Speaker 1: Basketball is heating up with big plays and even bigger wins, and we've teamed up with DraftKings to get you in on the action.
Speaker 2: DraftKings just dropped a brand new way to play daily fantasy sports with Pick six. Right now, all new customers can make their first pick, get up to fifty dollars back and pick six credits after playing just five dollars and your first pick set.
Speaker 1: That's right, you just have to play five dollars and you'll get back fifty dollars and pick six credits. Getting started is simple. Download the DraftKings Pick six app and sign up using cod Smoke.
Speaker 2: Track your lineup and compete against others for a shot at huge cash prizes. Downold the Draftkinks Pick six app now and sign up using promo cod Smoke. That's cold smoke only at Draftkinks Pick six. The crown is yours.
Speaker 1: Welcome back, all the Smoke, All Star Indiana were back in your back in your old stumping ground. They still got love for you out here. They got a lot of love from before we get started. I'm gonna crack over this Core Coops.
Speaker 3: Light hey, because it's made the chill.
Speaker 1: It's early, but it's made the chill.
Speaker 3: Hey, and you know it's made the chill because the mountains on their turn blue Jack.
Speaker 1: You know it's eight o'clock in California. Hey, it's never too early to start.
Speaker 3: It's happy hour somewhere. We got a good one today, Joe.
Speaker 1: I got a chance to sit down with this young man right before he came in the league. Jeolani had plugged it, and I was just fascinated off the rip about his i Q and the way he approached the game. And obviously his father had a nice run in the league. But Son came through and crushed the buildings. Let's welcome to the show, Jayson Brunson, Yes, sir, all Star, Yes sir.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't even like to say underdog because I don't really feel like you've been. But I think at times overlooked. Is that safe to say that people kind of overlooked you? And and I really think you're making your mark now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, i'd say, no matter what stage of my my carib in the high school college league, always in somewhat overlooked at some point. But I don't really I use that. I mean, I guess I used this feel a little bit, but like it is what it is. I know that guy. I start at the bottom of the total polly every time I get to a new place, and it's got to work my way back up.
Speaker 1: So career numbers, congratulations on your first All Star appearance. You got twenty seven points and six assists a game. What has been kind of the secret to your breakout season?
Speaker 4: Really, it's it's a lot of the credit goes so obviously my teammates just being a dog, you just do that too, that too, Yeah, Uh, my teammates obviously the next organization for just believing in me and all that. I mean, obviously you can say that the work you put in and all that stuff, that's just that's just what I do. But uh, I got to give thanks to the people that really believed in me when I sometimes don't. And so my whole thing is I always try to keep my confidence, but it's always really beneficial when I have people on the side of me who's like, this is what you do, believe in yourself, and that gives me an extra boost.
Speaker 1: A ton of accolades, but most notably two time n C Double A CHAMPI at Villanova. Somehow you still slide to the second round. But now you're really the darling of the NBA with with with all due respect, on the biggest stage. You know, they called Master's Garden the Mecca.
Speaker 3: What is it like the.
Speaker 1: Energy and and and and the atmosphere back in New York Now that you guys are playing well, now.
Speaker 4: It's it's rocking every single night. It's it's crazy and going to the garden. And now when you're when you're sitting in traffic, now you're getting ready to go into the garden, you start to you start to feel the energy now before anyone's even in there. You know, when you're shooting on the court before the game and no one's really in the stands, yet you still feel the energy. So New York man, it's now when the next are good.
Speaker 1: Things are rocking in the NBA. Is better when the knicks are good?
Speaker 3: Question?
Speaker 1: A recent It ain't been often, but yeah, a recent stupid a recent video surface and I loved it because I'm in a similar stage with my twin boys. Of your pops working you out and just how he was on you and and and talk to us about that dynamic of having a dad that played in the league. You obviously wanted to follow in his footsteps, but just that journey to get there.
Speaker 3: And before you start.
Speaker 5: For us, like for me and JULYI like you like our son because we came up with your dad, you know what I'm saying, So we know him very well. So to see you shining even more, you know what I'm saying, coming coming out better than him and shining more than him, Like, it's extra gratifying to us to see you so she So you got people like me and July and the guys that came up with your dad that's getting so much joy from seeing you shine.
Speaker 1: You're talking about you older, all.
Speaker 3: The old motherfuckers like us came in with your dad to see you shining. Bro, We're super proud of you.
Speaker 4: Though I appreciate that, I think it's like going back to when he used to train me when we were younger. I think, obviously, I'm not like six ' eight now, I'm not jump over people. I'm not super fast.
Speaker 3: He wasn't.
Speaker 4: He definitely wasn't. Yeah, he definitely wasn't. He young when I was younger. It really you can obviously teach so much. It was like more mental than anything like my dad at the time. When that video surfaced. Uh, he was coaching at University of Virginia, so they just had a brand new facility, brand new arena, brand new practice gym. It's a c beautiful in there, but in the hot summer, and he had me working outside at the high school gym on the high school blacktops, and so I'm thinking, like, why are we not just going to the AC going to the ACGM, like we can still get the same work and whatever. The court's actually bigger in there, lines are probably perfect and everything, but uh, it was all mental and he was just trying to see where I was mentally, and and he pushed me and pushed me, and he was like, if you make a shot here, you can make sure anywhere. So I think as I grew older, obviously more skill based workouts were implemented to what I was doing. But now that mental part of it was huge, huge for me because I didn't really think about it until I got older. I was like, half the stuff I'm doing now is easy.
Speaker 5: Because it's Have you ever had anybody tell you that your IQ is through the charts your basketball a qu Yeah?
Speaker 4: Sometimes yeah, yeah, I think they also say that. I feel like, give me a compliment, but also say there's nothing else to my game. I heard that a lot, like coming up in the draft and stuff and people saying like, oh, he's good and he's great. Smart, but but right, yeah, so I mean, I know I'm smart. I know I'm smart, but like I know, I.
Speaker 5: Also a lot of other shit to me. Yeah, there's so many good players that dumb. You know, they can jump and all that, but up here they have no clue what's going on in the court.
Speaker 3: I got a question.
Speaker 1: I want to take it back to father's son, because again I'm in that situation. Now, what was that line of because I'm to the to the thought of my boys are fifteen now they just finished their freshman year, first season of varsity, of you wanting it, but your dad pushing you. How was that dynamic when you were younger? Was it, hey, let's go get this work, or you were someone that's dad, let's go get this work.
Speaker 3: How did that work? A little bit of both?
Speaker 4: Okay, I would say definitely there will be days where it was unspoken, like we knew that. Like I got to the point where I was like in freshman my freshman year was like all I gotta get my schoolwork done. They gotta go to the gym, and then I can do what I want. Like, it wasn't like, oh, I'm gonna go hang on my first friends with a little bit them to meet you at the gym later. It was like, no, yeah, you got to prioritize. My parents said, I got their school, there's basketball, and there's your social life. You gotta pick two of the three. And then obviously I picked basketball in school and the social life, Uh, it will always be there. Like my best friends still my best friends to this date, because they helped me. They knew. I was like, Yo, that's Jay's gonna do that and it's gonna meet up with us later. And so they gave me some choices. It was never like this is what you gotta do. They always hear the pros and cons do with it as you please, support you wherever. They'll support me. But like when I'm when I complaining about me not playing well or me not doing something well in school, They're like, oh, it's your fault.
Speaker 5: I like that born in Jersey, you moved seven times because of your dad's job.
Speaker 3: What was that like?
Speaker 4: Honestly, hell? Hell? But it helped. I would say hell, because obviously you're moving, like I said seven times before school, before college, like you're moving to different schools. You gotta meet meet new friends, gotta find new teams wherever you're going to. It got to the point where I kind of quit every other sport, like I played football, baseball, soccer, and basically I just like, you know, let me just play basketball around it's the easiest thing to do. I think it helped me because I had to adapt to every situation I was in. And so when I got to school like high school, college, like the kid the kids like my older teammates, I was young. I was a freshman playing varsity, So help me adapt to that, help me adapt to college and the league. So like moving all those times sucked, but it helped.
Speaker 1: Well, that's tough too as a young kid because friends are everything, like when you're little, like your friends are everything to you. So to be bouncing around to different schools and different states, like I said, I can see how it can build character and toughness. But at the same time, as a child, you're like, damn, like I'm leaving my friends again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was, it was. It was not fun. I'm not gonna lie to you, but it made me tough. Yeah, I man, I had to go through it. It wasn't like I had a choice either.
Speaker 5: Right around that time, you want to understanding it was your dad's journey, like what he was where he was trying to go. As a kid, you don't understand that. You're just bouncing around leaving your friends just frustrated. But now as being an NBA player that's been on a different team, you know what I'm saying. You kind of understand that now. But as a kid growing up in the NBA, any funny stories are good stories you remember from being around different teams.
Speaker 4: I remember obviously with like the don't really remember, but when I was at the Knicks, when my dad was with the Knicks, I used to I forget what game it was. I think it was the heat when Alan Houston caught the wall top of the key did all those jab steps to the cut shot at the top of the key. So I used to always do that jab step like in the locker room and then they all laugh and stuff like that. I used to run around do like the LJ sign. Yeah, yeah that's something I did. I did fould last week and we talked about the Jordan story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what I saw the headline? What is that story? I didn't hear the story.
Speaker 4: Long story short, we lived in Jersey for most of my dad's career in Jersey, so we go to all the East coast cities wherever it's drivable for us. And so he came to d C. Jordan's the Wizards, and so every way Arena, I got like that home team's jersey, just something that me and my mom did, and had Jordan's jersey on. So after the game, I got to go see my dad in the locker room, went to the other locker room with one of their coaches, and I met Michael and you want me to sell your jersey? I said, now, you mess it up. I was serious.
Speaker 3: I was. He was like two o three, so probably six or seven.
Speaker 4: I'm growing like I'm growing up in the NBA and I'm seeing all these players like all the time. So I'm like, it's I'm taking it for granted, Like I'm like, it is what it is. I was like I had no signatures, like nothing, Wow, my dad I used to collect stuff. I was like, I don't really, I don't need signatures. I'm good.
Speaker 5: I was like yeah, don't mess my jersey it up. That's crazy. How good was Jabari Parker in high school?
Speaker 4: Throw back? Man? Yo, We played him my sophomore year high school in the state championship. So I think our tallest due my sophomore was about six or five, and so we ran off like nineteen straight wins. All of a sudden, we were just we got hot. We went down state and playing Jabari, they just won three out of It was a senior year, so they won the last three state championships. So I'm like, yeah, we got all the conference in the world and we have a huge high school. We had like forty five hundred kids, so like our student section was packed, it was loud. Jabari just made it look too easy. Man killed just killed us. It was like the most effortless twenty points, like effortless, like and every bucket was just like man, Jabari was different. Definitely got hurt bro because he was nice. Oh my god, yeah he was. He was different and he was a good dude. Now he worked hard, didn't really say anything on the court never, but like I was just man, he was different.
Speaker 1: I feel like he has some mellow in him, like a strong, versatile dog that all dunk on you, big body with but he was athletic, fly get up to was nice.
Speaker 4: He's just one of those dudes that like it's like a nice guy. He doesn't say too much on the court. You're just like, who is this, Like it's a whole different person. He's he's just animal. Jal another one another another one my junior year. The next year, we played Jeale in the state state semifinals, stay semifinals, and so I had I think I had fifty six of like the sixty eight points.
Speaker 3: Damn.
Speaker 4: It's yeah. My friends they always give me shipped for not passing ball that game. Whatever I was I was doing ever could win. But Jelil just he was like thirteen of fifteen, just like just dunk and everything. Whatever. I'm just like, I just can't catch u break. That's two years ago. Were playing court number one recruits and these dudes are just killing us. But uh, there's another one who's just dominant, dominant?
Speaker 3: How lit were you right here?
Speaker 4: Oh man? For you right here? So I'll say this, this is this is that that game against Joel against Jeli game against its downstate. We're fighting. It's like a close game. It was like a two possession game at the time. We were down. We're down four with like thirty seconds left. So I come down, I get foult and I shoot it three and I make it. So I turned her around. I started putting my hands in the air saying count it, count it, and the refs like waving it off, like no, no, no. So I just turned around and I screamed. I was like, what the fuck? I screamed it, like I have my hands in the air and everything like. But the crazy part is that everyone sees that. But like I kind of face the other student section. I faced like the other it was Whitney young face like they're coaching their bench or whatever. Like no one said anything, didn't get a tech nothing. I didn't even realize that happened. I was just like the moment. I was the moment. So after the game, that picture like resurfaces or surfaces, and I'm like, that has to be photoshopped. I don't remember that I didn't do that. It has to be photoshopped. So then like our ad from the school knocks on my door, So yo, you're suspended for the third place game next tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Oh really?
Speaker 4: So I was like said, I swear I didn't do it, like I like, I had no idea that was like that was even the thing I had had to be doctored because the dude who took the picture didn't post it with people whatever, no no, no, with the with this company or his newspaper. He posted on his personal on his personal Twitter. So I'm like, well, why wouldn't he post it regularly if it was a real picture. So there was a whole thing and my team was going to sit out at the whole third place game because they thought like the picture was like doctor and everything, which I still to this day like I didn't do that. In my mind, I was like, there's no way, I don't remember that.
Speaker 1: You can see the ref blowing up, blowing and they're no shock. So they did they didn't care.
Speaker 4: So when that picture, so when the people from the MAVs, like the trains that found that picture, they like they got like little like fat had stickers of it and put it everywhere in the practice facility.
Speaker 5: For me to see, now that I look at it looked like the left fingers doctored a little bit a little bit, it looked like it a little bit.
Speaker 1: Mm hmmmm, college freshman, you get a chance to start and win a national championship. We were talking about before we got started. I mean, obviously the league is the ultimate, going the prize, but I had a blast in college. You talked to us about.
Speaker 3: Where'd you go to college? Yet?
Speaker 1: Uh you the dr No backyard university. The streets are hard. Not as a freshman starting get a chance to win a national championship at Villanova. Talked to us about that experience.
Speaker 4: It was that year was fun. And I say it was fun because it was it was up ups and downs. Like as a freshman, I was all American and so like, I'm thinking, like I'm gonna go like I'm gonna do my thing, and like I know, obviously when I got to Villanova, it was like it was team oriented. Those dudes were He had a bunch of older dudes. But I knew I had a chance to come in and compete, to start and everything. So coach tried didn't give me anything. I knew I was gonna have to compete for everything. But coach writes another one who like everything was mental, like your mental approaches everything and so like he would come into practice some days and try and break you and see where you were. And that was his goal to see where we were as a team. And with me, I just could not let that happen in my three years. I was like, this man would never be able to do that, do that. But and we fought, man, we fought like hell. We had like little things going on throughout the season. But the one thing I realized that our practices were way harder than our games were way harder. So we got the game time, We're thinking, these these dudes aren't playing as hard as I was like, they may be more talented, but they're not going to outdog us. That's how I mean. We obviously had different terminology and stuff like that, but that was basically what we did. And so Coach Wright had that mentality for us, and it was it was fun because we just knew the other dudes weren't going to just do the little things that we were going to do. So if we made shots, we were winning. But if things weren't going well for us, but Artist's kind of kind of tough en up, and he he implemented implemented that into our minds and obviously every by the.
Speaker 5: Way, is it ironic school like I know he's married, but he's the ladies man. Like the ladies love him like you know love coach right Ellen them. Oh that she bro.
Speaker 3: She called me and asked me, do I know him really?
Speaker 5: I'm like, nah, I don't know. I'm just looking at a picture of him, like but she's not. But she's not the first one. I've had other older ladies from when I'm working somewhere talk about him so like ladies man or something.
Speaker 4: GQJ GQJ. Everyone everyone sees nothing like this. Everyone sees that Jay Wright when he walks into practice sometimes and he's like, hair's a little messed up, and he got that scowl on his face. His first name is Gerald, Gerald jailed right, so he was all right. Everyone else sees Jay right, but we see Gerald right. You know you don't want to see cheryld.
Speaker 1: Right, Jerald's on some ship. How did you learn how to play off two feet with? As a Villanova that come earlier, very skilled off two feet?
Speaker 4: I learned a little. I learned it with obviously work with my dad, but I think at Villanova it was like polished, polished it because everyone did it. It was something we did every single day. Like kids, you not. That's how we started practice. That's how we ended practice like that, We started just doing our footwork stuff. And so Coach Wright was like, I want you guys to have this in your repertoire, knowing that you guys can play the other way, but you will always have this style of basketball and then it works. It works. And then when we won that my freshman year, coach said his line with us, He's like, now that I know this ship works and it's going to be healthy guys next year. Yeah, all right, so we really gotta but he really implemented that so us because you knew that sometimes people are going to be athletic, more athletic than we are. But like, so about how smart we are having in our footwork and all themself. So he yeah, he every day.
Speaker 3: How many pross on that team for.
Speaker 4: Twenty sixteen, Yeah me, Michael Ryan Archidiac. You know Josh Hart, our big man, Daniel Cheffi played in the league for a little bit. Who red shirted that year is Dante Even James Eric Pascal red shirt that year because he's transferred.
Speaker 1: So six seven, Yeah, that's you guys get a chance to win another one. Twenty eighteen so two time champ, also National Player of the Year, you knew it was time to go after that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I had no choice. Also, the best part about it my mama like this, I graduated that year too.
Speaker 3: So I finished.
Speaker 4: I finished three years finishing damn finishing out. But yeah, it was that was the plan. Like I be thought about it my sophomore year. But that's that's mom, that's work man.
Speaker 1: I love.
Speaker 4: I can't give that dad said. Dad wanted me to do it, but Mom was like, nine.
Speaker 1: On, you make sure you did it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was I went How hard did have to graduate three years? Yeah? It took me for and I still didn't forty five and I even thought about it. Yeah, that he crushing by.
Speaker 1: What was your I mean, obviously graduation, National Player of the Year, two time NCAA champ. What was your draft process? Like, did you have to do a bunch of workouts?
Speaker 3: You do a few?
Speaker 4: I did nine. I did nine workouts draft processes. It wasn't too bad, obviously, like nine workouts is a lot like that with the travel and everything. But a lot of people did more, so I couldn't make complain. Some people were doing like twenty twenty five, so I think I did a decent amount.
Speaker 1: Any member of the ones, like guys you went up against in the draft that were supposed to be higher or whatever it. Maybe sometimes you hear those draft stories.
Speaker 4: I think I think the one draft story that always comes to minds at the Utah and the Grayson Allen is there. Grayson Allen got drafted off workout. Really, yes, the drafted the Utah off that workout. He dominated. Really couldn't be mad at it because I wasn't playing terrible. I think I think I was on his team too, the three on three team. Man, he was cooking. He got drafted off that workout a lot, like they knew it right away.
Speaker 1: So he was their type of player too, kind of Matt Harpring type.
Speaker 3: Matt Harpin was.
Speaker 5: A problem because when I talk about Utah, aboud say, I'm out of this conversation. You get drafted with Luca gotta beat the U. I wouldn't say the best draft ever, but close to it. Which what you think about the draft. Plass my draft because I'm I'm just Dylan. But this guy Dylan back here, he goes he's a big time basketball head, so he goes overboard with some of the things he says some times the best draft ever.
Speaker 4: But I won't say I won't say ever. I would say if it's the best draft class ever, because that dude's a Hall of Famer, I'll say that that dude.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 4: It's funny because I remember first medium, that language very was hilarious, hilarious. Can he can speak way better English now? But he came in right away and he just like it looks so effortless, like my style. I gotta come in every day, I gotta do this, I do that, I do this just to make sure that like they just see this man just come in the gym, they do his work, and when he play pick up, it just looked like he's doing that slow motion but he's doing whatever he wants. And I'm thinking, I play like my own page, like I control the game whatever whatever. I do it a little differently, but his is on another level. So from day one, I was like, this dude is good. This dude's good. But like also I'm thinking, like, like damn, this dude is good.
Speaker 3: Do I belong?
Speaker 4: That's what that's all like the type of doubt that put in my mind, Like this dude he was he was that good? I came in. You can ask any vet on that team. It was like DeAndre Jordan's, Wes Matthews, Harrison Barnes, j J Brea, Devin Harris, they all say the same thing. The dude just came in and everyone was just like wow and just we see it started.
Speaker 3: I didn't who got drafted in bronze class him? Mellow right. I just wanted to throw that out, the.
Speaker 4: MAVs personally getting him and Luca in the same draft.
Speaker 3: Okay, you didn't say that on this ship. He didn't write it on there though.
Speaker 5: Who is Luca off the court? The kid kid like all of us? Yeah, big kid he was. He's a cool dude.
Speaker 4: Uh. He realized to just relax and kind of be out of the spotlight, which I like about him. He's not like he doesn't like the attention on the earth chill, just wants to hang out and all that stuff. He's really low key.
Speaker 1: He's like, what's one of your favorite stories that you could tell about you and him or something happened or practice games, travel, any any funny stories with you two ones.
Speaker 4: I've been in a couple of times, for sure, Oh for sure. And there's there's evidence too, there's video evidence too, So I just had to throw that out there. Some stories on me and Luca, I would say like the longer I was able to be on the court, on the court with him, BE gained much more respect. So our friendship grew like that. Of course, obviously I wasn't playing as much until I obviously it got better and better each year. And so, man, we used to we used to gamble on the plane. Man, you sed to gamble on the plane, played tom I didn't playing right, I didn't play. I'm cool cool. We used to play, used to play tonk a little bit. So I'm obviously the lowest uh paid player at the table and so but uh, the only thing about Luca never pays his bets right away.
Speaker 1: Some people still some people was DJ the dealer because DJ cheeks dj J didn't play.
Speaker 4: I didn't play. I played like freshman, didn't playing a rooie year. I played like closer to my theater. See, we didn't do that.
Speaker 3: I got to pay up.
Speaker 5: You get off the playing that was writing checks.
Speaker 4: Also like it's from the MAVs. I remember you know how you get like pretty n Yeah, we got it on a debit card, so we never got.
Speaker 5: Cash right there. That's that's dope. How was Dirk being around dirt amazing? Nunbelievable.
Speaker 4: It was crazy because he's another dude is just a big kid. Like he's a big kid. But I remember seeing him like just like fighting to like get back on the court because he had I think he had then ankle procedure right before my rookieyear, so he was just fine to get back. And I'm seeing how hardest Due is working at year twenty one, knowing that this probably is last year, So made me think about like maybe just like five or six years ago, like what he was doing to like get himself ready to go.
Speaker 3: And so.
Speaker 4: That dude's work. I think in his mind a year twenty one was off the charts, so obviously he couldn't do the things he used to do.
Speaker 1: But mine's still sharp as ever.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for me, he's probably the smartest coach and probably the first coach to well besides Pop, but the first coach to actually believing me to be a star on the team. What did Rick Carlile do for you and what type of coach was he to you?
Speaker 4: Rick is different? I love Rick, Yes, he's different. Different. When I say different, man, he's just he's hilarious. Like from from the way he calls timeouts to everything he does. This is a quirky dude. But when it comes to basketball, man, he's just like genius, genius, genius.
Speaker 5: He was.
Speaker 4: He was a great, great dude. When I played, he let me go. When I go, he let me go. And so when I used to talk to AI about the things I had to do whatever, Like I was like, coach, like what I gotta doyada? He just basically just go play, man, Let's go play. Be yourself. He told me to limit my mid ranges. But I was thinking, I make him be good, making me good.
Speaker 5: But he's it's a mythod behind everything he say though he everything is calculating.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's calculating, calculated. Everything is calculating. He was a great He was a great dude to play for. I loved it.
Speaker 5: He's the only coach man that I played from fourteen years that begin the season he bring each player, the starting five. He bring each player in before the season and tell them what he wants them to do, so you know your role, so it's not you're not going out to step on nobody toes up. You're doing much best for the team. And when the coach does that, it's simplified. He simplifies it for players where the can understand what he need him to do. He's the only coach to do ever done it, and I think all coaches should do that with players.
Speaker 4: He's he's definitely straightforward, which I love. Whether it was whether you liked it or not, Yep, there it is.
Speaker 1: It ain't no guess work Knicks free agency. Was there a chance in Dallas? The bright lights in New York will call your name, talk to us about your free agency.
Speaker 4: There's a chance, Okay, there's a chance. I really did want to stay in Dallas. I think before the season, before my fourth season in Dallas, the last season in Dallas, we try to extend our contract whatever he can get. The most we can get was like four years and fifty five million, and so obviously want to do that. I wanted to stay there. I thought I'd be there for a long time, and I liked my role there. It's funny because my agent was like, I mean, you can do so much, you can do you can get more, you can get more. I'm saying, like, well, like I just want to be safe. I'm not trying to gamble right now. This is not something you really gamble with if it's out there, right, and so, but they were like, we want to see where we're at, and like twenty twenty five games into the season, but we were like, all right, well, if we're not going to do it, I kind of don't want to do it until after the season. I'm not trying to think about.
Speaker 1: This during the season, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So there's a period where Luca went out and I started to start, and I was playing really well. I think it was averaging like twenty and like six maybe whatever, And so it was about that twenty twenty five mark, and so we went back. We're like, hey, like, if the deal's there, we're thinking about it, like I'll do it like right now. Still it was no like it was It wasn't hard, No, it was just like we want to see, we want to see something.
Speaker 1: Like this was Dallas.
Speaker 4: This is Dallas, doubt because I originally I wanted to stay there, and so trade deadline comes, I'm like thinking, like, if I'm not getting extended, I'm probably gonna get traded. Probably. I think the way I've been playing like there's just like I'm playing somewhat decent, and so that didn't happen. And then yeah, so the deal came on the table after the trade deadline. I was like, I no, I think I think I've outgrown that. Now personally, that's what I thought. I was, I think I've outgrown that. Obviously going to playoffs, Luke gets hurt like second to last game, in the last game of the season, and so where he's out for the first three games, and I obviously did what I did, and looking back and looking back and so that all happens. I'm trying, I'm trying to think of my timeline so I don't mess up. So they we losing the Western Conference Finals, and I remember seeing something on Twitter after the game and it was like Mark saying, hey, like we can pay him the most money, and so he says that on Twitter, he says that in an interview like whatever whatever, like reterally right after the game. And so I'm thinking, like, all right, I'm okay. I just after that, it was like crickets from my point of view, I can't speak to anyone else on myag From my point of view, it was crickets and so, and obviously I saw like New York making moves and saw that stuff.
Speaker 3: I was like home.
Speaker 4: Coase to home two hours away from where I was, or an hour away from when I was born. Parents over on the East Coast. Whole family is on the East Coast. So I started thinking like, Okay, this could be a real thing. And so then here we are.
Speaker 3: Be'st move you made?
Speaker 4: That's moves.
Speaker 1: What's the experience been like with TIBs? Old school, tough, those.
Speaker 4: TIBs, I would say, me and Tibbs, his relationship is different because here's the backstory. My dad went to Salem High School in Salem, Massachusetts. Tibbs went to Salem State, so that's how they met when my dad was in high school, So that relationship started there. And so they played pick up and all that stuff. They knew each other from just being in the area, so that relationship started there. And then my dad was with the Knicks when Tims's assistant coach when they went to the finals, and so obviously the relationships continued to grow and never and then my dad also coached with Tibbs and the Bulls. So that's why I moved to Chicago and then he was with the Timberwls with TIBs. So I've known Tibbs pretty much since I can yeah, my whole life. So when I got to here, this dude pushes me the same way I saw him push any other player. Doesn't really give me special treatment. Who's still who yell at me? Who yelled at me like I could have a Wideman shot in the corner. He's gonna yell at me for something, so like, ain't it Ain't like it's no like pres roll or special treatment at all. He just he pushed me every single day. He wants me the best practic every single day. And people say that he doesn't. He lives it. This man was in the gym, is in the facility yesterday after our last game, now giving me a call at ten am, Like it's like talking about basketball. What I thought about the game last night as a coach. I haven't watched it. I'm getting, I'm packing, I'm going to All Star. This is why I think he's always pushing me that way. So, I mean, our relationship is different just because I know him for so long, But I mean I love that man.
Speaker 3: What was your Team USA experience like and losing At the same time.
Speaker 4: I'll say this, my Team USA experience was great for me and all the team, the guys going to all these special places Spain, I would AaB be the Philippines. As soon as we lost, right and we were done, I forgot about everything that just happened. So it went like it was that whole tip just didn't happened. That's what it felt in my mind. I was like, you didn't win. We didn't win. So everyone's like, oh my, how was your trip? When I got back, I'm like, sucked, right, we lost, Like he said, Oh, but you went to like Spain do all this stuff like that doesn't matter. Like I wasn't on vacation. I wasn't on vacation or nothing like. I was just like the whole trip was ruined for me as soon as we lost.
Speaker 3: Oh school, this is that's cilic.
Speaker 4: It's just real.
Speaker 5: I think you're gonna get in an NBA title because one way, I think he's just one of those guys like me that just wins everywhere.
Speaker 1: It's going to get it.
Speaker 3: I think he's one of those people.
Speaker 5: I hope, Yeah, are you hoping to be on the next Olympic team? Twenty four men.
Speaker 4: I couldn't say no unless obviously it was something was to happen or whatever special circumstance. I'm always open to it. I'm always over to it. That's just opportunity that doesn't come too often.
Speaker 5: Right, Congratulations on the pod Man Mad waiting for a invite the Roommate. The Roommate showed you and Josh Hart talk about the pod that come about the.
Speaker 4: Pods, fun the pods. On the best part about the power right now, not the best part, the worst part about the power right now? Uh So we the first two shows that aired, we did before our last lose, Our Lousion Streaks. Everyone's like, oh, oh, once is the pot started. Yeah, we haven't recorded since in a minute, but I love it because obviously everyone sees the players on the court, and obviously in the interviews and asking like basketball questions or whatever. Yeah, me and Josh wanna talking about basketball, but like we're talking about our relationship and how we met and stuff, all the old stuff to get us where we are.
Speaker 1: Just the conversation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like we just want to talk. Like people don't see NBA players talk about what's going on when they're playing in the n B a in real time, in real time, and so I mean, obviously it's like it's a second fiddle to what we're doing. We're hooping. We were hooping right now. But man, it's fine. I'm excited. And for sure, Yo, we'll set that up therapeutic too.
Speaker 3: It's therapeutic.
Speaker 1: We're definitely down to come to How did your partnership with Bose come about?
Speaker 4: They came to me, Man, they came to me. I'm not gonna lie. I think bows surprised me because I was I was an Apple kid my entire life. Everyone's like Apple, Apple, and and Bose came to me. I put them on and noise cancelationship is real. No, No, I like it is real. Like you put the ear box their earbuds in and on the plane on her nothing nothing, man, I love it.
Speaker 1: Shout out too, because they lay stuff with some stuff.
Speaker 3: For our bags.
Speaker 1: Yes, they did appreciate it here about those, but we appreciate that. I wondered real quick before and we're heading in the U the quick hitters to finish out the show. But I just want to know real quick, what has it been like playing with your college teammates in New York of all places. Obviously Dante's been playing really well. You're doing your thing, Josh got paid. Like what is that like to kind of obviously have the college experience but then have it like this on the biggest stage in New York.
Speaker 4: Man, it's fun, man, it's fun. New York is The Garden is a special place, so we used to play there. I probably played in the Garden in college about sixteen times. Yeah, the biggest tournament. Whenever you played Saint John's, we played them at the Garden. We had a couple like neutral site games at the Garden, so I was like fifteen and one at the Garden. I was like fifteen and one. Is something that we lost one game. It was to see in all a freshman y and the biggest championship. I remember that. We'll never forget that. But playing with those three, like especially in the place that we used to play in a lot and it's awesome. You don't like people talk about like you get these opportunities like this and something you should really like cherish man, like pretty much your boys used to like go at it with every single day and practice. Like I said, practices were hard in the games in college, so we used to like ballot for me and Josh gott into a couple of altercations. John Tay and Dosh got to way more stuff because they used to guard each other and like go at it. But to see where we are now, like how we've all like matured, like not just with basketball, with life, and it's it's crazy, man, it's unbelievable.
Speaker 3: Blessed man. Enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Enjoy it all right, Uh, quick hitters, first team to come to mind. Give us your thoughts. Top five point guards in NBA history.
Speaker 4: Magic. I'm not going to order magic. Steph Steve Nash, he killed me if I didn't say it. Jason kidd Uh, I'm gonna go with my guy to cp C.
Speaker 3: That's my dog. Did you have a childhood crush? Who's your child crush?
Speaker 4: Beyonce?
Speaker 1: Beyonce easy call. Most underrated food spot in New York underrated.
Speaker 4: I always do the overrated places, underrated.
Speaker 1: Or maybe maybe one of your favorite low key spots.
Speaker 4: It's a little it's a little Italian spot underground. It's called Scalontonella Skeleton Ellen Scallon Tanilla. That's right close enough. Real talent. I'm talking about authentic, authentic Italians.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, it's your guilty pleasure. It's crazy.
Speaker 4: Whenever I can't keep him in the house, oreos regular.
Speaker 1: Double stuff to get.
Speaker 4: Keep him in the house. One time my wife brought him into the house and she tried to hide them from me. I was looking for something else and I saw them. I closed the doorback. I was like, damn, man, I know where these are. Now I could have sleep in the middle of the night. I'm like, I need a snack.
Speaker 1: With or without milk?
Speaker 5: Uh either or it doesn't matter. Have you experienced the Delta Bisco offs Delta? Never heard of them? My goodness, you got Delta just for the cookies.
Speaker 1: That's the reason.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: One thing you wish you were better at?
Speaker 3: Golf? Oh? I like that.
Speaker 4: Golf and video games?
Speaker 3: What video game you play?
Speaker 4: Play call? Do they play Fortnite? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I would say n A four is when to come out of college football. I can't for that for that.
Speaker 4: I'll say that because I'll say video games because my boys be calling me. Man, I'm always on the one first one dying whatever whatever. Every days like I'll be playing well too, and I die. Here we go again. I'm like, bro, I'm playing well today, you're the weakest link.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm always the weakest tripping I do it in real life. One guess you would like to see on all the smoke, But but you have to help us get your answer on the show.
Speaker 1: Close with yeah something you are cool rolodex of yours.
Speaker 4: Josh would be the easy answer. So I'm not gonna say that.
Speaker 5: I want to I got I just want to talk to him though, because he's seemed funny as hell.
Speaker 4: He has no filter. I know he's I can tell sometimes on our show he starts talking to him like this, dude, just just Josh just torn it down a little bit. No, no, no, I gotta I gotta do it. I'm like, all right, but uh, it's very cool, dude, I see you gotta be him, man, he's unhinged. Yeah, you don't care.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this would be a great place for a little bit of me and him exactly.
Speaker 1: Well, Jacon, man, we appreciate you stopping by your best of luck in the three point contests, enjoy yourself in the All Star Game, and then continue to push it.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: I mean, like I said, I feel like you guys have something special out there. Continue to build on that and best of luck on your run to the playoffs.
Speaker 4: Thank you man, I appreciate it. Thank yousing.
Speaker 1: That's a rap man. Jason Brunson All Star twenty twenty four Indiana. We'll see y'all next week.