Speaker 1: Misspelling with Tory spelling and iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 2: This is like a little bit of a dream. I feel like I'm dreaming right now, thank you, because you and I are in bed together with a giant Teddy giant bear.
Speaker 1: Guys. Yeah, perverse fantasy. You never knew you need.
Speaker 2: She's been wanting to say perverse for like perverse. I kept trying to think of that word forever, like what's the word for this? Nailed?
Speaker 1: It is the word.
Speaker 2: And I'm wearing your t shirt.
Speaker 1: I love that so much. Yeah, and this is kind of fitting because the I had a giant, well not this giant, but a Teddy Bear on my first album.
Speaker 2: Cover my gosh, I own that album.
Speaker 1: Oh thank you.
Speaker 2: I had the tape, I had the tape, the cassette, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: I love that. How many pencils did We always loved that cassettes when they came loose and you had to get perform. I forgot there's an Instagram post with that where there's like surgeons with a cassette really on the operating table with the vessel.
Speaker 2: I think I ever. I think I just moved on to a new tape. I don't think I ever. Yeah, I'd have my little cassette player and I used to listen to your music. For some reason, I used to like to go into my bathroom and sit on the toilet and.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, this is information I never knew.
Speaker 2: I know, I did. No, I wasn't even like peeing or pooping. I would just sit in there because I love to listen to your music and cry because it was like it felt like this, like oh, this speaks to me, this is my life as a teenager. So I would just like sit there and.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, I love that so much. I put on music. I have music I put on now that like it purposely it's a cry yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Or it just makes you feel something. It makes you feel like you're like in a movie.
Speaker 1: I do that. I put movie Life on the Beach and yes, go into the movie montage, just being in your emotions. And I'm so like when I hear that my music did that for you or for anybody out there, it's still mind blowing to me.
Speaker 2: It's really Surreal's that, like, is this still shocking to think? Like you've had such a huge impact on millions and gazillions of people's life.
Speaker 1: It's insane to me.
Speaker 2: Like I and you're so normal.
Speaker 1: Thank you. That's what I really know.
Speaker 2: You guys like aw yeah.
Speaker 1: And as for you, like I showed up here today and we're just like, hey, yeah, yeah, it's that's what I really pride myself on, because it's just I don't know, you've got to You've got to just be like a good grounded person in life first and foremost. I think that's the mission. But yeah, like I've been doing these Electric f thirty fifth Aniverse three shows, right, and I'm always up there, Like literally I could cry because I I wrote those songs as really my passion and my hobby originally. And then to think, you know, thirty seven years into us all knowing this music together, we're in this theater at this venue or whatever, and I think, just like what you just said, how many collective memories are in this room this one song? You know, I sing Foolish Beat or I thing lost in your Eyes? And I think people tell me you know everything from you know, my first kiss, my first slow dance. Oh this hearing your voice helped me come out like people it's and back then it was just considered this fun kind of bubblegummy hooky music, but like the impact of whatever that was for people is so it has been profound, and so I cant yeah, I kind I can't believe this is my life get.
Speaker 2: And it's amazing that it like surpasses generations because now, I mean, I know, like my kids, I was playing your music, so I was like, this is my friend the podcast, and they're like, oh, we know, we know her mom, we know music. It's on TikTok because now people like I love that the younger generation. I love the people now because you know, so everything's in again. You love the bear.
Speaker 1: I love the bear. I mean it's a little I'm trying.
Speaker 2: To like get cozy.
Speaker 1: Oh that's better?
Speaker 2: Is that better?
Speaker 1: That's maybe a little better.
Speaker 2: It's weight, it's do you want to sit between his legs?
Speaker 1: Kind of want to? Oh that's comfortable.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's so cute.
Speaker 1: That's comfy.
Speaker 2: Hi she was She was singing before we started, and I was like, oh my god, this would be so nice. I I can maybe go off ambient. If I had Debbie Gibson in my bed every night just singing me a lullaby, I.
Speaker 1: Made it should be an ANI commercial.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: I used to take Ambien, Like, so, I that's truth and advertising. My assistant's jotting down.
Speaker 2: Ambient to sell ambient.
Speaker 1: That's a really good Why haven't I done any sleep sleeping pill commercials with? Yes? That is?
Speaker 2: Wait, do I get a referral fear or something?
Speaker 1: You get something fat of that? I don't know. I mean I won't take much something sleep.
Speaker 2: Wait did you ever eat on Ambien?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Not that type of Amien taking, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I think it just put me right out. Okay, Oh that's good. Yeah. I have a good friend that takes Ambient and he'll call on Ambien and it's really fun. Oh, I mean he just kind of yeah, or he'll be like walking around like he used to live in New York and be like I just walked around.
Speaker 2: Because it literally takes your memory from you, like you, I know, people were like you said this or that, and you're like you You're like, I don't remember.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know. I think I flirted really inappropriately with with one of my friends who I should not have been doing that with on an ambient call. I'm not friends with him anymore, not because of that. It was just someone of a certain time. But yeah, I did that, Like I didn't. I totally didn't remember what I said. I sleep pretty well now now I'm like, if I don't sleep all through the night, I think I'm supposed to be up processing something and I just go with it now really, Oh yeah, I don't take anything anymore.
Speaker 2: I just I just make really strange recipes on anbion. It's anything that you wouldn't think goes together somehow goes perfectly when I'm concocting.
Speaker 1: So funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's I had this thing. I was like, I want it because I wouldn't tell my friends. They'd be like, oh, here's what I made last night. I'm like, oh my gosh, we should put a cookbook together, like an ambient cookbook.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Ambien needs to be like sponsoring your podcast and my tour now because we've just we've just given them so much love and airtime. Oh oh my god, that's hysterical. I love that you have Missus Beasley over there too.
Speaker 2: I do, and Missus Beasley in the corner and a cabbage patch and a cabbage tack.
Speaker 1: I have an original cabbage patch from when my grandma braved all the the Grandma's the stampede to get the cabbage point right. His name is Homer. He's a bald premie.
Speaker 2: His name's what Homer, Homer, Homer Homer.
Speaker 1: I forgot his middle name and he's a bald premie. I wanted a bald PREMI do you.
Speaker 2: Know what mine's name is?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: It's me? Victoria Davey. Oh mom. My mom had a store in the eighties and she carried cabbage patch dolls there. And Xavier Roberts, who created it, actually signed They're all on the tush have a stamp of his name. This one's actually signed by him as well.
Speaker 1: I didn't know date the Davy part, how do you spell it? D A V. E.
Speaker 2: Y is my middle name and it's after my grandfather who passed my name with David. So I've kind of gone with that with my kids.
Speaker 1: They have.
Speaker 2: Oh, I like middle names. Are people that have passed that we loved.
Speaker 1: I love the male female twist names like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And my my second youngest son, his name is Finn Davy. Because we had so many kids, we ran out of loved ones that have passed.
Speaker 1: So, oh my god, how you do it? Everybody out there parents. Hats off to you. I have two docs ands and I need to help take I need people helping me take care of my wife. It's I don't know how y'all.
Speaker 2: Do it hard. Docksin didn't like me.
Speaker 1: No, he's just you know, it's always the little ones that they puff out their chest. And I wish imitate you that he would have. He would have been on your lap in five minutes. But he just was, I.
Speaker 2: Know, not j his job. Yeah, I'm a people pleaser, but I'm also like a huge dog lover, so I do get bum when dogs don't like me.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, he would.
Speaker 2: He wouldn't understand. I love you.
Speaker 1: When we have our sleepover party where you're making crazy recipes and I'm yeah singing and.
Speaker 2: You're singing to me.
Speaker 1: We well, bring Joe, I'll warm up to you.
Speaker 2: I'm actually watching this in my head right now and it's really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Should should we like live stream it just for Shure singing? Totally? Should?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that is that another really funny.
Speaker 2: Oh we create good ideas.
Speaker 1: We have to go out on the town. T Are you single?
Speaker 2: See you single?
Speaker 1: Me too? Let's do it? Could you imagine us out on the don't. I don't really go out a lot though, I just I'm such a I don't know. I either do plans with really good friends, but I'm super low key about the same. Usually if I'm in well out here, I do my RV. Like, so I live technically I live in Vegas, that's where my home is. But I live in my RV and I'm out here.
Speaker 2: So how often are you in LA I'm.
Speaker 1: In a lot. I mean, like, if I'm not touring, which is a lot, like I have twenty six or so shows coming up for the rest of the year, which is nuts, then I'm between Vegas and here. But then it like kind of started to become more here than there, because who doesn't want to wake up looking at I mean, I was never a beach baby. And my late mom, she was originally from Florida, she was like, you know, the beach, the beach, the beach. She grew up in Florida, spent her childhood years there, and I was like, I'll get it. I just don't get it. I'm not. I was in New York, you know, give me the city. And then I discovered it my way, which is this way with the r V. And it's still very kind of bohemian and I love it so much.
Speaker 2: I always wanted to live there and then I had.
Speaker 1: Really it's really fun.
Speaker 2: I'd have to have a million RVs.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I do you need like a tour bus which and they come there too, they they pull in there. It's really really cool. I just love the I love the freedom in it. But yeah, I'm I'm out here quite a bit now, so I'm there part of the year.
Speaker 2: Okay, I love it. So why originally.
Speaker 1: Vegas my ex my now ex, Well, yeah, so I was living I was living here, I was living in la and then I moved in with him and then we were back and forth to Vegas a lot. It's you know, the suburbs of Vegas are kind of like living in any nice mountain town. Like I like it better than most suburbs in the world because it doesn't feel that so again, it feels mountainy, like you wake up every day and you see them. You know, I'm not far from Red Rocks, and like, I've learned to love the West Coast and nature and sunshine. And then you've got the Strip twenty to thirty minutes away. If you want it, right, And every now and again, like the weird thing is, I'll wake up and I'll be like, like if it's super hot, like it's summertime, I'll be like, I feel like walking. You just you can go to a casino, you can go to Caesars and just like walk around and kind of lose yourself. Like it's weird to have a place like that to go twenty four hours. So every now and again I use Vegas for weird stuff like that, Right, but you can always get a nice meal or go to a nice show, or you don't have to go anywhere near the stream.
Speaker 2: It's true.
Speaker 1: So it's really cool. I mean too, they have best rest, great food, and you're just a hop, skip and a jump from here anyway.
Speaker 2: And so yeah, it's like me living in the valley. I'm hop skipping a jump to the West side. Yeah, but I never go. But we're gonna go.
Speaker 1: We're we're gonna go do something.
Speaker 2: Are we going out in La or Vegas?
Speaker 1: Two blondes on the town. We're bringing this teddy Bear, No kidding, We're gonna go. Well, every want we can go both, we can do both. Mm hmmmm.
Speaker 2: So I mean you're so busy, do you feel like you even have time to date?
Speaker 1: You know, it's a good question. I'm not really a dater anyway. I'm more of like a meet someone, connect with someone, connect you know. I'm just like it's on.
Speaker 2: So I've never been a dater either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's yeah, it's I kind of know when I meet someone if it's you know, I don't know. I'm so picky with my time and energy, which sounds as you should be just am, I'm I'm.
Speaker 2: Your Debbie Gibson.
Speaker 1: Of course, thank you. Now, I feel like you know my life. My life is so idealic, like I've set up my life so that it's designed exactly how I like it. So if something falls short of that in any area, I don't want to bother like dating or whatever. And so, but I'm at the point where I have found like I feel like it's the person that comes along and suddenly are creating this space for them, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I want to I want to keep talking about dating, but I want to go back to you've designed your life, you share somebody, I could do that with my life, how do you?
Speaker 1: I mean, listen, it's easier because it's easier because I don't have kids, so for sure that makes it easier. But I will say this, like for me and my career, which I feel like you're doing by having a podcast, it feels like you're doing just a lesson behold and you could be to people and to any big machines. In my opinion, the better your life becomes. And the thing about it is like, so my badass manager, Heather who I who was like my mom's protege for eight nine years in the nineties early two thousands, took over for my mom to go over the management and we really have been We have hand picked who's on our team and everything I do. Like, if I ever vent about the schedule being crazy, it's mine. I created the schedule, so you know, I really look at things. I look at like on tour, I'm not a how many shows can I do in a row? I'm a realist. I'm like, I'm singing top of my range, like I have to have these kinds of day these days off. I also now that I have the RV that's like my mini tour bus, and I want to see things I don't want to just I love doing shows, but I don't want to live just for the shows anymore. I really look at my life with like how can I balance it? And how can I leave time for unexpected things to happen? And how can I really rest? You know, people say I'll sleep when i'm I'm like, yeah, but I want to be rested while I'm here to enjoy things. And I need to sleep a lot. So I built in nap time and sleep time.
Speaker 2: And this blows me away. Wait have you always been this way?
Speaker 1: I mean, listen, I was with Atlantic Records. I'm working on my book and I talk a lot about this in the book. So I was with Atlantic Records. You know those I get the first year. I love that. Yes, you can do that. Listen to the audiobook. I will do an audiobook.
Speaker 2: Well can you read it to me? Like just a couple of times here with all were.
Speaker 1: Perfect? Oh my god. So you know, I started on a major label and all that, and and eventually it's like the fun and confusing part about being me, or maybe to the outside world, is like I'm a mainstream artist and how I write songs and how I like to put on a show and all that, but I have an indie spirit. So it's like, you know, I'm doing things the hard way, but in a way where like when people come to a show of mine, they're stepping into my world. Like it's a world that's so specific to me. It's not like one of the big promoters, you know, kind of had anything to say, or I look at every website of every venue and go is this the right venue for this particular show, and like everything's just you know, I think, like I told you about my Diamond debheads, my core fan group. They're my community. They are like my family. They're with me because of that, like we have this unique experience that we're all in together. I feel like New Kids does it too, and they've done it now on this huge scale with like my summer tour, a mixtape tour which I was part of.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 1: Like they would never find a label that would understand their fandom and what they have developed. It's like we've all built our thing over many, many years and over because we're being authentic and I think our audiences know that. But yeah, So there came a point in my career where I literally walked away from ten million dollars in advance of money and said I can't sleep at night doing it your way, my way, but my way, but your way. But like it's you start feeling like you're selling your soul and the audience starts going, I thought, I know who you were, But now I'm a little confused, and I'm like, yeah, me too, because I'm it's that art and commerce balance, you know. So for me, it's that getting the RV was this hugely freeing thing. For me, it was like, let me explore my adventure, like that's my form of adventure.
Speaker 2: And I didn't really understand. Sorry, you literally travel in the RV from Vegas here.
Speaker 1: Yes, but I try. I've put thirty thousand miles on it around the country with a driver. But then I get behind that when I'm not napping on it between shows, I'll get behind the wheel. Like last tour, I learned how to downshift in this the same way Washington and Oregon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my god. Yeah yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: So it's become this little it's I feel like I don't even know how how I would have been touring the last couple of years without it, because tour buses, the rental and the union drivers and the like, it's a whole thing. So I've just figured out how do you look.
Speaker 2: To pay for that?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, what like, we'll put it this way. So when I did the mixtape tour with New Kids, like, they pay me a lovely sum of money, but a lot of it is going to the tour bus and the driver, and the driver has to be in a union and you can only drive certain hours and you can I didn't. Girl. I parked this in a Walmart parking lot. Me and my driver go, do you want to sleep a few hours? You will sleep a few hours. You get up and I jokingly say, you buy a They make the best French cruller anywhere in Walmart. You wake up and you're having your French Crawler and you're buying like ten dollars pajamas you didn't know you needed. Yes, French, is that which one is? It's like the no, it's like the fluffy like Duncan makes it now in only parts of the country. I know way too much about the French croller. Maybe there's a recipe when we can make our own wit something. They're kind of like just fluffy or yes, they're kind of they're round, but they're a little twisty, like yeah, they're they have like like lind ridges in them, but they're like lighter than a regular donut. They just are different. I don't know, a croller, a French croler. It's like see ru e ll e r. I think we have a picture. But yeah, so like there's just a there's like a free flow in my life right now. Anything that I don't oh, okay, anything that I don't have to put on a schedule, I don't want to, Like if I can play things to the last minute and I'm gonna drive here or just let like I just live my life in a way that agrees with me, and I just I just design it as best as I can. And yeah, I mean, I just I look at I look at some artists you know, on Instagram and whatever, and I think, oh my god, Like I love Kylie Minogue and I think she's like having the best career moment of her life. And I also say, okay, the type a career woman and me like wants to have that year. And then I go that also suddenly looks exhausting to me. And people think I'm working all the time, and they think, oh my god, You're on the road all the time and coming up it gets a little more intense. It's still not as intense as most. I just make it so that it's so like I love to think every time I go out, I'm elevating. I'm elevating and I'm creating moments and I'm doing things very specifically, and so it feels bigger, faster, better, But it's actually not. It's actually like I'm conserving my energy and then I'm like high output. But it's in a very intentional way, and it's it.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm kind of just more peaceful and more comfortable in my skin and happier with my art and all of it than I've ever been. It's all very connected.
Speaker 2: When you were young, was it just like you just want My stomach is going not saying oh yeah, I know that's okay. It wants a croller right there you go, yes, but I kind of want it savory, like can they make that and drizzle like savory over it?
Speaker 1: I have to shift like the sweet and savory this.
Speaker 2: Take your boots off, get cozy, we're keeping all. I have a heated weight at blanket. Would you like one? Okay? Good? I want to get up.
Speaker 1: I do.
Speaker 2: I totally forgot I have the tension span of a gnat, Like, uh.
Speaker 1: I'm saying, I don't know, it's really good.
Speaker 2: We don't fall off to bed.
Speaker 1: His moment, I was.
Speaker 2: Saying, when you were younger, Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, was it like was it crazy? Was it?
Speaker 2: Is it just like go o go and in your mind at the time, where you like, I have to keep going because.
Speaker 1: Yes, everything's momentum based, and I'm sure it was for you.
Speaker 2: Right, Look in the video you look very tall, and I look like this little person here very.
Speaker 1: It's very Alice in Wonderland. So yeah, I mean I think about like the tour bus days when I was younger, and I didn't take anything in. It was just the country was going by outside the window, and I didn't. I was so fixated on being perfect on stage and the schedule, and I was anxious all the time. And I'm still a little anxious, but like some an adrenaline girl. But but yeah, I just didn't. I didn't realize all the things that life had to offer, you know, and now.
Speaker 2: Could you You were young, you were going going going like.
Speaker 1: And it's kind of like a practice too, like like I do meet in greets, right, and I'll meet one hundred people before my show or after my show. It before and it's weirdly more energy. Yet it's more energy than the sh I swear it is because every my mom used to do this unbelievable impersonation of me at meet and greets. And you've done a million autograph signings and things where you know, you reset for every person. You're like hi, and you and You're aware, I'm aware this is this person's minute, you know, And I want to make sure I'm like so engaged and so present. I want to I want because they want to meet me, but they want me to meet them. They want to know Share said it like she said, they want they want to know I met that. They want this is somebody's moment to tell me their story and I want to hear it, and so like, it's that that requires like I don't know how teachers do what they do because I like taught summer camps and programs and things. It's like but it's that level of engagement. But it's like you as a mom, right, I'm.
Speaker 2: Not that engaged anymore. Wait, I feel like I gave my best spears since oh my.
Speaker 1: God, But you know that present, like you're so in it you don't even know how tired you are till you're done. You're tired. I mean, so where's the show. I'm a little more in control of that output, and it's just different, you know.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, meeting your fans. It's people can't quite understand it because I know, like i'd been doing conventions now, which I hadn't done a lot in the last few years. We've been doing them, and they'll always be like, your people are waiting too long. You got to go faster, and I'm like, I can't. I can't go faster.
Speaker 1: Because they tried to curfews at venues in a I know, I want them.
Speaker 2: Each to have that time. How can you say no, like you know, you signed something and.
Speaker 1: Go I know, and for you, like you think about people were in You were in people's living rooms in their most formative years, and I mean, it's so special that they get to meet you.
Speaker 2: I'm the though I still don't see it, like how you know, influential we were as a TV show on people's childhoods and lives and yeah, I can't see it either, Like I understand it, right, but like you're talking about it I'm like, well, yeah, like I can see like for you as an outsider, I'm like, yes, it's huge for people, but it's so hard to see it when it's yourself, right right, It's just well, i'm here to tell you, and I'm here to tell you made a.
Speaker 1: Huge impact on people, and you were yeah, I mean that show is just that show is really special.
Speaker 2: Same sister, same. But see, what's great is a musician you can keep going as an artist like.
Speaker 1: And yes, it's a real like you know, people use the word reinvent. I don't know if it's reinvent, but it is, like you listen, it's again it's hard. I'm not gonna lie. It's like my manager and I always are like kind of.
Speaker 2: Like are we there yet?
Speaker 1: Just when I think like, oh, maybe I'll get a little easier, like we'll go to that next echelon. And then by the way, I said the what I said earlier about big machines, but when you establish the thing the way you want to, like, I did an album called The Body Remembers, and I did a couple of tours and now I'd want to partner. It's kind of like being a romantic, right when you know who you are. You're like, well, now I'd welcome the right partner because we've already created the thing with the way we want and you can't mess with that. But but if someone's going to come along understand my creative vision and help elevate it, I'm ready for that, you know, right, But like, yeah, no, it's hard, and we're doing it the hard way. It's like every venue and every like I have a small team and everyone's doing like customer service all the time, like with the venues and the fans and that, like we just really it's it's really personal. You get what you want, but it really is satisfying yourself and you do.
Speaker 2: Like I heard Taylor.
Speaker 1: Swift talking about this recently too, It's like it's the ninety five percent of the stuff people don't see you do that allows for that five percent magical time I get to spend on stage, which is like the big payoff for me. But the ninety five percent of like the fourteen business hats you're wearing is the tiring part. That's the hard part. And then you're and then I'm kind of like, oh, shoot, I haven't worked on my voice or the actual songs I'm doing the show are because I'm busy putting it all, putting it all together. So I'd like that to get a little easier. It's a boy to be honest. But we're still making it work and bringing a lot of joy to people. And I'm rebuilding my touring career because I went into I did a lot of theater, I did a lot of Broadway, and so to come back and go, oh right, this is really you know, this is what I started off doing, and it's a rebuild, and there's people who are stuck with me for many, many years. People were circling back after three decades of losing track of me, and it's really fun, it's really meaningful. It's really been a blast.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Did you ever get nervous performing?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, Like I said, I'm like, I'm an anxious person. Like the most nerve wracking thing I'm about to do as this acoustic tour because when I do, I'm an adrenaline girl. And so usually i'd come out and I do three big energy you know, high energy numbers. I'm dancing whatever, and then I ease my way into the ballads. This is me coming out a piano I might bring one musician with me. I haven't decided, but it's like it's on me, and it's I have to be grounded and in this certain place. I've done things like this before, but not in a long time, so I know I'm going to be like I have to figure out the new way of preparing for this particular show to kind of be set in a in a kind of zending place before I go out. So yeah, that's I do I get as a kid where you like, like, what was your first big performance?
Speaker 2: Like how many? Like massive?
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, it was kind of a build because I would perform in clubs for you know, two hundred people at a time or whatever, two hundred of drunken people at a time trying to pick someone up, going like who's this little white chick trying to sing some song about dream shot? And uh, I just always just had that like ambition. I just always wanted to get like shut up and listen to the music people and uh. But the biggest I mean I just remember some of like the radio shows I started performing at, like I remember was so random. I remember doing one in Tampa at the Zoo with the Monkeys. It was like one of those big crowds as far as the I can see. But it kind of built to where I was doing like clubs and then colleges and then like you know the tour where I did Radio City and I did the Greek and then it went into the arenas and it was like relatively fast. But also it was so I did clubs for like nine months. I did like three shows a night, four nights a week, and so nine months into my career, I was like exhausted and people were just hearing about me, right, So it's interesting because things were a little different from my perspective. But yeah, but then I did like the Rock and Rio festival, you know, like seventy five thousand people and one hundred thousand people. But it's weird. The bigger, the bigger the crowd, the easier it was, really, yeah, because it's just built on many people.
Speaker 2: What do you see, Like, what is it from your perspective?
Speaker 1: I mean, it's just kind of this wall of energy and adrenaline excitement, So like that makes it, in my opinion, makes it makes it easier. Again, it's when you have to me, when you have to hold a smaller, more discerning room That's why doing Broadway like doing a miz you know, you get out there to sing on my own, pretending he's this side. You know, the pie notes coming. Everyone's seated, they're in toxes, They've paid a lot of money, they know what they're like, They're expecting something specific, and like that's where nerve. I mean, I was always nervous before Broadway performances, and I had a very regimented life and routine. And you know if people say, like, are you coming back to Broadway, and I'm like, again, like the things you have to sacrifice to do eight shows a week, it's kind of sing like you live like a monk, Like you can't. It's your living for that, you know, that pristine kind of thing that both like, it's a lot, it's intense, and I did a lot of it.
Speaker 2: So I'm again anxiety.
Speaker 1: You talk about it, Yeah, Wow, it's like doing the anthem. I did the anthem at the World Series when Kirk Gibson hit the winning run eighty eight I think it was eighty eight. It was the most petrifying minute and twenty seconds of my entire life, and uh yeah, and usually what would happen with me is I'd get myself to the place to do the thing, and then afterwards I'd fall apart. Really oh yeah, I'd be like come out of here, geme me out here. I need a brown paper breathing in a brown paper bag, xanax all of it. Because I was. I was really anxious all the time, and I was fatigued. Yes, I do not often, but when I.
Speaker 2: Do, whoo And did they come on from? Like stress? Anxiety?
Speaker 1: Like work thousand percent? Like stress?
Speaker 2: I have that moment down You're just like.
Speaker 1: Yes and g I like if I'm not eating great and I'm stressed and yeah, yeah, Like I went recently went to see Neo's concert in at the Wind in Vegas. I had a migraine the next day. And I think it's because I ate Asian food, which I don't usually eat. I'm in that recycled air and all the smoke and the chemicals and you know, people are smoking pot everywhere in rooms and like it's chemistry for me. That gets me too.
Speaker 2: I can't believe you were going to be fifty four.
Speaker 1: I am.
Speaker 2: She has like barely any makeup on her skin is perfect.
Speaker 1: This is oh my god, No, I have line I have lines. Listen. Last year I had a little disport, and I'm always like I would say to my dancers Buddy and Eddie, who are too, They're my choreographers, choreographers and my besties. I'm always like I miss my old forehead. But again, like me and chemistry, like weird things happen, and so I'm like entertaining it again because when you're touring and people are just pictures and videos and everything's so close up, and I know I look at myself and off.
Speaker 2: But I'm here to say I'm sitting literally right in front of her and she looks gay, thank you. But I know that perfect forehead that when I watch TV shows there's actresses our age and I'm like, wait, how did they have the perfect forehead? Like what I know, where did they go? What did they use?
Speaker 1: And when they use too much and nothing moves, I'm really not happy. You're just like I'm expressing internally, but I might want a little light light something again, just because I start looking like you can't see this is not close up, but between like I do the nose scrunch and then like I have the.
Speaker 2: Call that the rabbit is it? The rabbit ears oh, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know, and then I have deviated septums, so I just start looking like a crazy person right here right there. Oh my god, But I still look like me. And that's why I like, I just want to always walk that line, because I do think people want to see.
Speaker 2: Yeah you people say I've had like gazillion plastic surgeries face and I'm like, it's so weird to me because I have and I've had my nose done and yeah, I mean I've had but.
Speaker 1: You had a time like when you're kicking right, I was like to me, Yeah, it's totally crooked.
Speaker 2: I'm like scared to do it again because I'm like, what if it doesn't look like me?
Speaker 1: No, you look great? You look great? Do you have hardly any makeup on today? Too?
Speaker 2: And yoursense great.
Speaker 1: I feel like this generation I say this like to my audience all the time. I feel like we're like just it's We're a super vital generation that does not want to be put out to pasture. I'm just so tired of like I remember growing up with the like after forty you can't wear this, and you know, like right, I might, you know, as a choice sometime wear Chanel suit or something, but not likely, Like I'm usually not happy in a blazer. I'm not happy in a I'm not. I'm just I have a youthful now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had for.
Speaker 1: Rock and roll kind of and you should always keep that.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, because I'm not doing it for someone else. I like how I look and I feel good. And when I want to wear something different, I'll wear something different. But I'm not gonna dress because I'm told i should dress a certain way.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely not.
Speaker 2: And she looks so hot, you guys, like, thank you. We were outside in front of my house and I was sitting on the ground and you were squatting, literally squatting, and she held that post while we talked for how long? Oh my god, I was so jealous.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Ah, your body is insane.
Speaker 1: Ah, thank you. I don't know, I just I've become more relaxed about my body though, Like right now, I have like I have like the fun I wear what you know, flatters it, but I have like the five to seven whatever. But I'm like, you know what, I'm enjoying eating bread and not caring and like there's just a balance. I always say there's just a balance and it's and it's decisions. It's like, you know what, I might not be able to fit in that pair of jeans right now, but I enjoy the freedom of eating the way I want, you know, within whatever the parameters I set for myself are and all the things. And but that freedom shows up in your being, doesn't it? Like it again, if your life is agreeing with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I agree with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not like rigid.
Speaker 2: Do you work out a lot?
Speaker 1: I don't, That's the thing. So I was the over worker out were you like the tybo and the yoga and the cardio on that because I used to do all the like over like tibo.
Speaker 2: I with all my friends and I was always the first one to leave or go hide in the corner.
Speaker 1: But you know when we used to do the like over, you know, join the Rebok Sports club and do the Yeah. And what I learned about that was like my back started going out because my adrenals were crashing, like you can't when you end for women of a certain age, if your cortisol is getting if you're like so, if you're over working out, like I find, it's like so much of it is eating for me to keep myself looking how I want. But it's you know, I just eat things in moderation, but also flowy things like I do like a nice walk jog walk, jog on the beach, you know. I jump on the peloton a little. I dance in my I just try to stay in motion. But when I get like on stage, I output to the point where, like I mean, my lungs are like are you freaking kidding me? But if I even with that, I swear to you, a day or two later, I look like I have more weight on me because the cortisol levels are doing that, and so it's not about intensely working out for me anymore. But I have like muscle, like I have biceps from the twenty thirty years I did biceps and now it's just muscle memory.
Speaker 2: You have no skin under your arm too.
Speaker 1: I have a little bit a little bit. Yeah.
Speaker 2: My mom used to They would her and her friends would joke when I was young, like oh the wave goodbye on ye, Like Mom, that's so embarrassing. I don't even know what she's saw. And I'm like, holy only.
Speaker 1: That's that again. That's that margin where like for me, I have to be underweight for that to go away. So I'm just like, but no, I'm not doing like triceps these days and all that, but I and I should do a little probably, But I'm telling you my energy is always like I have an on season and an off season, and my body doesn't want me to work too hard physically in the off season. I have to kind of save it up a little bit and just do everything kind of light.
Speaker 2: I love that you know yourself so well.
Speaker 1: But that's the thing too, So you know what I feel like everybody like that's the thing. Because I've had friends go like, you need to drink lemon water. I'm like, no, you need to drink lemon water, because what happens when I drink it just goes right, Like my stomach acts like I have an ulcer all the time, Like I have to be at bland. And so there's no one size fits all any thing.
Speaker 2: True.
Speaker 1: You have to know yourself, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but also just what you want in life.
Speaker 1: One thousand percent one thousand percent.
Speaker 2: Like I just turned fifty one and I'm still like, wait, what is it I want in life?
Speaker 1: Like and what is it you want next? Like do you have a thing that and how old is your youngest child, Devin, Wow, so you have a little while do you have ten years?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Of yeah, super hands on. But see sixty one these days is young, so you're gonna have this whole other chapter. Tell me sixty one when you're sixty one, So you're fifty one now, two years right when you're youngest to seventeen. That's still like a whole fresh I look at my my, you know, pop singer peers like Belinda Carlisle, like she's like, what sixty four sixty five, like these women who are just rocking it in their shah yah. Right, So you're gonna have this whole it's different now, yeah, but it sounds like also you have right because your your single now again. But yeah, what I don't know, Like for me the r V, I didn't know I wanted that adventure, but I started seeing them on the road and I got this little thing in my head about it, and then I just once I get the thing in my head, I have to do it really yeah, but it ends up happening. Do you have any of those types of Oh.
Speaker 2: Sure, I mean there's so much I want to do. I mean it's more like I'm very work driven so it is hard for me to find that balance between children and work and then finding a little bit of myself somewhere there. And I think having gone through my X and I sweating up and really doing that, I'm able to see a little bit more of myself there because I'm finally like, okay, I have to put myself out free, you know, free, whoa I'm like just coming out.
Speaker 1: That's okay, don't at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I guess that's what my body wanted to say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, yeah, a thousand per se. But really I would imagine like every partnership, like I wasn't a ten year thing, and he and I are still friends, but yeah, do you live your life differently? You know? And again I speaking from somebody who's been solo for most of my life really and especially the last five years. It's fun, it's nice. And again, I know you have the kids in their schedule and everything.
Speaker 2: So it's the oldest one writing ten years. So let's say he's seventeen. Let's say when he's eighteen, I'm sixty two. I could then maybe meet somebody and have like a whole life because the kids will be out there else, they'll be on their own doing their own thing, although I don't really want them to leave. I don't want to go really.
Speaker 1: And in the meantime you can meet people now too, but again you can also just do things for you.
Speaker 2: I'm not very good at being alone.
Speaker 1: You think, just because you're used to it, or well, I say.
Speaker 2: That, but I don't really know. I've never been alone. Maybe I would be great at.
Speaker 1: It, And I'm like the weirdly the opposite. So I keep saying, Oh, I think I really want a partner now, and then when it's eight PM and I'm watching a movie with my two dogs ands, I'm like, I'm so glad nobody's here right now. Now. A lot of that, weirdly is because I use my voice a lot for singing and sometimes I don't want to talk.
Speaker 2: I love that a lot.
Speaker 1: Excessively, and so like the fantasy is that I have this partner who totally understands that, like like I would like I do want I do want to have someone where I could just be like, be quiet, just be in somebody's presence and be comfortable, relaxed, and that does appeal to me. Now, Like I put that to the universe, that i'd want that now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe it's not after eight pm, like they just hang with you and then they leave it.
Speaker 1: Eight the right, it's just quiet time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's never quite in my house. Like you just reference that like being in bed with your dogs and it's eight o'clock and I'm like, oh.
Speaker 1: I know, because I hear from my sisters with kids. It's like, yeah, I know. It's a very I live a very different life, but I also sometimes have the opposite feeling where I'm like, oh, it would be fun to have a little crew around right now. It's built in energy, right, and it's built in focus because sometimes I'm also so alone with my thoughts and my emotions. It's like stupid because it's like nobody should be this, it should have this much time alone with their Especially in that RV. I'm always like it's just a recipe for being in your feelings. It's like four walls twenty five feet and you're just like there's nothing to do but cry. Like that's what happens sometimes to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you watch movies, Well, what do you mean you can?
Speaker 1: I mean I do, but yeah, it is a lot of like introspection to a degree, there's like probably a balance between your scenario and my scenario.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, imagine if we like trade it lives for a week.
Speaker 1: I'm feeling it's another idea Hallmark movie.
Speaker 2: We're trading one Hallmark.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm way Tootflix. I know I've done some Hallmark and yeah, I think I'm on the edge for Hallmark these days too, weirdly, like I'm not the edgiest person, but for Hallmarks sometimes, yeah, I think maybe. But okay, so we'll bring it to Netflix and trade lives. We're switching lives. You're going on the road to Yeah, harvy girl.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know if I could tour.
Speaker 1: I grew in your concert, and I would not send your kids out to school looking like they're supposed to do, because I don't. I don't dress a kid for school or anything like that. Oh my god, it's so bad.
Speaker 2: I've gotten so lazy with my youngest one because there's so many at night. I put him in his clothes for the day next day and convinced.
Speaker 1: It's cool to do that. My god, that is so funny.
Speaker 2: Yes, dinner, he takes his back, oh my god. Sometimes, and I'm just kidding. He always takes his bad it's hysterical. I'm kidding. I'm kidding. But then I'll be like he dude, Like I rationalize with him, and he's good at that. I was like, you know, it'll save like an extra five minutes if we get dressed now, and then you sleep later and I can sleep later. Wink wink. And yeah, he's so he sleeps in his clothes. That is really funny. My bad, mom, No.
Speaker 1: I think listen. I think if you're getting through it, you're good every day school, very few days, so we'll see how it goes. But so far, so good. Any plans for your birthday? You know, I did this really awesome friends dinner last year with like thirty people at this great French restaurant Juliette, And then this year, I'm like, I might be here. It might be Vegas. I might be literally behind the wheel of my RV the day of my birthday, which could be kind of weirdly fun. Might be hold up with my dogs watching a movie. Might be at dinner with some friends. Like I would like whatever falls in my lap this year and feels convenient, and like I'm just going to be totally in the moment about it. I have no desire for planning in advance at all this year.
Speaker 2: Great.
Speaker 1: No, my fiftieth was, by the way, My fiftieth was during COVID and I had a Zoom party and do you know Richard Whites, My friend Richard White, thank you have w co chair of wm ME. I figure you guys know each other. He hosted and was said, narrated. My friend Matt Oss British popster, he played and sang and yeah, all my friends were on Zoom Entertainment tonight sent me over a cake which my neighbor knocked on the door and delivered it to me. And when the party was done, I closed my laptop and I went up to my room with my dogs, and I was like, I am so happy I didn't have to think about a big fiftieth bash, which inevitably someone would have got offended. I would have forgotten my advisor. I wouldn't have wanted to invite.
Speaker 2: All the pressure, too much pressure, I loved.
Speaker 1: I'm kind of weirdly again, I'm like Hibernational and I don't need big to dos all the time. And I'm the same, so it depends Yet where I am like somebody, somebody can take me to brunch if they want or whatever. I don't care.
Speaker 2: Get her a French crouler from French.
Speaker 1: For a French croller. That's it. That's it. Put a candle in it. I'm good.