Speaker 1: One thing. I'll tell you the funniest with Rashid Wallace. I get checked in the game in the first half. He gets the ball in the post and I'm right behind him in the post. He takes the ball. He looked and he sees me guarding him, yells at the coach, y'all put this mother on me. Come on, you never went to the sideline, looked at the defensive coordinator, be like this mother freak guard me.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go there. I remember when they would put Jimmy Leonard or there was another.
Speaker 1: Safety of white safety. I'm like, I can't put a white guy.
Speaker 2: Welcome to games with names, I'm Julian Edelman, There, Jack and Kyler, and we are on.
Speaker 1: A mission to find the greatest game of all freaking time.
Speaker 2: And on today's episode, we are covering Scalabrini game, Game five of the two thousand and four Eastern Conference Semifinals with NBA vet Boston legend the White Mamba himself, Brian Scalabrini. We get into talking how he became the White Mamba in Chicago.
Speaker 1: I really embraced it, like I didn't care what the score was. I was going out there to get a bucket, right, I'm getting a bucket for the people. Plane pick up with Cooper flag first possession. He goes to the right, he pump fakes, he throws it up off the back, and he dunks it right. The gym was silent.
Speaker 2: And a wild Larry Bird story at the very very end.
Speaker 1: I guess Dominique told me the story one time about Larry Bird and Bird got the ball and he really wanted Dominique to guard him. So I guess, I guess this is the story. I haven't seen it, but this is the story.
Speaker 2: And then we wrap it up by hitting the old hotline. You gotta stick around to the end. Let's go Games with Names is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: May fourteenth, two thousand and four.
Speaker 2: The Palace at Auburn Hills, Auburn Hills, Michigan.
Speaker 1: The Jersey Boys versus the Bad Boys would need a lot more than regulation to settle this one, but the red hot White Mamba would show up big. This is this galapriyah. I feel like the NBA is turned into right now, and I know like football has a different structure, but the NBA is basically like you better have fuck you money, like fuck you money, and you're you're gonna spend it and knock get it back and then maybe like in ten years a team will gain value. But in the meantime, you're gonna pay fucking tax tax. You're not gonna make.
Speaker 2: Any Wait, so you're talking about investing into an NBA team, Yeah, like you.
Speaker 1: Make money like like when you buy it and then when you sell it. Yeah, and then you just there's probably a lot of overheaded like if you're good, yeah, I don't know how football works, but like in the NBA, if you're good, you pay the most and you might lose the most. But if you suck, you get a fact check at the end of the year. How is that fucking possible. I don't know. I don't know the NBA rules at all. See, it's all based off of taxes. Like the better you are, the more salary, The more salary, the more tax like and then you win and you sign everybody back. The tax was one now it's two. Yeah, just like that, and it's like, really they don't want like the same teams to be good for five years. That's why it's interesting. Like the Patriots, how they fucking stayed on top. It's impossible because first of all, your schedule gets harder, and then like if you're really good, guys go to other places to get paid. So like how you like, it's really there's a couple of reasons. There's a guy named Tom Tom, but that's hard to do. Like, it's very hard to do. Yeah, let's get it go. Welcome to Games with Names.
Speaker 2: We have a very special guest and we are talking over the two thousand and four Eastern Conference Semifinals game five Nets versus the Pistons.
Speaker 1: With Brian Scalabrining. Welcome to the studio, man. I love the concept and the studio is nice. Man. As soon as you guys reached out and I said, oh man, like, when you think about pro sports, a lot of people remember games, but there's so many backstories to every game, to how something unfolds or you know, maybe a locker room fight that happened right before and then next you know you're going out and playing a game and now you're kind of unfolding all that. I just I love the concept and I appreciate the Inbo, well, we appreciate you coming.
Speaker 2: You know, playing in Boston for twelve years, I always saw this big ass white dude at every anything to do with something Boston, I see you there, Oh yeah, so you have. You're such a legend here and it's an honor to have you in the studio. And we start our with our guests. The first question we always give them, can you sum up why you picked this game in one sentence.
Speaker 1: I mean, it was a nasty game that I actually played well in. That's it. That's it. That's it.
Speaker 3: Triple overtime corner three when it mattered most.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I just thought, like there's so much that went into this game and from the you know, like the like the Pistons, we were the team and we crushed them. But that year they traded for Rashid Wallace and he's a difference maker. I don't care what anybody says. Like Rashid Wallace, Like when he's on the floor, you know where he's at. He's on the floor offensively, defensively, you just know where he's at at all times. So they have them. Now we're matching up. We're getting a little bit older, like Kid is dealing with the knee injury, so like it like really even the playing field out and the series obviously at this point going into game five, like they whooped our ass in one and two, and then we whooped their ass in three and four. So like at this point the games haven't really been like epic or close, but but in you know everything kind of sometimes in the NBA it's a field out series and five is that determining swing game. And that's exactly what this was. Wow. Now, is this the greatest game of all time? No, it's not the greatest. It's my greatest game of all time. Given the magnitude, given the magnitude, and like where I was, where I grew up, where I came from, where, and the opportunity to play in a game like this, it's my greatest game of all time. I've had more points in meaningless games. You know, when we win by this, I get in there and I get going, but nothing where like the stakes were this high and the tension and I don't know about you, but like, like I live for that shit, man. I just like when it's thing that you can't replicate, I wish I was a better player because I can experience that more. But like the heightened sense of awareness of the playoffs, the details going into that, like all that stuff like, I just thrive in that environment. You watch, like, I know, you guys prepare once a week. That's very similar to the way we prepare for the playoffs, right, But in the regular season, it's, you know, ten clips, move on, ten clips, let's go watch five let's watch five clips of what we did, and ten clips of what we need to do. But in the playoffs, it's deep dive every day. You know, like you get your book. You guys get your book, and we go through every play every option. And so it's just like that felt real, and that felt like very meaningful.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, I mean, playoff anything when it's do or die, it's just it just brings the stakes up and and you when I get into prepare mode for those kind of situations, I always am the guy who's like, I don't want to come up with the I wish I would was at the end of this game.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: So I always prepared more. I always caught fifty to one hundred more balls than I'm supposed to. Or you know, you go do an extra you know, prehab lift, or you do an extra lift of the week, you eat a little better, You just all these little things because you don't want to be at the couch the next week watching the goddamn series.
Speaker 1: Yeah game, you know what I mean. Yeah, And then sometimes there's is there like you're you're probably it seems like you're a do I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do more, I'm gonna do this. Was there ever a point where it became like, man, I'm freaking doing too much. I need to Yeah, that's how I retired. That's my body. My body broke down when you're like, man, fifty catches, Man, I got to like I go back and ice stuff, you know what.
Speaker 2: That's that's honestly, probably one of the reasons why my body broke down the way it did is because I would I never stopped training during the whole year, you know. And it is because I had an insecurity of like I didn't want people to catch me. Yeah, yeah, you know, and so you don't let your body rest, You're gonna break down.
Speaker 1: That's kind of what happened, you know. We call that uh in the league. It's like for me, I lived I had like for me to for this to happen and for me to consistently play well, it's like living on Mount Everest, like if you stumble on mount ever, you die. Like a lot of people have so much freaking talent that they can stumble in the planes and just get up and dust themselves off and move on to the next day. But for me to be operating at that level, like just you know, like whatever my gifts are and where I came from or whatever it may be, Like I'm living on a mountaintop right there, right, and like every step is important, every every detail was important. Like if I had two beers and I'm screwed the next day, right, Like I gotta be on point. And you know, sometimes you lose a game and you're emotional, You're just like, man, screw that, give me the stake and give me two beers. I I'm just gonna you know, I'm gonna like take my mind off of what I just did. Well, I'm gonna pay the price later, right, So it's really hard, Like it was really hard for me, And I played eleven years. I was really fortunate and all that. But for me to be playing, well, I'm living on Mount Everest. Hell, yeah, you got to. So what are you up to these days? You do a bunch of TV.
Speaker 2: You have fun with the parade talking, I mean the championship, you're pretty much part of the team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I always like, yeah, well I love the journey. You know. The only thing is what's crazy is I always think it's really difficult to win a championship, right we're talking Celtics. Didn't I didn't slate the team. Yeah, So twenty twenty four NBA champ Boston Celtics. Uh, you know, like every championship run typically is really difficult, like I don't know, like a moment here, a moment there, like a play here, whatever, even like like us in eight, like we went to Game seven with Atlanta, they were an a C. We were a one seat Like everything's a ruling battle. Man. This Celtic team was so freaking good, like they almost I mean Perzinc has played a little bit, but they almost like coasted to a championship without one of their better players. It's amazing, right, that's how good they were. And you know it's gonna be hard, like the league and the NBA catches upright, like the gap that you make. When the Golden State Warriors did what they did, they jumped out to a massive lead, but then the NBA catches up quickly. So I think a lot of teams are gunning for them this year, but before that, it's just in general, like they were so far ahead of everybody else that I don't think anybody could have touched them. Yeah, no, it was.
Speaker 2: It was almost surreal to watch, Like it didn't even seem really competitive.
Speaker 1: No, not at all. That's what I thought. I know, they would tell you something different. Well, yeah, they're in the they're in the heat of it. Yeah. Like seeing that, I was like, man, are they that they're that good? Yeah, they're just smoking fools. Like it wasn't even close. It's supposed to be. It's not suppose to look like that. I think this year will be more of a reflection of what true professional sports are. Like, you know, you'll get when you get good, you get pulled different directions and you're trying to stay and you're trying to stay the course, and the playoffs come and you're going to be tested and people are working with you like you got a bullgeye on your chest all summer long. So I do think that gap will close a little bit, and you know, like and the glaring thing for the Seas going next year is Al Horford, porzingis like those guys. Porzingis has to stay healthy. Alhovd's getting up there in age, but Al was awesome last year. He's ageless. No, I know, well, you've been around a guy like that too. It's truly amazing.
Speaker 2: It's fucking crazy because when I when I was when I was on my vacation when I was suspended in twenty eighteen, I actually went to the Celtics facility because I was still rehabbing my knee, my aco and so when I was away from the team, I would go into the Celtics facility every day. And the guy that was like the most professional, like businessman, look like a pro, Al Horford, Oh my god, you know, just when it came to like being a professional athlete, getting there early, getting his shit in his treatment, because you know, I was, I was hanging around the boys and they were letting me rehab there and stuff, and it was fucking cool to see. But he was just consummate professional, just a pro. And that's why he's having such a lengthy career.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: He eliminates distraction, He does everything for his game, and it's awesome to see him get one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I always say, like I try to tell people like, obviously Al Horford's gifted, you can't get to that. He's so good and he's really smart. But like being a pro like that is just doing all the simple stuff every single day. It's not like they have some magical drill that they use or this this trainer that they have or this, hey dude, this workout. Like every time you go down in the hotel, he's down there stretching, working, he does this prehab before the game. He's like, he does all the stuff every single day and he doesn't miss a day. And so I asked him, I go, well, what are you gonna do next year? Like you could tell a man a lot to him, He's like, no, I feel good, Like I'm just gonna trust my work and trust my preparation, and I'm gonna be consistent with it. Right, everybody, all these young kids, they want some special thing, but it's just being consistent with what you're doing. You know, my dad would always say life's hard, but it's simple. We don't know what we have to do. It's just hard to always do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, having a guy like Al Horford is not just good for you know his performance and how he is, but it's as an example for the younger guys to watch in the locker room.
Speaker 1: For sure.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm pretty I'm pretty excited to see what they do this year because you know, like Scout said, I mean these leagues everyone when you're America's most wanted, now, yeah, that's where they're at. They're they're they're the measuring stick. You're circled every night. That's eighty eighty six games, eighty two eighty two every night, every night you're the champ. It's hard, it's hard to stay on the top.
Speaker 1: And we go to arenas. So you have to tell me, like when you hit the road, did the Patriot fans travel? Like, yeah, we would travel.
Speaker 2: But it's it's different and certain like if we were playing a team we didn't play a lot of If you go to the NFC West, we go to the Niners, we go you know, San Diego, we would show up.
Speaker 1: A bunch of fans, yep.
Speaker 2: But when you're playing in Division like Jets Buffalo Miami, Yeah, Miami would have a lot of fans, but the Jets in Buffalo, it's pretty much yeah.
Speaker 1: But we I always think like when we go on the road and let's say it's fifty to fifty. Let's just say for our argument's sake, I think that gives juice to the other team, Like you're in their building and they people are paying to cheer for the team that you're going against. Like athletes in our mind, we're all sick. Oh, and we create like narratives to like, oh man, I'm going at them because you know they're there. This is disrespectful to me, right, So I think it like when you get everyone's best shot when we travel and the Celtic fans or let's go Celtics, Like I can see like a little perk up from the other team. Yeah, now, we're not gonna let this happen.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: In my like when we would go on the road, I would always see the crowd, and like you said, it just brought me into that when you said you we have to manifest, like you have to make your own motivation. Sometimes I loved being the villain. I loved going into MetLife Stadium and fucking running down that field trying to fire and they're all pooling. Like I embraced that. Oh yeah, you know it got you up.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's crazy with the little things you have to do in your head to get it going.
Speaker 1: Like if you're on the other.
Speaker 2: Team and you see fifty percent of the crowd is not your crowd at your home stadium, you're getting pistol putting that in there area? Yeah, how did you enjoy enjoy these Olympics?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 1: I watched this a little bit of it, Like I wasn't I think people really did dive in. I watched all the basketball, you know what, it was crazy. I gotta admit I don't I've never seen I was so shocked by it's gonna sound crazy. Doubles badminton, Yeah, what the hell? They would hit the thing like sixty seventy times, Like I was like, what what? What is his action? How come this is not always on? So somehow I got like sucked into doubles badminton, and I was like, these people are nasty at what they do, right, And then I won't watch badminton for four more years.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, and everyone watching badminton thinks they can go out and play.
Speaker 1: With these jokers. Oh hell no, it's in the backyard.
Speaker 2: My offensive coordinator at my juco, I went to junior college. He was like he was the badminton coach or fucking he was like a pro or something. I said, I'll fucking go play you. I went and play this guy for five hours.
Speaker 1: Didn't beat him once. I was like, I'm not going until I beat you. Shuttlecock was flying. Shuttle Cock was fine. And wait, scal.
Speaker 3: Speaking of the Olympics, do you think we're gonna get a fired up JB and JT this year after the snubs?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm in disrespect. I don't know them like that, right, I don't know him, like, are they like, are they highly motivated to destroy you know, the Warriors. I don't really know him like that because I just know this is what I do. When Jason Tatum does get like that, he's tough like like that, no one could stop him. But I don't know how that works, Like is that motivating him to be like that every night? I have no idea. Is it motivating him to be the fact that everyone's jumping on the Anthony Edwards bandwagon when he's Yeah, like, like Tatum deserves accolades and you know, he made sacrifices last year to move the ball and now he didn't get the proper respect for winning a championship. So I don't know, but I'm curious to watch. I'm hoping so yeah, I'm hoping so as a Green teamer over here for sure. See, I don't know how many more rap albums I can go through.
Speaker 3: Yo, that song with a it goes hard, dude. We love Jalen Brown. They just do it on.
Speaker 1: Your peats coming out. Hey, when you win the ship, you can do that. Yeah, yeah you can. Now now you're you're an o G big three guy. I am. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I watched, and they're going to the Olympics next or they're going in an Olympics twenty twenty five or twenty one.
Speaker 1: It was in this year too, this year, but yeah, or three on three? Well, how come they didn't let the phoebe three guys in? Right? All right? So you have to so foba. It's interesting in a sense. They want the three on three to be like a cohesive unit. They don't like, you know how Team usay, you know that other guys qualify and then Team USA comes in and goes to the Olympics, right, And you can qualify by winning the World Cup and there's other things you can do. But in the three on three, you've got to like do a process. So you have to in the middle of a basketball season, you have to take three guys and go and play in a tournament. Now, guys can't leave their jobs in the middle, So it's not actually situ weighted the way that like the five on five is. So what happened like the thing that happened, which was bogus because it's just whole. It feels a little bit like how college used to be. You know. Now these kids be making money and it's not the same way. But Foeba said that those guys could not come over and play the three on three. Those guys could have made one hundred and fifty thousand dollars. So these guys are not like high level five on five pros that are making a million, ten million, whatever they're making. These guys are like grinding out on the three on three grind and so ice Cube offers them to come and play art three on three All Stars, and they could have made some money. I mean, it's four guys one hundred you know, it's like what at thirty five grand a pop, you know, so those guys could have made some money and Foeba just shut it down, Yes, And I like that's like I just first of all, if you're a pro athlete, you should and these guys aren't making big money. You should have the right to make as much money as you possibly can. If people want to watch it, then let's make some money doing it. And I thought that was low down by Foeba not allowing that group to come in and play the Big Three. By the way, the rules are really different. It would have been good, like it's a it's a way of bringing people together and it's the institution. I thought, like, you know, keeping people apart. Yeah, bringing ice Cube down? Amen? Brother, would you just try and get the league bigger? Come on, Manjube will get on this on this podcast and he'll go off on that on the feedba, I wouldn't hear it. You got any Cube stories? Well, I just got the Cube stories from all the Big Three stuff, right, But I don't go to the parties afterwards, which I wish I would, but I don't know. No. But you know, like ice Cube, the one thing I will say, like he's the founder of the league, but he it's not like he's just dropping money and doing other things. Yeah, like he's designing uniforms, he's picking making rules. He's like on every conference call, he's on me, like, so I do everything there, I do a sideline reporting analyst, work play by play right, and if I mess up, he's on me like right away, text message right. So, like he's all over it and this is his baby, right. He still wraps, he still goes on tour, still does movies, but like this is like I created this thing and he's doing a really good job of building this thing up. I mean I don't have that I had.
Speaker 2: I made a Patriots hat, a Boston Patriots hat that I always resembled off of his Oakland Raiders hat that he used to.
Speaker 1: Wear back in the day. Like, yeah, match up with the starter jacket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love. Yeah, man, I'm a Calli guy. You're a Kelli guy.
Speaker 1: But you did you grow up? I grew up in the Bay. Oh what right? I watched your your doc? Yeah, I watched your doc. That's right.
Speaker 2: So that's that's off of ice Cube and the Boys. Yeah, yeah, I grew up in the Bay. You grew up in you were born in Long Beach, Then you grew up in Washington State.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I moved there when I was like twelve twelve. Yeah, so you are you a Cally kidd? Are you washing Washington? Because I grew up high school and all that shuff even though I went back to USC you know, I mean, is not really my vibe. I like going down to LA but it's like it's not my body. Yeah. I like like when you came out here and the people were super rough, right, It's like it was to me it was like a match made in heaven. I was like, man, this is great. All these people they just tell you how it is exactly.
Speaker 2: That's what it is. I always explain that, you know when when when people ask me, like East Coast people, Boston people, they really I'm like, they're not mean. They're just very upfront and they're very honest, and they're not gonna sit here and you know, walk by and say hello because they got ship to do. Yeah, but that same person, if something were to happen to you on the street, that asshole that you think is an asshole would probably help you. And if you go to different cities, the people that are nice to you probably just keep on walking, you know. So that's how I always explain the Northeastern person. You know, they're they're just very straightforward. They're straight shooters, they they but they're actually nice, nice ass people, like when ship's hitting the fan.
Speaker 1: For sure, Like I think when I can explain all this when I'm I coached the Warriors one year in the Bay, or like this, LA's a little like this. I just the best way to describe it is when you drive around, you're like, listen, I gotta get over you're there. I got some space. I'm gonna squeeze in. It is what it is. A guy in here might just come on, man, like, just what are you doing over there? It's on the horn. They speed up, they're super aggressive to you, but then you saw them later they'd be like, hey, how you doing, man? I make this great day outside? Right, It's like like I just just be who you are. Don't be overly aggressive, passive aggressive in the car or and then when you see me into my face or just like super nice. Like people here are like and I'm not saying this is obviously we're blanket statementing a lot of people, but like in general, like people here are just real, like they're just real and up front, and I do agree, like if you meet people here, they are willing to help, like when you are in trouble. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Now what was it like growing up in Washington? Uh? I, you know, like it was the best place for me to grow up. I grew up in a small town about forty miles outside of Seattle. Seattle's a really big hoop bed, like and it all starts. It all started a long time ago with Doug Christie, and then that got pushed to Michael Dickerson and then Jason Terry and then now Jamal Crawford. It's a really inclusive community when it comes to ball. Like there's other places where everyone like mad dogs each other and they're trying to fight for the top. In Seattle, it's like, let's bring everybody along. So if you're like a young guy and you can go to pick up and you see like pros there, you just learn differently, right, And so that environment really helped me because I didn't think I was a pro ever, Like I thought not until I was like a junior in college that I even think about being a professional athlete. I would just like, well, I mean I don't know, like just small town white kid, you know, like just not that athletic. No, I didn't know the nuances of the game, so I never saw myself like that until I started going to those pickup runs and seeing the way that those guys and getting a stop or maybe going up and finishing over a guy. Right, It's like it's like small things that could have happened. But but those guys, if I'm not in that environment, like your trajectory changes when you're young. If you don't see that, you just stay at a level, play with your friends. You are what you are. But until you get thrown in that fire and you have a little bit of success, like that changes your outcome. Whatever that could be five years from now, but it definitely changes the way you look at things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now, the pickup run is such a big thing in basketball. M Like you always hear about these games. You know, I don't know anything about it. But like you said, in your area, in you know, Washington, you guys were all inclusive with each other, and you guys wanted to help each other ball to make very good.
Speaker 1: I heard you. Are you playing You played pick up with the new Cooper kid? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, yeah, Well how's he doing well? Now? He's amazing, right, like yeah, but so like at the time, so I know a guy up in Maine and he trains Cooper and he was like telling me these stories about this at the time, thirteen year old playing against the U Maine guys and he would struggle for like twelve minutes and then for the last thirty minutes of the scrimmage he would start to dominate. I'm like, man, get the fuck out of here, No way, no way, a thirteen year old is better than D one players. It's just that's not true. You can't you can't tell me that you're building up your guy. So I go, all right, like bring him down. So I work with this team at the time, which now I started my own AAU program, but at the time I worked with the Bay State Jaguars and we had guys in there and it's great, Like let me kind of explain. At first, I was Scow the guy on TV that played for the Celtics. Within about a month, like we're nose to nose with these kids, and we have a rule like we can push, but no punches. Ever, nobody can throw punches. You get to two more on suspension. So we like to get what we're trying to do is take soft ass white kids and like build them up and get them. Like, when you're in this environment, you'll be able to survive. And you ain't gonna be able to survive with us just being like nice shot Johnny, Like it's not gonna work. Right, So we have this thing like we go nose to nose, and I've gone with these guys for a while, So I told the guy from Maine, send them down, Like if he can live here, he'll be fine, right, So send him down. Parents show up, great people, great triple drove from Maine. Like it's four and a half. He's thirteen. No, not with the parents, Yeah, four and a half, like four and a half hours, gets out of the car, go you need to warm them up. He's like he just like put on his two knee braces. Right. I'm like, all right, man, let's go. So first possession. He goes to the right and he pump fakes, and let me give you a little bit of a background here, Like I brought in some other kids and they were not about that. And the guys who I played against were killing me about bringing in these other kids. Right, So then for me, I'm always talking shit. So I'm like, yo, I got somebody for you today. Man, this guy's gonna come and whoop your ass right fourteen years old. They're like, man, no way, and I go it's Kid Cooper Flag and they're like, huh, I heard of him. But nah, man, no one can come in here. And on day one survive in this environment when we got the music cranking. We play games where you can only have the ball in your hand for two seconds. You have to shot clock in eight seconds. So we're doing all these things to mess people up, all right. So he comes down, he dribbles right, he pump fakes, he throws it up off the backboard, he goes up with the left and he dunks it right. The gym was silent, like you can hear a pin drop in the gym. And I'm like, ooh, I got some motherfuckers for you now, right, So I give him a chest pump and then we just start going. It was one of our best days. But he survived. Guys in the gym or seventeen eighteen nineteen, there's countless D one players there, like he held his own more than and then when we sped the game up, he just like the game just slowed down for him. So I get I told to the parents, I'm like, this kid's a pro. Like, I don't know what type of pro. There's levels of pro. You could be a Hall of Famer, an All Star, a starter, a bench player, guy like me, right, and you could be a guy that's like ten day contract. There's all of them are pros. But like, what level are you gonna be? And it depends on what you do. So I call USA Basketball the next day, I call Duke the next day. I'm telling you, guys, man, this guy is nasty. They blew me off kid from Maine. He's all right, we'll bring him in for you whatever. And he just took off from there. And the key is, the key is he's gifted. He's super gifted. He's a basketball prodigy. But he's not afraid. Man, he's nasty. Like he's not afraid to walk into places and be and go at people knows who knows. And you saw it when he was scrimmaging USA basketball. You saw him like with Anthony Davis, Lebron James, like all those guys. He was going at him. Man, the great White Hope. I mean, that's what everyone, That's what everyone thinks he just signed with New Balance. Maybe he loves Larry Big Larry Bird fan Larry. That's that kind of guy. But he's nasty like that, is he He's like, he's like tough like Larry Bird was tough? Is he is?
Speaker 2: He quiet on the court? Does he talks ship? Talked ship, but he talked ship with his ball.
Speaker 1: He talked ship. He talked ship like after like something. He's always talking. He's always talking. Yeah, he yeah, I mean he's always chirping, you know. And and he got that fire like you know when we went in there. I went up to Mania, uh I think it was two years ago now, and and we scrimmaged and we got him the first day. You could tell he walked in. He wasn't talking to nobody. He was coming in. He tied his shoes, he's ready. He was not laughing, he was not joking. And he murdered us. Murdered us. Yeah, so we'll see. He will be one year at Duke. Good chance he'll be at number one pick, if not a top three pick, and then you know, then there's that. Then the league is a different animal. It's like there's so many different levels of players in the NBA. There's and and you know, we'll see what he becomes. But he's a worker, he's tough, he's gifted. You know, he's got a great environment, great family. You know. I wish I hope him that he's like whatever he could become. I feel like you'll maximize this potentially.
Speaker 2: You know, it's going to be so fun to watch because I always like watching the guys that are these hype guys. Like he's got hype. I mean we're talking about him. He's not even you know, in college yet. Yeah, so like these hype guys, it's pretty It just makes you. It brings you a little attention to that area. You know, you're like, oh, I want to see what this guy does. Can he is going to live up to it? Or is he going to believe it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? You know, I mean Maine, Maine main Like there's like you can't name four NBA players from me, you Like, you can't name one really outside of Cooper, Like like there's there's just it's just not an environment for that. It's just not it's just that makes it more impressive. It's beyond it's it's prodigy and he's super gifted. He has a twin brother who was always like forty fifty pounds heavier than him growing up, and beat the shit out of him right, and then he just he never backed down, He never cried to mom. He just kept going out. No, his brother now is small, Say geez, his brother played for me on my team, White Mam. But he was good. He's a good player. Like I think he'll go to U Maine. You know, it's just like but his you know, like you grow up. You grew up getting your ass whipped like by your older by your twin brother. Like you just never think that you're good or not, even if you're gifted. You're just always going at your brother who's big, and it's like hard to beat those guys, can't.
Speaker 2: No, No, we got to talk about you said, White Mamba, the one on ones when you challenge.
Speaker 1: Well, it was kind of like the movie.
Speaker 2: So we were talking about, you know that he had to get some some fucking mojo. So he went on and started beating the shit out of people.
Speaker 1: How is that? So I was are you familiar touching and Rich? Yeah? Okay, yeah, sports tub. So I was on the sports tub and they everyone asked me, like listen when I got done playing basketball, like I'm a hoop hit. I still play now, even though, like I know, like football players, you gotta see it differently, like you guys are fucking done when you're done, right, Like yeah, So I still play, like I play against these high school kids like I go and I just play all the time. And but at the time when I just got out, I was playing, like you can't believe, like I was going. I would do the Celtic games, and I think, like a sneaky side of me did the Celtic job just so I can go to different cities and find pick up to play in like that's how I was a I'm like a pickup savage, right. But I was thirty three at the time. So I'm playing all these pickup games. And I had this rec league and the night before I just had I was going I had to go and I had sixty five points. So someone gets on the chat and was just they just started frying me in the chat. So I'm like, y'all really think, like I don't think that, Like I don't think I could tackle you. I don't think I can hit a fucking baseball, Like I don't think I can hit a golf ball like I don't think. I don't think I could do. I don't think I could play Batman, you know, I don't think like that. I think I could hoop right, And I don't even think I'm that good of a one on one player, but I'm better than like average Joe's. So I was just you know what, I'll play anybody anytime, just like sending your videos. We'll pick the best players and we'll just we'll go. I'll play five of you guys in a row. Wouldn't matter to me. And so I just went in there and once, like the way it works, once I see something once or twice, I'm like, all right, I know what you are. You're you're a right handed pull up, You're a left handed to the cup. You like to step back, you know, like I could. I can if I see someone live twice like two possessions, I know exactly what you are. Right, I've seen it. I've seen it on the highest level. And by the way, besides, like Kobe Bryant, most guys in the NBA do like two to seven things max to get open and get a shot off. So I've seen that same move. But it was Paul Pierce doing it, and now was you. So I can stop you. I might not be able to stop Paul Pierce, but I can stop you. So I challenged five guys. I played him. You know, I won like fifty five to eight. Bind you know, but uh that gap is closing at forty six. Still got it, still got I played?
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: I played this dude called the Hesy God like he's a YouTuber and he whooped my ass. Like he whooped my ass. He just he like he built like you like small, right and strong, and he just he was doing shit that I've never even seen before. Right, So these fucking you know what, isn't it crazy?
Speaker 2: It is crazy how sport in general and all sports it's getting to a like you watch some of these football kids. I watch them on you know, YouTube in or you know whatever, and you see the skill level that they have. It's incredible. It's incredible. Or I'll get into like a wormhole of watching hoopers. Oh yeah, these like little kids, yeah, you know, like how they got their their handles. And it's just the information age has helped athlete worlds so much total because we used to I used to like hear folklore of how Jerry Rice chained trained.
Speaker 1: I didn't. I didn't know how it is, and you didn't see it. I didn't see it, but you would hear and you would go to do it.
Speaker 2: Now you can go onto Instagram see what your fucking favorite athletes do and see everything correct and just be a little gym rat and go do it and you know, become great at it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like, my son loves Steph Curry, but my son is not Steph Curry. But I think the best Like this is crazy, right, I think the best offensive player in the NBA, like a guy that every kid should watch and every kid should embulate. I don't care if you're fucking six ' ten or you're five to ten is Trey Young. Trey Young, his footwork is perfect, his handle is perfect, deficiency is perfect. Like I get it, he's not he doesn't make shots, but everything he does is perfect. So if when I go to my son, I'm like, listen, you shouldn't watch Steph Curry Like that's that's otherworldly, Like that's what he does is like I don't like that's you can't even teach that. But what you really should do is watch this guy. So like like He's just glued to it. Trey Young, Trey Young, Trey Young, Trey Jung. And so it's like you, that's amazing how on Apple TV and YouTube he can watch hours of Trey Young just all day long. Tray Young. Like, like, we used to have the video tape put in the thing and be watch highlights and it wasn't like learning highlights. It was just dunks and threes and whatever. Right, So you know the information age and sports and let's not even I was on Instagram this morning and I saw a guy, you know how like you have a feed of people you follow, but sometimes they throw somebody in there. I saw this dude in Minnesota training people. I'm like, I can't do that, but I need a guy that could do that to work with my team, right and I need that right there, and I'll send him that and I'll say, take this guy, study the hell out of him, and I want you to do this with my kids. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I see there's one guy up in New York. I see trains all these guys.
Speaker 1: I think Brady Brickley, Yes, Brickley. Yeah. I am like I watched some of the guys these drills.
Speaker 2: There's so fascinating and they're so awesome to watch the things they come up with and then see it translate.
Speaker 1: Oh, they actually do that in the game. You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: You go from what we always used to say, you go from the classroom to the drill, to the seven on seven to the team period. You know, no one sees those drills, the things that you do in order to execute at you know, in the team periods.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: So it's kind of similar watching these guys. They'll cut up like one little thing and they'll do it a million times and then they perfect it and then it's just it.
Speaker 1: Has that changed in football, Like so like here's here's the big thing. So in basketball, it's the dribble to the gather, Like you can you could spin that ball or hold that ball out as long as you possibly can, as long as you don't put your hand underneath the ball or put two hands on the ball, and you can take a thousand steps if you want. Right. So the whole gather series, Uh, Like the float and gather is like kind of like James Harden, Right, he puts the ball, he floats it and he goes then he shoots it. Right, So he's like it's okay with their hands on top of the ball. So that's been a big change. Like not many players. There were some, but not many, and back in the day did it. So now like when you talk about little kids, like kids that can't even play float the ball, high, gather, low, gather, power gather, right, has there been a thing in football where you watch and say, man, there was nobody doing that, and now everybody's doing that.
Speaker 2: For me, I think football it's just it's it's for the receiver position. I think it's their release game. You know, the releases at the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 1: Shot it.
Speaker 2: These guys they have such a big tool belt now and they can practice it like my release is I would release and instinctively just go. They use it as like a weapon now where they have a counter, they have a double, they have a speed, they have a you know what I mean. Yeah, it's just I think they're just everyone's a technician now. Everyone's a technician now, and these big ass receipts everyone get in and out of breaks. Like you watch a guy like Jamar Chase or Justin Jefferson. Those guys used to be guys that just went down the sideline. Jamar Chase is two hundred and ten to fifteen pounds, six ' one six, a tall six ' one, and he can get in and out of breaks like like a little guy. You know, that's the stuff you're starting to see here, you know, in the league. And then also the rule changes have allowed guys to, you know, play across the middle.
Speaker 1: You know, it kind of happened in the middle of my.
Speaker 2: Career where you couldn't hit the guys like they used to in the head, right in the head or just in general. You know, guys, we started farming this in the young kids sports. You know, you start seeing him Pop Warner, where these guys are starting to see, like your favorite guy that used to be a headhunter or a big hitter, he ain't even playing because he's suspended. So and then the guy who's making the picks is getting paid hell of money. So now they don't even go for the big hit as much. They go for an interception because you get paid if you get interceptions. So the whole game has changed. It has become a space game, very similar to basketball.
Speaker 1: More space. It's spaced now, can I I've always wanted to ask you this and this is for all guys going over the middle. When you're going over the middle, is that a feel that you know that there's a guy there or not there?
Speaker 2: So you know pre snap what's going to be. You know the coverage, so I kind of know where guys are supposed to be from the look before the snap. Now there's a lot of variables when that happens. But you know, if the quarterback comes late to you across the middle and you're on a twenty yard ind and you're starting to get past those numbers, that's usually when you hit that middlefield safety. So I can anticipate if I'm going to get my clock cleaned.
Speaker 1: So's it's a gut or you actually when the ball's in the air, because it's so slow for you, you can say, damn about get hit? Well I can.
Speaker 2: I can know by the time that you know when the quarterback throw me the ball, where the quarterback threw me the ball, that you know, if if the defense.
Speaker 1: Is where they're supposed to be, I could be getting hit.
Speaker 2: So you're prepared for you you're not, Yeah, you're prepared for it, but you know going into it, Yeah, you know if.
Speaker 1: You're gonna get take one or not. Yeah, you know, and you know, and you know when you're not. Yeah, you know when you're not. You know when you're not. You know where you're going. You're like, I'm gonna have like I'm gonna have a little bit of room here. Yeah, So a lot of it.
Speaker 2: You know, when you see a lot of those big hits, it's sometimes it's receivers running through zones, you know what I mean, because man coverage, you're not really gonna get a hit unless there's a rat, a guy in the middle of the field who has no responsibility that's reading the quarterback size or you're deep and you hit that middle field safety. So if man coverage you beat your guy, you're good. But you always see these big hits because it's a young receiver running like a bat out of hell through the zone. Yeah, waiting for and a guy is waiting for you. So you can kind of anticipate when you get older, you know where the soft spots of the zones are. And if you have a good rapport with the quarterback, he knows that as well, so you know, you're his eyes out on the field, Like I was a lot of times I'd be Tom's eyes he'd trust where I was going and then you know, he would throw me to where he wanted me to run. You know, So if you put it on this shoulder, he's saying, Hey, there's a guy over here, let's go this.
Speaker 1: I see. I see. So that that's where the nuances come. And when you watch that, you pick pick it up right away, like you're watching ooh, young receiver or ooh quarterback didn't do You can see when a guy gets blown up, you know why he got there. So so think about like what I do with the Celtics, right, Like I love basketball, but it's really hard to explain like the nuances of what the game is and then try to make it so people can understand it. Right. And it's funny how there's a misconception about every time I meet up football player, the misconception is like dumb football player. You guys like the smartest people, every single one of you guys, and the layers of what you got. Mike, you know that you know when you were on layer three, four, five, like you know in the NBA we stop at two.
Speaker 2: It's like, well, it's just because you know when you when you play, when you play sixteen seventeen games and you have a whole week to prepare for one game. Just imagine, like like what you said when you're going into playoffs. You guys got that book. Yeah, that's like that every week because you can't. You can't slip up and have a three game skid in the NFL. Your season's over for sure, for sure. So you have you have to prepare for everything to put yourself in the position to go out and perform three hours on a Sunday the best of your possibility, and then you have to dump it and go to the next week. Crazy, you know, that's that's foot.
Speaker 1: How how when you go to the playoffs is it even more?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I mean it's the speeds are always like this. You know, you come in and March and you got organized team activities and you start working out for like six weeks with the team. You work out, you're working on your speed, and then you guys start doing a little you know ota where you're installing the offense, and it's like a little faster because now you have a guy across from you, but you're still there's no pads.
Speaker 1: That's like faster.
Speaker 2: Then you get to training camp and it's like a lot faster hit, well not hitting, but just the speed. And when you're feeling another guy on you, you know what I mean, And when the ball's coming and all of a sudden, you know you're not getting hit, but the ball you know if you would have got hit, So there's things flying around. Then you get the regular season when you know you're not going against a guy who's not going to make the team, and it gets that much faster, and then you.
Speaker 1: Get to the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Every week that there's no business decisions anymore. Guys are going like bad out of hell trying to kill you. So it's it's crazy, but it's you know, that's that's why we like playing the game for sure.
Speaker 1: For sure. We'll be right back after this quick break.
Speaker 6: Hey Hey, hey, it's Rab Gronkowski here and I'm with my bro or my dude, Jules.
Speaker 2: And we are super excited to tell you about our new show, Dudes on Dudes.
Speaker 1: We're just regular dudes as well.
Speaker 6: Sometimes we can't read, sometimes we can't speak properly, but.
Speaker 1: That's what dudes do. But Dudes on Dudes, seriously, who named this?
Speaker 6: Anyways, we're spilling all the behind scenes stories crazy details and honestly just having a blast talking football.
Speaker 2: Every week, we're discussing our favorite players of all times, from legends to our buddies to current stars, and the best.
Speaker 6: Part, we're finally answering the age old question what kind of dudes are these dudes?
Speaker 2: Is Travis Kelce a stud or a freak? Is Tom Brady a dog or dude's dude? We're gonna find out every episode drops every Thursday during the NFL season.
Speaker 6: Those are some good questions right there, Julian. We're gonna find out soon. And watch us on YouTube, listen wherever you listen to podcasts, and of course, follow us all over social media.
Speaker 2: So hit that subscribe button, follow us everywhere and join the dude party.
Speaker 1: You don't want to miss this. Dudes on dudes, Let's go now.
Speaker 2: This is a segment where we go back in time around the game. This was around May fourteenth, two thousand and four, good year, and we go over pop culture and then one movie was Troy brad Pitt You see that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good movie. Let's get a little bit about the Trojan Horse. I went to USC. Yeah, he fight on the Big ten. Now that's so weird. That's so weird to say it's crazy. Yeah, and the quarterback makes eight million bucks. Yeah, that's what thirty years I gotta go back. You know this quarterback was making eight million dollars in college.
Speaker 2: What a loser he's making forty now? Yeah, jesus, No one song was yeah by Usher. I think we all asked, like this was this was my high school? Oh my gosh, I was in high school here. I think that was like our prom song.
Speaker 1: Forgot Usher got you if you assisted in high school? And also a couple of heartbreaks. You know, you got it bad, bro, you got it bad. Oh you got it bad. No way, no way. You were crying out. No way, man, you're shedding a real tear. No way, amen, no way, no way you turn into this shedding a tear. You know, we're not just dumb. Football players are sensitive guys. Ain't no way, ain't no way. You're probably like all right, like like it's like you did well, you know what it's cover two? Now it's a cover three. I go to to the Nickel package. You had a backup playing. I know it.
Speaker 5: Let's find the soft spot in the zone.
Speaker 1: Oh, Kyler, what was it? What was it?
Speaker 2: Two thousand and four scal like right now, don this Oh my god, two thousand and four.
Speaker 1: So like I was year so I went to school five years so this see I'm twenty oh my gosh, twenty four, twenty three, twenty three, four, twenty five. So the game is just starting to slow down for me, right, Like there's a point when you talk about the speed of the game, Like when I first got into the NBA and it's some bullshit preseason game, I felt like I was in the middle of a highway and it was going a million miles an hour. I finally like kind of like started to carve out like who I am, what I am, this is what I do, trust my work and all that stuff. So just just at that point started to slow down. And you know, I also recognize that I'm never gonna be a this. I'm really happy doing this. Let me master my role and just and like, let me see how far I can go with this particular role. And I thought that was that hits a lot of guys, right there. A lot of guys.
Speaker 2: Guys don't manage their expectations and it takes them out of the overall big picture of why you just want to be on a team. Yeah, you know so some guys, I mean, I've seen it. You know, a guy thinks he should be here, and he's worrying about you know, what the coach is doing.
Speaker 1: He's worrying about this.
Speaker 2: When you know, if you just sit back and worry about what you have to do, that's when the great things happen.
Speaker 1: For sure, you know what I mean. So I can fully you know we had we had Jason Kidd on our team, right, and hey boy, and it's right baby. Just think about this, Like I had a really fast I played in junior college as well, I had a really fast team in junior college. I got really good at taking the ball out of bounds, right, some simple thing like all goes through the net, like whether it be like a quarterback in their drops. You know, I could want to and step on the line and as I step, I can release the ball. Right. So some meaningless nothing right that I got a lot of practice on will be played fast. Well, all of a sudden I get drafted and Jason kids on my team. That shit matters. And if I take the ball out and it goes to Keny Martin for an alu, like my coaches are going to realize that it's a way of putting it like this. Let's say I was going to play four and a half minutes. Let's say I take the ball out, I get it the kid, and kid goes it to Martin. That might buy me thirty seconds. Let's say in that thirty seconds, I grab a rebound and I knocked down at three. I just bought myself three more minutes, right, So I lived under That was the year when I realized that I'm buying my time, like I'm bidding on my minutes by my play. And if I didn't play well, then probably wouldn't go back in the second half. But the point is play well enough to get a second half opportunity.
Speaker 2: See, that's the difference between basketball and football. Like I was in that same situation, but that was during practice. Really, yeah, you know where that's how you earned your opportunity because on game day you're only dressing forty six out of fifty three. And if you don't do it in practice, if you don't take advantage of those opportunities those inbounds or whatever in practice, and they didn't see you.
Speaker 1: Do it, they weren't putting you out on that fucking field. Wow, So wait a minute, how many how many possessions offensively in a football game? Typically there's about usually about sixty plays? Okay, going into that, do they know by.
Speaker 2: Like eleven on a high what is it like seven to eleven possessions.
Speaker 1: Per per side? So do you know how many you're getting? Like going in, you're like, I'm gonna get you can forty what place plays? Uh? You could have a package.
Speaker 2: So if you're not a first if you're not a guy like how I started, there was a four wide package where on third downs you'd have Randy Wes, Joey Galloway, they'd take the tight end out and they'd put me in called four wide. So there may be five plays with that package that they could only use on third down.
Speaker 1: That was it. That was that was it. So you're on the sideline all you're rooting for third down.
Speaker 7: I'm rooting for I hope those ship in the ground so I can get in there for that five white package. Say it, admit it, you're like, yo, I could really use the third down right now?
Speaker 2: You know how many times I saw Walker got he get like this, This is how tough he was.
Speaker 1: I saw him like his helmet came off. I'm over here striving, I'm going in hell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the motherfucker get backed up, yo.
Speaker 1: We are certifiedly tapped. We are tapped. Like that's just like when Key Martin would punch somebody, I'd be like, sweet, yeah, I'm about to buy. Yeah. That's that's how it was. That's how it was.
Speaker 2: But it's crazy, you know, like you guys are learning your team as the season goes.
Speaker 1: Each and every game, oh yeah, changing me. So you know we.
Speaker 2: Have to learn our team a lot through the practice and then in the games as well. But you know you have to you have to go out and do everything you can win those which is I heard you talking about that.
Speaker 1: It was crazy. There's dirty needs, third and law.
Speaker 3: Yeah for wide let's get behind the chains baby. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I bet you can watch you on the sideline, like you get a first down, second, second and eight, you get a first down, you probably or you know return.
Speaker 2: In football, there's a whole different you know, if they we punt, I could be out there.
Speaker 1: So you're sitting there cheerleading. The more you can do, the more you can do, you got. It's a it's a weird mindset. You gotta be like, you gotta want to win, you gotta want the best for your team and all that, but you got to be hungry to get that in there. Else when you go in there, you won't do well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you got to take advantage of the opportunity because I remember, you know, early on, I would struggle because I was used to being in the game as a quarterback in college. Every fucking play touching the ball, you know, so your focuses are, you're in the game. You could feel the momentum in the swings of the game. When I first got in the league, I'm playing like eight offensive plays, like you fuck up one? You're like, oh, you know what I mean, It's it's fucking life or death. And then you may not have been on the field for like twenty five minutes, so then you gotta go.
Speaker 1: You know, that's like a bench player. No, I know, it's tough. In two thousand and three, two thousand and four, in the sports world, the Pistons, they won that championship.
Speaker 2: When we get into this right here, shadowing KG was the MVP of the NBA. Stanley Cup winners were the Tampa Bay Lightning. Wow, they've done it a few times now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're great.
Speaker 1: They do. They like hockey and Florida win. They do. It's gotta be about free agents going down there and not paying no tax, say.
Speaker 2: Tax, Yeah, it particularly with Canada has extra Texas to Lebron James, I was he was drafted. I was at Kent when he was over there, Yeah, and was six. I was in because I went to Kent State in Ohio and he grew up an Akron, which is like right there. So like I felt that whole like aura of Lebron and that whole thing.
Speaker 1: It was crazy. I went and bought his shoes. He's awesome. I mean it's incredible. It's incredible. He's still yeah, exceed the expectations. He's a great guy, like great businessman. I don't know. It's like it's very it's very rare to exceed hype because hype is hype. Hype is hype. Yeah, it's like, but he exceeded it and he still does. He's still exceeding hype.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and not even just on the on the court, but like in life too.
Speaker 1: Everything he elevates everything. Yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 2: Barry Bond set the record for being intentionally walked four times in one game.
Speaker 1: Do you watch baseball? I think I watched back in the day. That was when he was cranking home ranking had a massive head New era making that customs the big Lance Armstrong fantasy to what he did.
Speaker 8: I'm desperately trying to do a Twitter France Days as an episode here, but it's not getting buy in from the team.
Speaker 2: What do you mean, I love I like the Tordate French shout out, I forgot you.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And then Bethany surfer, Bethany Hamilton lost her arm to a shark attack.
Speaker 1: Soul surfer a little bit. We just interviewed Larry Hamilton, you know, yeah, like the faitness guy.
Speaker 2: No, the fucking big Waves surf.
Speaker 1: And all that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, his coffee is.
Speaker 2: Great, yeah, surfer mentality man. Yeah, it's just those guys are They're crazy, I know, hyper.
Speaker 5: Competitive, but not against anyone else.
Speaker 1: Yeah they're not.
Speaker 2: They're they're hyper competitive, but like against the climate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: He invited Jewels up to his spot in malibur to do some Jalen Brown underwater weightlifting.
Speaker 1: Yea, he worked for Jalen Brown. I don't know. I just saw JB. Yeah, yeah, you know that stuff. I saw that stuff like handstands, Yeah, jumps, he does that with him that.
Speaker 2: I was looking at all this stuff, like I wish I would have done that because it's not there's no impact on your legs and you can still work on explosion and keep that nervous system popping.
Speaker 1: So I don't know if it's placed plays in football, but basketball, a lot of guys don't know how to breathe, and I think that one part of that is learning how to control Like you're in so if you're doing handstands into this and that, you obviously you can't breathe when you're under water, So controlling your breath over the course of eighty two one hundred and three offensive possessions in a game, you have to be able to, like learn how to breathe. Yeah, all those moments and stuff like that. I work with so many kids, you'd be surprised how many hold their breath when they do things. It's like, guys, guys like you have to learn teams yourself how to breathe because it's it's a long game. It's a really long game here, and if you're not when the ball goes out of bounds, you're not taking two or three deep breaths when you're there's a free throw, You're not catching your breath, You're not doing any of that. Eventually your body just wears.
Speaker 2: Out, wears out, and then the fourth quarter you're gonna get to your toast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm a big I'm a big Jalen Brown fan like his uh. I loved his approach. He always believed that he was gonna be great man. He always wasn't just talk like he worked And so like, if I'm I I that's all I care about when it comes to my athletes that I like and look up to. Are you a worker? Are you doing what you're like? You might have a good game of bad game. You might do this and that on the court off the court, but like, if you have a consistency with your work, I like I I look at that and say, like that's something that you should follow that this is a job. Yeah for sure.
Speaker 2: You know, we were getting paid a lot of money to do something we love.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why not do the most you can? For sure? And out here I do feel like it's different. Sports are different, Like there is a sense that you have to it's okay. There's two things. There's the fans that go in the current climate of the of the sports in the New England area. And there's also like the people of the past who have done it before and you have to live up to that legacy. So there's two things going on. So it's it takes yourself like a little bit out of the equation. I really felt this year, and I think coach Joe Mizzoula did a really good job of it. Is he made it about like the Celtic legacy, the Celtic fan and the New England area. And when you start playing for things more than yourself and you work for things more than yourself, then I think you get further than just working for yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's well, very well said. That's very well said. I mean when I got here, I just hated fucking here in Belichick talk about the other three Super Bowls they won before we want so.
Speaker 1: I was like, fuck that? How much? How often? Like daily? On the daily?
Speaker 2: He would just it wouldn't be daily, but he'd always show an example, you know of like if there's a tackle t a TG pool play and we didn't you know, blow it up the right way.
Speaker 1: He'd bring up anythink Bruski did it like that, he'd throw it, you know what I mean? And you know so.
Speaker 2: But there is that standard and there's that legacy, especially in this city for sure, you know, in this area that you have to live up to for sure, you know forever. All right, Jackie, let's set the stage.
Speaker 1: All right, We're gonna want to get into these Pistons. It's game time, Baby.
Speaker 3: This was a Pistons team that went fifty four and twenty eight, first year of the Larry Brown era up there in Detroit. Brown got swept by the Nets in the previous playoffs the year before, and they had the second overall pick this year.
Speaker 2: Dark O Baby said that it was the Wallace trade.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she washed the difference maker. Yeah, turned the turned them around.
Speaker 3: Started the year thirty three and sixteen, struggled a little bit in febus, but then got new life when Rashid came on over won sixteen to nineteen after that trade. Tough defense like those like those bad Boys teams always got. This is an all time tough guy team too.
Speaker 1: I feel like, yeah, they when they hit their stride, it was the best defensive team I've ever played against man. But it was like they were just they had everything you could want in a defensive team, and they're smart, they're physical, Like they had guys coming off the bench, so going like at time when they got Rashid Wallace, it took a little bit of time, but once they hit their stride. I think they had a stretch of games where they didn't give up more than eighty points. It was like seventeen games in a row or some crazy number, and we were two of those games. So these guys were so good and things that they did were really difficult to go against.
Speaker 3: No, I mean these like this is a team of like we were watching the tape bag like Chauncey Billups, Remulton, Tayshawn Prince, Ben Wallace, Rashid while it's like this is a classic Pistons are team, I.
Speaker 1: Mean this classic. They want a championship. Yes, this was a crazy era. And then what could you see Larry Brown evolve this team in the year that you saw that as well? Yeah, Larry Brown is like a teacher and he loves defense, and it was like perfect and you could tell, like you could tell the players love Larry Brown. And so when you have a hard ass coach and the players like run through a wall for him, that's a dangerous thing to go against because there's like a lot of hard asses where the coaches the players can check that shit out, right, But these guys, for whatever reason, they love Larry Brown. And so it was. And he's a good coach. He's a tough coach and he loves to teach. I did all the pre draft workouts. I went twenty seven pre draft workouts. I did some twice. I learned more about basketball and that Larry Brown pre draft work It wasn't like he was working us out to evaluate our talent. He just can't help himself, like he wants to teach the game. Yeah, and that was when it was in one and that was he was with Filly at the time. Yeah, with Iverson. Yeah, I mean it's crazy.
Speaker 3: I think Larry Brown been coaching since nineteen sixty something like sixty five and was coaching Memphis with Penny up until a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: Lifer Man, Lifer, that's one of those coaches for life.
Speaker 3: And speaking of coaches, this team had two future head coaches, Darvin Ham with the Lakers and Hubert Davis with You and c So some more names on this team.
Speaker 1: Wow, smart dudes. So we were talking. You said, Rashid Wallace was like there he was the final piece. Now piece, It's like, don't I uh, I could be wrong, tell me if I am. But middle linebacker of you guys, right, Like in the middle linebacker kind of sets a tone, like he tells he has to call the plays and he says the formation. He said, this is what's going on. Like, Rashid Wallace has got a great mouth. He's like if he's back in the back line, he knows everything that's going on and he's talking about it. He ain't just quiet or anything like that. He's cerebral. He's smart. He stays ahead of the game. And so if you were going to on a sideline pick and roll, he'll be like, sideline pick and roll, watch pin down week side. You know, so you're thinking about you're a guard, you're facing that way. I'm Rashid Wallace. I'm telling you, like, hey, sideline pick and roll, Jules is gonna be a pin down. Just s down his hip and then play would happen and he would do it like that and that would be every single play. And then when a play did break down. He's gifted enough to get up there, block a shot and get a rebound. You know, So it's just him defensively, it's a difference maker. Ben Wallace is really good. Oh but Ben Wallace is more like he's raw and he's and he's good and block a shot and a rebound. He's tough. Shee Wallace is like, and Garnett's a little bit like this. He's like they're spitting out the coverages and they're spitting out what's happening before it happens. And when you're going against guys like that, you just got to be good, Like you're just you're not gonna get open, You're not gonna get tricked, You're not gonna do you just got to be nasty. You've got to be able to make a play when things like you know, go to shit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean playing in a locker room scale like Genots years later, but with KG and Rashid Wallace, Like, how the heck was that?
Speaker 1: So Rashee Wallace that year was phenomenal, like offensively and you know, he could carry a team early on he was coming off the bench. But you got the true sense of it in the playoffs. Right when the playoffs rolled around, I was like, whoa, this guy. These two guys are on a different level, right, And that was a year that we kind of sucked from Christmas Day to the end of the season, and then those two guys just like like just owned the defense and Kendrick Perkins was back there. It was really good defensively. So they are the reasons why we kind of coasted all the way to the finals and then Perk got hurt and we not winning in twenty ten. But you could those guys and Garnett's an everyday guy, but Rashie Wallace and the levels that he went to is a big reason why. And the levels that that group went to, it's the reason why we got back to the final. I still think if Perk didn't get hurt, we're winning that thing. Yeah, I mean Lakers deserved it, Like they came out, they they rebounded the ball, they did what they needed to do. But but no, it was, uh, that was a great series. That was that was It went to that series. That was That was when I first got here. Damn. It was interesting to see I think one guy in particular, Pagasol, right like in two thousand and eight, he just wasn't ready for it right, and you could tell, like, I don't know if he was intimidated by Garnett, he just wasn't ready. But the palgasol that he won championships next year and then he's coming back to play us. That was a completely different guy. And like at the time, I could be pissed about it, but like, you got to show respect when a guy gets destroyed and comes back and avenges his demons. I got nothing but love for that man, even though it cost us a championship and whatever whatever it was, But like, yeah, back to him, man, Like that's not an easy thing to do when you get your ass whooped by a guy, Like it's not easy to come back and like eventually avenge what happened. It's not. It's not easy. No, a lot of people just some most people just walk away or they just can't or they just like they're you always going to have their number. I'll tell you what. In this game before mister big shot Chauncey Billups and all that stuff, Jason Kidd owned him and and when they got Rashid Wallace, the tide shifted a lot. You can look at we swept them. You can just watch that matchup. Kid own that matchup. But from this point on, and I want to say, like in particular, it felt like this year and this game, like from that point on, like Billups like did his thing against Kid. But before that it was like a drastic difference between the two. Kid was getting up in age too. Yeah he had to knee. Yeah he was a young kid.
Speaker 2: No, we were playing him, you know, ten years earlier in fucking hooping up and shit, or was one NBA jam when he was in the Phoenix. I played hooping up one year in Oakland.
Speaker 1: Uh you like it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: We went to the finals and what you're a hoop game like football player playing hoop y?
Speaker 1: Gotcha? Gotcha aggressive? Gotcha? All right? Jackie break down to these nets. Yeah, these nets.
Speaker 3: Another awesome defensive team forty seven and thirty five. J Kidd of course signed the extension before the season. Also had Alonso Morning, but had had to hang it up shortly into the season with the kidney condition. But he stayed on the bench all year, right.
Speaker 1: Ooh, I'm not sure if he was there at the end.
Speaker 3: Okay, because I feel like he was. I feel like he was in street clothes on the bench for this one, but maybe he was. Maybe he was, but more resilient this team with changing head coaches. After forty two games, Byron Scott got fired and they brought Lawrence Frank.
Speaker 1: I like Byron and I Lawrence, but I was like, it was our third year together, two finals, and now like they were starting to see some cracks in the armor. Right, whatever it was, we were just a five hundred team and whatever the reason, you can see twenty two and twenty and they decided to make a coaching change.
Speaker 2: I've never been around a coaching change, let alone in the NBA. Coach comes in in the middle of a fucking season.
Speaker 1: He was the assistant coach, so he so is he just run the same shit you guys are running, or little like just a little bit more counters. Lawrence is really prepared. He was really prepared. He kind of took over and like if it's just our scout, our scouts were longer. Everything was like that, right, and I think, you know, like I liked the simplicity in which Byron Scott coached that, like he really wanted to get the ball to the kid and run, really wanted to run the offense simply and just like make plays, you know, like I like that. I like that a lot. We started fourteen and oh right, but after that we were just five hundred, you know, so we just had a really good like we really perked up fourteen and oh it's hard to do. Yeah, you get a new coach, it's hard to do. And so but we were battle tested, like Richard Jefferson was coming to his own. Kenyon Martin was awesome. You know. I think really what this came down to and the reason why we lost, I think a lot of it had to do with this game and we went to triple overtime and kids knee it just couldn't recover after game five, Like he just wasn't the same guy in six, and he really wasn't the same guy in seven. You got knee problems on that hard court. That's a lot, yeah, cause you got to play both ends, not even but just the impact. You know, you can't you can't like like you can't go to the sideline with the defenses on the field and like get it right, yeah, you know, or activation like you're just in the game.
Speaker 2: You're in Yeah, now can you can you for gen Z listeners, can you sum up how this net team was what was there like Camp now? Who's their team camp now? Because it I mean, you guys went to the finals last year.
Speaker 1: Well, like early on we were a fast breaking team, like so you could say we were like the Phoenix Suns back in the day, right, But we were a good defensive team that kind of like struck like. We were really versatile and switchable. So that's good in the in the league, so you don't have to be in rotation. And then offensively, we just get the ball to the kids, so it'd be rebound, kid and go, so we'd get a lot of easy baskets in transition. Kittles was a flyer, Jefferson was a flyer, Keny Martin was a flyer. We just had guys like that, so that that kind of stummed up a team. Not a great half court team, not a great executing team, just didn't didn't shoot it well enough, didn't execute well enough, whatever the reason, but really good in transition and really good defensively, create steals, create have it great turnovers and go what are these what are these new Jersey fans? Like? How's that prudential? It's funny. It started out nothing and as it became a thing like they would show up for the playoffs. But when they showed up for the playoffs, he was loud, you know, great, But it wasn't like I remember playing in the games and I first got there, it'd be like five thousand people there, and like, you never see five thousand people in the NBA game. Yeah, I mean I don't. I don't care how bad you are. We have the best record in the league and it just starts to pick up. So it's just just a different We were at the Continental Airlines Arena, like right by met Life and some shopping mall now or something like that, and so but yeah, you don't. You just don't see like half full arenas anymore, right, So I think that's kind of started. But you know, kid was great to watch, and I think people liked watching us play because we were fast. That's what they liked about it.
Speaker 2: Richard Jefferson, man, he this is young Richard Jefferson too.
Speaker 1: He was a flyer. Like you said, yeah, pack.
Speaker 2: Ten guy, Arizona, right, he went Arizona, Dyeah, pack twelve. Now, how sad is that packed twelve?
Speaker 1: I don't pack once. Once you go to college and start and it's not just the institutions, the money, the players. It's like, it's not college anymore. It's pro. It's pro. It's pro. Kids are staying in high school for like six years and then going to prep school just so they can get some nil money when they get there, because like some eighteen year old kid is not getting in IL money. So it's it's way different now.
Speaker 2: But no Pac twelve rip. I'm West Coast kid. Loved it, loved watching. When I got out here, I'd put on fucking you know, the a PAC twelve game that started at ten eleven o'clock at night. Bill Walton's over here talking about fucking mushroom. I love Bill. I love Bill Walton.
Speaker 1: Watch He's great. All right, pe You got any Bill Walton Star? Yeah? Because Bill Bill was a friend because he would come and do all the games, right, so we get to know him. And then, uh, funny thing one time I was at All Star and we interviewed Bill Walton, right, So like this interview has been great. We're going back and forth. You say something, I say something with Billy. See, so Bill, how is man? My life is so great? That's the greatest life I've ever had. At this point in time, I couldn't live a greater life than this. And I think back to the days of John Wooden and his life. It was great and he made my life great. And he just went off for like twenty seven minutes. Yeah you're Bill Walton. Impression is bi and you're like, like, what was like playing in Boston? Boston is the greatest city to ever have a basketball team. And if I never ever thought I would ever finish the sheets, and I finished the sheets in two times and both those times I was blessed enough to win a championship, and one of them is right here in Boston. It's it's easy, like the easiest interview ever is and you have to interrupt him. You have to be like wait till he stops, and like Phil, tell me about this guy and he'll go on to the next He was great. He's like you know what you know what you do and you interview him and you go away and be like, man, I gotta be happier, Like I just got to be a happier dude. That's why I love to listen to him.
Speaker 2: Get bitch at work all day throwing pack twelve games.
Speaker 1: Missing bro, when is this white Mamba nickname come along. Oh my gosh. So I uh was in Chicago, right, and and the guy who does my job for the Celtics is Stacey King. And so what I did. Kobe had this commercial where he just like, there's this car going down the street and he jumps over a car. I don't know if he did or didn't, but that's what it looked like, right. So, and I loved his shoes, like I just all I hooped in is Kobe's right, I loved it them. Yeah, they're great, phenomenal. Right, So I came and made a pair, and they're like they got like a snake skin on him right now, everyone's where I think they're the Kobe six's. And so I made him their white white snake skin, a couple of laces. Red I was playing for the Bulls. I slapped him down on the on the card table in the plane. I don't know what kind of planes you guys flying, but we have card tables right where people face each other slap him down, like, man, he is the white Mamba. One point ohs right, that's all I said. And I take him and I go to the back. So that game, we fly to DC I have a good game and Stacey King just goes off like, oh, the White Mamba, the man, the myth, the legend, like this is the White Mamba. And by the time I got back to Chicago, like White Mambo was hysteria, Like there were T shirts, there were giant heads with like a snake body like you know, cause it was like a thing like put me in the game at the end of the game, right, And the only thing I really I don't regret a lot, but I do regret this. Like when I was here in Boston and the crowd would cheer for me to go in, I didn't like embrace it. I was always like, you know, like you guys should be cheering for Garnet and all this stuff, right, but I knew I was getting up there in age. So in Chicago, man, I really embraced it. Like I didn't care what the score was. I was going out there to get a bucket, right, I'm getting a bucket for the people. I'm shooting the bad shot I'm doing. I'm telling the best player, yo, clear out, Yo, set me a screen right here, like I'm going all in on this, and I'm like, you got to give the people what they want, right, So then Thibodeau will be walking up and down. He's always gruffy, and he would look back and I'm like that we up twenty let's go. Come on, man, you know these people ain't going They're gonna keepooing you until you put me in, right, Like, I'm all all in on air, right. That is something I would never do, never do before, right, But now I'm like, man, like you got it. This is like, you have to understand. The people want to see me at the end of game. They don't care about Derrick Rose at that point. This is what is about formation scall in exactly, exactly exactly. And then, like he looked at the score, I'm like, twenty two. If you didn't know how to do the map, it's easy. Now put me in it. Put me in.
Speaker 2: It's such an epic it's it's an epic nick name. I love using it too. Yeah, it's good, So good Jack, Let's get the game.
Speaker 3: Leading up to this game, we touched on it a little bit earlier, but the Nets swept the Stephan Marbury Nicks in the first round. The Pistons got by the Bucks four to one. Starberry shout out of Starberry, uh, and then they each they held court at home. Pistons won the first two in Detroit.
Speaker 1: But go to that eighty eight sixty half time that we have time score, that is we had. So you see how like we a lot of people like going into the games like, man, we can't beat this team, right because we had fifty six points and eighty points, but then we bounce back, right, So that's where we're at right now.
Speaker 9: Oh.
Speaker 3: I know it's a different era and it's pre the proliferation threes, but holding a team to fifty six points in an NBA game is just like I know, I'm I'm thinking nowadays.
Speaker 1: But if you watch the playoffs, right, and you watch when the refs allow physical play for everyone, it's fine. I don't I know that the players now are better. I'm not stupid, Like everybody knows they're better, and you talk about the escapes or whatever it is, right, but when you watch, if the refs call a physical game, the scores aren't going to be like this, right, but they're gonna be under one hundred points because physical play leads to like a grimy game. You don't you don't sprint up the floor. It's harder to get open, Like there's a lot that goes into it. And so back then, game was physical, so it's hard to score, and I think I like it. I I'd rather watch seventy eight eighty than watch one forty one thirty five. That's just me though, Like I'm waking up and down jacking up shots. That's fine, But I like I like watching physical play and everything being hard and tough and difficult. Just like when when you guys run to plan and you get five yards, that's a big play. It's like, man, we had to work hard for that five yards. We have to work hard for buckets. When we score fifty six points and lose seventy eight to fifty six, yeah they're both getting paid, and yeah you're going to get suros buggets here, no possession, buttons buckets.
Speaker 3: Should we get into this game a little bit here, let's go all right, So we start off. This thing was back and forth pretty much all game, especially in the first half again another one of these these halves.
Speaker 1: We were talking about forty four to forty three at the half, Uh, the nets are behind.
Speaker 3: Then we fast forward to the fourth quarner when the act really gets going.
Speaker 1: The eighties.
Speaker 3: Nets are up eighty seven eighty five or thirteen seconds left. Missed three out.
Speaker 1: Of four free throws.
Speaker 3: I know you got the big Richard Jefferson block right before that that kind of looks like it got iced it. And then Chauncey comes down and nails a forty three footer at the buzzer.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So going into up to this point, right, I played in the first half, right, and I got four points. Yeah, And I like, by the way, that's my role, that's I was. I'm good with that. And I played really well against the net the knicks, and now like I made two buckets. So I'm like, look, I did my job right, and I if everyone is good and healthy, I'm not playing in the second half. That's just how it goes, right, And then you know, you keep going and the Chauncey Billups, we're about to ic the deal. All we gotta do is make one free throw in Chauncey billups a half court shot. Now we're going to overtime. And you know, I'm well aware of the fouls, just like you're well aware of the third downs, right, So I'm well aware of the fowls and I'm like all right, so i gotta stay locked in and I'm ready, but I'm not I'm not scared. I'm like, I'm not scared of the moment and it's game five, and I'm not scared of the magnitude of it. And I'm not scared that the pisions are a beast like it's hard to score on them. I'm like, if this does now, I'm not rooting for Kenya Martin or Rodney Rogers or Aaron Williams to get in foul trouble at this point, I'm not rooting for them, but I'm ready if it does happen. Yeah, you got it. That's what you have to have, that mindset for sure. And eight eight guys fouled out in this game. Physical, physical, physical. That is a scrappy matcheah.
Speaker 3: Oh big time. And this is just the end of regulation. We got three overtimes left, get to the third overtime. The big three at the corner forty one seconds left, scoal nails it to put the nail on the coffin.
Speaker 1: Mark, So let me, let me, let me free wind a little bit. Let me tell you so I think it was Rodney Rogers. This is the funniest shit, right, this is the funniest shit. Rodney Rogers fouls out right, and Lawrence Frank, who I love Lawrence, Right, he's on my ass, but I'm back like he was my assistant coach when I got to when I got drafted by the Nets. He was the one working with me and watching film together and riding me every day. Right now he's the head coach, right. So Lawrence Frank looks down the bench, right, and I'm like, Kenyon's out, Aaron. Rodney Rogers just fouled out. There's no one left, right, and I'm playing like really good ball, like I'm played well against the Knicks. I played. I'm two for two in this game, like there's no one else. He looks down at me and he goes he was pissed that. I was like, that's all I got is Scalabrini. So I was like, I was heated. I got fucking heated. At that point, I got up and I was like, when I talk about heated, I was because in my mind, I'm thinking, so I played well against the Knicks. I'm two for two in this game. There's nobody else. And if you don't believe in me, now you ain't never gonna believe in me because I don't know if I could play any better than this. I'm being honest, like I was cut from the ninth grade in high school. Like I'm not sure that I can play any better than what I'm doing right now. So if you don't like me now, then you just don't like me. Right. So I got up. I was heated. So I go into the game, and this whole overtime performance, my sole focus was was fuck Lawrence Frank for not believing in me. So I am killing the pistons with corner threes and everything, and I gotta be honest with you. I went and watched. I didn't see none of them guys out there. I didn't see none of the defense out there. I'm knocking down threes, and every time I'm flexing, I'm looking and I'm thinking of my mind, like this motherfucker didn't believe in me. How are you not going to believe in me? So this performance was because my coach didn't believe in me. Freaking Lawrence Frank when I was playing. When I was playing, and it would be like, no, no, he knows about it. And that's my boy. He's my boy now and I told the story. He cracked up, right, but like like it'll be like you got your break. You caught like I don't know, uh, eight passes in a game, and then third and long came and they're just like, nah, you ain't going in the game. You're like, what the fuck?
Speaker 5: This is what I do, dude, this sign Adela.
Speaker 1: That was my career. You're my rookie year, my rookie year.
Speaker 2: I ball out in the playoff game Walker Tours ACL Yeah, that's right, and so I balled out. I had two touchdowns at like eight catches. We got our fucking teeth kicked in by the Ravens that year in the first round. All off season, I'm sitting there like like you're saying, oh, playing the best, I'm gonna be a fucking baller. I have so many more opportunities. I had seven catches for the next two years. I mean, I was so fucking pissed. Someone had to murder someone, a back injury and some broken groins for me to get my goddamn opportunity.
Speaker 1: But I never let it go. No, no, But that was like that you had to be thinking, like, dude, you had to do exactly any better than what I'm doing round now.
Speaker 2: But I know that I know that that coach hate fire. Oh yeah, it's real, it's real, it's real. You look like I know exactly what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, this this whole like everyone thinks it's the Pistons. And by the way, if it was the Pistons, maybe I would have bricked all those shots, right, but it wasn't. It was like it was like the fact that like I didn't think, I like I really in my mind said like, I don't know if I can pay any better than what I'm doing, Like I am shooting the ship out of the ball right now, right my release is fast. I don't know if I can play any better. And when he did that, it was like this crazy fire goose bumps, like you motherfucker right now, I'm gonna I am this this, I'm gonna go off right now. What if what if he Jedi mind tricked you into that he might know I have to be said, I didn't even know I did it. You didn't even know that he was like owned it.
Speaker 4: See that.
Speaker 2: Come on, coach, you should have said I did that on purpose, because I know I've been working with you you played better fucking angry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well there's no doubt about that. There's no doubt about that. So when I knew, let me tell you, when like this was the in there, there was this fun moment, right, So, and you know, like when you play when things are fucking slow, it's you feel like your flash Gorge Superman or something like that. So, so Kid drove to the basket and it's weird because your mind, it thinks in normal speed. You don't actually think slow. Your mind thinks, but like the seconds take like five seconds. So Kid threw the ball at it like, and I had the ball. I was like ready to catch it. While the ball was in the air, I could see the seams right, and I looked up at the clock and I could see the clock switch from two and almost like it like you could see it switch to one like like that, and I and I go, damn, I got to shoot this quickly, Like I'm not going to have time to catch it, drop it and shoot it. So I'm just gonna catch it high and shoot it. So I caught the ball in the air and I shot it. So I caught it and I shot it, and the ball rattled out and flew out. I walked back. I was running back and said, holy shit, I've never felt this before. I am fucking in the zone right now, and I think I made a three and then that happened, So like whatever happened to my mind? Like and I think like the studs, the Jordan's the studs, Like, I think that's how they live and that's why they do the things that are impossible, and it makes it look easy to them because I think like everything they do is in slow motion. Yeah. So I experienced that too, the heighten the highest level one time. Other times I've done some things, but that was like I could not believe way that way that that transpired. And that was when I just shut it off and just went off sky.
Speaker 2: I remember having that zone in basketball in high school once, did you. I swear to god, I just one of those days where anything you were shooting, everything was and I was on like the Frostshoft team, like shitty team JV team. But I remember just shooting and like you said, I saw the seams of the ball. Yeah, when it metated. I remember doing that a couple of times. That was that was the what about in football? Saying oh yeah, I've been on the zone. You because the spin, like for me, it looks like it's spinning, it's fast.
Speaker 1: You was it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you try and look at the star, you know, the very tip of the point of really you try to look at that.
Speaker 1: I felt that zone in.
Speaker 2: Super Bowl fifty three, where like I just felt everything. Any route I moved, I was bopping everyone. They were changing matchups on me. So I was, you know, routing up different guys ball like when you pluck the ball and it's just I've I've felt that a few times. That's like the most euphoria you could ever have, you know, when you're in that and you're just it's like like a superhero.
Speaker 1: You feel like you're in a superhero. Yeah. That's the best. It's the best. Now, Jack, let's get back in heck. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So to wrap this thing up, final score one twenty seven one twenty Scale dropped nine and ot RJ finished with thirty one h SCALE finished with seventeen, and we go back to Jersey up three to two, trying to close this thing out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then it all went away. I'm sorry. I would tell you right now, like what happened is I made the scouting report, and I didn't see the hoop for the next two games, Like every time I caught the ball, it was like they were right there. So that's that was it. They didn't let that zone.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 1: I was like, I couldn't even see the hoop. I couldn't see the hoop. I was afterthought. And then I became like a featured guy and it was literally like I it and all I thought was people in my face. And by you know, four minutes to that, I was back to being on the bench man and they and they we had a we had a decent lead. We had a decent lead in that game, but they just chipped away there this game. In the last in game six, for like five minutes, no one scored, No one scored. It was is back and forth, miss mans, miss man. No one could score. And then Richard Hamilton drives left pump, fake pump, fake pivot, pump, ke pump, fake pivot, pump, fake shoots it over Jason kidd up by six. That was it. And then game seven we got smoked. Remember that was Rip. That's your boy.
Speaker 2: I saw a Rip at a concert recently. Yeah, well he went to Yukon. Yeah, so he's he's like a big Pats fan. I guess, oh yeah, And he would always say that him and Brady used to hang out here and there when they.
Speaker 1: Won the ship this year, got it and what was that concert? It was me it was some rap con I forget, but he was cool as funck. Yeah I played Chicago. Yeah, real lay back, real laid back man, and then go ahead. I'm just saying, like later on we end up with Boston and played them, and you know the ray Allen rip Hamilton both from Yukon battles, and both guys come off screens, and I mean ray Allen was just fried. Like his whole arms were just like rip, like just there's nails and scratches, and like those guys are just you, not only it's like it's different, like those guys got to run around screens. They got to chase each other around screens. But then when you do get an open shot, you gotta knock that. You gotta knock it down. Yeah, that's that's a hard thing to do.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like the field goal. It reminds me of a last shot situation we call it in football. Okay, It's it's where you have the ball before half, and you're trying to suck down as much time as you can off the clock so you can get that ten point swing.
Speaker 1: You kick the field goal.
Speaker 2: You know, we'd always say, you know, great job of executing taking off the time, but it all doesn't mean anything unless you make the kick.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, Yeah, I got it. It's like that, like the shot. You do all the work for the shot. Gotta make the shot. Yeah, I got to hit it.
Speaker 3: Maybe you gotta get around all those screens, got to get to your spot, gotta knock you down.
Speaker 1: But was up Jason kidding his knee edge? I know, man, I remember that man, he had the microfracture. Yeah, right, you put the holes in the marrow bleeds through and you create a new cartilage. Right. It's like like he he ended up like having a long career. I played twenty some years, right, But you should see He'll tell you like he does his his preparation auhor for the thing that we were talking about earlier, just about I got to get in every day and do my preparation to play, you know, and he does. As you get older, you spend a lot more time just like preparing yourself to just to play like twenty minutes. You know, you gotta work so much harder when you get older. Yeah, but you're smarter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean that's what I They've tried to give me a micro surgery. That's why I retired because I was thirty four years old. I saw the whole medial side of my knee wore out. Yeah, and so I tore the root of my meniscus and that's what holds the meniscus down. So they were like, this was before my last season. They're like, we can go in and we can give you microfracture surgery. It's a twelve month recovery, or you can try to play a pain. I tried to play the pain and then after that I had to hang it up.
Speaker 1: Here's bad. Yeah, with it hard for you at first?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean yeah, it was definitely hard because you're so accustomed to the routine, the life. I mean, we've had the same life since we were eight years old, where you go to school, you come home, you go to practice, you eat dinner, you do it again. Now the school's replaced with football school where you're installing, and it's that kind of but I've had that same life so of course, you get I was hurt, but I was also emotionally and physically exhausted for that year where I couldn't even walk until the Friday the next week, you know, and then I had to get up to play Sunday, and then you know, the anxiety and of having the standard that you've put out on the field for you know, five seven years at that point when I was in my you know, my prime to like, you don't even look like the same guy on the film, you know what I mean. So I was like so beat up mentally and my ego was hurt, and the pain there was actual pain, where like as soon as I retired, I was like it was like something got lifted off of me.
Speaker 1: You know. I was content. We won three Super Bowls, I had a Super Bowl MVP.
Speaker 2: I exceeded everything I ever thought I could do, you know, So I was I was.
Speaker 1: I was cool with that and content with that. But I like hated the.
Speaker 2: Game for like the first year out, you know, just because I felt like shit, Yeah, like it eats you up and it spits you out, like you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: You felt worse than you felt playing, Yeah, holy shit.
Speaker 2: You know, and then it wasn't until I started feeling good. Yeah, my body start and that's when I started missing the game.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It was like a year and a half, two years later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then you're like, you go up on the field and kicking the ball around my daughter.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh, I still got run. Yeah yeah, you know. I man, I do miss that ship, you know what I mean? But it was it was crazy. Do you miss it now? I had like mine was different, Like I I wasn't good enough, right, Like I wasn't probably good in the last four years I played by somehow I got a job, right, But but then I had some opportunities to go play overseas and then you know, I'm very opportunistic like in life, right, So, and I just do things, you guys, aiden sets this up, I'm gonna do it, like I don't know, this could turn into something and it's gonna be great if I can. I just chop it up with you, like I don't know. This is how life is for me, right. So, Tommy Heinsen was getting up there in age when he was doing the Celtic games, and I know he wasn't traveling. So I'm talking like the day I lost to the Philadelphia seventy six ers. Derek Roseters his ACL We were set to play the Celtics in the second round of the playoffs, like we were a one seed, they were a four or five. They we won, we were supposed to play. I had all my boys lined up, like, Yo, we're going to hang out. This is what we're gonna do. I'm gonna come into town.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I got the game, but it is what it is, right, And so we lost. So I was like, man, I still want to hang out with my boys. So I called NBC and said, I want to work the series. I know your team and I know the seventy six ers. So I had the TV gig that was available, and so I started doing that. I liked it. I was pretty good at it, you know, just I kept it real. It's basketball or whatever, right, And so I had that opportunity. I could have went overseas, and then my wife was pregnant with at that time would be my son, third kid, and she just basically told me I'm not going overseas. Yeah. So I'm like, well, I got this job. I like, but I but I'd rather keep playing because of my ego. It's all it was all ego. It wasn't it wasn't logical, it wasn't like it was just all like, nah, man, I'm a hooper. This is what I do. But the smartest decision I've ever made, like this, this thing is I could last for forty years, right, And I'm glad. I like like it. And I went around just playing hoop everywhere. So I was hurt at first that I had to stop, and I was like angry I had to stop, But then I know the hoop was good. And then I'll tell you what happened. The second year, I take a job with the Golden State Warriors, and I started playing pick up with them. And on Monday, you play, those guys play four days Monday to Thursday, and they take the weekends off and they come back Monday. I was nice, like, I held my own. I was hanging with Steph Curry and David Lee and Draymond Green. I was holding my own. But then Thursday rolls around. I can't move and those guys are getting better, and I'm like, whoa man? Like I can't I literally cannot move my feet at all. And so that was when I was like really content, content with the whole thing, like I'm not even good enough to play. Before that I thought I was, but playing against those guys, I was like really knowing, like I'm not good enough. I can't do it, Like it's just even if I wanted to, it would be too hard. And then you got that there's that place that you were just talking about the amount of work it takes just to be fucking average, like of course just to free, just to fucking suck. It was like I'd have to dedicate eight hours a day just to be a twelfth man on a team. Like it's not worth it, Like do something else. That's exactly how it was for me, Jackie, wrap it up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So the Pistons go on to beat the Lakers in the NBA Finals. Scal spins his next season with the Nets, then comes over to the Celtics selties yes right, and wins an NBA title.
Speaker 1: Fuck yeah, yeah, I went on a stretch there in college. I lost to Duke, then we went to the finals, lost to the Lakers. Then we went to the finals again, lost to the Spurs. Then we played the Pistons they won the championship. Then I think the following year, who wonted I guess it would be the Spurs at that point. So I like lost to like four straight champions, right, But that team was a really good team, a little really underrated group, and they were they deserved it. I don't care what anybody says about anything, like that team was really good. Rashie Wallace made a big difference, and I was I was happy I got a chance to even be in something like that. That's it's crazy, the only one one. The Spurs were good though, that's like the Duncan Era and they just went back and forth, right, and then like I'm not saying, I'm not saying I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I felt like they were better than Lebron's team and somehow, like I felt like Lebron got every call in that in a series against them, and then Lebron ended up going to the finals and they got smoked by the Spurs. But I thought, I thought a Piston Spurs. It's like one of those things where for whatever reason, Piston Spurs had no ratings. But I thought it was the greatest finals. Yeah, you know, like it was like everything was hard. Everything inbounding the ball was hard, like so so I just loved that series, but it just didn't look like like people just did weren't for whatever reason, they just didn't like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the freaking the Spurs kind of like the Patriots coming out on top pop Baby.
Speaker 1: They figure it out, they figure it out. What what was? How many? I thought they've been to eleven Super Bowls like the Tom Brady era since that era to now they were they went, we went to he went to ten. He's been to Tampa. That's one with Tampa Bay or ten with the Patriots.
Speaker 3: So three oh four or one lost three eleven? Yeah, yeah, eleven all time for the Patriots.
Speaker 1: That is hard to do.
Speaker 2: Man, it was like one every It was like one every It was like he was going into a super Bowl like every third year.
Speaker 1: Second is two and a half years.
Speaker 8: There's some crazy stat that his winning percentage in the AFC Championship games.
Speaker 5: Is higher than or was higher than his completion.
Speaker 8: He was more likely to have a past be incomplete than he was to miss an AFC Championships.
Speaker 1: Unreal, that's crazy, unreal. Then you go to the Celts, you get a you got a ship though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the boys that was sick, especially with the Big Three that was such a net man.
Speaker 1: I don't I don't know how it is, but he walks in the room. It's different, man, Like everywhere he the locker room, the weight room, the practice, he doesn't. You don't fuck around.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: He's now. He's a great off the court, great guy, great guy, cared about everything, cared about the twelfth Man. He cared about my daughter who was four, like he cared about everybody's family. It was real, not like, hey, what's up, how's your family?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: It was like legit right, But he was all business, all business when he was playing basketball at the facility, and that stuff is just like margins in the professional sports are so small. Garnet walks in and everyone's one percent better that month, and they improved one percent every month for a season. Because of Garnett, we're a whole lot better at the end of the season, you know, or or a drill is one percent better. It's just it's consistency and how much he changes everything. But I've been around good players teammates. Pierce's great kid is amazing. Derek Rose, nothing was like Kevin Garnett. Yeah, like the big brother. More than it's bigger than that, like a big brother, father, uncle, all that in one. I'm very impressive being around him for the three years. Very impressive human being.
Speaker 2: I've never got to kick it with him. Me and Paul got we've hung out a few.
Speaker 5: I mean I got well documented.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's well documented.
Speaker 2: Arrested slide came to a fucking start skinning hood hood slide anymore for Paul Pierce citizens We we go to this bar, We go to this place, and there's cops everywhere, and we start talking. I did like a hood slide. Some guy gets out of his car. We thought we got to.
Speaker 1: Await the dude in the car. You a hood slide, nice car, It was a bens. Oh my gosh. What would you do if some much hood slide? Did you? It depends on the hoodslide.
Speaker 5: Well, if they pulled it off, you would have been cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah you didn't a little humid in there that had a gene.
Speaker 1: It's stuck.
Speaker 5: You had.
Speaker 1: Hood slides don't go together.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you had your moment. You didn't.
Speaker 1: Capital didn't. This is goodness, Jack. We got any leftovers? No, I just uh, that was amazing. Uh.
Speaker 3: The only one I think scal better Celebration eight or twenty four twenty four better celebration.
Speaker 1: Wow, everything is bigger now. I feel everything is the only thing I would say is in O eight, I don't remember one cell phone. All you see it cell phone. Everybody's just like everyone lives life like peeking through their cell phone. You know, I'm not living the moment, buddy, I know. But so besides that. But no, and by the way, like you know, you've celebrated multiple Super Bowls, you got it takes experience, you got to know, like you know what I mean. Like I regretted the way I celebrated in a way. I wish I would have partied all night with the fans. You know that's just me. So No, it's a twenty four was and they did a great job. And like I said, everything is bigger now. I think it was too million people that showed up, crazy and younger, Like I don't remember that many young people out when I was maybe because I'm older. Yeah, they're out, they are out. They're out. Baby. Let's name the game. We'll be right back after this quick break. So this is Scalabrini game. This is everyone referred as the Scalabrini game. So it's the Scalabrini game, not the white mom at the time. Okay, yeah, let's go. Everybody would say, you remember the Brian Scalabrini game, and they'd be like, yeah, he went off on the pistons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and then that's the game. Let's score the game. Is this the greatest game of all time? Let's score it. The stakes of this game? Game five in a seven game series, seven game series, but it was this first round, so stas one to ten decimals.
Speaker 1: Okay, given the fact that both teams were the best teams in the East, right, even though Indiana had the best record in the East, I would say, it's like an eight, that's a good score.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, I'll go with I'll go with the seven point eight game five.
Speaker 3: Nothing on the line line yet I was in that same territory seven point one. But but he's a ball he's a ball guy. So what we got we matched seven point I did some point two.
Speaker 2: But you know, this is such a swing game for those those seven games series, so there's a little more important, Yeah.
Speaker 1: A little bit more, but it is a semie. But it's just the magnitude of those two teams. You know, the fact that they spanked us and we spanked them, and you know, like that game on the road, Oh man, you should have seem like Kid Rock was there talking ship to me. I was like running and down like I think Eminem was there. You know, Detroit Detroit real like grimy Doll the fans. So it was it wasn't. It wasn't like what you see in the NBA. Now. It was like there's dudes, you know, I think they had to be pimps and four coats and glass of piggy rings on what you doing? You know, like there were some real characters, real, yo, Detroit is real. Detroit is some real dogs.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 5: We had Robert Oriy on the show. He said Eminem was talking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they go they go at you. But what they don't understand is like that makes me like when I was a rookie, Like I told you that game I was in was I was spinning right, he was my first game, not my preseason No, it was a preseason game. I was spinning. It was going so fast and Latrell Spreewell started talking ship to me, and I was like, cool, I'm good now, if you're gonna take the time and talk ship to me. I belong you know before that, and he would have been like, nice shot. I would have been like the fact that he was going to take the time out of his day to talk shit to me. I mean, he's like, all right, I've been here before. I've been the white boy in the gym, if the only white boy before. I'm good with that role. I'm not good with the role I was just in when I don't believe I belonged out there. But I'm good Now. You got it.
Speaker 2: You gotta hey it's a white guy in sport. Oh yeah, you got you gotta be you gotta be able to handle it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Star power. We just talked about.
Speaker 2: Eminem This could be from team to Ambiyon's who was at the game star zero to ten.
Speaker 1: Six, Yeah, I mean, but it's a like you get like even like just the basketball players. I think probably Kid is the top thirty. So yeah, it's not loaded with not loaded with Mount rushmorees, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: That's a great that's a very honorable score. I'm gonna go with I was gonna go seven to four.
Speaker 1: Who's the stars? I mean, I grew I love I love that Detroit Pistons team. But they were a group.
Speaker 2: They were, but like that's still that that that team was just tough y oh yeah, and then they're a group.
Speaker 5: I like, man, I usually rack, what.
Speaker 1: Were you guys? Who are the stars? Kid Williams, I got, I got a funny ass Corliss Williamson story. So like he year one, like man, he destroyed me, destroyed me. That was my matchup right again in the game, and he was destroying me. It was the different words. He is destroying me and uh and I was like, man, I don't I can't even stop this guy. And I fouled him and he scored on me. I fouled him again. He's scored on me, and like I just subbed out. Like the coaches like the fuck was that right? Just your job is to stop the backup and they would just go at me right that whole year, my strength coach was like Corliss Williamson is in the weight room work and I had a picture Corlius Williamson and every day I worked it was Corlus Williams and he was like, I don't know how to stop. I started studying film. I learned how to work, like I learned how to prepare, so I started watching everything he did and people who did well against him. It was all setting the tone to to be like, this is what a pro does, not just for him, but for everybody. Next year, We're at the Meadowlands, which no one at the game. We're playing the Pistons. It's a preseason game. There's like it's quiet as hell. He gets the ball, I'm in the post. He bumps me. I hit the ball out of bounds and he and I stopped him. I'm like, yeah, motherfucker. Yeah, And everyone looks at me, like what's wrong? But that was my demon right there. Yeah. But I like, I've gone against dudes before and maybe they get me, but like, this was embarrassing the way he got me. And I was in my mind like like, people don't understand how much that meaningless possession meant to me. When I just like stopped him, you know, it was like the biggest moment. And I was like thirty pounds heavier and stronger and everything like that, and I was like, this is like the biggest moment of my life. Preseason game. Put your mind here, you got it those demons maybe so I don't. I don't know about you guys in the star power. But that's fine. Yeah, I was wild on this one.
Speaker 5: I had an eight point three Jack at eight point seven.
Speaker 1: All right, what's the gameplay? Zero to ten? Gameplay of the flow of the game back and forth? You guys went three overtime in their lives, like because because this was two defensive teams that don't score and we go one twenty seven to win to twenty. I thought the flow of this game was amazing. So I'm gonna say like eight and a half, eight and a half all night. Yeah. Yeah, it was shot making, tough defense, everything you would want. I'm going eight you guys, triple o t buzzer beater. It was. It was incredible because it wasn't that bullshit defense. It was legit.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Now you got to score the name of the game, the Scalabrini ten.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna go with the nine to one one. I'll take a nine one.
Speaker 3: I think I was wild here before I knew what we were calling.
Speaker 1: Lord to be a guy like me from where I came from, to have a fucking game named after him, I know, I know I was wrong. Starts this before we did.
Speaker 5: The Jack four, I had a five point five. I stand by my five point five.
Speaker 1: I don't even know the.
Speaker 10: Likely it is to have a game named after you when you're coming, when you're me.
Speaker 1: It's like it'd be like a street named after one of you. Motherfuckers.
Speaker 10: Man, I'm gonna be like, yo, you know what, I'm gonna give that ship a three.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, Tyler street breaking.
Speaker 7: I'm just saying, like, oh, Lebron came Tad, Come on, man.
Speaker 1: And I'm usually a glazer. Oh I'm sorry, I should be.
Speaker 10: Everyone else change Come on, Jack, I mean you understand of something like that happening, like you've.
Speaker 1: Got a better chance being struck by lightning. I didn't think of the nickname. I'm sorry. I screwed up.
Speaker 8: Okay, but this is cultural and this is gaze with you're up against.
Speaker 1: When you guys fucking watch you actually thought you can do it because you saw me do it. You don't think that when you watch Lebron, you don't think you see me. And I give hope to fucking millions of kids, show them where it stands on.
Speaker 5: So you're an eight point one two?
Speaker 1: Now that Jack eight point one two? Where does that stack up in all the games we've done?
Speaker 11: It is right beat right above kuld Bee versus mcgreor McGregor u f C twenty nine one, right below the two thousand and seven Western Conference Playoffs Game six Mas versus Warriors, and just below two thousand eleven NBA Finals Game six Mavericks versus Heat.
Speaker 5: So it's a good company where you're right here. Okay, eight point one two.
Speaker 1: Final MAVs Heat. That was a nasty ass game. That was really good. Wow, that was real star power too. Then you have super Bowl, you have could the could be fight and Greg McGregor kuld bev McGregor that where he broke his leg. No, that's when McGregor lost.
Speaker 2: To remember that was with like the crazy like pre fight ship where they broke the bus and window.
Speaker 1: Okay, finals, first Piston Championship. All right, that's good. That's a good score, very good score. That's good, very good school. And what do they call me? If anyone have a name? The butler? Oh that actually? Super Bowl? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, a lot of these don't really have names, which is these are we have?
Speaker 8: We do two different types of names. This is the government names, which is like the two thousand and four ALCS game for you.
Speaker 1: But then the quotes is some of the names. But what is the millennial?
Speaker 8: Millennium waved the heaviest wave of all time in two thousand.
Speaker 5: He needs some crazy storm. He's riding like a seventy foot wave. It's just like.
Speaker 1: Crazy crazy you and like you run from people. But can you imagine fucking up and dying?
Speaker 2: Like no, I can't either that That wave, like the coral is like five ft under you, So if you get hit by the wave, you're dead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just can't imagine. Like when you watch all that stuff, you just put it in perspective, Like, dude, if I messed up, I just get benched. Yeah, like maybe I lose my job. Maybe, But we're talking death death. That's crazy. They're missing something. Wow, scout, we missed anything? Ye one thing. One thing. I'll tell you. There's the funniest shit with Rasheh Wallace. So I get checked in the game in the first half. And this is like to give you an example of forra Shehe Wallace and how good he is. He gets the ball in the post and I'm right behind him in the post. He takes the ball. He looked and he sees me guarding him. He looks at the bench. He yells at the coach, y'all put this motherfucker on me. And then he and then he and I'm thinking to myself like, man, fuck this dude, right and he goes wow wow, and he goes into the fade away. I jumped as high as I could to contest it. I thought I was gonna block it. He just puts right over me. Man. Yeah, I felt I felt tiny at that point, like insignificant. But I got a bucket in the first half, which I think help me carry over to the second half. But like when he said that to the bench, oh my gosh, it was so bad. Come on, you never went to the sideline, looked at the defensive coordinator be like this, motherfuck, I have no way. Y'all got it before I run this route, y'all gotta change your matchup. I just look. I would just say to this you got no shot. He's just like, nah, you're just not equipped.
Speaker 2: Especially I'm gonna go there. I remember when they would put Jimmy Leonard or there was another safety of white safety. I'm like, I can't put a white guy. That's fucking racist.
Speaker 1: No, Like no, like when I when I got when I got out and people wanted to challenge me one on one. I'm like, yo, man, if you're white, you ain't beating me, dude. But if if you if you're not a pro, if you're not a pro and you're white, you one hundred percent ain't beating me. If you're a brother, you might beat me. I doubt you'll beat me, but you have a chance. Oh my gosh, it's true. Man, Like, listen, it is what it is. I know, I know it sounds weird coming from two white guys, but that's.
Speaker 5: How we think.
Speaker 1: That's how we think. I mean, I guess Dominique told me this story one time about Larry Bird. And there's this guy named John Contact. Right, So Larry Bird got the ball and he really wanted Dominique to guard him. So I guess, I guess this is the story. I haven't seen it, but this is the story. So Larry got the ball against John Contact and he's like, look through the coach. He's like, you went with him on this matchup, And I guess Larry Bird just dropped the ball and said, man, I don't even want this shit. But the rumor is he just dropped it like that's a waste of my time and he just ran back and all of a sudden, I guess John Contact was shook by it.
Speaker 2: Man, basketball man, the guys, Larry bro Larry Legend, fucking Larry the Legend.
Speaker 1: I love I getting wormholes watching him. He's a beast.
Speaker 2: Just his shit talking or the stories about him when he just played one whole half left handed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's like the injury thing. And by the way, a lot of times and why the white guys aren't that goods. Their bodies just can't keep up. You know that surely is. But he was nasty, but like talking about it's just living at that that life. Man, it's hard man every day. But but you get I'll put his three seasons. You could. I don't care who you want to put against Jordan. You want to bring Lebron, And I'll take Larry Bird's triple MVPs against any three seasons out there, any three seasons, because the dude was thirty ten and eight back in the day when it was hard to get thirty ten and eight. Yeah, I don't know the game that well to throw that out there. He has three MVP The one guy that's coming closest to Kolea Jokic like Loki, you know, like low key. He's kind of like just keeps dominating the NBA.
Speaker 2: But he doesn't even like he didn't even look like he likes basketball. He just goes out here just to play it. I like it though, Yeah, you know what I mean? You like yeah, scot.
Speaker 1: You want to plug anything? Plug anything? You got anything? What are you working? Yeah? You guys, just follow me on Instagram at White Mamba. You see a lot of me coaching little kids and like just kind of helping kids and paying it forward. That's my thing now. Like I was super blessed to be have great coaches growing up, and I know I don't make it if it's not for those great people. And now I'm just trying to help other kids out. So if you guys follow the kids, you know you see them or just come out and you know, if you ever see us out and about come say what's up? That's what's up? Man. We appreciate you coming on. This was fun.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: It was awesome for going two hours. But I I really appreciate you having me on. And I just always like to like chop it up with other people and my different walks.
Speaker 2: So you know we we we shared this cool town together. Sure, and that that's such a cool you know, get to hear your perspective of your stories and you know, to have that common ground where we played for this city which is such a magical cool city. This is a really cool city. Every time I come back, you know, like I live in La right now, but when you come back, it.
Speaker 1: Feels like home. Oh yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 8: That's that was our best scoring section ever? Was that was our best scoring segment ever?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: If people just like ten ten ten or like lo lo.
Speaker 2: Bit like you had, you had a real integrity type score Matthew Slater type score, Matthew Slater style score.
Speaker 1: I needed to be called out and I'm glad Scout was the guy to do it.
Speaker 5: Man, Old Scal was the assignment.
Speaker 3: From the second he walked in. Scal brought the energy, he brought the heat. That was incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm interested to see I want to go check out his AAU basketball team.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, me too. I want to see Scal the coach. I want to see Scal the bronck. Scott can do it all, man, he.
Speaker 1: Really is just a lovable guy.
Speaker 5: I just want to see you one on one on him.
Speaker 1: He's six ' ten. I think I could take him. I think you got that quickness, brother, you'd be able to cut me off. Man.
Speaker 2: That was fun. That was a really good episode. It was cool to go over and uh so much crossover. And I haven't really got to sit down with Scowl and talk. That was like our first time really talking. Like we we see each I've seen him at a Celtics game. We'll dap each other up and everything, but I've never got to like really sit and talk to him. He's a He's an engaging guy, really good.
Speaker 8: Storyteller, too awesome storyte And finally we get a guest that like jumps in with scoring, good scoring.
Speaker 5: He really was a man.
Speaker 2: You know, time it is boysline glean, time to hit the old hot line. Let's see it again, guys. That number is four two four two nine one two two nine zero bang our line.
Speaker 1: Julian Edelman.
Speaker 4: John down here in Oklahoma, high school teacher and soccer coach, soccer coach blowing the greens for the summer time because wait till time.
Speaker 1: The truest iron man of.
Speaker 12: The NFL just got done listening to a podcast where you're talking about the.
Speaker 4: PDR and who do who do interview?
Speaker 1: You need to interview JB. Mooney. It's n A U N e Y, the truest iron man of the TDR.
Speaker 4: His story is amazing. I love you guys. Thanks someone that's.
Speaker 1: Bull riding right right. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The people love falling in and they want us to be some bull riding guys.
Speaker 2: I would love to go see these jokers and I want to talk you got Yeah, that'd be fun to interview one of those fucking crazy dudes.
Speaker 1: I'm down.
Speaker 8: Bro Lard was like competing against water, these guys compete against bulls.
Speaker 3: Wow, let me get down there. Let me be the rodeo climb for the day. Come on, now, let's do it. Mutt and busting dude, Mutton busting.
Speaker 2: Scott Eastwood once. I don't know if he invited me or told me he was going to the PBR in l A.
Speaker 1: But I was like, what the fuck's PVR.
Speaker 3: He's like, dude's pro writing bull or pro bullriting. Yeah, pro bul right, they got nationwide.
Speaker 1: It's it's a big thing. See.
Speaker 3: I want to go to Texas. I want to steal some Texas valor. I want to wear the I want to wear the hat. I want the belt buckle, you tay guy dole shoe us, the ropes.
Speaker 1: I want to do it up. I want to do it right. I wanted the whole shebanga bang. Let's do it. Hell, yes, let's do it. JB Money, all right.
Speaker 8: JB Mooney, we gotta we gotta start fishing for him online.
Speaker 5: We'll follow him on social all right, fans help us out.
Speaker 12: All right, hey, Jules stand from Rhode Island.
Speaker 1: Now that you've.
Speaker 12: Gotten uh spurge Ernie and some of the support staff on trying to break into the training room and get jimbo Whalen.
Speaker 2: Allen, Jim Whalen or Joe Van Allen bro deep cut. Wow, they have, I mean, they got some stories. I don't think they would open up bybe She's scared, dude.
Speaker 1: This is a real deal, Pats.
Speaker 5: This sounds like an inside job.
Speaker 1: Inside job by someone in there. But that makes sense.
Speaker 2: I think inside Jim lives in Rhode Island, and I'm pretty sure I think Joda's.
Speaker 1: Too interesting interesting because.
Speaker 2: I used to go to one of I used to go to Joe Joe's little son's hockey games.
Speaker 5: What a guy won socket.
Speaker 3: Support, but hockey rink a lot of a lot of What kind of guy were you in the training room?
Speaker 1: What kind of guy was I in them? Now? What year are we talking?
Speaker 3: We're talking prime. We're talking prime. Uh like winning? You already got one super Bowl into your belt, Like, heyday baby.
Speaker 2: Probably pretty needy, Probably pretty needy. Hey, those guys are the best. They put up with me, and they a lot of the times they the trainers act like psychologists. I could see you know what I mean, You're on the table and you're you're beat up. You know, the medical staff and the training staff that we had, you know, like you're bitching to them. They're just taking it. They're listening to everything. I mean, they're they're great dudes. I was probably very needy though, I feel that.
Speaker 5: Sorry, guys, takes a village baby, all last one here.
Speaker 4: Hey, this is Carrie from Virginia. You guys, hands down have the best sports podcast. You're the ones that deserve a nine figure deal. Somebody ought to give that to you.
Speaker 9: But a name a game that I'd love for you to do thank you is the Onto Cincinnati game where the Chiefs whooped up on the Patriots on September twenty ninth, twenty fourteen. Because I believe the backlash from that game spurred on the Second Dynasty. I would love to have maybe Alex Smith cover that game.
Speaker 4: I think that'd be a really interesting game to cover. Thanks Bett.
Speaker 1: What's her name, Carrie, Carrie from Virginia.
Speaker 2: That's it'd be a fun game to go over. Really ripple effects of that game, seriously, And it'd be cool to have Alex Smith to come on here and I got a couple of bones to pick with him.
Speaker 1: I heard a couple of his takes on NFL Prime coming.
Speaker 3: On here and plug his UFO Sandals. He said, their life changing UFO. You know those giants. He's promoting those big vix sandals. I haven't seen him, maybe I do have recoveries.
Speaker 1: And he said they changed his life. That's interesting. He's a stud man.
Speaker 2: I will give it to Alex Smith the you know, not just his injury thing that he went through, but the second career he had after I grew up in the Niners, when they drafted him number one overall, we thought he was a bust. I thought he was a joke, you know, and then turned it around and started playing pretty good and then he you know, got got paid and did well in Kansas City. Was he was a good good quarterback, you know he from what he started. I mean they also had nothing in San Francisco. They just it was bad. I forgot about that era.
Speaker 1: That era was bad. It was post Jeff Garcia. I think, oh yeah, and.
Speaker 2: They were you're still kind of we weren't like good then the Niners, but we were like competitive enough to get to like the wild card. Maybe we lose the Green Bay all the time in the fucking divisional round.
Speaker 1: That was like, was that like Brandon Lloyd was there.
Speaker 3: B Lloyd was probably with Alex Smith, right, I thought, I thought that was kind of his only guy.
Speaker 2: I went to the game where b Lloyd had that crazy catch. I think it was a preseason game.
Speaker 1: I think of that catch probably like once a month. We went backhand on there.
Speaker 3: It's insane. It pops up on my Instagram. I share it with you every time.
Speaker 2: I still remember a story about bu Lloyd. He got this sick Porsche delivered to the stadium nice like insane. It was like one of those specialty Porsches. It had a big wing on the back like it's like a race Porsche and I go, man, things sick.
Speaker 1: He goes, Nah, this shit sucks. I go, what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: He goes that Finn looks terrible, Like I'm like, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 1: He's like, I'm I sent it back. They're gonna take the goddamn fin off.
Speaker 5: It sounds like me after an episode, Oh my.
Speaker 1: God, Brandon Lloyd a high standard, high standing top gear.
Speaker 2: Brandon, I don't understand why you ordered that one then, like I gotta get the story on it.
Speaker 1: I loved b Lloyd. He was fun.
Speaker 3: I like the idea of like it's like you order something from Amazon's like, it doesn't really fit.
Speaker 1: I hate this, like I'll take you by us. It sucks.
Speaker 2: I don't know what it was that, but yeah, I remember he's like, I hate the fit, Like what it's a Porsche race Porsche.
Speaker 1: Brandon. What a beast bro he was. I learned a lot from him.
Speaker 8: I love to ask Alex Smith about Urban Meyer in Utah.
Speaker 13: Oh yeah, cut old Urban before he got those headaches, Old Urban before he was hanging out with the co ed's up in Ohio, stayed at the bar.
Speaker 1: Old Urban is that Columbus I hear.
Speaker 3: I believe so old Urban said, you guys go home, back to Jacksonville, hang around for a day or two.
Speaker 1: O business to it didn't too man.
Speaker 3: I'm just I've never heard a coach not go back with the team, you can say, except Bill Parcells after the super Bowl.
Speaker 1: But he was already out the door. Yeah, but he was. He took the Patriots shop right wild though? Was it the Patriots? He took the Jets Jets shop because he lost the Super Bowl with the Pats. And one more thing on carry here nine figured deals pretty sweet.
Speaker 5: Pretty sweet?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 5: You know, Jeff Bezos give me text.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Jeff.
Speaker 2: I did go to a party one so I saw him there.
Speaker 1: Really rich. He just looks rich. I was gonna say, no, he's buff to super villain swag.
Speaker 5: The Amazon football, that whole crew.
Speaker 1: Huh does he really think so?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Chris said, cet ct says he's really cool.
Speaker 1: Hangs out with freaking fitz Patrick. Man.
Speaker 8: Damn usually go fishing for like stars on the billionaires.
Speaker 1: That'd be tight, dude.
Speaker 5: Sponsors.
Speaker 1: We already had one. We had cubes, cubes, we had a couple, and then we have another one. Uh, Ernie's probably a billionaire. We just secret he probably is.
Speaker 3: I bet bro, he's got the stock tips man, he cracked it. He definitely did we.
Speaker 1: Know Trav though. Trav let us hold a couple of that. Bro, You got us in for a couple. You got the Edelman bump.
Speaker 3: After Jewels came on and told the the hot up story, Bro Man, that was awesome.
Speaker 2: That was a fun experience, you know. And then to top it off with a Boston legend like Scalabrini Gal And that's been.
Speaker 1: Another episode of Games with Names.
Speaker 2: Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, wherever you listen to your podcast.
Speaker 1: Comment a game you want us to do and remember, rate and review.
Speaker 2: Remember to follow Games with Names on YouTube, Instagram, x TikTok, and Snapchat. Leave a message on the hotline at four two four two nine one two two nine zero.
Speaker 1: See you next week.
Speaker 2: Games and Names the production of iHeart Radio. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple, Puddcast, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm