Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Daybreak Asia podcast. I'm Dan Schwartzman. Doug Chrisner has a week off Asian stock slip Thursday after a recent tech led rally on w washreet paused crude oil edge lower as you run, reached an agreement with Oman on the Street or horror Mouz from more in the markets, Bloomberg's Heidi Shroud Watts spoke to Kerry Craig, Global Market Strategist to JP Morgan Asset Management.
Speaker 1: We were just sort of chuckling earlier about how you're getting the same thematic of questions from clients at the moment.
Speaker 3: What do they want to know?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a pretty consistent understanding of what's happening in the markets. Obviously, there's been all this investment around the aikpex theme, and it's all about when that comes to fruition in terms of thinking about that revenue generation and that return on that investment that you know, investors are grappling with the moment, and that's a big question because the time horizon on that can vary massively. Obviously, investors want to see that come through quicker, but it takes time for that builder to happen, for that adoption to really take place and see that benefit build through. So it's grappling with that horizon for that investment to really pay off. And the second question that really comes up is is who's going to win from all this? Which of the hyperscalers may be the one that comes out on top. Is it going to be the adopters of this technology in terms of improving productivity, enhancing margins, or how does it play through for the labor and how does it play through for workers as well, So a lot of questions there that come up consistently. I think our message is that this is an enduring theme when we think about AI and this capex. It's continually being revised higher and so far. And we look at the earnings for this season, they're very strong, they're good, so we don't see any need to shy away. But we are becoming more discerning in terms of how we think about the market, and so as investors, you can clearly see that in this quarter's earnings in terms of who's being rewarded and who hasn't. But you know, when we look at what's happening in North Asia. The supply chain is still very strong. It's very hard to see that being competed away, and so we still think about investing across the whole AI landscape in terms of the hyperscalers, the supply chain, the apps, everything that really does benefit from what is going to be a very long time frame on this theme.
Speaker 1: You do expect that the volatility is going to become more of a common theme, that the dispersion becomes more significant as well, right within the names that we've seen, you know, for a very long time going in one direction.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we've seen that dispersion come through on the mag seven as you've seen the performance in the first half of this year, and that money has been rotated around from hyperscalers to semiconductors to memory names, and so it's coming back around to some of the hyperscalers at the moment. But I think that's just indicative of the market trying to figure out who's going to be the biggest beneficiary of it. It has been about following that capex and going to the beneficiaries rather than spenders of that so far. But I think it's also saying to come back in terms of that valuation question. Valuations aren't challenging across the board. They're certainly not cheap, but they're not challenging. But we have seen that gap around the top ten stocks in the US relative to the rest of the market start to narrow and those where the earnings are again being quite strong. So we want to follow that earnings growth in terms of positioning.
Speaker 3: It's when you're in talk about that great big ball of money. I think that's an image that.
Speaker 1: We'd previously probably associated with something like the domestic Chinese market, but the circular funding aspect has been one that's booked investors as well. Right, what do you see is being the impact in debt financing and opportunities there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's come up as a pretty consistent question. I think it comes back to some of the correlation concerns around AI just permeating all these different asset classes and how you put that.
Speaker 3: Together in a portfolio.
Speaker 4: But certainly high level of issuance around investment grade for a lot of the IA on hyperscalar names this year. I think the pace at which it came through, you know, caused a little bit of indigestion for the markets in terms of the over subscription rates for some of that issuance tailing off, and we've seen spreads widen on some of those names, especially at the longer duration end of the issuance. And so I think that's again in line with thinking about what's the timescale for seeing this return on investment, particularly those cash flows start to go negative for a lot of these companies, But ultimately these are good quality companies.
Speaker 3: Leverage is packed up a little bit.
Speaker 4: But certainly not concerningometrics such as debt to e bit da. There again sort of in line with what we would think about. So it's an opportunity to pick up a little bit more income if we see that issuance becoming a little bit more structured and steady rather than surprising. I think the market can digest that because been a lot of flows into investment grade credit. Its still a lot of demand there, and I think it's a way to sort of play through a quality and a portfolio when we don't really have any concerns around the macroeconomic environment at the moment.
Speaker 1: China played a big role in terms of bringing this AI trade down to earth a bit.
Speaker 3: Does that mean you would be a little more opportunity.
Speaker 1: Opportunistic when it comes to the names in China, for example, given the cost and efficiency savings that we've been talking about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the competitive angle and the token cost that's coming through has been obviously a focus in terms of thinking about adoption rates and that revenue generation. I think the advancements that are happening are just amazing. When you say the number of models that are coming out and how sophisticated they are. They're still a little bit behind in terms of what we're seeing in the US models, but they certainly are catching up, and they're doing so at a relatively lower cost for these open weight model in terms of tokens, but they do use a lot more tokens overall because of that. If I was looking at the Chinese markets today and thinking about how to invest it, I would be investing in line with those policy dynamics that the Chinese government is pursuing, and that is around you know, structural build out and thinking about supply chain for the AI theme.
Speaker 3: Investing in these big labs.
Speaker 4: That come out there in these open weight models, and more in line how that benefits broader into the economy. So some of the Internet names are starting to benefit and then also in terms of the greener side of the economy, there's still focusing a lot on that sustainable investment electricity to fund all this. So I think there's a few dynamics when it comes to the Chinese market. The real issue there is again around the housing the domestic consumer and how that's playing through, and that's again one of the struggles for both the market and the economy.
Speaker 1: You still want the inflation protection and in any sort of ideal portfolio, because it feels like investors, you know, so infatuated with the AI trade, have been mostly quite happy to ignore the risk of high energy prices.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's been remarkable how quickly that oil prices come down on the scope for what could be quite a narrow deal to reopen the strait of hor moves. I think there's still a lot of I guess, operational risk we would say, in terms of shipping companies who want to go through that straight, any other costs that may be associated with having to go through it, in terms of what may be charged to pass through there, and also the insurance costs which can move higher as well. So all that was to us would suggest there should be a little bit more premium of risk and that oil price, and so we could see it go back up from today's level. But if it's it's around eighty five ninety dollars a barrel, that's probably not too challenging for their kminmic environment. It's more when we look at crackspreads and refinery costs, they're starting to move higher. When we start to think about gas prices or diesel prices, that's the bit that impacts the economy, and that's where we could see some inflation pressure come through. When we look at the inflation numbers around the world, it's been sort of a trend of disinflation. That's how much that gets derailed via this latest skirmish that's come through. We see those numbers start to come up. And with the central banks, I think they need to actually start to respond to these inflation shocks from the supply side, which they would typically normally look through.
Speaker 1: I've got President Trump working on his tariffs again, bringing that to the four again. It's interesting you have the ASEX at a record high. It's the heavy lifting coming from the old economy type stocks like the big miners.
Speaker 3: Is that a reasonable haven to me?
Speaker 4: I think it's good from thinking about some of the structural stories and demand for things like copper that could play through on the electrication side, that these are again sort of big stable companies that we see through. If you do get upside to growth from China, for example, that would be beneficial for.
Speaker 3: That part of the market.
Speaker 4: But I think it's more reflective of some of the more domestic concerns that are heading some of the domestic players in the Australian market, particularly as you look into the earning season. Here to be a big focus on domestic cyclicals, the housing market obviously linking into back into the banks and how they perform. Whereas when we look at the miners and what they're saying, you know, what is it saying that they're going to be driving a lot more of the earnings growth for this season at least, and so they's going to be quite a spread I think in the market for the earning season this year, and probably just like we saw back in February, a lot of volatility in terms of that sort of have and have nots that we saw come through there.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg's Heidi Shroud Watts speaking to Kerry Craig Global Market strategists at JP Morgan Asset Management, and we're bringing their conversation to you here on the Daybreak Aisia Podcast. Welcome back to the Daybreak Asia Podcast. I'm Dan Schwartzman. Doug Chrisner has the week off. As I mentioned earlier, Asia shares slipped as the AI rally paused from more on Chinese markets. Bloomberg's David and Glass and April Hank spoke to Ava Lee, head of Greater China Equities at UBS Global Wealth Management.
Speaker 3: What is the investment case you're making.
Speaker 5: Are we in the early innings of that rotation back into Chinese internet platform names.
Speaker 6: I think that already has you know, happened. I'm not saying that already done, but is just happening. We noted that, you know, the foundation models.
Speaker 3: I mean we are now have.
Speaker 6: I think three different companies rowing out their latest version, sort of proving that, you know, China AI, we're not too far behind, you know, the global piers.
Speaker 3: First thing.
Speaker 6: Second thing is, of course the overall e commerce space. People have been feared about the subsidies they've given to the food delivery companies come in and say hey, we are doing you know, sort of reducing the subsidies, so the worst in terms of earnings momentum or the subsidies the most that is already behind us. So that's the two things that you know, sort of lifting the sentiment of China.
Speaker 7: Tag okay, China takes a big bucket with many different different parts. Right now, I think Internet you've raised that from fifty second semis I think are still number one for you, correct, But do you have differentiade how you're looking at Chinese How what's the best way to play Chinese tack and Chinese AI at this point?
Speaker 6: Given that information, let me bring you from what global sort of looking at AI Right at the moment, everyone focusing on monetization, and I think that will also be the case for China. So whoever be able to deliver like crowd growth better than people expect margins better, These is the companies that people will focus on. And on top of that, some of them even have their own chips AI chips that they already developed. They able to sell it to other companies exactly what US has been doing, and that company would sort of be more supported in terms of evaluation.
Speaker 3: So now we're talking about show.
Speaker 6: Me the money, like you spent a lot already. China might not be the case, but they do spend as well. Right, So now who are about able to capture you know, the most benefit out of.
Speaker 3: These sort of spending. I think that's the how you.
Speaker 6: Sort of pick the winners versus the average.
Speaker 5: So how much catch up you thing is possible on the hung Stan tape because you look at EPs and other metrics, you know, things still look quite subdued.
Speaker 3: Well, we have to look at both sides.
Speaker 6: First, the margins of the cloud in China it's a lot lower than that of you, so we cannot say that Chinese valuations will be you know, matching that because we're talking about US thirty thirty over thirty percent China like teens margins, it's already a breakthrough compared to nine percent in the past.
Speaker 3: But having said that, when.
Speaker 6: You look at its own trajectory, I think at the moment we're talking about just slightly about average, so we're not yet at the level that very worrying. We're talking about closed to like high teens, high teens versus the earnings that they're going to deliver. We're talking about you know, close to twenty fifteen to twenty percent on a three year cagabasis. I think it's still very reasonable, so I don't worry too much about valuation, but be you know, realistic about how.
Speaker 3: Much they can narrow the gap against the USBN.
Speaker 5: Helpers also understand some of the you know, broader dynamic place because we are seeing today the costs be right getting hard hit. And this is you know, we where maybe we saw a bit of optimism surrounding the memory the momentum coming back. How are investors then allocating towards China with that in mind? And then within China as well, what are you seeing in terms of you know, the crackdown you're seeing on some of the tax issues. Does that also affect the hunting financial related stocks and then drive things further into hunsting tech.
Speaker 3: So within the entire AI space.
Speaker 6: Were regionally people very much into these certain memory trips in particular, But if you look at the past memory trips, sort of the bull market never lasts more than twelve months. This round is very special because you need a lot and then the market that doesn't have enough, so you have a substantial and growing demand and then supply you take time to catch up. But it will catch up eventually, right, and it's not just from career. Maybe China is doing some memory trips as well. So the situation is moving, so people need to monitor that and do not expect. Do not look at E because the E can disappear or lowered in you know, two to three years time. I think that's very important when you look at PEL right, sustainability of learnings. Apart from that, when you look at the entire monetization side, I talk about my foundation model.
Speaker 3: Now almost every.
Speaker 6: Week we have one or two new models coming through. So the competition is crazy. So when you sort of analyze the situation, we need to look at the competition's level, the how whether one will be able to dominate the market share, and then you can pick your stuff. It's like, oh, I know that they have the ecosystem. The ecosystem will not disappear. The people already rely on the you know, the chair, the payment they already develop happened, it's very tough for them to move. So I think this is also very important to understand. Now we're talking about AI monetization, who able.
Speaker 3: To capture this become a recurring earnings.
Speaker 7: If investors can't be bothered with all that. If that's just a headache picking the winners, are there other sectors that seem to be cleaner cut income? There's been returned to cyclicals and value recently fixed income. I don't know, like what else are what are we missing as we obsess over this.
Speaker 6: Recently we have been we have talked about this yield, you know, seeking for yield. Banks already have done very well. We start to see a bit of rotation. So you showed earlier a bit of rotation. Domestic insurance companies, you know, should be also gaining this. People seeking to invest and not necessarily to equity market all the way, right, they might seek for some investment product over by insurance companies.
Speaker 3: Domestic insurance company.
Speaker 6: So that is going to do well apart from that something so you actually started to do buy back and look at the share price.
Speaker 3: It really reflect that corporate.
Speaker 6: Governance, not just in China, I think also in Japan, a few Thinkapore.
Speaker 3: You know, we have some reasons.
Speaker 6: That these are even on a higher I mean, US tenure yields at four point six is not low. But people still you know, sort of think about what sort of a positive carry I can get from the diffident stocks.
Speaker 3: I think that's another element.
Speaker 6: Lastly, going overseas, we have been seeing certain sectors really already done a lot of work in the past in terms of breaking into the international channel, so they are able to gain margins because China, the involution the really creating very efficient margins within the space, so when they expand the goods very competitive in the international market.
Speaker 2: That was Avia Lee, head of Greater China Equities at UBS Global Wealth Management, speaking of Bloomberg's David and Glass and April hag And we're bringing their conversation to you here on the daybreakas podcast.
Speaker 8: Thanks for listening to today's episode of the Bloomberg Daybreak Asia Edition podcast. Each weekday, we look at the story shaping markets, finance, and geopolitics in the Asia Pacific. You can find us on Apple, Spotify, the Bloomberg Podcast YouTube channel, or anywhere else you listen. Join us again tomorrow for insight on the market moves from Hong Kong to Singapore and Australia. I'm Doug Prisoner and this is Bloomberg