Speaker 1: And broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong, Joe.
Speaker 2: Katty Armstrong, and Kattie I know Hee Armstrong and Getty strong Man.
Speaker 3: Philadelphia Zoo announced last week that a pair of nearly one hundred year old tortoises recently welcome their first hatchlings. You may have seen the tortoises on the MTV show ninety nine and.
Speaker 2: Pregnant markets are surging.
Speaker 4: If you're listening to us live, so the bounce back has begun, and get into that later. Also, latest polling on the whole tariff thing, get into that later also. And oh and I just saw the real ID deadline is a month away.
Speaker 2: This is going to be my all time greatest.
Speaker 4: Hit screw up because it's been I've seen it coming for so long and known the entire time for years that at some point I will be at an airport ready to get on a plane someplace I need to go, yes, and they'll say, we no longer accept your driver's license, you need your real ID. Even though I knew it for years, I am that is going to happen to me. I like your high school teacher.
Speaker 5: Assigned you a book report due in twenty years and you waited until the last night and you're up all night, right, that is going to happen to me? Yeah, it's funny, Judy, And I heard that report, and I have a feeling. I spoke for many, many millions of Americans when I said, do we have real IDs?
Speaker 2: I've completely lost track? Is ours real?
Speaker 5: She looked at it and said, yeah, yes, we do. How that happened? I don't record?
Speaker 2: Well, I sure don't have one.
Speaker 4: Are you sure? I'm positive you might. When did you last for new year license? I don't know so. Uh so your driver's license? Is it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Oh it is?
Speaker 4: Well, maybe I did have a real like the updated does it have like a hologrammy looking thing on there?
Speaker 2: Or yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, maybe I do have it done and done, sir.
Speaker 4: That's my point. Nobody has any idea part Yeah.
Speaker 5: So, speaking of economics and that sort of thing, which a lot of people are doing these days in reference to the tariffs.
Speaker 2: But to this too shall pass, I hope eventually. Uh And and.
Speaker 5: Some of the support and lack of support are coming from some interesting areas for the tariffs, and we can talk about that more later, but I'm kind of tariffed out.
Speaker 2: We brought this up kind of briefly at the end of the show.
Speaker 4: You see, I could talk about tariffs for many more hours.
Speaker 2: Well you should feel free. How about one room over anyway?
Speaker 5: I found this so interesting, big survey of America's employers, especially manufacturers. They cannot find reliable, conscientious workers who can pass a drug test. A good worker, like a good man, can be hard to find these days. And who is this writing in? Alicia Finley, who I think is a terrific writer, But she says, blame government, which showers benefits on able bodied people who don't work well at the same time subsidizing college degrees that don't lead to productive employment, and the result is millions of idle men and millions of unfilled jobs, what an economist would call a dead weight loss to society.
Speaker 2: So failing the drug test?
Speaker 4: Is it mostly the marijuana, the Mary Jane, the lettuce, the hippie?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know. I suspect so though. Sure I think it's mostly pot. But I think that's just brilliantly.
Speaker 4: Simply put, we are showering benefits on able bodied people and subsidizing useless college degrees as as a people because the government is theoretically doing our work right, Well, I for one don't like either end of that anyway. Forty percent of small business owners and March reported job openings they could not fill. Construction companies fifty six percent said, yeah, we have unfilled jobs and we can't find anybody.
Speaker 2: Transportation, I have.
Speaker 5: A feeling that's mostly truck drivers fifty three percent manufacturing, which the President is, according to many people, admirably trying to shepherd back inside the country. More forty seven percent of manufacturers say, no, we've got openings we can't fill.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 5: So, according to the last week's National Federation of Independent Business survey, that might.
Speaker 4: Be a flaw in the president's plan that hasn't been discussed enough. He wants to bring back the fifties or seventies or whatever golden era of manufacturing that we used to have. But back then people would do those jobs. If half the manufacturing jobs out there you can't fill. Now, what if manufacturing did come back to the United States, who, in theory is going to do those jobs? Well?
Speaker 5: Not illegal immigrants, because thank god, the border has been closed and the statistics are astounding Biden was a scoundrel anyway.
Speaker 4: Was it going to be the woman's studies major from your local university that goes works, They're probably not. Well.
Speaker 5: It could well be the dudes who have no disability on disability who are heaved off of that system, but that would take some tough love, and that's not very popular politically speaking. I mean, if you go into one of the districts of the rust Belty places or Appalachia or whatever where you have just ludicrous levels of people on disability. Happened to read a couple things about this recently. Didn't flog you with it on the air. But if you go into those places and say we're kicking it off everybody on disability who's not like missing a limb, you will lose an election by seventy points, if that's even possible. Once people are on the dole man, once people have a benefit, whether legitimate or perhaps questionable, taking it away as political poison. As you know, Labor Department's job openings and labor turnover survey businesses tell a similar story. There are twice as many job openings in manufacturing now than in the mid two thousands as a share of employment save for the pandemic, America's workers shortage is the worst in fifty years. Decades ago, productivity, enhancing technology and yes, inexpensive imports costed men who worked on shop floors to lose their jobs and drop out of the workforce. But that generation is sailing into the sunset, and there are many fewer young Americans who want to work in factories. Listen to this now, the labor force participation rate among young among working age men is now about five percentage points lower than in the early eighties. Okay, this is not like the nineteen tens. This is the nineteen eighties, five points lower. As a result, there are about three and a half million fewer men between the ages twenty five and fifty four in the workforce, and one point three million between the ages of twenty five and thirty.
Speaker 4: Four in a significantly bigger population than we had in the eighties. Right then there would have been were it not for this decline. Labor participation among working age women, on the other hand, recently hit a record in part because they are having fewer children, and then people aren't coupling and that sort of thing. At the risk of stereotyping, women are more inclined toward helping professions such as services than those that require physical labor. Well, that's just true, it's undeniable. So I've not done a manufacturing sort of job before, so I don't know what it's like, but I certainly feel like there's a social stigma around it that doesn't help true.
Speaker 2: Why it is?
Speaker 4: Why there's not a social stigma around having a meaningless, soul deadening paper pushing job in a cubicle.
Speaker 2: I don't know why that is.
Speaker 4: I mean, maybe the other way around should be there shouldn't be any stigma around any jobs. Working for a living is considerably better than not whatever the hell you're doing.
Speaker 5: So why I at least the vestige of the twentieth century where a job where you used your brain as opposed to your back was seen as a higher status job.
Speaker 2: God, I don't know some of these jobs or you use your brain.
Speaker 4: That's barely not much, I mean, but they certainly don't seem like they'd be much more enjoyable as starter jobs.
Speaker 2: Right, Tedious is tedious.
Speaker 5: I had a sort of manufacturing job for one summer and it was pretty tedious, honestly. But I'm sure it is. You know why I go and went ahead and took it and kept it. It was because it paid pretty good.
Speaker 4: It was my best option, right, So yeah, you got and and well you should have to make a living.
Speaker 2: You got to support yourself somehow.
Speaker 4: No, you don't.
Speaker 2: What kind of monster are you listen to this? Would you?
Speaker 6: So?
Speaker 5: Where have all the good working men gone? Some are subsisting on government benefits, are living off their parents. About seventeen percent of working age men are on Medicaid, seventeen percent, seven and a half percent on food stamps, and six point three percent on Social Security, many claiming disability payouts. According to the Census Bureau. Many spend their days playing video games and day trading, well, day trading hilarious, speculating on meme stocks, or you tell somebody your day trading. I don't know how often you're actually trading and making any money, because you don't want to say I just play video games and live in my parents' basement, So you say you're your day trader. So I don't remember our a good friend, Craig the healthcare Genius's statistics. But if I remember correctly, originally Medicaid was only supposed to cover like a tiny percent people period.
Speaker 2: Now it's covering.
Speaker 4: Now it's covering, And that would have been like the old and you know people that I got all kinds of physical or mental problems.
Speaker 2: Now it's seventeen percent of.
Speaker 4: Working age men, not not like senior citizens.
Speaker 2: That's nice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a couple more stats. Other missing men are taking longer to finish college or pursuing graduate degrees. Only about forty one percent amen complete a bachelor's degree in four years, even though study after study shows they don't teach, you don't have to work.
Speaker 2: There's great inflation. It's dopey.
Speaker 4: Only forty one percent and a quarter take more than six years.
Speaker 2: Wow, because you're in no hurry to get out of college.
Speaker 4: My dad used to comment about perpetual college students, and I never really understood what he was talking about. And I'm sure it was a small number of people back when he was in college, but now it is a lot.
Speaker 2: Apparently. I'll just stay in college.
Speaker 4: I'll just keep borrowing money and because I'm too young or unwise to understand what I'm doing, and I'll just keep this game going. Of I get to sit around with my friends and discuss the world without ever having to.
Speaker 5: Engage in it. Yeah, and I have disability. My thumb hurts on Thursdays. Final stat then I will I will stop. We're just we are a fat, lazy, comfortable society. We're headed to front denial, right, we are headed straight toward France.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: The unemployment rate Jack considered this among recent college grads with a sociology degree is about seven percent, and their medium wage, if they do have a gig, is forty five thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: According to the Federal Reserve.
Speaker 5: Bank, Social grads can earn twice as much working on an auto assembly line, which pays an average hundred thousand dollars a year. Good gig, but not many want it. The reality is that masses a young people, writes Alicia Finley, who again as a genius, has been taught that capitalism is exploitive. They don't want to work in factories. They'd rather mooch off taxpayers or their parents. How CHORL Marx is that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Some of it is that, I'm sure, But I just I think a lot of it is just the cultural that would be embarrassing for your parents and for you if you worked over it the whatever factory. Yeah. More embarrassing in our current society than if you just live at home and you know you say you're a day trader. It's more embarrassing to have a job at a plant than to live with your parents.
Speaker 2: But I think it is.
Speaker 5: Or having taken six years to get an undergrad degree in gender studies, you're now getting a master's degree in the theoretical decolonialization of art, or whatever the s.
Speaker 4: They sometimes think for soft people. Man, there is no more iron law of humanity than that.
Speaker 6: Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty the Armstrong and Getty show.
Speaker 1: Thank You.
Speaker 4: In Los Angeles, jury has awarded a man fifty million dollars after he was seriously burned by a Starbucks drink. Now, the person got burnt pretty good, but I had to on his junk, on his junk and says he can't have sex anymore. Although you would make that argument if you're trying to get fifty million dollars. So whether that's accurate or not, I do not know. But and I'm not a lawyer, but I don't know how you work this out in society. On one hand, I'm going through the drive through at Starbucks. I don't deserve to be maimed for life.
Speaker 2: No, certainly not in my privets.
Speaker 4: On the other hand, it's an impossible expectation that nothing ever goes wrong ever, And you know, nailing down whether it was the employee's fault or the person in the car's fault is difficult. I mean, if you ever go to Starbucks and you get more than one drink, they give you that cardboard holder that the drinks fit in, and this person claimed that they didn't secure the tea in. It was sitting at an angle and then it spilled. Oh maybe it was or maybe you hit it on the window or with youurob or whatever. I don't know, but anyway, you can't get everything perfect all the time.
Speaker 2: Fifty million dollars.
Speaker 4: The problem with this, to me is what it's what drives so many of the things that make us nuts in life. The fact that the school won't let your kid play if it's rained the last two days, you have to stay inside for reassss because they might slip, and some jury will award one hundred million dollars. I mean, it's just it's an unworkable situation for society. So I don't and you know you wouldn't want Starbucks to be able to like, here comes my girlfriend's ex boyfriend. I'm gonna throw hot tea in his face at the drive through, and there'd be no penalty for that.
Speaker 2: I mean, so there's gotta be a ligne somewhere obviously.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I just think we've gotten so far off tracks a society, because it's very different than virtually any other legal system on Earth. You're not going to get a fifty million dollar reward like this in Argentina or or probably Britain. I don't think, but I don't think we as people understand how far off we've gotten.
Speaker 4: And a big reason for that. What is the number one profession among legislators.
Speaker 2: It's not even close. You know, it's an attorney, right, And the whole jury thing where this is one of the reasons that we regularly say, you know, don't make those jokes about how to get out of jury duty. Show up on the jury so you could say, so you could be there as a smart person, say fifty fifty million dollars is insane, Yes, because you got to. I'm guessing you got a jury fro of peoples of Starbucks is rich, they can afford it. I don't like them anyway, you know that sort of thing, right, Yeah, yeah, boy.
Speaker 5: If there's one technology mankind has not perfected, it's the getting the cup lid to click on the cup thing in the world of coffee. And you know, granted, I'm an older fellow now, and I've learned the hard lessons of life, sometimes more than once, usually more than once before I absorb them. Boy, anybody who has boiling hot coffee and assumes that lid is on their right, you are a bold man and a foolish one.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I just when I heard that, I just thought, oh crap, this is going to lead to even more Sorry, we can't allow you to do this stuff, or you get like room temperature coffee, right, coffee can't ever be That might be the reaction from Starbucks, no more hot coffee. I know lots of people order stuff extra hot, because I've known Barista's order stuff extra hot. It's already so hot you can't drink it. But it's the idea that it'll be it's so hot that by the time you get to work on your fifteen minute commute, it'll still be hot. Well, I'll bet that goes out the window after this settlement.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So I shouldn't say this, but everybody's thinking about it, so I will. So, this guy got fifty million dollars because he could never have sex again?
Speaker 2: Was he any good at it? I mean, does that factor into the juries?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I mean you think they should interview previous lovers and say, so, how much of a loss is this for humanity? Well?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean because it's obviously lost to him, no matter his skills, but to humanity, because shouldn't that be a fifty to fifty thing on asco Consortium, et cetera on a scale of me to wow?
Speaker 2: Where was he exactly?
Speaker 4: I'm just I'm asking these questions. I don't have the answers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, God dang it.
Speaker 1: Jack Armstrong and Joe The Armstrong and.
Speaker 6: Getty Show, The arm Strong and Getdy Show.
Speaker 4: So I mentioned this last week and we never got around to it. I'm glad we are now, and I'm looking forward to Joe's reaction to this. So this is Ezra Cline of The New York Times on Lex Friedman's podcast from a couple of weeks ago. And Lex Friedman's an interesting guy if you've never heard his podcast. First of all, they're all two to four hours. And I don't know who listens to those whole things, but he has people on of all different kinds of political stripes and worldviews and stuff like that, and he just wants to hear what they think. And he opened with this great question for Ezra Kline of the New York Times, who, if you don't know his act, he is a columnist, writer, liberal, progressive, not a bomb chucker though that's just his I mean, he's a really smart, he's an intellectual, but he's a progressive. And Lex had him on to say the first question was basically lay out the progressive point of view or the democrat point of view of the worldview. And I thought, okay, this is fantastic. I'm going to hear this from a smart guy. And I thought, I am going to listen to this podcast in my earbuds as I was like doing laundry or something like that, and I thought, I am going to, like in a relax manner, listen to this, see if I can find any common ground, like fully understand you know where they're coming from, right, not the cable news version, but like the intellectual version of how they see the world. And I didn't make it more than like thirty seconds before.
Speaker 2: I said out loud in my bedroom. Oh, you've got to be effing kidding me. So this is how it went.
Speaker 7: You can define the left in different ways. I think the left has a couple fundamental views. One is that life is unfair. We are born with different talents, We are born into different nations. Right, the luck of being born into America is very different than the luck of being born into Venezuela. We are born into different families. We have luck operating as an ominive presence across our entire lives, and as such, the people for whom it works out, well, we don't deserve all of that.
Speaker 4: We got lucky.
Speaker 7: I mean, we also worked hard, and we also had talent, and we also applied that talent. But at a very fundamental level, that we are sitting here is unfair, and that so many other people are in conditions that are much worse, much more precarious, much more exploited, is unfair. And one of the fundamental roles of government should not necessarily to turn that unfairness into perfect equality, but to rectify that unfairness into a kind of universal dignity. Right, So people can have lives of flourishing. So I'd say that's one thing. He has a very low voice for a child. Yeah, I'll hold back for now.
Speaker 2: I see what you mean. Though my eyes were wide. You don't deserve that.
Speaker 4: That's when I said in my bedroom, Oh, you gotta be effing king.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: Well, and I want to hear the next part, obviously, but he kind of denied his own purpose there at the end.
Speaker 4: We're not trying to come up with some perfect equality.
Speaker 7: But yeah, let's hear a little more and then we can discuss The left is fundamentally more skeptical of capitalism and part of the unchecked forms of capitalism than the right. I was like, this is hard to talk about because what we call unchecked capitalism is nevertheless very much supported by government. So I think in a way you have both, Like markets are things that are enforced by government. Whether they are you know, how you set the rules of them is what ends up different between the left and the right. But the left tends to be more worried about the fact that you could get rich building coal fired power plants belching pollution into the air, and you can get rich laying down solar panels. And the market doesn't know the difference between the two. And so there's a set of goals about regulating the unchecked potential of capitalism that also.
Speaker 4: Relates to sort of exploitation of workers.
Speaker 7: There's very fundamental questions about how much people get paid, how much power they have. Again, the rectification of economic and other forms of power is very fundamental to the left.
Speaker 2: Okay, So.
Speaker 4: It reminded me, of course, when Obama said, you didn't build that, that attitude, and I thought, okay, Aszra Klein just laying that out a little more clearly.
Speaker 2: I heard a.
Speaker 4: Podcast with this guy. He's got the most famous economics podcast in America. I can't remember what his name is, but anyway, and he's he leans left, but he his uh, his take on the whole. Okay, even if you've got a situation where where you like, in the most blatant example, it's not fair that this person, you know, they're born with a better brain, their parents got him a tutor, they had connections to get him into a better school. Whatever it is versus someone else, how is the government going to weigh in to fix it? He said, Even if I buy all the lack of fairness. In what sense could you structure a government that's gonna even that out, that doesn't do more harm than good? Well, exactly that the phrases the key one.
Speaker 5: And it is interesting to me to hear somebody who's obviously fairly intelligent, like Ezra Kleine, be so narrow in his vision, so incredibly unwise to not recognize that if you empower somebody, I was going to summarize his creed with as the following, I'm so smart, I and people like me should be in charge of everything because.
Speaker 2: We will make it good.
Speaker 5: But a guy who is reasonably intelligent to lack the wisdom to see that a government empowered to right all of these pick a un wrongs or equalize somehow or other, even if not a perfect equality, but like getting us halfway there, that government would be so awesome and not in the modern word like causing awe and horror, so powerful and monumentally huge.
Speaker 2: It would be terrifying. How do you miss that?
Speaker 4: As, oh, no, we would just do the good thing, not the bad stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, right, And then.
Speaker 4: The problem being that where you draw the line between unfair advantages that people didn't earn and choices that you make because lots of people make really really bad choices in life. I've made bad choices in life that damaged me a lot, and some people keep doing them. I don't dismiss the ideas. I haven't told my story about the uber driver I had the other day. Maybe I'll do that for the podcast today. But I was thinking in that trip, which was really sketchy, that this poor guy is never going to be able to do very well in life. So I got a better brain than he did. That is unfair, that's not his fault, it's not my credit. But then he got all the life choices that people make. And I've seen so many smart people make horrible life choices. What is the government gonna do to even out results there?
Speaker 5: And I've known the proverbial c student, Oh yeah, absolutely, and I'm not gonna go with the old trope that but they're very straight smart and blah blah blah.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 5: I've known some people who aren't very bright, but they make good, sound moral decision after decision, and it benefited quite nicely from those decisions.
Speaker 2: Anyway, what makes.
Speaker 4: A person though again in the morning and want to pursue the idea of that person has more than that person.
Speaker 2: We need to get them closer together.
Speaker 5: What is that well, and the means that they use to pursue that goal or are often horrible from my point of view. I mean, if you have a charitable view of the world and you think I ought to do something to help those people, you have my full blessing until it becomes And what I am going to do is, at the point of the government's gun, take money from people and compel them to do these things, because that's the opposite of generosity, that's, you know, totalitarianism. I hate to even use the word fairness any context in this because it's become such a cliche, rhetorical cliche of the left, because people have an instinctive view of what fairness is from childhood on.
Speaker 2: That is, everything should be fair. That's at least the ideal.
Speaker 4: Whereas you know, being born with a better brain or a worse brain, or a taller, good looking or talented or whatever, that the difference.
Speaker 5: Among people is one hundred percent fair. It's a very definition of fairness. Nothing has been done by anybody to pervert the natural unfolding of it. Nobody cheated anybody.
Speaker 4: Right The Jefferson idea of just you go as far as your talent and effort will take you right exactly that it's there could be nothing more fair than you get dealt a.
Speaker 2: Hand in life.
Speaker 5: And then you've got to go from there with you know, the help of the people around you, and the people care about you, and the government protecting your rights. That's why the government exists, and off you go. Read Harrison Berger on the Great Kurt Vanna Gets Short Story. If you don't have a lot of time, read Thomas Soul's Conflict Divisions if you have more about this sort of thing. But I hate and it breaks my heart that my daughter is autistic and life will always be extremely difficult for her.
Speaker 2: I hate that. I adore her, but I wouldn't use the word unfair to describe that.
Speaker 1: It just is.
Speaker 4: I got kicked off of a jury before I made it, the only time I've ever made it this far to like actually get into the courtroom and they started the lawyer start asking me questions, And the question that got me kicked out was looking back to the starting point of your life where you've end up now, is it more or uh, the circumstance you were born into or your life's choices, and I went with life's choices and that got me kicked off jury that I think life's choice is unfair, unfair good vlun fair good good vocal fry from Ezra Klein. I don't know why, uh, socialism goes with vocal fry. I don't know why those two things go together. But I still think life choices have more to do with it than where you were born, who you were born to in brain power you have in terms of where you're gonna end ultimately end up.
Speaker 2: And he obviously does not believe that. Uh yeah.
Speaker 4: And then even if you agree with Azra Kleine, you're still at the point.
Speaker 2: Of how could the government fix that? Anyway?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 2: Right, And my response to all of it would be so what, So now what are you going to do? That is always the question at every moment of your life. Okay, so now what are you going to do?
Speaker 6: The Armstrong and Getty Show, Yeah, Borgia Orgio podcasts and Our Hot Lakes, the Armstrong.
Speaker 2: And Getty Show.
Speaker 5: So speaking of policy, and this is so incredibly important, Jack is afraid it will vanish into the dustbin of history, and I think he's probably right. But now even for instance, the New York Times is admitting keeping the schools closed was a horrific idea and utterly unnecessary.
Speaker 2: I called it a disaster before.
Speaker 5: No Mount Krakatoah, covering your village in Lava is a disaster. This was a crime, a partisan political crime, and the victims were children in society as a whole.
Speaker 4: And one of the worst things our government has ever done. Yes, I would agree absolutely. It was like the internment of the Japanese or whatever. You could even make a case for that. The scientific case for keeping the little kids out of school was null and void. Within a few months of the beginning of COVID.
Speaker 5: Anyway, New York Times writing paying the price, school children in Massachusetts, Ohio, and Pennsylvania are still about a half year behind tip pre COVID reading levels. In Florida and Michigan, the gap is about three quarters of a year. In Maine, Oregon and Vermont, for instance, it's close to a full year. This morning, Group academic researchers released their latest report card on pandemic learning loss and it shows a disappointingly slow recovery in almost every state.
Speaker 4: And maybe closures, yes, and maybe you're going to get into this, or they get into this. But that's just measuring the learning without measuring the disruption to classes.
Speaker 2: We've heard from lots of teachers of kids are different now.
Speaker 4: They missed a couple of years of having to sit there and pay attention and get homework done, and they just they're not You can't get them back in the group.
Speaker 2: They don't really get into that.
Speaker 5: And I'm really glad you brought that up, because the socio psychological damage to kids, hell, that might make the reading scores look like you know, Irish school closures during COVID set children back in most districts have not been able to make up the lost ground, obviously, partly because kids, when they're that young, they absorb information in a way that I envy with every fiber of me. And you can't just have them not do that for a while and say, all right, now we're going to do it even more than usual. It's not the way kids work. Yeah, does everybody not know that or whatever?
Speaker 4: But anyway, up until about age eight, your brain runs about a thousand times faster and does after that. You take a kid out of school for two years before age eight, oh my god, you've done damage.
Speaker 2: To them, Yes, that's a horrifying yeah.
Speaker 5: So and here we get into a couple of the more interesting specific aspects of this other A reason for the lack of, you know, catching up progress is school absences. The huge rise has continued long after COVID, says Thomas Kane, Harvard Economists, member of the research team that we're going to talk about a little bit, said, the pandemic may have been the earthquake, but heightened absenteeism is that tsunami.
Speaker 4: And it's still rolling through school, right, that part, not just not showing up to school, is still a problem.
Speaker 5: And as I've said many times, when the New York Times isn't being just unforgivably idiotically biased, they actually do some pretty good deep dive reporting and they look into the state variations. According to a new report from scholars at your big name universities comparing performances across states.
Speaker 4: I hope you're not going to tell me that blue cities and states even got poorer performance than red I hope you're not gonna come.
Speaker 2: I'm going to need you to sit down, need you to brace yourself.
Speaker 5: Michael Jack's about to need a big hug, all right, and you know how he loves that from other males. So today's report shows a wide variety of outcomes. In the states that have made up the most ground, they're getting close to how they were doing five years ago, but the overall picture is not good. And I will skip some of the specific stats and get to what they call the Blue Red divide. Political leaders in red and blue America made different decisions during the pandemic.
Speaker 2: Gavin Newsom, I'm.
Speaker 5: Looking at you, you lying monster, Chris Ker, child grooming scumback because.
Speaker 4: Red death Santus and people like that wanted kids to die for some reason. They enjoy stacks of dead children at their schools right exactly.
Speaker 5: Many schools in heavily democratic area stayed closed for almost a year from the spring of twenty twenty to the spring of twenty twenty one.
Speaker 4: Or long.
Speaker 2: It was longer than that around here were cal Unicornia.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: In some Republican areas, by contrast, schools remain closed only for the spring of twenty twenty and opened right up. And this helps explain a partisan gap in learning loss.
Speaker 2: How you get in the specific status.
Speaker 4: I can't believe this wasn't more fairly reported on or discussed or whatever.
Speaker 2: I use this example all the time because I got it in my own life.
Speaker 4: I got two schools seven miles apart, the public school and the private school. My son's now in. The private school barely shut down at all. The public schools closed for like two years. And there were not I was joking, there were not stacks of dead children everywhere. Teachers, our teachers.
Speaker 2: The private school was fine.
Speaker 4: Now, how do you explain that, teachers union public schools. How do you explain that that school's open over there, and it's not like they got tons extra money for some sort of special ventilation or something like that.
Speaker 2: What a joke.
Speaker 5: Randy Weingarten, the head of the Big teachers Union, who is a demon from hell sent to punish us for our sins, used it like other unions did, as leverage. You want the kids back in. I can tell you really really want the kids back in. You got to give us more money. You got to give us more of this, You got to give us more of that. No than the kids stay home.
Speaker 4: I fully believe she was doing that and knew that, And I honestly don't know how she sleeps at night.
Speaker 2: I don't because she has no conscience.
Speaker 4: She's a monster.
Speaker 2: You are a monster.
Speaker 4: You certainly don't care about children. I mean, you're beyond not caring about them. You're fine with them having awful lives if you can have more power. You're a disgusting human being.
Speaker 5: But you know what she's like, ya ya Sinwar of Hamas she cares in children insomuch as they are leverage, just like Cinar and Homoski's about Palestinian citizens.
Speaker 2: Deaths are leverage.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I put it in that category, but I know plenty of teachers that that's not what their angle was. They believed the whole it was too dangerous to have schools open thing for summer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, because Trump said it was good to open them.
Speaker 4: The left went crazy explaining how incredibly unwise that would be and if there needed to be more horrifying irony for the political left.
Speaker 5: All kids were hurt pretty badly. Poor kids were just decimated.
Speaker 4: To Armstrong and Geddy on demand, we're not boring.
Speaker 2: A lot of news is boring and tedious and depressing.
Speaker 4: It makes you angry. You don't want to live your life like that. Hey, I'm Jack Armstrong, he's Joe Getty. We're Armstrong in Getty. We try to bring you the truth and help you figure out this crazy modern world. About something about a comedic tone.
Speaker 2: We have a winner. Yes, listen to Armstrong.
Speaker 4: You get on demand on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.