Speaker 1: It's topic.
Speaker 2: Times called eight hundred and five eight five five one to join it to the discussion with the Breakfast club.
Speaker 1: Talk about it morning.
Speaker 3: Everybody's dj n V Charlamagne the guy we ought to breakfast Club. Now we're taking your calls eight hundred and five five one five one if you just join us. During front page news, we were talking about Arizona Republican reference to black Americans as colored people.
Speaker 1: Was his name?
Speaker 4: I don't know his name. Let's let's play the audio.
Speaker 5: Mister chairman, though that was unbelievably inspiring. My amendment has nothing to do with whether or not colored people or black people or anybody can serve. Okay, that has nothing to do with costaking any of that stuff. What we want to preserve and maintain is the fact that our military does not become a social experiment. We want the best of the best. We want to have standards that guide who who's in, what unit, what they do. And I'm going to tell you guys right right now, the Russians, the Chinese, the Iranians, the North Koreans, they are not they are not doing this because they want the strongest military possible.
Speaker 6: I'd like to be recognized to have the words colored people stricken from the record. I find it offensive and very inappropriate.
Speaker 5: Is a general lady asking for unanimous consents to take down the words.
Speaker 6: I am asking for unanimous consent to take down the words of referring to me or any of my colleagues as colored people.
Speaker 7: Well, the congressman the name is Eli Krank, Eli Krane is that name. Look, I'm not saying that colored people is not offensive because everything is about context. So there's absolutely a context with colored people can be offensive. But I don't think that was one of those times. And if colored people is offensive, then we need to have a meeting. Because we use colored people all the time in various ways. We say people of color, and people of color is just saying colored people with better grammar. NAACP is the National Association for the Advancement of Color. The people hell in the ways intro they say we're happy and we're singing, and we're colored. So all I'm saying is if color is offensive, colored people is offensive, then we need to have a meeting and revise some things, don't you think?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean the Waynes brothers are black, so they can say color just like they can say the N word if they can say it if they want, But when it comes to anybody on the outside race using it, I don't like it. I think it's offensive and if people don't like it, it just doesn't feel right.
Speaker 4: It doesn't sit right with me.
Speaker 7: When I just why people of color when they say people, when they refer to us in brown people as people of color, because that's just saying color colored people with better grandma.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't really hear people say that.
Speaker 1: Say it.
Speaker 4: People here say black people.
Speaker 1: I say everybody's people of color.
Speaker 4: People do you meet?
Speaker 1: People of color is used every day. They use that term all the time.
Speaker 7: They lumpus all it and they be like people of color diversity and.
Speaker 3: In when they say people of color, they usually you they mean what black people, They mean brown people. They can mean Indian people, that could mean Spanish people, It could mean so many different people.
Speaker 4: But colored people means black people.
Speaker 3: When you true, when you refer to let's say somebody's and it's just somebody Indian or somebody, they don't them as colored people.
Speaker 4: Well, color people is referred to as black.
Speaker 7: My point is people of color, colored people, it's the same thing.
Speaker 1: You're just using better grammar.
Speaker 3: But if people are offended by it, people are offended by it, maybe shouldn't say it seemed like and I know what I'm saying, discuss every other organizational group. If they say they offended by it, people stop using it. The LGBTQ community is there were words that we would say back in the eighties that that would refer to like, for instance, homosexual. Right now, I don't think I can use that.
Speaker 4: Term referred to them.
Speaker 1: I can't say homosex.
Speaker 4: I don't think you make me sit.
Speaker 1: Sometimes, yes, you can say homosexual this one. You can't say homosexual.
Speaker 3: Take the sexual little You can't say that different But back then you could or the same thing with a.
Speaker 1: You couldn't back then, by the way, I know you couldn't.
Speaker 7: There's never been a time you could just call somebody the homosexual without the section.
Speaker 1: Maybe you don't remember that.
Speaker 3: Maybe a little person little person before you would say midgie.
Speaker 4: Now you can't say midge.
Speaker 1: Still say midgie a little person sounds offense.
Speaker 3: Both the little people, well, you all little purpose, so you could you know what list all.
Speaker 7: I'm simply saying is And by the way, when people are offended, they call their organizations, right, they have their back. So if I'm offended by the word colored people, I got to call it a National Association for the Advancement of Colored People to have my back.
Speaker 1: You don't see how stupid that sounds? Like that?
Speaker 4: All right, well, let's go to the phone lines.
Speaker 3: VIVI and good morning, good morning, how are you. I'm sorry for laughing and I hate them, but go ahead.
Speaker 8: Yes, I'm calling because I disagree with Charlamagne. He's saying, okay. First of all, it was establage in nineteen oh nine. Back then the term colored was accepted, and not to mention. It wasn't exclusively for blacks. It was really for people of color.
Speaker 4: And as time.
Speaker 9: Goes on, there are yes. I told, why would you say, why would it be called the National Association for.
Speaker 4: The N word? That would even be considered because.
Speaker 8: There are a lot of times are a lot of them. I'm sorry, I guess there are a lot of terms that over time become unacceptable, like the term the R word, you know, for people to mention illness illnesses over time, doctor King.
Speaker 3: Yeah, back then those words that were okay, let's change, and she's talking about okay and we're not talking about the word retarding.
Speaker 4: People don't like that word. Now, it's different words, same thing with LGBT.
Speaker 7: Can we take a step back for a second. I can see that both we all are correct. I don't disagree with any of those points. But what I'm simply saying is, why do we still call it the NAACP didn't Why do we still say people of color?
Speaker 1: That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 9: What should we change it to?
Speaker 10: I don't know what should we change it to.
Speaker 7: I'm just saying it just feels crazy because this is an established organization.
Speaker 2: It's been around for over one hundred years, you know, to change it now, it just wouldn't sound right.
Speaker 7: You actually don't said. We're saying that colored people is offensive? Why wouldn't we change And you're telling me that over time colored people has gotten more offensive. Why wouldn't we tell them to change the name of the organization?
Speaker 4: We should?
Speaker 6: Then?
Speaker 4: Hello? Who's this?
Speaker 10: This is Kim?
Speaker 4: Hey Kim, good morning? What's your thoughts?
Speaker 10: I completely disagree, But what Charlamagne is talking about, Chela me. You have got to take a second and think about the words that you're saying. You're listening to respond, but you're not listening to understand. If the NAAP was started in nineteen o nine, it makes perfectly good sense. The context text of the word matters. Like how he was saying it was in a derogatory manner. It's the same way we use the N word in our culture. It's accepted within our culture, but we know surely when somebody's saying it in a negative way. So you can't just keep saying, oh, this organization uses it. So why is it defensive?
Speaker 6: Offensive?
Speaker 10: Is absolutely offensive the way it was focused.
Speaker 1: Do you think that makes sense? Said?
Speaker 10: It makes perfectly this.
Speaker 7: Okay, So let me ask you a question. We're saying that the term colored people is offensive, right, You're saying that.
Speaker 10: I'm saying, and the context that it was used and the way it was used was offensive.
Speaker 7: I don't think the context that he used it in on that floor is defensive. I think there is a way that that word can be used in the context that offensive, but not the way he used it just now on.
Speaker 3: That floor eight hundred five A five, one oh five one. We're gonna take more calls if you're just joining us. Arizona Republican h He was on the House floor and referred to black Americans as colored people, were asking what your thoughts will play the audio when we come back.
Speaker 4: It's the breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: Good morning, it's topic time.
Speaker 2: Eight hundred five five one five one to join it to the discussion with the breakfast Club.
Speaker 3: Warning everybody, it's DJ Envy Charlamagne the gud.
Speaker 4: We are the breakfast Club.
Speaker 3: If he's just joining us, we're talking about Arizona Republican on the House floor refer to black Americans as coming Eli Crane, Eli Crane, And here's the audio.
Speaker 5: Mister chairman, though that was unbelievably inspiring. My amendment has nothing to do with whether or not colored people or black people or anybody can serve. Okay, that has nothing to do with speak and any of that stuff. What we want to preserve and maintain is the fact that our military does not become.
Speaker 1: You can stop it right there and listen.
Speaker 7: Colored people absolutely can be offensive, but everything is about context. You know, there's absolutely a context. But colored people can be offensive. I don't think that was one of those times. And once again I'm gonna keep saying this. If colored people is now offensive, then we need to have a meeting about the term people. Of color, because that's just saying colored people with better grammar. And we definitely need to have a conversation about the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: It's like the term when you refer to Jewish people, right and you take off that's all that'sh Right. But for years people would just say, hey, the so and so live in that area. It wasn't supposed to mean derogatory. It was how people would say it. Then we realized that they didn't like it, So we don't say that word.
Speaker 4: Now we say Jewish.
Speaker 7: But no, it's still a context of that too, though, because you know, you can say I remember, we had the head of the ADL up here, Jonathan Green Black, and we talked about that and he said, it's all about context because there's like you can say that word shortened in a negative thing. We don't even say the word because we don't.
Speaker 3: We don't necessarily amid trying not to practice bad appen because we don't know.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, I've been trying to stop saying the N word for he is that's a damn line I have.
Speaker 4: I mean, you said any word the other day.
Speaker 1: Because you be acting like one. I try not to say it, but I can't think of no other words.
Speaker 4: See, let's go to the fold lines. Hello, who's this? Hey, hey Shan, good morning. What's your thoughts?
Speaker 8: So I'm not against color, that's because women have different beautiful colored children. But I do think we need to look at the word minority a little bit, just because what's the minorities majority?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 8: While we left the hand, you know, I.
Speaker 7: Mean, that's just the numbers thing. I get what she's saying, but it's just the numbers.
Speaker 3: Minority means is we're lower numbers as opposed to the majority of the people, which is but if.
Speaker 7: You put all the color together, we're the majority.
Speaker 1: Hello, all the colors together with the majority? Key, what's up?
Speaker 4: King? You talk to us?
Speaker 1: Brother?
Speaker 9: What's up? And I wanted to talk about that color thing. So what I noticed so is like I'm rolling with you, remain on this one, because what I notice is every morning you guys play like this thing from the from the wayans brothers or they say we're happy and we're single.
Speaker 7: That word singing singing singing. We're not sing were singing, we're singing.
Speaker 9: Okay, we're singing, But that's what I'm but that's what I'm saying. It's like like if we if we go like you know, take afense to some of these words, and we gotta take it out, like people talking about the nuble a DP, we gotta change that too, and then we got to stop playing that stuff, you know, in the morning and and all of that, and we're gonna be taking offense to it. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: I mean, it's common sense to me, my brother, but you know, common sense ain't common nowadays.
Speaker 1: I'm with you, Hello, who's this?
Speaker 4: Heye? Good wing to talk to us?
Speaker 11: Good morning? Of all I think and these rights, it's the fealing number one number two. So many some people who we perceive don't like us, and it sounds like a label when they say it. When we speak about it, it's act, but when they speak about it, it's a label. Just like Jewish people, you know what I'm saying, But you say Jewish, it's derogatory.
Speaker 7: Yeah, But those organizations, those people also don't have organizations named after their slurs. So if color people is indeed a slur, like we have the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.
Speaker 11: We're describing ourselves.
Speaker 7: So why shouldn't somebody else describe us in that way? Like I'm trying to fact, I'm just no what.
Speaker 11: They say they're labeled, when us, that's a label?
Speaker 1: So what is people of color?
Speaker 10: To us?
Speaker 1: What is people of color?
Speaker 11: People of color? We're describing ourselves.
Speaker 1: Don't you think that's just colored people with better grammar?
Speaker 4: No, because colored people, black people.
Speaker 3: People of color is black, it's brown people, it's Indian people.
Speaker 4: People, color Indian people people.
Speaker 1: But colored people is as well, colored.
Speaker 4: People, color people is described as black.
Speaker 1: No, it's not.
Speaker 3: When you say a colored person, nobody ever think it was a Latino. If you say color person, nobody ever think it was Indian.
Speaker 1: That's y'all for being stupid. Colored people people, let me pull look up colored people.
Speaker 11: You're as well. We do need to have a conversation about changing those.
Speaker 1: The term color the term colored.
Speaker 7: In British usage, the term refers to a person who is wholly or partly of non white descent, that is not just black people, y'all.
Speaker 1: Like, what are we doing here?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 1: Seriously, what are we doing?
Speaker 8: Why?
Speaker 1: Why are we acting so silly here?
Speaker 5: Huh?
Speaker 7: Well, I mean the more those stories, what I said earlier. I'm not saying that colored people is not offensive. Anything can be offensive, right, because everything is about context. So there's absolutely a context where colored people can be offensive. I don't think that guy using it on the floor was one of those times.
Speaker 1: But on another.
Speaker 7: Note, if colored people is offensive, if it is a slur, as y'all are trying to tell me this morning, and we need to have a meeting because we say people of color, and I feel that's just saying colored people with better grammar. And we have the NAACP, which is the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. We need to have a meeting and revise some things, don't you think, Right well, we could discuss especially if especially when y'all keep saying, well it was we created that word back in nineteen oh nine, but over time it seemed to be a bad word, all the more reason we probably should revise some things.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 7: Well, I'm just simply saying, like, what do we were arguing about something that seems very common sense to me?
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, well, let's get to the rumor. Let's talk about big color then.
Speaker 1: BBC it was actually big black, yes, but it's not color.
Speaker 4: But but I changed it.
Speaker 1: The colors that you like, BCC, big color, BCC.
Speaker 4: Okay, we're gonna talk about BCC's when we come back.
Speaker 1: All right, you got very excited about that.
Speaker 4: We'll get to a nexus the Breakfast logan more