Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, in that it's a real features.
Speaker 1: I'm giving this little Tony microphone to Peco.
Speaker 3: I do it?
Speaker 1: Does it look funny? Yes? It looks so cute.
Speaker 3: I was just reading my fan mail on your Twitter.
Speaker 1: You're a fan mail? Oh no, thanks, Caitlin. Really shame because Andrea is brilliant and I definitely listen. I agree, listen. Here's the deal. Okay, everyone, welcome to the Renee stubs. What are you are you already telling me what to do? Okay, welcome to the Renee Subs Tennis podcast. Hi everyone. You know, we try and get into studios. Sometimes we can, sometimes we can't. I didn't book it today, so we're in Kaitlin's apartment. So if you hear noise in the background, it's it's New York City, so you need to just get over it. It is time for us to wrap up our US Open coverage. And before we get started, though, it is a happy motherfucking birthday to the one and only Andrea Bitch. She wishes she was thirty. Okay, I'm going to give you my little tiny microphone, and Caitlin and I are going to share one. Okay, So here we go.
Speaker 3: Happy birthday to the do I have to hold it through the close? That's fine, isn't it so cute? It is very okay.
Speaker 1: So let's get started on the US Open. Let's just get right into it. Let's start with the winners, and then we'll get into questions that were sent to me on Twitter. Blah blah blah. And let's start with the men because it was so close. It was yesterday, straight set win for Yannick Sinner. Nobody was surprised by that. I actually picked him to win in straight sets, and I also picked him to win the tournament, didn't I Caitlyn?
Speaker 3: I can't.
Speaker 1: I don't know what about Caitly.
Speaker 3: You know what?
Speaker 2: I picked Tilor Fritz, which I will say in retrospect is stupid.
Speaker 3: However, he made a final. No, I thought there was a brilliant.
Speaker 1: I actually have to give you kudos.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 1: It was good that was I did pick him. When Djokovic lost, I said, Taylor will make the final.
Speaker 4: I was hoping Taylor would put Renee just can't. That's the one thing you should know about Renee. She can't just let anybody have a win, so she will just stamp her name onto everything that Caitlin has achieved with her random ass Taylor Fritz call, who's never made it past the quater finals.
Speaker 3: That is brilliant. And I'm giving you the win. Thank you.
Speaker 1: I'll give you. I'll give you a ninety win because technically my player won the tournament.
Speaker 2: I was happy to see Center win. He deserved the win. Play excellent. He was I thought, improving match to match. I don't know if you guys felt the same way, but he looked even more solid and yeah, sort of unfettered. I think when he came into turn In at the beginning, it was a little bit of the question mark answered questions.
Speaker 4: Answered, Yeah, I think think the I think in the semi finals he didn't look great. I think he was struggling with playing Pukey Jack Draper. I thought in the second week that was his worst match of all. My favorite match, I think the best match he played was the one against Tommy Paul where Tommy Paul played the match of his life and somehow found himself to two sets to love down. I think my favorite match of Yannix was the one against Media Dev because he showed what he can do. One day he was playing serve and volley he was slicing, he was playing a few drop shots. You saw a few in the final as well. But that's where I saw a real improvement from janicks Ina, who just played incredible at the beginning of the year but was kind of zoning, and now I see actual improvement.
Speaker 1: I give a lot of credit to Darren k Hill in that regard, and I know his other Italian coach, Simon, you know, I think he does great work with his technique, and I see him on the court, you know, he's this sort of more of the xces and guy, and Darren is a little bit more of like the stats guy and looking at how to beat somebody and how to utilize his strokes. And I think that he's done such a good job of making Jannick Sinner into a really whole player. And I mean, my god, I agree with you. I was there for that Tommy Paul match and there were times I was sitting watching the points in the stands because I had the night off after because I'd worked the first match, and I was like literally going, oh my god, what is going on? These two are so fucking good. They're so quick, They're hitting the shit out of the ball. I was like, oh, tennis is on a different level now, It's crazy. It's true.
Speaker 3: I got to do an Italian TV hit.
Speaker 4: Oh my God because they super tennis yeh SkySports.
Speaker 2: And he talked to me about the Americans, which we'll get to and how good a tournament this was for them. I think that was the main point of the interview. But then they were like, oh, what do you think about Center and Medvedev? And I was like, I kind of have to think. This is like the final, right and this is probably the highest quality.
Speaker 1: We called it in the green room the de facto final, and we didn't want to take away anything from anybody else, and we didn't, but well, they were the two highest left in the drawer.
Speaker 3: Djokovic were bounced, and we want.
Speaker 1: And the only two guys that want to Grand Slam.
Speaker 2: The only experienced players. Said but no, I love the variety. I love seeing him come in. I love the fact that he seemed to like added dimensions to his game in a way that like I love.
Speaker 3: I mean, does anybody not like this guy?
Speaker 4: I think some people have the and that's what I will say. I think some people are some people find his game boring, but everyone who thinks that. I would just urge them to watch him live, because when you see him live, it's absolute insanity. How he moves, the balance he has at every single shot that he plays, and what was so impressive to me. I called his match against Jack Draper court side, and I think it was the first time. Yeah, it was the first time I called anything of.
Speaker 3: His court side.
Speaker 4: And even with Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal, even they take pace off when it comes to crunch time, when it comes to tie breaks, when they want to make a ball right when it's break point, they sort of go for big targets, a bit more spind Yannickxenner fucking goes for more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he plays faster. I was shocked.
Speaker 4: I couldn't believe it, and I kept and I don't go when I'm courtsided.
Speaker 3: I tried to be respectful of the people in the booth.
Speaker 4: I don't want to come in more than the guys that are actually talking.
Speaker 3: But I just couldn't believe that this guy is hitting harder, and for some reason, his shots seems safer when he hits harder.
Speaker 1: I think it was in sane, but that's his way of playing. Though his player of playing he tries to massage it around and get a little bit like caution in his game. Then his feet aren't working right. And he has the most incredible tiebreak record. And I said it at Wemblede, I said, the thing that distinguishes him apart from so many players, And this is what Novak was doing for a long time, right, not losing a tie break. If you get into a tiebreak with Yannick, you better play really like perfect tennis, because he is going to play, as you said, aggressive and he trusts his shots and he serves big, and he's such a good returner. It's ridiculous how well he plays tennis on hard court. He's just which is why I picked him to win. You know, I just think Alcohoraz is better on the natural surfaces. He moves better on clay, he moves better on grass, he's a little bit lower to the ground. He has that. But Yannick that that sure footing on hardcourt is what makes him so good on the surface totally.
Speaker 2: And I think maybe to your point, Andrea, that maybe is why people take longer to appreciate an etcter because Corolos on the natural surfaces, you can play the spontaneity of the surface better, whereas Yannick is just moving well and it's more like death by a thousand cuts. He's not the best, he's going to be everywhere. He's incredibly well. He's never he's never a balanced and he gives he.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think that the great, great, great players, they don't like react when they miss a shot or what. I think he's arguably the most like quiet, non bullshit, not complaining player I've ever seen play. He misses a ball that he should make and he just turns around and walks the other side. It's unbelievable how he handles adverse moments in matches, Like even Rogers sometimes would like Shakey's or you know whatever. Rafa would sort of gesture sometimes, but oh my god, you know, it's like the poker player you want playing for you. He's unbelievable in those moments. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think that's a really good point because he has this thing that I think the last person to have it was Roger Federer, that every single match he seems to strike the perfect balance of relaxed and focused. I think Roger was the last one because with Carlos. You see it oftentimes that he has too much tensions or is too loose.
Speaker 3: Yes, you can see it with him.
Speaker 4: I think Novak has mastered in a different, different way because he always needs a bit too much tension so you don't notice it, but he lives off of that.
Speaker 3: I'm a little bit angry at everyone, and that's what he does.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 4: And to your point, Caitlin, with Carlos, I think why people And I was talking to somebody I don't I think Robbie Koenig. Actually I was talking to somebody about that. To your point, why Carlos flocked? People flock to Carlos more. When Yannick doesn't play well, as he didn't in the first week, he's right away boring because he's like because he just plays a solid and the other one will eventually miss right and it's boring. But when he plays well, he's the most spectacular player on the world and callous. When he fails, he still plays fails gloriously, and I think that's why people is like, oh the chaos, that's so interesting to watch. And I think that's the difference between the two. Because when Sinna is not playing well, it's kind of like, why is.
Speaker 3: He so good? And then he plays well and they're like, oh, I remember, Yes.
Speaker 2: Can we take a second to talk about Jack Draper, who I think for a lot of people, myself included, hadn't seen him play all that much.
Speaker 3: I was really impressed with his swagger.
Speaker 2: I mean, we need to talk about the puking because one of the benefits of getting the sick churt side. And if anyone's not reading under his substack finite jest, please do because you get incredible tidbits like what you see when people.
Speaker 3: Puke churt side. But I really want to.
Speaker 2: Sort of get you to, first of all, talk through that match in particular, but also like talk us through the Jack Draper model, swagger, Lefty, you know favorite bands Oasis, Like.
Speaker 4: I want to ye, what's my favorite genre is grime and rap I really makes absolute zero sense. First of all, if you have the chance to look at his atp bio page, please do. I was dying of laughter when I was reading it. In Cincinnati. I called one of his matches, and I have to say I really like him. I thought he showed incredible resilience in that match. He was puking and then continuing, and the chair umpire was yelling at him, well, Jack, let's clean it up, and he's like, no, let's continue, let's continue.
Speaker 3: And that was very impressive.
Speaker 4: What was less impressive was the smell that just was hanging andating on.
Speaker 1: It's funny you say that because I went court soide I was at courtside, then I guess the day after, and then I was sitting in the referees area and I was like, why does it smell like puke? And I clearly forgot. I forgot about Jack Draper puking all over there.
Speaker 3: It's just everywhere and everything.
Speaker 4: Camera caught it twice or three times, but Laura Robson was next to me. We're pretty sure we saw him four or five times, or was kind of behind. I was not happy we did a replay of the puke. He's like, guys, we can leave that out.
Speaker 3: This is maybe what the people are here for.
Speaker 2: Like how famous from twenty years ago? Like yeah, it's I just was impressed that he wanted to keep playing. I remember in juniors they used to teach us puke right on the court so that they have to clean it up to recover.
Speaker 3: So smart.
Speaker 2: So you're like oh, I can at least buy myself a little bit of time to like maybe take some you know, tablets, or get my stomachs out all.
Speaker 4: So he just wanted to keep playing, like he just wanted to keep playing. I really appreciated that. I think it had a little bit to do with the fact that he's physically he's gotten better, he said it, but he's still not at the best he can be considering his body type.
Speaker 3: He cramps off and I think.
Speaker 4: I called where he cramped crazy, And I think that he didn't want to be the one that again retires because he physically couldn't withstand whatever Yanick Sinner was throwing at him. And by the way, Yanick Sinner also was spitting pickle juice right in front of for me and Laura Robson, and you were just like basically holding hands hoping for all the smells to evaporate in the air whatever was going on.
Speaker 3: And I love Laura, she is so dry.
Speaker 4: And at one point Jack Draper wiped the puke of the court and then wiped his face and put it in the towel wreck and Laura just looked at me and just very dryly said in terms of hygiene. We can do a lot better down here.
Speaker 5: Like the Queen I was dying a little better.
Speaker 3: So we could do a little bit better down here.
Speaker 1: In terms of hygiene of hygiene, we could do a little bit better down here. So speaking of people that sort of lost a little bit of physical gas, was Francis Tiafo somebody else who sweats like a maniac, and he paid the price because his legs went from under him. He said in the press conference after that, he was like, my nerves got the better of me. And people don't realize when you get nervous, it actually drains your muscles as well. You get tired, and you could see that in the fifth set. And also Taylor just having a bigger serve. It got him through an over line because Taylor, if you look at the video at like I think it was four all game in the fourth set, he looks up at his coach and you know, his coach, Mike Russell. He's usually like very stoic, doesn't really show a lot of emotion because Taylor's so you know, emotional on the court, and he got up out of the chair and he was like come on, and he was like giving it to him like, let's go, let's go. And that was such a brilliant coaching moment because Taylor was he was on the edge. He was like, you know, hitting his legs and you're like, oh my god, is his leg's going And then Mike sort of like giving it to him a little bit. All of a sudden, like two games later, Francis is the one struggling. So that was such an important like coaching moment too, because sometimes, as you know Peco, when you get in those big matches, it's like there's such a fine line between giving it everything and knowing if you can give more. It's like a weird balance. So when something like somebody snaps you out of it, it's like, come on, you can do this. You're just like okay, yeah, I can do this, and all of a sudden you're like, oh shit, I'm up a break in the fifth And that's what happened. It was like ten minutes. It went from Taylor looking like he was he was struggling physically to all of a sudden, Francis looking like he was done, like put a fork in him. So it's interesting, how how is france Is going to jump like just recover from that because that's two back to back five set semi finals that he's lost now at the US Open.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do you want to jump in?
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 2: I mean, if I'm Francis Tiafo and I've had the kind of year he has, I actually take that as a pretty big positive. I mean, yes, the actual match itself and running out of gas is not that great, but I also think, like to get back to where he was last year after a way better year is not actually that much of a step backwards. So I think for me, actually, if I'm his team, I'm like, okay, let's build from there. Like, see, you're still at that level. You haven't missed a step. All you needed was a couple of good matches in a row. Yeah, shame you didn't make it into them or.
Speaker 3: Into the finals.
Speaker 2: But like, I actually thought that was tremendously positive the last like last two weeks, given the season that he's had.
Speaker 1: I agree too, But at least it's something that he's going to have to think about now for like months and months before the Austrain Open rolls around. But they also said that he might he wouldn't be maybe as nervous at the US at the strain Open as the US Open because it means so much to him and all the wanting to be the first black man in the finals of the US Open since Arthur Ash, all the history of you know it just it's a little bit more than we realized, an.
Speaker 2: Extra and just certainly the crowd favorite, and of the Americans, I think everybody's by far chosen.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I think if you pulled ninety nine people on the street, they would say, I want to get the.
Speaker 1: Way A ninety nine percent of the players who and I've asked this question because I did it in Cincinnati, who's the most, you know, fun guy in the locker room, Who's the one that's always in a good mood? Ninety nine percent of the player said Francis too. Yeah. I think the other one was alchhaz So, I mean, you know.
Speaker 2: The one thing I'll say, though, and I don't like saying this, but I think it's true, is I think his ceiling is just so much lower than all the other players. So for me, I don't see him in that final unless he adds layers to his game. I think he was kind of lucky to get there, to be honest, and I wasn't not rooting for him, but I.
Speaker 3: Am so Now she's throwing.
Speaker 4: Now, Caitlin is throwing me a curveball because I was thinking about I thought that the first four sets against Taylor, Fritz Francis Tiafo played the best match of his career. I think what we normally see from Francis is he plays brilliantly, then he goes away for two games, then he plays brilliantly for a set, then he goes away for three games. He played the best match I've ever seen him play. He didn't miss a forehand until the end of that fourth set except one game. That's when he got broken. Taylor was serving a ridiculous amount of eighty seven percent first serve. That's why he won the second set. Otherwise Francis would have won in three sets. He played one bad game where he hit two double faults and shank the foehand. That was one bad game in four sets. That's incredible. He would have popped, probably beaten anybody else on tour. But because Fritz has this big serve, he kept himself somehow in and he kept himself in that foreset because Francis was much better Yea and I think that's what Septus energy because he had to. He was like, I want this so much, I'm going to be extremely focused. He didn't have any ways, and he needs to get there to be this focused at this level for long periods of time without sapping his energy. And I think that's what scept is energy, not the nerves and not the physicality. We all know he's so strong. I think I think he focused. He didn't give himself one single except for those three points and a second set, one single time where he just like looked into the crowd and saw who's there and kind of went He was just there all the time. And if he can get used to this, I think he has a big shot.
Speaker 1: If he can to practice like that.
Speaker 3: You have to practice like that.
Speaker 1: You have to go out there for three or four hours, you know, if it's two hours in the morning and two hours in the afternoon, and have the same mentality that you want to have on match caught if you were going to get through those matches. But he did say the next day, Oh, he did say after the match that the nerves did affect him. So I agree with you. I do agree with you. I think that he needs to be like that. But also the US Open, it just when you were that he was two games away from being in the final. Let's not forget he was four all I'm telling you, Taylor, if you go back and watch the match, he was struggling there physically himself. And I think that energy boost for him when you won the fifth set, and I think he knows he can serve his way through the match then and Francis has to work a little bit harder. And Francis's legs were gone, he couldn't serve, he wasn't serving well well.
Speaker 4: And then we have to mention that thirty one shot rightly.
Speaker 1: Oh my, that's that was pot We're going to get to him. But Nick Curious called that. He said that was the point that absolutely killed he was killed Francis. No one, no one said it enough, I think on the coverage, and it was the point that ruined him and he lost it and then it was over after that.
Speaker 4: Well, I always have to sit my favorites and my big crush, Jim Courier said too. We were on the World Feed together and he called it as well.
Speaker 3: Him like my weird thing with Todd Martin. But yes, sometimes you have these weird things. But he said it incredibly.
Speaker 4: He's so good and he said, he said, I've never he said it, I've never seen Francis keel over on his knees after yeah and yes, yeah, he said, I never seen Francis do this.
Speaker 3: I don't think he can recover from it, and he really.
Speaker 1: So let's wrap up. The American men had a great tournament though, with Francis getting to the Semis and Taylor making the finals.
Speaker 3: We just have to say one thing about Taylor. Fritz.
Speaker 4: Taylor Fritz. I love him to death. He's an incredible competitor. I love that so much. He's so fucking resilient.
Speaker 3: And when I saw him on the bench after he lost the final, sad he was.
Speaker 4: I saw that was the origin story of his neck if he ever wins a major title.
Speaker 3: Seen it in his face, he was plotting it. I love that he's.
Speaker 4: Two one dimensional much that he didn't play one single angle and one time he framed it and that's when he got a free point because was like, oh, that he needs to add something to his game.
Speaker 2: You think at a certain point, after two and a half sets of tennis and losing, you'd be like just serveal.
Speaker 4: Have you seen he was vollied amazing and it's francis amazing And he even said, he said, like, I've never volleyed this way in my life.
Speaker 1: Listen. He and I've had this little bit of a conversation on you know, messaging, because I say.
Speaker 3: Because you're there, you got to.
Speaker 1: I am you got too. And he says, I know we've been trying, but I just it's so foreign for him. But my god, Taylor, if you want to win a Grand Slam against Carlos alz and Yanick Sinner and Novak, because he's still there, you have to improve your net game because there are so many times times that he's playing the most unbelievable shots and not going in and then the ball comes back slowly, and then he smacks another great shot and it comes back slowly, and then he smacks another shot. It's like, oh my god, just take it out of the.
Speaker 3: Fucking air or hit it to an angle, or hit it to an angle.
Speaker 4: Because he plays in credit because yesterday was the perfect example of a player playing the same game the other one just being a tiny little bit better, a tiny little.
Speaker 1: Better, except does everything better?
Speaker 3: Yes better?
Speaker 1: His forehands a little bit bigger, his back ends a little bit bigger, and he can hit that angle. He comes into the net, improve his game.
Speaker 3: He forces himself. Yeah, he forces himself to do it.
Speaker 4: He also played a huge dropshot that it looked terrible, but my power to him.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: And I got to tell you, guys, I saw them practice and he was practicing that a lot. So he's trying to implement the layers. To be a great player, you have to have layers. Now, that's Carlos has done with the drop shot with the forehand. He comes into the net all the time. He has such variety. I mean, Novak improved his net game. He has dropped shot off the backhand, Like, you've got to have variety, and if you don't, these guys are too good.
Speaker 2: I think one thing to echo what you're saying, Andrea, and you're right, Renee, is.
Speaker 3: That Taylor has I think the mentality.
Speaker 2: Yeah, watching being reminded of his note to himself from here ago, saying how much he knew he himself was underachieving and this is not acceptable, and he knew he could be much better and through resilience and adding layers and holding himself to a higher standard of accountability.
Speaker 3: He got to a Grandsom final, which I don't.
Speaker 2: Think even he envisioned, probably for himself, at least not in the short term. So to me, I think he actually maybe is capable of looking having that on it. So maybe that bench moment the origin story Taylor for Taylor to get to the next level. Now that he's okay, I've gotten to a final.
Speaker 3: What what now is the else where can I can? I find more?
Speaker 4: And I will give you a perfect segue to the women now, no do you want? It is about the man, but I will give you a segue as well. So Jim Corea again, Mark Nole, I.
Speaker 1: Mean just an FYI, I do love Jim as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it is notable that I love him so much.
Speaker 1: Yes, because your cheeks are red right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 4: I also put rouge but because it's my birthday, so I will say Jim Corey and it's not It's a story about him that Mark Knowles told me, which this could be a segue into the women's That's why I bring it up. He told me the story that they were really good friends at Balieri and Jim Corea used to get really angry and self sabotage and matches, and one time he lost to somebody he shouldn't have lost to. He was seventeen years old. And Mark told me after that he saw him. They were sharing a room, I think, or they saw him in the gym, and Jim said to him, I will never let this happen to me again. I will never ever lose because of myself again. And until the end of his career he never ever did again. And this is to me absolutely mind blow. Mark No said to me that Jim never again. Would you see him get angry, lose his shit, lose his tempo, whatever, And I he's a different type. But I still think Taylor has some of that in him. I think I saw it in his face when he lost. He wasn't sad and disappointed and everyone is against me. He was fucking angry, and I want to see that emotion because he was like, man, this is not enough. I need to do better. And that's why I think, Caitlin, you're right. I think he has the mentality to turn this around for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I I don't genuinely think he's He's good enough and has the weapons, and you've got to have weapons now to win a Grand Slam, and I think he hopefully proved that to himself. And look Roger and his movement has improved out of sight in two months, like he has gotten faster.
Speaker 3: Is it enough to he needs to be a little bit faster.
Speaker 1: He's a little bit gangly and a little bit sort of he doesn't move real naturally like even Yannick. He's a better athlete. I mean he's a great skier. Let's not forget about that.
Speaker 2: To be on the sloops and the dot, yeah, I think that season and get his bending and his power be slower and be able to be a little more nimble.
Speaker 3: Like the Spider Man.
Speaker 1: I think he needs to stay away from skis. Me imagining him on skis is not a good thing. Jesus knew, but a bit he's improved and he's improved everything. The thing for me is that he needs to improve his net game and if he does that, he can finish points off quicker specialist. Well you know whatever. Anyway, No, I wanted to just put a quick mention in because we don't talk about it enough. The men's doubles. I want to say huge congrats to Jordan Thompson and Max Purcell, because if anyone saw their match at Wimbledon in the finals, oh my god, what a choke it was. It was so brutal for me to sit there and watch two friends of mine, two Aussie boys about to win a Wimbledon doubles title, which is so coveted, you know, in the closet of your tennis trophies as an Australian, and to watch Jordan Thompson just fall apart. The poor guy, he choked so bad and I love him so much. And guess I did the women's mixed up, did the women's doubles. After the men's doubles, you guys. And I came back from the from you know, commentating it. It was like ten o'clock at night. There was no one there. It was like quiet, and you know it's like in the you walk into the players in that door to go into where the player's locker room is, the men's one. Nobody's there, just the security people. And I walk in, I opened the door and who's the first person I see walking up the stairs. Jordan Thompson. And he looked at me before after the men's match, he obviously cooled down, and all the staff and did drug testing and all the things, and then the women's doubles finished. And he's the first person I saw when I walked in, and I looked at him, and he looked at me, and he just looked and I just went I almost started crying, and I put my arms around him and I said, Jordan, I don't even know what to say. And he said, Stubbsy, I'm so shattered. I've never been more shattered in my life. And he goes, I can't believe this, and I was like, listen. I was like, I don't even know what to say to you. But the only thing I'm sorry, but I said, the only thing I'm going to say to you is make this the moment that you decide that you're going to come back and fucking win this next time. I said, that's the only thing you can think about right now, because honestly, what he went through out there and losing that match was so devastating. And it was a great story of the other guys. One guy was working in stats, the English guy go on, he was like working stats for IBM at Wimbledon like three years earlier, on like court seven and he won the doubles, Like what the fuck? And was Eliavara was like working in an airport in Finland. So it was a great story for them, but also for me as an Aussie, I was like, I've never been so sad for a guy in my life and I've just given the biggest hug. I gave him the biggest hug, and I was just like blah blah blah. And so for me to sit there courtside and watch them almost lose that doubles match again, when they're up a set and five three, two match points lost the game, Max Purcell just capitulated, serving for the match, double folded twice. It goes into the tie break and I'm thinking, if they lose this match, I'm gonna jump off the Williamsburg Bridge. For them, I couldn't believe it. And God love them. They pulled it out. They played an amazing couple of last points and they want.
Speaker 3: To thank god they played Jamins.
Speaker 1: Thank god they played people that choked more than the authors, the Gemmans.
Speaker 3: Thank God they played the Jamins.
Speaker 1: I'm so happy for them. So why to go Jordan, Why to go? Max? Maxil already won a Grand Slam but Jordan was such a he was the solid one in this match. He choked at Womberland. But well done, boys. I'm so happy for them.
Speaker 2: Anyway, That actually is a great segue into the women's final, because you can decide to be defined by your worst moment, or you can decide to be the origin of your comeback and the author of your own fortune. Which the winner that everybody predicted and I was delighted to see happen.
Speaker 3: Was Arena Semiga a year ago.
Speaker 2: She was in her ski goggles and Balenciaga hat, having basically donated the final to Coca GoF. We love Cocoa GoF. We'll talk about her more. But like watching Arena claim what was rightfully hers in such a fashion, emphatically, with joy, with creativity, with the fastest forehand, with stress. Yeah, but it was everything that she is, which is everything. She's chaotic, Yeah, I love it. Everybody loves it. She is giving it all.
Speaker 4: She's New York to me, she's the epitome of New York. She's loud, she's in your face, she's chaotic, she's charismatic.
Speaker 3: That's New York to me.
Speaker 1: She's trying to buy the whole place of drink.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's New York.
Speaker 4: I think she's It was really sad for me to see her play Americans over and over again. By the American women are just so good you will run into them at one point exactly because I think New York would embrace her more than anybody else that's not American here, because she just fits the city like nobody else.
Speaker 2: And for what it's worth, I think from what I could tell, even against Navarro and Pagol in those last two matches, as nationalistic as it got at times, I think she's so undeniable and fun that you're watching somebody be excellent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think you do have a crowd that appreciates I think so too. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, have been louder had she been playing Mukova in the final, for example, or another player who maybe had less of a connection to the city.
Speaker 3: But I think, yeah, Arina Sablanca is New York. Like, she's the.
Speaker 2: Most swaggy player. Really happy to see her. Yeah, from last year, everything she gived me, she's.
Speaker 1: A swag But back it up to Mukhova. No, actually, let's go back and say congrats to Jess Pagoula, because to finally break through in a quarterfinal, oh my god, like six and oh like never gotten through a quarterfinal. And you know, as she said to me a couple of times on on the court, she's like, I don't I played great players that either were great players or won the tournament. So we know the loss of von that was the heartbreaker at Wembledon, one for to one point five one third, all the things, but oh my god, like beating Eager in the quarters is an incredible effort to beat the number one player in the world to get through your first semifinal, and the way she played in that match was unbelievable. Eager did not play well, there's no question, but Jess was way too good from and and I knew it, Jess. You know this, pet Coo. You just know when someone's on like immediately, like the nerves are there, but you can tell that they're striking the ball really exactly the way they want. And from the very first game when Eager lost her first serve and she hadn't lost a serve in like twenty six games or something on serve I might have jinked to before the match because I said you've been serving so well, like blah blah blah. And I was like, then she goes out and loses he first service game. I was like, oh, sorry, didn't mean to jin Chu, but Jess was so good, And I said, sometimes you get good Jess and sometimes you get bad Jess. And sometimes Jess gets a little bit down herself, a little bit it's a bit demure and like, you know, it's not working today. Oh my god. From the first get go, I was like, oh, we've got good Jests today. And that was always gonna be tough for eg if she wasn't playing well. And then subsequently, can we talk about being down a set? Was it six to one or six love, six to one, two love break point? Mukhova comes in and misses that unging forehand Volly that she would make nine times out of ten. The thing is about, wait, let me finish this point. Jessica got to that ball that she wouldn't have got to a year before, and that's the extra work that she'd been doing in the marks. Had how doing more work on the court with her fitness, you did if people listened to our podcast.
Speaker 4: I always looked around to people that were there and they were not there strangers, and I was like, i'die.
Speaker 1: Little pet Birdie told me that you were doing more work on the court, and she admitted yes, and you could see that shot she would not have got to six months earlier. And it was a I mean, she nailed that shot and she hits that well, Oh my god, it was a bullet too. And I think that both and I give Mukhova credit because me being a net player coming into the net, she covered the right shot. She's on dead run. You have to cover the line on that forehand with that situation and then you shift to the cross court right and she did the right thing. But it was like a bullet off a racket. And then as soon as she lost that point, I said on the coverage, we all said mark that point, because immediately the next point, Jessica started playing better. It was almost like she started striking it better. And we were all like, oh, here's good. Yes, because jess knew that was her chance to put me away. It was over. If she makes it volley a set and three love, two breaks. She's not losing yourself twice movehovah no way. And then all of a sudden, it was like oh shit. When I went to one, I was like, this is a completely different match right away, and she started hitting the ball unbelievable and Mahovah just went off a little bit. But it was an amazing effort to get that match done in three sets.
Speaker 3: No, it was.
Speaker 4: But what I wanted to say about that shot, to underline it and emphasize it.
Speaker 1: Is underlining a little birthday.
Speaker 4: Yes, because she didn't have to run to this shot, like you know, I mean, of course she would have run, but you know what it feels like to run and to hustle. You know, sometimes you run pro forma because you're like, I'm going to run there, but I know I'm not going to get it. And the reason I say that she was Yes, she wasn't her best, but she was out played for a set.
Speaker 1: And a half. She said after the match, I was so embarrassed.
Speaker 3: I was overwhelmed and out played.
Speaker 1: She said. I felt like a junior. Yes, like I felt like I could not play tennis.
Speaker 4: And I feel like because we've all been there. I've played Serena when she was going for the Grand Slam and I was completely outplayed, and we've all been there. When you're in this moment. That's exactly the shot where you're like, I'm gonna run there. But I'm not going to run there, you.
Speaker 1: Know, because you're like, I'm getting killed.
Speaker 4: You're so embarrassed, you just kind of hope that the match is over quickly. And that's why I give her even more credit for hustling down that ball and trying and making it and then turning the match around, because I've been in these situations when you're outplayed, and I know the feeling of just wanting to get off the court. And she didn't let she didn't allow herself to go in that place where she's like, let me.
Speaker 3: Just get that one.
Speaker 1: And she takes so much because she in the past has done that where she wants to high.
Speaker 2: I think she kind of hid to your point in that Madison Keys match, correct, that's the best or she was just getting outplayed and she kind of just like emotionally down shifted and you could tell, as you said, anybody who's ever played tennis, and yes, they're getting out classed.
Speaker 3: You just get me off the court, get this fucking off. Just I want to be done. I can't wait to be done. And that's what it looked like she wanted to be.
Speaker 1: Done, and that's when people claim she was crying when she walked off the court, which she was not.
Speaker 3: She was just like over it, and you can tell she kind of emotionally just changed. Also, Jess said, after you did you ask her?
Speaker 1: I was I did?
Speaker 4: When you know, I think in the first match, was like, you might be the one ending Shelby Rogers' career today and you're good friends in juniors, and Jess looked at you and she went, it is.
Speaker 3: What it is.
Speaker 4: I'm like, this girl is not fucking crying, and then she was crying when it was really sweet. But she would never cry because of something like this. But she's the kind that, or was the kind that goes like.
Speaker 1: I see like, very similar to Lindsay Davenport, like it's not working for me today, get me off the court, goodbye. And they actually play very similarly when they're on there so good when they're off there, like may I'm out of here today. But huge effort. Even in the final when she was getting crushed in the first set at five to one, it got back to five all and you're like, oh my god, and then down three. Love, I was like, it's over because I had to do the in between sets for ESPN, and so I was only going to go back on camera if she won the second set, right, And I was like, I was not even really not I was paying attention, but I was like, oh, this match is over, so I'm not going back on TV. And then also I was like three one. I was like, okay, well I better watch a little bit, and that was three T. I was like, oh shit, but I was three all. I was like, oh my god, we're going back on TV this She's up five to three, and then all of a sudden, bam, she just that's the one thing, jess She's got to If you looked at the numbers of the final that were very similar except one stat second serves, she was getting crushed on her second serf. I think she was below twenty definitely below twenty five percent of winning the second serves, where Arena was in the forties. And that, in the end, was the difference. Makeup wasn't first serve. Both of them were winning a lot of first serves and are serving it. Jessica was serving a really high percentage of first service, but her second serve was getting fucking crushed. So if there's one area that she can improve on, it is that it's tough. She's five foot six. Maybe it's not like she's going to have a big second service, but she's got to figure out a way to hit sliders, keep it below the net.
Speaker 4: I think the slater was because she always goes for the kids, and then when you smile, the kick sits up. Against players like Arena, who loved the hitting strike point just a bit higher than Hippai. We always talk about how women like to play on a hip. I think Arena likes it just a bit higher because she can lean on it with all her weight and it's so powerful.
Speaker 3: I mean, you mentioned just mixing it up. It's just being to mix it, and I think against these players, it's actually better to keep it low. You know.
Speaker 4: It's same with Sam who had the best kick. Serf in the world always struggled against Maria Sharapova because against exactly against her, it's exactly that little bit lower for Maria to have it.
Speaker 1: And Serena struggled with that because Serena was only about five nineties, not as tall, and she used her hands a little bit more. Maria really leant on the balls. That's why she loved that surf. So yeah, you're right. So those are little things that she can prove, I think.
Speaker 3: And to me, the finals of the women were a higher quality match. To I said, it was better. It much better, much better.
Speaker 4: Also, the audience was much more affector because it felt closer than the Tailor Fritz match as.
Speaker 2: Well, certainly especially in that second set when she started back and was leveling it and you were like.
Speaker 1: And I loved it. I loved her. She was like, come on, and she was like showing some emotion and she did that in the semis too, even when she won that game to go to one, because I was sitting courtside she was walking to her chair and I saw her pumper fisce and go come on, and I was like, oh, good for you, Jess, like come on, you're still in this.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's funny because the mark or as maryka, the mark, the Marky Marks.
Speaker 1: She called, well, I called them the boys from the Bahamas.
Speaker 4: Okay, Mary said the Marky Mark. So the market Marks apparently said to her, that's the one thing they gave her.
Speaker 3: Try to use the crowd.
Speaker 4: We know you're not the type, but this is a major final, the crowd is on your side.
Speaker 3: Arena is so expressive, and so has tried to use it.
Speaker 4: And you saw her when she broke on two one, she broke to go up three one, and she went like this. It was like she just for those people who are listening to a podcast and don't see gestures. I just realized she just kind of like went with her hand, like she just moved her up, but it was so halfheartedly and I was dying laughing because it's not her.
Speaker 3: But she's like, I have to use the crowd, and she's like, okay.
Speaker 1: A little bit. I also can we give a credit?
Speaker 3: Sorry but we interrupted Kit when she was making it.
Speaker 2: But I think for me, the getting to a Grandson final, finally breaking through, making herself and her presence felt on the court, especially against a player who can kind of like out hit her and outplay her.
Speaker 3: In terms of variety.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I also kind of think, like Taylor Fri it's like there should be a little bit more dimensionality now, especially if she's going to be back there, and I would love to see her throwing in the sliders and maybe some of the like hingis and the hennah, like she's never going to be somebody who's you know, maybe flashy or has the neck game of a Mukova.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you where she was good. Then to your point, she hit a couple of drop shots off her.
Speaker 3: Backhand, and she did play the slide, and that.
Speaker 1: Is big because she hits the ball so big. What makes a great drop shot her is somebody who hits they're either like a you know, like a Roger Federer, where they have feel that's like ridiculous, or they have such big groundstrokes that you constantly always like when they gave an easy one, you your first move is backwards. Your first move is a step back, and then bank they hit the drop shot. That's why Alcarez hits it off the forehand because you're like, oh my god, he's about to crush this forehand, and so you take that mini step back and then bank. He just goes to the drop shot.
Speaker 4: Jess has to do that on the back can be as ugly as sinners because it is maybe the ugliest shot in the world. Is so likely and he misses, and he also looks like he's telling it, you know how he's so natural and flowing and everything he does. And then when he puts the places the drop shot. It looks like he's telling himself, Okay, Yanni, now you play the drop shot.
Speaker 1: There you go. Yeah. Anyway, so we just there.
Speaker 3: Delicious, totally.
Speaker 1: For selly, for silly red facili.
Speaker 3: Should yes, a few more, Yeah we were, that's just what a great effort. But just a few more words on Arena. I think, go for it.
Speaker 1: Just amazing, amazing.
Speaker 3: I think it's hard because she was so good.
Speaker 1: For sure, she didn't sleep all night long. She's already said on Twitter that I asked her, what are you gonna do, and she's like, oh, we're gonna party, don't worry. And then she said to everyone, don't worry. I will be back practicing soon. But I am going to party.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, she should should. This is what fuels her.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's what Serena did when Serena Wan and she partied man and she she like rewarded herself with that time and then back to the drawing board.
Speaker 4: I just I just want to say a few more words on Arena because when she was up five to two until I think in the second set, because we had stats that just started.
Speaker 3: Hitting the ball bigger.
Speaker 4: She went up by six to eight miles per hour more on the forehand side after she was down three to zero. So I don't take so much away from Arena, but I do think when she was up five to two in the first set, she got a bit nervous and she gave just a few points that made her come back to five all.
Speaker 3: And in that moment, it felt.
Speaker 4: To me like Arena was not only playing Jess Pagoula, but she was playing Cocoa Go.
Speaker 3: From last year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she was playing agacon Tech from the year before. When she was up a break in the third set, she was playing Leila Fernandez from the year before. When she was she she was so close every time, and I would just remind everyone. In the second round of the first you know, omi Osaka one, Arena Sabalenka unknown and Omio Soaka a little bit better known but also unknown played each other. And then the match of the tournament, I think we.
Speaker 3: Talked about it.
Speaker 4: We win their first exactly and Arena lost seven five and the third, so it goes even further back, and it just felt like she saw all these players on the other side at the same time.
Speaker 1: I wish we if we through, but I wish we could film this and like put it up and just have like all those players on like a TikTok. Can you figure that out? And then and then just.
Speaker 3: Like hi, yes, I.
Speaker 4: Feel like it felt to me like and then she overcame. And that's what I love about her. She yells at herself, she hits a big shot, she goes like, let's go.
Speaker 3: And then she overcomes it.
Speaker 4: And that's and I just wanted to emphasize that that that's very very.
Speaker 1: Very ghost of of of.
Speaker 3: Semi finalists past.
Speaker 1: I mean, although although she did she did win one match against Madison Keys that she had no business winning last year.
Speaker 3: That's true. That's true.
Speaker 1: Okay, So this is the one that gil has also got some scar tissue.
Speaker 2: From the US, especially given you know, the beginning and ending of her year and just some tough stuff in the middle and the boyfriend and the stuff, and just you know, I think what I like so much about her and why she's such an easy popcorn pick for anybody who doesn't follow tennis so closely, is everything that's happening you see her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent of the time.
Speaker 2: Yes, And it's so you can't relate to her tennis or her ferocity, but you can certainly relate to the emotional state she's in in a way that's like so wonderful to celebrate when she pulls it together and it's joyous and you know, great, So yeah, no.
Speaker 1: I yeah, And you know, this is somebody who lost her dad, like you know, a bunch of years ago. That's always, you know, forefront in her mind as well. A little thing on Coco. She's got to get that second serve. She's got to fix the second serve. You cannot play in a quarterfinal, was it quarters?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Uh no, No, rand the sixteen against someone and almost win the match and hit nineteen double faults. You just can't. She has to figure out a way. Yeah, of course. I mean we you know how much we love her, and she's a great kid and all the stuff, and she works unbelievably hard. But that that to me, the second serve, yips and lack of stability.
Speaker 3: Let's not talk.
Speaker 4: We talk about Coco literally every single podcast. Can we please talk about the moment of you and Brett Gilbert to me? Nongratulations, No, I honestly I wrote it to you. I texted to you. We didn't see each other even though we worked at the same fucking venue.
Speaker 1: For No, I didn't see you, not one single time.
Speaker 3: Actually the one time I came to you during qualifying.
Speaker 1: It's crazy, It is crazy. I didn't see you one time and we were literally at the same place for three weeks. Yes, but I got more chance of bumping into you on lower e side than I do at the Tennessee. Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, But I first I want to say I think you did well, and then you can tell us how it felt being on air, because I'm sure it must have felt awkward. But I think you did well in not being not shying away to criticizing a player or the coaching team with the coach being present, which I think I've been broadcasting, not as long as you, but for a while.
Speaker 3: I don't think we should do that.
Speaker 4: I think the inside is great, and you can interview him on the next day or you can have him on whatever. But I don't think you should have an analyst that is supposed to mutually analyze what might be going wrong sit on the same stage with the guy who's coaching them. Because then you you did great. You still said you have peace, and you still said and you were still respectful it was like, this is a little bit awkward, bred but I have to say that these things need to improve. But you could have just as because I've been in a situation on German TV in that where I was like, this is awkward. I don't know if I'm going to say, and then another person said something on it I got, well, yeah, so I got the kind of the choice was kind of taken away from me. But I was in the situation, so I know what it feels like to be, oh, should I say something that's maybe I shouldn't say. I just want you know, you could just as easily have done that, And I don't think the people should put you in you or anybody else in the position to have to decide in that moment should I criticize somebody or should I not because this might be awkward situation?
Speaker 3: And you did really well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, listen, it's not easy. I'm not sure if he was actually supposed to be there at that time. You know, we have to sometimes like change the scramble, the scramble who goes on the desk because some people might be calling matches or whatever, and I'm not sure he was supposed to be there. At that time, but he was available, and so you know, in some ways, I'm sure ESPN like, oh, it's great we can hear from the coach of the player, and it's sort of great, but also a little bit awkward for people that are working there. But look, the bottom line is, it's like, in that situation, I just feel like my job is to also tell people at home she's losing and why she lost that match. That's my job. And you know, Brad's a professional. He understands, he's not going to be He doesn't hold it against me. This is it's part of the job. And if you know, Darren Yannick loses, I'm sure if Brad was on the desk with Darren and he did nineteen double faults, he'd probably say, bro, you got to get your bro, you got to get your player to not hit double nineteen double faults and this is what I see that could improve, and you would say, yeah, that's right. So I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: I thought it was brilliantly handled. I agree with Andrea's compliment. I think the chatter online that accompanied it was probably fell down along lines of, you know, people who are looking for drama or looking for for there's no drama.
Speaker 3: No, and there's clearly no drama.
Speaker 2: But I also think if you're going to have coaches, and this sport has sort of, you know, some interesting relationships like Mary Joe Carrillo sorry, Mary Joe Fernandez is married to the agent of Active Players.
Speaker 3: You know, there's all sorts of it's small world and it's tangled.
Speaker 2: So for me, it's a little bit more about if you're going to have the coach there, then let's have the conversation. And you did, and I think that that was what's great about it. For me, it's you know, you're you're explained to not have the conversation in front of a crowd of people who are watching feels irresponsible and he should be able to speak to it.
Speaker 3: And I think he did. But I thought you made great point.
Speaker 1: I think Mary Joe does a good job because Mary Joe's husband is the agent of Coco. But I think Mary Joey does a good job of actually still criticizing. I think she does you and I think not criticized, it doesn't explain yes going And I think, just to make myself clear, because I don't know if I did I think they.
Speaker 3: I think it's great.
Speaker 4: I'm actually not on the on the wagon of we shouldn't have coaches commentate, because I think it adds incredible inside. I think what I want to say in this particular moment. I think Brett should be interviewed by Chris McHenry, for example, separately, so he can explain, this is what we are working on, and he's not going to give everything away, of course not, but he can give some sort of insight, and then in a separate segment they can have an analyst, whether that's you or Mary Joe or whoever. An separate analyst feel freely about talking what they think from a mutual stamp, but without being emotionally involved. So I don't I'm not on the thing that Brett shouldn't be on TV or shouldn't coach.
Speaker 3: I think it's great that we have both.
Speaker 4: I just think that he you know, I think they shouldn't have put you together. And I have worked in TV two and sometimes you can plan it that way. That's like part of the madness of a Grand Slam tournament, where everything seems to be happening always at the same time, or nothing at all for some reason.
Speaker 1: Around doing nothing or we are non stop.
Speaker 2: It's crazy ye anyway, for me, the last thing I'll say about it as the most sort of neutral party here and somebody who's not commentated matches or coach anyone is I learned so much more when I hear people who are coaches and understand I agree so much. Whether I agree with what they're saying or fit passes the smell test, it feels defensive either way, Like coaching and tactics and improving are all things that anybody watching tennis can take away from a conversation like that, And for that reason, I like it, even if it's not necessarily something I agree with. Like I think, just as you were saying about Taylor Fritz and Michael Russell sparking his player at the time, like we underestimate. I think how much having a good team around you and having the right tactics and working on the right stuff can help Arina Sbleka to go back to her Not only did she personally defeat ghost after ghost of her past US Open tournaments, but also she sort of now famously because it was captured really well in Breakpoint, has this incredibly positive, forward looking, supportive team of bald men who were just surrounding her with like love and positivity, and it's so clear that it's fueling the good parts of her and not letting her dwell in the past. So I think for me, it's a huge component of the game that I love hearing about, and for that reason, I love that it became a topic of discussion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, whether people agreed or not, well.
Speaker 1: I'm glad I might both happy anyway.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, I think I think it was good to be so and also to be fair good TV. Sometimes it is also that, you know, sometimes we see you too morally.
Speaker 1: Well, you're never going to get that from me kind of anyway. Listen. So I want to get to is there any other things about the US open that you would like to discuss? Because I got some questions that were sent in on Twitter. So do you want to get to the.
Speaker 3: Okay? Well, really, the hats are good.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: The merchant needs every.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, I think it needs to be The merch is similar every year, so they need to have a.
Speaker 3: Different line if it's getting better. But I think the merchant better.
Speaker 1: I did see someone with the tennis whore, actually a couple of people with the tennis hor T shirt from Racket and I gotta say it's two thumbs up. There was also a woman, oh man, I meant to bring her card that gave me a really cool T shirt. Thank you for that. She came up to me at Armstrong and gave me her card and the whole thing. And it's a tennis court stuff. Thanks for that T shirt. That was very cool. And I know I should have brought the card to but she she'll know if she listens to the pot, she'll know exactly what I'm talking about. But let's get to a couple of questions. Is that okay? Yeah, the schedule. Phil wants to know the schedule. Why can't they start at six pm?
Speaker 3: That's my question always? Why can they?
Speaker 1: And why don't they start at eleven am so the long day matches don't run into the night session.
Speaker 3: I mean, but what I don't understand. I honestly don't know.
Speaker 1: Why can they I don't need to, I don't know. So that's something that we need to get fixed.
Speaker 2: Tickets would not get anybody in the stands because everyone's waiting for work to be done to come out to Queen's and a text forever but I think doesn't matter. But seven five p sixty eight pm start is better than a two am finish.
Speaker 1: Yes, and the women should always be first. Sorry, yeah, I mean, I mean I understand. Can't be going on a fucking match court. Like I had to say, I did. Both of those late matches, the latest one in history and the third latest one in history, started at eleven something eleven fifty eleven eleven thirty. I mean, what are we talking about here?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: The latest the women are going to get on the men? Sorry, after women's match, the latest would be ten o'clock. I mean three hour match at seven. Okay, that's possible in Norman's game, but that's ridiculous. Okay, how far in advance do you know which matches you would be commentating on ESPN as well as doing on court pre match blah blah blah. Also, looking back, is there a favorite match you commented on and why? From Mike? From Michael Dickens, What about you?
Speaker 3: So I always about it? Yeah? I think so. I always find out.
Speaker 4: We get the schedule depending on how things went between nine pm, which was on the early side, and ten ten thirty, depend if it was like raining or matches got canceled. It can be later, but I think around the nine thirty ten pm mark is when I would get my schedule and I get the two matches I will call and my favorite.
Speaker 3: So I always called two matches a day.
Speaker 4: I don't know how it is with you, and then my fate, and then I sometimes do extra stuff for Germany, which I did here.
Speaker 3: So I double people the thing yes, correct and King. And then the.
Speaker 4: My favorite match to commentate and was the best match in my opinion of the whole tournament was the Donavecage against chin Win.
Speaker 1: Absolutely the best women's match of the tournament was one that half the people that wanted to watch it didn't watch it because it was on till two fifteen am. Correct, And there's no doubt that chin Win was struggled after that playing sabal Anca. It was zero sleep and you know her.
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 1: The brain? What is it? Yes, it would have been all fucked up, like sorry, impossible anyway, So that is yeah.
Speaker 2: I like that you post the schedule of when you're commentating because certain people myself included Lake, listening to specific matches knowing certain people are going to be.
Speaker 3: On the castle. Please do that. The commentators, including you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do that for you same, I get it abound eight o'clock. It depends on various things. But we were starting to get it a lot earlier than we used to. There were times when we wouldn't get our schedule until midnight and I'm like, what match am I doing tomorrow? I gotta go to sleep. But so I appreciate that so much. But yes, we get it the day before, and then we prep for it that night before the next day. I don't really prep That's a whole different story, all right, scheduling. Why are we putting best of three after best of five? Well, we just answered that question. We don't think that it should be. Do we say something nice about Guadalajara? They've been shuffled to a pretty dead slot for a five hundred, They have Ostapenko playing blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: I love Yeah, I'll say I'll say it if you were bummed your favorite player, Daniel Collins got bounced.
Speaker 3: The US Open. There's still tennis.
Speaker 2: Also, it helps cure my depression after the US Open that they're still amazing tennis to be watched in a time zone that is not crazy like uh in Asia. For example, if you're in America, so I will speak to Guadalhara.
Speaker 3: I love it, and I think it's great. I think all.
Speaker 1: Yes to interview about their plays while tournament is still taking place. Yes, so we're getting a lot of these sorts of things. But the bottom line is it's not going away. We're still going to have coaches that are commentators.
Speaker 3: And oh wait, so this person doesn't like that.
Speaker 1: Yes, some people don't like it at all.
Speaker 3: Okay, I think as long as we how do you feel about it? I think I like, like.
Speaker 4: From a new I know that you like, but like from a newtub person, you also think it's a problematic.
Speaker 3: I think it. I see the point that it's problematic.
Speaker 2: I personally like it because we get better insight as long as everyone's honest and people are are asking hard questions.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, LG. He says, what's being done with all the outburst and anger on the courts? It feels like anger management is needed big time. Honey, that's called that's being forever in a day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I will agree that for some reason, it's been more and Cincinnati here I didn't feel that.
Speaker 3: But remember last time we talked in Cincinnati.
Speaker 4: There was one meltdown after another, So I think it was with a big I think it had to do with the Olympic year and having so many tournaments and everyone being here.
Speaker 1: And also everyone's been losing their mind forever. I mean, do we not remember you cannot be serious kind of thought.
Speaker 3: This was sort of a team tournament in terms of behavior. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: It was also I have to say that.
Speaker 3: And I feel bad about it. It was kind of a bad tournament.
Speaker 1: There were not a lot of Yeah, there wasn't a great Yeah last year was in this.
Speaker 3: Year and you have that.
Speaker 4: You have that sometimes you have a tournament where there is one Remember at the Austraian.
Speaker 1: Wimbledon was incredible this year, Yeah, Wimbledon was really good.
Speaker 4: But remember at the Austraian opened, we had that one day where everything happened and then the next day everyone lost one and all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was weird because we felt like they were like, oh my god, yesterday was so amazing. There were one day there was one day that was tennis was at the US. I was unbelievable, and then the next day it was like, yeah, so it happens. The bathroom break obsession the freak out and pearl clutching. This is from Iree, like this person is mad about people going off the court for bathroom breaks. I see, I agree.
Speaker 2: Actually this person is an eager fan and they say that it's freak out and pearl clutching when it's Egan silenced one of the plavias to do it. I do think certain players who maybe don't have If people need a reason not to like somebody, maybe it becomes more like just felt like it was like, do we just not like this guy because he's just taking a bathroom break?
Speaker 3: What's the big deal.
Speaker 1: There are absolutely some players that go off the court when they don't need to, and they do it because I need a reset and it's in the within the roles. So what are you gonna do about it? What do you think about it?
Speaker 4: I don't like it when they lose a set in twenty minutes and goes the key. That's what it annoys me.
Speaker 1: I went. However, do you know how many times I went off the court?
Speaker 3: Mean I never went. I will say I went once and I will tell you where.
Speaker 4: And Kitlin will understand because she lived at Wimbledon in Guangzhou when it was ten billion the grace you can. I've never been in a place that was humid. I think it wasn't one hundred percentument. I think it was one hundred and twenty.
Speaker 3: My shoes were dripping and I was leaving.
Speaker 1: That was saying on the sad plight the finals in Guangzhou, and I had to change your shoes.
Speaker 4: So that was the only time in my life that I went off the court change my stuff.
Speaker 1: Twice once at Wimbledon because I had my yuna.
Speaker 3: What that's what I mean. I don't want to.
Speaker 4: I'd always give women because somebody was like, why it was against Mokhova against hadatch Maya, and Mohova had won the first at six to one in twenty three minutes, and somebody asked me, why is she going to the aroom? And I always say I would never say anything about a woman going after the bathroom because you don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't know. It's the one time when I ran off the court. The other time was in a warm up at the US Open when I had to go number two so bad, and that I wasn't.
Speaker 3: Talking about it.
Speaker 1: I wasn't sure.
Speaker 3: I wasn't sure if I was or if it was just gudy with women.
Speaker 4: With women, I think we have to be a little bit careful with approaching.
Speaker 2: Listen, if anybody who's a lady who has a uter spons to go after the bathroom, then I don't ask any questions.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, you girls. We've been asked a lot in questions about the curious situation and his misogyny on Twitter and what you think about it. And I will say this, Okay, I'm going to say this as someone who worked with him at ESPN. He is an incredible analyst. He's his stuff is a plus, and he's and when he commentates the women and I've sat next to him when we when we're having to commentate about a women's match, he's very respectful for the players. I'm going to put that out there. He speaks very highly of all the women players. He never says no, I mean because the next is coming, right, the other stuff is coming. But when it comes to talking about them playing, he's very very positive about them. He's not like, oh she's so slow, or she can't eat a serve, or this sucks this tennis doesn't do any of that. He's very very positive about it. The other stuff not good thoughts substack.
Speaker 3: My I have. I wrote it down.
Speaker 4: I think writing is always easier because you can exactly pinpoint what you want to say, but I will try in words as well and speaking I think that I think it's sad, That's what I think. It makes me sad. It really it doesn't. I thought it made me angry, but now thinking about it, it makes me sad because I think he could be a fantastic TV personality period. I think he's already a great analyst, but I think he could be a fantastic TV personality in general. And I think he's self sabotaging and hurting himself with the he puts out there on social media. The reason I say that is yesterday, I don't know if you guys watched Tom Brady's first day on the NFL, so if you.
Speaker 1: Have heard me, was watching the WNBI game, and so he.
Speaker 4: Got so much hate, and kind of rightfully so, because in the first quarter he sounded unsure of what he was saying, even though he clearly knows exactly what he's talking about. He's the best guy who's ever played this game.
Speaker 3: He's the best quarterback.
Speaker 4: And I know from people that they have rented a facility in Orlando, Florida for him to practice every day there. So they've been training, giving him, I think, and asted like a ridiculous amount of money, just calling old football games for him to practice and giving different play by place. That's what I've heard. I don't have the confirmation, but that's what I heard. And the reason he got so much hate was because people were like, why does he because he would always go up with his voice.
Speaker 3: In the end and he sounded unsure. Yes he sounded unsure. He's not unsure, but he sounded unsure, and there is a disconnect. And the one that I think that.
Speaker 4: Was a great shot cross card Chriss Court, but he almost asked it like a question. So he was like, oh, he did that play and he's like, Tom, are you asking us or are you stated yeah, exactly. And so what I why I bring up this example is the sound of his voice on TV sounded like he didn't know what he was talking about, even though the reality is a different one. But this disconnect people who are watching TV cannot put together. And all I'm saying is for Nick Curios, why he needs to be careful. At one point, what he writes with his online persona will create a disconnect to what he says on air, and that's when he gets into problems because right now people most people already I seen many that are like I don't want to watch when Curios is on, even though he's really good, and I think many people will start to not believe him when he says respectful things about women's tennis, and that's where his problem is, and that's why he needs to be careful. And it frankly makes me sad because he's a great talent for broadcasting and I wish he was in tennis, and I wish he would make the sport cooler and bring in more young people to watch. And he's a good analyst, but he needs to be careful and it makes me sad.
Speaker 3: I think that's what I want to say about it. I don't have much to end to that.
Speaker 2: I think you're completely right retweeting Andrew Tate is saying something, whether he's intending to or not. And I think when you get elevated to being the voice of a tennis broadcast, even if it's somebody's you know, if it's somebody's first tennis match, if they're watching it and they associate you with the sort of stuff that I don't think he would want to be associated with it. It's unnecessary and I think, you know, he owes himself and this is kind of where he I think got into trouble as a player. He doesn't take himself seriously enough, and I think that's a little bit of the issue, like training, getting a coach, doing all the things that you as a player, who I think, from what I could see, is probably one of the most prepared people not only on the court but also now off as a broadcaster, like have have the self respect to do this really with full intent and effort, because you'll be incredible at it, as he was at times on the tennis court. So to me, it's I think there's something self defeating and I think so a little bit performative that just let it go, dude, like little self sabotaging.
Speaker 3: Yeah, self sabotaging.
Speaker 4: And I wish you would because if you think about it back and I mean, I'm not going to get into sex lot.
Speaker 1: Of stuff that's it's dumb, like you just sometimes you know, there's amount of times I've written stuff on Twitter and I'm like, yeah, nah, I know I've matured, yeah, but I'm just like, this is not a good this is not a good look, this is do I really need to put this out there? And then I just delete it? And I think he has a hot time doing.
Speaker 4: That well, and I think the self sabotaging comes back to hurt him nobody else because people will move on and they will forget. Well, actually now people don't forget anymore, which is another.
Speaker 1: Because it's there forever and they screenshot it. Yes, it doesn't matter if you delayed it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's another problem.
Speaker 4: But in general terms, they don't go through life and think, oh, remember what Nick wrote on Twitter or ex or whatever. You know.
Speaker 3: They don't.
Speaker 4: But for him, it's sad because that's kind of what he did as a tennis player too. He would play amazing and then he would self sabotage by a single situation that he couldn't handle. And I hope for him as a human being, whether you like him or not, I hope for him that he can overcome this because he could have a stellar career without all this and all this noise. And I think for him life would be also easier if he didn't have to wake up in the morning and face the controversy all the time, and I just wish him that he can overcome that for himself.
Speaker 1: And I think it's you know, I've discussed this with you both, and I just think sometimes with Nick, the problem is he was I'm convinced as a child he was bullied quite significantly. He was grew up quite heavy. I mean he was fat. You look at the photos of him as a kid. He was dark skinned in Australia, so he would have he was bullied a lot as a kid in Australia. And I think now that he's older, he's sort of turned that into that sometimes, So he's gone from facing that as a kid to turning and being that way. Which is why he's great with kids, because I think he sees himself in the kids to not bully children or be so good with kids. He's amazing with kids.
Speaker 3: But this I have to interrupt you.
Speaker 4: You never punch down, and you punching on women's tennis is punching fucking down. Because you can talk about equality and equal prize money, women's tennis is not equal to men's tennis and almost all factors.
Speaker 3: Even though we tried.
Speaker 4: And could we say, shitting on women's tennis is punching down. So if you don't punch down to a kid, you don't punch down to women's den Absolutely.
Speaker 3: What I have to say and.
Speaker 1: I will say about women's be wondered is in.
Speaker 3: Every single women's sports. You're the one who's in WNBA because you go to all.
Speaker 1: Women's sports and you are kind of don't No, I'm not giving you a pass. I'm trying to have you understand why he does the dumb, shitty house. I'm not give him no pass.
Speaker 2: But I also think, yes, when people are bullied and I into a bully, then it's a sign of an emotional immaturity and it's a punching down.
Speaker 3: It's not just about women's tennis.
Speaker 2: You know. The remarks have been about other women women tennis players, and it's just sort of like, grow the fuck up, dude, grow up like nobody's impressed with your Like I'm trying hard not to look like I'm trying hard, which is why I'm wearing a hoodie and a hat even though it looks stupid, Like, come on, just grow up. You owe it to yourself as a human being. As you're saying and also to the rest of your professional peers to be the best analyst and to be the best person that they can count on as a coworker, and you're putting them in danger. Actually, if you're gonna tweet stuff about another player's girlfriend, and it's just your performance has now outlived its self shelf date, but also you're now affecting the other people that you now work with. And I think that to me is like, if he can get over that, and if he can get past it, then yes, he'll be an incredible boon to the sport. He's charismatic, he's funny, he's a good analyst, as you're saying. But I think at a certain point your choices are affecting more than just you on a court.
Speaker 3: It's not just you tanking on a court. So you get to be done and find an emotional bailout.
Speaker 2: No, no, you're you're gonna have to sit next to the people who know that you tweeted Andrew Tait or tweeted about another woman on the tour, and they're gonna have to try to take you seriously and probably have some conversations behind closed doors apologizing for you or maybe trying to make the case to keep you around, and I just think, like, that's not how you want to be as a as a person, as a colleague, as a coworker, as a man, and not up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that's not really good point, because no, that's a really good point because the biggest transition from tennis player to post tennis player is you start to work in teams. It's not and yes you have a team as a tennis player, but they cater to your needs you pay them.
Speaker 1: To, and then you have to start like, you know, because see what he said about Sinna, you had to like there was avoidance with like the cineer matches and all this sort of stuff. So it's just like it puts, as you say, Caitlin, it puts everybody who's working with him in a bit of a bind. The women's doubles, we forgot to say, what a great effort from Kitchenok and Ostapenko to win that in Kitchenock from Ukraine, like to see her win that doubles and the double kit on match point that they did the VR var and said no, it's a double hit. I was like, I can't believe we're getting a var on match point of the women's doubles and then they got it right, thank god, because they got one wrong. But that was great to see. So I just want to throw that out there.
Speaker 3: And Nadia and Kitchen had to push her wedding back. Yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: That was so funny. She's like, we're supposed to get married four days ago and Wednesday, so that was awesome. I want to say, if you go out to the US Open next year and you get your honey deuces, remember I told everyone to get a double. That's one thing that I will tell you. Get to get a double, not just one shot of vodka. Or this is the secret of secrets thanks to Serena Williams. Get it with tequila.
Speaker 3: Oh, we always get it with sequila. It's much better.
Speaker 1: What the fuck? How of me, a tequila drinking lover, not realize that? And I have the tequila in the honeyduce and it is seven billion times.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought that was an open secrets.
Speaker 4: We always we go to a bar to celebrate my birth later on my midday they do the honeydews with tequila.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, let me tell you something. That's the winner for me. And they make a lot of money with those bloody honeyduces. The tournament was incredible. It was packed. We have tennis fans out the wazoo that want to come every year. I do want to throw out a thank you to Odaman Piquet. I'm wearing their watch still and I have to sadly give it back tomorrow. If you're going to shut out sponsors, I'll take I mean listen, if they would give me this watch, I would keep it forever. But sadly I have to give it back next week tomorrow actually, But I want to thank them, and I want to thank Argent they gave me a nice couple of outfits and cal Meyer Danielle Kalmyer. Because it was it became oh my god, I've got to up my game every day now because people were making comments about moutfits, I was like shit, I felt pressure every day. So hey, listen, people out there, you want to give me some mouthfits next year, I'll take them. What about you, pet Go Because you got a little bit of love as well on the old intranet in the social media.
Speaker 4: I lived that expectation every day of your life. Because I'm a fashion That's what you have to cope with.
Speaker 1: It's your fashion expert. We're wrapping it up. Yeah, that's it. That's all I got for you, guys.
Speaker 3: You happy, I'm happy.
Speaker 2: Thanks for coming over to my apartment, uh to do this podcast. And also I will say I think it's cool that the tennis players are now as the commentators have started to do, are doing essentially tunnel locks with their fits. So everyone's game from spectator the player to commentator. I feel like fashion wise has really stepped up.
Speaker 3: Should we talk about podcast? Okay, pass take about.
Speaker 1: Let's pass on that. If anyone ever comes out with a large bow on a tennis cone again, no, it's it's an absolute two thumbs down. There's only one person that's pulled that ship off through her career, and that was Serena.
Speaker 4: But still also would have looked crazy on everybody. I think Naomi also worried.
Speaker 3: Willy, I mean, so unique and whatever, but.
Speaker 1: Are you buying? Are you, as a consumer of a tennis outfit, going to buy a big boat on it tennis?
Speaker 4: So I know from Adidas when they made Zebra outfits. Yeah, yes, So when they made them, they said they strict, they were not sure because they do all these testing and they weren't sure whether people will buy it, but they did that to create a social media buzz.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, Nike, Nike needs up its game because it's getting eaten alive right now by a lot of other competitors.
Speaker 2: So I don't know those Yoga Moto two years of Friendship and kids. The Zebras and also the black with the flowers are extremely hard to find and very very retail market.
Speaker 1: I also loved Matthew McConaughey voicing over the teasers for ESPN in the last couple of days. It was nuts. It's like, what is happening? He was very cringe am I cringing and on the on the video or in person, like.
Speaker 4: His whole thing and during the final with the weird hand gesturing and the Bendah.
Speaker 1: Well, well I didn't I didn't really see. I said, I was watching the Liberys.
Speaker 4: When I go to things with my dad and he behaves and you're like, oh my god, I'm d up embarrassing me, That's how I felt about about him.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I was at the Liberty Aces game yesterday, so I don't even watch a lot of the men's match. I was watching it. That's not true. I watched it in the Crown.
Speaker 2: Who was the uncle in Napoleon Dynamite who does the nunchucks at the gas station.
Speaker 3: It was giving.
Speaker 1: That and a shout out to everyone that retired. Okay, uncle Rico, I want to give a shout out to everyone who also retired at the US Open Schwartzman, Danielle Collins, Shelby Rodgers, Dominic team. Yeah, Donald Young made the finals and mixers out of the blue, but I'm sorry for him that his last match was also his probably his worst match she did. But frankly, can we shout out so around by far? She's so good, the best player on the court because she knows how to play doubles. You get the ball low well, folly.
Speaker 3: It's just it was so.
Speaker 1: Refreshing to watch. She cannot serve the fucking ship, but she knows how to hit the ball in certain spots on a doubles court. So watch her play doubles because that's how you win doubles matches. People. It was so frustrating, was like, put me back out their coach.
Speaker 3: And she's a fucking competitor. She was yelling at and.
Speaker 1: When he didn't hit the ball to give them two match points. She went ballistic on him, but it wasn't like like throwing her arms up like what. She was just like, get your head out.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, I love that because he had been in two finals this year and couldn't make it, and so he was getting so nervous and she was like, metaphorically speaking, she grabbed him by the shoulders, shook him like somebody by the balls, grabbed him by the shoulders, shook him like somebody should have shook Matthew mcconnicky.
Speaker 3: And then and you pull yourself to go pull yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was, I like, OK. When he literally poached she hit the great return. It was obviously that they were switching at the net, that he was going to go she was going to cover the line. It was perfectly played. He has the easiest volley in the world and he lets it go and at lands on foot inside the baseline. I'm like, bro, I have done that move seven billion times, And even if I thought maybe it was going to go out, I still hit the volley because I'm like, I'm not missing this volley, whereas the chances are it might go in, I'd rather hit the volley. I couldn't believe he didn't hit the watching two women with two guys that were shitting themselves. But I'll give them credit because neither of those two guys had won a slam. Taylor won Wimbledon doubles, and of course the Runnie is one, you know, eleven golden career she does. But but my god, that was hilarious to watch her.
Speaker 3: He can play doubles. He was.
Speaker 1: Had his tits on the net, and people forget that you can lob. You can lob. You know that in doubles you can lob just everyone else.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, you can't. I definitely can't.
Speaker 1: You can hit like the Aussie boys that won the double. The maximum hide that go above the net is an inch.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I don't even I'm not quite sure what an just because I work and can.
Speaker 1: But Vavasory did one thing really well in that match. He made an incredible reflex on match point. That was the best thing. He was over Tailor and he made that reflex and that's what won in the tournaments. So I was kind of like, oh, he made up for not hitting a fu forehand on top of the net. How you finish anyway? All right, guys, finish. We're finishing strong.
Speaker 3: We're going to celebrate your birthday and uh York and everybody who worked. Let's do this.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm so sad it's over, but I'm also in need of a serious medcake. So on that note, thanks for joining me again. Ladies, I love I love you, guys choose back.