Speaker 1: Welcome back to another edition of the Frida Egg Podcast. Today, I am excited to welcome on LPGA Commissioner Mike wand Mike and I discuss a bevy of topics, including the growth of the LPGA tour, of what's ahead in twenty nineteen and further into the future, ratings and how big of a deal the Olympics was for the LPGA, and much more. If you guys enjoy the podcast, best way to show your support is by rating and reviewing our podcast in the app Store. It helps out a bunch, attracts new listeners, and it's much appreciative. So if you haven't yet, please rate and review our podcast in the app Store. Thanks, and without further ado, here is Mike wand I miss a Green. For example, I'm already upset when I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset.
Speaker 2: And when I find my ball in a Frida egg, Frida Egg, codrided, Frida Egg, Friday, Frida Egg Egg, bride Egg Lie, I'm about ready to run off the dump.
Speaker 1: H If you had only eat one fruit the rest of your life.
Speaker 2: What would be wouldn't be fruit?
Speaker 1: It's a good question that Pelty a lot about somebody.
Speaker 2: Orange because it would because I have a patience problem, and just the peeling would be slowed me down. So I need I need any kind of food that requires some sort of prep effort. It just slows me down from just eating fast.
Speaker 1: That's fascinating. I I it's like the biggest deterren I love oranges, but I just can't stand.
Speaker 2: I have to have it. It's just a I have a thing I'm hanging on my computer right now that just patients and just before you stop typing reply, just you know, digest for a minute. So I'm gonna have to build in my own defense mechanisms.
Speaker 1: It's amazing, Like if you wait four it's.
Speaker 2: Like you're a different person, right And I could have the reply all turned off on my computer. I would, but I don't know how to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my prom I then start forgetting about it, and then you know, if it's not top of mine.
Speaker 2: Right tomorrow, it's like the fifth highest priority.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So you got in golf. You were caddying at Cress Creek and then turned into a ground screw member, so fascinating. After college, jobs outside of golf and then you had you know, you you were at Procter and Gamble, Bright Smile, Mission Hockey, but also intertwined you had Wilson and Taylor made. So now you take you take the job as commissioner of LPGA. What do you think. How do you feel like your work outside of golf helped helps you in golf?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think you can be great in golf if all you've ever experienced in golf. I mean, it's just like anything else you're gonna apply. As a father, you apply lessons you remembered as a kid. You know the things that worked and the things that doesn't. It didn't, and the same is true in the commissioner role. I mean, you know, at the end of the day, I'm still positioning a brand like I figured out it product and Gamble. You are still managing a budget where you know, I learned other places and all the other companies I've been a part of, we've taken brands global, So you know, going global was something the LPGA was right in the middle of when I got here. So having I was talking about global is like going through a tunnel. Having been through the tunnel before made it a little bit easier to navigat in the dark. Usually when you when you're going through a tunnel, the first you know one hundred yards is dark, and everything in your body says, turned back, go back to what you know. The same is true when you're taking a brand global, it gets dark for a while. When I joined the LPGA in twenty ten, it was pretty dark in terms of the global transition, but I'd seen the other side of the of the tunnel. I knew it was okay, and it was It was a comfortable place for me to say, trust us, we know where this is heading. It doesn't mean it's going to be easy for the next couple of years, but it was I had less of an urge to turn back, I think than the rest.
Speaker 1: What's the toughest thing about being a global worldwide tour?
Speaker 2: Uh, you know, beyond the physical challenge. I mean, because it's it's just tough on your Body's tough on the tour players, caddies and the commissioner's body. I mean, we're literally traveling all over the world and a bunch of different time zones. And that may look glamorous to the outside, but trust me when I tell you there's nothing glamorous about that on the inside. The toughest thing is you you can't get comfortable in how you do business because how you do business in Boston is not the same and how you do business in Thailand, and how you do business in Thailand has nothing to do with how you do business in Korea. And just because you figured out CREA doesn't mean you figured out Australia. So you you have to remain you have to be in a learning curve all the time, and you have to understand that the check writer is the is the leader of the business, not the commissioner. And so you know that that took me a little bit a while to figure out too, But it's I think the hardest part is just knowing that there is no model, there's no formula. People tell me, how do you sell the LPGA. That's no, there's no answer to that. The answer is depending on who's sitting across from and what they're looking to do. So it's I don't think you ever really get comfortable, and you never really feel like you figured It's kind of like golf, right, you never just when you think you figured it out, you have the worst three months of your life. And same is true as commissioner. Yeah, It's like the.
Speaker 1: Swing you have one day is never the same as the next swing.
Speaker 2: And as soon as you tell somebody you're a really good chipper, you go through the greatest yet period of your life. And so it's you know, the LPGA is similar that you don't really master this. You have to stay in a learning mode.
Speaker 1: I was reading a ESPN dot com article that you are quoted in. It said, we have to be just like our athletes, who in the off season will make major changes to their swing, diet, workouts, and an effort to gain more yardage or hit more greens. In regulation, we have to be willing to do the same thing. So when we when you take some chances, some are going to work out and some aren't. But our goal can't be to be conflict free free because if you're going to be conflict free, you don't take any chances. Curious, since since becoming the commissioner of what are some risks or chances that you've taken the paid off and maybe one that didn't work out as well as you hope.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny. I mean, going back to the first part of your question there, I mean when I joined, I didn't expect to see what I'd see, which is players in the top ten of the world rankings, I mean the Rolex World top ten. Would tell me about the new coach they got in and the off season they're gonna break down their swing and they're trying to get seven yards longer. Like seven yards longer. You're gonna do all that for seven yards? Well, commission, if I could be hitting eight iron in versus seven and my closest to the bend and they knew all the facts, you know where I could be. And I used to think these twenty year old kids have the guts to change their whole you know, their whole life and do it publicly, because they all get worse before they get better. In fact, they tell you they're gonna get worse before they get better, and they tell you that it's gonna happen on TV. But they realize if they don't do it, they can't take their game to the next level. I can't tell you how many times has Tiger rebuilt this swing. And I remember thinking I was flying back. I think I was flying back from Carl's bed. I remember the plane and we were having a debate. You know, I was online on WI fi in the air, having a debate with some of the folks about whether or not this would work or this wouldn't work. And I remember just suiting an email to somebody saying, our players wouldn't stress over this. They'd see the outcome and they know that if this one doesn't work, they'll try it another way. But they're getting to seven yards longer they do and they figure it out. And we got to have the We got to be the same. We have to have the same guts and belief and faith and unhappiness with status quo that they do. And I've told players many times when we've made mistakes, I'm gonna keep making them because you're going to keep making them. You got to give me the same freedom you give yourself to break down my swing, try it a different way. They won't all work. I remember the first time I suggested we play prorams at nine and nine, where you play nine holes and you leave, another player comes in and she plays with you on the back nine. I had played in a lot of programs with a lot of sponsors, and I kind of felt like by the thirteen or fourteenth hole, I'd said everything I needed to say to that player, and we learned that my brother and her brother went to the same school or whatever. But it was really exciting on that first tea when you're meeting for the first time. So we started doing nine hole and nine hole prorams turned out to be great. PGA Tours adopted it. Now you know, they do it too, but when we first started doing it, everyone kind of looked at us we were crazy. We introduced a tournament where we weren't going to play for a purse, called the Founder's Cup, and the whole idea was to remember that we got to pay it forward. That may not have been my greatest idea, but it's turned into a really great tournament with a really great, you know attitude. And we introduced the UL International Crown. Number one media writer said, why do you feel like you have to present a whole different format to golf, Like there's already a format. Just do the President's Cup. Just be the women's President's Cup. And I remember thinking, you know, that's got a better I hope I never fall for that, that whole easy way out thing. So and all of those examples I just gave you didn't work when we started and did work later. That's part of breaking down your swing. You got to know what's going to get worse before it gets better.
Speaker 1: So I use this analogy with golf courses all the time. I think my pet peeve is municipalities that look down the street at the golf course down the street and say, oh, it works for them, We're going to do that. If fascinating, like you know, a U All crowned, perfect example, like why don't you just do what the PGA Tour does? Well, like, we aren't the PGA Tour. We're gonna do what we do. And in the end of the day, like now, I personally think, you know the President's Cup, they should do something like the U All crown instead, because you know the President's Cup, it will always be the younger brother of the Ryder Cup.
Speaker 2: Well, as I always say, I don't know who developed the President's Cup, but it was probably an American because it's America versus rest of World. I always said, if you asked an American to play on team rest of World, they'd probably say no, Like I don't even know what color to wear, what anthem are we gonna sing? What do I paint on my face? Like our players when they put their flag on their face, it is a game changer. And so when you see Team Thailand walk out of the locker room and they got the Thai flag on, and they got Thaie colored ribbons in their hair and the national anthem gets played when they walk into the first tea, it is I see grown athletes who are the best in the world shake and get nervous, and I love that because that's what we'd feel like on the first team most time. And so you know, I always say that, you know, playing America versus the rest of the world doesn't make sense in women's golf today, probably won't make sense long term and men's golf, but right now it probably still does. But in women's golf that when you've got players coming from all over the world, When top fifteen in the Rolex World rankings come from ten different countries, it just doesn't make sense to try to create a rest of world team. And we didn't get everything right about you all International Crown, and I'm sure we'll make changes as the years go on, but it was it was our goal to try to create something different for golf, more customized to who we are.
Speaker 1: I know, in talking to some people that one of the biggest problems of the International team and the President's Cup is like they're all from different countries. They're all they a lot of different languages in there, and they have a lot of trouble bonding as a team versus you know, if you're playing for your country, you know all the all the all the players from your country because you grew up playing against them or you grew up idolizing them, and there's so much more cohesiveness and so much more you know, feeling of a team. You know, it's always easy for America to bond together as a team because like, you know, it's America.
Speaker 2: Just start chating USA. Yeah, we did. We even did. We decided to not have coaches and captains. We wanted to get the four players together and let them decide who they're playing with today and if they want to shake it up tomorrow we have hasn't happened yet in the UL Crown, but part of the rules of the UL International Crown is at the end of Sunday you could have more than two teams tied for them. You can have three different teams tied for the lead. If that happens, the teams have fifteen minutes to go back to their to their their country room, and after fifteen minutes, they have to come back and hand us on an envelope the name of one player who will play sudden death for their country. I said, one of these times this is going to happen. Imagine how cool it is that there go the teams, they got no coaches, no captains, and they got to walk out and choose one of them to play sudden death for the whole thing. And it's just to me, it's fun because it creates leadership opportunities and differences. And they, like I said, there's no one, there's no one to blame. It's the four of them in a room and they make all the decisions for whatever team they represent.
Speaker 1: You got to get video of that.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm not sure they wanted to view of that. Right, that seems sponsorable somehow if I think about that long enough.
Speaker 1: So I'm a I'm a big idea this guy. What's what's an idea that you'd just love to implement that Maybe the world of golf isn't reay for.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of ideas I think the world isn't right for. But I'd I'd like to see six or nine hole match play, and you know, I call it like the speed nine, and you know, you'd probably play two or three matches a day. But to me, match play gets really interesting on the tenth t. It would be incredible if at the tenth t was the first t and if you lose the first hole of a nine hole match, it's game on so hard, and I think it'd be really cool to you know, you find the right golf course that might have twenty seven or thirty six holes, we'd play these speed nines and it would be you know, it'd be a little bit more like we do today. I think the other the other thing that I think the world is ready for, we just got to figure out dates and everything else is is playing the PGA Tour and the LPGA together. Whether that means we're all playing our own ball on the street him and leader boards, but I think a pretty big cood will see Bubba Watson and Lexi Thompson as a team and he's been down reading her putt and she's suggested he can hit his driver over that corner and and you know they're paired up against you know, Jude Tanagarn and and and Justin to Justin Dustin Johnson, and I think it would be I think golf's ready for it. I know the fans are ready for it. I think it would create the kind of you know, bonds and fun. Unfortunately, both of us now have pretty full schedules and we're rarely in the same even part of the States, let alone part of the world. But I think that that's something that the good news for me is that both sides are really interested in trying to figure out.
Speaker 1: So that's it's a timely, timely response given this week you got the first ever LPGA sanctioned vic Open, and that's playing congruently with the European Tour, where you've got one group of men followed by one group of women throughout the two golf courses. What has been the early feedback so far from it? And you know your thoughts.
Speaker 2: You know, we've seen it. You know we saw it last year and I remember it in a room just like we're sitting and talking about man that is really they are really onto something. And we had talked to Golf Australia about joining it last year in twenty eighteen, but it was season wise. It didn't fit for us right off the bat. We started talking to him again in summer of eighteen, about twenty nineteen, and it really did fit. It's funny we were talking about ideas that work and ideas it doesn't work. And I always tell people that if you evaluated my tenure at the LPG on my first year of every new idea, people would say, my god, he's having a terrible run as commissioner, which they may say anyway, And I always say, if you like the vic Open and I love it, don't evaluate it based on our first year there, give me three or four years and watch what happens to that event. Because I really do believe we're on the brink of something really significant that's going to have more and more sponsors joined the party, more and more TV coverage joined the party. I know that our players, from just talking to him this week, are really enjoying the experience. We really enjoyed the Pinehurst back to back. Just the interaction with the athletes is positive for both the men and the women. So I believe it's the start of what's going to be three or four of these over the next you know, five or ten years. But vic Open will be the one that really set the standard. And I think, I think, just sit back and watch that grow because the seeds of that thing is unbelievable. With a little bit of nourishment, I mean, that thing's going to grow into something pretty powerful.
Speaker 1: I think it's reciprocal too. I have a regular podcast with Jeff Ogilvie, who's playing, and he was emailing me this week about, you know, how how cool it was, how excited he was to talk about the experience. And I think, uh, from from what I had seen and saw and heard from the coverage. I didn't watch all of it, but like they did a great job of showing like the men play through and then the women play through a hole or the women, and you could see the differences, and so you see how how they you know, the different games, And I think that's it's such a cool fan experience too, because you're you're also in exposed. Like everything in life, variety is so great, and it gives you variety at a sporting event, which is so rare because like you know, as a fan PGA Tour golf or LPGA is it becomes ben honest versus like you got to change up, like Oh, who's in this group? Who's in this group?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny. I got an email from our lead official, our lead rules official from Australia on Tuesday, and she said, Mike, you would have loved to see today's practice rounds. Almost known. None of the groups in the practice round were all men, are all women. They were all intermixed. And she said, we didn't set that up. That wasn't something that was posted in the locker room. It's just people were playing together and it was really kind of a cool experience. I agree with your comment about variety. I mean, we introduced four new events for twenty nineteen. Three of them are formats we've never played before. And you know, I'll be honest. When I was joined in twenty ten, I felt we needed to build enough of a stable schedule so that we could do other formats. Yeah, you have to provide enough of a routine schedule so you can really identify who's the best golfer in the world at the end of that season. But at the same time, once we built it pretty strong and robust schedule, I felt like we both we had both the freedom and the responsibility to bring different not just for us or our fans, our players too. Our players like the variety. So we played the Diamond Resorts. We were playing with a bunch of former, former and current athletes and country music singers and comedians. We're playing the VIC Open this week. We watched what happened to the Zurich Classic on the Men's Tour and I loved it. I loved it from the first time they had the teams to the last time. Whether or not that works long term in the PGA Tour almost doesn't matter to me because I knew the day I saw it that would work for the LPGA. So together with Dow we've launched that starting this year in nineteen. So I'm excited about the fact that we're growing our schedule right Yeah, Midland, Michigan, and it's a two person you know, two person team event, very similar to the Zurich Classic. In fact, we literally called the PGA Tour when we saw the first one and said, if you wouldn't mind sharing with us sort of all the data you used, and how does this really work? How do you play for official money and FedEx Cup points in a team format? Because that's always been the hang up on team is how can I make it be official if it's two of you and it wasn't all your performance. And we walked through their thing. We shared it with our board and said we think they're onto something, and we literally stole the same logic they let us. So we have seventy two two person teams starting at Dow. It's kind of cool at Dow because it leads in to Aviance. So it'll be a Saturday finish and there'll be a Wednesday through Saturday, and even the Wednesday, I think I'll get more coveragean anything we've done before.
Speaker 1: That's the Web has done some experiments with that Sunday through Wednesday, and I find myself obviously I watched more golf than it's really healthy for human being, but I find myself like really glued to it, and I think it's not especially if you played in an area where you can get the primetime window on those days it's like so massive. The Web obviously does it in Jamaica where you don't get that, but you know, with like the World Cup of watching primetime golf like this winner when they were playing at Metropolitan, Like found myself transfixed on golf in December and outside of the Wednesday through Saturday. Have you looked into ever thought like looked into doing like a Sunday through Wednesday type type of week.
Speaker 2: It's a great question. If you'd asked me in toothy ten, I would have told you our schedule would be almost all Sunday through Wednesdays because I needed to avoid the conflict. The reality of it is, if you go back to two thousand nine and twenty ten, we were the third most watched tour. There was the PGA Tour, Champions Tour, and then US. And when you're the third most watched tour, you spend your life primarily tape delayed at nine o'clock to eleven o'clock at night or eleven o'clock to one am. And I just knew we couldn't live in that window. The good news for US is over the course of twenty ten to kind of twenty fourteen, we quickly became the number two watched tour. So what that means is is when the PGA Tour on a Saturday or Sunday flips over to network TV and that three to five or three to six window opens up on Golf Channel, the next best watch tour typically gets that window that's now US. So here's my challenge is when I play a Wednesday to Saturday, I have a really good Wednesday, I mean, you have a Wednesday that we wouldn't normally get. But a super Wednesday, I mean a super Wednesday is worse than a really bad Sunday. And that's just a reality. Since and since I don't lose Saturday and Sundays anymore, I have really good TV windows, it's really not for me. So if the web dot Com Tour doing that totally makes sense, I would have been doing it too. But as we grew viewership and really kind of took off here in the States, we took that secondary spot. And it's just it's too good for me to pass up three to six on Saturday and Sunday of live TV because I can't make up for it on a really good Tuesday.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. Something I've admired and I think it is fascinating is you guys are going to you know, not the major metro markets, the secondary metro markets, and then you see the crowds and it's just unbelievable. Hey, how do you go about selecting cities that you're going to go with new events, or say, as sponsor changes, you can need to move an event.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my players hate this, but when I admit it out loud, but there's not a map in my office with circles around certain markets. I mean, you can do that as a commissioner, but you quickly realize that that's generally time waste. I have gone to see so many sponsors that now have title tournaments, and when I went to see him, I thought I was going to work on a certain market. But at the end of the day, I've got to play events where I can have the greatest impact on that sponsor's business. And eight out of ten times they'll tell me where that is. Wherever they have all their suppliers coming together, wherever they have their national sales meetings, wherever they have the greatest customer, wherever their business is expanding the fastest. So I might meet with HSBC in London, thinking I'm gonna have a London event, but we played the event in Singapore. I met with Chicago Merchandile Exchange thinking we were talking about Chicago, but my events in Naples. So the reality of it is I play where I can have the greatest impact on the check writer's business. But you're right. I mean, if you look at the LPGA's both history and current status, we're at our best when we're in those second and third kind of tier markets. We're not competing with you know, Yesterday's NBA game, Tomorrow's Major League Baseball game, and Sunday's NFL game. You know those those markets get pretty saturated and spoiled, right, I mean, having the best one hundred and thirty five female golfers in the world World into Town is less of a big deal in New York than it is in Toledo. It's less of a big deal, you know, sometimes in London than it is in Thailand. So we go to where we can really make the biggest splash. I mean it blows people away that for the first time they'll travel with us to Asia. And if you open up the paper in Taiwan when we're playing time, we're the first three pages of the sports section. We're the first story of sports at night on TV. And I think for people that follow the LPGA only in the States, they probably don't get that. But we go to where we can have the greatest impact.
Speaker 1: Since coming on, we've already talked a little bit about it, but you know, with sponsors, huge uptick and sponsorship and then also purses and then the viewership we've talked about, you got it moved up to into the second spot, So you know what taking those two and I'm sure there are obviously major focuses always for your business. What's the big next, biggest focus for you guys in twenty nineteen and on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's it's two, which is kind of a commissioner cop out. You never just give one answer. But you know, for me, I told people when we started we had to build a full schedule if we really wanted to build purses. For the last few years, we really haven't been making the schedule any bigger. We add new tournaments because we lose tournaments, but our number of about thirty four events a year is kind of where we want to be. But our real push has been in terms of growing, you know, growing purses. So we're playing for enough one. I've always said, I don't need to grow huge purses. So the richest player on tour can be a lot richer. But the difference right now between playing on the LPGA Tour and playing on the PGA Tour is if you finish one hundredth on the PGA Tour, you make a million dollars. If you finish twentieth on the LPGA Tour, you make a million dollars. And our travel expenses are dramatic, you know. So to me, I want to make sure that if you're one of the best one hundred female golfers in the world and you make it to this tour, which is not easy to make it to financially, you've got a good career and I don't want to make it to You got to be in the top thirty or forty or fifty to have that answer. And to do that, I've got to build purses to a level where if you make it to the LPGA, it might not be easy to stay on the LPGA, but if you do, it's a quality income and a quality lifestyle. And quite frankly, if you're the best one hundred anything in the world, you got to be able to figure out a way to make that worthwhile from a living perspective. So one is a pursas the other, which was related to that is in the States, it's Network TV. You know, right now, we're really lucky to have the Golf Channel as our partner. They produce almost five hundred hours of TV a year. When I got here, we had a little less than two hundred. Now we have five hundred. It's almost all live. It used to be all tape delayed, and we produce that to one hundred and seventy five countries all over the world. So because we have that partner, the rest of the world watches us, and that's the great news for me. The bad news is, Golf Channel is made up of guys like you you know that buy it. It's more men than women. It's you know, golf fanatics. It's not Channel four. It might be channel one, one, eight four in your local markets. So people don't casually find their way into the LPGA. You don't stumble into the LPGA. My wife doesn't get to see the LPGA because she doesn't turn on the Golf channel. So we've got to figure out a way. When I started, we had one network weekend. Now we have seven or eight. I should know that, but it's seven or eight. If we can get that seven or eight to fifteen or sixteen and play about half the time on some network TV during the weekend, we become more of a water cooler sport. We're less of a nitch sport. We become part of ESPN's Top ten and the discussion happening on Fox Sports. Otherwise, we kind of live in a smaller niche smaller audience, mostly male, watches us every week, and that's great. I love that audience. But if I was a better partner to the to the Golf Channel, I would spend some time on network, attract an audience it doesn't watch us all the time, and bring them back to the golf chann. I feel like the PGA Tour does that for the Golf Channel and we don't. And if we can do that, that not only makes us a better sport, but also changes the financial portfolio for our players as well. If you're a top player on tour and your hat is on Golf Channel thirty weeks a year, that's worth one thing. If your hat's on Golf Channel fifteen weeks a year and fifteen weeks a year on NBC, that's worth four times more.
Speaker 1: With the decline and TV and the rise in streaming, have you guys thought about anything any sort of streaming product that might be available on Netflix where you know, in contrast to Golf channel. The demographics completely switched.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the good news for us is the rise in streaming hasn't really hurt our overall viewers. I think we had so much room to grow on from a baseline that we've been intending to growing, even though I think some other sports have seen the hit of the last five or six years. I think only in twenty eighteen is the first time we really started incorporating streaming numbers just to know, and we're surprised how good those are. I think you'll you'll see an influence in streaming on the LPGA telecast, not only in the States, but certainly around the world. There's certain countries they just don't televise women's golf, they don't televise golf, and they certainly don't televise much women's golf, and they'll become definitely a Netflix. Like to your comment, there'll be a subscriber based opportunity for that that you'll see role around the world and will be part of a lot of those places. I think in the States it'll probably be a combination of our TV partner and some of their streaming work. It may not be a TV partnern't us doing streaming on the side. We I've always believed that, you know you you partner with people to do what they do for a living, and we do what we do for a living. I want to find a media partner and I have one, you know that that this is what they do for a living, and then together I want to be there incubator when they want to try something new. I want to be the first brand they think about trying it with.
Speaker 1: That's a good good mentality. Have do what you do well?
Speaker 2: Got it?
Speaker 1: So, speaking of big platforms, the Olympics obviously gave you guys a massive plat proof. Would you say the biggest platform you've ever had?
Speaker 2: I would say not just for the lpj O was the largest congregation of casual golf fans watching golf in the history of the game.
Speaker 1: Did you see was there an impact that from like the long tail of that. Did you see a spike in women's golf viewership after and and carry on afterwards?
Speaker 2: You know, it's funny long answer to the question. But when I got to Rio and setting my first press conference, it's the first question was commissioner, how great is this going to be for women's golf, and what's the podium lineup that would be best for you at the end of the tournament. And I remember saying, you know, guys, it really doesn't matter what happens in Rio. The Olympic movement, if you will, I mean that term. I never knew what that term was, but I lived it in two thousand and nine, when golf was entered into the Olympics, the Olympic Movement began and countries all around the world started investing in golf. And when you invest in golf, you invest in women's golf. And so we went from countries who viewed golf as a rich, elitist, old man's sport to what they call podium sports. I heard this term all around the world, podium sports. And what I mean is, if you're a sport that might be on a podium with our flag one day, the government invests in you. If you're not, you're just a sport and good luck to you. And we were just a sport before that. So what I saw is driving ranges and golf schools and world renowned teachers opening up teaching facilities to young girls all over the world that didn't exist just ten years before that. So by the time we got to the Olympics, we'd already won. Women's golf had already won, and golf was really taken off all over the world. The fact is, you know, then, to your question about TV ratings, here's a good example. So Innby Park from Korea wins the gold medal a year before that. She was playing to win her fourth major in a row. I mean, the greatest historic move in the world. And when she did that in Korea, we had an eight rating. And an eight rating is you know, that's Tiger Wood's worthy rating in her home country when she won the Olympics in the middle of the night. By the way, in Korea, it was a twenty four point one rating. So I mean, this is the difference between playing for the Olympics. As MB said to me, I wasn't really famous in Korea until I won the gold medal, and now I'm famous in Korea. The same thing was true, you know on the men's side. You know, we got players that won majors and had ten times to viewership in their home country when they stood on the podium of the Olympics. So I think, you know, people forget what an incredible viewing audience that the Olympics delivers. And the good news for US is the majority of that audience didn't really pay attention to golf before that, and we've seen that lag effect in all of our international country sense, not just for viewership, but more importantly for investment in the game. And so this whole Olympic movement thing, it's real. I didn't buy it when I started in twenty ten. My first Olympic board meeting, I said to Tim fincham, do we really need golf in the Olympics, Like we're we're good, right? Like I was totally clueless. And he said to me, Mike, you know, it's funny. Mike, I used to think that too, But watch it for a few years and let's talk again. I never brought it up with him again because I saw what he knew, and that the movement that was happening worldwide was powerful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Olympic gold medal medal, I mean he's huge. You even see with like guys that skeet shooters, you know, like a skeet shooter becomes a you know, a famous person because he, you know, he or she won gold medal. It's pretty amazing if you had it your way, what would the Olympic format be.
Speaker 2: Well, that's sort of unfair since I said on the IGF board, but it would be so my personal preference is not to have a format, but to have multi formatch. When I turn on the TV doing the Olympics, I see Michael Spitch swim every night for a medal. This night he swim with the butterfly. The next time it's the im, then he swims the free. They bring the same number of athletes, they just swim for six different medals, and they swim for a different medal every night. I'd like to see some stroke play that's a shortened amount of stroke play for the men and the women, and right in the middle of that, I'd have a men and women team competition for country. That could be stroke play, it could be match play, but I would rather we play for four or five different Olympic stages over the course of the same two weeks, with the same number of athletes. Why not have Lexi Thompson trying to win the individual stroke play on Saturday and on Monday. She's partnered with with Ricky and they're trying to win for us in that play and then maybe Ricky's doing something on Tuesday when Lexi's gone. I don't I feel like we almost are limiting ourselves by bringing all these athletes together this incredible format and we have one podium moment.
Speaker 1: I agree with the team and the individual thing, and I looked into it and I think both on the in the men and women's game, there's like more than four players from over thirty countries in the top fifteen hundred in the world. It's like, it's not a lack of players, right.
Speaker 2: I think the challenges, and it's a fair challenge, is if you're going to give a gold medal out, should you win a gold medal for individual stroke play that's less than four days or does that somehow devalue it relative to winning the Open Championship or Augusta. And if four days and seventy two holes is kind of how we value the best of the best and that's how the cream really rises the top, then if you played a fifty four holes or less individual would it be a lessened achievement. I don't agree with that, but I know that there's some people that feel that way, and I get that. You know something at the end of the day. Like I said, it's a there's a lot of different voices. I think right now the best thing is golf's in the Olympics and will continue to be an Olympics. And we delivered. I mean, we weren't a tertiary sport when we showed up our ratings, our social followings, the media, we brought you. The quality of fields were really super high, and we really delivered back to the IOC, just like they delivered back to us. So I think the good news is I think golf and the Olympics are going to be partnering together for a long time and we really do bring a world sport and a world following. I remembered somebody not with the IOC, but an Olympic employee, said to me, how many countries are here this week for the women? I forget what we had, like thirty four countries and it is wow. How cool is it, Commissioner that you get to show up an event that has thirty four countries? And I said, well, there'll be thirty four countries at my event next week too. But I understand that if you don't follow golf all the time, you may not grapple with how global it is, and not every sport in the Olympics delivers that amount of worldwide both attention and participation. So we really felt like, and I really think it's true that we belonged. It wasn't. We didn't feel like we had a sponsor invite into the Olympics. When we walked in there. We really felt like we were as global as anybody else.
Speaker 1: I think the other thing is the competition's really equitable among those thirty four countries too, Like you could look at down the list and almost anybody could win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's fun. I especially on the women's side. I think the men's side was just as impressive. But on the women's side, you know, we, like I said, if you take the top fifteen Rolex ranked players, you probably have ten countries in those top fifteen. So we're already borderless. I mean, the women's game has long since left left the station, and it is a worldwide game, and the best in the world come from all over the world. Yes, there's a lot of great players from Korea, a lot of great players in Japan, a lot of great players from America, and they probably lead in terms of countries, but there's also great players from countries that ten years ago women didn't even play golf there.
Speaker 1: So we've talked a little bit about sponsorship. In comparison to sponsorship, how difficult is it to find, like or get the venue you want once you have a sponsor.
Speaker 2: I don't think. I don't think I've ever found a venue difficulty hard. I mean, the reality is some of the best venues in the world have a price tag for what they think that's worth. Some of the best venues in the world have just decided they'll only host something once every decade. If it's not a major, they're not interested. That's certainly their prerogative, I mean their golf course, not mine. But I think we've generally played either where we want to play or where we can afford to play. I mean, sometimes the price tag is is too significant, Like I said, on some courses are just saying not interested unless it's a you know, unless it's a major and you're gonna come once and not come again for thirty years. So but there's but there's certainly courses we'd like to play and haven't played yet, and I think we will in time. In my ten years on tour watching what's happened to our major venues has been really fun to watch. I mean we, you know, we used to play the LPGA Championship at places we could play. Now, together with KPMG and the PGA of America, we're only playing venues that have hosted a men's Major or a Ryder Cup. I mean we're you know, we're you know, from Olympia Fields, you know, to Kemper to you know, Hazel Team to Baltus Role. I mean, we're, you know, best of the best watching what same thing has happened in the US Open. I mean I remembered saying one time when I first got here to the United States Golf Association committee, will we be part of a pebble Beach Olympic, you know kind of rotation, and and we weren't then in terms of we weren't on the plan. But those are all things that are happening in the in the in the years coming. So I think if you're a young, you know, twenty two year old LPGA player and you're looking out at major venues, same has happened overseas, you know, when we're talking about the best of the best, you know, playing Saint Andrews, and and and and playing the courses you grew up watching the men play the British Open. That's where we're going now. So it's it's it's it's a great time to be a young LPGA pro. As it relates to playing venues that you grew up watching men only.
Speaker 1: Play, How's how's the venue selection? How does the process go? Like, so you get a new event and you're u a city, Like, what how do you guys go about figure out what your priority list is? I'm curious. I've never even thought to ask this.
Speaker 2: Well, totally different if you're talking about a major versus a regular event, and a major generally speaking, you know, the major person is out, the RNA's out looking for the USGA is looking for the British. If it's a regular tour event, it's a combination of two things. First, you know, like I said, the marketplace is determined by where we can have the greatest impact for that sponsor. And then after that we'll talk about the options and the prices. Right. So, when I met with Chicago Merchandelics Change and I thought we were talking about Chicago event and he said, I bring my three hundred biggest customers every year to Naples, Florida. Would you play in Naples? I said, I play where you play, you know, so we go to Naples, Florida. When we went to Naples, Florida, initially a couple of the courses we wanted to play it weren't available in the dates that because we had to play around their conference and when those when those became available, we moved too. So, you know, playing at the RITZ was important to them because they do all their work at the RITZ with their customers. We wanted to make it easy for his top three hundred customers to be part of the program, part of the tournament. So we play at the RITZ. That probably isn't the least expensive place for us to play in Naples, but it works the best for our sponsor. We had the money in the in the in the budget to do it, and so we we work it out that way. But a lot of them are like I said, they're really about where the tournament and the customer feel best fits their needs. Sometimes it's all about how many people can we get in here because it's all about a big hometown event. Sometimes it's all about the program experience and what they could do from the program, and sometimes they look at us and say the best, the best course you can get on in this market. Obviously, for us we don't struggle with some of the things the PGA Tour. We want to play sixty five hundred and sixty six hundred yards almost every course we go to and we say, what's sixty five hundred yards? Well, those are our blue Teas or or something along those lines. But generally speaking, we're playing the golf course the way it was originally designed, and that makes it both easy and enjoyable for us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it would be. I'm a I'm a classic course. Uh, you know, I love it and I one of the things that really draws me to the LPGA is your guys' ability to play classic golf courses at the regular t's the way they were designed, original intended ties. And then also the game is much it fits much more of the architecture that was intended. You know, the.
Speaker 2: Fairway bunkers are an extazard I mean you actually have to avoid them, not fly over them.
Speaker 1: Angles matter trajectory because the trajectory and the spins are lower, so all of a sudden, being on the right side of a faraway or the wrong side of the pharaway really really matters. And then also, you know, the women are so good, their dispersion patterns are so small that they can actually aim for in play to get an angle into a green. So I mean, I'd personally love to see some sort of and I talked with Jeff Ogilvie on on a few podcasts ago, some sort of you know club to step up and become the Augusta National of you know, the LPGA, where you know, whether it be you know, a great Northeast club that's got an unbelievable classic course that says, hey, we know that you know, the men's game is long gone, but we like we want to showcase the great golf course we have. And I think that there's a major opportunity in in the in the women's game too, because it's so much more relatable to the every golfer.
Speaker 2: I think you'll see, especially over the next five or six years, KPMG and PGA of America have have have filled a lot of that void. I mean Aronomak and Baltistrawl and Hazeltine. I mean, you're gonna see us go into places and play to your point, play the original teas you know, and play that golf course the way, and I think to your point, there's there's that list can keep growing. I'd almost rather see what we're doing with KPMG than just one location, because we we'd like to hit a lot of them as opposed to just one of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I was gonna ask for a rotating sponsor. It's obviously got to be a really big company, right.
Speaker 2: That's got it's a big number because you have to you can't go build local sales like we just went and built a bunch of local sales in Chicago, and then the next week and next year it's in Minnesota, so you kind of start all over again. So it's a little bit more of an effort to rotate an event. But because the PGA of America and the KPMG are so committed to this thing and growing this thing as the major of the have, it's really created something pretty special for us. And so now if you think about it, three of our majors rotate to the three really incredible you know venues each year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so all of golf is getting younger. What are the unique challenges of marketing younger players.
Speaker 2: It's not just marketing younger players, it's it's there's some unique challenges from a lifestyle perspective. We don't play forty two events in America, So once you figure out America, then you're good to figure out travel. You know, playing sixteen seventeen different countries every year. So you're talking about a twenty twenty one, twenty two year old kid landing in Thailand and we played two hours from the Bangkok airport and then you know, do you you know, are you trying to rent a car in Australia and I try to figure out a shuttle bus in Taiwan. You know, all of our pro am parties are are alcohol related, right, there's alcohol in these pro am parties, and you know you're playing with guys my age, right, it's fifty year old men and it's little things. But you know different, security for us is a little different. You know, we we probably have, you know, more stalker related things and they might have in other sports. We try to be really accessible and make sure that the ropes are are not so far away on the LPGA. But at the same time, you know, job number one is safety and security of these athletes, So you know, you're it's it's it's a little different. People say to me all the time, like, you know, why why would you turn down that petition of that sixteen year old player who's obviously a good golfer, And I'm said, you know, being on the LPGA Tour is about more than just good golf, and it's you know, it's a pretty grown up thing. And you know it's uh and you know, thirty years ago you could play on the LPGA and never get out of your car. Today you couldn't play two events and probably stay in your car. So it's it's, it's it's quite a bit different. And you know, the the the interesting thing is what's really happening in youth and I see it happen every day. Is used to be. You know, twenty years ago you would make it to the LPGA. And when you made it to the LPGA, you learned about diet, you you learned about physiotherapists, you learned about great coaches. All of a sudden you met some of the best coaches in the world. You learned about stretching, you learned about sleep, and all that stuff really became aware to you as a professional. That's the stuff you learned as a professional. Today athletes are learning that at eleven and twelve and thirteen. Great coaches, great physios, they know how to eat already, they know how to stretch. It's by the time they show up at our level, they've had all that training and it's all second nature. And that's why you're seeing people win at a much younger age, especially on the LPGA, because what used to take place in your twenties is taking places in your early teens, and so those things are all second nature to you, and so the learning curve is happening before they even get to us.
Speaker 1: It has become a much more of an athletic game over the last twenty years, no doubt. And if it's an athletic game, then the younger, you know, the prime of a players younger, So may it coincides with that. So I got to ask your commissioner of one of the big organizations, did you watch the match?
Speaker 2: I did not watch the match. Unfortunately it wasn't a match thing. The match happened the week after our season ended. I don't watch golf for about a month after our season ends.
Speaker 1: I mean, the only way to stay saane.
Speaker 2: Well, the only way to stay sane in this job is you got to shut it down. I am not a wrap around fan, not because it probably wouldn't be great for the LPGA. I'm not sure I could survive it. You know, I do go to our events and i'm you know, I'm I'm traveling a lot, and you know, like our players, I need to set it down for a month too. So the match happened, if I remember right, the match was with a Thanksgiving is Friday, because we play the weekend before Thanksgiving is our CME Group Tour Championship in Naples. I drive home that Monday when that event's over, and I play a lot of golf. I don't watch any golf. I don't watch Golf Central, I don't read the media for probably about a month. It's the only, Like I said, it's the only way to stay sane. I would have watched it. I mean, to me, anything new in golf is worth is worth it to me? I don't. I'm I'm not sure how it went or didn't go. I didn't watch any I didn't watch any tape delayed versions of it. But I hope that no matter how good or how bad it was. It doesn't stop us from trying new things, because it's when you stopped. I said this many times. When I got here and introduced a fifth major. You everyone were sure I was the anti Christ and I was killing golf and how could he be doing that? And I remember saying in one ESPN interview, Hey, I don't know how you guys reacted when they added a a three point line in basketball, or a twenty four second shot clock, you know, or baseball changed, you know, to a different ball where we got rid of the wet we added the designated here. I know all those things were sacrilege. I remember sitting there listening to a guy argue about Inner League playing baseball. I was gonna kill baseball. I remember thinking, my gosh, I mean, it's just playing another team. And I think, if you're not willing to change, you just in the beginning of the end, you're just becoming a dinosaur and you don't know it. So golf's got to be willing to take some chances. Then they're not all going to work. It's the same thing we talked about in the beginning, whether the match was good of the match was bad. I hope next year, they add two women of the match and have you know, have Phil be Danielle Kang's partner, and have Michelle Wee beg Tiger's partner, and I'll break my off season no watching habits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's uh, you know, the only guy said we don't get an off season media.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sorry. That's that's a you problem, not a me problem.
Speaker 1: I was talking with my wife last night about it. It's like, I really need an off season. That's really a shame that golf never stops.
Speaker 2: My wife would be the first one that would turn off golf in the first month of my off season. I mean she knows. I mean it's a you know, it's a job that doesn't stop. Right, it's always just as my wife says, it's always noon somewhere. You know, we finished dinner in which he's talking to China, and he's done talking to China, he's talking to Korea. When Korea goes to sleep, Australia wakes up. And so it's a it's just a job that's hard to turn off. But when we get to that off season, it's it's a break you just got to take.
Speaker 1: I didn't even think about the unique challenges of it with the LPGA being so international as you just you're you're on everybody else's time zone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember she said to me one time, this is when I first taken the job. Who can you talk to it five in the morning because all I go out in the back patio and I'll be talking. I'm like, hey, at five in the morning is a really good time to try to talk to Australia right before they go to bed, you know, And it's just yeah, it's that's the that's the good and the bat of the job is it you can always be doing it, so if you don't, if you don't take a break, it'll it'll tear you down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's an innovation I think is so necessary. I think it would be really cool to see the match. I know they're going to do another one, but see it with add women?
Speaker 2: Do it?
Speaker 1: Add more players to it, because one thing from my standpoint, suffered was the dead air time. You know, that's the problem with two people walking around a golf course. You guys don't have a match play event.
Speaker 2: You know, we don't. We had a match play event right up until a few years ago. And we will have another match play. Whether it'll be as we were talking before, whether it'll be the classic eighteen hole matches, sixty four players going down to maybe, but if I have my way, it'll be something a little. It'll be something a little, it'll be an offshoot of that to maybe something a little different.
Speaker 1: So brooks Kepka has been mouthing off about slow play. You ever think about doing a shot clock event like the European Tour did?
Speaker 2: I think if you get down to a shot clock, it becomes more gimmick than it becomes what you were trying to do. I mean, we don't publicize our fines and penalties a year, but I would just tell you that we have them every year. I don't know if every other tour would say the same, but we we penalize slow play, and players know we penalises stow play. Sometimes we've done it pretty publicly and it you know, it causes the same stir one way or the other. But we don't go after slow play because I'm so worried about what it means to the viewers at home or what it means to players. I think if you're a slow player, it's an unfair disadvantage sometimes to players who's not, and so it's more about creating a competitive set where everybody's on the same stage, because a player who plays a little faster, you know, can really be a disadvantage there. So to us, I mean that the slow play thing is about. I mean, honestly, somebody has said to me before, why don't you have a rules official in every group? Well, I don't really need that for penalty for penalties of drops and that kind of stuff. The only way I'd ever get to that is just to make sure that play is consistent. I think it's unreasonable to think I have all my buddies saying I mean, you know what, I played golf in four hours, in one minute or three hours. We played in three hours and thirty minutes today. We did that, but I didn't put too many four footers. He knocked a lot of them back to me, and none of my forefooters were for one hundred and twenty grand. So I mean, it's it's unrealistic to think you're going to put one hundred and forty four people on a golf course where even if they play fast, they're gonna get stuck at the turn anyway. But you know, can you know, but we've proven we can play in four and a half hours, and knowing that we can means that it's doable and something we want to keep pushing for it. There's also certain golf courses we play, We're playing in less than five hours is just not going to happen for all kinds of reasons. But making sure we're playing that course in a consistent pace so every player at least gets a consistent experience has got to be a consistent goal, and we're, you know, we're willing to penalize to do that.
Speaker 1: So I had never thought about this before. The whole thing recently happened with Brooks and Bryson. But hitting a golf shot quickly is kind of a skill. So like Tom Brady, what his greatest skill is getting a line and audibling within the within the game clock.
Speaker 2: With Chicago guys, we can't talk about Tom Brady.
Speaker 1: But you know, so he gets the line audibles, He audibles quicker and more efficiently than any other quarterback, and he's rewarded for If there wasn't a game clock, that skill would be mitigated. Would he be the greatest quarterback of all time? We don't know, But to the same certain extent, being a golfer, being able to read the lie, determine the lie, read a putt quickly is a skill. Yeah, And like right now, without any sort of enforcement of slow play, that skill is minimized.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But I think what you're saying, without any kind of enforcement of snow play, I don't think you're talking about the LPGA. Yeah, I mean, trust me, any player on any tour, and certainly on ours two would say we should be playing faster, and I don't. I wouldn't disagree with her, But I also I also would tell you, without any hesitation, that slow play not penalized LPGA Tour not true. Couldn't you get away with of course you can. You can't. Can't watch all one hundred and forty four one fifty six at all times. But there's there's certainly a number of players who, if they were honest with you, could tell you about being penalized in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 1: And like I, you know, I play tournament golf. I've I'm sure I've taken a lot of time to hit certain shots, and there's always different situations that require more time. It's just a fascinating thing. An aspect that I'd never thought about really, but it was you know, that happened coinciding with Tom Brady making this run, and it just clicked in my head. It's like, well that might make sense to have something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. I think the good news about Tom Brady is I don't think it's the shot clock that he get rewarded, but he's not getting sacked and he gets rid of the ball. But I think to your point, you know, there's we Like I said, if you're going to create a fair environment, you got to create the opportunity to play. It's funny. I've asked my rules group and I've never really followed up, but I might do it this offseason. Is when players are on the clock and they know that they essentially have the time to hit the shot. Generally speaking, everybody plays faster when they're on the clock. I really want to track whether or not the player's average score on the clock is better or worse. My hunch is that the players play a little bit better on the clock than when they don't, but I'm not sure if that's true.
Speaker 1: I think I remember seeing something from the shot clock event that guys that scoring was better.
Speaker 2: Is that right. I would just be curious because we can track players and just say was their average score? You know, better on the clock than not. But the reality of like I said, I think for fans at home, and you know I've listened to and called in the radio shows and everything else, I get it at home, you could play in three hours and twenty minutes. But I'm one hundred percent certain if I made you play every shot from every lie and I added one hundred and forty three people in that field, untild, you were playing for two and a half million dollars. Your three twenty is for twenty right now, and then we go from there.
Speaker 1: But here's another wrinkle to it. Don't you think that the TV television would be able to provide much better product if there was a shot clock?
Speaker 2: Maybe as long as we didn't turn the TV telecast into the shot clock, Like I said, at some point, I think, like when I remember when basketball went to the shot clock, the shot clock became the thing you were watching. Is now it's back to I'm watching an offensive play and oh yeah, of occasional, I'll look over there and see where we are on the shot clock. If there was such a thing, we'd have to get to that. But I think again, if you have one, if you have one arena and thirty four and thirty four thirty four cameras faced on that one arena and one ball in play, those things a lot interesting. We have six miles and one hundred and fifty six players. What sounds like a really interesting thing for the match isn't really realistic for a tournament.
Speaker 1: I completely. I think bashing golf coverage is hard. It forks the cover. But I think if you had a shock clock all of a sudden, I think where golf coverage goes bad is when you cut to a player and there's two minutes of nothing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that generally happens more and like I said, more of an LPGA problem than somebody else's problem, because we have you know, we have half the cameras of a PGA Tour event. So the PGA Tour, you know, producers looking at their screen and they don't have much downtime, they can always flip to a shot. In our case, we're generally following three groups and then we have the tower cameras, and among those three groups, you could have all of them standing still at an individual time. And so when somebody says to me, geez, your coverage is is the PGA Tour, I say, I can't argue that, because if I had twice as many cameras, I would have better coverage. But there's a budget limit to everything we.
Speaker 1: Do exactly well, our budgets are in the same. Also, it's like, right right, if you were you know, fan of golf, someone who's you know, never say the non major LPGA event one event, you got pick one, what would you recommend.
Speaker 2: Well, I just came from the Diamond Resorts, so I would say, go to the Diamond Resorts one. You'll see how good our players are, and you'll see it right up against I mean because I saw some phenomenal male athletes who play a lot of golf, and there were some plus ones plus twos in that group playing two and watching how much they were paying attention to how well we played. I mean, our players clearly, you know, shine in that event. It's also you see the interaction our players enjoy playing with them, they enjoyed the crowd. But that would be a great that'd be a great starter. Kit. I think once you went the Diamond Resorts, you'd say to yourself I'm gonna go watch more LPGA events. You might go there thinking you're gonna go watch Toby Keith or you're gonna go watch the cable guy. But I promise you're gonna end up. You're gonna end up watching Christy Kerr and Danielle Kang and so young you and then and then it'll lead to more things.
Speaker 1: With setup week in, week out? How does how how does that work with the tour? Do you do you guys have like a scoring range that you like to be in or does it? Does it not matter?
Speaker 2: You know, we're not we're not sitting in the booth going you know, how do we get to nine under? You know, what we're just trying to do is set up the golf course. So it's challenging and every week it's different, depends on rain, hardness. You know what we have the win happened in that week. But we're trying to create variety in the golf course, in a variety for the players. And we're trying to you know, we're trying to separate between one hundred and forty four players and the best. So it's it's funny. I have sponsors that will say to me Mike, I want minus nine to I want high single digits. And I'm always say, you know, I love you. You're probably really good at your job, but that's not happening here this week. You know you got to sit back and enjoy the enjoy the game. And I to me, I mean, I don't care if thirty one underwins or three underwins, as long as we've created a golf course that's gonna separate and figure out who's the best player this week. And quite frankly, I like thirty under more than I think all the other fans do. We had an event last week where I think thirty or last year we're thirty and one under one. And but I enjoyed watching players in a flat out shootout, like if you weren't Birdie and you were going home, and you know, get it, I get it. I like watching majors too, where they're going to grind over every butt and a bogie's a good score. But I don't like that weekend and week out. I mean, I can be I I enjoy being miserable on a golf course. I don't enjoy watching somebody else be miserable on a golf course.
Speaker 1: There's this there's like a paradox of par too. There's a I just read this paper that was done on you know, there's an academic paper and they looked at the the US Open Men's at Oakmont and Pebble Beach and they looked at par fives that were turned into par fours, and what they saw was that the scoring average was actually lower same exact hole as a par five than a par four.
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 1: Isn't that fascinating? Yeah, because like what happened.
Speaker 2: Was everybody had to go for it right than par four. You gotta get your right hybrid in and if you'd have gone seven iron wedge, you'd have been better off. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So this like whole idea of like, well they're thirty one under, Well he just changed far right. It's like they probably play worse. Yeah, Like what the study proved, there's a lot of samples that proved it out interesting, So like part doesn't really matter. Yeah, and like the greatest sense of given that study. So yeah, I think scoring if they shoot thirty one under thirty they shoot thirty one under.
Speaker 2: I think majors worry about it, probably more so. And I mean I'm trying to think even an urn, like we don't grind over it a day in inspiration, but you know, do we do? We we think more about, you know, the scores, I think in a major week than we do any other week. But that being said, I mean I've said this many times. You know, I don't remember what Rory shot when he was at hoy Lake. I mean it was like sixteen under, eighteen under. I mean it was it was, you know, it was, it was going low. I don't consider that any less of an Open championship. In fact, I loved it, you know, I mean it was a great and at the same time, somebody might go three three under because the wind's blowing. I think the whole focus on the number sometimes gets us away from, you know, the bottom line, you're gon win a tournament or a major. You're gonna be the best golfer there that week, and you're gonna have to beat the conditions, whatever those conditions are. And if it takes if it takes twenty two under to win or two underwin, I'm not sure we need to get so wigged out about that.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, I think the focus should almost be on separate like can can the best players separate themselves from like that. And you saw it like with the Phil Stenson match where you know, the next guy was like the well yeah, the open, they were like ten shots clear of the next player. But like that, that golf course clearly clearly rewarded and the setup rewarded the two best players that week. And that's it. That's the type of you know, I think that should be the focus much more than score.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think a lot of times the the tournaments remember the score, but nobody else does. If you asked me, you know, what was somebody's score last year when she what was you know, Corrida's score when she won to Thailand and her sisters score when she wanted to tie one, I have no idea. You know, I remember their wins. I remember kind of how they won, but I said, and I don't remember the score, but you know, maybe the maybe the local operator does, or the title sponsor. I don't know. Certainly, I'm sure the greenskeeper from that golf course remembers, but it's not what makes the event great.
Speaker 1: So if you could bring one, say one uh women's player from the past back and put her on the tour because of her like personality and game. Who would it be?
Speaker 2: God, I mean, I've got thousands to choose from. But I just talked to Nancy Lopez yesterday. So I did because Nancy is She's She's a just hit play person. You know. I'd say to Nancy, I'm going to meet with this sponsor and if you could, and I'll get over like a five minute thing, and she goes, okay, and I know what she means. Okay. That means she's done. And I could just walk in and hit play. And Nancy just she just gets it. I mean, she's just from the very beginning, she she understands their business more than her business. She wants to make sure that whatever we do it works for them. As I've heard her say to other players before, as long as this works for them, we'll be playing here for a long time, so let's not worry so much about about us. That's you know, that is that is home. But I honestly could could rattle off a bunch of players who get that. I mean, I mean, every time we go to the Founder's Cup and we bring out some of the players that played before Patty, she and could give a could give a could give a clinic in this. You know, Pat Bradley, you know could give a clinic in this. You know Big Mama is is you know is the clinic in this. And it's just they understand that. I mean as one player is. One player on the Legends Tour said to me, Wednesday's pay day. You know it's payday for you. We'll play over the weekend for our pay day. But we got to make sure we deliver their pay day. And that's just a mentality that I hope we never lose.
Speaker 1: If LPGA was a stock market, you know, what's what's one name that the general public maybe not have heard of that you'd be you'd be investing in the in the early futures on.
Speaker 2: You're talking about players. Yeah, there's nothing, nothing quicker to shorten the life of the commission. And we starts picking out players because it just didn't go over well and player dining later. But there's I think there's there's five or six players that might be falling under the radar of the American Like I remember playing in a tournament program with Minji Lee a couple of years ago, and I said to my group later, get to know her story, and they said, why I said, because she's gonna be the number one player in the world. And she was probably twenty at the time. I mean not she might have been twenty years old, but she was also twenty in the world rankings. But I just said, you know, I just played with a player who has every shot in the bag, who has a who has a great mind for the game. That kid's gonna sit on top of the world rankings. I remember saying the same thing about Soe Young you know, ten years ago, you know, I mean, you play with somebody that that you just see it like it's it's all there, the hunger, the ability, you know, the the game. It's when you when you see it. I remember, I remembered I met Danielle Kang when she was an amateur and thinking, Okay, that kid's gonna that kid's gonna win a lot of events at the LPGA level. And so we got to figure out her story now, because we're gonna be telling her story for a long time. I would say the the easiest stock purchase right now would probably Nelly Korda. It's you know, there's it's just the whole package, right, great great athlete. Anyway, in my in a family. That's that's you know, that's built great athletes with a swing. That's that's unbelievable. And I don't think a lot rattles, or if it does, I don't see it come out. And she's got a great support system between her, her brother or sister, her mom and dad. They really get it. I mean, her dad made those kids put down their golf clubs a lot. They don't play all the events all the time because he wants them to, you know, enjoy their life and be hungry when they're out there. So I remember seeing it. I mean, Jessica was one of the first players who petitioned me as a commissioner when she was not yet eighteen, and it was one of the first, maybe the first petition I approved in my tenure. And then I watched her sister go through the same thing. They're an easy stock purchase.
Speaker 1: That's your answer tied perfectly back to the start of the conversation where we uh, how cool it would be if Menji and min Wu got to play together in a team you know PGA or European Tour LPGA, sang event like that would be.
Speaker 2: Think of a World Cup with men and women and that'd be really kind of cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we got it. Thank you so much for your time. Excited to do a lot more LPGA coverage this year and and see you around the around the tour. But uh, we can follow you guys, follow you on on Twitter. I know you're you're active there and uh, the LPGA tour as well as a lot of the players.
Speaker 2: So yeah, don't follow me, follow the players. They're they're interesting. I'm corporate, but but yeah, I mean I follow them for the same reason too. I mean, as a golfer, I enjoy seeing what our players are up to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we will. Uh, we'll talk to you soon. And thanks so much for the time.
Speaker 2: Thanks for covering us. We appreciate it.