Speaker 1: Look Out's only films to be buried with. Hello, and welcome to films to be buried with. My name is Brett Goldstein. I'm a comedian, an actor, a writer, a director, a hit man, and I love films. As fran Lieberwitz once said, You're only as good as your last haircut, or the last time you turned your phone off in the cinema at the beginning of the film and didn't even reach for it once like an absent minded gunslinger. What's wrong with you? Or just get rid of your phones. You're in the cinema. That's why you came to the cinema. Just give yourself to the film. Every week I invite a special guest over. I tell them they've died. Then I get them to discuss their life through the films that meant that most of them. Previous guests include Barry Jenkins, Amber Ruffin, Mark Frost, and even Sumles. But this week it is the brilliant actor, producer and all round superstar, legend and hero. It's Joshua Jackson. The final seven dates of my stand up tour of America, The Second Best Note of Your Life, are coming up. Get your tickets at Brett Goldstein Tour dot com. I'm doing Denver, I'm doing Atlanta, New Orleans, Fort Lauderdale, Baltimore, Seattle and Bellingham. Come to the last few shows, there'll be a proper good night out. Head over to the patron at patroon dot com forward slash Brett Goldstein, where you get twenty minutes or more extra with Joshua includes a secret you get the whole episode, uncut, adfree, and as a video you get to see his beautiful face. Check it out over at patreon dot com forward slash Brett Goldstein. Joshua Jackson. Wow, Joshua Jackson. Can you imagine he was on the show. He's a hero, He's a legend. You know him as Pacey from Dawson's Creek. You know from Fringe, you know him from The Affair, you know him from Dr def He has a new show called Dr Odyssey that you've got to watch. He is everybody's favorite guy. I was so excited to record this with him. We never met before, and genuinely, this is one of my all time favorite episodes. I really really think you're gonna love it. He's such a wonderful man. So that is it for now. I very much hope you enjoy episode three hundred and sixteen of Films to be Buried With. Hello, and welcome to Films to be Buried With. It is I Brett Goldstein, and I am joined today by an actor, a legend, a Dawson's creaker and affairer, a dr deatha, a fatal attractioner. He's a fringer, he's a fringe magnet. He's a hero. He's a legend. He is also and I hate to tell you the truth, but I'll say it, the number one guest I have had on this show that every single woman I have mentioned this too has gone, oh my god, he's the hottest guy in the whole world, number one by far. He's here. If you're on the patreot you can even see his lovely face. Look at him. He's here. Please rag to the show. It's the brilliant and Jackson, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: I feel like I should leave now.
Speaker 3: I don't think this could possible to get any better than that introduction.
Speaker 1: Man, It's it's true. I don't know if you know this. You are. You are the Lady's favorite, extraordinary in an extraordinary way. I've had all kinds of people, mixed results, you know with you.
Speaker 3: Right, Okay, well I'll try to disappoint everybody here in the next hour or so.
Speaker 1: Thank you if you could, because it's making it difficult for me. Yeah, thank you for doing this show. It's very nice to meet you.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me. Thank you for making me go through the movies that I love. It was a really nice exercise.
Speaker 1: Oh that's nice. Nice to get. Thanks for giving really important people homework. I I was looking at your CV, and you are in an unusual position of having done long hit series one after the other. Basically, it seems like from the outside you're very good at choosing things, and you're very good in things, and also all those things go pretty long. And I wondered if that is like by accident by design, or like do you do you enjoy it long term thing?
Speaker 2: Well, it's both. The first one was by accident.
Speaker 3: I was just a working kid and I had never worked in TV really, so I had no concept of what working in television was. I was nineteen, so I had no concept of what like a year was, let alone six years. That was not the timescale that I judged life at. Yeah, yeah, exactly, and it was. I mean, it was everything because it was six years so it was wonderful. It was difficult, it was hard, it was sad, it was lonely, it was loving.
Speaker 2: It had all the.
Speaker 3: Experiences that you could pack into that time in your life, and I, on the heels of it knew that it also wasn't for me that I didn't want to go back into another experience like that, because I actually found in a way that I didn't know. I had actually tried to leave the show earlier in the show because I was homesick.
Speaker 2: Really, I'm a Vancouver boy.
Speaker 3: I was away from everything that I knew, living in a far away place, and they didn't let me leave, which I was a little bit of with at the time, but in retrospect was a fantastic thing because I didn't know how important it was going to be for me, just like spiritually to bring it all the way to the clothes right, how important that was going to feel. But I also knew that I didn't want to go back and do another television show. So I spent I think the next five ish years kind of in the wilderness. I went to play in London, made some independent movies, and it wasn't until Fringe that I really thought about doing television again, and that was mostly because of my love for The X Files. Truly, you know, after Dawson's ended, I spent my time in the wilderness and after the thing that brought me back was Fringe, And it really wasn't because I was having a conscious career choices. Just X Files is one of my favorite TV shows growing up, and having a conversation with jj Abrams about him making a new not X Files, but something in the vein of X Files and working in sci fi was the thing that brought me back to television. And I knew what I was getting into in the possibilities this time because I'd been.
Speaker 2: Around it once.
Speaker 3: But I I've never really been one for the five year plan. I've never really gamed out what my career was supposed to be. I don't know for better for worse, but I guess for better. I've been working for a long time now. And then on the heels of that, actually I knew I was really really burnt out just from well, you know, the experience of it is wonderful, it can be life changing, and it's also exhausting, right, It just takes a lot, the hours are long, the emotional cost is very real. So on the heels of that, I kind of went to hide on the Affair because originally that character was very supporting and like a couple of days a week, and I was like, Okay, I can deal with that, like I do a couple scenes an episode and then I'll duck out. That didn't quite work out that way, but that show was in the same way that the play that I did after Dawson's Creek was over kind of rekindled my love for being an actor. Working on the Affair with that group of actors and just having such a good time in the play part of what we do right. Fringe was a lot of about the grind and the work, but the Affair was playtime.
Speaker 2: That's it was such a lovely group of people.
Speaker 3: We enjoyed each other's companies so much, and everybody was there to do the same thing, to try to be as good as they could be to you know, service the words and that also recent it just reminded me of the thing the reason why I kept on doing this after all of the other stuff that comes with it, and then streaming kind of exploded and suddenly you could do one year show.
Speaker 2: So this is a what twenty minute answer to a simple question.
Speaker 3: But then I like working on long form things, even though before this moment in my life, I found like three and four and five years kind of an intimidating amount of time to commit. Suddenly there's all these one year shows and it's like, this is amazing. I get to go and tell a character story for you know, six, eight, ten, twelve episodes, and then I'm free.
Speaker 1: Great. Yeah, can I ask you? There's two things I would like to ask you. One is I'm always interested, like you're an unusual or maybe not, I don't know. As in, you were very young when you got very famous, you had you you were nineteen, and that was an insanely kind of pre internet, right was it pre Internet?
Speaker 3: It was the equivalent pre Yeah, I mean the Internet existed, but it was just pre like everything exploded.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, and yet I was in England and that I was as big as anyway, you know what I mean, Like as in it really was a huge thing. Yeah, how did you cope with that as such a young man? As well? Like did it fuck you up? Did it? Was it?
Speaker 3: Did you mean like that was part of the It's part of the reason I wanted to go home, right, because there's so much You know, I'm nineteen years old, and by the second or third season, I'm making as much money in a week as most of my.
Speaker 2: Friend's parents are making in a year. Right, that'll fuck you up.
Speaker 3: And then the aposter syndrome that goes along with that, and then there's the weird overlay of like, oh, well, now you're a role model for kids, and you're a kid, and I definitely did not feel like a role model and certainly did not behave like a role model.
Speaker 2: Thank god, this was in the pre social media era. So yeah, all of.
Speaker 3: That and this is why it's not why they made me stay, but it's why I recognize now that it was so important for me to stay and stick this out because I had to go through all those things and then get to the place of actually finishing that show. I needed all that growing up, and I needed to do it in what was ultimately kind of a protected environment. Because we weren't in la or New York or else I think my life story would be very different. We were in Wilmington, and again, it was a group of young actors who cared about what they were doing right, and so we were our own quality control. Whereas I think if we were doing that show in LA and there's go Out and there's all the rest of us, the noise that comes along with it, it would have been very easy to be distracted. I was very distractable at nineteen.
Speaker 1: I should imagine. Yeah, it's interesting because if you had left early, it probably would have been like a thing you were bitter about, or like it would have been parts of you story. The narrative was like fuck it and those guys or whatever. It is nice, So you completed that. Interesting, And what about now? Because I assume you have many options? What is it other than you? It's only a year, like, what is it? No?
Speaker 2: This show? So it's funny.
Speaker 3: If we were having this conversation four years ago, the answer would be completely different. But I have a daughter now, and so thank you. She's lovely and she's just about to start school, and I want to be here, I want to be around. And suddenly the math of my life has completely changed. Whereas you know, prior to my daughter, it was all about me in going, like traveling and doing whatever it was that I felt like satisfied my itch, and now it's really like I want to be able to take her to school in the morning, and be there for her dance recitals and and just be present for her and as much as possible provide her with the stability of a normal kid life if that's in LA but.
Speaker 2: To be determined. But so into that space.
Speaker 3: And I'm going through a divorce, so there's that instability in her life anyway, So into that space. As we came out of the strike last year and everybody was starting to gear up for work, I was like, look, I really am deeply motivated to stay here. And so I don't know if anybody's shooting in LA, but I really really want to be here to be able to do all of this stuff for my kid. And into that space comes Doctor Odyssey, which has been so far like just so much fun. It's a show built for fun, which is also really nice. Like I've played a series like the last ten years of my life have been like very shitty, depressed men or psychopaths, and so to now be working on something where everything is sort of on the front foot and it's light and it's fancy, and it is just a complete revelation. I come home from work and I'm like, oh this, I feel good about myself, amazing, this is great. I don't need twenty minutes at the door to just be like, okay.
Speaker 2: Okay, just get it off my chest.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Fuck, I'm very happy for you. That's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's great. Yeah, life is good.
Speaker 1: That is good. It sounds like you've got to figure it out. But now this is very good for today. However, I have forgotten to tell you something.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm shit.
Speaker 1: Fuck, I forgot. I fucking should have said it sooner, rastic because you had all these plans. But oh god, it's written here everyday, it's happened to me before. Actually, I sort of prepare for the and I forget to say that you've died. You're dead.
Speaker 2: Shit.
Speaker 3: That really it completely changes the outlook for my Sunday.
Speaker 1: It's a bit different. But how did you die?
Speaker 3: Well, strangely, we're forty years into the future, because that will be the first time that I can I can die because I have to be here.
Speaker 1: For this kid.
Speaker 3: It's very agree But in forty years I had some terminal illness and decided to like go helly skiing for one last time.
Speaker 1: Where you go up in a helicopter and jump out it's gate.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, well one way trip.
Speaker 1: I love it. And what just just just skate off a cliff?
Speaker 3: Well, I think they used to in the First Nations traditions in the north of Canada, when somebody knew that they were old and past their usefulness to the nation, to the tribe, they just wandered out into the cold and then just sat down and let themselves go. So that would be my version is just go off into the mountains and be gone.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: God, I like that. I really like that, and I respect it, and I think that's how most people should go. I think we should all die like cats. Yeah yeah, just go quietly into the woods about it. Yeah, it's been a pleasure.
Speaker 2: Love you. Yeah, it's not you, it's me. I gotta go.
Speaker 1: That's a lovely That's really lovely. Do you worry about death?
Speaker 2: I'm more cognizant of my life now.
Speaker 3: I'm not so worried about death yet, but I am way more cognizant of my I'm way more precious.
Speaker 2: With my life now than I was five years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Interesting, this kid has really changed to her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in ways that I'm still just discovering. I mean, I was very ready to be a father, and before I met my ex wife, I had started to give up on the on the dream of it because to me, there's kind of a sell by date of when I would want to start. And then the miracle happened and she felt pregnant, and into my life comes this baby. And I think everybody at the beginning, you have all these plans, right, you have this idea of what it's going to be and who this person is going to be, and who you're going to be to this person, And I really missed that I will eventually teach her something of value, I'm sure.
Speaker 2: But what really the flow has been in my direction.
Speaker 3: I'm sure, I'm confident, but yeah, but yeah, she has just like one you open up a patience inside of it yourself that you didn't know existed. And it is true that you just you know, you find this space of love that is totally new, that you had no idea you had that capacity. And in a way that as an actor, you know, there's a lot of days as an actor that there isn't really a good reason to get out of bed, you know what I mean, Like you have to convince yourself of some purpose to like wash your ass and go about a day. There's just nothing of value that you're going to do. So that part of my life is gone now right, I know what the purpose of every day for the foreseeable future is going to be. And then to take this into a deeper place, like I'm a child of a broken family. My father was gone from the time I was very very young, and you know, I'm going through this divorce and so I didn't get there on the first part of this, but I had thought, I what part of my purpose in having this child was, Like I'm going to create an environment or be part of a partnership that creates an environment that shows this kid how a man and woman can create a stable environment. And as it turns out, what I think think this kid came into my life for was to teach me what the love of a father is because I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, listen, Oh the fucking all the women that tell me you were the hottest guy are listening to this, and their ivories are explaining what a beautiful answer. I appreciate you. That's really nice. Yeah, do you did? You may ask and you don't have for us. Did you have a relationship with your dad or he was gone?
Speaker 2: He was gone gone.
Speaker 3: I found him when I was in my early twenties and said my peace with him.
Speaker 2: But we never I and this was me.
Speaker 3: I did not have the desire to spend the time to create that relationship as an adult.
Speaker 2: And he's pass away.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm sorry. Fascinating, Well, look at this a bit lovely. What do you What do you think happens after you die?
Speaker 2: I think we're gone?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but but clearly I'm wrong because I'm here and I'm dead.
Speaker 1: Well, you think you you jump, come to you? Yeah, you ride into the snow, you sit down, and you die and then it's just black out.
Speaker 3: It'll be nice if it's that quick. But yeah, I'm not really.
Speaker 1: It's good a while to die. Yeah, take a minute.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not really metaphysically minded like that, you know I feel. I mean, you decompose and you go back into the component pieces that you were. But I don't know that I believe that your consciousness, that your sense of self. I just don't think we matter that much to the universe.
Speaker 1: Well it's an interesting theory, but completely wrong and completely impressed and there is there is a heaven. There's a heaven, and it's filled with your favorite thing. What's your favorite thing? My daughter? Fuck? All right, heaven is your daughter? Right? Your daughter's there, and she's just very excited to see you. And she's only come to visit because she's still alive. This is for your future, but she's just come to visit and very excited to see you. Want to know all about your life because she's forgotten it on the trip to heaven. But really she wants to know about your life through film, which is weird. And the first thing that she asked you is like, what's the first film you remember seeing? Joshua Jackson.
Speaker 3: The first film that I have a definitive memory of seeing, I'm sure is not like a story that I've heard from that because I thought it was et, But I think that's actually a story that I've heard about the first movie.
Speaker 2: That I saw.
Speaker 1: That's an implanted memory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: The first movie that I definitively remember seeing is Star Wars on VHS at a friend of mine's house, A bunch of like six or seven year old boys sitting around with one VHS and we wore that tape out?
Speaker 1: Is that what got you into sci fi? Was that the beginning?
Speaker 3: I guess, yeah, that was probably it must have been the beginning, because I would have been reading but at a basic level. And yeah, you go into this fantasy world that at that point is completely immersive and your imagination is so open to possibility. Yeah, and I loved it. I couldn't get enough.
Speaker 1: It's fucking cool. Do you have brothers and sisters for you any child?
Speaker 3: I have a little sister who's my full blooded sister, and I have two older half brothers that I wasn't raised with, but we become friendly as adults.
Speaker 2: My father's first kids.
Speaker 1: Right. Wow, this is quite a story and you should write a book about it. Something to think about, Joshua.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you could just get to work on that book. Yeah, yes, sir, What is the film that made you cry the most? Are you a crier in the real world?
Speaker 3: I am not much of a crier. I think crying is really good. I think it's very healthy. Yes, I hear this, and I just don't do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. Yeah, I hear it's good for you, but I don't like to look at it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I have to do it occasionally for work, and I know that doesn't really.
Speaker 2: Count, but I'm like, yeah, I'm good, I'm good. I haven't do that anymore.
Speaker 1: I totally get that, because don't you feel like, yeah, I did I did it. Yeah you can go. I'm like it, yeah, imactually look.
Speaker 2: At me exactly.
Speaker 3: I'm so emotionally available. I'm such an evolved man. Look at me in touch with my emotions.
Speaker 1: Sure, crying is a psychopath, but crying still crying.
Speaker 2: He's got trauma.
Speaker 3: But I do know the two, so I can remember, like I'm more at this age, like get misty eyed person.
Speaker 2: That happens to me a lot more than it used to.
Speaker 3: But I do remember the two films actually that big ugly weeping cry like bad. And one of them is kind of a funny story. Well one of them was on a date, so I guess that's kind of funny. It's hard to hard that dates over. There was no romance after that. And then another one was with a long ago ex girlfriend who was I can't remember.
Speaker 1: I'm sure what was the date film? What was the date film?
Speaker 3: The date film was called Mata dentro, but it's for us, it's the c inside so have your bed them film?
Speaker 2: Did you see this movie?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yeah, a date?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I didn't. I had no idea.
Speaker 3: I was, you know, I was like, I think I was like in the jury at a film festival. It was like yeah, and then we get watched this movie and the.
Speaker 2: End it's just so yeah.
Speaker 1: It was with a big hoodie.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, and then sneak in and out and then don't drive a car or do anything serious afterwards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: I couldn't even rescue it enough with her to like get into film.
Speaker 3: Criticism afterwards to be like, you know, well, it's just interesting.
Speaker 1: I was like, what was the other one?
Speaker 3: And the other one was Michael Hanneke is Amour and that one, yeah, lord.
Speaker 2: And that one.
Speaker 3: So I was at the Can. This is so douchey, but it's true. I was at the Can premiere. So I'm in my full black and white Pengin suit, sitting next to my girlfriend, beautiful woman who's all decked.
Speaker 2: Out in a room filled with jewels.
Speaker 3: And I mean, just like everybody an old Hollywood moments, right, Yeah, And if you've seen that film, it starts like a horror movie, right, and you are in so much or I was in so much tension. I'm like on the chair, white knuckling the beginning, and I can feel as the emotion starts building, I can feel it coming, and I'm like, you are not fucking doing this in this room right now, with these people.
Speaker 2: You are gonna be a man, and.
Speaker 3: You're gonna watch this movie and you're gonna be able to talk about it with no quiver in your voice when we're done. And then there's like fifteen twenty minutes into it, there is a comedy break, right, there's a moment of levity, and consciously I said to myself, laugh and it'll let.
Speaker 2: The tension out of your body. You're gonna be good.
Speaker 3: But what actually came out of me was oh, and then tears. And then I think I cried solidly for like an hour and a half. No, could not get myself back together. And then so then the movie ends, right, and the only good thing is the lights come up and you see everybody's wrecked. Everybody scares, everybody, everybody's wreck I thought I was in my own personal hell, but every buddy's destroyed. And then, because it's a fancy movie premiere, you're supposed to walk outside and there's a party next door and can being canned. Half the people there are just like.
Speaker 1: And you can.
Speaker 3: Literally see the divide in the middle of the room because like the people who had just come from the film are all just like.
Speaker 2: And everybody's like amazing, and Diana, I had to get out of there.
Speaker 3: We literally went home, laid in bed silently and just cried for half an hour. Couldn't even tell you, like even starting the sentence of like, do you remember when, and you're like, yeah, yeah it was.
Speaker 2: That was about Oki.
Speaker 1: Hell well, I don't blame you. That is a hard cool That is a hard cool film. My goodness, Yeah, yeah, I was what about being scared? What's the film that scared you? Then said, do you like being scared? Joshua Jackson don't love it?
Speaker 2: Don't love me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The first movie that's scared me to death was the First night Mare on Elm Street. Watched that when I wasn't supposed to, probably like eleven or twelve, another VHS moment or a sleepover.
Speaker 2: I was wrecked for like a week, couldn't sleep. I was in real trouble.
Speaker 3: So I think that would be I don't know that anything like Alien but that was later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was I just could not. I could I had no.
Speaker 3: Capacity, like Freddy Kruper, Oh my god, Freddy Krueger. So I watch Freddy Krueger when I'm like eleven or twelve years old, right, And then not that long, probably three four years later, we're in California visiting a friend of mine, friend of my mom's, and there's a movie filming, but we don't know what's going on as there's like a ding dong at the door and the kids all go to answer the door, not just like it's cool, there's a movie outside, and we opened the door and it's fucking Freddy Krueger. What because what they were filming is one of the Nightmare on Elm Streets. And he was going around with one of the PA's like hey, sorry and like do a little like crowd work, basically like sorry, man, we're gonna be And but a bunch of twelve year olds opened the door and saw Freddy Krueger.
Speaker 2: And again I was just.
Speaker 3: Like I could not handle it. Yeah, yeah, you didn't think that's it was a similar time. The eighties were weird. Man, whoa, hey, I'm just gonna be in your street. Fuck it out. Yeah, Oh my god, what is the film that you love? It is not critically acclaimed, people don't really like it, but you love it no matter what. So for this I had two. One is The Adventures of Baron von Munchausen. I think this is maybe not a love movie, but I love this movie.
Speaker 1: Good answer, Yeah, really good answer.
Speaker 3: And I just it's beautiful and it's inventive. And I was, I don't know, probably in my early teens when it came out, maybe even younger when it came out and you know, became a man watching Uma Thurman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but also I just.
Speaker 3: So appreciated the story of stories being life.
Speaker 2: Even at that age.
Speaker 3: I just so identified with the idea of like you are truly alive when you're telling your story and when you're living your story.
Speaker 2: I love that movie. Yeah, I loved it.
Speaker 1: That's a beautiful and said, I don't know that's ever come up on this. Yes, well done. That's ten points for you. Fuck it. I always had the points out.
Speaker 2: That's ten nice.
Speaker 1: On the other end of this, guy, what is a film that you used to love very much but you've watched it recently and you've thought, oh, I don't like this anymore.
Speaker 3: So when I was thinking about this, this basically applies to every comedy I grew up with, because man, eighties and nineties comedies.
Speaker 1: They day quick, they day quick.
Speaker 3: But the movie that I actually is the one because I spend a lot of time watching cartoons, and particularly Disney cartoons Aladdin, Aladdin. I loved that movie, and boy through through the modern lens, it's tough, like it's riddled. The first time I was watching it with my daughter, I.
Speaker 2: Was just like, Ah, there's gonna be a lot of explaining to do at the end of this one.
Speaker 4: Like you take it, yeah, exactly, Like do I tell you about these archetypes now? Or do I let the indoctrination happen first and then try to unravel it later.
Speaker 1: Do I teach her that men have nipples? It's good.
Speaker 2: Things you gotta know, but maybe not today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't need this now. One day you are goer than me, but eventually freaking the fuck out. Yeah, what is the film that means the most to you? Not necessarily the film itself is good, but the experience you had seeing it always makes it special to you. Joshua Jackson, That one's pulp fiction it tell me.
Speaker 2: And the reason why.
Speaker 3: It's the first time I watched the movie and was aware in the theater that it was speaking to me, that it wasn't my mom's movie, right, it wasn't an adult film that it was the first time I was like, oh, I get this this like, I get these references, I get the rhythm of this language. This is totally I get the filmmaking, like I've now graduated into being who the movies are speaking to.
Speaker 2: And I just so remember how cool that felt.
Speaker 3: Because my mom gave me a really good education in film and was willing to expose me to things probably I shouldn't have been watching.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I was.
Speaker 3: Always cognizant of the fact that, like I was in her world and she was. She was allowing me to see what grown ups got to do. But I but it wasn't really for me yet. And I remember seeing that. I remember the theater I was in and who I was with when I watched that movie. That's what an impression it.
Speaker 1: Made on me. I like that, Yeah. Can I ask, given your situation, were you very close with your mom? How you were you very Yeah?
Speaker 2: Ok, yeah, she's upstairs right now.
Speaker 1: Oh, I like, yeah, yeah, so were you separate, separate when you were doing Those's Creek then what was she there? Yes?
Speaker 2: She no, no, she was.
Speaker 3: So I have my little sister and she was still mom, right so, and this was really the story of my working youth. When I would go away, I would have to go away with somebody else because Mom still had to be a mom.
Speaker 2: But she did.
Speaker 3: But then I would work, and you know, she raised the two of us by yourself. I hope her ears burning up there. She's recovering from a broken ankle and I'm being a good son. But at this moment she's on the wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I'm dead. What am I supposed to do?
Speaker 1: Exactly? Give it a bright? What is the film you must relate to?
Speaker 2: The film that I most relate to?
Speaker 1: This one.
Speaker 3: I don't think I was able to come up.
Speaker 1: With People often struggle with this web. Yeah, it's okay if you have.
Speaker 3: The one that I came up with is actually Forrest Gump. But I'm not sure that it's the perfect answer. But Forrest Gump was is what jumps into my mind.
Speaker 1: Because your journey or because you're.
Speaker 3: I think again, I mean, I hope I'm not Forrest. But I felt like Forrest, right, I have lived a life.
Speaker 1: You lived a crazy life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: I've lived a life filled with many lives and tried to be as decent as I could be through all of them, with the total understanding that I have been an absolute prick at times and had to learn and you know, go through all the bumps and bruises of being a human. But I found I found that movie enjoyable when it came out and in the years the times that I've seen it since, and it's it's funny, it's also had it's like it was a big hit, but then everybody thought it was, like, I don't know, not a not a great film, and it's gone through these like ups and downs of acceptance. I relate to that, you're.
Speaker 1: The public perception of it over the years, Yes.
Speaker 3: But I also there's just there's a lack of cynicism to that movie and his performance in specific that I really I have always strived, both in my professional life and my personal life to not succumb to cynicism, which I think is it's like a cheap cop out.
Speaker 1: I agree, I really agree. I think it's it's harder, it's actually it's harder to to not be cynical. Yes, but it has more or there are many more doors throughout I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it comes with additional pains, but the richness far out seeds, or at least so far, the richness far out sea exceeds the pain that you have to go through.
Speaker 1: Also, something he said that I relate to, and I guess his forest come is he doesn't have a five year plan. He's sorts of guys on a series of journeys, none of which he necessarily plans.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And like from a very young age, was uncomfortable with the idea that I was an artist. I always felt way more like I was a crafts person.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: But if I am at all an artists, I think that, Yeah, the five year plan is antithetical to the idea of living a good life, you know. It just like you have to be open and available to the things as they come along, which is not like I don't find myself to be a frivolous person, but I just think, one, it's not the way my brain works. But two, it's just like it's such a prescriptive way to think about life. I mean, if you had literally sat me down five years ago and given me even the vague details of where I'm sitting right now, it would have been in conceivable to me, right, And that would be true for every five year block in my life, going back to the first block that I can remember.
Speaker 2: And the richness of my life has not been that.
Speaker 3: I was like, I must have that to be happy or satisfied or successful, whatever the fuck it was that I wanted. It was like, Okay, I'm sort of vaguely going in this direction, and then I get pulled off in this eddie and oh my god, look at this thing that's happened, and oh my Jesus, this is miserable, and then oh no, I'm good again, and then you come back. So yeah, really I related to that as a character trait, right, that he is he is himself, and yet he is.
Speaker 2: Buffeted by the storms of time and life.
Speaker 1: He's yes and improviser, He's like things are of and he says yes and yes, and this is why he has a very exciting life. I agree with you. I've never had a five year plan because I also was like, everything's fucking chaos. How could you have it? You know what I mean? Yeah, it's fucking chaos. Yeah, we thought that was going to happen anyway. Yeah, interesting, what is the sexiest film ever made?
Speaker 2: So for this I put down The Hunger Good Show.
Speaker 1: You get twenty points. I mean that's come up twenty Wow. Yeah, season surrounding Catherine de Nerve having a case.
Speaker 3: Yes please, yes, please, yes, absolutely knocking about wonderful stuff, that's cool, music makes you feel classic? Yes, please exactly exactly, I'm not dirty. It's a classic film.
Speaker 1: Great, perfect answer. There's a subcategory. I'm afraid troubling Boner is worrying. Why does the film you found arousing you weren't sure you should?
Speaker 3: So this one also falls into my category, even though it's still a great film and I love watching it, but it falls into my category of movies that don't hold up for the reason that it is a troubling Boner movie for me, which is the professional Oh fucking that it's such a it's so good, troubling is It's just so like when I was fifteen and she was thirteen, I was like, I'm okay with this, and then very swiftly after that, I was like, God, this is.
Speaker 1: That is a really weird film. In hind I was also very young when it when I saw it and was like, so it was fine, Me and I were the same age. But it is very in hindsight, you go so weird that that film existed and was loved and you.
Speaker 3: Know, loved and yeah, beloved and beloved, acclaimed, and a whole group of men who are our age now watched that movie and love that movie.
Speaker 1: That it's a weird world. Everything's fucking this is what I mean. Everything's fucking chaos.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like it's so out, it's just so Yeah, it's inappropriate, it is inappropriate. So that's my movie that it fits into both of those categories, really really good answers, inappropriate boner for sure, and also like god, it's a problematic.
Speaker 1: Watch what a film. That's why it's Aladdin that one. Jesus. Yeah, what is objectively the greatest film about? Might not be your favorite, but it's the best of cinema.
Speaker 3: That I have no idea for the objective best. Okay, this is a kind of novice answer, but what I love more than anything about what it is that we do for a living and telling stories. I have an idea of the what it is that I'm trying to tell you, and you don't give a fuck because you have your whole life experience and whatever happened that day and the meal that you just had, and maybe you had a cocktail and maybe you didn't, and that's how you take it in and that's what your impression of it is. And so if it hits you, that to me, that's the point, right, Like, yes, it has to meet a minimum level of quality, and yes, you know you need to have all the elements work together, and yes, filmmaking and cinema are important, and the experiences, but if it doesn't touch you, it doesn't matter. And so there are movies like Amore is not the greatest film ever. It's a very very well made movie that's beautifully performed, pretty simple, but it wrecked me, right, just me. And there are movies that I've watched that are supposed to be important, films that I'm told are amazing, but I find them completely cold and they just missed me and they're not for me.
Speaker 2: So I don't have an objective best.
Speaker 3: I have lists of movies in my head that are like four certain feelings, but I don't have one that I'm like, well, that is the best we've ever done.
Speaker 1: Listen he answid Why it's a stupid question? Sure, that's basic.
Speaker 3: I just wanted to give a long winded answer of like why that's a dumb question.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Yeah, yeah, sure, I mean it's my heaven.
Speaker 2: I can I can do what I want.
Speaker 1: Could you give me the list? Can you give me five from the list?
Speaker 3: Chinatown Shashank Redemption, cool Hand.
Speaker 1: Luke ten points for co Hand Lake hasn't come up before.
Speaker 2: Cool Hand Luke's never come up as the best.
Speaker 1: I don't think it has.
Speaker 3: That's an oversight. I mean, you could just put Paul Newman in general. Yeah, but I think I think that's a flawless film, right. I think it is brave and in storytelling. It's obviously brilliantly performed. It's brilliantly directed, and it's incredibly moving, and it's funny and it's touching, and it's just light enough to be able to earn the heaviness.
Speaker 2: I think that's a that's yeah, it's a brilliant film.
Speaker 1: Would you're very good at this? All right? It's the next one. What is the film that you could or have watched the most over and over again?
Speaker 2: That's Shoshank Redemption for sure.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Shashank Redemption. I like that movie so much.
Speaker 3: Remember back in the days when we all had cable, long before streaming, and there were those channels sort of like up in the high digits that were scrambled. Yeah, at least in Vancouver, they were scrambled, but you could get the audio. You couldn't really see the picture, but you could get the art. I've watched from beginning to end, the Shashank Redemption just.
Speaker 1: An audio the radio play, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with like a green spinach wavy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and cried cried to the audio.
Speaker 2: I don't know that I can.
Speaker 3: I don't remember specifically crying to the audio, and that movie doesn't make me cry, but I do love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Yeah, it's a really wonderful film. And I've said it before, but so fascinating that he made that and then the mist.
Speaker 2: Yeah he went ze, I'm good on that.
Speaker 1: On the other side of hope, yeah this.
Speaker 2: He's like, well I got that out of my system.
Speaker 1: I felt good when I write that, but that was a one off. Let's get back to Lisa.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't like to be negative, so we don't have to spend long time on it. But what's the worst film you ever saw?
Speaker 3: So this is a very long list. So arbitrarily, I'm just going to say Cowboys Versus Aliens.
Speaker 2: I know you saw this movie.
Speaker 3: It's terrible, But what I actually wrote down was cynical studio movies. The hallmark of a bad movie to me is when every frame is cynically trying to get something.
Speaker 2: Out of it, even if it's an emotion.
Speaker 3: I hate that. I really despise it. So I don't know why I picked that one, but it was the one that was the top of mind. But this is a long list.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I think about that? Cowboys it was versus Aliens? Yeah, and Aliens nol versus.
Speaker 2: I think I didn't actually look this one up. I didn't check my work.
Speaker 1: When I saw that film, I was like, oh, I think what's wrong with this film is that it's very heavy. It's like it's called Cowboys Best Aliens, and it is not fun in any way. There's no fun in any way. It's like a really serious, heavy, ponderous drama about cowboys. West said is You're like, well, you've got to change the title if you want to take this seat. You've you've sewed us a fun time out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're you're funny. What's the film that made you laugh the most?
Speaker 3: The movie that I remember laughing the hard is that in the theater is the Beavis and butt Heead movie. The Beavis and butt Heead movie is the only time I can remember actually falling out of my seat laughing so hard.
Speaker 1: That's nice. Yeah, do you know what, I don't think I've seen it.
Speaker 3: I hate to admit that. Obviously it was a it was a moment, right, I don't. I cannot tell you if it holds up. I have not seen this movie in many years, but I remember sitting with my friend Mike and we were in La I think we were at the Man's Chinese Theater, and I think it was there's a whole like acid or mushroom trip sequence in the middle.
Speaker 2: Of it and whatever.
Speaker 3: It just like tickled my funny bone and I was giggling so hard I couldn't breathe and I literally had to go to my knees in the aisle to try to catch my breath.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, you know, there's.
Speaker 1: A new one. Have you seen the new one? Because I heard it's brilliant. I heard if you like the new one's brilliant, I definitely need it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh, Joshua Jackson, what's a joy you have been? However, when you were in your late eighties or however old, I don't know how old you are now, but let's assume forty.
Speaker 2: Years it would be eighty six.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, when you're eighty six, you've got a turn of illness. You kept it under your app it's not one of the fun ones. And you've gone, hey, everyone, I'm just I'm just going helly skin, and they go, really, should we come? Nah? Just just want to clear my head. Are you sure? You probably need some companw No, I don't worry about it. So you saying his case, you hung everyone you're happen to heading up to The guy drops you off of the top mantain and the guy says, how long do you want to be? Pick you up and hit you. Guy, don't worry about it. I see it a bit, and he goes, no, I'll come back. He liked it that. I'll just scal the way down. You say, he goes, okay, off he goes. You have a nice ski. You see the majesty of the universe. You see this guy, You see everything, and then you ski beautifully down and you fall over a bit and you land where you land, and you think, oh, just sit here, and you sit there and over a period of two to three weeks.
Speaker 3: Very very very slowly, very miserably ration and starvation.
Speaker 1: Free, and your arm falls off and you're like, fucking he could Maybe I should have just jumped off on its cliffs. But by that point anyway, I'm climbing Everest with a coffin, you know what I'm like. And I see this mound, what's that? Go over and we dig around and go, oh my god, that's Joshah Jackson. Oh shit, he looks dead and we got fucked. We try and get you in the coffin, but because of the eyes you've expanded. Trying to chop you up, chop you up, chop you up into bits, I stuff you in the coffin. There's no room in there. There's only enough room in this coffin for me to slide one DVD into the side for you to take across to the other side. And on the other side its movie night every night. What film are you taking to show your daughter when she comes to visit in heaven when it is your movie night, Joshia or Jackson.
Speaker 3: Go the answer that I had written down before I knew how I died, cool handbook.
Speaker 2: But now that I know how, I've died with with a very cold hand.
Speaker 3: And since it is my little girl who's coming to see me, I think I take. I mean this changes every couple of weeks, but I think I take Moana because it's the first movie that we watched together.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh wow, she can come on in forty years because that is a fucking great that's film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 1: Josha Jackson, what's an absolute privilege and a joy this has been? Is there anything you would like to plug tell people to look out for and watch with you in the future.
Speaker 3: Yes, please please, because I'm really enjoying it, so I want it to be as successful as humanly possible. Please watch Doctor Odyssey starting in late September.
Speaker 1: On What's It ABC. Okay, well, I've loved this. Thank you for your time and fun. Thank you for that. And I'm so sorry for all the women listening that he's better than you imagine. So this is a disaster. Thank God, he's.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go kick a puppy just to balance things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, go and be mean to your mom upstairs. Yeah, thank you for doing this. Good day to you, sir.
Speaker 2: Good day to you as well.
Speaker 1: So that was episode three hundred and sixteen. Head over to the Patreon at patreon dot com forwards last Brett Goldstein for the extra secret chat and videos with Joshua Jackson. Remember to get tickets for the final seven dates of My American Tour and my stand ups second Best Night of your Life at Brett gostintour dot com. Go Chack Apple Podcast, give us a five star writing and write about the film it means the most to you and why it's a lovely thing to read. Helps numbers, It's very much appreciated. Thank you all for listening. I hope you're all well. Thank you so much to Joshua Jackson for giving me his time and being so fucking lovely. Thanks to Scribblings Pep and the Distraction Pieces of Network. Thanks to Buddy Peace for producing it. Thanks to iHeartMedia and Wilferre's Big Money Players Network. Thanks to Adamichon for the graphic and Least Lighting for the photography. Come and join me in a week for another brilliant episode with a very special guest. That is it for now. I really hope you're all well, and I appreciate you all listening. Thank you very much. But in the meantime, have a lovely week, and please, now more than ever, be excellent to each other. I've back back up