Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This He's Talking Cowboys, springing live from.
Speaker 4: The Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 5: Take boarders here, let's got kitson, Eddy paint tuxdown.
Speaker 1: And now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 3: It's an off season edition of Talking Cowboys presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from the Star in Frisco, Texas and the s W bat See Studios.
Speaker 2: Welcome in, everybody.
Speaker 3: We've got the whole almost the whole cast and crew ready for you to rock. We got three of those guys. We've got Patrick Noc Walker, Chosh Rodriguez, I'm Kyle Yeomans with Chris Beam in the back. Welcome in everybody. As always, Talking Cowboys presented by a Black Rifle Coffee Company, the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Got my black Rifle right here, Patrick's got it.
Speaker 6: Hit the hell. Yeah, got to make sure she's in hold on she said. Morning. Okay, here we go this for you.
Speaker 2: Get closer, get closer.
Speaker 7: Yeah, quality quality do we have a lot of those in the back now or did you just pick that up on the way in no j r.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I had him from Christmas. I forgot that there. They've been in there. You're welcome to gred. You go for it. It's white or three of.
Speaker 3: Them that might be it might be needed later today for the wrong day ahead.
Speaker 2: He sounds good.
Speaker 6: Good ones, black rifle coffee. We can all share.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right. Damn, it sounds like a slogan, ready to happen.
Speaker 6: Let's do it.
Speaker 3: We got to be back. You guys had a great show last week. Missed you guys. I was out mobile with the Senior Bowl. Had a lot of fun out there and got to see uh put eyes to prospects, get to really get to know a lot of those guys as well, which was cool.
Speaker 6: That's awesome, man.
Speaker 2: We'll dive into the draft bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they ended up being really cool that. I mean, some of those interviews were just incredible. And that's not on our side. It's on the prospects side. Some of the stories and some of the things that you get to learn, and that's part of the draft process that I like. Because everybody's got the film at this point with YouTube and the streaming services that everybody has, like you've got some type of film, whether it's All twenty two or TV copy, so everybody can kind of evaluate players. But that's something that I guess our access within the building and within the organization is different. We get to kind of get to know these guys a little.
Speaker 6: Bit to evaluate the character as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's what these teams place a lot of stock into as well, So.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about that a little bit later.
Speaker 8: I really enjoy listening to the Draft show whenever you're interviewing these guys and like it starts off as a very like kind of casual like getting to know you, sort of.
Speaker 2: Like what's the week been like right right, the early questions, But.
Speaker 8: Once they start to open up and have fun and like that's really the best part of those shows is whenever they're actually like joking around and like, Okay, this is a chill. Because I'm sure they're on alert at all times during the draft process, during the scouting process that they're like, okay, well I have to kind of be buttoned up here. But once they start talking to Kyle, they're like.
Speaker 6: Okay, that's fine. Yeah, they always let's chill out a little bit. They a comfort uh interview.
Speaker 3: Here, Oh thank you, I appreciate it. The first thing I tell him is like, Hey, we're just going to have a conversation. That's all it is.
Speaker 2: This isn't an interview, this isn't a job interview. Let's have a conversation. And I think Nick Harris does a really good job at that too.
Speaker 3: Of he knows a lot of those guys too, like he's either covered them before or watched them in certain situations before. So he always does a nice job of kind of opening up with those guys and getting them to kind of go deep into their past too.
Speaker 2: Because I mean, out of the guys.
Speaker 3: That we interviewed probably eight or nine prospects for the Draft show last week, and I think six of the eight or nine were all Texas guys.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's like there's a lot of talent around here.
Speaker 3: We've gotten the chance to see them grow up a little bit as well. So and Texas is the most represented state.
Speaker 2: In the Super Bowl as well.
Speaker 6: Shocker, all right, it's not shocker.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean quality football gets played in Texas.
Speaker 6: I will say that it's the law objective. Yeah, objectively speaking.
Speaker 7: I mean, this is objective, This is no this is just fun southern rivalry, right, So we're not here for that.
Speaker 6: California football talking.
Speaker 7: Okay, although California does have a good football program as far as bringing kids up through the rings.
Speaker 6: But when you're talking about a good old.
Speaker 7: Fashioned Southern football, it's Georgia, is it's Texas, you know, it's Florida, Florida, absolutely, Florida, especially South Florida. Yeah, what about Princeton, So yeah, Florida, Georgia, Texas. Those are your your good farm states as far as like where you start the kids out young and bring them up through the programs, you know, and a lot of times that's why you have so many quality Texas football kids that go to young men, turn a young men, turn to grow men, and you know they they be come all Americans, and you know they find their way into the league in the same food. You know, Georgia talent, same for Florida talent. So just thankful that that talent that grows up in Florida departs Florida, he goes to Georgia, he goes to George.
Speaker 3: I did have fun one of the guys that I wouldn't mind Dallas at least exploring in the first round.
Speaker 2: Come on out of the Uga, Come on Bulldogs. Dylan Everett talked to him last week. He was great. He was He was great on and off the camera. He was really cool.
Speaker 3: And we chatted for maybe two minutes before the interview, and then we knocked out the interview, and then he stayed and chatted like another two and a half.
Speaker 2: Three minutes after the interview with football.
Speaker 6: He didn't have to do football like you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very smart kid.
Speaker 7: He would do will And did you get a chance to even if a sodebar with CJ wasj there?
Speaker 6: No, wasn't there.
Speaker 3: Okay, but a couple of guys to keep an eye on. And we may get to see him at the Combine here in.
Speaker 2: A couple of weeks.
Speaker 6: Yeah, will, because we will be there.
Speaker 2: Darn right.
Speaker 6: We did book our travel, baby, let's go in the books. Let's be an Indy, Let's go a swell time.
Speaker 2: I can't wait.
Speaker 6: Stay right back here.
Speaker 7: You and T football, Georgia football. We're coming to Indy for the combine.
Speaker 2: Why you and T football?
Speaker 7: Why we try to segue because we were talking Texas football, Georgia football.
Speaker 6: So I specified the university.
Speaker 2: You know, we'll keep going.
Speaker 6: Let's get give you an opportunity to get to you didn't.
Speaker 7: So quite a bit of news and notes. Most of it is kind of a recap, so let's just lead with let's just shrink it to the most important, which is who is on board. We touched based on this last week, but definitely reconfirming that Ryan Smith is in the building. He is officially hired pen to paper as the Cowboys new defensive back sat slash secondary coach, so he's in there. Keep in mind he's coming from Arizona as their former pass game coordinator and their cornerbacks coach. So good get for Christian Parker and Man, I gotta say Christian Parker is off to the races.
Speaker 6: He's not wasted any time, not at all.
Speaker 7: But also in not wasting any time, he's also being exceptionally thorough. We credited Brian Schottenheimer for being thorough in the candidacy interviews interviews for defensive coordinator nine candidates Man Christian Parker, He's his net is even wider. Yeah, arguably so. In addition to Ryan Smith, Derek Ansley, former Packers past game coordinator, he is now pen to paper. He is officially in the building, his contract is officially signed.
Speaker 6: Waiting to confirm this. But per Tard Archer, which.
Speaker 7: Is a damn good credible source for information, arguably yes, yeah, so I'm waiting for God's like, Wait, the joke is you.
Speaker 8: Can argue anything, you know what I mean, Dallas Cowboys are from Dallas and it's likesco.
Speaker 7: Arguably yes, yeah, shout out the Archer.
Speaker 6: You could argue anything. You could. Doesn't mean you need to, but you could. Yeah.
Speaker 7: So I'm waiting to make this get this officially confirmed from upstairs. But we came right into the podcast, So follow Twitter voice at the Star. We'll get you that information and the tracker. You should have the tracker bookmark Gallascowboys dot com.
Speaker 6: You should have the tracker bookmark.
Speaker 7: All things is being updated daily, so as soon as I get that made official for Ansley, that will be updated as well. But we also have that the Cowboys have agreed to terms with Marcus Dixon, who who they interviewed a couple of times, one virtually one in person over the past weekend. Marcus Dixon is not only in the building, he is officially not leaving the building because now he has work to do. Former Vikings defensive line coach under one and Brian Floydes I like and we love some Brian Flores. So Marcus Dixon is definitely in the building as well. And needless to say, he knows how to coach some football. He played football. He was a former assistant defensive line coach for the Rams, defensive line coach for the Broncos before joining Brian Floores as defensive line coach for the Vikings. That is another big get for the Cowboys, and we're waiting to see which of these other guys are going to potentially land deals obviously pending right now. Run now Williams Eagles assistant linebackers coach. Who else we got? We got Robert Livingston, Colorado defensive coordinator. And we got a new entrant into the contest for position coach c j i U Texas Tech offensive line excuse me, outside linebackers coach.
Speaker 6: So outside linebackers, outside linebackers coach. We will talk about that.
Speaker 3: A couple guys in the draft that are really good from Texas Tech.
Speaker 2: Couple. There's a guy named David.
Speaker 3: Bailey who's going to be a first round pick, there's a guy named Romelo Height that's.
Speaker 2: Going to be a first round pick. I think he coached both of those guys.
Speaker 3: And then there's a linebacker, not an outside linebacker, but a mic linebacker named Josh Rodriguez who could be a first, second, or third round pick who he knows where he's going to go right now.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I just think that's worth pointing out.
Speaker 6: It is very much worth pointing out.
Speaker 2: Just thought.
Speaker 6: I guess the new entrance takesture, Jacob, is it? Josh?
Speaker 2: Josh?
Speaker 3: Kyleain, congratulations, dude, you're going in the draft.
Speaker 6: My play days are behind me, Kyle.
Speaker 2: Sorry, no, Jacob Rodya is my bad?
Speaker 6: Looks like you could line up and let's throw some bodies around.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 8: I did one pulling play for the Little Lobo and they were like, all right, let's.
Speaker 3: He's gonna be better as a webmaster one day.
Speaker 6: Damn good webmaster in the movie at the Streak. But as soon as they put me on a pull play, that guy looks like a film creak. CJ. Good thing they had scouts at film school University. Baby, That's all I'm saying. J.
Speaker 7: You Texas tech outside linebackers coach. He is now a candidate for a position coaching role onunder Christian Parker, as is Eric Henderson, USC co defensive coordinator, run game coordinator and defensive line coach. Eric Henderson does quite a bit out there for the Trojans.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 7: And so we know, Denzel Martin Steelers outside linebackers coach. You're gonna hear this quite a bit because in all of the candidates that I named, and we're gonna talk about this, uh in a moment, outside linebackers coach, outside linebackers coach, outside linebackers coach. Notice not once did I say defensive ends coach wink Wick. We'll get to that in a second man front IDMN front.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 7: And one more new entrant. Fourth new entrant is from Athens. Oh, the Cowboys have scheduled in person interview with Kirby Smart.
Speaker 6: Why do you do that?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 2: Sorry, I did you just ask him?
Speaker 7: Because now it's now now. Whenever I dropped the name, it's like they hit the same now. But he's from the Kirby Smart tree. And that's a pretty big deal, okay.
Speaker 2: Which comes from the Nick Saban.
Speaker 6: That is true.
Speaker 7: So chideo Uzzo dribe he is the linebackers coach for Georgia. Which linebacker's coach? The outside linebackers coach? Patrick, Can I say it? You can say it.
Speaker 6: Go dogs.
Speaker 7: Now, whenever you're reaching into the Georgia coaching ranks, particularly at linebacker position coaching, then you're starting to look at number one. I'm just going to say it, all right, CJ. Even though CJ is off the ball linebacker, he's a middle Okay, he's a mike. He's not an on ball, he's not a defensive end, doesn't rush the pastor However, there's obviously that that relationship that's there. But I will also say, because I know a lot of people on Twitter once that news dropped via Todd Archer again shout out Todd Archer, a lot of people saying, you know, well, you know, Pat, no, c what does this guy bring?
Speaker 6: What does he do?
Speaker 7: I can tell you quite simply, if you've ever been impressed with the ability of the defensive line to get after the quarterback when you're watching Georgia, this is why you would love to have this type of guy here right into rebase. So I want to see how far that goes. But those are your new entrants and the ones who have been confirmed, Ryan Smith, Derek Annsley, Marcus Digson.
Speaker 6: Welcome to the program.
Speaker 3: Okay, so let's turn this thing around a little bit. We've already alluded to it here. You're looking at outside linebackers. Comes so very interesting reading the tea leaves here and even just from the schematics and from the coaching tree that Christian Parker comes from as a defensive coordinator. Now in his first stint as a decordinator, you would anticipate an odd man front, right, Yeah, forget it, And that was kind of part of it. Does this personnel in Dallas fit the need as an odd man front or is there gonna be a lot of moving and shaking that needs to happen.
Speaker 8: I think there's gonna be a lot of move in shaking, but also definitely they have their mindset on free agency in the draft to really fill in a lot of those gaps. I hope you have linebackers right now that could possibly fit maybe that transition to a three four or using multiple fronts, which Brian schot Nimer has been a proponent of since he became the coach. He's been saying multiple yeah, he said that multiple times. Now you're actually seeing it. This is the clearest indication of that change. But you currently have long, explosive athletes who need to live, who don't need to live with their hand in the dirt. Transitioning guys to stand up outside linebackers. Consider a Demarvin Overshown. Consider Shamar James is a sort of stand up assignment limited outside linebacker.
Speaker 2: I'd love to see him in that role.
Speaker 8: Seriously, right and situational Blitzer right. And then think of Marris lea fout in passing situations as like a nickel linebacker. I think you have the personnel that could make it work, but you obviously need to improve the personnel across the board.
Speaker 6: I agree.
Speaker 7: I don't think that as we have this conversation that you have the personnel to run that front. But we're having that conversation on February third. You have the entirety of free agency and the upcoming draft, and then of course some of the spill over after the draft. How you handle the free agents that the mercenaries that didn't get signed before then?
Speaker 6: How do you handle that?
Speaker 7: Because keep in mind, you had a guy like Jadeveon Clowney didn't come in until right when the seat, right after the season had begun. So you'll have some mercenaries there by the way sign Jadevion quickly, but you have to go and get them. But it starts with knowing who the coaching staff is and knowing what framework the scouts need to be looking toward. As far as bringing the personnel in. It doesn't need to start the other way around. Otherwise you find yourself in the inerflu situation where you have this personnel, but then you want to hire a coach, but the coach, their scheme and their framework doesn't work with the personnel, nor are they willing to be versatile enough to adapt to the personnel. That's when you run into problems. I like how the Cowboys are handling it right now. They say, hey, we want to get Christian Parker. They look at Christian and they say, hey, what do you want to run and what coaching staff do you need to run it. Let's just build that out first. They're building that out and then they look at the roster and say, you know what, we have some pieces we know will fit like a demo for example, And I'll say this, I think as Roku would look great in a three four, he'd be fine. He'd be fine because if you look at his build, his build, although there's a little bit more mass on him than there is demorvey on Overshown, but physically they're about the same height, same wingspan, similar So I could see as Roku thriving in that front.
Speaker 8: And the main thing you have to worry about when you're transitioning from a four three to three four is going to be your interior defensive line, which I think at this.
Speaker 2: Point feel good.
Speaker 6: Right now, you feel pretty dern good about it.
Speaker 7: Man, Listen, I say, man, listen, because life comes at you fast. Right a year ago, we're having this conversation and outside of the concerns at cornerback, the biggest concern we had was defensive tackle. Now we're sitting here in February third, twenty twenty six, and we're popping collars and bread, and you're like a defensive tackle who's worried about that?
Speaker 3: You know, I think in years past, if this was the conversation, if oh, we're gonna switch from four three to three four, even though I know there's multiples and Dallas Ransom odd Man fronts at certain times under Matt Eberflus too, just the majority of the time for yeah, and a lot of those fives. All of that to be said, I think if it was this conversation in years past, we probably.
Speaker 2: Would have been hesitant to say it's a good thing.
Speaker 3: What was the conversation even prior to hiring a defensive coordinator? Is it the coordinator or is it the personnel?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: We had that argument, it is this personnel good enough to execute whatever defensive coordinator is going to be able to bring in At some point in time, I think the argument is probably not. At some point you look at it and say, multiple defensive coordinators have struggled. Maybe the personnel's just not very good. So what do you do to change that? You upend the personnel, and that's what they're trying to do. Is it a harder task to do in one off season?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: It is tougher to do that than to build off of what you already have. Not to say that it's a complete reset, but you're gonna have to turn over plenty of individuals to make a switch like this. A full time switch like this happened, But I think this is the right time to do it because you get to build from the ground up, knowing that you have a piece here, a piece there, a superstar here, a really good player there.
Speaker 2: But then everybody else.
Speaker 3: It depends on how you fit into the system and then you find a way to do it. I've never been a proponent in the past. One of the things that dan Quinn did was he fit his system to the players. But when you don't have good players, there's no system that can make them better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I do think there's a way.
Speaker 3: You can up in both of these things and marry the two in one offseason.
Speaker 2: It's just going to be a tough task to do so.
Speaker 8: No, and I think we talked about last week, Kyle, when we were talking about the expectations of the defense that you have. Granted you're you're turning over the coaching staff, You're going to have some of the same personnel. There's you can't get around everybody, right, you can't turn out around the whole.
Speaker 6: Thing, nor necessarily do you want to.
Speaker 8: I think there are a lot of players that are currently on your defense that didn't get a fair shake last season because of performance and because of you mentioned a couple of them. Is one of those guys where like you probably don't want to move on from him. But did he play well in twenty twenty five?
Speaker 2: No? No, But did he maybe not?
Speaker 8: And that was a victim of politics basically, Yeah, Yeah, I think there was some favoritism and as the linebackers room last year. So at least for me, I think you have a better chance with an overhaul of the coaching staff to give those players, those sort of ten pole players a better chance at succeeding this year, while also increasing competition and getting guys through free agency through the draft. That provides that competition that gives you the best players that are on the field.
Speaker 6: You're going to have to do a lot of work on your defensive.
Speaker 7: Personnel tons of season, just tons, that's a perfect word for a ton a ton of it, because outside of defensive tackle, and you're not really confident much anywhere else, right, defensive end, like I said, you go to an odd man front. I think Ezraku can thrive in that, So I like what I see there. But outside of that, who else is helping you rush the passer?
Speaker 6: There? Right? You got to figure that out. Linebacker.
Speaker 7: I do believe Marri CLEI if I was a victim of politics, and favoritism last season, so would like to see him back out there getting more snaps. But TBD on that, Di Marrionov shown he can be an absolute game changer, but availability TVD on that. Right outside of those two guys, Shamar James, I think he's gonna take a huge step forward, especially with if they bring in the correct position coach at linebacker for that young man, I think he'll excel.
Speaker 8: And if they put him in the right situations like we're talking about. I mean all of his traits say that he's a situational blitzer. Yeah, and may felt like we said he's a coverage linebacker.
Speaker 6: I mean, if you put these guys in the.
Speaker 8: Best situations for the player, not just the system, I think you're gonna thrive.
Speaker 7: And I will say this real quick, Kyle, because for those that aren't aware of Cowboys Cross Talk, which is a great show by the way, Layton vander Esh was featured on it recently and Vanderish had nothing but stellar praise for what he sees from Shamar James and his upside. So when you have a guy who is as talented as Lton vanders keep in mind the only reason Lady Vander Rush is not in the league. It's medically not because he couldn't play ball. Because man, when he was healthy, he could play some damn ball.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 7: So when you hear you know, former Cowboys veterans who played at a high level, Pro Bowl level praising a young man like that Shamar James during a year that was so unsettled as a whole defensively, that should.
Speaker 6: Tell you a lot there.
Speaker 7: But outside of those guys, I mean defensive backs, we don't even have to get really into it. Safeties, you know, you need some help there. You got to rebuild that completely. Cornerback Travon Dixon's out of the building. We got concerns about Ryan Bland's foots. If On Revel we're confident that a full off season he can take a step forward. Does that mean he immediately becomes a Pro Bowl the next year? We're not saying that, which means to be nice.
Speaker 6: Yeah, be nice, But so many question marks. Man.
Speaker 7: So you have some pieces, mostly defensive tackle. The rest you got to You gotta give Christian Parker everything he needs. That's gonna take a lot of work, but you got a lot of time.
Speaker 3: This is February, it is a lot of time. It's not a lot of time at the same.
Speaker 7: Time, Yeah, that's true, he's already but going Shriy and Bowl and seeing sack scouts are out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got to get after it a little bit.
Speaker 3: And I think that's where this was such a coveted job by defensive coordinators. It was across the league and even going to the Senior Bowl and having conversations with other organizations, they said the same thing, like that was a highly coveted job because you have individuals that you can build around, young talent and a big, big plus in terms of your guys interior wise, with Quinn Williams and with Kenny Clark. Yeah, I mean people want to have your interior line stacked like that.
Speaker 2: They have it.
Speaker 3: But then you also have the expectations. Aren't to be one of the top ten defenses in the league.
Speaker 6: We talked about this.
Speaker 3: You just got to be a halfway decent decent defense and then all of a sudden, your offense hopefully takes a step forward and you're making moves. So something to keep an eye on as we move forward. We'll continue to break down coaching changes and such as they come along. But when we come back on talking coos. We're gonna take your phone call a. I know it's the off season. Yeah, we're okay, we're gonna hear you eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven.
Speaker 2: We're gonna hear you.
Speaker 3: And what you want to talk about with the Dallas Cowboys when we come back with more?
Speaker 2: Right after?
Speaker 9: This got me?
Speaker 6: Now, how's it going? You see that Cowboys game?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 2: I watched.
Speaker 6: I've been seeing some good things totally. They have some talent. You have some great talent, and they got some fight.
Speaker 2: Hoping this is the year me too.
Speaker 6: Oh I'm Cody.
Speaker 2: By the way, I'm Travis.
Speaker 6: Nice to meet you, Travis. Go, Cowboys Go.
Speaker 2: Cowboys make a.
Speaker 6: New friend based solely on their shirt choice. What would you like the power to do?
Speaker 10: Bank of America the official bank of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 6: Copyright twenty twenty five. Bank of America Corporation.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Fans, We've got big news.
Speaker 3: Black Rifle Energy is now available at Texas seven eleven stores, and for a limited time, you can score two cans for just six dollars at participating location. These cans pack a serious punch, two hundred milligrams of caffeine, veteran crafted flavor, and the clean energy you need to power through those long days. So the next time you roll into your neighborhood seven eleven here in Texas, grab that two for six dollars Black Rifle Energy deal and fuel up the American Way.
Speaker 2: Black Rifle Coffee, America's coffee.
Speaker 11: Every day begins with a promise, a promise to work hard and to build a future. That's why we're here providing the tools, expertise, and John Deere equipment you have relied on for generations to help you get the job done right.
Speaker 6: We're with you.
Speaker 11: That's our promise to you because no matter the project or the challenge you're facing.
Speaker 6: Where are you? Where are United at AT and T?
Speaker 10: We guarantee our network so you can talk college football with your bff while taking Buster to the vet.
Speaker 6: Hey, yeah, I can't believiate the whole thing of chicken wings, and I can't believe we're staging a comebacks.
Speaker 10: Staying connected matters. That's why in the rare event of a network out it, you'll automatically get a bill credit for a full day service for wireless downtime lasting sixty minutes and more. Caused by single incident impacting ten more towers must be connected to imact a tower.
Speaker 2: Don't set about it.
Speaker 6: Restrictions and exclusion apply.
Speaker 10: Sett dot Com SLA guarantee for full details.
Speaker 4: To Talking Cowboys, don't tesay, pick up the phone, open, shut it up. Spilled your mind.
Speaker 11: Shoes days, he sign call us now let some wine.
Speaker 4: Talking shoesday. Talking the start lights way just for you.
Speaker 2: It's a Talking Tuesday.
Speaker 3: It's been a minute since we've had that intro Talking Tuesday here on this off season. But udition of Talking Cowboys, Glad you're with us. The segment is brought to you by in visit line, the official Smile of the Dallas Cowboys. And we're smiling because we've got Hoodie Cushing the bab on the line.
Speaker 9: What's going on, gentlemen, how's everybody today?
Speaker 6: Are you wonderful?
Speaker 9: I'm good man. I'm just making some shirpping grits for the lady. Hey, you hurt Josh, Just so you know, Bro, do'll sell yourself so short. Okay, I think you would be a great outside linebacker, slashdo very much. I think you would be great. Keep doing your movie thing, but yeah, I think you would be great. So one of my biggest one of my biggest things was throughout this offseason was hearing, oh, well, we need to hire a certain demographic of coaching me personally, Black white are in different. Man, Let's just hope that they're the best candidate. That's one of my biggest things. I just wanted the best candidate, whether it have been Christian Parker or Jim Leonard or or Jim Schwartz. And I just wanted the best candidate for us. And the fact that we went young speaks volumes of the changes that the Joneses feel they need to make. Yep uh. Storing a little draft in there, I would like to have mister Wood, not Josh Rodriguez, but you know the other Rodrigue as from my Texas A and L. Do you guys think that that moving back at twenty would be the best options in order to get more picks for Day two or sticking and sticking and picking where we are would would do better.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you, hoodie coush. Two great questions, great call.
Speaker 11: Man.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna start with draft just since it was you too, man, you too.
Speaker 7: And we're gonna start by saying, enjoy those damn shrimping Yeah man, that's yeah.
Speaker 6: Legendary combo just.
Speaker 3: Made me hungry and media X starting with draft just since it was the most recent question there. Jacob Rodriguez out of Texas Tech, great linebacker. I think there are better ones available for you at twelve twenty if you wanted.
Speaker 2: To trade back, I would trade back.
Speaker 3: From twenty, and that's only if you have a contingency of guys that you feel really confident in and you would be able to get back in the top one hundred, which you could do and it's happened before, but you can't go super far down the list. I would still want to have at least the first round pick, or at least an early second round pick where you can kind of sleep on your board a little bit going into Day two and pick up a third round at the same time. And that's you're going to have to have a hefty price and a dance partner that wants to come up and grab a prospect. So there's a couple options. We've talked about it a few times on the Draft Show. We'll probably hit it again as we get closer. I don't know if Jacob Rodriguez would be the target there if he is, if it is a trade back option, but I think there you're going to get two guys that can immediately be impact players on your defense at twelve and twenty.
Speaker 2: So I don't think I would trade back.
Speaker 8: No, I think you stick a pick at this point. You traded Michael Parsons. This is why you did it. You want those two first round picks, please use them. My only caveat to that is if all of your first round talent is off the board by twenty I mean, for whatever reason, because that because that happens, you know obviously, And if the best player available there isn't the value of a first round pick, sure I would move out of it and get yourself the day two pick, which you currently don't have. But right now, stick and pick. Yeah, give me the best two players you can find right through in both defense.
Speaker 7: Yes, would would not be upset at sticking and picking twelve and twenty. I definitely say stick and pick at twelve twenty. Depends on who's on the phone. If someone's on the phone, let's say, what do we got Cleveland at twenty four, Chicago at twenty five. I'd be willing to entertain going down from twenty to the mid twenties. If that fielded me at third round.
Speaker 6: Pick of some so late twenties, bye bye bye. No you're not.
Speaker 8: I'm not picking up the phone for any late twenties. You know what I'm saying, mid twenty picking up.
Speaker 6: The phone to hear what they're saying, and then I'm good. It just for me. It just depends on who's on the line.
Speaker 7: Because again, if I depend on how the board is falling, and I stayed at twelve, and I made my pick at twelve, so that means I got my guy, right, I got my first guy if how my board is falling versus how the draft is going, if my second guy is still there at like nineteen, and then I'm looking at who's behind me, and you look at you know, Pittsburgh and the Chargers and Philly, and you say to yourself, will they're likely not going to take my guy. I'm willing to fall back to twenty four to twenty five. I am willing to fall back to twenty four to twenty five if the you know, if it's Chicago or Cincinnati and whomever, and they're like, well, okay, give us that twenty and We'll give you a third round pick if.
Speaker 6: You're willing to do that.
Speaker 7: And my guy is still falling like I think he will, and he'll still be there around twenty four to twenty five, that's a win win win for me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So that's what I mean.
Speaker 7: So I'm fine with sticking and picking at twelve and twenty most certainly at twelve.
Speaker 6: Don't move from twelve.
Speaker 7: But once you get around twenty, look at the board, answer the phone, look at how the draft is going, and just be fluent, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: Do you think there's a world where the Cowboys move up at all from twelve? No? I don't think there's. No, not at all.
Speaker 2: Probably not for who downs. No, they the top five, I don't know.
Speaker 3: No, I would rather take the shot that he slides than to spin my picks.
Speaker 6: And yeah, I don't see I'm doing it at all. I'm just with fire there.
Speaker 3: But I'm playing around on one of these these mock draft simulators. The Titans offered me pick thirty five for twenty No, but they threw in a second round pick and a third round pick next year.
Speaker 6: No, no, no, it would have to be.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: But that's the type of Dans partner you would have to have, is it's not going to be anybody there because and we've had this conversation a couple of times too, from about five to twenty, there's not a ton of separation between these prospects.
Speaker 2: It's all very grouped together.
Speaker 3: Pick what you need here, take what you need there, and see what happens. From about twenty to fifty, it's starting to look like that's a group that's all together. So nobody's really going to be dancing around unless they have one of their upper echelon first round picks that are still available, and they don't think the last of that spot, So it would probably be further down, like a thirty early thirties type of pick, somebody that may have already selected in the first round, and then would have to give you quite the hall to get up there.
Speaker 7: But let's see, because I'm looking at the draft value chart right now, let's see twenty. The value on that is eight hundred and fifty points. Cleveland as one example, Cleveland is at twenty four, seven hundred and forty points. If y'all, if you swapped they take twenty, you take twenty four, they'd still owe you one ten where they in the third Cleveland.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of math right off the dome here, Patrick, keep going.
Speaker 7: Dude, Cleveland wouldn't work because the seventieth overall is too rich worth two forty. That means they have now it doesn't always break even. Some teams are just like, you know what.
Speaker 6: It's a first round YEA, like just take the extra.
Speaker 7: One hundred and twenty points to some mid But that would be so it looks like something like a Chicago at twenty five or Buffalo at twenty six would be more feasible to be able to make that swap and then force them to give you a third round pick. But those are the conversations I'd be willing to have as twenty approaches. But I'm completely comfortable at twenty.
Speaker 6: If I'm not.
Speaker 7: Hearing anything that's making me sit up and say, okay, now we're talking just sticking pick at twenty as well.
Speaker 6: I just like the flexibility.
Speaker 2: Z Yeah.
Speaker 3: Eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven. I believe we have a couple of phone lines open, and as we wait for you to give us a call eight eight eight eight five five two two ninety seven.
Speaker 2: Got to hear from George Pickens and Dak Prescott yesterday.
Speaker 6: Yes he did.
Speaker 2: At the Pro Bowl.
Speaker 3: Tommy Yaris wrote an article on Dallas Cowboys dot com. If you haven't checked it out already, it.
Speaker 6: Is what do you do? It's on the dot com.
Speaker 2: It is free. There's no paywalk, no paywall.
Speaker 6: A couple ads, but the.
Speaker 3: Feeling is mutual from Pickens to the front office, as is the front office to Pickens. George Pickens said on being asked if he would like to return to Dallas, he said, I would love to, but when you can't control it, you just kind.
Speaker 2: Of hope for the best.
Speaker 6: That's a fair point. There's nothing. There's no shade there, Okay, none at all.
Speaker 2: Let's keep going.
Speaker 3: Well now, not me personally, when talking about if the Cowboys have reached out to him personally on a contract extension, which.
Speaker 6: Is probably a good thing, but it's there talking to the agent.
Speaker 2: Definitely, probably my agent.
Speaker 3: He doesn't tell me who calls all the time, So definitely just kind of waited out and hoped for the best.
Speaker 2: Second time he said that, So a couple of things there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, what's your interpretation, Kyle?
Speaker 2: I have no problem with it. Okay, Yeah, I'm just I'm reading that.
Speaker 6: I have an interpretation.
Speaker 2: What's your interpretation?
Speaker 6: He really wants to stay.
Speaker 2: I think he does.
Speaker 7: The fact that he said keeps I'm saying, I hope it works out for the best. It feels as if he's saying this is the best that he hopes it works out for Yeah. So I mean this goes back to during the season, the you know, the innumerable amount of times that he was asked about you know, free agency and does he want to stay, and every single time he echoed that sentiment he wants to remain with the Cowboys, but it is out of his control.
Speaker 6: And that's true. It's a true statement.
Speaker 3: And Tommy Yarrish asked that question, what is the best mister George Pickens, what.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like is the best?
Speaker 3: He said, just the ultimate best deal where it helps everybody. If it's the best thing for both parties, then I'm willing to do anything. But like I said, I can't control it, so I just kind.
Speaker 2: Of chill listen.
Speaker 7: Even that statement has to make Jerry Stephen Jones smile. Whatever works best for both parties and he wants to It sounds as if and I'm not going to say this because I want every player.
Speaker 6: I'm a player advocate. I want every player to get as much money as they can.
Speaker 2: I know what you're gonna say, don't say it.
Speaker 7: That being said, well number one, let me just say I want to hear about no damn pie. So but the good news is is, and this is. I was having this conversation with a fan. This is funny. And a fan with a fan at a gas station not two days ago. Interesting, not two days ago. I was buying some chips and they're like, hey, you know see and we just started talking to Yeah, tostitos.
Speaker 6: They were delicious. And it was at a seven eleven official sponsor of the Das Calb.
Speaker 2: She had a black rifle coffee in hand too. On his way out, the.
Speaker 7: Fan was asking. He was like, so, what do you what do you think we are on this George Pickens thing. I said, I'll tell you this much. So often we hear Jerry Jones use the pie argument against you know, how things might turn out when negotiating with a free agent. Jerry Jones has basically set that to the side every single time he's been asked about George Pickens. Every time they asked about the salary cap. Oh, we can figure it out. We can figure you never hear Jerry talk about this when it comes to salary cap versus signing a big money player. I think that works in the favor of George Pickens. And then you hear George Pickens saying things like he wants it to work out for both parties involved, not just himself. Man, I think this deal gets done. Now that being said, do I think the deal gets done by February seventeenth, nineteenth?
Speaker 6: No, I think it can. I don't know that it.
Speaker 7: Necessarily will, because there's a lot of moving parts when you're talking about a deal this large. I am of the mindset I think the Cowboys tag him, but I think the tag is to buy time until mid July to get the long term deal done. But then I think it gets done far before July. I just don't know that it gets done before the tag window will close.
Speaker 8: This for all parties, and I guess selfishly, I just want the deal to get done as soon as possible, just so we can stop talking about it. Yeah, George Pickens will be playing for the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Agreed?
Speaker 3: I agree, all right, let's take a call from Troy and Amarillo.
Speaker 2: Troy, you're on talking to the Cowboys. What's going on?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 12: Oh hey, many, good to talk to you guys. You know, I was just thinking the other day, you know, and shout out to Kyle and to Bobby Belt, you know, for the draft show. But I'll tell you, man, we need a couple of drafts, how like Detroit had, you know, back to back, and we can do They may be tough then with this year's the way things are stacking up, but you know, Bobby was right. Man. You talk about you know, two ends, two linebackers to you know, two back end guys and and then maybe one or two safeties. You really need all that and then you know, actually to make and you're not gonna be able to get it all this year. You're just not, don't. I don't think he can do all that. If you have a couple of drafts kind of like Detroit did a couple of years few years back, you can actually make things happen. And I've bet Will mcclayman. You know, these guys really have to hit on them and I think they I think they can. They really do.
Speaker 3: Man, Thank you for the call Troy, I agree with you because and he's referencing a moment on the Draft Show where Bobby outlined a checklist that included multiple players in almost every defensive position, and the checklist was to achieve prior to the draft, so that way you can draft the best player available whenever the time comes. And it's a long list, there's a lot of work to do. It's kind of like what we talked about earlier. It's almost impossible to overhaul a defense in one one summer, but it's possible to take steps in the right direction. And that's where the expectation is middle of the road for this Dallas defense. I do think you might see and everybody's talking to I've always said.
Speaker 2: On the show, what if? I always said on the show, hope is not a strategy.
Speaker 3: But there are some things from this twenty twenty five draft class that you've seen that you hope to see a step forward. Do you plan for it to happen? Absolutely not. Don't plan for it to happen because that's not the strategy. But if it does happen, then all of a sudden, you see Savona Reveel step up and he's the cornerback that you anticipated him to be after a full healthy offseason in an extra training camp of work, and then he turns into being a confident young corner.
Speaker 2: In your defense. Bank there's for Overshown, that's huge.
Speaker 3: Same thing for Overshow and hopefully he's healthy all the way through and he's good to go with a full training camp. Same thing with Shamar James and some of those guys Jaden Blue on the offensive side of the ball. You could go anywhere and talk about what you could do and what you could see from a second year jump.
Speaker 2: Is it expected? No, But that's the type of thing.
Speaker 3: You need in order to really be successful in this league. You need your supplemental guys to join the first round picks that you're selecting and your free agent acquisitions that you had. Imagine if the twenty twenty four class would have taken a second year jump and added to what they found in Javonte Williams, in George Pickens and from the trades with Kenny Clark and quinnin Williams. They didn't get that from the twenty four class. Maybe the twenty five class and can do that.
Speaker 7: You also need at least one surprise from those draft class. So like Dooran Bland turned out to be that surprise, create at least one guy where you're just like who.
Speaker 3: And that was where the twenty three team was legit and that's why they won twelve games. We do have to take our second break when we come back, a couple quick notes on the Shrime Bowl and the Senior Bowl from last week, and then we'll wrap things up on talking Cowboys right after this.
Speaker 12: Oooh, big golf, Sir.
Speaker 6: At At and T.
Speaker 10: We guarantee our network so you can talk college football with your bff while taking Buster to the vet.
Speaker 6: Hey, yeah, I can't believiate the whole thing of chicken wings, and I can't believe we're staging a comeback.
Speaker 8: To your stress.
Speaker 10: Staying connected matters. That's why in the rare event of a network outage, you'll automatically get a bill credit for a full day service for wiless downtime lasting sixty minutes and more caused by single incident impacting ten more towers must connected to imact tower.
Speaker 2: Don't set about it.
Speaker 10: Diristrictions and exclusion apply. Se eet dot Com SLUH guarantee for full details.
Speaker 3: Cowboys fans We've got big news. Black Rifle Energy is now available at Texas seven eleven stores, and for a limited time, you can score two cans for just six dollars at participating locations. These cans pack a serious punch, two hundred milligrams of caffeine, veteran crafted flavor, and the clean energy you need to power through those long days. So the next time you roll into your neighborhood seven eleven here in Texas, grab that two for six dollars Black Rifle Energy deal and fuel up the American Way. Black Rifle Coffee America's coffee.
Speaker 13: If you shout how about them Cowboys, you have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you watch drink Doctor Pepper you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't.
Speaker 6: Be beat better.
Speaker 13: Yet, gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 6: The wins will be even taste here it's a pepper thing.
Speaker 5: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the Code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 4: To the Talking.
Speaker 3: Cowboys back here on Talking Cowboys presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, the official coffee of the Dallas Cowboys. Wrapping things up here on this off season addition with Patrick Nocy Walker, Jacob Rodriguez linebacker out of Texas Tech, and myself Kyle he almos Glass.
Speaker 6: We're missing rich Mocha, who is on Good Morning Football right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Richard's talking to to Brian Bumgardner from the Office, which I'm a little jealous of the guy who played Kevin the Office, but that's that's gonna be a conversation when he gets back. All right, shrimebol and Senior Bo Patrick. You got a chance to see some guys at anybody stick out to you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, quite a bit actually. I mean you know, first of all, let me just lead with this. Mason Rieger, okay, ed rusher from Wiscon edge rusher from Wisconsin sixty five. What a freaking showing dude. He was great in practice, what a freaking monster man, career high three sacks. He he started the flash in the first half that he might start to come on, but that second half he was like, this is this is my game Because early on you had Wesley Williams, Ed Druss Rod of Duke sixty three, two fifty one, you had Keyshawn James Nuby out of New Mexico. Those guys were kind of coming on in the first half, first three quarters, and then Mason Ruger was like, you know what, I'll take it from here. But all three of those guys so rightgro out of Wisconsin, Wesley Williams out of Duke, James Nuby out of New Mexico. Those were my top three edge rushers that jumped out linebackers didn't have a fantastic showing, with the exception of one in particular, Shat Banks University of Texas at San Antonio five eleven, two thirty three. Man, he was just all over the place. He was playing like his hero was on fire. He jumped off.
Speaker 3: He was a late addition to the Shrine bul roster too, because they had some injuries early in the week. Of course, I do the work with the American Conference and I've watched him play for three years now.
Speaker 2: He's a dog.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, his motor is.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't mind taking a day three, wouldn't flyer on him.
Speaker 7: Motors great plays through the whistle, showed me some things in coverage as well as showed me some things in filling run gaps.
Speaker 3: So I'll end on one day practice, one day press, one day practice ready for that sett.
Speaker 7: Banks UTSA keep an eye on that guy. Cornerbacks. It was a tough goal for them. With the exception of Brent Austin out of Cal five eleven one seventy six, third team All acc selection in twenty five. Kind of raw, but had some traits there that showed me some things. In the Shrine Bowls safety one jumped out at me cole is Nowski Texas Tech. We talked about they always yeah six four two twenty uh and the Cowboys are interviewing the Texas Tech position coach on defense, So.
Speaker 6: Keeping eye on that and honorable mention.
Speaker 7: Man, you know, glad it wasn't anything major, but James Thompson, junior out of Illinois, Man, he fired right out of the gate in the Shrine Bowl, suffered a little bit of an injury toward halftime, just ahead of head time halftime, walked off under his own power. Didn't look like he was anything a major concern, but as a precaution, didn't bring him back in the game. But I would have loved to see more. But I saw enough in the first half to make him an honorable mention. And I did do a list of Shrine Bowl standouts that make sense for the Cowboys on Dallas Cowboys dot com dot com.
Speaker 6: Make sure you check that out.
Speaker 3: Do you have any that you watched, either from the Shrine Bowl or a Senior Bowl that stuck out to you?
Speaker 6: Only watched the Shrine Bowl.
Speaker 8: And more so, I was paying attention to the coaching staff because Linda Wells obviously.
Speaker 2: Dude, that was awesome.
Speaker 6: Amazing for him get the gatorade.
Speaker 2: Bath at the end of the game.
Speaker 3: I was just we were sitting in Indianapolis watching the game at a bar and when I mean smiling ear ear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, couldn't have been happier for him.
Speaker 8: So no, and if he decides to depart the Dallas Cowboys for a better opportunity, it's it would be well deserved because a guy that has just put in so much work to to gain the credibility that he has A player favorite obviously just really stock for him. But Rager, like you said, I really liked him a lot or Riyger excuse me. Yeah, that was about it. But I just watched Shrine Bowl a little bit. Isaiah stand Back did a great job.
Speaker 2: He did do on the NFL Networks fun. Yeah it was.
Speaker 3: It was a good week across the board, and I thought the Shrine bol did a nice job of weathering the storm, no pun intended.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, no, that was crazy because cancer.
Speaker 3: The storm itself was crazy, And I mean I risked my life getting on the eyes just to get down to practice a couple of times over the weekend. And I'm glad everybody stayed safe. They were able to keep all the practices keep the game going. The crowd wasn't as good as it probably should have been, which is part of the weather.
Speaker 6: Makes sense for getting there.
Speaker 3: But they kept all the guys safe and that was the number one thing. But I'm talking specifically about them having fifty four opt outs going into the game, and they still had a pretty good product on the field as well. One guy wanted to shout out before we get out of here, Landon Robinson, interior defensive lineman from Navy.
Speaker 2: Dude, he was all over all week long, one of the standouts. He's a smaller body.
Speaker 3: I don't know if he's going to get drafted because he's only two hundred and eighty seven pounds six foot and he's a nose tackle three technique type of guy.
Speaker 2: I don't know if he'll get drafted, but man, he was really fun.
Speaker 6: He showed out.
Speaker 3: He's like he reminded me of Willy Lampkin. For those that do follow the draft, Willy Lampkin was a North Carolina offensive lineman last year, which was just out there whooping feet as we like to the draft show, whooping feet and getting out there and taking care of business. But he was so significantly undersized that he went underdrafted. Same kind of thing with Landon Robinson. I hope he gets a shot somewhere because he's a good kid too, and he had a really good week of practice in the Shrine Bowl, so I wanted.
Speaker 6: To shot him. He showed out.
Speaker 7: And if for those that followed the positions that I named for Cowboy Fronbo standouts that make sense for the Cowboys, notice I did not note any defensive tackles, and that wasn't because they didn't show out. It's because, circling back to the beginning to make sense for the it doesn't make sense.
Speaker 6: For the colt.
Speaker 2: Hey maybe our drafted free agent.
Speaker 6: That sounds good.
Speaker 2: Good to me?
Speaker 3: All right, that's good to do it for us here on Talking Cowboys. Be sure to join us next Tuesday. We will be back ten am Central time to make it happen. For Patrick Nose Walker, for Josh Rodriguez, Chris beating the back. I'm Kyle Yeoman's saying so long. We'll see you next week with more Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 9: Cowboy