Speaker 1: To this day, I feel weird eating pepperoni on my pizza. Why because if you ate pork, you know, back then you were a sucker, you know what I mean? Like or you hid that ship they like if you listen to the East Coast tipob generation brother. By the way, the eighties ran a train on y'all. We're going.
Speaker 2: If my pepperoni wasn't there, I was, you know, stuff crust just came out.
Speaker 3: My chips in your.
Speaker 1: Kala bears are.
Speaker 3: Racist money and turkey stuff.
Speaker 1: Ya can't tell me.
Speaker 4: Everlasting omni presence is my present state of being seen, the unpleasant sight of righteous souls live like peasants, the mind stunts growth in adolescents, welcome little Mama's and gentiles the light to another phenomenal episode of My Mama told me crazy.
Speaker 5: Maybe we dive deep pockets black conspiracy theories.
Speaker 2: And we finally worked to prove whatever it is we're doing here today.
Speaker 1: You know what that's from? What? Uh? You ever like Quincy Jones album Back on the Block? Yeah? Wow, part on that? Yeah yeah yeah. I used to play that when I was a little kid. It was like, I don't think it really means anything, but I was a kid. I used to listen to that ship over and over.
Speaker 5: You know, I thought it was gonna be like Pharaoh monk oh yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I just feel like.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of the same rhyme with words bigger.
Speaker 1: I thought it was clan. Yeah, everybody, everybody was on that, especially anybody who was in New York based at that time. Right, right, what year did that album come out? Is that ninety nineteen ninety.
Speaker 2: Maybe around there. Yeah, was a kind of rap that. As a kid from the West Coast, I thought everybody in New York was smart, you really, just like the whole like just like early nineties New York rap. I was like, this genus.
Speaker 1: Is yeah you know what I mean? Yeah, King T No, no like swaying King Tech. Yeah yeah, who's the guy who did fuck Compton? Who is that? I don't know who that is.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking about King T am I making that up. You know what's funny. I recently spent a little time with Twist, and Twista was talking about King T.
Speaker 1: That West Coast rapper out of Compton.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, he was a Twist named King T is one of his his big influences early. Really, I can see that. I can see that.
Speaker 1: Uh you know what I've been thinking. N yeah. Man. Uh.
Speaker 2: The fact that all these all AI influencers are starting out black feels like some sinister way for them to control the culture.
Speaker 1: It's real nasty.
Speaker 2: It's it's like it feels like the worst ship coming out were the AI influencers. I don't think I know this. It's gonna upset you.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Wait, we're saying these are like fake. It's like a timblance thing, right, but not.
Speaker 2: A musician, Like it's just a So it's just like a fake black woman who's like goes to McDonald's.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's crazy.
Speaker 5: And she talks about like an argument she got in at work and like, oh, this is a funny thing that happened to me, but like she's not real.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: I saw one where it was like it was supposed to be a black female soldier celebrating the ceasefire of Iran in Israel, and she was like pleasant being the peace makers, like she's got all these like other soldiers mainly white, like cheering behind her. And of course it turned out it was fake. It wasn't a real soldiery. They want a black coat side, so bad on this. It does a lot of work for them.
Speaker 2: It's really put there to do boxing into such lengths. It's a lot of water to make that ship. Man, it's a lot of water.
Speaker 1: This man.
Speaker 5: One of them, Diamond and Silk died and they're like, we need we got we need a replacement.
Speaker 1: There is a hole in our roster. We lost diamond.
Speaker 2: I don't give a funk about the salary. Yeah, diving was definitely a power forward as far.
Speaker 5: As Yeah, I don't even know she's the devil, but yeah whatever, one of them Milk, diamond or they did.
Speaker 1: One of them, one of them died, one of them. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Do you ever think there's like a diamond and silk who were just like stripping out of a club in Houston, Like, damn, I hate that.
Speaker 5: Oh right, that diamond and Silk wasn't originally like somebody had made that.
Speaker 1: Comy it come together. No, not at all.
Speaker 5: Yeah, diamonds on silk sounds exquisite. Yeah, that sounds nice. I I will say silk. I always have some trepidation. I'm too fat for silk. Yeah, it's just it's hot. It's hot. Silk has hurt you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, I had some Silk Boxers at the time, and it's like, man, you don't even go up to two XL.
Speaker 1: Then yeah, if this is what it's gonna do, what it's going to be, Like, are you a silk guy, dude? I never I never really thought about it before. I'm embarrassed to say that. I don't know enough about them to know which one passed. But I do know that, uh that that co sign is so important, you know, like, uh, you know, and Cannice Owens was their coast sign for a long time, but then she went off, she went road, and she went road a little bit and aruably back to her roots. Arguably.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, she's still being a dick about it. But yeah, she's i mean, pretending she's on Black People's it's scary.
Speaker 1: It's all very she's a little yeah, I mean like it's it's it's weird times. Obviously, I don't want to get into anything too timely because we want this to be an evergreen sure podcast, but like we do, it's a really weird that's the good. I want them to consume it this week and not think about it again. That's true, that's true. I was just gonna say, like, you know, it's just it's just weird. I I'm still from that old school, you know crew that thinks that, like, you know, it's you gotta like look out for your folks. But I guess a person like Canna thinks that that's exactly what she's doing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I, or at least has has created an illusion where she pretends that that's what she's thinking. She we haven't even introduced you yet.
Speaker 1: I've just been talking no.
Speaker 5: And that's how we prefer. Frankly, it works better when y'all just jump in rather than look at us be idiots for as long as we can sometimes be. But our guest today, we couldn't be excited more excited that he said.
Speaker 1: We couldn't be excited. We couldn't be excited. This sucks. This sucks that he came. We invited them. We thought he wouldn't show up. We put some nasty messages in that invite. I never read too long, didn't read. He's phenomenal. You know him.
Speaker 5: You know him as one of the creators of Southside, you know him as one of the creators of Sherman Showcase. My former boss uh we we my my nemesis on screen.
Speaker 1: I love that. I do love that we have that legacy.
Speaker 5: We will always be Yeah, and Adam Bethune.
Speaker 2: He can ask you, guys, because you're in the room. Now, what's that Bethune is such a specific last name? Does that come from a person that someone new?
Speaker 1: We could talk about that.
Speaker 5: Oh, I know his answer, but he won't admit his answer. And I only know his answer because Basher eventually broke and gave me the answer of where this original character.
Speaker 2: It's too specific names too, It's too specific in a way that feels real.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. I know the exact source of this character. Can't wait. But you know, like it says in the NFL all credits, you know, none of these cacharacters are based on living.
Speaker 2: Of course, I believe everything I read after TV shows you have to man.
Speaker 5: He and more importantly most importantly, hosts a brilliant podcast called One Song Give It Up for our guest, mister Diallo Riddle City by Yeah.
Speaker 1: City Boys, up for now, for now? Yea, Now, thanks for being here. I really like I'm but thanks for being here because I read those nasty messages and we did think for a second. You know what I'm going to show up and it's going to be a locked up building on you know, it's a shady street, it's very short. You know, there's a lot of I don't know the backstory on. I imagine it's it's probably racist, but that's maybe. Don't say the street name anymore. Our fans are on him, it's like a problem.
Speaker 2: They're mostly I've had a lot of memories on this street that may not go named because I used to Well, I can't.
Speaker 1: Talk about it anyway.
Speaker 5: Let's go No, it's okay, let's okay, diolo. You came to us with two conspiracies today. Yes, we're going to start with the first one and then we'll find our way to the second one. I think is the natural segue that I've imagined.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk about it, because you know, I got so much love online for my last appearance on the show. You came on and you you put your fist down and said, I don't think Michael Jackson had it appropriate. I think he had an appropriate relationship with this kid. I don't think he was having sex with him. And then a lot of people came out of the wood where you're like, oh, man, you must be a part of the Illuminati. Like you know, people just thought I was like, you sick, you had those freak offs. We didn't know about the freak offs. Yeah, but see that was a I wish we could have done that episode back then because no, seriously, nobody ever thinks about vaginal intercourse for the Illuminati.
Speaker 2: WHOA I think I think the good order with traditional sex, but can I eat aals still pretty traditional?
Speaker 1: This is now, this is your rehima. Can I just say My college roommate was Ryan Leslie. You know what I'm saying. I remember he was like the first creative person that I ever met who had he is the dollars off of just being creative. And at the same time I would be like, oh man, what's it like, you know, like working at like the highest level. He's like, well, you gotta remember I worked for Public. Like I could see the stress come over his face just for saying like, well, you know, I worked for a guy. And that was about the time I was like, you know what, it's a bad sign when everybody you worked with, every single person you work with, you've had a major falling out with, you know, and the one person who you did have a major public falling out with died in front of the Peterson Museum. You know what I'm saying, Like.
Speaker 5: On one of the busiest streets offer absolutely like truly in retrospect and insane place for a person to get murdered.
Speaker 1: There was more traffic on that street back then. I feel like the old min Woeshire area was kind of popping back then. Like when you first moved to la you got an apartment on mid Waleshire and then you would go shopping to the Beverly Center. Like our center of gravity, especially for black folks, was very different back then. Bad Burger was still popular. We didn't really fuck within and now so you go to the fat Burger that used to be right by the Beverly Center. This is like ninety nine shit, you know what I mean. When I first moved out here, So.
Speaker 5: Diallo your first conspiracy that you came with today, I got so many, you said, my mama told me.
Speaker 1: The music industry decided against the rap would replace the militant sound of public Enemy and explain. You know, as a hip hop fan in the late eighties, in the early earliest nineties, you know you couldn't miss the fact that hip hop had become, as Chuck D said the CNN for black people. You know what I'm saying, It was a time when, like you know, and a lot of our earliest political views were formed in this you know, concoction made of like bomb squad hip hop production beats and like the furious sort of like I'm going to let you know it. It was a very sort of preacher style of rap to Chuck D became famous. You were learning a lesson, You were learning stuff. Man, we're heading for self destruction. KRS one was huge. Ex Klan was huge, Like we were getting a huge just quoting cool mod Like everybody, especially on the on the West Coast in the you know, late eighties, really was coming up with this very pro black vibe that you felt like was born in Harlem on one twenty fifth near Shrine seven, you know what I'm saying. Like even people who weren't known for like necessarily political rapping, like the Far Side, they were like, if there's pork in your bowl, it's jacobou tah what it's jigaboota like think about it, like you know, and like Wu Tang and Tribe and all of them were like five percenters. You know. It was just it was a different time in hip hop, but it wasn't a long time in hip hop. Y. I would say from like you know, maybe eighty eight, when it takes a nation of millions to hold us back. People forget Yo Bum rushed the show by Public Enemy. I think that's eighty six or eighty seven. It wasn't. It had some of that political stuff, but it wasn't like the Driving Force. It takes a nation of millions to hold us back with songs like you know, I got a letter from the government the other day. I read, opened it and read it said it with suckers, you know, like from that album. I would say, all the way until the Chronic there was that's grain years. That's only like four years, I would argue came out ninety two, Chronic came out, I want to say, either late ninety one or like April ninety two. But I do think West killed hip hop. I don't think it killed it, but I do think that the shiny production of dre as opposed to the almost cluttered see here's what Citra, the clutter production of the Bomb Squad. It was like people made a choice and the choice was g funk clean production. Like it just it changed overnight. And I feel like I was the perfect age to witness that change because and I hope I'm not being low witted here, but when I did an episode of our podcast with Questlove, but we were listening to the Bomb Squad production, one of the thirty year old producers on our show was like, man, there's no base in this, and I was like, wow, you're right. Bublic Keenemy didn't really have like it wasn't it was. It was based for like a beat up Sony walkman, right, you know what I mean. It was a lot more about like the snare than it was the base. Krona came out. Everybody was at alan As trying to put woofers in their trunk, you know what I'm saying, because the base that ate a weight, It's I always said, they ate a wight is like a black man's massage, you know what I mean. It's like those It's like those chairs that you used to see. It like the car wash that you like put a quarner in and get a massage like you Oh, it was like it was warm, it was comforting. As a friend of mine one said when you hear that ate A wait, the conversation is complete, you know what.
Speaker 5: I and you're saying that that was a conscious choice to sort of like make this shit carely say, and a subconscious one that they then accepted at large.
Speaker 1: Well, look, I think it can go one or two ways. My brother, who's older than me, you know, love Public Enemy. I'm gonna be talking a lot about my brother Tony in this episode because he's the person who sort of, maybe more than my mama, introduced me to both of these ideas. Yeah, and he never got into like gangster rap. He never really even got into like mob deep and like the East Coast version of whatever gangster rap was and the you know, the bad boy sound. He never got into that. He loved Public Enemy for his political message. We would often get into debates because he was like, I think they decided, look, we can't have black people feeling like this militant is definitely like, you know, you got to remember it culturally, Spike Lee's do the Right Thing comes out, you know, fight the powers like a number one jam in the streets, you know what I'm saying. And then literally in about eighteen months, it didn't even like two years eighteen months later, it's the chronic. It's doctor Dre It's like Snoop. I used to take the point of view that people like this music more and you know music in our Message, which was another public Enemdia album or can't trust it, Like, I felt like they lost the youth, they lost the sound, they lost the years, and this other stuff was just more esthetically pleasing. It didn't have the political message, you know, at least not stated the same way. Do you where do you put into Wa in this timeline? Then? Oh, okay, So here's what's interesting in Wa. NWA, I would say, sort of started to blow up in like nineteen eighty eight. Okay, so there are two trains running at the same time. On the East coast, you've got everybody from Kolmo d to Public Enemy, like you've got Kris Won a big factor in all this, right ex clan, they're all poor, righteous teachers, they're all on one thing. On the West coast, the dominant force is in Wa. And I'll never forget the first time I heard in w A. It was the one white guy at my high school who was really into NWA and we had to ride to the science the science Fair together. He's like, he's like, you listen to this, and I remember, you know easy like you know or ice Cube. We all said fuck you bitch, just kept going, you know, like I was like, what the hell is listen to? But he was really into it. And I found out once I got to college, I was like, yo, n w A had tons of white fans, like it definitely had like it's it's it's street thing. But like most of the black kids, I went to school that was pretty much one hundred percent black. We had three non black students. We had Joel, we had who, we had crazy.
Speaker 5: Trand Okay, and we.
Speaker 2: Had whorehe Ramos and I remember its crazy. I assumed the three were going to be white. That's not no.
Speaker 1: We had a unitedations of non black students, three out of like six hundred kids at our school. And it just so happened that Joel was one of the biggest n WA fans. I think we know why. I think that's the survival was he.
Speaker 2: Was surrounding is scared and alone.
Speaker 1: He needs to feel strong. He had something rebellians, and he found his voice of rebellion.
Speaker 2: The Devil was School, Atlanta, Georgia, Okay, So do you not feel like do you feel like it was similar things on the West Coast where the music was coming out of you. I'm sorry say that, like because you're talking about like it just feels like regional more than it feels like a direct effort to like you know what I mean, they were gang banging out here.
Speaker 1: It's like what they were on, right, Yeah, there was something of the sauce in l A. I mean, like there were rappers like King T who I feel like we're trying to get on that ex clan bo you know what I mean. Like if you go back and listening to some of his stuff, people forget that. When Ice Cube eventually leaves an NWA, what's the first thing he does. He gets the loan to become his bodyguards and he releases I believe it was America's most wanted He got on the militant, you know what I mean, Like that was his way of sort of stepping away from what Easy and the rest of them were doing. If they were doing sort of like an apolitical this is street life ice Cube was doing. You know, fuck you ice Cube, Like he was like he was taking on the man.
Speaker 5: You know what I mean, so yeah, he really shifted like fuck the police into political sort of like jargon, not just like survival technique.
Speaker 1: Right by the way, the guys, my core group of friends who were all into public anyway at the time, Ice Cube was our West Coast rapper when he made that transition, because he's like, oh see now, now the West Coast is about to get like you know what they're doing out here. By the way, we're in Atlanta. Atlanta doesn't really have a seam a hip hop sis, right, Like everybody at our school basically had to make a choice. You either listened to West Coast or West Coast at Jason stuff like there was pooh Man out of out of Texas. I think, you know, I was wondering, what were you guys into Texas stuff? There was there were again, there there were two constituencies. There was the people who listened to Scarface and West Coast or you were like my click, which was like who are righteous teachers? Tribe called quest Day La Soul, you know what I mean? There was no like regional sceni. Yet you know, we had y'allso Stupid, which was a group that is long, you know what I mean, Hey, listen, go back and listen to you also stupid, not bad. There was a group called Parental Advisory.
Speaker 5: That's such a funny way, go back and listen.
Speaker 1: They tried their best. Actually, don't think listen, I don't. I'm trying to remember who they tried to sound like. The Parental Advisory was another group that eventually became Rico Wade and eventually became Dungeon.
Speaker 2: Family and Organization. Yeah, so like the seas were there, but nobody was popping.
Speaker 1: If you went to an Atlanta party in nineteen nine one, which I did in uh was I in middle school? I think I was in middle school. It was all bass music. It was all booty shape. It was three hours of Luther Campbell and Gucci Gucci Crew and Black Pack and all that kind of music. Like, yeah, it was just it was just we was just booty shaking and yiking it up.
Speaker 5: So like when you talk about this, uh, this supposed transition, right, is this a music industry that you're picturing sort of like making a collective call.
Speaker 1: So the collective call, according to you know, my brother and I think there might be something to this is that it's easy to forget how controversial Public Enemy was at the time, like they even start off one of their albums with like, oh, I see these guys how they opened for the Beastie Boys. I was so offensive. I was so offended, Like, you know, they've got like the typical white guy calling you calling guy caller who we don't know. I could be like, oh, that was the you know, the Robert Downey Junior show or whatever that is, like you know.
Speaker 2: Robert Downey ju there was a guy more down U that is, you know, like.
Speaker 1: He would probably tell you the source. But like, there were a lot of people who were like, what Public Enemy is doing is not cool. And listen, there's some lyrics there that are questionable. But what ended up happening was, at least according to some, was this idea that hey, why don't we you know, you know, take this in a different direction because there was more gatekeeping back in music industry in general back then, for quality control reasons and for messaging. You know, Like, it's just hard for me to believe that they actually just sat down and did it when I know that, you know, riding the band bus, you know games, I know what kids were getting excited about, and we were getting excited you know, there was like a transition around ninety one ninety two where I don't think p would have fit into it because they were still doing their political message music. Meanwhile, me and my friends are hitting puberty and we wanted to hear Joonasy. We wanted to hear Mary J. Blige's first album, you know what I mean like here, So there wasn't like a conscious decision on it. I don't I don't think on any of our behalf to start listening to a more party salacious. Uh, let's look up a girl's type music. I think that's look up to a girl to a public enemy.
Speaker 5: Try.
Speaker 1: To chill.
Speaker 5: You got to turn that down, man, I'm trying to get some pussy over here.
Speaker 1: Literally tell public less chill, you know, like we need. Is bumming me out.
Speaker 5: I literally can't.
Speaker 1: I can't vote yet. You wish you to break what I can do? I can't do his finger. Yeah, I could get some back. We're gonna take a break.
Speaker 5: We need to take a break, and when we come back, we're going to do some research. I did some research on this conspiracy that I want to throw away more Diallo riddle more.
Speaker 1: My mama told me.
Speaker 3: Yea I look you good, I'll feel good and you sing good and.
Speaker 1: Make love good. Oh we're back, We're back. I know that clip.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I love that that interviews I think ever recording man uh diallo. We're still talking about this conspiracy that there was somehow a conscious effort to change the music industry. And while there aren't a lot of official records on what this was, one of the conspiracy theories, or rather the root of the conspiracy theory, comes from a supposed meeting, of a literal meeting that they had between a bunch of record executives out here in LA. In fact, this originally comes from a supposed letter that got sent to a site called hip hop is Read on April twenty fourth, twenty twelve. Now, in the letter, there's this synonymous source that claims to have been present at a nineteen ninety one meeting where a number of music decision makers were all there. It was comprised of twenty five to thirty people equally powerful in the music industry, and they as well as about five attendees who no one knew. Apparently they were also like shadowy figures.
Speaker 1: Didn't even couldn't even place, but were allowed to sign Yeah, this is a dark restaurant, shadowy figures, it's just dargeting there.
Speaker 5: They say that this meeting was basically exactly what has always been theorized that these these recordar executives were buying into public or private prisons. That essentially they had gotten some sweet deal on buying private prisons, and they needed to fill the private prisons, and the movement of ex Clan of Public Enemy all these groups was not helping to serve the filling of these private prisons. Thus they need gangster rap to become the sort of like replacing source.
Speaker 1: Well, let me tell you why this does track. There's a there's an artist in an album that I haven't mentioned at all. Iced Tea came out with cop Killer, Yeah, which is which was a rock song rock rap hybrid that I feel like very few rap people even listen to.
Speaker 2: I hate it. It's not the greatest, it's not great music, but it caused such a stir when it came out, like, you know, fuck, the police had caused some ruggers cop killer just like it was on the nightly news like all the time, and they started putting labels on music, and that I think that that I'm pretty sure that like Warner Brothers had to like release its you know, contract on that album and stuff. It's a very in terms of censorship, a very important record, and I do believe that it probably came out in ninety or ninety one. I totally believe that in the light of cop Killer, in addition to all this x CLAM stuff, there's a lot of you know, cross pollination with Public Enemy and the Minister Lewis Ferricon at the time. I do believe that they would probably say, you know what, fuck this, you know, like we have to start, you know, monitoring what we are releasing to the public.
Speaker 1: Yeah. At the same time, it's ironic that the chronic you know, I think I think two things can be true. I think that meeting could have absolutely taken place. But I also think that Dre is just an incredibly talented person. I think that he had been working and listening with the rap group Above the Law, which you know, if you guys don't know, I'd go find the song Black Superman. It's a great song they were experimenting with using that high synth that everybody associates with Job. He's using the same studio over here, on kuwanga that they're using. So they're listening to each other, and the Chronic came out, I want to say, right before Above the Law dropped their album, so he kind of came out first. And so because I'll tell you, when the kind of came out, you knew it was a game change. Yeah, you knew that that album was. It's like get Richard Died Trying. There's certain albums when they come out you're like, oh, it's gonna be hard for for hip hop to go back to whatever it was after this album, and everybody's got a dress like this. Oh yes, yeah exactly. He came out and I said, I gotta get a bulletproof best exactly exactly. I just think that it's like when Graduation Beat whatever fifty album was coming out at that time, you know, after the Chronic, just everything else sounded so old and to a teenage or a young teenager, things that are two years ago or like really old. Yeah, that's right. I do think it's the sixth of my life ago.
Speaker 5: I do think that to your point there there is sort of like this nasty presumption that the music wasn't evolving and getting better, but it was just like lateral shift to gangster Ship. Instead of it being like no, they were for real pushing the art form. They just also happened to be talking about a different type of violence.
Speaker 1: And by the way, I you know, some of it is just star power. Like when Snoop came into the studio, he was in the studio while they were recording the Chronic every single day, right, they said you couldn't kick Snoop back because he was like, this is my one chance to do anything in life. So he was like nineteen right, he was like there are other rappers who were supposed to be just his biggest Snoop on the Chronic, but like he didn't leave the studio, you know what I'm saying, So, like, you know, Warren g would even be like, hey, you know, we thought, hey this is cool, but let's go let's go out and do something. That stud was like I'm here. He was like, I'm just going to record my vocals over and over. I'm going to make sure they sound perfect. And so by the time the Chronic comes out, not only is Dre like sort of peeking in terms of his production prowess, He's got this six foot something tall, skinny dude, who you know is an absolute you know.
Speaker 5: It's a beat like we've never heard before.
Speaker 1: It kind of looks like a dopamin and has I'm going to make a billion dollars and he and and content wise, he's been more influenced by what was going on with n w A than with Public Enemy all these there are days, there are songs like the day the Niggas took over. There are there are attempts to talk about the riots in l A at that time, But it's not a political album the same way this is a street life album. And after that, like the you know, the East Coast even changes to adapt, you know, so all of a sudden, it's not the Day Last Souls and the tribes who are doing their own type of militant, you know, sort of pro black messaging. It becomes like, what what is what is the what is the East Coast version of this? It's mob deep, you know what I'm saying, it's plus you know, we're going to talk about the street life that's going on in our hoods.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I I as as sort of a dorky ass attempt at unpacking this. Did a Google search of does rap music lead to violence, which I know is a very.
Speaker 1: Cop You said it's all. That's all you said it. I respond with, well, that's the thing.
Speaker 5: So this in two thousand and six, the question about a study about a study from two thousand and six from the Prevention Research Center of the Pacific Institute for Research. There's a lot of research and evaluation in Berkeley, California which suggests young people who listen to rap and hip hop are more likely to abuse alcohol and commit violent X. Now, one of the key points that they harp on in this study show that increased alcohol consumption related to alcohol's promotion in the songs. Right that, like, the more you hear about it promoted, the more you're likely to consume it. When passive Kevasier comes out, KVASI cs bigger numbers. Right Now, Here's where it gets a little short sighted for me is that ultimately, at its best, I think they're saying that alcohol sales overall have gone up simply by doing that. But it's not necessarily addressing the.
Speaker 1: Black of it.
Speaker 5: All right, that's just this is popular, therefore people are doing it, But that's not talking about black people. That's not necessarily talking about kids specifically, and then in two thousand and two, there was a study that found that black kids statistically actually drink less alcohol despite being exposed to sixty six percent more ads for beer and ale sales and eighty one percent more ads for spirits. That like, we are constantly being barbared with this shit and are not drinking at the same time.
Speaker 1: I just say, when I when I first got to college, every every white kid there had a fake ID, every single one, and most of the black kids did not drink at all. No, So I one hundred percent believe that. And look, let's let's let's let's get real. All of the street crimes that you know Snoop was trying to be sound like a pimp from the seventies, Well, there was no gangster rap in the seventies. I reject this idea that all of a sudden, because of gangster rap that things got more violent. I think that there were things that were already there. They would have been there if we've been listening to the whole to the Ohio players, I think I don't know, yeah, one hundred percent, I think that the ball was already in motion.
Speaker 5: I don't I think to your to your earlier earliest point.
Speaker 1: This is, uh, this is a reflection of the community at large, regardless of what they decide ends up on the radio. Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Our our neighborhoods, legit are looking and experiencing these things. It's not it's not like, oh suddenly we just started making up yeah because we saw or because the music execs were like, hey, you got to be violent now, yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, No, we'll stab each other and kill each other.
Speaker 1: We're fucking crazy. But I do think listen. As much as I don't believe hip hop is to blame, I do think that sometimes you can pour you can pour poison on a you know, on an already weakened plant, right, you know what I mean? Like and to a certain extent, I would be lying if I said, you know, some of those guys in my old in my middle school and high school who were listening to who Man did start selling drugs? You know what I'm saying. Sure, they weren't listening to the hip hop group, so we were listening. So it is. I don't know. I don't know if it's a causal, but I do know that sometimes you can find justification to try some stuff. Because you're impressionable.
Speaker 5: I think, certainly there's a lot of shit that I did because I heard a rapper talk about it at some point.
Speaker 1: To a certain age. Most of the things I thought were cool, I was that's where it was.
Speaker 5: I was getting it from the source of hip hop artists or you know, in various ways.
Speaker 2: But I also think, and it depends on the hip hop artists, all right, common head, you trying to wear knit hats, And.
Speaker 5: I also think I think some of themselves listening to and I fully was like I wasn't engaging with Eminem behavior.
Speaker 1: No, not at all, you know.
Speaker 5: What I mean, Like I had no intent on putting a woman in a trunk.
Speaker 1: That wasn't like moving through life. I never thought Eminem was cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, listening to the music, it was not like I thought the music was good.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's these cartoons. I never listened to it player Eminem album. I could never listen to an Eminem album. I was never like, you know what I'm gonna I'm gonna pop in the real slim shady CD. Like that was never. I always I always give him props. I was like, clearly, this man is super talented. He's an amazing rapper, but a little bit like rage against the machine. At the time, he was somebody I respected over there. I wasn't gonna I wasn't gonna pop in the CD and listen to it from start. I also never liked wrap. I never cared.
Speaker 2: I don't care about the physical skill of it like our people like he wraps some triple kids and ship.
Speaker 1: Never that's not like that. I would respect that because of the roost was like that, like he would do. He would pull off some ship early jay Z would pull off like a not a pun but like an allegory. Exactly. They won't get the picture till the wet pins drawn, you know, like you still love ship like that. So every now and then, I.
Speaker 5: Was sitting in the back of my dad's Honda Civic listening to Marshall Math's LP and feeling big feelings. I ain't gonna pretend like I wasn't a big man. That said, I think ultimately it does presume sort of. It not only is reductive to the quality of the art form that got introduced, it also is shortsighted in how much these these things that we're adopting as kids, we're picking up for sure? Are permanent or just a thing I tried once and then never did again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I mean, Like it was just a phase you went through at fifteen.
Speaker 5: I'm just figuring myself out. And I would have done that no matter what the music was telling me to do. I just I just happened to see a dude tell me faster, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's funny.
Speaker 5: We're gonna take one more break and then we're gonna we're gonna unpack one more thing and then get up out of here. All right, mordiallo, riddle nor my mama told.
Speaker 1: Me pencil or a pen We're back. We're back.
Speaker 5: Write it down, Yeah, you go all, write it down, write it down. We got good stuff, Dillo. Before we went to break, or while we were arm break, you mentioned that you have one other conspiracy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, it concerns uh, you know a young man who's on your walls here, Michael Jordan. And uh, this is not shade. This is actually in some extra respect for those of us who occasionally will have something to drink. It is the idea that you know the famous flu game, Yeah, famous flu game. Yeah. Our theory is that that man did not have the flu. He was hungover. I've heard that. I've heard that many times. Yeah, okay, yeah, because there are people who claim they saw him out the night before.
Speaker 5: That's that's been a big claim, is that he was drinking, that the series was sort of in his hands.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was filming, he was he was celebrating early.
Speaker 5: He was celebrating a little early and and got sick from all that wine and autumn cards and cigars, smoke and whatnot.
Speaker 1: And sneaking out of the hotel room when Oakley was at the front door.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think when you Michael Jordan, you ain't even really got to sneak that he walks out the fronts.
Speaker 1: You ever heard that story, which one the one that he was sleeping with Oakley's old lady and us Oakley, so like he goes out over the balcony and scales down holy ship. Yeah, I heard that. The idea I heard that from a very famous rapper who I feel like would not lie about someone.
Speaker 5: But the idea that Michael Jordan would be uh somehow murdered by Charles Oakley and and that whole ship.
Speaker 1: It's the only person on the team who could have done it. He would have killed him. Yeah, only would have killed him. He would have killed him.
Speaker 5: He would have killed that man.
Speaker 1: It's the only person who he's like, that's fine, I got what I needed.
Speaker 2: I will say to the flu game of it all. I hear that, right, I hear the idea that he was out drinking. Michael Jordan was a dog in the way that. I don't think a hangover pizza him like that. I mean the amount, the amount that he would have to consume to have him not able to play it all, and it was still the night before a game. He still knew what was going on. You know what I'm saying. It's just it feels like too much to me.
Speaker 5: For like, well, the the argument that he makes, or that has been made about for on Michael Jordan's behalf is the pizza, right, is that they they order a pizza at like some odd hour. Michael Jordan asked to order a pizza, and the pizza in theory is I've heard that all food poison, which is how he gets sick. Now, pizza late at night feels like a drunk ass move. Yeah, pizza at midnight. You got the midnight ass staff and don't finish cooking the way they're supposed to. They're putting Pepperoni's on after fuck we forgot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the doe hasn't hasn't fermented.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, it's just a little wet, and Michael don't notice because his mouth is numb.
Speaker 2: He's all he tastes tequila and Charles's wife.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I just like the idea of somebody walking out of the hotel and you see half half naked Michael Jordan's sailing down. Is that a you know, they called them cool names back then. Take the black Cat? Was that? I know that was the shoe.
Speaker 5: Were a lot of people saying that, calling him the black cat. Yeah, that was the nickname he tried to like get going.
Speaker 2: That's what that's always felt like, because you know he's bad at naming stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm the black Cat.
Speaker 5: There are little moments Michael Jordan's career where you get to see that that's just a crazy person. This isn't This isn't like this elevated brain, you know.
Speaker 1: What I mean. It was like a tall guy from North Carolina.
Speaker 5: He just happened to be so good at basketball and everything else.
Speaker 1: Is the psycho bath? Well, you're sure, and I imagine that once we found out there was you know, once I found out there was a Michael Jordan's steakhouse, and I was like, man, he looks like a guy who enjoys a good steak me and be sure. Don't know this this is based on no fact, but we imagine at some point a guy, you know, is talking to Michael and he's cutting into his fancy steak and he's like, Michael, you know kids, why kids are killing themselves over your sneakers. You got to lower the price. He's like, they're killing each other with my sniggers. They're that good.
Speaker 2: Then he just kept the price where it was. You know what's about the steakhouse too, is what was the playlist? Did he carry the playlist for the steakhouse? Because that sucks? That would be the worst steakhouse ever.
Speaker 5: I'll get is.
Speaker 1: That you would. Then we changed the world, all of our points of view because I studied it, we were inside.
Speaker 5: It was the best documentary ever made.
Speaker 2: I went drink for drink with him this.
Speaker 5: I think we solved it. I think we we did everything we were supposed to do together.
Speaker 1: I think we know that there was a vast conspiracy to put you know, n w A politics at the top, and I think it's safe to say that you know, Michael Jordan's party too hard.
Speaker 5: I think certainly there was an industry working to to promote a thing that already existed, and maybe some of those things should have been dealt with in a in an active way and not just reflecting at them, not us being angry at the music, but more angry at the systems at large. I think it's a fair way of maybe the stream about it.
Speaker 1: I think I think there was a big pushback on the idea. There was a there was a big pushback on this thing that they were all scared of being the next boogeyman, which was reverse racism. You see it, and you know the reaction to Public Enemy and X Clan. You see it when Bill Clinton shuts down Sister Soldier on that thing and then all of a sudden he rockets to the top of the Democratic Party. There's the cop killer controversy. I think everybody was scared of reverse racism. Hints. It does seem to make some sense, But I do also know that we as kids really like that eight Await base. It felt good. You want to it's cool, man, I was shy did that song without any instrumentation. We all wanted to be in a duop band.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you ever fall in love, I don't want to hear Public Enemy with my clothes on that.
Speaker 1: No makeout songs, not man, Come on, it's tough to. It's tough to.
Speaker 2: You got to be Professor Griff. You gotta meet kids where they're at. You gotta wear you gotta meet kids where they're at. The Public Enemy is for layers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's for is for multiple car cards. Yeah, for Timberland's in tall socks. Even though Rosie did look great dancing to Public Enemy, that's business in the beginning. Yeah, that's not how I dressed. That's our business. I said.
Speaker 2: I dance to a lot of stuff with that. It was it was the had because you watched the super cut, it's all the same move.
Speaker 1: That was my first on screen kiss as an actor, Kiss you. You might as well quit an NBC ship get the fut of here in twenty eighteen because I didn't. Yeah, I didn't have any kiss twenty eighteen. I want to put that out. Yeah, me and Rosie shared a smooch on the NBC Rise man Man Diallo.
Speaker 5: Tell the people where they can find you, and it better be Rosie Perez Lips.
Speaker 1: You can find me at Rosie fan you can find me on the Graham at Diallo. It's just six letters D I A L l O. If you find me there, you'll you'll you'll be in touch with me. Follow I'll find out everything about one song or anything else that that we're going. And by the way, can I just think for the record, we'd love to work with you guys on some of our future TV shows. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's very sweet. What you got.
Speaker 2: You can find me watching Rosie Perez supercuts. Sometimes I get a little down. Need to pick you up, you know what I'm saying. Cool guy, Choke City seven on Instagram.
Speaker 1: That's it. Yeah.
Speaker 5: You can follow me at Langston Herman and uh hell yeah, like subscribe, rate, review, do all the things you do to a podcast to make you succeed.
Speaker 1: Call maybe call us.
Speaker 5: At A four four Little Moms, we would love to hear from you, we think. Uh send us the emails at my Mama pod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: Most importantly, bye bitch, look an your name, but say he's a meat stretcher.
Speaker 2: He'll stretch on Meat Hall Da Lujah.
Speaker 5: My Mama Told Me is a production of Will Ferrell's Big Money Players Network and iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 1: Greeted and hosted by Langston KRK, co hosted by David Bori.
Speaker 2: Executive produced by Will Farrell, Hansni and Olivia Akilon. Co produced by Bee Wayne, edited and engineered by Justin.
Speaker 5: Kahmon, music by Nick Chambers.
Speaker 1: Artwork by Dogon Kriega.
Speaker 5: You can now watch episodes of My Mama Told Me on YouTube. Follow at My Mama Told Me and subscribe to our channel