Speaker 1: This is The Eds with Eddie Judge and Edwin Aroyavi The Husband's Know Best, a Too Cheese production.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back to the Ed's podcast. We have Justin Rose on our podcast today. I'm so excited. Justin Rose is married to the Real Housewives of Salt Lake City cast member Whitney. They have been married for fourteen years and have two kids together, a girl, Bobby and a son, Brooks. Justin also has three sons from a previous marriage. He has thirty years plus in as an executive indirect sales. So we are so excited to get to know you, Justin, and you know, being that you were in direct sales. I think Edwin's got some great questions for you.
Speaker 1: Love Oh yeah, Justin, I love it. Thanks for having me. It's great to be here.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome Justin. Well, you got me beat by five years. I got twenty five years in direct selling, so no idea.
Speaker 1: We're in the same spirit. When we met at Bravo Kan.
Speaker 3: I knew there was a reason I liked you man, and also you're a BYO BYU guy, So now I'm all in a BYU. A lot of my sales guys come from BYU man salespeople.
Speaker 1: They're really good sales people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, great sales people.
Speaker 1: You go out and.
Speaker 4: Sell religion for two years, you can pretty much sell anything the rest.
Speaker 3: Of your life, exactly. Yes, that's where I get all That's where we get all our top recruits from. Now, So were you were you born and raised in Utah?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: I actually was born in Redondo Beach, California, so in your neck of the woods. But we moved to Houston, Texas, So I'm a Texan at heart. Went to high school in Texas and then kind of moved out to the Utah area when I went to school at BYU.
Speaker 2: How old were you when you moved to Utah.
Speaker 4: I was eighteen, so just graduated from high school. By It's actually a funny story. I wanted to go to the University of Texas because that's where all my friends were going. I even went to my college visitation to the University of Texas. I came home with an ear ring in my ear and my mom cried, and we basically.
Speaker 1: Leveled the playing.
Speaker 4: Field of Hey, if you want to go to the University of Texas, that's.
Speaker 1: Great, good luck you want to go, BYU will.
Speaker 4: Take care of your tuition cost and your school, so I went to BYU.
Speaker 3: Good incentive. There are your parents still out in Texas?
Speaker 1: No, they're here now.
Speaker 4: My dad passed away a few years ago, but my mom they moved out to Utah when he retired.
Speaker 1: So a lot of family here in Utah. Now.
Speaker 4: I still have a brother and sister in Texas, but the rest of the families.
Speaker 3: Here now that So ultimately they moved to Utah because you were going to school there and they want to be closer to you, or they just well, I wish.
Speaker 4: I could say I was the favorite, but I have an older brother and he's actually the favorite.
Speaker 1: He was a coach at b Y. He was the basketball coach at b.
Speaker 4: YU for several years, and we really we kind of rallied around him even when he played. He played for the University of Houston. I don't know if you follow basketball, but he played with Bi Slama Jama, with Alkema Lajyuwan and Clyde Drexler. So we have been a little fan group of his following around when he played and then when he started coaching. We've been everywhere that he's coached, and so my parents kind of came out here to be super close to that entire connection.
Speaker 2: That's prett only sibiling.
Speaker 1: No, we're five. Oh wow, I'm the youngest of five. I'm the black sheep of the family.
Speaker 2: So I get it that when I met you, you have that energy. It's you're just a lot of fun justin you really.
Speaker 3: Are so thirty years in direct selling? How did you get into that field?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 4: I was actually at BYU and my uncle introduced me to I needed a part time job.
Speaker 1: My uncle introduced me to someone had started a company.
Speaker 4: At the time, New Skin had been doing about twelve million in cells. They were brand new, and I just so happened to kind of get on board at a time where they were just growing and opportunities were coming up left and right. I had a chance to go from just processing orders to managing the order processing department, to marketing to sales. So a ton of really cool opportunities happened just because of the growth that happened.
Speaker 3: That's cool. So was that before you went on you I assume you went on a mission because you grew up Mormon right LDS.
Speaker 4: Yep, grew up LDS for well, I don't know if it's unfortunate, I don't wear that badge anymore. But when when I came home from my mission, obviously I was still your mission Sacramento, Sacramento Spanish speaking, so let's justpanel iocastpono siano on you.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: It's very good man.
Speaker 1: And crazy enough.
Speaker 4: I didn't know this at the time because we weren't allowed to drink on my mission, but I speak better Spanish when I drink tequila.
Speaker 3: You need too. So so you're out in Sacramento knocking doors for two years? What was that experience?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: It was? It was? It was crazy.
Speaker 4: I mean, there was parts of it that I absolutely loved. I grew up Mormons, so it just like naturally just followed the path of.
Speaker 1: My family put me in.
Speaker 4: And so when you're pushed out on a mission, it's the first time that you start to think for yourself.
Speaker 1: You're not under your.
Speaker 4: Parents' supervision any longer, and you have to navigate your own journey from there. So it was a moment I had to like dig deep inside because all my friends were at parties, schools, sending me letters because at that time you could only correspond through letters. It's changed today, but you could only call home once a year or twice a year Mother's Day in Christmas, you could actually make phone calls home, but other than that, all your correspondence was through mel and my friends would send me pictures of their incredible freshman year at Steve F. Austin and University of Texas, and that part of it was really hard. But once you kind of removed that and you focused into.
Speaker 1: You know what, it's not about me anymore.
Speaker 4: Like it's a pretty cool thing for a nineteen year old to have to step back and realize, you know what, not everything's about me, and you just yourself into I'm here for other people. I'm here to help other people. And at the time I had a belief that I felt like I was doing something very special for people, and so it was a pretty cool experience for sure.
Speaker 2: Do you think the Mormon religion or you know that, Is that a big part of why you were like that or is it just something that one day it clicked for you.
Speaker 4: No, I believe being put in that situation absolutely helps kind of like it.
Speaker 1: And you're surrounded by it as well.
Speaker 4: It's not only you, it's everybody else went through some different experience in their childhood. But now we're all equals doing the same type of work. It's pretty incredible to My two older sons went on missions as well, and I was even though I was out of the church at the time, I was super happy that they were going to get that experience.
Speaker 1: And even though they're no.
Speaker 4: Longer active in the church, they they they look back at that as a great a great time where they had to like step back and reevaluate what they wanted. What they saw was. I mean, when you when you grow up Mormon and you're just in it, it's a completely different feel than when you're out trying to convince people that that's how they should be. And so it really does open your eyes to a different world than you were used to growing up.
Speaker 3: And so when you go on in a mission, do you guys all stay like in an apartment? Is it like six of you in one apartment? Or how does that work? Because I assume most of you, most of them don't have enough money because no one's really working. So yeah, well do you get a budget? How does that work?
Speaker 4: It's a budget? I mean, your your parents pretty much funded or you have to fund it. We did a lot of things as kids to start a savings account. But there were times I lived with six five other guys. You're always in a companionship, so it was always two and there was sometimes there was just two of us in a place I lived in. I don't know if you guys are familiar with Red Bluff, California, but I lived in a little shack of a home with just one other missionary, which was Yeah, kind of a crazy experience.
Speaker 2: That sounds awesome. I mean it helps you really become well rounded. Can we go back a little bit and talk about your first marriage. Yeah, so you got married. You have how many kids with her?
Speaker 1: Three?
Speaker 2: Three kids?
Speaker 1: Three boys?
Speaker 2: Okay, and can you tell us a little bit about that experience being married as a Mormon.
Speaker 4: So when when you go on a mission, the last thing that they prepare you for is now that you've served this mission and you've done this work, you need to go get married and start a family.
Speaker 1: It's it's Yeah.
Speaker 4: When you ever wonder why all your sales guys are married edwhen, it's because the push is naturally to the next step is to find your eternal companion and start a family. And so I was still in the system. I followed the system. I came home, I believe in December of eighty nine, nineteen.
Speaker 1: This is going to age men, nineteen eighty nine. And I was.
Speaker 4: Married in August, Wow, to a girl I met in February.
Speaker 1: So that kind of shows you the accelerated path. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But was it love or was it.
Speaker 4: I mean, to me, it was absolutely. I mean it's obviously I lived a pretty sheltered life. So whether or not that is everyone's definition of love. But yeah, for me, that's what I felt like I needed to do at the time, although there were signs and hesitations along the way, but you can when you're brought up in the church, you know how to stuff things down pretty easy, kind of like just keep moving on with the program. So but she was a fantastic girl.
Speaker 1: I had an amazing marriage. We never had anything that.
Speaker 4: Was a big problem other than there came a time where I was ready to leave the church and she I couldn't do that to her because she was brought up in the church as well, and that was kind of like the beginning of our separation.
Speaker 3: And how long were you guys married?
Speaker 1: Eighteen years?
Speaker 2: Eighteen years?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So Whitney and I were coming up on fifteen So.
Speaker 2: Wow, you've already had two lives man, pretty much, pretty much. I'm really curious to know your story with Whitney because it sounds like that was definitely love and you guys made a lot of changes for each other, no doubt.
Speaker 3: Great.
Speaker 2: Can you elaborate on that. How'd you guys meet?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I'll tell you the full story over cocktails, but for the podcast, I'll share the abbreviated version.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So, Whitney, So I when I worked at I worked at New Skin, I left, I worked at a couple other direct selling companies. I worked at Melluca for a little bit in Usana for a little.
Speaker 1: Bit, and then I went back to New Skin and on my.
Speaker 4: Second tour of duty with New Skin in about two thousand and seven, two thousand and eight, I was made the president of North America in Asia Pacific. At that time, we were close to a two billion dollar company. Things were going really well for New Skin. Had a fantastic job and a career path that I was pretty excited about.
Speaker 1: I met Whitney.
Speaker 4: She was a referral to work in the department that I oversaw, and she started.
Speaker 1: I met her probably a month.
Speaker 4: Or two after she had started a new skin, and my executive assistant was going out and hiring for me to replace herself, and she chose Whitney. And that's when Whitney and I really kind of started hitting it off, and we had this amazing connection and friendship, which is something that's not allowed between the president of a company and an executive assistant.
Speaker 1: So we had to jump.
Speaker 4: Through some hoops and again we'll leave a lot of the details for the cocktails later, but there was one day that she walked in my office and she shut the door behind her, and she just looked at me and she goes, I don't know if you're feeling what I'm feeling, but if you are, I think we're in trouble.
Speaker 2: And wow, I just looked up.
Speaker 4: At her and it was a big shock in surprise. Yeah, it's just like, I think we're in trouble. What's the age difference, So we're eighteen years difference? Oh wow, Okay, yeah, so there's a little gap here, no doubt, But you wouldn't know it when we're again, absolutely no, you really know it when we're listening to music and I'm singing songs she's never heard and things, but other than that, it's it's pretty awesome.
Speaker 3: So you had no idea that she had any feelings towards you at that time, you were sort of shocked if she said that, or did you kind of know that she was into you?
Speaker 4: Or no, I actually I knew that, Oh my gosh, this woman is amazing. Never thinking even after she said that, and even after we started dating a little bit, it's kind of like this could never happen though, Like it's there's a way, like I always had this, like, yeah, she's playing with you, like at something. She's gonna wake up and be like, oh okay, I'm back on to living my life. But we did have something pretty strong, a connection that still lasts today. I mean, even when we fight, we cannot not be together, like we'll like we will go sit like we'll be upset with each other and go to dinner and not even talked, but we have to be together.
Speaker 1: It's y. Yeah, it's pretty crazy.
Speaker 2: That's love.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, now, you're I'm trying to think to this moment, because it's actually a pretty crazy moment when you think about it. You have no idea she's into you, right, and she's an attractive woman. She closes the door and says pretty much, Hey, I'm really into you. And now does the thought of like a married immediately come through or or are you just like man, I've been feeling the same way for this girl forever.
Speaker 4: It was that's a great question, and it was a shock, but again, it like it deserved a response, and a response was literally immediate.
Speaker 1: It was just like, yeah, we're effing in trouble.
Speaker 4: If that if you're being honest with me, then I yeah, I think that that is.
Speaker 1: And and so we did.
Speaker 4: We ended up having to go through an entire process with HR.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: They had a contract that we had to sign that was called the love contract that allowed someone that worked for someone else and and and actually she moved apartments when we let HR know that we were married or that we were seeing each other.
Speaker 1: And so there.
Speaker 4: Was quite a few things you had to take place from an HR perspective for us to still have our jobs.
Speaker 2: There were you already on the way out or in already out of your relationship, Yeah, you're separated already, Okay, So that allowed you the freedom to you know, explore that relationship and that.
Speaker 1: A little bit.
Speaker 4: It's definitely not anything that would be accepted in the state of Utah or the religion that I grew up with, But yeah, in the new world that I was living, it was Yeah, the.
Speaker 2: Next step is that part of the reason why you didn't you left the religion because the divorce and then get well.
Speaker 4: Obviously it's it was the fast track to be out of it. But I had started to have my doubts and going through my own faith crisis.
Speaker 1: Many years before that.
Speaker 4: So which was the reason that my me and my first wife were slowly separating?
Speaker 3: And how does the and you know many many people obviously go through separation unfortunately, right, it's not always the best. And how was the transition with you and your kids when that happened? Was that was that? Probably? I assume the toughest part is having to tell the kids.
Speaker 4: And yeah, I mean obviously super hard at the time they were.
Speaker 1: Fifteen, twelve, and nine, But.
Speaker 4: Like I have, I have the best kids in the world. They were as hurt as they were.
Speaker 1: They also they.
Speaker 4: Knew who I was, I mean, they knew who their dad was, and they wanted me to be happy and they supported me that there was never a time that there wasn't support from them, which like was almost like sometimes I would pinch myself like is this real life?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 4: And I'm sure it would have been different had I had three girls. But my boys, like they were, they were so good about the entire process. And then when I started dating Whitney, they were like, oh, thank goodness. We thought you were going to marry this old lady that was gonna like be so make you different. And we love Whitney. And so they accepted Whitney very quickly.
Speaker 3: Were they like, dad, just pretty hot, good job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my youngest had a crush on her. We had to figure that out.
Speaker 3: Well that's that's pretty that's pretty awesome, especially at that age, right, I mean, the fifteen year old could easily have gone dark on you at that point, right.
Speaker 4: Really could have. Yeah, But he was actually the biggest support. He was the I mean and and I realized, I don't take this lightly, and I don't even we I don't love to talk about how everything happened and the way it happened and the timing of it.
Speaker 1: The one thing I do respect about.
Speaker 4: Whitney from the very beginning is that Whitney has and this is the only reason I think she can do what she does, especially with real housewives, is she always owns her ship, like to the point where I'm like, okay, we don't have to say everything. I can keep a couple of things between us and we have to share everything. So that's like when she gets called out as being a liar deceptive, I'm like, do you do you know who my wife is?
Speaker 3: She doesn't know how to lie.
Speaker 1: I'm like, sometimes I wish she knew how to lie.
Speaker 4: I'd be like, if you could tell me I look okay today, Like it's okay even if you don't think it just lie.
Speaker 3: How's the blended family now?
Speaker 1: It's all it's actually the coolest.
Speaker 4: In fact, when Wynney and I when we're going out to do things, it'll be one of my one of my sons will come over and it is like my kid and the Bobby and Brooks that are here at the house. It's a big party, like they love it. In fact, they encourage us to leave, they encourage us to go places. So that's that mccaid or Trey can come over and hang out with them, and it's it's again. I'd literally pinch myself because I know not every family has that dynamic. But for some reason, I get credit to my boys because they have just been loving and accepting of every situation they've been thrown in.
Speaker 2: So it's beginning to sound too good to be true, but I know it exists out there. Are you telling us that your ex didn't cause any havache? Didn't you know, say anything bad about your new girlfriend or wife? Now?
Speaker 4: Oh, we we went through the normal things that everybody would go through. It was I mean, social media wasn't what it was back then, so it really was pretty private.
Speaker 1: It was just between us and it wasn't nasty.
Speaker 4: It was there was hurt feelings, but understanding and yeah, and then there was a period of time where we co parented and she was the prime I mean she she was an amazing mother. My older boys had the greatest mom, and we were able to work through it in a very uh not in a friendship all but in a very structured Yeah, the kids will be full time with you. This is the time I would love to have them, and we just worked through it.
Speaker 3: Was she able to find someone as well, really really quick?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Well, I think the reason I asked that is I think that helps, right when it does help the other spouse can find someone as well. But if they don't, then there's that I'm sort of gonna make your life miserable because I haven't been able to find what you Yah know.
Speaker 4: She found someone that fit her really well, and they're doing really well. The kids, you know, had a bonus dad there. He played a big role in their upbringing as well.
Speaker 2: That's great. That's obviously the biggest benefit of having that is for the kids.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I do know that not everybody gets that situation.
Speaker 1: Sometimes that can be like go a completely different way.
Speaker 4: So I know how lucky I am to have the situation I have.
Speaker 2: That's good. Good for you, man, You're very fortunate. How did you guys get involved on the show? Like? How did it happen?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 4: We had lived in northern California for about six years. I worked for a company out there called Shackley out of Pleasanton, California, and we lived in San Ramon, and I got a job offer to come back to Utah. So we moved back to Utah two thousand and sixteen twenty seventeen timeframe, and at that time, Whitney had just graduated from Saint Mary's. A lot of people don't know that she not only graduated from Saint Mary's, but she graduated with honors, and she was trying to figure out what she was going to do for a career path. She worked for an events company for a little bit, and then when we moved back to Utah, she was a stay at home mom for a little bit and then looking to see what she wanted to do. She actually went and did a photo shoot for me. I think they're called boudoir photo shoots. So it was for a birthday gift, and the photographer happened to be Heather Gay. So she was introduced and met Heather Gay for the first time and they.
Speaker 1: Hit it off.
Speaker 4: She she actually did the boudoir shoot with a couple other friends that were doing the same thing for their husbands and they all they had.
Speaker 1: A great time.
Speaker 4: So that's where she met Heather and they remained friends. And Heather had been kind of telling her, Hey, I'm working on this thing.
Speaker 1: I think you would be amazing at it.
Speaker 4: I don't know what it's going to be, but they're looking at filming something here in the.
Speaker 1: State of Utah. It's kind of reality based, but I don't know what it'll be.
Speaker 4: But I'm gonna put your name in, and so Heather was the one that introduced her, and all of a sudden, I get a call at work and Whitney was like, Hey, so we have this inner you tonight. I've done a couple of interviews already, but now they want to meet you. So are you okay to get on camera at.
Speaker 1: Such and such time? And that was that. That was my introduction.
Speaker 4: I had no idea and either did Whitney of what kind of show it was going to be.
Speaker 1: We came home.
Speaker 4: I brought home these lights that come with uh, you know, recording and stuff, just to have a good lighting.
Speaker 1: And yeah, we just started to get asked about everything.
Speaker 4: And that's when I realized that Whitney shares everything. Like I'm like looking at her and not knowing how to like, oh, you're going to share that too. Oh we're gonna say okay, we're talking about Okay, now.
Speaker 1: We're talking about that. But that's that's how it started.
Speaker 4: And then once they got together as a cat they had a couple dinners and stuff to see who kind of fit and they still I don't think knew that it was going to be your Real Housewives franchise.
Speaker 2: But so they kept that like as they didn't want you to know, right, they wanted to interview you. Okay, yeah, but she.
Speaker 4: Always made me feel like I was going to be nothing a part of it, like I just need your support, Like.
Speaker 2: You just need to smart very smoor, you'll have to.
Speaker 4: Worry about anything. And then yeah, it turned out to be a little different.
Speaker 3: But how did direct sales help you with filming? And I assume you're not a shy guy in front of the cameras because you're probably used to being on stages and talking to twenty thousand people with your direct sales background or did not.
Speaker 4: No, it's definitely a different feel from being on a stage in front of people to just being in a room where cameras are rolling and you're trying to Like I was a fish out of water the first season. I believe I was actually traveling. I think I was traveling international. I was flying home and I had to leave from the airport to Top Golf where they're having an event for Sharif. It was his birthday. Jin was throwing a big party for him and they were filming it, and so Whitney was like, hey, I know you won't be able to be at the first part, but if you can at least show up, I think that would be great. And I went straight to top golf and that was like the first big fight that blew up on real households of Salt Lake City. Gin was really really mad at Whitney, threw a glass, said she was ruining. Sharif and I were over in a bay, like he was in the bay next to me, and we were just hitting golf balls like we're just looking back, like what in the world is We had no idea what was going on, but we were getting to know each other and like hitting it off.
Speaker 1: And I kind of realized then.
Speaker 4: That I like to be kind of away from the action just that can in on it every once in a while. But what I've learned also about my journey is eventually you get thrusted into.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I have an interesting question for you, and this is a lot of it based off my experience. Have you ever found yourself in a situation where you wanted to support or further support or get involved in the drama between your wife and another cast member, whether it's a male or female. Did you ever feel like I better step up and I feel I need to support my wife and say something.
Speaker 4: Here, stay tuned all that.
Speaker 2: Oh you did it this season, because I feel like.
Speaker 4: The first four seasons I navigated perfectly. Like you know what, John Barlow and I were sitting out of dinner with Lisa and Whitney like literally yelling at each other for an hour straight and like food was coming and cocktails were coming.
Speaker 1: And this was early on where do we eat? Do we like? What are we like?
Speaker 4: And John and I have a great relationship, so like there's no beef between us, but we're just like, like, who are our wives right now? Like we were completely stunned. So I felt like I was able to navigate even the worst moments of the drama being right in my face. Yeah, but yeah, it eventually caught up to me season five.
Speaker 2: So it does. It caught out to me this season myself too, And it happened to be I think it was probably right after the episode when Edwin and I were talking about, you know, not getting involved with any of the drama, and next thing, you know, somehow a week later, I'm involved with the drama and yeah, I totally jinxed it. And you know, the following time I saw edwin, I'm like, bro, I did it.
Speaker 1: You know what?
Speaker 4: Hey, that makes me feel so much better because I've been dreading, dreading what's coming.
Speaker 2: But well, the way I remember it, that's the funny thing, the way I remember it. I I guess I came off like an idiot, you know, as you know, just losing my cool, which is not not what I like to do. But according to the rest of the cast that witnessed it all, they said that you were cool, collected, and totally classy about it. So I don't know how Bravo was going to play it that, you know, to be determined, right, Am I going to look like an idiot defending myself? Or am I going to be like a hero?
Speaker 1: You you just don't know, Like now you're scared.
Speaker 4: Well, hopefully it turns out exactly like you said, because again my situation, I kind of got that same feedback.
Speaker 1: Oh you're justin you were in the right, yeah, but you just don't know.
Speaker 3: You just don't know.
Speaker 2: He speaking of.
Speaker 3: So, You've had obviously an amazing career with your executive life, and season three you film some stuff that got you. From what I believe, I think you got fired because of it. So were you in shock? And when you filmed it, did you kind of think I might get fired for doing this? Screwed it, I'm gonna do it anyway, or just a complete yeah.
Speaker 2: I want you to tell us about that moment, because I don't. I haven't seen that moment. I've only seen We're still friends.
Speaker 3: Like, okay, the photo I'm gonna use. You know, it's funny. So I saw the photo because when when we knew you were coming, someone sent it and I glanced at it. My heart dropped because I thought it was teddy. I thought you guys were playing a joke on me.
Speaker 1: That's actually really really funny. That's oh my goodness.
Speaker 4: So I'll back up and then i'll kind of explain when I worked at Life Manage. Life Manage is a publicly traded company, so I was a chief sales officer for them, and you know when you work for a publicly traded company, it's pretty strict. I mean, everything has to be signed off on. In fact, I got permission to do well, permission for Whitney to do this show.
Speaker 1: I did go through that process.
Speaker 4: My CEO at the time was all for it, like he was like, hey, there's no such thing bad publicity, like let's get you in swag. And so you'll notice the first few seasons I have life Vantage gear on.
Speaker 1: I'm you know.
Speaker 4: And then I think they didn't quite understand what real housewives could be or and and we actually changed CEOs.
Speaker 1: We got a much more conservative.
Speaker 4: CEO in house, and the dynamics started to change.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: When I realized that I was in a little bit of trouble was every board meeting.
Speaker 1: Aaron Brockovich was one of our board members.
Speaker 2: By the way, oh wow, Orange County.
Speaker 4: And she apparently she made a run at being a housewife. At one time she warned me when I was getting permission to do it, that I would be divorced soon if I did it.
Speaker 1: We went in and jumped in anyways, but.
Speaker 4: She uh So the board of directors, every time we would break and have a little bit of time to each other, they all wanted to know about the show. Everybody wanted to ask about Whitney and the show. And then at that time there was a lot of energy around Jinshaw, So what's going on there? Da da da, And then there was one board meeting that no one asked me anything like, uh oh, the honeymoon is over, and it was the conversation was it looked the timing and everything looked like it was because of that one scene. And I'm sure that played a role in it, but they just felt like they didn't want their chief sales officer in that type of situation.
Speaker 1: So I couldn't blame them.
Speaker 4: It was a departure that that needed to happen for me to get to where I am now. So yeah, but it was, Yeah, it was a little a little hard at the moment, for sure.
Speaker 2: Tell us about the scene, Now, what did we do?
Speaker 1: So I don't know.
Speaker 4: Everybody has their own like this is how I want to be read it after a business trip, But my dream would be to come home and my wife to answer the door in lingerie with my favorite red wine and my favorite food. And that just so happened to play out in the filming of Real Housewives of Salt Lake City.
Speaker 1: So I'm getting.
Speaker 4: Home from the airport and I didn't know we were filming, and but I see all the production cars and trucks in front of my house and I'm like, oh, and I'm exhausted. I don't want this, And I go to walk you through the door, and someone came out and said, justin can.
Speaker 1: You can you stay?
Speaker 4: Can you hold Yeah, I'm on the porch for a little bit. We're just finishing up some things and then are you good to film?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Like, oh yeah, yeah, I guess.
Speaker 4: So I'm out there with my suitcase waiting for about thirty minutes while they're finishing, and then finally they're like, okay, go ahead, do you mind just kind of ringing the doorbell.
Speaker 1: I'm like, well, okayt.
Speaker 4: Whinney opens the door and her lingerie and just we It was everything I wanted. But you're in that moment and you're like enjoying wine, you're having a conversation with your wife, There's so many things going through your head, and then you're like, there are.
Speaker 1: A lot of people in my house right now.
Speaker 4: I wish they I wish they were And then she was like, hey, do you remember the gift that our friend gave us for Christmas?
Speaker 1: And I'm like, oh, yeah, the Love is Art.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: She's like, well, I think we should do it. And I'm like I've been waiting for you to say yeah, I'm all for no, I think we should do it now.
Speaker 2: And It's like once you jump on that bullet train, you can't jump off now, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, now it's baby steps, right because I'm like looking at her like, I mean you mean, like she's like, oh, yeah, yeah, we'll just set it up and then we'll just you know, like it. So we go upstairs and yeah, like it happened so fast.
Speaker 1: But I do have to tell you the funniest because I.
Speaker 4: Don't know if you know what love us art is, but you throw a canvas down on the floor and then you paint yourselves and then you roll around on the canvas and it makes art, right, So all the different colors of paint that you have on each other and you're rolling around.
Speaker 2: But you're not naked, are you?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Not filming?
Speaker 4: I mean you're I'm sure love his Art could be done naked if you weren't filming, But no, I had I had boxer briefs.
Speaker 1: On, and she had but she had a thong on and just nipple guards.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it was a hot pick. I was impressed.
Speaker 4: So yeah, and again she she told me that we were just gonna lay it out and get it ready and maybe paint each other up, and we call it.
Speaker 1: A scene right, and then all of a sudden, we're rolling around.
Speaker 4: Well before that, though, I like, I didn't want to take my shirt off. I had like I wasn't in the best shape, but like I was nervous about.
Speaker 1: How far we were actually taking this.
Speaker 4: And one of our camera guys was like, hey, Justin, would it help if I took my shirt off?
Speaker 1: She was like, yes, yeah, that would be awesome. And so we're continued.
Speaker 3: You look pretty. You look pretty ripped to me right here now, I mean you look you look like you're working out. You don't look like you're out of shape in this pic.
Speaker 1: By the way, Oh you're very You're very kind. You must be in sales.
Speaker 4: But through that process, I look over to the site and there he is with this camera without a shirt off. I like, I just at that point in time, I just laughed and realized that it's going to be what it was going to be. But here's a crazy thing that a lot of people don't know. This was the year that Jinny, who was on for just one season, they came into some issues at the end, and when we went to reunion and you you get all your episodes to watch and catch up to be prepared for reunion. That scene didn't make it, and I was like so happy. I was like, oh my gosh, we dodged the biggest ball scene is not going to make it. And then we went through the whole reunion and that, and then a week or two after that was when things came out about Ginny and then she got let go from the show, and they took a lot of the scenes that they had thought they were going to play from her. Oh and one of the ones they replaced it was love Is, So there's.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised they were going to plan to keep it out. That's good stuff. I mean, that is house life stuff was changed.
Speaker 3: It changed your life for you. Probably would have been working at the same company still right.
Speaker 4: Probably without a doubt, probably be still there, but probably walking on.
Speaker 1: Egg shells as I needed to at the time.
Speaker 3: So I'm curious on the on how a non compete works, because if they get rid of you, shouldn't you be able to like just go work wherever you want Or was it one of those like Okay, well we're going to take care of you, but for a year you can't work and be a competitor.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was within the industry. It was a non compete to work for a full year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that must have been tough on you, right, so because you've been working all your life. And then so, what was that experience like, all of a sudden another for a year now you can't really do anything. You drive yourself nuts? Or or was it good time off?
Speaker 4: No? I drove myself completely nuts. It would be great time off if you knew what was next, but at that point in time it was so new and fresh.
Speaker 1: I didn't know what was next.
Speaker 4: And so yeah, I was a little hard on myself for a little bit, and then I kind of realized it was what it was, and I kind of leaned into the fact that I had some freedom that I hadn't had.
Speaker 1: I became a soccer dad.
Speaker 4: I was driving my kids around to practices and getting time with them that I hadn't had. So I I, once I got out of my funk, I actually utilized it to be a great experience. But mentally, it's really tough when you're that far into your career and you don't know how other people are going to view that, and and and so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had to fight through that.
Speaker 3: And how does psychologically your wife becomes the breadwinner now, right, because now you're not working. Was that tough or was it was? She more like, don't worry about it. I got it from here for right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Her her goal has been for the last little bit was I'm going to retire you justin I'm going to get you out of I'm going to get you out of corporate, bring you home, I'll let you take care of the kids, and I'm going to go to work. I mean, that was That's kind of been her her thing. And when you know her determination, you realize Whitney gets what she wants pretty much, you know, all the time. And but but there was that dynamic does shift a little bit, and it I think it messes with men probably more than it does women. And I was getting paid that no one compete did come with the fact that I was still getting paid, But it didn't come with what's next.
Speaker 2: Right right, So.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's It's an awesome share man. That that was a good story there.
Speaker 4: I still I still can't believe we went through. She feels guilty even today. She feels like, oh my gosh, I'm like, no, you put us where we are now and we're we're definitely in a better place with better people and.
Speaker 2: So, but it also didn't it give you some time to help Whitney with her business. I mean, your skills are obviously universal and you can do a lot with various companies.
Speaker 1: And I tried. I tried really hard.
Speaker 4: So Whitney her her wild Roast Beauty at the time was e commerce, and network marketing is completely different from e commerce. But I tried to dive in as much as I could, and there was some frustration because she would it well. I thought this was like the perfect time for you to come in and kind of take over for wild Rose Beauty and to do and I'm like, I'll do what I can, but like, I don't do a lot of the things you are trying to accomplish right now.
Speaker 1: And so.
Speaker 4: The fact that the things have evolved the way they have, we are actually in business together now with her with their skincare. So, but at that time, she was really trying to get me to move into a different industry space.
Speaker 1: And I feel like, after thirty something years, I got one trick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, same with me.
Speaker 2: You're really good at it. You got to keep doing.
Speaker 3: One pony when it comes to that too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess I would consider that a positive experience, you know what I mean. Yeah, it's it's even though you had some adverse reactions and obviously got fired from your job, I still think that was a positive experience. Can you share with us a negative experience you've had on the show that you either regret or wish you never had participated in or anything.
Speaker 1: Well, we can't really talk about season five. Let me think one.
Speaker 4: Through four, you know what outside of that I mean, and that's not even a regret. I mean, obviously, what was going through my head when we were doing the Love is Art scene was I have two options here, I back out and just refuse to do this and make my wife look foolish, right.
Speaker 2: And they'll show it, and they'll show it that way, you.
Speaker 4: Will show it that way, I'll look so so that's why I kind of just, you know, really just went with it. But and it's not it's definitely isn't a regret. And we try to, you know, live our life around the fact that, hey, you know, even even when we have things that we aren't super proud of that we've done, let's learn from the situation and let's grow from the situation, so we don't have to look back and say, oh my gosh, that ruined this aspect of my life or this just let's learn from our mistakes.
Speaker 1: And move on. But I don't have a lot. I feel like I navigated.
Speaker 4: The first few seasons as good as I could, standing in a lot of corners and a lot.
Speaker 2: Of different I always did behind the camera.
Speaker 1: By the camera is a great place due.
Speaker 2: They can't catch me here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So no real negative experience. I mean, the only negative experience is really when you see your wife in a certain place as a result of something with the show, and it's usually more about the hate that she's read or something being done. And people ask me all the time, like how different is it from real life? And I'm like, well, it's the same, but your highs are higher and your lows are lower, because like, normally you wouldn't have the reaction that you have.
Speaker 1: When you're reading, you know, some ridiculous post online.
Speaker 4: But they can't can get really really low when people are just you know, not good human beings.
Speaker 2: For what it's worth, it still happens with Tamra. We just you know, started the show for the Orange County season and she's going through that again. You know, it's like reading emotions. Yeah, and you know she's not happy about the way they edit it, and you know, like, babe, we've been doing this long enough. They you can't control what they air and you really don't know the story they're trying to tell, so you just have to watch it. But it still affects her. Still hard, No, that's still really really hard for her. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean it's easy for me to be like Whitney stopped.
Speaker 2: Looking yeah, yeah, yeah, and.
Speaker 1: You know what, she does a really good job for a long time. Yeah, back you now.
Speaker 4: But once you put your toe into it, you do, you kind of jump right back in. And I can tell the days that she's spent, you know, reading or looking at things that are not the most positive. And it's unfortunate because everything else is awesome, like when we travel and when we go places. And they might be the people that are posting miserable things online, but when they greet you, they're amazing and they tell you, you know, how much they appreciate what you've done. And especially with Whitney for sharing her journey and the things she's gone through, I can't tell you how many people have come up to tell her how much that meant to them to think that, hey, I'm not alone in this. I deal with some of the same things that you were dealing with, and I just really appreciate you bringing it out.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that side of it is pretty awesome.
Speaker 3: And justin with obviously Utah being a big LDS community. When you and Whitney go out, do you see people give you certain type of looks or is it mostly friendly all the time? What's that dynamic like down there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what, it's mostly friendly.
Speaker 4: Like people are really good and we're usually in places like where those nasty looks. We're not in church anymore that the LDS church with if we do, the church is usually a non denominational church, so we don't get those types of looks, which I'm sure.
Speaker 1: Be cast at us. But but yeah, most people are just so.
Speaker 4: Gracious and good and and then others just yeah, if if there's if there's an mixed energy or negative energy, they usually don't even approach you. But we have had a few people say weird things.
Speaker 2: Oh really, Like I was gonna ask you what, I'd never had anybody in person give us a negative experience like that, you know, or say anything. I I probably because I don't really look around enough, you know, I just I don't pay attention to that negativity. But we probably had had some ugly looks or you know, smirks or faces, but I don't see them. And when I don't see it doesn't affect.
Speaker 1: Me, right, which is awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, never ever has anybody come up to us and said anything negative. It's only on social media.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's all social media is where it lives, and so I should I should clarify. And it wasn't directed at us personally. But we were on a cruise and this just happened like three weeks ago. We were on a cruise with the family. My kids are with a bunch of friends. We traveled with some friends out there and they were with a group of people and they recognized Brooks, my youngest son, from the show and they were like, oh, my gosh, you're Whitney's and he's like yeah, and they're like, oh, we don't like Whitney.
Speaker 1: Would you tell an eleven year old boy that?
Speaker 4: Like it actually infuriated me and like, but but that's it's.
Speaker 1: So rare that stuff like that happens it really is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's rude.
Speaker 3: It's crazy how many people lack just emotional intelligence, right, especially.
Speaker 1: With the kid.
Speaker 4: And it was like it was a grown lady expressing her thoughts on it, and you know, yeah, just one of those things that you you deal with.
Speaker 1: But I I agree with you, Eddie. Most of it is just positive.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know what I do find something you said that I find interesting and so true is how much corporate people love to talk about the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Right, You would think they wouldn't because who watches it, but like typically like their wives watch it or something, and they just slept discussing what happens behind the scenes, which is like entertaining.
Speaker 4: When it's when it's when it's showing. Like I spend the morning after the show airs, like in a full conversation with a lot of the staff that I work with, like answering questions and getting their opinions on things. And of course they're very uh biased towards us and very nice about like how things happen to us, so they're definitely on our side.
Speaker 1: But it does they they love, They love to jump into it, get the details.
Speaker 2: I have a neighbor a few houses down that somehow found himself in Washington in a political event. Maybe it was a charity event or something, but it was a politician that was talking to him. And this is kind of the general way that this happens. You know, everybody thinks everybody who lives in Orange County knows each other. So when he told him he lives in Orange County, like, oh my god, do you know any of the housewives? And he's like, well, it's funny, you ass it's my neighbor, you know, And he felt like he just he texts us, furs, is it okay if we can you know facetimey. So this politician, you know, can you know say him like a politician wants to talk to us. They watched the show.
Speaker 5: I literally have been blown away by the people that watch Bravo.
Speaker 1: It surprises you of.
Speaker 4: Like people that are like it does attract a very very he sophisticated, high level of education things that you would be like, well, that's not normal, like I thought those people never watch TV, only.
Speaker 2: Read books exactly, but it is.
Speaker 4: It's a great checkout for people and when and those are those are a lot of the people that do approach us when we're traveling when we're sitting down on a plane, you'll you'll get it, like, oh yeah, I'm the assistant district attorney from so and so. Whitney sat by quite a few lawyers that are just.
Speaker 1: The biggest fans. Yeah, yeah, it does surprise you a little bit.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: Jen Shaw's husband, Yeah, yes, yes, talk to us about him.
Speaker 4: Like I miss him, Like he was always a breath of fresh air, Like he he was one of the coolest guys, Like, and I only know him from the show. Whitney and Jen met because of the show, and so I was interviewed to him at some of our first events.
Speaker 1: But he's the kind of guy that you.
Speaker 4: Meet and you're like, oh my gosh, this could be my next best friend, Like I love and he's so he's a football coach for the of Utah And in one of the reunions, I think it was the second reunion, second or third reunion, he was he got we we were in the room waiting for us to be called in and he got a call from.
Speaker 1: One of his.
Speaker 4: Potential players and he was like, guys, are you okay if I like this guy's this kid's parents are calling me, are you Okay if I take this call in front.
Speaker 1: Of you, and we were like, yeah, that's great.
Speaker 4: So he takes his call and it was like I was ready to go to the University of Utah and play football by the time that company. It was the most amazing thing ever, Like just the way he speaks, the passion that comes from inside of him when he gets really excited about what he's involved with. He did actually end up recruiting that kid. It was one of the kids from Texas that he didn't know if he was going to commit to Utah, but he got.
Speaker 1: But that's the type of guy he is.
Speaker 4: He's just always so upbeat, so like really really one of those people, you one of those unique people that you meet that is just always on point.
Speaker 3: And have you got to hang out with him since jen Win in prison?
Speaker 4: Well unfortunately not, Like that's that's one of the things that comes when you meet someone in this process and then something like I don't know how many people have had to deal with something like this.
Speaker 1: I know, you know, I've just wished him well.
Speaker 4: Obviously, I'm sure looking back that this is probably something painful that he has to, you know, not only live through what he's living, through. But to watch it on TV and to get everybody in America commenting on it has got.
Speaker 1: To be a really, really hard situation.
Speaker 4: So I haven't had that opportunity and chance, and it makes me sad because I do think the world of Sharif, and you know, he has two amazing kids and one that's still playing football right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just I wish the best for him for sure.
Speaker 2: Other than Sharif, is there another house husband that you got along with and spend time without show.
Speaker 4: Our husband like we I love everyone like I get along. I get along with everyone. I don't know how well you guys know Angie Cascaravis's husband, Sean.
Speaker 2: He's one of spent Yeah, we spent some time with him.
Speaker 4: Okay, one of the coolest guys, so low key, but just just a great, great guy.
Speaker 1: I've always got along with John, even when our wives are not getting along.
Speaker 4: We've always figured out how to navigate through that. And then Seth is one of those people. Seth Marx is one of those people that you just want to be around. All he wants to do is talk about sports.
Speaker 1: And that's kind of my kind of guy.
Speaker 4: And and and the thing that we've been able to do as husbands is really not participate. Like there's always times that like Seth and I have to run into each other when Meredith and Whitney aren't getting along great. Yeah, we've been able to kind of understand that, Hey, that's what it is.
Speaker 1: I have no beef with you, you have no beef with me.
Speaker 4: I actually really enjoy spending time with with all the husbands.
Speaker 2: Is there a husband on the on the Salt Lake City Housewife Network or cast? I should say that gets over involved like the sixth or seventh house Wife?
Speaker 4: Uh I not not current well not current well yeah, not currently currently. Dewey was kind of playing into that role a little bit. I know that was earlier on in the seasons, but uh yeah, that he was someone that we the rest of us would kind of look at each other like, hey, hey, this isn't about us, this is about our lives.
Speaker 2: Yes, get involved, don't get involved.
Speaker 1: So he was thrusting himself in that limelight. But I don't.
Speaker 4: I think the rest of us are are pretty satisfied with our place, and uh yeah, for the most part, they allow us to just spend time together when we get together, and there's only a few times and season five probably changes it a little bit. But there's only a few times that there's anything but just really good energy between.
Speaker 1: All of us.
Speaker 2: That's good to know. I mean, I've had only one real friendship, but that was with David Badore. The entire experience I've I mean, obviously I do enjoy Shane's Company's he stays out of it as much as he loves to watch the show and the reality TV show we interviewed him. He was, he was phenomenal and just funny.
Speaker 4: Or I hear about him and I've had the chance to meet him, I hear great, great things.
Speaker 2: He's a cool cat. But the rest of the people as well, right, yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah about those Mormons, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then you know we have Terry Debro, who's really cool. You know, he knows how the TV world works. He's got his own show, so yeah, very experience, very experienced, and doesn't let it get to his head. But there's yeah, there's been some guys like, dude, this is not about you, it's not your show.
Speaker 1: You might as well and you're like you're going to find out that You're going.
Speaker 2: To find out the wrong way.
Speaker 5: Hard did you try I think, yeah when we uh, they they they had us come together quite a bit in the first few seasons, and I did.
Speaker 4: We got a lot of hate online that we were trying to be the Jersey husbands, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, nobody's competing with Jersey.
Speaker 4: Like, believe me, they got this thing down. We're not trying to compete. We were just asked to come together.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I have found that it's difficult to have a relationship, not just because when the girls are fighting, you know, it's hard to navigate through that. You know, it's it's it's weird. It's just weird to say, Okay, we our wives aren't getting along, so how are we going to get along? Right, unless you have a lot in common and you're spending a lot of time together, which I was with David. But it's still when when he got divorced and he went off the show and my wife was still backing up and Shannon with her divorce, He's like, bro, I can't be friends with you if your wife's gonna be talking shit on me, right, Like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that makes it, that does where it kind of crosses the line, right, Yeah, start reading that hate like.
Speaker 1: We all feel it and we all see it like that.
Speaker 4: That is and and that's one thing that we've been able to do as husbands is not participate.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's why when we get together we're good.
Speaker 4: But if Seth Mars was out there talking trash about me in between, I'm not gonna want to see Seth when we have something to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, it sounds like this season you got involved, I got involved, And there's there's definitely it's.
Speaker 1: Not a lot. And you know what, there's always hope that it doesn't show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know they're gonna show it.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm gonna have to go back to season three and watch that little that little clip of you and and then I'm definitely gonna watch season five.
Speaker 1: This is this is how we stay friends, is we don't watch.
Speaker 2: Great talking you justin. I appreciate you coming on. It's always fun having fun husbands and and you know, share their fun experience and you know, some of the tragic ones that happened, we've all had them. But I appreciate you coming on.
Speaker 1: This is awesome love it appreciate you guys, Thanks so much.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Just with the podcast fit.
Speaker 4: Here, you're kind of the only five star podcast out there, like, there's not many.
Speaker 2: I love to We're the only house husband podcasts. That's why.
Speaker 1: Keep it going.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you guys, that's you guys, all right, brother