Speaker 1: And now moving my mic back, you're like that time we strike waters from headquarters behind him. And if you are just tuning into Civic Cipher, I am your host, Ramses job.
Speaker 2: He is Ramses job.
Speaker 1: I am q Ward.
Speaker 2: You are now tuned in to Civic.
Speaker 1: Sycer, and we're gonna need to stick around little bit more because we got a little bit more for you. We are going to be spending some time talking about the Winston Salem State University student who was arrested in a viral video after refusing to apologize to her professor. Yeah, that is a lot, and uh We're also going to talk about uh vis Vapo rub for our way black history fact, some stuff I didn't know. You know, black people, well are some innovators, man, we are. And when I found that out, I thought it was super cool and I'm really excited to share it with you. But first and foremost, let's discuss b a ba boba, how to become a better ally here on CIPI ciper. So today's Baba, let's send you over to a place we haven't recommended before. The u NCF that stands for the United Negro College Fund.
Speaker 3: Talk to them and it's just it's exactly like what it sounds like for those who didn't grow up hearing the mind is a terrible thing to waste in TV commercials.
Speaker 1: The United Negro College Fund is just that. Sounds a little old school, but it's because it's been around for a long time and they're always raising money. So I pulled something from UNCF dot org. This, by the way, is sponsored by Major Threats. For high quality men'swear, check out major Threats dot com. And again this comes from UNCF dot org, so it says happy holidays. Thank you for your support of uncf it's students and colleges this past year. Your tax deductible gifts have helped us support over sixty thousand students at our HBCUs and over one thousand other colleges across the nation. Your gifts help are talented and deserving students change the trajectory of their lives and help them to become the professionals our nation needs. Over seventy percent of them are pelgrant eligible. They're from households with serious financial need, and many are from communities and school systems that have been traditionally underserved. They need our help to get to and through College and we need yours, please give generously. So we've talked about Urbanly, we've talked about NAACP, We've talked about you know, we support a lot of orgs, a lot of black orgs, a lot of social justice campaigns. And I can't believe it's taken us over two years to mention the United Negro College one. But here we are today. If you feel so inclined to make a donation, of course, you can always donate to Civic Ciper. Our link is at Civicciper dot com. But today's baba. Once again, if you would like to become a better ally, consider the u n c F, the United Negro College Fund at UNCF dot org. Now, the angry black woman that feels very.
Speaker 2: Unfair, that's a good place to start. Yeah, unfair is a good place to start. It is a gross characterization used to legitimize unfair treatment, used to legitimize subjugation, used to legitimize hyper marginalization. Whatever you want to categorize it as right, the other ring of people. Let's paint a picture right, uncivilized and smart, uneducated, unable to properly communicate, so that I can justify the disrespect that will follow me identifying her as angry black woman.
Speaker 1: But go on, no, no, well said, I love that. Yeah, there's a lot going on here. Now I need to say this. This is a historically black college, right, That's what HBCU stands for, Historically Black College and University, Winston Salem University. The teacher is or it looks visibly Caucasian white, right, And so I want to be as fair as I can be. Right, So, if you are a white teacher at a historically black college and university, there's already some things that I might give you the benefit of the doubt, for I might not think that you harbor as much in the way of traditional racism as a person who might be employed at a non HBCU campus. Right. So, in other words, if you're white but you work at an HBCU, you might kind of know what's up. Right. But we've talked about this on the show before. It is possible for black people to be white supremacists. So it's possible for anybody short of that to at least weaponize the system against black people in a way that causes harm of a particular variety to that group, To our group. Two black women okay, so of course I'm gonna go through and read everything to you. But in short, what we have is a student and a teacher have a disagreement. Student is black, teacher is white. The teacher insists that the student apologize. The student insists that the teacher apologize. The teacher asked the student to leave or apologize, and the student refuses to leave and refuses to apologize and is awaiting her apology. There's a back and forth. Someone calls the police. I don't even believe it was that teacher in particular, but someone else called the police, please show up and arrest the student, and that's when the video picks up. So if you have seen this video, this is what this is the part that you're seeing. When the student is arrested and you can see her face, you start to realize this, this is not right. It's that same feeling that you get in your stomach when you see the police show up and arrest even little kids. And we've talked about videos or the police come to elementary schools and arrest seven year olds, you know what I mean. We've talked about how SRO student Resource officers help fortify the school to prison pipeline, because it's simply a matter of it becomes criminal rather than you know, just being disciplinary. Right, because we recognize that some students, you know their rules, and you know there has to be some structure. There has to be adherence to a set of rules and standards. There has to be hierarchy and respect and so forth in order for things to function. And if you go against that, then you set a precedent that other people could follow. You lose your authority and your capacity to teach, and then what are you really doing at the end of the day. But the overreach when it involves police who are tasked with dealing with criminal activity, and often I have sort of a bully mentality, god complex, that sort of thing, you know, And even if the individual officers don't, that element often brings that that with it. Right, you start to see like, I don't really love how this looks. I don't love this. This shouldn't be happening. There's got to be there's got to be a better way to deal with this stuff when it happens.
Speaker 2: And ironically, she doesn't just look because nobody looks happy being arrested, right, she she doesn't just look unhappy they're upset. She looks confused, right, like you at least understand when you've just committed.
Speaker 1: A crime, like, Okay, this sucks, but yeah.
Speaker 2: This young Lindy has no idea why she's being handcuffed, especially in light of the other person involved, the other perpetrator of the non crime that happened, being the one instructing the police. If you and I get into an argument and the cops show up, you shouldn't just be able to tell them arrest this man and the police listen, right, except if this man looks like Ramses and I am less mellanated, that outcome might actually play out that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, arrest him. He did this to me. Well, now I'm sitting in handcuffs on the side of the road. You know, you and I watched the video. Remember there was two children fighting in the mall, show up and they have to git one of the They sit the white kid down like wait here, and then they tackle and the rest of black kid. Yeah, and he gets to.
Speaker 2: Watch as a bystander or an audience. These kids were doing this whatever, the same thing. They were both the perpetrators of it, right, but by nature of just appearance, the black kid gets to be the criminal here. I want criminal element, if you.
Speaker 1: Will, I want to I want to say something and speak to that story. If I remember correctly, that white child did actually speak out against that behavior. I thought that was very important that he did that. And his name is not in front of me right now, of course, but it is possible to call out racism even if it benefits you, and he did that in that moment. Now let's get you through this story here. So again, my source material is bi innews dot com, so be sure to check that out. I've got a lot of great stories up there for me. Winston Salem University officials are speaking out after video showed the classroom arrest of a student who said she was detained for not apologizing to a white professor. Haley Gingles, I believe it is, a spokesperson for the HBCU told CNN that the now viral incident unfolded after quote what appears to be a disagreement over a class assignment between a WSSU student identified as Layla Marie on social media and a professor believed to be doctor Cynthia Villagomes. The university did not confirm their identities in a video widely circulated online, two police officers appear to handcuff the student as she repeatedly yells I hate you at her professor, mental health, anyone overwhelmed. You know, these are students in the world is crumbling around them.
Speaker 2: Angry that my police is my teacher, sorry, is weaponizing the police against me?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and then what do you do?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: You're the worst teacher ever. You get me taken out in handcuffs because I won't apologize, the student says per the video. Because I won't apologize, you started yelling at me. You tried to embarrass me about my paper. Following the incident, Marie took to Instagram to detail the events leading up to the arrest. The WSSU students said Villa Gomez informed her that a group assignment she completed was done incorrectly and needed revising just six hours before she was set to present it in front of the class. Marie refused to revise the project in the short timeframe, She said on Instagram. She came to class frustrated but ready to present the project as is. Phila Gomez said presenting the unrevised project would greatly impact her grade, which prompted a shouting match between the two, according to Marie. The university's chancellor, Elwood Robinson, released a letter addressed the arrest quote. We understand that the weaponization of police is a prevalent problem in our community. However, that is not what happened in this incident, Robinson wrote. We know the situation has caused a great deal of trauma to those involved and our campus community at large, but please know that every available resource is being extended to bring a resolution goes on. We know you want immediate answers, he continued in the letter, However, the speed of our processes does not match the speed of social media. Ultimately, we are committed to ensuring due diligence and fairness. We do ask for your patients as we must take the necessary time to ensure the safety of everyone involved. Disciplinary actions against the student quote will be under review at a later time, the WSSU spokesperson said. As for the professor, Gingle said, she is very emotional and shaken by all this. There have been several threats to her safety, which of course are cause for alarm. Now, I know that we live in a world that does not that does not here to heed the sensitivities of really anyone, but in particular marginalized people's individuals might be able to heed those sensitivities, you know. And I've seen in recent years movements toward understanding, acknowledging, accounting for, and even celebrating our individualities, our individual individualities. I'm not sure if that's I'm saying that right, but I've seen me too movement, and I've seen the world move a little bit closer to being kinder to our sisters, our wives, our daughters, et cetera. Obviously, the Black Lives Matter movement where we were protesting for police reform, you know, in my mind, that started with actually in truth in fact, it started with Trayvon Martin, and it picked up steam with Colin Kaepernick, and then it went fully global upon the death of George Floyd. So we've seen the world understand that there is a little bit more than just there. There. There may be some consequences, you know, there there's going to be people that will stand up right, but for the most part, the world does not really care about our individual issues, our individual sensitivities. And I don't think anybody on planet Earth gets ignored or overlooked more than black women. With that said, that in and of itself could create lots of things that we might need to be sensitive too. Right, no matter what, no matter what you say, a black woman is your mom. At some point in your history you would not be here. But it's not for her. That is as close to God as you will ever be on this earth, in this realm. Make sure I say that, right, that's in everybody to help. But hopefully you understand what I'm what I'm saying here, and you know, as a result, it is possible for there to be disagreements. It is possible for you know, black women to have be fed up, have their Rosa Parks moment, have that you know what I'm just not this is it take me to jail? Not saying that that's what this uh the student said, but standing your ground enough is enough. That is something that we see a lot of times. Black women in particular, they have to get to that point. And if you're not sensitive to all the other pressures that go into being a black woman, then you might look at this just like another angry black woman, not fully appreciating what it means to live in that skin, to live in that body to live in a world that does not appreciate what it is that that person has to offer fully right. Oftentimes, what it is that person has to offer is stolen from her, used by other groups, not she's not credited for it, and in fact, she's punished for it when it is her most authentic self.
Speaker 2: And this starts when our black women are very young. You know what I mean, from the creativity they create on social media as children. You know, the most popular dances and TikTok crazes start with young black queens. Right, someone less mellanated and more popular makes it famous and gets all the credit. There's no shout out, there's no tag, there's no nothing. You know, these young black creators, these young black women, turning these platforms into billion dollar platforms just off of their innate ingenuity, style.
Speaker 1: And talent.
Speaker 2: Having those things, as you said, stolen and taken away and in cases where not only are things stolen and taken away and credit given somewhere else, but I bring up children because they'll get in trouble for things that other kids will get celebrated for.
Speaker 1: Isn't that crazy? It's listen, man, go to fan base, get the app okay, fan base. If you really want to push back against that phenomenon that happens on social media, get fan base on your phone and follow Civic Cipher will be your friend. But yeah, so what do you do in a situation like this? I think it starts with recognizing that police in your world that's not the same as police in our world. The police may be the good guys in your story and in our story, oftentimes, at best, they are the people that we simply need to avoid. At best, oftentimes I don't know that there are many black people that look at police like, oh my god, let me go run, Like if you're a firefighter. Yeah, man, firefighters are cool, you know what I mean? Like they put out fires, you know that sort of thing. Police is like you have a gun. You know, this is you stay ready to end someone's life that that energy is not. And then often enough, the people, or rather disproportionately and unfairly, the people often look like me. So using the police to deal with situations that don't require police presence is something that we should be mindful of. We should be mindful that black women are not a threat in a way that requires a criminal response. Who's to say what the right thing is, but I can definitely tell you what the wrong thing is. Right. So we're all figuring out how to get through life together, right, And we're all figuring out day to day, using our own creativity, what are the best practices for ourselves and for each other as brothers and sisters. But I can say that calling the police on black women for anything sort of legitimate criminal activity is a flagrant overreach and the amount of scarring that that has not just on that woman, but on a classroom full of women that saw it and all of us that saw it too.
Speaker 2: Perpetual trauma, and it's a disregard for their physical and mental well being. We see the outcomes, Yeah right. I think one of the students even said when they were being interviewed.
Speaker 1: We watched the news.
Speaker 2: We see how this plays out. Why would we even play in those waters?
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, That's I think that's a better way to say it. It's a It's strange because far be from me to say, listen, if a person is black, they should be able to walk all over you. Absolutely not right, but maybe listen to what they're saying, you know, and if you can't reach an agreement, you don't go for the most extreme response, especially when that response has a drastic impact and the ripple effect goes well beyond the individual. And again, I think that a lot of times, less mellanated individuals are accustomed to calling the police just to deal with stuff that they don't want to deal with and anything that is not going their way. It's like Karen Energy, well, if it's not going my way, I'm going to call the police. The police are here to serve my interest and represent me. And again for black women, it's like this is why would you call the police on me? Do you want me to die?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And instance is where law enforcements should have nothing to do with the interaction two people handling a private issue. You grab the shopping cart before I did, or vice versa, you got the marking spot before me.
Speaker 1: The police shouldn't be called here, you know what I'm saying. And just again something to bear in mind, especially when you're dealing with black women. I think though, above all, if a black woman is that angry black woman, they've been through some stuff, it's probably best to just listen and then try to operate from that space. I think if you do that everybody has a chance of ending up with better outcomes. So I guess i'd like to thank you all for tuning in the Civiccer once again. I'm your host, Ramsy's Jaw.
Speaker 2: I am qward he is Rams's jaw. Thank you guys again. We appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Yes, indeed, hit the website civicciper dot com download any of our previous episodes. That's also where you can submit any questions, any topics you want us to cover, and donate because the show grows with your donations. We've grown a lot and we will continue to grow provided that you continue to support us. Be sure to follow us on all social media now we are at Civic Cipher on all platforms. You can find me personally at Ramsey's Jaw. You can find q at Imqwar, and you can find the both of us on the cover of Hip Hop WEK magazine this week, So check that out. All right, the rumor has it, And until next week, y'all peace,