Speaker 1: Comedy Up Broadway in Lexington welcomes Mike Armstrong, Mark's twenty seventh through the twenty ninth. Then it's the Lexington debut of Laurie kill martin April third through the fifth, and catch rising comedy stars Sam tallon April eleventh and twelfth. Comedy Up Broadway opened in downtown Lexington in nineteen eighty seven, and they're still bringing the best and stand up comedy to the area at thirty eight years later. Call eight five ninety two seven one joke or visit Comedy Up Broadway, dot com Off Broadway.
Speaker 2: Welcome into Kentucky Sports Radio. Drew Franklin here filling in one last time for Matt Jones and everyone else that took vacation this week. I got another fun show planned on a Friday with Billy our Sports Here. We're in studio. I just set down like thirty seconds ago, so I'm a little out of breath, but we're gonna have a fun time Billy Today, we're as usual sponsored by TJ Smith, personal injury lawyer. What will TJ do with If you give me a call, I'll make them pay. He will absolutely make them pay. We want to hear from you on the Clark's Pumping Shop phone line eight five nine to A two two eight seven, we'll have our Whiskey Thief call of the day. And if you want to text Matt on the a Vision Autoglass text machine, he's still over looking at Tulips in Amsterdam with his fellowship friends. You can reach out to him there. But it gonna be a fun one. I had a big plan for you know, Lexington turns two hundred and fifty this year, Billy. I don't know if you've seen them all, but town's all about Lexton's birthday coming up. So I wanted to do a celebration of Lexington. I even invited the Mayor to come on and give her some of her favorite Lexington things. She was gonna be here at eleven, and she asked if she could do ten fifteen, and it's like, okay, we'll make that work. And then the Kayden Lewis news dropped in the middle of the night, so I hope she has a Kayden Lewis takes when she gets here. But Mayor Linda Gordon will be joining us. Like I said, we'll get her takes on Lexington. We'll share some of our favorite things about Lexington. And I have a ticket giveaway. You gotta giveaway today. Tick. Actually, I wasn't gonna say ticket giveaway is gonna surprise everyone. I have a giveaway. Just pretend I didn't say ticket.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: We'll scratch that out. But I was trying to think of a game. I was over here in the other room coming up with it on the fly. I think I'm gonna reward people that listen to the whole show. Okay, I like that. So I'm gonna give a buzzword in each segment, and you gotta know the of the first hour. You gotta know all four buzzwords, one for each segment. The second hour, we'll take calls and you cannot participate unless you know all four of the buzzwords. Oh okay, So if you're out there, just write it down. If you're driving, make a mintal note until you can pull over. It won't be complicated words, just one word a segment. I'll let you know which word it is, and then we'll have some calls and one lucky caller will will you know win if they're.
Speaker 4: The mayor of Lexington and a giveaway On the final day of Drew Palooza.
Speaker 2: I mean, what more could you want? You came up with a game we're gonna try to get to. Probably won't because I overprogram all of this and we got thrown off with you Kaden Lewis news. But it's gonna be a fun day. I guess we're calling it Drew Palooza's last ride, my last last time in charge. But I guess we do have to start with the big news. Think. Yeah, we've had a lot of news, a lot of basketball this week. I was excited to get extra goofy today, but yep, more news dropped last night. First, I want to apologize to at Kevin Miller seven, longtime listener. He tweets us a lot. After yesterday's show, he tweeted, Drew Palooza started with great news and the commitment. Hopefully it ends with good news in a commitment on Friday. Well, Kevin, At, we actually went the other direction. Instead of a plus one today, Kentucky basketball is a minus one. We learned last night to Kayden Lewis, the four star point guard from DC who has been committed to Kentucky since November. He looked around at that roster and said, I'm out. He decommitted from the Cats. He's the number thirty two incoming freshman in the class fifth rank point guard, a guy we were very excited about having he and Jasper Johnson. Pope spoke hoghy of them as a future backcourt, but last night he stepped away and reopened his recruitment. He will not be a Wildcat. He put a little memo out that said, I'll always be grateful to Coach Pope and the entire Kentucky staff for believing in me. Is clear Kentucky is a special place with an amazing fan base. But as I reflect on what is best for my future, I have decided to reopen my recruitment. It's an incredibly difficult decision, but after a lot of discussion with my family and people I trust, I feel it's necessary. It's not in any way a reflection of negative feelings towards Coach Pope in Kentucky. I appreciate your understanding exciting for what the future holds. We didn't see that one coming, Billy No, and it's disappointing.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is a freshman that was going to come in that understood what it means to be a part of BBN. His family was a big fan of what the Kentucky basketball program does in the stage that it sets for others.
Speaker 2: But I'm not that worried.
Speaker 4: I have the confidence that Pope will be able to reload find another person in the transfer portal. Ultimately it will be okay. But overall disappointing that he wasn't willing to compete. I found a quote when he signed that he said, they want me to come in and play a priority role right away. There's a starting spot and he wants me to take it. I want to come in and run the team. And obviously with the addition of Jalen Lowe, I guess he just thought that he wasn't going to be the starting point guard.
Speaker 2: Yeah. My take on it is it definitely hurts to lose a kid that was committed for five We're all excited about him. He was probably gonna I know he said he wanted to start right away. I think that was unlikely he was. I think the plan was to make him the starting point guard his sophomore year in twenty six twenty seven, after a kind of a year and being in the system as a backup. I think Pope was supposed to go out and get a senior, and when you miss on Dent and maybe some others, he goes and gets Jayalen low who's a junior to here. Now that's thrown off the math in the timeline. So my guess on the outside looking in is Kayden Lewis was ready to back up whoever they got out of the portal, learn and then be the guy in two years. But now with Low here, you know he could end up being a two year point guard. That probably is the plan. So it stinks to lose him. I'm not going to act like it's nothing, but I don't know that it'll have a huge impact on next season. I think they'll go out, they'll find someone in the portal that's excited to come play ten fifteen minutes at Kentucky, be a good backup to low They got other guards that can do it. But you know, it does stink overall because we were excited to have him, and I think he was going to be the guy two years from now. I suppose we won't really know how it shakes out. So he's a sophomore and Lowe's a senior to know how he won that one. Because right now he's a freshman. He could show up and be a freshman phenom right, or he could be someone that needs some time. But it did stink seeing that news pop up late last night. Yeah, we'll see where he falls.
Speaker 4: You know, there's been rubblings about Yukon and that was in his recruitment back when he committed back to Kentucky. But I'm with you, I think that Pope will find somebody in the portal. Do you call kirkriesa back?
Speaker 2: I mean that, I'll admit that popped in my head pretty quickly, because they're gonna need that type. They're gonna need an old guy who just wants to get a little NIO money in his last ride, doesn't have to be the star, happy to come off the bench, maybe can go chase a final four. There's probably several people in college basketball that aren't even in the portal that would love that spot. So I don't think they'll have any trouble filling it. But I did think of Kirk right away. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, maybe that's like getting back with your ex, but I don't know if there were hard feelings there. I feel like he loved the university, but Matt has eluded some maybe things behind closed doors.
Speaker 2: I don't know. It's it's just a strange time.
Speaker 4: I mean, the portals still open for another what eleven days or so, and and guys that are entering the portal maybe haven't even done that yet. So it's just the strange time. But you know, drew Palooza ending with a d commitment. I did not see that coming after all the positive momentum we had.
Speaker 3: Drew.
Speaker 2: I feel bad. You know, we've added I think two players. You're still plast one three players. Yeah, well if you count, wasn't there one last Saturday? And lo Low was on Saturday, So I'm weekend. I'm still We're still in the green. But as as keV Miller seven suggested, you know, I wanted to come here and one one last addition to the roster before I disappear. And I just feel like I'll let everyone down.
Speaker 4: Well that and if we don't get to alien talk in the second hour, you'll let some more people.
Speaker 2: People are mad about that. Again, I have way too much in my notes. I wanted to do Aliens. I really want to talk about Lexington. As I said, the mayor is going to be joining us soon. We were shooting to do that eleven, but she needed to come in a little earlier, which is fine. We'll get her a Kaden.
Speaker 3: Lewis takes and alien takes.
Speaker 2: No, we're just going to talk aliens with Mayor Linda Gorton. But it's gonna be a fun show. Like I said, you want to listen to the whole show. I'm going to drop a buzzword every action. We'll just do it right now. What's your first first segment? If you're driving, do not write it. I get ready, right, buckle up, put your phone down. If you're driving, just memorize it or tell it to everyone in the car with you, memorize it together, and then write it down when you get parked. But uh, just for this segment, the buzzword is lady, lady, lady. It's pretty easy, right you remember lady? Easy easy. I'm not trying to like confuse anyone, you know, not to really use your brain here, Just lady. Who's that?
Speaker 3: Lady?
Speaker 2: Exactly? Lady? Remember lady. If you're listening, you'll need to remember it in the second hour if you want to win our contest. But yeah, we're going to get to a lot about Lexington celebrating that two hundred and fiftieth birthday. I want to list some my favorite restaurants and places because people ask me all the time, where do you like to go? Where should I go before the game? What do you do in your free time? And I try to respond to a lot of them. But now that I have this platform, I'll just tell you and you all can figure it out and go from there. Billy, you haven't lived in Lexington long, but I know you like living here. I'm gonna get some of your your favorite places, what you like to do. I got a couple spots, not all golf courses. And you can't just read our sponsors. I mean, I know we like our sponsors. Damn.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well then I'll get it out of the way now, like you should go to a Talx and Poppies and all the great places.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess, John, Yeah, yeah, No, I mean we love the ones that support us. Those are genuine. But we're gonna branch out and tell you about some others that we don't always tell people.
Speaker 3: Sounds good.
Speaker 2: Maybe maybe some Lexington ghosts those exists. I could combine you know that I saw on Reddit, which is the most reliable website on Earth. Earlier this week that people were freaking out about a UFO over Lexington.
Speaker 3: Over Lexington.
Speaker 2: I think it was just someone with a drone. But you know, we'll get whacky if we need to here on a Friday, maybe do some alien ghosts Lexington talk, but be a big Lexington Day. We'll do a little more about a kayd and Lewis. Like I said, Linda Gordon will be here in here soon. It's gonna be a fun last Friday before the boys get back. I actually heard from Ryan Lemon last night, so I know he's alive. He asked me a question about the Masters, just out of the blue. That's the only thing he's communicated, so I I correct. I answered that. But that's that was my at least proof of life on Ryan and Shannon down there. Yeah, I saw a seagull pooped on him yesterday. Oh I didn't see that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Shannon posted a picture.
Speaker 2: Okay, I did see a picture. Yoga girl posted a picture of Ryan and Shannon together. Are they holding hands? Yeah? I mean it's a big ocean, guys, you don't have to stand that close together when you're in it. It looked like they were hugging. I saw that twenty yards out in the water. They're they're pretty close to uh getting a banana boat and floating around. I think looks like the guys are having a good time. Ryan also tweeted a picture of him eating a sandwich and Shannon eating a sandwich. I don't know if it was blurry because he had mayo on his lens or if that's kind of how Ryan's vision looks after a few marks today, But it looks like they're having fun before they join us next week. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Somebody said that he took that picture with a seashell and it kind of looks like, well, we do miss him. We've had fun, but it'd be good to get him back on Monday. Let's let's take a quick break because I'm a little worried about running into the uh the herd break with with Mary. Yeah we are going to Yeah, that would be the worst. So let's let's cut out a little earlier now so we have more time with her. Talk a little lexton. Like I said, big show plans, So tune in and remember, lady, we'll be right back. Welcome back in to Kentucky Sports Radio. Drew Franklin with Billy Rudlige on the last day of Drew Palooza. And now we're happy to be joined by our by our special guest, Lexington Mayor Linda Gordon. Linda, it's good to have you in here.
Speaker 2: Thanks for making the trip up to the iHeart Studios to celebrate Lexingon with us for a segment.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm thrilled to be here.
Speaker 6: I didn't know it was a palooza though, well it Drew Paloza.
Speaker 2: That wasn't the plan, but listeners named it that, so we just went with it.
Speaker 5: It works.
Speaker 2: We'll get you a T shirt on the way out and maybe a poster. But I wanted we're talking about Lexington today and who knows Lexingon as well as you, so I wanted to get some things, uh not so serious, just more things like what are your favorite restaurants, what's this? What's that? But I want to start with the excitement around you. K basketball. You're a UK graduate if I'm not mistaken. I don't know if you get to attend many games. But are you Are you caught up in the Mark Pope pipe after the last season?
Speaker 5: Oh I am.
Speaker 6: I am right there with everybody. I bleed blue. My husband's a graduate, our kids are graduates.
Speaker 5: We are all in.
Speaker 6: We go to a lot of the games, and Mark Pope is he's a phenomenal coach and a phenomenal human being. And when he first came, I went last summer to visit him and welcome him to our city, welcome him back, right, and he one of the one of the first things he said is how can I help you? He's such a he has a giving mentality, but he is also a man, I think, a very high character, don't you.
Speaker 2: Absolutely we all see that. I think that's part of the excitement. It's been revamped up here lately.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and so we're gonna see what this new team looks like.
Speaker 5: It's kind of fun, isn't it.
Speaker 2: It's hard to keep up when we had news drop last night. Now, I'm not going to have you break down the I don't want to put you on the spot. I'm sure you have strong opinions about the roster right now, but you mentioned mentioned welcoming Pope back to Lexton. My next question is I want to pretend like Billy here does not know anything about Lexington. Just pretend he's an alien that has never heard of our beautiful city. How would you describe Lexington to to young billy here?
Speaker 6: Well, first, I would say, where in the heck have you been? We are a great city, billy. Lots of food, restaurants, local restaurants, lots of uh facilities for bike riding, pedestrians.
Speaker 5: Going to ride your bike.
Speaker 6: The the restaurant scene, I think is just phenomenal here. It's highly educated city. The downtown's vibrant, it is alive. I've had some unnamed other mayors in town after five and they have been shocked at how busy our downtown is.
Speaker 5: It's really great. A lot going on sports.
Speaker 6: If you like sports, this is the place to be because we've got it all here.
Speaker 2: Right, I'm gonna put you on the spot with some some restaurants. I consider myself a bit of a foodie. You know, if you're going out, whether it be meeting with other mayors or just taking the family out, can you name drop some some places you like to go? Is that putting you on the spot?
Speaker 6: You're asking me to name drop in a city with all kinds of I mean Italian, I have my favorite Italian restaurants.
Speaker 5: You want me to really say them, don't you.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know you love them all, but maybe.
Speaker 5: Sa so so uh fella.
Speaker 6: And my daughter's high school class started Goodfellas on the street. We all love good Fellas, of course everybody does. We've I've got my favorite place for ahi tuna.
Speaker 5: Do you like ah?
Speaker 6: Of course, my gosh, We've got it all. Brunch places, We've got after hours places go have some appetizer and a drink. And you really, I know you're dying for me to say that.
Speaker 2: That's okay. I understand if we don't. We don't want you to put others.
Speaker 5: Because so many that's true.
Speaker 2: How about when you were at UK a student just a few years ago, were there any places that you like to go that are maybe gone and you wish you could bring back. Did you have any places you'd frequent when you were in school?
Speaker 5: There?
Speaker 6: There are so On South Lime, there was a place called Doodle's Pizza. Now this is going way back, and Doodles had the thickest cheese on top.
Speaker 5: Of course I love cheese.
Speaker 6: But at that time my husband and I were dating and we were young, and I could share a large pizza with it right on. So that one's gone. I really, We've thought about that a lot over the years.
Speaker 5: And.
Speaker 6: Did you ever I shouldn't maybe mention this, but only the people who are a long time ago will remember shoes shoes s. I think it was s h U E S or something. It was right across from the Med Center and on Friday night, all the nursing students which I was one, and the med students would go and they had pizza and big pictures of beer and it was the end of the week and the stress levels were high.
Speaker 5: It was fun place to go.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't know if you have the power to do this, but I miss the old KA layer that was by Hagen Hall, which also isn't here. I don't know if you can pull any stream. There's there's a new k layer, which is fine, but I missed the original maybe the original ovids, those were good ones. If you had like a free day with no obligations, what do you think you would do in Lexington?
Speaker 6: Well, well, the first thing is I'm not setting an alarm clock. We all kind of get that right. I won't set an alarm clock. And then I'll have a leisurely morning having my coffee and reading the paper and I like to work a puzzle. I mean a you know, crossword puzzle.
Speaker 2: I do the New York Times Mini every morning.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And then I would probably have a friend or two or three and go out to brunch at one of my favorite places, take a long walk. I like to walk in the Arboretum. Have you ever been over there? Of course yep, and just kind of putts around, read a book.
Speaker 5: I might go to a movie. I love movies. I don't have a lot.
Speaker 6: Of time for them, but since I have a day off compliments of.
Speaker 2: Years, yeah, no obligations, yep, it.
Speaker 6: Would be great that way. And then I'd probably go out to dinner with my husband.
Speaker 5: We would not.
Speaker 2: Cook too many options. Right here, it's Keenland season. You mentioned you're busy and don't get days off, But do you get to enjoy Keenland? I do.
Speaker 6: I will be going in a day or two. I can't remember exactly when, but I love Keenland, and you know Keenland. So when I grew up, I was growing up in Ohio. I'm an import A long time ago, and no one up there could understand why do you talk about horses because they're not horse country like we are, and it's very special, and Keenland has this beautiful new edition which I can't wait to see. Plus they give back big time to our community. They give a ton of money to nonprofits and other entities. They're a real good community partner. But I love the racing, don't you. It's very special, and whenever I go, I always like to go down to the rail at least once and hear the snorting and the hoof beats as the horses come by there. It's just very it's really unique.
Speaker 2: Winners because I'm not I can pick the last place horse anytime you want, but I don't do well well.
Speaker 5: You have to look at the name.
Speaker 6: Of course, if there's a gray, you you know you pick the gray. But I'm not very good at it. I just do it more on sentimental things that I like. So it's good though. It's really fun.
Speaker 2: You mentioned giving back to the community. I've told my listeners this week. I recently accepted a acting role at the Lexa and Children's Theater. In fact, my costume fitting is right after the show. This is a big deal. And I saw in past performances you were listed as one. Do you did you do that? Do you have any tips, any acting tips.
Speaker 5: I did that twice.
Speaker 6: So I was in The Little Mermaid and then before that, I was in Alice in Wonderland, Okay, and that was really fun. That's where I met Jeremy Ashby the chef. It's where I met Peter Bainiac who was a ver Old leader. Craig Camak was in it. We had we had some fun times. And you know, there was a there was a little tea ceremony with the teapot and it might have had some special bluegrass tea.
Speaker 2: Oh I hope I get some blue grass tea. And Romeo?
Speaker 5: Oh is it Romeo and Julie?
Speaker 2: Are you rome I did not get Romeo. I don't. I don't think I had the jaw structure to be Romeo. Yeah, I'm count Parish. I think I think I die. I think I think I'm going. I don't know that to script yet. That was my next question, Well, now, how prepared do I need to be for this?
Speaker 5: Well? Not real prepared?
Speaker 6: Okay, good cool, But what you need to do is speak loudly, which you can do okay, so everybody hears you. And then the bad thing was during Alice in Wonderland, a fella in the audience passed out, so the whole thing stopped. It kind of you know, it was kind of bad. They had to get him out with ems and then we restarted the play.
Speaker 2: Wow, was it from the blue grass tea? Did he have too much bluegrass tea?
Speaker 5: No, he was He was an observer. He was not in it.
Speaker 6: I tell you just have fun and you you know, know a little bit about your lines, but I shouldn't say that.
Speaker 5: They probably want you to memorize.
Speaker 2: Well. We had lexing and actor Josh Hopkins on earlier in the week and he told me I should already know my lines at this point because it's in two weeks. And he told me to bring out my drewness. And I don't really know what that means, but you know, he's a Hollywood actor, So I actually like your advice better. If you'll be fine, just have some of the teeth.
Speaker 5: It's it's a great it's a great thing.
Speaker 6: And you know, knowing you're in that, I maybe ought to come see that cackle from the audience, right, this could.
Speaker 2: Be the beginning of an acting career. I might leave, I might join the other guys and just leave Billy here.
Speaker 5: You might love it.
Speaker 2: Speaking of the other guys, you've had fun on the show before, You've been very good to us. You named it Shannon the due day when he did his fifty mile walk. We were proud of him and one of my favorites. You and the wrestler Kane.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, of.
Speaker 2: Course I remember. I'll grew up watching wrestling and there you are standing next to Kane and you all had a bet. Huh I forget, did you? I forgot? Yeah? Okay do we?
Speaker 6: He had to put on a UK T shirt and of course we had to find one that would fit.
Speaker 5: He's about twice as tall as me. Right, Oh yeah, but that was fun.
Speaker 6: I won the bet and he put on the T shirt and I'll never forget.
Speaker 5: We've got a picture of from the back him.
Speaker 6: I'm standing beside him and he's showing off his UK blue.
Speaker 5: I was so happy.
Speaker 6: I'd have had a really hard time wearing.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and you could take Kane if a fight broke out too, Oh yeah, we got well, we had your back.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I you know, I would have to think about my technique. I used to, so you probably don't know, little known I have a brown belt in karate yekwondo. I could still do my roundabout kick.
Speaker 2: We're up and gets a hard break. I hate to get cut off, but thank you for coming in today. Really appreciate. We're going to keep talking about Lexington for everyone listening at home.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: The keyword in this segment is universal. So right that down we're doing. We're doing a game. But thank you again, Mayor. We really appreciate. I wish we could stay longer. We got to take a quick break, and Billy and I will be right back.
Speaker 5: Thanks Drew.
Speaker 2: I am not Matt Jones. We'll keep correcting that this week until I can get my own little bumper there, Billy. Maybe for next Drew Palooza, we can have that deep voice.
Speaker 3: Gmbilly is on it.
Speaker 2: Okay, good job. I will say, Billy, you feel like you're you're weighed down today. It looks like you're weighed down by some high interest debt. Oh well, if that's okay. Maybe I'm miss getting a misread here, Maybe I'm misreading you. But let's say you are Stockton Mortgage can help you use the equity in your home to pay it down and breathe easier. Start today at Stockton dot com. You can turn your equity into opportunity. Stockton Mortgage can help homeowners use their homes value to consolidate debt or fun big goals. Whether you're buying or improving, Stockton makes the process simple. One is E loan one fresh start. Find out how it's Stockton dot com Stockton Mortgage with locations all around the state and there what they're growing exactly. Visit Stockton dot com Stockton Mortgage n m l S eight two five nine Equal Housing lender.
Speaker 3: Sound like stone Cold a little bit there?
Speaker 2: What what? That was fun having Mayor Gordon. I wish we could have had her a little longer. That heard break and Waite's for no one. But she had some meetings to get to stuff a lot more important than us. But it is a fun time around Lexington with the two hundred and fiftieth celebration going on. There's events all month, next month, all summer. Go to visit lex dot com to check it out. She gave us these very cool two fifty lex pins. Yes you wearing yours yet? No, not yet, I'll put it on.
Speaker 3: Though.
Speaker 4: She is very nice, but I did feel like she was a little bit like your parent saying who their favorite kid is with the restaurants.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was trying. I was trying.
Speaker 4: I didn't want to say names, but I understand that you don't want to put anybody down.
Speaker 2: I thought about continuing to press her a little bit, but it was clear she didn't want to name specific restaurants. But it was fun hearing from her. As we continue the Lexton celebration, let's just talk a little Lexington before we get to the second hour, and we'll get wacky and talk about golf and other things. We'll do a whole hour of Lexington. Billy, you know you're you sponsor Italx, which I'm sure you love love. I celebrated a birthday there a couple of years ago. I enjoyed it right here on the corner. We could walk and get lunch there today if you want to. But let's say you and Marissa are going out out a place that doesn't pay you. What what do you all like to do in lection? I know you haven't been here too many years, but you've been here long enough to get a feel for the place.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's funny because the Tallex was our favorite restaurant before I ever sponsored it, So that's where it initially went, but I'm not saying that just because I'm a company man. A couple other places that we've been to. I think there's some obvious ones when you go for fine dining, like Jeff Rubies and Tony's, But like when you find like the Carsons, when you come here and you find like a Ramsey's, maybe for like a lunch, I mean.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's something with restaurants with the guy's name in it. I feel like that there's something to it there. So those are in my top three. Of course you've partaken in those, right, I know you're a regular Jeff Rubies.
Speaker 2: I'll pop in there from time to time. You're right about Carsons, though, it's anytime anyone asks for suggestion, it's usually top of my list. Also, it helps that it's downtown. Most of the time people are asking me they're going to a game or something at RUP right, I usually steer them that direction, one off the grid that a lot of people might not know about. I hope I'm not giving away too many secrets. What's that if you're downtown near up Bootle Lounge.
Speaker 3: Boot Lou I've never been to Boodle Lounge.
Speaker 2: It's pretty good sushi over our Mill Street. Is it sushi? It is sushi. It's not that big of a place, so that right now I have friends that are probably mad at the radio that I'm giving away our secrets. Check out boot A Lounge. Also went to in that area again, the downtown restaurants here. This one just opened fairly recently. I went to a place called three ten the other day. It's on Short Street. Bow buns. You like bow buns? I do, yeah, go get some bow buns at three ten.
Speaker 4: See, I'm righting now, not only the buzzwords of the day, but restaurants. So I can check out and thanks for mom me, let's go and get this bus.
Speaker 3: Do you want to give your buzzword now?
Speaker 2: Yeah. We want to make sure everybody's listening the whole time. This one is I guess it's actually two words, white house, white house. Okay, don't say the other two. We can't be letting people know what they've been. You got to listen the whole time.
Speaker 3: I wonder if there's a theme with these words.
Speaker 2: There could be, there could not be. If you haven't been able to tell this week been a little chaotic my brain. I feel like it's going into a thousand places. So maybe these words are just what's popping in my head.
Speaker 4: So let's say Drew Franklin's getting a sandwich. You got like a deli spot or like a cheeseburger you really like in town.
Speaker 2: I never thought you'd ask what. I'm gonna try to go there before my costume fitting. Big Blue Deli right now, been there yet? I have?
Speaker 4: They had a Mario sandwich there for a limited time that I'd love to get sometime. Main Street Deli is one that's right here in the city center is another one that you should check out if you haven't. You know, we've had a sponsor on the pre show in the past, North Lime Coffee and donuts, but also Spaldings. Has to be brought up if you're a bakery donut type of guy in the morning, right.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna pull a Mayor Gordon here when it comes to election donuts. You can't make me say one's better than the other. We have an incredible doles. Wow, we have an incredible donut scene. Frank's Spaldings north Lime already started naming. I'm gonna leave some out. The one that just opened by Chaos Bar Jeff's. I haven't been to that. I'm worried about my guy Ryan. He's going to Jeff's a little too often. I mean it's at least once a week. He walks in with a bag in his hand and he's gotten me an apple fritter.
Speaker 4: He's a big apple fretter to start the day. McDonald's iced coffee.
Speaker 2: That's Ryan Lemon. And you got your pizza spots. Pizza spots, we're also overwhelmed by pizza.
Speaker 4: I mean, I mean Linda mentioned good Fellas. I think that's that's iconic, right, I mean.
Speaker 2: It's one of my good drinking spot too. If you go to the one on in the Distillery District, no one's got a little bit more going on. Not the og over here, the little one. You don't be drinking in there. Yeah that, Just get your slice and go over there, especially late at night. We don't want any trouble. But one in Distillery district's good. I find myself at a rolling oven over They have several but a mere twin. If you want to find me out, good chance in there. It's pretty close to the house. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think this is a chain, but i've been to is it like red Tomato or something like.
Speaker 2: Also by my house. Yeah, pizza boy, my house. You got a lot of restaurants.
Speaker 4: Linda was right, I mean this is a great scene for food.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course, Chaos Bar. Gotta go to k if you're going to a game.
Speaker 4: Come on, can we can we include Proud Mary Barbecue in that list. I know it's a little outside of town, but they've been underwater.
Speaker 2: Yes, I feel like I feel terrible for Proud Mary. I go there every labor date, no memorial date. I get those backwards, which is one in September. I don't Labor day. No, really, they're they're bad underwater right now. That on a serious note, hope things straightened out there. I have a Proud Mary story. I wasn't gonna say, but since you brought it up, I'm not proud of this. I walked out on a tab there last fall. Yeah, me and my dad and my wife, we went every every labor slash Memorial day, whichever it is. They have a Jimmy Buffett party with the conquer Public, you cover band they got. They have multiple bars, and I had like a tab at this bar where we ate lunch because we got there early in eight, but then the party moves downstairs, so I'm getting some margs over at this bar. It was just we had a good time. We'll leave it with that. But then I get home and I look at my credit card statement and there was just like one charge from Proud Mary's for like thirty dollars. I'm like, oh, I did a lot more than thirty. But being the kind hearted, responsible, honest person I am, I spent the next two weeks trying to get someone on the phone, and I finally just went down there and said, I owe you all money, and they found the tab that I walked out on and I paid it. But UH got a good connection there. I always have a good time there, and I hope they get things straightened up.
Speaker 3: You're a good man. And it was not intentional.
Speaker 2: It was always definitely not intentional. We were singing cheeseburger and Paradise. You know, if things got a little blurry, I just forgot to close out. But if you've ever accidentally walked out on a tab, hopefully you've never done it intentionally. You should always make good on that because you know the person needed a tip. I didn't at the time. I had tip there. I had to make up for my tip be good to your restaurants.
Speaker 4: Let me give you another category. Yeah, because you are the one that comes in last after a night out.
Speaker 2: What's the bar? See?
Speaker 3: Like, give me a couple of bars that Drew would hit on a normal well.
Speaker 2: I mentioned Mayor Twin. There's a new country Boy popping up over by me. It's gonna put another country Boy location and Lexing. Yeah, breaking news, winding on ah. They put it on social media yesterday. It's like this huge facility. I was driving to the show and saw a country Boy logo on the side of this new building and I texted DH right away, what the hell is this? But it's pickleball, golf simulators and a country Boy tap room. What Yeah, That's really all I know right now, other than the fact that I'm gonna live there when it opens.
Speaker 4: Talk about another company that's growing. They opened a tap room in Louisville now at another location in Lexington.
Speaker 3: Can't go wrong with country Boy.
Speaker 2: Also, I like old Tommy bars. Okay. When I go to New York, I always go to mcsorley's. It's the oldest bar in New York. It's been there since like eighteen fifty. We don't have one that old, but Chevy Chase Chase said, has got to be close. I was there to watch the Final four. That's been there since nineteen thirty three. They do fun things like a Pappy van Winkle. It'll give it away, but you can get one poor for like costs, so it's just a few bucks. There's been horses in there saddled up. Have you ever been to a bar and rides a horse in an orders a bar in the bar. I don't think they've done that recently, but there are pictures of a dude just on a horse, bellied up against the bar, trying to get a drink.
Speaker 4: Well, if anywhere, I mean Lexington, Kentucky, right, Charlie Brown's is around the.
Speaker 2: Right cross street right for a bar. The White Russians.
Speaker 4: Harvey's at the Grove is right down here. I think that's kind of a hole in the wall spot that not a lot of people know.
Speaker 2: I have a Cci story. Since you set me up for it, Chevy Chesson, I was gonna tell. When I was there watching the Final Four, I met some women there whose father had just passed away. There they're paying tribute to him. He was a CCI legend, and in talking to them, I learned that he is actually just a lexing and legend and maybe like one of the bigger legends of all time. I'm gonna tell you quickly because they sent me a lot of information. I'm gonna just try to get the important stuff. Let me tell you about Charlie Chalkeye Cornet Chalki Cornet cast away a few weeks ago at ninety two years old. He'd be even at ninety two, he would be in n CCI, but his daughter stood out. They had homemade Houston hats with like duct tape that said Houston on them over whatever was on there. He must hate Duke so much they made Houston hats. But in meeting them, I learned so much about this guy. He was an Ashland Tomcat, played two sports there. Then he went to the Navy. And why I was in the Navy. He grew four inches playing basketball on the aircraft carrier team. So he's out there just balling, taking people to school while serving in the Navy, like Anthony Davis, just growing. Yes, he is the Anthony Davis of the Navy, is what they actually call him. He comes back to Kentucky on the GI Bill and then he just starts schooling the Fidland five and whatever is the equivalent of the JC back then, just you know, scrimmaging the guys that are on the Fidland five. He's just working them left and right. And UK assistant Harry Lancaster even said where the hell did this guy come from and told him to come back to play on varsity. He said, dress for varsity. We need you. But they only had a walk on spot and he was pretty broke and he couldn't afford what it would take to be a basketball player on his own dime. I think they said a lot of it was going hungry. He couldn't keep the weight, but Rupp offered him a walk on spot twice. He was that good. Never really got to follow through it other than a few weeks here and there. Now, this part of the story is confirmed by Jim Host, Mister Jim Host and Ralph Hacker. If you can't believe mister Jim Host and Ralph Hacker, what do we do? This isn't Drew Franklin telling you this. This is through family, through lore, through mister Jim Host and Ralph Hacker. After school, he was still a UK fan still lived in Lexing. Was that Chevy Chase in all the time. But in nineteen eighty three, Indiana came to town to Rup. We hate the Hoosiers, right, hate the Hoogiers. Well, Chalk and his buddy's got a suite at the Hyatt right there by Rup, and they quickly learned that Bob Knight was in the suite beneath him. So they partied all night long, playing beach music, stomping, making all the noise they could to distract Bob Knight. And this gets better. Bob steps out on his balcony to have a sick late night sick. I'm sure he's nervous playing the Cats. The next day, Chalk had to break the seal. So let's just say Chalk off his balcony above Bob Knight on his balcony. What went to the restroom outdoors off the side of his balcony with Bob Knight beneath him? Again, this is confirmed. This isn't me making things up for radio, but Bob Knight. You know, I don't know Bob got that much sleep that night. I don't know if he had to shower. I don't know what kind of contact was made in that situation. But things like that don't happen anymore.
Speaker 4: Bob Knight catching a stream from old Chalk Eye a floor below at the Hyatt before the game the next day.
Speaker 2: So there you go. Next day Kentucky won fifty nine to fifty four. Eat it, Bob Knight and the Captain RP of Chalk. I actually he did this topical. As I'm looking at the Masters on TV. He had a Thursday Master's party at his house every year. If I'm not mistaken, I wasn't there yesterday, but I think Chevy Chase in did the first annual Chalk's Memorial Chili Dog Party yesterday for the Master.
Speaker 4: A chili dog party in your memory. I can't think of nothing more than I would want.
Speaker 2: Now, there's a scholarship in his name for underprivileged students from eastern Kentucky. Like he was so wanted to shout out Chalk there. After meeting daughters at CCI, they gave me a bumper sticker that said he says I got drunk with Chalk or I drank with Chalk. There's a big poster of them in there. But to answer your question about a good drinking spot, if you're not from Lexington and want kind of some Lexington history, you should pop into Cci.
Speaker 3: Sounds like a Lexington legend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how about that? Yeah? Could you imagine someone doing at the Hyatt with like Todd Golden on the balcony beneath them.
Speaker 4: Now, I can definitely see the upstairs neighbor behavior. I mean, we've heard of fire alarms being pulled and antics to get people to stay awake during the night before, but the stream from a floor above, that's that is legendary stuff.
Speaker 2: Also being offered a walk on spot twice past eight five. But just no, I'll just sit here and work them in the in the campus whatever the gym was back then.
Speaker 3: Zach tawe before zach Town.
Speaker 2: Here you go. Maybe zach Taw has that future. Yeah, we'll come back with a little more Lexidon. Billy's got a game for us. We got people doing Chalk's move at the Masters into a creek. We don't we don't condone that, but we'll be right back. This is KSR. Welcome back to KSR. Drew Franklin on our last day alone where everyone comes back most everyone. Matt will have another week, but we'll have Ryan and Shannon back Ronald drive the show next week. Today we're celebrating Lexington turning two hundred and fifty this year. Love me some Lexington here. In a couple months, I will have lived in Lexington more than I lived in Madisonville. It just feels weird, is that? Right? As Lexington has become home. My parents moved here. I've been here almost twenty years. It's right around the corner. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And you've had some great memories, right, I mean you've gotten married in this town and I have ripped your pants in this town.
Speaker 2: My pants in this town.
Speaker 4: I mean, which time are you referring to? Well, I know of the one time. So it's music month in Lexton. Like going on could be part of the gamer' plan. I don't know, wink wink, But do.
Speaker 3: You want to have the buzzword?
Speaker 2: Do you want to do? Me to drop it now? The fourth buzz word will be given away a little bit if you don't already know, so I'll save it for the end of the segment. Don't let me forget that. I won't let you forget. But a lot of music things going on to Lexington. Visit lex dot com check it out. Let's do some notable Lexingtonians. In fact, in googling athletes because I didn't want to miss any I found a KSR post from five years ago called Ryan Lemon's top lex and An Athletes. No, I thought, what why am I looking anywhere else? If Ryan Lemmon has already done the show prep for me. Ryan Lemmon, who is on his six Marguerite and Panama City right now, did show prep for us today several years ago. So we're just gonna trust his top five. Yes, if we forget anyone out there, yell at Ryan, I'm just reading straight from Ryan's list.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: I did mix up his order though, just because you know, I wasn't sure if he listened to him, like as an actual ranking wasn't clear. But I'm just gonna start with our dear Yeah, in no order, in no order, Jack Gibbons, great stuff gotta be on the list, of course, broad Station High School. Goose was Golden Faces Golden forty one points in nineteen seventy eight. Eat It, Duke now killing it? Now kill Keller.
Speaker 4: Do you get to have many interactions with Jack? I know, Oh yeah, a lot. I've had him on the pre show a couple of Times. Just such a genuine guy. You know, talk to him in pre and post game as well. He's always helping with doing this with Andrew Cappus and stuff. Will always give you the time of day. And he's also a golf coach. I think he's the coach at a high school.
Speaker 2: Let's go golf with Jackson Times. Set up, Billy what I'm saying. Also, bron Station DERMONDI Dawson Pro Football Hall of Fame, seven time NFL Pro Bowler. He's in the Steelers Ring of Honor in the NFL All Decade Team in the nineteen nineties. Maybe one of the best offensive linemen to ever play in the NFL right here at Lexingtonian.
Speaker 4: Quite an impressive list so far. You can get me two strong names.
Speaker 2: And Ryan has given you the two names. I'm just reading them. That's true.
Speaker 3: Ryan is doing this.
Speaker 2: Tyson Gay Lafayette High School. Second fastest man ever, Fastest American in one hundred meters nine point six to nine seconds. Only Usain Bolt was faster.
Speaker 3: Did not know he was from Alexico.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's as Ryan notes in his notes here. Second fastest man alive. I don't think he ever got the Gold medal, but won gold in the Olympics, but in several other events World Championships Holly Holly decorated Track and Field Star.
Speaker 4: You dedicate your life to this craft and you just happen to be at the same time that bolts running. Yeah, that he takes all your records.
Speaker 2: Fastest American we'll call him there, Yeah, fast Fastest Lexingtonian John T. Bone Shelby, Henry Clay, two time World Series champ. One one is an ol oriole and one is a Dodger in the eighties and one of his sons, at least one of his sons went on to play for UK. But a baseball legend here. I think Ryan might even have him first be in baseball.
Speaker 4: Well that's a Ryan Lemon ranking then and cool to win with two different teams.
Speaker 3: That's Impressive's right?
Speaker 2: And Ryan's last one is Frank Minifield from Henry Clay played college football at Louisville, made four NFL Pro Bowls and the nineteen eighties All Decade Team defensive back. So other than going to Louisville, we'll let that slide. But another football legend from here in Lexington.
Speaker 4: Pretty good list, a lot of professional success with the athletes listed.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. How about since it's music month, you want to do some musicians, Yes, would love to. We have not one, but two Backstreet Boys.
Speaker 3: There's two backs.
Speaker 2: Show me another city that had two Backstreet Boys born in one of them mathematically Kevin Richardson Friend of the Program. He went to Estell County High School, and I did thorough research to make sure he was born in Lexington, and the internet seems seems pretty clear he's he's Lexing and born even though he didn't go to school here. Okay, so we're gonna claim here. And his cousin Brian Latrell went to Tates Creek. Kevin even called Brian's like, hey, we got a spot opening. Backstree Boys, get out here. It's gonna it's gonna be awesome. And then that, of course worked out, so two Backstree boys. And then another friend of the program has been on this show, Chris Kle, the bassis for five Finger Death Punch, went to the Lafayette Wow talk about it.
Speaker 3: Uh, completely different genre, but yes, oh, I.
Speaker 2: Just realized I gotta do my buzzword. Let me okay, don't forget your I think it's gonna give it away last buzzword. You got to know all four to call in and then second hour, yorn yo, you are apostphe end so we had well I almost read them all, not read them all. Write that one down. If you've been listening since the beginning, you should have all four buzzwords and we'll tell you how you can enter to win this contest. For now, we'll take another break. Billy and I will be right back with maybe more lexingon, but definitely more on the masters to Kayden Lewis News around BBN as we enjoyed the last day of Drew Palooza. This is Drew and Billy downtown lexing in iHeart Studio. We'll be right back