Speaker 1: To I remove going deep speedways. Peace do hell peas do.
Speaker 2: From the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 1: This is Drivetime with Travis Wingfield.
Speaker 2: He's my hands in the playoffs. What is up, Dolphins and welcome to the Draft Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Wingfield. And on today's show, we're going to continue our twenty twenty three season review as we jump over to the defensive side of the football. The interior defensive linemaner up on today's show. Plus, I have two and a half days worth of senior bull practice notes and plenty of prospects for you to keep your eye on in this year's draft. From the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex. This is.
Speaker 1: The Draft Time Podcast.
Speaker 2: May gaffe start here on Friday because I alluded to this on the Wednesday podcast. Do you guys remember that Jets diatribe I had back in August my Hard Knocks takeaway that Aaron Rodgers ran the Jets entire organization and it was a bad thing for that team. I have to find that clip somewhere. It's gonna take some time to dig back through because I didn't tile the episode that it's buried in one of those August episodes.
Speaker 1: But I called it exactly, did I not?
Speaker 2: Have you guys seen the story by Diana Russini and Zach Rosenblat, it's word for word what I said. I don't have the clip off the top, but I do remember the exact moment when I realized that Aaron Rodgers was the coach. We already knew he was the GM because they brought in like five people who could not perform at this level and put them in prominent positions, like their offensive coordinator for a head coach whose defense specializing like a starting wide receiver at forty four million dollars total who got deactivated by the end of the year, or another receiver who didn't even play most of the season, or a couple offensive tackles, a quarterback that threw one touchdown and thirteen picks at Yukon and threw a ninety nine yard pick six and a hell mary against US this year. But we knew he was the head coach because I will never forget when salav made a comment during a preseason game that was aired on Hard Knocks in the headset and Rogers who's on the other end of the headset, And I'm sure there's Nathaniel Hackett. I'm sure there's Jeff Ulbrich on that communication as well. He disagreed with Sala's commentary.
Speaker 1: And Sala immediately.
Speaker 2: Buckled and agreed with Aaron. Hey, this guy's blue. I don't think of this coach. Yeah, this guy's not blue. Sky's definitely not blue. I can't forget it. So these these notes from that column, I mean, it matches up perfectly.
Speaker 1: Here's a blurb.
Speaker 2: It's not uncommon for team decision makers to consult star quarterbacks on potential roster additions, but the perception around the league is of the Jets went beyond the norm. Quote Rogers isn't the assistant GM. One AFC Joe manager said, Joe Douglas is the assistant GM. You don't say, you don't say. Quote that's what Aaron wants. End quote was a common refrain from Hackett as he told coaches what plays he wanted to run during camp. Often, Rogers would hear Hackett's play call and want something else, so the entire offense would reset.
Speaker 1: Weird. It's so weird.
Speaker 2: As Rogers was pushing the limits of a torn achilles rehab determined to return in a little over three months, and unprecedented recovery time for that injury. Wilson, along with some other Jets teammates and coaches, grew tired of the way Salah fond over Rogers. According to team sources, the only thing better than Dolphin's success is the Jets being the Jets, right baby, And we're right back in that once again.
Speaker 1: You'll love to see it.
Speaker 2: Let's go ahead and pick up our season review series here with a quick position group, and we're gonna get thugh this in the first segment here, because the final two two segments of the show today are dedicated to college prospects scouting. I don't know if you guys can tell the pep and the zeal in my voice my step today because I'm a little bit more inclined to talk about the draft because the last two years it kind of felt like we didn't really have a draft, and we did have, you know, mid and late round picks, but it's always different when you have a first round pick. So let's go ahead and pick this up with the interior defensive line and Christian Wilkins, who look this might come back and he's gonna maybe be gone in a couple of months, and it's like, well, why'd you hype him up so hard? It's because I just want to be factual about what we saw on the field this year. I don't think you could lay out a player's career trajectory jujicary any better than what you got from Christian Wilkins over the first five years of his career. I think it's ring of honor pacing, isn't it. He got better every single year. He's been as durable and reliable as anybody else in the National Football League, and does it by playing the most percentage of stabs over the last three years of any interior defensive lineman in the National Football Again, I'm not sure what's gonna happen with him. I would have said no chance he gets out previously, but he seems to be dead set on taking maximum value and he straight up earned the right to do that with his contract. I thought he was crazy to turn down the top of the market offer he got last year, but he wasn't.
Speaker 1: It was I who was crazy.
Speaker 2: I do not want to lose this player, but I also think that you can pretty much take that money that you save and attack everything else on the roster and just have a glaring hole let's call it what it is at the defensive tackle position. But you could pretty much patch together everything else you have to patch together this offseason, which luckily for us. And this is another thing that I don't think you know, certain people that cover the team phil to mention this, like when they talk about cap opulips or whatever they call it, Like all the Dolphins positions of need, for the most part, are not premium positions, even like your third receiver. It's not top dollar for that right. Like receivers, premium edge is premium. You maybe need a left tackle depending on what Toron are Stead does, but for the most.
Speaker 1: Part, it's guards.
Speaker 2: It's a center, it's a nose tackle, a third receiver, a strong, a free state strong safety, a slot corner. Maybe, like it's not it's it's not corner, it's not pass rusher, it's not quarterback. It's not the premium spots.
Speaker 1: So you can really.
Speaker 2: Take that money, which is premium money, and sparse it across like five positions and improve all those. It's kind of a give or take what you do. But back to Christian Man. We've seen him play across multiple schemes and multiple different fronts, even odd one, tech, three, tech five tech. Whatever you want to play him at, he can do it. He helps you play in the light boxes and can still defend the run with down a hat in the box, becoming one of the most productive tacklers the running game has ever seen. From a defensive tackle, he can be part of your NASCAR packages as the loan interior defensive lineman. You get like fifteen two and forty three out there, and then there's Christian just poking wrong right in the middle of that defensive line, getting after those pass rush reps. His and his hustle are continuously on display into training camp, into practice, into games. His love for the game is infectious. His teammates love him. He's singularly focused on the game. Opponents hate playing against him. I love watching him agitate the hell out of Josh Allen.
Speaker 1: He's just an elite, elite, elite elite.
Speaker 2: Player, and the stats have been there for a while now, right, and it's been since really his first couple of years in league. The last three years he's taken off This year, nine sacks were twenty eighth in the National Football League, but ninth or fifth among defensive tackles. Why did I say ninth? He was fourteenth in QB hits total with twenty three that was third among defensive tackles and PFF had him with eight or eight among defensive tackles with sixty one QB pressures that was a career high as well. The way that he can ride this is front call system.
Speaker 1: Whatever it is.
Speaker 2: He does everything that versatility speaks to, Like if they want to run outside and play outside zone, he can ride the wave and stay and engage until the time to get off that block against those outside zone looks. Then he can win with quickness inside and beat your man gap schemes or as a pass rusher. The way he can anchor against doubles and hold a point when he has to do that as well. What a year, What a career for thinety four. And if this is the end, I don't know, but if this is the end, man, what a.
Speaker 1: Great player he was for us for those five years. Number ninety two.
Speaker 2: Zach Seeler, I mean copy and paste it right there right Seriously, what a year for Zach Sealer. The way that he was able to take his pass rush to the next level. Like, look, I've thought he was the most underrated player in the league for really since he signed that extension back in twenty twenty. I think it was when he signed that, like, oh, we just got a great player for pretty cheap. But I did not know that he had this pass rush arsenal that he unfurled this season. The power, the push pull, the creating of leverage to then exploit it, mantra and understanding of angles and how to utilize power and length to get guys leaning one way, just flat out dominant all year for Zach Sealler, the way he worked with guys around him, whether it was an end stuff hunting off of him, or him being the looper, or him set in the pick, he just gets after it. I mentioned Christian snap count. I didn't tell you exactly what it was. It was nine to sixty eight. Zach had forty four or fewer reps. He's right there. It's insane, and like talk about durability. Even the game, what game was? It? Was it Buffalo where he went down was kind of grabbing at his shoulder. Maybe he's Baltimore and you're like, oh, that looks like a collar bone or a separated shoulder, and he was back into the next series dragging that thing. But he was back in there. He just has that zeal, that love, that passion for the game. I just think it mentally in the makeup is everything you want, just like it is with Christian. And the technical aspect of his game is fun to discuss. But now we've got the numbers to really back that up. I mean, ten sacks. How many defensive tackles are doing that. I'll tell you he was one of fourth do that this year. He was twenty first overall with twenty two QB hits. That was one fewer than Christian, which ranked him fourth among defensive tackles. He had a pick, a touchdown, four passes defense, two recoveries. What a season for Zach Sealer. Christian had sixty one pressure, Zach had six. Zach had thirty seven run stops. Christian had thirty four. Two really good players man, And then we go to the next part of the depth here on the interior defensive line, number ninety eight Ray Kwon Davis. He had a career year, but that speaks to kind of the of those four years here career highs was seventeen games played, first time he did miss a game in his career, twenty four pressures, and six QB hits, which tripled his previous high of two QB hits. I guess at his best, he's a space eater who's long and can be disruptive against the run, kind of a glue piece inside that helps you operate around him. But really, my real take is that it's hard to imagine him coming back this year because he just never took that next step that you thought he would back in year two or even year three, and that was kind of his career going back to Alabama, amazing dominant man versus children freshman year there at Bama, and he has never been that player ever since. And I thought his length alone would make him a wicked one tech pass rusher, but it's been the opposite of that. There's zero threat of pass rush there, there's minimal power against the run. He got walked back and erased easily with the catch and climb on doubles.
Speaker 1: Just very uninspiring football.
Speaker 2: And they tried to bring in a bunch of beefy nose tackles to replace him, and it didn't really work out. But I think it spoke to where they saw his long term, his longevity here and the number ninety three. DeShawn hand, I thought his limited workload produced what you kind of hoped it would in terms of a guy that played less than three hundred snaps for you, good gap discipline, sound tackler, didn't get removed by duo or other doubles the way.
Speaker 1: I talked about ninety eight.
Speaker 2: Just a solid rotational piece that you have to have and a good I guess not a if something happened in ninety four ninety two, I think this defense would have kind of come apart on the interior. But DeShawn Han, you can do a lot worse than him to kind of be the next guy online there, and he was that all year long for them. So he recorded his first sack since his rookie year, and he had the most cub hits of his career. He also made sixteen tackles on just two hundred and nineteen snaps played. So that Chagranterarior Defensive Line short podcast or segment of the podcast here today, I should say, let's go ahead and take our first break right there on this Friday and come back on the other side and hit the senior ball because I have a lot of notes to get to. That's next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by a donation.
Speaker 1: Oh you baby, it's draft season. Ye can you feel it? Oh yeah. I get so excited this tame of year when it comes to the prospects and getting the chance to take a look at them. I don't know why. I don't know why.
Speaker 2: It's nine thirty on a Friday morning. I'm playing golf today and this is the last thing I have to do before I go out to play golf.
Speaker 1: So I'm just feeling a little bit jazzed.
Speaker 2: Up right now, and I've been feeling kind of jazzed up all week because I don't know if this is the same for you guys. I know it's different in my position that I do this for a living, but the draft just hasn't really done it for me the last couple of years. I've had no issue, you know, going to Indy for the Combine and talking to Daniel Jeremiah about Dolphin's second round, second and third round prospects they might be able to add to their roster, or even watching tape of camp Smith after he was drafted, or you know, two years ago Eric Azukama, who I fell in love with his Texas Tech tape for whatever reason, not having that first round pick, not having a couple of top fifty picks like we do this year, is it is it fifty to fifty.
Speaker 1: I don't know what the second pick is.
Speaker 2: It's close. I feel reinvigorated by the process and thus the macho man Randy Savage voice that I'm just a little bit fired up, and that's usually the voice I go to when I'm fired up. So let's go ahead and talk about some notes here from the Senior Bowl that has wrapped in terms of practices. On Monday, I'm going to cross reference my notes with the great Kyle Crabs. Someday, Kyle and I are going to launcher on Patreon and you guys are going to have the best Dolphins coverage imaginable, not that that's not what this is, and we're also going to talk about the game. But in this podcast, I want to talk strictly about the practice because I think I think you glean a lot and for me, you know, people always ask me, Travis, could you show up tomorrow and coach a football game or coach of football practice, and I'd be a little bit weary about it.
Speaker 1: It might take me some time to get my feet wet.
Speaker 2: I always say, if you want me to coach a baseball practice or even a basketball practice tomorrow, I could do that because I played both those sports at a relatively high level. Football I quit after eighth grade. Not funny how that works out. But when I get asked that question, I always say, my true passion, my true talent, my true I think skill. I think I think exists in talent recognition and body movement and skill application and projection. And that's why going through these practices, it's the one on ones that really, to me, provide the most benefit. And you can never take these notes from the Senior Bowl practices, especially one on ones, and say, Okay, that player is good. All it does is turned you back to the tape. And I've already gotten into the tape on some of these guys, and to me, it confirms what I saw on the practice field on the one on one portions of the practice.
Speaker 1: So I want to go through these notes real quick.
Speaker 2: We'll do offense first, defense second, and then since it is February and football is like over by the way, by the way.
Speaker 1: Can we just talk about this real quick.
Speaker 2: I'm like, my tangents are all over the place today. I wasn't at the Pro Bowl, but I can almost promise you this is what the Pro Bowl looked like for the passing competition. Right. They showed up, probably had lunch or dinner or whatever before showed up, found a couple of footballs through maybe ten of them, and then went out and did the thing on national television.
Speaker 1: Like I know that.
Speaker 2: We're I don't know, man, there's like a contingency that I think it's probably just Twitter too, that judges the performance of a player based off of a paramount commercial with Hey Arnold Patrick's which, by the way, phenomenal commercial and Tua's acting chops are ninety nine percent better than any celebrity endorsement ad you'll ever see out there where it's.
Speaker 1: Like catch up, huh, Like they have no sense of let's make this real even though it's not. Tua did that.
Speaker 2: I thought he was very good in the ad, but you know, Patrick Stewart dogged on him for not having the big co homas in the big moment the fact that the hook comes up short and now Pro Bowl passing skilled, challenge skills, whatever skill. What did I say, Like, we're making evaluations off of this.
Speaker 1: It's crazy to me.
Speaker 2: Probably just had some pancakes and through five footballs before that competition. Speaking of guys that actually tried their best, the only quarterback on my Senior Bowl notes right here.
Speaker 1: Is Joe Milton, and I just I don't think any other.
Speaker 2: Like a lot of times at the Senior Bowl, you'll have a couple of first round picks, like I remember Josh Allen and Baker Mayfield were at the same Senior Bowl class, pretty pretty freaking good. And some years I remember the year they had like Mike White and Brandon Silver's and they were like, man, these are some good third and fourth round prospects. And don't get me wrong, I love Mike White's my absolute dude, my favorite people in the entire National Football League. But these middle round quarterback prospects typically typically are kind of wasted draft picks because you can't get on the field unless you're starting. You're not going to be the starter unless there's hope for your future as a franchise quarterback, or if you're coming in off the bench in a pinch as a backup quarterback like a Gardner Minshew, and that's like the best you can hope for. But even then, if you have Gardner Minshew as you're starting quarterback, you're you're probably drafting a quarterback the next year. Now, the Colts already had that guy this year. Gardner played a great had a good season. He's not a great player, but he's like that twenty fifth best quarterback in the league.
Speaker 1: That's like the best, the best you can help for in the middle rounds.
Speaker 2: Right, So I just kind of get like off put by like grating Sam Hartman, I just don't care. But the quarterback I will take a look at is somebody that comes off the truck like a jugs machine. And that might be the best comparison for Joe Milton from Tennessee. In fact, I text Kyle Krabs, like, does Joe Milton know where the ball's going when he releases it? And he said, he's a human jugs machine, Travis. He just pumps that thing over and over again. I don't think that he can play right now. He can't play. But there have been guys that have had traits that way, who were further along and further advanced. Josh Allen's college tape was I thought phenomenal. There was a bunch of missus accuracy wise, but the way he carried and lifted that offense is exactly what he's done for Buffalo in his career. Who's the next one I'm trying to think of here? The big toolsy traitsy Jordan Love? Right, that was Jordan Love's tape. He had a long way to go though in his development, and sure enough he sits for three years in the bench behind Aaron Rodgers and look at him. He looks like one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL right now. I don't think Joe Milton's anywhere near that. Anthony Richardson kind of got this whole raw, like hasn't played enough. But when you watched his tape, there was high little processing on that tape, which is the most important thing for a quarter If you can't do that, nothing else matters. And Joe Milton's a good example of that. He can throw the football ninety yards. It's Joe Milton's a good example of why you shouldn't trust almost anybody out there that tweets about football, right, like if.
Speaker 1: You have your like.
Speaker 2: Takes, takes exist because we allow them to in terms of the validity of those takes. And like, I just don't think most people watching, like I'm so all over the place today. So I'm gonna talk about USC receiver Brendan Rice. And there was reps where he like ran through the dB in one on one drills and it took like six seconds to get open him. But because he physically dominated a six foot tall, one hundred and ninety pounds cornerback, like people were like, look at the physicality and the way contact doesn't bother him. It's like, no, that's a terrible rep because he can't move, he's got no shake, he's got no suddenness, there's no there's no nuance of the route roading. I saw people tweeting like how good of a date Brendan Rice had, and it's like.
Speaker 1: He did it. He's not a good football player. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: You know, Brian Scout's two to one three at Twitter whatever the hell, Like, just because you watch football doesn't mean you know what you're doing, right, And so I think Joe Milton be a good example of that, Like just put Joe Milton on TV and someone can say, Wow, he throws the ball eighty five yards without a real stride into his step, and can throw the ball sixty five miles an hour with minimal just to kind of flick of the wrist. He's got insane physical tools, but he can't play the position. So I do think he'll get drafted off those traits alone. And quite frankly, he's the only quarterback in the game that I would even look at, because the only guys that I think the Dolphins look at this year are toolsy, developmental guys. Can you trade up and go get a top line prospect? Can you get Caleb Williams If you can, I would support that.
Speaker 1: You can't.
Speaker 2: You can't do it, So try and get a better version of Scaler Thompson, a late round draft pick who doesn't have those big tools. Right, he doesn't have any of those big tools. You can do better than that in terms of your tools. He developmental guy. Joe Milton is that. That's my only quarterback note. I don't have any running back notes. It's hard to gauge the runs and the practice in the passing game period, I didn't really see an explosivity from that group, so I'm not really concerned about it. Plus, I like Raheem and I love Devon a Cham, So I tend to think running back's not really high on the priority list this offseason, unless it's like a Derrick Henry or you know, Chris Brooks style runner. Receivers, Xavier Laguette was probably the most polarizing prospect of the entire week. Down a mobile from South Carolina. I told you, guys, I was super into his game coming in. He's the guy that like showed me away the most. He was two inches short than he was listed. He ran routes like he had rocks, and his shoes like looked like he was. You always want to be quick, but not in a hurry. He looked like he was in a hurry and not quick. That's not good for a receiver.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I love the rest of the receivers in the game, except for I talked about him already, Brendan rece from USC stiff as hell, strapped to a backboard.
Speaker 1: I can't win with that. Now.
Speaker 2: The guys that I did, like Lad McConkey, What a player he looks like. Now, I don't think he's gonna play on the outside, and that to me means I don't think he can play in the first two rounds of the draft. But Daniel Jeremiah compared him to Doug Baldwin, who's one of the best route wuners in the history of the National Football League, and I kind of see that uncoverable quicks identical look to each of his routes with certain subtleties to get lean, to get leverage and exploit that. He's so polished, has no wasted steps. He keeps his pads over his shoes, and it allows him to break out of those breaks or explode out of those breaks. I should say, you see it as a runner after the catch as well. Lad mcconklely's gonna go. Lad McConkie's gonna go in the third or fourth round and be like Danny ammandole for somebody. That's my prediction for him. Now, those are the kind of players that I'm not crazy about. You guys know that about me. I'm a size and speed queen. Not really, I'm a speed queen. And you'll hear that over the next couple of players here. Because Roman Wilson from Michigan is gonna run us up four four. Nobody could keep up with him in the ways that he is like both Waddle and Tyreek in the speed, but also in the detail of his routes. I always pre which that Waddle and Rique their nuance of their route running is what makes them truly special, and the speed takes to a different level, but they're lean their nuance there his explosion. I'm talking at Roman Wilson. Now, he's small, but I'm really cool with him being the second round pick for the Dolphins this year. I think the best feat in the entire class. He's got speed on crossers to run away from those mesh concepts which we need somebody else like that, the double move to take advantage of zero coverage or man coverage that we struggled against so desperately late in the season when you only had one of ten to seventeen for most of the last part of the year. Charles Davis says he thinks that when he gets drafted, he'll there'll be a Roman Wilson package with design touches for us. We already have two of those guys, probably three now with Devon a chan right.
Speaker 1: You can never get enough of them.
Speaker 2: And it's only going to cost you a second round draft pick I think most likely, and a super cheap contract.
Speaker 1: We need a player like this, we just do. I think you need a third option.
Speaker 2: It needs to be cheap, it needs to be reliable, it needs to be immediate success for the next three year four years with the opportunity to replace Tyreek one day. We're not saying a Hall of Fame receiver, but someone who can be the cheap option beyond Waddle right because Wattle right now is the cheap option to Tyreek. I would love to keep those two receiver dominant, like those two guys need to continue here, I think in this offense to maximize it.
Speaker 1: Next was Jamari Thrash from Louisville.
Speaker 2: I think he's an X or a Z like Roman Wilson, plays all the positions, he can play anywhere across the formation. But Thrash had professional polish. He won a vertical where he pressed the toes, went arm over, widened the route and then realigned on the red line to stack the defensive back and made a contested catch. That's polish. That's really good route running. And you saw that in and out of breaks as well. Vertical speed to run pass guys can sink the hips. I love the fit for the vertical slash conversion to a deep curl, those eighteen yard curl routes that we run with tons of anticipation because he can sell it in a way with that vertical speed that sends the safety of the cornerback vertical and then cut back down the line. Try to find fits in your offense in this game for players like that, and I think that Jamari Thrash would have some of that. The guy that I came away the most impressed by was Malachai Corley, whose position fluid. I think he can play in the slot. He can play nasty alignments and tied to the formation. He can be your ex he can play your Z. He can play HVAC, he can play running back.
Speaker 1: This is the kind of.
Speaker 2: Player that I just think the Dolphins need. In fact, we're gonna do a mock draft at the end of this top two rounds Senior Bowl mock draft.
Speaker 1: He's in it.
Speaker 2: She got springs in his shoes with exceptional acceleration, dynamic deep threat, but the physicality to beat and thwart press coverage like he engages, he swipes, he gets into the route. He also played through a ton of contact up the stem all week. He got my guy shaw Smith way from WSHU who didn't see a rep he didn't want to hold on. And the DB's like they'll they'll do that in these drills because it's almost impossible to cover without flagging or without committing fouls in these open space one on one drills. And Jim Naggy, the director of the Senior Bowl, tweeted a photo before and after.
Speaker 1: His weight gain offs.
Speaker 2: He's in training program where he went from kind of just a guy to rocked up, built solid, looking like an absolute monster.
Speaker 1: He's five foot ten, two fifteen.
Speaker 2: He plays like DK Metcalf though, and if he runs in the four fours, if he can clip four or five, I don't even know if he'll be there in the second round, but I hope that he does. I like the way he steps into the end of the stem with a simultaneous stab to kind of come back to the football, like everything is coordinated for him. It's polished with the physicality, which makes him really tough to deal with. Then he plucks the football, doesn't the ball get to his chest pad and eat him up, just plucks it with his hands.
Speaker 1: This is my guy. Can you tell?
Speaker 2: They toss him and end around in the practice and he drops his shoulder on a defensive back who was trying to make a statement hit. Don't do that to this guy. Go watch his cut up. I think Ian Wharton posted a cutup of him, and there's a touchdown run where he has the pylon no problem, but rather than take it, he drops his shoulder and runs dB over to score the touchdown.
Speaker 1: Like he just has that mentality.
Speaker 2: With how much we preach position in fluidity and you know, and Reek in the backfield, anybody in the backfield or the receivers out wide, this guy seems like an absolute perfect fit.
Speaker 1: I will I would wager. I can't.
Speaker 2: I literally cannot wagers I guess my title or whatever. I would wager that this guy will wind up in a Shanahan based offense.
Speaker 1: He just makes way too much sense.
Speaker 2: He also has the hot highest run after catch average in the country this year.
Speaker 1: Finally, tes Walker from UNC is an X receiver.
Speaker 2: He's high cut, long leged, kind of like Chris Chambers was, but he can really sink the hips and out of those breaks as well. A lot of good receivers in this game. Keep an eye on those guys in the game. On Saturday at tight end, I wrote a note on Jaheem Bell, the fullback h back type from FSU. I said, I'm not really sure and I couldn't figure out what that meant. But then I realized it was that he's physical enough to not get knocked off the stem through contact, but I don't think he moves well enough to play the next level.
Speaker 1: A guy that I do think moves well enough.
Speaker 2: I talked about him in the preview Brevan span fod He's an f and a y tight end that's like what we need right from Minnesota. I'm really sold on this dude after working him up. Arguably the best physical gifts the class from a highweight speed standpoint, but you saw the football acumen in the one on ones, tracking corners and verticals with quiet hands to run through the throw. This is probably the best tigh end of the game and I would draft him pretty highly if I had a chance to. Let's go ahead and take a break because I have a bunch of offensive line notes. We'll come back and finish that up, and the rest of the defensive notes. I'll do a two round mock draft for the Miami Dolphins and tell you about my show I'm watching right now that I'm absolutely obsessed with all that. Next Draft Time Podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Autnation. Final segment of the week a Friday, February, the second edition of the Draft Time Podcast. I left you guys with the offensive line notes, and I didn't add to my Jackson Powers Johnson notes right here from the was it the Wednesday podcast? But I just want to go ahead and let you guys know that I think that he is a special, special, special prospect who I would draft for the twenty first pick and a heartbeat if he makes it there. Oklahoma tackle Tyler Geiton is one of a lot of guys that I thought popped this week. So light on his feet, and there are three guys I'm gonna talk about here who are six foot seven, three hundred and thirty pounds and just moves so smoothly. I did feel like he kind of let guys into his chest plate and his fundamentals weren't there on every single rep, and when he would absorb that contact, his feet would kind of flare open. He'd get off balance, get over his pads, and would get overwhelmed by power, which I think will happen to him early on in his NFL career. Hopefully for him, it's just like OTA's in training camp, maybe some preseason, maybe into the year. Then he figures it out by September. But I could see him having a rough rookie year and then kind of coming to figure it out. That's kind of the that's the projection, the trajectory you have to figure out as a scout. And why I think fans get so stuck on this player is this He'll never be anything else. Besides that, it's not that way. Progression is not linear. It happens in different ways. And for Tyler Geiton, I could see him being a high draft pick. He's got way too many physical skills, probably long gome by the time we pick it twenty one. But I could see him being the fifteenth pick in the draft and then struggling a little bit his rookie season. Another guy like that from Texas, Christian Jones. Wow, I was so I didn't know who he was, and then I watched some reps of his during the one on ones, great hands to balance and mirror rushers. He was a three year starter at right tackle, one at left tackle for Texas. That's forty eight total starts. My first note I was like, Wow, he's got skinny ankles. That could be a problem. Maybe maybe he doesn't have this stand in his pants to be able to anchor against these bull rush you know, edge power rushers.
Speaker 1: But then I watch him and he moves beautifully.
Speaker 2: Like as I'm watching this rep, my first thought is, those are some feathery feet man, easy mover, and then literally kind of incepting my brain. Charles Davis jumps in on the broadcast and says, former soccer player, of course he is synchronized the hands with the feet exceptionally well on those reps. He I like this guy a lot. I don't know where he's projected to go, but just watching these reps. There was a rep against Darius Robinson, the Missouri at Missouri edge who's gonna wind up being a first round draft pick, where he Robinson jab steps up the field and then tries to spin back underneath inside, which is a pretty typical pass rush move, you know, widen him spin back inside and he not only cuts off the original like jab step, upfield. He just slides smoothly back into the b gap, drops the anchor, and shuts that thing down. Darius Robinson did not get shut down very often. Chris Jones did a couple times in his work.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm going to.
Speaker 2: The computer right now, to the computer machine to find out where people are talking about this guy, because I thought he looked fantastic. I thought Patrick Paul from Utah was similar, very similar build, big but skinny ankles and great feet. That's a very rare pairing to have, and a very mean temperament with upper body strength upstairs, just solidly built. There was a one on one rep that he won where he threw the guy to the ground with a certain sense of attitude. Six foot seven, three point thirty three also got bold a couple of times where his hands would get widened out and again invites that chess plate.
Speaker 1: Some of these bigger guys, I don't think.
Speaker 2: I don't think they know how to deal with that type of power because they does don't see it all the time, and so they kind of have to learn how to reposition their hands. But they got taking advantage of that way a couple of times. But man, they showed these guys doing some you know, outside pulling, and the way they got off the football I thought was really impressive. Like, I was so curious to watch Patrick Paul fire off the ball, and sure enough he has the snapper he just like I bet you that his tense that will be a ninetieth percentile because the way he flew off the ball on that rep was so impressive. He does that with thirty six inch arms in an eighty seven inch wingspan. I think he has the goods to be an elite tackle, but with how deep this class is, you might be able to get him in the second round on the defensive side of the ball.
Speaker 1: A couple of dts here.
Speaker 2: I mentioned Darius Robinson was a five technique with massive nickel inside pass rush ability at Massura. The position of flexibility is truly JJ Watt like and Brett Coleman who once compared Jaln Phillips to JJ Watt that I thought was.
Speaker 1: Pretty damn good.
Speaker 2: Jalen can play that three technique and can definitely kick your ass in the five technique as well, but from a three and four eye technique, which is almost the same position. Your three technique is the outside shoulder of the guard. The four eye is the inside shoulder of the tackle, so it's basically the B gap right thirteen percent pass rush win rate from there as a five or six technique. Think about Jalen Phillips position eighteen point eight percent pass rush win rate and wider than that the nine techniques out wide a nineteen percent. That's Camwake level efficiency at three different positions. Height, weight, speed guy two ninety five, six ' five. But I saw in the notes that he was also very very well versed and tactical in his rush plan. Coaches were raving about that down there on the field, So he's probably a first round pick as well. So I'm gonna have to consider the first round pick if you're Miami, just like tov Andre Sweat, who is a zero and one technique from Texas, and he might get kind of downgraded in the way Dexter Lawrence did, but he's got some of that, some of that his skill set because of the sheer size and mass. He is the nose tackle in this class, three hundred and sixty five pounds, first step quickness and pure pocket collapsing power, obviously immovable against the run. I cannot wait to go back and watch his tape because he just was a man amongst boys out there in this week. Jordan Jefferson from LSU is a one or three technique, which I think Miami, if we don't get any four back, is a big, big need in this football team. Lots of pop in his hands behind a good pad level and leg drive and pocket collapsing ability. A couple of guys I think makes sense for miamiy there theot' three defensive tackles off the edge. I don't think that either of these guys are in Miami's range. So just kind of making some notes here because well that's what we do. I thought Laatu Latsu was the best player at the Senior Bowl.
Speaker 1: He has a you know, he's a ten year plan. What does it? Don't die? No for him, it's get off the quarterback because his pass rush plan is so well versed.
Speaker 2: Looks like a five year veteran. He has counters to his counters. He tried to spin move that did not work and had the seamless counter move to rip right off of that. Just they build off each other speed to power, big enough to hold a point in base against the run. Feel very good. About his ability to drop in coverage. He's a top fifteen pig. If he had cleaner medical, I'd say he's a.
Speaker 1: Top five pick.
Speaker 2: Chris Braswell is right there too, from Alabama. These Alabama edges are different, man. They're so big, incredible power, speed, power, and speed to power move for him. Played through guys a lot in the one on one drills, which is a trait that I love to see in these drills because there's so much space that guys will sometimes try to maximize that. But he was like, now I'm gonna run through you, and that's a trait that I also value a lot more when it comes to defending a quarterback like Josh Allen. He's six foot three, two fifty five. He has the look of a really good edge in this league. At linebacker, it's the same guy talked about before the week, Peyton Wilson from NC State six foot four to two thirty. They camped him a Kiko Alonzo, which was like, uh no, I don't want that. But the nice thing about the build is it allows him to play heavy but also quick. It's not too often you see a linebacker win a one on one versus running back pass catching drill. He absorbs the inbreak on this rep walls it off, but then has the leverage and you know, leg drive the broad jump to explode out of that kind of put on your heels type of leverage to play forward, make a player on the football broke it up. He's a playmaker at the position at cornerback. I am very intrigued by the slot corners because I think it was a big issue for Miami this year in the slot. I thought cater Ko who's rookie, was all about these type of temperaments and play making abilities. Thought we missed that in year two on cater Kou. I'm not saying he can't do it, but it was a down year for one of my favorite players on the Dolphins team. I start here with Shaw Smith Wade from WSU, who played on the perimeter at pullman Goku's but I think is a slot corner at the next level. I tweeted the rep of him running that route for the receiver and getting the pick, and the common reply was like, hey, that's holding.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was.
Speaker 2: It is on the surface, but practice reps are just different, especially in one on one it's tilted, so heavily towards the offense. So if a guy has to grab a little bit to essentially prevent a guy from running the route to where the help would be, it doesn't really bother me that much. What I saw on the rep was the same thing he did wshoe feisty. He's here to chew gum and mess up your day, and he's all out of gun right, and mess up is not the word I would say a non family friendly show. The only way I ever wanted to describe my slot corners is Tasmanian devil. That's all you need, just a ball of energy wrapped up into a playmaking football player. And while he mostly played outside, need to reroute to play from trail, to compete all the way up the stem to cat blitz to fit the run. With all of that and incredibly choppy feet that helps him jump, leverage, absorb, lean, and stay unencumbered by contact to run the stem without getting tangled is so so impressive. And then quin Jon Mitchell from Toledo, he's a perimeter cornerback. He's out of our range. I just want to put him on the list because he looks like a surefire top fifteen pick and he was fantastic all week long. And then back to the slot from Missouri Chris Abrams Strain. You know what he does if I like him as a slot right challenge, disrupt jack and press coverage. He got flagged like Shaw Smith way during some of the one on ones, but that's clean up a bowl. His intensity is inherent. And then at safety, I have one player, a guy that I actually first noticed because he was playing running back reps Sioni Vaki from Utah, a safety back there for them. He ran a Texas route with choppy feet and the breakdown that shows me exactly what I want to see from a guy who can gather from depth and make plays in space as a as a tackler, but also in coverage where he's so smooth to kind of you know, trail and mirror guys. Just a totally smooth operator think Brandon Jones, but can cover a little bit.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 2: Senior Bold Notes will recap the game and do Kyle's notes on Monday. Also, just real quick few last notes. My mock draft right now, which is stupid to do, but we're gonna do anyways. It's a podcast and having fun and whatever first round, I'm taking Jackson powers Johnson.
Speaker 1: I think he might be there. We'll see, but.
Speaker 2: He is just the way he can do what you already did from your scheme perspective and then add power for gap scheme for past pro and short yardage. What a fine he would be. I hope we can make that happen. In the second round. It's receiver Malachai Corley. I think it's a big, big, big need another eligible who can beat one on one coverage run after the catch, Deebo Samuel. Think that in your entire and you know the Niners, Like, think about the Niners if they had let's say McCaffrey and an I yuk like, drop Deebo Samuel into that, and how would that make the offense continue to click and go? Like it's you can you can get more than two eligibles. A friend text about what the Dolphins and then I said that he said, oh, yeah, two, it needs more weapons, Like yeah, yeah, I always want more weapons, you dummy.
Speaker 1: So there you go. The show.
Speaker 2: I've been watching Fargo. You guys watch Fargo, Holy crap, Season five. I'm on the finale. I'm watching that tonight. That's one of the best shows I've ever seen. John Hamm is phenomenal in that last season, even though he's the worst person in the world. But check out Fargo. I've watched seasons one, three, and five. I know that sounds weird. It's anthology, so isn't actually track the entire thing.
Speaker 1: Season two. I'm watching with my wife. Season four. I just I'm not really.
Speaker 2: Into period pieces, so it's like in the fifties, and I wanted to skip over that, so I went ahead to season five, and five was the best. I thought one was really close to five, and three was really close to that. And the movie is fantastic as well. So Fargo, big, big fan of Fargo. Lastly, Hey, cancer Fighters. Registration is open for the fourteenth annual Dolphins Challenge Cancer on Saturday, February twenty fourth. Sign up to join Miami Dolphins and this year's run, walk and ride and raise funds with the DCC, which donates one hundred percent of participant raised funds for innovative cancer research at Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center. Registration closes Fembruary ninth. Visit www dot ride DCC dot com to sign up and start donating today. Also Seth Labat and I are going to be on the air live at DCC from ten to twelve on nine forty Fox Sports Am on the iHeart app.
Speaker 1: Come check us out at the booth.
Speaker 2: We're going to have some interviews there as well, probably Jaylen Phillips, maybe Jamian Phllips, I don't know.
Speaker 1: We'll see you. So all that good stuff Monday Podcast. Back with you guys.
Speaker 2: Then in the meantime, subscribe rate review, follow on social at link for NFL. Check out my guys on the Fish Tank podcast Seth and Juice. Go ahead and check out the YouTube channel for Media Availabilities Dolphins Today. All that stuff and so much more. At last, butt not least Mimi Dolphins dot com.
Speaker 1: Until next time, bens up on a camera and Daddy just come home.