Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning. The Breakfast Club Morning, Everybody's DJ Envy just hilarious. Charlamagne the God we are the Breakfast Club Lawn. La Rosa is here as well. And we got a special guest in the building. We got the good brother Harold Wilkerson. Anybody gonna know who that is?
Speaker 2: Harry Old.
Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen, what's up, brother?
Speaker 3: What's going on? What's going on? Everyone? Thank you for having me? L L Lauren?
Speaker 1: What's up?
Speaker 2: HARRYO? Got a new book called It's Beyond Words, which is out right now.
Speaker 1: And you talk, you're talking about.
Speaker 2: The art of calculated communication.
Speaker 1: Yes, what is that?
Speaker 3: Great question? So the art of calculated communication? Let me just rewind a little bit for the room who may not know or those who don't know in the room that besides an entertainment executive, I'm also a college professor and I've been teaching communication courses for maybe twelve to thirteen years.
Speaker 1: You know that if you're gonna go that far, let's go all the way back there. You know, HARRYO. It was started off as a rapper. Yes, that's originally know HARRYO. He's from high Bridge, He's from the Bronx he s throught up as a rapper from and it was signed to the Ink. Yes, signed to the Ink. You was a hype man for Jo Roll for many years and then you stop rapping and now break it that. Well, first of all, how did you meet IRV and everybody and go through that whole list of things?
Speaker 3: Great question, So let me rewind, right, So first I started entertainment business. I had a deal with Uptown Records first with Andre Hrrell and everyone over there. God bless it that level favorite favorite, right best for R and B music, all right, So I was maybe like in eighth grade, so that came went. Then I was working with Puff for a while. Whoa, oh that bad boy. Yeah, listen, I know my guy's going through a lot. But I got to give him a lot of credit for helping me of where I'm at today. Like I have to give him his credit because I probably wouldn't be here without the image of him.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, we can't take away what he did professionally.
Speaker 3: Professionally and what he and what he did for me in my life. Person He did a lot for me and and I you know, tell you about it if I have time, Like he stuck up for me plenty of times when executives tried to blackball me and things like that. Puff found out about it, step in like you, now, you're not doing that to my guy. So I got to give him this credit. So from there we transition quick. I had to deal with Motown, they had to deal with murder inc Right.
Speaker 1: How many deals do you have?
Speaker 3: About four deals starting at eighth grade? Starting in eighth grade, started in the eighth grade. Like, I've been doing entertainment for a long time. So now fast forward. Let me just tell you as far as me and Ja, I met Ja on the set of a movie called Turn It Up. Right, You're not gonna remember me in the movie because they edited me out through movie.
Speaker 1: You're not gonna remember me.
Speaker 3: But you if you look at the credits, you'll see me in the credits or whatever. So the movie was shot in Canada, So we traveled to Canada. Right, I'm there with my manager. We're trying to get into Canada. My manager at the time, he gets arrested for some reason. He can't get into Canada. You know how that goes. So now I'm just I'm young. I'm in Canada about to shoot this movie. I'm by myself. I'm a little nervous. So my trailer is right next to Jo's trailer. But I would always see Ja in the Violator office because we was working with a violator death Jam. But we never really, you know, knew each other. We saw each other, we passed. So I'm in a trailer. He knocks on my trailer door, so I opened up. He goes, yo, you signed a death Jam, you signed a violator. I'm like, nah, my god, my song this, and we're doing work over there. He goes, man, I hear you here by yourself and your manager got arrested. Listen, anything you need, come to my trailer. If you need weed, if you need hennessy, if you need anything. Joe has been trying to get me high since I met him, Right, yeah, I don't do any of that. So from there, John and I had a connection. That was his first album, like right before his first album came out. After this album came out, he blew up and took off, and you know, my career was going wherever it was going. But anytime we would see each other, it would like we would stop everything and give each other love. And then I met Chris Gotti, Irv's brother, somewhere in the club and he knew I did music. He said, listen, won't you come down to the studio. Went to the studio. So I recording records with IRV, records with Ashanti records with Joe. Next, you know, a brotherhood form where although me and Joh came in through entertainment, that's more my brother like that, that's my guy. And on I said before my company chased Republic, we serve as like an independent agency form. We close a lot of different deals like I do with you. I and we'll talked about made a lot of money together. But more importantly, that's that's my brother, that's my guy.
Speaker 1: So now so now you get out of music, and music never takes off. I see.
Speaker 3: You can look at it that way, right, you tell me, well, I had the transition. I always say this, right, somebody can ask you, like, how do you view success? Right, So in your eyes you may say Harry Yo as an artist wasn't successful, and that's fine. You can see it that way. I don't view it that way. I view it as I came into the entertainment business in eighth grade. I made a life out of it. I'm sitting here doing an interview on a breakfast club, not a rapper.
Speaker 2: I'm not always doing you as an executive. Like that's how I always looked at Harry as an executive. I never even knew anything about.
Speaker 3: Like being a DJ. Yeah, there's been plenty of times where like I would have to wait for E outside of the radio station, try to get music played, like we have that relationship you and I met later on in life as being an entertainment. Exact the same thing with Lauren, like you and I met. First conversation I have with you, it says, Listen could probably make some money with you, right, Yeah, and that's how it went. But he just knows a little bit of the backstory. But yeah, so it all depends on how you want to look at it as far as you're not being successful. But I made a life for it, my dad, Listen, I paid her tuition. That's entertainment. Do you understand her private school tuition, which we all know is very expensive? All through entertainment. So someone asks, hey, you weren't successful, I don't know. I wouldn't say that. I say I think them pretty well.
Speaker 4: Are you probably about to ask this, Well, then I'm interested in know so from the artist's perspective, then you transition into the executive side because of the relationships.
Speaker 3: And what is that transition because.
Speaker 4: You started at eight, an executive is an adult making real doark decisions.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, it's two folds to it, right. As I said, I've been a college professor teaching communication courses. Now with communication to understand the art of connecting with others, we're first connecting with yourself. And what we were talking about. Once I understood and fully came of who I am, a higher sense of awareness of me, I understood my abilities. I understood how I can build relationships. So I just started to build and form credible relationships with people, building trust, but in a strategic way, not in a manipulative way, just very strategic and like I can talk a lot about me and MV because MB and I made some money together and our relationship build, and I was intentional on how we're building our relationship. So what I did is I just merged the world between entertainment and education and made a life.
Speaker 2: So what is the art of calculator communication? And how has that helped you? Okay, got to get through all those different worlds.
Speaker 3: So the art of calculator communication and to make it sure. Because you can talk about this all day. But what I would do is this, right, say with Lauren, for instance, right I met Lauren at the Brooklyn Nets event. Now you said, hey, Lauren's on her way here, can you send somebody to get it in Immediately, I'm like, all right, I know who she is. I absolutely know that we can probably do business with her.
Speaker 1: Lauren was two hours late, by.
Speaker 4: The way, I wasn't gonna say, is like driving to another planning and it was raining, but I will pull up for y'all later or not.
Speaker 3: We had an event in the Barclay Center for the Brooklyn Nets, which are one of my partners, and I hire you to do different events. So he while we're there, he's like, listen, Lauren's on the way, can you send somebody to get it. You know how difficult it is to get someone inside the Barclay Center when it's closed, like it's really closed at this point. But I understand I have to be a little bit strategic. I want to build a relationship with this young lady possibly do business. So we sent an executive to go outside and figure it out to get her in now as she's in. I understand it takes more than one encounter for us to start building some type of relationship, but we have to have that first encounter. It have to be a genuine encounter. It has to be maybe someone can help build that bridge between you and I, and I use June. June em he's manager. Whoever's listening. I said, June, ju me in favor, let her know, stamp me right, let her know. So June went to you and said, Hey, Harry, yo, this is my guy. That's all I needed to start building some type of communication with you. Now, to make it a little bit shorter. In order for Lauren and I to build a relationship, I have to get her to peel back hilarious. I have to try to get to know her. The closer I get to her, the more of a chance I have of doing great business with her. I just can't pick up the phone and say, hey, I have a bunch of deals for you. She doesn't even know who I am. Yeah, we have to build trust. So I have to get her to pill back layers. I have to ask her questions. But if she never responds, like say, if I say, hey, as simple as this, Laurna, how was your day today?
Speaker 4: Great so far besides dealing with Charlamagne.
Speaker 2: But other than that, I'm the best part of her day the other day.
Speaker 3: What are your plans tomorrow?
Speaker 4: We have a flight. We're going to la for the BT Awards. Me and the team at the Breakfast Club. Wow, well, not them, but the producers and stuff.
Speaker 3: You have a lot of work at the BT Awards.
Speaker 4: We do the latest with Laurena Rose is in the radio room for the first time ever for two days.
Speaker 3: Pretty cool. Congratulations, I love that. Now check this out right. So I would have to work a little bit harder now with Lauren because although I asked these questions, and I know we're on air's a lot going on. I asked her how it was her day, right, and she said how what they was? She didn't say, how is yours? Too?
Speaker 4: Oh shoot, sorry, so's I'm intating the next question.
Speaker 3: I know I would know it's fine. I'm interested in knowing about her day, but I want to see how much interest she's holding in me to know about me as well, and sooner or later that would come. This is our made me like our second encounter, But if I can't get you to have that exchange with me, I have to work a lot harder and be more strategic and to get you to communicate with me.
Speaker 1: And if you never do that, it's right.
Speaker 3: This person doesn't have any interest in building with me in this area.
Speaker 4: I think also too in business. I've never had a business interaction where my first thought is to say, how is your Like most people come to you just like so, like, this is what I want, this is what I need. So you just kind of sit and listen and then you try and think through can I even do that with everything else that have happening.
Speaker 3: That's the problem with communication where I don't want any communication with anyone to feel transactional. And I'm only using NBA as example because we made some money they give me through business. NBA and I have a relationship where NBA called me at five o'clock in the morning and we're talking about dance.
Speaker 1: We're not even talking about business, we're talking about dance. He's like, Yo, do you do this with your daughter?
Speaker 3: Look at these classes? Check this out. How did it get there?
Speaker 1: It got there through.
Speaker 3: Strategic communication and connecting and building. If every time I seee it's just hey, I got a you got B sooner or later. If I don't have a anymore, or I'm in a downside, I can't get either really pick up my calls because we don't have a connection. If I'm making sense here.
Speaker 2: You are making sense what I will say, hate small talk, right, So when I hear that conversation with you and law and I'm like, Okay, what does he want?
Speaker 1: That's what I was thinking.
Speaker 2: To what I'm saying, I'd rather you just get to it. And I don't think there's anything wrong with a transactional conversation. Like you know, if you have something to offer me and you think that I'm a person that can help you execute something, bring it to the table. That's intentional conversation.
Speaker 3: Now here's the thing that may work in your professional world. It may not work in your personal life though, because communication. Listen to understand communication will be the key to your professional and your personal life. That may be okay for your business relationship, but not every personal relationship. Not somebody that's just trying to build a genuine friendship with You don't want it to feel transaction.
Speaker 2: That's what you're trying to do. You're trying to build a personal relationship with lawn.
Speaker 3: Well, for me, my success comes when I'm building a relationship with a person where we have some type of friendship. If we have some type of some kind of friendship, like we don't have to talk at five o'clock in the morning, but we have some type of action, some type of friendship, it's a higher ratio that we can do great business together.
Speaker 4: I think people there are some people that would argue against that though, because I mean I think too. It's kind of like the background that you have, like knowing the type of like music and era that you come from. You value that, but a lot of people don't have values today. So it's like I don't want to be your friend. If we're gonna do business, will do it, and then we determine what that looks like after.
Speaker 1: I won't say this though. The one thing for people listening to me, Harry O is like Steve stout right, And when I say like Steve stout that might.
Speaker 2: Not be a good thing for some people.
Speaker 1: No, well, let me tell you, I'm go politest I made. He connects businesses to people to talent. So for instance, okay, he had a one of his clients was East New York, which was a show that was on out of Channel nine or whatever it was, uh, And he called me one day and was like, I have a part for you in this in this show. I'm like, bro, I'm not acting. I'm taken acting lessons a long time. He was like, nah, I really want you to read the script and try it right. And I'm like, because of our relationship, I was like, no, let me give it a shot. And when I did it, it went well. They loved me. They wanted to bring me back for more episodes. But what impressed me more was, you know, I know Harrio from a street rapper, like from the Bronx, like gangster rapper, so but to see him being a guy that's in the middle of East New York and me we're in the trailer, but he's teaching a class in the middle of me shooting on as a professor. And I'm like, this is amazing because you see how people evolve, you know what I mean, And a lot of people don't evolve, a lot of people still want to be the toughest, hardest rapper at you know whatever agent. It just doesn't make sense. And I appreciated that. I'm like, because he revolved. But that relationship, like you said, was the reason why I trusted you to try East New York. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, And to Laurren's point, listen, Yeah, when we discussing communication Shaul and everyone, it's all theoretical, like what I'm saying may not work with you or resonate with you. It just happens that it resonates with me, and it's been proven to be successful for me. And like I said, I'm glad he like mentioned that because he is a testament to what I'm saying. As far as how we build this relationship where it's trust, I call him and say, Vy, I'm gonna put you on TV. Is a network. We're doing this cop show, wants you to act in it? All right? Cool? After we discussed whatever the logistics are, he doesn't even have to think anymore because you're like, you know what, I trust Harry, Yo. But we built our relationship to that point and I was intentional about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I give you saying like the established a real connection. I think the established a real connection has to be some form of real communication.
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely absolutely, And I think guard too depends on because like there are certain times where like if people approach me to do certain things and they say that they've worked with Charlamage or Envy, I'll call them and say, hey, do you know this person?
Speaker 3: Like is it?
Speaker 4: Because nowadays too, because you turned to this chapter or page in your book you talk about like the influencer. You talk about like media being the beauty and then the beast being society because of the way that things are distorted or like shown online. With people in business, you never know what's real and what's faked. So it's like you got to kind of like hold up what you want before you even be like, let me allow you to enter what I've worked on.
Speaker 3: Right, absolutely, And for me, it is building your reputation. I'm not sure if you heard the saying people meet your reputation before.
Speaker 2: They meet you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, your reputation. My reputation is in this room before I walked in. That's the only reason I was able to get it. So I know, building my reputation, that's a form of knowing how I connect with myself, knowing how I see me and how what I project for others to see. And if my reputation is solid, people will vouch for it, so yes, absolutely, and he represent me. I mentioned media and manipulation in the book as well, which is really really important. And if I have some time, can I touch on it all right? Because in the book I mentioned I brought up Shine in the book and the shooting that happened X amount of years ago, And this is really important that I don't want to seem as like I'm poking a hole at Shine or picking at wounds anything like that. Now, Sean was arrested for what, Like, what did he get arrested for? What did you do? So it was.
Speaker 1: Assault or something man shooting a gun and illegal fire.
Speaker 3: That's when somebody else to say, that's all okay.
Speaker 1: That's why I believe it thiss George and illegal fire? All right?
Speaker 3: So what happened? Meaning what led him to do that? And it's not only that Sean that has these issues or that had these issues a young a lot of young people in our hip hop culture had these issues. Now, let me connect it to media, manipulation and representation. Media, how we describe it is any way you receive information, any way you receive thoughts, right, So it could be the movies you watch, it could be the music you're listening to. So if you are young and you not understand exactly who you are yet, you're not connecting with yourself. But every time you see you, it's in the wire, it's on these shows, of these criminal shows. All the music you're listening to is telling you who you are. You have to be this, you have to be that. All of these images in media creates a distorted image of who you supposed to be. But that distorted image can cause a real life consequence for you. So when I look at somebody like Sean and others, and I can recall, like Sean saying the reason why I brought it up, I was there, like I was there for this whole thing. I remember Sean saying to someone, I'm not gonna mention the person's name, but he said, I need people to see me and respect me the way they respect jay Z. Right, And it's like, all right, but what you know of jay.
Speaker 2: Z is, yeah, you don't get different busting your gun.
Speaker 3: But something manipulated him to feel that way, right to do that. But it's all about what he's singing in the media and the music you're listening to and the TV show you're watching all of this is polluting how you feel about you and who you think you have to be.
Speaker 1: I have to be this. I need you.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not Rick Ross, the uh the officer. I'm Ross. I need you to see me like that. But all of that is manipulating you. And if you're not understanding who you are, it's going to cause a real life consequence for you. And that's what happened with Sean. So like when I look at you, right, this is a brown girl grinding right. It's important that I brought my daughter here today to see what we see in this box. What we see this is a beautiful brown sister who bullied her way onto the show, who's making noise, making moves, she's covering the Diddy trial, and she's killing the outfits are crazy, crazy, crazy in a good way crazy. So no, and as we're viewing her in media, we're looking at her. This image is important because a brown girl is watching and seeing that and that reality is something that she can obtain and it's something that's authentic. Outside of that, it can cause a disruption if you understand what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So now I got to ask you with murder ink for a long time. How was the passing of Earth have affected you? Because you know Irv in and outs, and we've had conversations about it and conversations about his health. So how has that affected you?
Speaker 3: Well? The passion of Earth is still like in disbelief, right when I'm talking about Irv or you know, up in conversation to say, all right, rest in peace Earth God, Like, it's really weird still now, the passion of him. I see how it affects me and everyone around, Like I am very very very close with Jah, right, and Irv and I were really cool, but I'm closer with Jah. It affects me because in this way, no one may not know this outside of his family. Earth is such a family family man, right. I have never seen a family as close as his in my life. I've never seen it so. And he was like the hero of the family. And for no disrespect to anyone else in the family that's doing great things, but he was like a hero. And so for the hero to pass, and see how that affects the family dynamic, it made me how it affects me may become closer with my family, like Irv is the type where listen if it was holidays. His house is packed with the whole family, not just him and the kids. It's nieces, it's nephews, his aunts and uncles. It's like thirty people running around his house. And it was just a loving, loving, loving family. Lot of people didn't see that side of them. You see murder inc. You see the music, or you see the problems with the city sent or whatever, so on and so forth. But the guy was an amazing family man and to watch that and as a father, yeah, it affects me. I want to be closer with my family the way IRV is with his family. So that's how I would say to.
Speaker 2: Fame, you know what's in est when you talk about the art of communication, like, I like the way of communicated. It may have rubbed some people the wrong way, but I like it because it's direct. Like when we talked about how you know, it was intentional. He wasn't a small talker. It was this is what we're doing, this is how we're doing it, this is how I think it should go.
Speaker 3: Right. I like that, No, listen, absolutely, it's something to be admired there. Everyone has different strategies on how they communicate. IRV being direct may work for him with certain people, but I'm quite sure it didn't work whatever, it didn't work with everyone, right, But so it all depends on what your style is. And I was thinking about something. Yeah, some people don't like small talk, and that's fine. Like in the book, I mentioned a term called farming and hunting. Those are different ways of nurture and a relationship. When we're cutting the small talk out with I'm hunting. I know exactly what I want, I know what you have. We know we can make that work. But every relation doesn't work like that. Sometimes we have to find we have to plant seeds. I don't know where the relationship may go, but I know we can possibly build. So I'm a plant seeds. Then we just water the seeds, water the seeds, and next thing you know, we're eating off the fruit from the seeds. And it's really important. Yes, I'm an entertainment executive. So all we're talking about is how these theories affect in business. It's in your personal life as well. If a young man is trying to get to know a young lady or vice versa. Is ways you go about that. You have to be intentional, you have to be strategic. Yes, what is your goal by dating this woman? That's transaction. Cut the small talk doesn't work like that in your personal life, right, you have to farm. Your daughter is seeing someone, they're not engaging. Nohing like that.
Speaker 1: No, I'm sorry, he's twenty.
Speaker 3: Three, right, But that young gentleman, he had to farm the relationship with Madison, he had to farm. It wasn't a transaction to a hunting relationship. It doesn't work like that. He had to be intentional, farm, plant seeds, whatever those seeds are, check up on it. No, her birthday, No, her dad's birthday, so on and so forth. So farming and hunting are two different ways of building a relationship.
Speaker 2: And you talk about the diher between interpersonal and interperson.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, So the first form of communication, the most important form is your intra personal I n tr A. That's the conversation within how you see yourself? How do you connect with yourself? What do you think about yourself? How do you evaluate yourself? If you can't evaluate, if you don't possess ability to self evaluate, then you got to disconnect with you. So everything how I feel and think about me, that's my intra will depict my inter my interpersonal relationship. So you know, Charlemagne, you say something that hurt people. Hurt people, you say that a lot. Right, It's something internally that's got to disconnect. Since they're at a disconnect internally, they're at a disconnect externally with others. So when you understand who you are in your intra and you've reached the highest level of who that person is, you understand who you are, you understand what you can do, and I understand how to connect. I can connect with others better because I connect with myself at a certain level. So intra depicts how your inter will turn out.
Speaker 4: You also talk about in your book hip hop and how it shaped you as a man, both good and bad. How does that speak to your communication?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 3: So yes, hip hop aiding me on the path to self actualization of being the man who I am today. And I mentioned this in the book and I'm gonna get the gentleman credit where I heard the term, And I tell you, yes, hip hop got me on this path. But I have to have accountability and understand that also some of that content in the music could have caused a self destruction, some form of self instruction, like some of the artists were you know? I was mentioning in the book I mentioned, are we the heroes? Are all we the villains? And I heard this term through a pod. Know it's a ted talk by the guy of Crete and you're gonna make a documentary about it. Suit to him, Yes, salute to him. So I want to give him his credit. He mentioned hip hop? Are we the heroes or are we the villains? Are we? The reason why I mentioned this, Yes, I'm a child of hip hop. I have the credit hip hop for being taking me where I am. But also there's things in the music that's villain like that can cause you on the wrong destruction, wrong path. We glorify the person that's coming home from jail before we glorify the person that's going away to college. Right, We do a lot of that in this music. So are we the heroes? Are all we the villains? Now? What's the difference between the hero and the villain. A hero has the same attributes as a villain, But a hero becomes a person becomes a villain through trauma. Some type of trauma can make you become a villain. You look at anything and non thine of fiction. Batman, his parents got killed and he became this if you can the joke or something happened. He became a villain for these reasons. What term hip hop music villain like? The crack epidemic? The crack epidemic, as far as in my theory in this documentary with shooting, the crack epidemic shaped and destroyed hip hop music into the way where it turned into more villain like and the music and the content that's in it. So are we the heroes? Are are we the villains? I understand that hip hop made me a hero, but I also understand some of it could have made me a villain as well.
Speaker 2: In my last book, Get On as a Die Line Watch Small Talk Sucks, I have a whole chapter with basically the same thing. I'm just exploring hip hop's ability to be a positive and self destructive force. Listen literally, like I think that if you come, if you're a certain age, at some point we got to have some accountability.
Speaker 3: At some point. I'm glad we feel the same way because that's at some point you have to have accountability. I'm never disrespecting my hip hop music. It made me who I am, But yes, there are images, it's things that we put up on a pedestal. If we don't have accountability, we are causing poison if we don't know how to steer that ship in the right direction.
Speaker 1: But is it also how it's cultivated? Right? And the reason I say that is if I put a gun on the table and you use a gun, that could be a negative thing. But if I teach somebody how to use the gun the proper way, in the right way, and what to use it for, it's a positive thing. Same thing with hip hop, right, yes, hip hop. All those images we've all seen, all seen. But my parents, especially my dad, cultivated me to look at things a certain way. I never sold crack, I never sold drugs and I never used cocal crack or nothing like that because my dad cultivated to me to like, no, this is what this is for. These are messages from here. But that's not You don't make that you you know what I'm saying, So it's not different. Second, it's all about side with your daughter. Your daughter dances, she listens to hip hop music, and I'm sure she might dance to some stuff that's a little salacious, but you tell her this is cool for this, But that's not.
Speaker 3: You listen and there's a job. Like you just said, your dad, Your dad was dead. Like I always say, you know how you take a kid bowling, and they got to put the barriers up so the ball can go down. That's what parents are, right.
Speaker 1: We are the.
Speaker 3: Barriers and we need both. We need both because you have one parent and that ball could still gut her that way, right, we are the barriers to keep the kids going forward. So your dad was that to let you know, like, yeah, this is what the world is, but that's not what's good for you. Listen, there were times, Yeah, my daughter dances, he dances to hip hop, and she's not gonna remember this. We're getting the car and I wouldn't play no hip hop in the car at all, none whatsoever. When she was younger, when she was maybe four, five six. It's not going to be certain shows on TV. No disrespect to any of the shows, but certain shows, excuse me, certain shows wouldn't be on television because I'm trying to shape her mind to see a certain way. Now we can listen to certain music because I see that the barriers are working.
Speaker 1: I see who this young lady is.
Speaker 3: So yeah, we could listen to hip hop, and I would rather have listened to you know, Drake than over some other artists. But yeah, we have to be those barriers because in hip hop we could be the heroes. H we could be the villains.
Speaker 2: That is a fact, Seductive Communication. You leave that chapter blank in the book. Why it just says to be continued.
Speaker 3: Right, So when I first wrote the book, I wrote the book in twenty twenty during the pandemic, when I started now as a college professor, there's different chapters in the book, right, So I'm going to answer your question quickly. We start off with intra personal communication, the conversation within. So if I'm teaching the class and it's the first day at the semester, and I say, all right, Charlae, welcome to my class. Did you take any communication courses before mine? And you may say, uh, yeah, I took a leadership in communication class. I'm like that was your first communication class. Communication should be taught with prerequisites in a certain order, right, So the first order is intra. Then I go into inter Then I speak about culture and communication. I speak about media and communication, power and leadership. I'm taking you on a journey. Seductive communication is sort of like the final level of the book on how you use seduction to communicate and not seduction in the sense of a sexual form, just knowing how to seduce someone's mind to navigate in a certain way. And the reason why I left it blank because I have to be a part two to the book.
Speaker 1: Now, come on, I got to be a part two to the book now as a professor, right, you know, I look at college courses as sometimes outdated. Yes, right, And that bothers me a lot, especially with my kids, you know, going to college because a lot of things that they want to learn or that they're into a lot of times these colleges don't necessarily teach, right. My first major was communications. I left communications, who went to business management and marketing. But for me, what I wanted to learn from communications wasn't helping me with what I wanted to do, right. Communications was a lot of reading, a lot of interro a lot of this, a lot of that. But I wanted to be hands on this stuff like that. So talk about some of the courses that you think should be in college and some of the things that should be taken out of college.
Speaker 3: Right, that's great, because I.
Speaker 1: Have no disrespect a lot of the algorithms that I learned in college I don't use.
Speaker 3: I've never used. And if I have to, I have a computer that will do absolutely. Now it's two parts I want to get into. Now. Some of the courses out in college, I have to be really careful because I'm still a college professor and I don't want the college to be listening right now. So I do believe there should be more entrepreneur courses in college. We're going to need AI courses in college. We're going to need real estate courses in college. You're gonna need these things in colleges now. I believe certain colleges are doing it. Jar Rul's son shout out to Jordi. He just graduated from SCAD in Atlanta, Savannah, I'm sorry, Savannah, and he was home for his sister's wedding and we were in the kitchen at Jo's house and he was saying, how all these different courses that he's taking that gut that it was never available to me as a student. So some of the courses that we're talking about, like we've been out, we've been removed from college for a little bit. Some of these colleges are doing that like teaching him how to cold. He can build games, he can do all the things that I would never even.
Speaker 1: Throw it up.
Speaker 2: My daughter has been talking about.
Speaker 1: She like, that's what.
Speaker 3: But like even when John talks, He's like, listen, I've visited campus, and I'm like, I've never seen a school like this. So yeah, I do think we need those particular courses. Now, let me just rewind as far as like a communication course I mentioned in the book, I credit Eddie Murphy to where to one of the reasons I'm here today. In the movie Boomerang, Like Boomerang is one of my favorite movies, it seemed like he was a marketing executive. He garners so much attention for woman. He was smart, he was he was everything. I'm watching this and this goes back to my repensation. I'm watching this movie, I'm like, I want to I want to do that. I want to know how to do that. So I was in college at the time. So I went to my counselor. I said, listen, in this movie, this guy Eddie Murphy play Marcus Grant, He's a marketing executive. How do I get into marketing? She said, well, you need to understand what communication is to understand what marketing is, I said, well, Samnia for all communication courses. X amount of years later, I'm doing marketing strategies for my own company, so I needed that course. I needed these courses to be able to do what I'm doing.
Speaker 1: Now, gotcha, Well tell him where they could get this book.
Speaker 3: Brother, You can get the book on Amazon. Right, if you're listening, you could just type in Harold wilkersons to be typing HARRYO. Nothing's going to come up. People always make that mistake too, but that's a different story. Yeah, but you can get the book on Amazon and a search engine just putting It's beyond Words by Harold Wilkerson and then to pop up. So please get the book and one of the lessons I want you to understand and learn to leave it off. I close deals with the WNBA and I close deals with the NBA for going over six six or seven seasons now. And it all started for me attending one basketball game. I attended a game, and it went from the person who handed me my ticket to go sit on the floor, and through strategic and intentional communication, I started closing deals with the CEO of the New York Liberty, the CEO of the Brooklyn Nets. Like it went from attending like how do you attend a game? And then fast forward you closing deals with the owners and CEOs of wnbas and nbas and you hear all that and you pick up the book.
Speaker 1: All right, Harry, Old ladies and gentlemen, pick up the book. It's beyond words available.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Appreciate you, brother, Thank you.
Speaker 3: Do I get like the whole thing when they'd be like, Yo, tomorrow, I'm gonna you on the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: Can we close out the show first? I'm sorry, it's Harry Yo. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning. Wake that ass up in the morning. The Breakfast clubm