Speaker 1: Welcome to the Solid Verbo. I'm that for me. I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for Dake Edith State. Is that whoo whoom? And Dan and Tye.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Solid Urbo Boys and girls. My name is ty hilden Brand, joining me as always over there in sunny, still summery New York City.
Speaker 1: My man, the one, the only, Dan Rubenstein, Sir, how are you You know how I like signs, Tye? You know how I like to look for signs that it's going to be a great show or all we might be in trouble, something from above the universe telling me something. Mm hmmm. So I'm I'm dragging a little bit on the way home to record the show, and I'm thinking, you know what, a burst of sugar would be great, nothing too intense. But we're talking about the Big twelve. We're talking about a high octane conference, and I just I don't want to stop it and get some candy. I don't want, you know, I want M and M's or Skittles or something like that. I don't know. It's just I don't need a lot of sugar. So when I do, I want something good and I'm walking down the street and all of a sudden, three little kids have set up a stand with rice crispy treats and brownies, and I just felt like the universe was smiling down not just on me and my what breaks down sugar in the body pancreas sure, oh no, okay, but also the Big twelve preview, that we have so many teams looking for a jolt of energy. All of this segue is coming together on the fly.
Speaker 2: This is all kinds of cheeseballs right here. Continue to thank you, But.
Speaker 1: The universe sent me a delicious corner piece of a brownie, and I feel like we are We're on borrowed time here, We're doing great.
Speaker 2: So delicious corner piece of a brownie? Yes, right into the Big twelve preview?
Speaker 1: Are you? You're generally in favor of like a corner lasagna, corner brownie pizza.
Speaker 2: No problem with corners now, but first choice? Probably not first choice? No, whoa interesting, Probably not first choice. I just assumed that was everybody's first choice. Nope, nope, you are one in a million. Dan Rubnstein crunch factor high for me. Okay, so crunch factor high for the Big twelve. This is preview number two. But before we get into it, Ty, I have a feeling you're going to touch on some housekeeping. I am going to touch on some housekeeping. Thank you for the setup, Ice Man, I appreciate it. Solid Verbaltickets dot com, Slash Texas. If you want to buy tickets to our live show in Dallas or North Texas if you want to get particular, that show is in August the seventeenth at Alamo Draft House, eight pm Central. Some tickets still available, Please do buy them. You're running out of time. If you're interested, tell friends you know the drill. We're going to do our fantasy things. We started putting that show together ever so slowly, but coming together very very nicely. We are excited. And don't fret if you can't be in the Dallas slash North Texas Fort Worth area on August seventeenth, because thanks to the marvel of modern air travel, Daniel, you and I will be hopping on a bird the very next morning, flying cross country to the nation's capital August the eighteenth. It's a Sunday night, It's at Union Stage. It's along the Water in d C. Yeah, seven thirty pm Eastern time. We will be doing another fantasy thing show, not the same show. There might be some crossover, some overlap, but by on large via a Nate Stanley dedicated segment on each on each show. I think that goes without saying yeah, but by and large, two different shows. If you want to get tickets to that DC show, solidverbotickets dot com, slash DC, we're gonna send out another emailer. You're probably sick of getting them from us by now, but soliverbletickets dot com, Slash Texas, soliverbletickets dot com, slash DC. The show weekend is going to be nuts for you and I. It's coming up very quickly. Looker that I'm comfortable with, but that's fine. We'll make it happen. Please do get on out there, or we can go to our website soliverbo dot com.
Speaker 1: The link is at the very top of the page. I like that hour, and I guess more of my brand is strong enough that I like. I tweeted somebody that is like a taco expert in Dallas about where to go, and then other people saw that, and then we got emails. I like that. People are looking at me like I am like I have a problem, Like I'm some sort of addict. And we have all these pushes like what are you looking for some langua you looking for some posstore looking for we want to taste of that asada I can get you going. So we are very excited. We're going to work both our minds and bodies ragged to give you two excellent shows in the Dallas area and DC. And couldn't be more excited. And we I think we're stapling on like a slight not a bonus show. We're stapling on it a little surprised that we'll reveal close. I guess next week, Uh you know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: I think I do know what you mean yet two weeks. It's gonna be right two weeks.
Speaker 1: So next week we can tease out the little well a bonus hag kind of thing. Bonus hang. I like that. That's a good way to please it.
Speaker 2: Okay, So today, as you mentioned at the top, it is preview Numero Dose. We are going into all things Big twelve. If you're interested in hearing preview Numero who know that was the acc we did it last week after today's show. Of note, because we have gotten some questions about this, you can listen to two Celiverble episodes per week starting this coming Sunday. Yeah, that's right, This coming Sunday, we will start dropping our two shows a week, our normal regimen as we get near and into the college tripball season here in twenty nineteen, So something.
Speaker 1: To look forward to. As always, if you don't already.
Speaker 2: Follow us on social media, we are on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, all the usual hotspots.
Speaker 1: Also, there is.
Speaker 2: A subredd reddit dot com slash slash soliverb where you can talk about.
Speaker 1: All of our episodes.
Speaker 2: And if you haven't already, please do subscribe to our newsletter of intent, which you can find at solid verbal dot com. Oh and if you want to buy a T shirts, you could buy those whenever you want. I have a bunch you need to send out, Dan, I haven't told you about this yet. I got to send these out to some loyal verballers. You know, I still have trouble saying that. I don't know why I.
Speaker 1: Still I still drift a little too close to lawyers. How about Treasured Verbal, Treasured Verballers, thank you? I have yeah, some surets I have to send out. But Soliverble dot com. When we put store Soliverble dot com slash store, we put the Letdown look Ahead sandwich one back up in the store. I saw we got a bunch of requests for this good if you're interested in that. It's very comfortable. People will be very confused and say, wait, who started? Is that from the people that started? Jersey might no, no different, something different, But it's an icebreaker. You can have a conversation about it. But it's very comfortable to design. I think came out cool. So the Letdown look Ahead sandwich shirt back up, Solid Verbal dot com slash store.
Speaker 2: On that note, Dan Boom, let's get into the Big twelve, same format as a week ago. You and I have constructed questions for one another. We're trying to facilitate a discussion here, man, that's what we're doing on this show. Yeah, I've got questions for you, You've got questions for me.
Speaker 1: Where do we want to start? You want to start with the defending champion? Please? All right? Ask me a question. You have the.
Speaker 2: Defended champion, your Oklahoma Sooners. They went to the College Football Playoff. They lost to Alabama, but had a great season, we had by one Kyler Murray Heisman Trophy winner, number one overall pick in the NFL draft, And now as we enter the twenty nineteen season, I think everyone's going to ask what about Jalen Hurts. Jalen Hurts is the transfer from Alabama, obviously had a fair amount of success during his time in Tuscaloosa.
Speaker 1: Now he's jumped.
Speaker 2: Aboard the Lincoln Riley bandwagon in Norman, and the obvious question is, well, can Lincoln Riley engineer yet another Heisman campaign at the quarterback position. I think that's a fair question. I think we'll get into that. Yes, what I need to know from you though, I need to talk about Oklahoma's defense because defense was clearly the Achilles heel last season. It's been so for a while. Lincoln Riley made a big move in the offseason. He snagged Alex Grinch over from Ohio State, formerly of Wazoo, to come in and upgrade it. So for people who aren't familiar with Alex Grinch, what can they expect? What do you expect in year one in Oklahoma? And do you see an immediate impact from him or from the defense like we've seen at other places?
Speaker 1: He's been first off Giant Dome, so fits that Mike and Bob Stoop's mold of having a big head. Alex Grinch brings that right off the bat. What's in that brain? Well, I think he's going to be a little less predictable than late era Mike Stoops. I think he is. He's going to do. He's going to attempt to hide weakness a little bit better. That secondary was absolutely torched by admittedly very very good quarterbacks you know, led by Will Greer near the end of the season than Tua in the playoff. I think he's going to try to generate more confusion. They're going to take more chances. I think it's very easy to look at Alex Grinch as somebody who is coming in fixed defenses like he did at Washington Satan, say what is he going to do this year? I think they're a year away. I honestly think the best that they can hope for from going to from horrid is to not great, to blow average, that kind of thing. I think you're going to have to. This is going to be the cliche of previews and new coaches, but it's going to be a walk before you can run. Because last year of the defense, especially against the pass and in the Big twelve it seems important, was putrid. And so it's generating a better pass rush. It's you know, confusing. Like I said, they last year and you said achilles heel, it was it was more heel, calf, quad, every back part of the body was a problem for Oklahoma. So they married the best offense when appears to be the best offense of the modern era, with a truly abysmal defense, and then they add penalties to that. So I think that's something that you can in year one fix pretty quickly. It's discipline. And so if that happens, and you look at the better teams in college football that are outperforming the talent they have a lot of it is turnovers and disciplined, you know, killing penalties and all that kind of stuff. So if they're able to do that with a higher talent level than most, they're going to be in a pretty good place to win those those fifty to fifty games like the Texas game from last year and the Iowa State game from a couple of years ago. If Alex Grinch and this is the thing that it kind of pains me to say, because I know how it might be taken by Oklahoma fans if he can be middle era, So like twenty thirteen, fourteen fifteen Mike Stoops and the defense that he put together with, I would say more talent the middle part of that defense, especially linebacker Eric Striker and Frank Shannon. Guys like that. They're gonna worship him. He's gonna be a god middle eras middle era, very specific, Wow, middle era Mike Stoops. But here's the other important thing. Last year's defense, as bad as it was at times, was bailed out by again an incredible offense.
Speaker 2: Well see, and that's the thing we talked about it. You'll remember countless times on the show. Last year. The offense was playing so well that it was almost as if Oklahoma's entire game plan on defense was to try and create one or two plays like one or two plays, get a turnover, do something that gives an extra possession to the offense, and that at a minimum will be enough to create some separation. Because the offense was so high powered, it was so efficient, I think you want to be better than that. Last year Oklahoma gave up six point one to three yards per play. That's worse than Kansas. That's worse at Oklahoma State, neither of which you might have assumed was all that great on defense either. So just marginally better makes them so so so much better as a team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they had a true freshman quarter and Bookie was it, Radley Hile whatever it is, it's a three namer starts with Bookie. He was picked on a lot, especially in that Will Green or West Virginia game. And so confidence is going to be a huge thing. And the other thing is, I don't know. I mean, they have CD Lamb, they bring in three blue blue blue chip receivers. Charleston Rambo's an all time great name at receiver, Grant Galcatara comes back at tight end. Obviously we know about Trey Sermon and Kennedy Brooks at running back. So I wonder if they play with tempo a little bit. I wonder if because Jalen Hurts, I don't think is necessarily going to be Kyler Murray nor Baker Mayfield downfield with that sort of confidence throwing into tight windows, timing kind of guy. Because if there was anything that we questioned from his time at Alabama was the fearlessness, the accuracy, the consistency of Jalen Hurts downfield. Now, maybe going to Lincoln Riley University solves everything. And we admittedly we didn't get to see him in the Mike Loxley Josh Gaddis dan Inosarah at Alabama, so maybe if he were forced into starting duty last year it would have been better. And obviously we saw him save the SEC championship game with Tua and his issues medically, but I'm curious, you know, a full off season in this program. But on the flip side with that, the track record of grad transfers, guys thrust into a big spot, whether it's at Florida, whether it's at wherever it's it's tough. It's absolutely tough to pick something up and have that command right away. So Oklahoma's defensive line, pretty experienced linebacker, has questions, especially Caleb Kelly, longtime starter and a keycog. He hurts his knee in the spring and still the secondary is a nightmare. So just improving on penalties. The schedule is I mean, they open against Houston here.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing you mentioned the schedule, Yeah, and I think when you combine that with the whole conversation around Jalen Hurts. It changes expectations a little bit. The schedule that Jalen Hurts had to play at Alabama was a far cry for what he's got this year in the Big Twelve right with Oklahoma, and I think that plays to his favor. To be honest, I think he can get away with being, you know, seventy five percent of Kyler Murray. He might be a lot better and he would still be a huge success for the Sooners this season.
Speaker 1: Which one of these defenses on the road for Oklahoma scares you the most or scares you period? UCLA, Kansas, Kansas State, Baylor, Oklahoma State. These are schools that I mean the Kansas State defense was actually really nice at preventing bigger plays. But it's a new look defense in some regard, and I just don't see that hornet's nest. I don't see that multi sport field in Jalen Hurts is twenty nineteen that's going to be bearing down on him. Could be wrong, but at first glance, it's tough to find.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it sets up well for Oklahoma this year. There's still a ton of talent on the offensive side of the ball. I think any kind of improvement on defense makes them incredibly better. Any kind of I think any kind of improvement on the defensive side of the football makes them nothing short of a contender that are already there.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, or so.
Speaker 2: So Again, we're splitting hairs trying to find issues with this team at this point. Lincoln Riley has done a tremendous job job in his first two seasons, and I would expect that to continue now into twenty nineteen. The next obvious question then, is is there a challenger other than Texas or maybe just is Texas a challenger that is going to emerge in the twenty nineteen Big twelve Conference.
Speaker 1: That it's a great question, and we're not splitting hairs finding a waakness. To be clear, we know the weakness. That's clear. It's clearly the defense. But it were splitting airs in terms of looking at Oklahoma and saying, are there significant problems outside of Oklahoma that you know it's obvious that they're going to take down Oklahoma because that doesn't exist necessarily. I have Oklahoma, as you know, best case scenario probably eleven to one. I have them going the defense going against I don't know, six to six and a half threatening quarterbacks on their schedule. The worst case scenario is probably nine to three with no defensive improvement this year, not a great fit with Jalen Hurtz. This is worst case again, and they won a couple of significant shootouts last year that if they don't beat Tech I think it was Texas Tech and Oklahoma State, and obviously they lose to Texas in a shootout last year. You know, they go nine to three this year and it just doesn't it doesn't fully work this year. And then moving forward with presumably Spencer Ratler the number one quarterback in this past year's class, or I think it's Tanner Mordecai, great name also on the depth chart that they would you know, approach the levels of Kyler Murray and Baker Mayfield. So that's my best case, worst case. Where are we going next year? Dan, you want to ask me something, Well, you you seem to be itching to talk about Texas, Texas Hawk Kansas football. Now, okay, the Texas question is I mean fairly certain, fairly obvious right now, and they lose chunks of that defense that actually wasn't great. So I'd like there are some people that worry about like, oh, they lose you know, big players at each level of the defense, Like a defense struggled some against some some pretty significant opponents, and then weirdly enough, the offense struggled against teams they shouldn't have struggled against. So and it's sort of it's become a Tom Herman calling card of getting up for the huge opponents and all of a sudden not showing up for some lesser ones. Do you have reason to believe the Longhorns can be more focused and consistent week to week than they've been in years past? We saw the Maryland games these past two years with Tom Herman.
Speaker 2: More focused and consistent week to week than they have been in years past. First off, Dan, I would preface this entire discussion by saying that, you know, Sam Ellinger declared Texas's back after their Sugar Bowl win last year, So we may we probably probably we may be able to omit this preview entirely and just move on to Kansas if you're install m. So, here's the thing with Texas, right, Yeah, I think consistency comes down to what can Tom Herman and Todd Orlando put together after losing eight senior starters on defense. I'm looking at defense first and foremost. The talent's there, but they're going to be super young. Linebackers are real question. Jeffrey mccallough really needs to have himself a year. Yeah, I'm cool with the safety situation. You know, I love Caden Stearns. We talked about him too, but they're going to be relying on a nice player. Oh yeah, three true sophomores at corner, which could be an issue, and it's just going.
Speaker 1: To be a tall order.
Speaker 2: By the way, they got to get better on third down defense as a whole. It sank all the way to one hundred and ninth in the nation last year. And keep in mind, this is a team that played a lot of close football games. Getting off the field on third down can really go a long way towards creating some breathing room. Mm hm. So I think that's where I stand on the whole Texas defense side of things. On the offensive side, they got to find a way to get more explosive. It was just not a running game issue. This was just a team that, for whatever reason, had a hard time generating chunk plays. They didn't have a single play over fifty yards last season if you can believe that same. Yeah, So the Sam Ellinger Colin Johnson connection is going to be really important this year. But I think there needs to be some other cog in the works that can help generate big plays. I don't know if it's Jake Smith. They're freshman wide out. A lot of folks are excited about him. Maybe he can step in and generate some spark as well.
Speaker 1: Sam Allen Dubernet, I think, I mean, he's shown flashes in the past.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, sure, But Jake Smith, I know, is a name just from reading that people are very excited about. Somebody's got to step in and someone's got to do something to help out Sam Ellinger. His numbers were absurd a year ago. I don't mean to diminish those at all, right, but he needs to get some help in any one of like eight different ways, not the least of which is the Running game.
Speaker 1: The Running Game. You're absolutely right, And I think Keanta Ingram was good enough to feel more confident than we've been able to in a couple of years. Oh yeah, for sure. But yes, you're right. So the load needs to be taken off of him. And we've seen and you know, It's not always accurate to say, Okay, well, if he throws this many times, they're in trouble. But when he went over thirty five times, he was either legitimately excellent and they needed every one of those throws, or it was a little bit worrisome that he was shouldering that level of things that they couldn't move the ball in. Like you mentioned, chunkier plays, thick and chunky plays. They need to be restaurant salsa tie. They need you have the spicy sound. They need to be thick and chunky with their plays. And I hope that they can get to that point because I mean, they appear to be the teams at the top of the conference when you mix talent and results something.
Speaker 2: They're right right there. But you're right, the question is on point. It is a matter of consistency, and I think it's a matter of being consistent all throughout the depth chart and in every facet of the game. Sam Ellinger, to your point, is way too valuable to the success of this team. He cannot finish with one hundred and sixty four rushing attempts like he did last year. You cannot finish with that many. It's just not sustainable. Tom Herman knows it. At Big twelve media Days, he said Techis is a power running team, and he tried. Last year they had the most rushing attempts in the conference, but still they tied for seventy sixth nationally in rushes of ten yards or more. So I don't know if it's key on to Ingram, if it's Jordan Whittingham, I don't know who's going to change that this year. But somebody's got to take the load off of Sam Ellinger or this is not going to work the way I think sam Ellinger thought it was going to work when he said that Texas is back. Yeah, still such a great short yardage weapon though, just his feel for space is so great around the goal line or on you know, third in inches stuff like that that I don't think they're going to fully take the ball out of his hands. But no, he had six sixteen rushing touchdowns last year, so he's a weapon down at the goal and he had forty one in total, only five interceptions over thirty two hundred passing yards.
Speaker 1: How's their schedule?
Speaker 2: Their schedule, there's only two games on the schedule where they're not favored at this Scouley juncture. That's the Red River shootout against Oklahoma, and then there's a big non conference game at home against LSU in Week two. Every other game, all ten of the other games, they should be favored. I don't know if they drop one of those here or there. I mean, who knows how the defense ends up playing? Like I said, they're young.
Speaker 1: Here's my question, Dan Prefaces. I am a big believer in loving teams who can put forth the best combination of quarterback play and defense. You know, it's great to have great running back, it's great to have great line, great to have receivers and whatever. Quarterback and defense. Quarterback and defense ultimately, to me, is the most attractive thing and feeling good about a complete team experience. Who is that team in the Big twelve quarterback and defense, quarterback and defense that you are feeling that they are our most aligned in being high level? Ah boy, I know I'm putting you on the spot, but I have my answer if you don't want to offer.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm looking at my teams. I've got the Texas teams in Kansas. Yes, it's I don't think it's from that grouping. It's not from this grouping. No, No, I think it's Iowa State. You could be right about that. Do you want to go there next?
Speaker 1: Chips? I would love to go there next because I watched a Okay, when I say a, I mean three uh mixtapes of rock Party today and I'm sweating just thinking about a.
Speaker 2: Time mixtapes of rock Party.
Speaker 1: So mixtapes of rock Party, and I'm feeling juiced.
Speaker 2: You've got the vapors for Brock Party.
Speaker 1: We all do.
Speaker 2: I'm excited about Brock Party had a really good freshman campaign. Mm hmm issue this year. David Montgomery the running back, and Hikeem Butler the receiver, are now both in the NFL. Collectively, they accounted for fifty three percent of Iowa State's offensive yardage from a year ago. I don't think Brock Party can replace all that on his own. It's going to have to fall on the lap of somebody else. The question is, how does Matt Campbell replace that kind of production?
Speaker 1: Right, No, it's a wonderful question, and I think it's the biggest one there is because of how strong they appear on defense, especially up front. The back end has Greg Eysworth at safety, who we mentioned total dude a few weeks ago when we did our preseason Dude watch list, So that is enormous. The great news is this with regard to David Montgomery, really good player, did so much for the team, was a leader, you know, bell cow in the backfield. Iowa State did not win on the ground. They did not produce on the ground. They were not even close to one of the Big twelve's better rushing team, let alone somebody who was to be looked at admirably in the country. They won through the air, and they won going to not exclusively, but a lot of the time to Keem Butler, who even when he wasn't catching the ball, was a gravitational player, you know, unlike many other receivers we saw last year. The good news for Iowa State is they're well coached. So even if they're not a lights out offense, even if they can't fully replace like you're asking me David Montgomery and hi Keeen Butler's production, they don't shoot themselves in the foot. They get off the field on third down. The schedule, yes is tough this year. Yes, they gave up too many big plays last year, but they were excellent in the red zone. They really did make a nice year out of Ben, but don't break especially after starting the year last year. What one in three they score three points against Iowa. I think that's a zeb Nolan game. Who was good against Oklahoma. They lose in a low scoring close game to TCU. Then they win seven of eight with Brock Purdy. They were essentially last year a chunk of grass and a gust of wind from going ten to two. And yes, I remember the Drake game. We've accepted it. It was not pretty. The camera lens fogged up, and we've moved forward. Quarterback is set, you know. I don't think running back is in a great place. Sheldon Crony is the name that's being thrown out. They'll be fine. But if he's only okay, I don't think that's any different than the production that they've gotten in years past. Tariq Milton had a really nice year. They had, they get an Arkansas transfer in the Michael Petway, de Chante Jones was good. The entire offensive line is back. My only real question about Iowa State has not a lot to do with Iowa State. It's that they're October is TCU at West Virginia at Texas Tech Oklahoma State a bye week before Oklahoma on the road, which is nice Texas, and they end with the Kansas schools. So they could again go eight and four or something like that and look like a ten to two team if they win those fifty to fifty games that you know, it was six three going into the fourth quarter against Iowa last year. You know TCU was obviously very close. I think they're the best combination. You know, you watch these clips of Rock Purty again and it's been months and months, and there's there's Johnny football to him. He's not as good as Johnny Manziel, but that style of playing Brocky football. I apologize for that. I'd take it all back.
Speaker 2: Wow, this is the cheese balls episode.
Speaker 1: I know it really is. So best case is Rock Perty's a Heisman caliber quarterback. The defense does even better against a somewhat neu Loik Big twelve. They win the close ones, and I think the best cases they go nine and three ten in a bit of a stretch.
Speaker 2: I can't even tell you right now to pump the brakes in Iowa State because really you.
Speaker 1: Have fully removed them. I cut those. I'm wheeling out of control, I am passing cars. I am yeah, there's there's smoke coming out, and I don't even care that I'm riding this poppy until it explodes.
Speaker 2: Who am I to rain on your Iowa State parade?
Speaker 1: So are you worst case scenario? Are you the worst case though?
Speaker 2: Are you picking Iowa State to finish better or worse in Oklahoma?
Speaker 1: I think there's just too much talent in Norman that they will do better surviving any defensive deficiencies they have because it's just Iowa State. While they're more experienced, especially upfront, they're probably you know, the team I like the best. If you're talking about a combination of offensive and defensive lines. I just if they can't handle two key injuries, they just can't in the way that Oklahoma probably can in most places other than perhaps quarterback. So I think because of depth, because of talent, Because that game is in Norman, I think I like Oklahoma just a little bit more than Iowa State. But I think I have Iowa State ahead of Texas. Oh, even Texas is on the road in mid November, Yes, sir, yes, sir. So worst case, worst case they again lose, they have Iowa at home this year so they again lose Syhawk and their road woes continue. They lose those fifty to fifty games and they go seven to five. That's worst case to me.
Speaker 2: You are high on Iowa State? Oh yes, sir, yeah, excellent. Where do you want to go next?
Speaker 1: I don't want to be on a fence here, ty No, I pushed it ships to the center.
Speaker 2: It's not quite a hot take, but it's just as it's a definitive, confident take.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you they were. It's a take that they were. Whatever I said, a sneeze away from ten to two, A couple sneezes. It's a take. It's a take. Okay, let's go. Let's go to TCU because I'm super hot and bothered by Iowa State. So let's bring the passion to your Okay, sorry, you want it, you know you want it. It seems the frogs have. I was trying to really find something positive about this quarterback room. But yeah, it's tough. It's sort of a B minus group battling it out for that job. Would love to be wrong, but it's you know, this guy's promising but has a terrible foot, or this guy came from Kansas State, he was beat out because he wasn't that good. Is there anything about TCU that has you confident about them as something beyond like just being a wild card like a thorn in two and a half team sides good teams? Okay, fair question.
Speaker 2: This is a challenging preview for me on a personal level because I'm always in on TCU and then they break my heart. TCU usually usually follows up a season like last year where they went six and six in the regular season with a ten or eleven wins season. Right, that's been their mo It's gonna be real hard for me to not jump back on that bandwagon, especially now that they've got seven starters back on offense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm full disclosure. I'll put that out there is one of them, Trevon Boykin.
Speaker 2: No, okay, it is not okay, And that's an issue. I don't know who's playing quarterback. They have a ton of options. The options range everywhere from Alex Delton who comes over from Kansas State, to Max who's a freshman. Yeah, almost doesn't matter who's playing. My guess is it's probably Alex Delton. Regardless. They got to get better in the passing game. They want to make that jump to ten or eleven wins, They got to get better in the passing game. The other thing they need to do is not get hurt. They were so banged up last year to the point literally where Gary Patterson was not even focusing on twenty eighteen, was focusing on getting ready for twenty nineteen. Did you know they were missing twenty two players going into the spring. They didn't even do a spring game because they were so banged up. They didn't even want to tempt fate. They just had a public practice. Oh man, what's how bad it was? Yeah, I'll walk through. But still, even despite all the injuries, they were the best in the conference on a per play and per game basis in terms of yardagellout. So they still play defense at TCU. They just really nicked up. Now, what does TCU need to do outside of the quarterback position if they want to be more than just that thorn. They've got a really great one two punch at running back Darius Anderson and a gentleman whose name I cannot say.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're talking about Shawo. I cannot say alonea lua I have gone on YouTube. I can't do it. It's Shawoh Shay.
Speaker 2: I know it's Shawo. I can hear it. I just can't say it alone Shawa shawoh. Shit, I can't even say the first thing. Shoo Alona Lua Shawo alone o Lua m hmm shawoh alonea Lua.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Between him and Darius Anderson, that's a really effective one two punch at running back. They got a couple guys back along the offensive line, but really just a ton of guys who got experienced last year because they got so many damn injuries.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm excited about this team this year. All right. I'm not fully in yet. Still got some turnover all on the defensive line. Got to replace Ty Summers in the linebacking corps, good secondary. I think they're going to be fine on defense. Gary Patterson knows how to coach defense. They got freaks on the Bruce Veldman freak list between your boys, Shawoh and Jeff Gladney, Jalen Reager, who we're.
Speaker 1: Going to talk about. But I am in on TCU. I'm in on him this year. Here's what I think the TCU offense should be. Whoever wins that job, Max Duggan or Alex Delton or if Justin Rodgers, you know, is able to heal and recover. You walk up to the line of scrimmage and you get off. Quarterback job is to identify where the mic linebacker is, the middle linebacker, and sort of sort out the defense from there. Point right at the middle linebacker and you say, we're not passing the Jalen reagor this down, and then you do, and then you do the old one two switcheroo. I think that's the best way psychle you can go about their psychological warfare. Twenty fourteen, twelve and one, twenty fifteen eleven and two. Wow, everything's going well. Let's not talk about the bowl game after twenty fifteen twenty it's never happened. Never happened to me. The Alamo Bowl is a bowl had happened some years TCUGO six and seven, eleven and three, seven and six. So they've been flip flopping since twenty fifteen double digit wins and then bowl eligibility ish. So this year would be a double digit win year if everything universe wise checks out. I don't think it's the case. But can they be led with a really good pass defense and creative offense, maybe they rejigger some things offensively and go eight and four, nine and three. I think it's within the realm. It's within the realm.
Speaker 2: Here's the other thing. Yeah, I have never been able to figure out Alex Delton. I like their offensive line a lot, by the way, as well.
Speaker 1: I like their line.
Speaker 2: They've got guys back, Lucas Niang all good. I could never figure out Alex Dalton when he was at K State.
Speaker 1: Never.
Speaker 2: I always underestimated him, and I know that in the early going here they're pretty high on his ability to throw the ball, implying that maybe we didn't see what he has to bring fully to the equation because he wasn't afforded that opportunity at K State.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't know if Alex dalt have.
Speaker 2: If Alex Dalton is a starter at TCU this year, it will really be the cherry on top of a preview that I am already uncomfortable with and am not willing to offer a definitive take on.
Speaker 1: I am ready to declare Alex Delton not great, not great. I hope he's great this year. That'd be really cool, because that would mean TCU is all of a sudden another competitive team on top of the near the top of the big twelve. I have figured him out, and I'm I'm not crazy encouraged, but I hope I'm wrong. All Right, Dan, we mentioned K State, Let's talk about K State. They've got Chris mm hmm. I think that's right.
Speaker 2: Comes over from North Dakota State, a program you and I know well.
Speaker 1: Intimately. He comes over after being recruited by Gene Taylor.
Speaker 2: He was formerly the athletic director at North Dakota State, now at K State. Longer term you're looking at this, I think the goal would be to implement some kind of North Dakota State model.
Speaker 1: Which is what which is let's fine time well.
Speaker 2: Winning all the time, sure, but find the guys who go unrecruited in that part very regionally, recruit well, find guys that fit your system, maybe that don't get into some bigger schools, and establish K State as the place for those kids to go.
Speaker 1: It's worked very well for North Dakota State.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Shorter term though, m hm. Shorter term.
Speaker 2: What's the transition look like from Bill Snyder now to Chris Climan.
Speaker 1: I gotta get better on offense. They have to get better. They they were off the field real quick, a lot of they were not great on third down, they were not great in the red zone, they didn't generate big plays. And a couple of years ago they were Skyler Thompson's the guy. As we mentioned Alex Delton in Fort Worth. I don't think it was great in the old system. Maybe things are revolutionized. It's running back by committee. After Alex Barnes goes to the NFL. You know, Dalton Showan has been there for a little bit, and he was he was impressive. I want to say he's a former walk on, but I want to say that about everybody in Kansas State. I think when you go to twenty four to seven, it's just as former walk on next to everybody in their class. Their defensive line should be strong, linebackers should be all right, secondary decent, noticeable losses there. And you mentioned the recruiting is is that that's the model of finding under recruited guys. Filling your depth chart with grit and determination, and you know, perhaps guys who have the frame to grow, but come in, you know, underweight, you know, six two one eighty, and so suddenly they become six two two twenty by the time they leave it at outside linebacker or something. Recruitings going well. They're getting top thirty top forty guys at their positions around, whether it's Kansas or Oklahoma or Texas. I don't know how strongly they're going to follow the junior college model that Bill Snyder did. It's very early to say. Obviously, there's a lot of junior colleges in Kansas to pick from, but I think the outlook is pretty positive long term. I like Scottie Hazelton. I thought that was a really nice higher defensive coordinator. You know, he's in that tree, that coaching tree. He was at Wyoming with Craig Boll. Schedule wise, they're in a good ish place. They have Mississippi State, they go back to Starkville. I think it's week three, they go to Stillwater. The November is pretty tough. They're at Texas. They have West Virginia at Texas Tech, and Iowa State. They were not that far away from being a wild card last year. TCU, Baylor, Iowa State, Texas were all real close and winnable at moment moments, and I think they can get to seven and five this year. I think when you have an improved I mean, if you are able to maintain the discipline so they didn't shoot themselves in the foot they were Obviously it's a Bill Snyder team. They're well coached. They're gonna, you know, to grind out wins. If they're able to maintain that and then get something offensively. I think they're seven and five, eight and fourteen. Worst case they're overhauling everything and they're five and seven again or something like that. But I think the variance is pretty wide, and if they can keep recruiting at this clip, I know their class is pretty much already put together. I'm feeling very good. The North Dakota State model that you mention is different in the Big twelve because they were able to rely on guys in Wisconsin and Minnesota and in the Dakota's And I know there are other really good FCS schools in the you know, North Dakota, South Dakota and Northern Iowa, stuff like that, but in that general area, if you were a pretty good player but not Big ten level and maybe borderline mac and you were from Minnesota, Wisconsin, and maybe you want it to be a big fish in a slightly smaller pond, you see Carson. What's the Carson Wentz. That's the guy the NFL get drafted in top one to two pick whatever. Maybe that's attractive to you. It's different down in Kansas when the best players can or borderline players can still go to Texas Tech, they can still go to Baylor, they can go to TCU, and they're not necessarily as attracted to Kansas State. I hope it's not the case, but I think that model is going to be a little bit more difficult to replicate.
Speaker 2: It's going to have to be tweaked. It can't be the same where you're recruiting from northern Minnesota. That's not great work but feel good. But can it be tweaked? Can it be modified so that it works in that part of the country. I think absolutely.
Speaker 1: If you're able to put together sound game plans, if you're able to teach your team effectively, if you're able to get buy in every week, even if you start zero to three, you're gonna win a lot more often than you're not. In a pretty wide open conference, which right now, given Oklahoma's defense, given questions about Texas, all think Kansas is Kansas State's competing for the conference. But you can win more often than not. Like the move. I like it, I do im in I am as well. Where are we going next? All right, let's go, let's go to Tech. Let's go to another new coach. Let's go to Lubbock because it's been far too long without mentioning British comedy legen Alan Bowman and his ceiling, which I think is sky high. I mean, I'm kind of jealous that you are the one to talk about Texas Tech. They hire Matt Wells. He's not an air raid guy as obviously Mike Leach and Brave Tommy Homer and then Cliff Kingsbury were Cliffy Cliff Kingsbury. But the pieces are in place, quarterback, receiver, just offensive skill in general, improve defense to go. I'm not gonna say seamlessly, but kind of seamlessly from one one pass happy system to another and and keep progressing all around. Do you do you think that's true? Or is this a full reboot in the in the vision of Matt Wells, this is this is not a reboot.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is not a reboot like you might see elsewhere when you get a new coach. I think the offense is actually going to be similar enough to what they ran last season, which is good news for your boy, for our boy, Bridge Comedy legend Allen Bowman moment. He was outstanding as a freshman last year. He actually led the nation in passing before he suffered that collapsed along. Now, so this is a kid who's got a ton of talent. I think you're gonna see a lot of the same concepts. I think you're gona see a lot of tempo this year, and I think it suits the offense well. Now, they need to stay healthy out wide, they really do. They need to find a way to get TJ Vasher the ball. He's the six to sixth beast of a wideout who's a matchup advantage every time and he's on the field. And then there are other names you should listen for. Excuse me, Seth Collins, Kashawn Carter, he's a burner. We've got a red shirt freshman. Another guy can't say, I'm gonna try Eric Azukenma.
Speaker 1: I don't have it in front of me. So you did an a plus job. I'm just steering into it.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I have a hard time with some of these.
Speaker 2: Then we've got to transfer McLean Mannix, who put up stats at Nevada the line, the line has the most returning starts.
Speaker 1: In the Big twelve.
Speaker 2: You wrap that all together, Dan, and this should be a really high powered offense. Again, moving away from Cliff Kingsbury, moving towards now Matt Wells. Maybe not an air raid guy, but he's passionate. He's trying to change the culture. He's really trying to build in this sense of accountability, all the sorts of things that you hear from a new head football coach. But I think it all plays very nicely into a young core of players that are coming back for twenty nineteen. So offense, offensively, they should be I think pretty outstanding. The defensive side of the ball is where I texted you or why I texted you. There was a line in not one, but many of the Texas Tech previews that I read Keith Patterson, new defensive coordinator, talking about guys getting ready to play a more aggressive attacking style.
Speaker 1: Aggressive attacking.
Speaker 2: I love it, yeah, of course, and if you're a Texas Tech fan you should love it too. Utah State, where Patterson comes from, along with Matt Wells, had thirty two takeaways last year that was tied for best in the nation. They've got a really good pass rusher, and Eli Howard had fifteen hurries and nine sacks as a sophomore. I think they're trying to build better on defense. It might take them a little bit to get there, but this is a good team. This is a good team. I'm excited about Texas Tech. They've got road games against Oklahoma and Texas, which isn't great m h. Otherwise, though, the schedule's okay. Early on, Tech has Montana State UTEP and then a road game against Arizona.
Speaker 1: Pretty good, although I think Arizona's gonna be okay this year.
Speaker 2: Arizona might be okay this year. Yeah, a lot of offense in that game, to say the least. Otherwise, though, you know, there's a road game against West Virginian there, it could be tricky. I guess West Virginia is sort of a piece of definite. Yeah, And obviously a lot of the teams we're talking about in the Big Twelve should be I think improved. But as it stands, the schedule isn't as bad as it could be. The over under for Tech right now sits at six.
Speaker 1: I love the over there, do you okay, So that would be this is me speaking, not you, Montana State, U TEP, Kansas YEP, Kansas State, West Virginia, Baylor, that's six. That's six. Arizona would be seven. I think they beat Arizona, Dan, I don't know. That's tough. Arizona's defense is putrid. It is bad. It is very bad. In Utah State because you mentioned, you know, David Yost at offensive coordinator who's had success both at Missouri and I think he was a receivers coach for Mike Leach at Washington State and then Utah State last year. Will not talk about his one year at Oregon. They finished eighth in the country in offensive points per drive, no garbage time, and eleventh on defense because you mentioned the aggressive attacking Keith Patterson, so encouraging that they got to that point that even if Texas Tech is not fully formidable this year, that twenty twenty one, Wow, this is this is a more complete Texas Tech team than we've seen in a long time. Would be something we might say.
Speaker 2: If Alan Bowman stays healthy, yeah, this could be a dynamic offense.
Speaker 1: And that I asked you a question, Yes, so I was looking up the quarterbacks from twenty eighteen who both against their conference opponents, led the nation in either rating or yards per attempt. As you might imagine, it was Kyler Murray into a tongue of a top that list. Do you have a guess?
Speaker 2: Be it?
Speaker 1: I don't know, Will Greer, Dwayne Haskins, whoever? Who is number three? I don't know. Is it kJ Costello?
Speaker 2: Maybe?
Speaker 1: Is it Derek King, British comedy legend, Alan Bowman. It's not British comedy legend Alan Bowman. I don't know if he had enough stats to qualify enough games started. It's Brock party. Yeah, it's Brock party. So the break said, I just wanted to I wanted to circle right on back to Ames Iowa, Daniel. Let's go to West Virginia.
Speaker 2: Okay, new coaches here, your boy Brown from Troy, my guy. He is switching up the defense from a three three five to more of a hybrid y four two front four two five sort of yeah, right, sort of. Two questions on this A does West Virginia have the personnel to make the switch? And then B can they be better on defense because of it? In twenty nineteen, because that's really been an Achilles Hill for them as well.
Speaker 1: Sort of yes, I mean Tony Gibson I thought did a really nice job bringing West Virginia from pretty bad to pretty dangerous a couple of years ago, three four years ago. Last year they were not good. Last year they struggled. The good news is, I think, given what he runs and where he happened to be coaching these past few years, Vic Caning is potentially a very very good fit for what West Virginia is going to be transitioning sort of to, because he kind of already also runs a three three five. He's pretty multiple upfront. Sometimes it's a three man front, sometimes it's a four man front. And my guy, VIC loves a good hybrid player nickname. I think he's got a spear. I think he's got a bandit. There's all sorts of names for players. I think there's got a hybrid outside linebacker safety who I believe is the spear and the bandit is the hybrid linebacker defensive end who plays pretty close to the line of scrimmage under vicating at Troy, who comes with Neil Brown to West Virginia. They were very very good against the run, which who knows how much. That fully means in the Big Twelve, they were decent against the pass, They generated turnovers, their havoc great was through the roof. He's everything I would want in a transitioning defense in the Big twelve. Essentially, he's been around. He was in Illinois, he was at North Carolina. He's coached a number of places. I think he interviewed. Where did he interview recently? I think Oklahoma State I saw and they ultimately hired Jim Knowles. So he's a big name that if West Virginia can generate havoc, if they can continue what Troy was doing in the air as I want to say, the best passing team in the Sun Belt last year. You know it's a new quarterback in Austin Kendall would probably be nicer if Will greor we're back, but it's not the case. Austin Kendall is the probable starter. The Oklahoma transfer Kennedy McCoy is back, a strong all purpose running back, pretty big hit at receiver. TJ. Simmons is the big new name there. I don't love their line, but you asked about defense. The defensive line is in good shape. There are bodies, there is it the deepest. I don't know, but there are bodies along the defensive line that I think can get it done. And Reek Havoc linebacker is thin, but they get healthier there and they've shown a good amount of promise there defensive back. Okay, I can't fully say they're really good. After watching them play against Oklahoma last year. They didn't. You know, Ed Reid is not going to be starting in center field for West Virginia, said the sports talk radio. But as for your question, do they have the manpower? Do they have the ability? I don't think they're transitioning in a dramatic way. Defensively, I like vacaining. I like the transition. If Austin Kendall is really good and the defense can get off the field pretty quickly, it's be a good team. They went eight and three last year. They lose that shootout to Oklahoma. They gave away the Oklahoma State game. I think it was three touchdowns in the fourth quarter. They give up. They just regressed. And so if they're able to play more disciplined, if Austin Kendall is good, if the defense is wreaking havoc eight and fourteen, you know it's a nice first year given how well they've recruited skill position guys and where they are defensively. Worst case scenario, it takes some time to install on both both sides of the ball. It is a tough non conference schedule. They go to Missouri and they have NC State. They have a tough October stretch with Texas, Siowa State, and Oklahoma in Norman. It could be a six and six, five and seven type year, one mucky kind of year, mucky. It could be mucky. I am leaning towards they're a bowl team that I was. I've been low on West Virginia in years past, where you've been higher. I think they're a bowl team for sure. I just like the fact that they got a Neil Brown and be Austin Kendall. Yeah. Bringing Austin Kendall over should help. Oh, it absolutely should help. And you know, they they were bad in the bowl game against Syracuse, but they didn't start Will Greer. You know, losing guys who've been around forever like David Sills and on both sides of the ball. But I think they're okay. I think they're gonna be all right. I think they're gonna be I mean, listen, if they just clean up, you know, allowing huge plays and giving and giving up stupid penalty yardage, they're better. They're just they're already better. So I feel pretty good I have.
Speaker 2: I have a high degree of confidence that Neil Brown will be better at building an all around team than Dana Holgerson, which was yeah, lopsided offense being dynamic most years, and defense being hit or miss right.
Speaker 1: And I believe I'm googling this as we speak, though. Good connection. Tony Gibson, the longtime defense coordinate at West Virginia, is now running the defense at NC State, who West Virginia has early on. So familiarity there, circle of life. Okay, where are we going next? All right, let's go to Baylor. How about that. Let's go to Baylor, who had a pretty promising year last year.
Speaker 2: You want to talk about cutting the brakes out from Iolas to God. Let's talk about my Baylor Bears.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about your Baylor Bears. Yea, their competitive last year, they won a bowl game. Last year, they find a quarterback for sure. Last year. They're ahead of where I think a lot of people thought they'd be given the talent drain in Waco. They're still not. It doesn't seem particular really deep in a in a pretty open, big twelve middle class. But does that matter?
Speaker 2: Does it?
Speaker 1: Does it make it easier given the changes at West Virginia, Kansas, Kansas State to uh who my in Texas Tech to maybe uh to find eight wins?
Speaker 2: I have a lot to say about Bailey this year, Dan, all right, I'm gonna sit down a lot to say about the Baylor Bears. The most important thing to remember is something you touched on. Matt Rule is still building this program. He had to basically raise the whole thing and start fresh. So you're gonna read You're still gonna read a lot about you know, trying to find the right starting.
Speaker 1: Five quote unquote, or.
Speaker 2: You know, depth issues along the defensive front, or guys switching positions to find where they might be able to contribute. All that stuff is is very much in line with I think what you'd expect given the starting point that Matt Rule had Here. They're all really young, which is another thing to keep in mind, So temper what I'm about to say accordingly, Okay, I think this team is positioned really well, really well to continue improving you know where I stand on Charlie Brewer at quarterback. Let's start there. But you talked about him a couple of weeks ago. Last year had a one thirty eight QB rating, just nine interceptions in three hundred and ninety attempts as a sophomore.
Speaker 1: I really like him.
Speaker 2: I really like Denzel Mims out wide. The line is the work in progress. That's a work in progress.
Speaker 1: That's a rough line.
Speaker 2: That's a rough line. They're still trying to mix and match and find the right combination there. They're going to get better. It's not saying much because they gave up the most sacks in the Big Twelve two years running. But I don't think they can get any worse. I don't think offense is going to be an issue here. I really do think they're going to be fine on offense. Watch out for Trestan Ebner in the backfield. Junior running back Chris Platt is back at wide receiver. He's a six year senior. He's going to get some work. And Matt Rule's really excited about Josh Fleeks out wide. He only had fourteen catches as a freshman last year, but they're talking about him as some sort of dynamic playmaker.
Speaker 1: To me, we should make a list of players that coaches are excited about, and they're excited about all. Revisit all the players.
Speaker 2: The problem that they need to solve most immediately is playmaking on defense, because last season they forced only ten turnovers all year.
Speaker 1: Long, and that's not going to be random. We can be random.
Speaker 2: It relies on luck, no doubt, but ten turnovers in one season is not good enough. Secondly, they allowed twenty five touchdowns of thirty or more yards and eighteen touchdowns of forty or more yards DAN, So it's not just a turnover playmaking, it's just stopping the big plays from happening. They got to get better to do with that. I don't know if they rely on their linebacking corps to help guide them through that. That's really the one position of depth on that defense. But they got to find some way to solve that riddle because it killed them killed them last year. There was a lot of good on that defense, just a couple plays here and there, a lot of plays here and there that were bad news. The schedule is backloaded big time into November. They're at TCU, They've got Oklahoma and Texas all in November. I saw one game by game projection that had Baylor at nine and three. That feels a little generous to me, really really generous to me. I think eight and four. Eight and four is realistic. Eight and four, if I'm being really optimistic, is where I come down on this team. There is plenty of room to move down on that scale if you so desire. But I'm going to be very optimistic on Baylor this year because I like Charlie Brewers so much. I like Matt Rule as a football coach so much. Eight and four, I'm gonna go real optimistic with the Bears.
Speaker 1: I know this is a good thing. If this this is happening, it speaks well of your coach and his ability. I mean, are you are you banking on long term mat Rule and Waco?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I mean, is he the Houston Texans coach next year? Is he you know, the Arizona Cardinals if Cliffy is a disaster? Is he in Washington or Buffalo like that?
Speaker 2: He is?
Speaker 1: Yes, he talked to the Colts. Reportedly, he talked to the Colts. It's it's well known. I think at this point that Matt Ruhle is willing to listen, right, and no, perhaps sign an offered contract. Yeah, I am not.
Speaker 2: I am not at all banking on him long term, but right, I think he's a really good football coach and he's done a good job guiding Bailor through this rough patch. Here. Just take that on its face. I like I like their youth. I like the fact that they play hard. I like the fact that it seems as if they're getting better, and carry that forward now to twenty nineteen that I.
Speaker 1: Think could mean eight wins.
Speaker 2: Where do you want to go, Daniel, I want to talk about the final team on your side here, Okay, let's talk about Oklahoma State.
Speaker 1: Yes, new quarterback this year? Play the spicy sound please.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you bite into a wing and it's super duper spicy. Sometimes that's a good thing. Sometimes are like, oh, this is interesting flavor and all. But they're using a different kind of chili pepper and there's good crunch to it and there's like an interesting after burn. I'm using weird lingo to discuss something that ultimately is going to come back to Oklahoma State football. But sometimes you just bite into something and it's spicy and you're like, well, this is just burning. Oklahoma State can go a number of directions this year in terms of spice. They can go in the oh damn. Sean Gleeson is a revelation for this offense. You know, as good as Mike Yersick was, which he was excellent, you look at what Mason Rudolph did and Justice Hill and you know Junkyard, Jim Washington, all these guys who put up enormous yards and won huge games. I think Sean Lison offers something a little bit different, and I think there's more creativity. I think there's a little bit of Chris Peterson to him with tempo spread. I think there's that kind of you know, playing forty called forty chess, is that you're forty forty?
Speaker 2: Do you know?
Speaker 1: You know how?
Speaker 2: I know that you're excited what Olahoma State? Yeah, you didn't even let me ask my question. I know, so I'm just gonna lest play here talk to me about Oklahoma State. I think you're very excited about them, aren't you.
Speaker 1: No? I am, well, I am because I finally sat down and watched some clips of Princeton football, where he was the offensive coordinator of these past couple of years. And he could bring something really really interesting to the Big twelve, something pretty not novel, but wrinkles that that would be pretty exciting to watch. So I assume your question is something in the way of what are they going to look like on offense or what's what's the impact going to be something with that.
Speaker 2: New quarterback, new offensive coordinator, new offensive line coach. Yeah, what does all that mean for Oklahoma State? What does it mean for the offense that we know and love and are used to seeing, And how much different, if at all, will it look.
Speaker 1: So a recent headline I saw was two quarterback system question mark coaches are saying it's a possibility, oh boy, And that would be Drew Brown, who set out last year five eleven. They thought he was gonna win the job last year. He's he's not huge about five to eleven. But the transfer from Hawaii who's played a lot, and then Spencer Sanders, red shirt freshman, big arm, you know, a big, big recruit. I really hope it doesn't go in that direction. I really hope they don't go with what I considered to be the equivalent of an open marriage. We're like, this makes sense, Let's see what we got and then just like in practice, like, oh, this is a nightmare. So I whoever wins the job is going to have a very good running back next to them, behind them whatever in Cuba Howard Cuba Hubbard. Excuse me, I think that's auto correct. My notes corrected Hubbard to Howard. Sure Tylan Wallace maybe the best receiver. I mean, Ceedee Lamb is, you know, huge Jalen Rager, but Tylan Wallace is, in the conversation best receiver. I think he was a Bolittannikov finalist along with Dylan Stoner. They have a lot of interesting skill They've They've recruited receiver very well. The offensive line is experienced dot dot dot, but not great. It's one of those things where like, okay, I can learn from their past mistakes they have. They have a new offensive line coach, Charlie Dickey comes over from Kansas State. He's a long time Bill Snyder guy. You know, year after year with this offense at at Oklahoma State with Mike Yersick, they put up a ton of huge plays. I imagine that's going to continue. It seems likely that it'll continue. So what is it going to look like They're gonna be they're gonna spread out, They're gonna hunt for mismatches. There's gonna be a lot of motion before the snap. They're gonna play with pace. There's gonna be a lot of red zone creativity. I saw a wild Princeton play from a couple of years ago where it was like a jet sweep, fake run path, I don't know whatever was It was great, some real creativity down near the goal line. I think it's going to take some time. I think the verbiage, I think the comfort in the offense is going to take some time to get comfortable. But ultimately I think it's a pretty wise investment. So what's it going to look like? At times really friggin fun, other times against some of the better defenses in the conference, kind of ugly and off the field pretty quickly. Ultimately, again, I'm very excited about the potential of Sean Gleeson. In Oklahoma State. This was you know, we talk about the allue between offense and defense. The defense did an okay job of getting off the field because of their pass rush, but they were awful against the run. Tie no, And if you were going to leave the offense on the sideline because a team is just pumping out six yard run after six yard run, and it's not great. So they need to get a lot better. Inside on defense was the worst rush defense in the Big Twelve last year, which was sort of strange because if you remember, they shut down Boise State Madison Avenue, but they just collapsed. They fully collapsed again. The pass rush was fine. The big plays have to have to go. Me turnover margin has to get better. I just man, there's so it can go in so many directions. I'm very excited for this season. Give me a win total, give me a take all. Right, the best case for Oklahoma State, they're probably going nine to three best case, which is an incredible bounce back year. A quarterback works out, the offense clicks quickly. That's a nice non conference schedule. Even if the defense is only okay against the run, that's an improvement. Worst case, neither Drew Brown or Spencer Sanders really clicking the offense right away. It's inconsistent. The defense is still leaky against the run. Six and six, seven and five again, So I think there's pretty high variants, and in a pretty wide open conference to have you know, a lot returning including a a gravitational big play receiver in Tylan Wallace. It's a it's a significant leg up. All right, damn, are you looking forward to this Oklahoma State team? I? Yes, I went through.
Speaker 2: I probably didn't read as much about Oklahoma State as you did, right, But everything that I read twenty two boom or bust. Yeah, to your point, it could go a bunch of different directions. So I have a tremendous amount of confidence in Mike Gundy to assemble the pieces. Okay, he'd been very consistent in his time at Oklahoma State. I think he'll find a way to get the job done. But there are a lot of unknowns here.
Speaker 1: What does that mean getting the job done? Flirting with double digit wins getting the job done? Yeah, So the losses have to come somewhere. We have We definitely have one team that we've not talked about that is going to generate a lot of losses.
Speaker 2: I believe they're the last one on our list here.
Speaker 1: Because we're talking about I said Kansas State, I had as a worst case scenario about four and eight. That's the absolute bottom to me for Kansas State. The other teams that I've had as not Bowl eligible, I think I mentioned five and seven with West Virginia Oklahoma State I have as Bowl eligible pretty much no matter what, and obviously with Oklahoma I do as well. Who do you have as a worst case of the teams that you have previewed other than Kansas we're about to talk about. Who do you think you know? Ending up going home at the end of or at the beginning of December is a real possibility? Baylor TCU. Do you think TCU is bottoming out a little bit after the cheese At Bowl?
Speaker 2: Do you?
Speaker 1: I don't think. I don't think they're going to bottom out. Okay, I have a lot of confidence in TCU. I think five and seven Texas Tech. I think five and seven Texas Tech is a possibility. I could see things going sideways for Baylor if they get injuries. Yeah, I mean Matt Wells definitely had a couple of pretty disappointing years Utah SED eight.
Speaker 2: But it's not happening to Texas. I don't think it's happened to PCU. Okay, the others. You could make a case for.
Speaker 1: It wide variants absolutely, Okay, final team. Shower your Kansas questions upon me, please, Okay, I'm not a big believer in Kansas. I don't know if you have there, you should not be. I don't know if you have it. Okay, if Kansas is able to shock somebody or make you change the channel to is this the Big twelve on ESPN plus this year? Who knows? If they're suddenly along the bottom line of Fox Sports or ESPN. You're like, Kansas is up thirty one to thirty with seven minutes left. Why will that be the case against a Big twelve opponent? What is it about this year's Kansas squad? You're like, well, I'm not going to win much. First off, what was the score? You just said, thirty one thirty.
Speaker 2: It will never be thirty one thirty. Kansas is in the Oh my god.
Speaker 1: That means it's definitely going to be thirty one thirty.
Speaker 2: It will never be thirty one thirty. It's going to have to be low scoring, and it's going to have to be against a team that struggles in the front seven. Because the only way that that is possible is and this, by the way, is the most less miles thing possible to say, the only way that that happens is if they feed the beast. That is Pucka Williams Junior a million times. He actually has a fairly experienced line to run behind. Doesn't mean they're great, but he's got some experience in front of him. He's going to get a healthy workload this year. They're going up against some team that has a hard time defending it and less Miles is able to play ball control offense, and that's how the game is closely.
Speaker 1: It's the only way should mention Pooka Williams back from a suspension I missed six or seven months. He's out the first game of the year. It was a domestic battery charge that he I think he's in a diversion program. Missed the WAGA. Yeah. The way I hear you describing Kansas is when one of those videos goes viral of a senior citizen just nailing jump shots where they're just hitting eighteen footer after eighteen footer. Nobody's guarding them, right, you know, everything is set up for a really nice environment. So that's what you're telling me. They're going to have to win a game in the snow, going against a fifth string quarterback. The conditions are optimal. Somebody gets Charlie Brewer gets hurt.
Speaker 2: It's going to have to be some combination of events that is unfortunate for the opponent. And I think relies a lot on Pooka Williams Junior.
Speaker 1: But that's it.
Speaker 2: Really, that's it. This is not going to be a good Kansas team. The big story in Lawrence is that Les Miles is the new coach. He's assembled the cast of characters on the coaching staff that aren't exactly hot commodities. Les Kennig, formerly of Duke Houston, Alabama, Texas A and M South Alabama, Mississippi State.
Speaker 1: And UAB, so he's gotten around.
Speaker 2: And then Dj Elliott on the defensive side of the ball Kentucky and Colorado wasn't great no, most recently, but he will be your new defensive coordinator. So, you know, Les Miles is the story. It's great to have him back in college football. He's going to bring with him a sense of personality and a flair and commentary that only Less Miles can provide on the football field. I am far less convinced, and I'm curious to see if he can do more than just hand the ball off to Pooka Williams.
Speaker 1: You know, I mean, you've you've purchased a TV in recent years, right, I have? What's that? What's a huge selling point for new TVs? What is something about the picture that people are really looking for, especially like cinophiles, people super into the ice you need.
Speaker 2: To get I don't know if they're up to eight K now, but the resolution at a minimum, you need to get a four K TV if you're going.
Speaker 1: To go new What is it about color that's crucial? But you're asking really, you're asking some color blind here. But yeah, but you want deep black, right, you want the deep black. That's why I went with an old read. Right, you want with an O lead because it has that deep black, and so if you set that that black tone at a certain depth, then everything really pops, right, That's right? Yeah. I think this applies to Less Miles hair coloring. I think the deeper and richer the color he goes with, I think if he can get to that, there's certain paints that are like the darkest, darkest black possible. I think if he can get that involved in his look by twenty twenty, okay, they can go to a bowl game. The darker his hair, the better.
Speaker 2: Kansas Football were talking about less Miles. Here is what I think I'm hearing.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying for a goth reason. I'm not saying for the full like dark look, no, okay, I'm just saying his hair color has varied so much over the years. He had like a sandy copper era. It's darker than ever now, which I love. I think I think he has to go even darker. We're also Kansas has to go full o lead.
Speaker 2: We're also in the era of less Miles wearing that pancake makeup in the old Capital one commercials?
Speaker 1: Was it Capital One?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: I have no idea.
Speaker 2: I don't remember what that commercial series is for. Yeah, but the pancake makeup was a bit ominous.
Speaker 1: Puka Williams oh lead depth for less Miles. Yeah, I mean this is going to take a while. If if less Miles is more about improving Kansas fully, you know, getting back to how much he was respected for a time at LSU as a as a really good coach. He's not gonna be really recruit like he was at LSU. He's not gonna be on the stage like he was at LSU. But if he is the guy to keep hiring and keep recruiting and build the talent level up, take advantage of some uncertainty, if you know, things go sideways for for West Virginia and Texas Tech and Oklahoma State and Kansas State, whoever, if he's there building a solid program, if he can get them to wherever Kansas State was averaging at. I know that sounds like insulting for for Kansas fans, probably Kansas State fans. If he can get them to that, if you get them the seven wins a year, my god, heroic, don't think it's gonna happen. Dan, It's gonna be a while. It's gonna be a while. I just well, he's the guy.
Speaker 2: Let me close out with this, Okay, Okay, I'm gonna put together a hypothetical proposition bet for you you get either Homo or the group of Texas, Oklahoma State, and Iowa State to win the Big Twelve in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 1: Which side of that better you're taking. I mean, you're essentially giving me Oklahoma or the field, right essentially? Yeah, I'm taking the field for sure. There are ways for things to go wrong. There are more ways for things to go wrong with a single school than there are for everybody else. All screwing up to me. All right, you're giving me odds. I mean, you're just the odds are that with ten teams and teams that Oklahoma has lost too recently in Texas and Iowa state. Yeah, I'm going to struggled with at times.
Speaker 2: I've got a homemade spreadsheet where I calculate points per drive. Yeah, I am playing the probability of this.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And you know how I feel about Brock Party Dwayne the Brock Johnson. Yeah, I know it's okay. Really, TI go on YouTube type in b r ockp U R d Y and you will fall in love. Just party like a brockstar. You know how it is. I would He's America sweetheart, all right?
Speaker 2: Well as always right in It's Oliverblegmail dot com or anywhere on social media. Go comment about the show out on the subreddit, reddit dot com, slash r slash solid verbal. Let us know what we got right, what we got wrong, Where you agree disagree, It all goes with the territory. But we are now officially in preview mode. Our next episode is going to drop on Sunday. We will be talking about the PAC twelve. Dan's got the North. Obviously, I've got the South. We are going to continue attacking every conference in this fashion. And by the way, for those of you who have asked the important question, why was it Notre Dame part of the ACC that's my fault. We're gonna lump them in with their geographic peers that are in the Big ten.
Speaker 1: Mac Oh what what? I also want to do some G five stuff as we get closer to the season. We'll do G two we have to. Yeah, we'll do some G five stuff too. Ye who's in the Because you asked me about champion Oklahoma versus the field, who's in the championship game?
Speaker 2: To you, I it's Oklahoma Texas, Oklahoma Texas. Yeah, okay, it's the easy answer, but I think that's the right answer. Oklahoma Iowa State could happen.
Speaker 1: And that's not great because there's a good chance, you know, Iowa State, if they're in that game, they go in, you know, maybe they lose to Iowa and they're nine and three and all of a sudden, you have a ten and three Big twelve champion and whoop, no playoff. Oh well, don't.
Speaker 2: Forget if you haven't already gotten tickets to the show that we're going in Dallas Soliverblltickets dot com, Slash Texas.
Speaker 1: We're gonna start editing our bank of fantasy. Yess we do.
Speaker 2: I need to start adding to it as well, please do. We've also got a live show in DC soliverbill Tickets dot com, Slash DC August the seventeenth, August eighteenth.
Speaker 1: We are planning.
Speaker 2: Emails are flying back and forth, not just between you and I, but also with the venues, the people going to the shows. We're gonna bring our boy Taylor along with us to both places. Going to be an extravaganza. Get you ready for college football season in the funnest way. We know. Possible tenders, with tenders and with our fantasy things.
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, that's all I got. It's all I got as well. Thank you for bearing with.
Speaker 2: Us here as we talked about all things Big twelve.
Speaker 1: We will be back on Sunday.
Speaker 2: In the meantime, enjoy the rest of your week, enjoy the beginning part of your weekend, and until next time, stay solid peace,