Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jerrel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Panya, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: Welcome in What Driving the Great Episode two eighteen. We haven't been on in a week and a half. I've traveled halfway around the world. We've had a ton to do. I got to see diora former What's Right co hosts, perform in a great plague at UC Santa Cruz wearing their gear. Went to Japan, saw some awesome castles. If you listen to my wife tell the story, I was so excited about seeing one of these castles that I almost teared up about it. Maybe we'll get into that later in the show. While I was gone, Lebron James scored his forty thousandth point, and I know it makes me lame to care about it, even though Michael Jordan once one a time got an on court trophy for scoring his thirty thousandth point, even though he was the fourth guy to do it. But more on that in a moment. First, here's what missed the cut, Adam Schefter, further confirming the story we already knew, which is that San Francisco didn't even scout Patrick Malmes even though they didn't have a quarterback, and they did have the number three pick of that draft, Carlos out or number two pick of the draft Carlos Alcarez pdra feel Nadal in Vegas and Jacksonville Jaguars wish a defensive tackle happy birthday, and then they cut him later that day. Demons, how are you? I'm doing?
Speaker 3: Good hand complaint.
Speaker 2: You're dressed for your office job instead of the pod today. Yeah, I don't. I don't know if we're used to seeing you in the in the stafford button down if people are watching on YouTube.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I don't even know if I can wear the short ins of the office. The button on this on the sleeve is broken. I realized that after I get in here this morning.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, you can. You just roll it up, Just roll it up to the album and you'll be totally fine. By the way, speaking of thank you, excited to see you. Speaking of YouTube, I was scrolling through the iTunes podcast numbers and we have plummeted down the ranks because again they like reward new subscriptions. I'm not sure, but but I have not asked you guys to like rate subscriber review in years. We just play at the end of every episode. This video I recorded from my house I think with a ponytail two years. So I'm gonna go ahead and ask today for you to like rate subscribe review on iTunes, Spotify and on YouTube. Please try to juice those numbers as we get going for our NBA playoff. Push demons, go ahead and get us started if you would.
Speaker 4: Yes, Like you said, Lebron just continues to make history. He just scored his forty eight thousand points as forty one thousand points.
Speaker 3: I should say, but is one.
Speaker 4: Of the biggest reasons that you've been the huge Lebron support you've been is because of his consistency.
Speaker 3: Like it still seems like he's got a lot more in the tank.
Speaker 2: To be honest, Well, listen, we know he's the best old player ever, and we know he was the best teenager ever, and these things are not even in dispute. But I yesterday on TV we said that, you know, we didn't want to have a big goat debate about this, and then it turned into a big goat debate, and I got very frustrated with it because, as you guys know, and we did a wh whole anthology series on it. I think there are three guys who have credible arguments for the greatest player of all time, Michael Jordan, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Lebron James. I think if anybody and we should, we should flip the rundown on the left hand side. We're gonna do Lebron stuff first, and then the Russ if you're watching on YouTube. But I think anybody that is going to argue adamantly that any of those three should be dismissed out of hand is being intellectually dishonest. I'm not a Jordan guy. I understand the argument. I personally think that Lebron, I'm sorry that Kareem gets the total short end of the stick. I don't think he's the greatest ever, but he has a hell of a case, and if you expand it past what they did in the NBA, he probably is the best case. But even just for NBA, of the three contenders, nobody has more rings, nobody has more MVPs, nobody has more, does Kaream have nine or ten finals appearances? Lebron might have more finals appearances, but there and up until a year ago, nobody had more points. So I think there's a credible argument for him, and obviously I think there is a lengthy, credible argument for Lebron. What is so frustrating to me is so many of the folks who believe it's Jordan, which is an obviously legitimate position to hold, argue their case in such an illegitimate manner. They argue their case, and in my opinion, such an intellectually dishonest manner, where things that counted for Jordan if you count them for Lebron, they scoff at it. And I'll use the forty thousand, thirty thousand points thing as an example. Michael Jordan got an it was flying around Twitter yesterday, a trophy this big about the size of the Larry O'Brien trophy for getting to thirty thousand points when at the when he got there, Carl Malone was already there, Wilt was already there, Kareem was already there. A stop the game, take the trophy moment for thirty thousand, Lebron gets to forty and people like, oh, or you're not seriously gonna make this part of the goat debate, are you. Well, it's part of it. But the other so Brew on the show yesterday said listen, we don't do goats by longevity. We do goats by peak, And I actually disagree. I think it is a tapestry. I think it is all of the above to a degree. I think that a lot of people would argue Randy Moss had a higher peak than Jerry Rice, but it was close. They're two peaks, and Rice's longevity is so demonstrably better. He's universally regarded as the goat wide receiver. So I think it's all of the above is how we do it. But when we say, okay, let's talk peaks, and this is where the Jordan folks, in my opinion, are dishonest. What is peak. We're talking one season, because there is no single season Michael Jordan ever had better than Lebron James's twenty thirteen season. It doesn't exist. In twenty thirteen, for Lebron James, he was the league MVP, he was the Finals MVP. He had a damn near perfect game six of the Finals down three to two, and then a perfect game seven of the finals thirty seven and twelve and the game winning jump shot over Kawhi Leonard and oh yeah, by the way, during that year they had a twenty seven game winning streak and he was three votes away from winning Defensive Player of the Year. There is fine the Jordans season that matches that you can't people like, Oh but Michael Jordan won MVP and Defensive Player of the Year in the same year he did in a year he did not even make it to the finals, let alone win the championship. So when are we talking Jordan's peak? Are we talking one year? Then Lebron's peak was higher? Are we talking two years? Well, then it's gonna be an argument, because Lebron James in twelve and thirteen, when one he damn near shot sixty percent from the field, won back to back league MVPs, back to back finals MVPs, beat two all time teams in those NBA finals, with seven Hall of Famers on those teams between them. I don't know. Seems pretty good that. Now does that match up to Jordan's two year peak? They're at least equivalent Jordan ninety two to ninety three with a couple of league Well, actually that was only one league MVP now I think of it, because Barkley's won at ninety three, Jordan probably should have two finals MVPs. They're at least close. Three year peak. That goes to Jordan. Lebron never won three MVPs in a row. Jordan did neither. But Lebron never won three titles in a row. Jordan did. Four year peak. Now it tilts back to Lebron. James, Wait, what do you mean, Nick Well? Four years? What four years are we talking about your Oh? Nick, you mean you're holding against Michael Jordan when he didn't play. Yes, not holding against it, I mean, but it is. It is. And this is where I say people are dishonest. People will then say that you are being dishonest if you count years in the order in which they happened on the calendar. They're like, oh, that is crazy. You're gonna count nineteen ninety four. It's like, well, it wasn't mythical, it existed. Well, that's ludicrous to do that five year, four year peak. Though maybe you could argue jordan five year peak. You can't find me Jordan's best five years, and you're going to likely go eighty nine to ninety three. You could go ninety four to ninety eight, but then you have to include the year Shack and Penny beat him in round two, which again, I know you're not allowed to talk about that year. That year didn't happen, but it really did. The games were on TV and everything. You could bet on them, you could watch them. I know there is a whole generation of people that have been tricked into believing it's this weird thing where it's like, you can't mention those two years that Jordan didn't win the title in the middle of the six rings, but they can say he would have won eight in a row if he didn't quit. But one of those years they're saying he would have won the title, he did play and lost to a team that didn't even go win the title. They got swept. But you find me a better five year peak than Lebron James from twelve to sixteen, twenty twelve, NBA Champion League MVP Finals MVP twenty thirteen, twenty seven game winning streak, NBA Or League MVP Finals MVP twenty fourteen, shot fifty eight percent from the field in the finals fifty to forty nine, fifty percent from three and the guy guarding him one Finals MVP. The next year thirty six, thirteen to nine in the NBA Finals with Matthew Delavadova as his second best player on his team and the guy guarding him one Finals MVP, and the next year three to one comeback on a seventy three win team. You find me a better five year run? Find it? I'm excited to see it. But it doesn't exist. So what are we talking? Peak? So the point I am making there is the peak argument Lebron Michael is at least one that can be debated. Define peak. If it's one year, it's Lebron. If it's two year, it's probably a tie. If it's three year, it's Jordan. If it's four year, and you go by actual years on the calendar, it's clearly Lebron. If you go by years, Michael Jordan would count, then it's Jordan. We go back and forth with it. If it's ten years, it's clearly Lebron. But then's probably not peak, except for Lebron's peak really was ten years because he won his first title in twenty twelve and his last title in twenty twenty, so that's a decade stretch. But set that aside. So peak is an argument. Longevity is not extended excellence is not that the gap between Lebron James and Michael Jordan career points is greater than the gap between Michael Jordan and Reggie Miller career points. Lebron is gonna finish probably he's right now fourth. He's probably gonna finish second, at least third in assists something. Jordan's not in the top thirty. On the longevity piece of it, Lebron's gonna finish with double double the all nbas So if one piece of the argument is an argument and the other is not, but then what you decide is those things don't count. And this is where the argument becomes frustrating for me. If someone were to say the twenty eleven finals is disqualifying for Lebron. I disagree with it, but I'll listen to it. But if I say the fact that Michael Jordan played five years of his career without Scottie Pippen and all five years was below five hundred, should that be disqualifying? People just react like you spit at him, like, oh, you're gonna bring up the Wizard's ears. I don't know, guys, was he playing. Was he younger when he started with the Wizards than Lebron is right now? So I don't know. At one point people would say, oh, you're gonna bring up his first few years in the NBA. Well, I don't know, because Michael as a rookie was the same age Lebron was when he was in the NBA Finals carrying Booby Gibson and the seven Calves to those finals at twenty two years old. Oh you're gonna use twenty two year old Jordan the fact he wasn't about five hundred against him. You use the fact that twenty two year old Lebron lost in the NBA finals against him. He's not four and six without dragging that tea there. I just want an honest discussion and if for and if the answer is it's about rings. The whole point of the sport is about championships. Michael has six, Lebron has four. Shut up, I don't want to hear it. Okay, that's fine. Then let's talk about Kareem Abdul Jabbar. Can we let's talk about him? Because how many rings? Does he have? Six? What did he how did he look right at the beginning of his career before he got Magic Johnson? I don't know. Year two, he was the league MVP, he was the scoring champion, was the finals MVP. He was the best player on maybe the best team ever. Pretty good, This is pretty good. What was his longevity? Well, he played twenty one seasons. How good was he at the end? Well, I don't know. In nineteen eighty eight NBA Finals, the game win play of the most important game was drawn up for him, and he drew and he drew the fall and hit the two free throws. So he's pretty good at that age. Three years older than George, two years older than Michael was when he was limped around for the Wizards. So if we want to just, oh, how many points Michael was the greatest scorer ever? Does he have as many points as scream nose about five thousand short. Oh that's odd, Well, Michael was Michael's apex was the highest. Does he have the most MVPs? No, actually, Kaream has six and Kaream won his six in his first ten years. What was that peak? I don't know, pretty high, just kept winning him How long was Kareem's peak? While he won a finals MVP in year two and a finals MVP in year fifteen? And uh welles, how did Kaream deal with the pressures of being in the league. Well, I don't know. He was a black Muslim revolutionary in the nineteen seventies, changed his name, got death threats, and soldiered on for twenty years, didn't take any breaks from the sport, kept playing. So you want to have a real argument, let's have the real argument. If you want to change the argument too, Michael Jordan is the greatest ever, and the way every other basketball player ever will be judged will be how close are they to Jordan? Then that's fine, but just be honest that that's what you're doing, because that is part of the Kobe as great as he was, part of the Kobe legend is not that Kobe was even better than Tim Duncan, which he wasn't. Kobe's an All timer, the very close Duncan was better. It was Kobe is the closest we've ever seen to Jordan, And for some people that means Kobe is the next player. But the goal is to not be Michael Jordan. The goal is to be the best player possible. And the thirty nine year old who's on twenty straight years of twenty five points per game, who's on twenty one straight All Star teams, who's on twenty consecutive All nbas, that guy who we saw in last season against the team that the eventual champs play all forty eight minutes in Game four of the Conference finals, that guy to dismiss it and say, oh, he's a compiler. You're not compiling if you're still great. If Lebron was just like, I'm in your twenty seven averaging eleven a night at him up, is that what's happening. He's the best player on a team that made the conference finals a year ago. So I just so, does forty thousand points matter? I don't know. It used to when nobody thought it was gonna happen. Kareem's record mattered so much more when people thought Michael or Kobe might get it, and then when they didn't, it's like, Eh, what does it? You know, what does it really mean? At once upon a time it meant some. And as far as this idea of will anyone ever catch it? All it would take to get to forget catch Lebron, because he's still adding to it. If someone demands walked into the league today and from the first game of their career averaged thirty five points per game, all they would have to do to get to forty thousand points is play seventy games a year every year, never get hurt, average thirty five a night, and play for sixteen seasons and they'll get there. So good luck. So how did Lebron get to forty thousand? Be the youngest great player ever? Be the oldest great player ever, never get hurt? Be the most consistent offensive force over twenty years the league's ever seen. And while you're doing it, go ahead and become you know, third or fourth all time and assists. But I don't know, man, he wasn't six for six, which by the way, neither was Michael. But of course he was, if you just don't count those other nine years. Matt Ford, our great producer, was worried before the show because I was a little draw withdrawn quiet, and I don't think he knew if I was gonna have They thought it. Maybe I was a little jet lagged coming out of Japan. Didn't know if I was gonna have the juice. I was just trying to psych myself up for what I knew was gonna be, like a twenty minute rant and trying to nail it. And I'm happy with it. I'm happy with it. I don't know how we're so. This is one of the weaknesses of this show's growth on social media is my best stuff goes too long. I'm not great in ninety seconds. I need a good fourteen to eighteen minutes to really get I'm like more of a stew than like a ramen noodle. I need a real slow roast to get going. But once it does, it can it can cook.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, pal, Sorry, So basically, Kaream's the goat.
Speaker 2: You know what, if you want to I'm I'm okay with the argument. I'm okay with the argument. And Kareem, by the way, if the question is best basketball life. Kareem, who won the state title every year, lost once in high school, went to UCLA his freshman year UCLA back then, freshman couldn't play. The varsity team won the national championship, but his freshman team beat them in practice, and then he took over, you know, his sophomore year. Three years, three national championships, two total losses, three tournament MVPs, three Player of the Years, and then walks into the NBA in year two, scores thirty five a night, wins league MVP and finals MVP, and then year twenty is still getting buckets in the NBA finals. You want to argue that guy's the goat, I'm fine with it, but I don't know, man, he has a few finals losses, so those might be disqualifying. Give me a break, all right, what's next?
Speaker 3: Two total losses in college? That's insane.
Speaker 2: The guy, the guy in high school in college won the won the state or national championship seven times and lost three games. Play no, I mean it was bananas.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, all right? So UH went on to a lighter subject or I guess, however you want to look at it.
Speaker 4: The Broncos and Russell Wilson seem to be splitsville this coming Monday. The Russell Wilson trade might go down as one of the worst trades ever. But do you think there's any team out there that can Obviously the trade is gonna leave the Broncos with a bunch of dead cap space. I think it's eighty three million over the course of like four more years or three more.
Speaker 2: Well, no, no, no, they got it. The dead cap they got to eat over too. The contract would have gone another five but the dead cap it's it's forty it's eighty five million over the next two years, so they got to eat that over the next two I think it's thirty nine and forty six. But go ahead, Okay, do.
Speaker 4: You think there's a team out there that can resurrect Russell Wilson's career?
Speaker 2: You see him going, No, not resurrect it. So there's a lot here. So just some kind of nerdy cap machinations of this here. So demanse Russell's contract has these things called offsets. So this is no, this is actually gonna be it's it's useful information that is probably it's gonna be new to you, but it's also new to a lot of the audience. This more so happened in coaching contracts, is sometimes happens some player contracts, but it's pardon me. It allows Russ to do something intriguing here, which is this next season, the Broncos oh Russell Wilson thirty nine million dollars in cash. Okay, yeah, they owe him. They technically, though, owe him thirty nine million dollars minus whatever he gets paid by a team this year. So if he if he retires, they owe him the full thirty nine million. If he signs with a team for ten million bucks, they owe him twenty nine million. So the point is this, Russell Wilson can't make more than thirty nine million dollars, and he's next year, this next season, and he's guaranteed to make exactly thirty nine million dollars. So it is in his best interest if he wants to stick it to the Broncos and help his next team the most, to take the league minimum, which makes him an intrigument. He gets the same amount of money no matter what. There's no double dipping. So he should play. You follow what I'm saying. He should play for the league wherever he wants to play. It should be for the league minimum for a year, which is gonna give him a chance to land somewhat on his feet. So the Giants are possibility because I don't know if you saw, but they said Daniel Jones or I shouldn't say they said report. It was reported that they evidently, you know, all of a sudden, were able to watch Daniel Jones play. It's crazy they couldn't do it before they gave him the four for one sixty. It's unbelievable that, you know what I mean, They just they couldn't quite get around to watching Daniel Jones play. But now that they have, they're like, oh God, damn, who gave him that contract? And then the guy's like you did, sir. He's like, well, I don't want to. I don't So we gotta find out whose fault this is. I mean. So, so he's a possibility. The Vikings maybe because it sounds like Kirk might end up in Atlanta and there's so much dumb stuff going on the Atlanta Falcons. A year ago, Hey, did you guys think about offering them contract? Hell? No, why would we do that? You crazy? That type of money for that risky of a player, not doing it. The Atlanta Falcons right now, thirty six year old Kirk Cousins coming off pop to Achilles, man, we can't wait to break the bank for him. Some of these teams are just so bad at the business. It's just so ridiculous. But set that aside. So the Steelers I would think would be the right fit for us. But the Steelers again, and I like Tomlin. All the reporting out of Pittsburgh is the Steelers saw Kenny Pickett and Mason Rudolph play last year and they're like, nope, we are good to go, boys. So I don't know what's gonna happen. But a lot of these teams are just dumb. There is one intriguing team that nobody seems to be mentioning. But I would If I were running the New England Patriots and I have the third pick of the draft, and I have now heard the Giants are desperate to move on from Daniel Jones and they have the sixth pick of the draft, would I, because at the third pick, you're gonna get the third available quarterback. If I were in New England, would I consider seeing hey Giants to move from six to three? Will you give us next year's number one, and then we can, you know, move back draft either Malik Neighbors or Joe Alt the left tackle or the wide receiver at another draft pick, and then sign Russ for the league minimum. I would consider that. So there are a few possibilities where Russ could end up, but he is not guaranteed to be a starter next year, and this has cost him any shot he had at the Hall of Fame. This has been a mortifying turn of events for him and for the din for Broncos, it was as disastrous de monse a trade and contract situation as we've ever seen. What do you? What are you? What are you laughing about? Hold on, I've got I have to know you. Like you seem like you're freaking out about something. You just grabbed your hair, Like.
Speaker 3: What's going on in the bad spot? It's not a good.
Speaker 2: Oh you didn't like how your hairline looks? Oh, you cover your head. This is another reason subscribe on YouTube. Demante thinks the camera angle is He also is kind of mad at his last haircut. He thinks the barber messed up his hairline, so he's self conscious about it. And then he thought there was a weird angle. The camera came on us so dense grabbed his hand. I was like, what's going on here? I thought it was a reaction to my Russell Wilson take. But for the Denver Broncos to give up two was it three first round picks or two first round picks? I think three first round picks, a second round pick, three players in a trade for Russell Wilson. And then, and this is the part that really hurts. The trade is awful, But as the Niners showed, you giving up three first round picks for Trey Lance, you can overcome the trade piece of it. You can't do what the Broncos and the Browns did the trade. Pluss the contract, that's the one you can't overcome. And the Broncos what's so baffling is Russ had two years left on his deal. When you have a quarterback you love, if they have one year left, you basically have to extend them. But Russ had two years left and hadn't played for him. They're like, nope, no problem, will give him the deal, and now they are finding themselves cutting him before the deal kicks in. It was a five year extension that starts next year he's been cut. They paid him one hundred and twenty four million dollars for these two terrible years, which now means if you are looking at the biggest dead cap hits in NFL history year by year for a player, they are Russell Wilson in twenty twenty five for the Broncos is the number one biggest dead cap bit ever, Russell Wilson in twenty twenty four for the Broncos is the number three biggest dead cap bit ever, and Russell Wilson in twenty twenty two for the Seahawks is the fifth biggest dead cap hit ever. The only ones in between them are Tom Brady, who retired, and Matt Ryan, who they were borrowing money, borrowing money, borring money, trying to win, and then he got old and it was over. That's it. The the the we're splitting up these two. But there's never been a player who had a cap dead cap hit bigger than forty million dollars until Russell Wilson's eighty five million. So it's just an all time disaster for everyone involved, and you can't recover from it. It is franchise crippling for a half decade it's it is the last two years and the next three and then maybe you can tear yourself out of it. But the problem then is, even then, when you're finally clear of the cap and the the the not having a quarterback in all of it, you know, three years from now, demand who the best players on the Broncos would be in a real world, their first round picks from the last three years as they hit their prime. But those guys don't exist because they traded him for Russell Wilson. It's a disaster all because they were so frustrated they hadn't beat the Chiefs in years. Man, it's so great that the Broncos and the Raiders just absolutely lighting their franchises on fire and making these rash win now moves because they're so frustrated they can't beat the Chiefs. Oh, it's so delightful.
Speaker 3: God, Russell Wilson played to have a problem with it free money, man.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, well here's the thing. But MANI makes this point, and he's right. Russell Wilson was rich before this. So the money.
Speaker 4: Are you talking about before we got to the Broncos? Obviously, Yeah, go ahead, yes, yeah, I'm.
Speaker 2: Saying before he got to the Broncos, not like in the like he came from oil money. I'm saying he was when he got to the Broncos. He was already rich of course, so that had become normalized. So the money doesn't help it that much. Man. I know that sounds nobody wants to hear it. But what I and I get it the money there is a level of pain that people that are actually struggling financially that they to deal with on day to day life, the survival things like that. I totally get that. I'm not comparing the two. But what I am saying is it is an if he was. It's someone who was right and he and he cares about it. He wants to be great right and he cares about his legacy. So it's not as if it was like, Hey, here's the deal, fella, who's playing, you know in the Arena Football League. I'm going to give you you make thirty grand a year. I'm going to give you one hundred million dollars. And what you're gonna give me is you're gonna be humiliated for the next two years and people are gonna say you suck in. Your career is over. The guy's like, well, I don't know. I oh, I o eighteen grand on my accord. I've got twenty two hundred credit card debt. I don't know if I'm being able to pay. You know what, I will take the deal. That's not the situation it was. It was somebody who had one hundred million already. Like if someone had said to Russell Wilson, I will give you one hundred million dollars and what I want from you is public humiliation and the end of your NFL career, will you sell me that for one hundred million, he would have said absolutely not. I don't think he'd have done it for a billion, honest to god, No, honestly, you know what I mean. Like, I don't think that, and again you just have to change the number. But like, I'm not in a position where I sound like it. I'm not in a position where I worry a lot about day to day finances, right, I worry about long term finances, you know what I mean? Do I have I set myself up to, you know, put make sure all my my families taking care of all these things. But I'm not like I'm good day to day. So I don't know if they're if someone was like, hey, Nick, what's the number for this? You're going to be the butt of everyone in the sports media businesses jokes for a couple of years, and then you might never work again. Like would I do that? Would I would I sign that deal for fifty dollars? No, I don't think. I don't think there's a number. They're like, no, like the money's not worth it to me, you know what I mean for something like that now. And again I'm I'm coming from a place of if I you know, if I had like he was in a position maybe, but you understand what I mean. So people are always like, oh, but he has the money, he was already rich man. This is awful for us, and.
Speaker 3: That's why he hates it.
Speaker 2: He hates it and and that, and he's a he's not really a sympathetic figure because of kind of how he's carried himself in some of these things.
Speaker 4: But you say, like the way that Russell Wilson's carried himself, he's just corny, Like, I don't I've never seen like, I've never seen Russell Wilson as like a bad guy or like.
Speaker 3: Like I don't see a lot of him as bad guys think.
Speaker 2: He's a bad guy. I think he's pretty clearly a good guy, right, But I also think he is. I don't think it's just that he's corny. I do think there was a level of I want the attention and I want the credit that irritated I think corny is corny. I don't even know. Like, but the while injured before the Monday night football game, I'm gonna do the ghost huddle for the cameras, and I'm gonna do high knees on the plane in between games and then tell the media about it. Those things are those things.
Speaker 3: They fall into the category of corny.
Speaker 2: But yeah, but I bet yeah, Like I think the I don't think. I don't think his teammates in Seattle disliked him because he was corny. I think they disliked him because I think they thought he was phony. I think corny and phony are two different things, you know what I mean. And so there was a point where he became an easy target. But now it's like, geez, that was a quick that was one of the quicker falls for an athlete without an off the field scandal or a major injury. Right, it was a like you went from awesome to okay, just still pretty good to oh my god, they're giving you eighty five million to go away? All right, what's next?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: They were all right?
Speaker 4: So my Celtics. They smoked the Warriors by fifty two points this weekend. Man, yeah, so the first team to win three games by fifty plus points in one season. Ever, they're obviously running away with the East and now they're minus one zero five to win the conference. So should I get excited for them to win the finals? Do you think this is or do you think this is a setup? I think that I think there's something that you said about I think I wasn't really gonna talk about the Celtics.
Speaker 3: I was actually gonna talk about the Bucks. But I think there's something to.
Speaker 4: Say with how, like how Drew Holliday is now on the Celtics. Their defense probably the best, and like the Bucks obviously have their struggles.
Speaker 3: And I saw Jiannis come out and say.
Speaker 4: That that he's really happy with the move that they made with trading Drew Holliday for Damian Lillard. He's expressed that he was sad about, you know, making the trade, and he shedded tears with Drew Holliday and he's won a championship with him, but you know that Damian Lillard can come in there and get them. But it's like, so I feel like it's directly correlated with like the defense and like the Milwaukee They don't they don't necessarily have struggles, but I think that Milwaukee is kind of like imploding, Like they fired their coach.
Speaker 3: It's just all after what.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's well, yeah, it certainly hasn't been as smooth as they thought. And then Yanna's last night, all of a sudden, he doesn't play in the game because his achilles acts up. So that's terrifying for them. I actually still believe in Milwaukee. Uh, but what the I the when Milwaukee trades Drew for Dame. I don't think they do it anticipating that Drew will then end up on Boston. Like that was a piece of this that prop Milwaukee did not anticipate been thinking of. Let's all say about Boston, because Boston right now is the massive favorite to win the Tire. They're like plus two ten and the Denver is second best at plus four fifty. Boston is the massive favorite. Boston has the best five man starting lineup in basketball by a mile. Right now, they're in a weird spot because against the other best teams, I think most of the other best best teams have a best player better than Tatum. But when you go Tatum Brown, White, Drew Chris STAPs, that's starting five is unbelievable, which is why their point differential is the fifth best ever they are. They have the best record in the NBA by like seven games, so they are absolutely legit, which demands is why they are are now in a spot where if they don't win the title, it is a big time failure. It's rare you truly get before you've won a title where you're in a spot of title or bust. But that is the spot they find themselves in. And if they don't make the finals, they'll make a massive change this offseason. Yeah, they'll have to shake the snow globe because it can't get better in the regular season than it is right now.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, Yeah, I think that. I think that. I don't think there's anybody that's going to be able to hang with the Celtics when it comes to the finals. I think if anybody's gonna do, it's gonna be the Nuggets, but I don't think I think any other team. I'm not gonna say the Celts are gonna watch them, but I feel very comfortable against any other team that includes the Warriors.
Speaker 2: But oh well, yeah, well the Warriors won't be there. I mean, the Warriors had had their number. I understand that prior to fifty two point game. But the Warriors what I mean, The Warriors will be very fortunate to make the playoffs this season, much less so they don't have to worry about the Warriors team. They have to worry about the team they have to worry about every year. The Miami Heat. Oh, I, Milwaukee's an interesting one. But the Miami Heat. I understand nobody. Everybody dismisses the Miami Heat until the playoffs roll around and then they're like, how they do it again? And the answer is they have the best coach in the league, Jimmy Butler, is one of the best playoff performers in the league, and they understand how to win. And so the Heat could be a real problem and Milwaukee. We'll talk more about Milwaukee on a later podcast or maybe later in the show. Yannis is having a sneaky and now again he tweaked his achilles before the game last night. But Yannis might be having one of the quietest great seasons ever. So Jannis is thirty one a night, point three off his career high, eleven rebounds, six point three assists, which is his career high. And this is the number where you're like, wait, what on sixty two percent from the field. Sixty two percent. Giannis has been a super high efficiency player forever. He's never been above fifty seven, and fifty seven is a crazy number. He's at sixty two percent. So Milwaukee, but the problem is people don't trust Doc and you know, Dame hasn't played in the playoffs in a couple of years. But I think the Miami is the team that should scare Boston. All right, quick break, come back, do our second segment, What's Right? All right, welcome back in What's Right with Nick? Right, that was a nice, tidy, forty minute a block demanse. So we're gonna go fast here through the bees. Uh there were I also censored some of our producers questions. Here's the thing. I'm just gonna be honest with you guys. I make decisions for this podcast that are I don't want to say they're bad for the podcast, but I they here. Here's the thing, there are people who are more successful than me in this space, and they all seem to have decided that talking a lot about deeply, say, intimate details of their life is a good strategy. I obviously am not gonna do that for a number of reasons, not the least of which is I do it with my kids, so it would probably not be the place for it. But the other thing that really moves the needle is talking on other media members like oh, this beef here and that whatever, and like that clearly does numbers man like people enjoy it. I don't know why, but people enjoy the kind of you know Internet, yeah, that that type of stuff of all the places within the sports media space. And I'm just not going to use this platform for that, at least not at this point.
Speaker 3: It seems about anything else.
Speaker 4: If you want to expand our horizons on what we talk about, I'm totally down for it.
Speaker 2: I know you are, and no, I know you are, and I appreciate that. I just I think it's I don't want to say it's tacky because a lot of the people, again, people who are more successful than me. Whatever it works for them, it's just not what here's the It's not what I want to do. And I actually think it would put my TV colleagues in a weird spot. Well you know what I mean, like and so I don't. I don't want to do it. So uh now that is, of course, with the exception of any chance I have to talk about, you know, my rival who I will vanquish, Pablo Tory. Of course I will, but I mean will he will go down and he knows he will. But aside from that, I'm just not gonna do it like the and you know, but what I will say, Yeah, I'm just not gonna do it. It's just not a need. And I there was a point in my career when I was doing local radio when I was really into like man Bleep that guy and those guys that I had beef with back then. I still have beef with I still to this day. If I get a chance to take a shot at them, I will. I'm still angry about it, like I still carry it with me. Uh, but I just don't want to be that guy. And again, maybe this will be used against me in the future if I if I do it, I'm just not it's and I don't think it feels to me. And again, I might be totally wrong, because this podcast is what I would call moderately successful. It's not like a massive smash hit in the YouTube space. It does well. Uh, but I so maybe I'm just wrong. Maybe this is but it feels like empty calories, and it feels like the type of thing that is not long term sustainable, and the only way it is is to either up the outrageous of your anecdotes or to just always be fighting with people. And like, I'm just not I don't know. Maybe I will be at some point, but right now, I'm just not into it. And I think it's And I also think this is one of the reasons it's good that I host this with you, and when it's not you with the Aura, I also think it would be a truly terrible example if I was like with you, a split screen with you, if I was just like roasting someone in the middle, it's like this guy is a cloud and you're just sitting there like, Okay, I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I'm just not gonna do it. So instead we're gonna play a game we came up with called this or that. So Demansa explained the game to the audience.
Speaker 4: All right, so it's just a different version of this or that. So I'm gonna tell you a story, and you're gonna pick. We obviously missed a bunch of stories because we're off for a week and a half. Yes, so I'm gonna give you two different stories and you kind of pick which one you want to go in on. So the first one we got an NFC story, So Jason Kelsey announcing his retirement or Dak's new haircut.
Speaker 2: Okay, Dax's new haircut is again, this is an example what I'm talking about. I guarantee if I did ninety seconds right now on Dak's haircut, it would do numbers on Twitter. It would do numbers. But I'm not gonna do it. The Jason Kelcey thing, I watched the whole thing. Here is what I find so unique about Jason Kelcey. Okay, Jason Kelsey for well, there's a number of things. I'll try to go through them quickly. One is the relationship he and Travis have is really special and I think it's beautiful, and I've seen people make this point and it they're right, And I understand this is a mockable thing for me to say, but I agree with them. However, Jason and Travis were brought up by their parents to just do while being alpha athletes who on the football field, both of them, at various times, are known for losing their minds. Travis used to have a big well, I shouldn't say you used to. I mean Travis's botty bumped Andy Reid in the Super Bowl, you know, in a few weeks ago. Jason. There is a great clip of Jason just screaming like a maniac in somebody's face, like after the play. These guys on the field are annals, and off the field are it's sorry to sound corny, but as open and in touch with their emotions as any two men I've ever come across. And I find it admirable. They are not embarrassed about it, they are not shy about it. They will publicly cry and publicly express how much they love the people who matter to them without a thought in the world about it. And that's a testament to how they were raised in who they are as people. And I thought that Jason's speech yesterday was really beautiful from a football standpoint. Here is what I find so unique about Jason Kelsey. Jason Kelsey was a sixth round pick demanse who had had some early career success, but he came into the league in twenty eleven. He made a couple Pro Bowls, but as he would tell it in twenty sixteen, was on the fringe of you know, being traded or the Eagles getting rid of him. He was struggling so badly. And so he's a sixth round draft pick who threw the first six years of his career, has middling success despite making a couple of Pro Bowls, and then over the final seven years of his career his first team All Pro six of the seven years and is the best offensive player on two Super Bowl teams. So it's not like he was this first round guy. That was. He was a you know, a guy who changed positions at Cincinnati and college, was a late round pick, and then, at like twenty seven years old, No, that's not right, at damn near thirty years old, turned himself into a guy who will go down as one of the greatest centers ever. It's a very unique.
Speaker 4: Career at that point.
Speaker 2: Yes, at the end. It's even crazier when it's not like, oh, this guy was a five star kid out of high school, first round pick who just you know, never locked process, never matured. Yeah, and then it No, it was that he was a fringe undersized guy throughout his whole career kind of played like it and then damn near at thirty unlocked the whole new level. And it's really a really remarkable story. And now he's gonna be a Hall of Famer one day. Yeah, he's gonna be And he's gonna be a Hall of Famer one day. So it's great, all right.
Speaker 4: Next, maybe he doesn't retire if the NFL bans the Toush push after this last year. But uh, pick an NFC East story. Jason wait, hold on, sorry, college story Kaitlin Clark's Kaitlyn Clark's scoring record or court storm or court storming takes after a duke player was injured.
Speaker 3: That was okay, that was weird.
Speaker 2: I guess here's the thing. I gotta do both of these. I'm gonna not do this or that. I'm gonna do both quickly. Here's there in court storming, we need to be a little more judicious about how often courts are stormed that way. It stays a little special, and then everyone needs to stop acting like they're wildly dangerous. Shut up, just shut up the people. I storm to court in college. It's one of my favorite moments of my entire life. It is awesome to be able to do it. It's part of college sports. And if somebody occasionally is gonna twist an ankle, they could have happened on the inbounce play. Stop it. Just stop it. And people were like, oh my god, there is a student you know, in a in a college football game tour their acl man. There you got half a dozen students of these games that get alcohol poisoning. Like life can be dangerous. That's not banned. Court storming, stop it now. Should should just storm the court? If you're the number nine team in the nation beating the number eight team, no, Should you storm the court? If you the Vegas favorite in the game. No. But if you're a if it's a big time upset or if you beat Duke, it's fine, okay. But the bigger story is Caitlyn Clark Demon SI. Caitlyn Clark's game on the ratings just came in. Caitlyn Clark's game on Sunday did a bigger number than Warrior Celtics did three and a half million. Warrior Celtics had three million. We're as Celtics on ABC three and a half million for a women's college basketball game. Caitlyn Clark is a superstar, not a female superstar. She is a superstar. She moves the needle and the WNBA has been looking for someone who moves the needle and you have her, plus Angel coming in. Plus people care about Juju, the girl from USC. You should go Demons to a USC women's game. You're in southern California. Juju Watkins is the next great player. Yeah, I mean she's already a great player. She's a freshman. So I think women's women's college basketball is having a moment, and I ain't Caitlin Clark's gonna extend that moment. I think it's really dope. And then like the w n b A like.
Speaker 3: Expans I think.
Speaker 2: People, yes, exactly, will people start because I think the w n b A they have two great teams. They have the Liberty in the Aces and they played in the finals last year. They both have you know, multiple m VP caliber players. But it hasn't garnered quite the buzz yet. But if you you already have a pretty high level of basketball and then you add in a super starring Caitlin Clark to the league, could be pretty dope. Could be pretty dope. All right.
Speaker 4: Next, pick a tall guy to discuss Check going for the number one seed or Wimby going for Defensive Player of the Year.
Speaker 2: Wimby, I mean, listen right now. The guys looking pretty great right now. And you know, my skepticism is well known on this show. Right now, it's looking like he's gonna prove me wrong. But he's been really special and the Spurs are understandably being cautious with him. Check. The reason I'm not gonna say Check going for the one seed is because it's SGA going for the one seed. Now, the Lakers did beat him last night, and they have lost five of six ever since SGA said he hasked something for Lebron. So keep that in mind because that could be a first round matchup, potentially a one versus eight or two versus seven, but the story would be Wimby. All right.
Speaker 4: Next, all right, pick a quarterback to debate the to pick a quarterback debate to weigh in on Justin Field's next team, or Jaden Daniels versus Drake May at number two.
Speaker 2: All way in on Justin Field's next team, which is I don't understand, if the reports are accurate, why Atlanta would rather spend forty plus million on Cousins rather than spending a second round pick on getting to look at Justin Fields. Cousins is better than Fields, but Cousins is thirty six coming off in Achilles Fields with those weapons on turf indoors. If he can unlock the best version of himself, you'd have the quarterback taken care of for the next ten years. So I'd rather do that than a best case scenario, you have the quarterback taking care of for the next three years, when you're not a team that in those three years is probably gonna be able to compete for a championship. So I think Atlanta's making a mistake there. But because of that, I don't know where Justin's gonna go because Pittsburgh reportedly is not interested in him. There's a lot of teams that I think should consider it, but doesn't look like they're going to all right next.
Speaker 4: Which franchise tag merits discussion Jerius Snead or T Higgins.
Speaker 2: Well, I just think it's interesting that they're both getting franchise tag. But it seems like the Chiefs are the team willing to take the mature long term view, which is, listen, if we can't come to a long term agreement with him, we need to trade him rather than keep him for just one more year and then lose him for nothing and the bank. Despite the fact the Chiefs have won three of the last five Super Bowls and would if there was ever a team that would have a reason to be like, screw that. We're going for a three p forget the future. We'll win right now. And the Bengals, on the other end, have won nothing. Who are about to pay Chase? I shouldn't say they want nothing. They went to a Super Bowl, they won. The AFC have to pay Chase top of the market. Just pay Burrow top of the market. They could get a The Chiefs are gonna probably trade sneed for a second. The Bengals could get a first for Higgins, and it looks like they're not gonna do it, which is wild to me. All Right, we answer a few listener questions. Next, what's right all right, welcome back in What's right with Nick Right demons. Let's let's do Ryan Koslov's question to start off, because I think it's an interesting one.
Speaker 4: Ryan Koslov asked, with Jason's retirement, are the Kelsey brothers the best football brothers ever? Over Manning brothers or others?
Speaker 2: Okay, so here are the ones that come to mind. Obviously, Peyton and Eli are high on the list. TJ and JJ Watt Merritt strong consideration, both defensive player of the your caliber, guys, JJ is gonna be a first ballot Hall of Fame er. TJ's building a first ballot Hall of Fame caliber career. Right, You've got Bruce and Clay Matthews from a while ago, but you know, two of the best offensive lineman ever and the incredible longevity for both of them. And then Sterling and Shannon. Sterling was an all time player who had his career cut short by a neck injury. Shannon's one of the five best tight ends of all time. So those are the ones that are on the list. Jason and Travis I have a strong argument because Travis is the goat tight end and Jason is the best center of the last thirty years. Maybe so I JJ and TJ have a strong case. Sterling and Shannon would have if Sterling had just played longer. The Matthews brothers are up there. I just don't think Eli was that great. I know he won the two Super Bowls, but I just don't think he was that great.
Speaker 3: Are you Jones brothers pretty good?
Speaker 2: The Jones brothers, who are you talking about?
Speaker 3: Triven like Chandler Jones and.
Speaker 2: Oh but the Chandler Jones. Sorry, I just didn't know what you're talking about, so Arthur Jones.
Speaker 3: Oh, the other one is a boxer like UFC fighters.
Speaker 2: M M, a guy John Bones. Yes, I mean so that's a different story because that guy is one of the maybe the best UFC fighter ever. Chandler was a great NFL player and then unfortunately dealing with some things. Yes, yeah, those guys to me are not there, like because the Boat the brothers are not as good as the Watts, like you know what I mean, They're they they're both really good, but they're not as good as the Watts. And there's more brothers than you think because the Diggs is Stefan and Trayvon, the Saint Brown's Equanimius who isn't that good but a man ra who's awesome. There's more. Uh yeah, he played for the Packers for a while. I forget who he's with right now. Eimas st Brown, But the the Kelsey's are up there. Man obviously Ronde and Tiki, but I think I don't think Tiki was that great. Tiki was really good, but not all time, and Ronde just got into the hall. I think or it was a close call. All right, what's next topic?
Speaker 3: Veyron ass Luca the Josh Allen of the NBA.
Speaker 2: Oh no, there's to me, they're not actually similar at all, because Luca was awesome immediately. Josh was had a really rough first couple of years, then turned into somebody who was great. Luca was, you know, winning MVPs of the league at sixteen years old, So you know, they're very different. If the question is like guys who haven't quite got over the hump, I understand that, like super talents, I get that part of it. But those Luca or Jason.
Speaker 4: Josh Allen, maybe Jason Tatum postseason success, getting those moments.
Speaker 3: Game seven with Miami, I don't I don't.
Speaker 2: Know if there's a right I don't know that there's a a Josh Allen in the NBA. I'd have to think about that longer. All right, let's ask one more from Chris Gerard uh Nick.
Speaker 4: Are you still one convinced about Caleb after all the stories they came out lately or do you have doubts like most?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't. The stories are all nonsense to me. What he cried with his mom, he paints his nails, I don't care. I watched the guy play football. He's awesome, And I forget who may go ahead to Monsey.
Speaker 4: I think it's gonna be I think after the first year. Obviously CJ. Stroud's at the bar kind of high, but he didn't have nearly as much hype as Caleb Williams. And I don't think that Caleb Williams is gonna go and have a better first year than c J.
Speaker 3: Stroud.
Speaker 4: I honestly think that c J. Stroud probably end up having a better career than Caleb Williams. But it's obviously Caleb Williams hasn't made it to the NFL.
Speaker 2: Well, So listen, CJ just had Maybe CJ just had maybe the best rookie season ever. What I will say that is working in Caleb's favor is he's He's going to such an atypical team to have the number one pick. The Bears won seven games last year. They have the number one pick because the Panthers were terrible. Most number one picks are going to terrible teams. The Bears were bad, but they weren't. They were seven and ten with bad quarterback play. They were five and three over the last eight games. The defense got way better once they got Montese Sweat. They have their right tackle, they have a wide receiver, they have a ton of cap space, and they're gonna drop Caleb in there. So I think the Bears are gonna be good, and I think Caleb's gonna be excellent. Is Caleb a different type of cat? Guys? This is he's the our first college football like, he's the first guy. Well, no, not Lebron. I'm not putting that on him, but he So we've had a few guys who were considered consensus number one picks, you know, a couple of years before they came out. He's the first one in the nil era. So the dude made ten million dollars last year. He lived in a luxury condo, in LA he so does he carry himself differently than most college quarterbacks were used to. Yes, because he's already super rich and super famous. So that can rub people the wrong way, I get it. The flip side to that is he's less likely to melt because all of a sudden he's super rich or to like the the NFL money and fame and attention is less likely to impact him because he already dealt with it. And so I just think the guy is a superstar, and I think the Bears would be utterly insane to do anything other than to send his name in right now, all right, great job, Demon's a great show everyone. I gotta get to work. Gonna go on with Coline Oh three o'clock or four o'clock today, NBA Season now on Tuesdays in place of Mahomes Mountain, King of the Hill, our NBA Pyramid, and tomorrow NBA Tiers. The Committee comes back with NBA Tiers, non NFL edition, So that'll be on First things first tomorrow, Like rate, subscribe, review to the show on YouTube, on iTunes, do all those things in fact, and if you listen to us on the podcast, I want to test something I don't know if I'm suppoed to say this or not. Maybe this will get us delisted. I'm not sure. Unsubscribing and resubscribe. I'm just curious what that'll do on iTunes and stuff. Unsubscribe, resubscribe, try that. I just want to know. I just want to see how real these rankings actually are. And if you watch us on YouTube, make sure you're subscribing. All right, see you guys on Thursday. We'll try. Hey, it's Nick right, thank you so much for watching. Please do us a favor click subscribe. It helps my ego and Demonsey's got a financial bonus writing on a number of YouTube subscribers, so help him out. And also click the bell. I don't know what the bell does, but they tell me to tell you to click the bell. And your audio listeners, people that have commutes, drives, whatever it is, subscribe to the podcast as well. Wherever you get the podcast, same show, just you know, just in your ears instead of through your eyes. Of that check it out. Appreciate Jo