Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. We're going to talk to someone who I think touches upon, whatever your politics, the state of our diplomacy. Christopher Smart is founder and managing partner at Arberth. But, as Bill Burns writes in Foreign Affairs this Week, or I've seen Nicholas Burns, our former ambassador to China, out in the zeitgeist as well, Christopher smartest part of that team, founder, managing partner at Arbeth, with his public service to the nation in our diplomacy. So, Christopher, what's so concerning to me is we all, at gunpoint read a thousand pages of Henry Kissinger Diplomacy. Some of us read it cover to cover, full disclosure. I did, and then the chosen few got Pickering or Wrangel fellowships, including my first intern here at Bloomberg, and they could join the magic that was your State Department. Is that process still in place or have we broken our diplomacy?
Speaker 2: Well, Tom, that's a big question this morning, Good morning to you, and I think the the.
Speaker 3: Sad answer is we've broken a lot of it.
Speaker 2: I think there's still some extraordinary career foreign service officers at their posts this morning, but a great many of them have left, and a great many who have left had that both experience and institutional memory that is so important in negotiations, you know, just as an aside as you know, negotiations are not just about going into a room for twenty one hours and hoping to strike a deal. It's about building trust between the two sides. It's about following up on the very difficult details of any negotiation. And I think that's what we're seeing unravel in front of us right now, and what makes these next few weeks and months between the US and Iran so unpredictable Away from.
Speaker 1: The weeks or months. Alexis went to address that, but Christopher Smart critically here, what do you perceive is our healing diplomacy after the time of President Trump.
Speaker 2: I think people want America to succeed around the world, and I think they will look at this period as a difficult one. We've had a lot of difficult periods in our history before, and I think they will hope that we can re engage with the world, not necessarily the way we've done it before under previous presidents, but in a way that is more predictable, more easily for them. To engage with, and a sense that we in the United States are looking to build a set of rules and behaviors with other countries, rather than you so intensely focusing on just the next particular edge for our own advantage.
Speaker 4: I just want to talk for a moment about what's happening over in Hungary. We saw that election this week in a crushing defeat for PM victor Orbon. He had such an outsized global influence, and of course we know he repeatedly blocked aid for Ukraine to fend off Russia's invasion. What does it mean now, the fact that he is no longer in that position, What does it mean for I think Ukraine especially.
Speaker 3: Well, I think you know, for I'll say this for Tom.
Speaker 2: You know, you never like to see a team like the Red Sox digging themselves out of a hole. Hungary is kind of a country that has dug a deep hole for itself for the last sixteen years and is in the process we see now digging itself out.
Speaker 3: And so that's the good news. It's also good news, as.
Speaker 2: You point out, for Ukraine, because the Urban government has been blocking Europe's efforts to assist Ukraine and Europe's efforts to increase pressure on Russia. So that's good news as well, But it does have a lot of internal repair to undertake right now, and Prime Minister madjar Or, who is coming into office, will have to do a whole lot of addressing the institutional damage that Prime Minister Orbon has done to impose to politicize the courts, the central Bank, other institutions across the country.
Speaker 3: So that's the Hungarian's main challenge right now.
Speaker 4: What about I just want to stick with Hungary because there's so much to unpack. Orbon was Russia's closest ally in the EU and courted China. What are those countries are they distancing themselves already from the new government? I mean, I know it hasn't really been put in place yet, has it.
Speaker 3: I don't think it happens well, it will come, it will enter office very quickly.
Speaker 2: I think the other countries are trying to understand what's going on. In some sense, this isn't a big surprise for anybody, because the polls had shown that he would win, although there was very there was a lot of concern that it would be a close election and therefore a disputed election. I think the Chinese are very pragmatic. They will deal with whomever is the prime minister right now. I think Russia will do the same, although they will continue to work with Orbon who's now moving into opposition with his fetish party. But right now the momentum is on the side of the new prime minister rebuilding its ties with the European Union. They you know, the leadership across Europe has embraced him. And I think the other interesting piece subtext to all this is the populist parties in France, in Germany and elsewhere around Europe, who may be feeling like they have to modulate their message a little bit to be you know, to understand that europe is still a very popular message with a great many voters across the continent, and that turning too much against Brussels, against further integration is not necessarily a winning path for them.
Speaker 1: Christopher Smart, thank you so much. Haven't a head on it. They just we need to get you on much much more. We were Smart with our birth group and his public service to the nation at the State Department and the White House as well.