Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers Report, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 1: Let's take a look at some stocks on the move today in Europe. I'm Stephen Carroll with Caroline Hepker, and we're joined by Bloomberg reporter Chloe Melee. Chloe, good morning. Let's start with Astrazeneka. That a big job in the shares of the pharmaceustical giant.
Speaker 3: What's going on, Yes, this is the back of some potential big m and a so Astra Zeneca is said to have explored a merger with Bristol Meyers squib and. So this would create one of the world's largest drug makers. It would be a really, really massive deal and also provide Astro with a major foothold in the US market. But it seems that investors are quite skeptical about the deal, given that something of this magnitude attends to be quite difficult to pull off, and which is why we are seeing the shares take quite the hit. This morning. We had Bloomberg Intelligence saying that the deal would make limited strategic sense for Astra and would likely be the subject to antitrust scrutiny as well. Jeffries, analyst said they were perplexed by the news, and then City analysts say that this comes as a surprise. So overall we can see there's a lot of questions around this from both investors and analysts, and so far Astra has a decline to comment on this, So we'll see if this kind of just goes away or if they confirm it, and if they do, if they try and justify that to investors and how they try and justify it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, so that's on that well possible deal but not well received. Now this is really fascinating the energy gar and BP, you know, perhaps moving on from its home market. That is a big, big bit of news for the UK.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, So there's a few things going on with VP. Of course, as you mentioned, this kind of ongoing simplification of its portfolio. Part of that this decision to put its UK norm see business up for sale, which has political and financial consequences. Of course, there's a lot going on outside of that. From a sector wide perspective. We've seen oil taking a bit of a hit this morning because the US and around are set to restart talks to reopen the Strait of Hormos, and as usual, this kind of optimism around a peace steal in the region means that oil prices go down and therefore oil majors are falling as well. And BP is also going to be very interesting to watch tomorrow because they actually report earnings tomorrow morning. They've already flagged that the second quarter results were going to be very strong because they benefited from a full three months of disrupted oil flows, and so far this third quarter it's been also very volatile. We've seen a lot of ups and downs. So we'll watch out for the results, the second quarter results and whatever they say about the outlook as well, and this ongoing portfolio changes as well.
Speaker 1: So that's on BP. We've also seen a boast for the tech silicon away from manufacturers Siltronic.
Speaker 3: Yes, Celtronic got upgraded to a by rating at UBS and so this is yet another upgrade after back to back upgrades just last week. So now the company has a total of nine by ratings, three holes, and just one sell on the stock. So it's one of those kind of smaller AI beneficiaries and analysts are very optimistic on the near term and the medium term demand as well for that company. There is still a little bit of caution around the pace of recovery, given that Ciltronic is not only exposed to this AI trade but also to the smartphone and PC and markets, and those are a little bit weaker. They're taking a little bit longer to recover because of those very high memoryship prices, the shortages that we've seen that as well. But overall, Celtronic is looking pretty solid, as we can see with those nine buys, and this latest upgrade this morning has really been driving that stock.
Speaker 2: The Stockmovers Report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.