Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: Wow, welcome back to.
Speaker 3: The Daily Show. It was tax day this week.
Speaker 4: But some people, and this is crazy, don't like paying taxes, and one of them is our own Josh Johnson.
Speaker 2: It's long been known that in America the rich often don't pay their fair share of taxes by exploiting a complex tax system filled with loopholes. The riches one percent pay a lot less than the average taxpayer. But how they do it? And could I learn their tricks to help out the everyday taxpayer like you?
Speaker 3: And I?
Speaker 1: I spoke to.
Speaker 2: Tax expert Robert Wood of tax Froom would Lop to find out the easiest ways to dodge the irs. His first hip.
Speaker 5: Real estate, big tax shelter. So generally speaking, you write off a piece of the building every year.
Speaker 2: So this year I'll claim the bathroom, and then like the next year.
Speaker 5: But just to clarify, you only get to do this if you own the building, not do you work here.
Speaker 2: That is all very interesting, but I do not learn a building, and so back to square one.
Speaker 5: Charity is another one.
Speaker 2: So let's say I start a charity and my charity will be real, very real. Okay, my charity of broke ass audits, like you get an audited let's break off your broke ass a little cash.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 5: There are lots of people who've gotten in trouble with fake charities.
Speaker 2: So that won't work.
Speaker 5: Churches are qualified charities, which is why some people have tried to start their own churches.
Speaker 2: So if I start my own church, I mean, how many followers are we taking.
Speaker 5: I don't think they call them followers, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's right, that's like a cult thing.
Speaker 5: Another thing that wealthy people do. You've got art, how much is it worth? Donate it to charity? And if you donate it, how much can you fairly write off?
Speaker 2: I have some art work I want to show you and don't hold back.
Speaker 5: Okay, no offense, but I mean it looks kind of infantile. My guess is it's not worth very much. You need to talk to somebody who's a qualified art appraiser.
Speaker 2: I was really banking on the art thing working out.
Speaker 5: You're just not there yet, Josh.
Speaker 2: This was not looking good for my tax return, but there had to be something.
Speaker 5: One of my great tax planning secrets for you today is dying if you own stock or if you owned a house at some point, hang on to it. It's the doing something with it selling that triggers tax. Then when you die, it's never taxed. So dying turns out to be tax efficient. That's something that wealthy people count on.
Speaker 2: That's deferring, right, Yeah, couldn't I just defer till I die?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, so kill myself. It's great, great advice.
Speaker 5: I want you to die generations from now.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 5: It's a better tax deal. Anyways.
Speaker 2: Well, OK, I do have a quick question for you. Then, Since the rich are deferring on all these assets and higher tax lawyers to make sure that it stays complicated and they're less likely to get audited. Ye, who is paying tax?
Speaker 5: Regular wage journers? I mean, everybody pays tax if they've got income, and the wealthy people are paying tax too. But if you look at their income versus how much tax they're paying, they're typically paying a lot lower rates.
Speaker 2: So if we all learn the tax law and we all start doing these things, how will like roads get built?
Speaker 5: Good question. Somebody at the lower end has to be paying the regular taxes to make room for the government to do those things.
Speaker 2: Just don't be poor, ok Yeah? That's terrifying.
Speaker 5: The more you know about tax the more terrifying it can be. So why I don't sleep very much.
Speaker 2: So whether I have become rich or just died, at least I know how to avoid my taxes like a millionaire. I'm man, I do actually need your help picking this up. This is like all the money that I have. Yeah, I don't really, I'm not taking a no. No, I didn't think you were going to take it. New Yorkers disagree on a lot of things. Yankees sources, mets, pizza toppings, whether you can poop on the subway or not. But now there's one thing ripping New Yorker's apart more than ever.
Speaker 6: Congestion pricing is official.
Speaker 4: Drivers are now paying to drive us south of sixtieth Street.
Speaker 2: I had to pay the congestion pricing. How do you feel about it? Not too happy cars or congestion pricing cars, both the cars. I don't like the idea of all of those New Jersey people being taxed so hearly do you think that maybe it should go the other way? Maybe New York sh you have to pay nine dollars to get into Jersey.
Speaker 7: Absolutely not. El Poopy wants to go to Jersey unless they have to.
Speaker 2: Because yeah, because cars are very important because as a New Yorker, how old are you going to get where you need to be besides the subway or the or the bus or a bike or like a petticab or the horse drawn carriage. Scooters, segues, moler blades are in again, solo wheels, piggyback rides, you know from nice walking, walking with a purpose. Yeah, yeah, we need more options.
Speaker 8: Well, they need the money for the MTA. It's supposedly raised fifty million dollars a year, so you know, I definitely feel okay to the city doing this.
Speaker 2: What type of improvements would be made to the MTA.
Speaker 9: Regular service that's completely reliable.
Speaker 8: Teleportation?
Speaker 2: Teleportation is actually way more likely than the regular service.
Speaker 4: The first thing I would love to fix is that we have lights everywhere. I don't have to be afraid to walk into dark tunnel when I get out the work at night.
Speaker 10: Okay.
Speaker 4: I would also like to have them have some people maybe help the people that I see walking around naked.
Speaker 2: I'm very sorry about that. That was that was me and that was a hot day. I mean, maybe they could use some of the money put like some glade plugins in the subway cars. That'd be a huge improvement right there.
Speaker 8: I'm guessing because of the crime rate in the subway it is probably not the number one priorities, I guess.
Speaker 2: But if I'm being mugged on the subway and it also stinks, that's two bad things happen in me at the same time. I want to get robs somewhere clean.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think hygiene is important.
Speaker 2: One of my biggest hopes is that with less cars, with less congestion, right, it'll make Airic Adams trying to go away from the Figs a much cooler chase. You got that, He'll be born supremacy level chase. So I mean, less cars means less noise. Who would have thought with less noise, I can finally hear jackhammers, I can hear sirens. I can You're like hues and screams and stuff. That's that's you know, that's showing love in New York.
Speaker 8: So you know I walk out this camera's love?
Speaker 2: Yeah A good good you let you know? Now are you in New York? But you're really alive?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Before we part ways, you do.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Taylor Swifts endorsement of Kamala Harris was a boom for her campaign with women, but a lot of people say she still needs to do bear with men. So I'm here outside one of the bastions of masculinity, a gym to talk to real men about which celebrity endorsement would move the needle for them. Hopefully I don't get mistaken for Terry Crews. What celebrity endorsement carries the weight for you that like a Taylor Swift would carry for women? Do you have to be alive or alive with help? Alive is probably one of the most import things that they could be, cause the first thing I said was Prince. The Prince came back from the dead and was like, my man, you gotta vote for Kamla. Would that move the needle for you? Absolutely? Okayron Owan, why because you just saw a ghosts? What about some non paranormal endorsements. Is there a male celebrity that would make you vote for Kamala Harris, Kendrick Lamar, Maybe Lebron He's a big guy.
Speaker 9: I feel like Lebron can move the needle a little bit.
Speaker 2: Okay, probably Travis Scott. Travis Scott, those selects were so twenty twenty four. How about some throwbacks. I would say, Payam Manning, Peyton Manning, Dooner Standings, Deon Sanders, and.
Speaker 7: Celine Dion.
Speaker 2: That's my girl, you know what I mean? Celene Dion Yes, So everyone that you've mentioned, yes, and Celine Dion yes. And it doesn't matter to you that she's Canadian. Oh, it doesn't matter. So what male celebrity endorsement would move the needle for you? I leave Michael j'all waite, Michael Jai White, Okay, all right? And why is that he works out? I work out?
Speaker 3: You know, You'll have to sit down and like really think.
Speaker 2: For myself, look at the issues, look at the candidates, and then maybe of Michael Ji White.
Speaker 3: Maybe we gotta sit down together and chit chat.
Speaker 2: Yeah all right, I feel like you just try to meet Michael Jai White. Sure, he's tough, he's talented, he got killed by the joker, I get it. But maybe I could prove to these swow voters that they could look to me for political guidance. There you go.
Speaker 5: Men.
Speaker 2: So when it comes to bench press, right now, I'm hitting like a clean one. Okay, that's pretty good.
Speaker 9: Right, fantastic really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh okay, I was that's that's good news for me. Are there any male celebrities right and we don't and we don't have to talk about a list. They could be in front of you right now in this moment. Whose opinion means something to you? By a long pause, clearly he was intimidated by meeting such a famous and yolke celebrity IRL, So I decided to change the subject to the candidates. What do you think tam Oh Harris would have to do to appeal to more men if she agreed to a boxing match with Logan Paul? What do you think that would do? If that moved the needle for her? I think if she knocks him mountain, no doubt. Wow, Okay, knock him out gold, drag him out the ring, all right? President, Round after round. He kept me back to the same question about masculinity, like, is Trump like a man's man to you? No, he's not not, really.
Speaker 9: He's not an honest person, gotcha. And that's a big part of being a man to me is being vulnerable, admitting your mistakes.
Speaker 2: So if I'm vulnerable with you right now, that's that's manly. Yeah, Okay, I may have fived earlier with the one twenty five, it's really one fifteen.
Speaker 9: It's okay, I know you moved. Now.
Speaker 2: Does Trump seem manly to you when you think about like a man's man? I'm being honest.
Speaker 7: The reason why I respect what he says sometimes because he speak his mind.
Speaker 2: So for you, it's speaking your mind. That's like the manly thing that you like. Yeah, could you tell you straight up now?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So you you like that?
Speaker 6: Trump?
Speaker 2: Lets you know, from far away, far away, I'm crazy. Yeah. At the end of the day, it seemed like the only way to get some men to vote for Kamala might be to trick them into it. What if they put a forty five pound kettlebell on the lever to vote for Kamala Harris? Do you think more guys would do it?
Speaker 9: We would do it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Put a sign that says like like try and try and pull this, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Oh, man, don't even tell them the way, just be like, I bet you can't.
Speaker 9: There you go, bet you can't. Okay, Yeah, that you can't.
Speaker 2: That's that should be the slogan, I bet you can't. I mean it might if you don't understand the context. Look pretty bad. Just say, Kamala Harris, bet you can't. That's that that that may backfire? Yeah?
Speaker 5: What a world?
Speaker 2: Is Josh Johnson full time Daily Show correspondent and full time black guy. But more than that, I'm also a part time voter. Now, black voters have been the backbone of elected Democratic president since Bill Clinton went on our Senio. In fact, ninety one percent of black voters vote for Hillary Clinton in twenty sixteen and ninety two percent vote for Joe Biden last election. So why does this year feel different?
Speaker 6: New Poland shows twenty three percent support among black.
Speaker 5: Voters for former President Trump. That's up nineteen points since the twenty twenty election.
Speaker 2: Contrary to popular believe, not all black people know each other. So in order to find out how all black people felt about Trump, I got six from the Tri State area.
Speaker 8: To ask, do we see the Trump?
Speaker 2: Okay? So who will you be voting for in twenty twenty four? Darrel?
Speaker 3: Do I have to see his name?
Speaker 1: I don't want to, but more than likely it's gonna be Trump.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll believe colle and then Victor.
Speaker 7: I'm with her?
Speaker 2: Oh Biden okay? Trump? Eric Trump's Biden Biden Trump. Okay, we're an even split, which I didn't Yeah, I didn't see that coming. So do you think there's gonna be a big shift, any sort of change.
Speaker 1: I think he's gonna be a big shift me too, shift really okay? For me, I've always been a Democrat and it's like for the for the most part, with the Democratic Party, they always make a bunch of promises that they can't deliver.
Speaker 3: You know, they use the issues of the African American community as a soapbox to stand on and make promises, you know, just to get us to come out and vote. And then once we vote and everyone's in place, it's like.
Speaker 2: What happened? Would you say? It's anything like somebody's in your DM and they're really laying it down and take you over here, girl, I'll take you to the top, you know what I mean. And then you finally go on the date and it's Burger King and you know, if the polls are right and Trump is going up with black voters, what changed?
Speaker 7: I wish I knew. I am not a huge fan of Trump.
Speaker 2: He don't respect the black.
Speaker 3: Person and Biden does. Has Biden issued an apology for the things that he's been taught saying.
Speaker 2: He said, if you don't vote for me and you're not black, not black, what is that?
Speaker 3: They have both said that we're questionable, unsavory. Yes, but when you start looking at facts, it's like Biden, you don't drop the ball.
Speaker 2: Brother. Okay, So some black voters feel let down by Democrats. But I wasn't sure if they knew about how Trump liking himself to Black Americans. So I showed them some footage of Trump at the Black Conservative Federation.
Speaker 5: Gallup.
Speaker 10: I'm being indicted for you, the black population.
Speaker 2: I want to play a little game all right now. The game is going to be either fists or finger.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: If you like what's happening, you're going to put up your your black fists.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: If you don't like where that's happening, there's a finger.
Speaker 9: All ready.
Speaker 2: You're right?
Speaker 10: Okay, good.
Speaker 6: These lights are so bright in my eyes that I can't see too many people out there. But I can only see the black ones. I can't see any white ones. You say, that's how far I've come, That's how far I've come.
Speaker 1: Your anthem.
Speaker 2: I'll play the next clip for you real quick.
Speaker 6: Black conservatives understand better than most that some of the greatest evils in our nation's history have come from corrupt systems that try to target.
Speaker 10: And subjugate others.
Speaker 2: You understand that.
Speaker 6: I think that's why the black people are so much on my side now, because they see what's happening to me happens to them.
Speaker 3: You had me at the first question, I mean, and then he messed up at the end.
Speaker 2: So okay, keep can we get our signs up? So the same again. Okay, let's go on to the next clip real quick.
Speaker 10: But I got indicted for nothing, for something that is nothing, and a lot of people said that that's why the black people like because they have been hurt so badly and discriminated against. And they actually viewed me as I'm being discriminated against.
Speaker 8: It.
Speaker 6: It's been pretty amazing, all right.
Speaker 2: So so kind of still along the same party lines, now, do you think Trump is being discriminated against?
Speaker 6: Not at all.
Speaker 9: It's not one side.
Speaker 2: It's the legal system. No matter who you are, if you do these things, you get charged for it. That's it.
Speaker 7: There are two systems of justice. We cannot get away with the same thing. Why folks get away with.
Speaker 2: But with this different sort of accountability system does it feel like Trump is bad at being white? That is ninety one.
Speaker 7: I noticed how when I was incarcerated, right, how the white incarcerated people seem to be more angrier than the black incarcerated people. Trump is like the same thought that it ain't supposed to happen to me. I'm not supposed to be indicted. People are not supposed to tell me I committed a crime because I am privileged.
Speaker 2: Damn, I had no idea the appeal process for incartrated white people's gaslight. But Trump is fighting close to one hundred fellony charges. How much of a criminal is too much of a criminal. If more charges get racked up, maybe things that start to become a bit more egregious. Is that going to start to weigh on whether or not you're going to change your vote?
Speaker 3: Now you start you pay attention, You listen to the facts, not the fluff, and then you actually have to start doing some searching to make sure that what's being presented to you is actual fact.
Speaker 4: And it takes some digging.
Speaker 2: Okay, So if you dug and you did your research and you found out what Josh said was true, that's where your vote probably not. I definitely you know, did not sit down with this panel to change any minds, and I clearly have not, So Yeah, I guess some black folks do Trump, But was there anything I could get this panel to agree on?
Speaker 3: Can we keep these?
Speaker 5: This is so useful?
Speaker 2: Every day?
Speaker 9: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount
Speaker 8: Plus Paramount Podcasts