Speaker 1: The guys from paying They've kind of showed me how much the equipment matters.
Speaker 2: I just love that I can hit any shot I kind of want.
Speaker 3: We're gonna be able to tell some fun stories about what goes on here to help golfers play better golf.
Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome back to the Ping prooven Grounds podcast. I'm Shane Bak and joined us always by Marty Jertsen. Marty, We've got someone that I think has like level IQ to you on the podcast today.
Speaker 2: Is that is that fair to say? Are we okay saying that?
Speaker 4: Marty?
Speaker 3: Nico and I have had some fun conversations. Shane, this is gonna be a fun one, brother.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, I you know, it's a company I'm very interested in. I've I've heard about it over the years. Nico Daris is with us from Golf Blueprint and Nico first and foremost. I think for people that don't know what Golf Blueprint is, can you just kind of explain it like you're explain it to somebody at a holiday party, Like what do you do when you tell them what you do?
Speaker 5: So whenever that happens, I always say to him, how long do you have? First and foremost, because that's really that's really the case.
Speaker 2: This is the Internet, babe. You can go as long as you.
Speaker 5: Of course, So the thirty thousand foot super quick one is. Golf Blueprint is a data and analytics company. I started with a friend named doctor Kevin Moore, and originally I started out as his student. Kind of a funny story about how we met through a podcast Andy's I know he's a friend of all of ours on the Frida Egg and started off as a student. I was a first semester doctoral student at Education and basically shot him a cold email said, hey, man, I'm new to golf. I've been playing two years at that point, playing the mini tours, and I need help because I'm tired of getting absolutely waxed in Arizona. Needless to say, shooting seventy two on the Outlaw Tour wasn't getting it done, and so Kevi and I started GV together. We have clients all around the world. We worked with everything from you know typically like the highest range is like twenty ish handicap, that's what we like to say, all the way down to the best players in the world. And we designed practice plans. That's our main bread and butter. So taking what someone does well, whether it's through a questionnaire. Obviously the tour guys are completely different with super hands on, but for the average member, they fill out a questionnaire and then from that questionnaire we try to deduce down essentially areas of the game that they can improve in super high yield stuff that if you're a dad, if you're you know, a mom, you have an hour a week, two hours a week you can try to get better and more importantly have a little fun nak.
Speaker 3: I think that's such an important problem to be solved. I think every golfer is faced with this dilemma where you have maybe you have twenty minutes before you go play to practice. Maybe you're like getting into it, you're a scratch golfer, your club and you're putting in three to four hour, three to four good hours a week.
Speaker 4: It's like what do you do with that time? Right?
Speaker 3: So that's basically what Golf Blueprint is doing is trying to maximize, like you said, the yield or like how do you structure your time, which I think a lot of golfers are, even the best players in the world, which I love to get some stories about that from you are struggle with that problem, right totally.
Speaker 5: So one thing I think that we all understand and work around and being with tour guys is they're just regular people who happen to be freaks at hitting golf balls. They struggle with the same things, right, They have lives, they have kids, And as much as everyone has read the story of you know, the most famous golfer in the world waking up at four am and running thirteen miles and then doing an obstacle course and hitting balls for six hours, you know, probably not the reality for most guys. They want to get up, they want to you know, get their workout in, and they want to be home, right. They want to be able to enjoy their lives, the same as the country club scratch who's trying to get a little better. And more importantly to us that you know, ten to fourteen handicapper that just like dreams of playing in their club championship, how do they get better? And I think one of the big things for us is understanding nerding out here chaos theory, where yeah, there's a huge, like wide swath of golfers that all play the game at different levels, but we really tried to figure out what makes them more similar and what can we then do to help those players, because there might be a million reasons you're a ten handicap, but pretty much deduce you're not a good driver of the ball as a ten handicap. And so once we were able to just make those like huge hypothesis guess and then build a plan and try, it was essentially trial and error in the beginning to now we feel relatively confident. I would say, obviously, like this is me being an academic, where like I will never tell you I'm super confident in something just because there's two hundred people out there who are way smarter and better at what they do. But we feel pretty confident that, like you said, Marty, those super high yield things, right. I listened to your podcast with Andrew Rice, Like working on your driver at the driving range. Everyone makes fun of that you should be working on your driver at the driving rade. Yeah, absolutely, Hammer that.
Speaker 1: They have a distance. That's the big Northeast issue. I mean, living in the Northeast, it's like, where can I go bang drivers? I gotta go out on my golf course. But Nico, I want to go back to kind of the start of this because I'm very interested in anybody that finds a solution for a problem. I mean, Marty, I've talked about stack over the years. Obviously, I when you think about the introduction of the Ping company, I mean it was literally there were issues and problems and mister Solheim's came up with solutions for those issues. Did you look around and say there's nothing like this? Were you looking online trying to find maybe some sort of a If I have an hour and a half each week to go out and practice, what should I do? Because I do find being an adult is extremely intimidating in terms of getting into something new. People want to go work out, Where do you start? How do you do it? How do I break up my time between leg day and AR and DAYA? What do those days even mean?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: And I even think for good players at times, Hey, I got to go to the range and work on something. But what the hell am I doing at the driving range in terms of my forty five minutes? So did you dig online initially to see what was out there in this space and basically come back with no results?
Speaker 5: So as a mega doork, of course, that is my job as research and I scoured the internet and read as much as I could, and I came across nothing really that's stuck, and that was a huge issue. I come from team sports, so I came from a baseball backer and played a little in school, and I didn't have to show up to baseball practice and create my own plan total. All I had to do was show up and execute. So then when I was trying to get better at golf, I did what everyone does, and I watched Tiger play Tory Pines in two thousand and you know, just obliterate everybody, and it, for some reason wasn't helping me shoot lower scores, much to my chagrin. But then I was like, Okay, how do I structure my time? Because when I was in school, my time was so variable. Some days I'd have an hour, some days i'd have none, some days I'd have three hours. And I wasn't getting better fast enough. So I had to close the gap between where I was and where I wanted to be. And I didn't have time to say, okay, well I have ten years to do this. Well, I wanted to get better in two weeks, not ten years, and so I had to essentially, like you said, solve the problem of time. How do I structure my practice so that when I go home, I can say, look, I actually did something, I got better versus I think all of us have done this. We show up and we're like, hey, what am I work on today? And then you hit a squirrely seven iron, and then forty five minutes goes by and you've just hit nothing but seven irons for forty five minutes, and then you have to go home. And some days that's really you know, that's effective practice right there. I'm never gonna say there's no such things as bad practice, but being able to go home and say, look I accomplished something. I'm working towards a larger goal. And the biggest thing in my end is not being reactive to, like I said, that last shot or that last game, or that last tournament that you played in all of us that played tournament golf, or some days you go out there and you flush it. Other days you show up and you know you chip terribly well, that might just be an anomaly, or maybe you are a horrific chipper and you should spend a little bit more time working on it.
Speaker 2: Do you iron those things out? Nico within golf blueprint.
Speaker 1: I mean, like, let's say Marty was struggling with pitching the golf ball or I was struggling with putting. Can you input those types of things within the system and it will it will. It will give you more time to focus on the things you struggle on. Is that part of kind of the AI side of it or whatever?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, So we absolutely let golfers tell us what they need. At the end, I mean, we've been through every iteration of like AI machine learning about you know, what do we think the player needs? And then finally we sat down and we're like, why don't we just let the player tell us what they want to work on? Like this again, sometimes we solve problems that we don't have. We're like, oh my goodness, why didn't you just like start at square one. The tour is a little bit different, and I will always clarify, like the amateur golfer and the tour golfer are not playing the same sport as the three of us, understand. So with the tour guys, it's my job to kind of push and pull and say, yeah, I know you think you're about iron player, Actually not right now, let's spend a little bit more time on wedges and let's continue working that because those guys tend to be hyper reactive and ladies. I love my LPGA girls as well, where they tend to be a little bit more reactive to what just happened versus my six, twelve and eighteen pointh goals.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Nico, I find myself phoning victim to that, like recency bias, man play that one tournament, putted bat the last round or the last three holes.
Speaker 4: I'm like, I gotta, I gotta.
Speaker 2: On the planet. Hey, Marty, can I ask you a question?
Speaker 1: I want to ask you about, like, how do you go about as somebody that's competitive and has played this game for so long, how do you go about your practice? And I'm assuming it has changed over the years. I know you're one that's always kind of focused on how do you maximize every kind of minute you have in your life across the board? How have you how is your practice evolved changed? And how do you go about an hour on the range if you have that time on a Tuesday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a great question. It's a never ending journey, Shane.
Speaker 3: So it's like it's not like I have like the magic or the secret formula for this. But I try to be very smart about practicing the most impactful parts of the game for whatever tournament or event that I have coming up. So like it's pretty you know, you know what course you have coming up, Niko. I'm gonna love getting into some stuff with you on preparing some tour players for some very specific courses. But I got a specific course, specific tournament coming up. I play some term as Shane in Arizona, where the driver's not that important. I'm gonna be hitting my thriver, my three wood. It's gonna be all about wedges from ninety to one thirty. I'll put a lot of time in there. I'll measure it, launch monitor, and put a lot of focus to that. I always do like very simple maintenance on my putting, so like alignment, aims, start line, I call that kind of maintenance. It's more of the boring block practice you see all the tour players doing it, and then cycle it with plenty plenty of like meaningful intent, like randomized practice that has some results. I put some pressure on myself and I love playing like nine holes, like I'm the King of nine Holes. After work, sometimes I'll play like a worst ball thing out there format. When I was getting ready for some of the majors in my home course, Wildfire Shane, I would tee off. I would go to where my t shot went, literally drive one hundred yards, back, drop my ball and hit my second shot in from there. That was a pretty good representation of like Beth Page of wing. I was gonna say, that's like Bethpage Black two point out.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: You gotta get a little creative. I mean, that's the only way you can get to hit the five iron in there here in some of the Arizona golf.
Speaker 2: That's really really smart. I mean, you know, I think you know, Nico.
Speaker 1: To Marty's point is we've been twenty we've been twenty five, we've been thirty, right, and we just continue to go about our business.
Speaker 2: And you know, I'm Marty.
Speaker 1: Something I've tried to change personally is not sitting on the range hitting more than ten shots with one club.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So if I'm hitting ten eight irons, that's that's the max number I'm gonna hit with the single club, and then I'm gonna move on. Nico, when you've done a deep dive into this type of stuff, is there a number you put on the maximum amount of golf shots you'd be hitting with a single club or single shot. Do you do any of that where it's like this is enough of that club, let's move on.
Speaker 5: So two things, Marty, A number one slam duck like of all of that. And I also really want to highlight both of what you said about getting out of the golf course because this answers your question, Shane, we only get one shot. Well, theoretically you could pump a bunch of balls ob off the ta. You can get as many tries as you want. Believe me, I've been there. But on the course you're only really getting one shot at it. And so yes, the idea of random practice where you're just theoretically constantly cycling through it's not really realistic. So I don't necessarily have a number. So much as for my true tour sickos, I basically work them into two categories. It's either an outcome, so you need to hit ten seven irons at this target that start two yards left and they fade into the window, or for like my Mega Mega megacickos, I make them stop at a certain amount of time, so I might give them eight minutes or ten minutes to complete a task, because otherwise one of my players, in particular, who happen to be world number one, will stand there until his hands bleed and he will not do anything else until he's accomplished that goal. And when you realize why he's will number one. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. But in terms of again we keep going to that like high yield practice, we need them to move on from that task makes them amazing at what they do, but I still need you to go hit your freaking three wood for ten minutes, man, Like we're gonna have to hit that, Like Marty said a bunch of times at our next event, Let's make sure we're staying on.
Speaker 3: Task, Nico. I think one of the big AHA moments for me. I remember this, like yesterday. It was at the PGA Championship. I'm on the putting green and I'm doing my man kind of mindless practice I'm doing. I'm hitting my my straight in four footers and then I'm doing some blag putts and I remember Jordan Spieth was there and camera Cameron McCormick was guiding his practice and he had his his his watch out on his phone, you know, he had he had the timer going, and I heard him saying to Jordan, Okay, we got we got eight minutes left. And he's walking off and tell him what putts to hit and they're counting everything, they're codifying everything, and he was like, okay, he's got eight minutes left to box in his practice. And I was like, man, this is no wonder. These guys are different, you know. And but not everyone is like that, because I've had friends on tour that show up at the putting Green and they're like, oh, everyone's banging in straight putts, let me go do that. That must be what I need to do. And they're kind of lost as well. So even some of the tour players are kind of probably you know, kind of confused on what is the best way to spend that time, especially on the putting green.
Speaker 5: Right, totally tour pros. Like we said, they're normal human beings too, right, I wouldn't have a job if everyone was able to structure their own practice and be able to manage their time effectively. And I think one of the biggest things that Cameron, you know, Cameron's a friend and does great work with but Jordan is that being able to just allow that player's brain to turn off that they don't have to plan something. All they're doing is executing. Especially tournament week, your only jobs put the ball in the hole, have other people take care of all the distractions and get rid of all of the side things so that you just have a clear green light to executing. I'm going to do this, I'm going to do that, and then I'm going to go play. How relaxing would that be versus you know, the three of us were our own caddy and then we're doing this, and you know, I'm probably filming on Instagram video and thinking about whatever else I'm having for dinner that night, and then it's no wonder I go shoot seventy six. Right, It's a little bit of a different strategy, Marty.
Speaker 2: I ran into that at the Amateur last year. I remember that. I you know, I've.
Speaker 1: Played in tournaments and I've had I you know, I don't travel much for golf anymore like for golf tournament golf, Right, I mean, I just don't. I'm not gonna go travel much. I'm gonna go maybe play two tournaments a year on the road. And I found myself to your point, Nico kind of looking around, you know, I look, I was looking around at other people what they were doing. And then I'd go back to the hotel thinking should I be back at the range? And I might go back to the range. But Nico, I think this is where golf blueprints started. In theory is even if I go back to the range, I have no plan. I'm gonna go hit some shots and and and there's likelihood I might find something bad in the golf swing versus finding answers that I don't even know what I'm looking for. When you, guys, first, I wanted to ask when was the aha moment with a tour player? Like when did you have the first person that reached out to you guys and you were like, oh my goodness, this is somebody that matters. And when that when the steady stream started to come from the big time players and from people that mattered. How how stressful was that to lay out plans for these people that are at a level of golf most people don't understand.
Speaker 5: So I can tell you to two funny stories without names. So the first tor pro, that kind of big name we got in, he called us, we resumed him. He was in the drive through with his wife and we're like, what is going on, Like just the most classic like chaotic dude who just is the biggest free soul and the greatest human in the planet. And we're like, what do you do for practice? He's like, yo, God is my witness. He goes, well, I get there and I start with a five iron, and you know, if I hit a couple of good ones, I go play and I'm like, looking, I have this whole stats presentation everything. I'm like, I'm like pouring over the data, and I was like, hey man, you actually hopping to be number one last year on tour, from like one seventy five to two hundred, so you probably hit it pretty good most days of the five iron, right. He goes well, yeah, I go so you don't practice then, right? He goes well, not really, actually just cracked up where we're like, okay, like totally took the veil of like, oh my gosh, it's the tour into just all right. These are regular dudes who are really good at their job. And the second piece is is that first kind of big aha moment of this actually works. I always laugh. Everyone I've ever worked with is better than me at the game of golf. So everybody that I've worked with, I'm terrified of course that you know, hopefully this works, hopefully it will, hopefully it won't. And that's just confidence now in having done it for a couple of years, where you're like, hey, you know what, I think this first plan is going to be a good guess and I think that some of these games are gonna work for you. But more importantly the ones that don't, you need to tell me why, because on my end, look, we have the greatest hits. We met a T shirt. It was hilarious. It's Golf Blueprint's greatest hits with all of our game, and there's a really good chance that death taxes in the nine iron will clean up your short game. But for some players it might be a disaster, and we need to know why. And that kind of combo of having the confidence to send something and say I believe this is going to work, but also the mental elasticity to hear, hey, man, this one sucked and here's why, and not have the ego to judge that player, but just to listen, say all right, man, hey, tell me about why you know you didn't like it. Well, maybe they're working on a draw pattern with their coach and we gave them hit three fades and they just don't want to do it. Totally okay by.
Speaker 3: Me, Niko, Do you work with a lot of college teams high school teams? I mean this sounds like perfect for you know, if I'm on a golf team, you know, you show up to practice or your schedule is a little bit different with labs or things of that nature. How much work do you guys do with juniors or colleges high schools?
Speaker 5: So I'll separate juniors and colleges out a little bit. I do not work with juniors, and I'm very clear about that because I'm really afraid that if I'm not there, golf blueprint in the wrong hands is a disaster because for a parent who takes this to the extreme, they're going to blow past my ten minute you know, time meter and that kid. I don't want a kid to be stuck there doing a drill for three hours when it's only meant to be ten minutes. So, Kevin, I made a decision very early on that, Hey, listen, we're not going to do juniors. If a parent buys it for their kid, obviously great. We hope that they follow the directions. The last thing I want is for someone in ten years to play on tour and be like, dude, you maybe do those drills forever. I'm like, no, dude, it was the opposite. But yeah, we have some great relationships with college teams. Those are grown Those are grown men and grown women who are able to hopefully manage their time. And that's more of a consulting thing that we do for fun, not necessarily a part of the business, just more as you know, we've made some great inroads with college coaches.
Speaker 2: Nico.
Speaker 1: You mentioned the hit shirt, and I don't want you to get two deep in the weeks because obviously you want people to go out and and some describe and buy golf Blueprint, But can you just maybe lay out a couple of the most popular programs you guys give to players. What that might look like to not a professional player, but maybe a single digit handicap or somebody that's a twelve thirteen handicap trying to improve totally.
Speaker 5: And I will also preface this by saying I'm not a great businessman, and then I give everything away on my Instagram. So if you're if you're falling out private, you can follow up. You've probably seen enough golf blueprints or my daily posts to just watch what I'm doing. So I always clarify that to people that if money is an issue, shoot us an email. We'd love to help you. Like, we didn't get into the golf business to make money. This was keV had another job at another job. We did it because we loved it, and we also then created a business out of it. So I always clarify that piece. But the most important games that I found at the tour level are wedge play, because especially for super high speed guys, they have a hard time dumping that speed. I know, Marty and I've talked a lot about ball speed, and everyone wants to drive the Ferrari down the Autobahn at two hundred, nobody wants to drive it in a school zone at thirty five, where there's massive consequences, and that's wedge play. So the tours wedge play. We talk a lot about that. The amateurs. We find a ton of gains in short game and driving those obviously approach plays. Huge wedges are huge. Putting's huge, but getting someone to be able to drive the ball accurately enough enough is the keyword as an amateur, and then be able to just kind of clean up the short game. Not good, not great. So for example, a driving game for those people at home. You pick two targets out in the air roughly sixty yards and hit ten balls. See how many you hit and play. I mean, these are the most basic ground level things you can do when you're chipping. Hit three balls, how many of them were within six feet? You know, fifty to fifty. So these are all the kind of things that you can do at home without ever subscribing to golf blueprint that I hope someone would take away from social media or a podcast like.
Speaker 3: This and Nico, those are great. They don't require a launch monitor, any measurement stuff. I mean, you can go to any range, any chip and green do these things right.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, And a launch monitor is a huge barrier to entry. I'm fortunate to work with a launch monitor company. I know how expensive they are. I know how expensive all these things are, and more importantly, how expensive are range balls. I went to a public course the other day in South Florida and paid twenty dollars for seventy balls. Of those seventy balls. Probably ten of them were rocks, yea, you know the other twenty of them didn't fly straight. And so you sit there and you say to people like, well, how can I get better? You need to be able to maximize your time. And I always say this, chipping and putting's free. You know, you could show up to a place chip and putt and you can get really good at that for no cost.
Speaker 3: My kids and I would just watch the Full Swing episode with Tony Fee now and there and he went to his house in Utah and that you know, his dad's like they went to see his garage, had all the dings in it, and he would hit balls all week.
Speaker 4: Couldn't afford rain and be like, hey, every Sunday we go chip and putt. It was free.
Speaker 5: Love it. Love that because it's a huge barrier to entry unfortunately for people. Yeah, there's things that are changing that with eGolf and sim golf and whatnot, but as it stands right now, you know, driving range balls can be expensive at a public place.
Speaker 2: And not getting cheaper.
Speaker 1: I mean I find you know, Marty, you know it's so interesting and I mean, obviously you know you live in Phoenix.
Speaker 2: I was talking to my uncle.
Speaker 1: A couple of weeks ago, we were talking about the Driving Range and how it feels like the range that we knew, Marty, that's a range with grass that has a lot of targets, maybe has green targets that they mow down. It feels like that's kind of dying a bit. I mean a lot of this is going the technological route, where you know it's kind of got you know, top tracer things like that, which are great and very fun. But for a golfer that's trying to find answers in the dirt, they're not always the best places to go. I think about Dobson Ranch, Marty, all the time. I mean, if you think about the old Dobson Ranch range, it was awesome. You get the jumbo bucket, it was like eleven bucks. You go out there and hit it a whole bunch of targets, and now it's really it's rather expensive to go there, and most of the time you're hitting off Matt So Niko, I think your point about, Hey, the short game is where you.
Speaker 2: Can save the most strokes on the planet. We all know that.
Speaker 1: But if you can go out there and spend half an hour to your point you're somebody that has a job and they have children, and they don't have all the time in the world, but they subscribe to Golf Blueprint and you give them a lesson plan for half an hour week on the short game. You can go do that basically anywhere, even if the greens aren't great. You can go out there and actually work on certain things and see how the results come about.
Speaker 5: Totally Nico.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna ask you a selfish question here, what protocol, what type of protocol or practice or gamification would you do for a player who gets really nervous on the first tea? Because I know you've done some research with breath work, heart rate variability, how to calm your nervous system or ramp it up on purpose in practice? Right, tell us a little bit about your work in that space, and maybe some tips, tricks or ideas for folks out there that might.
Speaker 4: Get a little shaky on that first shot.
Speaker 5: Oh boy, let me tell you, my hands chatter every day, doesn't matter, they especially over that first three foot little slider. Maybe it's inside, old boy. So it all started for me a couple of years ago with one of my tour players, and they were wearing a whoop band. I have a partnership with them, so free ads on that behalf. I will always clarify. And I was watching his heart rate over a six footer with a chance to tie, and this put would have changed his life. He had a chance to tie. He didn't have a lot of status, and he didn't sniff the cup. And I looked back and it was one hundred and forty six over that six foot putt, and I was like, whoa, wait a second, you know there's something here. And in Phoenix, one of my closest friends was Special Forces and I was telling him the story and he was like, dude, we used to do heart rate work all the time. And it just kicked off this basically year long deep dive of researching every single thing that I possibly could on the correlation between heart rate and performance and where do where does the the basic X Y axis For those of you who aren't listening, my fingers are in an X Y axis of Okay, we know that we can't perform at sixty hard. Your heart rate at sixty is not going to perform. You're just you're not in competition. You're probably sitting on your couch but we also know that at one hundred and fifty you start to lose control of your fingertips, that they go a little bit numb. Things start to change, you know, your decision making starts to cloud. And so it was essentially trying to figure out through just massive trial and error of doing it on myself, jamming my heart rate up with burpies, listening to metal music at full blast, and just really uncomfortable hours and hours and hours on the range of figuring out not only where do I play, but then what can I replicate for other players so that they can try their best, because it's never going to be the same, right. But I always use the analogy we take a seventeen eighteen year old kid off the street and two years later they become a functioning Navy seal. Why is it that we don't believe that in golf you can go from having never played to being able to perform. You could train someone to perform. Essentially, I always say, by keeping your finger over the flame, you'll start to go numb. And for me, every single person that I play with is better than me at golf every single day. They're all tour pros, that's who I play with, and I got tired of freaking out every day over those three footers, and I said to myself, yes, I want to get better mentally, I want to get better physically, But what's this kind of third missing piece that I don't quite understand? How come I freak out every single day? And finally I just got to the point where I said, you know what, I can't change it. I'm gonna accept it. Now. I look at things as a bell curve. Ten to twenty days a year, I am flushing it. I slept eight hours, I had a great breakfast, Everything went right. My favorite song was on the radio. Ten to twenty days a year. My arms feel like an octopus. I hit nothing but Al hose L's and oh dear, life is a disaster. Most days are somewhere in the middle. How do we manage that day to day?
Speaker 1: In golf, Marty, I wanted to ask, Uh, what's the most nervous you've ever been on the first tea? What's the most nervous first tea in your life?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 3: Twenty eleven PGA Championship first t shot, and it's because I went into that event.
Speaker 4: Shane.
Speaker 3: The course, the course, was tough Atlanta Athletic Club. Like there's holes with water, some holes. The course is obviously very long and penalizing. I didn't sleep good the night before.
Speaker 4: I wasn't.
Speaker 3: I wasn't particularly hitting it good in my practice rounds. Obviously that could change, but I was like, I just I was a nervous wreck. And I get on that first tee and it's not a driver hole. It's like you got to turn a three wood. I really wish I had my driver.
Speaker 4: I'm my driver. Oh gosh, it was. It was all day long.
Speaker 3: I kept thinking, how can I hit a driver on this hole? It's just not a driver and so that was the kicker. So I had to hit a three when I blocked it over in the right raugh hitting the bunker made a bogie. Oh man, But that.
Speaker 4: Was the.
Speaker 5: Is the scariest shot in golf. You're on the first tea. I was talking to one of my tour guys who played in the Brookline Open, and same story for him, first major, getting up there, just shaking, and he said he hit a driver off the shaft, and I mean he said he didn't get any of the club face, and he's like, dude, I think I hit this thing two hundred and thirty six yards and everyone clapped and I was like, goodness, gracious, get me out of here, Marty.
Speaker 2: This is the Thriver. I mean, this is one of the River's the plane. It's just like one of the first teams.
Speaker 1: By the way, Marty, I don't know if you deal with this, but a few a few days ago, I was playing with a friend of mine could not understand the Thriver thing, and then every time I hit the Thriver he would he could never get which one was? Which did you get to pick? There was at the driver. I just want to almost get like the Bubba Pink one for my driver, so people will like truly understand the difference. But I guarantee you, since we've started this podcast, Marty, I think I've personally sold fifty Thrivers because once once people understand the benefit of not having it three with when you don't want to throw it off the team. But dude, that Marty, that makes me nervous thinking about it. It's like first t shots, super nervy, like playing the Amutur last year. First holl was Colorado Golf Club six fifty par five. It's like, listen, I get to swing as hard as I can out of at least I know that I know I can at least do this, and that's the that's the that's the good thing, Nico. I want to go back to tour players for just a moment, because you get a tour player that approaches you about golf Blueprint. Then you see success with a tour player that's using golf blueprint. What's the you don't have the name names, but like, what's the biggest compliment you've received from the highest level of player about what you've done for their mental game or physical game, or just the way they've gone about like off weeks or spending time in their game.
Speaker 5: The biggest compliment ever was watching an interview and someone asked a question about a really particular knee high shot at a very famous golf club in Georgia that has played typically in April.
Speaker 2: Okay, never heard of it, Yeah, never heard of it.
Speaker 5: And the guy said, I've hit that shot before in practice for the last two months, and I'm getting to hear that was so freaking cool and just be able to go wow, dude. That translated like when a pro says I've hit that shot that's everything Like that is so rewarding because, like Marty said, you you plan out your weeks and we all plan like, all right, I'm gonna hit it here, I'm gonna hit it there. Well, I'm not that good at executing, and so sometimes I do, but they often do. And so to be able to plan and then execute on your game plan is just so rewarding. Everyone who's played a round of golf where you know you're looking where you're hitting it. God, what a good feeling and how fun is the game when when you're doing that.
Speaker 3: I think about this Nico that you know, I think, day in and day out, if there wasn't that tournament in April and augusta, you know, I think your your average tour player could go through the rest of the year hitting the balls straight, hitting a little cut, but that one tournament there is you know, demands and the tour players have you they literally have all winter to think about that, you know, if that's their penultimate goal is to win the Masters, there are specific shots you need to pull off there, right, absolutely, So how do you weave that in like preparing one of the best players in the world, whether it's for that tournament, or another one weave in where they have to practice a certain shot but not overdo it, Like if I were practicing for Augusta. It's not like I'm going to hit draws all day long and change my whole pattern.
Speaker 4: Raws. You just need it a couple times, right, how do you weave that? Weave that in?
Speaker 5: So there's two ways to look at it. There's the way that you can struct your practice so that let's say three months out, two months out, a month out, a couple of weeks out. That's a huge and easy way to do it so that you essentially just ramp up.
Speaker 2: It's like Madill exactly.
Speaker 5: Same same deal, where you're gonna say, all right, you know we're gonna spend a little extra time on three woods a thriver for that course would be amazing. Being able to turn it, love, I think you sold fifty one. I'm free to get one after this.
Speaker 2: Come on, come on, I know it, guy. I know a guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I think we know a guy. So be able to manage that and then essentially understanding like where's that player at on tour? Are they world number one? Who can focus on the majors? Because this is going to be a shocker to people at home. The week two weeks are important, but the majors matter most when you're at that level. Now, if you're number one twenty five and you need to get inside that top seventy five, all of a sudden, the off week, you know, the opposite field event that is your major because you need to perform. You don't have the ability to say, you know what, two shots inside the cut line and I'm gonna work that draw right here. You can't do that because you need to perform. Every day is the single most important event of your life when you're playing for your life every day. So it's understanding where that player's at and then their own risk tolerance, right because, like you said, they don't just hit one yard fades. I know it's going to be shocking out there to people at home, but they're not robots. People work the ball both ways. And what's the individual player's risk tolerance to say, you know what, I know in a couple months, I'm gonna have to hit this one. Let's work on that now. I've seen that shot and every round is important. But to the best players in the world, you have a little bit more luxury and being able to play with a shot here, play with a shot there.
Speaker 1: Uh Nico, I want to I want to ask about the everyday golfer and just the plan. You know, somebody who's listening to this podcast, they want to sign up for Golf Blueprint. How far out are you structuring plans for people that are the everyday golfer, not the tour pro that want to be a part of this. Is this like weeks in advance, months in advance, Like how far out are your structuring their plans for their practice?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so when they first sign up, they're able to just fill out a questionnaire and again kind of tell us what they want, right, what do you want out of this? Because at the end of the day, learner empowered instruction is just, in my opinion, the way to go. If I was going to go get a guitar lesson, I want to learn how to play Metallica. I don't want to learn how to play you know, classic rock whatever. I want to learn Metallica. And so we always say to people like, tell us what you want. That's huge, and then give us the more information that you have. If you have access to a launch ponditor, if you have access to stats. If you have a handicap, tell us, tell us what you're good at, tell us what you struggle at, and then that first month will give them essentially our best guess. We always like to say that by the end of month three we're typically pretty good and dialed in. But that's where we can really start to dial that upp a more and say, okay, hey, look, you know you want a little more short game. Fine, we'll tweak that algorithm to give you that. But also we have to understand that human beings are poor self assent, and at the end of the day, our job is to hold the reins of that and say, look, we know you, all of a sudden you figured out your driver, but we're not going to stop hitting drivers now and just go all to work on putters, because we do that as human beings, right, We over emphasize one area of the game, and then all of a sudden we forget about how to hit a seven iron and now we need to hit a seven iron on a part three. So it's that kind of push pull that that we work really hard on the amateur side with to work with them more importantly on their goals outcome and process.
Speaker 4: Niko, if you could give advice to.
Speaker 3: Fifteen year old golfer, you know, just maybe just giving giving up a couple of his other sports basketball, baseball, and wants to go all in on golf.
Speaker 4: What tips would you give? Would you give like a youngster out there?
Speaker 5: Oh that's a good question. Uh, I'm gonna take this from a speed perspective with you guys and stacks, tons of tour guys at Stack get fast number one, because when we're evaluating players, basically, speed is a yes or no. Do you have X amount of ball speed or do you not? Now there's some dudes that play at one fifty five, one sixty on tour. They are anomalies. If you have one hundred and eighty nine hour ball speed, life is just easier. It's just easier to play on tour. Now. There's also a bell curve on the other end, something we can talk about. But for that kid, I would say, remaining athletic is so freaking important. If you could play other sports, great. All the parents want to specialize their kids at nine, ten, eleven years old. It freaks me out personally. I think you lose a lot of athleticism and I think you gain a lot in playing other sports. Now, if you're going to go be world number one at seventeen, hey man, I understand that. But if you're going to play college golf, be clear about your own goals. Hey, my goal is to play Division one college golf. Great, there's also Division two, there's Division three, there's a NAIA, there's JUCO. Playing Division one. Isn't the end all be off? You don't go to the number one school in the country. That's okay golf. You can make it in a million different ways. To me, I would advise them to fall in love with the game and more importantly, fall in love with the process, because being good at sixteen is cool. You make a lot more money at twenty six now with nil. Hey man, I don't know. There's a h Yeah, listen, there's a bunch of dieteen yearls that drive lambos. So maybe I'm an old boomer, but my advice is, hey, listen, you're gonna win a lot of majors at twenty six. Try to develop and learn skills, take risks. It's okay to hit the ball both ways. It's okay to swing as hard as you can and miss with a driver, It's okay to try that crazy flop shot when you're fifteen. I want to see someone who can develop, because by the time you get to me, I don't work with kids. I work with the best players in the world. By the time you get to me, those days are over. Now it's your job. Now it's a grind, and you're coming to me trying to have fun, enjoy it with your buddies, spend the extra hour. You know, you don't know any responsibilities, you know, owt any bills. Mom and dad are paying for your entry fee. Life is pretty good at that age.
Speaker 1: I think your point is such a great one, Niko, about you know, you might have goals if you don't check that box, don't give up. Maybe now you got to just adjust. Maybe maybe you got to adjust what you're going to do here and there. And there are different paths to this, right, and I think that's what makes every sport cool. You know, when those those NFL offenses will list off the colleges to start the game, it's not all Baama, LSU in Texas, right, you got North Dakota State. You know, you got these random colleges that will pop in. You know, from time to time, and it's just a reminder that you can get there down a different road.
Speaker 2: You might just have to work a little bit harder down that road.
Speaker 5: Totally. Yeah, there's there's a million opportunities in golf. There's an interesting question that I've heard a really famous I've heard Claude Harmon say to mini tour guys a lot and he'll ask them, He'll say, why aren't you playing on the tour And they'll give a million different reasons and I need to do this, and he goes, no, you're not playing on tours. You're not good enough. We have Monday qualifiers and you can show up and play. This isn't like the MLB or NFL draft to where you have to play at a certain school, get drafted, go to the combine. There's nothing holding you back from going and shooting sixty one and playing in the big leagues that week. Think about it. I can't go to a baseball game, have a sick home run derby batting practice and you know, back forth behind John Carlos Stanton Like, it doesn't work that way. But in golf we still have the most amazing democratic process of a Monday qualifier. If you can afford the couple hundred bucks, which by the way, I think is way too high. But that's neither here nor there. And you could show up and play. You get to play on tour. That is the most amazing thing in the world to me, And I think it freaks me out that kids have. If I don't do this, then I'm done. No, man, you always have the opportunity to play professional golf. There's nothing stopping you. It's objective. If you could shoot the score, you get to play.
Speaker 1: I think it's the line from Tim Cupbardy. I mean, you know, it's like like I mean, you know. I mean, I'm gonna go out and try to get into the US Open, right, I mean if my score is better than you, and it it's golf can be so intimidating, but at the end of the day, it is so silly that it is that simple, right Marty. It's like, if I shoot sixty seven and you shoot sixty at eight, I beat you.
Speaker 2: It doesn't matter who you are.
Speaker 1: Now you're better than me, So you're gonna shoot better than me almost every time. But I put in the time and the work, and I find a plan, and I find the right equipment and stuff that fits me, and I literally invest in what I want to become. There might be an opportunity there for me to become that one day.
Speaker 4: Yep. I love Nico fall in love with the process. Man.
Speaker 3: I just it reminds me of you know, Victor. You know, is that his ups and downs and highs and lows. But you can see how much he just loves the process, you know, and so.
Speaker 1: Loves the heavy metal too. Nico was saying, try to get that hard going. I know, you gotta get this the beats going in the headphone, dude.
Speaker 5: So a funny thing for me is I figured out very quickly I actually like metals, so it had a reverse effect. And then I started listening to jazz, which just was the worst for me. Chams my art, right, I get all cranky, start hitting chunk wedges and thin in three woods. I'm a mess out there with jazz.
Speaker 2: Everybody's calming down at jazz, and you're just like you're at your end. You're like, I have done, Nico.
Speaker 1: Let people know where they can check out, you know, what you guys are doing, How they can get involved plans, they can look at what's kind of the process for somebody lifting into the podcast.
Speaker 5: So easiest way to find us is social at golf Underscore, Underscore Blueprint. I am responding to all the messages. For better or worse, you're gonna get me. If you send us an email, you're gonna get the professor keV golf blueprint dot com. And please reach out to us. I always say to people. I live in Jupiter, I travel a lot. If you see me on the range, come up and talk to me, Come say hi. And if you see someone who's who's better than you at the range, they're probably stoked to talk to you as well. So I always trying to tell that people like please reach out to me. However, I can help you whatever whatever we can do to to make golf more fun, because at the end of the day, like like we talked about, if you're having more fun, you'll practice more. If you practice more, you're probably gonna play a little better.
Speaker 1: I think the I think the point on asking people questions is, you know, it's an intimidating thing even as an adult.
Speaker 2: The kind of going back to the gym analogy.
Speaker 1: You know, you can go up to the biggest most jack guy in the planet. If he's at the gym, and if you're asking that guy what they're doing, I've done it plenty of times in my life. They will give you an honest answer. They're not gonna look at you like you're an idiot. They're they're actually to help you because you're interested in what they're doing, because you obviously are seeing whatever gains they're getting out of that. And the same thing can be said at the golf course. You know, you go up to somebody that's working on something that are hitting the ball great or you know, is really good, like I mean, Marty. There are these stories of VJ seeing helping out these young players that are up and coming trying to make it on the tour, and the stories are excellent, but it's also part of what golf. What makes golf so great is it does feel like people are willing to help out. I mean, remember Steve Stricker giving tips to Tiger about the putting. You think about Rory this year telling Scottie to go to the mallet, Like even the best in the world will help out the other best in the world. It might don't work out great for everybody else that they start winning everything, but it seems like people are are open and willing to talk, so I love that Nico, and I love what you guys are doing.
Speaker 2: It's super cool.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for your time on the POT. I hope people check out golf. We're going to help people get something out of this, so thank you so much.
Speaker 5: Appreciate you guys, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: This is the Ping Driven Grounds podcast.
Speaker 3: H