Speaker 1: Hey, welcome in latest edition of Birdland Territory with Steve tim Brad and today, oriol outfielder Dylan Biavers joins us on the show. We're excited to talk to Dylan, who's in his second year on the Orioles. He got his major league call up in August of twenty twenty five, a draft pick by the Birds in twenty twenty two, number thirty three overall pick, worked his way up through the levels on the farm and then made the big debut last year and been on the ball club this year. And Dylan, thanks for joining us today. Man, great to have you on Birdland Territory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you for having me. Excited to be here.
Speaker 1: Tell me about the season for the team. First, what a wild ride. We have detailed it on this show. Throughout the crazy ups and downs, the chase to get to five hundred, many times it felt like maybe media and fans were ready to throw in the towel, like the team has never obviously done that. Greatest example maybe in Detroit, an incredible win. I mean, what's this ride been like for you guys in that clubhouse?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's it's definitely been a lot of ups and downs. I feel like, you know, a lot of teams in the big leagues right now are probably you know, going through a similar thing. But yeah, I mean, you know, we I think we have a really resilient group, and you know, obviously if if if it doesn't go our way, we're not really gonna waiver where We're gonna stick to who we are and you know, try and compete every every pitch, you know, So I think that that's kind of kept us in it, even even when we're not playing our best baseball.
Speaker 3: Hey, Jelan, you're thinking back to your debut last year, Well was that experience like for you then? And then can you kind of talk about the difference of getting your first call up as opposed to making your first opening day and kind of having like the full season experience in the big leagues.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, it's definitely it's been a lot different. I felt like, you know, last year, whenever whenever I got called up, you can kind of argue we were maybe maybe not really in contention at that point. So this year, you know, making the making the roster out of camp and trying to be a part of a team that makes a playoff pushes It's it's been a lot different. I feel like, uh, definitely more challenging. You know, they're I think I feel like it's it's it's just there's been a little more competitive aspect to it. I felt like last year, you know, they were just giving me opportunity and whether or not I was playing well, and I feel like, you know, now it's like, if you're not helping the team win, it's you're not going to get in there. So, you know, I feel like this year it's been a little more challenging. And then, you know, at the same time, I feel like maybe the league is kind of adjusted to me as a hitter, and you know, they're they're going to attack your weak points, especially when they have a bigger sample on you.
Speaker 4: You know, and take us back to that game yesterday. Man, you know, it couldn't be a great feeling when you're trailing seven and nothing with Trek Scuball on the mound, but then just an avalanche offensively for you guys. It was a remarkable comeback, biggest comeback in Orioles history since two thousand and nine. But that's been a calling card of your guys this season. Twenty five come from behind wins, that's eleventh most in base Well, so what was it like yesterday all of the emotions and also just talk about your guys never say die attitude this season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like it's been pretty consistent. I can't pinpoint when you know, we we made our first come back win or like come from behind win. But I feel like early in the year, you know, we we erased a deficit at some point, and uh, you know, I feel like after that it was like to us, you know, there's no lead that that and another team can have on us where where we feel like we're out of it, and uh, you know, no matter what what inning it is, and and and what the score is, I feel like we're we're gonna, you know, try and win the ball game.
Speaker 1: And uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just feel like we've been very resilent and even even when things aren't looking so good. You know, when SCOO Ball came out of the game, there was a little bit of traffic. I think we we'd had scored one run at the very end there and and two outs, I'm pretty sure, and and you know, Albi and Donnie were telling me, you know, be be ready to hit, you know it. I feel like that. That's kind of where it starts. You know, our our coaching staff is you know, they're they were looking like five batters ahead in a two out inning. You know, like, hey, be ready. You know, the next four guys are gonna get on base and do their job. And I think when when the coaching staff has that confidence in every guy on the on the team, it gives the players confidence as well. So, you know, I was ready to hit long before we had put up any runs. And so we're you know, other guys off the bench as well.
Speaker 1: We talk with those outfitter Dylan Beavers today on Birdland Territory Glad to visit with Dylan Orioles. Draft pick from twenty twenty two s Dylan on Saturday Night, about a week ago against Atlanta, bottom of the ninth, you get a walk off hit. There's probably almost no better feeling in baseball than to be mobbed by your teammates, the crowds, big crowds going crazy. After that game, I thought, Craig Albert has a very praiseworthy comment of you. He said something to the effect of he's got a slow heartbeat. And when I hear managers say that about a player, it seems to say they're calm and relaxed when all heck is breaking loose. They keep their composure and it helps them have success on the field. Did you hear about that comment? Do you agree? And if that's you have that, what helps you have that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I feel like, you know, I've had I mean, it hasn't been I've had a very long major league career to this point, but I've I've had some success from what I can remember, and uh, you know, late in the game, and I feel like for me, I just try and treat those at bats the same as any any at that I feel like it those late inning scenarios. You know, it can be challenging for people if if they put too much stock into the importance of the at bat. You know, at the end of the day, I think you just need to take it like any other at bat. Obviously, everyone wants to come through, but if if you want it too bad, that's when you you start getting yourself out or or making bad decisions. So typically, no matter when I come up, I try and treat it like, you know, the same situation as as any at bat.
Speaker 1: Mhm, he don't.
Speaker 3: I always love when I was playing. I love talking to hitters about their approach and just kind of different things they're doing as a player. Forget about whatever what you know stats might say or what this might say for you yourself as a player, How would you say? What would be the skying report on yourself? And what do you think do you do better than you know? Like, uh, then what might be showing so far? What basically makes you the type of player that you are, what makes you your best whenever you're going your best?
Speaker 2: Yeah, when I'm when I'm going good, I I feel like I'm controlling the zone, you know, not not chasing anything, not not swinging at pitchers pitches, even even if they are strikes. And and I I feel like I give pretty quality at bats consistently when I when I'm going good, which I kind of take pride in. I feel like that helps out the other guys on the team. You know, when I watch a guy take a ten pitch at bat, you know, Sam on deck, I'm pretty confident going up after that guy, just you know, after seeing that the pitcher kind of go to everything they have, you know, as well as maybe they're they're a little tired after a long battle like that. I feel like just giving good at bat kind of instills confidence in the rest of the lineup. So yeah, I think, you know, controlling the strike zone, giving quality at bats, and then uh, putting the ball in play and in making the defense make a play. You know, that's I feel like when I'm at my best. But you know, it's baseball, so it's it's hard. It's it's hard to do that every single time.
Speaker 4: And doing all of those reasons, I would assume factor into the equation for why Craig Albernaz, especially recently is bad.
Speaker 2: Did you lead off?
Speaker 4: What's it been like in the leadoff spot pretty often recently?
Speaker 2: You know, it's been awesome. I I I try to treat every spot in the lineup the same, you know, I know I need to get a job done wherever I am in the lineup, but you know, leading off, you you you get the first step out of the game, and uh, I feel like that's a pretty important at bat for the whole team. So I've you know, I try to see a couple of pitches if I can, and work a good at bat and try and get on for the guys after me. But yes, I've enjoyed it. I hit lead off quite a bit and college and the minors, so I'm fairly comfortable in that in that spot. But you know, it's not two different than hitting you know, third, fourth, fifth, or sixth.
Speaker 1: To me, Dylan Beaver's our guest today on Birdland Territory. That walk off hit was part of a rundown where Jealan's batting about three hundred the last eleven games. The bad is trending up and as you guys just discussed, patting in the leadoff spot a lot for the Birds. We're going to talk much more with Dylan in a minute here on Birdland Territory.
Speaker 5: Big second half of the season coming up, there might be a hot ticket, a rivalry series, a sold out experience they need to get your hands on, and Sea Geek is the spot for that. You can find good, good pricing. They help you with the pricing green dot good, red dot not as good, and they help you with your view of the seat for some big matchups coming up in August, September and eventually leading up to playoffs.
Speaker 6: Why would you not use sekik If you want a view from your seat, you want to know if it's a good seat, if it's a good deal. It has all of it on the app.
Speaker 1: It's easy to use.
Speaker 6: It's one click boom. You buy the tickets, they send them right to you get them on the app, and then you can go check out whatever game, whatever you're.
Speaker 1: A fan of.
Speaker 6: If you can go to, whether it's baseball, whether it's concerts, whatever you're into, you can find a ticket and you can always try to find the green dot on seki.
Speaker 5: And for MLB tickets, you can get ten percent off with that promo cover running all season long. Territory one zero. That's territory ten off your next set of MLB tickets at Sea Geek. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to yourccount so you can use it later.
Speaker 1: We are Birdland Territory, part of the Foul Territory Network, and we're now over fifty shows, believe it or not, and we're charging towards our one thousand subscribers a little over one hundred short. It's free by the way, when you subscribe to our show on YouTube and pass the word throughout Birdland. If you can and subscribe to Birdland territory, happy to visit today with those out there or Dylan Beavers, young guy had several chats with over the years in Booie Man. We had some great interviews Dylan, and we had a great one in the Oil Clubhouse not long after you came up last year. And I want to remind you what you told me then and get you to tell that story again. Your first two years in the minors twenty two and twenty three, you had great numbers, well over eight hundred ops twenty four Double A fell off a little bit seven fifty ish, which was good, but not what the numbers you'd put up at lower levels. As that year was ending, you met were asked to meet with Anthony Bilda, the head of player development, and Sherman Johnson, who was then the upper level hitting coordinator who's now with the White Sox, and they had some tweaks and changes and they just kind of reviewed your year and wanted to discuss things that would help you get better. As you explained to me, so by the way, you went from a seven to fifty ops at Double A to a nine thirty five in Triple A the next year and found your way to the big leagues, So that meeting seems pretty important in the scope of your career, would you agree? And what was that? What happened there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that that year was a struggle for sure. I feel like seven point fifty is like not even that bad compared to how it felt. It felt like I played a whole lot worse in twenty four in double A, and it was kind of eye opening, like, Okay, I need to make some adjustments. You know, it's it's not really what I'm doing now isn't cutting it. So I I went I can't remember if I went to them, but I had been talking to Sherman and kind of expressing that I wasn't super happy with how it was going, and I knew I was better than what I did in twenty four, And so then Villa and Sherm kind of after the season, we kind of discussed that we were going to meet up in Florida and talk about what what I did and kind of where I should go moving forward to improve for next year, because I basically told him I don't want to have another year like that next year, and I'll do whatever I need to do to not play bad like that again for a consecutive years. So we went to Florida and we just kind of compared my swing and what I was doing to what some of the best hitters in the big leagues do, and you know that we I'd say we did probably like like two two hours worth of looking at video and breaking down the swing and kind of game planning where we wanted to go from there, you know, and that that include it's like what I wanted to swing to look like, where I wanted my range of motion and mobility, you know, and whether it's my hips or my shoulders or you know, whatever it may be. We kind of discussed what I needed to do to get into the spots that we wanted my swing to be in. And they, you know, they helped me quite a bit. They game planned it for me basically and told me what they wanted to see and how I needed to accomplish it and kind of set me on my way that off season. And it took the entirety of the off season to make those adjustments and even a little bit in the spring and early in the year in twenty five to see any results. So but then you know, I started to figure it out and it helped me quite a bit and improve my consistency at the plate. So I'm really grateful to those guys and the Orioles organization for helping me out and pushing me in the right direction.
Speaker 1: Cool, let me jump in a quick quick file before I get to Brad here. And one thing Villa would tell me later is he said, when we met with Dylan, we reminded him, you're a major league player. That's how we see you. Your stats may say what they say for this year, that's a bump in the road. And so when Villa was telling me that, it felt like this is more than words. He truly did believe in this, this young hitter. Was that important that you saw their confidence?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, I mean, and honestly, I can't say that there's been anyone in this organization that hasn't had confidence to me at least, you know, whenever I speak with staff or work with any of our staff, from the time I was drafted to you know, at the field yesterday, it's it's been they're they're super reassuring and uh, you know, they they instill a lot of confidence into into me. You know, I can't speak for everybody else, but for me, I feel like this. The staff from the Orioles has has always instilled confidence and uh, you know, any baseball player knows that's uh, you know, of a lot of value. So yeah, I'm very grateful for that.
Speaker 3: That's awesome and honestly dealing like a lot of credit to you to be young in your career, be a high round draft pick and still seek advice. I think a lot of people think it's just like you're a high round pick, you just your cruise.
Speaker 2: To the big leagues.
Speaker 3: But to be able to you know, ask for help, get help and apply it is impressive. I also have uh kind of talked about the clubhouse culture. Every single interview we've seen with everybody has talked about how this group is so close and how it's such a tightening group. And this is from April, through any of the struggles you guys have had, it still feels like it's the same thing what allows the clubhouse to be so confident regardless of how the season has been going to this point.
Speaker 2: I think it's it's definitely easy just because we I feel like we have a lot of similar personalities in the clubhouse. There's there's a lot of guys who are kind of on the same page, and we we definitely have fun, you know, even even when it's not going our way. Obviously it's it's not fun losing, but you know, we're not gonna let one bad game ruin the rest of our week and uh, you know, ruin the vibes and in the clubhouse. You know, we we know that we need to show up the next day and uh do it all over again, you knowigure it out and find a way to win. But yeah, I feel like it's just easy because we're we're kind of we're all on the same page, and uh, we've got I I believe we have some great leaders on the team who, you know, when when we need to be put in check, they'll they'll they'll be there to do that and uh kind of get us back back on track. But yeah, it's just been it's been great. And I think that's kind of a you know, it's Mike and and his team have put together a good clubhouse with with really good guys. So I think that's, uh, that's very important. You know, it's just as important as having a really talented group, sure who.
Speaker 4: Have been those leaders that you know, you guys will lean on during those tough times.
Speaker 2: Definitely, definitely Pete. He's he's been amazing, you know, from from the when I met him at the caravan in I think January January February, he's been like an amazing teammate, you know, super super positive and uh, you know, I think also Bassett obviously is he went down for a second, so we're hoping to get him back soon. But same thing with Bassett. You know, those those guys who have been around the game and uh seen it all kind of you know, those are those are the guys who who when they're when they're talking to everyone's kind of listening. And uh it's been really nice too to have them, you know, step into that role and kind of hold everyone accountable, you know, because they've they've been on teams that that have had success and they've been on teams that haven't, and uh so it's nice. You know, when you hear them talk, you know that they're they're coming from a place of experience and you can really trust what they have to say.
Speaker 1: Dylan Biaver's with us on Birdland Territory. Having a great conversation with Dylan. We got to shoot a few more questions his way here in a second. On Birdland Territory.
Speaker 7: There is one place to be on trade deadline day watching Foul Territory of course.
Speaker 2: A J.
Speaker 7: Perdinski, Aeric Kratz, and Scott Brown will be live all afternoon speaking with insiders, reading tea leaves and reacting to unfolding deadline drama. Join us on the ft YouTube channel at one pm ET and stay locked in through the six pm deadline next Monday. Foul Territory Network, It's baseball the way it should be covered.
Speaker 1: Dylan Bieber's with us today on Birdland Territory. Dylan in our final minutes, One thing I would like to ask you about. I've had some fascinating interviews and conversations with players about social media criticism that comes for an individual or the team. We're both. We're in a social media age where everybody has a hot take and everybody's going to express it. And I know my inbox is loaded every day, and so if a player is on social media, it's probably tenfold, maybe more than that. How do you handle that as outside noise as maybe team you know, I've heard ballplayers call it. How do you deal with that?
Speaker 2: I typically try not to read too much you know about what everyone has to say. You know, we we know when we're not playing good, and we're just as frustrated as anybody, any of our fans or anyone on social media. So I don't think it's super productive to go read a bunch of negative comments, you know, I it's it's yeah, it's just tough, you know. I think it's it's easier just to not worry about that, just because I don't think any it's it's not going to help you perform to go see what everyone has to say. But you know, at the same time, you I'm a sports fan as well, and you know, I can see where a frustrated fan may be coming from. But yeah, I think it's it's best just to focus on your your team and and the performance, not go read everything that everyone has to say on the internet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can completely agree with that.
Speaker 3: If if you can stay off but as much as possible, do that. But how about just for yourself moving forward the rest of the season, what are your goals, what are your aspirations? What do you what do you envision happening for yourself individually?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 2: The rest of the season in here, Uh, first of all, I want to stay healthy. I learned this season that it's it's hard to come back from an injury, and in professional baseball, and in the big leagues for that matter, it makes it even more difficult. So, you know, I want to make sure I'm healthy, and uh, I want to make sure I do everything I can to help the team win, and uh, you know, see us, see us in October. I'd like to play better than I than I have this season to this point. But uh, I feel like at the end of the day, you know, if I played the you know, put up the same numbers I'm putting up right now and we're winning it, it won't really matters as long as I can kind of help the team win, you know.
Speaker 4: In this sort of picks up from Steve's last question, Uh, this is your first experience on the big league team around the trade deadline, and there's so many rumors swirling and the American League is such a jumbled mess. No one knows what to make of what team is going to do. But how do you try to block out that noise? Is that even brought up in the clubhouse at all? What has it been like in this lead up to the deadline.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that obviously, there's it's it's an interesting experience. There's a there's a lot going on. A lot of people have their guesses or ideas of what's going to happen in the future, but you know, until anything happens, it's it's not like anything's changed. So it's for for me, I just show up to the field every day and you know, get my work in, do all my prep and and try and help help us win a game if if I'm in there that day, and I feel like that's probably the most efficient way to do it, just because you're kind of just controlling what you can and taking a day to day. But yeah, I mean it's it's not like I'm completely we ignore what what could happen if we don't play well. But yeah, it's it's it's an interesting spot to be and I've never experienced anything like it, But you know, to this point, just take it day by day and try and win the day, because if we win a bunch of games, you know, I think it puts us in a good spot.
Speaker 1: Jill, let me shoot one more question your way. We'll wrap it up and thank you so much for your time today. And one of The cool thing for me is meeting kids out of the draft like I met you in twenty twenty two, and seeing them progress throughout and saying, well, that kid, one day come into the Oil clubhouse and make it, because so few do you beat a lot of odds going from the draft to a major league clubhouse. And Brad Brock did the same thing. And so if I were the Orioles, I'd bring you with the current group of draft picks and I talk about what they're about to face over the next three years. The ups and downs, the pressures, the anguish when you go two for twenty, the high when you're tearing it up for a week at Booie and feeling like I can do this. What advice would you give them? And tell them, man, the next two or three years are going to feature this, and here are some ways you can handle that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's like cliche, but never get too high or too low. You know you hear it all the time if you are, because I've done it in the past, you know you. I think a lot of people are guilty of it. If if you ride the highs and uh, you know you you feel like the man when you're when you're playing well and then you know two weeks later you're going to get punched in the mouth, and uh, you know it's going to hurt more if if you know, you were riding the high. I feel like, so if you can be as neutral as possible no matter what the results are on the field, that's where I've found I have the most success.
Speaker 7: And uh.
Speaker 2: Keep my sanity that way, you know, if if you're trying to remain as neutral as possible, but uh, you know was on top of that, I think just showing up every day and uh you know, executing your preparation and uh, you know, trying to get better no matter how the how the results are on the field. You know there's gonna be ups and downs, but just keep showing up. Never never, you know, sit there and feel bad for yourself. You know, you gotta keep your foot on the pedal and continue to get your work even when it's not going your way.
Speaker 1: Well, I think Birdland could hear how much thought and work and process you put into that. And I am excited to see you del Marvack, Frederick Aberdeen and all these steps and coming to Baltimore and have success. Man, that's really cool. You earned it, and hopefully you and the Orioles keep riding the high up Detroit through the final two months and we have some fun the rest of the season. Dylan, thanks so much for being on Birdland Territory today. We really enjoyed talking with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you guys all for having me. It's been fun.
Speaker 1: Birdland. Hope you enjoyed that one. I know we did, and we really appreciate Dylan Beaver's taking time. And we'll see him and the birds at the ballpark this week, and Tim and Brad I'll see you guys in a few days when we reconvene with another edition of Birdland Territory.