Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, Robert Evans here, and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's going to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions. Ah, it's it could happen here a podcast about things falling apart, and today I'm I'm happy that we're we're recording this right now, James and Garrison, because we all just got a historic example of something falling apart Elon Musk's Big Silly rocket. We're recording this about a day or so after it exploded in mid air for the Gulf Coast, showering a turtle sanctuary with toxic waste. It's such a such a fun news that's comically perfect. Is really it is pretty cool?
Speaker 2: Perfect unless it crashed landed in a kitten farm. That couldn't really be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, perfect, No, I mean it. What's nice is that it's given me. It's made me feel young again because when I was a wee lad. I was attending a speech to debate rally in Cooper, Texas when the last Space shuttle to explode exploded directly over us, blowing out a bunch of the windows in the building and raining. Yeah, yeah, it was, it was. It was. Yeah. So I whenever whenever a space shuttle explodes over of some sort, explodes over Texas, I get powerful nostalgia.
Speaker 2: Well, they they slipped the surly bonds of Verse to blow out the windows in a high school in Cooper, Texas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's how the line goes. It makes me think of all the other things I was doing that day, which was namely playing Lord of the Rings risk in a high school gym. As we as we were wont to do great game, one of the better, one of the better risk covers. What are we talking about today, friendo buddies.
Speaker 2: Wells, Yeah, we're talking.
Speaker 3: About talking about one one man having having a fun time on Discord dot com.
Speaker 1: Yeah, doing the human equivalent of being a spaceship that explodes in the sky.
Speaker 3: I suppose Discord is not really a dot com. It's it's more, it's more it's more of a more of an application now. But yes, it is what.
Speaker 2: Good discord and that I'm permanently banned from LEA again, what did you do to discord?
Speaker 1: Discord should a video?
Speaker 4: Who's on discord right? Like the worst people, all of the worst people. You know.
Speaker 2: We tried to start a discord for the fundraising live show, and I tried with several emails and every time it came back with ban evasion.
Speaker 3: That is extremely funny, Jims.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I posted the chickens and it has never forgiven me.
Speaker 1: Wow. Well, I mean, you know, those chickens didn't consent and they were technically naked, so I think it does count as revenge points are always close. Chicken peck, Oh yeah, you're one of the pansies. There's a big conflict in chicken owners and James has taken aside. So we're talking this week about the discord leaks, and this is one of those things we came into this kind of debating how much detail to go into. But when we brought this up, like this is something that gare James and I is like a major thing in our bubble for the last like week, so we've all been following it. But when we brought this up in the work chat. Daniel had no idea that this had gone on. So we're going to start with a pretty basic overview of what people are calling the largest leak of top secret US military and defense data since you know Snowden. So we're we're going to go over all of that right now. I think I want to start by talking about out an MMO RPG called war Thunder.
Speaker 2: This is a can you break down MMO RPG for those of us.
Speaker 1: It's it's a it's like World of Warcraft. It's a big video game that is play that you play online with a bunch of strangers. It's a free game. You use like modern military weapons to like fight other players. And it's kind of well known for having extremely realistic renderings and sort of depictions of the functionality of modern tanks and armored transports and fighter planes and naval vessels. Right so, and it's it's it's like it's it's a game for war nerds, right Like there's you you utilize like radar in a way that's broadly realistic, Like if you shoot, you know, if one tank shoots in another, the tank's weaponry works the way it's supposed to in the real world. The armor is vulnerable where it's vulnerable in the real world. And this is like the appeal to the kind of nerds who play this game, and as you might guess, from a bunch of people who really want to, like, in the most realistic way possible, render and fight each other with modern military vehicles. A significant number of these dudes are members of various different like defense departments right, or at least are employed in some degree of various different national military forces several different As a result, like when arguments happen, you know, with any MMLRPG, if you're playing like World of Warcraft, right, and like something gets nerved or something isn't working as well as it's opposed to, you'll get these like massive threads in the forums where people are like arguing about how something needs to be changed or changed back, or how there's a glitch or whatever. And because war Thunder is so based in realism, when you have these arguments online, it's often like, well, you know, the F fifteen shouldn't work this way, it should work this way, and people will get into arguments about that, and then someone will as happened like a couple of weeks ago, I think someone will post sensitive and information about the F fifteen Strike Eagle in order to prove that it would function the way that they are arguing it should function in this forum debate. That happened earlier this year, and I think with the F fifteen, it wasn't technically top secret information. It was information that US citizens were allowed to have but not allowed to post online because that's a violation of something called ITAR, which is a thing that governs the export, essentially of military information and technology. But on another situation, I think, like a year or so ago, information of it, I believe the F twenty two was posted that was extremely sensitive. It was like top secret. And these are again like some dude who's got some sort of military job and has a clearance and thinks that the right way to use it is arguing about the video game war Thunder. These are not just Americans. I want to be clear about that. In July of twenty twenty one, there was a player arguing about a Challenger two tank who claimed to have been a former tank commander with the British Army, and he shared information from the Army Equipment Support publication. The information had been labeled unclassified, but it was actually classified, and other lakes has been a little more galling. A French Army soldier leaked information on the Clerk main battle tank that was top secret, and a Chinese user leaked capabilities at the Chinese Army's DTC ten one hundred and twenty five millimeters anti tank round that should not have been leaked. So thisat shit keeps happening in war Thunder. It's like a joke, like the war Thunder account when these discord leaks happened a week or so ago, like joked about it. But like the thing that the game is known for, Yeah, is these like different people in different national defense apparati can't stop themselves from like leaking stop secret info about vehicles.
Speaker 5: It's very funny.
Speaker 2: I guess the only reason I know why War th Under exists. I think it's the only reason why we know a decent amount of what like what by we here and meaning that could like I guess, uh, like Western militaries no, which of course we are all members of. No about like Russian main battle tanks is from war under leaks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, very funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you have to assume I would be surprised if no one had tried just like having you know, an agent from a national security agency in uh oh for sure, but they're trying to like be like trying to like provoke arguments about Chinese tanks or whatever. I'd be shocked if that hasn't happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the overlap between like people who might play warth Under anyway and people who might work for a national security agency, Like those Van diagrams are a circle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. So it's one of those things where this happens a bunch on war th Under. But it's just kind of something people joke about because these leaks like they're meaningful. I guess to like militaries care about them. But like you sitting at home, you hear like, oh, hey, details of like the couple of construction of the new Abrams like models as leaked. That's not like the same as I don't know, Chelsea Manning leaking information about like war crimes by the US military in Iraq, or Edward Snowden leaking info about like the NSA. Like it's a little less relevant to most people. What we started seeing a couple of weeks ago is documents top secret label documents, like actual pictures of straight up, unredacted, top secret US Defense Department documents just kind of filtering out over various discords, and they were kind of appearing in random little bits. You'd see one that was like an update on the war in Ukraine that was kind of showing concerns that the US military had about the ability of the Ukrainian military to carry out the counter offensive that everybody's expecting in the near future. You have like casualty estimates from the US military. Another document that was leak had like a bunch of information inside the Russian General Staff. So these are number one, very serious leaks, right you're talking about, especially with the leaks from inside Putin's kind of inner circle. You're talking about leaks that could potentially expose a major US source inside the Russian government. And you're also talking about leaks that just kind of revealed the degree to which the CIA has an enormous amount of information apparently at least about what's happening inside the Kremlin.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: So these are very significant leaks, but they didn't appear. They weren't being like you know, kind of filtered out and released by an agency like Wiki leaks. They weren't being sent to journalists. They were just kind of showing up in these you know, Discord is basically a series of chat rooms, and they were just kind of showing up in different discords. So this is, you know, a mystery, and it's the kind of mystery that, like a certain kind of person who is extremely online is not going to be able to get out of their head and is going to kind of try to trace back to its origin. And in the case of this specific mystery, the nerd who could not get it out of their head and decided to trace it back to its origin was my former boss at Bellingcat, Eric Tohler. Eric is a very nice guy, probably the most talented and skilled researcher that I've ever met in my life. And you know, Eric started seeing these, like everyone else, these top secret documents, and was like, where the fuck are these coming from? And this is one of those things we'll talk about. It's become extremely controversial among a certain set of people in the day since. But when this kind of started, Number one, you can't really deny there was an intense public interest in figuring out what the origin point of these was because that was the only way to figure out are the these actual leaks. When you see something that's just like listed as a top secret document randomly on the internet, if you call up the US government and you say, hey, is this real top secret impot, They're not gonna say yes, right like, you don't get that response from them, I mean.
Speaker 3: And especially right now with all of like the AI chat generation tools, Generating fake documents is one of the main things people are doing for disinfo, generating like fake sources, fake documents. Of course, you can like edit things further to like make them seem more realistic, but yes, you have someone who is extremely curious is going to wonder if this is actually like a real thing or if this is just some like bullshit prank or something.
Speaker 1: And there were edits of these documents did also go violin. In fact, Kucker Carlson one of the one of the original documents shows kind of US estimates for killed in action on Ukraine's on the Ukrainian side and on the Russian side in the war. Obviously, it showed more Russian casualties than Ukrainian casualties, which is consistent with all previous reporting, but the edit of it showed something like many times as many Ukrainian dead as Russian dead, which is something that was valuable for the people who are trying to argue that this war is unwinnable on behalf of the Ukrainians. Guys like Tucker Carlson who covered the leaks on his show and knowingly used the fake edit of the leak, I can't imagine. I have to assume it was knowingly because he had been very well exposed by that point, so there's really no other explanation, I think. But anyway, the fact that there were edits of these documents that were not legitimate going around, it's just kind of part of why there was a legitimate public interest in trying to figure out where the fuck are these things coming from. Eric is again an extremely good researcher, and through a mix of open source intelligence and eventually just kind of like calling up people and talking to them, he found what appeared to be the source of these leaks, which was an invitation only clubhouse on scored of like thirty ish people, most of whom were teenagers. Over time, it kind of became clear that this group was a bunch of kind of young people who had gotten together during the pandemic to talk about you know, games. These guys are all gamers. Most of them were like kids in high school, they kind of were cut off from their friends, so they wanted a place to be social. They would share memes, including like extremely racist, you know, borderline Nazi shit. They would like watch movies over and like chat over kind of the voice app. They were all what you call tradcats, which is like basically weirdo Catholic fundamentalists, like I think a lot of them deny Vatican two, that sort of shit. It's like a whole thing. A lot of them were that at least, so there was a lot of like praying and anyway, a bunch of weirdos. And the head of this group of weirdos was the oldest of them, a guy who was known on like in the discord as og and Og. He's a was you know, in the Land of the Teenagers, the person in the early twenties who can buy an AR fifteen is king. And so this this guy is in his early twenties. He's in the military, which he talks about. He posts videos of himself like shooting guns and like you know, saying racial slurs and like signposting to these like you know, weird memes and stuff that they're all into, which to them like makes him seem extremely cool.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 1: It's one of those things when you kind of read the different coverage of this, it's there's a little bit of like weird culty stuff going on. I don't know if i'd say that it was a cult in more than just like in.
Speaker 3: Every discord server is a cult exactly.
Speaker 1: The insular online communities like this very often reproduce aspects of cult dynamics. Right, Yeah, Hey, everybody, Robert here. We had a lot audio error obviously in the recording. I wanted to clarify this section because it was kind of garbled. The name of the discord server they were in was thug Shaker Central, which is potentially a reference to one of a couple of things. You'll find some disagreement about this online, but it's not really relevant. That's the discord name that they've worked under. You get, like the overall point of this, it's a bunch of like kids who are fans of games. They're fans of like this YouTuber Oxide. It's like a little group of dudes who got together via fandom and the pandemic and over the course of years developed like a shared culture, and part of the shared culture is this guy og who's the older one of them, you know, trying to keep them aware of what he thought was important about kind of global politics, and that particularly included aspects of battlefield conditions in Ukraine, information about North Korean ballistic missiles, all of this kind of stuf ugh that he had access to because spoilers he was in an Air National Guard wing as an intelligence and like it was in the intelligence sector of like an Air National Guard ring, and he had a security classification, right, And once this all got revealed, people are like, why the fuck is a twenty one year old because that's this guy's age have access to top secret data, And everyone who knows anything about the way our government classifies information was like most of the people have access are like twenty Yeah, it fits our wars fifty year olds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it just genuinely, like you know, like if we've been around war and conflict of the people who do it quite long, I think most people would be genuinely burn away that most people doing it are children.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And this has caused like obviously some problems before for the Defense Department, but it's also like it's kind of a thorny problem because like most of your workforce are always going to be young kids. These are spoiler's shitty jobs often and that's the only one who will do a lot of them. And also just like if you're fighting a war, most of the people you have that are going to be tasked the field intelligence are going to be in this age. And see, it's not at all weird that this guy had access to this shit. What is weird is that so he starts off kind of like arguing, you know, sometimes he'll bring up stuff that he knows that's from classified documents while he's arguing, you know, about the war in Ukraine or whatever with these friends online, and then he starts doing like a series of regular updates where he'll basically he'll type out details from like a bunch of different top secret documents and he's massive, long and apparently kind of hard to read posts, and he'll just like post them into the chat to kind of keep his friends abreast of what he thinks is you know, important, But he gets frustrated over time that like they're not reading this shit because it's really boring and like kind of weird to just info up top secret info, and they don't. These kids don't again, like these other folks are like in high school. They don't really realize where he's getting the info or what he has, but they do. The folks who do pay attention recognize over time that like stuff will happen in the real world that corresponds to something he posted a couple of weeks ago, and they're like, wow, he seems to have like actually really good information. Eventually, Og gets frustrated because he's not no one's paying attention to his posts, so he starts taking photos of just the top secret documents themselves and posting them in the discord day.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 1: Now this is unbelievably illegal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he really crosed a line there. I just don't believe it'd be dumb.
Speaker 1: By the way. It was illegal before, but this is really illegal.
Speaker 2: In terms of like allowing yourself making it so much easier for the consequences you're fucking around to find you like that. He crushed the rubicon right there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, and now we have to face the hard question is this guy an illegalist king or is he more problematic? And this is this is the question that we have to actually focus on now stop because it is. It is, on one hand, pretty funny. It's exceedmely funny.
Speaker 1: There's zero argument there among people who aren't ship heads. It's very funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's very funny that like he could be doing an illegalism without with zero intention of doing so.
Speaker 1: Now, I do think there's a some people have kind of errantly called him a whistleblower. I just not.
Speaker 3: That's not active. That is, that is not what he's doing. He's a Nazi who's posting top secret information to impress children online.
Speaker 1: That's right, Garrison. I do think we have to. I think we have to. Let's let's dig into that a little bit, because a whistleblower is somebody who exposes information from inside of an organization for some sort of purpose. Right, they believe that what's going on is wrong. They think that, like, they believe there's some sort of public interest in information that is being kind of siloed inside of an organization that they're a part of, and they release that organization. Right, fundamentally, that's what a whistleblower is. This guy was telling his friends and this thirty person discord, do not post these anywhere else. This is not stuff that you're allowed to share. This is just for your eyes because we're friends, right. He does not intend for this to get out. But here's the thing. All of his friends in this group are like dumb kids, and just like those people on war Thunder, they start getting into arguments with people outside of the discords yet and other discords discords. One of them is a fan discord for some other YouTuber, one of them is the discord is a Minecraft discord, and they get into arguments with random other users about like the war in Ukraine and stuff. And when they're having those arguments, they'll hear someone make a point and they'll think back to a top secret document that OGPO and they'll be like, well, I know you're wrong because I've seen like some CIA like satellite footage that like shows that this isn't accurate. And rather than being like, well, I guess I can't prove this person wrong on the internet without exposing my friend in our private discord to being imprisoned for the decade, they just grab top secret documents that he posted and they post them in these other discords. And that's how this shit breaks containment. Right now, It's one of those things I do want to note that, like, these are not generally speaking, super pleasant people. OG is the kind of guy who, like one of his big arguments that he tries to like make to these kids, he like claims that based on the top secret info he has, which he posts, nothing that proves this, the mass shooting in Buffalo, New York by that Nazi at that majority you know, black frequented grocery store, that that was like a government plot to institute gun control, and shit, it was a false flag. So he's not just posting good. He's like lying here too, because obviously there's no intelligence to post backing that up. He just he's just kind of trying to It's a mix of he's trying to like prove that, you know, he's trying to make arguments about like what's happening, you know, in various overseas conflicts using at US intel, but he's also just like spreading different kind of conspiracy theories that he has to these kids who are by and large looking up to him. There's a couple like the Washington Post has done some really deep reporting where they talk to some of these kids who they're like, yeah, man, we loved him, Like when he realized this shit had broken containment, he like called us and we were all crying because we knew he was going to go to prison. Like there they seem legitimately distraught. Yeah, there's like lines like he said something had happened, and he prayed to God that this event would not happen, but now it's in God's hands. Like these are like weirdo ashy. I hesitate to like condemn like the literal children too much because they're very vulnerable. This guy is like by This guy is a bad person who is deeply like in a very fucked up way, influencing this group of like thirty ish teenagers on the internet in his like weird politics. It's not great. Now that's separate from the question of like is there a value to these leagues, which we can talk about in a little bit. But so as we've talked about Eric Tohler tracks down where this is happening, tracks down like the name Og publishes a piece on Belling Cat. It's sort of ripped off by like I don't know it does like every other newspaper in the world, and then additional reporting is done Belling Cat and The New York Times team up and they eventually like track down and publish an article on who this guy is, an airman named Jack Tik Sarah, And they publish an article about that about a day before this guy gets arrested by the FBI. And it's one of those things, one of the if you if you look at the FBI Affid David, it kind of makes clear how the FBI cracked this guy down and found him because they did so, you know, using the resources they had before the Times did online. People have been going after The Times and Eric for like revealing this guy to the government, which is not the case. Basically, once it became clear what had gotten leaked, the FBI, because they had access to you know, the systems by which people utilize and get access to sensitive compartmented information, found out who had most recently like on the days that kind of corresponded to the leaks, pulled up information about that and narrowed it down to this guy Jack. They like it, and they were they had access to Like one of the things they did is they called Discord and talked to Discord, and Discord helped them track down where the leaks were originating. From. And then because they could see that the account that had posted you know, the top secret data originally was a paid account, they were able to like provide the FBI with this guy's home address and the shit. This is exactly what you'd expect for the f.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, the FBI has a lot of non open source means to do this type of investigation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they are not doing what Eric is doing and just kind of like clicking through shit for hours and hours and hours until they figure out where it's come from. Like they have they are the FBI, they have access to other things, and.
Speaker 2: It's what you'd expect from Discord too, right, Like they will comply with whatever they absolutely these are top secret that like if they don't have a legal choice here, they're a gigantic company, they're going to comply.
Speaker 1: So this is the kind of thing where like one of the there's this big argument I don't even even though it's big, but there's definitely like a weird chunk of the left that has like leaned on because the right has immediately started calling this guy a whistleblower. Fucking Marjorie Taylor Green was like he's a Christian and he's a leaker trying to expose crucial details about our government, and no he wasn't. He was like trying to fucking groom some teenagers and they posted it without his permission.
Speaker 3: And a lot of a lot of the more conspiracy type stuff is like trying to call out like you know, it's a lot of the more conspiracy related stuff is related to the Russian invasion of Ukraine and making it seem like the US is doing things that are wrong and secretly helping the Ukrainians too much, and it kind of it it plays into this weird, weird thing that people have against the way Biden's been handling the geopolitics around the Russian invasion, and it's like it it plays into a whole bunch of right wing talking points we've seen around Russia. You know, We've seen this type of stuff get talked about by Tucker Carlson quite often. There's there's a there's a whole bunch of like little nodes that this that that this touches on, and we even we even see stuff like that among like you know, people who are authoritarian communists, right who are who are still pro Russia despite Russia not being a communist country, but still like being like, oh, there, you know, this is something he's trying to expose the things that are people are doing wrong to Russia, and it's like okay, all right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and to me it's one of them. And there's also you've gotten among some chunks of this attitude that like, well, you know, I don't care why he did it or like what he is in his personal life. Any leak you know of the US military machine is good and should be you know, protected. And it's like, for one thing, this guy like nobody knew where these things were coming from. There was a vested need in sort of figuring out what the origin point was to figure out if they were accurate. But for like another thing, I don't know, man, you can argue about like what point you know, the digging, whether or not, like the it's ethical to dig this shit back to its source. I would argue that like people also have a right to know if there's some sort of fucking like like if the documents were fake or altered in some way, there was a reason to be trying to figure out the providence of this shit. But more to the point, like I think it's good to have access to like data from inside of our military. I think that's that's broadly positive. And when I look at these data, or when I look at what's been leaked, I don't think most of it's you know, one of the concerns that's always that always exist when you're talking about a leak of data is like, is this going to expose like potentially innocent people to any kind of arm And there is a potential for that with some of this, because some of it dealt with Ukrainian military readiness for the upcoming offensive, and like, well, like I don't really care if some guy inside the Kremlin who's like a member of the Russian General Staff and a double I don't care if that guy, like something bad happens to him. He's probably not a great dude. But but I do care about like a bunch of random Ukrainian soldier potentially getting harmed. Now, I will say, from what I can tell from this, I think the odds of that are pretty low. It looks like this has impacted kind of the timetable for the counter offensive, but I don't know that it's I haven't seen any evidence that it's exposed things in a way that's like going to cause loss of life, although it's a little bit unclear as to whether that not that might happen. But also, while I think it's accurate to say, I'm not saying evidence that like a lot of people's safety have been harmed by these leaks, it's also not you know, what we're It's not anything like what Snowden did or what Manning did. Right again, Manning revealed, you know, videos like the collateral murder video, evidence of like breakdowns of order and things that I think are accurate to call war crimes that were being kind of hidden by our government, whereas Snowden revealed intense details about an n Essay spying program. All of that's extremely relevant to the average American. Most of this is just kind of like wonky inside base fall military stuff, which again I'm not like sad that it's gotten out, but it's also not It really does seem like a bunch of shit that like a guy pulled out based on his own kind of like weird interests. It's not there's not like a strong unifying theme around them. And again, most of it's most of it's shit that's not going to be interesting to the average person. One of the documents I just read an article about, because like, we don't entirely know everything that was leaked right now, right there's been there's like the Post in the time seem to have a pretty complete archive of what was leaked, but they haven't published anything because you know, they're reading through it and you know, actually reporting it out. One of the articles that just came out was about the fact that the Ukrainians made some overtures to the Kurdish led self administration in in northern northeast Syria, to Rojava, to the SDF in order to talk about the potential for them attacking Russian assets in elsewhere in Syria. When and this has kind of gotten out over like Twitter, it's often been like described as, oh, the Ukrainians were going to team up with the Courage to attacked Russia in Syria, like like this was an actual, like serious plan. Would you actually see the document? It seems a lot less inciting than that. Basically, what happened was some folks on the Ukrainian General staff or whatever were like looking into the possibility, Hey, you know, is there any way that we could kind of anything we could pay the Kurds over in Syria to carry out an attack on the Russians, and apparently they had access to somebody who claimed to be in the SDF at least, and that person was like, we might be able to do something if you can get us some anti air defenses, right, which I don't know how Ukraine could possibly ship meaningful anti air defenses to northeast Syria. It's kind of bordered on all sides. There is some stuff if you're a walk in the region. There's some interesting stuff about this, which is that the SDF basically responded, like we could potentially do this, we couldn't attack Russian assets that are within the borders of the self administration. Russians are acting as peacekeepers there between Turkey and you know, it's kind of desire to invade the entire region. They're not great as peacekeepers. The Armenians will tell you that Russian soldiers are not great, great givers. But the SDF didn't want to like ship where they were eating, right, so there was some like debate about where they might be able to attack. One of the things that is really interesting about this week is that apparently Ukraine like talk to Turkey about this because obviously the Turks consider the core of the SDF the YPG to be a terrorist organization. But when Ukraine was talking to them, they're like, hey, we might basically bribe these people to carry out an attack on Russian assets elsewhere in Syria. Turkey was like, okay, well don't do it here here here, because that's kind of close to some our guys might like that. That party is interesting. But again, none of this matters all that much because nothing happened as far as we know. In December, Zelenski was like, no, don't proceed with looking into this. This is the kind of thing like the US military has, like plans for what happens if you have to fight Canada. This is the kind of thing defense departments do. And as far as I can tell, there's no evidence that went much for them, like a series of phone calls right which, by the way, the SDF denies ever happened. I don't know what exactly occurred. I don't know if it's hard for me to tell. Did the Ukrainians were they talking to someone who was actually a representative of the sdf's like military hierarchy, or was this like some guy that they thought was because maybe Ukraine doesn't have great context into the air like or did the US, And it's it's not kind of clear. Did the US maybe like hook them up with somebody, but it doesn't like at the at the end of the day, you can argue, as someone who follows the region, I find this kind of interesting. It's not exactly like groundbreaking, you know, in its importance, because nothing happened, no one did anything. This is like some guys in Ukraine thought about doing a thing and then decided not to, which is you know, potentially interesting context. But we're not talking about the manning or the snowed in lakes here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's yeah, it's that particular document I think is kind of clearly they have access to people who have formally fought in Syria with the YPG right there. There are probably dozens of them now fighting in Ukraine without a volunteer units. Like it's it's not hard to see how this thought came up. But like you said, nothing really happened. It was just some people like spitbolling.
Speaker 1: So I don't know. There's some other like bits and stuff in here that are kind of interesting. One of them was there was a document in there about how the US had kind of like interfered in peace negotiations in Yemen due to like kind of concerns that they had about the fact that China was kind of brokering a degree of peace between the Houthi rebels in between the Saudi government. There's definitely some like slightly some somewhat shady shit from the US and there, but at the end of the day, it didn't derail the peace negotiations. It's just like, yeah, they were like like like and a lot of it's like that where it's kind of like this is useful context. I'm glad historians or journalists reporting it out will have that. But at the end of the day, like the fact that like, oh hey, at one point in these peace negotiations the US was like, you know, being being kind of a kind of a dick isn't exactly like shocking. You know, It's not going to like change your overall concept of what's happening over there. It's not stuff that like is most of it's not stuff that's like massively important important. It is really interesting that the detail that are our defense establishment apparently has from within the Russian government I do think it's worth noting because we're talking like when we talk about sort of the the provenance of these and the reliability of these leaks. As they regard the war in Ukraine, there's been a lot of talk about like, oh, this reveals that like the Ukraine doesn't have the capacity to carry out a counter offensive, or that the war has gone much worse for them than they think. It is kind of worth noting that, like, prior to the expanded Russian invasion, all US military intelligence suggested that the Ukrainian government was going to fold in a matter of days. So even though a lot of this is top secret info, that doesn't mean it's like one hundred percent accurate. Right Like our guys, like think back to the Iraq War. Our dudes get shipped right und constantly. It is. Again, this is all really interesting, And I will say two things. I think it's very funny that this this guy nuked his entire life basically to impress children on a discord. I think it's extremely funny. I have laughed many a time at this. I also think it's like, like, as someone who is interested in this stuff, interesting that and good that we have this context. I don't think any of this is like massively surprising or shocking. Like the shit that's in that defense industry or intelligence agency analysis of the Ukrainian position right now is like stuff that you would know if you were paying attention to the good ocent aggregators who have been covering the war, and if you've been like just reading good reporting on what's going on over there. I'll read a little bit of a summary from an article that's kind of going over some of the other stuff that appears to have been leaked. One details information apparently obtained through US eavesdropping on Russia's Foreign intelligence service and suggests that China approved the provision of lethal aid to Russia and its war in Ukraine early this year and planned to disguise its military equipment as civilian items. Another includes details of a test conducted by Beijing on one of its advanced experimental missiles, the DF twenty seven Hypersonic light vehicle, on February twenty fifth. It says the vehicle flew for twelve minutes across thirteen hundred miles and that it possessed a high probability of penetrating US ballistic missile defense systems. The documents contain new details about a Chinese spy balloon dubbed Killeen twenty three by US intelligence agencies, that earlier this year flew over the UNI United States. They detail sophisticated surveillance equipment. US intelligence agencies were aware of up to four additional Chinese by balloons. The documents a and another previously unreported revelation, and so let's kind of break that down. One thing we have here is basically an argument through from the US that based on their intercepts, they believe that China has approved provisioning weaponry, selling weaponry to Russia and disguising it as civilian items. That doesn't mean they have done this. It means that, like there's sigent that someone in our government has that says that they were. That could be disinformation from them. It could be out of date. It could be something like with this Ukraine and Syria thing that they talked about doing and then didn't do. It's interesting, I would say, if you are a defense industry reporter, it's something that woul could should definitely spur you to further reporting, because like that's really relevant if that's occurring. But it's not the final word on the matter. Meanwhile, you've got this thing on like, Yeah, this hypersonic missile the Chinese had is good at shoot and shit. Theoretically, this is you know, the kind of thing that's interesting and I think is probably more accurate than you know, talking about the China providing lethal aid because you can kind of you know, theoretically you're looking at actual like data on how the missile has performed. It just seems like it's something that you've got more fidelity on. But this is again to kind of contrast it with like the snowed and Manning leaks. Well, what do you do if like the NSSAY is spying on people? Well, you could at least attempt to pass laws that restrict their ability to do that. Right, What do you do if there have been like war crimes committed by your military that were then cover it up, Well, you can at least attempt to prosecute people. What do you do if some other countries got a better missile? Well, there's not a whole lot for you to do sitting at home and like New York City or you know, fucking Austin, Texas, Right, Like, like, what are we to do about China's hyper I don't know. My assumption, generally speaking, not that this is an interesting but my assumption generally speaking is that when you're talking about Russia, China, the United States, we can all murder each other if we wanted to write, like we've all got real nice missiles at this point. And it's this, you know, the Chinese by balloon stuff is like interesting. I don't think anyone's surprised by this. Like we knew there was a spy balloon. I assumed it had sophisticated surveillance technique. It's again, it's interesting that there were four other spy balloons in the area. But we simply know from older reporting that this happened like three or four times while Trump was in office too, So like, yeah, this is something we've known about. There's been reporting about. This is corroboration. That's interesting. Again, none of this is really like a sea change in our understanding of any of these conflicts. It is interesting context. Some of it's being blown up, you know, into stuff that it isn't. There's reporting and like the number of US servicemen in Ukraine that's being like spun is like we've got boots on the ground there, and it's like, well, they're like embassy guards and stuff. There's like twenty nine dudes that this like confirmed. Michael, Yeah, yeah, this confirms there's not a lot of US guys on the ground there.
Speaker 2: You send a lot of people when we're doing wars. But yeah, like every embassy in the world has a contingent of marines who make sure that it doesn't just get Yeah. I don't want to say bang ghazied, but yeah, yeah, you know big Ghazi. Yeah, that's fine. And this is not new news to anyone who's been paying attention. But if you are Michael Tracy, this is brain melting shit.
Speaker 1: Michael Tracy's a weirdo quasi left journalist who like early on in the war he didn't want to go into Ukraine very much, but he like hung out in Poland and took pictures of like US soldiers and like a facility that they were had been in for years and was like, look, you know, this is evidence of the secret US support. And it's like, guys, I mean, for one thing, like look at this, Look at how much shit just leaked out because some kid wanted to impress children. If there were like like secret massive formations of US troops or even large like forces of US specops guys carrying out operations in Ukraine. How good do you think they'd be at keeping that shit secret? Right? For one thing? Like Special Forces guys get killed all the fucking time, Like they get killed, they get overrun, like like's it's a terrible risk for US to just like send Seal Team six in to fight the Russians when spoilers, the Ukrainians have really good Special Forces guys every bit as good as ours actually with in a lot of cases more experience fighting this kind of war. And we're given And it's like, if you want to talk about US involvement, we're giving them their weapons. Like we're involved fucking plenty. There's just not much of a point in US like sending the green fucking Berets into Bakamut, right, Like why that doesn't That doesn't help us at all, That doesn't like help our government. That's not like good for the military. It would be stupid anyway, whatever, anything else to talk about here?
Speaker 2: Do we want to talk about the Israel one?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no, this is one of the interest although it's not again basically one of the things that leaked. Is like the US is spying on all of its allies, which this leaks every couple of years. We're always spying on our allies, including Israel. Israel has spied on US a bunch. That's why they have nuclear weapons. Yeah, James, you want to talk about this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So this is a document that basically what it alleges is that what has been alleged, perhaps incorrectly, is that it was encouraging Mossad staff to attend protests against net Yahoo when he was attempting his liketo golpe like his coup from within, what do you want to call that? Right, he was attempting to centralize power, right, yeah, yeah, yeah, Now it's a LEAQD. Like you said, it's a document. It says that I'm quoting from it, or I'm quoting from reporting on it. At least senior leaders of the Mossad spy Service advocated for Mossad officials and Israeli citizens to protest the new Israeli governments, proposed judicial reforms, including several explicit calls to action that decried the Israeli government. According to Singet Signals Intelligence, the Infamy, So actually Netanyahu himself has been asked about this, and it's worth he appointed the Mossad director, a guy called David I think it's Baynya, and he has also he's on the record previously in news media before this saying that he had clarified to Mosad personnel who could attend protests and who could not attend, like because at a certain point in any of these things, that you're not allowed to be explicitly political, right folks, even at a very low point in the US military, Like you're not supposed to say and do certain things. So there was a petition that went out earlier, and again this has already been reported. They that were sent by intelligence offices basically saying like, we'll go on strike. And there had been again like widely reported instances other Israeli military people saying that they would go on strike or not shot up for work if these judicial reforms went ahead. So I think again it's been kind of we've really stretched. What was interesting I thought was that it had a Feiser label on FI series to Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, and if people aren't familiar, basically it allows US intelligence to wire tap things, which they can do it without warrant if it doesn't include a US person. So a US person is not just a citizen, but also maybe a permanent resident something like that, right, like like a person who has more rights than others in the United States. But in this case they seem to have got a fis a warrant, which it's very easy to get, right. It's like a closed courtroom procedure where they go to a judge and like it's not like an adversarial argument. Now there's no one who argues that you should get the warrant, and so in practice they nearly always get these warrants. But what it showed they have to just prove it its intelligence asset of a foreign power. And so it showed that at some point they went for a judge and said, like, hey, you know, we need to wiretap some kind of some kind of communications or I'm using wiretap in the broad sense or specific sense. But it's interesting I think that that they have some intelligence asset in the United States and said, hey, we know this an Israeli intelligence asset. And to be clear that this could just be shits going in and out of the embassy that they've decided that they needed to wyattap that and keep an eye on that now, given given that like it's Rael's foreign policies has been talking terrible for decades, but net and Yahoo is a new degree of crazy. Uh it is. It's unsurprising that like anyone concerned with I guess international relations would would want to know more about what is going on.
Speaker 1: And again like that's it's interesting context. As you noted, a lot of this had been reported out previously, So yeah, we're it's it's just like it's it's it's all interesting again. I'm my, my, my, My attitude here is like I'm glad this information is out and I don't really care what happens to Jack tech Sierra. Like yeah, in my in my ideal world, the policing infrastructure that's come down on this kid would not exist. But he made this decision knowing full well what happened when you leak top secretly, Like it's one of those things where it's like just just within the context of shit that's fucked up in our country. The thing I'm going to be upset about is not a kid leaking top secret info to win an online argument and then having it blow up on him, right, Like, especially not a kid who's a fucking Nazi. At the end of the day, he did something that was obviously done. It's like if some guy hops on Twitter under his real name and starts posting pictures of heroin and saying, hey, guys, this is my name and address. I'm selling hella heroin. Here's photos of a felony quantity of heroin and guns. Well, I think heroin should be legal, but I'm not gonna, like, I'm not gonna like make a crusade out of that guy's arrest because that's stupid. Like, like, you know what happens if you post, hey, here is my at home address and name. Here is all of the heroin I'm selling. Yeah, you'll probably get in trouble because you have posted online a serious crime. Obviously that could be a problem for you. That's not my primary concern in the world when people do really stupid shit and it blows up on them and it's like again, leakers, you look at the way Manning proceeded, You look at the way Snowden proceeded. They were aware of the danger of what they were doing. I mean, you know, Chelsea did years in fucking prison. Snowden fled the country. That's because because they were whistleblowers, they under they under they understood this is a serious like this is very illegal, and I have to try to take steps to protect myself because the government's going to come after me. The thing about Jack is like just the level of like arrogance that like I can post this shit all day long and nothing will happen. It was like, well, for one thing, this is never going like it's information you're posting online, Like I don't care. There's no way to keep stuff completely contained within a thirty person discord. It's going to leak out, and when it is, the government's gonna want to know who the fuck is leaking this ship. And you took like took pictures of this shit inside his home, Like it's just dumb. I'm not gonna like I don't at the end of the day, I have no room in my sympathy for like a fucking fascy kid who committed the dumbest crime possible and got in trouble, Like I don't know. There's there's people who I don't know. For example, we're camping in a forest and are getting charged with terrorism and facing longer penalties, Right, Jack might do fifteen years at the most, which is like fucked up, I guess. But you know, there's people facing a lot worse for a lot less, and I just, you know, whatever, I don't care what happens to this kid. He seems like he sucks. I think the leaks are interesting. There's nothing in here that's like fundamentally changed my understanding of geopolitics though. Yeah, that's where I am.
Speaker 2: I would agree. It is a useful reminder to keep your crime offline.
Speaker 1: Yeah, don't continue, continue to not post crimes on the internet. If you're selling heroin, don't post on Twitter. Here is my name and home address. Anyone want to buy some fucking China white, that's not a great idea.
Speaker 3: If anyone has any top secret documents, you can find me on the Star Wars the Old Republic forums. Just just post, just post them there. Yeah, I am part of the Jedi Initiative program, So just locate that and it'll be I'm sure, I'm sure I'll see it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I am on the the the Nozdormo server on World of Warcraft. You can just hit me up under my U my given name. Just dm me and we'll figure it out. You can send that ship to me over AOL instant messenger. That's how I take all of my leaks. The most secure platform.
Speaker 2: You can find me in a Mountain Project comment section where any good things happen.
Speaker 1: So we're all on war Thunder too, so you can get there too for work reasons. Yeah, I'll be shipped talking.
Speaker 2: Your your grading on a problem, but also accepting national security two weeks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we do, We do it all, all right, everybody. That's an episode, Hello podcast Enjoys.
Speaker 2: It's me James today and I am joined again by mo. They are an educator, attorney, abolitionist, and they serve overlapping communities of activists, queer people, and prisoners. And we've heard from them before. We have from them about June eleventh, but today we're talking about something a little different. We're talking about redistributing power in the attorney client relationship. How are you.
Speaker 7: I'm doing okay. How are you, James?
Speaker 2: I'm existing, I'm fine, I'm thriving. So, yeah, you wanted to talk today? He reached out to talk about this. I think it's a really interesting topic and one that, like I've become increasingly more aware of in my coverage of some sort of different stuff. That's various prosecutions, I guess in the US, and so I was very interested in this. Can you preps like start out by explaining what it is exactly that you want you wanted to discuss within the attorney client relationship.
Speaker 7: Yeah, sure. I wanted to talk about building a trusting relationship with your attorney where you feel heard and respected and understand what you have a right to expect from your attorney and feel empowered to push for it. And this actually I want to address this both from the side of the client, particularly for people who are accused of criminal offenses, and I also want to speak a little bit to the people who may be representing folks who are accused criminal offenses. For people accused of criminal offenses, I want to make sure that anyone in that position really understands what you have a right to expect from that relationship and to feel really confident asking for it. For people who are representing individuals who are politically radical or people who are facing politically motivated prosecutions, I want those attorneys to feel safe and ethically empowered to practice criminal defense in a way that honors the goals of clients who may define their legal interests not with respect to only their own personal liability, but with respect to a larger set of principles or a larger community.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, yeah, that's a very it's a good distinction to draw, and I think a good thing for people to be thinking about. So why is this sort of a topic that's important right now?
Speaker 7: Well, so, I certainly don't want to say that participating in protests or in social movements is dangerous, or that it's even more dangerous than it has been in the past, but I am concerned that we might be seeing some arrests and charges that are a little more unhinged than we've seen in a while. So this isn't new, but it may be new to a newer generation of activists. And I think some of the community knowledge that was cultivated and held twenty or thirty years ago maybe outdated, or it might be inaccessible to folks who weren't involved back then, or maybe who weren't involved in things that were like subject to this level of state repression twenty or thirty years ago. So that includes activists, but it also includes even very experienced criminal defense attorneys who maybe haven't interacted with these kinds of pressingcutions, you know, for whatever reason, because they were doing a different area of practice, maybe because this what was happening to the people they were representing in the geographic area where they practice, or like it wasn't happening at the time that they were practicing. So I think that people on both sides of the attorney client relationship could benefit from considering that there are some maybe important and time tested methods of working to mount a collaborative defense in the context of a politically motivated prosecution.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's just to kind of piggyback off what you said. I think it's incredibly valuable. Often, like if you've been part of social movements, protest movements, what if you want to call it, like for a long time. Often we do have to learn things like the institutional memory of movements can be quite short, and a lot of people have come to the protest movement now who were not, like in my own case, like involved in sort of the campaign against neoliberal globalization in the early two thousands, where we screwed up a lot and learned a lot, and some of us are still around, and some of us are not sadly yet because part of the screw ups that that happened, and like a lot of people understandably right have been radicalized by having their bodily autonomy attacked by seeing the cops continue to murder people after we all got in the streets and got shot with robb bullets to ask them to stop murdering people. Like all these things that have understandably made people realize that the institutional the institutions haven't really responded to their demands for basic human decency, and so yeah, they might find themselves out in the streets and government doesn't generally yield power willingly, and certainly government right now is doing everything to kind of take what little liberty and autonomy folk have slice into that. So it's very reasonable to consider these things. So if in this attorney client relationship, what would be some areas of friction or of maybe I'm phrasing that wrong, but like places where people might want to advocate for themselves in order to get an outcome that they desire.
Speaker 7: Right, Well, so I'll certainly get more into the specifics, but I guess you know, I want to talk about this because I am seeing disconnects between people in these relationships, and just from where I sit, I feel like I can see what's going wrong, and I think that there are some straightforward solutions, and I think that having compassion each each party having compassion for the other can be really useful here. So I think like one thing that's happening is that attorneys are very much educated to be confident unto the point of arrogance, and clients often either don't feel authorized to push back on their attorney's ideas, or they do and attorneys to then just maybe steamroll them. And this is not entirely because attorneys are assholes. I think it is because criminal defense attorneys are very often taught to minimize their clients' legal liability by any means necessary, well, by any lawful means. I guess that is what I should say. So for criminal defense attorneys who do not primarily work with movement aligned clients, this often means negotiating deals with the prosecution that involve cooperating with the state's investigation, handing over information on your confederates, putting the client in an isolated or adversarial position with their co defendants or co arrestees, or doing things that require a person to renounce or disparage the people or the communities that they've been involved with that they come from. And I think it's true that using these kinds of tactics to minimize your own legal risk is very often what people charged with criminal offenses want, But that sort of approach is often at odds with movement values, and it's often totally inconsistent with what activists want. Activists want when they are facing charges. So, you know, trying to minimize legal consequences is, you know, certainly always a part of our job, and it's often a totally valid thing for lawyers to be doing. But the idea that an attorney's job is solely to mitigate legal fallout is not actually entirely accurate. What lawyers are supposed to do is work with the client to help the client articulate their goals, and then the attorney should use their expertise and their experience to help the client lawfully pursue those goals. And that's what attorneys are supposed to do in every case. But I think it often becomes most salient when the client's goals are less focused on minimizing legal consequences and more focused on, for example, highlighting movement messages or acting in solidarity with other people who are facing similar charges. So you know, again, I'm talking about this right now in the context of explicitly politically motivated prosecution, but frankly, the goals of the client have to lead in all cases.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course. So one thing that we've chatted, that little bit that I think maybe folks in some areas that I've looked at might not have been aware of. It's a concept of a joint defense. Could you explain for people who aren't familiar what that looks like.
Speaker 7: So, a joint defense is a way of approaching a legal case where there are multiple defendants or multiple arrestees. Typically, in a criminal case, if you have multiple defendants, there's sort of a presumption that their interests are at odds with each other, that you know, one of them or one or more of them is going to get thrown under the bus to reduce the punishment of one or more of the others. When we're talking about something like a mass arrest or an arrest that takes place in the context of a social movement where there are multiple defendants, very often those people do not see their interests at being an odds with each other. Very often they see their interests as being unified, and so they want to act in solidarity with each other. And there are a bunch of reasons for this that are legal, and they're also political and social reasons, right, just in terms of people you know, having carrying social relationships. They often have commitments to each other and to community. But politically, people often feel that their individual legal interests are less the important thing that's at stake, and that the thing that's at stake is actually the health and welfare of their social movement, right, and that if they did do something like cooperate with the state's investigation, they would actually be undermining their larger social movement goals. Legally, and this is really important legally, having a joint defense agreement or using a joint defense approach allows all of those people to work together in a privileged context, right because they share a unity of interest, and so they and their attorneys are able to work on legal strategy together, are able to do things like negotiate for non cooperating plea agreements as a block, are able to just have you know, more eyes on the problem, more people doing legal research, more people drafting motions, right, and so in a very material sense, this is often a legal strategy. Working together actually leads to better legal outcomes for every body involved. So I want to be clear that this approach, both you know, using joint defense agreements and using that approach, but also just in terms of an individual attorney client relationship, acting in a way that's more collaborative is not just cosmetic, and it's not just something that makes you feel good if you're someone who's committed to anti authoritarian principles. In a material way, approaching the attorney client relationship in a way that is calculated to more fully incorporate the goals and expertise of the client or of many clients leads to better legal outcomes, less punitive outcomes. It leads to outcomes that are more closely aligned with client values, and it leads to outcomes that are better understood by the client, even if those outcomes are.
Speaker 2: Bad, right, yeah, yeah, least they're part of that process. And I think a great example of joint defense that we discussed would be the J twenty case. Right, If I'm not mistaken, it was a group of folks who were tried together or who amounted to joint defense I guess against charges that were like fouled against some Trump's inauguration.
Speaker 7: It was something they were cattled in DC protesting Trump's inauguration, and there were more than two hundred people arrested in this mass arrest, and they had a very coordinated defense, and they all worked together, and ultimately, I'm going to say, in large part because they had so many eyes on the problem, they had so many people working on it, they were able to really go through discovery, go through the state's evidence against them, and find prosecutorial misconduct that led to the favorable resolution of those cases. The other thing that they did is that they really all refused to cooperate with the state's investigation, which limited the harm that was done to larger social movements because it meant that people were not just rolling over on each other and giving the state information to which it was not entitled, right, like you know, information about people's relationships or interpersonal conflicts, or you know, different kinds of First Amendment protected information that the state always wants to have about activists but which they actually are not entitled to, but which they often end up getting because people who are facing criminal charges. You know, sometimes will will offer that up in exchange for you know, what they hope will be some lenience.
Speaker 2: I think that was a really good explanation of of how these techniques, like you say, they're not just cosmetic. It's not posturing or an aesthetic thing. It can result in material benefits as well as aligning with your moral desires. Can you explain substantively then, how this looks in an attorney client relationship, either with an individual or as a group, Matt your joint defense.
Speaker 7: So, you know, like any other relationship that's predicated on anti authoritarian principles and shared values of mutual aid and self determination, it requires building trust. It requires clear expectations, honest communication, respect for each other's expertise and consent. And I think, you know, the piece that I think is sometimes missing is a real understanding from both parties that the accused is the person who has rights and liberty on the line. The accused is the person whose goals matter. The accused is the person who needs to be able to make decisions about things like whether or not to accept a plea offer, whether or not to cooperate with the state, whether or not to go to trial and whether or not to testify a trial. The attorney is presumably the person who has a lot of expertise with the law and a lot of experience with the legal system, and that is valuable and important. But you know it, really I want people who are facing criminal charges to understand how much power they ought to feel comfortable exercising in this relationship. You know, it is up to the accused whether they want their attorney to take part in a joint defense strategy. Now we are seeing some stuff. I have recently seen some bond conditions imposed on people facing criminal charges that appear to me to make it very difficult for attorneys to engage in a joint defense strategy because sometimes it looks like these co defendants are being forbidden from communicating with each other, and so, you know, that is an interesting wrinkle. But one of the things that can mean is that it's up to the accused whether they need their attorney to go and argue to have that bond condition removed.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, I thought of that, But there are definitely especially if you are being proscuted in a group it's alleged to you've conspired to do something illegal, then yes, that might be condition of your bond, and that would make it very hard to do a joint defense. But like you said, that's when you should feel empowered to ask your attorney to stop that from being a thing.
Speaker 7: Right, Right, the person who's facing charges gets to make these decisions, right, And I'm saying, well, it's your right to decide whether to be involved in a joint defense. It's also your right to decide not to be. You can absolutely exercise your right to independent counsel, meaning the right to have an attorney who is not representing anyone else who's involved in your case, like who is not in any way connected to a co defendant or co arrest. Now, this is not to say that your attorney has to do everything you want and they're just a yes man, and that if they decline to do everything you instruct them to do, that you should fire them. You know, attorneys do have to operate under certain constraints, and this ranges from things like, you know, some law is not relevant to this case. Right. I've occasionally had clients ask me to use the uniform commercial Code to defend their criminal cases, which is not a thing. And you know, I've also had clients ask me to like hold have a hearing or vile emotion at a time when like procedurally that's not permissible, right, So you know, you can't just do everything that the client says. But look, typically the attorney has control over legal strategy because you know, as I said, presumably they have expertise with the law. But like, even if you have decided that you're just going to defer to your attorney entirely in matters of strategy, or even if you have an attorney who's like not super comfortable involving you in strategy to the degree that like I might be, at a minimum, the attorney needs to be able to explain their strategy to you and justify it right. So you know, again there needs to be mutual trust and respect for each other. So expertise, they're not just a mouthpiece. But if you feel like they're genuinely not listening to your goals or not helping you to understand what's happening, or they're actively disrespectful, it's really important for you to know you can fire your attorney.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think the one area of at least where I've become aware of this is somebody whose attorney was either refusing to or somehow was incapable of gendering them in the way that they would like to be gendered. And in cases like that, you have the right to ask your journey, you're your attorney, to use whatever pronouns you prefer, and to be referred to using those pronouns. Is that is that right?
Speaker 7: Absolutely? Absolutely. I've certainly heard horror stories, and not just and I'll speak to this in a second. I have heard horror stories not just about public defenders, but also about private counsel being you know, casually race cyst being misogynist, being transphobic, and you know, being ablest, being really disrespectful and classist, particularly around things like transportation and childcare. So you know, if you have an attorney who's just straight rude or being disrespectful or like being oppressive in some way, I would say, you know, the first step I suppose would be to bring it to their attention, and if they don't, if they are not responsive, you know, you should know that you do have a right to choose your own attorney. Now, I do understand that there are you know, financial issues with just choosing your own attorney, but particularly in the context of you know, movement related prosecutions. They're often not always, but often resources available to you where people will either work to find you someone who can represent you pro bono or you know, will raise money. And the other thing is that if you have a public defender, you can almost always have appointed counsel from another office if you have some kind of irretrievable conflict with your attorney.
Speaker 2: So I think we should talk about public defenders a bit because I think sometimes people can think that like that they're sort of the worst option, or like the bargain basement choice or what have you. Went In fact, there are some things you can get with a public defender you're very unlikely to get with private counsel and absolute yea, let's talk about public defenders a little bit.
Speaker 7: Sure, I would love to. I love public defenders actually in large cities that have what we would call institutional public defenders as opposed to you know, everyone takes a turn being a public defender for one week out of the year. You know, people who want to be public defenders do not go into public defense for the big bucks. They go into it because they care about defending people and keeping people out of jail, and very often, you know, the people who are in those positions care very much and are really really well trained, and they are not dummies, and they will work really hard for you. And I do want to push back against the widespread perception that public defenders are not good attorneys. They very often are the best available option are often in very very good hands. No, this isn't to say that you're never going to come across a public defender who is rude or incompetent in some way some way, but I would really really caution you against assuming that the public defender is not a super qualified, committed attorney. The other thing is that the offices of the public defender often have resources available to them that private counsel do not. You know, they have investigators, they have social workers, they have vouchers for public transportation, and all of those things are resources that I think can be very useful in supporting someone who's facing criminal charges. So again, you know, certainly, if you're having some kind of interpersonal problem with your defender or any attorney, I want you to feel really really empowered to address it and hopefully they're able to, you know, respond in a way that's appropriate. And explain what's going on and you know why things are happening in whatever way they are. But I think it would be a mistake to dismiss the public defender as a good option.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I agree. I know some public defenders, and some of them are really great people, very very committed, like you say, to keeping folks out of jail, which is his goal in a lot of these cases.
Speaker 7: Some of my best friends are public defenders.
Speaker 2: No, they don't, and like I, people obviously will be. I guess a lot of people in some who are anti authoritarian right are going to be like less im positively aligned with any sort of institutions or feel concerned about interacting with people who are part of these institutions. But like, as far as those people exist within those institutions to keep people out of much worse institutions like jails.
Speaker 7: I think a lot of people who do public defense really have the sense that they're you know, that their mission is harm reduction, right, and they're prepared to operate in the confines of what are sometimes sort of leviathan bureaucracies in order to achieve that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and maybe a lot of folks would have run into I certainly know. I'm a lot of public twenties in twenty twenty in the course of covering protest, and yeah, it's pretty clear that those folks were largely aligned with good things, with stopping the state doing violence to people in all of the different ways that it does that. Well, is there anything else that you'd like us to get to with respect to these relationships people might have with their attorney?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I say this a lot. Attorneys have an obligation to give their clients their best understanding of what's going on, what paths are available to take, and the possible or likely outcomes of each of those paths. Right, an attorney has an obligation to give you the best possible legal advice based on your articulated goals, their understanding of the law, their experience, and their clinical judgment, and their clients have no corresponding obligation to follow that advice, which can be frustrating from where I sit, but it is nevertheless a critical attribute of my work that I do not get to make big decisions for other people. They get to make decisions that I would not make if I were allowed to make them, But I'm not. I think that you know, I try to be really transparent with my clients about what my ethical commitments are, what I will do for them, what I'm not allowed to do for them. You know, I try to have those conversations in an ongoing way. I don't know that that's common practice. I think people are really busy and that's a hard practice to maintain. But I want to encourage people who are in an attorney client relationship to initiate those conversations, right.
Speaker 4: I guess.
Speaker 7: The only other thing I would say is, you know, if you have concerns with your lawyer, address those concerns immediately, because the farther into a case you are, the harder it is to have that conversation, and the farther into a case you are, the harder it is to fire your lawyer. Typically, you have a right to choose your own attorney, but if you're, you know, one week out from going to trial, the judge may not allow you to do it. Yeah, right, So yeah, I mean, I guess, I just I just wanted to tell anyone who's listening that if you are in a situation where you have to have a relationship with an attorney, you know, it's already probably kind of a bad situation, and you should be in a relationship where you feel like your lawyer is taking all of your goals seriously, which includes not just your straightforward legal goals, but movement support and solidarity. And if your lawyer is disrespecting your goals, or disrespecting your identities, or disrespecting other kinds of ethical commitments you have, you can choose to find a different attorney and are resources available, and ultimately these decisions are yours. And then I had some resources that I wanted to be great. So for people who may be accused of criminal offenses, there's a really great book called The Tilted Guide to Being a Defendant, and if you google that you can find a free pdf of it. I would also encourage people to reach out to and to become non lawyer legal workers, So people who have, you know, experience with jail support, people who have experience with court support, and with providing sort of community support to people who are facing charges. If you are somebody who has an ongoing case, having a support committee that includes at least one legal worker can be just so critical in maintaining morale and in feeling supported and in having the wherewithal to be an active participant in your own defense. And we do know that when people are active participants in their own defense, they have better legal outcomes.
Speaker 2: Yes, I would imagine even if they don't have better legal outcomes, they have ones that are easier for them to understand the more satisfactory because of that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, absolutely, absolutely, there are a lot of times when there are no good options on the table. I don't I want to be very clear, being an active participant in your own defense or having a really great attorney who really listens to you and respects your goals, does not mean that you are not going to experience punishment or state repression. It means that you are going to have a better handle on what your options are and why things are happening in the way that they are. So, even if you end up in a situation that involves, you know, for example, spending time in carceroal confinement, you will at least understand how you got there, and you will understand what the other possible options were. Right, you know, somebody might choose to endure punishment rather than cooperate with the state. And even if that is not what most people would understand, as a better legal outcome. It is an outcome that at least was more intentionally pursued than the alternative.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yeah, So where could people find these these non lower legal workers if they wanted to add one, or if they know if they wanted support from one.
Speaker 7: If people wanted to find legal workers in their own community, I mean typically they're they're involved with movements, they might be associated with your local chapter of the National Lawyers Guild, they might be the people who are most active in jail support. If you really can't find anybody, you can call the National Lawyer's Guild Anti Repression hotline if you are actively facing charges. That number is two one two six seven nine two eight one one, and we can try to connect with you with appropriate legal resources in your community. That is one way that I would encourage people to reach out if you are facing charges and you're having a hard time connecting with legal resources. That hotline is mostly for federal federal cases and for federal repression, but if you call it, we will do our best to connect you with appropriate resources wherever you are. And there are also some resources for lawyers that I wanted to hy appear, which are first of all the National Lawyer's Guild, which is a bar association for people who value human rights over property rights.
Speaker 2: What a dark situation that this is the subset of human beings. Yeah, that the nalgy are great some positive energy experiences.
Speaker 7: What a dark situation that it hadn't occurred to me. How telling that was about lawyers as a whole.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when a subset of your the subset of my profession is equally the dark and terrible people, we just have to try and be bettering. Guess.
Speaker 7: The other thing that is available for attorneys who are interested is there's a book put out by the same people who wrote The Tilted Guide to Being a Defendant for attorneys, and it's called Representing Radicals. And that is I think available through ak Press.
Speaker 2: You should buy it from Akape Press directly and not from Jeffrey Bezos in any way.
Speaker 7: Thank you. But and the other thing is there are a lot of attorneys around the country who are more than happy to consult, to act as mentors, to share motions, to share legal research. The people who work in movement spaces as lawyers, are typically always prepared to share our experience and resources because we have a stake in other people becoming really good at this. You know, you know, my goal is to have fewer clients. So if anyone is interested in helping me to achieve that goal, either by going to law school or by taking some of my clients or taking some of the people who might otherwise be my clients, please I would be delighted to shepherd you into movement defense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be great. If we have any little like budding movement defenders, how would they be able to find you?
Speaker 7: Oh? Yes, if you would like to find me on the internet, please don't. But I do have a website that you can find if you google me. It is mo at Law and I am pretty available if you reach out to me by email and have questions. But generally when I come on these things, the only thing I have to plug is the concept of not talking to cops.
Speaker 2: I want to do an episode on that. Maybe we'll do it one day. I think we should do an expanded how to not talk to Cops guide the.
Speaker 7: I guess it's not just the concept of not talking to cops, it's actually the practice of not talking to cops.
Speaker 2: And certainly like it's somebody myself here that lives on the border and has to deal with all kinds of different jurisdictions of cops on an almost daily basis, just in the travel I need to do to live my life. It can be complicated and scary, and if you're not a citizen, it becomes even more complicated and scary. So, oh yeah, that's the thing we should discuss in detail.
Speaker 7: I would like to say that, apart from some very very specific exceptions that involve being at borders or being subpoenaed to a federal granchurie, you never have an obligation to talk to cops, to answer their questions, or to cooperate with their investigations. That doesn't mean you can obstruct their investigations, but you absolutely have no affirmative obligation to speak to police officers. And if they ask you, if they are trying to interrogate you or ask you questions, you can say I am going to remain silent and I want to speak to a lawyer. And if the FEDS show up at your house or call you on the phone, or come to your office or your place of work, you can say, I am represented by counsel. Please leave your name at number, and my lawyer will call you.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, it's good to have scripts. I want to Yeah, I think we should. We should break down in detail some more socenarios. We should do it in another episode because it'll be maybe a bit longer. Yes, and yeah, I think folks, maybe I think everyone understands the concept. But the practice, and there's that advice you given their is great.
Speaker 7: Yeah. And if if you don't yet have an attorney and you feel uncomfortable saying I'm represented by counsel, you can just say, please leave your name and number and my lawyer will call you. And then you can call the National Lawyer's Skilled Anti Federal Repression Hotline at two and two six seven nine two eight point one and have a privileged conversation about your rights, risks and responsibilities and we can connect you with an attorney in your area.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That is excellent, actionable advice. Yeah, thank you so much for giving us so much of your time and help. Yeah, I really appreciate it. I'm sureveryone else does too.
Speaker 7: At all. It's my pleasure. I am always available to come and talk to you about various the various rights of people accused of criminal offenses. Usually I am talking about your rights with respect to the state. But it has become really evident that I needed to talk about people's rights with respect to their own attorneys.
Speaker 2: It's empowering for people to hear this, So I'm glad we talked about it too.
Speaker 1: It could happen here. It in Today's Harlance, meaning Tucker Carlson getting fired, because that's what we're talking about today is Today is one of our classic timely reaction episodes to the firing of Fox News fascist and popular anti semite Tucker Carlson. Today on the show to chat about all of this, I've got Garrison Davis, James Stout, Mio Wong, and Sophie Lichterman. Hi, everybody, Wow, where's the.
Speaker 5: Last time we got like the whole crew together.
Speaker 1: A long time? This? This is the bulk of us.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And Sophie wasn't here for the com episode.
Speaker 1: No, Sophie. Sophie refused to be on for the com episode, threatening to quit, uh sadly. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But so you know, today is a couple of days since we all got the surprising news that Tucker has been let go at Fox. This was news that was surprising to Tucker There's a couple of things that are funny about the announcement itself, namely that he signed off his last episode saying, see you guys next week. Fox Play in the messaging they've put out was like, you know, we both agreed that he needed to leave the network, that this is an amicable split. The Brian Kilmead, who replaced him the next episode with Fox News tonight, was like, Tucker and I are still good friends. He's just decided mutually to take a leave from the company. This is definitely not true. We'll talk a little bit about all of this, but the gist of I think it's kind of worth talking about, like why this happened. As far as we know, there's not, you know, objective kind of confirmation about why specifically he got fired, but the broad speculation. Some articles have like quoted a Fox News insider who says that it was due to something either he said in a recorded but unaired episode of the show, or that it was something that was found in the emails that were revealed during discovery that was profoundly anti semitic. I've heard out like in one source at least said that it was anti semitic enough that it might have been legally actionable. That's obviously like what the fuck? I would love to know what that's civically means. But what we do know is that a former producer for The Tucker Carlson Show who was a booking for him, is currently suing the network both for a hostile work environment. She claims that she was exposed to intense anti Semitism while working there, and she alleges that she was basically threatened into changing her deposition. So the lawsuit came alongside her like issuing a correction to her deposition and saying that she had basically lied in order like because she was being threatened by people at Fox, which is like, so there's a lot going on here. So that's kind of the gist of what we know right now as to like why he got shit canned. Yeah, that's that's that's the basics.
Speaker 5: It's interesting too that he it's been like a day now and he has said nothing. There have been multiple people who said that he's not responding to his texts, which is extremely funny. He I saw one report that I don't I don't know how accurate is. I saw one report that says he found out ten minutes before Fox like released the statement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was in contract negotiations, so he was in the middle of presumably getting Fox to agree to pay him a shitload more money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and now he has no money, which is very funny.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, he'll still probably get a lot of money somehow.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, i'd be interesting to see if he like pivots to something like like o Ann or News Max. I don't know if they have the means to pay him what he would probably see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I mean this is this is one of the questions kind of following this and how and how this decision is gonna affect, you know, politics going forward, especially with twenty twenty four. Two big questions being where is Tucker going to go and who is going to take his place? For the next few weeks, Fox is probably just going to be doing like a rotating selection of hosts until they like make a final decision. So you know, a lot of people could could end up end up with that job. But in terms of where he's going, there's there's a few interesting options. Now it kind of does come down to who's going to be willing to pay the probably pretty high price, or if he's just going to try to stay independent. But I think something like Newsmax isn't isn't out of the question. I think I think this that this is this is just like a guess, but I think there's a decent chance that The Daily Wire is going to go after him really hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's already.
Speaker 3: Pretty friendly with a lot of the people there. They've been willing to dishout a lot of money for someone like Stephen Crowder. Now Tucker will be undoubtedly more, but also he's going to be more of a pull, and that that is something that's entirely possible. I mean, the Daily Wire already produces like usually two of the most popular podcasts in the world, like in the top ten. They already have a lot, They have a lot of web traffic. They don't have like cable, but they get a lot of like other other ways to to to spread their work.
Speaker 2: They have a paid streaming service they yes, yes, they also have The Daily Plus.
Speaker 1: Yep, they are. I think that they're probably the only people in the right that can offer Tucker both money that's broadly in line with what Fox could and an audience that's that's sizeable. Potentially even an audience that's larger. One of the things to kind of keep in mind is that Tucker was going to get out three and a half million viewers a night somewhere around there, which made him the most popular uh host on cable news, but also is minuscule based on historical number one, minuscule based on the kind of audiences that like you can get on streaming platforms today, which are much larger than cable audiences, And is minuscule based on like I mean, it was like ten years ago that three and a half million viewers on a night ten fifteen years ago would have been like an unsuccessful show on ANBC, right, uh for for some for some perspective, the most successful TV finale of all time was the Mash finale, which had like one hundred and five million viewers. Like cable, cable don't or you know, television period does not get the kind of viewership that it does anymore. And I think when you're looking at Tucker, he is the the main draw for him has to be the audience. He's not and he's the heir to the Campbell or to the Swanson, you know, dinner of Fortune. He cannot be motivated primarily by the paycheck. Right that that that there's he's simply like it. Just that can't be the reason he's doing it. It has to be the the fame, you know, And so Daily Wire I think is a likely place for him as a result of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, another thing that's interesting I thought it is okay Man mentioned that he hasn't said anything yet and he's probably taking advice from his lawyer, Brian Friedman, who incidentally is the same dude who's representing Don Lemon who lost his job on the same day, which is for that guy, it is a good year for this guy. He like, this is the guy who gets a ship ton of money from networks when people get fired from networks, like he has represented like Megan Kelly before. Like, when you hear of a famous person getting let go by network, it's probably this guy who's representing them. I thought it was utterly hilarious that, yeah, both of them retained the same guy on the same day having been fired. But thinking about lawyering up, it made me think about like Sophie mentioned it that like Carlson defames people, he lies on an almost daily basis. Right, We recently spoke about how he took the statistics of Russian deaths from those league's documents, that he used the blatantly altered version of those documents long after everyone knew they'd been altered. Right, he needs serious legal clout to defend him from the fact that he lies into fames people every single day. So like going even though he has a sizable fortune, going out on his own would be costly in the sense of like he would almost have to be permanently defending himself.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I think I think this is one of the things where, well it's not clear to me what the impact is of the Alex Johnes trial has been, but this is one of those things where I think the dominion people actually just nailing Fox to the wall is going to be a sort of big factor here because it makes it seem easier and more plausible on things that like lawyers are willing to risk getting in fights about for actually going after these people, for just like defending people. And so yeah, it'll be it'll be interesting to see, like how how long Tucker can last on his own before he gets into a giant court battle with someone, and whether he is I don't know, attempts to be slightly more careful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I yeah, exactly. I don't think if he's if he goes to YouTube or something, he's not going to be spending his his frozen dinner fortune on legal fees. I don't think so he and he can't do what he does without spouting shit, right, Like his whole thing is just straight up lying and doing this sort of credulous fool routine that he does, which which always results in these ridiculous conclusions that he comes to. So like, I don't know with that, maybe the daily why I can suderstain that I don't really have a good sense of sort of their clout if people aren't familiar. Should we summarize the dominion case? I know you've spoken about it on.
Speaker 1: Fast Yeah I did. I mean you can listen to the two parter I did with Katie and Cody on on the dominion lawsuit where he basically just go over the entire document that Dominion prepared for that. But the gist of it is that Tucker knowingly and knowingly. We know that he knew because the discovery process revealed a bunch of his text messages and emails where he talked about knowing that the election fraud conspiracy theory was bullshit, and he propagated it and attacks against Dominion and another company, Smartmatic, in order to keep his audience on board, which is a criminal you know, defamation or not criminal, but at least like legally actionable you can sue as as Dominion did and one like eight hundred million bucks. And I do think that's really worth That is kind of pertinent when we're talking about who's going to take him next, because like, obviously the Daily Wire would want a guy like Tucker except for the fact that he could cost them another eight hundred million dollars, which has to be has to be part of the calculus of any company looking at taking him on, And I think is something none of us, nobody really knows what's going to happen with this, but I think there is a good chance he is permanently marginalized in terms of audience just because of how much like eight hundred million dollars is not enough to sink Fox on its own, but it is enough to make anybody looking at bringing Tucker on board.
Speaker 5: The second guest, Yeah, I sawso numbers that were I think I think they were saying he was bringing in the highest like amount of revenue of any like like Kimble News anchor. But it was like it was like seventy eight million dollars a year and he lost like so he lost ten years of his income.
Speaker 1: He basically lost it, lost everything he'd made Fox during the time when he was the number one Get news house.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that has to be that has to be a huge part of the coculus of like, Okay, you know these are these people like as as as as much as the right is ideological, it is also capitalist and the risk reward on that is terrifying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I like, especially when it comes to the Daily Wire, a cost like that would just probably make their entire company fold.
Speaker 5: Because they don't have Murdock behind them.
Speaker 3: They're not They're not that big of a company, just have a disproportionate amount of influence because their hosts are really good at like marketing and social media manipulation.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, I ad revenue. That would be a great time for us to pivot to and for some gold coins with Reagan.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah. You can hear the ads for the new podcasts that are our future. Colleague Tucker Carlson's gonna be doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's whay Ym and Don Lemon just.
Speaker 1: Have yeah, him and Don Lemon. We we're calling it. H I don't know, there's there's a good there's a good there's a good joke with their two names somewhere. I haven't figured it out yet though, So you do that for yourselves, audience. Ah, what a good what a good time that we're talking about here. This is just just just a great day, great week. Uh So, yeah, we're looking at you know, I think kind of when we're talking about what's possible here and Daily Wirey agree is kind of the most likely thing. If you look at what leaked recently during their drama with Stephen Krawt, the contract they were offering Crowder was somewhere around thirty million dollars, which, from everything people have said, is a big deal for them. That's one of the biggest, bigger offerings they're capable of doing. That is, you know, probably the most Tucker is realistically going to be able to get.
Speaker 6: But also.
Speaker 1: One of the things that kind of is noteworthy about the contract they were offering Crowder is that it included clauses where like Crowder's take home could be reduced significantly if he got kicked off of platforms and fucking Tucker Carlson is not going to keep it a YouTube account.
Speaker 3: I mean it is. It is interesting in that sense of like they were they all of his content was able to be kept up when he was under Fox. Like on YouTube you can find all of his segments, and it'd be interesting to see how the content moderation differs if like he starts his own channel and how and how comparatively what things would be would be counted as like community guideline strikes. But yeah, I mean just I think I think, like last week Matt Walsh's show got demonetized on YouTube, which if his contract is anything like Crowters, means that he is gonna be suffering up like a personal financial hit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's they're taking probably you know, in the millions that he's losing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And there's something I think this is an interesting thing that's been happening in the last maybe like six months, has been there's there's been sort of increasing tension between sort of the far right that's basically sees control the Republican Party and like the money, and they keep running into these issues where in order to keep their base going, they need to say stuff that like their sort of like corporate backers are like, this is either losing us money or is so far out there that like it's you know, it's it's either directly losing us money from lawsuits, or or it's losing us elections, or it's losing us like business. And now I'm never gonna claim that like Murdoch is not the far right, because he is. But it's interesting that we've gotten to a point where people like Murdoch are getting more gun shy about what they can put on air because it's finally like the money is finally starting to see actual consequences, and they're starting to pull back from the stuff a little bit.
Speaker 1: Well, see, that's part of what I'm questioning is I'm sure that that is something that's entering his calculus more now since the settlement, but it's at least the earlier reporting suggests that's not really why, or at least not most of the reason why Tucker got shit canned. It's a bunch of shit like stuff that is not revealed yet in the deposition that he was saying an email. I mean, one of the things came out that woman who is accusing him of creating a sexist and anti semitic work environment. Is that he like when she got hired, he clustered swimsuit photos of Nancy Pelosi over her office, And that's what we've heard, like the ship that Like, I think it's possible, uh that what actually got Murdoch to make the call to can him is that he Murdoch himself found out through discovery that he was saying shit in emails that would sink the company, Like if he's saying full on Nazi shit. Yeah, and there's there's documentation of that, which I don't think is unlikely he had on it, like yeah.
Speaker 5: There's no there's there's there's no there's no limit at that point.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, no, the like clearly that ship aligns with his views, and he's made a concerted effort to mainstream more and more outright fascist New Genesis white supremacist talking points every year he's had that show, so it would know, especially when they got his text messages, Like he might be smart enough not to like maybe use his work email, but I think that the fact that he's there were some things in his text messages and yeah, that wouldn't surprise me. It's either that or he said something personal about one of the Murdochs, and.
Speaker 1: Well he did. He did talk shit about Fox executives, which some people have suggested as like part of why they made the decision. It can him that he actually just pissed off the moneymen too, and this was kind of an excuse to take more action. Again, like it's it's it's kind of unclear exactly what happened. I think it's probably worth talking about in the last portion of this what impact, because it is likely that whatever happens, he's he's going to have less reach and at least less reach in like a practical way, because if Tucker starts a podcast, even if the podcast has kind of more you know, through Daily Wire or whatever, even if it's got on paper more listeners than Fox, I think there's something about cable news where you're reaching an audience that's that's different with the ideas that he was When he was on Fox, he was hitting people who would never have encountered some of this like fascist shit, this great replacement stuff, whereas if he's saying the same thing on a Daily Wire podcast, he's probably talking more to people who are already pilled, so to speak. So I do think there's a good chance that overall this kind of tanks his ability to.
Speaker 3: Actually like influence culture inful way.
Speaker 2: Radicalized boomers like everyone listening can probably think of a person who they know or is in their sort of greatest circle of people who their friends know, who is an older person who is very much offline and has encountered these great replacement ideas through Tucker Carlson and become a significantly worse person because of Tucker Carlson's program.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, and you can you can see how all of the Daily Wire guys like like Wall and Mike, Michael Noles and even someone like Andy No, they they suck up to Carlson so much and have been for the past few years because they realized that that actually gives them cultural access to be on his show on that platform in a way that they're much more like Peterson too, Pete Peterson. Sure, I think Peterson's broken into the mainstream.
Speaker 5: I think a bit more.
Speaker 3: But like all of these other guys like like Andy No, Walsh Knowles, they're all heavily like Internet people, and they influence like Internet shit, and sometimes that can start crossing over. But in general, the cable news platform kind of reiffies things into broader culture in a way that someone like Walsh just doesn't because he like, most people don't know who walshes, but most people do know who Tucker is.
Speaker 1: And that is my interesting is lifelong Republican voter. And when I talked to him complaining about shit Matt Walsh is doing, Like the first thing he said was like, I've never heard of this guy. Yeah, And it's like, yeah, because he's a fucking internet weirdo. And my dad doesn't you know, he knows Ben Shapiro because Ben breaks through to the mainstream, but he knows Ben Shapiro from like catching clips of him randomly being shared on Facebook by other people in his age group, as opposed to like seeking this shit out. And that's kind of the power of Tucker. And I think one of the things you've seen Gear that you were kind of talking at, which is the thing that is maybe most hopeful to me, is how scared people like Andy know Glenn Greenwald flipped the fuck out when this gun announced because they see this is a major threat to their reach into their earning potential. Yeah, Tucker can't host them anymore. That's potentially disastrous for them, and the fact that that's happening right as we're gearing up for twenty twenty four is something I'm hopeful about. At least I'll say.
Speaker 3: It is a massive like rejection of that platform to yeah, people like that like this type of like rhetoric Tucker is doing. Having this be like publicly rejected in this way will make all these people that are more on the fringes probably make it harder for them to break through in little ways like they used to try to by being on Tucker as a show.
Speaker 1: Speaking of reifying things into the broader culture. Buy these products and we're back.
Speaker 5: Okay. So there's one other thing that I We've could have been touching on it, but I think it's really interesting is that Tucker. Tucker basically has this sort of media ecosystem that revolves around him, and you know, there's a very established pathway for how you can become a sort of like a successful and profitable right wing grifter which goes through you know, you sort of go viral on Twitter, you go viral on TikTok, and then you go on a Tucker and you know, and like like people like lives a TikTok, right, Like, I think I think there's there's a certific kind of media campaign that even with whoever, like whatever absolute asshole that like Fox puts in that slot after Tucker's you know, when whatever they sort of figure out who that's going to be, Like, there's still I think going to be sort of a hole there. Yeah, where I think it gets harder to run the kinds the very the very very specific kinds of campaigns like liber tich talk, like the sort of mods for liberty shit that that's been just making the country unfathomably awful for the past few years.
Speaker 2: With like that. I've been kind of working on writing something scripted about this trans panic that happened in a town very near me in Santi right, which like was an extremely clear like like that was the goal, right, like like do to speech, go go viral, go on Tucker create, you know, then go on the speaking circuit, make money. Like to me, at least, it seems very clear that that was that was the goal.
Speaker 1: And I yeah, he's he's a weapons system that they they have learned, like has become kind of the center of right wing strategy really is like get on Tucker cause you know moral panic culture warship yep.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and and you know, and like obviously like other Fox shows do this stuff, it doesn't work anywhere anywhere near as well.
Speaker 3: And now I think it's the person the person that gets the closest is probably Laura Ingram, but I think she she kind of suffers from the glass ceiling problems.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she actually cannot be Yeah, I mean, but.
Speaker 2: I've Brad Masogy. I stand with Laura.
Speaker 3: Ingram rub Big specifically viewing Tucker as this thing that was like a targeted weapon. I think it's a really good way to look at this, and specifically now that that weapon no longer can like actually aim correctly because.
Speaker 1: Or at least may not be able to write. I mean, maybe he'll come back and we're wrong, but I I am optimistic. I think it all said, Yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Puts a spanner in the works of the hate machine that that he built and the folks built, and that's a good thing.
Speaker 3: But Mia, you were saying before I rudely interrupted.
Speaker 1: You, you asked, all you.
Speaker 5: Cannot remember what what I was gonna say.
Speaker 3: You're talking about how how how other other hosts kind of do the thing but.
Speaker 6: Not the Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean part of it also is just you know, part of the power of Tucker is just the time slot that he's in, Yeah, which is you know that that that's the one where like all of the people who've gotten off of work, who are like turning on the television at night get to But yeah, like Tuck, Tucker was I think was really in in the entirety of the sort of TV and media sphere, was uniquely good at that stuff and no one else, no one else can do it like that, and you know, like the like if the Fox people will create someone else, but until they fill that spot, A, there's a gap, and B it really remains to be seen whether seeing whether they're going to sort of pick someone who is as embedded in like that part of the sort of fascists right as Tucker is, or if they're going to find someone who's like, i mean still really really right wing and sucks but isn't like having ye on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And it's I mean, I am kind of curious slash worried about who's going to follow him into that time slot. Folks, real old heads will know Tucker got his job after Bill O'Reilly, who was the Fox News fascist of my childhood, got shit canned for sexual harassment on an industrial scale. Uh, and so that's that's why Tucker is in. And obviously as bad as Bill was, Tucker was worse, and maybe the person who follows Tucker will be worse than Tucker. I do have trouble imagining what that could be, because my god, he really he went. He went right up to the edge of putting on a fucking swastik arm band.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, I will say about the Bill Orilelly people, people have been like, oh, like, Tucker's going to disappear in the way Bill o'reiley did. I don't. I don't think that's I think he's going to be a bigger like But assuming he winds up somewhere, I think he'll still be a bigger influence than like Bill O'Reilly was after he got but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean Bill was also a lot older, right, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: No, I think that is that is an accurate assessment. Mm hmm. Well excited, excited to get my new Rumble subscriptions so I can watch Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: It's going to be uh glorious to see him finally pair up with Tim Poole, the two, the two of them carrying AK forty seven, so doing field journalism in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Tucker casting, for those are not familiar, carried a gun when reporting in a rock, which for many reasons it's a fucking terrible idea, including putting f one else doing your changer.
Speaker 1: But it is really funny. It's very I will, I will say that it is funny.
Speaker 5: I I genuine like part of me doesn't, but part of me does. Hope he decides to do a thing where he's like, I'm gonna go do field journalism in Ukraine and just.
Speaker 1: Seemed so I will, it's fucking marked by God, damn like happens, No, no, no, you know what happens.
Speaker 3: He he imbeds with the aesoff battalion. Yeah, and they all get taken out.
Speaker 2: God willing kindness.
Speaker 3: But I think one thing I was serfinally thinking about, like the past few years, less less so that this this like past year specifically, but for a while it was a quite frightening prospect to think about what if Tucker was going to run for president? And I don't think he is. He is not going to do that in twenty twenty four. Absolutely, that's that's that's not happening. But I mean it's still possible he could in the future. Twenty twenty eight is likely, uh if, if he wants. But I think the loss of this position at this point in time will probably affect that decision because it's something he's certainly been thinking about, considering he's one of the most influential conservative people on the Yeah, like on the planet.
Speaker 2: He determines policy or did if.
Speaker 3: He did, yeah, and and and now it's interesting with him, with him leaving his job in this way, it'll be interesting to see if how that how that affects any kind of potential of prospect for him for him, yeah, running for office.
Speaker 1: My big question around all that, and this is kind of unanswerable, is like, does Tucker have any appeal outside of the right wing base. Three and a half million cable news viewers is not evidence of the kind of broad based appeal that can draw an independence and win an election. And Tucker has never you know, the one the closest thing he's been to a political candidate is when he went up against John Stewart, and that didn't go great for him. No, he and he moved aft after John Stewart kind of destroyed his Crossfire career. He moved to a situation where he was he had unprecedented control over his show. It was almost entirely recorded and stuff out of a studio in Maine that he set up. He built everything he was doing around being able to totally control how he was seen, what was shown, what of his was like put out to the public. And you simply can't do that as a presidential candidate. You have to accept and be able to make work for you the fact that every eye is on you and you do not have total control over what about you is put out and published, among other things. You're going to be repeatedly questioned in situations where you can't edit the footage or stop things from going out afterwards. And I don't know that Tucker has what it takes to succeed in that kind of environment.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Enchilade, he fucking never succeeds again and we never have to hear about him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we should shout out this lady kat Abazzale, that the person who had to watch Tucker Carlson for years and years and years and then explain it to people. She works at Media Matters for America. But she is taking the biggest victory lap that anyone has ever taken right now. And it's kind of glorious.
Speaker 3: To watch doing the lord's work. Truly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, taking on trauma for all of her stuff was quite good. Like she she did a good job explaining how toxic Tucker was to people who might not have been aware of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Anyway, in conclusion, Tucker, we would love to have you on at Cool Zone. Totally welcome to come host your own podcast. We'll bring you on to it could happen here. You can do a bastard's guest appearance, jam, he can right into the jungle.
Speaker 2: Directly.
Speaker 1: Come on, come on, Tucker. We'd love to have you anyway. I think that's I think that's a soode.
Speaker 5: It's been four months since French President Emanuel Macron effect declared war on French society. Euphemistically called pension reforms, Macron's proposal would increase the retirement age from sixty two to sixty four, effectively robbing the working class of two years of their lives. In January, French unions filled the streets of Paris with trash now French workers build brick and mortar barricades on highways and set branches on fire on train tracks. Welcome to it could happen here. The escalation from protest to uprising is in part a product of how Macron forced the retirement age increase through a national assembly he no longer controls without the ability to win a vote. Macron's Prime Minister, Elizabeth Bourne, suddenly invoked Article forty nine of the French Constitution, which allows the ruling government to force a bill into law without a vote. Macron argues that because circumventing Parliament to force legislation through is legal, the move is democratic across France. Disagree. We spoke to two French protesters, Mael, a student in Leone, and a Gat, a union railway worker at a state owned rail company, about the movement. The two met through a struggle committee designed to bring people from different backgrounds and movements together to fight against mccron's reforms and four, as Mael put it, victories for our class. A Gat had this to say about Macron's anti democratic sleight of hand.
Speaker 4: What they are using right now is a rhetorical trap which consists of confusing democracy and constitutionalism. I don't know if I'm using the right word, but for instance, you know that they maybe you know that to impose this reform, they have been using an article, which this article forty nine points three of our constitution and they say that, well, this article is in the constitution, we are in a democracy, and therefore this article is democratic, which is absolutely false. It's a fallacious reasoning. It is not true. It's the forty nine point three is an anti constitution. It is an anti democratic article of the constitution. And this is what they have been trying to do lately, to say to make us believe that everything that's been happening is absolutely normal and implies with the democratic standards of France, which is not true. Also, what they are trying to do to disqualify any opposition from the left wing is to say that the left wing party is actually an extreme left hardly, which it is not. And it's kind of they are trying to induce the kind of history in all this and to radicalize what is not. What we are asking for is simply for them to to listen to what we for once can call the people. Generally, when you have a protest, it's only a part of the population that disagrees with the policy of the government. But this time, honestly, uh, there are seven seven people out of ten who are who disagree with this and uh, nine workers out of ten who disagree with this reform. Honestly, I think we can call ourselves the people.
Speaker 8: And in a democracy, well what you do is listen to the people, not that representatives and not the members of the government, but the people in the fucking streets.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry. Uh. And and because they do not want to do that, they try to say that we are radicals and that we are supported by radical political parties. It's not true.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's it's very radious situation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is what I wanted to say about what they're at their current strategy, aside from the repression of which we are going to talk in a few minutes, this is what their strategy is.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Like basically they confuse all of the forces on the left together. They say that Melanchia is funding the black Block, you know, so it's things like that, the CGTS and a fee, all of them, it's on the same and they all want the destruction of civilization. And I don't know that's the discourse on the far right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, babies, Yeah, that sounds like you're American, right too.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and this is kind of linked to police violence, this discourse when you were talking about how they're saying that the constitution is democratic and there's nothing you can say even though well, the point of the constitution is to bypass the parliament. I don't know that democratic. But yeah, So when it comes to police violence as a reaction is to say that the state holds the legitimate monopoly of violence, so therefore they can repress us however they want. That's literally what they're saying right now, which is kind of worrying.
Speaker 5: The French police have been incredibly violent in their campaign to suppress the protests. At an ecological action in San Seline on March twenty fifth, tens of thousands of activists were met with helicopters, armored vehicles, and six thousand grenades, many of which were the French police's new and incredibly dangerous military grade GM two l cs gas grenades. One protester was shot in the head with a tear gas grenade fired by a grenade launcher mounted on an armored vehicle. He remained in a coma fighting for his life for an entire month. Earlier today, his parents' release a statement saying that he has begun to wake up, but is not fully conscious and his life remains in danger. The day before, a special police motorcycle unit called Brav M, created in twenty nineteen to suppress the Genejean with the yellow vest protests, was recorded threatening a group of random people that had arrested for sitting in front of a building from The Washington Post. The cop says, quote, You're lucky to be sitting there, and now that we've arrested you, I swear I'd have broken your leg literally. I can tell you We've broken elbows and faces, but you I'd have broken your legs, one officer says. In the recording. Limone reported two slapping sounds can be heard, the report says, along with an officer saying, wipe that smile off your face. Later in the clip, a police officer warns the young people they have detained. Quote, next time we come, you won't be getting in the car to go to the police station. You'll be getting in another thing called an ambulance to go to the hospital. Paris Police chief Laurette Nuez said on Friday he was quote very shocked by the audio clip Mayel and a gat We're less shocked.
Speaker 4: This is not really a surprise, unfortunately, because well, our lease is not as h I don't know, it's problematic, but maybe not as problematic as in the US. I'm sorry if I'm wrong about that. But we also follow sometimes what happens on the other side of the ocean. And uh, but I must say that we we have had issues of police murders on the street like and police violence, wanting violence, and unfortunately that now it's not new and there is a newspaper media parts who managed to to find a excerpt of I think it's a group on WhatsApp or whatever of policemen talking about race, war and uh and all these kinds of things. And unfortunately we know that there are such people in our police.
Speaker 6: So so police are there's a kind of basically fascists, all of them. Like they have like one of their unions which called Alliance and for the politics for the presidential elections, they invited the right wing party, who are basically only people who talg with all about genocide. And then the classic marine Lapin and the more the far right who's openly calling for a civilizational war with Muslims. So that's the police unions. And for a little bit of history on the police, we have, for example, one of the very violent units that you see arresting people all over friends, which are called brigadotic Huminality or back for fort. And these people come from some sort of colonial units who were in Algeria during the war and when there was a need to repress populations who previously lived in colonies and then moved to France to the main country, they created a lot of very violent units and recruited through people who were in the Algerian War to basically break down people's house things like this, beat them up.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: It was really colonial practices and all of this kind of state with the repression of poor and non white areas of town where they tried to always have a strong police presents and catch people. They say in the act, but they're really making up reasons to arrest people. Police violence is not new at all, And yeah, basically it's easier need to train all year long against poor, non white people, and then during protests they come against people who have come to protests which are generally different people, but not entirely different people.
Speaker 5: Of course, the police response to protests, again says, has gotten more violence as the Jiljan protests in twenty nineteen, but instead of clearing the streets as Macron had hoped, the increase in violence is just narrowing the traditional gap between more moderate trade union protesters and the more radical protesters found in black blocks.
Speaker 6: I've seen people.
Speaker 9: In America in England saying that the movement is dying down because the inter union protests are more and more away from each other. But in the actual protest people are much much more radical. And what happens is that the people who are in the front of the protests before the union and who may potentially fight with the cops that the union will never do, they're more and more numerous, like four times bigger than the protests months ago, and so the cops cannot charge us. Every time they charge, people get around them, and there are rocks which happen to hit their heads.
Speaker 5: I don't know how, yeah, cry. I ask about that a bit, specifically about the dynamic of there being a sort of I don't know, I kind of divide between the sort of more biltant people who are fighting the cops and the sort of more moderate like trade union like protesters. I wanted to ask, I guess, like how firm has that separation been and what I guess have the unions been doing here? Have they been trying to contain things? Have they been trying to push forward?
Speaker 6: Well? Yes, I think it's a very some phenomenon kind of especially the way it's taken from now, because it's basically a mix of a black block and some Dill June and some random already called people, yeah, yellow vests. But so the black block it started really in twenty sixteen. Before this, there was no real black block all the time at protests, And the attitude of the unions is that they hate the black block. It's pretty simple. I mean, not of course, as everyone who's in a union, but the unions who organize the protest, they don't want anyone in front of them. They want people to go behind them and follow whatever they want to do. So they've been really aggressive. But even if there are conflicts right now, I would say the fact that the people in front of the union are more and more numerous, I think there's somewhat less tensions the unions. I don't think they feel like they can really push against even the black bloc or radicals who break stuff.
Speaker 4: If I may add in something, Indeed, there is a difference between the attitude of the union directions, let's say, and people like me, the simple unionized workers. And what Miles said is absolutely true about the the hate, the Yeah, they really don't want any black blocks, especially in front of them. But what I observed in these over the last few demonstrations is that what we call the cortege, which is really the very head of the demonstration, even in front of the unions, the official union group, where there are the black blocks and the yellow vests, there are more and more people I was I was like, I was going to say, like me, but I'm a bit of a still a bit cowardly, and I'm still afraid of of getting in this kind of place. But there are more and more unionized workers who mingle with the black blogs and et cetera. And I you know, we also have what we call manifestations sauvage the wild and and not organized protests that are not organized by unions but are kind of spontaneous.
Speaker 6: They opened after Macro forced the reform through Parliament without a vote, and people just went in the streets without the union and they burned. There were images in Paris of everything burning. It was that day, and that's what we call a wild protests.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and for the first time I saw unionized workers joining in. That is crazy because they were feeling that what the unions were proposing within the legal and pacifists and nice frame was not enough because really our president was really just making fun of us and we couldn't have it, and what we usually do was not longer enough for us. And this is really something new.
Speaker 5: I asked about the appearance of the Chile Jean in the current protest and what you thought of them, Mael. The student was somewhat dismissive, but the impact that Chile Jean had on a GAT and the railway workers was very different.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I can say a little bit, but I don't know much about the yellow vests. For what I saw of the Yellow vests were a lot of blockages and people against taxes on gas, and it radicalized was towards some form of radical democracy, but maybe not so radical because they wanted the mass movement seemed to end on the demand for referendums. Basically, they wanted to be able to call their own referendums, and the demands were not directly linked to economics. And as I saw them many very often, and when we saw them in protests in Lyon, they were kind of weird. But I don't know them very well. What I saw was that the government repressed them really, really hard, much harder than the usual protests that we do, because they were really scared of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I took part to the Yellow lest movement and I tend to disagree a bit with your analysis on this problem. No, no, no, no, it's just a I'm just saying and it's not an attack at all. At first, I must say I hated this movement because well, just long story short, it began in twenty eighteen, and in twenty eighteen there was a big movement in the SENCF where I work in the Railway Public Company because the current it's very funny because it's the current Prime Minister who was the Transport Minister at the time.
Speaker 6: They just moved them around.
Speaker 4: We keep seeing this. It's absolutely I can't stand that anyway. I have a personal vendetta with this woman, and we had been fed trying to fight off the well, they kind of started to kill off our company. It's only now dying of its slow death. But this is where it really well, this is where the end really began in twenty eighteen for us.
Speaker 6: You mean by privatization, they're killing the contents.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we are not private yet, but the door has been opened on that idea. And so it's been a really really hard protest for us, and we in the end we lost. It was really hard, and after that we've been I've seen these people the yellow vest stand up and take on our songs to make them their own. The famous only lap. It started with in the railway world, and it really started in Lyons. I was there and suddenly these people whom I did not see by our side a few months before, started to invade the streets and sing our songs. I was really outraged. I was furious, and then I fortunately I spent time with the people who are more intelligent than me and who said that it was worth going to see these people and see what was on their minds and what they were thinking, especially because there were people who had never before protested. They had never been on the street to demonstrate about anything, and they were right to do that. And it all started with the price of oil and of gasolina. And I found that really really insignificant, and in fact it really opened my mind about the reality of other people, because I do not have a car, but some people have a car, and they needed to live together, to make a live in And not only that, but the motives of the protest. They roaded and roaded these people. They got politicized at such a speed, a high speed. This is incredible because quite rapidly what they were demanding was not simply the lowering of the oil price. It was also more democracy, it was more social justice. It was against the cancelation of attacks, unfortune, of the great fortune of people, on break wealth, and and on climate. Also it merged with the with a lot of climate demonstrations, and it broad it really it was about really a social model and what world we want to live in tomorrow. And so this is why I say this, This movement was really incredible. It was also incredible because it was taking place without the unions. It depends on the regions. In France. In Lyons, for example, there there is no love lost between the Yellow Vest and the unions, the direction of the unions. But in other regions, like in southern France or in the north, it's very different. And soon they began to protest together and the Yellow Vest they they they gave us a new a fresh new breath. It was really a fresher breath of fresh air. There was such spontaneous, they were so spontaneous and so angry. Also, you know, they remind they reminded us what it was to be angry and to have the right to be angry and not to be helpless in front of an unjust policy. And it really changed changes. And as just like I said that earlier that in this very movement, the movement we live in now, there are there are unionized workers who mingle with the black dog for example, well there were a lot of us unionized workers in the Yellow vese two and so yeah, it influenced us a lot.
Speaker 6: I think we can say that if twenty sixteen and that's a black block to the protests. Now with the Yellow Vest, it changed completely the way we protest as well. All the blockages are like much more regular and the way we're people fear less, you know, to demand things and to organize without unions. I think we can say that it definitely changed things. Also personally, I think that if I say wrong things about the yellow vests, why I don't know the importug is because yes, the concerns about oil gas price was not what of Pine because I live in the city and I don't have a car, So I think it affected more the country, the countryside of friends, which is more concerned with gas prices, yeah, than big cities. Also because we already have have lots of political movements here, so like it's it's kinven different.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I don't know this sport very well, to be honest, maybe I should just show up.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, it's it's interesting to me because I remember when the uh the g le John's protests started up, there was a lot of debate outside of France and kind of like Westerners observing the protests to are these guys is this something that's like a positive movement? Are they all right wing? And it's interesting that the way in which kind of all of these different sort of eras of protest movements in France have melded together for this this most recent kind of uprising like you've got you know, the the the You've got these trade unions, you've got le Jon's, you've got the Black Bloc, all sort of working as different pieces of this uprising, you know, based on kind of the different tactics of their eras. That's fascinating to me.
Speaker 6: I was discussing and saying that it's kind of a feature of movements about pensions, even if they can be very different, that they tend to attract a lot of people. And at first the protests were not very radical at all compared to protests we could have with similar sizes. But gradually the movement is radicalizing a lot, it seems to me, the people who are in it, and the fact that it tends to mobilize everyone at first, even if it's not very radical, when it created this sort of mingling of everybody, the Yellow ass the Union, the Black Block, everybody except the political party there useless books.
Speaker 5: Alongside the radicalization of protesters from all walks of life inside France, there's been a surprisingly strong international reaction from other European workers and activists.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm wondering, you know, during the Black Lives Matter protests in the US and twenty twenty. International attention was significant, and it was to some extent useful in terms of helping to raise money and stuff for different bail funds. People from all around the world helped to that extent. But I'm wondering is the is the degree of international attention by other countries left wings, you know, movements on what's happening in France right now. Is it having an impact directly or is it just sort of like noise.
Speaker 6: Well on my port, it seems to be a lot of noise, yes, because a lot of people seem to misunderstand completely the situation. And yeah, they just give their opinion and that's fine, I guess. But I think there may be actual solidarity with some militants. I mean, I know among anarchists that there are an archists who come from Italy, Switzerland, Germany and other countries who try to help actions and protests. And I'm pretty sure that among unions there is international solidarity as well. But maybe I got you U should say something about this.
Speaker 4: Yes, there is international solidarity. Honestly, this is not something I was expecting. But for instance, last week in Belgium, there are workers from a total plant that actually blocked the freaking port and to prevent them from sending product to substitute it from to the product that was blocked by protesters in France. And that was this is for me, This is absolutely wonderful and yes, so yes, there there are international solidarities. We have been in our inter professional assembly, because we have a local inter professional assembly, and we have been expressing our gratitude to the people in Greece, in Argentina, in Spain, in Germany who expressed their support openly and personally. I was really surprised to see how many people actually were being attention to what was happening in our country. And it gives us, well, it gave strength to many people, and it also gives hope because I realized that, well, you know, the main leverage we have on our liliticians is the economical beverage. And so when when the bosses of big companies and investors and everything start to say, well, guy, your reform of pensions in France is starting to make a mess in Germany, in Spain, in Greece, please stop your madness, Well this is a leverage I was not expecting. We are trying to use the leverage of the big wealth and UH and the big companies in France, which is already something quite hard to move, and that was really an unexpected support and we really hope that it's going to have because Macaron is very He's a narcissistic guy and he loves his own image. So if his image is starting to suffer internationally, I think this is going to be a big problem for him, and his image at the time is really a catastrophe.
Speaker 5: Belgium, of course, is not the only place for blockades are happening. They've become a staple of the uprising in France as well.
Speaker 6: I'm very interesting talking about the blockages of the highways around the Bond because many cities are trying to do this. There is a which is in Brotain which manages to block the highways very often, and so they started in Lyon and we tried once a few weeks ago. It was a call by the unions with a few points to block in the morning and people then militants from all over join the points at like six am or seven am, I don't remember. But when people arrived there were cups everywhere and they were pushed away and circulation and capitalism could work normally and everything was fine. So we were very frustrated. So reorganized completely and through the Struggle Committee, we assembled people from general assemblies all over the city and also various groups, and we managed to organize is a blockade last Thursday and it worked pretty well. It was not exceptional, but for first trip. People were very happy about it, and it led to many people from all over in the movement working together on a project and meeting together in assembly and then being together on blockages. And I think it's moments like this which are very important for the movement to develop. I'm not sure if the blockage in itself is the most interesting action in terms of economic damage, especially if we don't stay very long, but the different social relations it can create, and I think it can have a lot of influence in the movement, especially when we're thinking about the unions and sort of leaders of the unions who don't want to mobilize too much, we don't want to go too far. What can we do outside of that. Well, I think that's part of the answer, at least.
Speaker 4: I agree.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I think that's something that was interesting to me because I think the roadblocks and barricades like that as a sort of social site is like a really it's a thing you see a lot in the past, like twenty twenty five years of protest movements like I. This was a big deal in I like Hawk in twosand and six. There's a lot of similar stuff in Tehran during the uprising there. It's interesting to see it sort of like re entering the repertoire of stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the kind of the different species of social interactions that are made possible by these kind of zones of autonomy that are creating.
Speaker 6: And they ask a lot of new questions for militants, how to hold a barricade against scarps and against cars. It's a lot of different questions which I think they can radicalize people. At least two demand more things, so it's not clear what they want to demand for now. Yeah, I just wanted to say that I'm really really happy to see people from different parts of society really coming together and accepting to work together, like so many things impossible. Now as a student, I've met basically Lisians from all universities in my town. I now have free access to all publications in French and I'll never pay for anything it's really really great in terms of blockage. There is just south of Leon there is an oil refinery which is not on strike. It's among the only ones. So it's really important because in France there's a special system because they wanted to stay independent from old producers, so they import the oil and then they refine it in France. So basically, if we stop all the refinery, there is no more gas for cars. And right down it's becoming a real problem because of the strikes, and this one stays open, and so people have started to try and block the entry. So right now there's like something like fifty union workers and like fifty radical militants who come there every morning. Well not this week, but last week they were doing it because this week we haven't said, but everyone is on holiday kind of somewhat. The students are on holiday, so many people take their paid leave right now as well. It's kind of a special time. But next week probably the blockages are going to start again. And it's great to see union workers meeting with more radical people to try and get an action together. And I think when there is story diarity exists, great things can happen.
Speaker 4: If I may add something about mockages and everything. What works pretty well and it's quite satisfying. There are big days of mobilization, and what has happened several times now is that on the very same day, very same time, there are several appointments a little everywhere in the in the town and to block something, to block a highway, to block a factory, to block a school or whatever. And this allows, uh, it allows us to dispatch and stretch the forces of the police, and so they are never enough everywhere to to to stop us. And that makes that can make that can make the day a real success because you have a lot of things happening at the very same time, but there is only so many cops. So yeah, it works pretty well.
Speaker 5: This is interestingly the same analysis the US police came to in twenty twenty. It's easy to stop one large action, but several smaller actions split police forces and prevent them from just kettling one large block of protesters. I guess I think I was interested in is that I think one of the things that happens in the US a lot is you'll get a national day of action, but all of the actions, like there'll just be one giant action in a city and you don't get the kind of like diffusion that's been helpful with spreading out cop numbers. And I was wondering, like, is this something like the unions are specifically planning to have multiple events all over the place or is that something that's been happening like outside that.
Speaker 6: Or no, no, no, the unions only plan once. They plan for a strike and for the protests.
Speaker 4: There are also actions, but only one action and the others are organized by I mean regular people.
Speaker 6: Or no, but like you mean, the actions on the days are not organized by the national union, its local unions which do the actions, right, that's what you're talking about. Yes, absolutely, yeah, so there are local unions because in friends, unions are very federal somewhat this we can talk about it. It's a bit of a problem. But like you know, the Segete, it started out as an archist union, so they were like very into federalism and all of this. So there is local autonomy. And what happens is workers in very mobilized sectors like the railways, the energy workers, they were organized through their union actions on that day, for example. And on top of this, for example, you have students in a certain high school or a certain university who decide to block something and for example, they need support. Recently, there was a notably right wing campus who was blocked by students, and so a lot of us came to help them because we've had never seen this campus blocked ever. And of course what happened was some fascists attacked them, but we were much much more numerous than them, so it was no problem. But the next time they had a blockage planned at this campus, they ended up not having enough numbers, so they canceled, but the fascists didn't know that it was canceled, and so they all came really armed with metal bars and all of that. You know.
Speaker 5: Still, despite the threat of fascist streak gangs, and they're better armed and morey legitimate counterparts in the police, the protests continue. They continue to block roads, they continue to occupy universities, They continued to strike, they continued to fight police. They continue to find new forms of resistance, new forms of solidarity, new worlds composed of people who in ordinary times would never have met, and in the process they continue to find new ways of being free. Beneath the cobblestones, the beach sat another generation of French protesters in May of nineteen sixty eight. All you have to do is pick it up and throw it. Welcome to Dick It Happened Here a podcast about things falling apart and sometimes about how to put them back together again. I'm your host, Via Wong. This is a We are once again talking about Wizards of the Coast. Now this time is not about Dungeon Gent Daggs. It is about their other property, Magic the Gathering, which if you don't know, is Wizards of the Coasts trading card game. That's at the forefront of some truly wild stuff right now. Now, you could ask Mia, why are we even talking about this about Magic the Gathering on this show, And you know, there's multiple answers. One of them is that as industrial profit rates have been decreasing in the last half a century, capital has increasingly turned towards entertainment as a way to make money. Magic is now a billion dollar brand, partnering with everything from Fortnite to The Walking Dead to and this is not a joke, being in the process of releasing an entire set of Lord of the Rings cards. As capital is flooded into the entertainment industry and Magic in particular, our silly little hobbies are suddenly the front lines of class struggle. Workers at TCG Player this year, given the job of sorting through literally tens of thousands of cards that TCG player processes, finally won their second attempt to form a union after two devastating union busting campaigns. And this is where things get very very weird. Now bear with me here, dear listeners. We have to talk about a little bit of magic minutia to understand what has happened in this incident, and then we will get back to what the show is usually about, which is corporations killing enormous numbers of people. So a few days ago, Dan Cannon, a man who runs a very small Magic YouTube channel called Old School EMPTG, bought what he thought were cards in the latest Magic the Gathering set called March of the Machine. Now Magic releases new cards periodically and what are called sets. These sets have plots and characters, they have written stories. They are enormous sort of lower events, They have enormous hype behind them. And March of the Machine story wise, is basically the version of an Avengers movie giant apocalyptic threats. All the heroes crossing over people, hopping through, multi versus, etc.
Speaker 7: Etc.
Speaker 5: Et cetera. Now, okay, this has happened before. You know, Wizards does big sets. It wasn't that weird. But Wizard decided to do something very very weird, which is they printed, for the first time ever, a mini set called March of the Machines March of the Machine Aftermath. Now, the regular March of the Machine set has three hundred and eighty seven cards in it, Aftermath has fifty. Now, I don't know why they decided to do this. They've never done anything like this if they've never printed just a tiny set they release a bit after the regular set before. And you know, the names are very very confusing, right, one is called March of the Machine and the other one is Marching the Machine Aftermath. How is a regular person supposed to keep track of this? The mind boggles, et cetera, et cetera. Either way, So Dan Cannon tries to buy cards from the regular March of the Machine set when he gets in sent instead are by accident March of the Machine Aftermath cards. Now these cards are still secret. They have not been revealed yet. No no one, no one knows what they are. No one's supposed to know what they are before every set. There's an incredibly elaborate process where Wizards gives cards to influencers to you know, reveal them to the public. And on a certain date, everyone reveals, you know, your influencer reveals what their card is, and there's this whole hype cycle on Reddit, and everyone argues about how good the cards are, and i'll call the art is and what it means for the story. It's sort of it's sort of similar to the the sort of hype cycles that would happen around trailers from Marvel movies, where people would be analyzing every detail of it, et cetera, et cetera. And these are these spoiler seasons, as they're called, are a huge deal for Wizards. Date Wizards tries to heavily control the entire process, but sometimes cards leak out. Now, Dan Cannon suddenly has been handed a bunch of cards no one has ever seen before, so he does what, you know, every person who just suddenly has magic cards that haven't been revealed yet do and have been doing for years and years and years. He makes a video showing off the cards. Now, importantly, this is not a lead. I need to stress this because of what's going to happen, what is going to happen next, You know, it's it's it's very very easy to look at the at the sort of severity of what's going to happen to this guy and assume that he broke a law. But no, he did not. He did not break a law. Nothing he has done he's illegal. Literally, what he's done is he bought some magic cards from someone who screwed up and accidentally broke the street date for selling cards because he confused March of the Machine with March of the Machine. Aftermath, Wow, how can anyone make that mistake? Right? The genius of Wizards of the Coast marketing is unmatched. Everything they do is incredibly clear, et cetera, et cetera. Now, in the process, because of how many cards he bought and how small the set is, he reveals most of the cars that are in the set, and then the Pinkertons show up to his house, forced their way through his door, make his wife cry, threaten to arrest him, and threaten to put him in prison for ten years with two hundred thousand do finds for copyright infringement on the grounds of him having stolen material. The Pinkertons also harass his elderly neighbors. Literally, just today, as I'm recording this, a story broken gizmoto that revealed that Wizards of the Coast have used the Pinkertons before to go after stolen goods. Now, some of you may be asking who are the Pinkertons, And you know, I think some of you probably know in very broad outlines who the Pinkertons are. But in order to really get at the core of what this organization is and why they look the way they do today as compared to how they've looked in the past, we need to ask another question, which is how has the balance of military power between the state and corporations changed over time? And this seems like a very weird question, but the Pinkertons emerge in a very weird period of time in this balance. They are what fills in the gap between corporations directly having army East could concre nations and modern corporations who, instead of having their own personal armies, have intelligence, you know, vast intelligence agencies, but also rely on the police and the governments as the people who do violence for them. So let's go back and tell the story from the beginning by taking a look a brief look at the most infamous corporate army of them all, the army of the East India Trading Company. The East India Trading Company was formed in sixteen hundred and it was given a vast state monopoly over trade in what they called East India, which is an area we would broadly call Southeast Asia and the South Pacific today. And at the start, these guys are optimistically they are half trading group, half pirate. The level of piracy is really high, especially in the early days. They you know, trade for spices. They steal a lot of other people's spices from places like Java and they bring them back to England. They make a lot of money now over the course of theirs. And again it is worth noting that these people are kind of the descendants of the British privateers, people like Thomas Drake, who'd been you know, just pirates who have been hired by the government to only go after like Spanish ships instead of English ships. So they are you know, from the beginning, the East India Company has this sort of DNA of army in it and over the course of about two centuries, they are going to conquer with their own army most of what is now India and Pakistan, and that territory is either going to indirectly or directly come under the rule of the East India Company. And the East India Company is fighting wars everywhere again. They seize India and Pakistan by force. They are fighting wars in Afghanistan. They kill unfathomable numbers of people. The worst of these events is the Great bengalf Femin'. There's a Behind the Bastard's episode about this that you can listen to if you want a really sort of long thing about the East India Company and the famine. But I want to talk about the famine a little bit because so the Great Bengal Famine of seventeen seventy kills ten million people. And I knew this intellectually, right, I studied a bit in college. But what I had never actually looked up somehow, what I'd never seen was the percentage of the population of this famine kills. And this famine is directly the fault of the East India Company. This is something that all historians who have look at this agree is that this is directly the fault of these India Company and the combination of their agricultural policies and their tax extraction. This sort of put into perspective how bad this gets. The highest serious estimates for the number of people who die in the Great Leap Forward stands at about thirty million dead. This is an unfathomable atrocity. It is a scale of death at which the human mind breaks down and loses the ability to process. Some of my family lived through it. It is horrific in ways that are difficult to even begin to was to describe. The Great killed about five percent of China's population. The Great Bengal Famine killed thirty percent of the population of India that the East India Trading Company controlled thirty percent. That's not just sort of small populations statistics either. Right, It's not like they killed thirty percent of a country with thirty people in it, right, They killed ten million people. This isn't you know? This is an unbelievable force of human evil. Are they are capable of killing people in numbers that defy comprehension. They're able to do this because they have an army that is the size of a great power nation state. The East India Trading Company's army in eighteen hundred had two hundred thousand soldiers. That is a massive army. Today, that is like the size of the Act of Ukrainian Army in twenty twenty two. It is more than twice the size of the British army eighteen hundred. And you know, in eighteen hundred it's not like the British aren't fighting wars, right they are in eighteen hundred are fighting the war the Second Coalition, so.
Speaker 1: They are there.
Speaker 5: They are fighting Napoleon, right, So this isn't a sort of you know, completely half assed like peacetime British army. This is a you know, this is a serious military force. And even even once they like fully build up their army at the peak of the Napoleonic Wars thirteen years later, the entire size of the British army is about two hundred fifty thousand troops and that's not much larger than the East India Company's army. At the same time and at the height of the East India Trading Company there are army swells to again two hundred and fifty thousand, which is again the size of the regular British Army at in the most desperate war that the British had fought to that point. The trading company is a full on military great power. Right But and this is this is this is something that is going to shape an enormous amount of the sort of arc of the relationship between corporate and Billie story power. It is unbelievably expensive to maintain an army like this, the the the British Stadia Company, even though they're they you know, they are looting entire nations, right they have they have there there are entire states where they fully taken over the tax services. They're just walking into temples and taking stuff. But even with all of that profit, right they you know, they have the ability to mint their own coins in a lot of these areas, but they still lose money. And they still lose money again because they're maintaining this two hundred and fifty thousand strong army. And you know, so you have this problem, right, which is that you have this item on your balance sheet that is unfathomably expensive. And then you have a second problem, which is that if you have an army, there's always a danger. But the army goes into revolts, and that's what happens. In eighteen fifty seven, the British managed to piss off their own army, which is almost all composed of Indian troops, and they fight an incredibly bloody worn. It is either the boy mutiny to suppoy uprising and the British win, and they after victory they strap a bunch of prisoners bodies to canons and shoot them so they can't be properly buried. But the consequence of this sort of horrifying war, and particularly the sort of fear it invokes in the minds of you know, the British populace of like, oh my god, these non white people can actually fight us, is that they directly seize control of India from the East India Trading Company. And for all your nationalization fans out there, the British assuming direct control of India was actually a nationalization. It's not actually inherently socialist, guys. You have to be a bit smarter than this, But that aside, right, this marks an enormous shift in the sort of political economy of violence. What is happening here is that states are assuming direct military control over their colonies. Instead of operating through corporations. And this means that what you see is a shift from direct corporate armies to corporations using the state to do violence for them. And this doesn't mean that corporations don't use force directly today, and it also doesn't mean that the governments you know, weren't acting as the armies of corporations and like the eighteen hundreds, but what's happening here, and specifically the direct seizure of India from the East India, the direct seizure of India from the East India Company, marks a dramatic shift in the balance of forces away from corporations with armies doing violence towards states doing violence on their behalf. And this is one of the things, alongside sort of slave catchers in the US, that leads to the formation of the police. You see this but both both both in Britain and in sort of France, right, you start to get police agencies that are you know, largely tasked with putting down their own working class. And this is one of the things, one of the sort of inexorable marches that happens over the course of the twentieth century. And it's also happening in nineteenth century too. There is a sort of mass centralization of state and police power, and particularly that's an expansion of the bureaucracy. Right the Orican state in eighteen forty is barely a functional state by today's standards, right, Like, they have an incredibly difficult time even figuring out how many people there are in the country, that their provisioning of services as a joke, nobody has like geek cars, Like people don't even have birth certificates for the most part. And that's something, you know, and that's something that changes right over the course of sort of the eighteen and nineteen hundreds, is that you get a massive bureaucracy. The bureaucracy is built on the model of the police, and they get bigger and more powerful, and by the time you're you know, you're halfway through the twentieth century, get you get a modern standing army. And that's something that is very, very weird. The Founders, who you know, suck ass in enormous numbers of ways, are also fundamentally and deeply opposed to standing armies because you know, they are students of Roman history and they know that standing armies have this you know, this sort of way of seizing power, but we've lented in a situation where you know, they don't really need to.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: The US Army is kept in check by the fact that it has it basically a limited budget that increases every year, so you can't even like talk about cutting it without getting accused of treason. But it didn't used to be like that. In the eighteen hundreds, right after a war would end, you know, entire parts of the like they like, you all the US cavalry, for example, sometimes which just get disbanded. Right, there'd be these massive reductions in troop size in between wars. And you know that doesn't happen anymore, right, But the product of this was that, you know, there weren't that many like armed agents of the state running around with guns. And that's the thing that is completely and utterly ubiquitous in modern American life. I mean, modern American life has reached a point where people literally you can't even imagine what it would be like if there weren't cops literally everywhere, and if you didn't have the ability to call the police about anything. And that was just the sort of the state of affairs for a lot of the eighteen hundreds in the US. Is that just you know, they're really weren't police. And you know, there's kind of midpoints in the level of sort of bureaucratic development and the level of sort of the bureaucracy of violence, that is the police happens after a bit after the Civil War, where there are not enough police to develop the kind of sort of to deploy against the kind of violence that companies need to stop unions informing. And you know there's a secondary problem, right, which is okay, so you know there are armed troops in a state, but the armed troops are the militia. And you know a lot of the times the militia can be relied upon to choose striking workers and break them, but there's always a chance that you ordered the militia in and the militia are people from the towns where you know where the striking workers are from. And this is a real problem with sheriffs too, is that in this period, you get it, you get a lot of sheriffs who just won't prosecute workers because the entire town and the sheriff are all pro union. And this is where we come to the Pinkertons but first, and this is something that the Pinkertons would have approved of. Some ads, and we're back. So who are the Pinkertons. The Pinkertons are founded by a guy named Alan Pinkerton. Alan Pinkerton's an interesting guy. He's he's kind of a radical when he's young, he's like he's a hardcore abolitionist who like funds John Brown. Right, there's a whole debate about the extent to which she was involved in a sort of British workers reform movement called the chartlists. Every source I've read disagrees about how much he was involved in it. It's I mean, one's disagreements are basically penning the radiology. I don't know if I ever get to get a good answer about how involved in it he is. But Pinkerton briefly and kind of by accident, becomes a bounty hunter. But he just like walks across it, just runs into a camp of people who seem to clearly be counterfeitters. And he eventually becomes a detective around Michigan and then in Chicago, and then he becomes a postal cop. And in the process of being a postal cop, he figures out something that is more lucrative. He figured out a more lucrative way to de detective work than just working for the state, which is working for the railways. So by eighteen fifty he has a full detective agency going that he renames the Pinkertons. Now, you know this is the eighteen fifties, right, you are rapidly coproaching the Civil War. Durating the Civil War. He is hired by George McClellan, just the worst union general. He runs a spy network in the Confederacy that absolutely sucks, Like all the spies get caught. His intelligence being awful. It's one of the things that leads McClellan to suspect, you know, that there's like secret way more Confederate troops that there actually are. So he just never does anything for the entire worlds Like he's like the worst union general until he gets replaced. Yeah, when McClellan is asked, Pinkerton is also out, but you know the agency is still around and the detectives are initially known as Sidered as cinder Dicks for complicated railroading reasons. I yeah, I don't know about that one, but it's very funny and what they sort of do, right is in this early phases, they have this massive network of sort of informants and spies that they sell to the highest bidder. They're not sort of when you know, they are detectives, right and sometimes, but they're not detectives in the Sherlock sense where you have a guy who sees a bunch of evidence and then uses logic and uses investigation to deduce like who did the crime. Pinkerton detectives are operatives. They do infiltrations. This is basically their one trick, right is they send a guy under cover and then he gets people to talk to him, and then they catch the guy because someone talked. Right now. The other thing that the Pinkertons are really really good at is spinning mythology around them. Pinkerton claims that he saved Lincoln from an assassination plot, and you know, he successfully convinces Lincoln to flee a building in a disguise.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: The problem is that you know, as early as like the next day after this supposed plot happens, assassinating assassination plot happens, people were already claiming that there wasn't one. And you know, I think the evidence for their not being one is bolstered by the fact that no one was ever like, not only was no one ever tried for this, no one was ever even arrested for again, a plot to assassinate the president of the United States. So I am inclined to suspect that this was fake. So sorians disagree about this, but he's able to milk this for incredible pr right, He's you know, he's like, I'm the guy who saved the president, and he does this whole sort of like.
Speaker 10: Ah, if I had been there when if I if I had only been there when Lincoln was being gunned down by John wielks Booth, ah would have saved him.
Speaker 5: And you know, this makes him very famous. They also start doing you know, it's sort of word noting, right, the kind of crime that they're doing, these guys are, they're they're basically a corporate anti crime group.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: They solve crimes, but the crimes that they solve are people stealing from corporations. So, for example, they do a lot of solving bank robberies. They do a lot of security to stop train robbers, they do counterfeitting. These are all kinds of crimes that affect rich people and you know, and so the Ppiccotians are slowly starting to gain this reputation to sort of like the hired hands of capital. Now they're also sort of doing like frontier outlaws stuff. There's a gang of people who there is a gang that sort of bandits who they very successfully break up, but they also go after Jesse James. Okay, we need to tell the story of Jesse James briefly here because it's it's an important thing to get an understanding of what the sort of conflict that's going on in the West is at this point. And the thing that's incredibly important to understand about the story of Jesse James versus the Pinkerton's is that there are no heroes here. Every single person involved in all sides is just an absolutely terrible person. So Jesse James is an ex Confederate terrorists who somehow managed to make robbing trains uncool by doing it dress and a KKK rope with the aim of like restoring the honor of the Confederacy. So this sucks. And this is where part of the sort of like rebel flag like that part of the sort of like lost cause myth those comes from right there are you know, there are these sort of frontier outlaws who are like ex Confederates whose thing is like, yeah, we're like against the man and like the maand is like you know, the north Right. But these people suck right. These are these are these are these are people who fought and died for slavery. I Jesse James in particular, like again, he's in this group of like gorillas who are fighting in Kansas and Missouri. They they do things that are genuinely unspeakable. So these people suck right. But the problem is the people going after them are the Pinkertons. And we're gonna learn a lot about the Pinkertons by what they managed to accomplish by going after again ex Confederate terrorists who are like some of the worst people who've ever lived. So the Pinkertons take this case in eighteen seventy one. He sends in a bunch of agents try to infiltrate the gang, and Jesse James like smokes them all. So, in a very sort of modern cop move, the Pinkertons do a raid on Jesse James's house. So they throw in this weird pseudo it's a very weird kind of explosive device thing that I don't know. They claim that they were just trying to scare like the family out of the house so they could arrest them. But the family sees this thing that looks like a bomb and they throw it into their fireplace and it blows up, and instead of smoking the family out, they have now blown up Jesse James's nine year old step brother and maimed a mom. So the Piggertons absolutely suck right like so far in there at the catch Jesse James, they have managed to blow up a child.
Speaker 1: And name a woman.
Speaker 5: Now you can ask the question, right, Okay, so they have killed a child, they have maimed a woman. Do they get Jesse James. No, No, they don't. They never get him, because that's what happens when you know, you have an ex Confederate in places where with a bunch of ex Confederates, with a bunch of people who support the Confederacy right, they won't turn over their own people, and you know, and when the people they're going up against are the Piggertons, who are like the hired guns of Northern Capital, a bunch of people, you know, what happens is a bunch of grand people end up dead. And yeah, but both sides of this are incredibly deeply evil. Jesse James is later shot by one of his own men, and yeah, that is the famous story of Jesse James versus the Pinkertons, which I think is useful in establishing that, like God, like, the South are obviously the bad guys in the Civil War, but a lot of the people in the Union are sort of genuinely awful hired gun for capital people. And you know that's not so much of a big deal dreamed the war, but after the war, you know, you got these battles just like, oh God, everyone here is like everyone here should simply die now. Ellen Pinkerton dies in eighteen eighty six, and he is replaced by his even worse sons. And at this point the Pinkertons cease even sort of the pretense of being a detective agency, and they devote themselves full time to being strike breakers. Now they have spies everywhere. They have you know, over a thousand of them at their peak, spread across the dozens and dozens and dozens of Union, and they are spying on meetings or appointed with the pinkertons. And this allows corporations. For example, if you know who's in a union meeting, right, you can just fire all of them. And this is especially easy. And you know in this sort of pre nineteen thirties period where like there is no protected right to strike, right, like you if you stop working, that is illegal. The other thing they do is provide quote unquote security for corporations training strikes. What this looks like in practice is shooting people. And you know, sometimes those people are striking workers, like the three strikers they killed in the Pennsylvania close strike of eighteen ninety. Sometimes they just shoot random bystanders, like the random guy they shot in eighteen sixty six, while providing security. And you know, again when you're shooting in random bysanta, you have to ask.
Speaker 1: Like security for who, like who is.
Speaker 5: The security you're providing for when you're just shooting random people? You know, anominally it's for the alo doing a dock strike. And sometimes, like in eighteen seventy seven, they shoot children where they shot and killed a fifteen year old you a Jersey coal wharf strike, you know, and they do stuff like this all the time. Right, there's a famous incident in Chicago where a bunch of people are yelling at them, because again the thinker does have a really bad reputation among workers at this point. And you know there's a point where they're they're going by on a train and people yelled the train and the Pinkertons just bomb by, taking out the rifles and shooting four people out the window. So you know these are good people, TM, right. The other thing they do is they start getting into breaking strikes by being a company you can hire to import scabs, and this culminates in the Homestead strike. Again, there's another thing. There's like a giant Bastard's episode on, but we'll do we'll do a short version of the Homestead strike. So the Homestet strike is this giant confrontation between steel workers and the forces of Andrew Carnagie and Henry Frick. Carnagian Frick like locked the union out of the factory and they call a Pinkerton army to seize control of the town of Homestead. This is from the book Inventing the Pinkertons quote. By the end of June, he had built around the mills of protective twelve foot fence that included rifle holes, waterman's capable of blasting strikers with boiling water, and wires attached to a generator which could be electrified. In response, workers dubbed the mills Fort Frick. Now striking steel workers and other residents of Homestead. Here the Pinkertons are coming and they, you know, they the Pinkertons are trying to land on these like invasion barges that they've modified, and so the homestead people go try to stop the barges, and the Pinkertons start shooting at them. And this is the thing that's very interesting about this whole story is that, Okay, every account at the time agrees that the first person the people who started shooting first with pinkertons. Later accounts suddenly, like mysteriously later on it suddenly start to claim it like, well, nobody really knows she started the shooting in these fights, like maybe it was a worker, but like again everyone at the time cause it was the pinkertons. So I and give, given what we know about the track record of pinkertons are shooting children and shooting random people yelling at them outside of a train of shooting, just literally random people on the streets. We can be pretty sure that Pinkertons started this, and but you know, the workers in Homestead are heavily armed, and this starts a massive gun battle. I'm gonna read from inventing the Pinkertons again. This serious battle would last the next fourteen hours. After an initial shurge, the Pinkertons were pinned down in their barges. After several hours, the crowd attempted to sink the barges by cannon fire. Residents borrowed the cannon that had been that the city used for commemorations and by the way, that that's a Civil war cannon that they're using it in eighteen ninety to try to sink these boats. The crowd also set burning railcars rolling towards the barges and sprayed oil lunch the river was they attempted a light on fire in hopes of burning the Pinkertons out of their barges. The lubricating oil thrown onto the water proved impossible to set a flame. So the Pickertons like try to surrender, But by this one people hate them so much that every they threw this four times, and each time someone will hold up a white flag and a sniper will shoot the flag and refuse to let them surrender. On try five, the Pickertons are finally allowed to surrender and the Pickersons are crushed, but unfortunately, the state militia is brought in to sort of break the strike and the union movement in Pennsylvania is essentially destroyed. But pr White this is terrible from the Pinkertons, and they start trying to do like a giant pr OP to sort of recover the reputation, and a lot of what the sort of popular image of the Pinkertons right comes from the pr op the agency does, like after the Homes District that gets reproduced by like TV producers later on. So fast forwarding a little bit to some other stuff that they were involved in. In late nineteen oh five, someone blew up the notoriously anti union governor of Idaho who'd sent troops to kill striking workers a few years ago. Now Idaho hires a Pinkerton detective to just torture a guy into confessing to the murder and then also claiming that like basically every instance of violence in the last five years in in in that part of the US was committed by the i w W, who are the WW are a very very radical union whose thing basically was that society should be run by like confederations of direct democratic unions like run you know, in all all of society, all the production should be run by workers in these in you know, in in in the form of like one giant direct democratic union. And people hate this, and by people, I mean like bosses absolutely hate this EW. Very IWW very popular with workers. Bosses are going to spend the next rest of theirs just murdering them, you know. But having having tortured this guy into saying into fingering the industrial workers of the world in this conspiracy, they get Big Bill Haywood, who is one of the most famous and like successful organizers of the AWW, and several other IWW leaders kidnapped and taken into Idaho to stand trial for murder, which again they had nothing to do with. Haywood is defended by Clarence Darrow of the infamous Scopes Monkey trial, and Haywood gets off, but the case the serious damage to the WW. If you want to learn more about this whole story, go listen to Cool People Who Did Cool Stuff there's two episodes about the IWW in this period called the IWW and the Hoboes. You saved free speech. It's good stuff, you know. I should also briefly mention, right, another thing that the Pinkertons do is Okay, so if someone someone's wanted in one state, right, instead of having to like make you know, the government having to like the state government have to making requests, have to be having to make request to another state in order to get them to extradite someone, they would just have the Pingertions kidnap them. This is this is one of the sort of big services they provide. They also seemed it's very unclear. I don't know, this historical record is a bit muddled. They seem also to have been people you could hire if so if like your spouse was trying to divorce you, which sucks. Is deeply evil.
Speaker 1: They do sort of lots.
Speaker 5: More deeply evil stuff, which we will get into after these ads. All right, we're back, So speaking of deeply evil stuff, they also send one hundred detectives to break a strike of the mostly black Brotherhood of Timber Workers, which is an IWW affiliate in Louisiana. Now they break this. They try to break this union by walking into a union meeting shooting forty four people and killing four of them. There are like forty more stories of a guy with the Pinkerton walks in and shoots a bunch of people that I could put here. I had to find the limit at some point to how many stories about Pinkerton's murdering people that I could I could sort of put But you know, there's an interesting shift that starts to happen in the in sort of as the nineteen hundred, you know, the nineteen hundreds turned into nineteen tens. The Pinkertons start to figure out that it's more effective to form mobs of vigilantes than it is to fight unions directly. And there's a few benefits here, right, There's less danger to detectives themselves. It's easier to deploy large numbers of people. Instead of having to sort of like pay an enormous amount of money for a bunch of like eight hundred detectives and weapons and logistics, you can just sort of whip up a mob and get them to do the shooting, right. The Pinkertons also get plausible deniability, which is very helpful. For their reputation, and you know, the Pinkertons are are very much ahead of the curve here. The government, you know, who is going to displace the Pinkertons is sort of the main force opposing the IWW in later sort of like cio union organizing that you know, turn into the two Red Scares. They're going to start taking pages from the Pinkerton's book, and eventually they are going to you know, instead of like sending the US Army to invade Nicarago, which is what they would have done in the eighteen hundreds, by you know, by the time you gets to the nineteen eighties, right, they are sending people to train Nicaraguan desk squads. And so we can track the shift here. Right as the nineteenth century comes to a close and we get to sort of the October Revolution of the height of the Red Scare, we're in a place where they're starting to be enough cops and enough federal agents to do the job the Pinkertons had done in previous generations. And you know, there's sort of robust arguments in the the sort of historiography about to what extent j Edgar Hoover and the FBI were influenced by the Pinkertons. I think there's decent evidence that they that they were influenced by them. But the FBI kind of turns into what the Pinkertons are. You know, they're the people who suddenly are like showing up and shooting people, showing up and arresting union organizers, deporting union organizers from the country. But this puts the Pinkertons in kind of a weird spot right there. The Pinkerton name has become synonymous with sort of this this kind of like they're called sort of like feudal retainers, right, these sort of lawless private armies that are you know, not supposed to exist in a democracy. And so you know in the nineteen thirties when the Wagnerak like makes strikes legal, right. I talked about the Wagner Acts a long time ago, an episode called The Eden Makes Its Strong. But after this they tried Robert Pinkerton the second who's the new sort of owner of the Pinkerton tries to do a rebrand and he has this great quote. That's quote he's talking about union busting. That is a phase of our business that we are not particularly delighted or proud of and we're out of it. However, there was nothing illegal about it at the time. Now, okay, you could say a lot about what was or wasn't illegal in a period when you know, you could order a drink that was cocaine mixed with wine and you know, you could just get like opium prescribed to your baby, But torturing and murdering people was still legal back then. Now, I guess if you're you know, if you really wanted to have fun, you can get into an argument that like, nowhere in the constitution is murdered specifically banned, but like, you know, how fun with that. But FDR and the New Dealers go after the Pinkerton's very hard. And this is a lot of interesting effects. What it means is, on the one hand, you can't have some guy with a detective badge who works for a corporation walked into a union meeting and start the killing. But it also means that when you need someone to smash a union by force, it's going to be the state doing it. And the aposteosis of this sort of one of the internal contradictions that destroys a new Deal is that it's reliance on the state to contain the worst exis of capitalism means that you know, they have in turn directly enormously empowered the state and the state's military capacity. And this means that in the nineteen eighties unions are going to be destroyed by the state that the New Deal had built. The Pickertons are replaced by Hoover and the g Men, and the g Men are eventually sort of become known as the dreaded modern fat who you know, lurks at every doorstep eating babies and is the terror of every sort of political movement in the US.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 5: The Pinkertons, for for their part, right with union busting now technically illegal, and when I say union busting like I mean walking in, shooting people stop and performing a union, they start working basically as regular security guards. And then they move on to selling surveillance equipment and trainings for government organizations. And this reflects a kind of larger shift in what kinds of military operations the corporations run, which is that instead of directly running armies or hiring groups like the Pinkertons to do violence for them, now what they're in the business office intelligence operations. And this changes the way that corporations kill people enormously. You know, when Coca Cola now needs to kill union organizers, right, they have paramilitaries for this. Now, some of these guys are contractors, some of them are paid under the table, some of them are in it for ideology, some of it for money.
Speaker 1: But it's not you.
Speaker 5: Know, it's not quite like Coca Cola has its own military force like it would have been in the eighteen hundreds, and they're hundreds. It's also not there is just like a private but there's not like it's not they're not. They're not also not like hiring a specific private military contractor. Right, the way they do, way they do it tends to be they you know, sort of semi clandestinely arm paramilitary. Now, there are limited exceptions where sort of like oil companies will have private armies and places where civil wars are going on, but that's usually a thing that happens when they're in a place that doesn't have state capacity. When they're in a place that does have state capacity, like for example, Nigeria, you get a very very different story. So Nigeria is a major oil producer, and this has a number of consequences on the places where that oil is extracted. A huge amount of it comes from the Niger Delta, where the government faces an almost perennial insurgency. So okay, why is there an insurgency there?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 5: Part of the reason is that there is an indescribable amount of wealth coming out of the oil and Niger Delta, and that money goes mostly to I mean, might I say mostly ninety percent of it right, go to Nigerian elites and corrupt for oil for in oil companies. And you know. Another part of the reason this turns into an insurgency is that people try nonviolence with disobedience in the Niger Delta to protest the sort of horrific environmental consequences of companies like Shell doing oil extraction, you know. And they have these marches that will draw out three hundred thousand people in places where this is half of the population, half the total population of the ethnic group being affected. The Nigerian government responds by publicly executing one of the movement's leaders, the famous activist Ken Sarrowewa, by hanging him and then dissolving his body and limes we couldn't be buried, which is a real British Empire. Shit And okay, so at this point you've come to the sort of crossroad of a nonviolent movement, right where the government's answer to non violence we will publicly hang you and you get you get to this question do you take up arms? And the answer is yeah, a lot of people do.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: This is this is this is a very complicated insurgency in a lot of ways that you know, we can't do justice here too. But I want to read something from this interview from a guy for the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta Men, which is one of the many, many, many, many many like Milton groups that appear in the Delta over the last twenty five years. Quote, this is our territory. The soldiers dare not come here. Now they came, and we defeat them. He says. We are civilized people, educated people, and we do not want our children to be deprived as we have been deprived so other people can get rich from what is under our feet. The oil companies have had many years to treat us rights. They have never done that. Now we are making them think. Now if this is you know eighteen twenty right, and shell is dealing with people taking up arms and cutting off their ability to sort of like extract profits of oil. They would form an army of semi literate Belgian and British barbarians, arm they with cannons and conquer the region and place the entire area under direct corporate rule. You know, if this was say, like the eighteen nineties, right, they would hire the pinker Chance and the Pinkertons, nego shoot these people before them. But this is the nineteen nineties, in the two thousands, so instead, what Shell does is literally pay the salaries of Nigerian cops who go slaughter protesters in the streets, and eventually they move to spending hundreds of millions of dollars just just between two thousand and seven two thousand and nine alone directly funding equipping an army, the Nigerian Army, and a special like war crimes task force called the Joint Task Force the JFT, which is this like it's this sort of incredible thing where the army, the navy and the police do a fusion dance to massacre civilians. And you know, I say this hundreds of millions of dollars, right, that's an underestimate that's just three years. That's just what we know about. The actual total that they sunk into sort of like literally funding the Nigerian Army is enormous. Now, what's interesting here is that Shell does have its own security guards, but the ratio of what they spend in the Nigerian Army versus what they spend on their own security guards just two to one. And this goes to demonstrate the point that I've sort of been making this episode, right, which is that there's been a shift in you know, if you are a company like Shell, right who has a need, you know, who are horrifically exploiting a bunch of people to the point where you need to shoot them in order to keep them in line. Instead of going to like a private detective agency or having your own army, they are increasingly simply funding the state. And you know this means that right again again, instead of the Pinkertons, the actual trigger pullers are cops. They are the police, There are the military, they're weird special forces groups. And you know where that sort of leaves space for groups like the Pinkertons now is the area that's left for them is in corporate intelligence. And this seems to be most of what the Pinkertons have been up to recently. Amazon hired them in the last few years to work and to work with their intelligence division, the Global Security Operations Center, which they use to try to stomp out union organizing in their warehouses. And Amazon isn't just sort of spying on union organizers. 're spying on basically every social roupment they can get their hands on. Here's from WECE. In twenty nineteen, Amazon monitored the yellowfst movement known as the jele Jean, a grassroots uprising for economic justice spread across France, and solidarity movements in Vienna and protest against state repression in Iran. They've been deployed deployed against strikes of communication workers in West Virginia, Google and Facebook deploys them against their own employees to redout leakers. Now, this is all in line with the pivot of sort of corporate repression towards mass surveillance. Interestingly, the Pikersons have been planting stories in the press about going back to their roots as mercenaries, pitching themselves as you know, the force that could stop climate chaos with ex military forces. The company claims to have been deployed by corporations in Puerto Rico after the hurricane and after Hurricane ria antoin seventeen. I don't know if that's true. This is possible, but again it's something that they have to be very careful with the Pinkertons is that they are very, very brand obsessed, even though they're now owned by a different sort of Swedish security company, and they lie constantly, so it's very difficult to sort up sort of the myth from the fact when myth making has been such a vital part of their branding from the beginning. For another example, here's from a New York Times magazine. Among their most popular news services is the Pinkerton Dedicated Professional, in which agents join a client's company like any other new hire, allowing them to provide intel employees. By twenty eighteen, the agency said it could count among its clients about eighty percent of Fortune one thousand companies. Are these numbers correct? Who knows? They absolutely could be lying right. On the other hand, here's Gizmoto talking about the current reach of the Pinkertons in matchic together ring. There are other connections between Wizards of the Coast and the Pinkerton Agency. Robert M. Klemmick, who has been the director of Security Risk Management at Hasbro, Inc. Which is the parent company Wizards of the Coast for twelve years, was previously the director of supply chain Security Practice at Pinkerton Consulting in Investigations. The current manager of Global Investigations is also a form of Pinkerton Agents. So what we saw in the fact that you know, Wizards of the Coast said the Pinkertons after a guy who made a YouTube video showing some cards that he bought from someone else, is you know, you can see in that the arc of the arc of of what the Pinkers are trying to do. Right, You have, on the one hand, the Pinkertons falling back into their sort of intelligence role. You also have them specifically trading on their reputation to intimidate people. And you know, the reputation they acquired by killing unfathomable numbers of people between the eighteen hundreds, which they used the sort of intimidate people by just sort of the power of the reputation. You can see something very interesting, which is that the Pinkertons don't arrest Dan Cannon directly, right, they're able to leave with the sort of goods. But what they threatened Dan Cannon with is the regular police. And that is I think a very important aspect of what the story actually is, which is it's a story about the modern division of labor, of violence against people who corporations don't like, and that division of labor runs through security. You know, you have your major, you have a major corporation. That corporation has its own security division. That security division is connected to the Pinkertons. They use the Pinkertons as an intelligence network, and they have done several times now and then you know, when it comes time to you know, you can use the Pinkertons as like the people will stop you booth. But when it comes time to actually do violence against someone, when it comes time to arrest someone, that's the state's job. And that, I think is the thing that's that you know, that that's very important to understand about the way all of this stuff works is that the thing that is true now about the year twenty twenty three that was not true about the year like eighteen seventy three, is that the the sort of primary driver of corporate violence in you know, in in in the US and abroad is not necessarily private security companies. It is the state, and it is the police. And yeah, this has been naked. Happened here. The police suck acab get rid of them.
Speaker 1: Hey, we'll be back Monday with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the Universe. It Could Happen Here as a production of cool Zone Media.
Speaker 3: For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can find sources for It Could Happen Here, updated monthly at coolzonemedia dot com slash sources.
Speaker 7: Thanks for listening.