Speaker 1: Cool Zone Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome to a very special episode of It Could Happen Here, reporting live from the sunny beaches of Riad. I'm Garrison Davis this episode joined by Mia Wong, James Stout and presenting our special report, Robert Evans.
Speaker 3: I am so happy to talk about our favorite time of the year, which is of course the Riod Comedy Festival, which occurs from September twenty sixth to October ninth.
Speaker 4: It's the highlight of my year each year.
Speaker 3: Ye happy to say all of Cool Zone will be there performing in Riod, immediately getting arrested. It's gonna be really good, very much excited, like all of your comedy favorites. Dave Chappelle, Bill Burr, asas End. Sorry, we will be getting paid hundreds of thousands or over a million dollars to pretend that the Saudi regime does not execute dissidence reporters, civil rights activists, whoever, and doesn't run a torture prison.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So that that's what's happening this week. There's been a big backlash against a bunch of very prominent comedians.
Speaker 4: Louis c k. It looks like a mix of.
Speaker 3: Guy Okay, not surprised David Chappelle. I'm surprised that old David Chappelle would do this, but I'm not surprised that current David Chappelle would do this.
Speaker 4: Bilbert is disappointing. Bilbert is disappointing that one hurts.
Speaker 3: Moe Amer, who is a Palestinian American comedian who lives in Houston, has also agreed to go to Riad and form not great.
Speaker 2: Comrade Shane Gillis declined the offer.
Speaker 5: Yeah shee.
Speaker 3: Gillis said yes and then said no. Let's be real fucking clear on what Shane Gillis did. Okay, I believe he's the one that said yes and then said no. You get you get a variety of responses from people who were invited to this fucking thing. And I'll make it clear kind of where my moral line stands. I don't actually believe it's inherently wrong to perform inside the bounds of any country. It kind of depends on what you're doing and how you do it, and this is the wrong way to do it, because these are not just people. If someone had just shown up at a nightclub in Saudi Arabia to do a stand up set, I don't particularly care about that, even though there are lesma jest laws, Like I wouldn't care if someone did a stand up comedy set that couldn't make fun of the King of Thailand, right, which is a crime in Thailand.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, people perform in parts of the world that have different or bad laws. The US has bad laws. We do bad things. I don't think it's inherently evil to just perform at a random club there, which is not what the people who are performing at the Odd Comedy Festival are doing. This whole convention is being put on by a guy named Turkey, I'll shake. Turkey is the chairman of the General Entertainment Authority, which is a Saudi government department. He grew up with Mohammad Ben Salmon playing League of Legends, and it's kind of like key to Ben Salmon's planned makes Saudi Arabia cool to like bring it into the global entertainment and like social network without modernizing its laws or allowing people to, you know, make fun of Mohammed Ben Salmon or his friends. For an idea of the kind of dude who hired Bill Burr and all of these other guys and paid them so much money. There is an entire wing of the all Higher prison called the Tutu Wing, which references all Shake's nickname Tutu, where prisoners that he specifically pointed out, often people who made fun of him or made jokes that he did not appreciate, are put in tortured. This guy has an entire torture prison named after him. That is who's writing checks to fucking Pete Davidson, whose dad died in Night eleven. Ah fuck, it's fucking shocking the fact that Pete Davidson is at this thing, and he has been He's been like questioned about it, and his answer, basically, I'll say this for Pete, was basically like, yeah, but there's a lot of money, right. And I'm separating in my head to a degree. I think it's bad to take money from the Saudi government to do something like this that is being used to like whitewash their human rights record to make them look like a cool part of global society, even as they this week executed another journalist. I think that's bad. I think it's worse if you're someone who stood for something. This doesn't change my opinion about THEO Vaughn, who sucks and it's like, yeah, he'll take money from Saudi Arabia. He's a huge asshole. I'm not surprised, right, And there's some other guys in this that I'm not necessarily like shocked about.
Speaker 6: Did you see Theovon's beef with Ice this week?
Speaker 5: Oh? Does theovon have beef with Ice this week?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: They use video of him without his consent in one of their marketing videos.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Great so.
Speaker 3: Jim Jeffries on August one on Theovon's podcast to talk about agreeing to do this show, and he said one reporter was killed by the government. Unfortunate, but not a fucking hill that I'm gonna die on, and argued that freedom of speech machines like himself would do good by, like, you know, making jokes in Saudi Arabia and key in the men on the freedom of speech thing. Basically, it'll be a net positive for freedom if I go speak at this thing. And then the funniest possible follow up, he was removed from the festival lineup because he acknowledged that they killed a reporter and you can't even do that on your own fucking podcast or fucking theo vod's goddamn podcast. I want to play a video clip of Tim Dillon, because Tim Dillon is another guy who agreed to show up and perform at this this fucking nightmare event. And Dylan is why we know kind of how much money is on the table at this thing, because he has said that he was paid three hundred and seventy five thousand. He was offered three hundred and seventy five thousand for one performance to be there. He said that kind of the lowest number people were being offered was about one hundred and fifty thousand, and the most like highly paid people were being offered up to one point six million dollars. So I mean it's possible see people were geting more than that, but I'm guessing that's closer to like where the Bill Burr's than the Dave Chappelle's you are getting right like in the one point six million. So these guys were offered an insane amount of money. And Tim Dillon went on and like talked about this on a podcast, talked about like why he agreed to do it, and defended and it's very funny. He like brought up like slavery in Saudi Arabia because Saudi Arabia has slaves, as a way to like to segue into a defense of why it's fine for him to do this, and this is just one of the funniest things I've ever heard.
Speaker 4: Well, they have slaves, then they kill everyone. Hey hey, hey, hey, heyy.
Speaker 7: Get over it. Get over it? So what, so what they have slaves? So what.
Speaker 4: My friend, I not a friend, somebody I don't even know.
Speaker 7: I bumped them and Tribeca and he goes, I would never do that because I don't want to interact with slaves.
Speaker 4: I'm like, well why not.
Speaker 7: They'd be deferential, right, I mean, I imagine the slaves in those countries are good at what they do.
Speaker 5: Okay, so that's that's the clip I just wanted to.
Speaker 3: One of the most Yeah, and it got him fired from the show. He's good bending them, he's big, like slavery is not so bad, and he's still got fired.
Speaker 4: That's that's like, Yeah, it's nuts.
Speaker 8: Oh my god, Like.
Speaker 4: It's really bad.
Speaker 2: To cleanse our minds of whatever that was. Here's an ad break. Okay, we're back, Robert.
Speaker 3: The degree to which everyone involved in that has just nuked whatever credibility they had is shocking. I want to read you a quote from Bill Burr in January of twenty.
Speaker 4: Ten to make me sad.
Speaker 3: This is from a set he did at the time. This him talking about Beyonce. She's out there singing about girl power, telling you to put a ring on it, all that crap.
Speaker 5: And then what she does.
Speaker 3: She takes a million bucks to go sing at some private party for Kaddafi's kid, Momar Kadaffi, you know, the guy who's been blowing stuff up and running a dictatorship forever. Like, what the hell You're gonna jet off to Saint Bart shake your ass for some terrorist dictator's family, pawking a million, and then go back to preaching about empowerment. Come on, man, that's the hypocrisy of this whole thing. These celebrities, they'll take any gig if the check's big enough. It's like, Oh, I'm all about the people, until some crazy dictator weaves a stack of cash and then it's where's my private jet?
Speaker 5: It's ridiculous.
Speaker 4: This nuts, Yes, Bill, it is. This sucks.
Speaker 2: This sucks to be a Bill Bard defender for you. I notice, truly the first, the first, the first actual stain on Bill Bear's legacy.
Speaker 4: It's a very good comedian, that's what her remarkable. Fucking stain cold comedians are evil. It's just it's that easy.
Speaker 3: He addressed, it's you know, part of it is that and if all. Unfortunately, I kind of think the response of some of the scumbags in comedy has been fair with it. Just like, man, it was too much money. It's just a shitload of money. Like I'll do fucked up shit for a crazy amount of money, and it's like that's bad, but at least you're honest. Bill's response to this was like, it was great to experience that part of the world, to be part of the first comedy festival over there in Saudi Arabia. The royals loved the show. Everybody one was happy. The people that were doing the festival were thrilled. The comedians that I've been talking to are saying, dude, you can feel that the audience wanted it. They wanted to see real stand up comedy. It was a mind blowing experience. Definitely top three experiences I've had. I think it's going to lead to a lot of positive things now. He did talk a little bit about like the rules that they had to bye bye, and said that like when they were first handing around contracts, he pushed back and was like or people pushed back, or like comedians didn't, were like, you can't have all these restrictions, and that they whittled them down to just a couple of things, which Bill sums up as don't make fun of Royal's religion right now, as pointed out by the fact that Tim Dillon got canceled for talking positively about slavery and the Kingdom, there were more restrictions than that. I do want to read from a Hollywood Reporter article talking about like Bill's response to this, because it gets even worse than what I've read already. Bill first described going to the island country of Bahrain, which is more socially liberal than Saudi Arabia, where a customs agent immediately clocked his anxiety about doing stand up in the region and gave him grief about it. When I was landing in Bahrain, like I'm fucking nervous, right, and then the agent says, you tell jokes about the Middle East, you think you're going to come over here and get beheaded. Right After a successful show in Bahrain, Burr was at a bar where he was watching interactions among locals and decided, I'm like, they're just like us. I don't speak the language, but I get it. When he flew to Saudi Arabia, Burr's nervousness crept back, but he was struck by the amount of local Western influence. You think everyone's going to be screaming death to America and they're going to have fucking machetes and want to chop my head off, right, because this is what I've been fed about that part of the world. I thought this place was going to be really tense, and I'm thinking, like, is that a Starbucks next to a Pieza Hut, next to a Burger King next to McDonald's.
Speaker 5: They've got a fucking.
Speaker 3: Chilis And yes, man, they have stores in the Middle East you can buy and have.
Speaker 8: Restaurants that specific combination of countries like the Saudis. The reason the current government of Raid is in power is because the Saudis rolled tanks across the border to cross the uprising. There were twenty eleven like hideous.
Speaker 3: There's so much that's fucked up just being like, well to prepare for abiding by the laws of the fucking royal family.
Speaker 5: Of Saudi Arabia.
Speaker 3: I went to Bahrain like like that, They're not.
Speaker 6: The same place, no, Like, yeah, I wanted to check out some brown Muslim people. Turns out that people like that seems to be the gist of what he's saying, and they like pizza too.
Speaker 4: Fuck me.
Speaker 3: You could go to again like Iraq and perform in fucking uh. You could go to an ideal and it's nice, and it's nice, and you're not going to be performing at the behest of the fucked up government. Right, You'll just be performing in a country with the fucked up government. And there is a difference. Right, I'm not angry at the idea that some rando might like perform at a nightclub in Saudi Arabia. The problem is that you're performing at the behest of the Saudi government, at the behest of the regime.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a different thing.
Speaker 3: I do think there's an argument for like, well, people in countries with fucked up governments deserve to laugh. That doesn't mean you have to take the money from their fucked up government and say nice things about their fucked up government like Kevin Hart just did. Because Kevin Hart was also a part of this show, and he posted a video on TikTok talking about how fucking awesome Saudi Royal Turkey Al Shake is and Turkey al Shak has now been sharing that video on all of his social media accounts, Like you're holding water for people for a guy he was a wing in a torture prison named after him, that crosses a line for me. You know, when we're talking about entertainment, we're talking about being ad support all this stuff. There's compromises that everyone makes in this business. There's compromises in what company you fucking work with, right Like, if you're talking about, you know, make it a TV show for Amazon's TV division or Disney's you know fucking streaming division, right, Well, there's there's a degree of moral compromise there. And I think, depending on what you're doing and whatnot, can be justified by the fact that number one, like that's just the way television works. There's no working with anyone completely clean in a company that has the ability to fund, you know, a production like that, but taking money directly from the hands of the guy with the torture prison, I think that crosses a line. I think that crosses the line for a free speech activist. It should across the line for Pete Davidson, who's dad died at nine.
Speaker 4: To eleven, but she's apparently not. That is a wild one. That's the craziest one to.
Speaker 3: Me, that Kate Davidson went over to Saudi Arabia.
Speaker 4: Oh man, are you gonna what? It's just mom sit on the scene.
Speaker 3: Oh man, she's probably getting a lot of money if she is, So it's fine.
Speaker 4: It's fine.
Speaker 5: I don't know like how much.
Speaker 3: And it is one of those things I get the people who are like, okay, but you know, the US is fucked up to and it is. And so if somebody is getting paid directly by the Trump regime to perform at the White House, I'd say, pretty fucked up. But like that doesn't mean it's immoral to perform at like a nightclub in fucking Chicago, you know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And none of us are going to Guantanamo Bay to like entertain the fucking prison guards, right, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, hopefully none of us will be going to Guantanamo Bay for any reason. As long as we keep playing these ads, we're back.
Speaker 8: I want to talk about this from the Saudi perspective, because they have been doing really for the last half a decade a fallout pr blitz. Right, We've seen this in WWE. We've seen this with a whole bunch of professional sports stuff, like most of the esports is run out of the Sports World Cup in Saudi Arabia. Now, like the Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund just helped Jared Kushner buy EA, right, just like one of the largest video game companies in the world. Right, they've been you know, they've been doing this sort of whole sportswashing strategy of using these things to sort of normalize, normalize the regime. And I think the actual genius of this, right was not that you can buy legitimacy with like sports and with comedians. The genius of it was that they were able to control the backlash because they ensured the backlash to it would be done by sports journalists and entertainment journalists who don't know anything about the Saudis and thus assumed that the Saudis were attempting to whitewash their you know, horrific domestic human rights record, and they were to some extent, But even focusing on the Saudis domestic human rights record is a victory for the Saudist because it means that nobody's talking about the stuff people were talking about last decade when they talked about the Saudis, which was things like, for example, the Sudanese child soldiers that they were deploying in their warren Yemen, and these Sudanese child soldiers were drawn from their connections bolstered by the UAE to the Sudanese Appid Support Forces, a group that is almost entirely composed of the militias who did the genocide in Darfour. So these are the ground troops that they're deploying in Yemen. Are Assudanese child soldiers drawn from the people who did the genocide in Darfour in twenty eighteen, which was not that long ago, like I remember twenty eighteen. So do you statistically if you're listening to the show, they carried out an airstrike on a school bus that killed twenty six children, right, no one is talking about the air strikes on funerals that they absolutely love to do, like, for example, there was a huge one in twenty sixteen where they killed one hundred and forty people in one air strike, after which the area was described by a rescue worker as a quote lake of blood. And this has been the really successful thing about about the Saudi specifically targeting sports and specifically targeting entertainment, is that the people covering this do not know anything about Saudi Arabia, right. And this is also partially what was going on Bill Burv, because they're just racists or their attempt could do a backlash, and they're trying to do a backlash with things like Okay, they killed a journalist, which is really bad, right, But like Jamal Kashoggi was one guy out of thousands and thousands and thousands of people that they were killing and are continuing to kill to this day in Yemen.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 8: And this is one of the reasons people have been able to get away with this, right, is that no one has been walking up to them and going what do you think about the Sudanese child soldiers? Because nobody knows about any of that. And this is one of the thing that I want to just say at the end of this, which is I know for a fact that journalists and editors listen to this show, and please, for the love of God, find someone who knows literally anything about the Saudis war. And Yemen and have them write this piece on sportswashing for you, literally anyone. This is what this is what makes me insane about all this coverage is that like, if you even a little bit paid attention to what they were doing in the twenty tens and what they're continuing to do now in Yemen, you know about so many even I'm not even I'm not even talking about the starvation genocide here. There are so many things that they did, you know, And like one of the common defenses is like, oh, like you know, like we live in the US as a fucked up country, right, Like who cares about authoritarianism? Just like I don't know, it's hard to make that argument when it's about Sudanese child soldiers.
Speaker 3: Well, and it's just again, we're not pissed because some guy performed at a nightclub in Riyad. It's it's that you're taking money from the government to whitewash the government.
Speaker 8: No, it's because they took money for the governments. All of these, all of these things, all of these all of like wwe like all of these sports events, these are funded directly by the Saudi Sovereign Wealth Fund, which is the Wealth Fund of the Saudi government, the people who were dropping bombs on school buses and sending child soldiers to fight their warren gemmen.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there has been some good reporting on sportswashing. I would say, like Ian Trello's done some excellent stuff.
Speaker 3: The Guardian has a good article on this where they really coalate some of like the very worst responses, written by Seth Simon. So I liked that this does seem to be blowing up. Hollywood Reporter's piece was pretty good too.
Speaker 6: Hollywood Report to my friend with the editor of that publication for years may have consistently done some stuff that you wouldn't expect looking at the title of publication.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not going to be silly enough to be like, I think this is going to cost any of these people their career because it's I don't think it is. But it does seem to be causing them some embarrassment, So I don't know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean they get called out on it, shamed like it's yeah, it's a pretty shameful thing to do.
Speaker 5: It's a shameful thing to do. It's a bummer.
Speaker 3: I wish people had not made these choices because man, it's depressing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, luckily I have some news to lift our moods after this depressing episode. I am pleased to report that cool Zone Media will be headlining at Victor Orbon's new comedy festival Hungry four Laughs. Yep, next year twenty twenty six. Market in your calendar, cool Zone Media presents with Victor Orbon Hungary for laughs. That's all for us today at it Could Happen Here, See you next year in Hungary.
Speaker 4: The vibe.
Speaker 1: It Could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website Coolzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources for it could Happen Here listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.