Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm Tom Keene, along with Jonathan Farrow and Lisa Abramowitz. Join us each day for insight from the best an economics, geopolitics, finance and investment. Subscribe to Bloomberg Surveillance on demand on Apple, Spotify and anywhere you get your podcasts, and always on Bloomberg dot Com, the Bloomberg Terminal, and the Bloomberg Business App. They were different out at UCLA. And there was a guy who died at eighty eight last year, Excellanovud, who was a hero in my house. And as someone once said to me, he was the marine coming out of the trenches. Andrew Hollenhorst has been the marine in this odd on FED cycle. You have taken shrapnel for your high yield call.
Speaker 1: People are like.
Speaker 2: Not and yet you reaffirm the FED higher this morning, don't you.
Speaker 3: I think if you just look at this economic day, the MIC's over here.
Speaker 1: Come on, all right, I'm starting the first time on the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks to If you look at the economic data, I mean, it just keeps coming in showing a tight labor market. We keep getting these numbers strong spending. I agree with Mike, I don't think we're going to get five to six percent GDP this quarter, but we're probably going to get at least two percent GDP and maybe three percent GDP growth. And I think you did hear some of that coming out of Jackson Hole. You look at the core inflation numbers, they've slowed for a couple months. That's good news. Headline inflation has slowed, so there is some good news in terms of price pressure. That's a little bit more subdued now. But when you look at this economy, tight labor market, it's going to drive wages.
Speaker 1: Wages are going to drive harder.
Speaker 2: Your academics and frankly it goes to Catherine Mann now at the Bank of England as well, is a real humility about what we don't know. Olivier Blanchard calls it other factors. What are the other factors that the low yield people, the rate cut people get wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I think the other factors that we have at play here in the US economy includes some of the domestic strength that I was talking about, which is not just the tight labor market, but also the tight housing market. And this is an odd one, and I think you described the cycle as being odd, and it certainly is. Usually you would think mortgage rates move higher, we get to slow down in housing, and we get to slow down in house prices, and that happened. But the issue we have now is supply has actually become more constrained in the housing sector than demand. So those households that have an existing home that are paying a three percent mortgage rate, not a lot of incentive to put that home on the market. So that's applies being really constrained. Case Shiller Price index came out this week. We're up again close to double digit percentage increases on an annualized basis, and that's just not going to be consistent with two percent inflation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's just no inventory in the existing home market at all, is in the new market, which is why you're seeing that bycation and housing. Just on the subject of demand outside of housing, and coming back to the data of this morning, with personal spending up eight tenths of one percent at the same time that personal income actually grew less than expected, how much longer realistically could the US consumer live above their means If we're talking about a savings pile that has dwindled, which is what was helping fuel this in the first place. And your income not growing as fast wea is barely keeping up with inflation. Isn't the spending going to have to come to a halt at some point?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and don't forget student loan repayments restarted yeah October. Yeah, so there are some headwinds that the consumer is facing here. I think what has happened, though, is we had such an extended period of low interest rates, such an extended period of ample liquidity. You saw credit card debt go down significantly during the pandemic, and now those levels have built back up. Now you're seeing delinquency rates that are getting back to more normal delinquency rates that we would expect and kind of a normally functioning economy. To your point, as the Fed leaves rates higher, we're going to see more tightening of credit. That's going to be a head wind for consumers eventually that will slow the economy. We still think we could see a significant economic slowdown in twenty twenty four, perhaps a recession in twenty twenty four. But you have to take seriously the data that are coming in, and we still see this really strong spending. Like you point, out eight tenths of a percentage point up on personal spending. I mean, it's just a really strong consumer right now.
Speaker 4: So if we do get that recession in twenty twenty four, but you still don't get two percent inflation, is the Federal Reserve going to tolerate the pain ultimately? Do you think?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 3: That's a really tough scenario for the Fed. I think if you get a significant enough slow down, you will see some deflationary pressure. But we could have a period of time, and maybe it's going to be an extended period of time where you see the economy slowing, and to some extent, you see this with the credit that is tightening already. Right we have some signs that things are going to slow down eventually. If inflation was stably at two percent, then the Fed might be a lot more comfortable thinking about cutting rates. I think what we heard from Chair Powell last week at Jackson Hole was that although they'll be attentive to both growth and inflation right now, they really do have to concentrate on those upside risks to inflation. That's where you're coming from. We still have various measures of col or underlying inflation that are running too high, and that means that there could be a period of time when you see somewhat weaker growth data, but the FED is still holding rates higher.
Speaker 2: Richard Clarita is identified with this thing DSGE. All you need to know on a Labor Day Thursday is we're not going to do the math either.
Speaker 1: I can't do the math. It's that fancy.
Speaker 2: But the bottom line is I mentioned actually on of it earlier, that article from years ago beyond DSG models, where he and a team really go after the math, the math certitude, the mathiness of the Andrew Hollenhorst world. Do we have operative models right now? Do we in God's name know what we're doing?
Speaker 3: So I think that is one of the big challenges here. What is the theoretical framework that we're using to assess the economy and to assess monetary policy. And you heard Powell point to that uncertainty in his comments there's a non economist as a non economist, Yeah, and so he talked about this, you're navigating according to the stars under a cloudy sky. And what does he mean by the star the underlying neutral rate of interest that would neither be restrictive nor stimulative. The underlying natural rate of unemployment. These are important theoretical concepts, but we really don't have a good way of evaluating them in real time. We don't know where they are, so it is going to be this kind of responding to the data just comes back to data dependency. If you don't have a strong theoretical framework, then you follow the data.
Speaker 4: Yeah, setting monetary policy can be a tricky business in an environment like this one. Can I just quickly ask you about fiscal policy as well, because we hear a lot about we have not yet seen things like the Chips Act, Inflation Reduction Act that actually being realized in the economy and making a difference. At what point does what theoretically could be a driver actually become a drive because the FED might have to respond to those new injections. How are you thinking about that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a great point. We're starting to see some things in the data that are at least suggestive. Then maybe you're seeing some of this showing up. We did see stronger investment in manufacturing. Maybe that's related to the Chips Act. But you're right, these things are going to take a long time to actually play out. Is going to take time for that money to come into the economy. At the end of the day, the FED is not going to kind of look at fiscal policy and then try to directly offset fiscal policy with monetary policy. Not their business, exactly. The FED doesn't want to be in that business. So what the FED is going to do is just look at the data. Look at the data like we got today. If inflation stays cooler, then that's great news, and that's more reason to think that the FED can be a little bit more dubbish here. I think they're pretty comfortable with the level of policy rates. We still think they're probably going to hike one more time in November, but that's probably going to be the end of the cycle. And then it really comes back to this question of when do they make that first cut.
Speaker 1: Andrew honor.
Speaker 5: John stelfhis chief Investment Strategies to Oppenheimer Asset Management Joints us Now, John, wonderful to have a bull on the program. Let's talk about why you're still so bullish and reflect on the economic take of the week, sir, if we can. There is a feeling that bad news is somewhat good news. Is there a tipping point when bad news just becomes bad news.
Speaker 6: Well, thanks for having me on the show. John, It's always great to be on surveillance. Have to say, you know, when we look at.
Speaker 7: It, things are to continue to get better, offsetting negativity.
Speaker 6: That's why bad Nudes has been good news.
Speaker 7: In essence, we're seeing the economy is genuinely slowing some, but it's not falling off the cliff, whether it's the consumer, whether it's jobs, whether it's it's our Q two earnings, even though you had to drop in earnings for the S and P five hundred least. I looked at my Bloomberg a few minutes ago, but negative six percent on the quarter. It's three sectors have the negative earnings growth. Y're double digit and its energy, materials, and healthcare. It's not tech or consumer discretionary or industrial.
Speaker 2: John, you've been one of the great bulls. You've been one of the great great bulls. Where are you right now? For four thousand and one, forty nine hundred for the end of the year remains our target.
Speaker 7: We did lower our projection to what earnings will look like for this year from two thirty down to two twenty, but overall we're looking more support to the S and p.
Speaker 6: Five hundred to remain remarkably strong.
Speaker 2: What do you need to do to get to five thousand? I mean, I got to make some news here today. What do you need to do to up that the five thousand time?
Speaker 8: You're egging me on, you know, I think we need to do to have some remarkable news related to the feds achievements against inflation and a real clear signal that it's the end of the cycle with a pause, not because the economy is falling apart, but rather than it's achieved its goal.
Speaker 6: I don't think that happens this year. I think that happens twenty twenty four.
Speaker 4: Well, And in twenty twenty four is when this market increasingly and earlier is expecting the FED to start cutting rates. So if we do get to forty nine hundred or potentially even five thousand, John, can we stay up there? If the reason they're cutting is because things have turned south and the tightening has taken perhaps more effect than they would have wanted to if they overshoot.
Speaker 7: Well, I think the key word there, the awkward word, is if things have turned south. It's if things have basically gone so that we really are are entering a period of sustainable economic growth at a at a slow or moderate case, I don't think that we'll be seen the FED cut drastically, and this might be one of those, just because when we look at it, the inflation is caused by overstimulation and fiscal policies. What we look at we think of two administrations, and they did that.
Speaker 6: They were concerned.
Speaker 7: About the effects of COVID on the economy, and likely all that stimulation is what is enabling us to get through this period of a FED fund's hip cycle as well as we are. So we think at this point, we think this is it continues to be a workout market, and a workout market is always has considerable uncertainty to it in terms of its outcome. But we wouldn't bet against the American consumer, and we wouldn't bet against American business, the American economy.
Speaker 6: We think we're.
Speaker 7: The sunlight is at the end of the tunnel, not an oncoming locomotive.
Speaker 5: Well, John's hope that's the case. The colodiale will for the same way he said the consumer. Don't bet against the American consumer. Plenty of retailers have flaked up plenty of issues over the last couple of weeks. What you read into that.
Speaker 7: Most certainly, and yet consumer discretionary as the sector is doing very well. I think it reflects the services end of the economy versus the goods. A lot of that is related to at this period in the cycle and still the experiential adventure for the consumer.
Speaker 6: In many ways the consumer has slowed.
Speaker 7: And then if you look at the individual retailers, it really has to do it. Who is balancing e commerce and bricks and mortar or ecarmas and some kind of touch with their consumer and meeting the consumers.
Speaker 6: And so you know that's John.
Speaker 2: What do you do with big Tech? I mean, let's say I own shares have got a big gain. I mean, do you have a a rationalization of owning those big seven stocks where you just take a terminal value three years, five years, hold your nose and say let's go.
Speaker 6: I think you know it's not quite hold hold your nose.
Speaker 7: It's take a look at look at the companies and consider what businesses they have that are deeply embedded in the lives and both the consumer as well as in business.
Speaker 6: And amongst those Big seven.
Speaker 7: It's a fairly recurring trend that you see or a trend that keeps rolling forward in an upward direction. They remain companies that are very deeply embedded in our lives, both as consumers and as business people, and so revenue growth is likely to continue. It'll ebb and flow at different points that you know, it's trees don't grow to the sky at all, but a general.
Speaker 6: Trend looks like this is parallel.
Speaker 7: To where the automobile was in the early twentieth century after Ford had, you know, essentially improved.
Speaker 6: The manufacturing process to.
Speaker 7: Increase the ability of the automobile in terms of quality and lower the price.
Speaker 6: Technology easily accessible.
Speaker 7: That makes it deeply embedded in our lives, and it's profitable.
Speaker 4: So, John, what role does that small group of stocks play in the four hundred point gap between where we are now and where you think we're going to get in forty nine hundred. Considering that they have been the biggest point contributors to the games we've seen this year, can they continue to provide that leadership?
Speaker 7: Well, you know, I think in essence, when we look at it, you've got to realize that technology is not unto itself. Rather, it contributes to all eleven sectors. So within the eleven sectors. I mean, we own some industrial stocks. I can't mention the name. The firm doesn't allow me to pitch one. Got that, but but but we own stocks in the industrial sector, in consumer discretionary, uh and uh, within within the space of other sectors that have done remarkably well.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 6: And it just has to do with UH.
Speaker 7: It's it's a combination of alpha generation as well as as playing the broader sectors.
Speaker 5: John, I get you can't do single names, but can you just describe in great detail what's within consumer discretionary, given that it's such a broad space within.
Speaker 7: Consumer discretionary, you know, it has to do again with leisure stocks. It has to do with stocks related to gaming to travel, has to do with the the electrification of the automobile and the process of that transition that's reflected within all kinds of products that are sold in stores.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 7: And it also has to do there's there's a certain element here coming up where there is a back to the office trend that is not back to the office like we used to be, but certainly where people are coming out of the caves, going back to going back to a more normalized environment where they show up at the office three days a week.
Speaker 5: Hey, John, get to hear from you as it wise. John stelf Is of Oppenheimen.
Speaker 2: Cameron Dawson joining a cio at Red Bull Formula one Racing, joins us this morning. Thank you so much for your patience with Max for stepping greatly appreciate it. You've got one single sentence and you go right to the heart of it. September is the worst month, and yet you're hardwired optimistic.
Speaker 1: You got to be in the market.
Speaker 2: Do you go to cash in September?
Speaker 9: No, because September being the worst month is just because it's below average returns. It's not necessarily that it's all going to employ. And even the correction that we had in August was below average, meaning it was so small in its magnitudes, so it doesn't really warrant making big portfolio changes. I think at the end of the day, this correction has not been about growth, and in fact, we've actually seen EPs growth estimates going up in recent weeks, and I think that's one of the reasons for these shorter, shallow corrections. It's when the revision cycle turns down that you should be more concerned of a deeper correction.
Speaker 5: Ian lingn Be months ago, we just played the clip he said, screaming by ten years. It's actually my words that I put in his math, but we agreed with it. Do you agree it's a screaming by.
Speaker 9: Well, if the ten years are screaming by, then credit is a screaming cell, and equities, at least the riskiest parts of equities would be a screaming cell. Because we think that for the tenure to go back to three percent, you would actually have to see much weaker economic environment. You'd need to see the whites of the eyes of a recession, and that likely means then that those economic or those earning productions for twenty twenty four, which have about double digit growth are way too high. So if the tenure goes back to three percent, we think it would be bad for risk assets.
Speaker 4: Do you see that recession not wives of the eyes?
Speaker 9: No, not yet, though you know there's all this discussion about GDP versus GDI and if GDP will catch down and really what is the underlying growth rate. But for right now, we don't see enough evidence that a recession is emminent, and there's still our calls that will enter one in the fourth quarter. We think if we do have one, it's much more of a twenty twenty four scenario, which just means that it's not being priced in yet.
Speaker 4: If we don't have one, though, couldn't that also be bad news if the landing is too soft, couldn't that mean the FED has to do more and then eventually has to force it.
Speaker 9: Anyway, Yeah, it is very peculiar because that is actually what's happened in twenty twenty three. The Fed has had to do more than what was projected. The bond market has had to price in more hikes less cuts. You've seen yields go up. Yields since or the pricing of the December twenty twenty three FED rate has gone up one hundred seventy basis points since the March low. Since that time, the Nasdaq PE multiple is up thirty six percent. So I don't know going forward if the path of the FED matters as much for equity valuations as it did, let's say in twenty one or twenty two.
Speaker 2: We talked a few days ago about the cost of real estate renting, the struggle for a huge body of America to find a down payment for real estate We had a huge response on that discussion. Do you advocate margin here within this bull market? This question doesn't come up enough. I think everybody's out there selling the idea of leverage up margin, options, margin, future's margin, margin margin. Do you advocate using margin within the growth sphere?
Speaker 9: Well, margin is a heck of a lot more expensive than it was just a few years ago, given rates are higher, So you have to factor that into the equation. We have seen. You can see measures in finrid data about the usage of margin debt and that's come off of the twenty twenty win peaks, which is not surprising. But the real question is how much of that is being replaced by options, which are a form of margins roughly, and so you've seen so much option activities, surging call options, through zero data expiration options. So margin is always something that you have to play with very very carefully because it, of course can work against you very quickly.
Speaker 5: Memories sometimes that can go back.
Speaker 1: Cameras just nailed them.
Speaker 5: Can we talk about a different kind of margin? Profit margins? At Dollar General, they've come out and basically said earnings are going to tumble as much as thirty four percent on a share basis during the current fiscal year. It's pretty brutal stuff. They're not alone. Are you taking what the retailers are saying seriously? Is this more important than what the hard data is tanagus right now, which is retail consumption is better than good.
Speaker 9: Well, there's some retailers that have pricing power and some that don't. And I think that Dollar General probably falls into that category where the elasticity of the demand of their customers is much different than the higher end retail where they can continue to push price, they can continue to pass on those higher costs to their customers. So the areas where you don't have pricing powers where you're seeing the margin pressure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And of course, when we're talking about the different areas within discretionary in pricing power, travel airlines, they've been able to exercise pricing power in such a material ways we've seen demand recover out of the pandemic. And John you earlier this week pointed to when we got the consumer confidence data, which was weaker, people were still willing to.
Speaker 5: Travel, planning vacations, put it on their credit card. Now, I don't know whether to believe that dates or not. I'm wondering whether They just saw Instagram posts and were like, I'm planning one too, right. I wonder how that data is put together. We're going to see that vacation boom continue.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the fomo is real. And there's all this talk about all of the summer that we've had with the concerts, the hot girls summer. If that's coming to an end. I think at the end of the day, the question going forward is can the consumer continue to live beyond means. We've seen credit usage go up, but it's that savings rate that's coming down, and in the savings balance that has been whittled down.
Speaker 1: Did you see how chill just.
Speaker 2: Came into our offices here at seven point thirty one. I saw hollendhorse walk by Andrea.
Speaker 1: It's like the black Colt Loud of high interest rates.
Speaker 5: Because the lights on in the corner.
Speaker 2: The room when Hollendhorst shows up. If we get an Andrew Hollenhorst world of higher interest rates, what does that do to your stock portfolio?
Speaker 9: Well, I think it does increasingly create a challenge. But as we just just talked about, is that we have seen this divergence of yields and growth valuations. For example, in the past, we would say that if yields continue to climb higher, we should be concerned that growth valuations trading up near twenty twenty one highs would not be sustainable. Now, if yields are higher because growth is better, inflation's higher, that is good for the earning side of the scenario, but then you get that offset from valuation.
Speaker 5: The aerostour has been the most mainingful electric experience of my life so far. I'm I of a joy to Tandy that will be coming to the big screen soon starting October thirteenth, to experience the concert, film and theaters tom in North America?
Speaker 10: Do you like that?
Speaker 4: This is Taylor Swift?
Speaker 5: John? I need definitely is a direct?
Speaker 2: Do I need a friendship bracelet?
Speaker 5: What's a friendship something?
Speaker 1: Have you seen this, Cameron? Have you seen miss Swifts to.
Speaker 5: Buy them on beaches?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 9: No, I'm we're looking.
Speaker 2: At Paris tickets. Paris tickets in May of next year. A decent seats nine hundred bucks and somewhere back near Lyon is seven hundred dollars.
Speaker 5: Cameron, Thank you, Cameron Dawson. New watch.
Speaker 2: Someone is esoteric and wonderful as maxt for staff and Sean Patrick Byner is in frankfort here any no Swiss banking. He's worked within the banking racket and provides journalistic services to Bloomberg News. Were you surprised by these announcements? John, I mean, come on, you buy the bank. It's a shotgun marriage, you know how that's funny accounting and all that. Am I supposed to be surprised at twenty nine billion dollar statistic?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 10: Absolutely not.
Speaker 11: That's accounting, Shenanig, And we all know that they bought credits with on the cheap when it comes to the pure purchase price, and there are a lot of risks that associated with the years of the twenty nine billion number is not not very surprising, but what you can be surprised about a little bit, or at least I was, and I feel like some market participants as well. It's like how firm the management of UBS already is in their idea and their vision on how they want the merger to play out.
Speaker 10: That's very unusual. As you said, it was a shotgun marriage.
Speaker 11: It was just barely six months ago, and I feel like they're giving us really good content and good ideas on how they want to shape up this merger where they want the bank to position, And that's a very surprising thing to me that they're able to do this.
Speaker 2: When you're popping a twenty euro bowl of soup and brasserie lip, you people are gossiping about who from Credit Suite survived? Did many people from Credit SUITEE survive?
Speaker 10: Well, for the time being, that is still the case.
Speaker 11: I mean, we heard that they are cutting three thousand jobs in in Switzerland, and as you mentioned before, that's probably not the end of the of the of the number here and we will get something much much higher, and they will like feed this to the market and to the politicians, to the general public, especially step by step, not to lose their the cover for the merger or to create any any storm that they don't want. On the other hand, I also feel like while they're giving us a good idea on where they want the bank to be any position and how they want to move forward, is that they haven't figured out all the details. And we've heard the CEO today that's saying he is surprised by how many good additional business credits is bringing in that is fitting into the overall picture. So I think like they have not fully figured out like where do we want to keep the talent and where do we have like the real oval app that we need to get rid of.
Speaker 4: So there's clearly still work left to be done. What timeline realistically are we looking at? How much longer is this going to take?
Speaker 11: Well, it's still going to take years, that's that's for sure. But again as is doing the right thing here in terms of that they are giving us like step by step and on every meeting they are speaking, they're giving us something to deal with and to see like in which direction the bank is heading the whole merger until we get like the final picture is probably still going to be next year or even like twenty twenty five, until they have figured everything out. But they promise they give us more details on the fourth quarter earnings, which will be somewhere in January or February of next year. So that's the next milestone to watch. And at the end of the analyst coll search a multi, the CEO also said like there's plenty of time to speak to each other in case there are any questions until the third quarter earnings. So again they understand that the market is desperate for information and wants to see like every new development what they're doing, and they have understood this, and I'm pretty sure they will if they have good news, they will feed this to us step by step in as early as possible.
Speaker 4: If they have good news, Where are the potential opportunities for bad news? What are the biggest risks here?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Yeah, absolutely, and there are plenty.
Speaker 11: And it was funny again the CEO saying on the call that they are are not naive and they are not like painting a blue sky scenario here.
Speaker 10: There are obstacles along the way.
Speaker 11: One is like with the risk weighted assets that they have now outsourced into the so called noncre and legacy unit, that's fifty five billion dollars, So that's a lot of stuff that can potentially blow up.
Speaker 10: They said it won't, but you never know.
Speaker 11: The other thing is like they still don't know how the clients will behave It's looking pretty solid right now in terms of clients coming back to the combined lender, but we need at least like two or three more quarters to see if, like if this trend is sustained. And also like they were very short on details on telling us like how do you want to win back the clients, how do you want to align your business in details in certain areas. Of course it's a bit much to ask, again just six months since the merger was announced, but a little bit more details here would be helpful. And there are still like some areas where they could surprise.
Speaker 1: Now that they're one. Who's their arch competitor?
Speaker 2: I mean, obviously I'm going to say Deutsche Bank, but inform me who are they competing against other Swiss banks I don't know, or Deutsche Bank or JP Morgan.
Speaker 1: Who's you bees competing against?
Speaker 11: That's a very good question. I mean, like they have nobody like on the same level here in Europe. But of course you have a lot of niche players or small wealth management players will try to get a share and who will try to benefit of that client behavior where clients lost certainly not going to have like a concentration risk from their assets at credits with and ubs. So I guess like everybody will try to get a big cake here. But I was just like thinking about this for a broader story, like every European bank, maybe you want to watch this merger very closely because you suddenly see even though it was forced, it somehow seems to work. And you have now a major, major bank here with like five trillion dollars of assets under management, and you need to compete against them. So the question is, like, for all the other big players out there, do you want to consider a merger maybe as well to get to the same scale, because otherwise competing against ubs in terms of wealth management at least seems to be a very hard and upward battle.
Speaker 5: I would say, yeah, isn't this unique though? Didn't they get a dance partner essentially for free?
Speaker 11: Well, I mean, yeah, you could come to that conclusion, I would say, of course. I mean the price was very cheap. But again, like there are still risks associated with this merger. It's not a done deal yet. It's looking pretty well for the time being. But again you could see, like the final quarter results that we had from credits Is today had a ten billion dollar loss in it, sorry, ten billion Swiss Franks loss in it. So there's still like a huge burden that they now have on the balance sheet. Again, there are fifty five billion dollars in this non core unit that they need to run down, and again they still don't know how clients will behave.
Speaker 10: So it's looking good right now. They're doing the right things.
Speaker 11: But this is not in dry papers now and there could still go something wrong. So I would say like telling them this was for free and of course this is going well.
Speaker 10: Is too short?
Speaker 5: Well said then? Patrick? Thank you, said them, Patrick Bounder. I've blown back on evs Max with Stappan of Red Bull Racing Joint us right now. Max, good morning buddy. It's great to catch up with you, sir. Nine wins in a row just phenomenal. You're trying to make it ten at Monster. How special would that be?
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean, of course it's something that I never even you know, told about that that is even possible. Right, But now that we have one nine in a row, tying the record, of course you want more, and I think we have a we have a good opportunity. But if on reasons are never straightforward, a lot of things that can can happen. But yeah, I'm excited, of course for the weekend.
Speaker 10: Max.
Speaker 5: Let's go back a couple of decades. Tell me back to the days when you're in a go car and you've got to be around people like Michael Schumacher and your father for that matter as well. Is that where this hunger desire comes from to dominate even after you get win after win.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it's.
Speaker 12: I mean, of course you need you you you really want it from a young age. But I think also the way I grew up, you know, having the experience with my dad by my side. Yeah, for sure, from a at a young age, I think you you know, get prepared in a in a different way, I guess. And yeah, for me, it's never good enough, you know, even you try to, you know, look for the little details that can go better. I mean, for sure, this year so far I think has been amazing, but yeah, I will never be satisfied at the end of the day.
Speaker 5: Max, Tom and I were talking about Marco van Bastard retiring from football at twenty eight, and I always hear people talk about you. They say things like he's going to get bored, he's going to get bored by this or potentially step away. Do the records that Shu Mack has set and they worth sticking around for you, Max, is that's something that drives you.
Speaker 12: Like I never really targeted like records. I of course really enjoy what I'm doing now and for me at the moment is the opposite. This for me is not boring. This is really exciting. Like I'm always very motivated to get to the track. I think it's more when you're not winning anymore, and there is also no real plan in place or a few where you see yourself winning again, then probably you get bored. But I think retiring at twenty eight for me is probably a bit too soon.
Speaker 2: Max John Faraoh is steeped in all that you do. He grew up in England and lives Formula one. I'm your ugly American. I'm new to this. I'm the one you need at Las Vegas, you needed Austin, Miami, wherever. And in reading about this, and I go to the great journalist Peter Windsor on this, he says, you do corners and k turns like nobody. He talks of silverstone in the three turns of Maggots and Becketts.
Speaker 1: How do you approach the tight.
Speaker 2: Turns of Formula one? Peter Windsor says, that's the difference.
Speaker 12: I think, you know, everyone has their own driving style, but also I think what is key in our sport is that you're able to adapt to whatever is needed. So you know, every year we have a new car, different looking car, and every single car drives a bit differently, and I think, yeah, you always have to adapt and learn and try to grow, try to be different, try to really get the most out of the car. And if the car is driven the fastest way in a different way than what you're used to, you have to try and adjust to that.
Speaker 2: Do you wish for a smaller, lighter.
Speaker 12: Car, Of course that would be ideal, but you also have to be realistic. I think with the safety standards that are always improving every single year, that is not always possible to go lighter. But I'm sure you know we are looking into the future regulations as well to try and make it better.
Speaker 5: Maxial Glasses. Thinking about the commercial stuff, we caught up with Christian Horner. It's great to talk to Christian a month or so ago, and we were talking about the race Canada and how many races are now in new places like in the United States, like in Vegas. For a man like yourself, can you compare say a Monza to a Miami a Las Vegas and mactually get excited about it, when for some people the purists might complain about this. Just be at a commercial event, moving away from the tradition, you know, race car racing and places like Monta and Silverstone.
Speaker 12: Well, the beautiful thing is is that we have a lot of different Grand Prix still, and I think it would be very boring if they're all the same, right, And yes, I am very aware that you know, we shouldn't go to all the let's say, the commercial places, but I think also Las Vegas gives you a unique opportunity and then time will tell you know if it's the right way to go or not. But for sure, from my side, you know, I like the pure racetres. I think an F one car as well, it really comes alive on the proper racetres, like Monza, like Spa, like Silverstone. So for sure, you know we need to keep these kind of tracks on the calendar.
Speaker 5: Max. They're always trying to rework the format. When a car a team goes through a period of dominance. I remember when it just used to be qualifying thirty minutes, fastest driver, fastest car. They get polled and they try to make qualifying more interesting. Do you think tweaking the format with sprint racing in one weekend not the other? Is that something that frustrates she was a driver.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I'm not really excited by these things because I think when something works really well, why do you need to try and tweak it? And yeah, this is I think a constant discussion and for sure that some things got well, some don't. But yeah, for me, trying to keep it like it is, you know, probably is the best thing forward because I always thought the qualifying format and you know, before you get into the single race, I think is very exciting.
Speaker 1: Max. I agree with you.
Speaker 2: I'm a complete hack at this, but I totally agree with you. The sprint thing is ridiculous. I just don't understand it. I love the qualification thing the day before. I love to tune into that.
Speaker 1: Max.
Speaker 2: For step, and are you in a place is completely dominant in the sports, involving all the money and the egos. Where can you control the future of who your teammate is? I understand there's autosport gossip in all that, but are you in a position now, Max where you can dictate, discuss or say who a future your teammate will be?
Speaker 6: Well, this is always up to the bosses and the team.
Speaker 12: I mean, of course, I'm a team member now for a long time, and of course things. You know, you talk about stuff, but I'm not the one who is telling them what to do or deciding things. At the end of the day, I need to focus on my job and try and drive as quick as I can every single weekend.
Speaker 5: We do a good job at that, Max, A good job of that, but particularly this season, Max, how close are you with Checko?
Speaker 12: Yeah, we are very close. Honestly, I think we are very similar in a way. Also how we're approaching our life outside of Formula one. And you know, he's a real family person. Of course he has his kids as well, and yeah, I'm pretty similar.
Speaker 10: I think it's good to.
Speaker 12: Try and you know, sometimes switch off and just you know, not think about Formula one. And I think that's where we can really relate.
Speaker 5: You know, what people are like. They like to stir up gossip and tell stories. And Max, you've been reluctant to get involved in the Netflix series, which has been massive here Stateside. Max, what's behind that reluctance? Why don't you like doing those things so much?
Speaker 12: I mean, I think at one point, you know, certain things are also a bit more private. Privacy for me is very important, and you know, I like things to be portrayed like they actually are and not with a lot of let's say spice to it. But you know every year now, I mean we had a good chat every year.
Speaker 6: I do.
Speaker 12: I do have an interview and I explain my side of the story, and I think that's important. I know how Netflix is in a way, of course to try and attract new fans, but of course you had it's important also to to really see the reality of the sport.
Speaker 1: John, I'll let you ask.
Speaker 2: I mean, we're in London, we come back, and that gives us just enough time to go to Las Vegas. I want to November, but you know, if Max can pull some strings for us, I think possibly we could be all Las Vegas with Red Bull.
Speaker 5: You want to ask him yourself, I'd let you please. Max would prefers to ask Christian Horner and we'll ask christin a little bit later.
Speaker 2: Max.
Speaker 5: I wanted to squeeze this in. I wanted your side of the story. I don't want to talk about the last race. I want to go back to Austria. Final lap of the Grand Prix. You have the opportunity to set the fastest lap. You make the call to make a pit to put on fresh tires and go around and set the fastest lab for a single point. Max. From your perspective, walk me through the thinking. There is that something you've planned ahead of the race. Is that something you think about in the moment And where does that confidence, that conviction come from to go against the team who would like you to stay out and just make the call yourself. I can do it. I know I can do it. I've got the control, the ability to perform. Where does that come from?
Speaker 2: Max?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 12: I mean I always tried to maximize everything I can, and you know, I saw the opportunity for the extra points, so I was like, well why not. Of course, there's always a bit of a risk with these kind of things, but at the other hand, no risk, no fun, right, So that's what was also going through by am my head at the time.
Speaker 5: Max. Good luck for race weekend during the team fantastically catch up with you, sir, Max for stepping a red bull racing.
Speaker 2: Subscribe to the Bloomberg Surveillance podcast on Apple, Spotify and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live every weekday starting at seven am Eastern. I'm Bloomberg dot Com. The iHeartRadio app Tune in and the Bloomberg Business App. You can watch us live on Bloomberg Television and always.
Speaker 1: I'm the Bloomberg Terminal. Thanks for listening. I'm Tom Keen, and this is Bloomberg