Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Hour two on this Monday, Best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 2: What you saw that you liked? You didn't like? The SEC they can also play basketball. Seven teams in the Sweet sixteen, breaking the tournament record for most teams from one conference in the sweet six team. The ACC had six back in twenty sixteen, and the previous high for the SEC was four. They did that three times. You have the Big Ten, you have the SEC, and you have the rest of the college basketball world. Jay Billis will join us coming up here in a little bit. John Caliperi in an hour from now, the Arkansas head coach, and Bill Simmons with his documentary on the Celtics, Bill of course, with the Ringer.
Speaker 3: Eight seven seven to three.
Speaker 2: DP show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle it DP show poll question from our one Seaton was what and what are we going to go with an hour two?
Speaker 3: We got a couple up there now.
Speaker 4: We also have sort of curating people's suggestions. What word better describes the tournament other than madness? So far, the leader in the clubhouse on that one is march mehness. Okay, that's pretty good. I don't know that we're going to be able to beat that. We also have March Blandness, which is sort of along the Todd line of things, but March mehs okay, it's pretty good, pretty good. We also have up there, Old Please, Old Please.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: By the way, DraftKings has the odds to win the tournament, it's Duke Florida, Houston, Auburn, and then Tennessee is a distant fifth on that list.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: See, NCAA tournament is better with more underdogs or heavyweights. Right now, sixty eight percent of the audience saying underdogs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you like them now, I think you like them in the sweet sixteen and the Elite eight, you like at least one. It's just hard to look at John Calipari Arkansas and go they're the feel good story or the underdog story of this tournament. I'm going to ask John if he feels like an underdog because all those years at Kentucky, that wasn't a feel good story or an underdog story. Eight seven seven to three DP show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show. So all four number one seeds survive reached the sweet sixteen. That's the second consecutive year and as mentioned with the SEC also, we don't have any team that's seed at eleven or lower reaching the sweet sixteen. That's just the fifth time that's happened. Since the tournament expanded to sixty four teams, there's been a lot of talk about a couple of things. You know, there's probably been more talk about the NIL transfer portal and expanding the tournament than maybe the tournament itself. Like we're not really seeing any headlines. Yukon lost, but you know, I think people thought they were going to lose to Florida.
Speaker 3: Saint John's getting bounced.
Speaker 2: That was certainly a big story in the New York area, the East Coast area with Rick Patino. You know, now we're looking at Houston and Auburn, Duke and Florida. But it feels like this expansion like it's kind of lingering. And I was talking to an NCAA source over the weekend and he said, you were on you know what you said on Friday is what's going to happen, and that is the first four is going to be expanded. You'll probably have maybe eight more teams and you'll have, you know, a couple of different first four sites. They're not going to mess with the seeding. He wanted to, you know, make sure that I emphasized that the one through sixteen, keeping those seeds that's really important for the tournament. March Madness, because we got caught up in a sixteen beating a one. Like that always comes up every single year. They like that. The question is how many teams are you going to add and when are you going to add them. It's just like with the playoffs with college football. I knew that once they went from four to twelve, they weren't going to stay at twelve because there's so much money at stake, and now you can get more teams, more bowl games, mean more things, there's more.
Speaker 3: Money for everybody.
Speaker 2: And that's why expansion will happen, maybe not this next year, but the year after that.
Speaker 3: Go from twelve to fourteen.
Speaker 2: But they won't stop there because they look at the March Madness model and you can't have that many teams being in a playoff. But you know, college basketball, everybody is in the playoffs. Everybody can qualify. It's you start eliminating, you know, you get eliminated. In you know, October, November, December, January. It's you get teams that get knocked out along the way. It's just we do it officially with March Madness. But everybody gets a chance. All of these Division I schools, you get an opportunity. You win your conference, you get to go to the tournament, so you have the playoffs going on. It's just not you know, a designated month with March Madness. Stat of the Day has always brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. And everything's on sale at Danpatrick dot com. Great deals there. Everything is under twenty dollars. Make sure you take us up on that offer. While you're there, sign up for the newsletter.
Speaker 3: It was a good.
Speaker 2: Weekend college basketball. I mean, you had some high end basketball. You had the one surprise, you know, with Maryland winning at the buzzer.
Speaker 3: Was it a travel would you have called it a travel?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Een yeah. Just quickly on Kentucky.
Speaker 4: It's kind of interesting, how like somebody just tweeted this at us that maybe Kentucky and coach cal are better without each other.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes they are. That's that's so interesting. They are.
Speaker 2: I'm looking at the Kentucky roster twenty two years of age, twenty two years of age, twenty two, twenty two, twenty three, twenty three. That's not a John Caliperry roster. But I think coach call had taken them as far as he was going to take them. Mark Pope played at Kentucky. They brought him in. Really good coach, and it's just a different philosophy.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: See that roster is also called the good Luck next year.
Speaker 4: I think they'll better enjoy this one because next year is gonna be a whole new team.
Speaker 3: Let's see how that goes. They'll be okay, They're gonna be okay. Pie to the face, Yeah, Luke and Kentucky. Oh, does Kentucky make the tournament next year? Is that what you're saying? Let's go pie to the face all right?
Speaker 4: Apparently everybody from there makes the tournament, So we're gonna have to see do they get out of the first round?
Speaker 2: Maybe Luke and Kentucky. Hi, Luke, what's on your mind?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 7: Good morning, first time long time one sixty five seven but hardening still hard. So my best of the weekend and worst of the weekend, Best of the Arkansas win over Saint John's showcasing resilience and just refuse.
Speaker 3: It to quit.
Speaker 7: The worst was really the vitriolic reactions from Kentucky fans who are die hard and really being upset with John Teller Perry's early tournament's success in Cleveland, UK.
Speaker 5: It was disappointing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Kentucky fan, No, I can't speak for everybody, but certainly felt like Kentucky was ready to move on from John. John realized this. He had a good friend, big booster at Arkansas, and it was you know what I have to win every single years. That's Kentucky basketball. And now not that Arkansas doesn't expect greatness, because they've had some great coaches, you know, when you go down through history and some great ones. Musselman was really good, you know, forty minutes a hell. I mean, they've had Nolan Richardson. I mean, they've had and had really good players there. It's just weird that Kentucky's in the tournament. Kentucky's in the sweet sixteen, but you're still living vicariously through John Kelipering. It's best for both. You needed a separation here and both benefited. You know, keep in mind when Arkansas went zero to five. I'm sure Kentucky fans were like, eh, okay, let's see how good a coach you are. And maybe John has to you know, he's reinventing himself as a better coach. He was a great recruiter, great, but when you get to the tournament, you got a coach, and I don't think he did great jobs there. When you're bowing out early, now that's on the coach too.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Pauline, we always joke on this show that whenever some of the someone says they've parted ways, well that's never true. If someone fires someone or someone quits.
Speaker 6: The Colin party.
Speaker 3: Situation was perfect.
Speaker 8: He saw the writing on the wall his last two years a Kentucky twenty two and twelve, twenty three and ten didn't advance deep, and he said, okay, let's save everyone awkward situation.
Speaker 3: Let's move on, take a new job. And it worked out great for everybody.
Speaker 2: Auburn, Houston, Florida Duke all advance, Connecticut gets dropped, Saint John's Wisconsin also out, and Xavier's coach is no longer. Xavier's coach, Sean Miller is bolting for Texas Lucas in Texas. Hi, Luke, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: Hey day, good morning? Best and worst of the weekend. I have to say my worst would be, you know, my one of my final four picks going a little pops to premature out of there, So thank you Saint John's and yep, never good. But I will say my best, although this might also be the worst. It makes me a terrible dad.
Speaker 10: I'm not sure.
Speaker 9: My kids, they're young, they're just kind of getting to you know, watch games and whatnot, and they have the habit of always picking the team when the game would come on. They were rooting for the team that was winning, and so I was trying to say, well, you need to stick with the team, root for the whole game. So we started one game fresh. He said, there's no we don't know the score, we're gonna pick, and our whole family picked uh And I was the only one that picked against them. That game happened to be My entire family picked Colorado State and I picked Maryland. So am I a good dad or bad dad for celebrating being the only one to win that game.
Speaker 2: It's a teaching moment there, Lucas. I mean, these kids got to learn you got to learn heartbreak, heartache. I always wonder, you know, I joke about it, but when you're a parent and somebody has probably passed down maybe from your father, this is the team you root for, like not a you know, it's not a question, it's that that's who you root for. I mean, imagine being a parent and they hand it down to you that you're a Jets fan, and then you're going to do that to your child. And I always joke about maybe the authorities need to come in, like you need to have sports authorities that come in and say, hey, hey, Mike, don't do that to a little Tommy here, don't make him a Jets fan.
Speaker 3: Let him pick his own team. But I was never handed a team. I think.
Speaker 2: I remember watching the Cleveland Browns where I grew up in Ohio. They were on every Sunday, so that was my team. And then I moved to Cincinnati, and then the Bengals were there, and then I was a Bengals fan. Like I didn't I didn't care, but I was there in Cincinnati. But it's not like I didn't go, Golly, you gave me the Bengals, and the Bengals were really bad for a long time.
Speaker 3: But it's not like I was. I don't know.
Speaker 2: It felt like my dad said, you're no, You're gonna be a I went from a Browns fan they won a lot, and then I'm a Bengals fan.
Speaker 3: You know. He was like, he can root for whoever you want.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Pauland there must be such a natural pressure on children to root for their dad's team, to hang out with them and spend time with them. And you just want to hang out, you don't really care about the wins or losses, and then you develop into a real sports fan who who cried and gets upset.
Speaker 2: I got this tweet from Bill Dozer. Hey, it was my birthday yesterday. Had a very difficult time the last couple of decades I've suffered. I'm only thirty seven. My only wish would be everyone saying, suck it, Sarb. He's a good friend of mine. You guys make my morning's worth it. So all together, there you go, we make dreams come true. All right, Well take a break, Jay Billis will join us coming up next year, Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports radio dot com. And within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 11: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 3: You could catch us.
Speaker 11: Weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's.
Speaker 3: Going on in the world.
Speaker 11: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 3: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 11: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: More phone calls coming up eight seven to seven, three dps shown, John Caliperi top the Next hour, Bill Simmons his documentary on the Celtics. Jay millis of the mother Ship. He played under coach k and he also coached with him and won a couple of titles as an assistant coach with Duke, and of course motherships lead college basketball analysts. There hasn't been much madness here. Jay, We need another word, March? What for you so far with this tournament?
Speaker 5: It's March.
Speaker 12: It's happened before, but people don't seem to remember it like this is not the first time we've had a tournament quite like this. It's happened many times before. But you know, in this age of facile interpretation, we're going to immediately blame anil in the transfer portal because we didn't have a mid major breakthrough. We didn't have as many buzzer beaters as one can remember in another year. But you know, you go back to two thousand and eight, all four number one seeds made it to the final four in San Antonio, and so what are we to take from that, or seven years ago we had the same number of major conference teams breakthrough versus mid majors. What are we to take from that? You know, one one data point does not make a trend. And if we have this five years in a row or five out of CI then I think we can talk about it. But right now it's just it's just another year.
Speaker 3: Was that traveling at the end of the Maryland game?
Speaker 5: I didn't think so. When I looked at it live.
Speaker 12: As you know, you know, the the you get two steps after you complete the gather and uh, and it looked fine to me. But if we're going to look at it like the Zapruder film, like what what I always look at when I hear officials or supervisors talk about a call afterwards and basically justify it and say, Okay, this was the right call given the circumstance. What I always ask him is all right, if it had been called the other way, would you say that was a bad call? And I think if it were a call to travel, all of the all of the supervisors and people who are on television critiquing the officials former officials, they would they would have justified the call as a travel to It's one of those It's one of those calls.
Speaker 2: But then we would have had an underdog with Colorado State making the Sweet sixteen, Which leads me to is Arkansas a feel good story? Are they an underdog?
Speaker 5: Not really?
Speaker 12: I mean, and that's sort of the thing when you talk about double digit seeds, like last year we had a double digit seed make the final four in NC State. You really think an ACC teams an underdog or a Cinderella. It depends on your definition of it. Arkansas, if they were healthy all year long, they would not have been a tense They weren't healthy. So I think what cal Perry has done is frankly amazing. They've been absent their leading scorer at dow theo who transferred in with Cal from Kentucky, Boogie Flann, their hot shot freshman who was their leading scorer until about two months ago when he injured his hand just came back. He's only played like one or two games. It's remarking, and they've played better over the last ten or eleven games just to make the tournament, and for them to have to give up twenty eight offensive rebounds and only make two threes against Saint John's and win. I'm still stunned by that. It's kind of a refuse to lose back to UMass Caliperi that we're seeing.
Speaker 2: I was curious about Rick Pattino got a little sharp with a reporter saying why it was R. J. Lewis on the bench the last five minutes? And Rick was saying, you're, you know, basically baiting me here. But why was the biggiest player of the year, even though he was struggling shooting, he's still your best player. Why was he on the bench, you know, for those final five minutes.
Speaker 12: I mean, he was clearly enough funk and he couldn't make a shot and was not playing well. So I don't know exactly what Rick's reasoning was. My issue watching the game was I was like, why are you not throwing the ball inside to Zubi Edgia for him? Like he's killing these guys and you can't make a perimeter shot. They really haven't done that all year, and it was pretty clear it wasn't going to matter magically appear in the last five minutes. But you know, Arkansas had some significant foul trouble. Zavanimir visits fouled out with I don't know six seven minutes to go and uh jonas Adu had four fouls like go into the go into him and uh and let him pull his way to the basket at twenty three points and he was so hard to stop. But you know, my my coaching place in the Hall of Fame has not been secured.
Speaker 3: A Rick says, can should Danny Hurley change?
Speaker 5: Well, he should change some things. Yeah.
Speaker 12: I think the way he uh comports himself on the sideline should change. And I think some of the things that he says after a game, you know, like what we saw in the hallway. Was that a huge deal?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 5: But is it? Is it what you should do? I think the answer is no too.
Speaker 12: And look, I get it that the response is, well, that's just who he is. I tend to think that's an excuse for bad behavior. It's not a crime, it's not a big deal. So on one hand, you go, well, we don't have any characters in the game anymore, and he is clearly a character. But would it be so bad if he was just kind of superstitious and this crazy competitor and whears like superhero socks and all that stuff.
Speaker 5: And we cut out the other stuff. I mean, yeah, I think that would be okay.
Speaker 12: I don't know that the way he talks to officials actually benefits him. I know the officials don't care for it, because when I was critical of Danny earlier in the year, that was probably the first time in my lifetime officials were like, hey, keep going.
Speaker 5: Usually they don't like what I said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Bob Knight couldn't change. Coach k probably didn't change. I mean, these guys are who they are at some point, that's who they're going to be. Doesn't mean I mean it was the end of the detriment of Bob Knight. You know, Coach k was a fiery guy. I don't know if Danny Hurley can change. I just I don't. He's been this way since he was at Wagner in Rhode Island, and it's not like, Hey, we're the bullies on the block. I'm going to dictate what college basketball is all about. It feels like he was this way a long time ago.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 12: I'm not arguing that, and I'm not saying that maybe he can't change. If he can't, then you then don't worry about it. But I would think maturity would be helpful in these situations, like I just don't believe. And I used to talk tonight about this, like when he would when he would embarrass a reporter because I saw him at clinics when an unprepared, lazy coach would ask him a stupid question, and he would educate that coach and be very somewhat what I would call empathetic. I guess then a reporter asked him a question that he thought was a stupid question, and he would embarrass the reporter. And I said, I was with him one time at Texas Tech, and I said.
Speaker 5: Why why do you do that?
Speaker 12: Like why don't you just like this guy was probably covering a state fair and then a high school football game and then he's got to come cover you, Like, why don't you help him out and educate him? He goes, I've gone to I'm too deep into my I can't.
Speaker 5: I just can't.
Speaker 12: And I was like, yeah, you can, and he just he didn't want to, and uh, And you know, with the one thing that I think is interesting about coaches is they love to talk about accountability, and rightfully so accountability is important, but but they make excuses with regard to themselves at times and kind of what you hear from Danny, some of it is reasons and then other parts are excuses. And my thing would be just get rid of the excuses and make the make the If you're saying I shouldn't have done this, then stop doing it. You know that that's okay, Like we can we can do that. He can still be fiery and a competitor. Like one of the things about coach k And look, every coach, every player, You're going to cross the line at some point. It's competitive.
Speaker 5: I get it.
Speaker 12: But man, after games, it was pretty rare where he he wasn't a good loser. It's pretty damn rare. Like he he comported himself pretty darn well. And uh and I always admired that about him, win or lose.
Speaker 5: After the game, he had he had empathy.
Speaker 2: I asked Danny Hurley about not taking the Laker job, and I'm paraphrase, and he said, I'm not mature enough. I got to I got to mature. So like he's aware, I just think he gets in. And I always find it ironic when coaches like, you know, you gotta comport yourself, you gotta you gotta stay in the moment, you know, don't go crazy, you know, you know all the and then coaches go crazy. I never understood that Knight wanted discipline out of you, but he couldn't get discipline out of himself exactly.
Speaker 12: And that's sort of what I was talking about on the accountability point. You know, sometimes you think about you know, Will Ferrell and old school and not what was it old school? When he's uh, when he's saying we got to keep our composure, kind of losing his mind. But look, coaches do that. But but I think I think they can do better, and and they should strive to do better and quit making excuses when they don't.
Speaker 2: Good to talk to you. We didn't even get to transfer portal month. We didn't get to n I l Maybe next week we'll hold off and talk about that and I transfer portal starts today, Jay Crazy.
Speaker 12: The coaches portal has been opened, I know, and nobody's calling for guardrails under contractor getting poked. They have no loyalty. But nobody says that it's only for the players. We have to worry about that. Thank you, Jay, Thank you.
Speaker 2: Jay billis of the mother Ship at college basketball analyst there for a long long time. All Right, some phone calls coming up, Uh Tom in New York, Hi Tom, Best and worst of the weekend?
Speaker 10: Hey Dan? Thanks?
Speaker 12: Uh I.
Speaker 10: My best for the weekend is my new Mexico Lobos Marchette on Friday night. That was pretty exciting when we haven't won for the first round in the tournament for twelve years. And then my worst of the weekend was a Michigan State game. And I'm an official, I kind of.
Speaker 6: I like to be.
Speaker 10: Just open minded, but it just felt like there were a lot of tiki chack called that really put us in a bad position and kind of took the game out of our hands last night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it happens.
Speaker 2: You know, this is where officials need to get together and regroup during games just to kind of, do, you know, take inventory of how we're calling this game, what are we seeing in this game? How do we need to call it differently? Because sometimes you'll go into a game and go that team they are a physical team, or this team's a finesse team. Then it changes. But I do think you have to the office and maybe they do, but I think officials need to talk about this of what they're seeing because if you just let all three officials just be individuals, I think that's where it can be dangerous, from the standpoint of what are we calling and not calling? When are we calling it, how are we calling it? Because all you want is as a coach and a player, tell me how you're going to call this and stay with that, and I'll be fine with that. It's when all of a sudden you go, wait a minute, you let them do that, you know in the first half, Now we can't do that. That's what I think. That's when coaches go apoplectic. How about we go around the room, best and worst to the weekend, Todd, I'll start with you.
Speaker 3: Best of the weekend.
Speaker 13: In women's college hoops, out of the Oklahoma Sooners had an NCAA Tournament single game record seventy two rebounds in defitting Florida Gulf Coast University eighty one to fifty eight in the first round.
Speaker 14: Love it.
Speaker 13: Worst of the weekend my brackets. Saint John's losing to Arkansas stally tournament bracket totally destroyed, had the Red Storm going all the way to the title game and beating Duke, So I am.
Speaker 3: Very done you're done.
Speaker 2: So you know, to have seventy two rebounds, you have to have seventy two misses. So you can say, well, that is incredible, add seventy two rebounds, but that is horrible that there were seventy two rebounds to be had. Seaton O'Connor best and worst.
Speaker 4: My best of the weekend or a team called the Oakland Roots their soccer team. They play USL Championship. They play in the Coliseum now there, which is a gigantic venue. They had over twenty six thousand people show up to their home opener, which is a massive crowd for a.
Speaker 3: Team like that.
Speaker 4: Best part is at the twenty fourth minute, they gave a standing ovation for the full minute for the number twenty four for.
Speaker 3: Ricky Henderson, which is great.
Speaker 4: Everybody stood up all twenty six thousand game of standing ovation, which I'm sure.
Speaker 3: Ricky would appreciate. Ricky b Ricky, pretty great gesture.
Speaker 4: Worst of the weekend is everything related to the US men's national team.
Speaker 3: Marvin Best and worst. Best of the weekend.
Speaker 15: Caleb Love from Arizona twenty nine points, nine rebounds. He's in North Carolina transfer in his next game, and the Sweet sixteen is against Duke, so hopefully he get pulled something off. Worst of the Weekend Man Saint John's the shooting twenty one for seventy five and for you math majors out there, that's twenty eight percent from the field.
Speaker 3: Paul Best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 8: Best of the weekend, the job Mark Pope is doing down at Kentucky. First time really watching them this year. They look really good. The worst I am going to give it to Sean Miller of Xavier. It was his first coaching job. O four to nine did very well. He took the Arizona job, you know, a dream job, as he called it. He was there for quite a while and then it went bad and they let him go, and there's some baggage around it. Xavier in twenty twenty two takes him back. The program is good. It's a quality basketball prom you know that program. Dan, They've always been good and he can make them even better. And now he's bolting to Texas. What's wrong with having a career like Mark Few of Gonzaga. Mark Few stayed at Gonzaga for decades. He always wins twenty five games. He's almost a household name and he's gonna go to the Basketball Hall of Fame if he's not already in it, and he gets to the tournament all the time, why not stay?
Speaker 3: Be novel?
Speaker 2: Well, I think he lives up to his last name. He's one of the few who stays. And you know these guys are they bounce around, bounce around, bounce around, bounce around to get to a head coaching job, and then it doesn't stop there. It's very rare when somebody goes, you know what, I'm happy here. I like what I'm doing here. It's coaches cannot complain about the transfer portal. They cannot. And that's what Jay was saying. Coaches can do it. Yeah, it's crazy too.
Speaker 4: Like a lot of times a jump like that comes with a gigantic raise or something. You're like, man, for that kind of money, you got to do that. I don't think this was the case. I don't think it about the same money.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, unless I'm reading it wrong, I could. It's very possible I'm reading this wrong. But to me, it looks like he got a bump of about five hundred thousand dollars, which for the normal person is a fortune. Right, But when you're talking about four point five versus five. Okay, there's probably a lot.
Speaker 3: Of incentives in there.
Speaker 2: You get to the tournament, you get to sweet sixteen, probably stuff like that. Has anyone had a worse year perception wise than Danny Hurley? Now, no crimes or anything, it's just him as a basketball coach, him on the floor. But perception wise, it feels like everybody's you know, kind of piling on here, a lot of columns on this, and you need to change?
Speaker 3: Can you change?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: See, I get it.
Speaker 4: I get that because I know I'm definitely somebody over the last several years who've been like, man, this dude needs to chill out, what are you doing? Like we all do impressions of them, we make its spaces and stuff like that. But at least he owns it to some degree. I get the sense that he's very well aware of how crazy he is.
Speaker 2: Well, his wife has to say hun like bright, I would think that she would be the sounding board that you have. I just don't know if he can now you have to want to. I don't know does he want to change? Has he bought into this is who I am? He saying, I'm the coach on the face of college basketball. Sometimes you buy into what people portray you as. Yeah, point you said last hour. He's been doing this back at Bryant and Rhode Island.
Speaker 3: Wagner. Wagner.
Speaker 8: Yeah. Once he starts winning and getting national attention, it's almost a green light to be himself more so and yell and scream and be on sixty minutes like all his behavior for the past twenty years as a coach. You win two titles, it's open season to do what you want.
Speaker 2: But I would say, perception wise, without doing anything illegal, getting arrested for anything.
Speaker 3: Who had a worse year perception wise.
Speaker 2: Lebron everything that happened with his son, bringing his son in, you know, a NEPO baby. A lot of criticism there with Lebron that had to do with his son, the run in with Steven A. Smith, And he didn't do anything other than he wanted his son to play on the team. And now you get yeah, I mean Stephen A was backtracking. Now he says that he knew that Bronnie could play. Like there are a lot of analysts who are all of a sudden saying Bronnie can play. I knew he could play. I don't remember hearing anybody saying, I just said you got to stay one more year or stay in the G League. But just because he got toasted by Tyrese MAXI didn't mean he couldn't play. It was he shouldn't have been out there. But you know, JJ Reddick had to put him out there because they needed a guard to go out there and play early in the game. So he gets roasted. So what I mean, tyres Maxie is a great player. Now all of a sudden he can't play. He just needs to play, that's all. Let him play. Let the kid be a kid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, seton.
Speaker 4: It's a good comparison to because Dan Hurley, a guy who made it by himself.
Speaker 2: That do do do do do? Yeah, It's like everybody now I knew BRONI could play.
Speaker 4: I just think I think the one example of like focusing in on Lebron James and his son while ignoring the thousands of other cases of kids who are in semi similar situations.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think what Lebron James and his wife have done has been remarkable. Absolutely Lebron growing up in a single parent household and he has made made himself a billionaire and raising good kids, at least from the outside looking in. And you got your son on the team. Okay, Like there's worse things that dad do. What did your dad do? Oh? You put a cigarette out on my hand? What's your dad do? Now, he got me a job with the Lakers. Man, you had to you suffered. What are we doing?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 12: Call?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they wanted to call the authorities.
Speaker 5: Well, this is.
Speaker 2: Child abuse what you're doing. Don't have him out there with Tyres MAXI yes, Marvin.
Speaker 15: And now I'm thinking to myself when people say, oh, he took a job away from somebody. If you're fighting with Bronnie James for a spot, you're exactly where you need to be in the G league, because if you're that good, you're not fighting with Bronnie James for a spot on the Lakers.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if he's still going to be in the NBA when Lebron retires. I hope he is. I hope he shows that he can play. He was the fifty fifth player taken for a reason and he's playing like he's the fifty fifth player in the draft.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Paul, if Lebron put his son on the Wizards, then I'd have ten.
Speaker 2: That is when I have said I'm giving you a time out. You're going to the Wizard.
Speaker 3: Anything but hand no, please the mom. He's gonna send me the Wizards. Just stay in college. And if you continue to act up, I'm sending you to Charlotte.
Speaker 2: No, all right, they take a break, got more phone calls.
Speaker 15: You gonna be like Jordan Pohle oh man, he got punched, he got treated. Yeah, yeah, all right, let me take a break. We'll get some more phone calls coming up.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 2: Kind Of fell in love with Walter Clayton Junior the Third He had thirteen points in the final eight minutes to lead Florida over Yukon. He's the third player all time to make fifteen or more three pointers and twenty five or more free throws in his first four NCAA Tournament games.
Speaker 6: Of it.
Speaker 2: Not done yet, Marvin. The other two players who have done this Steph Curry and Glenn Robinson Big Dog. They both did it twice seven eight for Steph Curry ninety three ninety four for Glenn Robinson.
Speaker 3: Chat of the day of the day, but best stad of the day stat of the.
Speaker 5: Day here comes that?
Speaker 3: What stat of the day?
Speaker 2: Also Ole miss beat Iowa State to reach the Sweet sixteen for the first time since two thousand and one. So that's twenty four year gap between appearances. The only one to have only school to have a larger gap was Providence. Providence went twenty five years between Sweet sixteen appearances ninety seven to twenty twenty two. I saw where Tiger Woods has a new girlfriend and he posted on social media, and then he posted and then I think he said, you know, please respect our privacy. Well, don't put it on social media if he wanted to respect your privacy.
Speaker 8: Yes, Tiger posted it fifteen hours ago. Quote love is in the air. He should have stopped right there.
Speaker 3: What is going on?
Speaker 8: Love is in the air, and life is better with you by my side. We look forward to our journey through life together. At this time, we would appreciate privacy for all those close to our hearts. He tweeted it out to seven million people, asking for privacy.
Speaker 3: And this is Donald Donald Trump Junior's ex wife.
Speaker 8: I didn't know when I looked at it who she was, but I assumed it was an engagement post because life is better with you by my side. That sounds like an engagement announcement, and I don't think it is.
Speaker 5: Lt.
Speaker 7: Gray.
Speaker 2: Let me put this on social media, but please respect my price. It's had nineteen million views. Yeah, yeah, please respect their pressure.
Speaker 3: Give for the last time. I don't want to talk about this not actual sound, dude, What is that your Tiger impersonation? I need to hit the ball better. That is not bad, He's He always gives.
Speaker 4: A a long, like breath pause in his sentences. He'll say, well, first of all, I.
Speaker 3: Need to hit the ball better. That's my ball striking today is not great.
Speaker 13: Uh, that is very solid, Tiger.
Speaker 3: My glutes didn't fire today.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Paul Tiger did two pictures with his new girlfriend, one standing against a watch, a casual photo, and the other one is laying in a hammock with his glasses and Tiger Woods hat on. In case you didn't know who he was. Who's the person who gets to sign this photography project?
Speaker 4: Maybe Tiger's daughter Comarre take a picture of us laying down here acting like we're sleeping.
Speaker 2: Thanks, like we're in love. Well, he's got sunglasses on. Hey, Marvin saw the picture. Marvin goes, Tiger, come join us. Shave your shave your head, what's what's left? Shave it off?
Speaker 11: Man.
Speaker 15: Whenever he finishes around and he takes his hat off, Oh my gosh, Tiger, come home join us.
Speaker 3: Please, it's clean over here.
Speaker 15: Come on, man.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was watching some of the golf this weekend and guys would take off their hats, so from their eyes down they're really tan, and then they have this four inch gap their forehead and it looks like a five head.
Speaker 3: It's just white. Yes, Seaton, dude. Golf reporters also get that probably.
Speaker 4: I mean I would imagine if you're out, you know, you're walking the course, you're doing whatever you're doing, all the same stuff that they do.
Speaker 3: Do you also get that scene tan.
Speaker 2: A lot of golf reporters don't go out on the course. They stay inside, they watch on TV. All they're there is really to watch, uh, you know, the press conferences to get you know, their interviews there. You don't normally go out walking around because it's hard to follow every unless you're following just one player or one you know group, you're not walking, you know, around the golf course.
Speaker 3: Yeah, PAULI we call.
Speaker 8: That two tone. Look the Stuart sinks that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Stuart sink The.
Speaker 8: Top half of your head looks like you've been vacationing in Antarctica in the bottom half of the opposite.
Speaker 3: Uh Newton in Virginia. Hi Newton, what's on your mind? Hey?
Speaker 6: Dan, Really appreciate you taking a call. So a couple of quick ones. One is these things are kind of connected the way that I see it. I met Jay Billis and I sell commercial in residential real estate here in Richmond, and Jay was nice enough to be one of the speakers at an event for commercial real estate that Virginia Commonwealth University put on. And the thing that was really impressive about Jay is that he is genuine and the exact guy that you talked to is the same guy that I talked to, is the same guy that's on TV every time we see him. And I think that one of the reasons that he is as popular as he is is because he is genuine, and people love it when you're genuine. They don't they don't like seeing through your BS.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you for the story there.
Speaker 2: I've known Jay long long time, right after he graduated from Duke. I think I remember I wasn't around him then, but then certainly with the Mothership and very very knowledgeable. I always enjoyed talking and he has strong opinions too, which I love. Let's see, how about Kurt Kurt in Washington.
Speaker 14: Hi, Kurt, Hey, I was going Thanks for taking my call. Yeah, Dan Patrick above average show six two but below average one eight. I have two best from the weekend. One my Wisconsin Badgers women's hockey team winning their national championship and Mark Johnson actually raising actually asking the team who wanted to take the penalty shot at the end of regulation and then the same woman actually winning in overtime. And my second best is a shout out to some real good dudes and coaching staff up in Alaska, my Colony Knights girls basketball team winning the championship. It's a group of guys that have been dedicated, working hard, spending a lot of time coaching.
Speaker 9: And actually the coaching staff helped coach both the boys and girls.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, Kurt john cali Peri will join us coming up. Bill Simmons will stop by as well. Final hour in this Monday, right after this