Speaker 1: This is the Patriots Training Camp Cast. The Patriots Training Camp Cast is your source for all the news from Patriots training Camp.
Speaker 2: Well, I do still watch the news.
Speaker 1: Practice is over, but the writers of Patriots dot com have you covered what did I miss yesterday? Now here to review today's practice? The writers of Patriots dot.
Speaker 3: Com, Well, Mike, just so, we're just stacking those days together. Like Bill Belichick says, right.
Speaker 2: Here at by Steamy.
Speaker 3: Foxborough, I feel like I've said that several times, but today is particularly steamy here.
Speaker 2: Day three.
Speaker 3: The Patriots put on some shells underneath. Other than that, not a huge change to the attire. There was one minor change, well could be minor, we'll see moving forward, but there was a change to the attendance report today. Time Montgomery was not able to make it out here to practice today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, unfortunate and uh, I mean unfortunately part kind of what has gone on in Time Montgomery's career. But you know, again super involved early in practice, you know, got tangled up yesterday and got looked at, did not return to the field today.
Speaker 2: So certainly something to watch for.
Speaker 4: And as I said, again, it's just you know, unfortunate because this has been something happens with him, He just you know, can't seem to stay healthy. I'm sure he's frustrated. As productive as he looks as every practice we've seen. If he if he can't stay out on the field, that's it's not gonna matter. So hopefully he gets back out soon. Christian Barmore also absent, although today we saw reports that his h that he is now a father and a baby, and so congratulations to him and hopefully he'll be back soon.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So other than that, the attendance remains excellent, you know, and as you said, Barmore, I don't think it's anything. Looks like he's just welcoming his first child, uh into the world. So we'll we'll keep an eye on Montgomery moving forward. A couple other sort of health related things. I thought we saw more from Matthew Judon today than we have seen in the two previous practices. He was involved in some of the I think this sub work, the pass rushing packages the Patriots put together eleven on eleven's he took some reps today.
Speaker 2: Good to see him out flying around. Yeah, that's a good way to put it.
Speaker 4: It feels like he's ramping up a little bit, you know, still looked like josh Ucha out there when they went to you know, seven on seven, eleven on eleven with with the with the top units. So something I'll watch with JT on it doesn't you know, it doesn't really at this point, I would say, it doesn't really seem like a hold in. It just seems more like he was rounding out into shape. So it's it's it's good to see him to start to get involved with those that giant red sweatshirt.
Speaker 2: God bless him for wearing it today. It must be a sweating a lot on that one so offensively.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, I didn't think there was a whole lot to be excited about. To the defense continues to the coverage. Now they moved around the red zone a little bit. Started out by around you know, closer to the twenty, around the eighteen yard line, moved their way in.
Speaker 2: Didn't really matter.
Speaker 3: I got the coverage had the better of play for most of the day. I thought both Mac Jones and Bailey's Appy struggled to find receivers. IDT Trace McSorley actually showed some flashes, although his last set of plays was just like Jones and happy, but overall, Mike, I'm gonna focus on the positive.
Speaker 2: Because you know that's the kind of guy I am. Right, I'll let you.
Speaker 3: Tend to always go glass half full. I thought the secondary was was really good today, and the rookie Christian Gonzalees stands out to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that let's let's stay on the positive here. On the defensive side, You're totally right. I mean I thought Gonzalez had a couple of nice uh it plays in coverage, you know, got got left behind I think once or twice in the.
Speaker 2: Previous two practices to be expected from a rookie.
Speaker 4: But just great to see him out there consistently, and you know, again just being able to be out there every day and and and get this experience under his belt is as he starts his career, so you know.
Speaker 2: A really good sign for him.
Speaker 4: Defense, they're experienced and no surprise, they look like they know what they're doing.
Speaker 2: You know. However, with the offense, I'm with you.
Speaker 4: It's just I mean I had an eleven elevens to you know, two completed passes, you know, a lot of attempts to try to hit contested you know, catches in the back, corner of the end zone, fades and those kind of things to Devonte Parker that you know, they were going to a lot last year in training camp, and uh, they just couldn't really seem to get those going, whether guys were out of bounds, whether were the misthrows, whether guys weren't getting open. So there just wasn't a lot today that felt like, here's the offense this is. We had a little bit of it yesterday, but today it felt like it was a little bit of a void. As far as hey, that was a successful offensive play that looked in rhythm. They got it out in time and it looked right. There wasn't a lot of that today.
Speaker 3: A couple of quick personnel notes. I saw a lot of connin Dermott today at right tackle. Riley Reef has been there the first couple of days. Reef took some some reps, kind of switch slid over to the left side at times, backing up Trent Brown. But I saw more Connor McDermott today than i've seen.
Speaker 2: And you you know, saw.
Speaker 3: Chasin Hines rotating in a little bit at right guard as well. So they're starting to see some movement on that offensive line. I thought with the shells on today, one takeaway from me, the protection I thought was was much better. It's it's funny how that works. When the offensive line can actually hit the guys coming in, they're able to protect their quarterbacks a little bit better.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, a little little rotation going on there right guard to you know, we saw Bill Murray, the converted defensive lineman who's been on the practice squads, you know, made the shift there last year. So rookie at Tonio Maffi getting a shot there chasing Hines. So it seems like they're you know, taking a look at some of the depth pieces there. And obviously next week when the pads come on, then we'll get a real sense of, you know, how things are going on the offensive line with the contact coming into play.
Speaker 3: So another defensive day today, I would have to say. Tomorrow is an off day for the Patriots and for us. We will be back with our next training camp cast on Sunday. Once again, the Patriots expected to be in the shells and we're hoping by the start of next week we'll get some padded workouts to to give our thoughts about. But day off tomorrow, we'll be back on Sunday,