Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Business Week Daily reporting from the magazine that helps global leaders stay ahead with insight on the people, companies, and trends shaping today's complex economy. Plus global business finance and tech news as it happens. The Bloomberg Business Week Daily Podcast with Carol Masser and Tim Steneveek on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 3: We have a great voice writ in studio with us to kind of get to all things the President and the White House with us is Bloomberg News White House and Washington correspondent Jeff Mason here in studio. In the meantime, we will monitor, of course, the President's comments and bring you anything of substance. Jeff, good to have you here with us. I do want to stay with you. I guess it's I think fair you've been listening to this press conference, anything of note here that you think we should bring attention to and.
Speaker 4: Full of thanks only. First on Iran, he is suggesting that talks are going on, even though Aron says talks are not going on, and that just becomes a situation of who do you believe? And it's hard to answer that question. But my understanding is there are at least some sort of context going on, but who that is or who it's with seems to be up in the air. It's also you know where they are, well, I'm not sure that they're physically like that everyone is in one place. There are a couple intermediaries who have been part of this process from the from the get go, Oman being one of them, and that Iran recognized or acknowledged that Oman was, that they were in touch with him Oman about this, But it's it's just hard. It's hard to know because the president says these things, and it's certainly very important to him to show that there's a pathway to peace because he doesn't want this to go on forever. But it's it's tricky.
Speaker 5: What is that pathway though?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's unclear to me. I wish he were here so that we could we could ask him, I mean, and to go back to just some of the things that he said just now. He said that the Strait is going to open, the Straight of war moves is going to open tomorrow, and that there will and there will be no tolls or no fines. Well, that is the opposite of what Iran is saying, and it's also the opposite lesson, or it ignores the fact that Iran has learned the lesson over the last six months, that it has the control that it has. So it's it's pretty hard to imagine that they're just going to give that up, and the President is not acknowledging that at all.
Speaker 3: What about are they going to give up their access to have nuclear weapons?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 4: Another piece of that is that the President will say and set over the weekend and and may have suggested it again today, that Iran is not going to have a nuclear weapon, and we can do this quickly. It took a year and a half for what was called the JCPOA, the Iranian Nuclear Agreement that was done during the Obama years, to be negotiated. They're nowhere near that kind of an agreement right now that I can say with full confidence.
Speaker 3: And the President did say that would be the second stage opening this straight would be the first phase.
Speaker 4: Right and because that first phase is probably more politically important to him to get that done, because that's the Pandora's box that was opened after the war started, the war started by Israel and the United States. That was not a problem before this war and is now for the world economy and certainly for the United States.
Speaker 6: Yeah, an important reminder, you know, as of February twenty seventh of this year, that the Strait was open. Yeah, so correct, it would be just going back to what it was before the war.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it's just you know, certainly the president wants that status quo to be returned, but the Iranians have shown really no willingness to go back to the status quo.
Speaker 2: Jeff.
Speaker 3: There's been a lot of polling that has been done as of late in the last week or so, and people, the Americans, when it comes to the war, they say thirty one percent theyreon war is not worth it or worth it. Excuse me. Thirty one percent say it's worth it. Sixty six percent say it's not worth it. This is the Quiniapiac poll. In terms of job approval, thirty two percent approve of the president's job, fifty eight percent disapprove of it. Polls or polls post be wrong. I don't know, as someone who covers the White House and the President inside and out, does he look at these things, Does he care about these things?
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure he does. And I think one reason or One example of how closely he's following it is he sent out some alternative polls today on his truth social account. So he wants people to think a that they're better than they are and b that he's not paying attention to these other public ones. He absolutely is. And I would say also as a longtime political reporter that speaking to people in all of these orbits, the democratics, the Republican side, regardless of who's in power in the White House, they keep a close eye on these polls because it translates into they've translated into votes, and if approval ratings are high, that would suggest that the midterms are going to go better for his party. The fact that his approval ratings are low is almost certainly going to hurt his party if it doesn't get a turnaround between now and November.
Speaker 6: I'm glad you brought up midterms because the President also made some comments about what he calls the Save America Act Yes, which is facing some challenges in Congress right now. If Congress doesn't vote on this before the midterms, is this bill dead?
Speaker 4: Probably, because I mean, they could start it up again next year, but a bill has to become has to be go through the legislative process within the two year legislative calendar, So that's going to reset in January. If they don't get it done now, and there's very little sign that it's going to get done now. They may or they are trying to bring in some of the aspects of the Same America Act into the budgetary process. But President Trump wants more and he just doesn't have the votes, certainly not from Democrats and also not from enough Republicans, and that's been a thorn in his side for weeks now.
Speaker 3: Maybe silly question, is he losing any of his power? Like it does feel like he still holds so much sway when it comes to what gets done or doesn't get done. Jeff, But I think about, you know, I don't know, is he losing some of, you know, his ability to really get certain things done.
Speaker 4: I don't think that's a silly question. I think that's something we're all watching. And some of the signs of that or some of the signs of whether maybe his power is eroding have come from the senators who are willing to stand up to him. Pretty important to note that those are senators who are on their way out and the President has emphasized that that they're lawmakers who he did not endorse, and therefore he thinks that they're upset with him for that and they're going to have to retire in January. But even so, they have Corn and Tillis, for example, have have pushed this this issue of the fund as a as a key negotiating tool over Todd Blanche and clearly also a thorn in the President's side because he said just now that he wasn't involved in whatever Todd Blanche agreed.
Speaker 3: How can I throw in pirol like her like backing off?
Speaker 6: It seems to he just said she made a mistake.
Speaker 3: She made a mistake, but she did it. No, And I feel like if you'd gone six seven months ago, I don't know if that would have happened.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, that's that's such a great minor, but it's just it's minor, but it's it's sort of like destroying part of the well all of the East Wing without giving permission and then talking about it later. It's it's a metaphor for how things are going for him right now. And it's certainly got to be fascinating in her office because there is a difference between saying something that's not true and pushing that story on truth social or in the oval office or wherever the president and some of his cabinet members are talking about the reflecting pool. There's an entirely different setting when you have to say it in.
Speaker 3: Court and you know the President's going to react.
Speaker 4: No doubt, and he has. But she couldn't prove it. And in fact, what she could show is that there were problems with the installation, and that's the opposite of what he wants to hear. But that certainly appears to be the honest truth.
Speaker 5: Jeff.
Speaker 6: One thing that is I think of interest to our audience is President's comments about oil companies.
Speaker 5: Just in the last few minutes.
Speaker 6: He said that oil firms better cut the retail price. He said that Exon and Chevron are making too much money. Both of those companies actually extended their declines after the President made those comments. X On Mobiles down about four tens of one percent, Chevron down about one point nine percent. Can you just explain sort of the tension between a traditional and I don't want to say you use the word traditional, but like the idea of a free market and the close relationship that historically many Republican presidents have had with oil companies. Sure, indeed, the close relationship that we've seen all those CEOs at the White House, especially.
Speaker 5: In the wake of what happened in Venezuela.
Speaker 6: But the President now making comments like this, and what the repercussions of that could be.
Speaker 4: Sure, So a couple of things. Number one, him saying that puts him in almost in democratic territory, because I could certainly imagine hearing a President Joe Biden or a President Barack Obama going out and criticizing oil companies over prices. So there's a populist aspect to that. I also think it's you know, it's instructive to remember that President Trump sees the world politically, business wise, diplomatically through a lens of his own making. That's related to him. And right now it's bad for him politically that gasoline prices are so high, so he would like to see those come down, surely to help Americans, but also to help his political prospects and the political prospects of his party. But it is certainly not in line, as many other things are not with traditional Republican orthodoxy in terms of business and the relationship with business.
Speaker 3: Again, as we like to say, it's a shame nothing's going on when it comes to you can go on. I just want to point out CNN reporting that the President is weighing removing Janine Piro over the reflecting pool. So this is just setting some sources on the present thinking about it. So there we go.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much, my pleasure.
Speaker 3: We were looking forward to this. So great to have you here. I gotcha, all right, talk to you too. Jeff Mason, Bloomberg News, White House and Washington Correspondent, joining us right here in studio.
Speaker 5: Stay with us.
Speaker 6: More from Bloomberg Business Week Daily coming up after this.
Speaker 2: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Weekdaily Podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern. Listen on Apple CarPlay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 3: Our next guest now with some research. Always a must read. It's always on the Bloomberg Everybody talking about it on Wall Street. We talk about it a lot in the newsroom. Torsten slock is with US, chief economist and partner to Apollo Global Management here in studio. Good to have you here with us, so many different places to start, and I do want to talk about the sixty to forty portfolio. President Trump we watched and what he's doing with policies. We talk about AI a lot. We're going to get into that. You know, the FED. Do you just look at it all or like first thing in the morning, what do you want? Do you want to check what's going on in Asia? Like is it everything that is a priority right now?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: No, absolutely, I mean the agenda is certainly first. Ve Ryan is very important. Ship's going to sail through the straight up AMusA, not to how much all that is going to get to live. But that continues to be a very important risk because if we do run dry in tanks, especially in Europe, then we may run out of marine fuel, of jet fuel, of fertilized of helium, and obviously this creates a jump risk in prices, especially for energy, and they're still.
Speaker 3: A risk even though that like back and forth, I know it's markets look through it.
Speaker 7: You're right, Carol, because this hasn't been an issue for a while because we've been so busy with the FIT and with AI. But in the background, this continues unfoltunately to still be very very important because the literally is the case that we could have some tanks catch to critical levels. Yes, there's still, of course fuel running in the pipes and the systems have to function, but we don't know what that level of critical level of inventory is. And the risk is when we don't have twenty percent of oil that's supposed to be delivered every day coming through the strait up a moose of Babel Mante. The consequence is that we still have this in the background as again jump risk and oil prices in particular and ultofi agricultural prices. So yes, this just adds to the other things about WASH's press conference and AI and all the other things we can talk about.
Speaker 6: But one more on one of oil and iron before we get there. It does seem like the oil market and we just heard from Jeff Mason who said, we have no idea what the talks are happening between the US and Iran right now, and this inflict oil prices there are down five percent of whether we're talking or brand or WTI. Is the oil market getting this right or is it getting it wrong?
Speaker 7: Well, this is quite remarkable that oil prices have been through this roller coaster of going up and down and seem to have a much stronger opinion about whether a deal is having or not, whereas people in raids and in the economics and in the region they have a much more nuanced view of Hey, if there is no sign of a deal, and if we have a deal, then there is a bigger risk that we could eventually run dry. So that's why the clock is truly ticking on oil inventories, and the more that ticks, the high is the risk. Remember there is now two months ago that the head of the EIA said that we were six weeks away.
Speaker 5: From Europe running out of jet fuel.
Speaker 7: Now we thankfully have not reached that point quite yet, but it's very clear that we literally have zero ships. If I look at my bloombergy screen e Ken Homos, zero ships coming through the strait up Homusa and Bubble Montep. At the moment, that is still a very significant risk in the background. It's difficult to quantify. Who knows if this is tomorrow, next week, or next month. But if the Iranians continue with this onto the midterm election, I feel very confident that then we will have the risk that we could see inventory and remember Nice Airport ran out of jet fuel three weeks ago, so this is also not just an academic exercise. This is something that's really truly happening, not only for jet fuel, also for marine fuel, other types of fuel, and of course also agricultural products such as fertilized on helium.
Speaker 3: Maybe this is why fed cheer Kevin Worsh was so general broad Macro and I want to play something for you because Double one Capito's Jeff Gunlock called out Michael McKee on X, noting that Mike's question out last week's FOMC press conference. He wrote, the greatest financial media moment year to date was Michael McKee teeing up and then delivering what are you waiting for? To fed cheer Worsh. Listen up, everybody. Here's what Mike had to say at the FOMC press conference last week.
Speaker 8: What vetting did you do of the people that you appointed to the task forces? In particular, given Mark Andresen's substantial political spending twenty five million dollars in just the past year to back candidates who oppose stricter IAI regulation, how can the public be confident that a committee he co chairs will provide an independent assessment of AI's economic effects rather than one aligned with the interests of the AI industry.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so I selected fifteen incredible subject market subject matter experts to tackle five of the most important questions that if we get the answers right, we're going to do a far better job in delivering. And if we get the answers wrong, we have a problem. The comfort that I can give you and your listeners is all right.
Speaker 3: We're going to get out of that. That was actually not the SoundBite we wanted to play, but that was Kevin Warsh with Michael McKee. But Mike was basically saying what are you waiting for? And Torsten, you obviously watched it. He just was so general, Macro, What did you take away from Kevin Walsh last week?
Speaker 7: Well, I think the market reaction speaks to Mike's question naming what are we waiting for? Why didn't you just hig rates the fact that they didn't do that. Yeah, and the market reaction with a very very steep curve. Of course you should have high rates at least. Now we're beginning to ask questions in markets about well, do you have the commitment to raise rates. Do you really think inflation will be two percent? And if you think so, what is the road to getting to two percent? Are you going to use the balance sheet? Are you going to use the fit funds rate? Are you going to use tiger financial conditions? He should be able to answer, shouldn't He did talk about tighter financial conditions, which may have added a bit to the confusion, because it becomes really really important for the yeal curve whether you pick to do this through a stronger balance sheet meaning lower balance sheet, whether you do this through higher rates, or whether you do this through tide of financial conditions, Because if you trade rates, you of course will have a strong view on how is it that the fate is going to achieve the two percent goal? And you could say in theory that we want to do this through a smaller balance sheet, but we didn't even get an answer to that. So that's why people are not beginning to wonder, Okay, there's more volatility in markets. We have a steeper curve, more questions being asked. So therefore, if they don't hike in September, of course, then the market will just ask given more questions about what what is now?
Speaker 5: The plan. Can you do it through a fewer meetings a year?
Speaker 7: Well, that's one way of doing it, but that doesn't change the facts that the.
Speaker 5: Market frame is.
Speaker 6: The New York Times reporting on Friday night that I saw that that the FED could have fewer meetings.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, And I think that that, of course would change the game quite significantly if they were to go to the legally manded only four meetings a year. But it's very clear still that even that debate, the market will still try to price the FED at every single moment in time.
Speaker 5: And that basically means that.
Speaker 7: We have a situation where the market constantly needs to think about how might the FIT interpret the incoming data? Right?
Speaker 5: Got, Well, I guess what it does?
Speaker 6: It mean that we hear more from the FED speakers and their sort of job owning between meetings. I'm just trying to understand a world we live in with less communication. If you want the market to serve as sort of the benchmark for the.
Speaker 5: FED, I don't know.
Speaker 7: I think the toothpaste will come out one way or the other other. IFMC members will begin to have speeches where they say is what I think, and normally some of these I FMC members. They don't get a lot of weight as such from financial markets, but today they are given a lot of weight because if the chair I decided to say I'm not giving not even forward guidance but also not framework guidance, then of course others who are willing to talk about not even framework guidance and forward guidance, but just give a description of the data and talk about how do they think the data could be evolving? I think that is going to get a lot more weight. Which is why when Beth Hammer puts something on LinkedIn on a Sunday afternoon, this suddenly gets people sent this to me all Sunday evening and say what do you think? How should we think about this? And this suddenly becomes really really important because the market is constantly trying to figure out what is the trajectory of where rates are going?
Speaker 3: Right exactly, I want to get to the sixty forty portfolio that we've talked about forever right being broken? Why so? And you have an AI aspect.
Speaker 7: To this, Yeah, So the really important aspect of this discussion is the following. The sixty to forty portfolio was really truly a stroke of genius when he was invented because remember, if my stocks go up normally my bunt prices go down.
Speaker 5: That means insist rates go.
Speaker 7: Down, and that means I make money on stocks and I may lose something on my bonds vice versa. And when the stock market goes down, then punt prices go up. In other yelds go down, and that means of course that I make money either on bunds or made money and equities somewhat somewhat randomly, then pick sixty forty. This was the weights, and it made sense in an environment where the business cycle goes up and down, sometimes I should have in stocks. Sometimes we're having a rate. So if that's the case, this was a very good way to balance your portfolio. The problem today is the following, namely, today's stocks i've really is driven by AI, is not driven so much by the business cycle, and it's highly concentrated, with the ten biggest stocks making up forty percent of the basket. So that means that the AI story has become absolutely critical as a driver of the stock market, and the fiscal situation has become a very important driver of the BoNT market because now we have significant fiscal problems we have the fact that rates have been going up, the term premium has been going up, and therefore that's also not necessarily a function of what the business cycle is doing. So suddenly have two new factors that have been a key driver of equity named the AI and a key driver of bond markets, namely fiscal which are not a function of whether the economy goes up and down. And therefore we may no longer have the property that you make money on one side and lose on the other, but you may actually lose on both.
Speaker 3: We've often said, and we've said that when you see the markets like both stocks and bonds going up in tandem, which is just unusual, right to see that in any given trade. Having said that, big tech Torsten has been disproportionately moving the market even before we start talking a lot about AI. Is there something different as AI though that trade on steroids and even further disconnecting us from the business side.
Speaker 7: Yeah, let's think about that exactly at this moment in the sixty forty context, because AI, of course is highly concentrated in equity, so AI better work out otherwise equities will not go up. So if at the same time, AI companies are issuing a lot of debt that takes money out of treasury markets into buy a hyperscale at debt. So in that sense, even the bond side of my portfolio is also being impacted. And by the way, is also now AI. So certainly I had AI everyone in equities. I also have AI in investment, great credit, and by the way, venture capitalist eighty seven percent is also AI. So now my whole pie shot is actually all AI. So certainly there's one facts of driving everything I'm doing. And if there's one thing we'll learn in finance is facts on investing, and one factor is driving all returns at the moment. Name the AI is inequities, AI is in everyone in public credit, and AI is also in ventor capsule. So the best recommendation today is to be not in AI, because that gets you away from this one factor that is driving markets at the moment.
Speaker 3: You did say in your note, if the real risk emerges that the AI trade reverses or markets become more worried about government deficits in either snario, both stocks and bonds with face pressure simultaneously leaving investors with no hedge, which is what you basically said what happened with situational awareness the hedge fund? Is that a sign to you of the AI trade reversing? Like, what's your read on that? And I have no idea if Apollo is interested in the assets, share what you'd like? Yeah, but is that the beginning of a little canary in the colma.
Speaker 7: Well, what was of course very unusual about this is that it didn't take much decline in the AI trade and.
Speaker 5: Cuttainly that was a blow up.
Speaker 7: It was a bit of a coincidence that this was the specific fund you mentioned, But it's very clear that the AI trade there's a lot of level ETFs at the moment, there's a lot of people that are having levered bets on AI can only go one way.
Speaker 5: Name you up.
Speaker 7: And we're now finding out where the underperformings of growth for the last four months is very very substantial. Value has been outperforming. That's exactly telling you that in a sixty to forty framework, growth is just becoming more risky, simply because the AI story is beginning to also become more vulnerable, especially with this debate about open source models relatives the closed source models. If the Chinese models come and dominate, that will then, of course take market share from the closed source models, and the question is how big is that eating into the market share going to be?
Speaker 3: The narrative has changed a lot from where we were three years ago. Tourist and Slot, thank you so much and thanks for hanging around. We really wanted to talk with you. His chief economist at Apollo Global Management joining us here in studio.
Speaker 2: If you were listening to the Bloomberg Business Weekdaily podcast, catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern Listen on Apple CarPlay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 3: Let's get to the hospitality sector because Marriott International shares we've seen them under some pressure after the company said that room growth for twenty twenty six would likely come in at the lower end of earlier because driven by construction delays in the Middle East. Middle East.
Speaker 5: I mean, we'll talk about implications of this war and Iran.
Speaker 3: It keeps coming and making its way, right, all right. So we've got that stock down about six point four percent. Hyatt was out though last Thursday.
Speaker 6: Yeah, stock traded down. The company cut its net income guidance for the full year. The guidance missed. The average analyst estimates the S and P Composite Hotels, Resorts and Cruise Lines index. That's up about three percent here todate, so underperforming the broader sector.
Speaker 3: All right, so let's get to it. Let's talk about the group. Lizzie dev Is with US US Gaming, Lodging and Leisure research analyst over at gold mind SAX, joining us here in studio. Welcome, Welcome. We love this area. It tells you, yes, about the consumer, but it also tells you about business travel and so on and so forth. Walk us through, first of all the earnings that we've gotten and what it's telling us so far.
Speaker 10: Well, what's really interesting is as a by vacation, we are in one of actually the best travel environments for the US that we've seen in a long time. US RevPAR is up five percent now the prominent per room revenue per room that's basically they're the key matri pricing and occupancy. Now, what's the problem or the offset to that is two things. One unit growth is coming in a little bit lighter, so that's new hotel rooms. And two, as you said, the Middle East is an offset there. The pressure there has been higher than expected, and that's impacting not just overall pricing in that area, but also rooms growth of construction.
Speaker 6: Does it become does that become at a certain point if this conflict goes on for so long, Like I don't want to say permanent, because nothing is permanent, but something that like uh is the next thing to permanent. Like companies are saying, Okay, we're actually abandoning construction projects there.
Speaker 11: We're not there yet. I think we're a long way off from that.
Speaker 10: And the one thing that I think is good and maybe misunderstood by the market is take Marriott for example, the Middle East is only about seven percent of their pipeline, and that's all of the Middle East, and there's a bifurcation in the mid You see trends in Dubai that have been down fifty percent sixty percent on pricing, but areas like Saudi Arabia that are seeing thirty percent positive pricing. So there's a bification even in that Middle East. So even if we do see some structural erosion there, there's enough power within it and there's a small enough segment for the hotel's companies.
Speaker 3: That's a bigger share than I would have thought, really that's but I guess so is that where the growth is too.
Speaker 11: It is where a lot of the growth is.
Speaker 10: I think what the point is that we are now kind of in phase two of lodging growth. We've had a lot of growth in the US. There's still more to go in the US. But the real next big growth opportunity it's Asia, It's Middle East, it's Europe, it's last it's ex US.
Speaker 11: For the most part, there's a.
Speaker 3: Story on the Bloomberg Lizzie. The post pandemic travel boom is starting to lose stream as high fuel prices, the war in Iran, and persistent flying headaches deterred travelers from booking international trips for this year's peak summer season. Now everybody in the last two years was going to Italy or I feel like Japan. Are you seeing this.
Speaker 10: Also a little bit? A little bit, but it's at the margin. I think the bigger kind of question or debate that investors are having is it's almost the travel environment for the US and Europe, to be fair. So far has been so good. The World Cup, for example, that added about one hundred bases points to pricing just to.
Speaker 11: U US alone, and it's.
Speaker 10: What's so good today makes for a tough comp for tomorrow, and so investors are pre trading that deceleration now that some of these idiosyncratic tailwinds and now starting to fade, and some of the concerns that you mentioned as well come into the picture.
Speaker 6: There were concerns in the last jobs report that we got about hospitality because there was an idea that the World Cup would actually bring workers into those jobs. Do we see on Friday that that actually came true?
Speaker 10: You know, yes and no, Yes and no. And I think what we're seeing in these reports, and not just from the Jobs report but also just generally across kind of consumer dashboards is again there's this bifurcation where you have this K shaped economy where the hiring keeps doing better.
Speaker 11: That hasn't gone away. I think people thought it would.
Speaker 10: Broaden out more this year to you know, the third and fourth quarter house.
Speaker 11: We haven't seen it.
Speaker 10: And that's why you do see people like Mario on the pricing side doing a little bit better than is. You know, some of the windows and choices of the world.
Speaker 3: What are we seeing business versus kind of we yeah, regular people, they.
Speaker 6: Probably I think we travel more for business regular people.
Speaker 3: Actually, that's a really good point.
Speaker 11: Yeah, well that's a blend.
Speaker 10: You know that the two have become very intermingled, as you mentioned, but both grown.
Speaker 3: There's no family coming along. They're pretty quick trip sometimes.
Speaker 11: Yeah, both are growing.
Speaker 10: Both are growing, and that's actually something that's interesting is but the first time we really have seen quite a nice, low single digit plus kind of growth in business.
Speaker 11: Travel this year.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so that's broadened out hotel demand a little bit more into that midweek, but leisure has really been the biggest leading indicator.
Speaker 6: You also cover the cruise lines, uh, Charlie Pellette, big cruise guy. Yeah, but those companies getting hit with higher fuel prices too, of course. What it's a good measure of the consumer and a certain type of consumer depending on which cruise line we're talking about broadly, How is that industry doing?
Speaker 11: You know, it's interesting.
Speaker 10: It's been a top twenty twenty six for sure.
Speaker 11: I think first time.
Speaker 3: I'm so surprised because you go back to last year and I feel like, yeah, everybody off.
Speaker 5: The charts, they're booking for summer already.
Speaker 3: Visibility booking's way out. What happened?
Speaker 10: Yeah, what happened? A couple of things. So firstly, fuel to your point, there's not much that they can do to offset that. They haven't done surcharges like the airlines have, so that's just the cost that they have to absorb. Secondly, there is a perceived safety impact for US travelers going.
Speaker 11: To Europe on a cruise.
Speaker 10: They just don't want to be on the water in the Mediterranean, even though it is far from the Middle East. So that's what we've seen here. But it's kind of the opposite of lodging, where you have kind of trough trends or weakening trends this year that now people are thinking could make for really great twenty twenty seven for cruise. We don't have a crystal ball on the Middle East conflict, but to the extent that we see some kind of resolution their long term, it could set up for really really.
Speaker 11: Strong recovery on cruise. And that's my view.
Speaker 3: People who like to cruise, they'll like to cruise and they go back absolutely, second, third, fourth time, Bring the family, bring the grandparents like they just do it. This was fine, come back, yeah, please, we would love it. She's US Gaming, Lodging and Leisure research analyst over at gold Minsec.
Speaker 5: Stay with us.
Speaker 6: More from Bloomberg Business Week Daily coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week Daily Podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five eas during Listen on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 6: All right, A five hundred and six million dollars bet on thousands of New York rent stabilized departments has already soured for bond investors. Mayor Mom Donnie's rent freeze threatens to make it even worse. The commercial property bond it's backed by the mortgage on fifty three buildings across Queens, Brooklyn, Manhattan, and the Bronx has piled up more than five point five million dollars in past due interest after payments to its riskiest tranches fell short. Analyst at KBRA Credit Profile valued the properties that around four and sixty million, compared with an appraisal about seven hundred and seventeen million when the bonds were sold five years ago, implying losses of more than eighty million dollars for bond holders.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that'll certainly get catch our attention. It did back with us to talk about this and more. Is ron Us Off. He is founder and managing director of north Wyn Group. It's an institutional real estate credit platform in Manhattan. Has transacted over ten billion dollars of real estate transactions, covering a portfolio of over four hundred properties. So he's seen a bunch of deals. He's back here in our Bloomberg Interactive Broker studio.
Speaker 12: How are you great? Thanks Carol, Thanks Tam, great having me You too, you too?
Speaker 6: You know, we had this great conversation with you. I couldn't remember if it was right after Mayor mom Donnie won the primary and it was clear that he was going to be a winner. It was after he won the election last year. But we always like to check in with you, not just about New York City, but how things look from your perch around the country. I want to start with New York because because here we are, let's go ahead and call it seven months into the mom Donnie administration. We can almost say eight months at this point. How is it going from commercial commercial real estate perspective?
Speaker 12: So I think it's it's a confusing situation. On the one hand, he's executed some things he said he's going to do. When we raised our latest fund, we actually mapped everything Mam Donny said he will do. Number one on the list was rent freeze. We put it as an extremely high probability, and it happened. It's not new in New York City. It happened under the Blossom administration. I don't think it was a surprise to anyone that rent freeze actually happened. And obviously there's now the consequences and some portfolios are being hit with, you know, not being able to meet the ability to pay debt or even to cover the costs of running the properties.
Speaker 3: What's the implications of that more broadly in the market about doing deals wanting to be in the city.
Speaker 12: The rent freeze, I don't think it has much implication on the broader New York City real estate market. It was known, it was predicted, and it happened. When you look at New York City right now, it still has a huge shortage of new housing supply, it's growing in demand, and there it's also a market that's flushed with liquidity.
Speaker 5: Right now, it is flushed with liquidity.
Speaker 12: Yes, there's a lot of capital flowing into New York City, both on the equity and on the credit site.
Speaker 6: But okay, so here's I have an anecdote, and I have no idea if this is if this is widespread. But there's a brand new home near us in Brooklyn and it's sat vacant for months. It's sold, the people are supposed to move into it are in an airbnb because they sold their previous place, and it's because they don't have a final COO from the city at this point. And it seems to me like, how can Yeah, this is displacing somebody who would use this long term airbnb, which I don't even know if those are legal.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 6: Over over thirty days, okay, definitely over thirty days, okay, And it's just sitting there empty and it's like taking supply. Have you learned anything about the permitting process or the approvals process in the last few months that's changed from other administrations? Like is it typical for a home that's finished to sit vacant for this long? I don't know how the approval process goes. I'm not a real estate developer, but has something changed in this administration or is that typical?
Speaker 12: Well, he appointed pretty I think competent people, various positions in dub and I think dB take the Lettus occurrence in the Fires building where the lender on the on the ground underneath. dB has been all over it. Obviously. They just today released the stop recorder on one of the buildings on two nineteen, which is great news. I think they've been pretty efficient. There's limitations on staff that that's the reality. They should probably staff more on different levels, but they've been pretty efficient with the amount of volume they're dealing with.
Speaker 5: And know you're not seeing any difference between administration.
Speaker 12: No, not too better, not the worse, but pretty competent. Pretty competent people have been nominated to various positions, So that's that's that's As an investor, that was a good thing.
Speaker 3: So I'm curious about kind of the environment. My husband I were kicking around this great story this morning about the Flat Iron Building entering a new era with fifty eight point five million dollar apartments. So we were just wondering, which which.
Speaker 12: One are you selected one?
Speaker 3: Yet we're looking at it. We're trying.
Speaker 12: I heard the Penthalles that's still available.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that one. There's one I think on the third floor for about ten millions. So I mean the bifurcation. I feel like of these very expensive properties and people come in and people are buying, and so on and so forth. You know, we go back to that old problem of making sure there is affordable housing for the people who are living and working in this great city of something like New York City. So you know, as you are in and out of this, I mean, again, what's the problem here. Why can't we make this work?
Speaker 12: It's a problem every major city in the world is dealing with. From London, Paris, New York is no different. You need to create supply. Politicians are focusing on limiting demand, like for example, piety attacks, right, yeah, it's a holy shit that's happening right now. That's curtailing the demand, making people not to buy as much. But really, to deal with pricing, you need to fix supply. You need to build more. You need to release restrictions and allow to build more units. If you build enough units, prices will eventually go down. Happening in your city, very.
Speaker 3: Tough, multimillion dollar more units.
Speaker 12: Well, you don't have to build it on Central Park, right, you need to go to Queen's Pronx in Long Island City. In terms of construction, is happening. It's cheaper than Manhattan, It's not completely affordable.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. Like, you know, there's a broad swath of folks who you know, live in work around New York City.
Speaker 12: So I'm going to say something very not popular, I think, at least to politicians. If you the city really needs to build half a million units, if you really want to meet the demand to do that, you need to give incentives, not the other way around. You need to give tax incentives. You need to think of subsidies that will make the projects profitable for the private sector to build.
Speaker 3: It's money. It's a money story. In other words, you look at the balance get and if this isn't going to add up for a developer, they're not going to build it.
Speaker 12: And by the way, you know what's going to happen now, they enacted the Piea tear attacks, So there's going to be actually maybe slightly less transactions on that higher section. There's going to be eventually less proper tax collected by the city. So I'm not sure what they're going to gain from the piatare tax will actually make up what they're going to lose eventually in property tax.
Speaker 6: What would be what's the right way to do this quickly? Because New York City is a different animal. You said, this is a problem throughout the country and.
Speaker 12: Throughout the world. Every major urban center is dealing with affordability issues.
Speaker 6: So how do you do that in a way where things don't get miired and environmental review and it takes forever to actually like build something big because there are people in the neighborhood who don't want it done.
Speaker 12: I wish there was an easy answer. There's a lot of smart people that understand the problem. It's hard to solve it because you have all these battlenecks of approval processes. Right, you can't just build half million units and you have to take all these under.
Speaker 5: Consideration in parts of taxes.
Speaker 12: Yeah, but you know, people that want to live in a major urban market like New York, you need to do those processes. You need to create some sort of fast track solutions.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 12: You need to say, okay, we need to cut down the approval process to a year, right, and you need to create the right subsidies and taxing centerves, property tax abatements so people will build it on condition that you will build also affordable twenty five to thirty five. The four twenty one A program was good, It actually succeeded it.
Speaker 3: Can you help me understand tax abatements? I live in an area where there has been so much building and lots of tax abatements, and I understand when a city is changing. But there's a point where, okay, people want to live there the market has changed. Why why will people not build without tax abatements?
Speaker 12: If you take the price of land and the price it takes to build and time, which creates additional costs, it's not making economical sense to build if you don't have some and biggest expense after you build something and rented there is property tax.
Speaker 3: So are you telling me all developers are only in the business because they get tax abatements.
Speaker 12: No, But for multifamily at the price of the reason people have built, the reason people in Manhattan mostly built brand new condos because those made sense economically. You buy the land at the high price, you cellventually at a premium, and you make a distant return to build that on the same land. Multifamily doesn't make sense for most projects without a tax abatement program. That's the reason.
Speaker 6: Is there is there a way to do this at scale for smaller developers, Because smaller developers who maybe go around parts of Brooklyn or Queens and say, okay, well we can I can take this home. I can I can essentially rebuild it using the same foundation, sell it for more, get another, get a you know, and sell.
Speaker 5: It very quickly. But they don't necessarily have the scale of building.
Speaker 12: There's ability to do it on smaller scale. And the city is doing it with all the various programs for affordable housing.
Speaker 5: Right is it working?
Speaker 12: It's working, but most of it, if you look at the budget, they're maxed out. They can there's no more room in the budget to do more. That's why these public private partnerships in the form of what used to be four twenty one a program works because then the city is saying you, you're a private developer, I understand you need to make money, we want to solve the housing issue. We want to create affordable unit. Will give you a tax abatement, build more, and it's a win win sort of. Those tend to work on a larger scale.
Speaker 3: So what's going on on the credit side in terms of what kind of deals are being done. What are you seeing what's opportunistic for you guys, and how is the rate environment kind of changing any of it.
Speaker 12: So currently we have the most loans on the term sheet we had in a single month. We currently have almost one point five billion in signed term sheets. It's I think it's indicative of the market. The market, as I said, is very active right now. There's certainty to your question on interest rates, so that gives clarity to what project valuation and pricing are high or lower or there's kind of flat ish. There's no big expectation to a huge drop or a huge increase, which is good because what investors are looking for is kind of continuity exactly and predictability. We're seeing a lot of transactions happen. I would say people that bought five to seven years ago and hope for a better market what used to be called pretend and extend or survive till now it's not twenty five anymore, are kind of facing reality. So we're seeing buildings trade at the lower pricing, new barers stepping in. We typically finance new acquisition, bridge loans, construction financing, office to RESI conversions.
Speaker 3: Is that still happening. I'm still I was thinking about.
Speaker 12: That it's still but I think we're kind of the big part is behind us. It's in the rear view seen the bulk and mount has happened the last two years. Now it's kind of the remaining buildings that didn't trade that are happening now. There's about sixteen thousand units that are going to be delivered in New York City as part of office to RESI conversions. That's a big number, but I don't think we're going to see sixteen thousand more in the pipeline. We're probably going to see five thousand, six thousand.
Speaker 5: More and then no more.
Speaker 12: Probably because office is back relatively you're seeing the buildings leads up again. So then it doesn't really make sense to go to the conversion, right you need the mostly vacant building to do a conversion.
Speaker 3: You did say you're on the land under the Ffiser building, right, I do, yes, So was what happened there, Fortunately for a future. Unfortunately it's a construction version.
Speaker 12: An accident that should not have occurred but did happen. Thank God, nobody was hurt. The building is structurally sound. I think the headlines in the news were way blown out of proportion. I think the developer is highly skilled. Again, where the lender just colapse? No, nothing collapsed. There was two only two columns that kind of buckled and the building sagged about four inches.
Speaker 3: Do you want to live in a building where.
Speaker 12: Well, they're they're going to fix everything.
Speaker 3: Okay, So just it was an error or in your like, it's.
Speaker 12: A constructions construction error. They basically two struck two columns that were supposed to be reinforced I think have not been reinforced.
Speaker 3: So you'll see more. We'll continue to see more more.
Speaker 12: It's going to happen. This, this happens is in construction again, it shouldn't, but it happens. I think because of the size of the building. It got so much attention.
Speaker 3: Okay, good stuff. Sorry, I just had to go back there.
Speaker 5: I'm glady dead. Ron. We love it when you joined us a stranger.
Speaker 12: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 6: We can talk about this stuff forever. Ron Elliot's office and managing partner of north Wind Group. He joined us here in the Bloomberg Interactive Brokers studio.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Business Weekdaily podcast, available on Apple, Spotify and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern on Bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app tune In, and the Bloomberg Business app. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal