Speaker 1: You found Fantasy Football Weekly Micro, a deep dive on one player in just five to ten minutes.
Speaker 2: Now here's your host.
Speaker 3: It's Fantasy Football Weekly Micro. Addition, I am Paul Charchie and my co host as usual, Tyler Canabile. People want to follow you on Twitter, Tyler, I forget what you renamed your Twitter account. It's like at PPR Tyler, at PPR Tyler. That's it PPR Tyler. All right, fantastic. We were still debt debating what PPR stands for. Did the rash clear up?
Speaker 2: Point per reception?
Speaker 3: Point per reception?
Speaker 2: That's it? Yeah, that's it. Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 3: You got all these opportunities to be like so much more interesting than points per reception. Why can't it be uh parts per parts per I mean, well.
Speaker 1: I know there's like a lot of people, Like one of my friends is into photography. His is like his Instagram is like his name dot jpeg, like some people some people will do that, or like she'll be warr into like music dot MP three.
Speaker 2: So I can see that I should have done Tyler dot PPR could have done that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'd still want to want to know if PPR was anything cooler than points perception.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just just just fantacy football related.
Speaker 3: So last last time, yesterday we broke down Garrett Wilson and it was kind of a love fest, almost embarrassing. This time it's Chris Olave taken in the draft right next to Garrett Wilson. They end up in two different spots. They have some similarity in the season that they had last year quarterbacks, a big divergence for these two this year and their ultimate landing spot. There's gonna be, uh, there's gonna be a lot of comparisons here. Olave, like Wilson finished, you know, I want to say that they both finished like the mid twenties at the wide receiver position, both from skyrocketing and ADP.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. So Chris Alave, I mean, he's getting better quarterback play now. He was the wide sever twenty one last season. Average White is sever thirty one in average points per game And oh no, sorry, that's Garret Wilson. My bad, I was on there on sheet. He's why is heaver twenty five last season? Why deceiver twenty seven average points per game? And he's the wide receiver twelve going off the board in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: So he's moving from the mid twenties up to twelve. Everybody's expecting a second year boom for Chris. I like Garret Wilson, Like Garrett Wilson. We talked how about how much we liked Garrett Wilson yesterday. I'm a lot more Luke Rman on Chris Alave for reasons we're going to talk about here. I don't think they automatically move in tandem and make the big jump here. But let's talk about some of the things that we like about Garrett chrysal Lobby.
Speaker 1: Let's be the last comparison I do, but on Chris Lave and Garret Wilson's player profile or like thing, they have the most comparable player in terms of like each other athlete, like height, weights, beat all that.
Speaker 2: It's each other, which is hilarious.
Speaker 1: Same school taken into the draft, same similar twist in this year.
Speaker 2: So sought that was interesting.
Speaker 1: But he was great in some of the stats that like you kind of look at in that matter for fantasy football in my opinion. So he was number ten in yards per rout run, a really good stat Yeah, we like that, number nine in yards per team pass attempt, and he was number two in target rate versus man a really nice stat for him. So he's when we're gonna man coverage.
Speaker 3: They went out of their way to get.
Speaker 1: Him, exactly Yeah, exactly right. And he's also not number twelve in route win rate.
Speaker 3: Six that's very good for a rookie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it, exactly.
Speaker 3: Love to have the high win rate percentage.
Speaker 2: Yep. Sixth in target targeted air yards.
Speaker 3: That's fantastic. And that's and that was with Andy Dalton. We're gonna talk a little bit more about Andy Dalton in a little bit here, but that fact, you know, we think of Andy Dalton as a noodle armed quarterback dumping off short stuff. The fact that Chris Alave was able to be sixth and targeted air yards feels very promising.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then the last two stats here, fourth and cushion at seven point two yards.
Speaker 2: That's pretty takes.
Speaker 3: A lot of respect from defenses right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, he was a Blazer Ohio State. That's kind of like what his role was. Yes, and then seventh and percentage of team targets.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I mean that passing offense largely went through Chrystal Lobby because they just don't have a lot of other talent there and Michael Thomas.
Speaker 1: Jeez, just he's hurt again now. So yeah, unbelievable. I thought was funny like three weeks ago. It's like it's like a video is like Michael Thomas looking healthy. It's just a video of him running.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's go, he can run.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is It's one of the saddest falloffs in fantasy football, is what's happened to Michael Thomas. Michael Thomas was you know, in his heyday with Drew Brees, he was the surest pick in fantasy football. The dude was just he was absolute money. And then he had just the ankle injury which turned into a bigger anchor injury and then not able to come back from that series of injuries. It's just sad fall off for him. But back to chrys O.
Speaker 2: Lobby.
Speaker 3: Love the fact that he had one hundred and nineteen targets that got him a lot of seasoning last year. I love that part. There's really not a lot of anybody, There's not other players who are going to siphon off a lot of work from him.
Speaker 1: He Yeah, Kamara was the next closest person in targets last season with seventy seven, and then Juwan Johnson at sixty five.
Speaker 2: The closest receiver in terms of targets to Chris A.
Speaker 1: Lave was Jarvis Landry with thirty nine targets on the entire season.
Speaker 3: They think about that Chris Alave had one hundred and nineteen targets at wide receiver and the next closest receiver had thirty nine.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's unbelievad that's ubelievable. That's an unbelievable set. It really is thirty nine. I couldn't.
Speaker 1: I feel like I remember Charvis Landry doing like some stuff last year. I couldn't believe it was thirty nine targets. And I think he was hurt a little bit too. But it's still insane.
Speaker 3: So now let's let's try about the other competition that's there for targets, especially at wide receiver. Michael Thomas maybe maybe not. I mean, I don't even know if think I could play anymore? Can he run? I don't know. And then at one of my favorite sleepers, Rashid Shahed, dude came onlast year and he is fast, a lot of got best ball he'd be. He's a great late round dark thrown best ball. Rashid chi Head I think will be the number two wide receiver this year.
Speaker 2: I'm with you.
Speaker 1: If Michael Thomas isn't there, I think Rashichi he is the number two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't count on Michael Thomas. I'd I'd rather have at the same ADP spot I would take for Shiheed.
Speaker 2: Michael Thomas is still going fairly high.
Speaker 1: I don't want to make this about a Michael Thomas show, but he's still going like right after kind of a Sean Babman in that tier, which seems really high. Guy who's done nothing for the better part of three years.
Speaker 3: I couldn't be more out on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: All right, let's talk about the quarterback situation. If you take nothing away, nothing else away from this show, this podcast, listeners, Derek Carr is not the upgrade you think he is. Let's talk about this. Yes, he propelled DeVante Adams to a top five Fantasy finish last year, so we know he can do that, and that's would be your upside for christ Labbe. But is he better than Andy Dalton. Let's dig into the numbers. Tyler completion percentage Dalton seven percent more accurate than Derek Carr. Advantage Dalton yards per attempt. We care about this. How deep are you throwing downfield? Dalton seven point six Car seven point zero advantage Dalton. Theme here PFF passer grade. Andy Dalton was the sixth highest graded PFF passer last year. Derek Carr twenty fifth. Advantage Dalton.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna let you get away with that one.
Speaker 1: That just you're gonna tell me PFF passor we're to say that Andy Dalton's a top six passer in the league.
Speaker 2: Is no loo.
Speaker 3: I don't have to defend PFF. You can decide if yourself whether they're.
Speaker 2: Look what that is.
Speaker 3: In next gen stats, expected completion percentage. Car was sixth worst, and all five of the quarterbacks under him were all starters who got benched at some point during the season. It's like Zach Wilson and Taylor Heinike and you know the bottom five CAR. It was a disaster. Also advantage Dalton. Now on deep passes, they're both bad cars. Adjusted completion percentage on passes of more than twenty yards was just thirty nine percent. Dalton was thirty one percent. I will give the slight nod here to Carr, but they were both bad on deep passes and troublingly, Dalton was better than Carr and all those metrics, and Dalton had the second shortest time to throw in the NFL among all quarterbacks last year, and Dalton was still better than Carr. So I'm here to tell you Derek Carr is no upgrade to Andy Dalton.
Speaker 2: It feels like he is.
Speaker 3: He's paid like he is. The expectations are that he is. The metrics don't prove it out.
Speaker 1: Well, we talked about on this show all the stats, well, because we did a Derek Carr episode, you can go back and listen to that, and we talked about how he was bottom five and all those accuracy stats right around the guys you mentioned, like Zach Wilson, Taylor, heine Key, those kind of guys. He had career high interceptions. But the thing that people are only going to care about despite he was this bad last season. Devanta Adams was wide receiver three last season despite all these numbers. So I think it's just becomes an argument of whether he might be a bad quarterback. Yes, I don't think he's a good quarterback at all. I'm not Derek Carr as like the players in terms of just drafting Derek Carr. But can he be good enough just to get Chris a lave all these these points, these yards, these touchdowns. That's kind of I think the argument is what it is right.
Speaker 3: Now, and I'm not I'm not convinced he can happen. I hope it happens. I have nothing against Chrys o lave. I'm not banking for where Chris a. Lobby is being taken wide receiver twelve, which means he's going to be a third round pick. I don't know that's putting a lot of that's putting a lot on on Derek Carr. Let's talk about some of the players going in the same relative area as Chris o'lave.
Speaker 2: I think note to note all these players too. They all have good quarterbacks.
Speaker 1: I think, like, now that you mention it, Chris Love is the highest guy with like the like a noticeably bad quarterback. I would say, yeah, which is kind of interesting. All the other guys have good quarterbacks. So all right, let's dive into it. Get Jalen Wattle, why deceiver eleven.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll take Waddle and the upside that that. I think that's more well. They both have actually they both have really good upside, and they both have the ability to be explosive with deep plays. Yeah, I'm gonna take Waddle.
Speaker 2: Yeah I'll go Watle too on that feel a little more proven. Davante Smith why deceiver thirteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I'm gonna go Smith. He was shockingly he was shockingly uh consistent last year. Now the fact that he's the clear number two and sometimes number three receiver on his own team depending on you know, you know game plan and whether or not you've got to They've got a healthy tight end to Dallas Goddard. That does worry me a little bit. Yeah, I think I'm gonna go Smith. I want part of the Eagles offense.
Speaker 2: This one's a tough one for This is tough, isn't it.
Speaker 1: I think I go a Lave just because I think a Lave has a higher ceiling, just in terms of a lot of these guys are kind of either wideceiver twos or wideceiver ones with a lot of competition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Chris Lave like as we.
Speaker 1: Mentioned, is the white one zero. Competition's fair even longly you get better this season I think too.
Speaker 3: Well, same things with the next player up, T Higgins.
Speaker 2: Exactly, Higgs.
Speaker 3: Do I want the number two wide receiver we know is really good catch a pass from Joe Burrow? Or do I want the number one from Derek Carr? Oh? I think I'm gonna take I think i'd take Chi t Higgins here, h and I take the consistency.
Speaker 2: I really like T Higgins. I'm gonna go te Higgins. Yeah, I'm with you on that. Who's next? Dk Metcalf? Why is here? Fifteen? Wide deceiver one? Seemingly on his own team? But a lot of competition for targets in that in that offense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and more so now after the draft.
Speaker 2: It's tough. It's it's really tough a lobby. This is why a lob is going twelve.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I might go. I might go Chris A Lave here. Okay, Yeah, I fink I've finally found my breaking point where I'm gonna go Chris Olave.
Speaker 1: All right, I'll go Chris Lave as well. Calvin Ridley wide receiver sixteen.
Speaker 3: I've got Ridley at twenty, so you know, and I like Ridley, but you know, I'm optimistic, but I think sixteen is hyper optimistic. You know, Christian Kirk was like wide receiver twelve last year and maybe even better wide receiver nine, something like that, And everybody assumes Christian Kirk's just gonna like, like, don't drive his car off a cliff and just disappear, and it's suddenly the whole, the whole passing offense is gonna go to Calvin Ridley. Yeah, I don't think that's a fair assumption.
Speaker 2: Who do you think is a higher upside?
Speaker 1: Though, Let's say, let's say let's just play this game, hypothetical game.
Speaker 2: We don't wish injuries upon anyone.
Speaker 1: Let's say Chris Christian Kirk goes down Week three and he's out for the year.
Speaker 3: Well it's Calvin Then I'd probably Calvin Ridley.
Speaker 1: You think Calvin Ridley has a higher upside than Chris A Lave? Who do you think guys are a higher upside? Just overall? Even with Christian Kirk, there.
Speaker 3: A Lave's got freaky upside. If everything breaks just right, Yeah, he's got he could, he could find himself in the top six. He could, Yeah, just because the opportunity sheer talent, Yeah, opportunity, percentage of passes coming his way stuff like that.
Speaker 2: I really really like Calvin Ridley, but I think there's.
Speaker 3: No discount built into an ADP of sixteen.
Speaker 1: He's he's going like a round after a lave too, even though they only like four receivers.
Speaker 2: A part is a big tear drop after, like after a lave and waddle. It kind of feels like.
Speaker 1: A tear drop after like then we got Smith Higgins, I'd say, after Higgins, and then it gets to Metcalfien.
Speaker 2: Really it's like a tear drop kind of thing. But I'll go to Lave over Ridley just because, like you said, the upside.
Speaker 1: And I think I think Derek Carr might be a little better than you think, just because if I mean, yes, he had a bad season last year, but I think he can play better than that.
Speaker 2: We've seen him play better than two.
Speaker 3: So granted he was in a bad spot on a bad offense with very little help a terrible offensive line, but honestly, he had better receiver Derek Carr better receivers last year. I agree, Darren Waller and Hunter renfro and Devonte Adams, and you know there was he had more of a nice right.
Speaker 2: You know that.
Speaker 3: There's no guarantee for me on him whatsoever. Yeah, all right, this has been an overly long Fantasy Football Weekly micro edition. Thank you for getting to the end of it. Encourage you to check out Guillotine leagues dot com for the freshest new way to play fantasy football. You know how Guillotine leagues work already in all probability, but if you don't. Eighteen teams start the season in your league, no head to head matchups. Every week, the bottom scoring team gets cut and all the players go to the waiver wire, where it's pandemonium for the rest of us as we are bidding on an entire roster of great players. Is roster building like you've never seen before. Tons of strategy, total new way of thinking. If you want to try something new, Guillotine leagues dot Com talk to you tomorrow, everybody.
Speaker 2: Bye bye.
Speaker 3: Fantasy Football Weekly is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.