Speaker 1: Watch up and welcome back to another episode of No Sellings Podcast with your host. Now fuck that with your load glasses, Malone, I.
Speaker 2: Can see you then putting no phone up in that room. Still it's phone across from me. What do you know? Why would I have phone behind me?
Speaker 3: Because because I can still hear the echo.
Speaker 2: I can hear the echo on your shit too.
Speaker 1: No you can't, Yes, Igain, that's just this Sony C eight hundred microphone that I do my podcast on it.
Speaker 3: It's a level of clarity that you don't understand.
Speaker 1: You haven't heard such clarity feel me through a podcast.
Speaker 3: What's crazy is now? My podcast?
Speaker 1: Now No Sellans Pete is finally gonna go top twenty because we're investing into the quality of sound.
Speaker 4: It took us a long time to get in on that infrastructure.
Speaker 2: Microphone has anything, brother, because people love to record shit. It's it's the commentary that you have, brother, it's my voice sounds so much silkier. So now you can hear every annunciation of every letter, so people don't they're not confused on what I'm saying any longer.
Speaker 4: Do you think that our audience demography is going to change?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: And gravitate more towards a group of people that are mostly just interested in the silkiness of your newfound voice.
Speaker 1: Well, I think we're gonna keep our audience, our no Sillings family, but also we're gonna get people like Donald Trump, Jay Z, people who understand such levels of clare like economically valuable voices, got very nice. Yeah, when you project, like if Donald Trump did a podcast, he would do it through a C.
Speaker 3: Eight hundred, I could see that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, Donald Trump is about to go to zeal So.
Speaker 3: It's not gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Hey, you know, Kennedy almost has enough? Does he have enough signatures?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: Peter the where he can run?
Speaker 4: He is running. He absolutely running.
Speaker 2: He's going to be a sleeper.
Speaker 3: It's not gonna be a sleep He's gonna be a spoiler. Yeah, he gonna fuck up on votes.
Speaker 2: No, I think he got action that winning, zero chance of winning. Nobody really wants to vote for Biden, and a lot of people don't want to vote for Trump.
Speaker 3: Everybody wants to vote for Trump.
Speaker 2: No, they don't.
Speaker 4: That's they do on this goddamn podcast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably on this podcast they do, But I don't think everybody does. Bro and.
Speaker 4: The Trump's floor is like forty and there's just not enough space for Kennedy to make that up.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, man, I don't care. Man, it's all of them.
Speaker 3: So I just paid twenty dollars for a double cheeseburger special, So I care.
Speaker 2: I care too. We need to get Biden the hell out of there.
Speaker 3: Yo, how did you go to get that special?
Speaker 1: You did that shit? Remember we was on still last and Still was trying to get Trump out of there, and he's like Biden, I'm like, Biden horrible, and he wanted anybody but Trump because he was scared because people was angry. Well guess what now, we got twenty dollars double cheeseburger specials at doubles.
Speaker 2: Still I used to I just spend thirty dollars at MacDonald's and didn't get what I wanted. They said they don't have any more apple pies, which is the story of their life.
Speaker 3: When I go over there, this is your fault.
Speaker 2: And you know what the young man told me. He says, well, when they run out, we just don't make it anymore. I said, So you're a twenty four hour McDonalds and just you won't have pies with like twelve hours out the day.
Speaker 3: This is your faults. This is your fault.
Speaker 2: You did this.
Speaker 3: Yes, it was you and my dad.
Speaker 1: I kept telling y'all Trump is okay in office, Like, we don't have to like him, but at least you know what you're getting.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm gonna say Trump is a death pudding and waiting what he's a death but a potential despot. He's going to be a dictator.
Speaker 3: No, that's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: You and Charlottagne y'all put that level of fear out here to make people not vote for him, to believe that it's possible.
Speaker 2: No, that man is going to be a I'm telling you, man, I'm telling you he gets in office, it's gonna be bad for us. You couldn't hardly get the man out of the office when you lost last time.
Speaker 4: That's because no one would take a court case. He didn't do anything other than asterphile court cases, get denied by judges and walk out the door.
Speaker 3: That's all he did.
Speaker 2: You know what, man, Americas in sad shape.
Speaker 1: Because you put Biden in office and now we got twenty dollars.
Speaker 3: Why why your party to the problem. Yes, people like your mind your mine, No, your mind too.
Speaker 4: We don't like them any less.
Speaker 1: You guys did this shit because y'all saw them white people out in the Carolinas with them Walmore torches, Walmart torches, and thought they was the real thing and got your scary ass and.
Speaker 3: You put a real fuck up in office. This motherfucker.
Speaker 1: The fucking double cheeseburger was nineteen dollars and twenty three cent at dozen like a place like tams Oh call a double cheeseburger used to be eight dollars and twenty three cent because of steals. Fucking vote, the fucking fucking steals vote, a fucking double cheeseburger is nineteen dollars and twenty three cents. Fucking gas is seven dollars and twelve cent. I don't know what the fuck is going on. And then you talking about this motherfucker that's in office.
Speaker 3: Look at what the fuck you did.
Speaker 4: The funniest thing about it is you think that Donald Trump's gonna be a dictator where you have a guy in office who's trying to send his opposition to prison, one one whose family comes from a group of people that all kind assassinated, who's he's referring to give them secret service protections.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna tell you biting is terrible.
Speaker 3: I'm not done yet. Let this man make his point.
Speaker 4: You're you're concerned one guy's gonna be a dictator when the other is trying to send his two send his chief opposition to prison, his secondary opposition. He's not affording him the right to secret service protection. He's flaunting the Supreme Court making he is. He is making executive decisions that are not backed by law and that have been shot them by the court, and he's doing them anyway in spite of the Supreme Court. That's dictatorship.
Speaker 1: Like you and fucking the double cheese Barker's nineteen dollars and twenty three six. Only Hitler would have did some shit like this. Thank you, fucking Steele, Thank you for your.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna tell you this right now, we in the world of hurt either way. No Trump's tyroneas once he getting off, get done with everything. You go see because it ain't gonna be no more cheeseburger stands. We gonnall be we gonna be ass up.
Speaker 4: He lives on cheeseburgers, that's all cheeseburgers.
Speaker 3: And dont coke.
Speaker 1: You cannot admit right now that the that the world was a little bit better for us when Trump was in office than it is right now. You can't really admit you know what it is you mother. First off, this is no silings gl my man, Peter. I got my big brother Steel. We got him in here because we want him to fucking admit he fucked up, fucked up.
Speaker 3: So what will show?
Speaker 1: No, this is not what we're doing, oh show, But we're gonna get this fucking off. You're going to fucking admit that your emotional fucking shit being hurt because you worried, Oh Trump hurt my feelings.
Speaker 3: It's white people who don't like me. Du they have the tiki torches.
Speaker 1: A fucking double cheeseburger combo is nineteen dollars and twenty three cents.
Speaker 4: We need to read to him the root of the definition of his hysteria. Happy to do with the uterus.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm gonna tell you who I do like. I like Nicole Shanahan a lot.
Speaker 3: They're not going to win. You have to chill between Biden and Trump.
Speaker 4: She's a billionaire Marxists. She is the quintessential Bentley Bentley Bolshevik.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you, man, I think they have a shot.
Speaker 3: They don't have a shot.
Speaker 2: It's gonna benefit Trump more than it's gonna benefit Biden. As long as I'll be honest with you, I rather have Trump in office than Biden.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's all I wanted.
Speaker 2: I don't rather have Trump. And now I've said that that was a very that was a mistake of ethic immense proportions.
Speaker 3: That's all I wanted, the truth, Undershook.
Speaker 2: Because I'm gonna tell you right now, man, our country is in shambles. Man. The dollar is going to ship. The dollar is taking the dump right now. Anytime you go to McDonald's, man, you My dad was just here a few days ago, gee, and we stopped her to make Donald's for breakfast on the way home. And I picked them up that morning and they and he said, I got it And he said forty dollars. He said for what did we buy? What do we Is this a mistake? I said, no, that's what it is.
Speaker 3: So fucking fuck you and that fucking Biden.
Speaker 1: Then I got the nerve to be a super predator, and the fucking double cheeseburgers nineteen dollars and twenty three cents.
Speaker 2: Why did you pay that much for a burger at.
Speaker 1: Doubles and you know paaramount doubles doubles for a burger just for a burger buy double cheeseburger combo was nineteen dollars and twenty three cents.
Speaker 2: What the problem is with that? The moment they said that all fast food workers have to get paid a minimum of twenty dollars an hour, that's what messed that up. I don't know. I don't know whippers on they mind. That's some California shit too.
Speaker 3: But see in California problem.
Speaker 2: It is Trump was. If Trump was in office, he would with your burger. That's this motherfucking office out here.
Speaker 1: Hold up, hold up, not before we get on Gavin, Before we get on Gavin, Trump would have challenged his ass.
Speaker 2: I wish we need somebody because Gavin Newsom is like the worst government in the world. First of all, he's worried about everywhere else. He's so worried about changing George's gun laws that he can't manage his own state.
Speaker 4: That's what he has to do. He has to divert and deflect.
Speaker 1: Well, the best thing about him is he trying to get all you poor coons up out of here and replace y'all with Hispanic people who will work.
Speaker 3: Well, he got one of the multiple family right e.
Speaker 2: Hispanic people next summer, Next summer, I am gone, yep.
Speaker 3: And then it's just rich people they getting you out.
Speaker 2: Well, yours had to go to because I'm serious, I don't see where Glasses Malone fits in this new world out here.
Speaker 3: I'm rich, are you yeah, I'm rich.
Speaker 2: Shoot me a few doubts over here.
Speaker 4: Then you wait till, wait till the state Wealth tax comes calling for Glasses alone.
Speaker 2: Already? Oh nothing, text, they send me letters every other day, nog. I'm gonna tell you, I'm getting out this motherfucker dog. I'm getting out of here. California is done for you. We don't nobody need to be out here. California the worst state in the Union.
Speaker 1: No, this is okay, I'm not gonna go that far, but it is pretty crazy.
Speaker 4: It is the only compar be what like.
Speaker 3: Vermont, New York is pretty bad.
Speaker 2: Homeless people and you know what, they're giving homeless people chacks to come out here. That's why you got motherfuckers coming from Idaho, from Iowa, from everywhere else is making a pilgrimage out west.
Speaker 4: You know what's happening. You know how like the funding for public education is based off of the number of students in each class. That's what's happening with the homeless. The funding to help the homeless is based off of the amount of homeless. So they keep just increased the amount of homeless to keep the amount of funding for homeless always on the upper trajectory.
Speaker 2: Shit, man, it's like I feel like I'm living in a black mirror episode now it is.
Speaker 1: It is, So let's let's get to uh ship, Let's get to ship. I had a thought. I mean, he was talking about Donald Trump, so rulers who people fear and get a bad rap. Donald Trump is definitely a president that that got a bad rap, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Don't get me wrong. He's some shit and and he definitely doesn't walk with the esteem we were like the the front man of the United States of America to walk with. But what I enjoyed about him is he was a man of the people. Like he was tweeting from an android. Like when he talked, he cracked jokes.
Speaker 1: He was like, it's funny because I used to see so many people upset with him on Twitter, like why is a president on Twitter? Why are you on Twitter? Every I always like my presidents still to be men of the people.
Speaker 3: That's what I like.
Speaker 1: You know, my three favorite presidents right is Lincoln, Jackson, and Trump. You know what, I like those three presidents the best for because they was men of the people.
Speaker 2: A Lincoln who Lincoln was the man of the people.
Speaker 1: Hell, yeah, he was right, motherfucker's back. That was That was all right, all right, that's cool.
Speaker 3: I mean he wasn't. He wasn't the arner. Yeah, but but but also he wasn't the people.
Speaker 1: Ain't our people? We talking about white people. We talking about peak people, not well, not peat people because theyre familiar. Were talking about regular white people. Nobody's a man of black people. Why the hell would you be a man of black people as a president if Yeah, that's why I'd never be president, because I'd be a man of black people. And now that ain't gonna do good with the That's like, you have nine daughters and one son and you keep buying shit for boys. I know that fuck, but it's like just you ca' just son. You could wear the skirt that fugg No. But I think Trump takes a bad rap as a president. I don't think he was the greatest president, but I think he was very much the perfect indication of where America was socially, Like he represented it perfect at that time.
Speaker 3: Then you get the presidents like like, shout out.
Speaker 1: To Obama, He's the president of where America wants to go. So Obama would look like a fantastic president in ten years from now. Like in ten years, Obama gonna look like the best thing that happened to America. Biden is like a president like, uh, the worst.
Speaker 2: I would put him in fucking Nixon Nixon right right together. Him and Nixon the worst two motherfuckers able to run the country.
Speaker 4: Nixon wasn't a bad prob thing.
Speaker 3: This was a bad president, just a dirty president.
Speaker 4: He just yeah, he just sleazy. He didn't do a lot of bad A lot of bad shit happened.
Speaker 2: At the time.
Speaker 3: And Biden is just old, you know what.
Speaker 4: I think This illustrates the dichotomy between Trump and Biden's presidencies. Sure, Trump went into office believing that the presidency was what we think it is, you know what I mean, Like he wouldn't like Trump would have been a very impactful president in nineteen fifty five.
Speaker 3: I agree that.
Speaker 1: You know what's funny, somebody asked me that and they said, well, you don't think Trump is a is a president of the past. I'm like, no, Trump is a fundamental type of president. Everything constitutional. President Biden is what America was like. He should have his ideas would have fixed America eighty years ago, seven years ago, you know what I mean, Like, these ideas would be cool seven years ago, when he could have took minimum wage from I don't know, thirty eight sent to adopt today that shit.
Speaker 3: Don't That's just not smart.
Speaker 4: And I think the issue also is he thought, well, I, as the president, could come in here and I'm in charge of the executive branch.
Speaker 3: And that's not quite so true. Sure, and not based on the constitution.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean based on the there's the Constitution, and then there's a bazillion laws after the Constitution that all should fight out in court. And your term is only so long, you know, so all everything he tried to do got bogged down in court for the whole duration.
Speaker 3: Of the term.
Speaker 4: And Biden is a perfect illustration of what the presidency actually is Biden's not like seriously, he's he is as much the acting leader of this country as this bottle of lemonade is.
Speaker 3: He's he's purely a god figure.
Speaker 4: So yeah, he's a figurehead while a million plus manned fourth bureaucratic branch of government runs everything autonomously without having to be bothered by a transient guy who's here on a four year contract.
Speaker 1: H I could respect that, but I do, But I do think Trump gets a bad rap as a president, but as a ruler, right, as a front man and in front of a company, the company that's united, stay is in America, Sug I think gets the bad rap as well. Right, Sug was probably one of the greatest black execs in the history of all black music.
Speaker 3: Right, Like.
Speaker 1: You wasn't gonna stay in jail if you are a Sug artist, Right you you got a monthly stipend even when you for sure had ran out of rooties based off the contract you signed. Like, right, you still was gonna get a monthly stipen he financed, Like I listen to people tell the story of Shug right and they'll say, oh, man, well, all of the stuff was in Sug Night name. All of the the house was in sug Night name, the cars was in sug Night name.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, that's a good thing.
Speaker 1: And I was trying to explain it to somebody, like that means you get a free monthly stipend.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that means.
Speaker 1: I don't have to pay for my car like I wish Birdman paid for my house and my cars, that you're gonna put them in cash money fucking name the whole fucking time. I don't fucking care. The fuck cares, who the fuck cares? Guess what that means. The day I'm tired of it, I can just walk away. That means I can save all of my stipend money and I have free money.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, yeah, you know what. Man should definitely get some bad rep when I set up here and hear these artists talk about them, because the irony of it is, these guys all went over there and seigned contracts. A lot of them sold. They publishing that they're trying to get back now, and I'm like, you sold it, Yeah, yes, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't think it should. It should be in perpetuity. It's not in perpetuity, right, It's nothing perpectuity.
Speaker 2: What do you do you think about it like this, Let's say we do a business deal. You come to me and say, still, you know what, I'm gonna give you two fifty for your publishing because it's a co pub deal. He didn't take all the published, He just took a percentage of it.
Speaker 1: Right, it's illegal to write shout out to my big brother. Still big brother still ran a wing of a publishing department for a few years, so he understands publishing a lot more than me, and definitely a lot more than Pete.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what it deal was, bro. When you sign a publishing deal with someone, if you sign a co pub deal, that means that they're usually getting, you know, thirty to fifty percent of your half. Right. You can't sign nobody in perpetuity. You can't sign to them for whatever. So I'm pretty sure it shoulg may have had maybe twenty thirty years on that stuff, you know what I mean, depends on how much money he gave them and what they signed. But they signed for it though, that's the thing. They signed for it. I don't think should put a bullet most and most of these people came to Shug asking for that because they need the money.
Speaker 1: So I think sug As an executive, gets a really bad rap. Don't get me wrong, I think he did some shit like any motherfucking body that pretty much everybody obviously were looking at Puff now.
Speaker 3: But I've always said I thought, Pops get a bad rap.
Speaker 1: And what fucks me up is it all really comes down The one thing that I feel like we can actually have a fair discussion is the decision, the most important decision that ever happened to death Row, the decision of do I focus on Pop or do I fix in repair the relationship with doctor Dre at all costs Pop, who is blossoming inside of what's going on to death Row, the whole you know, the whole element, the street element, pack is blossoming inside of it. I mean, he's flourishing, He's becoming obviously at this point, the biggest and greatest art in the world. You know, if you look to all eyes on me, it actually took his career to a final level. It interjected him with a level to me, a street that might have been missing previously before. Even though he had street records, it was a different element having that death Row energy around him. Right, and then doctor dre hold on Doctor dre who was kind of like revoting against where the energy was going.
Speaker 2: Well, you gotta remember, Bro, prior to death row Puk was more of a more of a radical, more of a pro black radical. You feel what I'm saying. The shout out to Chuck d You know, he talked about the struggle, which was fine, which you know had a certain level of danger to it as well, you know what Chuck d D. Yeah, I think definitely when he came to death row Man it started turning more. Punk was a sponge. He absorbed whoever was around him.
Speaker 3: He was a kid. He's twenty some years old, you know what I'm.
Speaker 2: Saying, And I think we forget about how young he was when he passed away. He definitely, you know, made mistakes, man. I still don't think those mistakes take away from him being one of the greatest poets of our time.
Speaker 3: I mean, did he really make mistakes?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, he did stuff that young people do. I think he follows some wrong people. You know, he put his hands on the wrong man that ultimately costs him his life.
Speaker 1: But I don't know if I would even consider that a mistake. If you saying somebody is your friend and you standing up for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he should have been involved in that shit.
Speaker 3: It depends still if y'all friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but still he is an asset at that time, he's an artist. I wouldn't have my artists out there fighting for no fucking body.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's about your artist. First off, nigga, nobody is your slave.
Speaker 2: You can't by your slave. But I would have fired every last one of them. Dudes. They over there allowed him to go over there and punk as soon as he got the wall, especially him knowing that man's reputation. As soon as he the one that did that out put him in the foot. Nelson drugs ass back over there said, look, dudes, you was about to call some major ship because I'm gonna tell you this gen had that been bunchry and all of them to jump on that dude, this is a part of the game that would have wait until they got back to Compton. It wouldn't have been all that that night, sure, but because it was Tupac, I'm pretty sure that we discussed this. That guy said, man, because you know what, it's embarrassing. Yeah, by the time to get back to La Man. You know Tupac put hands on a HAMMYE.
Speaker 3: Sure, it's embarrassing.
Speaker 2: He man, I can't you know? You had to writing the song, bro, So.
Speaker 3: This should make an incorrect decision.
Speaker 1: If we could say it's about the decision, right, pt he made the wrong decision?
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, Oh, he definitely made it wrong. You I told you that early. You always stick with the producer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but nobody ever sticks with the producer.
Speaker 4: And I think a lot of time also, the producers are a little harder to retain.
Speaker 3: Why you Why do you feel that harder to retain?
Speaker 4: Because at some point in time, the prisoner has to realize their own value and their capacity to spin off to the into their own direction.
Speaker 3: It's easier than an artist.
Speaker 2: Well, ultimately, Drake had a reputation. Every person that dra was with prior to Shug, he left, He walked away from.
Speaker 3: Okay, so let me ask let me ask you a question. Let me ask the question how long she?
Speaker 2: Let me just show you the pattern. He was with Lorenzo, He walked away from Lorenzo, went over there with Easy, with Easy, he left Easy and went to Shug, left Sug and went to Jimmy. You know, there's nowhere to go after this. He's at you. Feel what I'm saying, he's where you want to be, I guess, And I'm not mad at that. I'm just speaking facts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm saying it's also because it's a certain level of value, like why wouldn't Okay, so if your should night now, Dre's coming to you. Let's say hypothetically, Dre's.
Speaker 3: Coming to you.
Speaker 1: He said, Hey, man, I don't like the direction of death Row, but y'all riding high. Still, y'all are riding high, right you? You you're coming off of a triple platinum album in the chronic or double platinum album at the time. You're coming off the greatest album in hip hop, the most successful you know.
Speaker 3: Album and hip hop.
Speaker 1: You know, Boring beastis Hammer, you know, maybe a Vanilla I some stuff that that that that is being marketed more novelty.
Speaker 3: Versus just the streets.
Speaker 2: Right you?
Speaker 1: You coming off that, You're coming off all these soundtracks and you're loading up Tupac, who looks like you have an album that's going to be one of the greatest hip hop albums. Ever, how do you pull back? How do you say? What's your decision at that point. Now you got pocmatic Dre, like, hey, Dre is blah blah blah. How do you deal with this if you should? What if the energy is coming out? How do you what do you do to make Dre happy at that point?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know if there's anything you can do. And it's a lot of other mitigating factors to this thing, because you got to remember, he was messing with the man's baby mama too.
Speaker 3: Pay He's a perfect example, you feel what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So it was just a lot of shit that was really man with all the genius that should was, he made mistakes. He was a human being, sure.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if he I don't know if he made mistakes again versus making decisions. It's easy to say right now, we you know, we in today's time, we're in twenty twenty four saying you know, pop's fucked up? Back then, you feel me that's not really fair because it's like everything is going correctly. He now has the biggest hip hop label not named Deaf Jam in the music business. They didn't already sold roughly you know, ten twelve million albums with Pac in the Q pock is in the Q and they just sold you know, somewhere between seven and ten million albums or something like that. With Pac in the Q, he's in the Q. He ain't even they ain't even shot the gun yet he's in the Q. They he's at the top of the clip.
Speaker 2: And think about this ge. You know, you're talking about their numbers. Let's talk about Coach Ro impact exactly. Because there were a lot of companies, you know, like Bad Boys, sold some good records, but they didn't have the coach real impact that Differro had.
Speaker 1: But I don't even know if bad Boy bad Boy had an album that sold three million and then another album that sold four or five million, like dogs.
Speaker 2: About it, I don't think they sold as many as different did. They sold some records though.
Speaker 1: A lot of records. But I'm saying, how do it's easy for us. Let's go back in that time, Pete, Let's go back in that time. You just sold you coming off the Chronic doing two or three million, You're coming off Doggy Style doing triple to five million. You're coming off multiple platinum and double platinum soundtracks. Murder was the case? Was that double platinum? So that's roughly, you know, ten million records. Then you got a couple soundtracks that's doing incredible. You got the Dog Pound album that just went double platinum. So you you know, we're talking about from nineteen ninety two to nineteen ninety five, ninety six. I mean before Tupac you already you know twelve million plus.
Speaker 3: How is he making mistakes? Now?
Speaker 2: He even made two many mistakes now as far as being the CEO.
Speaker 1: Now I'm asking you like, how do you please Okay, let's say Drake, Okay, okay, for sure, you back up. You don't knock down Michelle, right, you leave Michelle alone. That's not it's off limits because Doctor Dre is the most important thing at this record label, more important than Snoop, more important than Tupac, because Doctor Dre is the reason we get Snoop Dogg and Tupac at this level, at this level.
Speaker 3: Because I'm sure sure Tupac would it.
Speaker 1: I'm sure Sug would have been I mean, Snoop would have been successful with anybody. You know, how successful is different, but he would have been successful. If Hutch did his out, he probably would have went go because he was that type of talent.
Speaker 3: And Poc was already successful before death Row.
Speaker 1: But doctor Dre's version of both artists are the versions of the artists that we remember the most. Right, So the sug branded version of Snoop Dogg and the sug branded version of Tupac. Right where those brands fit with death Row wanted to push and then the music that doctor Dre allowed to come out and cultivated, you know, through mixing and whatever else stuff he touched on. Right, we get the greatest versions of these artists. If you shug what if Dre Dre's complaining to you, He like, hey, man, I don't like the direction this gangs and shit is going. How do you make a different choice besides going with pop? Like what do you do differently?
Speaker 3: Like? What this baby?
Speaker 1: How does bird Man? How the Stunner keep shout out to Stunnard? But how the stunner keep Maddy fresh happen? Do you just give him the company? Do you say, hey, you know what?
Speaker 2: You know what I think with that? See, Dre's sting wasn't money. Manny's thing was money. Many wanted more money.
Speaker 1: I'm said regardless, right, I mean, we could go through the hit men, we could go through beasts by the pound.
Speaker 2: I think you pay these motherfuckers. You have to to within a reason, you feel what I'm saying, because these guys are the backbone if you think about it. Bro when Beasts by the Pound left and I love master P and everything he's staying for, but that it was over with at that point. They did still no more records after that. Baby one thing the Baby's credit. He always was able to do. Baby always had somebody in Q. But I don't think I think Baby had Wayne, and he was able to put the whole company.
Speaker 3: On young and young money.
Speaker 1: And because if you think about it, if you think, if you think about it, cash money maybe didn't break any more artists after Manny Fresh left up, every young money begins to break all that acts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was all young money.
Speaker 1: And again that you're right that that's a great point because what did Birdman do to keep little Wayne around.
Speaker 3: He gave him the company.
Speaker 2: He gave him the company and then you know, and that's like the only one though, But you know what, though he was even he wasn't even no longer to say that he had to give. You know, we went to the whole thing where Wayne was like, I want my money.
Speaker 1: Well, that was after Yeah, that and that's a little bit more complex because and I don't think you know.
Speaker 2: What I'm gonna say this, I don't think that was all bird necessarily because when Wayne did get his money, he came from universe.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, that's the only person who could pay him. I mean, it ain't like Listen, the belief is they're giving should Knight like people think should Knight had a bank account with one hundred million dollars or should Knight had a bank account with thirty million dollars?
Speaker 2: That is the case the stife, and it was a you know what it sounded like to me, it sounded like it was just a really grand stipend every month to whar you got so much money every month and you got everybody often you've got to you know, wait for that. Let's say they was giving Shugar half a million, a million dollars a month.
Speaker 3: I heard it was a lot closer to a million dollars a month.
Speaker 2: And the hey day, you know, he getting a million dollars a month, which is you know what it is, right, and they putting his records out and everything. It's not a bad It's definitely not a bad deal.
Speaker 1: Well, you gotta you gotta pay Drake, right, So what does Drake get one hundred two hundred some thousand a month? What do you pay slew seventy to one hundred thousand a month? What you paying a dog pack? What are you paying your studio?
Speaker 3: Bit?
Speaker 1: What you're paying for? What's the studio they was working at?
Speaker 3: Can What are you.
Speaker 1: Paying KNM at that time when it's twenty five hundred three thousand dollars days.
Speaker 2: Well, when you think about it, they had to recoup against all those albums, right, you know you got the prison coast back then and see this area they you know when people talk about the good old days and see these preston could be expensive sometimes, you.
Speaker 3: Know what, I got to do a power with Shug Man.
Speaker 1: And it's crazy because I want to talk to Shug for real, Like I don't want to talk to Shug about none of this bullshit everybody talk to him about.
Speaker 3: I really want to.
Speaker 1: Talk to him about how the business was really going, Like I would love to have a real conversation with him. I would love to have a real conversation with him about how that business is doing.
Speaker 2: You know, we know I know how to get in touch with him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sure and we know, uh day, So Shug just did didn't he just do like Patrick Beth David or something like that, Like.
Speaker 2: Well, we don't even we can get the shoes directly without talking to that dude.
Speaker 3: Sure, sure, but I'm saying, yeah, but I don't see.
Speaker 1: To me, everybody wastes excuse me, everybody wastes time with Shug.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 4: They want to hear the same stupid story over and over and over again.
Speaker 1: This gossip, this, this gossip, that, this about gossip. I want to talk to him about how he structured the business with Jimmy at that time.
Speaker 4: Sure, I'll be very compelling.
Speaker 2: Yeah he had you know what, it's not a bad It wasn't a bad deal because I'm gonna tell you, man, that was the heyday. Man. He was really great, bro, And I hate that his legacy is always gonna be defined about, you know, from the bullshit. You know, yeah what you good?
Speaker 4: That's that's part of what made it so popular though, you know what I'm saying, mm hmm, like if if you were at a square shop.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna say it made I think it made him polarizing, though it made him like he had definitely had a mystique around him.
Speaker 4: There was, but there's there's value in that mystique. Am I saying without value?
Speaker 2: Should only this ship? The motherfuckers really did deserve it. Shug was one of it. Should is one of the coolest motherfuckers you ever want to meet.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 2: He's funny. You're like, I've never feel threatened being around Shugar. He was always just like a dude that was cool. He like, you see, to be honest with you, and you know, he just didn't everybody that Sugar did something too in some manner away cross gangs. What they don't talk about. They don't talk about the people that called Sugar two in the morning he shug, my mama about to lose her house. I need this come up to they check tomorrow, pick up seventy five thousand. No, I got you back. They don't talk about that. Most of them people didn't want to pay him back his money.
Speaker 1: What's crazy is I think people are not really gonna give him his credit to theday dies.
Speaker 3: Sure, you know what I'm saying. I think that's what's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: So again about that decision, So we all agree that he should have chose doctor Dre. Whatever it took to make doctor Dre happy, that was a correct decision. But what if what if you you what if Pac looked at that as weaknesses, right, as a weakness. Pac is getting out of prison, right, He's gassed up, he's fired.
Speaker 3: Up, he's pumped up, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean he he ready to go to war and Dre is like, YO were not going to war.
Speaker 2: I think Pap wouldn't have had no choice but to sit back and just to come enjoy the show. What is he gonna do?
Speaker 4: He can't builds into this conversation.
Speaker 2: He's on the contract though, you feel what I mean, it's like where can he go? And then the thing else, you know, you know, one of the things like to him, Pac was planning to leave that forro. He wanted to leave that for right. See that's the thing about these ungrateful ass artists. Man, you get motherfuckers out of jail and all this shit, then they want to leave you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I don't think honestly like Pac. You can say what you want, like let's say, but let's do a hypothetical based on poking every shot.
Speaker 3: I think he was.
Speaker 4: A bottle rocket career to trajectory that then three years was gonna be back in film. It's sam wrong. He had a few hot albums in them and it was gonna be back in film.
Speaker 1: I've said multiple times, I think if Park is alive mcavelly, if mcavelly is an album, it'sconsidered a it's considered a flop, like like the way people mistreat dog Father. You know, you come back with two number one album. You know, you come back off an album that got two number one singles all these blockbuster songs to an album that's more of a thematic album that doesn't have, you know, really big records. I think he takes a lot of criticism, kind of like Kendrick took with Mister Morale after Damn, where people felt like, oh they ain't you know that. It was a lot of you know, criticism to the success of that album because it's coming off of Damn.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what I see, you know what I see the mcavillia al Mans. I see that as a almost like a mixtape kind of.
Speaker 3: I think they said that was the idea for it.
Speaker 2: I think I definitely think if he wouldn't have died, they would have just something that was feeding the streets with because that's what it sounded like. It wasn't. I actually enjoyed an album because it sound.
Speaker 1: It's my favorite Tupac album. But I also understood that him passing away and and and the climbing at that time made it a million times more enjoyable. Then it went from being just music because it's it's always more than just music, and it's a lot of culture. But that album, the music almost didn't matter because it was like we thought it was our last.
Speaker 3: Offering from him.
Speaker 2: Was a hit record.
Speaker 1: I mean, yes, and no a hit record, yes, but not a hit record compared to California Love No.
Speaker 3: But how do you want it California?
Speaker 2: Because you got to remember he took this pro West coach Fance and he made and you know, especially when he said it wouldn't be La without the Mexicans, you can tell he was really just prime embraced La with that song. So I think it served as purpose.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think he Again, I'm not saying that it doesn't have successful cuts on there. I'm saying compared to this last compared to coming off of all lies on Me that had you feel what I'm.
Speaker 2: Saying all lies on Me and even that, I'm gonna tell you what that if they would have made that just one album. Gee, don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the cuts, but if they just took all the song songs and made just one thirteen fourteen song disc, it would have been one of the best rap albums in the history of hip hop.
Speaker 3: It is already even with the two discs it is.
Speaker 2: I just think that Motherfucker is a jam and ass album.
Speaker 1: Though, So where does pop go without Johnny Jan and Doctor Drayden? How does Pac make another successful big album?
Speaker 2: You know what, I don't think Pak needed Doctor Dre as crazy as that sound. I think he already.
Speaker 3: Had his guy Wow, but he lost Johnny J.
Speaker 2: I think he could have you know, you think about it, bro, who couldn't have produced for Tupac Doog?
Speaker 1: Obviously the people who did the next album because they didn't have none of the ship. Remember the two singles off of All Lines on Me is Doctor Dre and Johnny J.
Speaker 2: But Drake had. But what the fuck am I saying Drake for.
Speaker 3: Beginning is that he just got his ass whooped.
Speaker 1: And you remember that I remember was one of the greatest whoopings in the history of hip hop.
Speaker 2: Those were Drey's records that he gave Tupac Right. Sure, from what I understand, those of his records that he gave him Pod had hits prior to that, though, prior to him coming to Death Row.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying he didn't have hits, but I'm saying, without Johnny j Right, without doctor Dre your signed to death Row, where do you get these smashes from?
Speaker 3: Mmmm?
Speaker 2: That's a deep question, man, I don't know. I agree, go back to this other.
Speaker 1: Ship, but at death Row, right, because remember so the person who did dear that was a smash shot G. I don't think SHAHG was participating in the death ro shit SHOTG had some on California.
Speaker 3: I'm all eyes on me.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 3: Did Shock have one on there? No, you know what he did.
Speaker 2: And I know Bobcat had one on there, because you gotta remember priors to that, Bobcat did strictly for my niggas. That was him and pulling them.
Speaker 3: And then Shock did I get around and shad so many tears?
Speaker 2: Maybe you get the boogeymen back together, Maybe you get pool a combination of when they most deadly at their best. You know, you got Bob on the drums, Pooh on the motherfucking but the music, and you could Muffler and all them. Maybe he could have pulled some shit out. Those are very formidable producers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but remember they wouldn't. They wasn't getting back together.
Speaker 1: Remember at this point Pool is doing Snoops project, which is The dog Father.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and which The dog Father gets a lot of dishtain that you shouldn't get. The dog Father wasn't a bad album. I don't know why people like justif you.
Speaker 4: Go from a thirteen on a scale of one to ten to an eight, it's a what a massive off.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you this, me being on both sides of the coin creating albums like The Crime Can, The Chrimic and Dog Doggy Style, those are those albums are anomalies.
Speaker 3: You may get one of those, not for Doctor dre or not.
Speaker 2: But Doctor Drake can't think of him one out. He can't think. That's his problem though, he can't think of none the top that ship.
Speaker 4: He's fifty five years old, sixty years old.
Speaker 3: Sixty years old.
Speaker 2: It don't matter, dog he could matter.
Speaker 3: The fuck is getting ship at sixty.
Speaker 4: It matters in this business tremendously. But look at how large. I mean, maybe I could be wrong. I don't know. I thought he did a lot of the first eminem shit, in the first fifty shit, and the game shit, and and Snoop's comeback ship.
Speaker 2: Drake chasing his own ghost. Dude, he's a he has a very unenviable task. Bro. I wouldn't want to be in that position to try to chase that shit thog.
Speaker 1: I agree, I don't that, but I don't think Dre is chasing anything. I just think dre goal is to not make a bad album.
Speaker 2: Much, and I think honestly he didn't want to. Cock was seasoned enough to where you gotta remember when Drake left Snoop, Snoop was still kind of like almost even though he was a mega star, he was kind of stealing developmental stage. He wasn't who he became. Yet you feel what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: That's where I was gonna go. I feel like this question largely hinges the most off of does a restructuring of Death Row around a doctor dre paradigm keep Snoop there? And if that's the case, then this is not even a discussion.
Speaker 2: Well they got really Snoop. You gotta remember, Snoop didn't going no where. They dropped Snoop.
Speaker 3: Well, they didn't drop him, they sold him.
Speaker 2: They but pretty much.
Speaker 4: Because he wanted out of there after the court cases that.
Speaker 2: It was, they thought it was over with. They thought he was over after what's his name.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that's true.
Speaker 1: I think they just came to a bad situation where remember Sugar end up going to jail. It just was a bad situation, especially especially for Sug because you lose Sug if you Snoop Dogg, you lose Sug and you lose doctor Dre Like this is how you walk. So there's no d OC you know who who have joined you know what I mean? And Dads is still a baby. Dads is still working on becoming a producer that that we like, you know, that's still two three years away.
Speaker 2: It's hard, bro. You gotta think about it, man, think about it like this right, Snoop is still in developmental stages. Poc W was season. You know, Pac was already three or four hours in already by the time he came to death. Bro, I'm pretty sure they would have found somebody to, he'd still probably made SMIT records, you feel what I mean, either made some MIT records.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: The dude knew how to write records. You know what I'm saying. He knew how to make records, not seeing that Snoop didn't. But Snoop had a lot of help at first in he was a kid, you know, and you know what else to come in this game. You're figuring stuff out.
Speaker 3: Man, I know better than everybody.
Speaker 2: You feel what I'm saying. He would have found somebody, bro. I definitely think that. I definitely think though, I would have kept rocking with Dre because outd have told at the end of the day, you know, pock you in the contract, shut the fuck up. It sounds good that you want to leave, but you ain't going no damn where.
Speaker 3: Hm hmm.
Speaker 2: Sounds I used to spend all his money to get your ass out of jail. You're not going nowhere. You go stay over here and we go down on this business. Drey, go in there and do what you do. First of all, I'm gonna tell you this, man. Yeah, it's funny when when it's funny when you think back on it, man, because all of this stuff Jimmy wins all the time. It's almost like it's almost like none of this impacts him anyway, where the house always wins. Jimmy is not over enter scope. Nowhere is he gen.
Speaker 3: I think he had Apple or if he even in music, he was a Apple last time I heard.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So when you think about it, right, when you think about it, whenever artist leaves the label, you know, they bring us in a street exact sin and they ultimately wind up taking the artist anyway.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, the artist is gonna leave everybody anyway. Why would the artist stay with you to do listen?
Speaker 2: Which is true? Which is the point I was gonna get at. Nothing is meant to be forever. Roland is in perpetuity.
Speaker 1: Well, I think Berdman, I think Birdman made the correct I think Birdman got it right more than any brother exec.
Speaker 3: In the history of the music business.
Speaker 1: Where you just turn over the label to your to the to the to the bread winner, and I think that never happened. I mean, you know, I would love to see a Researchency cash Money where Manny Fresh is kind of like you know, on the up end of the financial and burd just makes the decisions. I think the hit I think bad Boy changes the hit man. You know, the cook, if the cook is actually in charge of the restaurant.
Speaker 4: You don't think a fair parallel on these structures is sports teams. Good players last a little shorter than good coaches, which lasts a little shorter than good gms, which lasts a little shorter than good owners.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: And as soon as one guy tries to be more than he's supposed to be, I e. Jerry Jones, Jerry Jones was nothing with Jimmy Johnson. Jimmy Johnson made that roster. Jimmy Johnson put that together, you know, he got him out of there and they won one kind of half passed with the same team with Switzer. But once all those Jimmy Johnson people were gone, it's never been good again, you know.
Speaker 3: And that's Jerry West.
Speaker 4: Jerry West did it in multiple locations real well, you know, as a GM he did.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: I mean like it just has to do with the with the foundational layering of how a lot of that stuff kind of works.
Speaker 3: I feel like that's.
Speaker 1: Fair if if you could pinpoint one thing, if you were Shug Night and you could change one thing that you felt he did.
Speaker 3: What's that one thing?
Speaker 2: Still?
Speaker 3: You would change that he did if you were sugar.
Speaker 1: He was like, there's one thing you could be like, you can go back and you can say you could redirect him.
Speaker 3: He don't do that. What would be one thing?
Speaker 2: Man? You know what if I had to pick one thing, bro, it's crazy to sound never opened sixty six two six six two wound up being a root of a lot of his problems. Right when you think about it, right, No, sixty six two. He probably wouldn't be in Vegas.
Speaker 3: Not your fighting or you get on the plane after the fight.
Speaker 2: Well you probably right back, there's no reason for you to be hanging out. Count you feel what I'm saying. Yeah, it had been one of those things. Probably I opened up sixty six too.
Speaker 1: And then and then I think I think, uh, Reggie said it only opened like seven times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it only opens the radically, Doug. But every time it opened, there was always some bullshit up there.
Speaker 3: Okay, so not open six six to two. And there's one thing people.
Speaker 2: Any other thing, Bro. I think what happened with him in the you know, the whole accident with the car man, you know when he ran when my man got ran over. Sure, don't go up there, man, lead that shit alone, dog like, leave all that alone. You feel what I'm saying. If I could talk the shug lead the bullshit alone, though you still got to action, you shoug.
Speaker 3: Night, Pete.
Speaker 1: If one thing you can go back, even though still said two things. If there's one thing, Pete you could do, you can go back and you could turn.
Speaker 3: Pop say like he don't do that? What would be that one thing?
Speaker 4: I would just say, just always keep in mind the difference between the sun and the moon. Meaning when you're assessing.
Speaker 1: Fuck all that one incident, Pete, when it's I don't know this man's life like that.
Speaker 3: I mean the things that you do know.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 4: As a matter as a rule of thumb, if you're a bigger guy, don't be between don't have a smaller guy between you and the shooter.
Speaker 3: He got very.
Speaker 2: Lucky man Like one thing, man, Come on.
Speaker 4: I would say this, understand who brings more talent around them? Who did Tupac ever bring around nobody? Dre has a history of bringing people around him even before he got there.
Speaker 3: You know, So whatever to make doctor Dre happy, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Dre has done it. Before he had a collective talent around him. At NWA, he assembled a collection of talent around him. At death Row, he assembled a collection of talent around him. After that, That's what he does. Who did tupac wing around the outlaws? I mean, I don't know those guys, but they didn't take off like Snoop and M and M and Ice Cube.
Speaker 2: Sure without laws some little keyds with marginal talent. And people think that's this, but they.
Speaker 3: You don't know all this marginal talent. They were just little kids.
Speaker 4: They were in the wrong place at the wrong time, in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Speaker 2: They was just little kids.
Speaker 3: Was little kids they were.
Speaker 2: They were really literally little kids, like you're said, very young. I don't know, Pete, if you should say not leading leading Michelle alone.
Speaker 3: Pete would devastate those ship like that.
Speaker 1: They're looking out for tuning into the note Seller's podcast, Please do us a favorite, subscribe, rate commentist share. This episode was recorded right here on the West coast of the USA and produced about the Black Effect Podcast Network and now heard Radio Yeah