Speaker 1: If you enjoy the Bloomberg Surveillance podcast, check out our new daily news program, the Bloomberg Daybreak Podcast. It gives you the day's top stories with context in just fifteen minutes. Look for it in your podcast feed by six am Eastern every morning. Subscribe on Apple, Spotify and anywhere else you get your podcasts, and stay tuned for a sample of today's edition of Bloomberg Daybreak at the very end of this podcast. This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. I'm Tom Keene, along with Jonathan Farrow and Lisa Abramowitz. Join us each day for insight from the best and economics, geopolitics, finance and investment. Subscribe to Bloomberg Surveillance on demand on Apple, Spotify and anywhere you get your podcasts, and always on Bloomberg dot Com, the Bloomberg Terminal, and the Bloomberg Business App. Right now, what we're gonna do is do what Bloomberg Surveillance does best, which give you an informed debate on the issues at hand. Lisa Bramwinson, Tom King, John Pharaoh and Assignment and joining us now is Adam Posen. He's president of the Peterson Institute for International economics. He's one of our great American scholars on Germany, and far more than that, had a tour of duty as Megan Green trots over across the Atlantic here in the coming weeks. Adam Posen at the Bank of England years ago, two days ago, Adam Posen, you made clear that we would see six percent plus interest rates by central banks, and particularly by the Bank of England. Will that level? Will that crush the United Kingdom economy?
Speaker 2: It's gonna hurt, There's no question, Tom, Thank you and Lisa for having me back. The issue is that from the start of this inflationary period in the UK, along with the Euro Area, the Bank of England MPCI majority the governor have kept talking as though they weren't going to have to raise rates that much, even though they had kept raising them. They kept talking as though they didn't need to go much further. They probably wouldn't need to go much further. Whereas from the start you had a UK from twenty twenty one onwards that had the worst aspects of US labor markets made words by Brexit and EU Euro Area exposure to energy shots from Russia had them both and have less credibility post Brexit and post all the political shenanigans, some five prime ministers in seven years, so ultimately it never made any sense that the UK was going to add up with a lower terminal rate for its central bank tightening than the Fed or the ECV.
Speaker 1: This is important, folks. I'm gonna get the theory out of the way here. There's a blistering essay this morning in the Telegraph from Ambrose Evans Pritchard, hugely controversial, but within it doctor Posen he alludes to Emery Lactose's idea half a country a go of a research program of where you get a set of beliefs going, and boy, you're gonna stick with your research program. Right or wrong? Does the Bank of England have a flawed research program? And do they need to amend it pronto?
Speaker 2: I fear that they have taken too seriously some of the some of their models. All central banks have investment in their models. But one of the good things that happened at the Bank of England when I was there during the global financial crisis, and then most of the other central banks, was you realized, under those circumstances you put the model aside, you don't use it if it's not realistic. Unfortunately, to me, the Bank has been relying on a couple mistaken assumptions or worldview. First that there was no erosion and credibility of the overall UK macro policy regime post brings in post politics, which clearly is not true. And second that if there was going to be a major real income shock, which they did rightly call that that would lead to a decline in nominal wage growth, and that was clearly mistaken. And I and others than other former NPC members like sister Widwani, we're pointing this out as an error at the end of twenty twenty one in their forecast, and they didn't come off that until very recently. I'm not conceptual like Ambrose. I'm not going to say is this a lot Ca toast moment or you change of para all that, But I think over the last year and a half two years they have stuck with some model assumptions that were publicly questioned and some of the members, the external members of the committee also questioned, Adam.
Speaker 3: Are there parallels with the UK and the US and the Federal Reserve which is currently at a precipice of a pretty key moment.
Speaker 2: At least, I think it's fair to draw the parallel. I think, just as with our markets with energy shocks, it's worse than the UK. Unfortunately in this instance, because it took the FED a while to change their view on inflation. A bunch of us were beating the drum for them to do that starting at the first quarter of twenty twenty one. But the bottom line is they did significantly change it by summer of twenty twenty two, and they clearly from the testimony, they don't have a full strategy, but they are aware inflation is job one. They are aware it's trend inflation. They are aware that it wasn't the transitory stuff. So I think the FED got out of its own way to some degree.
Speaker 3: We are discussing this concern about whether the FED can get down to a two percent inflation rate without causing pain, that perhaps people are unprepared for something that you raised a while ago, that perhaps it's just better to get to a three percent rate and be more comfortable with that higher rate. Where are you now in terms of what the FED has done and where it is heading in terms of inflation rate based on how much it's raised rates so far.
Speaker 2: I would love for Chris Waller and others to write, love to see vacancies continue to come down without unemployment rising and the pass through from all the previous shocks to be weeded out and therefore not have to have a much higher rate. I think that is a very bad gamble. I'm in fact more hawkish than even some of my colleagues on this, even though I'm known p obviously as an inflation dom because I see US as having such tight labor markets in the US and such trend inflation persisting even though it's coming off some that you're going to need real contraction in the credit markets to get where you need to go.
Speaker 3: This is really important, Adam. What's required in terms of how high rates to have to go in order to get real contraction in credit markets that are resilient.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, one.
Speaker 2: Way to look at it is that we finally, over the last few months, have spreads on quality spreads between you know, different classes of bonds or government borrowers versus private sector borrowers that are consistent with the tightening cycle. We haven't seen spreads be that wide, very wide at all, until very recently. So similarly, if you, however, you want to compute what you think the real interest rate is. We are just now getting to positive really, and so to me it's we are only now getting to type policy. And especially since the residential construction and employment proved very resilient to interest rate rises in a way that we have not seen before. That to me is the biggest surprise in the US. It tells us that the amount of monetary tightening has been done so far as sufficient. Now, maybe what we're just now gotten over the last couple of months will prove sufficient, But I'd rather air on the side of tightening more and that the US economy he won't fall into recession.
Speaker 1: We've got some time for one more question here, Adam. We're going to bring you over to the next half hour, Folks, this conversation is so important without imposing the Peterson Institute. It's real simple, Adam. There's a whole school of thought out there with disinflationary vectors in place, and we're being successful. And I want to talk about the naval gazing of do we get back to two percent or whatever in the next section. But right now, are you suggesting that we completely misjudge how we will extend the X axis of these high interest rates, and we will see a five percent or dare I say six percent millu well out into twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: My central call is that they're going to get above five point five before the end of the year, and it's going to remain there into at least second quarter of twenty twenty four. And unlike some other people, I think that the risk is more that they may have to do more than that, and not so much that they're going to have to do less than that.
Speaker 1: What we're doing, we're talking to a cross section of people, and we've certainly seen that in views on the equity markets, some huge caution, some optimism, blinding neutrality from US Wealth Bank, and we're also driving forward the conversation wrapped around theory under question for Global Wall Street. This has been a joy for the last fifteen minutes without im posing and we continue now and with me as well, is Michael McKee, our Bloomberg International Economics and Policy and Theory correspondent. When the theory's thrown out the window? Mike mckaty, you first question for you, and that is how bad has the theory been blown out the window? I mean, I mean a posin has to act posing like and you know, future central banker like you don't.
Speaker 5: Well, I was listening to Adam earlier and I think he's that it's not just the Bank of England, it's all economists basically work off of models that have worked for twenty twenty five thirty years that aren't working anymore now. Some discarded those faster than others, and certainly you could say the Fed did not, the Bank of England did not. But now they are to varying degrees adjusting. And that's the question, though, what do you do? Where do you go?
Speaker 1: If the model doesn't work?
Speaker 5: You can try to figure out why and readjust a model, but they become more guidance than any kind of a real path forward.
Speaker 1: We continue with that, imposing the president of the Peterson Institute for International Economics, Adam, I'm going to get right to it and frame here the path down to three percent in a raging debate led by your work with your colleague Olivier Blanchard John Williams as an ur starts subdued and we will get back near twoish percent. You disagree, But what's the nuance? Now? What's changed in where we are heading within this new level for FED rate policy.
Speaker 2: I don't think much has changed in the spirit of the conversation you and Michael we're just having. I think more needs to change. So what we had was a series of central bankers repeatedly saying throughout the last couple of years, do means to and then saying sato voce but audibly, Look, it might be better to get that to stop at three or to be slow getting to two, but we can't admit it now. And my belief, which was part of my belief when we were advocating and designing inflation targets in the first place, was the point of inflation targets was to communicate an a credible way with the public. And so I think between a choice of saying you're going to tow but then taking your time about it, and then maybe in a FED review in two years time you sort of admit that you were not going to do is not preferable to saying we're only going to three and since and this is actually a virtue of how bad things are. If you get if you take us down from eight to three, you're still pretty credible disinflation and stuff.
Speaker 1: What's the Venn diagram look like of Adam Posen in a rules based John Taylor, can we be rules based if we get back to a Posin blenchard three percent?
Speaker 2: Well inflation targeting. The part of it I'd like to keep is always been what I called this discipline discretion co authorate to late Thomas Laubach, or what Bernanki and Michigan called constrained discretion, the idea that it's intermediate between rules and pure discretion. And I think Professor Taylor has been right about a lot over the last couple of years, But I still am not sold on the idea of the rule. What I am sold on is the idea that you can't deviate from the target without explaining yourself and adapting the target. And so I don't know about a ven diagram. I think we both agree, would agree you need a lot more inflation disinflation than we've had. That the FED was behind the curve and had a wrong idea, But ultimately it's not because they didn't never rules because they had a wrong idea.
Speaker 5: Well, Adam, if I can follow up on the idea of whether or not you want to raise the inflation target. Do you have a lot of confidence one way or another that two percent is wrong or three percent is going to fit the economy that comes out of this whole thing, because at this point it seems like we don't really know, We don't have a good grasp on where inflation is going and how fast.
Speaker 2: It's fair, it's a fair question. I want to go back to one one basic point, which was when we an Ancunisian lawback and I wrote the inflation targeting book. We wrote in it and assumed that inflation targets would be reset over time. As I started saying, and I'm only speaking for myself now, not my distinguished co authors, as I started saying around two thousand and four, two thousand and five, we made a mistake because people treated these inflation targets like exchange rate targets. They were scared to move them because they were worried it gave a bad message. And so and there was too much convergence among different central banks and different economies all on this two percent, and that just reinforced it. Whereas you should be adapting the inflation to target to the realities, not every minute to make excuses, but every several years to make it realistic, and so to me, there's no question that the higher inflation target would be better. We well, Blanchard used to talk with co authors about a four percent target. He's now publicly said he's in favor of a three rather two. I've always believed it should be higher than two. Not always sorry. When I wrote the book, I didn't, but I believed it should be moved as needed, and since fifteen years i've believed it should be moved up. So I think there's no harm in saying three, because you're still going to be credible disinflating from where we are now the three, and then you're not going to have to go through the major pain of squeezing out that last bit of inflation.
Speaker 5: Well, let me ask you about another communications issue, and that is forward guidance. The FED and other central banks really like the idea at various times, but now it seems like they're having trouble communicating with the markets since they're unable to say what they're going to do next. Is that a FED problem, a market problem? Or does forward guidance not work as well as they thought?
Speaker 2: Borer guits never worked as well as all? I mean back when my first speech after leaving the Bank of England at Jackson Hole in twenty twelve, I made a whole point arguing that forward guidance was never going to work well, and everything since then bears that out. But that doesn't mean you just wander around and randomly say, oh, here's today's data. So like I look at Bank of England. The issue for me, I know we can talk about the FED, but I mean the banking and the issue for me is not that they made the wrong interest rate hikes, because they did a lot of them pretty fast, but that they kept saying, well, this will be the last one and we probably don't need to do more. We're going to be able to stop at four percent. And so again it's not so much about for guidance, it's about they communicated the wrong forecast. And I think the FED or the Bank of England has to or other central banks have to say, our forecast was wrong, we are shifting to this forecast. This forecast may be wrong too, but this is the best guess and therefore you should expect ax. You're not going to be able to do forward guidance the way you did in the crisis, because that was meant as a substitute for policy anyways. It was never meant to be a standalone, useful tool in a normal situation.
Speaker 1: I want to get back to FED policy. Got two more questions Adam before you go. You've been very generous with your time, and the basic one is what Mike McKee's going to see in the press conference looking out for five, six seven meetings as well for our audience, what would you suggest will be the market the real estate reaction if we get to pose in rate levels.
Speaker 2: Thank you for generously giving me this much of surveillance time. I think the market's going to be negative, but I don't think in the US it's going to be disastrous, as you and Lisa and John have repeatedly talked about. Rightly, this has been an incredibly resilient market in equities. Even in real estate. The the loss is commercial estate's different, but in residential real estate the losses have not been that large given the past run up and construction continues. So, going back to someone who were saying earlier, Tom, I think you're going to need in market terms, some form of capitulation, because that's just the side effect of their being actual tightening of credit conditions, and I think we're just getting there. But it doesn't have to be disastrous because we don't have the same fragility I believe in our financial markets. We did past cycles.
Speaker 1: At the Peterson Institute, Chad Bona with a great segment on the historic collapse of Switzerland's watch industry. That's how esoteric Peterson Institute can get. One of the things percolating Adam in late June is a new bout of American exceptionalism. Were different than they are? Is America exceptional.
Speaker 2: In a lot of social ways, yes, and a lot of economic ways now, so our racial divisions, our regional divisions, our gun violence, our nativism. These are all things under debate and which are not under debate, and a lot of other high income economies, So we are exceptional in our economy. The Economist, as you know, had a great feature a little while back of great survey talking about the ways in which the US economy powers ahead. It remains to be seen how much of that was sustainable versus how much of that was brief fiscal. But ultimately there is some special sauce to the urban, innovative parts of the US economy. In services in tech that others have not been able to replicate, and we have to take that. That's a blessing.
Speaker 1: We got to leave it there, Doctor Posen, thank you so much for a substantial mid year conversation, Adam posing the Peterson Institute formerly is public service to the Bank of England. Michael Collins joins now for a brief senior portfolio manager of PGUM Fixed Income. Michael, what does this record curve and version mean to you? How does your world change when you see two tens one hundred and two basis points?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Tom and Lisa, good morning.
Speaker 7: The dilemma out there, and one of the reasons the Martins are so confused and everybody was confused about the economic trajectory is that the typical models, the traditional leading indicators like the slope of the yield curve, all of the empirical evidence, the surveys are all pointing to recession right pending recession doom. The problem is from the bottom up, the fundamental analysts in US and you know, as you know Peache and fixed income, we pride ourselves on that bottom up analysis. I always say, sometimes the economists tell the analysts what's.
Speaker 6: Going to happen.
Speaker 7: But our view is a lot of times the analysts tell the economists what's going to happen. And when you look at the world from the bottom up and you look at all these companies and all these industries, and you look at the housing market, the auto market, the mortgage market, the banking system, it's hard to find the areas where you're going to see a big collapse in activity, in demand, in lending in and a big surge in default. So we're kind of splitting the difference and just assuming that growth is going to slow, you have a moderation and growth, moderation and inflation, but there's really low risk of a deeper session.
Speaker 1: Here within that analysis, do you go load the boat on garbage corporate or dare I say high yield distress? Or do you take the middle ground of equality corporate versus full faith and credit.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's the latter for sure.
Speaker 7: I mean, what happens at this point to cycle Tom with the Fed and all these other central banks having tightened policies.
Speaker 6: So aggressively, it does start to bite.
Speaker 7: And it is starting to bite the weakest credits, the weakest people, the weakest governments, and you're seeing the most levered credits, the ones that are exposed to floating rates, whether they're loan issuers or whether they're commercial real estate borrowers, they are starting to get hit, right. So those are the areas of the market you really want to be careful with and avoid. The good news is, as we've talked about with you many times, the higher quality parts of the market are still for sale. They're offering tremendous spreads, tremendous yields to kind of sit up in quality and print you know, six handle coupons while you wait.
Speaker 3: Michael, I have to be honest. A lot of people have come on this show and they say, you know, you've come up with a theory, and you hold it for a longer period of time. You try to ignore the noise of all the mood swings, and we come up here and we say, yeah, yeah, yeah, But our job every day is to gauge the mood swings and figure out how the shifts are happening. Today, there is a material shift after a week of hawkish speak from a lot of central bankers around the world. Does that shift your view at all, the sense that suddenly we're gaming out six and a quarter percent ECB rates that the FED possibly is going to go even two more times this year.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean this happens every FED cycle, Lisa. The markets kind of have these blow off tops. Maybe we've just seen that credit spreads rally. We've just seen that there's this enthusiasm right at the end of the FED hiking cycle that Wow, the economy is doing good. And the reason the Fed's able to continue hike and these other central banks are able to continue to hike is because the economy doing good and it does well until it doesn't, right, And so we're probably at one of those precipices right now where we're peaking in optimism, peaking in sentiment and growth, and you're going to start seeing the slide. You're going to start seeing those problems emerge, those cracks start to increase. Growth and inflation are going to be lower in six and twelve months from now than they are today. But again, the point is it's not going to be one of these existential credit crises that we've become so accustomed to experiencing. So you wait, you have to be patient, you wait for those cracks, and then you jump in. I mean, look at the regional banks. We've been underweight regional banks. A lot of them just issued the big super regionals and we covered and went to an overweight.
Speaker 6: Right, those are the types of things you have to be patient for.
Speaker 3: This is something we're not used to. It's not two thousand and eight. Everyone was looking for a two thousand and eight corollary, but there still will be pain. How do you game out what the right level is? What are you looking for in terms of a selloff to make say, hial bonds look attractive some of these other credit instruments that you're staying away from.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the mistake.
Speaker 7: A lot of folks are making leases. They're looking at all the historical relationships, right, They're looking at high yield spreads, and a typical recession go out to eight hundred basis points or one thousand basis points, and in today's world, that would be a fifteen percent yield, right, which is which is kind of armageddon. They expect high yield the faults to hit ten percent. That's because they're looking at the old models, looking at some of the past recessions where you had a lot of leverage, where you had a lot of excesses and credit build ups. You do not have that now, So ar Mantra is you know, six hundred spread on the high heeld market is the new eight hundred.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 7: If you get into the fives, you're buying high yield in terms of spread, that's a you know, that's still a ten or low double digit coupon.
Speaker 1: Michael, let's go into quality right now. I just looked at the Apple of two thousand and thirty three. The Apple piece out ten years is half a percentage point fifty nine basis points over treasuries. You can look at those, folks. So you acclaim why a screen and the d d ice screen and the Bloomberg This is how we invented the company. But the company wasn't invented over Bloomberg surveillance. It was invented over bond analysis. In case there was any confusion there, Michael, is Apple debt, full faith and credit.
Speaker 7: You know, the amount of cash some of those big tech companies have tom is really amazing, and Apple's right at the top of the list. And all these big tech companies, you know, we look at their equities and they're volatile, and their high beta and fixed income land. A lot of those big you know, super megacap tech companies are the double a's and triple a's, you know, they're the old exxons and banks of yesteryear. They're like the utilities because they have so much cash. They print cash. They could pay off all their debt tomorrow if they want. Right though, the spreads you mentioned are really tight, there's no value there.
Speaker 6: We don't own those.
Speaker 7: We're typically underweight that whole sector in the bond market and focus on the areas where you get more spread.
Speaker 6: I mean, you could sell Apple.
Speaker 7: At fifty nine basis points tom and buy a triple A rated COLO. I know that's a dirty word for some people. At almost three or four times that spread or excess return, that is a home run. That's an easy trade, and we have that on in a big way.
Speaker 1: Michael Collins. You bring me to tears. Thank you so much, Michael Collins. With p Jim, we're going to drive forward here in a debate on the market, and as we talk to people really cautious this morning, let's talk to somebody fair and balanced. Linda doesilll decades of experience with Steve Authen the team it federated him. As she was lights out last time she was on, are you guys bullser bears, I mean, Federated has such a venerated steady as we go? Are you bullser bears?
Speaker 9: Linda, Well, you know, it's good morning and it's hard to say bullser bears. You talking about what kind of landing we were having. We've been saying for the past that's say, twelve months, we'll have a rocky land and that does include kind of the rolling recession that you were speaking about earlier on and so you know, it would have been a lot rockier in the stock market as we were expecting to maybe even test those lows if we didn't have that AI narrative that went on and then the run up and the big big stocks because as we all know, underneath the surface, the average stock is only up a couple percent.
Speaker 4: Year to date.
Speaker 3: Linda, do you think this is a tipping point in terms of an understanding of how far central bankers are willing to go and what that means for the revenues of a lot of stocks that have done pretty well this year?
Speaker 4: Well, no, I don't particularly think so.
Speaker 9: I mean I realized that they made a big move over in the UK, and thank goodness, we're in the US as versus the UK, they have a bigger problem than we do on inflation. We have always said that they will continue to bring inflation down to a level, maybe it's three or maybe it's two. And if we take the FED at their word for two percent, it's going to be higher for longer. And we have said that in federated hetermis for a very long time. The question is, well they call victory at three percent, because if they do, we may get out of this with just the rocky landing. But if they don't, they will tighten into a real recession.
Speaker 3: So if you don't think that anything really has changed, and we're kind of in the same place we were two weeks ago, even though the narrative has shifted, is this a time to buy? Is this a time to look for some of the weakness and then say, all right, we can step back in.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: You know, it's interesting about the narrative shifting because you know, get I get hundreds of emails a day from our Wall Street sources, and it seemed like everybody got a memo at a moment that said, okay, now we're over blocked. Now it's time to maybe take some money off the table, why you know, and the technicians are out there saying maybe forty two hundred, we test forty three hundred anyway. On the down side, July anyway is a week month. You can use all these statistics historically and say, fundamentally, what's going on in our economy. Fundamentally, actually the economy is very strong. And when I think people will failed to continue to appreciate, is still the amount of stimulus unbelievable. Outside stimulus, I just read a statistic that said that liquid assets for consumers are four zero point four trillion dollars greater than what they were at the end of twenty nineteen. And we were doing just fine at the end of twenty nineteen.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is really important. And I got eight ways to go here, Linda, and I'm going to go to what Lawrence McDonald did in a terrific essay this week. He outlined the wall of money and ETF's mutual funds and the rest of it that animals like Federated or mes are dealing with. Is all this market about is just a ginormous first order condition, which is a wall of money trying to find a warm spot.
Speaker 9: Well, it's very much a huge piece of it. And that wall of money is not just looking for a place to invest. That wall of money is out there spending and particularly on services. And it will be interesting to see what the PMI say. But whatever information we've got to buy, confidence, not just consumer confidence, but housing confidence has been very very strong here lately. Airline information that I just saw.
Speaker 4: This just I think the other two days ago.
Speaker 9: Airline information is very strong for this summer. So the recessions too early.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't want lind, I don't want you to talk about a specific portfolio. But if I'm looking at a federated portfolio and we're in the old days, you had two or three or four percent in Microsoft or Apple, let's say on a perspective s basis, it's elevated up by growth to eight percent or ten percent. Are you guys forced to sell these big tech companies when they become so big? How do you handle that?
Speaker 10: Well?
Speaker 9: Of course, we have portfolios that are stock bond portfolios that are all across the spectrum, and we have our objectives. There is no particular requirement, but each portfolio manager will have an objective that says, once a particular holding gets above a particular level, maybe five percent or so, then they'll they may want to trim some of that because it gets to be outsized. Of course, this is one of the reasons why portfolio manage managers have had a very difficult time beating the SMP this year, as you can't hold as much in the SMP as the S ANDP bolts in these big names.
Speaker 1: Linda, thank you, Linda Dussel, whether it's the Federated or me as there one time, ten, twelve, thirteen years ago, I really can't remember. I guess I had nothing to do. I follow how'd go over and get a free glass of wine from Richard hass at the Console on Foreign Relations. I walked up Park Avenue, I went into their wonderful building, and Ambassador Haas walked out and he did something was like, well, okay, so what he interviewed? He introduced rather a new website for the Console on Foreign Relations. He and his team were at least five, if not eight years ahead of everybody else in the digital media game. And I can't say enough about the value of the Council on Foreign Relations website right now. Roger Ferguson on a reset of where the Fed should head to on interest rates, and an introduction here of Ambassador has Alyssa Airs of Georgetown on what we don't know about India. Richard hasse wonderful to have you on today. Professor Ayers of Georgetown is blistering about how India wants to deal with the United States. We saw Modi at the White House. Was it a fiction?
Speaker 11: It wasn't a fiction, Tom, but his enormous height in terms of what India is going to do for and with the United States, let me think about it. Yes, it's fast growing economy, it's the most populous country in the world, but there are some important butts when it comes to India.
Speaker 12: It still gets most of its arms from Russia.
Speaker 11: It's buying copious amounts of Russian oil and gas.
Speaker 12: It hasn't supported US diplomatically there.
Speaker 11: It's a reminder that India always hedges it in its farm policy.
Speaker 12: And yes, there's growth in our economic relations.
Speaker 11: But as everyone who would come on your show would tell you, we does business there, it's still extraordinarily tough to gain access to the to the Indian marketing.
Speaker 12: So kind of a lot of happy talk about the United States in.
Speaker 1: India is it just too far away, is it, you know, like a Patrick O'Brien novel on the other side of the world.
Speaker 12: Look, we know, I.
Speaker 11: Don't think that's the U ship and I think again. But it's also driving in years domestic politics. It turns out the Indian American community time it's the wealthiest community of any other community in the United States. There's obviously powerful political reasons.
Speaker 12: No, it's just it's just difficult.
Speaker 11: We don't have a great tradition of cooperating with India, and people I think are hyping it, Which is not to say there's not something.
Speaker 12: There's not something there. There is.
Speaker 11: There is growing strategic cooperation, growing economic trade and investment.
Speaker 12: I just think people are exaggerating the upside.
Speaker 3: In the meantime, during the conversation and the President Biden had with Prime Minister Modi, he poo pooed some of the controversy around calling Jijinping a dictator, saying it's not a big deal. You know he is, and I'm going to head over there and meet him. Do you think that that was enough to quell some of the concerns about the renewed tensions that he ignited.
Speaker 11: It wasn't helpful first of all, saying that Shishaping didn't know about the Bologon incident. The president may have thought he was helping him, but if you're the guy who was really.
Speaker 12: In charge of China, you don't like being reminded that you may not be one hundred percent in charge. The dictator comment didn't help.
Speaker 11: But I think at the end of the day, China is worried most not about what Joe Biden said. He's worried about new economic restrictions, export controls, and so forth. So what they want to do is try to put a limit on well what's introduced in that realm, and come November, President Xieshin Pining wants to meet with President Biden here.
Speaker 12: So my guess is they're going to overlook this latest.
Speaker 3: Diplomaticans given that heading into this year, you are among the people saying it's one of the most fraught times we have ever seen on a geopolitical stance. Do you think that those tensions have abated, that we've moved away from the brink and it feels less perilous now, or do you think people are just taking a pause and focusing on things like the FED, like the Bank of England, and we'll be reminded of the geopolitical pressures later on.
Speaker 11: Yeah, at the risk of not giving you the answer you want, the tensions haven't gotten any less possibilities. You know what happens next with Russia in Europe and Ukraine. None of that's gone away, the dangers of continued war escalation. The United States Chinese relationship is still searching for a floor. We're tired of the Middle East, but the Middle East isn't tired of us.
Speaker 12: You've got a rond still on the brink of nuclear weapons.
Speaker 11: I'm actually even more worried in the short run that the Israeli Palestinian relationship could blow sky high. I think it is very close to the edge of extraor their eruptions of violence there. We're doing nothing on client really to speak up.
Speaker 12: So when I take a step back, I go no.
Speaker 11: I see no evidence that the world is becoming a more safe place in this era of what.
Speaker 12: You might call geopolitical revival.
Speaker 1: Richard has summer reading at Congress in the House of Representatives, in a fractious Senate is everybody has to read your Bill of obligations. It's a superb short effort folks, this is the book to throw at the offspring this summer when they're mouthing off all their political verbiage, either right or left, just say shut up and read it has the Bill of Obligations. How are we doing on Capitol Hill, Ambassador? Has is anybody reading your book?
Speaker 11: Well?
Speaker 13: First of all, Tom, I say, that's truly the most interesting book.
Speaker 12: Drsement I've ever seen in my life. I want to put that on the cover of something.
Speaker 11: Look, I think a lot of peopleeople in Congress and beyond know there's something wrong here, that American democracy is off the rails. There's obviously not a consensus someone to do about it.
Speaker 12: But as I go around the country.
Speaker 11: Talking about the Bill of Obligations, people know it. It resonates more interested in putting civics in our schools, much more interested in reviving public service since that again we somehow lost our way in.
Speaker 12: As a price that we could well pay. So I'm actually somewhat encouraged.
Speaker 11: Again, We're not there to consent what to do, but I think this greater acceptance that we really do have a serious problem on our hands, and it's a problem that transcends any single individual.
Speaker 1: Enough politics or shureus. Thank you so much for the concept foreign relations. One time, ten, twelve, thirteen years ago, I really can't remember. I had nothing to do. I follow how to go over and get a free glass of wine from Richard Hass at the Consul on Foreign Relations. I walked up Park Avenue, I went into their wonderful building, and Ambassador House walked out and he did something was like, well, okay, so what he interviewed? He introduced rather a new website for the Council on Foreign Relations. He and his team were at least five, if not eight, years ahead of everybody else in the digital media game. And I can't say enough about the value of the Console on Foreign Relations website Right now. Roger Ferguson on a reset of where the FED should head to on interest rates and an introduction here of Ambassador hasse Alissa Ayers of Georgetown on what we don't know about India. Richard Hass wonderful to have you on today. Professor Ayers of Georgetown is blistering about how India wants to deal with the United Dates. We saw Mody at the White House. Was it a fiction?
Speaker 11: It wasn't a fiction, Tom, But this enormous height in terms of what India is going to do for and with the United States.
Speaker 12: I mean, think about it.
Speaker 11: Yes, it's fast growing economy, it's the most populous country in the world. But there are some important butts when it comes to India.
Speaker 12: It still gets most of its arms from Russia.
Speaker 11: It's buying copious amounts of Russian oil and gas.
Speaker 12: It hasn't supported US diplomatically there.
Speaker 11: It's a reminder that India always hedges in its farm policy. And yes, there's growth in our economic relations. But is everyone who would come on your.
Speaker 12: Show would tell you he does business there.
Speaker 11: It's still extraordinarily tough to gain access to the Indian marketing. So kind of a lot of happy talk about the United States in India.
Speaker 1: Is it just too far away?
Speaker 14: Is it?
Speaker 1: You know, like a Patrick O'Brien novel on the other side of the world.
Speaker 11: Look, we know, I don't think that's the yuship, and I think again. But it's also driving in years domestic politics. It turns out the Indian American community time it's the wealthiest community of any other community in the United States.
Speaker 12: But there's obviously powerful political reasons. No, it's just it's just difficult.
Speaker 11: We don't have a great tradition of cooperating with India, and people I think are hyping it, Which is not to say there's not something there.
Speaker 12: There is.
Speaker 11: There is growing strategic cooperation, growing economic trade and investment.
Speaker 12: I just think people are exaggerating the upside.
Speaker 3: In the meantime, during the conversation and the President Biden had with Prime Minister Modi, he poo pooed some of the controversy around calling Jijinping a dictator, saying it's not a big deal. You know he is, and I'm going to head over there and meet him. Do you think that that was enough to quell some of the concerns about the renewed tensions that he ignited.
Speaker 12: What it wasn't helpful?
Speaker 11: First of all, saying that Shisha Pig didn't know about the Bologna to the President may have thought he was helping him, but if you're the guy who was really.
Speaker 12: In charge of China, you don't like being reminded that you may not be one hundred percent in charge.
Speaker 15: The dictator comment didn't help, But I think at the end of the day, China is worried most not about what Joe Biden said he's worried about new economic restrictions, export controls and so forth.
Speaker 11: So what they want to do is try to put a limit on what's introduced in that realm, and come November, President Shieshan thing wants to meet with President Biden here.
Speaker 12: So my guess is they're going to overlook this latest.
Speaker 3: Diplomaticus given that heading into this year, you were among the people saying it's one of the most fraught times we have ever seen on a geopolitical stance. Do you think that those tensions have abated, that we've moved away from the brink and it feels less perilous now, or do you think people are just taking a pause and focusing on things like the FED, like the Bank of England and we'll be reminded of the geopolitical pressures later on.
Speaker 11: Yeah, at the risk of not giving you the answer you want, the tensions haven't gotten any less possibilities. You know what happens next with Russia in Europe and Ukraine. None of that's gone away, the dangers of continued war escalation, the United States Chinese relationship, it's still searching for a floor.
Speaker 12: We're tired of the middle East. But the Middle East isn't tired of us. You've got a rond still on the brink of nuclear weapons.
Speaker 11: I'm actually even more worried in the short run that the Israeli Palestinian relationship could blow sky high. I think it is very close to the edge of extraordinary eruptions of violence there.
Speaker 12: We're doing nothing on climate really to speak up.
Speaker 11: So when I take a step back, I go no, I see no evidence that the world is becoming a more stake place in this era of what you might call geopolitical revival.
Speaker 1: Richard has summer reading at Congress in the House of Representatives, in a fractious Senate as everybody has to read your Bill of Obligations. It's a superb short effort, folks. This is the book to throw at the offspring this summer when they're mouthing off all their political verbiage, either right or left, just say shut up and read it has the Bill of Obligations. How are we doing on Capitol Hill, Ambassador Oz, is anybody reading your book?
Speaker 13: Well, first of all, Tom, let me say that's the That's truly the most interesting book endorsement I've ever seen in my life.
Speaker 12: I'm want to put that on the cover of something.
Speaker 11: Look, I think a lot of people in Congress and beyond know there's something wrong here, that American democracy is off the rails. There's obviously not a consensus somewhat to do about it. But as I go around the country talking about the Bill of Obligations, people know it. It resonates more interest in putting civics in our schools, much more interested in reviving public service. Since then again we somehow lost our way in as a price that we could we could well pay.
Speaker 12: So I'm actually somewhat encouraged.
Speaker 11: Again, We're not there that can send what to do, but I think this greater acceptance that we really do have a serious problem on our hands, and it's a problem that transcends any single individual and.
Speaker 1: A politics Shureaus, thank you so much for the consult foreign relations. We're going to take a different track tacked right now. And for those of you renting, for those of you looking at investment where you're scared stiff of the six months to come. Someone expert on this is Brad Dillman. He's chief economist of Cortland in Atlanta. They do all sorts of sun Belt multifamily stuff, but far far mortally importantly, this is a guy out of Washington and LSE in the economics of geography, in spatial economics. This is a cottage industry of the London School of Economics, and Dilman is one of their esteemed graduates. How bad is the geography of our multifamily investment right now? We use the inflammatory phrase this is Gidtleson's fault. We use the phrase time bomb? Is your world? Brad Dillman a time bomb?
Speaker 16: I wouldn't call it a time bomb, no, And to the degree that it might be, it's a very slow moving one.
Speaker 4: There's a number of factors at play here.
Speaker 16: I've interpreted a lot of the policies coming out of the pandemic as being a de facto housing supply stimulus, not just on the single family side. But we had low interest rates leading the home price appreciation and single family supply, but the eviction moratoria distorting occupancy rates markets, increasing rent growth, and then in the context of zero industrates allowing a lot of multifamily supply to kick off in a country that's been under built for quite some time.
Speaker 4: That's not really an issue, but could it compound into one eventually.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, I'm fascinated what you see and don't kid your sales guys. Cortland is looking at this like on a five minute basis, Are you actually seeing rents level out or rent disinflation? Could that be possible? Asking for twenty million people in tri state New York. They don't believe it.
Speaker 16: Yeah, No, the data is very clear that we've been in a disinflationary rent growth environment. So annual rent growth peak in general terms, you know, in the summer of last year. It's been slowing since then. One thing we have seen has been that new leases, so we're always looking at you know, new leases and then also existing leases that are going to renew right new leases or a vacant unit have started to increase again just at the same time that looks like occupancies may start to trough. So what has been called like a six to eight month disinflationary environment in rent growth looks like it could actually start to re expand again.
Speaker 1: Help me with a not in my backyard. I mean, what's a typical multifamily size? How many units is a typical Courtland property.
Speaker 4: About two hundred and fifty two hundred and fifty to three hundred units.
Speaker 16: These is you know, for Courtland, it's suburban mid rise product generally in the sun Belt.
Speaker 4: But obviously there's all sorts of different types of housing out there.
Speaker 1: What's the not in my backyard level right now? Is it tough to build this stuff like it is up in the North Feast?
Speaker 11: You know?
Speaker 16: The reality is that the suburbs have never been more accommodated when it comes to multi family housing. It's a it's a narrative that we hear a lot. If you look at the construction as a percentage of inventory in the suburbs, it's really caught up to the Earthport.
Speaker 1: I see. Got you. The problem here, folks, is Brad answers short questions. He thinks he's on TV. You're on radio tube, Brad worldwide. So you're allowed to expand on that. I want you to expand right now on your optimism on multifamily housing over the next two years, because all we get up here in New York, all we get is gloom on real estate. I'm not hearing that love from you. Are you optimistic about multifamily development?
Speaker 4: Am I optimist about development?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 2: I'm not.
Speaker 4: And the reason for that is the interest rate environment.
Speaker 16: If we look at the cost to get a construction loan for the larger kind of product that say Courtland would develop, this's two hundred and fifty to three hundred unit product. It's too stiff right now as far as we can tell, that area of the multi failing market has shut down. But if you look at multi family starts in the five unit in upspace, right, so this is going to be smaller product, maybe ten units, maybe forty units, maybe in places like Knoxville, maybe even rural America. This kind of product is still starting and is still underway.
Speaker 1: So July twenty six and September twenty or FED meetings if they act, and it's I'm not going to say highly likely, but it is probable that they'll find a new rate regime at a higher level. What does that do to multifamily real estate and for that matter, commercial real estate that you study across America?
Speaker 16: Right, So, obviously, just by keeping financing costs high, it's going to have an impact on values. We've already seen an impact on liquidity in the space, meaning we haven't seen too many transactions. It's going to make further construction a little bit more difficult, and we'll certainly lead to some distress. Right now, it would appear that the distress is really going to be in that construction and transitional financing space maturities in the twenty twenty three through twenty twenty five range if rates do say high like that, and let's say we do hit a new regime of you know, okay, the FED fund rate is going to be at you know, three to four percent, you know, in perpetuity, you know, with.
Speaker 4: Bouts up and down. We would need to see an inflationial environment that corresponds with that. So we need to see rent growth or cheaper.
Speaker 16: Inputs into the development process in order to see development continue a pace.
Speaker 1: On Bloomberg Surveillance, I'm radio on television. We're talking with Brad Dillman of Atlanta, of Courtland where they do multifamily housing and something. And I'm really remiss of as folks we ignore this and it's completely a New York City conceit and we should not. It's a huge part of a discussion in America. I want to go demographic on you right now, Brad Dillman. I'm going to be the only one left on the island of Manhattan. Everybody else is moving to Florida. Is that a cliche or is there something actually true that we all got to move down to Atlanta Braves baseball.
Speaker 4: It certainly seems like everybody's moving to Florida.
Speaker 16: Sometimes the reality is too when we look at some of this information that we're saying that the migration to the sunbell has actually slowed a little bit. We look at cell phone data, we look at the census is my you know, population and components of change tables. It's still there. People are still moving, but it has slowed down a bit. Something that we don't talk about, that we don't hear a lot about is immigration.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 16: Immigration has actually kicked off very strongly over the last few years, only coming out of the pandemic. If you look at the foreign born adult population, it's increasing nearly five million people in three years.
Speaker 14: Right.
Speaker 16: That's bigger in the population of New Zealand. It's bigger in the population of whole states like Oregon in twenty twenty. This is a story for gateway markets, and what are new gateway markets places like Atlanta and Front Range, which are probably seeing as best we can tell more immigration, fortunately than they would have historically, but.
Speaker 1: This is a cret. I mean, everyone Brad in New York City, of every walker life is talking about this, the extraordinary expense of some of our major urban areas, and there's other issues crime in that. I get it, But there's this huge study of what our kids are doing. Does Cortland have research that with the vengeance the younger crew, they just simply can't have forward it and they're moving down to a Courtland multifamily to rebuild their lives.
Speaker 4: I don't know about that.
Speaker 16: As far as people moving interstate, one thing that we have seen in our own data has been that we have been a beneficiary of people moving interstate. But whether or not these are people are choosing to do that in the sense that they have to do it right because of their own personal form of situations not something we have clarity on. We do know that the general narratives that people are kind of bumping down the urban hierarchy because of cost of living reasons.
Speaker 1: BRED Thank you so much, generous of your time, Brat Diliman of Courtland. Subscribe to the Bloomberg Surveillance podcast on Apple, Spotify and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live every weekday starting at seven am Eastern on Bloomberg dot Com, the iHeartRadio app, tune In, and the Bloomberg Business App. You can watch us live on Bloomberg Television and always. I'm the Bloomberg Terminal. Thanks for listening. I'm Tom Keen, and this is Bloomberg. Thanks for listening to the Bloomberg Surveillance podcast. Now, stay tuned for today's edition of Bloomberg Daybreak. It's your daily news podcast, delivering today's top stories to your podcast feed by six am Eastern. It's all the news you need in just fifteen minutes. The Bloomberg Daybreak Podcast. It starts right now.
Speaker 17: From the Bloomberg Interactive Burgers Studios. This is Bloomberg Daybreak for Friday, June twenty third.
Speaker 18: Coming up today, the search for the missing Titanic sub comes to a tragic end.
Speaker 17: Global stocks are on track for their biggest weekly decline in three months.
Speaker 18: Janet Yellen says the risk of a US recession is receding.
Speaker 17: And Citygroup has a warning for employees on office attendance.
Speaker 14: A section of I ninety five that collapsed in Philadelphia reopens today. Plus Congressvin Santos slams a judge for revealing the names behind posting his bond. I'm Michael barr bo.
Speaker 6: Ahead, I'm Don stave Shower.
Speaker 19: Sports a lopsided loss to the Yankees. The Mets to night visit Philadelphia. They held the NBA Draft in Brooklyn.
Speaker 10: That's all straight ahead on Bloomberg day Break, the business news you need to start your day in just one fifteen minute podcast each morning on Apple Spotify. The Bloomberg Business Appen everywhere you get your podcasts.
Speaker 18: Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 17: And I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 18: First, we begin with a tragic end to the search for that submersible it was exploring the Titanic. Rescuers have found the nose cone and other debris from the vessel, known as the Titan. Coast Guard Rear Admiral John Monger says the five people on board are dead.
Speaker 20: In consultation with experts from within the Unified Command, the debris is consistent with the catastrophic loss of the pressure chain.
Speaker 18: Rear Admiral John Mauger says they're going to keep collecting information to determine the cause. Of that implosion. Bloomberg News has learned the US Navy detected the implosion on Sunday at the site where the Titan loss communications. A senior Navy official says a decision was made to continue the search and rescue, to make every effort to save lives.
Speaker 17: Well, Nathan, we turn now to the nation's capital, where geopolitics and foreign relations are in focus. It was a red carpet welcome for India's Prime Minister as Narendra Mody met with President Biden at the White House yesterday. A joint press conference was followed by Modi addressing Congress. Amy Morris has Moore from our Bloomberg ninety nine one newsroom in Washington.
Speaker 21: President Biden in Prime Minister Mody announced a series of defense and commercial deals designed to improve military and economic ties between the two nations during yesterday's state visit at the White House. Later, Mody made a rare address to a joint meeting of Congress, where he stressed the importance of democracy, the beauty of democracy in the constant connect with the people to listen to them. At least seventy lawmakers called on President Biden to address human rights violations in India. Still, Mody was met with applause on Capitol Hill. The evening ended with a state dinner at the White House in Washington. I'm Amy Morris Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 18: Thank you Amy. At that joint news conference with Prime Minister Modi, President Biden also addressed relations with China, answering questions about this week's comment where he referred to Chinese President Shi Jinping as a dictator.
Speaker 22: We had an incident that caused some confusion, he might say, but President, but the Secretary of Blincoln had a great trip to China. I expect to be meeting with President she sometime in the future a near term, and I don't think it's had any real consequence.
Speaker 18: All those sentiments from President Biden do not appear to be shared by China. A spokesman for the Chinese embassy as the President's remarks were quote erroneous, absurd, and irresponsible.
Speaker 17: Well, we turned to the markets now, Nathan, and we're seeing global stocks had for their biggest weekly decline in more than three months. Concerns of our higher interest rates appear to be the catalyst. At the same time, are getting a positive outlook from the Treasury Secretary Jenet Yellen says the risk of a US recession is declining. We get more from Bloomberg's Dunk Prisner.
Speaker 23: In an interview with Bloomberg News, Yellen said the odds of recession, if anything, have gone down. That's because of a tight labor market and inflation coming down. When it comes to consumption, Yellen said we probably need to see some slow down in spending in order to get inflation under control. She said the core measure of price increases is quite high. Yellen also said we could have a lovely debate about what the inflation target would be, but this is not the time for that debate. Fedcher J. Powell has rejected the idea of entertaining a change in the two percent target sentiment. He reiterated before Congress this week in New York. I'm Doug Prisoner Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 18: Thank you, Doug. Speaking of Jay Powell, the Fed chairs wrapped up his semi annual testimony to Congress, and yesterday saw Pale weighing in on the banking crisis. He says Wall Street's biggest lenders may have to increase capital requirements by twenty percent.
Speaker 24: The capital requirements will be very very skewed to the eight largest banks. The jesips there may be some capital increases for the other banks, and they won't.
Speaker 14: I'm not.
Speaker 24: I think none of this should affect banks under one hundred billion.
Speaker 18: Pal made those comments before the Senate Banking Committee as he wrapped up two days of congressional testimony.
Speaker 17: Sticking with the banking sector, plenty of other news to catch you up on this morning. Nathan Blackrock says it's cutting staff. The firm says it's shifting its budget to support critical priorities. Blackrock says the move will affect less than one percent of employees.
Speaker 18: And City Group's ramping up. It's pushed to get its workers back in the office. Karen, The firm's telling managers to let staff know they will face consequences if they don't comply with office attendance policies. We get the details from Bloomberg's Charlie Pellett.
Speaker 25: Sources tell Bloomberg. While the vast majority of staffers are following the firm's rules for hybrid work, the moves are focused on those employees with persistent, unexplained absences. A source as managers will consider compliance with the rules when rating performance and crafting pay packages. City Group is widely seen as to be among the most amenable financial firms when it comes to flexible work arrangements. Following the COVID nineteen pandemic in New York, Charlie Pellett Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 17: All right, Charlie, thanks well. Another big bank has made a settlement involving litigation over Jeffrey Epstein. JP Morgan has agreed to pay two hundred and ninety million dollars to settle a lawsuit alleging it knowingly benefited from Epstein's sex trafficking. The deal has been okayed by the lead plaintiff, but must still be approved by a judge. Last month, Deutsche Bank agreed to pay seventy five million dollars to settle its Epstein related lawsuit.
Speaker 18: And the settlement's been reached. In the first US Zantac cancer law sup British drugmaker GSKS reached a deal with a man who claimed the drug maker's heart burnt medication caused his cancer. This is Bloomberg, and now it's time to take a look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world. Good Morning, Michael barn Good morning.
Speaker 14: Nathan pen Dot says the temporary lanes of I ninety five will reopen today in Philadelphia. Cruz have been working twenty four to seven since the portion of the interstate collapsed. On June eleventh, Transportation Secretary Mike Carroll reached out to Ricky Durst at the Pocono Raceway to see if the state could use its dryer to keep moisture off the road.
Speaker 1: It is a jet engine.
Speaker 22: It's gonna blow out about fourteen hundred at fourteen hundred three spahrenheit.
Speaker 2: It's about three pounds of forty, As the.
Speaker 22: Secretary says, it's buckled into a shabby Silverado, so it's a little bit of Frankenstein theme.
Speaker 14: Pen Dot says during the asphalt paving there were concerns that rain would hold up repair crews. A judge just blocked Wyomi first in the nation ban on abortion pills before it was set to be implemented July first. Several states have banned abortion outright or restricted access to abortion pills. The ruling comes just ahead of the one year anniversary of the Supreme Court, essentially overturning Roe v. Wade in battle Congressman George Santos is slamming a judge for revealing his father and aunts were the ones who co signed a bail bond to keep him out of jail.
Speaker 18: My whole thing around keeping the sureties secret.
Speaker 6: What's for their safety? Because of the death threats I.
Speaker 18: Get, I can handle that I ran for public office, stated not you're private citizens.
Speaker 2: Ones a United States Postal worker, the other ones a painter.
Speaker 14: A request granted to when seal court records revealed the Long Island Republican's father and on co signed the five hundred thousand dollars bond that enabled Santos's release as he awaits trial on federal charges of fraud, money laundering, and theft of public funds. Prosecutors in New Mexico filed a new charge against the armorer on the set of the movie rust Annagutierras Reed is now accused of evidence tampering related to narcotics in connection with the fatal shooting of cinematographer Helena Hutchins. The FDA is doubling down on banning e cigarettes. It's warning store owners stop selling fruit and candy flavored vapes, saying they pose a danger to young people, Global news twenty four hours a day, powered by more than twenty seven hundred journalists and analysts in over one hundred twenty countries. I'm Michael Barr, and this is Bloomberg. Nathan.
Speaker 1: All right, Michael, thank you.
Speaker 18: Time now for the Bloomberg Sports Update with John Stashauer.
Speaker 19: All right, Nathan, and the Yankee game pretty much over before the Yanks came to the plate. They were already chilling Seattle four nothie. Mariners then scored twice in each of the next three innings. It was ten to enough it until in Isaiah Connor Fillff at two run homer bottom of the ninth. Ikf had pitched a perfect top of the ninth. Mariners won ten to two. Of getting swept Yankees os Texas tonight. Mets are in Philadelphia. They had good success with the Phillis last season, and they swept them a few weeks ago. But since that sweep, the Phillies have gone thirteen and four and the Mets have gone four and thirteen. The Jets back in March acquired veteran safety Chuck Clark from Baltimore. He tore his acl an off season practice. He'll miss the season, can Victor wem ben Yama live up to a tremendous amount of five nineteen years old from France, seven foot four, best NBA prospects since Lebron James drafted first overall by San Antonio and focusing on team goals.
Speaker 8: Some prers have tried to win the championship, win a ring for years and haven't made it, And I want to. I don't want to be one of those, you know, so you know the this is gonna be. My goal is going to be to get closer and closer every time to the ring.
Speaker 19: Charlotte with the second Cook took Alabama's Brandon Millard. Portland followed with Stude Henderson who played in the G League, and then Houston and Detroit and consecutive picks took twin brothers a men in Astair Thompson. The Nets back to back first picks took Noah Clowney from Alabama, then Dukes Derek Whitehead another big NBA trade. Chris Paul now goes from Washington to Golden State for Jordan Poole. Travelers Golf near Hard for Jenny McCarthy leads by two. Rory McElroy trails by eight, when McElroy had the first hole in one of his pro career John stash that went Bloomberg Sports.
Speaker 10: From coast to coast, from New York to San Francisco, Boston to Washington, DC, nationwide on Syrias exam the Bloomberg Business app in Bloomberg dot Com. This is Bloomberg Day Break.
Speaker 18: Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager. With the explosion of chat GPT over the past year, companies are looking to implement artificial intelligence across their businesses. But what will the future look like with AI in it? Open AI CEO and co founder Sam Altman joined our Emily Chang at the Bloomberg Technology Summit. They discussed existential questions about AI and what should be done to regular this powerful technology. Let's listen in to part of that discussion.
Speaker 26: Now, there's many ways it could go wrong, but we work with powerful technology that can be used in dangerous ways very frequently in the world, and I think we've developed over the decades good safety system practices in many categories. It's not perfect, and this won't be perfect either. Things will go wrong, but I think we'll be able to mitigate some of the worst scenarios. You could imagine, you know, bioterror is like a common example, cybersecurities another like many more we could talk about. But the main thing that I feel is important about this technology is that we are on an exponential curve and a relatively steep one, and human intuition for exponential curves is like really bad in general. It clearly was not that important in our evolutionary history, and so I think we have to given that we all have that weakness. I think we have to like really push ourselves to say, okay, GPT four you know not at risk like you're talking about there, but how sure we the GPT nine won't be And if it might be, even if there's a small percentage chance of it being really bad, like that.
Speaker 2: Deserves great care.
Speaker 27: And if there is that small percentage chance, why keep.
Speaker 11: Doing this at all?
Speaker 26: Like why not stop a I think that the upsides here are tremendous, you know, opportunity for everyone on earth to have a better quality education than basically anyone can get today. That seems like really important, and that'd be a bad thing to stop medical care And what's I think going to happen there and making that available, like truly globally. That's going to be transformative, the scientific progress we're going to see. I'm a big believer that, like, real sustainable improvements in quality of life come from scientific and technological progress, and I think we're gonna have a lot more of that.
Speaker 6: So there are all the.
Speaker 26: Obvious benefits, and you know, like I think it'd be good to end poverty, Like maybe you think we should stop a technology that can do that. I personally don't, but we got to manage through the risk to get there. I also think at this point, given how much people see the economic benefits and potential, no company could stop it. But global regulation, which I only think should be on these like powerful existential risk level systems. Global regulation is hard, and you know you don't want to overdo it for sure, but I think global regulation can help make it safe, which is a better answer than stopping it. I also don't think stopping it would work.
Speaker 27: Let's talk about the global regulation. You've been around the world meeting with regulators, you met with President Biden and the CEOs of Microsoft and Google, and you're calling for regulation, but with some caveats. The critics say it sounds like you're saying regulate us but not really, or that you are calling for regulation in public but lobbying for something else in private.
Speaker 18: How would you respond.
Speaker 26: To that we're pushing for it in private too. I mean, obviously, like we have some opinions about the ways to do it that'll be effective and it'll be ineffective. We for example, don't think small startups and open source models below a certain very high capability threshold should be subject to a lot of regulation. But also we think it is super important that as we think about a system that could be at a risk level, like you were talking about, that, we have a global and as a coordinated response as possible. So we've been talking about that publicly privately I think it's really important. You know, you could like point out that it's we're like trying to do regulatory capture here or whatever, but I just don't. I think that's like so transparently intellectually dishonest. I don't even know how to respond.
Speaker 27: You have an incredible amount of power at this moment in time.
Speaker 26: Why should we trust you?
Speaker 1: You shouldn't?
Speaker 26: You know me for a long time public talking like I'd rather be in the office working, But I think at this moment in time, like people deserve basically as much time asking questions as they want. I'm trying to show up and do it. But more to that, like, no one person should be trusted here. I don't have super voting shares. I don't want them. The board can fire me. I think that's important. I think the board over time needs to get like democratized to all of humanity. There's many ways that could be implemented. But the reason for our structure, and the reason it's so weird, is we think this technology, the benefits, the access to it, the governance of it, belongs to humanity.
Speaker 2: As a whole.
Speaker 26: If this really works, it's like quite a powerful technology, and you should not trust one company and certainly not one person.
Speaker 18: This is Bloomberg Daybreak Today, your morning brief on the story's making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 17: Look for us on your podcast feed at six am Eastern each morning on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 18: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh six's one in Boston and Bloomberg nine sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 17: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty plus.
Speaker 18: Listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, serious XM Channel one nineteen, the iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot com.
Speaker 1: I'm Nathan Hager and.
Speaker 17: I'm Karen Moscow. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak