Speaker 1: You're listening to I Choose Me with Jenny Girl. Hi everyone, exciting news. Okay, my second annual I Choose Me Live Summit Women's empowerment event is coming to Los Angeles on Saturday, April twenty fifth, and I want.
Speaker 2: You to be there.
Speaker 1: The I Choose Me movement began as three little words on Beverly Hills nine O two one oh in nineteen ninety five, but it has evolved into something so much more than that. A revolution, you guys. It's a message I feel so passionate about. I wrote the book on it. So please join me for this one day party shining a light on self care and self love. Our panelists are incredible this year. We have Amanda Klutes, Bethany Joy Lenz, Genie Mai, Gabby Reese, Sarah Shah, my dear friend, Gabrielle Carteris. We have Caromo and Cameron Matheson and more surprises. So please come for the powerful conversations, stay for lunch and cocktails. Make a commitment to choose yourself right here in sunny California. It's going to be amazing. Tickets are on sale now at veeps dot com. That's ve e e ps dot com and all of the info will be in our show notes. Thank you so much. Welcome do I Choose Me, the podcast about making choices for better and for worse. I am so excited today about this conversation because it really touches on so many things that we talk about here and I Choose Me, you know, try try again, proof that there is such a thing as a new life after midlife. It's never too late to start again. And also it's a very fun reminder that romantic comedies are alive and well. I love rom comms. I am thrilled to welcome actor, director, and just an all around inspirational great lady, Amy Landecker.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 2: Okay, wow, let's.
Speaker 1: Get into this because I don't want to take up too much of your time. I'm really grateful that you're here.
Speaker 3: By the way, thank you. I'm really grateful to be here. I'm excited.
Speaker 1: Your story is so so in line with everything I Choose Me. You had your breakout acting role at age forty, you met the love of your life, and then you five at forty five, and then you made your first film at fifty five. You're like the poster lady for the message that it's never too late.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel I feel like part of I mean, it's interesting because I made this movie really.
Speaker 2: I mean, you see here he comes the love of my life on cue too. Such an actor.
Speaker 3: He's still he's still futzing in the bathroom. I made the movie literally, people think I think people think that like I made it out of some sort of ambition or something like I want, you know, like you do something to get more work, or you do something because like no one else would give you the part, or and I'm sure subconsciously there's some some of that in there. But you know, as you're walking, Hi, look at that.
Speaker 1: Hi, Bradley, are you I'd be great good to see you. I love the film, so I'm so happy to see both of you. When you guys are on camera.
Speaker 2: Question.
Speaker 1: Sure, I'm sure you know this, Yeah, he did you cast them little casting couch action. I'm sure you guys know this and people have told you. But whenever the two of you are on screen was my favoritest parts of the movie because there's just so much love and connection and just you can't you know, you can't create that.
Speaker 3: That scene on the bench when we finally like talk is I definitely wanted.
Speaker 2: It didn't work, but when my acting coach shut up, it was really helpful.
Speaker 3: No, it was really really fun to do, and we've yeah.
Speaker 2: We've never really done that.
Speaker 1: I know, what a cool thing like. I would love to work with my husband. He's actually commercial actor, which is so funny. We watched the movie together last night and he was chuckling about all the acting classes. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I used to be a commercial actor. That was like my main bread and butter. So that's why I used to do that pharmaceutical voiceover for a decade.
Speaker 1: Oh god, let you girls, Yeah, let us let us talk.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you, thank you?
Speaker 3: Fun or we're literally like anyway, besides, it's just an interesting day.
Speaker 2: I know, you know, what's going on is an interesting day. Every day is interesting. Every day is an interesting day. But but anyway, so I was saying that I that I I was.
Speaker 3: I don't think I'm being Pollyanna to say that. Really the point for me because I've written other things that didn't actually get made, and I had a real sense of relief around that because.
Speaker 2: How hard it would be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when this one we actually had financing that fell through, that was much more money, and I was devastated, and I'm like, oh, that's an interesting feeling. And it really was because I feel like I have something to offer people, you know, and in the most direct case, women who have been through divorce and are older, who are terrified that they're going to be alone the rest of their life or they're not going to get to do like that there you know, you can't try something new or like there's such a fear. I mean, I know when I when I was going through it, I was just like I'm going to be alone the rest of my life and like my.
Speaker 2: Career is over whatever, whatever the fears are.
Speaker 3: And I and I knew that somehow I'd had this miraculous path through and I just felt like I needed If we don't see it, we don't know it's possible, right, So it was like I just wanted to help me.
Speaker 2: It sounds I'm not that great of a person, but like I really but I really did want. I really have so many girlfriends that I love.
Speaker 3: I have. It's funny that you asked or somehow I got to be on this podcast because there was an article about you in People magazine years ago about your divorce and getting I think remarried and I it really affected me and gave me hope. And so this is sort of like that kind of thing. It's will circle for me to be here with you. I mean, I get it's like really emotional for me because of that. That shit is like so important when you're going through that stuff, you have to see like that it can work out, that people can heal. I mean, it's not just also, I mean I make it really it's important to me in the movie that the guy is not the thing. The guy is not the actual thing that like shows up first, right, the first thing that shows up is her best friend. And that was so much about how I got through everything. Like I mean that I found love. It is the greatest thing in the world. But like I also know I'll I'm going to lose love one way or another, you know, right right, I'm going to go, He's going to go.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I hate to think about it, but like God forbid, I just know that, like I can get through anything with my girlfriends, right, that's the truth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that relationship with your best friend in the movie. We're talking about your new film for Worse, which by the way, is available today on demand. It is a rom com about the surprising magic that can happen when your life blows up. You know, you are the writer, the director, and the star of this film. I love saying all three of those things. So I love hearing about this. And you're so right. When we see other people walking our walks, there's something that ignites inside of us, whether we really know it at the time or not. But it's like a seed that's planted and it like once you start watering it, like it grows.
Speaker 2: You were like a seed the plan.
Speaker 1: It was a little seed.
Speaker 2: Isn't that just wild? Yeah?
Speaker 3: And I felt like I was getting enough people asking me, you know, and I knew people, I mean people knew me. When I was going through the divorce I have, I fell apart in a way that was like like really.
Speaker 2: Wild, Like I just didn't know that was coming.
Speaker 3: I mean, I knew breakups were hard, but like I hadn't factored in the shared custody part of divorce. And that is really what Bradley and I kind of bonded over when we finally started to talk to each other. We knew each other like a year before we had a real conversation. We were working on that the show Transparent. He was a guest star and I was a series regular, and I thought he was like kind of a I mean, we've talked about this, but it's true.
Speaker 2: Like I thought he was like a I can't you.
Speaker 1: Say that on Kelly Clarkson. And I totally relate because it's the it's the presence, it's the swag, it's the air of healthcareself.
Speaker 2: Yes, he just has a swag.
Speaker 3: That's why he gets cast as like cocky people. And I was interpreting him through that lens, and he was interpreting me through a lens where I was like getting dumped.
Speaker 2: Like I don't know.
Speaker 3: I was getting together and breaking up like every two days with the same person, and I was like crying at work and he was just like, Okay, she's like crazy actress tropes, right. We both had these ideas and and I so that's why I have this like real darcy part too. But anyway, our real connection, our very first connection, was I was not prepared to not have my kid for half my kids, like you can't be prepared for that pair yourself for that feeling, and it made me insane and my ex had moved on with someone that Iris loved.
Speaker 1: I am understanding what you're saying perfectly. It's very hard.
Speaker 2: She was little and she'd be like.
Speaker 3: Mommyhtie's friend Lisa smells so good. I know, I know, and it is so soft.
Speaker 2: I love her clothes.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you're like, I do too.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad that you.
Speaker 1: Like that exactly, while just like you have to dying inside, please.
Speaker 3: Depress every animal instinct that you have, your maternal instinct and be like.
Speaker 2: I'm so happy to hear that.
Speaker 3: And then they leave and you fall on the floor and you weep. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love that scene in the movie when you drop your daughter off. Yeah to your exit YouTuber. Yeah, oh god, it's so funny and so actual, like that's I mean, you.
Speaker 3: Know, and it's funny because I wrote a very I grew up like really loving very traditional rom com structure. Like I just think it's very satisfying. Like I tried. I wanted to stay with the math of that. And what's interesting and we keep talking about this amongst ourselves is like there's no I mean, it's a very heightened version, but none of it is not true, right, It's like that is the way my best friend talks. There's a reason those are tropes, right, because we kind of everyone sort of has, you know, like the friend. I mean, my friend is just incredibly crass and funny, and she just is always.
Speaker 2: Telling me how I am. I mean that was her line.
Speaker 3: Like when I was getting She's like, oh, Amy, you know, I mean it's just like you meet those friends who are just like telling you that you still, you know, can can have a relationship where.
Speaker 2: You're still sexy. And she was, So that's a trope.
Speaker 3: Like I'm writing the character going, well, you know, you got this sort of wise cracking best friend, and then my you know, ex's new girlfriend is in crely warm and kind, and I in the beginning wanted to punch her in the face, you know, I mean like it wasn't you know, like I just want That is also very common now that like you meet people who want to just blend right conscious and COMPLI like all that stuff. And it was like, I can't jump to the healing. I can't jump to take that. I can't And so in my attempts to do that, I was falling apart because I was trying to get to like the healing which did happen? You know, like absolutely, which is why I also love that, you know there, I had people see the movie like before, like in the early days where you're getting notes on the script and stuff, and people are like, like, why does everyone have to be happy at the end.
Speaker 2: I'm like, because that's the point.
Speaker 3: Like the whole point is like we're all okay, everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, then the movie's all about you. You're saying like there's there's such a thing as a new life after midlife. Yes, and a lot of women are facing this in their forties, their fifties, their sixties and beyond. So you know, everybody's wondering, has life passed me by? My kids are grown, the relationships I have are changing because whatever there's going on in their lives or the relationship is in it, whatever, your careers are shifting changing, you know, who knows what's happening. And you've been there, You've been through that painful divorce. So is it in the movie, like what is it that helped you actually open your heart to new beginnings? And how long did that take you?
Speaker 2: It took?
Speaker 3: I mean the painful part to say because I hate because I remember someone saying it to me, and I was like, I can't wait that long, Like if it's going to take that long, Like.
Speaker 2: No, was it seven years?
Speaker 3: I mean it wasn't seven years, But what's the line in the movie that.
Speaker 2: Guys say it's going to take six years? And I was like six years. That's a lot time. I mean it's.
Speaker 3: Different for everybody, right, Like I felt like, here's what really for me is I feel like what happened. I had a relationship end that I thought was going to be like the thing that would mean I wasn't going to be alone forever.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: I went right into something and I was like, you know, this will work out, and it didn't. And there was something about that not working out that triggered like a real panic, And so I went into a relationship that was not good for me out of just a need to not want to be alone. And that was such a painful process and so wrong for what I needed. But it was perfect because I kind of bottomed out on that sort of solution, right, I was like, this is not working. So I made this like vow to be alone for a while, And in the time that I really was alone, I really got really happy being alone for probably the first time in my life.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 3: That was when Bradley came in, right, I always I didn't need Bradley, like I was like, I was like, oh my god, I'm finally happy, so good on my own.
Speaker 1: Yes, did you do you feel like you equate that to like? Because I talk about this a lot about like when we when we get to the place where we truly love ourselves and we realize there's nothing we cannot not survive.
Speaker 2: Yes, then that.
Speaker 1: Self of love just opens up the universe. And that is always when the right relationship or the right job opportunity comes, or the right anything.
Speaker 2: It's that horrible, beautiful truth of life.
Speaker 3: Then the cont you know, the complete contradiction that like I let it go and then it comes right.
Speaker 1: But then the horror is it a horse or a cat? Let it run free and it will come.
Speaker 2: Back to you if it's meant to be.
Speaker 3: It's so annoying. It's like, why do I have to like let go to keep it? I don't want to. I just want to grab it and hold it and be afraid. But it's true, and it's happened to me like every point in my life. I mean, it was so weird professionally, Like years ago, I was a Chicago theater actor and I had done a play at the Goodman in Chicago and it ended up getting a production at the Public in New York, but only two actors from the cast were brought and I was not one of them, and I.
Speaker 2: Was devastated, devastated.
Speaker 3: And they were all going to New York and the rest of us that got left behind. I ended up like going it's a long story. I won't get into the details. I just ended up being in LA for pilot season through a series of events. I'd been flown out to LA from Chicago for an audition, and I was like, that wouldn't have happened if I'd been doing the play in New York. I was out there with an agent. I was like, none of this would have happened if I hadn't done the play in New York. And I literally like lied down. I'm not kidding at my friends. I was in my friend's second bedroom. It was beautiful, smell of like all those flowers in LA that like waffed through your window on a perfect day, and I was like, this is just so perfect. I'm so glad that I didn't do the play and boom, my phone rings, and the director of that play is like, I'm we need to replace this actress. Is it possible that you could come out to New York and immediately all these things lined up? Where I called the only person I knew in New York at the time. It was like, they won't put me up, they'll fly me. How am I going to find a place to live in New York if I want to go do this play? And he's like, oh, I happened to be leaving my apartment that's walked from the theater. Like just so many things lined up, and it was My friend still talks about it because it was like I literally had finally released the like I didn't get the play. I didn't get the play, and then the play just came back and then everything kind of moved from that space. So I know that that's a spiritual truth. It's just very You can't really get there inauthentically, right. You just have to actually get there, and.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, you have to experience.
Speaker 1: You have to be willing to like sit with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you just have to be uncomfortable and upset for as long as as long as take until you finally just go Okay, I trust the universe, and I'm probably a little bit better as I get older of getting there a little quicker. But the divorce was not a place where I did that well. And I felt so good about all the growth that I'd made in so many areas, but this was an area that I was like, this just slammed me back on the ground, and I was like, and so the movie too came out of a time where I felt like I was in a regression, which I do think can happen too, right, or you think you healed that thing and then that thing like comes and bites you, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like you're not off that free.
Speaker 2: No, you're not done.
Speaker 3: We got a whole deeper level that we're going to go here. So but yeah, I mean, how do you get through it? Is through it?
Speaker 2: Right. It's like a joke when one of the characters.
Speaker 3: Like he's the the stepfather in this movie and he's like, the only way you know, the.
Speaker 2: Out is through, The only way out is through?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I love that character, by the way.
Speaker 3: This really makes it funny instily when he comes on the.
Speaker 2: Screen, You're just like, what is happening. It's so good.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you I feel like just in general, this whole story moment that you're in, your personal story was about getting this movie made and then making the movie. But we all have these ideas, these big dreams for what's next for us, a business, a book, even a new relationship, that those things sometimes take a long time to come to freeish fruition. And that's what happened with you for making this movie. Do you yeah, what's your advice for you know, to know when to keep pushing or when is the time just gracefully let it go and move on to something new.
Speaker 3: You know why I felt like this one stuck was because I really loved this story, like I would want to see this movie, right, that's good. And there was other things that I had written or I was trying to make that we're not really what I love. You know, I've done some really smart people's stuff, Like I've been in a Coen Brothers movie, and I've been on Luis K's show, and I was on Joey Solloway's show, and this is all like, you know, very it's very smart, like sort of hip, you know, like dark funny stuff.
Speaker 2: But I am not.
Speaker 3: I've tried to write that and it's been somewhat successful. Like I was able to sort of, you know, develop get some development deals around me trying to do that. But like I said, sort of when those things fell through, I felt a relief because I didn't actually feel like that was me. And this was the first thing that I ever wrote where I was like, I am writing this for me in my voice, and you know it it means it's not as cool as like some of the stuff I've been in, and you know, it's little as Bradley and I always talk about. It's like more generous, like I like accessible stuff. And so I was writing in a way that was funny to me and was and so that it's because this is gonna when you're trying to do something new, it is it is like going to take a lot of work, right, Like it's not just going to like you know, like yes, so it better be something you're enjoying doing for whatever that you have.
Speaker 2: A passion for. Yes, you're going to.
Speaker 3: Hold on to it. It's so hard to do. I mean, this was really hard for me to do. I am not someone who likes to do hard things. I was like a voice factor for many years, and because it was like the laziest job with the most money, and that's what I wanted.
Speaker 2: I am not like a person. I like comfort.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's the other joke amongst the people in my life, who would have thought you'd be the one who'd finished the movie because but it was because I thought it was. I still can watch that movie and it delights me.
Speaker 1: It delights you because it's so relatable your character. Okay, I just needed to talk about this some more because I really enjoyed watching it. Your character gets into some you know, awkward, absurd and sometimes humiliating experiences and behaviors that you know that can happen when you're trying to reinvent yourself and you're entering into this unknown.
Speaker 2: It felt so real.
Speaker 1: So I have to believe that some of those stories were things that actually happened in your life.
Speaker 2: I mean some version absolutely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I've been pretty open about the fact that, you know, I did go.
Speaker 2: This is basic.
Speaker 3: So this movie's about It's sort of a wedding rom com, right, and I went. And the movie starts with my character getting into kind of a fling with a younger man and there was a there was a wedding that literally I felt it was like the most devastating weekends I've ever had. And then Tough immediately started laughing at it. Like the second we left. I was like, I would say, almost the second we left, I started thinking, there's a rom com in there like it because it was such a joke. To me, it was like, literally you could it wrote itself like, I'm a middle aged woman, I just got divorced. I'm going to my first wedding since my divorce. I did go with a younger guy from my class as friends, but we had had a sort of muddy relationship, but we were gonna go as friends, and he was like, I promise, I'm not gonna leave you. I'm gonna stay with you because I know it's gonna be hard. And then as soon as we got there, you know, he did what a normal human being would do when you are like the young, hot single person and all the girls are hot and you are drinking and you go party and he just kind of went off. Instead of me letting him go off and being an adult and going to bed, I decided that I would stay up till four o'clock in the morning and act like a lunatic. I mean I was like, I'm like, you're acting like a lunatic. I was just like, what are you doing? And that night ended, you know, with I had a guy vomit all over me.
Speaker 2: There was a there was a fight.
Speaker 3: There was a fight because like one of the guys in the party who was gay, hit on a trucker at a bar at four o'clock in the morning, the trucker and there was a huge.
Speaker 2: Like brawl out.
Speaker 3: I mean, it was one of those weddings where it's just a classic wedding, you know, and everyone's having sex and everyone's wasted, and everyone's like and I am like stone cult sober, which no one can ever believe.
Speaker 2: I mean, I seem drunk always and I'm not.
Speaker 3: You don't need it, as Bradley says, you do not want to add alcohol to my situation. I don't need I'm crazy enough and loose enough and whacky enough, and I get like really like contact drunk and high with people, so like if they're all drunk, I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, and I'm just like, what are you doing?
Speaker 3: Like it was so and then me and the kid, I call him the kid wasn't as young as Nicoharaga, but you know, we got into a really big fight.
Speaker 2: On the way home, and then we and then Mike we had to.
Speaker 3: Pick up Iris at her dad's and we just started laughing at how ridiculous we had been the whole weekend with each other, and we became friends again and everything was fine. But I knew in that weekend that there was.
Speaker 2: A movie in there.
Speaker 3: There's a movie in here, and it took me twelve years. So Angelie Cabral, who plays my ex's new girlfriend, it was her wedding that I went to, and jay Lecopo, who plays the stepfather, was at that wedding with me, and.
Speaker 2: So there's a lot of like little Easter egg people.
Speaker 3: And everyone who was at that wedding knew I had this idea, had known I was thinking about making this movie for years, and I just it took me that long to sort of.
Speaker 2: Figure out the structure.
Speaker 3: What was I made a short that was like really dark and weird, and again trying to do things that you know, in someone else's taste, like the things that.
Speaker 2: You thought people would want.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know, what would get me good reviews or what would get me boards or what would get me, you know, festivals. The funny thing is this, the short did nothing like nobody wanted it, and I realized how half baked it was. I learned a lot from doing that because I didn't really try very hard. I thought I could kind of like half asset, and you know, it's just a very interesting process where I'm like, you can't, just like, you know, you're gonna have to work really hard if you want to do this, you know. And I worked really hard on that script, and I wrote it over a thousand times, you know. I worked hard on the math of it. I had financing fall through three times. We ended up making it in eleven days for three hundred thousand dollars. That's all I had. And I was like, well, this is what we got, so this is what we're doing. And that is an insanely short amount of time to shoot the entire feature le folk. It's insane when you think about how many pages you're doing a day, And it was really it required me just like never giving up. And I also had people offer me money if I wouldn't be the lead, and I was open to that.
Speaker 2: But and it's not because I did the lead because I mean maybe.
Speaker 3: Part of me was like, okay, no one would give me this part, But also like, who's going to know it better than me when it's my story?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, by life for sure.
Speaker 3: I could hire you to do it and you'd be amazing.
Speaker 2: But it'd be great.
Speaker 3: But like, if you made a choice that was different than mine, I'd be like, you're wrong.
Speaker 1: Even if you were directing them, you would never get them to the place where in your mind you're like, this is how it went down.
Speaker 4: They would have no freedom they It would be no fun for that actor. No, no, because any idea of yours that's different than mine is just wrong. I can't, you know, And I also don't have.
Speaker 3: The time if I'm not on that schedule. On that schedule, I was like, I have to do all of it. But I literally like went to a cognitive therapist and a therapist to discuss whether I was going to do all three things.
Speaker 1: You did it, though, you did. You got to boss your husband around as the director. Yeah, I was that fun.
Speaker 3: I got to direct him in something and he had the best time ever. I directed him in a funnier dyed mockumentary called Bradley Whitford emotional stuntman and it was like one of his favorite things he ever did. It was written by this young guy, Matt. I can't like spacing his name speaking of menopause and all that.
Speaker 2: But that was my big fear was like I was really tired.
Speaker 3: I was in perimenopause and I was also getting brain fall, and I was like, how am I going to direct a movie? But it turned out totally fine. That was no problem, like once I was in the thick of it, but I have problems like random memory shit. But anyway, I it's like basically this this idea that when you're watching, like you know, Brian Cranston in a great scene and breaking bad, it's not actually Brian. It's Bradley who's been brought in like he's like a stuntman and he's in like the green, the green, like he's in a green supreen screen. Yeah, he is a green screen and he does your emotional work because most actors don't know how to act, so they get Bradley to come in and do it. And he got to improvise a lot and he really really had a good time. And that gave me the confidence to know that I could direct him. What I wasn't really sure about was our chemistry or our acting together, because yeah, because we hadn't done it, and our scene was day two, Like our big scene together was day two. And it was like, Butter, I mean, I gotta tell you, it was easy. I mean we were like it was good. It was so easy. I couldn't believe it. I was like, wow, God, Wow, thank god, I mean.
Speaker 5: Thank god.
Speaker 2: It was like just talk.
Speaker 3: I mean, it was just like and it edited itself, like I remember our editor gave us a cut.
Speaker 2: I don't think we ever touched it. It was just like, it's really sweet that scene. So I looked out with that.
Speaker 3: I mean, there was a could have gone wrong, but but and that was probably the most unknown. A lot most people in that movie are friends of mine. I knew.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you had to call on favors, and yeah, you got to call on favors.
Speaker 3: That's one good thing about being older, too. You don't care a lot more people in your life.
Speaker 2: This is true, and.
Speaker 1: You care less about like, oh, they're going to be so annoyed, like just ask you because they can say no.
Speaker 2: I don't care exactly after you say no, I'll just move on to my next idea exactly.
Speaker 1: I love just the overall thing the movie really gives women and men permission to take risks and step out of their comfort zone, even when they're in this messy middle and in the process of choosing a new life. So I love to help our listeners and sort of inspire them through your story. So how would you suggest we start if we are feeling stuck and we want something new, something different.
Speaker 3: I mean the thing that comes to my mind, honestly is like two things. One is like the internal journey. So yeah, you're a really big believer. The older you get, I feel like my ability to feel my gut is like a lot better, Like I get like goosebumps when I'm having a certain feeling. And so part of what I'm always saying to people is like, deep down in your quiet, at this place when you turn off like all the noise, you know something that you might be saying. I don't know, but there is somewhere I mean speaking of like was it going to direct act? And at the same time, I went into like a deep sematic place with this person. So sematic therapy is kind of a really interesting therapy. I feel like when you're older. Because I've done a lot of talk therapy, right, so, like talk therapy is fantastic, but I'd done it for so long that wasn't really what was at the core of what I was trying to get at, which was like what do I really want to do? And I had to get like I did a session with this woman who I trust with everything, and we got real quiet and she's always asking like what is your body feeling here? What is your you know, and you have to settle in first. It's not something that just like comes right away because we have so much noise coming at us.
Speaker 2: But I had a session where.
Speaker 3: It was like the biggest like goose bumps and like weight came on me, which is what I would equate with like truth for me.
Speaker 2: Like because when it's when it's real fear, there's a lot.
Speaker 3: Of panic and like my throat starts to close. But when I'm in a place and if I pose the question like do I want to do everything?
Speaker 2: I was completely hit with like yes you do.
Speaker 3: And so I kind of knew, no matter what fear was coming up, that I had an answer and I just had to keep like trusting that and not because it's hard to fear can be two kinds of fear.
Speaker 2: Some fear is.
Speaker 3: Good fear, right, and it's telling you no. And then some fear is just a bunch of noise. And so part of it is just like when I'm not when I'm really quiet, what's what am I feeling?
Speaker 2: You know? And so but then the other part.
Speaker 3: Of that is asking for help, you know, like not thinking that any of this do you have to do alone?
Speaker 2: And no matter what it is, that you're utter what it is right, no matter.
Speaker 3: It doesn't like and we think, and also that you think you're supposed to know stuff you can't know until you know, Like like, oh I don't know, so I can't do it. It's like no, you you.
Speaker 2: Ask for help. You'll learn as you go, right, you know.
Speaker 3: And I really believe in it's scientifically proven that men and I don't know if it's a testosterone versus estrogen. I don't know what the core of it is or it's cultural or physical. I don't know, but like men are much more willing to jump in and believe that they can figure it out, and women are much more cautious. And it's like, you know, I had done two movies with young guys who wrote, directed, and started their movies and didn't think twice about it. And I'm a fifty five year old actress who's worked for many years, have been on a ton of sets and written scripts and directed episodes of stuff. And somehow I don't know if I have enough knowledge.
Speaker 1: To do this.
Speaker 2: And it's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: But and that is what we tell ourselves. The culture tells us. Maybe maybe estrogen. I mean I've always said, like gender is and real, but hormones are, you know. I don't know where I am on the spectrum. I just know that I need to like push myself a little bit from a place of love, though not push myself from a place of like, you know, you know, fear for you're being a coward, none of that.
Speaker 2: It's now compassion for yourself, ask for help.
Speaker 3: And listen to your gut, because your gut knows I'm you know, like I love my gut.
Speaker 2: I never knew it when I was younger.
Speaker 3: It was two, I was two nuts and everything was like too crazy. But now I feel like my gut really is strong.
Speaker 1: You know, It's so important that we get that comfortable with ourselves. Yes, I love that. That's so encouraging for people. The movie's so good. I just I want everybody to see it. So how can people see it?
Speaker 3: It's available right now, it's on demand anywhere on demand, So honestly what's great is it's on Amazon.
Speaker 2: I mean right now.
Speaker 3: It's like it's a rental or a buye. So there's this phase and distribution. You hope to find us home eventually where it's free for everybody, but it has to sort of perform well in video on demand, So that's what's happening first. So like anywhere like Apple, anywhere that you know, YouTube, anywhere where you could rent or buy.
Speaker 2: A movie for available, which is kind of fun.
Speaker 3: And it's ninety minutes, nice and easy, nice and easy.
Speaker 1: It's it's you're not going to be like it's too scared or you're not.
Speaker 2: It's just stuff in it.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, it's there's a funny but it ends with I mean there's some there's some emotion, there's some depth, I would like to think, but there's but it mostly is meant to give you a chance to laugh and to feel good at the end.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes, So if you're our age, you got to watch this movie.
Speaker 1: Because you will relate for sure. Okay, So before I let you go, Amy Landecker, what was your last I choose me moment?
Speaker 3: You know, I'm visiting my daughter right in Ireland right now, and I've been traveling a lot. I've been doing a lot of work trying to get the you know, for on behalf of the movie. I've had some other projects that are starting, and I was here and I was feeling guilty that I wasn't staying longer because technically I could kind of push it a day or two. And so funny, Nko Hiraga is facetiming me as telling me you're a little busy.
Speaker 2: Does not this does not happen.
Speaker 3: He never tell me he did a great young guy in the movie. For those who don't know, he's the hattie, He's the haughty youngster. But I had to just I've had a beautiful trip, and I'm like, you are pushing out of some guilt that your child hasn't even put on you, right like like it's like it's like, oh, I literally was like, is your nerve system? Does it need a change in the flight, a change in the hotel, like things that yes, I could do, but should I do. And I just kind of was like, no, I need to go home and my kid is fine, and it is my nervous system that needs to be taken care of at this point because there's been so much going on, and that would be like this weird moment. That's very hard for me because I have a separation anxiety. That is one of the things I've always had. And when I'm having a really good time, I think I should push it to have more instead of going, let's leave on a high note, you know what I mean, Like we had the best time. So I go, oh, but and you know she did say one time, like I wish you were here longer, right, you know, like oh, I wish you weren't good, And then I just go oh. I always have to watch that part of myself, you know, and guilty even leaving the dog to come here is the mom guilt because that dog I have like an dog who's like mistreated when she was little. And so I always have to sort of ask myself like like are you.
Speaker 2: Is like what do you need to do? What do you need right? What do you need to do?
Speaker 1: That is the best question we can ask ourselves, especially at the stage in our lives.
Speaker 5: Okay, it's okay, okay, better that than override and then have feel stressed and tired and things fall apart because you're not in a place where you have enough to give.
Speaker 1: Anyway, that's all what it's all about. That's what Choosing yourself, that's the core of it right there. Choose yourself so that you can be better for other people. Yeah, everybody, see this movie. You're going to love it.
Speaker 2: And I love you.
Speaker 1: You are a great lady.
Speaker 2: Thanks, it is so not you two.
Speaker 3: I'm so excited I got to talk with you.