Speaker 1: Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer new Arth, and today we're joined by Yannie Brody, Randall Chester, Tresa Garrett, Carl Malcolm, and Doug Duran And Doug Duran's guitar. Doug, how are we doing over here?
Speaker 2: I'm just trying to get along.
Speaker 1: Man now, Doug c Doug sings the song that you hear at the beginning of Meat Eater Trivia, and he's offered to play us a live rendition today.
Speaker 3: Is that right, Doug, that's right, Dream, I'm true.
Speaker 1: We're gonna let's let you take it away here.
Speaker 2: It's a meat Eater podcast, talk about things you might want to hear. It's the Mediater Trivia show. People talk about out things you might want to hear, asking about hunting and fishing, conservation, and occasionally about white tailed Dear Spencer Newhart, he's a host, that buttery voice, he lays those questions down. Yes, Spencer from South Dakota. He's the host using those smooth, mellow tones. He lays them questions down, and he likes taking those two and three year old bucks. And he's an avid amateur lockhound. So welcome to the podcast, friends. There's so much to think about and talk about and learn. Yeah, welcome to the podcast friends. There's so much to think about and talk about and learn. And here's one last thing to remember. It's not ours, it's just our turn.
Speaker 1: Hell yeahs dog wonderful. Thank you, Doug. What a treat.
Speaker 2: That's the best I could do somebody else's guitar.
Speaker 1: And the best you can do is pretty damn good.
Speaker 2: Oh here this is for you.
Speaker 1: And he wrote that last night in his in his hotel room. He's got the lyrics here for me, Signed Douctor in five point fifteen twenty four, Bozeman, Montana. Thank you, Doug.
Speaker 3: Beautiful.
Speaker 2: Well it's all downhill for here from here for me.
Speaker 1: You think so. You've bet on media or trivia before, but this is Carl Malcolm's first time. Do you have any advice for Carl Doug as a vet? Just be yourself, Carl, Okay, be yourself? Carl. Did you bring any music with you today?
Speaker 4: Well, I've always got some music with me, man, But I feel like it's a tough act to follow right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no one's gonna try. No, Thank you, Doug, there's a lot of fun. When when did you decide you were gonna write that little tune?
Speaker 2: Uh? You know that before that year where we all had to stay home, there were gonna be some live shows, and Steve had asked me to do a couple of them, and he said, hey, and bring your guitar. Uh huh, And I said, uh why, and well, yeah, maybe you could play a couple songs before we get started, like sure some covers? He goes, oh, no, right, one, Like somehow I could just sit down and write a song, right yeah? But uh I did, And then of course we all had to stay home, so that never happened, and it ended up writing seven verses for that song and I the second verse is actually in the original version is about him, but there we go. We changed it up for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, It's the Meat Eater podcast blues trivia version. Well done, Doug. Now, Carl, this is your first time on trivia. How do you feel about your chances?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm intimidated by the room.
Speaker 4: I know we've got some very solid trivia experts in that house. But the categories are subject matter near and dear in my heart. So I figured figure out ald my own.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's what I'm hoping.
Speaker 3: For, Spencer. I have a little Carl Malcolm trivia for you. All right, Carl was in attendance at the Mouse the Palace.
Speaker 1: WHOA really, where were you sitting at?
Speaker 3: I was sitting through the beer. No, I definitely did not.
Speaker 4: I did see.
Speaker 3: I saw.
Speaker 4: So if everybody's not familiar with the Mouse at the Palace, was this brawl between the Detroit Pistons and the Indiana Pacers.
Speaker 3: It would have been like.
Speaker 4: Two thousand and two, two, two thousand and four. So I was there in the house and I saw. I saw this fan throw the drink that hit roun our Test in the chest while he was laying on the scorer's table, and the melee that ensued. It's one of the one of the craziest sporting event experiences I've ever had.
Speaker 3: For this is the best factoid I've learned all week.
Speaker 1: That's great. That was probably like a ticket stub era. Do you have the ticket from that game? You know?
Speaker 5: I do know, I do not.
Speaker 1: You need to get your hands on one. Just didn't have.
Speaker 4: That's the first time that that has ever entered my thought.
Speaker 2: Maybe that young lady that you took to the game.
Speaker 1: Has It's sad we're out of the ticket stub Ara. I'd love to have all my tickets to concerts and games and stuff like that.
Speaker 6: I feel that way about hunting licenses, although it's much easier to go to haunt with an app and just tag your animal with an app. I have a very thick folder of twenty years of hunting licenses, and as of a couple of years ago, there's just nothing being added.
Speaker 1: Yeah, kill more trees in the world, That's what I always say. Now, this is a ten round quick mohow with questions from meat Eater's four verticals, which are hunting, fishing, conservation and cooking, and there is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winner's choosing, and because this episode is brought to you by Heart and Soil, they're matching our donation at the end of the game. Thanks to Heart and Soil, the winner will make a one thousand dollars conservation donation today and for the stat of the week. This week we're looking at the first time that Doug was on Meat Eater Trivia. It was our fifth ever game, which was episode three oh seven. Steve was our winner that day with eight points. Doug, do you remember how well you did?
Speaker 2: I don't think I matched the Shelby index.
Speaker 1: Doug was the loser that day with two correct answers.
Speaker 2: I think I checked out after like number five. But wasn't Jim Hefflefinger there he was.
Speaker 1: Jim Hefflefinger was there. He came in second place. He had seven correct answers. Doug, do you think you're now better equipped to win media to trivia than you were two or three years ago?
Speaker 2: No, I've lost memory and stuff. So unless you uh throw me a bone, which I tried to send you a message last night, I want to tell you about the integrity of this game. Spencer, you know, said well, I'm looking forward to having you on. So I actually sent him a question, not the answer, just the question. But he's like, no, no, I've got a bone.
Speaker 1: Doug, the first ever guest who tried to send me the question that would be there on the podcast. That will not be in today's episode, but you'll probably use it some other times some other time.
Speaker 5: I think so good questions.
Speaker 1: It was a good question. Did you know the dog could just ask you guys, Doug, you could just use your question right now if you'd like.
Speaker 2: Uh. The movie Rancho Deluxe was filmed in this area and was written by a famous resident of the area since the nineteen sixties. He's a rancher, he's a hunter.
Speaker 7: Jim Harrison Brody got it him.
Speaker 8: Sure.
Speaker 1: I think McGain is probably a good bet.
Speaker 2: He didn't, you know. He looked at me like, oh, come on, give me something harder than that.
Speaker 1: So there was that was the bone that Dug wanted me to throw him. I heard the set of that movie was crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jeff Bridges and Sam Waterston. There's also a scene that was recorded in downtown Bozeman in the back in the day when they had little fly tie in shops and they walk in and Jeff Bridges is talking to the gallon there. The really good trivia question is what fly were they tying that day?
Speaker 1: All right, Brody? What fly were they tying? I don't know. Royal co was in the seventies.
Speaker 2: It was the Royal Coachman.
Speaker 1: Oh did you know that one? Chester just a guess.
Speaker 2: Right, well, because he watched What Fly Your Time to day? And she goes to the Royal coachman and you see all these people moving on. There's just rows of them.
Speaker 4: It's a good fly for Hollywood.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was the Doug During trivia portion of our show today, now here's our Infrequently Asked Questions segment. If you have a trivia related question for our crew, send it to trivia at the Meat eater dot com with the subject line, I f a you Chase Hayhurt says, do games with Steve last longer than games without him? This is a question. About a dozen folks have sent it in. It's actually a question I answered about two years ago in a stance portion of the show. I looked into it at that time. I compared about fifteen episodes with Steve fifteen episodes without. We found that episodes with Steve are nine percent longer than the episodes that don't have Steve. Uh. He injects some extra banter and usually arguing into the show. That makes him a little little longer. I've heard from a lot of listeners that if they open up the podcast on Wednesday morning and they see that it's over like forty five minutes, they know that either Steve is here or went to overtime. So if we get to fifty minutes, then it's probably both. Now here is some housekeeping to get to. In a previous game of trivia, we had a question about podhunters, and Steve was upset that he got it wrong and pivoted to blaming dictionary dot Com for not providing a good definition. I tried the counter Steve by reading a Merriam Webster Dictionary definition, but accidentally pulled the Collins Dictionary definition instead. So I just wanted to clear up those definitions today. Dictionary dot Com and Collins Dictionary both define podhunter as a person who hunts for food or profit, ignoring the rules of sport. Oxford Languages defines pod hunter as a person who hunts solely to achieve a kill rather than a sport, and Merriam Webster defines podhunter as one who hunts game for food. I think if Steve were here now, he'd agree that Merriam wab Robster had the weakest definition of all four of those dictionaries. And he was just mad that Randall got it right and he got it wrong like he didn't he so the he was upset that the definition I pulled was from Collins Dictionary and dictionary dot Com, and it was you know, what's the nine letter word for a person who hunts profits? Answer that that's right. He didn't. He didn't get it right. Randall did.
Speaker 3: Yes, and he won that day. Yes, thank you. Context really helps round it out.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Now. The Shelby Index for today's round is a four and a half, so our winner should get nine correct answers. And with that we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop, Phil, Look, I need to know what I stand to win everything? Was just tend to win everything.
Speaker 3: Demon Suckers.
Speaker 1: Question one. The topic is nature. This will be multiple choice and this first grade question is via Tiffany Sipe. Alaska, Hawaii, Maine, and Vermont have banned these in an effort to preserve their states natural beauty. Is it billboards sell towers, skyscrapers, or wind farms? Alaska, Hawaii, Maine, and Vermont have banned these in an effort to preserve their state's natural beauty. Your four choices billboards sell towers, skyscrapers, wind farms? This is question one. This will be your only multiple choice question in the game. Billboards sell towers, skyscrapers, or wind forms? And the four states are Alaska, Hawaii, Main and Vermont. Does anybody know this? No, everybody is is taking a guess. It appears m hm, Yanni, is anything coming to mind? I feel like you've you've been to most of these states, right.
Speaker 6: Actually I've only been to uh.
Speaker 5: One of those.
Speaker 1: He doesn't know it. Alaska, Hawaii man in Vermont have banned these in an effort to preserve their state's natural beauty. Billboards, cell towers, skyscrapers, or wind farms. Yanni, you're the only one who doesn't have an answer right now.
Speaker 8: By the way, there is no way for you to hold that whiteboard without somebody seeing it. You mean you're cheating and didn't say that.
Speaker 1: He hasn't changed his answer yet.
Speaker 8: Well, when you turn to Yannis and you're holding your whiteboard up like a billboard.
Speaker 3: I can see Garrett's billboard right now.
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready?
Speaker 2: Hold on?
Speaker 1: Okay, Brody has nailed it down.
Speaker 5: To te meanie mining moll, catch tiger bye. That's all. If he hollers he did.
Speaker 1: It, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Chessire saying billboards, Carl saying skyscrapers, Tresa skyscrapers, Randall billboards, Garrett skyscrapers, Brody billboards, Yanni billboards, Bubbly Doug billboards. The correct answer is billboards. Most of you got that right. Those are the only four states in America to ban billboards, with Hawaii being the first in nineteen twenty seven and Maine being the most recent in nineteen seventy seven. When the main governor signed that bill, over eight thousand highway billboards were ordered to be removed. Even the state's president of the Chamber of Commerce was in favor of the ban, saying that billboard law improved Maine's quality of life. Only four states to eliminate billboards.
Speaker 8: You know, not to pull Steve here, but just being in Hawaii, I'd like to know the definition of a billboard somewhat size sign are we talking about? Yeah, pretty big signs along the road.
Speaker 1: And in some states now or some businesses in those states, we'll just put their billboard on wheels, so then it's like they're not technically breaking the rule, right if it's on the side of like a U haul something like that. But Maine, I think Maine had very specific definitions. Can be with so many feet of a road, can't be of a certain size. You know folks will bend the rules. Question two, The topic is hunting. This is our listener question of the week, which was won by Jeff Sessions for sending this great question. Jeff is going to get a board game signed by.
Speaker 3: The crew the Sessions Who's.
Speaker 1: If you want a chance to win our listener question in the week and send your question to Trivia at the meat eater dot com. The topic is hunting. The five subspecies of this game animal are American or Mexican peninsular and sonoran, says question two. The topic is hunting. The five subspecies of this game animal are American organ, Mexican peninsular, and sonorin. Our players appear to be stumped. No one has come up with an answer quite yet, and this is according to the US Fish and Wildlife Service. The five subspecies American organ, Mexican peninsular, and sonorin.
Speaker 6: Are are all of the subspecies a sustainable huntable population.
Speaker 1: Not gonna tell you anymore, American organ, Mexican peninsular, and sonoran. Brody begrudgingly came up with an answer. Brody, do you like your answer or not? Maybe? He says, chester you have an answer. How do you feel about your answer?
Speaker 2: Name is Brody?
Speaker 1: Just can maybe this is question two?
Speaker 2: Well, there goes my confidence.
Speaker 1: M bubbly, Doug. You got the first one right though, so he's one for one. Doug even wrote down the Shelby index in the corner of his whiteboard. M.
Speaker 2: Gotta have goals man.
Speaker 1: The five subspecies of this game animal are American organ, Mexican peninsular, and sonoran. What do you got, Randall.
Speaker 3: Any additional hints you can offer?
Speaker 1: Not giving you any hints again? This was from the US Fish and Wildlife Service.
Speaker 2: Complete stab in the dark.
Speaker 8: I wish sometimes you could just not answer to not shed light on how stupid you are.
Speaker 1: You could you could just not the answer, Garrett, That's fine.
Speaker 5: I would.
Speaker 1: I didn't say it was talking about me. Oh yeah, that was for Brodie's sake.
Speaker 5: You see what he's right?
Speaker 1: American organ, Mexican peninsular, and sonorin Carl, how do you feel about your answer? Okay? Is everybody ready?
Speaker 5: No? How much time do I have?
Speaker 2: Somebody has the same answer I do, so I don't feel really.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yanni, Brodie, you boys are running out of time. I think we're just waiting on you. He wait m Yanni also declared he has a heart out in about thirty minutes. So yeah, I will remind you of that as you sit there with a blank white boy.
Speaker 6: Oh gosh.
Speaker 1: Five subspecies, Brody, did you change your answer? You're sticking with what you had? Okay, change his answer.
Speaker 5: No, that's not right, Yanni.
Speaker 1: It's the hard you got kids to pick up from volleyball. That's right, Okay, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Chester saying blacktail, Carl saying rail, Tresa saying deer, Randall saying desert bighorn, Garrett sang mountain lion, Brody saying desert bighorn. Yanni says iguana. Oh, bubbly, Doug says raccoon. Nobody got it. Correct answer is pronghorn antelope.
Speaker 9: Although the US Fish and Wildlife Service says there are five subspecies of antelope, other agencies say that if you go by genetic testing, then there are just three.
Speaker 1: The peninsular and Sonoran pronghorn are on the endangered species list. It's estimated that there are about one hundred and fifty peninsular prong horn and four hundred sonoran prong horn left in the wild.
Speaker 3: Question now that you've heard it, No, I.
Speaker 6: Think we might have had a little snippet about it in The Meter's Guide to Hunting, Butchering, and Cooking Wild Game, Volume one.
Speaker 1: Question three, the topic is cooking. The Food Network describes this as quote a traditional Korean dish made with salted and fermented vegetables. Is question three. After question two, there are no perfect games remaining. The topic is cooking. The Food Network describes this as a traditional Korean dish made with salted and fermented vegetables. Brody Carl Randall appear to be confident. Randall, you got this one right.
Speaker 3: I feel pretty confident.
Speaker 1: Carl, you got this one right.
Speaker 4: I am feeling pretty confident.
Speaker 3: I feel better than I did one question ago.
Speaker 1: We may have went from a zero percenter to a one hundred percenter here, Garrett says, no, is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Chester saying miso. Carl says kim chi. Tresa and Randall and Garrett and Brody and Yanni and Bubbly Doug say kim chi. They got it. Oh, the correct answer is kim chi kimchi flavor. Is described as sour, sweet, and spicy, which it accomplishes through ingredients such as Napa cabbage, garlic, ginger fish sauce, and chili flakes. According to Anna Borgman's Meat Eater article called Gut Microbes one oh one, eating kimchi is a delicious way to introduce natural microbes to your body. Question four, the topic is fishing. This brand, which is known for its legend and mojo fishing rods, is named after a river on the Minnesota Wisconsin border.
Speaker 5: Look at Chester, go, thank you, Brody.
Speaker 1: On that one, the topic is fishing. This brand, which is known for its legend and mojo fishing rods, is named after a river on the Wisconsin border. Okay, Brody, he's very confident. We have a few players in the room here from Wisconsin, Doug, Carl Chester. They look like they know it.
Speaker 2: I'm hoping that wasn't my bone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're not confident, Doug.
Speaker 2: I feel pretty good about it.
Speaker 1: This brand, which is known for its legend and mojo fishing rods, is named after a river on the Minnesota Wisconsin border.
Speaker 8: If I'm right, this is a really weird name for a river. Oh.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to see that.
Speaker 1: Did you go with Muskox hide, No, No, Randall, do you have this one right?
Speaker 3: I believe so?
Speaker 1: Okay, he's everybody.
Speaker 3: I was trying to think of all the rod company names that would be a funny river. I'm curious to what Garrett has if I came up with that one.
Speaker 1: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Chester and Carl saying Saint Croix, Treessa saying red. Which is the opposite border on Minnesota. That's the Minnesota North Dakota border. Randall says Saint Croix. Garrett says the ugly stick river. Rody and Yanni and Bubbly. Doug say Saint Croix.
Speaker 3: That's gonna go with Lamaglass.
Speaker 2: Actually, the first one that came to my mind was ugly.
Speaker 1: The correct answer is Saint Croix. Most of you've got that right. Saint Croix was founded in nineteen forty eight by Bob and Bill Johnson. They broke onto the scene by creating the first multi section bamboo fishing rod on the market. The river that the company is named after starts just south of Lake Superior, then follows the Minnesota Wisconsin border for one hundred and twenty five miles before draining into the Mississippi. Are Wisconsin folks in the room. What familiarity do you have with the Saint Croix River? You ever go fish there? Do you ever do anything around the Saint Croix?
Speaker 2: I bought a fish and rod from that company.
Speaker 1: Okay, that that helps, Carl Chester and anything. Just know it exists.
Speaker 3: Never have I fished it.
Speaker 4: But I bought a rod of theirs that I like so much that I then bought two more. So I have three identical setups that are just there.
Speaker 1: You got the bomb. Good. You're a good Wisconsin angler for supporting that Wisconsin brand. Here's question five. The topic is wildlife. This next great question is via Sam Why Rick. This is an audio question. Phil is going to play you thirty seconds of an animal vocalization. You need to identify what animal is making that sound, and here is your clue. This is the second most popular state bird representing Kansas, Wyoming and more. Play the clip.
Speaker 7: Phil Chester needs to put some headphones on if you want to. Yeah, sure, thanks, Okay, here we go.
Speaker 1: Again. That's the second most popular state bird representing Kansas, Wyoming and more.
Speaker 2: And more.
Speaker 1: Chester knew that one right away. He just needed to hear those first few knows.
Speaker 2: A sick look on his face here in the headlights.
Speaker 1: Okay, Brody, you know this one.
Speaker 8: I'm not I think I do, but I did hear a magpie waiting.
Speaker 1: Well again, I told you that you're naming the second most popular state bird. So if you think that's a magpie, then I encourage you to write it second most popular the state bird representing Kansas, Wyoming and more. It's everybody ready, quick answers? Doug Duran, how well do you know your birds?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: I have that app on app on my phone and I've been just digging it during Turkey season. Yeah, and I'm sure I know what that one is. But then there's some stuff that threw me at the end, because this is a fairly common bird.
Speaker 1: Okay, Ecologist Carl, do you know this one?
Speaker 4: I am middle in on my response.
Speaker 1: Okay, Oh, Chester is going through. We have some uh, we have some bird themed coasters on the table here. I don't know if you got to what might help him out or not. Is everybody ready go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Chester saying meadow lark. Carl sang meadow lark, Tresa and Randall and Garrett and Brody sang meadow lark. Yanni says red wing blackbird, bubbly, Doug says red wing.
Speaker 2: Black and he crossed out metal lark.
Speaker 1: The correct answer is what Doug crossed out the western meadow lark. Everybody but Yanni and Doug got that one.
Speaker 2: I'm never looking at ard again.
Speaker 1: You boys thought that might be the second most popular state bird. I wonder if there's any state bird or if there's any state that has the blackbird as their state bird, the red wing the red wing blackbird. Western metal larks are the state bird of Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oregon, and Wyoming. According to the Cornell Lab, they have a complex, two phrase primary song that begins with one to six pure whistles and descends to a series of one to five gurgling warbles. Metal larks develop a repertoire of about a dozen songs that range from courtship songs to intruder songs. Phil, we're halfway through the game of trivia. What you got Chester?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 10: I was just gonna say. The cool thing about metal larks is, I don't know if there's any other birds like this, but you'll be driving down the interstate like I ninety, going eighty miles an hour, and it cuts.
Speaker 2: Through like you can hear them.
Speaker 1: M I never noticed.
Speaker 10: But through the seals are your doors.
Speaker 1: And the Western meadow lark. Phil give us a scoreboard update after halfway through. After we're halfway through a game of trivia.
Speaker 3: You do all right, Doug?
Speaker 2: I'm just you know, what is it you say when you're a kid? Cheaters? Proof? That's what I get for cheating. Sitting next to Brody, I'd been better off.
Speaker 11: Tressa and Garrett have two points apiece, Carl, Jannis, Doug and Chester I'll have three, and tied up in first place are Brody, Henderson and Randall Williams with four points.
Speaker 1: Everybody's really excited about it.
Speaker 5: Anybody's game.
Speaker 1: Question six. The topic is woodsmanship. This next great question is via Andy del Forge. Merriam Webster defines this seven letter word as quote the carrying of boats or goods overland from one body of water to another.
Speaker 3: How does Collins Dictionary define it?
Speaker 1: I have a bet pretty similar. Merriam Webster defines this seven letter word as the carrying of boats or goods overland from one body of water to another.
Speaker 8: Don't know a lot of seven letter words.
Speaker 1: Okay, did the little hangman sketch and see if you can come up with your seven letters or not? Chester, can you adjust your mic thing on the butt?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 1: There we go, fix it?
Speaker 2: So is that the bone is?
Speaker 1: Just?
Speaker 2: Wait?
Speaker 1: Well the bone? One was the question about the river on the Minnesota Wisconsin border, and it's only like one hundred miles from your farm, Doug. Right, that's right right in your wheelhouse.
Speaker 2: I'd say, I feel like this is some bonage as well.
Speaker 12: Okay, seven going off on seven letter word the carrying of boats or goods overland from one body of water to another.
Speaker 1: Is everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Chester and Carl saying portage. Trest, this says travels. The rest of the room says portage, and they got it. The correct answer is portage, Doug, Why would that be your bone? Am I missing some sortage?
Speaker 2: Wisconsin is thirty miles from me. There is a very very famous area because the storage canoes from the Fox River to the Wisconsin River, therefore connecting the Atlantic Ocean to the Gulf of Okay.
Speaker 1: Well, then we threw two bones your way.
Speaker 3: This Yeah, Peter stark Y, he was talking about that, he's going to try to take it on the summer.
Speaker 2: And I was during that podcast, was going, well, you know there's a canal, and then he gets to the talking to the podcast, right and he says, well, you know there's a canal, so whether or not he'll yeah, I drive through there fairly often.
Speaker 1: Portage was borrowed from French in the fifteenth century, when it simply meant carrying or transporting. The definition of moving boats over dry land was born in sixteen ninety eight and was first used to describe the canoeing obstacle that is Niagara Falls. Question seven. The topic is fishing. The George Perry World record largemouth bass was caught on Montgomery Lake in this state.
Speaker 8: You guys, hear fishing questions.
Speaker 1: All the time. Is question seven? The George Perry World record largemouth bass was caught on Montgomery Lake in this state. Brody and Randall appear to know it. Carl, you know this one as well? Maybe he says, Doug, do you know this one?
Speaker 2: No? And I don't want to say what why?
Speaker 1: I okay.
Speaker 2: I came up with the answer because it would be a hint.
Speaker 1: Are there any largemouth bass on the Duran farm? As a matter of fact, there are really okay.
Speaker 2: Little uh we have little farm pond that's got fast bluegills and crappies in it, and they are spawning like crazy.
Speaker 1: Did you put them all in there? Have they been in there?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I'm not sure how they got in there?
Speaker 1: Okay, no clue, they just dugs. Okay. The George Perry World record large mouth bass was caught on Montgomery Lake in this state. Is everybody ready?
Speaker 8: Hm?
Speaker 1: Hm?
Speaker 2: Who's not ready?
Speaker 1: Mister Fisherman Chester Floyd says he's not quite ready yet. Chester has a get Tomorrow night. He's playing some music. Chester. You're playing all originals or all covers or a.
Speaker 10: Mix, playing about seven originals. My buddy's playing about three originals, and then the rest are covers.
Speaker 1: What give me some examples of the covers?
Speaker 10: You're playing the covers? A Trampled by Turtles song, Ain't no use in trying. We're playing a couple of Jim Crochey songs like walking back to Georgia and uh what else? A camp song called Bye and Bye, A couple of cowboy tunes.
Speaker 1: You should play a Trampled by Turtles cover when you open for Trampled by Turtles. You did, what did you play?
Speaker 10: Ain't no use?
Speaker 1: Oh? Okay? Yeah.
Speaker 10: The band members after that we're like, we were like listening and then we like that song sounds familiar.
Speaker 1: That's a ballsy movie. Yeah, well, no I asked before you should you should play a Tom Petty cover of Wildflowers, which is also a trample by Turtles cover, So you can do it. It's like a triple cover. Oh at that point, they didn't do it.
Speaker 10: I'm doing one one more show that people Sylvie able to show up for June first out at Bridge of Brewing. It's a brewfest, so.
Speaker 1: Come on out for that one. It's everybody ready. We're looking for what state Montgomery Lake is where the world record large mouth came from. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Chester saying Florida, Carl says Texas, Tresa Minnesota, Randall saying g A. Carrott says Minnesota, Brody says Georgia. He crossed out Alabama. Yanni says Alabama. Bubbly Doug says Alabama. We have a correct answer in the can you come up without yourself, Doug, it's Georgia. Brody and Randall got that one sight.
Speaker 3: I was afraid of you work in it the way you read my border.
Speaker 10: I was afraid were catching fashion Georgia rather walking back.
Speaker 1: He very skeptically said, ged the g was a little funny looking, so I was. I was caught off guard by a second.
Speaker 3: When I looked at it, I thought it was a perfectly natural g.
Speaker 1: The George Perry bass was caught in nineteen thirty two and weighed twenty two pounds four ounces. Perry was twenty years old at the time. Using the one lure he owned, which was a Creek Chubb fantail shiner, he had the bass weighted at the post office, then fed the fish to his family for the next three days. Perry's record still stands, but was tied by a Japanese angler in two thousand and nine. Question eight the topic is cooking. Divide these parts of a turkey into white meat and dark meat. According to Cooks illustrated, leg, breast, wing, thigh, you need to divide those four parts of a turkey into white meat and dark meat. Leg, breast, wing, thigh is your marker struggling over there, Brody, I'm just being emphatic. You need to divide these into white meat and dark meat. And this is according to Cook's illustrated leg breast, wing, thigh. Carl very quick to answer, Carl, you got this one right.
Speaker 4: If it's not right, I would take issue with illustrator.
Speaker 1: There we go. I'd like you to direct your anger at them, not me. Doug, you had some feedback.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say, for all the complaining I've heard about the whiteboards, the pens work great, racer works great, and the white.
Speaker 1: Well, these are whiteboards two point zero. We're at the beginning of their life span. Probably in a year or so, we will uh auction these things off once folks have heartily complained about them leg breast, wing, thigh.
Speaker 10: I feel like this is like a trick question.
Speaker 1: Okay, is everybody ready?
Speaker 2: Nope?
Speaker 8: I don't think it's as easy as you think it is.
Speaker 5: There ain't no tricks. I want a turkey.
Speaker 1: No, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have chesters saying white meat is breast, dark meat is leg, wing thigh. Carl says white is breast and wing, dark is thigh and leg Tresa with the same answer. Randall says white is breast and thigh. Dark is leg and wing. Garrett says dark is leg, wing, thigh, white is breast. Brody says white meat is wing and breast. Dark meat is leg and thigh. Yanni with the same answer Bubbly Doug saying the wing, thigh and leg are dark meat and the breast is white meat. The correct answer is leg and thigh are dark meat and breast and wing our white meat. We had a few of you get that one right, but I think Randall and Brody.
Speaker 3: Is no change it from that.
Speaker 1: I got it, Yanni, Brody, Tresa, Carl okay again, leg and thigh are dark, breast and winger white. Similar to chickens, turkeys spend far more time on the ground than in the air. Because of this, their legs and thighs have more myoglobin, which is a red protein that helps supply oxygen to the muscles. And since turkey breasts and wings are lesser used muscles, they have less myoglobin. So legs and thighs are dark meat and breasts and wings are white meat.
Speaker 8: That is bullshit because when you get an all dark meat eight piece meal at Rosars Bell.
Speaker 1: We have two questions. Who remains in the game, and I do it often.
Speaker 6: It was according to Cook's Illustrated, not Rose Hours.
Speaker 1: And I, you know Cook's Illustrated was who I signed this to. But almost everybody on the internet agrees that is how you categorize.
Speaker 2: The connected wings, wings and breast leg I can't believe that I did that.
Speaker 11: Tresa, Garrett Chester and Yes, Bubbly Dug are no longer in the running for the win, but Carl and Jannis have five points apiece, Randall with that slip up, has six, and in first place is Brody with seven.
Speaker 1: Question nine, the topic is conservation. Part of this nineteen to ninety Kevin Costner and Oscar winning film was shot in bad Lands National Park. Brody and Randall pure to be confident. Brody feels like this one's too easy. Part of this nineteen ninety Kevin Costner Oscar winning film was shot in bad Lands National Park.
Speaker 2: I cannot believe I didn't think of it.
Speaker 5: Okay, let us know when we can start making jokes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know what jokes you want to make. Dogs Doug has a blank board, so I feel like you're.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that The Postman won an Oscar.
Speaker 1: And it was shot in the bad Lands National Park.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: You can make your your whatever jokes you're gonna have dog.
Speaker 3: They had to build a big ass set to film water.
Speaker 1: World, part of this nineteen to nine Kevin Costner Oscar winning film was shot in bad Lands National Park.
Speaker 8: If you build it, they will come.
Speaker 11: Yeah, you know he's putting up two like Western Epics this year.
Speaker 3: Ambitious.
Speaker 1: Oh, I did not know that. Tell me more film.
Speaker 7: It's called Horizons.
Speaker 11: I think Horizon's part one and two and they're both gonna be like two and a half plus hours long.
Speaker 5: And I think that's just the start of it.
Speaker 3: I think he wants the subtitle. I think is squeezing every last drop of that Yellowstone money out of the popular imagination.
Speaker 1: Doug, are you ready ready?
Speaker 3: I think he's made. I like Kevin Coster, He's just done some things recently that make me question his judgment.
Speaker 1: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Chester saying dances with wolves, Carl says dances with Wolves, trusted without an answer, Randalls and Garrett and Brody says, dances with Wolves. Bubbly. Doug says Tatanka term in the movie.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna ask for like a half a point on that special dispensation for dog.
Speaker 1: Here the correct answer is Dances with Wolves. Dances with Wolves is about a Civil War lieutenant who gets his signed to the army's most distant outposts on the Western frontier. Nearly the entire movie was filmed on ranches in South Dakota and Wyoming, with some scenes shot in bad Lands National Park in the Black Hills National Forest. It is one of just four westerns to win the Oscar for Best Picture, joined by movies such as Unforgiven and No Country for Old Men. That was question nine. Here we will review the previous nine answers for our listeners at home. Answer one was Billboards two, Pronghorn three, kim Chee four, Saint Croix five, Western Meadow Lark six, Portage seven Georgia. Eight, Legs and thighs are dark meat, breasts and wings are white meat. And number nine Dances with Wolves. Phil has anything changed on the scoreboard going into the final question.
Speaker 7: Nope, Brody has eight, Randall has seven.
Speaker 1: Here's question ten. The topic is hunting. This real estate company for deer hunters was founded in two thousand and seven and is headquartered in Pike County, Illinois. Brody, do you know this one?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have to think about it.
Speaker 1: Okay, Randall, do you know this one?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: This is the final question unless we go to overtime. The topic is hunting. This real estate company for deer Hunters was founded in two thousand and seven and is headquartered in Pike County, Illinois. Yanni, you got this one? Yes? Garrett? Do you have this one?
Speaker 9: Nah?
Speaker 8: I'm on the fence.
Speaker 5: Okay, I feel like it's possible.
Speaker 1: Doug, you live in uh in deer hunting Mecca. Do you know what the real estate Company for deer Hunters is? That's I get ordered in Pike County, Illinois.
Speaker 2: I get so many mailings from different realtors who are pitching we can sell your land.
Speaker 1: Oh what do you do with those?
Speaker 2: I pitch them hm, And I asked I send him a message and ask them to remove me from their list.
Speaker 1: You do? Okay? This is a final question. Brody, do you have this one?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: I can't tell if my answer is a real answer that I've heard of that I'm scraping from the back of my brain, or if I'm just making this up.
Speaker 1: You could start this dear hunting real estate company if not. Garrett, what do you think of Brody's answered? Do you know what he has?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I think his answer is better than mine.
Speaker 1: Okay, is everybody ready?
Speaker 5: I'm pretty sure there's an office here in Bozman.
Speaker 1: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Chester saying white Tail Properties. Carl says white Tail Properties. Tresa says Remax Randalls. He says Trophy Properties. Garrett says white Tail Properties. Brody, what's your answer? Brody says Trophy Properties. Yanni says white Tail Properties. Bubbly Doug says white Tail Properties. The correct answer is white Tail Properties. Brody got it wrong, but he's still our winner with what eight correct dancers? Yep, well done, Brody and Yanni. You're right. I think they had an office over in the cannery near our old office. I didn't. I didn't actually see like them around, but I saw they had their one like white Tail shed Antler logo, which is Whitetail Properties. Whitetail Properties has sold over one point six million acres of land in forty one different states. Right now on their website, the most expensive property is a thirteen thousand acre elk hunting ranch in western New Mexico that's listed for thirty one million dollars. And their cheapest property is a five acre parcel of timber in southern Mississippi that's listed for twelve thousand dollars. Oh damn, twelve thousand dollars. You can have your five acres of timber in southern Mississippi. Brody, as our winner, you get to choose where the one thousand dollars donation from Meat Eater and Heart and Soil goes. Brody, what's it gonna be? We just did a podcast about All Though Leopold, So All Though Leopold Foundation. No, Doug, how that make you feel?
Speaker 2: I approve of that, Thank you very much. On behalf of all the folks at the Elder Leopold Foundation.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like you one then Doug? Right?
Speaker 2: Well, I I think I had five right, didn't I feel?
Speaker 3: We got to hear Doug's live rendition of the theme songs. So I think we all want.
Speaker 1: Today Conservation one. We all want Brody one, Doug one, Doug? What do they got going on at the Elder Leopold Foundation?
Speaker 2: Well, you can go there and tour the shack learn about Leopold. There are various programs going on at all times, but one of the coolest things there is to go in the fall when the sand Hill cranes are moving through. You have to set you have to like, uh make an appointment or sign up, but it's an incredible thing to uh listen to like Stan Temple talk about the cranes world renowned ornithologists, and then he'll go, He'll look at his watch and go, it's time to go, because the cranes will be there soon. And you walk down and they have these blinds made and you sit there and you watch ten thousand cranes fly, all fly in in a manner of minutes.
Speaker 1: One thousand dollars from Meat Eater and Heart and Soil going their way. Carl, thanks for joining us, Doug, thank you, thanks for joining us. You held your own today on trivia. Join us next time for more Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins.