Speaker 1: What to do with your boy big Snoop d O DOUBLEG and I want you to check me out on the five hundred hear me five double ot episode of Bootleg cav Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the interview was smoking.
Speaker 3: Before we start the episode. Man, I gotta remind everybody that we are on the radio in eighty cities every single day across the country. Man Real ninety two to three every day Monday through Friday in Los Angeles, Wild ninety four to one in Tampa, KKFI in Phoenix. We're all over the place, Miami, Vegas, we can go on and on. Want to give a shout out to our latest affiliate, shout out to Knoxville, Tennessee, Man Hot one O four point five for being the latest city to join the Bootleg CAV Show network. All right, now, I don't ever really talk about the radio show on the podcast, keep them separate. But if you want to listen to the radio show, you can click the link in the bio for a list of all the cities you can listen to at Yeah that makes sense. Oh, let's get to the interview. All right, man, Look, Boulet Cab podcast. This is actually the five hundredth episode and it's only right. We have quite possibly the greatest of all time Snoop Dogg five hundred, five hundred.
Speaker 2: Man, that's crazy. I like that number.
Speaker 3: It's a great number.
Speaker 2: Yeah, times five, yo.
Speaker 3: I gotta tell you. I always tell the story about how your album Dog You Style like changed the trajectory of my life. M because when I was like six years old, my grandma You remember, Columbia House used to send like fifteen out albums for like a penny.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sure, So my grandma somehow got DOGI Style in the maule on tape.
Speaker 2: Good shot shot off to Grandma.
Speaker 3: I wanted to keep it, but she had no I don't think she meant to.
Speaker 2: It the fuck. She did the right thing, good shit, Granny.
Speaker 1: See, I'm a grandfather, so sometimes grandparents do shit that y'all don't understand.
Speaker 3: So it was like, obviously a cartoon cover, so that's what she went for. So she gave it to me, and I fucking like, within I don't know three weeks, knew the whole album, like front to back, every skit by heart. I mean literally, by the time my mom heard me listening to it and took it from me, it was too late. It was over with and your sister, it was over.
Speaker 2: When your DNA.
Speaker 1: Yes, let it go, Grandma. I got to get Grandma shout out. Man, that's see, that's g ship right there. When your grandparents have a forward way of thinking and knowing that my grandson is going to be somebody, I got to put this in his DNA to make sure when he gets to the point where he's at that it's all way any and not only.
Speaker 3: Yeah, always say that that that album to change my life.
Speaker 2: Man, thank you boy.
Speaker 3: I'm here, I'm here, I'm here a lot because the dog style bro that album.
Speaker 1: That album was a It was a fun experience because being a young rapper and being so infatuated with Doctor Tryan and wa being able to work with him on the Chronic and then to say okay, it's my turn for my album you mean already like right now? Like yeah, Like that was an amazing because I had all my homies with me too, the people that I had started with, the people that you know watched me growing to the MC that I became, and then to have Doctor dre perfect my craft with DC and the whole team, it was a blessing.
Speaker 2: Yo.
Speaker 3: I was curious, like the like were you the brain child behind the skits? Because when we're talking about like using skips, skits within an album, just memorable skits, I think about the beginning of Jesu and Hustlers with like the school Teacher and even like the bathtub intro, the Murder was the case intro, Like I feel like skits are a lost art form and I can't think of more iconic skits than on Doggy Style.
Speaker 2: That's the fact.
Speaker 1: Well, you got to understand, Doctor Dre was learning me. We had just finished the Chronic album. We just forged the friendship. We had been together for about a year, and we started like hanging together like every day, like just me and him, like and we pulled away from everybody else. So he was learning the things that I loved and liked while he was crafting my album. And when we would be together, we would always either listen to old school music or I will pop in the VCR of an old black you know, explotation movie and he would get that and get my spirit and say, Okay, when we make your record, not only do I have to capture your sound, but I gotta capture the essence of who you are and that's sometimes isn't in the music, it's in an inner sketch or skit before the song or after the song. So we creatively came up with things that made sense, like the shit.
Speaker 2: Would Nigga yo bitch chose me?
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: I always loved that scene in the Maget and then the bathtub scene is from Superfly when he trying to get out and Eddie telling him to stay in.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So it's like you're getting all these movies scenes instilled into my album because I'm such a fan of that. And Dre as a producer captured every element of Snoop Dogg, which was funny, gangster real.
Speaker 3: And it's crazy too because I think back to like the way that the Chronic. You were the first voice on the Chronic, but you weren't the first voice on Doggie Style. No Rage, Lady of Rage just blacked the fuck out to kick that album.
Speaker 1: Off right, So it was Rage and George Clinton well the first voices on my album, and Doctor Dre. He has a different way of thinking. He always know what he's doing and we never know what the fuck he's doing. But when he finishes, the shit sounds amazing. He knew that he wanted Rage on the intro because Rage was supposed to be next up with the album. Yeah, so that's what that set up was about, hearing her voice.
Speaker 3: First, kind of like you were next up with the Chronic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was his train of thought. But it didn't come to life, but that was his train of thought for sure.
Speaker 3: It's crazy, man. I think I ran through the entire album last night for a couple of times. The new album Missionary, it's different, and I feel like it's like kind of like an evolved I mean, cause if you kind of go through the years of like even like between Doggy Style to you guys getting back together for two thousand and one, and obviously you guys have done music since then, you know, but there's some shit on this album and that's like, like the Tom Petty jelly Roll record is crazy, like talk about because I saw you went out to jelly Rolls Nashville show, which you know was super dope shot the jelly. But how did like the idea of bringing jelly roll onto the album come up?
Speaker 1: Well, when we got the concept right to beat the hook, my verse, Dray didn't want me to come with a second verse because I had a second verse on there.
Speaker 2: He was like, nah, we need to get somebody on it.
Speaker 1: So they start throwing names out, like all kinds of names, big name artists, country artists, this style of artists, and the shit just didn't match. It didn't feel like. Then the motherfucker said jelly Roll, and the whole room lit up. Was like, that's the nigga him, and so we reached out. And when we reached out, Drey was gonna send him the track. Jelly Roll was like, no, I.
Speaker 2: Want to pull up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: He told me he came through. So I wasn't even there though. So that's how gangsta it was.
Speaker 1: It was like I had to hear it after the fact, and I didn't even meet him until I went to Nashville.
Speaker 2: Oh you didn't meet him. It's first time meeting him.
Speaker 3: You got to meet Bunny, his wife, and the wife, his.
Speaker 1: Whole team, his cruel, his best friend, and his other best friend. This motherfucker had five best friends like this. How they came in introduced me, Hey Snoop, I'm jelly Roll's best friend. Look take my hand. Then so was he finished, Hey Snoop, I'm jelly Roll's other best friend. Then motherfucker. Hey Snoop Dogg. I'm Jelly Roll's real best friend. I'm the one that discovered.
Speaker 2: All this shit.
Speaker 1: I said, I love Jelly Row because he got the same kind of crew I got.
Speaker 2: My homies loved me the same way.
Speaker 1: If you ask seven of my homies right now, they all gonna tell you, Nigga, I'm his best friend because I'm friends with everybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yo. I saw you talk about like I saw a quote. It was an article you did but essentially said that, you know, with this album, you kind of wanted to remind people that you're like one of the greatest of all time as an MC. Do you feel like, one do you care about that conversation? And two do you feel like when that conversation happens, your name gets brought up enough?
Speaker 1: I mean, I ain't got time to watch my highlights. I got a game to play them all here, so I can't worry about if I'm into Sports Center Top ten or the Hip Hop top ten. I keep putting in work, you know what I'm saying. That's one thing that's undeniable. You could check my resume. I came out in ninety two and this is twenty twenty four, and I've been relevant ever since I came out the dough forever. In music, let's say that first music first, and then other things culturally musically, yes, but music first, every year, every decade, and then the other things are my side quest, the things that I enjoy doing that I love doing it. I want to inspire others to do by taking chances on myself, like engaging and believing, believing in me, like I don't have to have nobody confirm that I can do this or try this. I just do it and get it done, and then it becomes you know, spectacular and famous and people love it, and hopefully it inspires the next generation to try and do it because I used to be a shy kid that was afraid to make moves and jump out there and do things. And now I'm a leader and I want to inspire the next man that may be shy or embarrassed to step up and become who he's supposed to be.
Speaker 3: I mean, you are the side quest, you know, master, I would say.
Speaker 2: Well, me and Shaquille O'Neil.
Speaker 3: I'll look, shaq is close, but I feel like you're kind of you've ran away with it for a while.
Speaker 1: But that's what I do do I do usually run away with it, you know what I'm saying. That's what I've been known to do. I'm a closer. You know what I'm saying. A lot of guys are relief pictures. I'm a closer. I close shit. You know what I'm saying. When I get up there, expect a w because I play hard, I practice hard, I study and I respect the game. And when you do all those things, it usually ends up in a successful way.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, man like throughout like the last thirty years, we've seen you have so many business ventures. I think till like back in the day, owning like Snoop Dogg clothing and like getting it from Burlington co Factory as a kid. You know what I'm saying, It was Outcast clothing and Snoop dog clothing around the same time.
Speaker 1: Shout out to CADATAI Jones Quincy Jones daughter. She the one who took me to a guy by the name of Michael Well. She took me to Andy Hill figure first and Tommy Hill figure and she got me a brand and deal with them. And then she said you need to create your own line. Snoop Dogg clothing. She gave me the idea, introduced me to the people, and that's how Snoop Dogg Clothing got kicked off. And it's before she even met Tupac.
Speaker 3: Yet, No Snoop dog Clothing was crazy. It literally was like if like if you like it looked like shit, you would just Snoop Dogg, like straight out the closet is stupid. But I just feel like, you know, even like going into the crypto space, like I feel like you were like a real pioneer when it comes to like showing artists like that, there is this other world in which you can kind of monetize, you know. I feel like maybe three years ago, there was people spending serious money to have digital real estate next to your house.
Speaker 1: In sandbox niggas by buying digital property for hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars, and the shit was like this big and you couldn't touch it. But it was the fact that I had went over to that industry and I had went on the ground I had started from the ground up. I didn't come over there and try to grab money. I went over there and I built what the creators. I went over there and let them use my name, my likeness, did collaborations, you know, changed the game, brought music over there, did things in an unorthodox way to where it was appealing to that world because that world is that same way, and I wasn't a superstar to them.
Speaker 2: I was on the ground level with them.
Speaker 1: So whenever I would put something out, they would respect it and buy it because I would usually do things with them or allow them to use my name on my likeness. Early when I first got into that world, people was using my face and all kinds of shit. My son was like, Pops, you gotta let 'em use it. They love you, That's why they doing it. It's not that they trying to make money off you.
Speaker 2: They love you.
Speaker 1: And once I understood that, then me and my relationship with the metaverse took a whole new lift because it was like Wow, Snoopers allowing us to use his face and his likeness as a creator and musically use his voice and blah blah this and that, and it was a connection that can't nobody break cause I built that.
Speaker 3: Nah, that shit's crazy, definitely, uh O the first to do that. I mean for sure, but in terms of just like the new ventures, like obviously you and Dre have a new drink.
Speaker 2: Gin and Juice, the gin and Juice and steal.
Speaker 3: Gen uh w th Like there's just so much. I feel like every other week we see something new. What is like your bandwidth like on a daily basis? Cause I j I mean I see death Row on everything I go to the store. There's death Row t shirts at Walmart. There's the death Row Happy Dad. You know what I'm saying, Like you got to have just I mean, the work ethic is still so crazy at this point in time in your career, Like how do you kind of manage and deal with just all of the ventures?
Speaker 1: What I did, keV, I put a team around me. For many years it would be me and a couple of people making things happen. So what I did was, I got a bigger team, I got a smarter team. I got employees or professionals at what they do. And then I'm back managed by William Morris and Aria Manuel. So positioning myself to get the best out of me while I'm putting in the best of my work right now and not having to focus on so many different things but being the creator, the boss, and the connector.
Speaker 3: I love it. I wanted to ask you about your second album because it's an album I feel like doesn't get talked about enough. It was probably one of the highest anticipated albums of all time because it's obviously the follow up The Doggy Style of The dog Father. What do you feel like? Because I love that album, like that that the you thought record was too short and Superflies? But what what do you think kind of went wrong with it? Was it like kind of like the beginning your the splintering of the relationship with Sugar, Like what kind of went wrong you think with dog Father? And why it kind of doesn't get looked at in the same kind.
Speaker 1: Of You got to think about what the dog Father was? What was the dog Father? It was the follow up album The Doggy Style, But what it was was Snoop Dogg becoming a man. Snoop Dogg realized that he wanted to live, that he wanted to separate from the madness, and at that time it was looked at as it was frowned upon because I was so gangster on my intro and so gangster with the way I was living, Like why don't you want to be gangster anymore. Well, how about I'm fighting a murder case, and when I win this murder case, I want to do right by the system, by God, by the way I was raised. And if the people around me don't get it, if the fans don't get it, if the label don't get it, fuck them, because in twenty twenty four, I'll be talking about why I made that decision, why that record sounds like that, why I was hope on that record, why I wrote about life more than death. Why I seen visions of me becoming a grandfather and living into my sixties and seventies by saying the right things in my music. Because realizing that the chronic and doggy style and the dog pound ap and everything that I had worked on, I had wrote all of the things that happened to me that were negative. I manifested it. So I wanted to write some positive shit.
Speaker 3: To matter ifest some positive shit, and it happened. Would you say that going through that trial, which is obviously one of the biggest trials in hip hop history, I know. I talked to Warren G about it. He said he was like, I got interrogated during that shit. You know what I mean like, would you say the uncertainty of like what your future looked like while you're going through that trial like kind of like change, Like because what if, like Doggy Style, you had that success and you were on that meteoric rise and that trial didn't happen and there wasn't something to kind of like shake you up a little and be like, hey man, this shit you know could get taken away, Like do you feel like that? It kind of changed your trajectory as like a man and an artist.
Speaker 1: Well, remember my good friend Tupacat got murdered, Sugar gets separated from got separated from us. All this happening while the dog Father is about to come out and then comes out.
Speaker 2: So it's like.
Speaker 1: The label is in disarray, there's death, there's division. I'm a crip bluzs and Crips is at it now. Sugar ain't fucking with me no more really, So it's like you don't really have the push and the support. And then the record that I made wasn't as violent or as gangster as the first one. So it's like if you go see Scarface, or you go see a better analogy, you go see a movie with Robert de Narrow where Casino, and then you see him in Meet the.
Speaker 3: Foxers ah BO.
Speaker 1: Both great, right, but the gangsters don't want to go see him in this family funny movie, but the shit is amazing. They only want to see him shooting, chilling mafia. That's all they want to see. So my audience was brainwashed at the time to think that that's all we did. And then you had Tupac smashing on niggas doing the gangster shit. I'm wood him on America's Most Warning, but then I ain't like that on my album. So it's like I'm two people because when I'm with Tupac, I'm fighting the murder case, but when I do the dog Father, I win the murder case.
Speaker 3: Different.
Speaker 2: So when I'm.
Speaker 1: Fighting he, I'm gonna try to keep a gangster and stay down and all that shit. But damn, I got these yours looking at me. So when I finished, I got to get.
Speaker 2: Back in there.
Speaker 1: I gotta beat this mode, right because you're on probation right now, you're on bail.
Speaker 2: I'm fighting a murder case.
Speaker 1: Sugar is in between both, so it's like Dre is on the way out and we don't know it.
Speaker 3: Crazy.
Speaker 2: So all this is going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the murder case pre existed because it was wild Mark wild Doggie style. It's just dragging on, it's just dragging out. So I got to build my best behavior so I won't get violated and get took to jail. I had a house niggas you know. I had house arrest for like six months. Yeah, because I damn near violated. It was like walking that fine line trying to keep a gangster. Then while I'm keeping a gangster with y'all, then eight in the morning, guess where I gotta be at in court with a suit on? Right, my client is not gang affiliate, Mike client as soon as I leave. Yeah, cub woo. It's a double life. Some got to give and it's my life. So at the end of the day, God gives you the control to control your life, to make a decisions. And I made a decision to do what I thought was the right thing, which is make a record that was aim in that direction to deal with what I was dealing with in life.
Speaker 3: In real life, I talked with Damian Young chot to Demiza. He had said that you don't get enough credit for trying to be a peacemaker during the East Coast West Coast drama that was happening. He mentioned the show at the Palace. It was like a power one a six show, and I guess Biggie pulled up. You guys met backstage. Biggie goes on stage. Does I think he did crush on you or something like that? And he said that you you walked out behind him like while he was on stage, like while he was performing, and did your you know, your snoop dance and shit, and he was just like that was that was never something that you would kind of like subscribe to. And I think that's obviously you know, well, well, well that we kind of know that, But like, was that like something that you know just the whole time that was happening. Obviously there's a source of words thing. But was that something that that never just sat right with you in terms of just that whole narrative.
Speaker 1: No, it didn't, because the East Coast was always the pinnacle of rap. They was always the gods. They was the ones who did it before anybody.
Speaker 3: I mean, you paid how much a slick rick on donk oh Man.
Speaker 1: They was the ones who showed us how to do it. So we would never want to get into it with the inventors or the creators, but a certain situations made us feel a certain way because we would never get our songs played on radio with certain things that would be biased towards us, and it was built up frustration. And then you got you know things that's happened in the industry with artists being shot at and being shot you know what I'm saying. So it's like it built up a hostility that was out of control.
Speaker 2: And I was a part of it. You know, New York and New York video was fucking but that was after them Nigga shot at us. We went out.
Speaker 1: We went out there to have them be in the video. They wouldn't let us sit a radio station. Then they us on ers and we didn't say nothing. Seven We came up to high ninety seven, so we can tell you, hey, New York, we're here to shoot a video. You know what I'm saying. Dog Brown, pull up, come show us some love. We're gonna be a Times Square. They wouldn't let us on. Then the word gets out Dog Pound Snoop Dogg and Tupac shooting a video and read hood brook Brooklyn and we had to exit. So but we kept it low. We didn't say nothing. We left it, left it alone. And that was sort of kind of like why Tupac had like animosity towards me, because he knew that that happened to me, and he suspected that that happened in it to him by the same circle. And I was still willing to forgive.
Speaker 3: Right, you were still willing to be the bigger man.
Speaker 1: When he was locked up, I was the gangster. So when he gets out, he expected me to stay the gainst. When you watch gangster movies, it's always two gangsters, right, and they ride it all the way out and then one and then one of them like, man, I'm on.
Speaker 3: It's like Nasa and Belly. Nasa is like I want to go to Africa and Tommy Buns is like fuck that.
Speaker 1: But that's life. That's just how it is. It's like all of my relationships have been like that. Even with me and Warren g when we started off, we was tied it in the glove musically, and then it had to take a point to where he had to separate and do his own shit to create who the fuck Warrene is because he would have just been up under us and being Dre's little brother. And this now, motherfuckers know that's Warren G the creator, g Funk, the regulator.
Speaker 2: He produced this. He did that.
Speaker 3: Only I mean saved deaf Jam as a West Coast artist, right.
Speaker 1: But you don't know the struggle of what it was before he got to that point. It wasn't just all right, Warren G, go do your own thing. It was maybe it's arguments. When you see my biopick.
Speaker 2: You'll see it. I ain't gonna give you too much man.
Speaker 3: Now, he explained a little bit, like he was kind of explaining like things got a little weird because he was like kind of the only guy who wasn't with Death Row and like kind of went and did his own thing, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And he's the one that brought the main piece to death Row, which is facts you.
Speaker 2: Bring the engine and you don't have to get in the car.
Speaker 3: That's craziness. That is that's interesting, YO, talk to me about you. Obviously getting with Pharrell kind of carved out another era of your career. Paid the cost to be the boss. Rhythmic Gangs to These were albums that I feel like are are kind of like up there with any of your bodies of work. Also shots of Blue Carmont Treatment that's one of my favorites. And last meal time Blue car Treatment so good.
Speaker 2: That's just so hard. Oh my god, that's my ship.
Speaker 3: But you like like being locked in with Dre in a way that you have the level you have. You've also worked with guys like DJ Premier throughout your career, like you've worked with the greatest of all time, Tim Molann, et cetera. But but like catching like that vibe with Pharrell where you guys are able to like really kind of ride a wave and like have multiple I mean, drop it like it's hot. It's like I mean as big a record that you have, you know what I mean, Like how cool is that to kind of like get in a group because a lot of people can get in with producers and like, hey, Pharrel made the album. We got a single, but you guys got into like a real I mean the Bush album was Dope slept on too.
Speaker 2: You know what people don't know about for real?
Speaker 1: This is what I really love about Cuz when he worked with me, when we was doing the first couple of things that we did, all he wanted to do was be around my gangster homies as R and B as he is and as melodic as he is.
Speaker 2: He was so infatuated with like, Snoop, bring your homies up here, cuffs, have your homies up here. Cut.
Speaker 1: He's just just like that. He's like, that's how he talked with being your homies up here, he cut, and all my homies like I want the worst of the worst of your homies, the one that steals, the one that are getting to fight, or what I need.
Speaker 3: I want these studio sessions to be a real liability.
Speaker 2: I want niggas up here. It's so many words.
Speaker 1: So I would bring all the niggas up there and that he would get. Like to me, he did what Dre did with Doggy's chaff. He had to learn me, but he had to learn my elements. And you can't just do that sit in the studio with me. You got to see me around my people. You got to see how I interact with my people. You got to get the vibe busts and when we made those records. He even allowed people like LT Hunting to produce tracks. He allowed Jelly Roll and other people to present because he knew that they was a part of my team, so it wasn't like it was a produced by Forarral top to bottom. He had the majority of it. But he allowed, hey man, your home way over there. Bring him in there, don't you do beats, Let's see what he got like. He was that type of you know, collaborated with me to where it was like we had fun together, and he was interesting because he wanted to tap in to this gangster shit. Then when we was into it with sug Knight, that's when he was trying to pull up. He was like, hold on, wait a minute, y'all really into it with the nigga, said, nigga, don't trip, nigga, stay out with this cripshit.
Speaker 2: Nigga.
Speaker 1: We got this nigga and then once we handle Cuz he was able to see all of that to see how the situation resolved not with violence, but which is standing up and being a man and putting your foot down.
Speaker 3: And then it's and then like that Bush album me all there, I don't know that ship is done.
Speaker 1: I get talked about that overseas. They love that. That was a great big hit overseas.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it was I think the like what I like I bought the CD, and I think the CD reminded me like the old No Limit cases because it was like a solid color case.
Speaker 2: Did you see the videos to Thattu, Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: The Stevie Wonder woan was amazing, the one with Charlie Wilson, like his thought process to me that when I'm not hearing on this earth anymore is when that record is going to be thoroughly appreciated because it's so dynamic and it's so futuristic that it was so ahead of its time. People were so used to hearing me and him do slappers and bangers, but we went to a whole other region with that.
Speaker 3: I want to talk about, Like, I just watched your cam interview and I know you touched a lot on your No Limit era. I remember the anticipation because I was a big MASTERP fan, like, ghetto dopeses my shit.
Speaker 2: I have my shit too.
Speaker 1: My home boy Badass Rest in Peace pulled up on me in a Cadillac and he was like, Doggie, dog, you gotta hit this shit, and he put the cassette in and ghetto Dope and I fell in love with him.
Speaker 3: No Limit and whole fire. But when you first dropped the game is to be Sold, not to be Told, and you had like the like the no Limit style cover and it was like your first I remember like running to the Wear. I think I saved my money. I might have sold some older CDs to get that motherfucker. But that album felt to me like it was like you go into No Limits world as to where uh, top Dog felt to me like you brought back. Yeah, now y'all got to come over here.
Speaker 2: Last Meal. Last Meal was straight see what you don't know? Three?
Speaker 3: Last Week is my favorite.
Speaker 2: Last Meal.
Speaker 1: Doctor Dre mixed it from top to bottom, every song on there.
Speaker 3: So when you were working on Last Meal, where you also simultaneously working on.
Speaker 2: Two thousand and one and the East Siders.
Speaker 3: Because we didn't get two thousand and one until after Last Meal.
Speaker 1: Right, last Meal, East Siders first album and Chronic two thousand and one time, and then we started working on the Wash because we had wrote the Wash while we did the Up a Smoke.
Speaker 3: Dude very slept on the soundtrack.
Speaker 2: Come on the.
Speaker 3: Nocturnalment that motherfucker. No but Last Meal. I remember when when Dre was on the there's the voicemail.
Speaker 2: On that Snoop.
Speaker 1: I've been listening to your album and I ain't saying nothing on this whole motherfucker on Layloy Laylo. But he sequenced the whole album. He mixed everybody's song. Everybody gave him the music. He sequest the Snoop Snoop Snoop, all that into boom boom boom boom into that, into all of that. He sequenced everything, even the ark yelly song crazy that's that ship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me and DLC wrote that.
Speaker 3: By the way, very slept on our record. That record was big, big record at radio.
Speaker 2: No Me.
Speaker 1: I used to perform that record with COUD when he was on the street. He's nigga that regular shooes nigga Young Chank kank kank Kang guanank kankankankank kank Gang.
Speaker 2: Shout out to my nigga nots for making that beat about the.
Speaker 3: Vah Yeah, oh man, But I'm curious, like, uh there. I remember having a bootleg version of the album that was supposed to come out, the fuck Death Row album. There was like a I don't know if I don't know how official it was, but I had like a napster downloaded version of like a fake Snoop Dogg album, but it was all it was you, But like that was an album You're gonna drop with Mac.
Speaker 1: Ten Yeah, and a couple of songs that got out because one of the engineers that I had worked ended up going to work for Death Row and was sugared him trying to put out that Walking Dead album.
Speaker 2: He slid them a field.
Speaker 3: Oh I remember that album. This Death Row chronic two thousand comes out. There's a guy on there that sounds just like.
Speaker 2: You, Top Doll.
Speaker 3: Oh he's he It's almost like like they went out and they were like, we have to find a Snoop Dogg impersonator to try to fool people. And then the name top Dog. You had an album called top Dog. You know, right, what were your thoughts when you heard that?
Speaker 1: Just that whole I was like, this nigga Sugar is a real hater. Like That's what my thoughts was, you know what I'm saying at the time. But then master P had seized me to like forgive and to move forward and not look back. Yeah, So I had to get trained into not paying attention to it because it was so much of it going on, Like every time I would try to drop or Dre would drop.
Speaker 3: There would be something where if someone went to a record store they'd see something else next to it and be like, wait, what what's this?
Speaker 2: And then like the dead Man walking shit.
Speaker 3: I forgot about that.
Speaker 1: And then my fuck death Row album had leaked a little bit of it because one of the guys that was my engineers had ended up getting paid off by death Row to work for them, and he slid a couple of my songs over there. And that's when they started creating finding somebody to sound like me?
Speaker 2: Can you believe that?
Speaker 1: It's like they did a talent search to find a nigga that sound like me, which to me, it was like I was. I was happy, like I'm really on your nigga's mind, like that where y'all trying.
Speaker 3: To find a nigga that sound you can't just find someone new, right.
Speaker 1: And it's like, okay, so I must be hurting, y'all. And that's what put me on a mission. I started, like when I went to make music. After that, my mission was to make great fucking music. And I think I went on a mission for like six straight years.
Speaker 3: So you went on a run.
Speaker 2: Like Snoop Dogg wasn't playing with nobody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, doing songs with everybody, putting people on, making sure my records was right, doing big tours.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Getting down in the mixtape world, like whatever was coming out, I was always ahead of it.
Speaker 2: Even with fifty cent was open enough for me.
Speaker 1: And we showed g Unit how to get his background right because in the beginning they just was up there. So I had the dog panting, all my crew with me, so fifty would come in my dress room, we chop it up. I give him a little piece of game. Then before you know it, his show got right. Hold on, don't do that in the club. Shouldn't be your first song. That's got to be your last song. You can't come out to that. That's at the back boom. Take him on the road again. This time were on the road. He dropped one of the niggas off the tour and ended up making it his tour. And now it's just me and him.
Speaker 2: Then I got a.
Speaker 1: Band rocking with the band. Next time I see him on the road, he rocking with a band. So it's like we learn, we teach, we give information. When you associated, you affiliated. And I've been able to like take my career and give game to other people and receive game along the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for sure, during that kind of time where you and and Sugar going back and forth, whether it be you know, publicly or not, would you ever have thought that like death Throw would be yours one day. Like it's kind of crazy if you really think about it, because you had you had your label Doghouse, which had like doll these angels in the east Side is and but fast forward and you I feel like you've taken the death Row brand and like it's everywhere. Dude, Like I feel like you've slapped that motherfucker on what, Like you got that licensing shit going crazy, But.
Speaker 1: That's what you're supposed to do. Like my thing was getting it cleaning it up. I had to clean up the bullshit first because it was so much negative energy around it. People was afraid of what Sug was gonna think and how you know the industry would react to doing business but with death Row considering knowing that this nigga would be in the back trying to hate us, saying things negative. But I was like, I'm just gonna clean up all of this shit, give it a whole new approach, walk it out in a different light, and move with love as the purpose of Death Row Records. They connect the dots that they didn't do, like, they didn't do none of the things that I'm doing with the label, and they had it way longer than me. I ain't had the label for two years and I've done more things that's been done with this label in thirty years.
Speaker 3: I mean, the October London Kid is incredible, thank you, and then obviously the new Dog Panama is crazy, east Side is are back?
Speaker 1: You're I mean D Smoked Smoke. I want D Smoke on Death Row Records. I'll say it publicly. We always talk about it. We need to figure it out.
Speaker 3: I know we've been talked about. I know it was in the air.
Speaker 2: I'm not ashamed to say I won't de Smoke of from Inglewood.
Speaker 1: I live over here now, I'm in the Inglewood area, and he's such a factor to the hip hop game, to the community to just like even how I met him on that show.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's true. And when you ask him where you're from right now? But where are you from?
Speaker 1: And I'm checking him trying to see if he a gang member, was he a rapper right, and come to find out he becomes my brother.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and one of the best guys, shocking him and Sir.
Speaker 1: Bro won't you and Inglewood, Sir Davean, I take the whole family.
Speaker 2: We're playing with me.
Speaker 3: In twenty eleven, I want to say, there's a historical moment yourself corrupt the game. I'm missing somebody else. Essentially passed the torch to Kendrick Lamar on stage. Yes, yes, Kendrick gets emotional. I think that was like a real turning point.
Speaker 1: Well, at that time the game, he was the one that was carrying the tour. He was fucking carrying the toys game, was sucking it up, he was getting it in, he was busting, he was battling niggas, he was keeping the gangster. He was taking niggas on tour, selling hell of records. But he was doing g shit and we shouldn't forget that. A lot of times we run past him to get to the game.
Speaker 3: Had a grand I mean, he was holding the West Coast.
Speaker 1: That's why he was on stage when Kendrick was presented that because it was all a part of us seeing that he was the next in line. That's how we do it on the West, we give it to who was accordingly running the show, so game naturally on stage with me, we felt like he didn't won. And it wasn't no discussion that we had three weeks ago. That shit happened right there.
Speaker 3: What happened on the spot.
Speaker 1: This nigga was fucking it up. We in the crowd watching this nigga fuck it up. I'm sitting with Doctor Dre and the crowd watching this nigga fuck it up, and I'm like, I gotta go on stage with this nigga.
Speaker 2: Dream. I'm sorry, I can't be in the crowd.
Speaker 1: So I go on stage and he do another song, then another song, and they look over at me and they had me to mic. I'm like, man, fuck all this shit, nigga, this nigga.
Speaker 2: Is the king.
Speaker 1: And everybody agreed, and that nigga broke down in tears. And it was beautiful because I watch him now and I see all the work he put in before he took the crown and after he got the crown.
Speaker 2: He is a true king.
Speaker 3: When you heard him talk about your and whacked out mirros and posting the tailor freestyle, I I saw you retweet it and say it was the Edibles. What were your thoughts when you first heard.
Speaker 1: That's my nephew. Man, he's a rapper man. He's supposed to speak his mind and tell his truth. Yeah, that's the way he felt, you know what I'm saying. And he has the right to say that. I'm his big home boy, So I have to take what's given to me from his perspective because he's speaking truth, and the truth shouldn't hurt you, It should make you better.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I'm one to accept truth when it's brought to me directly. He feels that I shouldn't have played that damn I was on him edibles, my Nigga, I gotta be more careful you, right, nephew.
Speaker 3: I mean there was like an AI transposed version of you on that song, which was crazy, right, Like Yeah, that shit was diabolically like I don't even know, like one of the weirdest things.
Speaker 1: But the crazy part is I can say it. What happened was what had happened was That's how Nigga said. What had happened was I did a collaborative post with someone.
Speaker 2: You know, you do a.
Speaker 1: Collaborative post and you do a lot of those, right, So when I do it, I don't listen to the music.
Speaker 2: I just see Jen and Juice because it's my brand. Right.
Speaker 1: So when I posted, I'm thinking I'm posting Jen and Juice. I don't know what song it says. I don't I'm not hip to everybody's music.
Speaker 2: Right. Then I get the word Nephew didn't like what you did? What did I do? You play some music?
Speaker 3: What music?
Speaker 2: Then I had to go look at them. I'm like, oh, that's cuz damn.
Speaker 1: So then I deleted it, called nephew, left him a message because he ain't picked up. He was working on this shit. I left him a message, Nephew, it's uncle Snoop. I got the message. I apologize. I was fucked up. My bad.
Speaker 3: Did you feel like at all, like weird about like that? Like Drake using your voice?
Speaker 1: Man? I don't want to be in nobody's shit. Man, I like being in my own shit. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Because you didn't know that was happening. No, I didn't to me like if you were gonna do that, like you should like tap in, like, hey, I'm gonna use your voice on some shit.
Speaker 2: But see I'm such a big figure. It's I'm Uncle Snoop.
Speaker 1: I'm accessible to everybody, so everybody feels like they can because I don't have too many parameters when they come to me. But when it comes to beef, that's a real parameter that I do have. I don't get in nobody's beef. I'm usually the one who ends the beef, but if it's out of my reach, then I step out and allow two men to get an understanding. And that's what I feel like, these two men and two rappers should establish where they don't need me to take side or jump in. I'm from no West, so my heart lies on the West.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, when it comes to this ship, you gonna handle your business because you from the motherfucking West. You don't need no help. And if you needed help, you wouldn't have to ask. I would have been on the double.
Speaker 3: That's fair. What are your thoughts on the lawsuit?
Speaker 2: Next question?
Speaker 3: I didn't got to ask.
Speaker 2: Next question? You know, we in on the West, we hold court in the streets. Guh.
Speaker 3: Fair See, that's that's all. Yeah, that's a fair point.
Speaker 2: That's just what we call it.
Speaker 3: YO on this new album is there's there's a I love the way you ended it. The negotiator was hard, it's it's it's a lot of sonics on this album. There's a lot of dope, like what I feel like what you all were able to do was also like shine a light on some features that weren't necessarily like household names that have been like doing their thing for a while. Was there any anything that didn't get finished feature in time for like that almost you knows cross the finish line making the album, or that you were trying to make happen that just didn't end up working out.
Speaker 2: Nah. We were specific about what we wanted.
Speaker 1: We had a white board in the room, white board, not a white boy a board, and the nixt thame you had a white boy in the room, white board, b old ard, and we would write down, you know, the songs accordingly that we thought that would make it. And then we had another list called shit out of Luck. So the Shit out of Luck was the songs that didn't make the album. So we would always look at these and then look at Shit out of Luck and be like, which one?
Speaker 2: So give you a perfect example.
Speaker 1: It's probably not the answer you're looking for it, but I think it's good we had the album right here.
Speaker 2: Then we're looking that Shit out of Luck.
Speaker 1: I don't like this one song on the album, and Draine really fucking with it either, So we're trying to figure out what should we do.
Speaker 2: Or how can we make it better?
Speaker 1: So I say, hey, that motherfuck over there on Shit out of Love, that's a hit if.
Speaker 2: You just touch it. It's sticky, situation, fire, banging fire. That motherfucker was over there.
Speaker 3: It wasn't even gonna make the album, no way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had to go fish hooking back in and say, cuh, nigga, you.
Speaker 2: Hear what I'm saying on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, you're going in.
Speaker 1: And you hear if you touch that music and put all that and then when it changes into.
Speaker 2: The oh my god, it's an experience for sure.
Speaker 1: So that was one of those records where I had to go save it rather than records that didn't make it.
Speaker 3: Was there like other attempts of you guys doing a version of this throughout the years, because we always hear like Dre is so like I don't know how many times we've heard about the Detox and how many times it's been restarted, Like did you guys ever attempt to do this specific mission of an album and it just didn't end up coming to fruition in the past.
Speaker 2: Nope.
Speaker 3: So this is the first time.
Speaker 2: The don't miss.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that motherfucker don't miss when me and him say we going in, we're locked in.
Speaker 2: Yeah. We never locked in after this.
Speaker 1: The last time we locked in was the last meal when it was like, Hey, card I need you to mix my album and I sat up there with him and he mixed every song, but he didn't produce every song, but he heard all of my lyrics on every song. So when I got to certain songs, when we got to that's that shit, he was like, you got you in DLC, gotta write this again. So he made me like rewrite certain things, and when we did the wrong idea, he loved badass verse and then my verse. He was like, I like the way you started, but you got even to change. That's why when I changed, I said I'm down with P and d r E A real nigga from the motherfucking LBC. I just looked like this, I stay down with the twist. I'm real with this some deepest abits. I gave you a pound, then I gave you a wife a kiss. I had to dip because y'all was full of that bullshit. Yeah, so he made me change all of that when it wasn't even his beat. So now when we lock up on this project, it ain't like that. It's like I'm producing you snoop. So that means when you come over here, you sit down and you follow my instructions. And I wanted That's what I wanted. With all of the shit that I'm doing, I was missing that last piece, that musical piece that was dynamic and transparent with how I'm living right now, rather than you judging me off of Doggie style Blue Carpet Paid the Calls. No, you're judging me off a missionary twenty twenty four, How I'm Living and har I'm Rocket.
Speaker 3: You had said when I first walked in, you were saying that this is like this is like your main shit, Like all the other shit are off side quests, right, But the music has always been the lifeline. Like I think about the algorithm, we're super dope, Like you've had even the gangster grill shit, you know what I mean, Like I fuck Mount Wesmore came out. You know what I mean? Is it hard for you to still be inspired, like to like get in the studio, and when you lose any inspiration, what do you do to kind to light that fire back to kind.
Speaker 1: Of I think having a record label, I would never lose interest in the studio. And then I got three studios here, and then I got so many dynamic artists that I love working with and love seeing them make records. And then I'm always listening to what's hot and what's new, and then I'm listening to what's old that last forever. So it's like I'm challenging myself to try to make shit that matters. Music is the universal language of all people, and if you bless with the abilities to do it, you're supposed to give up as much as you can. I look at the ones that have passed away and moved on and how their music remains and how their music like really touches the soul because they put their heart into it. And that's what I'm doing.
Speaker 3: I gotta there's an album that I can't get on Spotify. I only can listen to it on YouTube, and it's a shitty upload, the two on three album.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna get it back. I'm gonna get contrued. What's going Like TVT had it in they l.
Speaker 3: I remember it was out on TVT so flies by ship.
Speaker 2: Dog like yeah, and they dissolved.
Speaker 1: They were ones who gave me the first deal for the East Siders two one three. They was the realist. Motherfucker Mark Binnich rest in Peace was a great guy. But they had that album and the label I think went bankrupt. So they got to call Tom Wada knows who got that motherfucker.
Speaker 2: What's his name?
Speaker 3: This is not on Spotify.
Speaker 1: No, I gotta get I can get the whole album, like you want to release it on death Row like remastered, that'd be.
Speaker 3: The way to go. I mean, I know when I was talking to Warren, he said he has like a pretty serious he do well. He's also got like unreleased Nate Dog shit.
Speaker 1: He got him and fred Reg both they got a bunch of n Nate Dog used to go from Warren G's house to Fred Reg's house. Then he used to fuck with this dude named Lance. But Lance was his engineer, so Nate would work out of his house. He would make song after song. Him and Tupac got the same work ethics.
Speaker 3: Oh so that'll tell you how much unreleased Nate doalk news because.
Speaker 1: Too, him and Tuplac got the same work ethic. I'll say that that's how he's on so many different hooks. That's why when people will call, Nate would show up. He gonna get that bag and give you a hell of a hook.
Speaker 3: Would you consider a version of like a like finding some of that unreleased Nate dog shit and maybe doing something with it on death row?
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, And I got a beautiful relationship with his mother and Miss Ruth, so we would make sure that the estate get the majority of the fire.
Speaker 3: And his son is dope, and hell's dope.
Speaker 2: Come on.
Speaker 1: Nigel played in the Snoopy Football League. He was my quarterback for a couple of years.
Speaker 3: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: I coached that kid. That's my guy.
Speaker 3: By the way, shout out to the underdogs. I see the poster behind.
Speaker 1: Your speaking of the man. You know we don't play no game that. I started the year up with that movie, right movie. January twenty sixth, twenty twenty four is when my mission began this year to become the man of the Year.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean you're on your fucking way. I mean we got two weeks left.
Speaker 2: You're gonna like what y'all doing Time magazine, What we're doing?
Speaker 3: They put Trump on the cover. What he wasn't he got it? Trump got it? How I don't know he got it. It just dropped like, yes, we miss you, Donnie oh Man. I also wanted to ask you. I always wonder when a dope like like if a dope disc record comes out, that's about you. But it's hard.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, check you out if you walk through my hall on certain days, I got a radio station on lit Life used to be Cadillac Music on a.
Speaker 2: What was the name of that shit that.
Speaker 1: Ski got oh dash, Yeah, they changed the lit Life So I got a station called Cadillac Music. Every day at about one point thirty two o'clock, walk down the hall, Easy E Dreister and BG Knock. I'll be real, motherfucking g and that shit be knocking and you hear me singing it.
Speaker 2: Yo.
Speaker 1: I was gonna ask you what motherfuck drake, motherfuck shugar, motherfuck death row yoh here comes to my left helse. I know that that nigga Easy was on my.
Speaker 3: Head, yo, And that started out with the calm tongue.
Speaker 2: That shit so hard So when you first heard it, did you think that falk no fuck them niggas.
Speaker 3: Because that shit as hard as fuck, Like.
Speaker 1: You don't want to give no nigga no credit with a nigga dissing you nigga.
Speaker 2: And we and we was on them nigga's head.
Speaker 1: We had what would you do, We had dred, we had all kind of shit. We was busting them upside the head. But when they dropped that motherfucker, we felt that one. That shit was hard, like we felt like the other ship. We didn't put that motherfucker right there. Because Easy was going in on the nigga. I was like, damn, I love Easy, Why are you going so hard on me? But then I had to think, look what you did to him, Look what you said about him, Like you didn't even get off to a good start with somebody that you really loved.
Speaker 2: Dog.
Speaker 3: It's crazy because Warren was telling me there was a certain point in time during the beef that like Easy and Dre were like communicating yeah, and damn near You're like, like I want to say, he said, they were like, damn your neighbors.
Speaker 2: And we didn't know it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we we taking to be personal this nigga Doctor dre making records.
Speaker 2: Like he ain't. It ain't that serious for him.
Speaker 1: That's what we have seen because we come from a lifestyle of we do what we say, so if we're gonna say it, we gotta do it. You know what I'm saying, Doctor Drake come from there. We making records. We took his shit personal. When it was just business with him, he was just trying to get his business straight, but we took it personal and dis niggas and when we see y'all, niggas is on and pop and what's happening the cub what y'all want to do?
Speaker 2: When he wasn't like that. If he's seeing easy, he just be like, what's haddening? Neighbors?
Speaker 3: We didn't know that.
Speaker 2: We think of this nigga lived in confetence.
Speaker 3: Wardry was like they would see each other like, well, they were taking the trash out all the time.
Speaker 2: Wow, Like what come on? Man?
Speaker 3: Who would have thought?
Speaker 1: See, Warren was in the middle of all that shit because he was there from the beginning game verway, so all of them was his family members, so he could never take a side.
Speaker 3: Not that that was interesting.
Speaker 1: They are easy And then y'all got us on that draister knock out. Y'all, y'all answered us on some crip shit. Y'all did that cause it's a great record, great motherfucking record. You know what I'm saying. That's what a real man do when he gets stolen. He got to take that.
Speaker 3: They it's been said that you smoked in the White House.
Speaker 2: You have footage?
Speaker 3: Did you smoke in the White House?
Speaker 2: Do you have footage? I don't have footage.
Speaker 1: Well, I might have not to answer that question, and my lawyer advised me, I don't know how much time you can get for that.
Speaker 3: I don't think you got I mean, I think it's probably uh. I mean, they just found cocaine in the White House, to be quite.
Speaker 2: Fair, and that nigga just got out.
Speaker 3: He did get parted.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: I ain't gonna tell on myself, but let me say the bathroom had a nice aroma to it after I left.
Speaker 3: Hypothetically speaking, someone who's passed passed through security at the White House, how would someone sneak of pre.
Speaker 2: Roll in in your sock?
Speaker 3: In your sock?
Speaker 1: That's fair, you know, to pat a nigga down if you got them socks with those of that. They feel like it's part of the sock. Nigga roll got out of rolls in the sock, so he slide him in the road. And they ain't for the I'm the d O double. They not fora pat me down like that nigga. They happy to see me.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Snoop Dog's here, he's here, he's work right there.
Speaker 1: How are you, mister dog? Can you go through the metal detection? I have my lovely wife my daughter with me as well. Yes, let them come through as well. Oh, the Obamas are expecting you in a real way. Oh you don't even have to go through that room. Then when I get in, they like, hey, dog, the butler want to holler at you. So I go in the kitchen. The butler's a nigga like me, real nigga too, What up deal?
Speaker 3: Dub?
Speaker 1: Want to hook you up something real because they out there eating that rich shit. You want some wings or something? I'm like, yeah, I said, man, where can I hit something? He said, go to the bathroom over there to the left and spray that light saw two times.
Speaker 2: When you leave, shout out to the bus nutler.
Speaker 3: Oh shit, yo, Me and me and g Malone shout to g Malone uh with Glasses, Yeah, I love that guy. Man.
Speaker 1: We have what I call him my hip hop statistician. We always have all of the stats on Snoop Dogg, and he has all of the history when it comes to defending me. He would be my lawyer and my hip hop statistician.
Speaker 3: Well, I have Doggy Style. I kind of have like a one, two three at any given time of my favorite album ever, it's doggy Style. It's really doggy Style or Illmatic to be quite honest, what's one of those two? And it's for me it's doggy Style. I mean doggy Style changed my life, like I told you, But he looked like doggy Style to me is like the kind of epicenter of like everything in like you could trace so much back to that album. But me and Glasses always talk about how when we're talking about like like there's like a you're a one of one, You're the most famous motherfucker on the planet Loki, Like there's I think you're You're like like are you like a self aware to realize like you're you might be the most famous person alive.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I can't go certain places I know that.
Speaker 3: Where can't you go to your mama house? No fucking but like I mean you you might be the most famous person like on the planet. Like who doesn't know who you are? You know what I'm saying, Like there's people who don't know who Lebron James is. There's people who don't know even Donald Trump, you know what I mean? Like, I feel that's crazy, keV.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, when you when you're in the body, you don't have that experienced out of body experience. But at the same time, I'm watching how my base is growing, how the fan base of people that would never look at me, speak to me, recognize me.
Speaker 2: You have an Elf on the shelf, Snoop on the stoop.
Speaker 3: Do you know how fucking crazy that is? And my kid We've been doing Elf on the shelf with this kid since he was a baby, right, And this year he said, next year I want the snoop.
Speaker 2: I said, what the d o? Double man? The kids love him. He get down there and talk to him. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: It's a big difference from a superstar that's up here and the kids gotta can I have your Yeah?
Speaker 2: Snoop Dogg. Good right here? Hey, what's that now you doing?
Speaker 3: Yo? I wanted to ask you to speak shout to Jason Martin the Homely Problem. Him and I had a debate on my pod. We're talking about which label is greater, Death Row or TDE. I said death Row because I think of the tree that came from everything that came from Death Row. But TD is right there for you, man, Like, what has it been like watching just like some even another like West Coast label, just even being in that conversation like.
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, let me say this Top is my god. I love him. I watched his hustle, his climb to where he got to, getting his artists together as simbling all of that talent, putting the gangs to the back, putting the talent to the front, keeping that family vibe, making sure everybody supports each other, keeping a legit clean business, non violent. Top deserves a lot of respect, been clean, been righteous, got his boys working with him, got.
Speaker 3: His kids and his sons are helping with Man like this.
Speaker 1: Needs to be commended. Does the annual Christmas event that beauty peaceful? They did the walk in Compton where it was beautiful like the things that he does is overshadowed sometimes by the music and the things that his artists do. But he's got to be a backbone and the foundation to this. And he watched for many years label executives mishandled power and abuse artists and do things the wrong way. So he just practices the great way of doing business. That's why I love him and appreciate him and support him. And he got my back and I got his back when it comes to anything musically community wise, and that needs to be commended. As far as what he does, as far as the simboling and keeping his business legit. You never hear no smut nothing negative about TDE. He don't have that back lash of death Row that I had to take on right and get rid of. So naturally, yes, you would say that TDE is the new version of death Row.
Speaker 3: I mean, and also like better, a much longer run, but better, because I feel like people forget how short like the death Row run was, like.
Speaker 2: We was the Michael Jordan bulls cuh right.
Speaker 3: Like it felt like it was forever. But if you really look back.
Speaker 1: To Michael Jordan was ninety two to ninety six, Michael when Michael Jordan win this championship with the Bulls.
Speaker 3: It was ninety ninety one was the first one, right, and then to ninety three and then yeah, I mean two three Pietz.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, so we went up to ninety six.
Speaker 1: I say ninety six cause that's when Tupac came, right, Dupac came in ninety six and he passed away in ninety six, So you got to think about that's how long our run was, ninety two to ninety six.
Speaker 3: Yeah, TV's going on nine to now. I mean, and TD got R and B and he got the biggest one of the biggest pop stars in the world, Sissa.
Speaker 1: And they got that new girl she shees supers. They like they keep hitting you upside the head with shit abs. So motherfucking schoolboy, Q Jay Rock Sir, Inglewood Sir.
Speaker 2: Like they just flood in the game. And it's like, you got to commend.
Speaker 3: That ras from Long Beach.
Speaker 1: So we at Death Row we look up to them as opposed to the other way around.
Speaker 2: And how it used to be.
Speaker 1: He used to be they'd look up to us because we was the big fish in the small pond. Now I's like they sat in the board setting the trend and the things that his artists and what they're doing is things that I can follow and do for my artists and for myself. That's what the game is about, learning and getting information and not being too big to ask. I called Kendrick maybe a year and a half ago when I was overseas and I had watched him perform at the Paris He had did a show in Paris on Amazon, and I was so fucking intrigued with his show and his showmanship and the way he had his shit together. I hit Terrys Mare and I said, cook me k dot number. He gave me his number and I called cause. I said, man, how the fuck did you do that?
Speaker 2: Show? Man?
Speaker 1: What I got to do to make my show like that? And he gave me some simple shit about like just keep doing the shit you do, and but it was so much information in that small conversation that I ended up making my show like even better. But that's me not having an ego and reaching out to someone who's younger than me, flyer in me to open in me and got a tap on some shit that I need to get information on.
Speaker 3: Would you see would you say? Because I feel like that is one thing about you, Snoop is it feels like you are like as big as you are, as legendary as you are, You're like you have a lot of humility, Like you you're willing to like step aside from your ego. Would you say that like that is a key to longevity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, whatever you put out to what you're gonna get. Like, it's a lot of shit that be happening to people, and then you wonder why. It's the energy that they put out, Like I went through mins early because that was the energy I put out. So, like I told you when I got to The dog Father, I was trying to find a new energy and I've just been sticking with it and it is what it is. You got to find the energy that the universe provides for you to keep you in a safe space. And some people don't do that. They always go to the negative energy or they try to find ways to you know, impress people instead of trying to be the best version of themselves.
Speaker 3: That's fair, that's fair, man. Look, Missionary is out. It is a great body of work.
Speaker 1: What what would you rate it on a So when I got a new dog album, I ain't even talking about wanted ten just snooped off.
Speaker 3: I have two fool listens, so you can't give me no radio. So that's what I'm saying. So I was at the TD thing last night.
Speaker 2: I came to your mixed up. You had all that good music.
Speaker 3: So on my on my way to your DJ at the Teah event, Well I came. I came to your thing last night, so on my way to your thing, I listened.
Speaker 1: By the way you DJing first at the TD event when you walked in KIV, you was rocking.
Speaker 2: You had the party rocking and got some rounded and I couldn't see you no more.
Speaker 3: This was crazy. Forest Whitaker caught a crazy straight on the album. By the way, he says lier than.
Speaker 1: I said, it's the only boy that that that Ron Well, he's in the room discussing. It was like, what Ron with that? Oh Forest, Okay, let's go.
Speaker 3: I would say, I mean, dude, I would say this like it would be just I mean, I can't really give you, like a serious rating off off of because because even like on our way over here listening to it for a third time, it just felt good.
Speaker 2: It's one of them things gonna ruin you.
Speaker 3: I think all the great albums do.
Speaker 2: That's what I was about to say.
Speaker 1: The Chronic album, Yeah, it became when it first came out, g than it had to row. She thing had to grow, then Dreda, it grew a little bit more. By the time he got to Let Me Ride, motherfuckers had lived with the album and they had understood what it was about. So then when we get to Doggystown, that's what all the expectation and anticipation because you didn't hurt all this great shit. This has been so many years separated from me and doctor Dre, so you expecting snooping Dre, but you ain't heard it so long you don't even know what the fuck it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because it's new too, and it's.
Speaker 2: Always been new. We've never been what they are.
Speaker 1: Ye think about the records that we've done, they've never sounded like anything that was out that year, and they've never been in the world of I think.
Speaker 3: That's just kind of I mean, I think even like Central Seduction is like, no one has ever made a song like that since or before.
Speaker 2: He read for writing that record for.
Speaker 3: Me, such a great fucking record.
Speaker 1: He wrote it for himself. But then he said, I don't want to say this record what you think you won't. I said, I'm going up might check, I'm going Figatto.
Speaker 3: When you guys like were getting like like finishing up this album. Was this around the time like the Kendrick shit was really because it feels like there's this West Coast moment that, like you know, my boy DJ Head always says, like all the like everyone's setting it up for like the West Coast to have another moment to like run hip hop like you guys did in the nineties, Right, do you feel that that same energy, like yo, like kind of all eyes are on us over here now, like it's a matter of like delivering now.
Speaker 1: With the records. I'm gonna tell you this hip hop always shifts. It shifted from day one. East Coasts had it, They ran it. It was they whirl.
Speaker 2: They controlled the media, radio, look the look, the style.
Speaker 3: By the way, they still control the media for the most.
Speaker 1: They look, the style, the everything. Right then it shifted the West Coast. We took it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we didn't ask for it. We took it. And when we took it, we ran with it.
Speaker 1: We showed motherfuckers how you can have it outside of New York and remain you while doing it. Then it shifted back to the East coast because Biggie and them came and took that motherfucker back. Then DM Mex and all the niggas came in fifty, said jay Z, And then nigga New York niggas was not playing nigga like, hold on, y'all gonna take some shit that we created. Nigga, Wait a minute, Boom took it. But when they took it, they was not respecting.
Speaker 3: The South, and the South has had it.
Speaker 1: They did not respect the South, but the West always respected the South.
Speaker 2: So what the.
Speaker 1: South did was said, hey, let's call our cousins from the West and asked them what they did. We just gang bang and took our shit. Oh that's what you gotta do, yep. And guess what else we did. We made them do what we do. What you mean they gang bang? Now, Oh that's all you gotta do. Cool, we gonna bounce, We're gonna get crunked, we're gonna put these grills in our mouth.
Speaker 2: We're gonna talk about these strip clubs.
Speaker 1: We're gonna pop this players ship from down South, and we're gonna take this motherfucking rap game, and we're gonna hold it longer than y'all niggas had it. I mean, hello, jeez, they probably had the longest run. It's so good for the South. Niggas rap like them now. Everybody stop me when I'm stop me when I'm lying. No, I didn't even wrap on something, but remember who saved me from death?
Speaker 3: Row Master P?
Speaker 2: Where you from from?
Speaker 3: New Orleans?
Speaker 2: Hello?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: South West connect We've always been there. It's just been a disconnect with the East. So when the South took it, they don't want to give it back. The South don't want to give it back. But there's somebody strong that can take it from the South.
Speaker 2: That's us the West.
Speaker 3: I think that's what's dope about the timing of Missionary.
Speaker 2: You could have made that motherfucker to a cartoon that should have been.
Speaker 3: Hard Missionary and gn X coming out in the same like months.
Speaker 1: Hey, hey, don't sleep on ice Cube album and the Cube album is dope.
Speaker 3: It's my egos, my shit. Great that it is so sensitive, but there's even like the dog Pan album a few months ago, the east side of shit is. I just feel like it's like it's and I just hope that is there anybody on the younger side of La hip hop that you got your eye on that you're just a fan of isn't necessarily associated.
Speaker 2: That Meet the WAPs, that's the name of Meet the Woops.
Speaker 1: I love him, Yeah, I love him because I love I love the Red Side, I love the JA. But I love how the rap game on the West is leveling out. Like for a while, you know, the crips, we was like dominate for sure, So now you're starting to see young blood homies get it in and collaborate and win and then do things on their own and peace up and network.
Speaker 2: That's what the West is about.
Speaker 1: It's about And I command Kendrick for this too, for bringing the Hispanics in as well, because that's what the West is. We are made up of many cultures, and basically Hispanic Blacks are the dominant off the top.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's such so many dope Mexican rappers out of La right, So it's like the Coyote Lefty Gun plays the.
Speaker 1: Work that we do. You know a lot of times we do work and it don't be broadcast. Like it's an artist that I got on Death Row named Julean Tordaz who makes a mediachi music and fred Rick brought him to me. He performs at the Dodger games and does all kinds of things. Come to find out, the girl that's singing on kendrick album is in his band.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, because he found her at the Dodger game.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 1: So this is how we work on the West. Like his plug, his plug, his plug. That's why on that song gorgeous? What I say last time I checked, I was the plug to your plug. I'm the fucking connect, hear me. I am the plug to the plug.
Speaker 3: The actual connect.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 3: Yes, the source, I'm the power, the source.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can turn you off.
Speaker 3: Well listen everyone go get the album. It's incredible. The vinyls Wild. If you guys want to a condom.
Speaker 2: You want a condom to spend around on your s P twelve.
Speaker 3: Hundred literally, like you said, this is the clinic one.
Speaker 2: Though you just want to get it. You got VD the free one. What you're doing in here, Get you a couple of rows and get on out of.
Speaker 3: Here in a paper bag. They send you out the door.
Speaker 2: And then you see you're a preacher on the way in. Like what you're doing here? Brother? I just came to take a physical. Brother is ain that kind of doctor though.
Speaker 3: The drink is everywhere. I mean, it's everywhere.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: We're working right now, okare right now. We're in our wonder years, were having fun. We set in trends. We're showing people that there's no such thing as age when it comes to hip hop and business. A lot of times we get categorized as far as like you're old. But they don't do that to any other industry, but hip hop.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: So your holy stores are still torn, they're like fucking eighty years old.
Speaker 1: But that's why we rewriting history with showing that there should never be no limit on what you do based off of how you do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you're still I mean you were, by the way, For people who don't know, the reason why you weren't at the pop out was because you were in Canada with DJ Quick.
Speaker 1: You guys had a quick Warren g Yeah, dog Pound. We went over there to put the West you know what I'm saying, put the flag back up. Somebody had to go over there and do it, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: What was it like watching that moment though in Canada? Being like fuck.
Speaker 1: How about we in my dressing room, all of us before I get on stage, and we got it on YouTube and we rocking to that motherfucker, seeing everybody he bringing on stage, watching how young k Dot takes his leadership, roll into you know, the next level, having E forty's voice come through the fucking speakers before he hit the stage, just seeing the how the level of how everybody was performing. Then when he came out, that shit was like here facts and that's what the fuck is supposed to be.
Speaker 3: I love it, man, the Missionary movie. I watched it. It's like you guys, by the way, for people who don't know, there's like a twelve minute movie that you guys dropped.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: And if you love Dexter, which I do, did you watch Dexter fucking love?
Speaker 2: So I'm mad that shit discontinued.
Speaker 3: No, no, they did, you see they they they dropped. First of all, they dropped a new Dexter like two years ago. He survives, and then his son, you know, his son, remember his little boy. His son's grown. So he finds his son, his son kills him. A well, I can't, oh, come on now, anyway, you know, I love that there's a Dexter prequel that comes out, so well.
Speaker 2: I hope I did enough of my acting in this.
Speaker 3: Have this fucking hilarious twelve minute mini movie where you, oh it was bro. We were driving over here watching it and like we laughed out loud like three times. You had the one liners like when you get a doctor dre You're like, you know, I don't like that shit, but you guys are like in this fucking movie, like, uh, I guess would you say mercy killing killing bad people?
Speaker 2: We hit men that make hits, hit men.
Speaker 3: That make hits. It was a nice metaphor, but it was very Dexter.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, because we take care of the bad guys, so to speak. You know, as kids, we always watched the Spider Man, Superman fight crime and.
Speaker 3: Like y'all smoke a fucking pedophile like off the rip.
Speaker 2: Yees see, we fight crime in a different way, you know, we do things that the Lord don't do.
Speaker 3: How fun was that? And like who who? Like you had some one liners in there that were fucking hilarious, Like you just over here smoking and shit and you're like, I'm trying to fix it. Spell.
Speaker 1: Well, that's about when me and Dre get together and we find a great director like Dave Myers who really understands us.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: That was Dave Meyers director. She's like one of the greatest video directors. It felt like some shit like when I was like, it felt like some guilty, conscious shit planning.
Speaker 1: So when we all get together, we don't have no problem with being funny and being hard at the same time because we know what people love from us. Like me and Dre always know that people love us when we make records together and we rap back and forth. But when we ever in something cinematically, they love when we had odds, they loved.
Speaker 2: When like when we did the wash, the wash was so good.
Speaker 1: Come on one nigga, like just that the banter between me and him, I'm like this person that person.
Speaker 2: But we always love each other.
Speaker 1: But we always have arguments, misunderstandings and disagreements that are funny.
Speaker 2: They're never too serious. It's like, man, they don't really like each other. Be like, oh, that shit was funny as a motherfucker.
Speaker 3: And then at the end the dude with the eminem Jordan's and then fifty cent shit, You're like, You're like, yes, those are four thousand dollars, forty dollars take that and then and then it ends with fifty cents drops.
Speaker 1: Great Doctor Dred bad motherfuck ain'ty did he write that Doctor Dred is a bad motherfucker?
Speaker 2: Man, I'm trying to tell y'all.
Speaker 1: Man, he when it comes to him and Snoop Dogg, he always make me look the best.
Speaker 2: He make me sound the best.
Speaker 1: Like it looked like all the lines and all this shits look like, man that Nigga snooped up.
Speaker 2: But this is his mind knowing this is what you're supposed to see.
Speaker 1: You gotta write a movie for y'all. Thank you say it loud please. I told him that. I called him last night because he was like, we do if we do a movie, we need uh to get acting coaches for And I'm like, Nigga, I don't need no motherfucking acting coach.
Speaker 2: Nigga, I'm in the game.
Speaker 3: You just got to play yourself.
Speaker 2: Stupid No.
Speaker 1: But then he was like he this how dope he is. We do need acting coaching because these are going to be roles that no one has ever thought of. Oh so he thinks like that, he ain't thinking about like what you see right now. On that twelve minute movie. We wouldn't even extend that. We would go somewhere else.
Speaker 3: When's the last time you watched Bones.
Speaker 2: Jimmy, motherfucking Bone. I had that show on VHS about three years ago. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just wonder because like that was like your first time, and I'm not gonna lie it wasn't a great movie.
Speaker 2: To me, it was. Let me tell you why it was great.
Speaker 3: It's like it was like a hood classic.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you why it was great.
Speaker 1: I got to act with Pam Grigg huh oh yeah for three months in Canada, and then I got to work with Ricky Harris. So the cast, Clifton Pile. Yeah, the cast helped me to become a better actor. Like everything is steps and stages.
Speaker 3: Like it Bones was before Baby Boy, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: So when you're challenge with working with great actors and a great cinematographer. Ernest Dickerson directed that movie. Who did Juice, did all the Spike Lee shit. He was a cinematographer. So working with those quality of people helped me to take my shit serious because before that I was just playing snoop. Though I would just go do a regular role and just do some basic shit. After that, my roles began to take on like more depth, and I got serious about learning my lines and doing characters that were not me that was so distant from me that you would believe that I was actually that Personalso, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, yeah, you're like one of the all time movie assholes. And baby Boy for sure.
Speaker 2: No right would you let me watch your kids.
Speaker 3: If it's the Snooping Underdogs? Sure, I don't know about baby.
Speaker 2: The underdog Snoop and the baby boy Snoop.
Speaker 3: It's like if the baby boy Snoop evolved, grew up and like got a shit together.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's what he is.
Speaker 1: He didn't move out of Event's house and now coaching little league football talking shit for sure.
Speaker 3: Man, Well look, I appreciate you for sitting down with me. Man, Yo album is dope. Can't wait to see what else you got up to sleeve, Snoop. This is my bucket list interview. I've always said the one interview, Snoop, so.
Speaker 2: Stretch that off your bucket list, bootleg kids.
Speaker 3: I hope it's not the last one.
Speaker 1: Matte say no bootleg interview either. It's a real motherfucking interview.
Speaker 3: Five hundred episode.
Speaker 2: That's why I say it ain't bootleg, it's real, My guy Snoop Dogg.
Speaker 3: Appreciate you, brother, Appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Loved one Fi