Speaker 1: Welcome to Good Game with Sarah Spain, where we're still recovering from hearing Brandi Carlile sing Alanis Morissette's Uninvited live. Full body chills, y'all. It's Friday, August 28th, and on today's show, longtime WVET and Seattle Storm Center Steph Dolson joins us to discuss what she wants to get out of her final years in the league, why it's so important to have WNBA fans who actually know and love the game, the type of leadership she wants to see from Kathy Engelbert and Adam Silver moving forward, and how she handles talking to teammates about contentious issues. Plus, bench pointers, dreaming of another chip, and bracing for the lead. It's all coming up right after this. Welcome back, Slices. Here's what you need to know today. Let's start with the WNBA. On Thursday, it was confirmed that Dawana Bonner will sign with the Atlanta Dream for the conclusion of the WNBA regular season and playoffs. The move comes after Bonner and the Phoenix Mercury reached a buyout agreement earlier this week in order for the 17-year vet to sign with a playoff-bound team in what could be her final season in the league. Bonner cleared waivers on Wednesday evening, and per ESPN, her deal will be at the prorated maximum, equivalent to about $ 116, 000. Shout out to friend of the show Richard Cohen for doing the math, or as he would say, maths, explaining on Blue Sky that the prorated salary is based on the number of days remaining in the regular season. We'll link to his post in the show notes if you want to check it out. More WNBA. The Golden State Valkyries set a new franchise record on Wednesday with bench players scoring 54 points in the team's 89-64 win over the Connecticut Sun. Per StatMuse, the New York Liberty still hold the league-wide record for most points by a team off the bench in a game with 69 against the Mystics back in 2016. Leading from the bench for the Valks was Janelle Salon, who hit four three-pointers and finished the night with 15 points. Fellow bench players Kayla Charles and Kaitlyn Chen added 14 points and 10 points, respectively. No surprise that Salon was leading the way, by the way. She set a new WNBA record for points scored off the bench in a single season on Monday, with seven games still left to play. Heading into Thursday's game against the Liberty, Salon had put up 485 points off the bench. And just for reference, next closest this season, teammate Tiffany Hayes with just 310. All of this talk of the Valks bench reminded me of something Veronica Burton said during my interview with her earlier this month. Take a listen.
Speaker 2: I think there's this idea that players on the end of a WNBA team or at the end of the bench like can't compete. And I think that's like one of the oldest lies in the book because you give people opportunity and the skill set is there. It is so hard to make this league. It is so hard to play in the WNBA. like people that don't play are still very good basketball players. And so when you give them a chance and a lot of those players have honestly been out working a lot of starters, you know, they want it.
Speaker 1: Love that. More WNBA. Sunday's game between the Indiana Fever and Chicago Sky averaged 3.31 million viewers on NBC and Peacock, making it the most watched regular season WNBA game since the league's inaugural season in 1997. It's also the third most watched regular season game ever. behind only two opening weekend games from June of 97, which also aired on NBC. Now, the Fever won Sunday's contest 113-90, with Kaitlyn Clark making a career-high eight three-pointers and scoring 37 points in the victory. The game was highly anticipated in part because it marked the first time Chicago's Dejanay Carrington and Indiana's Sophie Cunningham went head-to-head since Carrington fouled Cunningham and was ejected from a game earlier this month. No major fireworks between those two, but of course this was the Ennis Cantor freedom game. How nice that a near-record number of WNBA fans were forced to watch his dumb shittery. More WNBA. All 15 teams are in action this weekend before the FIBA World Cup break officially begins on Monday. And while every WNBA team has now either officially clinched or been eliminated from playoff contention, there's still a lot on the line when it comes to seeding possibilities. Action gets underway tonight with four games, including what will likely be DeJuan and Bonner's debut in an Atlanta Dream jersey. The Dream are currently in fourth place and are hosting the Portland Fire in a game that tips off at 7.30 p.m. Eastern. To the NWSL. North Carolina's Ashley Sanchez had a big night on Wednesday, scoring a brace in the Courage's 2-0 win over Angel City and extending her lead in the NWSL's Golden Boot Race. Sanchez now has 15 goals on the season, followed by Orlando's Barbara Banda with 12 and Washington's Trinity Rodman with 10. Sanchez's two goals also helped her tie and then break North Carolina's franchise record for most goals in a season. Lynn Biandolo held the previous record of 14, which she set in 2019. More NWSL. This weekend's slate of games kicks off with Gotham FC hosting the Portland Thorns tonight at 8 p.m. Eastern. And get this, tonight's game marks both Gotham and Portland's 300th regular season game in club history. They're the first of the five remaining original NWSL franchises to hit the mark. Shout out to the always incredible Jen Cooper for that fun fact. Also tonight, the San Diego Wave is hosting Racing Louisville, with that match getting underway at 10 p.m. Eastern. San Diego's coming off a 4-2 win against Utah last weekend, in which Trinity Byers contributed to all four goals, two goals and two assists. Looking ahead to Saturday, the Kansas City Current are hosting the North Carolina Courage, starting at 6.30 Eastern. The Current, as always when playing at CPKC Stadium, will be looking to maintain their home undefeated regular season streak, which dates back to July 6, 2024. Speaking of CPKC, did you see that they lit the stadium up bright pink for Dolly on Wednesday? So good. Looking ahead, the NWSL is about to lose a bunch of players to the upcoming U-20 Women's World Cup. Twelve players across the league will be traveling to Poland for the tournament, which kicks off on September 5th. But not every player who was selected by their national team was released by their club. After naming the U-20 roster earlier this month, manager Vicky Jepsen said it was upsetting that multiple teams— both in the NWSL and overseas, refused to allow certain players to miss time for the tournament. As a result, the U.S. squad will be without top stars like Claire Hutton and Alex Piper, who both play for Bay FC, along with San Diego's Kimi Escanio and Seattle's Jordan Bugg. So Bugg has to stay, but Seattle will still see an impact, as the team is losing the most players of any NWSL team to the tournament. Emery Adamas, Ainsley McCammon, and Evan Osteen were all named to the U.S. team and released to play. To tennis and the U.S. Open. Czech duo Karolina Muhova and Jakub Menchik won the mixed doubles title on Wednesday night, defeating Belinda Bencic and Flavio Caboli in the championship on a tiebreaker. Earlier in the night during their semifinal match, which also finished with a tiebreaker, Muhova and Menchik were a point away from being ousted, but they put up a comeback, erasing two match points and then winning four points in a row to nab a spot in the championship match. Also worth noting... Just how close married couple Alina Svitolina and Gael Monfils were to winning their first U.S. Open trophies. Individually, they've each made it to the semis in the U.S. Open singles, but they've never won. And they once again came up short in the mixed doubles, falling to Bencic and Caboli. Monfils has announced this as his last U.S. Open since he's retiring. Would have been such a fairytale story for them to go out on top. We got to take a break. When we come back, it's Steph Dolson. I caught up with her earlier this week. Joining us now, she plays for the Seattle Storm and played for the Laces and unrivaled in season one. She led UConn to a 144-11 record over her four-year career, which included four Final Four appearances and back-to-back national championships. Her senior year, she grabbed 371 rebounds, second most in school history and 93 blocks, third most in a single season. Before she was drafted sixth overall by the Washington Mystics in the 2014 WNBA draft, a gold medalist in 3x3 basketball at the 2020 Summer Olympics. She helped the Chicago Sky to their first and so far only title in 2021, a descendant of a 17th century beaver pelt trader. Back in 2014, I served her breakfast on the set of Numbers Never Lie at ESPN headquarters in Bristol. It's Steph Dolson. Hi, Steph.
Speaker 3: Hi, how are you? That was a long list.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you probably don't even remember, but it was I. along with Trey Wingo, that served you and Shabazz Napier breakfast at Numbers Never Lie, which I believe was a callback to him complaining about going to bed hungry because of NCAA's antiquated rules about meals.
Speaker 3: I don't remember that, but I do remember being at ESPN with Shabazz, so that I do remember, but it was a long time ago.
Speaker 1: It was a long time ago. I was filling in for Jamel, so that was the first time we met, and you were such a blast. You had such a great, fun personality, and that has been the case ever since. you know, we had two of your teammates on recently and I was thinking about you while interviewing them. We had Dom Malanga and Awafam and you've got a big role as a veteran center, helping those to kind of learn the ropes. How's that been for you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been really fun. Those two especially are just like, they're overjoyed about playing basketball and being here and, Um, I've enjoyed just being their vet, teaching them, um, trying to let them learn a little bit, you know, um, with what they're doing, but I try to just sneak in some information every now and then.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They seem joyful and they seem, um, I guess they have to be uniquely open to everything because it's not just a new league. It's a new country and new culture and everything else. Have you had a little fun with the culture shock for them? Have you been able to have them try weird foods or introduce them to things about the U S that maybe they weren't familiar with?
Speaker 3: Not particularly. I think I'm so old that I'm not sure that we do. I wouldn't say that we do much together. Okay. You know, it's not like a 34 year old going to hang out with a 29 year old. The two of them are what, 20?
Speaker 1: Literally children.
Speaker 3: 19 and 20.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So.
Speaker 3: I think that's the biggest culture shock if you will it's just the different ages every time i'm with them i'm like you guys are really 20 years old um so yeah not much in terms of culture that.
Speaker 1: Way that's fair just a couple tiktok dances which i've seen and you rightly assuming your place at the end to really break it down um You know, it's always tough to be on a team three building. You want to win every night, of course, but you can find the things that you want to learn or take away from this season personally or professionally. And what is that for you throughout this year?
Speaker 3: For me personally, I think it's just being a vet. I think every team has taught me something new. Um, and the older I get, the more I'm learning, um, and hopefully transitioning into my next phase of life and my career, um, is just learning how to be a good vet, a leader, um, teaching them my experience again, watching them grow and seeing where I can help, but where I can let them learn themselves. Um, and with this group, because it's so young, uh, it's obviously been a tough season, but we've kept a really positive attitude and it's been a joy to be around these people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems like it. Not just on the court putting up a fight, even in losing efforts, but the fun extracurriculars, whether that's, you know, Flage making fun of Awa for saying mayonnaise or it's Natisha Heideman's run club. There's a lot of ways that you're interacting with the community and building a team that will be better and stronger in the future. Are you going to make it to a run club? Is that your vibe?
Speaker 3: Uh, not my vibe. I neither like running nor a lot of people. Large crowds is not my thing. So I have told her that I will support from afar, but I'm very happy for her. She, um, you know, she's such a huge part of this community and they love her. Um, so I'm just happy that she kind of found another outlet that she's able to do and, um, enjoy the city with, with these people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's putting everybody to shame who's like, I don't have time. She's like, I'm a full-time WNBA player and I still have a run club mid-season. We're all like, oh, we can't get that Pilates in. You're on your fourth team, fifth stop in the WNBA in more than a dozen years. You're in your 13th season, which is wild. I'm so grateful to have you on in this pivotal moment, this moment in the history of the league, because you've been a part of it for almost half of its existence. What does 30 years of the WNBA mean to you?
Speaker 3: It means everything. I mean, when I was in high school, I didn't even know if I would be in the WNBA. Wasn't sure where I'd play in college. And once Gino hit me up, hit me up. Once Gino recruited.
Speaker 1: Me.
Speaker 3: No, once he recruited me, I was like, oh, OK, like I actually have a chance to play professionally. So for me, it's just an opportunity to do something that I love every day. The more it's grown, the more fun it's been. All these arenas that we get to play in now with the how packed they are. It's just, it's such a fun environment and I'm just excited and happy and proud of myself that I'm able to still be playing and still be a part of this league.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is a hard league to make, hard league to stick in and you're still at it. You know, there's so much enthusiasm for the league this year. There's so much investment in Team facilities, cool merch, marketing, more media coverage, and of course a new CBA that really fundamentally changes the economic realities of players in the league. Another great reason to want to stick around for as long as you can. Does this year feel really different to you from even just last year?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's just grown more. I mean, I think the visibility, the fan bases, the money, of course, is great. But for me, I've never done anything for money. Like, that's not my driving force. I just continue to play because I love it and I love to learn and I love to teach. And so I want to do it as long as I can. But I also would never take spots from younger girls coming in to be a part of this league for the future. But this year, yeah, it's been different for sure. There's been so much buzz and excitement and it's been a great time.
Speaker 1: It sounds like you're sort of thinking about when you're going to be done. Do you have a time set? Do you have a goal? Do you have like a number of years you want to be in the league?
Speaker 3: Uh, not necessarily. I think like two years ago I kept saying three years. And so I'm on that third year. Um, but I definitely would love to do another year. Um, I think my body feels great. I mean, I had a full healthy season this year. Um, and I feel like, yes, I'm getting older, but I'm getting stronger and I feel really good. Uh, so, you know, if the opportunity is there, I would love it. Um, but yeah, definitely not too many years. My body is 13 is pushing it. So yeah, that's, that's a long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Um, What about coaching? It sounds like you like the teaching aspect.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm hoping to get into coaching after I'm done. I feel like I'm already kind of a coach half the time on these teams because I can't keep my mouth shut. I just always have to say something, which I think makes for a good coach. So hopefully that will be my transition to the next part of my life.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's awesome. You know, with all this increased excitement around the league, there's some bad, too. And the WNBA has always been at the center of political and social issues since the very beginning. I believe that if you're a woman in a patriarchal society, your mere existence is political, even when you haven't said or done anything. And W players do say and do things. They stand for things. W players stand for a particular kind of woman that is the kind that sometimes pisses off people who would prefer we stay in our quote-unquote lane. So... Before we get into the specifics of it, I wonder how you read the timing of the latest interruptions to play. The sex toys, the anti-trans rallies and displays, using the league for political gain. Why is this happening now?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I think it's just how visible we are, maybe. I think we've grown so fast and have gotten a lot of new fans that don't really know the game as much. I think they're not necessarily fans for the right reasons sometimes. And I think they just want to poke and prod and get a reaction out of players and things to become relevant or to cause chaos. And so for us, it's like, you know, we love the visibility. We love more fans, but we want fans who love women's basketball and who love women's sports. and who genuinely want to watch us play and not just tear us down or nitpick every little thing that we do. And I feel like we have a really good amount of those fans, but there's still going to be those few that just kind of find something to start or complain about. And it's kind of a lose-lose sometimes. But I mean, for me personally, I try to just not even think about it. I just go out and play and focus on being happy.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think sometimes, too, there's so much conversation that's stirred up simply because of a lack of information. You know, Steph White having to explain what she said about Dejanay Carrington when most of the people complaining had no idea she coached Dejanay Carrington the season before. And just that little bit of information does change your perspective on why she would say that about her as opposed to feeling like she's defending the opponent. Well, they were just on the same team as of, you know, a year or two ago. So you understand and... that context is so often missing in the conversation around women's sports. And I think part of that is because so much of it is online and people don't know what to trust and what's real. And there's not enough coverage from major journalistically sound outlets and people rely on, you know, an Instagram post that they see. And when it comes to the latest interruptions, it does feel like they're all to your point, intending to provoke as opposed to educate or otherwise. And, you know, you've been outspoken in your support of the trans community and You wore a t-shirt to the game against Indiana Fever where those anti-trans rallies first started up in Seattle. Why is it important for you to be public and vocal with that stance?
Speaker 3: I think for me, it's just they are a community that has so much hate on them for no reason. And I think for me, when I saw that there was the anti-trans rallies, I'm like, why are we doing this? Women's sports and coming to these games, you're supposed to feel protected and safe and We as a league, I think, have tried to do our best at keeping that. So when I saw that they were going to have these anti-trans rallies, I just wanted to make sure that the trans community knew where I stood and knew that, as Tosh Cloud said the other day, like I see them, I love them and I will always support them because they belong in sports. They belong in women's sports. And so for me, it was just important to kind of show that. And that was really the best way I could in that moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there's such a sadness to the idea that these spaces that have been historically wonderful places for not just LGBTQ fans or marginalized groups, but just women, just any woman of any kind who wants to go somewhere and feel safe and included and loved and surrounded by joy and empowerment and embodiment and watching women thrive. It's so special and it's so unique to women's sports. There are so few spaces that we get to feel that way. And The fact that they would be tainted by this is really upsetting to me. And the first time I really thought about last year was when some woman wore these fake paper nails to a game to protest Dejanay Carrington, who didn't even have long nails. It was just a total dog whistle. And I thought about all the people around her section that must be thinking, oh, this is usually this place I go for just joy, and instead there's this. And I wonder if you think the league, whether that's Adam Silver and Kathy Engelberg or anyone else at the top, have done enough to respond to these agitators and disruptors or are handling this recent rash in the right way?
Speaker 3: I think they could do more, for sure. I know people say it's hard to be at the top, but I think there's so many moments that are missed for Cathy or Adam to just say something, you know, have a stance, have our backs, have as players, you know, we can only do so much with our words and our actions. And I think it means more when it comes from the top. So I think that they've definitely stayed quiet on a lot of issues. And I think that they could do a lot better job.
Speaker 1: You know, in sports, there's a lot of calling in instead of calling out, making a team full of different folks, who are all in pursuit of the same goal, feel connected and getting them to gel. It's one of the most special things about sports, actually, is how much people can be united despite differences and come together and actually, you know, chop it up and get to the heart of things. But that's not without its complications. And it's even more complicated when you consider coalescing as a league in support of things, something that the W has done over and over again, sometimes at the highest levels, like flipping the Senate or advocating for marginalized groups. But reaching across to different teams and across locker rooms can be tough. And I wonder if your teammates have conversations about how you want to handle players who have different political beliefs or, you know, in the case of Sophie Cunningham, in particular, a player who has inspired the kinds of pre- and in-game displays that we've seen. How do you discuss, like, I don't know, the sisterhood versus things that seem to be interrupting that unity?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, it's tough, you know, things that are said in the locker room, definitely stay in the locker room. Um, but I think, uh, for our group, again, we're such a young group that I'm not sure, you know, I have this space where, you know, I don't want to persuade people to feel a certain way. You know, my, if I'm, if I have a perspective on something and I say it, I don't want them to feel like, oh, they have to agree with me, but I feel like our team, we have a lot of young guys and they're very outspoken and in the locker room or on the sidelines, like we'll talk about stuff and everyone will express their feelings of what they think is right and wrong. And I think we have a really respectful way of going about it. Obviously everyone has their opinions. And as Sophie said, like people can have different opinions, but I think it's the way that we approach the conversation. And as long as we're doing it with love and we're not sparking the hate for the other side, like that's where it just misses. That's where it just doesn't make sense to me. So I always try to lead with that and make sure that, Even in the locker room, you know, everyone's comfortable and everyone can feel like they can speak up and say what they feel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think ultimately, if your outcomes continue to not match your intentions and you actually care about your outcomes, then you change your behavior. It's pretty hard to hide behind, I just wanted this or I just wanted to say this or I want to believe this, if then you see the deleterious outcomes of that. And if you don't agree with what's happening as a result of what you're saying or how you're acting, then you change it. And if you don't, then you're kind of telling us how you want things to go. You know, you've been outspoken since college, probably since birth, actually. Have you just been like at what age? Because I know I at a very young age was like it was clear I was not going to follow. I would follow the rules for life and legally, but not for like girls or ladies. It's never going to be ladylike. What about you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, same. From a very young age, I talked a lot. You know, in college, I asked CD if I could shave half my head, and she said no. I would be off the team.
Speaker 1: That's a longtime assistant at UConn, who I believe has some pretty strict rules around pantyhose and stuff.
Speaker 3: Everything, yeah. Yeah, you had to wear stockings to everything, so then I chose to wear colored stockings everywhere. I had purple, blue. She was like, what are you wearing? And I'm like, you said it had to be stockings. You didn't say it had to be sheer. Um, you know, once I got a Yukon, I got some tattoos, um, dyed my hair purple. Uh, so yeah, there's definitely some strict rules that I had to follow at Yukon, but I feel like overall in my life, I try to do something fun, something different. You know, I just bleached my hair white this past off season. Cause I had like a midlife crisis. I'm like, wow, I'm really old and kind of boring. Like I need to do something.
Speaker 1: So you went white, which is exactly what I've been dying against happening. As I'm getting actually old.
Speaker 3: That's fair. But if you like, you know, make it cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, you did it punk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you. Going superhero.
Speaker 1: Well, you are super outspoken. I remember in 2016, you did a magazine article with ESPN where you came out and you said, not everyone in WNBA needs to be out, but I feel called to lead an authentic life in the open. I know who I am and I don't care if people judge me. I'm 6'5. I dye my hair purple and experiment a lot with fashion. My motto is if they're going to stare, they might as well stare at something fun, which as a fellow tall who is only 6 feet, not even 6'5, I feel the same way. I feel like no matter how, even if I wanted to be small, which I don't, like I can't. So figure out if everyone's going to look at you, better make it fun if they're going to look or make sure they're enjoying it. But you also said that there's a lot of girls who struggle being who they are and that there are people who, who need to take the role of being out there so girls know it's okay, regardless of, you know, stereotypes or something else. So I wonder if it always was your nature to be a role model, not just to be empowered in yourself, but to care about giving that gift to others, or if that's something you tried to learn.
Speaker 3: I think a little bit of both. I think it comes a little bit naturally, like a very small example is, you know, I grew up with two sisters, older sisters, and it was always like, I always wanted to be so different from them. So it being different just came naturally. Like I always said, if there was an outfit that they didn't like, then I liked it. Like it was perfect then.
Speaker 1: Where'd that come from?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I think, well, they're both redheads. So, and I, I'm a brunette. So I think it just naturally happened. Like I already stood out because I was the odd one out from a whole ginger family. So I kind of just grew into always wanting to stand out. And then once I got into the league and I realized I had this platform, it kind of felt like a natural thing. fit to just speak up about how I feel, um, who I am to show girls that they can, you know, also feel comfortable in their own skin and be true to themselves. Um, and not really worry about what other people said, because as much as I do care, sometimes what people say, I also could care less. Um, you know, it's inevitable to feel something when someone says it, but I've gotten so comfortable in who I am now, the older I've gotten, um, it kind of comes easier to me. So yeah, I just want to inspire young girls to feel the same way. And obviously they're not going to feel it right away, but as long as they can grow into it and grow into who they truly feel they are is all that matters.
Speaker 1: It's kind of wild to think about in 2016 being like, I'm going to come out now and I'm going to do an interview about it. And then you look around the league or just the world now and it's like, ah, you don't even have to really figure it out. You can just like mess around and see what you like. And then, I don't know, you could change your mind and change it again and tell someone this and then be like, I don't know, maybe not. Do you feel like you need to still be that role model or how does it feel different to be an elder queer? You're not really, there's, you know, that's more of like the 60 year olds that fought the battles, but to be someone in the league where now it's not, it's not a thing.
Speaker 3: I don't know. That's a good question.
Speaker 4: Actually.
Speaker 3: I've never really thought about it. I feel like because I came out at such, I wouldn't say at such a young age, but so early in my career, um, I feel like now it's so natural. And it's funny because I posted a picture of my girlfriend and I, and someone was like, she's one of us. And then a bunch of other fans were like, girl, she's been one of us. So it's just like this ongoing thing of the new fans don't really know who I am. So I kind of continue to be like, no, this is who I am. And this is the community that I'm part of. And I think that's why I continue to show where I stand and who I support because I We keep having new fans come in, and I want them to learn as much about me as the fans who have been here since 2016.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I have some new fans too, except they're like, you're straight when I post with my husband. So yeah, I'm like, yep, still sadly, still straight.
Speaker 3: Still straight.
Speaker 1: Speaking of your girlfriend, back in March, you posted about going to a wedding together and you said celebrating love while secretly planning our own. And then in May, you wished your lady a happy anniversary and you said, I can't wait to be your wife one day. Time to put a ring on it. This is a very public campaign to get wifed up stuff. Is it working? What's any progress we should know about?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, it's for sure working. I wouldn't post things like that if I didn't know it was happening. No, I've designed the ring. I know the ring is being made. I just don't know when it'll happen. But I'm a control freak a little bit. So there was no way Getting engaged wasn't going to happen unless I knew what ring it was going to be so that I could be happy about it. So I wouldn't campaign it if I didn't know it was happening.
Speaker 1: Very smart. Very smart. Do you have big plans for the FIBA break? Do you get to have some time off and hang out with your girlfriend or otherwise?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just going to go home to New York. I think for me, being in Seattle has been fun, but it is the opposite side of the country. So a vacation for me is just going home and being in my own house and being happy in New York, feel the fall, autumn vibes. So I'm excited for that.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're not quite there yet. We don't need to rush fall.
Speaker 3: Starbucks just came out with their autumn menu.
Speaker 1: Okay, and I passed a spirit Halloween, but we can reject those capitalistic pushes toward A time we do not yet need to embrace. I'm in Chicago and it's like warm through October, basically. So I want to hold on to that before I start wearing my coat that goes to my ankles and running indoors.
Speaker 3: Not me. I accept it. I want all I want the leaves to change. I want a nice autumn breeze. I love the fall.
Speaker 1: I love the fall in a couple months, in a couple months. Steph, thanks so much for the time. Congrats on the continued success. And we look forward to watching the rest of the season and hopefully a few more. Yes.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Thanks again to Steph for hanging out with us. And don't forget, you can now watch full length Good Game interviews on the I Heart Women's Sports YouTube channel. We got to take another break. When we come back, it's time to hand out another bouquet. Welcome back, Slices. Time to send you into the weekend on a high note with a new segment called Friday Flowers. This is our chance to give an athlete, team, league, exec or fan a little bit of well-deserved love. Today, producer Bianca is handing them out.
Speaker 4: And I'm sending a big, beautiful bouquet of Friday flowers to professional trail runner Lauren Gregory, who on Thursday became the first American woman to win the OCC race at UTMB, which we talked about on yesterday's show as being the biggest trail running competition of the year. Lauren ran the 38-mile race in six hours, eight minutes, and seven seconds, covering nearly 11,000 feet of elevation gain along the way. It all came down to the wire, though, to make for an instant classic of a race. Because with just a few kilometers to go, Lauren was actually in third place, behind second place Spain's Sarah Alonso and Scotland's Naomi Lang, who was in first. Lauren later said she was running on fumes and didn't think she had anything left in the tank, but she turned on the jets to pass Sarah, and with less than one kilometer to go, Lauren passed Naomi and took the lead. She ended up finishing just three seconds in front of Naomi after 38 miles. Shout out to Naomi, who put up a hell of a fight to try and hang on. And Lauren's speed at the end there didn't come out of nowhere. She was actually an NCAA track star and made the 2024 U.S. Olympic trial finals in the 5K. And she's kept creeping up in distances over the past couple of years. Last year, she won the finals of the Golden Trail World Series. which is the most competitive short course, not short at all, trail running circuit in the world. The OCC race she just won was the longest race.
Speaker 1: Of her career to date.
Speaker 4: A new high score, as we say in the distance world. When I saw the news, I was beaming because I follow Lauren's training on YouTube, and she's such a positive, down-to-earth person who I get a lot of inspiration from. We'll put a link to her YouTube channel if you want to check it out in the show notes.
Speaker 3: Congrats, Lauren.
Speaker 1: We always love to hear from you, so hit us up on email, goodgameatwondermedianetwork.com, or leave us a voicemail at 872-204-5070. And don't forget to subscribe, rate, and review. It's easy, Slices. Watch. Launching your own women's sports app and website to help fill a gap.
Speaker 2: Rating.
Speaker 1: One of one new way to learn what women's games are in your area or on your TV.
Speaker 3: Review.
Speaker 1: The new Watch Women's Sports IRL website and app lets you search for women's sporting events happening near you. Hey.
Speaker 4: Hey.
Speaker 1: Sounds like a pretty good, good game play of the day. Bookmark, use, and go check out a women's sports event near you live sometime soon. Now it's your turn, Slices. Rate and review. Thanks for listening. See you next week. Good game, Steph. Good game, Lauren. F * * * you, people who never take accountability for the outcomes of their actions. Good Game with Sarah Spain is an iHeart Women's Sports production in partnership with Deep Blue Sports and Entertainment. You can find us on the iHeart Radio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Production by Wonder Media Network. Our producers are Alex Azzi and Bianca Hillier. Our executive producers are Christina Everett, Jessie Katz, Jenny Kaplan, and Emily Rudder. Our editors are Emily Rudder, Lucy Jones, Brittany Martinez, and Gianna Palmer. Production assistance from Avery Loftus. And I'm your host, Sarah Spain.