Speaker 1: Crime Stories with Nancy Grace Bombshell tonight and the investigation of the death of a young man, Nolan Wells' death threats are flying. One actually says there's gonna be blood, so much blood. Another death threat says don't go outside. How can anybody do their jobs when they're getting death threats. Not only that, we understand this case is headed to eight grand jury. We also learned tonight that the state's autopsy is complete, but is being kept secret. Isn't an autopsy a public document? Why is it being kept hidden from us the public? What is in that autopsy? The first autopsy of Nolan Wells. Good evening, I'm Nancy Grace. This is Crime Stories. I want to thank you being with us.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: The young lady Katie that he was hanging out with, I saw a text message from her alluding to the fact that she never saw him get on that boat at all. They could have been saying don't die or is it dead referring to the bill as pump. Somebody would have seen something if there was a dramatic commotion like this occurring on that boat.
Speaker 1: I hope no one wills died by accident. I'm not shutting down our crime stories investigation until I know.
Speaker 4: O god, hey, we're the West tip of born at our Billage soft work and we're going, we're thinking, can you all please? Can we have I've never should jo, what'd you say?
Speaker 1: You know? If that sound is real? There's no getting away from that and all this business about there's no connection. Well, I listened to a good forty seconds of Ctoe Sea second Word tow on Hold, listen to their music. There is plenty good connection. But before I can even get to the death threats of blood, so much blood, blood everywhere, and don't step outside, and more, before I can even get to the grand jury, before I can get to the autopsy that's being kept hidden from us. I want you to meet someone very important critical to this investigation. Her name, Janetta Brantley, MSS Brantley is the audio engineer who enhanced the nine one one call, the STO call in the Nolan Wells case. So everybody claiming some ding dong on YouTube did it, or somebody on Insta TikTok did it, No, she did it. I've spoken to her, I've read her statement. I want you to judge her credibility. Credibility is normally the sole province of a jury, and tonight you serve in that function, Miss Brantley. I'm sure that you're getting all sorts of abuse, threats and so forth. It's a cacophony that seemingly won't cease. That said, thank you for being with us tonight. Explain to me where you got the audio, how you got the audio, and what if anything you did to enhance the audio.
Speaker 5: First and foremost, I basically downloaded it off of YouTube from WLOX News's YouTube site. And when I downloaded it, I ripped it off of YouTube. That's the terminology that we use when we take something off of YouTube. But when I ripped it off of YouTube and I pulled it in.
Speaker 1: Pause place, objection, Miss Brandley, Isn't it true? Said the audio you got was taken directly by XLO from m d m R. Correct, the Mississippi Department of Marine Resources. Isn't that true?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, please continue, miss Brandley.
Speaker 5: So when I downloaded it from YouTube, I pulled it into my dog, which is logic pro x that's my dog choice.
Speaker 7: And when I first listened to.
Speaker 5: It, I realized that it was like a dual mono recording, which most.
Speaker 7: What is it, like most.
Speaker 5: Phone services or operators used utilize when they're recording conversations, And so it was already split between the caller, the dispatch and the callers in the in the background. And so that's what made it easy for me to isolate it without having to do much to it. So that isolation, when I separated the left channel from the right channel, that just made me be able to really focus on everything that.
Speaker 7: Was on the call. And what I was hearing was like.
Speaker 5: Like I couldn't I honestly could not believe what I was hearing.
Speaker 1: Mischianetta Branley. Isn't it true? This is the same audio that was released by the Mississippi Department of Marine Resources.
Speaker 7: Yes, that is absolutely correct.
Speaker 1: Let's listen to it one more time. Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Hey, we're at the west tip of Born and uh, our village stops work and we're going we're thinking, can you all please come? We have a membership?
Speaker 1: Doesn't stop?
Speaker 7: What did you say?
Speaker 4: It's coming up? It's it's we're just thinking.
Speaker 1: I don't know, like we're going down there, I don't know.
Speaker 8: The phone number.
Speaker 6: It's it's either I think it's try that.
Speaker 4: I know we have a membership, like guaranteed, I don't have the tag on here.
Speaker 6: You got ripped off?
Speaker 9: What I.
Speaker 6: No, we do not any of that.
Speaker 4: Long drop got to jump in and pull the plug while you're going, they gotta here.
Speaker 7: Got hello?
Speaker 4: Okay, what's going on?
Speaker 1: What's up?
Speaker 4: We're at the west tip of Born and uh are dose st working.
Speaker 6: We're going, We're thinking, can you all please? Can we have a membership?
Speaker 7: A Hey, we're at the west tip of.
Speaker 9: Born and uh our dog sat working.
Speaker 7: We're going, We're thinking, can you'll please can we have.
Speaker 6: I ever should.
Speaker 1: Back to Janetta Brantley joining us tonight, and she shows herself in that video showing what she is doing. What does adding eq mean? Miss Brandley?
Speaker 5: Adding eq is basically selecting a certain frequency of the actual sound and either deleting or removing a certain noise something that's problematic to the ear, deleting that or boosting that.
Speaker 7: That's literally all equing is.
Speaker 1: What was your process, Janetta? Because I was sitting researching. It was early, early, early in the morning, like five point forty five am several days ago, and I was researching the Nolan Whales case. And I saw the transcript as it was being played, and my husband was also up. He said, what's wrong. I'm like, if this is real, this changes everything. It changes everything, because up until that point, it seemed as if no one's death could very well have been an accident. If this is real, it changes everything. It's seismic. What was your reaction when you heard these words, Janetta Brantley.
Speaker 7: I think at my core, I was in disbelief.
Speaker 5: I wasn't cleaning it or enhancing it to specifically look for or identify a crime, or even point the fingers at anybody.
Speaker 7: I believe I wanted it to be an accident. I think a lot of us wanted it to be an accident.
Speaker 5: So when I heard those things, When I heard damn it Bart, that name stood out to me because I.
Speaker 7: Hadn't even heard that name before.
Speaker 5: As I was listening to certain things that stood out to me, I was at I was in disbelief because again, I'm just an audio engineer. I'm not an investigator, detective, or anything like that. So when I heard a name that I wasn't familiar with, it stood out to me, and that alone made me want to hear what was immediately said after dammit Bart. And so that's why in that process where damit Bart came in loud and clear to me, I decided to go over to the next part to hear what the rest of that statement was, which is where you saw me actually create a loop over.
Speaker 7: That part, split that part and.
Speaker 5: Then add a gain, which the gain is boosting the volume overall. And that's pretty much what you saw me do in that actual video. And so to hear you know, damnit Bart, Nolan's really dead now that I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 7: I could not believe it.
Speaker 1: My reaction to Janetta because when I first heard it, I thought, this, this has got to be a doctor. This can't be real crime stories with Nancy Grace straight out to a veteran trial lawyer, Franz Borcoart, a veteran trial lawyer joining us out of the Baton Rouge jurisdiction at Borghart's law firm. Franz, take off your defense hat just one moment. I have introduced wire taps many times at trials, which very hard to get, by the way, and I've never had one that I believed was doctored at the time because they were taken by law enforcement. This is from a completely independent source with no dog in the fight, no skin in the game. It's from dispatch at Seto, And if this is real, this blows the case wide up. Now you saw Janetta Brantley, You've heard her. I have no reason to disbelieve anything she's saying.
Speaker 9: So if I'm prosecuting this, I need I'm worried that I need a witness in twenty twenty six to exclude the possibility that it's either AI generated or doctor just like you suggested. And I think that she's very credible, but I think we need to go one step further. The other concern I have, Nancy, is if the independent autopsy is showing inconclusive death results, now I really want to see the other autopsy to see is there trauma to the body? Is there something that happened. These are the concerns I would have as a prosecutor. But we've now opened the doors to these guys may in fact have committed obstruction of justice.
Speaker 1: Hold on, hold on, you're put in the cart before the horse. Before we talk about obstructions such as allegedly lying or covering something up, you've already mentioned two distinct lines of inquiry one is that the audio that Janetta Brantley enhanced innocently I believe had been already AI or doctored. Okay, let's follow that through to its logical conclusion. You just throw that out there like a stink bomb at the circle. You know what a circle meeting is? Right in the United Methodist Church, all the ladies have circle meetings. Okay. To suggest this was doctored before Janetta got it means it had to have been doctored or AI created by who, the Mississippi Department of Marine Resources. No, no, no, don't just go h. That doesn't work in court workards. You can't just throw oh, that's like the Sade defense. Some other dude did it. What dude, what are you talking about? So you're saying AI doctored by who? If it's not Janetta, then who? She got it the same sound that was released by the Mississippi Department of Marine Resources. What you think they doctored it?
Speaker 9: There is nothing normal about this case.
Speaker 1: And if if that's the same, I asked you, I'm asking you to explain your premise, and you're not doing it.
Speaker 9: I said, if I were a prosecutor, I would want to be able to establish with expert testimony that what we are listening to is real. And I would want a witness because I'm telling you, with this case, with as viral as it's been, I'm not disagreeing that it's real. I'm saying I would want to be able to bolster that very credible woman's testimony. And she is very credible. I have no doubt that what we're listening to and what she did is credible. The issue is, I don't know.
Speaker 1: If she can go there, they come from the sky, got it, got it, got it, got it. She cannot testify as to whether MDMR had enhanced it or doctored it before it was released. But see the problem is you would have to ask someone to believe a clerk or an official at the Mississippi Department Marine Resources doctor this before they released it to the extent that nobody could understand it until they enhanced it. That's the hell of a doctor job. Okay, so you did that, then you got into the medical examiner findings. Okay, what was your theory on that?
Speaker 9: Very quickly, very quickly. If he's dead on the boat, how did he die? It should be conclusive.
Speaker 1: It should be joining us right now. Joseph Scott Morgan, renowned death investigator, professor forensics Jacksonville State University with a premier criminal pro department and building. Author of Blood Beneath My Feet, star of a hit series Body Bags with Joseph Scott Morgan, and it goes on significant over ten thousand death scenes under his belt. Joe Scott follow up, I'm not arguing in borgharts. Let's learn if we can from what he's saying. Jump.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So whatever has been the causal factors here has got to marry up with what they were seeing at the scene, and perhaps the audio does fall into this, you know, these statements, and I think that probably from a medical legal perspective, that is, the corner and the medical examiner are going to want to be able to fully appreciate what is being said here. From a timeline this is absence the police's investigation. They're going to try to rule in or rule out what they're seeing presenting on Nolan's remains when they finally did receive them at the State Medical Examiner's office and that examination began, and this is going to be critical and key, you know, because the causal effects here are going to be critical. You know, we go back to these changes that the second autopes you referred to on the back of the head. Now, the doctor was not able to at that point in time. Even though he did do a thorough what's referred to as a layered dissection here, he could not establish the causal effects here because the injury or the insult that you see there, this presentation is compromised by decomposition. So what did the state medical examiner see? My problem is here, Nancy, how was the body treated before or after the first autopsy? And the body is transported up to d C. I have questions about this because they're talking about to the degree with which the body was decomposed. The doctor up in d C is seeing significant decomposition. We don't know what they saw in Mississippi, but I do know that you're only talking about out what I'm ballparking here. Please give me some grace. Maybe forty eight hours tops before the medical legal authorities have seen the body. So how far degraded is the body to compromising this? And this evidence is going to have to be borne out, not just not just with the physical findings that you see with the unaided eye, but also whatever's going on, tox collogial I want.
Speaker 1: You to take a careful look at this video we have obtained. Let's see it. Look how tightly everyone is packed in. There were hundreds of people out on Horn Island on July the fourth. What nobody saw? What happened to Nolan Wells? They all just left with him standing there stranded, waving his arms like Gilligan that that did not happen. Now that you're seeing this, what is an innocent explanation? I'm trying to figure that out. Joining me and I'll circle back to you, Joe Scott, because I've got a lot of questions regarding the way he could have died innocently and been left behind, and that sound being true, the sound that Janetta Brantley enhanced. Is there any innocent explanation? Is there a way? As my favorite judge often said, Luther Alberson, it is your duty to make all witnesses speak the truth, and if pen perjury to no one, is there a way that can be done? I don't know that it can. It seems to me that someone is lying. But who joining me now? Teslin Figaro, social justice political commentator, host of The Teslin figure O podcast, miss Udo, thank you for being with us. I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, that's what the family is saying. They don't believe he died by accident. That's the point. That's the reason why Nolan Wells mom is saying, I don't believe this.
Speaker 7: I don't believe he died by accident.
Speaker 2: Before we had the audio, the audio simply confirms that there are additional questions that needs to be asked. It wasn't just one thing they said in the audio. They said Nolan repeatedly. In the audio, they said, check his chest. In the audio, they said.
Speaker 7: Is he dead? In the audio?
Speaker 2: And also notice this, Nancy, did you notice that the operator also said, is anybody breathing?
Speaker 7: Who says that? What operator says? Who all is breathing on the boat? So is this all the audio? Nancy? Is there more audio? That's my question.
Speaker 1: I want to look, specifically, Tazlin at what was said. At one point, we hear we think you killed him. He's already dead. Already dead? Is he dead? Yeah?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 1: One, OMG, wake up. And as Janetta stated, then she hears a completely different name Bart. Now we also hear and I'm very curious the phrase no no Tuslin figure o. Was that a nickname of Nolan Wells.
Speaker 2: I could not confirm if that's a nickname of his or not. But what I do know is we heard Nolan. What I do know is we heard check his chest. What I do know is that we said, is he dead? What we do know is we heard screams. There's folks at there suggested that perhaps they were talking to a seagull or perhaps talking to somewhat random bird that was flying around this called no No. There were folks out there to suggesting, well, maybe they were talking about the boat cad.
Speaker 7: We got to knock this off, Nancy.
Speaker 2: We heard what we heard, and so we would have put this before jury.
Speaker 1: Also, we hear damn it bart bart No knows really dead, damn damn it bart No knows really dead, repeating it over and over and over. According to reports, his nickname one of them is no No. Back to Telan Pherau, what is no One's mother's theory about what happened in light of these tapes?
Speaker 2: Before we even have the tapes, her theory is I told my son, I've raised my son just like I've raised my nineteen year old the same way Nancy, like, I'm sure you raise your children, come back with the.
Speaker 7: People you went with.
Speaker 2: Her theory has always been that he is a fantastic swimmer, that he is an athlete. Her theory has always been that he did not drown. Her theory has always been that there's something wrong with this picture. Her theory has always been that the fact that you know he's left his phone and left and left his keys.
Speaker 7: Her theory has also always.
Speaker 2: Been that he did not just go off with some random stranger and say, guys, don't worry about it, just leave me on an island. Her theory is the same thing before this audio. This audio only confirms with this mother already knew.
Speaker 1: Joining me now. Susan Hendrix, investigative journalist, author of Down the Hill, My Descent into the Double Murder in Delphi, who has been on this case from the beginning. Susan Hendrix, we all know that everyone in our country is innocent until proven guilty, and regardless of how you or I or anybody else feels. That includes the young men on the boat with Nolan Wells. We have a lot of questions that have to be answered. Is this sound real? Has it been enhanced. Who enhanced it? Was it AI or doctored before Janetta Brantley pumped it up so we can hear it. I want you to hear another version.
Speaker 7: You can see that.
Speaker 11: I have the c toe channel completely muted, so we're only listening to the callers. Then I go through and simply raise the volume of all of the chatter we hear at the beginning of the call.
Speaker 4: Hey, we're the west tip of Born. Our billage stops working. We're going We're thinking, can you all please? Can we have I've never should.
Speaker 1: Joy Susan. That was enhanced by my producer Sydney. I know her like that. I I asked her enhance it the best you can. She again has no interest in the outcome of this case. She pulls up quote want me to cover him up? I mean, Susan.
Speaker 12: Way in, I was listening to the enhanced version, both of them now not doctor by the way, there's a big difference there. Have you ever heard Nancy on Instagram where you listen to two things and your mind goes to what you're thinking of, like green car or moonboat? What are we really hearing? I believe that something nefarious did happen where I think the answers will be again, this is my opinion, but I believe something happened there, and we're not hearing the full story. And you pointing out Nancy how prouded that area was. So let's say what people are claiming that it was an accidental growning.
Speaker 1: No one saw.
Speaker 11: Look here at the crowd.
Speaker 12: Nobody saw what happened, and all of us have our phones on us all the time.
Speaker 1: No one recorded this.
Speaker 12: I think the answers are in the timeline and also the autopsy when we will hear answers there.
Speaker 1: You're seeing video from the Officer Tatum show and I don't know what they were trying to show with it, but how can someone be dead and floating in the water and nobody notice? Which leads me too, Susan Hendrix. The fact that we have learned tonight that the States autopsy is complete, but it's being kept secret.
Speaker 12: Yeah, absolutely, being held for the grand jury to look into that. And the fact that you brought up Nancy earlier that part of.
Speaker 1: His rote was missing. Will that be key?
Speaker 12: There's so many questions around us, but right it's a public record, but we're not hearing about it. I guess they're waiting for the grand jury to show them that first.
Speaker 1: Joe Scott Morgan death investigator. I've never known an autopsy report not to be a public record unless they're claiming ongoing investigation. Now, in the D four VD David Anthony Burke case, the LAPD demanded the Medical Examiner keep it secret because the Medical Examiner's office allegedly was leaking information, possibly for money. Don't know that yet, but I will. How common is that that the medical examiners ordered not to release the autopsy? Why is the autopsy being kept secret.
Speaker 8: Because it's continued investigation. They're going to go to grand jury with this. I can tell you that. I'll bet you dollars to donuts if that's the case. We see it with We saw it with Hoefor right. We didn't have it there. We don't have it with Charlie Kirk. You know that's an ongoing event. This is being investigated, and you know the point of contact. Here is an interesting situation here because you have the State Medical Examiner, but you also have a county corner. The State Medical Examiner provides a service to the county corner. The corner is an elected official, He does not do these autopsies, and so the coroner is going to be the gatekeeper relative to any kind of document. But with that said, under state, I think under state to statute, the DA, the prosecutor, they can say, look, you're going to hold off on releasing this report. So it's being held at this point in time. Now the reports that we're hearing are saying that it is complete. Now what does that mean. Well, if you have a complete autopsy report, that means safety talks. They've probably got histology which is going to be the tissue studies, and they actually have the anatomical autopsy report that has been completed. That's what I think it was ABC that was reporting that. I can't validate that, but that's what is being leaked out at this point in time, so they have their support. I think the question is, and this goes back to you, my friend, is that if this is going to be a grand jury thing, when is it going and when is the medical exander going to be called and summoned to speak to this. That's what everybody's going to be hanging on in my opinion.
Speaker 1: Oh no, on j just Scott, you mentioned the Talks report that's a blood panel done. Was he drinking, was he using drugs? A lot has been married, had been given someone witnesses stating no one was drunk. Okay, does that really change anything? Does that change anything? Unless he died of acute alcohol poisoning, because I guarantee you ain't anybody on that boat that's afraid of a cocktail. Okay. So if he was drinking, what difference does does that make? And whether he was killed or whether he died of an accident.
Speaker 8: Joe Scott, Well, listen, Nancy. I know you're a teetotaler, but let me tell you something. The drunker you get, the more alcohol you take on board, it lessens your ability to defend yourself. It lessens your ability to make good decisions. And so we see just played out all the time in the medical legal world, and that's going to be the measure here, I think relative to the toks. Everybody wants to see the toxicology because that's going to give us an idea of chemically, what is in this young man's system. Was he able to do for himself at that point in time, And that's another problem that arises.
Speaker 1: It's a double edged sword. Joe Scott. You can argue, rightly, he was drunk and could not defend himself against an attack. You could also argue he was drunk and hit his head and then they go, oh, my stars, he's dead. But wouldn't that have shown up in the auto if he did, if he died by a blow to the head, be it accidental or nefarious, wouldn't that have shown up?
Speaker 8: Yeah, And keep in mind the second physician that did the autopsy, who by the way, is highly respected, the former chief medical examiner for DC that was retained by the family. He didn't see any evidence of fractures.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 8: Now, that doesn't mean that there wasn't a concussive event. I'm talking about being hitting ahead, and you can have stuff that's contained within the cranial vault that might not be presenting. But again back to what I said earlier, I find it very interesting that this doctor is commenting on the state of the decomposition when he sees the body. And that's problematic. It's very problematic. When you're trying to make an assessment. You're already absent. You're already absent the organs of the neck, you're absent, intact lungs, and you know because the specter of drowning is on the tape. So if you want to make a thorough scientific assessment, he's kind of handcuffed at me at this point. And again going back to this idea, how long did it take them to get his body to DC and why was it in such a state of decomposition when it arrived?
Speaker 1: Crime Stories with Nancy Grace Franz Borghart joining US veteran trial lawyer out of the Baton Rouge jurisdiction, speaking of talks toxicology results. Number one, they don't take that long unless you want them to. Number two, there is doubt if he died by accident having consumed a lot of alcohol, was their cover up or did he die from a nefarious act? So the alcohol intake could cut either way. Franz, I think you're spot on.
Speaker 9: I think that the reasonable doubt if someone gets arrested and accused of this crime is going to be if the toxicology shows a high BAC in the absence of anything else. What you yourself said, could it have been foul play where he couldn't defend himself, or foul play insomuch as he got injured because he was quote unquote drunk. That that remains to be seen. But I don't discount the.
Speaker 1: Fact that you're saying foul play. But it could have been something as simple as horsing around on the boat and him hitting his head. It could be somebody whacking him in the head. It could be finding him in the water face down. And this mark on the back of his head is some type of fluid dispersement, which I don't believe because it was nowhere else on the body except right there. And if your blood is going to sink to the lowest level upon death, it would be all over the body. But we're not seeing that. So why is the just the occipital have the deep red markings? So many many questions, and let me stress before you bother sending me another death threat. We don't know the answers. These boys, these young men on that boat, could be completely innocent. But when I listen to this sound, there are a lot of questions. Back to Tesla and Figaro, who is joining us. She's the host of the Teslim figurea podcast. She is a social justice and political commentator. Have you noticed that people are making a lot of the fact that Nolan was quote drunk. A, how do they know that? And B does it make a dfence?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Why they absolutely noticed it that he was allegedly there saying he was drunk, And it doesn't make a difference. And let me ask you this, Nancy. If he was drunk with other teenage kids, he certainly wasn't drunk by himself. So if he was drunk, why was he the only drunk one that.
Speaker 7: Ended up dead? Secondly, if this was an accident, let's say he just got.
Speaker 2: So drunk and just passed out, why didn't anybody report it? So even if it was an accident, even if he got drunk, which I don't believe, by the way, even if all those things happened, why did.
Speaker 7: His so called friends not report it.
Speaker 2: That's the part that we're missing. So if where's the answer to that, Nancy? He just went and just said I'm just gonna be drunk and just go in the middle of the ocean and just die with hundreds and hundreds of people who are around, who are watching. Nobody saw anything happen. His friends didn't see anything happen. And again I go back to this tape. I will not sit up here and pretend that I did not hear what was on bet tape, and I ask again, even the operator said, who is breathing on the ball?
Speaker 7: Don't you think that's strange? Fancy who's breathing?
Speaker 1: That's when I first heard that, Tess, and I thought, I've never heard a dispatch say who's breathing? What she did she hear all that in the background and do nothing? Or did you hear it and say something and release it? We don't know, man. We got to paper everybody with subpoenas to get to the bottom of this. But I want to go to George Olivo and everybody on the panel. You're experts in your own right. Please tell me if you have if you want to jump in, please, I'm not clairvoyant. To George Olivo joining us. He's a former FBI special agent and polygraph examiner at George Alivo dot com. Okay, George, listen to what Officer Tatum told me. Back to Officer Tatum, star of the Officer Tatum on YouTube. Have the friends taken polygraphs?
Speaker 3: Well, from my understanding, all but I believe one took a polygraph, and from what was told to me that they all passed and all of the ones that took a polygraph took one without a lawyer and so, and they cooperated with law enforcement. So from my understanding, everybody.
Speaker 1: Took understand did they tell you they took a poly and pass.
Speaker 3: They told the yes, ma'am. They told me that they did it. I wasn't there, so that's why I'm saying. From my understanding, they told me that all the boys except one, which is Warren, I believe, took a polygraph test. All of them did not have lawyers and did it and cooperated with police. Warren also cooperated police. I just believe he didn't take a lot of tech the tests. But Warren is the young man that I interviewed. So according to what they told me, they all took a lot of tech tests and passed. And it's an equivalent of a lot of technic tests. It's not a traditional a lot of tech tests, but it's the same theology of trying to get to if a person is lying. I don't know the name of it is. It's the equivalent of a lot of technologies of different methodology. Yeah, I don't believe it was a polygraph test. I believe they took other stressors in order to analyze it.
Speaker 1: So then the answer to did they take a polygraph would be no, he's charming, he's well spoken, but that was no. That was a no. They did not take a polygraph test, and not all of them took the as he is calling it the equivalent, Okay, Georgia Levo and my experience as a trial lawyer, there is no equivalent for a polygraph. Tell me the various bodily indicators a polygraph measures.
Speaker 10: So polygraph does have very specific markers physically, and we're looking for physiological changes in baseline or truth signature. So we're looking at things like respiration, heart rate, electrodermal activity which most people have interpreted swatland activity, or looking at peripheral movements to try and determine if someone's trying to cheat on the test. So it's quite it's quite extensive. And I think what with the officer Tatum was probably referring to whether you realized it or not, was the voice stress analyzer. Seems that I think you used that word one time, some kind of stressor test.
Speaker 8: It's probably that they might have taken.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna have to ask you about what that is, but to my layperson, understanding and guys, I'm speaking to an expert, former FBI special agent polygrapher, George Olivo, As I recall, just off the top of my head, a polygraph measures things you really cannot control unless you can have studied in practice beating a poly involunteery, physical stress response is blood pressure, heart rate rate, whether you're sweating, tubes around your chest and abdomen, track your breathing and even not just how fast you're breathing, but the depth of your breathing. Does your breathing become shallow? Do you have to pause and take deep breast to calm yourself down? A poly A traditional poly measures cardiovascular activity. There's a blood pressure cuff on your arm and it measures your pulse and your blood pressure fluctuation. It also measures what's called electrodermal activity. What is that? I've had to explain it a million times to jurors. Sensors attached to the fingers measure your sweat, gland activity, and even your skin electrical conductivity. The examiner then asks neutral questions like is your name Georgia Levo? Are you from Cincinnati, Ohio? Are you from La California. Are you a poligrapher? Were you with the FBI? Were you there when Nolan Wells died. That's how that would work. You would lay a foundation of non disturbing questions, baseline questions. They're called to get the person that's being subjected to a poly to get their baseline heart rate, their blood pressure, and so forth. Then when you hit them with a question regarding the case, you see if there's any change in that. Okay, I know I'm speaking as a layperson, Georgia Lvo. But those are some of the things that polygraph measures.
Speaker 10: And you nailed that. Yeah, that's right, Nancy. And let me just add that the correlation between deception and physiology is nothing new or it goes back for thousand years back in China, when the emperor was questioning one of his subjects, he would have a doctor standing by to listen to the heart rate to determine if the person was telling the truth or not. We've been studying it ever since.
Speaker 1: What is the test that Officer Tatum is talking about to what is he referring?
Speaker 10: I think and he was kind of cryptid, maybe intentionally or unintentionally. Maybe he didn't really know but it sounded like he was referring to a voice stress analyzer. Those are the machines that detect micro stressors electronically in the voice. The research is very weak on that and that type of technology. I guess it's better than nothing, But the bottom line is, I mean, I'm speaking as a polygraph examiner and I'm saying this no diagnostic tool. And you know this obviously should should ever be used as a final verdict. I mean, it is one just one piece of the truth puzzle. But obviously if you had a choice between a voice stress analyzing a polygraph that there's really no comparison to polygraph is going to be way more.
Speaker 1: Preferable. Well, I mean, even polygraphs are not allowed in a criminal trial unless both parties stipulate they will be allowed to upfront before the poly's even taken. They are allowed in civil trials. And isn't it true, Georgia Levo, you're the former FBI like Polugifer. Isn't it true? The questions matter? They're critical because if you throw opening questions like did you do anything wrong? Or were you what happened that day? You can't ask questions like that, you really have to ask yes no questions, then they can expound upon it. Your questions must be very specific, isn't that true?
Speaker 6: One hundred percent?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Test question construction is something that is going to well, a lot of things are going to make or break a test, but test question construction is key, and something is Let's say you know there's a missing child, a missing person, and you ask someone of interest, are you responsible for their disappearance? Well, that's a terrible question because you know they may feel morally responsible if only I had been more careful. You know they feel guilty, and so you're asking the wrong question there, So you really have to get it.
Speaker 1: Or you could have asked that grabs the kid off the street, are you responsible for the disappearance? And they go no, because in their mind it's the parent's fault because the child was out on the street, didn't have anything to do with me. I just gave him a ride before I killed them. That said, you can't leave anything open to interpretation, just like you and I are describing. So when I would agree to a polygraph, I never stipulated it would come into court ever. But when I would agree to a polygraph as an investigative tool, I would take part in selecting the questions and creating the questions, because, frankly, let's just be honest, George, A voice stress test where the prosecutor or the investigator is not in charge charge of the questions ain't worth a hill of beans technical legal jargon that means nothing to me.
Speaker 6: I'd agree with you there.
Speaker 1: Let me put it more clearly, voice stress tests my rear end that ain't coming into court. In fact, I wouldn't even pay any attention to it. Now you give me a polygraph where I helped fabricate the questions. Maybe I want to know who is the polygrapher? Is is Hee somebody the defense hires all the time so they're beholden to the defense. No, I want somebody like a lev O that did it with the FBI. So telling me these boys as they call them, they young men, took first it was a polly. Then I find out it's a voice stress test. Took a test and they passed. Said one of them didn't take it. That means nothing. Put them on a poly with questions approved by the stay. Then I'll pay attention right now. It's really not worth a salt that goes in my bread. You know what, if I wanted someone to pass one of these lie detector tests, I go with a voice test like these young men took. I wouldn't let them take a polygraph. Susan Hendrix joining US investigative journalist and reporter death threats, including one that says blood will be everywhere? What was that?
Speaker 12: That was from a man out of Sacramento now arrested and threatening the judge who was the stepmother of war and talk about frightening, saying a lot of blood. There'll be a lot of blood like there was on the boat, but yours will be much faster.
Speaker 1: The purp is Joseph Alfredo Vesques du Mars, arrested Thursday on charges of interstate transmission of threatening communication. Now these are federal documents. What did he threaten? One of the young men's mom with Susan.
Speaker 12: The threats were against Warren, one of the boys on the boat, his stepmother who is a judge, And it was graphic. It was brutal, saying there will be blood everywhere, threatening her life, talking about on the boat set.
Speaker 1: It really does. It says that he is sending a bomb to her office that will quote blow you away. When you see it. Once that package is open, the timer will start. Then you have ten seconds or less to ask God for forgiveness. So much blood everywhere hard to clean, especially from a boat that was in that letter. And there is another death threat Susan Hendrix to Mississippi law enforcement saying don't go outside. What happened with that?
Speaker 12: Yeah, Cincinnati, Ohio woman calling two officials out of Mississippi several times, more than twenty five times. Here is her mugshot, and you're right, don't go outside, saying there's a bomb. So the threats, they're taking them seriously as they should to arrest.
Speaker 1: So far, that's right. A woman now accused of bomb threats to government offices related to the Nolan Wills investigation. This is an Ohio woman facing federal charges. Michelle Francine Edwards just charged in the US District Court, Southern District, Mississippi, one count transmitting threatening communications to interstate commerce. Okay, nobody can do their job appropriately when they're under a death threat. That's against Mississippi law enforcement. Trust me, there are people within law enforcement that are trying to do the right thing. Threats on one of the young men's mothers that's not all, Teslan Figaro. Nolan's family has gotten threats too.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and you know, I don't condone violence on anybody, but I do want to put some context behind this. Nancy as Well, I was a police officer in the Air Force. You're talking about government officials meeting. I'm sure the judge has received threats. I'm sure the police officer has received threats. Although they are not they should not happen. But these are individuals that have taken just like you and I have taken on, you know, positions that it comes with the territory. You have received death threats. I have received death threats. So the people that's not being talked about that's receiving the death threats is Nolan Well's mother and father. Why is nobody talking about the death threats with them? They've reported it. Why isn't anybody arresting the people who are actually harassing the victims. It's on line, it's available for people to see. So I just find it very interesting that there's so much sympathy for a police officer who not only do they receive death threats, they put their life on the line. They signed up and raised their hand to say, hey, pick me for the death threats and pick me to give my very life as I did in the Air Force.
Speaker 7: So it is not right what is happening.
Speaker 2: But we also have to shine a light on the actual victims, the actual people who are grieving the loss of their son, and nobody gives a damn about the death threats that they're receiving.
Speaker 1: I want to be very clear, Ms. Figure. You say nobody cares, that's not true. I care. I care. I care about the death threats on Nolan's my mother and his family and his team. I also care about death threats on one of these boys mother and on law enforcement. And yes, my first death threat, oh my goodness, came back in the eighties. But guess what, they faxed it to me from the Fullton County jail. So that wasn't much of a mystery. But with every time you take a position, you make people angry. The thing is, if these threats, including the ones on No One's mother, the mother, you know what I'm doing all night long till two o'clock, Miss Figure, I'm packing my children to go away to college. That's what No One's mother should be doing tonight. She should be getting him ready to go back to school. Instead, she's visiting his remains and now death threats. We want justice in this case. We don't want secret granjury proceedings. We don't want secret medical examiner reports. We want all threats investigated. We want the truth behind that audio. I want to know and I want everybody on that boat polygraphed. We want answers if you know or you think you know anything about this case. Dial two two eight seven six nine three zero sixty three. Tonight, we honor canine Echo protected while serving the Sartel PD, Minnesota, because a grip called vested interest in canines created a bullet and stab proof protected vest and protected echo. These things aren't standard. Thereover a one thousand dollars each, and I've seen mini canines die on crime scenes. Protect those canines who protect us. We remember an American hero officer, Brian Huff, Detroit PD, shot in the light of duty after twelve years, leaving behind his wife, Melissa and their son Blair. American hero Officer Brian Huff. Thank you to our guests for being with us tonight, but especially to you for joining us and our search for the truth. However it may pan out if it brings down the Courtouse Waltz, so be it. We want the truth about Nolan Wills. Nancy Gray signing off, I'll see you tomorrow night, and until then, good night friend,