Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of trend square ball drop reference to times squares ball drop, which is my square. That's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good.
Speaker 1: Gross face Killer on the Discord and it's fucking good. Shout out to gross face Killer for that, and for also making the football card of David Lesser's. So David Lesser on the Discord said, I know it's too late, but when JM McNab our writer comes on, I always think Jonavan McNab thought of the McNab and then gross face killer made a a baseball card or a football card of it. Every time I've seen Jam's name since then, I have thought Jonavan McNab Uh. So thank y'all for that. My name is Jack O'Brien. I'm thrilled to be joined in our second seat by the brilliant and talented Andrew. You know important is this racist? And many many times being on the show, Andrew, how are you doing New Year?
Speaker 2: I'm eating just insane amounts of salad.
Speaker 1: You can Yeah, that is the word. I actually heard that before you even came on. People are talking about it in these streets.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. You know what I'm saying that's mainly what I've accomplished.
Speaker 1: You hear how salad Andrews eating.
Speaker 3: Salad.
Speaker 1: That's a crazy amount of salad. Man. We had a what's the wind equivalent of a rain out? A blowout?
Speaker 4: We've got blown out, got blown out, blown out, a blowout today and can't be with The wind in Los Angeles is such that like both Miles super Producer justin, both of their power is down.
Speaker 2: That is wild. I will.
Speaker 3: I am at a south facing window and it's unbelievably right right now, but I'm sort of in if the wind is where it seems to be. I think I might be just in in the uh, the leeward side of the mountains, because I'm really not seeing much where I am.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, wind is trade and like if you're closer to the mountains it gets really intense. But it is La is very weird. It has very strange weather where sometimes it'll be so windy they'll be like, I don't think.
Speaker 2: You should drive.
Speaker 1: It's like, wait more, you should drive.
Speaker 3: It's hard to know because it's like at some point in recent history, the entire proposition of Los Angeles was that the weather was very even and fine. Yeah, and obviously that climate is changing allegedly natural reasons.
Speaker 1: You see how cold it is in the Midwest.
Speaker 2: Come on, that's crazy, It's crazy.
Speaker 3: But I do think part of it is like the absolute inability for you know, post nineteenth and twentieth century Los Angeles' infrastructure is not designed to handle much no, and so we're getting it basically fails at any given opportunity.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is. It's like a hothouse flower, you know, is.
Speaker 2: Like delicious and beautiful orchid.
Speaker 1: That has never had to phase a stress test of any sort, and when there is danger, it shatters and falls falls apart. Brian the editor has this lord job? Is La the New Windy City more than eleven? Very well?
Speaker 2: Yeah you should.
Speaker 3: Producer Victor asked if I if I could come on the show. I immediately said yes before checking my own internet connection or power, and.
Speaker 2: Then realized that probaly was unwise.
Speaker 1: But I am here the last two men in Los Angeles with internet.
Speaker 2: That's right, Yeah, we are the Internet. We we are the Internet.
Speaker 1: Wait, I am legend. Let's talk about Meda.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just just a cool company that has understood definitely didn't get lucky one time, but has understood human humans and human interaction every.
Speaker 1: Now was not just somebody who happened to cash a winning lottery ticket and has let that convince him that he is an all consuming genius.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: God, he this look so so uh Narksucker Nerd put on his you know, gen z hair and big chain black tea and addressed to the nation and said, uh, basically, guys like we're Maggan now.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He announced on the Corporate Meta blog that he is basically all in on free speech and wants to fit in with the incoming regime. Like it's just straight up like he's just like, yeah, Trump is right about everything. We want to be in the Trump business, and yeah, it's basically everybody getting in line as fast and as shamelessly as possible.
Speaker 3: Here, Okay, this is this is I know this has been a bit of a drama. I have been beating since the election and a little before the election.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 3: I know that there's been a lot of this handwringing about like, look at all these media companies getting in line, and I'm a little I just want to raise the specter of using the present tense on getting in line, and may be incorrect I'm just they're.
Speaker 1: Really change in their tune from when they were doing the right thing for all those years.
Speaker 3: All these things are exactly like everything that Zuckerberg says he's going to do. If he's a very free speech I guess I'm a little just like unclear the ways in which this wasn't already happening. I should say free speech in massive square quotes obviously.
Speaker 2: Sure. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Has Facebook not been clear Nazi propaganda for the last five years?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Am I missing something? Yeah?
Speaker 1: They had a fact checker department that was bad at its job, and you know, like so they had a fact checker department because there were like things like mass casualty events caused by Facebook rumors in other countries, and so in order to like, you know, be careful about liability and things like that, they instituted fact checker departments. And now they're like, well, we're not doing that in America anymore, because it was he specifically, he's like, we're going to get rid of a bunch of restrictions on topics like immigration and gender. They're just out of touch with mainstream discourse.
Speaker 3: So, I mean, I don't know, it's like, yeah, they've been racist and fucking transphobic while they had these things. I guess I'm like, I understand this will be quote unquote worse. Yeah, but I will just kind of slow a little bit, caution that people.
Speaker 2: Like the hand ringing the hands should have been wrong.
Speaker 3: I'm just not really like, I don't know what really how much like this is he's the same person, he's just saying it.
Speaker 2: But these things are so cool now, yeah, he does. He does look lit.
Speaker 1: It looks so tight. Did you see that one video where he was like wakesurfing with the American flag.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's just a fucking huge Nazi dork. But he's been a huge Nazi dork this whole time. Yeah, so I don't know, I mean, all all the things that, Yeah, it's it's just like the getting in line of it, like look at look at all the capitulation, and it's like, I'm sorry to tell you that this capitulation has been happening or.
Speaker 1: It's just there in their official corporate communications. Yea, Like McDonald's just announced that they're rolling back their diversity goals.
Speaker 3: But like that also is like none of those were instituted by the government. These were all based on their perception of the market, and like, I guess we'll see whether they're right or wrong. But like, you know, the people haven't really like changed that much. It's just like, you know a lot of people are low information, don't give a shit, and you know, feel economic pain that both political parties are giving to them. So like, I don't know, man, I just think this is going to be this is going to go like the thing that was making online spot like places care about since quote unquote censorship was not the government, It's the fucking market, and like we'll just see, Yeah, Facebook will be more Nazi than it was, and don't use it.
Speaker 1: I will say that a lot of my politics were driven by just what Joe Biden told me to do, yeah, for the past four years. So it is going to be a little tricky for me now that I don't have my guiding light, my true north there to tell me what to do. They also just deleted a bunch of AI profiles. Yeah, like so they created like fake AI people on Facebook. There were like just bots for people to interact with. And this is going to surprise people who have been following all of the AI developments. But they looked like shit and didn't work. Yeah, you pointed out this Goldman Sachs paper from June of last year that was just like, yeah, it's a trillion dollar answer to one hundred million dollar question. It is a paraphrase, Yeah, yeah, but it's actually paraphrasing, right right, But yeah, I mean it's it's like the the like like nose to the grindstone, people who like can't afford to let you know, they let ideology drive their desires, but not what they more or less what they're you know, obviously they're hugely biased. Yeah, but these folks understand and I think, you know, broadly speaking, we can all sort of see that there's no like the actual reason to use any of this AI stuff, but especially all of this stuff that's supposed to be social and entertaining. It's like so weird because it's like, yeah, it's better than the horrible racist nerds that run Silicon Valley at socializing, But that doesn't mean that's good for humanity. The bar it clears the lowest bar of humanity that you could possibly like define.
Speaker 3: But that, by the way, is also what gives me a little like to the extent that there is hope on this, Like you know, Zuckerberg has gone like you know, decided free speech and we're taking away all this stuff.
Speaker 2: It's like yeah, or like McDonald's like.
Speaker 3: These analyzes are being driven by people that also think that these AI profiles were a profitable idea. Like and if you see the common theme, it's that these people don't know shit.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean it's gonna obviously it's gonna be bad. But like these people are very very stupid and truly do not understand how people work.
Speaker 2: They just got lucky once. Same with Ron Moss.
Speaker 3: Donald Trump at least understands how racists work. Although it's like you're like, you know, he he's just right place, right time, and sort of right vibe.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Just like historically with like the level of genius that people ascribe to Hitler, I've always like found it like when you actually go back and like read about what Hitler was, like, he was like kind of a dumb guy. Yeah, He's very narcissistic and so like was good at presenting himself because he like studied every like photo that was ever taken of him and like did a lot of like work for like yeah, but like just he slept through the d day attacks, like he is a fucking dipshit, but he was just like the person for that moment in time. Yeah, I feel like.
Speaker 3: Not that dipshits can't be dangerous, but it's like absolutely, let's not like, let's let's not ascribe like they have power, but they don't have the genius that they think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's like a lot of people in America ascribe to them because in America we love a winner and we want to give them like all powerful status.
Speaker 2: But so not that they're not dangerous, but like, let's be real, these people are fucking morons. Honestly.
Speaker 3: Social media is the thing that has most pierced that veil, like more piers that veil than anything else. It's like, how would we have known, truly how actually stupid Elon Musk is on Twitter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like it's it's amazing.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a quick break, we'll be right back, and we're back, all right, popcorn buckets. The trend has continued since the last time we checked in with it. I think the last time we checked in with it, like we you know, obviously covered the fuckable doom Sandworm have.
Speaker 2: Did we talk. Have you seen one of those things? I saw one over Christmas?
Speaker 1: The person you saw it in the flesh? What did you think?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, like many of the common theme and everything we're talking about, it's wild that this.
Speaker 2: Made it up the corporate chain product.
Speaker 3: The number of very powerful people who had to approve this thing is baffling to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's I mean, they were right. It was a huge hit, which gave rise to the fuckable Wolverine popcorn bucket and a slimmer popcorn bucket that's somewhere, someone somewhere probably tried to have some. And then of course recently we got the Witch's hat bucket for Wicked and a literal coffin shaped bucket to time with No Sparatu that I feel like they would have done better.
Speaker 3: Spoiler alert for no Saratu, I will just say, but obviously, if you don't want to be spoiled, to gip ahead, the poppup bucket.
Speaker 2: Should have just been a huge mustache. Yes, the mustache is by far.
Speaker 3: I mean, nothing else in that movie made me like truly gasp as much as first seeing the mustache. Maybe it wasn't the trailer, but either way, you're like, oh, fuck, that shit is crazy.
Speaker 1: That is a crazy looking thing. Gladiator Too had a popcorn bucket that was shaped like the coliseum, but then if you viewed it through a smartphone, it allowed you to watch a tiny fight to the death inside of your popcorn bucket, which I kind of love. Did you seek Gladiator Too?
Speaker 3: I not only did I seek that, I realized I hadn't seen Gladiator one, possibly in its entirety, because I've probably caught most of it like syndicated chopped up, but either way, I hadn't seen any version of it in probably fucking fifteen years. So what I did was I had the most just imagine the most fucking Italians yelling at each other day you could have. I watched the finale of Penguin Gladiator one, and Gladiator one took me to I was like two minutes late to Gladiator two, like the.
Speaker 1: Trips, like right, you just ran it right into the.
Speaker 2: Just like fucking straight in.
Speaker 3: So I will just say, if anyone else is even remotely considering doing that, do not it really really ruins Gladiator two?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because Gladiator one's better, or just because it's too much Gladiator to me?
Speaker 3: It's because not this is not film criticism. They're to me, they're very similar. It just kind of goes boils down to like I think there's a world where Gladiator two is sort of going to be generationally like The Phantom Menace, like the way kids for whom The Phantom Menace was their first star Wars are like, it's fine, it's great. There's probably a world where people who didn't see Gladiator wonder he was better.
Speaker 2: Fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean because that's not the one with sharks, right, so it's the same movie, just with more Yeah, it's like fine.
Speaker 3: You know, probably purists would say they prefer the performance of Russell Crowe over Paul mescal I don't think, you know, it's just a lot of.
Speaker 2: Italians yelling each other. Yeah, I guess, I don't know.
Speaker 1: He really Spaniard. By the way, he's not Italian. And that only makes sense when you realize that, like, very close to the beginning of production, Antonio Banderaz was cast in that role, and then they were like, oh fuck, Antonio's out. Who do we get? How about the guy from Eli Confidential? He doesn't look like we don't have time to change the name, but well, Uh, we'll just go with it.
Speaker 3: It's really yeah, it's so I don't know. I thought the movie was fine. I just was in the wrongest possible headspace to watch it.
Speaker 1: I would have preferred to watch all the Gladiator battles happen at a tiny scale and of popcorn bucket in my hands personally, But other than that, I was on board.
Speaker 3: Well, like also like all corporate stuff, right, it's like, oh, there were three, like, you know, just normal hits with the popcorn buckets, So let's make one that includes fucking are in you know, like implementation of a fucking app. I'm just like, how did this go from like, you know, two pieces two to three pieces of molded plastic two needing fucking like servers. Yeah, Like they always do the wrong thing with a business. I mean, this had to be a huge money pit, Like why would you do this?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that the amount that like that movie just like looked so expensive. It just looked like money was being burned in every corner of the screen, which is like a great uh you know, that's a lot of.
Speaker 2: Fair I will just say.
Speaker 3: Also, also spoiler for Gladiator two, I'm pretty convinced they just used the xenomorph models. There's a scene where they're fighting some monkeys, and tell me, tell me that those are not simply xenomorphs rey skinned.
Speaker 1: They look they're just like what if there was a different animal back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just is exactly.
Speaker 3: They're just xenomorphin around, they're doing zenomorph' stuff. Their tails move the same way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really strange.
Speaker 3: Feel very confident that morph.
Speaker 1: Anyways, Coming up January nineteenth, the working Man's Popcorn Bucket. It's National Popcorn Day and Cinema is having a bring your own bucket event, which sounds like something would get with an invitation to an ayahuasca party. But in this case, you just bring any container as long as it's not over four hundred ounces.
Speaker 3: This is sad that they had to make that stipulation because they knew.
Speaker 1: So a forty ounce is so ten x that don't bring something ten times the size of a forty and we'll fill it with popcorn.
Speaker 3: Five dollars four hundred ounce container. Okay, the containers I'm seeing like on home depot dot com look closer to like rolling luggage.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah in general vibe yeah, yeah, so.
Speaker 2: Don't break that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ten forties ten forties is just like a thick carry on, yeah, or a thick checked bag.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, I'm looking at some it's like a you know, one of the larger plastic containers you would get at the container store.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean again this is this is not to like, like, I know everything is getting shittier, but just off the success of fun popcorn buckets making one that costs them nothing exactly here you go. What kind of fucking Tom Sawyer ass bullshit is bring your own bucket?
Speaker 1: It's very like not corporate. It's like, did you just like give this like fuck an eighty year old eagle scalp or something like who came up with this idea? This idea seems so anti corporate. They're like they went all the way corporate with the gladiator to one where they're like, okay, so it's a little coliseum. But then put on your VR smartphone app and you can that must be it.
Speaker 3: Whatever budget went into making this VR app, clearly what's your mind for the bucket that's supposed to come out on January nineteenth? And yeah, that budget has shrinked too, precisely zero. Yeah, I'm just now that pitch obviously they headed everyone off at the past with not over four hundred ounces. So my pitch is someone cobble together. I guess maybe a series of graduated cylinders or tubes so that technically it is under four hundred ounces, but it is like whatever.
Speaker 2: The length incredibly long could be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just make those super long beaker Yeah, yes, yeah, a single file line of popcorn. Yeah, these are good ideas. Andrew T. What a pleasure having you on the daily, I guess, as always, so where can people find you? Follow you?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: You know my podcast is yo is as racist andrew T on. Whatever the least Nazi social media available is at any given time, as far as I know.
Speaker 1: As far as we know, that is going to do it for us this afternoon. We're back tomorrow with a whole last episode of the show. Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get your vaccines, get your flu shots, don't do nothing about white supremacy, and we will talk to y'all tomorrow. Bye ea.