Speaker 1: Welcome to Danielle with the Stars. I am Danielle Fishall, a TV director, a podcaster to Panga, to the many baristas who write my name on my coffee cups, and a mom of two little boys. But as of just a month ago, you can add aspiring ballroom dancer to my resume because I am competing on season thirty four of Dancing with the Stars, airing every Tuesday night on ABC and Disney Plus. And in addition to learning the quick Step, the Cha Cha, the Argentine Tango, I am also recording a podcast along the way so that you, my dear listeners, can follow as I try my hardest to claim my very own Len Goodman Mirror Ball Trophy. And throughout the season, I'm sitting down with fellow contestants and pro to talk about the experience, their personal journey to what is currently the number one show in America, and what I, as a dancer, need to do to get better. And today I am talking to one of the main reasons Dancing with the Stars is in the middle of a renaissance twenty years after its premiere and now a staple on your for you page, he quickly became the gen z liaison between social media and the ballroom dancing TV show when he joined for season thirty one as a member of the troupe. Then he got a last minute call in season thirty two when Artam caught COVID and like a fabulous Clark kent On went the cape and dance shoes and it went so well he was promoted to pro the very next season and paired with the controversial true crime favorite Anna Delvey, where they were eliminated first yet the effect of their partnership will live on forever, and now he is killing it alongside Olympic gold medalist and all around badass Jordan Chiles, becoming this season's undeniable redemption story, taking a first week disappointment and quickly turning their partnership into a first place front runner. Please welcome to Danielle with the Stars. A truly spectacular dancer, the reason I had to step up my TikTok game, and a genuine cutie Patuti.
Speaker 2: It's Ezrasosa Jesus Louise.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that was amazing, and that was like one that was like one you've read all that you read. I wow, I could never wow talk about popcorn reading that was incredible. I like, moves, you haven't even started past there.
Speaker 1: That's it, that's it. Welcome now you could leave.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm very honored to be here. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: I am so happy you're here.
Speaker 1: I mentioned that you and Jordan kind of immediately started off as a redemption story. I have to say though, I loved Week ones Dance. I know, going first to kick off such a big season, the twentieth anniversary, the thirty fourth season, a stacked competitive year. What how did you feel when you found out you guys were going first.
Speaker 3: I was kind of excited. Yeah, because the season on four I was last. Okay, so I was like, okay, not going last, We're going first. So I'm like yeah, I'm like I'm just comparing bad juju out of the way and going first. But I definitely feel like I understand how hard going first is now because doing it, I was like, oh, yeah, I don't ever want to do that again. Yeah, it was a tough one for sure.
Speaker 1: It's tough. You don't really have a ton of time to warm up. There's no there's no real practice time.
Speaker 3: Right before or even gauge how anyone's doing. Like you just don't know what the competition's like. You know, it's feerce, but we're like, we're just going to go out there and like give it her all. But you really, it's really hard to gauge the level of talent when you are going first.
Speaker 1: Also, I don't know if anyone else feels this way. I think some people do online. But do you feel like maybe the judges also take a little while to warm up.
Speaker 3: Like absolutely, I think as the judges are watching the episodes as the audiences as well, And I think that's why it's so hard judging, because how are you going to know how this first dance is going to compare it to the last dance when you have seen them so correct I can I can just only imagine how hard it is for the judges now.
Speaker 1: I feel for them every week. Every time Carrie Anne gets booed, I'm like, guys.
Speaker 3: I'm like, she's doing her job. She's doing her job.
Speaker 1: Also, I want someone in that position who has a hot take occasionally, if that's your opinion, give me your hat take, don't keep it in. How boring would the show be if it was just placating every person that got up there, like I need them to be honest when something doesn't resonate, when they don't think something was good, even if we disagree, that's okay.
Speaker 3: If I'm being completely honest too. I do feel like Jordan and I we struggle when they don't have feedback for us completely, because like week one they gave us feedback, We're like, okay, we know exactly what we need to work on. We two it was like praise and we're like, okay, we're going to go back to week one, right, and then it was like now that's like now there's like they're just giving us compliments and it's great, but like we're both true competitors totally, and so when it comes to anything that judges have to say, if there's any feedback, I think we we like that a lot more than praise totally because we want to get better.
Speaker 1: You will actually thrive on the criticism, yes, because it means you have something to focus your energy into and turning it into improvement. And no matter where you start your dancing process, whether you're a total nube or you've got some experience or you're very advanced, the whole point of the show is to definitely end better. Than you were at the beginning. And the only way to do that is for someone to say, here are your areas for growth.
Speaker 3: And know who better than the judges on.
Speaker 1: The show on the show, exactly, absolutely, So obviously a Delvi was not necessarily a dancer.
Speaker 2: You were given a redemption operation.
Speaker 3: She told me she was okay, she told me she was a dancer. They're like, she can dance and I said, oh, she's no, And I said, show me a first position and she looked at me in the face and I was She's like And I was like, yeah, no, no dance experience there, okay, no, missy.
Speaker 1: No, Well you didn't get a redemption opportunity with her because she was let go week one. Yeah, and so she also probably has to go on that redemption journey alone.
Speaker 3: It's giving on her own time.
Speaker 1: It's giving solo journey. But are there any ideas you had for her that you wish could have happened?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, so many things, but also too like you don't even know what the network is going to allow, right, But I was like, what do you mean we can't do with Chawshad a criminal by Britney schoolers, Like we can't like, what do you mean we can't do that?
Speaker 1: But wait, I'm sorry they drew the line there with the ankle monitor.
Speaker 3: I honestly they like, I feel like in the packages too, they really refrain me from saying criminal. They're like, the network doesn't like the word criminal. And I said, okay, well, I'm in a tricky position here because I am dancing with a criminal. Yes, like so but we yeah, but yeah, on the show, she was a fashionist.
Speaker 4: Stuff, a fashionista, Yes, a fashionist stuff was doing okay.
Speaker 1: So they didn't ask me, So I'm gonna go out on a limb and just make the assumption that they don't ask people how they want to be referred to.
Speaker 3: I think they asked her really, but she wanted to be referred to as an inkle monitor ankle No, no, no, an ankle model.
Speaker 2: An ankle model? Is that because of the monitor?
Speaker 3: Yes? Okay, But then they said, we have an actual model this season, so we can't say no, we can't say ankle model. Oh yeah, very fun first season. You know what Britt told me my first season, She said, no matter what, you're never going to forget your first Yeah. I stand by that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right. And now it will live forever because you commemorated.
Speaker 3: Yes as a gay man. How iconic is that?
Speaker 1: Like, it's the most iconic thing I've ever heard a professional doing. After having an experience like that, truly, it's like, and of course you did it. Of course you're you're a genius. So let's all just get that out of the way. So let's talk about joining the Troop. I know you had competed on So you think you can dance, and your Utah roots connected you to many of the pros. But how did getting on Troop come together?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I feel like it's just like everything kind of has to set in place. Yeah, as you can imagine, there's only so many positions on the show as a dancer, so there's hundreds and thousands of people who just want to be able to just dance on the show. I was one of those people. But I definitely feel like doing so you think you can dance and being in the dance convention circuit, I was kind of in the right orbit around the right people. Okay, So by the time I actually auditioned for so you think they are already reaching out asking, like gauging, like if I was a good fit for the show and whatnot, and so I definitely feel like ever since I turned eighteen out they were kind of eyeing, mean, seeing if it was right fit, and then I joined the show. It was it was like during COVID and so it was like an audition zoom process. So it was like, definitely not I don't think how anyone else would join the show, but it was they wanted to see me teach, they wanted to have interviews with me, and yeah, and then we got on the show.
Speaker 1: How do you prepare to teach someone else to dance?
Speaker 3: You don't, I mean unless you have teaching experience, but you have to. No, there's no other way to train being a pro on the show than being a pro on Dancing with the Stars, because there's no other job like it. You have to wear so many hats and I'm sure you know through Pasha, like he has to find good music for you, he has to also like understand you and your story through dance, and it's there's a lot of things that you have to do.
Speaker 1: Can we talk a little bit about the music, music selection and dance selection process, because I see a lot of people talking about it online. And they don't understand how many factors going to play into it. I, truthfully, now having been a part of it for four weeks, still don't understand all of it because I don't understand music the way you guys do. Like Pasha's, I'll be like, why can't we use this song for such and such? He's like, because that's not a three four count and I'm like whatever, I don't know why I like Okay, So there are so many things. One you want to pick something that has some sort of a connection to you because you have to rely on that music to help bring your story out. You don't want to be sick of it. You don't want to dislike it, you want to love it. It has to fit a certain rhythm, It has to fit the theme of the week. Can we talk about Disneyland this week?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well yeah, you have to fit the theme of the week. And honestly, they will sit you down and especially with Disney, and they're like, we're celebrating Disneyland. So if you can find a song from the ride Tiana's by your Adventure, that's what we would recommend. And so you know, as a team player, you're always gonna want to deliver and find the perfect option. But there's so many other factors that go into it, like Robert and Whitney, Like he's in Zutopia too, so it's like if he didn't do that, that would have been you know. It's like it's a great promo for Zutopia, but also a great story for him because he's having a moment in the actual movie.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: So I definitely feel like, especially with song selections, it's different for every single person. But I always say, as a pro, you have to find music that they love, because I always say I don't get final decision. My partner does because it is their journey on the show. But I'm very lucky because Jordan's very down for whatever, and she understands that, Like, like you said, we have to pick music and songs that fit the style, the theme. But also like I can't do two slow dances in a row because then it's like it gets a little stale, or it's like if we do a rumbo, we can't do a rumba later on, Like we have to find the styles at the right time.
Speaker 1: And you can we have an idea of what's coming week after week and you start saying like, okay, let's we started with this, Like to your point, all right, we started with a tango. We're not gonna do something slow or ballroom me next week. Now we have to do it. So by the time you get to week six, you're like, here are a handful of dances we haven't done you can do, and now we have to find a song that speaks to you that fits the theme. So the themes they kind of they're a little Having one.
Speaker 2: Every week is a little difficult.
Speaker 3: It's hard fighting music like it is. It is really hard. But I always say I personally love theme weeks because it ties all the dances together. Yeah, and I think it ties the episode together as a whole. I feel like once you're in the shoes as a pro and you're having to actually find the songs, yes, it does suck, but as a bigger picture, it makes total sense to do.
Speaker 1: You're right, And when people talk online about like, well why don't why doesn't everybody do all the same dances, and you think, do you want to watch fourteen tangos?
Speaker 3: I mean we did how many?
Speaker 2: We five?
Speaker 1: We have five quick steps, I know, and we had five shahaws, you know, like so yeah already.
Speaker 3: And we like, I didn't know. Did you know that there was five quick steps?
Speaker 2: I did?
Speaker 3: Oh, I didn't know.
Speaker 2: You didn't know.
Speaker 3: No. I was like, there's five of them and we're the fifth one. Good luck troops. As a Jordan, this is going to be a tough one.
Speaker 4: But I think you guys were underscored. Really, just guess what what. I think you were too.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I think you guys deserved your first nine.
Speaker 3: I really do. Really is it crazy that? And I talked to Jordan about this too. Okay, I'm okay with us, I'm okay with our scores. So am I Yes, I.
Speaker 2: Feel the same way. I actually because you know my mom, of course you believe you didn't get your first eight.
Speaker 1: I'm like, Mom, thank god, you're not alone.
Speaker 3: It's actually kind of crazy because I can also not like your quick stuff was incredible.
Speaker 1: Thank you. It was so much fun. It's my favorite dance we've done. But if we had gone down, if I had been given a worse score than the week before, I definitely felt like I was at least on par with my last week's dance. I do think it was better than last week's chance with you, But if I had gone down, I would be like, oh no, this is this is terrible. But consistency is never bad. And I still have the looking forward to my first eight in front of me. So I'm just.
Speaker 3: Giving next week. I mean, what's your dance next week? It's giving next.
Speaker 1: Week, thank you. If my knees can hold up, it should be it should be really fun. I mean, you know, Dedication week is going to be amazing. Speaking of Dedication week, you guys are doing a song it is very near and dear to my heart. You're doing Daughters, and the dedication is to Jordan's dad. Right.
Speaker 3: It's just such a special song. I really is. And I also think the message behind the song is so powerful and it really connects to Jordan and her dad. And you really see the accolades that Jordan has made and she's an Olympian, like I mean, I know, come on like diva seriously, but it takes a strong support system to do that, but also to see the incredible woman that she is. You can just tell like she has such a strong father figure in her life, and really that's what the dance is about, is just the blessing of having a strong father figure and how it could really shape a woman's life.
Speaker 1: Do you feel a lot of pressure to put together something that's befitting of that kind of emotion.
Speaker 3: I guess it'll all come together. But I mean, Jordan clocked me last week because I put a lot of pressure on myself with our quick step. But this week, I'm just letting it go and I'm just trusting the process, and I'm trusting it'll all come together. Like I trust my ability as a pro, but I also trust Jordan as my partner. And also like I already started teaching Jordan's dad and he is a solid guy, Like he's so great and so nice, and they're both the literal same person. Where it's like you just know a PCE like this will fall together the way it needs to, the moment it needs to.
Speaker 1: That's so special. I want to talk to you about your social media game because you are so good on coming from you. No, no, no, I have only had to step up my game because of you.
Speaker 3: Well it's making me step up my game.
Speaker 1: Well, then look at us just raising the bar for each other. That's what real friends do.
Speaker 3: Two queens two queens too exactly, we just straighten your crown, how do you how do you how do you come.
Speaker 1: Up with your social Is it like a strategy or do it?
Speaker 3: Does it really just a strategy? It is strategy, but also it's I feel like it's super unfortunate that I am chronically online, like from a mental health and everything, but when it comes to social media, like it definitely gives you a leg up. But it's like also knowing like six seven like that TikTok you do with Pasha the sixth seven one Chef's kiss so good, but like you have to understand those things and in order to do that, you have to be online, right chronically chronically online, And I am chronically online. But I also feel like I learned a lot through a lot of my close friends who have a big social media following. So even it's like our first week is bad, I'm like, Okay, that's that's a joke in itself. We can do a TikTok about that and like, yeah, completely like changed light of the whole situation.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, are you chronically online year round or you know, okay, okay, good.
Speaker 3: It actually got really especially my relationship with social media. Last year, my social media popped off and in ways I never expected it to but in the weirdest way that a lot of people knew me for my social media but not for my talent and not for my danceability. So it really got to me on tour when people are going, like You're meeting so many people and there's like it's Danielle and You're like every single time I see daniel like Queen, I'm like, your dancing is incredible, and then fan's going to come up to me and be like your TikTok is my favorite, so you for so like after tour, I kind of like held that to myself. I'm like, Okay, I guess this is my thing. And I put so much energy into it where it made me lose sight for my actual love of dance. And so before the season started, I kind of took a couple of weeks off of social media completely and it kind of just trained in the studio and just wrap my head around like getting my mental health better in order to get right for the season.
Speaker 2: So smart, and.
Speaker 1: You're right that, like we are, the point of social media for us as professionals should be to use social media as a tool to help cultivate the career.
Speaker 2: Yes, as opposed to just.
Speaker 1: The personality, unless you want to just be a personality, you know, but like for you, you are an incredibly talented dancer, You're a performer, and your social media should help highlight and shine the spotlight on that, not just the fact that you're also a fabulous personality, although you are both.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's the comments You're like going through it and they're like, oh my god, I didn't even know he danced. I'm like, diva, oh no, you're like this. I'm like, how do you think I got the job? How do you think I got the job? I'm like, four years of shaking my.
Speaker 1: I deserve some credit for that. Yes I do, Yes, absolutely, Okay, I have to talk about the tattoo.
Speaker 2: The you have a.
Speaker 1: You're taking Brandon to get a tattoo that says pissed yes is so iconic.
Speaker 2: How did that idea come about? Was it your idea for Brandon or for my own, well, for yours.
Speaker 1: I'm going to assume it was of.
Speaker 3: Course, like it was just stupid, Like I definitely feel like looking back at it, I was like, I don't even know what I was thinking. But I stand by that decision.
Speaker 1: I'm really glad I mean, honestly, it's so. It's so I don't have any tattoos. I had to and I had. I'm removed. I love it so much. I'm like, maybe I'll get dancing with the stories too. I'm not going to plan on exiting with a word like nothing or pissed, but I just think it's so wonderful that like maybe I maybe I will. I don't know. But whose idea was it to convince brand Brandon?
Speaker 3: Who do you think? Girl? Who do you think? I'm yes? Literally, right after he got eliminated, I texted him, was like, see if I can find it, please or his wife, because Brandon never ever responds.
Speaker 1: He's not as as active online, which is probably means his mental health is wonderful.
Speaker 2: Yes, he's probably very healthy.
Speaker 3: They say, what do we say?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: I don't even know how I can. Oh. I sent him a voice non, okay. He said the tattoo idea, You're a genius. I said, please do it would break the internet?
Speaker 2: Which it did.
Speaker 3: I said, carry the tradition, yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, And so he was right. He right away he was on board, on board, Oh my gosh. And so you took him, yes, Riley felt it, and you held it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was such a special moment for the two of us. It really was.
Speaker 1: I just love it. I think it's one of the greatest things I've ever seen. You are such a pivotal part of ushering in a whole new demographic to Dancing with the Stars. No one could have predicted thirty four seasons in the show would be having, I mean, a total rebirth. It's more popular now than it has ever been. With that said, there is still a large population of viewership that's part of the shall we say, Old Guard, you know, and now you're helping bring in a whole new, young, more open minded audience. How do you feel the intersection of these audiences, how do you feel the intersection is going. I'm this is a little bit of a deeper question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, that is that is a deeper question. You know. I find it interesting because I say, like Old Guard is like Instagram. Okay, okay, okay, I'm sorry, I'm an old If you're if Instagram is your thing, I'm so sorry. I am so sorry. Okay, okay, But you know, TikTok is where my huge or a huge part of my audiences, which is a huge part of the new audience that is coming to Dancing with the Stars. But I always find interesting how things perform different differently on different platforms, even if it's the same video. But sometimes a video of yours will see a different side of the Internet which probably shouldn't see it, right, and then it's just gonna get a different reaction, maybe one that you're not really hoping for.
Speaker 1: I feel very old now that I've lived through enough things that like my space.
Speaker 2: My Space was one of them.
Speaker 3: Let's bring your back, you know what.
Speaker 1: My Space is already, It's been enough time that it's back. It's cool in a nostalgic way. Facebook used to be for old people. What is Facebook Now? Facebook's just for for the ancient.
Speaker 3: I think we kind of forgot about Facebook. Yeah, is Facebook the my space?
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying. Facebook is the new MySpace, Instagram is the new Facebook.
Speaker 2: And then TikTok is TikTok, tik Talk is TikTok.
Speaker 3: Wow, there's a lot of keys to keep up with.
Speaker 2: I know, it is a lot to keep yeah, it is.
Speaker 1: It's also some of the I'm seeing a lot of questions online about judging, in particular now that there is a whole new fan base watching the show sometimes for the very first time.
Speaker 3: I think it's funny. I think I saw him for Sorry, I was being like, wait, I thought Derek and Mark were together, Like I'm screaming, I'm screaming. I'm like both happily married.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and not to each other and not to each other. Right, so funny. Well, I know that now that there are all these newer, younger viewers who have never seen it, and they really want to try to understand all the aspects of the show. So they're like, wait a minute. The voting closes at eight, but then the person who goes last, you only have a few minutes to vote for that person. The judges scores count for roughly fifty percent every I mean, the amount of people doing stats and math problems.
Speaker 2: And I also don't.
Speaker 4: Understand guess what I also don't understand. I know there's no syllabus.
Speaker 3: No, there isn't a syllabus, but I think that's called producing, right, yeah, then it's called producing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, show exactly, I know.
Speaker 1: And I did. I did see someone somewhere found like something on one of the original maybe the Dancing with the Star's website, where there was like some sort of breakdown about.
Speaker 2: And did it make sense if you understand stats.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I actually look at it. No, Honestly, I feel like every single showdown, I'm like this, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Just whatever we do, what we do.
Speaker 3: I mean, look at Lauren and Brandon, we thought they were chilling, and then next thing, you know, you just.
Speaker 2: Never know, I know, was Jordan, And I mean we were all shocked.
Speaker 3: She's a harmonizer. She was distraught like she was. She didn't want to go through press after. I know, I was like, yeah, but I like she deserved to stay longer. I will stand on that, yeah, and I completely agree like she, I don't. I also feel like she didn't really fully get to share her story, which we all knew her. She was such a nice and lovely girl, and it's like it just makes it that much worse when they have to leave so soon.
Speaker 1: I know, I couldn't agree with you more. And I every time I saw Lauren I felt better after seeing her.
Speaker 2: She was just one of those people uplifted everyone.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I every single time always felt good around her. So I was very sad to see her go. And I know how much Jordan and did.
Speaker 3: They know each other before the season, But when Jordan met Lauren, Jordan was going to pass out, like she was so excited to meet her.
Speaker 2: She's a big fan, big fan.
Speaker 1: That is so sweet. It seems like every week there is a new philosophical question online surrounding the show, and I wanted to ask you about this. First, is the idea of prior dance experience?
Speaker 3: Oh, here we go on.
Speaker 2: What are your thoughts.
Speaker 1: On what the perfect amount of prior dance experience is for a celebrity to have.
Speaker 3: I think I don't think there. I don't think it should matter. Okay, honestly, I really don't because you look at people like Hilaria and Glub. She had incredible dance experience, but people at home weren't really necessarily able to connect with her. But then you have someone like Andy who doesn't have near as much dance experience, but he gained such a huge audience just through his heart and through his personality. And I do feel like what's making this season so strong is the different varieties of dance experience. Yeah. My thing is, if you're under the umbrella of star, you're welcome to be on the ballroom floor. That and that is and I really do stand by that because you really look up Whitney and Mark, like, we wouldn't have had the room where it happens if it wasn't for the two of them together in that moment.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: And it's like that dance routine was pure magic.
Speaker 2: It really was. It really was.
Speaker 1: No, You're absolutely right. I think that's a great way of thinking about it. If you fall under the umbrella of star, you are welcome to be on the ballroom floor and dance is. I've mentioned this now to everybody who's come on, and I probably sound like a bit of a stupid broken record because duh. But as somebody who's worked in multiple aspects of the entertainment industry as an actor, as a dancer, as a writer, as a producer.
Speaker 2: Did I say as a dancer?
Speaker 1: I didn't. Yes, I mean now as almost everything other than a dancer until now to really understand how much dance is in just another form of storytelling and expression and connection with the audience. You're exactly right, Andy is connecting to the audience through this medium that even without having the experience, the point of the show is about telling that story. And the point of the show isn't necessarily who's the best dancer, it's who's your favorite dancer? Who do you want to see dance again? Next week? I see a couple of you know, people sometimes forget that they can vote for more than one couple, and they're like, oh, it's just so hard because I'm really voting for you.
Speaker 3: Know, Jordan is like ten couples per vote.
Speaker 1: Ten couples per vote, ten votes per couple exactly, so you can vote for more than one. And so that's what I always tell people, because I'm like, guys, especially before we get to the finale. Once you get to the finale, you're gonna have to choose yes, sure, yes, but vote for every couple you want to see in the finale, because don't you want to curate the end. So anyone you feel like you want to see dance again because you connected with the dance, or you connected with the story, or you connected with it. We are storytelling and you have to if you connect with the story, place your vote. So okay, well, thank you for answering that, because I welcome I love it. Are you more interested as not only a pro on the show, but as a viewer, are you more interested in the journey of a celebrity or just an impressive dance.
Speaker 3: Journey of the celebrity. I also feel like, as as a dancer, I respect someone's journeying when they start from the ground up. And you eveno alone to last season, like, her message was so powerful and even though she didn't win a Mirror Ball, I just like I told her, your message in your journey on the show was a lot bigger than winning a Mirror Ball, and that's me is so powerful. But you know, sometimes but also you need like stellar routine to like really amplify the show. But to me, personally, I love a dancer's journey.
Speaker 1: Oh, I couldn't agree more. Also, I probably shouldn't say this, but I'm going to anyway. I feel like, for at least for myself, I'll only speak for myself. I can't speak for anyone else. I want to win the Mirror Ball, but not even so much for me.
Speaker 2: I want to win for Pasha.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's so stee.
Speaker 1: I want Pasha to have the mirror Ball that I think, you.
Speaker 3: Know, I think Pasha deserves a mirror Ball too.
Speaker 1: I feel like for me, my goal is exactly what you said about Alona. My story, my story, and this journey for me is the win. And where like when I was in the bottom three last week and I was standing up there and I know they say the bottom three doesn't necessarily mean the bottom three, but still you're staying.
Speaker 3: You're there, You're there.
Speaker 1: You're you are there, could be your name, that is.
Speaker 3: But they were playing games, they were playing games with you. I was not, and I was backstage with Danny. Oh someone. I was like, kind of backs like, Danny's not going to be Pasha, like it's not and it's not, it is not happening.
Speaker 1: I would have loved to have seen Danny's face.
Speaker 3: Well, no, you wouldn't have because you made it so no, no one wanted to see that.
Speaker 1: But when you're standing up there, you have all these thoughts that flashed through your head. And it was amazing to me, for as competitive as I am, how quickly I went from oh God, I really hope that it's not us too, but if it is us, I have loved every single second I have spent here with these people and no regrets, no regrets. So I got But but so the mirror ball I feel in my opinion is more for you guys, the mirror ball belongs to you.
Speaker 3: But do you know what's crazy? I think I think the opposite. For me as a pro, our job is to give the best experience to a celebrity.
Speaker 1: But you do that and then you get the mirror ball. You guys do that. That's what I think everyone needs to know about this show. The stars of this show are the pros.
Speaker 3: See, we're on different sides here. You it's it's about you guys and telling your story. Sure, sure, but if we get a mirror ball, so Hie. I know, Sophie. But even with even with Jordan, I was like, do you want to win? And She's like, yeah, I want to win. And I was like, guess what, me too good. It's like, I think it's all about just like matching your partner's energy exactly. Yeah. I mean, but even with Anna, I was like, do you want to win? She goes hmmm. I was like, Okay, we're gonna have a gag. You know what. We're gonna have a gag and we're gonna have fun doing it.
Speaker 1: We're gonna be dazzled your ankle monitor.
Speaker 3: So I'm like, that's was that your idea. Well, I remember I talked to production about it and they're like, well, we wanted to do it, and I was like, well, did you get that approved by the government. Well I didn't. I didn't know. But honestly, I did it in a way where she couldn't charge it.
Speaker 2: So wait, you did it yourself, Yes, I did so.
Speaker 3: I did it for rehearsal. No, I'm kidding you. I did it for rehearsal. And the next day like, she pills them all off and I was like what happened? And she goes, I couldn't charge it, and I was like I almost got arrested because of me.
Speaker 1: I also never thought about the fact that you have to.
Speaker 3: Charge those you do. We would rehearse. It wasn't it was like a giant leave, but like we would be rehearsing and then it'd be like you hear like and I'm like what is that? And you feel like you're like what and it's like, no better, I'm dead. I was like five minutes to charge it.
Speaker 2: I'm like, streaming, do you take it off to charge?
Speaker 3: No? She oh, she's gonna kill me. Oh yeah, yeah. Her leg was out and you're just kind of sticking on there.
Speaker 1: So are you guys still friendly?
Speaker 3: We're not talking right now, you're not talking right now.
Speaker 1: I heard that maybe there was an unfollowed Yeah, there.
Speaker 3: Was definitely an unfollow And you know what, it's okay, it's okay.
Speaker 2: We're all on our different journey.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's like you you be you boo boo, and I'll be me, you know, respectfully.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, Okay, I saw that you were recently hanging out with Kai sinnat Yeah.
Speaker 3: Wait yeah that was like at the Ace?
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, have have you? Have you talked about trying to get him on the show.
Speaker 3: I mean every single time I see a producer, I talk about how having him on the show.
Speaker 2: You know how massive that I was telling them that, like how.
Speaker 3: Massive that would be if he was on the show. Yeah, but maybe it's, you know, next season. But okay, I definitely feel like he's in the Rolodex of names names one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, he definitely showed interest like I was. I wasn't expecting him to be as interested as he was, Like when I went up to I went up to him during the AMAS and he was like doing his live stream and I was like to Jenn I was like, I'm just going to ask him. She goes like, what if he says no, I'm like, then it's a gag and I can just like walk away. I wasn't expecting him to say yes at all and then just get his number and connect.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Man, Yeah, I hope so, And honestly, if he gets on the show, I hope he gets Danny.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: I really do feel like it'd be such a good parent.
Speaker 2: That would be a great pairing.
Speaker 1: If you were going to be a celebrity on the show, who would be.
Speaker 2: Your Prosha pick?
Speaker 3: Really Russia?
Speaker 1: Do you know how many people have said that to me?
Speaker 2: That is so funny.
Speaker 1: So many people said that to me when I first started, Like if I were going to be on the show, Pasha be who I pick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I definitely feel like he's the most team player, most endearing. But also I trained with him growing up, so I definitely feel like I can learn the most from him. Yeah, and I also like I see his routines. His choreography is amazingly even watching his routine with you, the figures that he does, the way that he formulates it so inspiring. So I feel like as a celebrity as just a dancer myself. Like I just love every single time I get to work with him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he is the like what a what a gift to humanity is Pasha?
Speaker 3: Like, honestly, I love I will. I love him so much even on tour. I feel like on tour too, you see everyone's side like you We truly do, and there is no quarters. There was never a moment where Pasha like lost as cool. He was such a gentleman to everyone and also just having his daughter out in the road with Danny and just see how amazing the father he is is like so endearing it really is.
Speaker 1: I know, he said yesterday, he was like during my audition, I told them that I was like a bear because I could be like I could be cuddly, but I.
Speaker 2: Could also like gurr.
Speaker 1: And I was like, when are you girl, I've never seen ger and he was like, I am when I need to be ooh oh, Like.
Speaker 5: We're going to backpedal from that one, Okay, I guess I don't need the story or whatever, but like, I'm so curious, how excited are you to go back out on the road for tour?
Speaker 1: Tour was just announced?
Speaker 3: Excited? Yes, yes, I'm so excited. I like last season was such a dream come true, and like like the show is having a renaissance. So just performing for crowds like that in ways that like the show hasn't seen in so long is like a dream. It is such a dream, Like we're on stage in your ears would bleed from how loud people are screaming you. I don't think as a performer, I've ever experienced that. For those people to scream for you like that is so surreal.
Speaker 2: How many dates are you guys doing?
Speaker 3: I haven't even looked.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just know, like December twelfth, I'm all, there is up until May third?
Speaker 1: So wow, December twelfth or May third? Where can people buy tickets? Is it DWTS? Yeah, it's like tour dot com Yeah, DWTS tour dot com.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay great.
Speaker 3: Would you want to go?
Speaker 2: Yes? I do want to go.
Speaker 1: I was going to ask you how how do normal how do celebrities normally do it?
Speaker 2: How long do they go?
Speaker 4: What's is it very It's like if it's it's like up to you, really, yeah, it's up to you.
Speaker 3: How long you want to go?
Speaker 1: So, like, if I want to take my kids out of school, bring a tutor and just go the whole time.
Speaker 3: I mean sure. I mean we got Rome and Nikita, so we're we're capable of doing it.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't that too?
Speaker 3: Having Nikida out on the road and like whenever Rome would come down. I think it just brings so much humanity, like humanity does because when you're going city to city to city and you're just on a bus and you're performing on a bus and performing, it's you see those kids and just brings you back to your why. Yeah, and it just helps keep you pushing.
Speaker 1: Do you want to have kids? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: And do you know what's crazy? And I Toopostia this, I never wanted to have kids until I saw how he handled Nikita and Danny on the road. Like it was like it just I was like, I just never thought as a performer and as a dancer, I could have kids in this type of climate and environment. You're just seeing how they're able to make it work, just in their love for each other. Yeah, I hope I have that one day. I know.
Speaker 1: It really also helps so much that his mom and dad, Yes, I mean, how sweet are they? I know, I asked him, because you know, we have two kids and we have an annie. Our family doesn't live down the street like their family does. But I said, do you guys have an Anni? And he was like, no, it's my mom. And I was like, that is the perfect scenario. Just to have your little tribe be taking care of your Family's so great. That's so sweet. You're going to have that someday, I hope, so really you will for sure. Have you already started thinking of TikTok ideas for the bus?
Speaker 3: They'll just come to me, I guess. And if you got any too, we could do the Void meets World themes on it.
Speaker 1: I mean, have fun with that. So TikTok dancing is very viby.
Speaker 3: Do you want to my hot take?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Please take? I want to take, me do this and I want.
Speaker 3: To do by this. TikTok has brought so much joy and like brought a new lecture the show. But I don't think it needs to be on the ballroom floor personally as a TikToker, I did not. I did not think it. I don't think it belonged there.
Speaker 2: You know what, don't disagree with you?
Speaker 3: Okay? And I also too, like our TikTok week. I feel like a lot of people were expecting me to do a TikTok dance in my dance and I was like, no, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I just don't think.
Speaker 1: Pasha and I didn't do it either. Yeah, Pasha and I said, the way we're incorporating TikTok is that we are using a song that grows viral on TikTok.
Speaker 2: Yes, but we are not going to do the TikTok dance part. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I agree, And I also think it was a very polarizing thing for the audience. One of the incredible things about Dancing with the Stars is that, especially right now, it feels like everyone would like a safe space to be able to go for no politics, yes and maybe just pure joy. And TikTok was a little like half the audience is like, what even is TikTok? I don't know these songs, I don't know these dances. I'm not sure why we're doing this. And then the TikTok audience was then not really thrilled that it wasn't enough TikTok. Yeah, I'm and so no one really felt I agree, No one really. I didn't I don't know that it would need to happen again. I will say that who won the Internet during TikTok Week was on the comment about Lauren and Brandon going home on TikTok Week, Instagram wrote would have never happened on Instagram night.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, but that we've never had a social media night.
Speaker 1: I know Instagram won the night as far as.
Speaker 3: Look at that leting how that turned out? Wow.
Speaker 1: So I have been asking everybody who's come on the show, this as someone who has not only seen all of my routines but has had a close seat, if you had one piece of advice for me moving forward, if you could just get me one thing that you think would help me, what do you think it would be?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I feel like my advice for you to trust the process? Okay, yeah, I mean you have such a good pro you really do. And I do believe that you have such a good head on your shoulders too about the whole journey and everything. So, and I'm sure everyone told you this too. Enjoy it, yeah, have fun, but also just trust the process. Every single week is an ebb and flow of disaster and then trying to piece it all together and then magically it always works out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so just trust it.
Speaker 3: But honestly, like you're in such good hands, I don't know what else I could.
Speaker 6: Say to elevate your experience, like truthfully, well, like Mandy Moore when we had Mandy Moore on the podcast, Mandy Moore said, go bigger, be bigger, just there's no room for subtlety on the ballroom floor.
Speaker 1: Which as an actor, someone who spends a lot of time being subtle assuming the camera will pick it up, that's not gonna help, no girl.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I definitely agree with that, especially on camera things are a little bit smaller, so you has to dance a little bit bigger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm struggling with that. I'll be honest, Like in the room.
Speaker 1: You know, Pasha's like and there's a big sweeping arm movement, and I'm like, and what if I do it like a little more subdued.
Speaker 3: But sometimes it doesn't mean dance it bigger, just means have more tone. Yeah, because if someone told me to raise my arm and all like this, Yeah, there's a difference between that and this, right, Like just they're just having a little bit more muscle tone in my arm.
Speaker 2: It just it'll make your movement unless you're doing cha chaw.
Speaker 1: And then the amount of times I had stiff arms and Pashua was like, Danielle, what are those arms? You cannot do that? Please relax your arms like and I was like I can't.
Speaker 3: Well those give yourself grace because those technically are the hardest styles for women on the show Women's Celebrities, Chasha and Rumba. Those have jam packed technique and not in close holds. So you're like, there, yeah.
Speaker 1: That was a terrible week for me to be injured.
Speaker 3: Then yes, but then also, okay, okay, I'm gonna clock Pasha because you're injured. And then I started a dance a car will into a split Pasha and was handy, was it the hammy?
Speaker 1: It was my hamst It like it was a left It was a left split.
Speaker 3: So it was my left safe day.
Speaker 1: So that was okay. The cartwheel was making me nervous, but he kept He was like, do we just take it out? We just take it out?
Speaker 2: And I was like, no, we got this.
Speaker 1: But then that day, like my legs and I couldn't even feel my kneecaps. I was like, I don't know if my legs straight or not can't even feel my knee.
Speaker 3: Anyway, We're gonna do it.
Speaker 1: We're gonna do it. If I get a redemption dance, I want to do my Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I hope you get a redemption dance.
Speaker 1: Ezra. Thank you so much for being here. I am absolutely rooting for you, and I think you are such a delight and so much fun to be around. I light up every time I see you. I just really I appreciate you so much. I respect you so much. You bring so much to the show, and I love seeing your partnership with Jordan, And even though we are quote unquote in competition, I hope we're.
Speaker 3: In the land to the end, to the end.
Speaker 2: Let's go, let's go final, and I'm rooting for you.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you really are like your journey and seeing how you are with Pasha is truly the heart of the show. So I hope you know, like the impact you're making is huge.
Speaker 1: Thank you, babes, of course, thank you for being here.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: See you soon. Danielle with the Stars produced and hosted by Danielle Fischl. Executive producers Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo producer, editor and engineer Tara Sudbosch. Theme song by Justin Siegel. Follow us on Instagram at Danielle with Stars and vote for me