Speaker 1: Welcome in Texans All Access, the Players Edition. We have a jam pack show today. You're also going to hear from Jimmy Ward on the Shuffle with Chase b and we have our good buddy you see him on the sidelines. John Harris is going to be joining us. But first Mark Vandermer, the Voice, and myself. We catch up with Eric Murray.
Speaker 2: In studio with us. Now it's Eric Murray, Texans Safety.
Speaker 3: Eric. How's it going today?
Speaker 4: Doing well?
Speaker 5: Doing well?
Speaker 3: All right, great to have you in.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 2: So it's Tuesday, it's players day off. You guys do a lot of stuff in the community, do a lot of region rehab, whatever you're re ing. So how do you usually spend Tuesday because it's an off day for you technically, but there's really no off day during the season, is there.
Speaker 6: No, it's not typically start today off. Just take my kids in school now on break right now, so I didn't have to do that today. Just come in, get some needles, do some red light therapy, get massage, just to work out the kings from the game, and just get ready for the week.
Speaker 4: When you go through your rehab process. You talked about red light.
Speaker 1: The massage is more or contingent on how you feel or regardless on Tuesday, this is your set plan.
Speaker 6: Yeah, this week the week sometimes your foot get stepped on or you might take a different hit. So whatever you're feel in for that week, just make sure you can kind of configure your plan to fit that.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I know, you know, my last year was in two thousand and eight, so I'm an old man, so I know massage, I know the needles, you know, but the red light explain that to me, and some of them.
Speaker 6: It's more on a cellular level, trying to kind of facilitate healing from that standpoint. So you know, as we go through life, we're influenced by lights, some like you know, sunset, So that's kind of the idea behind it, in these different forms of light to help heal the body from inside out.
Speaker 3: Well, this is interesting, all right.
Speaker 2: And the needles, it's kind of acupuncture ish.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's dry kneeling, the needles a little bigger. It's a little bigger, so it's more of a a more of a palpitation rather than acupuncture. Is like needle and then you kind of rest and you know, sit there.
Speaker 3: So does that hurt?
Speaker 2: I actually had this done once, indeed, because I had a foot problem playing basketball and Jeremy, one of the guys in there, he said, we'll try the needle and I was like, I'm not gonna look, and it does. You know, it feels interesting like there's a needle in your foot.
Speaker 3: Okay, So you go through this a lot.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it really anything that happens like right away, it helps alleviate it pretty fast, so you can kind of sense like if it worked or not right away.
Speaker 2: Are they hitting the nerve or something and knocking it out or not?
Speaker 6: Really the nerve more more so the muscle. They try to avoid the nerves, but you know, sometimes things happen, so I.
Speaker 3: Think it's a big distraction.
Speaker 2: I got a needle in me, so I don't feel the other thing anymore.
Speaker 3: I'm feeling the needle definitely.
Speaker 1: So a lot of guys like for me, you listen to the older guys. Brian Dawkins, you know, he really talked to me and taught me about cold tub hot tub when you were first in the league. Was there an older vet that you looked up to that kind of talked about this rehab process we're not rehabbing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, more so when I got I got drafted by Kansas City, So I follow it Bury around a lot, just watching him. How he, you know, took care of himself a lot of epsom, salt baths, a lot of sauna, and like you said, a lot of hot and cold tough therapy. He was religious with that stuff because he, you know, he played a physical game, so he had to take care of himself throughout the week, all right.
Speaker 2: So, Eric, at this point of the year, and maybe earlier in the year too, when you practice, is it more mental or physical right now? Because you want to maintain your body, maintain your energy for the game day. But you got to learn the schemes and whatever else you guys need to learn x's and those. Wise, how does that go for your practice?
Speaker 6: It's more it's a little bit of both, honestly. I think in the beginning of the season, like you, like you said, you're preparing, getting the body ready. But as you begin to taper down, I want to keep the mind as sharp as possible, but you want to keep the body as fresh as possible too, So it's a healthy balance.
Speaker 1: When you talk to some of the younger guys, Obviously, the ebbs and flows of a season ups and downs. I'm sure right now you know after the loss is feeling down, like, what are some of the things that you're telling the younger guy to keep the spirits up and let him know the big picture, the ultimate goal is still in reach.
Speaker 6: You got to take a game by game still like you know, at the top of our division and very much control our destiny. So continue to come out and put together consistent performances against our remaining schedule, and that's that's all you can really do.
Speaker 2: Is it a weird situation because we've only had this maybe once, maybe twice, really only once in the history of the franchise where you have this kind of cushion and you have a two game lead, but you don't want to see that evaporate either, do you guys think about that kind of stuff. You know that you're that you're in the lead, but you know the job's not done yet.
Speaker 6: I think just from what we've seen throughout throughout last week, you just got to come out and play every Sunday. It's you know, I think Kansas City what won by three points against the Panthers, so's you know, you got to come out there and play a best ball every Sunday, and you never know, however somebody's feeling that day, how they prepare it that week. It's the NFL, so you got to come ready.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: He's a good guy to ask. I'm going back a couple of weeks. But I've always thought that the fans buy into certain rivalries more so than the players. With you not being from Texas and I'm going back a couple of weeks for you, was the Dallas Cowboy game just another game which is important? Or was there a little added umph to it?
Speaker 6: Like you said, I'm not from here, so I can only get the sentiment I get from other people who was born in Texas, you know. So I feel like even if it's a lot of people who live in Houston that might be Dallas fans, and then it might be a smaller percentage of people who live in Dallas who might be Houston fans. So I just tried to catch the vibe from them to see, you know, how things.
Speaker 1: Went okay, okay, because when I played in Philadelphia and I grew up in San Antonio, they hated Dallas. So you know, they're like, we don't care what happens, just be the Cowboys, and part of me was like, I just want to win every game, Like I don't care that much who were playing. So I just did you know you're from Wisconsin, right, Yeah, so guy from Wisconsin. You know, I just want to get your film Cowboy week.
Speaker 2: So coach Rymes was in here yesterday, Eric Eric Murray joining us, and he talked about the team meeting, and we talked about the twenty four hour rule, but he said this week, I might let it sit a little longer because that one really hurt. But you wanted to kind of motivate you at the same time, How do you see that? And how is the team meeting? What can you tell the listeners about that?
Speaker 6: Anyway, Like you said, the sentiments was it was an embarrassing loss for us. I think we all as an organization and as a whole, we have a high expectation of what we want to accomplish this year. So you just lay that out and be transparent about it, and you know, look yourself in the mirror and find ways to improve.
Speaker 1: So you know, I'm gonna question you on that because I'm of the belief it's tough to win in the NFL every week, So why did you use the word embarrassing?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 6: I use that word mainly because of I think the expectation we set for ourselves coming out in the season, with the acquisitions that we had over the summer and stuff like that, So we felt like our ceiling was up here.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 5: So I think.
Speaker 6: As the season has progressed and some of the losses we took, I think our outlook looks a little different and it's just going forward. How do we continue to get better and grow?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 3: Good answer. I like that a lot.
Speaker 2: Playing Jacksonville on Sunday and these guys, you're in the division again.
Speaker 3: You haven't been on the road in.
Speaker 2: The division since opening day, and I don't know if that's a big factor or not, but you're on natural grass in the division. They're coming off a buy and they're gonna be hungry even though they don't have a lot of victories. What do you see on Sunday? How do you see this matchup?
Speaker 5: Division games always tough.
Speaker 6: Like I said, it's any given Sunday, and you always got to prepare that week for that team. So Tennessee got us last week. We moving on the Jags and you know we're going to do our best prepared this week and get it up.
Speaker 1: Speaking of preparation, you're a pros pro. I can just tell obviously you don't last in along this long, last in the league this long without being pros pro and the way you take care of your body. But as you prepare for this game, when you watch film at home, like what do you watch? You watch the receiver's movements? Do you watching formations? Like what do you look at?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 6: I try to go look at other teams that duplicate the same defense we have. So if they play the Colts or something like that, we might have the same front and then we might play the same coverages on the back end. So just look at how they attack those coverages, and I guess what that coordinator likes to do against that certain tree of defense, do you?
Speaker 1: So you look more big picture and not so much individual receiving running back.
Speaker 6: But I mean, at the end of the day, it's like a coordinator. He has tendencies and what he likes to do at the end of the day. So like the people out there, yes they matter, but he gonna call what he's gonna call in those crucial situations. So if you privy to those situations. I think you can, you know, make some hairl on those plays.
Speaker 3: Eric Murray with us when you're on the road.
Speaker 2: For you guys on the defensive side, the crowd has to be quiet or should be quiet for their offense so they can communicate. Does that help you guys communicating? The way the crowd getting into a bit of a hush while their offensive.
Speaker 6: Oper definitely helps in communication. But you, I think you still need that energy to feed on defense, so you just have to bring it yourself. But communication will be at an all time high, and we make some plays so we'll get the energy up there too.
Speaker 2: Because at home, you guys have signals and stuff like that, because it does get loud while you're trying to communicate.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 6: So we just you know, do the best you can and the crowd to help us out a little bit in that regard.
Speaker 2: All right, cool, I've got the Hot Takes brought to you by Campbell's Trucky Soup soup that eats like a meal. Be sure to pick up the new Nashville style hot Chicken soup at Kroger today. All Right, never mind hot chicken, I'm talking Thanksgiving here, all right, Eric and I know that you guys have worked to do this week, but what will you do about Thanksgiving?
Speaker 3: Can you share with us what your plans might be.
Speaker 6: I don't like Friday turkey on my own, so I do like a big air fighter.
Speaker 5: It's like a I.
Speaker 6: Can't remember the name of the oven, but I try to get a big air fire and I air fright the whole turkey.
Speaker 3: Wow, how long does that take to air fry the turkey?
Speaker 5: It don't really take that long. Really take about like two hours.
Speaker 6: So I typically I'm in the garage, you know, in the garage by myself, trying to do my best to be an adult.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, do you season it the night before?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I like dry Brian, and then I injected with some what is it, Tony sack sack the honey creole butter.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I just do that and cook at.
Speaker 3: The next That sounds good.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna come to your hands, just enjoy myself.
Speaker 2: So that sounds good, all right, But if you had to, and I've been throwing this question around, Nick Caserio, Demiko, Ryan's everybody we're talking to this week, you have to replace turkey with something else? What other main dish would you serve, you're putting turkey on waivers and now you need to replace turkey for your Thanksgiving dinner and Indy I want your answer also, so go ahead there.
Speaker 5: That's a hard one.
Speaker 6: And you know what's funny, I really don't eat turkey unless it's on things. See, so it's it's probably some type of I mean, you just gotta go chicken. I think that's the easier answer. Russian and have a little bit more uh variability with seasonings and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Se Demico said, Ham, what do you saying?
Speaker 4: Oxtail? Okay?
Speaker 1: Really, now, I guess chicken because it's big, a different pieces, so similar to a turkey, but the best better.
Speaker 4: I gotta go oxtail.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's the main that's that's coming out of left field. Okay, I like that. See that.
Speaker 2: See I want a national campaign to replace turkey with brisket. See I think if you serve brisket on Thanksgiving, everybody's gonna get really excited.
Speaker 6: Answer right there, Yeah, yeah, that's not Wisconsin.
Speaker 2: Wisconsin would be pot roast something like that.
Speaker 4: Maybe I've had the wrong brisket, but it just seems dry to me.
Speaker 2: Oh, you're going to the wrong places. Might Who do we have in the stadium here? Truth, they're good and there are many other good ones.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, okay, real quick favorite side?
Speaker 3: No, no, go ahead.
Speaker 6: I already gave my take on his dressing dressing stuff and that's what that's.
Speaker 2: My wait in Wisconsin. Do you call it dressing or stuffing?
Speaker 6: Well, most of my family is from the South, so oh yeah, that's right, call it dressing dressing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: See, I grew up in the North. I called stuffing. What about you?
Speaker 4: Is that your favorite site?
Speaker 2: There's no question it's the best, But you got it can't be too dry. If it's too dry, I'm like, give me the gravy.
Speaker 5: I gotta you know. And that guys, some cranberry sauce.
Speaker 3: You good cranberry sauce.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he kind of tapped into my answers. The cranberry sauce on the Hawaiian Rolls's that's that's now we're getting hungry here exactly.
Speaker 2: All right, Eric, thanks so much for joining us. Good luck this week at Jacksonville.
Speaker 1: Keep up the great work, brother. That was your safety. Eric Murray in studio with Mark and myself, We're gonna catch up with John Harris to talk all things Houston, Texans. That's next here on Texans All Access. Welcome in Texans All Access players. Addition, I am in dy Kalu. He is Mark VanderMeer, the guy you see on the sideline and you hear him throughout. John Harris joining us. All right, guys, seven and five living record, still send a time. Yes, but things don't feel good right now. I want to get y'all's take.
Speaker 2: Things don't feel good. Let's see you don't feel good coming off the loss. I feel like there's still a remarkable opportunity here because there is. Factually, there's a remarkable opportunity, and they just got to get it right. I mean, Demiko in the press conference yesterday, and I think too many people this is a side note here on press conferences.
Speaker 3: I get it, that's all you got.
Speaker 2: They're gonna pick apart everything he says, especially postgame. Come on, this is not the State of the Union address, all right, and I guess it is for the football team week to week. But at the same time, he's not going to tell you exactly what he's thinking, exactly what he's telling the players, exactly what he's talking to with Bobby slowick about he's not going to reveal all that stuff, but he talks about some of the positive things they're doing.
Speaker 3: And I know people don't want to hear.
Speaker 2: That, but they're making some sensational plays. If they cut the mistakes by twenty five percent or a third, my gosh, what they could be. So they got to get it done. I still think they have the chance to get it done, don't they, He says rhetorically.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean, yeah, I don't even know if it's rhetorically. I mean, I think the question has to be asked because because they're not finishing games.
Speaker 3: Five interceptions against Detroit.
Speaker 8: You lost eight sacks, a pick six, and two fumble recoveries against the Titans and lost. So this team has in some sense, sort of I don't know the right way of saying, it lost its way in winning games and finishing those games. Now, Green Bay one of the better teams in the league. He lost on the last second field goal, right Detroit Argua with the best team in the league. He lost the last second field goal. You went to New York, and that's the New York game. Is the one that's kind of like the head turner, Like I could if you would have said to me, the Texans are going to lose to either Jets or Titans, I would have thought probably the Titans.
Speaker 3: Really, it's a division game. It's a weird game.
Speaker 8: And I always go back to this and Indy, you know this better than anybody. If you haven't, if you have a weakness and the other team has a strength at that particular weakness, it's gonna get exploited.
Speaker 3: In this league, there's no doubt.
Speaker 8: They've got Jeffrey Simmons and Devandre Sweat sitting over there, and I don't even think it matters who's over there on the Texas side. That's a massive figuratively and literally advantage for the Titans. And that is what they are able to take advantage of those two guys inside because they shut down the run game completely and then the quarterback ends up playing like the guy they thought they were drafting. So I would have thought, yeah, Titans, I could see it. It's the Jets game that bothers me. It's still because it's like they had to come up with two miracle catches too, one handed catches. It's Aaron Rodgers. Look at the Jets. The Jets are a mess. But we played them on a short week beat up after the Colts game. No excuse, but you don't want the digs injury at that point. I just think there's been a there's a game every now and again where you just go, Godly, you gotta shake your head, like, but those games in which you have five interceptions and eight sacks of pick six and two Folmbel recoveries and you don't win either one at home, Like, something's bizarre world in that now're trying to figure that out.
Speaker 1: Do you all take any comfort? Because there's always this thought like if if we're a Detroit fan, you're excited about what Detroit is doing, but then you're wondering, are we peek into early? You know, if you're a Baltimore fan, you might be saying the same thing. Is there any comfort, And I'm not suggesting there should be that you have confidence that they fixed the issues, but they're still going to be in a place where they're going to the playoffs, they're going to win the division, and by the time they get into the playoffs, they're gonna be hitting on all cylinders.
Speaker 2: They got to fix the issues first, though, I mean they will, well, we all agree there's a lot of room for improvement, and there's some time, not a ton, but some time for improvement. The question is will there be improvement, and that's what they have to prove in these final five games in the regular season that they will be better.
Speaker 3: I think we brought this up with Eric a little bit. I think that it's.
Speaker 2: A weird time in this franchise's history where you have this lead in the division, you haven't clinched yet. You really weren't even going into the Tennessee game. A better seed, like a two seed, was still very far off. It felt right, not impossible, but far off. And then you feel like, well, we're not gonna blow the division, are we.
Speaker 3: It's a weird dynamic.
Speaker 2: I almost wish and this is the first time I'm saying this on the year because I talked about this with Johnny before. I almost wish the Colts were winning because to put a little more pressure, maybe that would sharpen the edge a little bit.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: That's just a theory I have, and I could be totally wrong, but I feel that way.
Speaker 3: That's just one of the thoughts I've been having.
Speaker 1: I get feeling that way. But here's where you know, I differ from that thought. You know, you're saying that you wish Indianapolis or any AFC South team was winning more but was threatening. Yeah, but as players, and I could be wrong, As players, you're not really looking at the standings really, so in my opinion, the players are from my experiences say the players aren't looking at the standing saying, you know what, we have a two game lead.
Speaker 4: If we win, we win. If we don't, we don't.
Speaker 1: And I know you weren't simple that point, but I don't even think that enters the mind. Really, that's more us, you know, media fans on the outside looking in.
Speaker 8: So I think I think the best game I say in air quotes, the best game the Texans have played this year. The first half against the Buffalo Bills, the first half against the Detroit Lions.
Speaker 3: Right now, what do those two opponents have in common? They're really good. They're really freaking good.
Speaker 4: YEA.
Speaker 8: Now in the second half, you could, you know, against the Lions, you could argue, man, CJ just hit tank for that. It's thirty to thirteen, over knows how it opens up. I think that with this team kind of to your point, D, I feel like this team sees the Lions, or sees the Bills, or sees the Chiefs, and it's like strap them up, boys, let's go. And there's that. You know, we know we're in that category. Now we're going to go show it. I don't know that in those games that they knew exactly how to finish it because they got such big leads and it was like do we keep attacking and how do we go about this? It's if they can make adjustments in the second half such that and I'm not talking about exton nose adjustments. I'm just talking about mindset adjustments of we got to go put two touchdowns on a board and second half we can't get to a point where since Week six, how about this? Since week six second half touchdowns for the Texans one Derek Barnett won, Jimmy Ward won, and the Texans offense one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was gonna say one offensive touchdown.
Speaker 8: If we can get to a point where we're executing better in the second half, I think in those games when we do play those teams and we have those opportunities to play the Chiefs and the Ravens and then playoff games, if they come to be I think this team will show up that much more. I just kind of feel like that's that's this team. The thing about it is, I think to be able to win it all, you obviously have to beat those teams. And so having a two game margin I think is good because it does allow that, all right, well we just stepped all over ourselves against the Titans, but it does take out any opportunity more and more than likely if you're thinking down the road about a seating where you're gonna play that playoff game at home and then have to go on the road in the second round, So you're really gonna have to put that to the test because you're gonna have to play the Bills, the Chiefs, the Ravens, the.
Speaker 3: Steelers on the road.
Speaker 8: Are you then going to have that same mentality like that you've had against the Bills and Alliance, like we know we're in this class, we know we're this good, but can you do it for sixty minutes? And so I feel like it's one of Jacksonville is going to test that because it's Jacksonville. It's a place you haven't lost since twenty seventeen. Yet they've got enough athletes and enough players especially if Trevor plays to make it difficult and it's down in their place, and so it's a weird place to play in a sense that you know, you kind of have to bring your own energy to their building. But if they start getting in the game, those fans can be all over you and it can be kind of tough. So I don't know, it's it's tough Indy because I feel like I feel I want to say, I want to believe.
Speaker 3: That last week was the wake up call.
Speaker 8: I want to believe that I want to believe last week was the wake up call. You can't just roll your helmet out there and expect the teams to lay down for you, because they're not going to. So if you want to finish the season with something, then it starts in Jacksonville. You get a bye week, and then you can finish the last four games the way you want. To your point, it's man Mark said this, when's the test due? When's the test due? Because if I know when the test is, I can study the night before the test. I'll be good. We all did that. We're all smart people. We all studied the night before the test. We were fine, But we knew when the test was, when's the test for this team? What is the test for this team? Is it going to Jacksonville and playing well? Is it Miami at home against the hot Tua? Is it on the road to Kansas City? Are those all tests now for the rest of the year. So I think that's that's the question. It didn't feel like Sunday against Tennessee was a test, and maybe we weren't totally ready all tests, So I know, I know it should be that way, but it should be, but human nature tells it. Did you feel like going in walking in that building, either one of y'all on Sunday that you were like, yeah, the Titans have got a chance. I mean, we felt like they had a chance. But did you honestly feel like they're gonna beat this?
Speaker 3: No? No, you didn't. You kind of felt like, all right.
Speaker 2: I thought the Texans would take care of business. I learned a long time ago that my feelings have no bearings right on the thing. So people ask me, how do you feel? Are you kidding? What are my feelings have to do with how they're going to play today?
Speaker 3: You know? And that's the thing.
Speaker 2: Dan Riley, he was around when you were playing right, Dan Riley told me a long time ago, and the any given Sunday thing is so true, because anybody can rise up and play great on a particular afternoon. We'll see how the Titans do down the stretch here. Levis made some really good throws. Obviously, they ran the ball well, they played well enough on defense up the middle, whatever, and they got the job done. But what about that d How are the players feeling right now? Because you talk about, oh, they don't notice the standings that much, but they notice the losses, and they've lost four of six and they can't be feeling that great. But they have to find a way to feel really great and up going to Jacksonville.
Speaker 1: I don't want to repeat myself, but the feeling after a loss when you're a good team is this hurry up and get on the field, just so I could get that takes out of my mouth. So that's something that I believe they're feeling. I think they're chomping at the bit. You know, obviously they want to enjoy things, but they want to get on that plane. They want to get to Jacksonville, and they just want to taste victory more so than they want to taste that turkey because when you lose a game that you're expected to win, that you feel like you should win that game. And most NFL players go into every game feeling like they should win, no matter how ridiculous it may sound. Carolina like, let's look at the big picture. If anybody would have said, or if any Carolina player would have come out publicly and said, we expect to be Kansas City, most of I mean, y'all are football people, so y'all respect it, but most people are like, they're stupid, but then watch the game like they almost did it. So my point is every single NFL player goes into a game expecting to win. But after a loss like that, and Eric Murray even mentioned it. He didn't disrespect the Titans, but you know he mentioned without saying verbay and we're a better team, we should have won that game. That's when you really want to just get that bad taste out of your mouth. And as far as the Test, I think that's awesome. The analogy. I don't know if the test is an actual team like Miami Kansas City. I think the the test is can you score in the second half, because if you want to pass the final exam. If you want to pass the midterm, it's not even about who's in front of you. It's about fixing what you're doing in the second half. And it's an interesting problem because is it play calling, is it player mentality? Is it preparation during the week, And I'm sure the answer is a little bit of all the above. But that's an interesting if I'm the coaching staff, if I'm Demko, like I'm getting the whole crew, the entire staff, at the table and be like, hey, what's like, what can we do to make sure the success we've had in the first half we have in the second half, because it's not even just about maintaining the lead. There's gonna be times in the playoff where you have to get the lead in the second half, so you really have to be explosive. So that would be I would love to be a fly on the wall in that meeting of the minds with the coaches, even if I'm Demiko. If I'm Demiko, I'm even meeting with my defensive coaches and saying, hey, is there something we should be doing during the with our scout team to, you know, to make sure that in the second half where we're as productive as we've been in the first half.
Speaker 8: You brought up something and d at some point, oh, oh, I know we were talking with Miko. I want to ask you this, And I asked him because that loss wasn't sitting well with me, I could imagine it was sitting well with him. And I got a pretty good read on him because I'm the last person that talks to him on Sunday, getting my postgame interview with him, I get a pretty good read on how he's.
Speaker 3: Kind of feeling about things.
Speaker 8: And I knew when he walked out of that room he was feeling a lot like I was. And so I asked him about the whole you know, twenty four hour rule, you know, and you know, I said it feel I said, how hard is that to really apply to yourself? The twenty four hour rule? And I was like, can you really apply that? And this was, you know, Monday. I can't remember what time we were talking to him, probably like three in the afternoon, so it was about twenty four hours. Said I don't want to forget. He goes, I want to remind these guys all throughout the week of what happened. And I was like, interesting. Okay, go with that thought. I wanted to kind of see where he was going with that, But his basic premise was, I want these players to be reminded of what happens if you don't if you're not in the details, if you're not in your in your playbook, if you're not doing the things and paying attention and just having an overall swarm mentality. Did you ever have that a situation, Indy where a coach there was a loss and a coach just kept holding that over your head the following week or the following weeks because maybe you did something wrong in practice and you're like, man, you did that wrong against Dallas and they beat you, and now you got to face you know, the Texans and they're gonna beat you. Do you have coaches that would hold that, They wouldn't let it go.
Speaker 3: They just kept holding that loss over your head.
Speaker 1: The bad ones, you know, in that way where they keep bringing like a you know, like a wife that brings up something you did wrong seven years ago, so they hold on to that. Yeah, And you also have to get a feel because it's not even a bad technique to bring it up. If your players are reading the press clippings and they think they're better than they are. And I've also had coaches where we had a horrible game and we didn't even watch film on that game and memory, yeah, and that's something that very rarely happens. Like in the NFL, you watch every single game. I mean, keep in mind, this is the league where you watch every snap at practice. So in a game, good or bad, you're gonna watch every snap. But I've had I remember, it only happened a couple of times in twelve years, and I think both times with Jim Johnson May Soul Rest in peace, our defensive coordinator with the philw Eagles, And I remember the one time he walked into the defensive meeting room said that wasn't us. We're not even gonna watch it, and we just moved forward to the next Wow, and I think I had a bad game. I was like, who, thank god. I remember thinking like, I'm glad you know we're not gonna watch that as a team, because there's nothing worse than watching a bad play in front of all your brethren, you know, a bad play that you made. But obviously I wasn't the only one. So but the problem with this team you know, fast forward twenty twenty four, Houston Texans. There's been multiple, you know, performances. So I don't know if you do watch it as a team and you you focus on the little things, or if you just say, you know what, let's.
Speaker 4: Move on to Jackson.
Speaker 3: Well, they've already watched some of it. Yeah, it's too late.
Speaker 2: It's too late to change Tomiko's mind on anything for a while.
Speaker 8: Apparently, I think he said fifty to sixty plays, and knowing the way that coaches with the coaching clicker, fifty sixty plays could have probably taken a couple hours.
Speaker 4: It's not more.
Speaker 2: Look look if this guy does this, Look this is a touchdown, or this is a prevented touchdown, or whatever the case.
Speaker 4: Every play is more than one.
Speaker 1: When Chigg the tight end for the Tennessee Titans, scored on that seventy yard trust me, that wasn't one guy. So you're watching that play and you're probably watching six or seven mistakes.
Speaker 3: I think that three les exactly. I went back twenty times.
Speaker 2: I think that play blew his mind in a bad way. This is just a theory more than any other play in the game. The fact that you have a four point lead. You'd rather have more, but you have a four point lead. You're kicking off to them, make a stop, get it back. Let's try to get out of the game, right. It's been a bad afternoon. We've got the lead. Let's not let go of the lead. You lose the lead in one play. It's not like they meticulously drove down the field and got it in the end zone one play. I think that really burned him to see it go like that and then all of a sudden you're up against it again.
Speaker 1: It's funny, said that Mark. That's exactly that was my thought process before the touchdown. I was like, you know what, this has been a quote unquote ugly game. They score their ahead. Now they're just gonna get a three and out and we're gonna win the game. Then we scored the touchdown. Chicka quote quote the tight end, who's not even that fast? And I was that before you You literally just expressed my thoughts before he scored that touchdown, And when he scored, I was like, Wow, make him.
Speaker 2: Work for it, because you're getting after Levis all day. You're getting after him, You're making life tough for him. You've gotten one turnover already from him, and there could be more, but you limit your opportunities obviously by allowing one play of seventy yards and they score.
Speaker 3: So that's it.
Speaker 8: And the thing about it is they allow that play and it's so easy.
Speaker 3: Nobody, I mean really nobody touched him.
Speaker 2: I mean basically they could have gotten him down and then re lo.
Speaker 8: I mean he's wide open. First of all, okay, blew the coverage gonna make to stop. Then you don't do that, then nobody can catch him. So it's like everything that's wait, he's gonna I'm watching from the other angle. It's obviously running towards your side, Mark, where we call the games from, and I see him.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I guess somebody a game. Somebody's gonna stop. No. Mark keeps saying he's running, he's running. It was like a bad dream. It was. It was like one gun get to him, you know.
Speaker 8: Just now the defense's gonna have to all right, listen, explosives all year defensively have been an issue, and they've got to They've got to prevent those things.
Speaker 3: Things got to stay in front.
Speaker 8: Guy's gotta tackle better, I mean to Miko's talked about that a lot, but it's really got.
Speaker 3: To come to the forefront this weekend.
Speaker 2: But Andy, what about Okay, you have that play we talked about, and you had a tremendous special teams play out of Damian Pierce to open the game, and you have Kimi Fairbarn who's a great kicker, but he misses twenty eight yarder. You also had, oh I forgot to cover up the ball in the end zone. Oh my gosh, and you know that occurred, and then you had a bobble and you just had weird stuff happening throughout the afternoon that is so preventable. And again it you know, I get it, people make mistakes, human element, all of that, but you gotta be tighter than that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, false start. I'm upset with that. I want to get tighter. As you mentioned, when it's covering up the ball in the end zone. You know that's something you're like, come on, guys, we're in the pros. Let's fix that. Believe it or not. Commie Ferburn missing that field goal, I was like, that's that. That's an outlier. Like that didn't even bother me. I mean, he made a fifty four yarder and he's been awesome all Like.
Speaker 4: To me, that was like, damn game time one.
Speaker 1: No, I get what you're saying, and I'm not giving him a pass because I like him, which is saying a lot.
Speaker 3: That wasn't the reason you'll lost that way.
Speaker 1: And that's not going to happen. You know that's not going to happen frequently. I was like, Oh, that's that was a freak of nature. So it But it's the mental mistakes, leaving a receiver a tight end wide open, the multiple false starts.
Speaker 4: Those.
Speaker 3: Touchdown Yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: Those are the ones that those are the ones that are really tough to accept, and those are ones you better watch multiple times in front of the whole team to not to shame the guys, but to shame the guys because you don't want that to happen. But no shame for any of you. Listeners. Definitely appreciate y'all joining us. Tech is All Access Players Edition coming up. You're gonna hear Jimmy Ward joins by Chase B on the Shuffle Podcast. It's Texas Radio Final segment Texans All Access Players Edition. You're gonna hear from a Chase B as he catches up with Jimmy Ward on the shuffle.
Speaker 7: How you feeling, bro?
Speaker 9: I feel great, man.
Speaker 10: What's the deal before camp though? What was that looking like? What was some of like for you? Were you traveling with you more family baseball?
Speaker 7: What was going on?
Speaker 11: Both went to Alabama a few times. I was raised in Mobile, Alabama.
Speaker 8: Yea.
Speaker 9: Went to the Midwest. I was born in the Midwest.
Speaker 10: What's like the differences with those that's like, I feel like that's like polar opposites for especially weatherwise.
Speaker 9: Yeah, definitely weather. Yeah. Food, food is different.
Speaker 11: I'm saying some good food down south with Alabama, but they're big on like it's the base so they with the golf, so they big on seafood. And Midwest you kind of got a bunch of different foods. You got a big, big, big Italian group out there, so Italian food you got. Partillo is one of my favorite restaurants.
Speaker 9: That cheese, fries.
Speaker 11: Yeah, good dairy products because of Wisconsin got all them dairy farms and it's the culture out there. I like both, but not gonna lie. Chicago's up there with Houston with the food for sure.
Speaker 7: No, I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 9: Bro.
Speaker 10: I always say this and obviously I'm from here, Do not cancel me. And then this, but I think that Chicago has the best food in the country, just because, like Houston, you come here for a certain reason, right, It's a lot of Cajun food, Like, especially after contrining everything happened, we got this whole influx of people from Louisiana that really influenced all our seasons and all our sauces and all that type of stuff, And we.
Speaker 7: Have amazing food. I definitely think we number two.
Speaker 10: But you go to Chicago and they're just so good at everything, you know what I'm saying, Like they got jerk egg rolls, they have an Italian food, deep this pizza, all this type of crazy. I just think Chicago's they might have a little edge when it comes to like expertise when it comes to but you can't go wrong with either one, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 9: I agree with you. Yeah, I say that.
Speaker 11: I tell people that all exactly gonna want Houston too, So it's right there and there's nothing wrong with picking either one.
Speaker 7: So Jimmy, bro, you got here last year.
Speaker 10: Last year was the first season with the Texans, right after spending a lot of time with the Niners. How's it been just you know, just the whole adjustment coming to a new city, new new squad and you was already in captain like already last year, right, So.
Speaker 11: Yeah, that was that was different, Oh captain thing. I was like, I was like, all right, what like respect?
Speaker 10: Just somebody outside looking at what other like responsibilities as I have. Obviously on the field, you have certain obligations and responsibilities with that see on your jersey, but just off the field, like, does that come with a whole different like energy of like responsibility to take care of what.
Speaker 11: I would say, I say, I would say it doesn't. But then again, I feel like it's it's a big responsibility. A lot of younger players looking up to you, watching you all the time. So and I just feel like the way of how I go about my things and go about my work, I feel like I feel like I'm a natural natural happening. So I just kind of do, like try to do the right stuff. Basically, if I'm answering your question for.
Speaker 10: Not literally and and what you was at where you was at San Francisco, the Miko was there?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 4: What you were there?
Speaker 9: Yeah, Miko was there? Yeah, I think Miko was.
Speaker 11: At first he was a position coach, and then he ended up getting to DC and I watched him end up getting.
Speaker 9: A head job.
Speaker 10: And you've been killing it ever since. Man, everybody seems like they loved the Migo around here. We gotta get him on the show one time.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, you gotta get me.
Speaker 10: I was watching him while I was growing up watching Texas, I was watching Miko, So we got to definitely gotta have them on the show. But so when it comes to all these adjustments and all that, uh, you know, playing for different teams, different coaches, especially at dB, you might switch around a lot. When it comes to you might play corner back, you might play free, safty, strong, safety.
Speaker 7: You have a pressmen, when it.
Speaker 10: Comes to which one, which one do you think you excel at the most, and which one is the most fun?
Speaker 11: Oh man, I would say I wanted to play safety when I first got there. I didn't really know how to play corner, but somehow I want the job. So corner was the most It was the biggest challenge for me, but that helped me overall game at safety. And when they put me a nickel, and which is I played nickel on college safety nick at college.
Speaker 9: So really the the funnest position is nickel.
Speaker 11: If they use you right, I would say yeah, because you get the blitz you get, you get man coverage, you get zone coverage, and it's really really like you're like a hybrid linebacker.
Speaker 1: We continue with Jimmy Ward and Chase b on the Shuffle podcast.
Speaker 10: Let me ask you or interception interception? Yeah, it's not even close.
Speaker 12: Now it's now if it's a sack, strip, sack, take it to the crib. Okay, because you get a sack and you get a tackle and you get a force and you pick it up and score.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, yeah, we go to celebration this year.
Speaker 7: You got you got some of your mind if you touch his zone.
Speaker 9: Man, I gotta stop flipping in his Yeah, I.
Speaker 7: Seen that one. See, I think everything I see.
Speaker 9: I got, I got, I got, I gotta. I might have a dancer too.
Speaker 11: I don't got I can't think of nothing coming. Man, it might happen, bro, I'm gonna do something for sure. What's the this last question about football and just per se right now?
Speaker 10: What do you think like is the overall kind of like the tone of the defense right now? I feel like just even watching the Textans for the last couple years, I feel like the tone is just switched. Especially in the playoffs last year, I was just kind of looking like all these they they it's aggressive. It's like a real it's a unit now. One before it kind of felt like individual players. Now it feels like it's a whole force of Like the Texans play very aggressive, very on the ball defense. So have you seen have you noticed like the switch and the energy?
Speaker 11: Yeah, definitely physicality and you know, having a group of guys back with a majority of the group of guys back for this second year, so you know, guys out there playing fast and we know where to be and then we're playing off each other. We added a few guys off a free agency in the draft, but you know it's it's follows suits. So when you got younger guys or guys just coming from different teams, you know, they watching the guys that been here and it's easy. Okay, this is how he goes about it, this is this is what he sees, and this what he does. So it's just like plug in and play and our twos and threes is just as good as the ones coming in hot.
Speaker 10: For real, suiciding football bro. I noticed they sent me a note man that you actually wrote. I read a little bit of it too, but you actually wrote nutrition book.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 4: What year was that?
Speaker 11: It's like three years ago. I started on it like three years ago and it's out is publishing there. Yeah, yeah, what made you want to do that? Just because I didn't know how to eat and what to eat when I was young, right for real?
Speaker 9: And I used to always try to gain Yeah.
Speaker 11: So yeah, I used to try to gain weight, and because I was trying to get offers and stuff, and it's like I need to put on weight really that I feel like your weight doesn't have to do anything with it, Like you're fifteen sixteen, the weight gonna come. But it's about being strong. But besides that, so I just wanted to teach kids. Uh, we just teach kids what I learned as I got older, because I didn't learn how to eat and what to eat, and I started training for a combine and then I didn't get sleep. Talking on the phone to the girls, I probably get a protein shake and pit water and it really couldn't afford a bunch of milk, and just knowing like how to eat like lean grill food or lean meat, not too much red meat, chicken fish, a bunch of rice, and a bunch of fruits and vegetables organic if you know, that'd be the best type of type of vegeon.
Speaker 9: Fruit, more fresh.
Speaker 10: And so I just try to share that with the kids, not supporting man, especially now with all these you know, you know a lot of ether having like heart problems and heart conditions that they don't even know where these things are coming from. It's just, you know, it literally isn't what they eat. And if you could prevent it, you know, that would be a very important thing. And with adults as well. So I wanted to ask you if you could, because the book is called The Nutritional Abcs for Active Kids, if you had an adults version of this book, what would you think adults need to know? What to come of the certain abcs of nutrition.
Speaker 11: How to sleep, how much to eat right, don't starve yourself like people thinking starving theirself is a proper way to losing weight.
Speaker 9: Now you still gotta eat. You just need to.
Speaker 11: Up your veggies and up your fruit to just eat clean and then just let's let's meet. Let's like yo, I think the protein that you sussed to eat is supposed it's supposed.
Speaker 9: To be like the palm of your hand.
Speaker 11: And wise, yeah, portion wise and grains too, less grains and you're trying to gain or wait, you just gotta eat more grains, more protein, more grains. So and about sleep and then recovery too, like when you're working out. You know a lot of people were trying to, you know, kill theyself in a workout, but you know you're eating off. You gotta do everything you gotta You gotta have a proper recovery and a proper diet balance. You know, for everything to work, just do one of the three. You gotta have all three. I'll talk about the balance, man. And you know, check this out.
Speaker 10: If we was doing an adult version of the ABC's Nutrition, I got one letter we got to take out. Man, We're taking this letter out. We're taking out the letter. Oh all right, all this O zipic and all of that, We're taking that letter out. We're just gonna take the whole concept of that and just throw it away.
Speaker 7: You know what I'm saying. We're gonna get the healthy the right way.
Speaker 1: You fully, you're listening to Chase B and Jimmy Ward on the Shuffle podcast.
Speaker 10: Even in league for a while, What is your favorite stadium.
Speaker 4: To play in?
Speaker 11: Not gonna cancel me if I don't say Houston, willn't I want to say It's okay, always the home you want to be home.
Speaker 7: But if it's.
Speaker 11: Away game, uh, the environment down the street New Orleans. Just man, I played there on the primetime game and the lights just went off the first time playing what what?
Speaker 7: What year was that?
Speaker 11: This is the year we went to the Super Bowl when I was playing for sant France and then lights went off.
Speaker 7: It's like, dang, it's dark.
Speaker 11: Then all of a sudden, the lights just start flickering and everybody phone just start flickering.
Speaker 7: And then they just.
Speaker 9: Who they say? Who they say?
Speaker 3: Who?
Speaker 9: They say, it's gonna beat them safe.
Speaker 11: I'm looking then at the highlights just start going on and off.
Speaker 7: Five words.
Speaker 9: I'm like, all right, we got us a game.
Speaker 7: Now, the super definitely got it. I'll saw him into an actual football game and there I got. I gotta check one out. Well, what's your least favorite stadium playing Lambo?
Speaker 10: Was that?
Speaker 11: Just because it's old Lambo, It's got to be at a certain time, Limbo in December, January or February.
Speaker 7: You can't.
Speaker 9: You can't feel your body.
Speaker 11: You go out there the first even and walk through as soon as you get off the bus. The first three minutes, your fingers and your toes go numbs over.
Speaker 7: It can't even feel it. Soldier Field, it's the same way it was Lambo a little bit.
Speaker 11: I've been playing the Soldier Field since I was in college, so yeah, it's not as bad. I think it gets kind of tough towards like when it when it gets colder outside, but it's not as it's not as worse as Limbo.
Speaker 10: As Limbo even Buffalo, Buffalo others Bad only went up the Buffalo one time.
Speaker 9: It wasn't cold, so that.
Speaker 7: Might be a different beasts up there. You've seen them throw the snowball.
Speaker 10: I'm like, yeah, I want I'm not visiting that after after October it might.
Speaker 7: Be over with for the Buffalo.
Speaker 9: Yeah that's yeah, hopefully, I don't.
Speaker 11: I don't know, you never know. I might end up playing in that one time. Yeah, yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 10: Aside from playing though, what's your favorite city of the vas I know we talked about New York a little bit earlier.
Speaker 7: In the same Letstons of the World and Pargol and all that. Is there a favorite place you just like to visit off the field?
Speaker 9: Chicago?
Speaker 7: Chicago?
Speaker 9: Still Chicago, just because the food and I.
Speaker 11: Went to school up that way and I got a lot of family members and friends from College Street. Yeah, down the street, So it's yeah, Chicago. But other than that, I'm in the city where I want to be at.
Speaker 9: Yeah, for real, Houston.
Speaker 4: So you like it here?
Speaker 7: Yeah, we gotta love Houston, man.
Speaker 10: After what would you think we talked a little about a little bit about nutrition. Would you see yourself coaching Nutritian's coach is just getting your whole you know, just kind of you know, entrepreneur that way or.
Speaker 9: Uh that's I thought about that.
Speaker 11: I may do a little bit in that field, fill the work, you know, since I kind of got my masters degree in football.
Speaker 9: So exactly where stay around there? So, uh, I don't know.
Speaker 11: Uh, I feel like I'm gonna have my hand in a few different pots.
Speaker 1: Pulling up bron That was Jimmy Ward joined by Chase b on the shuffle. That's gonna do it for us right here, Texans All Access Players Edition on behalf of Mark John myself happy Thanksgiving, Go Texans.