Speaker 1: Hi, Sabrina.
Speaker 2: I will.
Speaker 1: Thanks that that was a lie.
Speaker 3: Shikes.
Speaker 4: You're doing great, honey, put your shoes on.
Speaker 1: Were Grandma's great. Thank you, Sabrina. Now I am I'm ill, I.
Speaker 4: Know, and my kids are too. You are like right in sync with them. I feel like it's been months of right off of getting.
Speaker 5: Sick and they're just getting the same thing. It just keeps coming back around, right.
Speaker 4: That's like what I have sinus like off and mucus and just.
Speaker 1: So sad it is.
Speaker 5: We're like walking Petrie dishes. It's just the worst thing ever.
Speaker 6: Oh man, well.
Speaker 5: You don't you know I have a wife, so you don't have to come and take care of me like you come and take care of your kids.
Speaker 1: It's nice.
Speaker 5: And Susan is amazing. When I'm sick, She's like, get better and then she just throws things at me. I'm kidding. She's the best ever. She's just the right amount of taking care of me and get out of bed.
Speaker 4: Focus Pocus of a chicken noodle soup that I swear just make even when you feel like garb magical so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Really, there's also there's another one like that too. It's uh they call it something penicillin. I forget what it is, but it's like super penicillin really good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh I just call it that because it's like, no matter how crappy you're feeling from being sick, this soup just gives you the goodness the it's the thick granny noodles and veggies and oh it's just so young.
Speaker 5: I thought it was the same thing with vodka, but it doesn't work that way.
Speaker 1: I just keep drinking it and I keep getting sick. It's so weird.
Speaker 4: Well it's because you got to switch to tequila.
Speaker 5: Well everyone knows that, so I apologize to everybody out there who has to listen to my nasal nasal ness. But that being said, welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends your pjs.
Speaker 1: And that awesome chicken soup that's freea makes and.
Speaker 5: Go back to a time when all the houses are smart, the waves tsunamis, and I could breathe through both nostrils.
Speaker 1: I'm Wilford Brian abracadabra. Yes that's right.
Speaker 5: Watch as I pull this brand new episode out of my hat, because we are taking on two thousand and five's magical drama. Now you see it on today's show, very excited. I was gonna say, now you see it, but there's no exclamation points, so it's just now you see it, Now you see it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's question markets now.
Speaker 4: You see it?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 1: Now you see it? Do we?
Speaker 5: The movie first debut on the Disney Channel on January fourteenth, two thousand and five, right in the heyday, and was filmed in get Ready, a new spot for US, New Orleans, Yes, Louisiana, that's right. We left the comfort of Utah and Canada and found a new home base. But things didn't quite go so smoothly, as the cast and crew were forced to evacuate right before they started you thanks to Hurricane Ivan. And you know I should tell you right now if you want to hear more about that story, you're gonna have to go check out our Park Copper episode because we got to interview the star of this movie, Johnny paccarr, and he tells all about it. So I won't get too much more into that. You're gonna have to go check it out over there because it's a really.
Speaker 6: Cool story, pretty wild little journey for.
Speaker 1: This little tidbit.
Speaker 5: Now, We are always quick to point out stunt doubles when they appear in these movies, but it is worth noting that in this movie the cast actually did all of their own magic tricks, except for those that obviously use special effects, like the floating card trick, which is not possible thanks to that little thing called gravity.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, Isaac Newton. Whatever.
Speaker 5: Even though this movie didn't quite leave a long lasting impression in the world it becomes, at the time, a sequel was rumored to be in pre production. It was going to be called and Now You Don't, which is a very clever title, but allegedly it came down to Ali Mashaka deciding between that and cow bells, and we know which one she chose because we already did cow bells mmm here on Magical rewind that was my cow noise, Thank you very much, which I can do because both my nostrils are blocked.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 5: Musically, it is worth noting here in the movie they did get Ali and her sister aj.
Speaker 1: Of course, the Disney famous singers.
Speaker 5: To cover the song do You Believe In Magic, which we hear not only in the soundtrack but in the film itself.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's get this out of the way. Sabrina. Do you like magic?
Speaker 6: I do.
Speaker 4: I'm a little of an overthinker, so it is hard for me to go to a magic show and not try.
Speaker 1: To question everything, question watch.
Speaker 4: Every like, oh you know, oh that couldn't have been that, you know, the magician the magician again, that's a double up there, you know whatever, and oh.
Speaker 1: God, you're a magician's best friend then, aren't you. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I have a hard time doing it. But I do really like them, like when it's a really great show that's produced really well. I do like going to magic shows.
Speaker 1: Have you been to the Magic Castle?
Speaker 4: I was just gonna say the Magic Castle, however, was not one of my favorites. It actually was.
Speaker 6: It was Keeley's twenty first birthday.
Speaker 1: We went, okay, was it or was it not?
Speaker 6: Was it not?
Speaker 4: It was place was really cool, like being there was amazing. Some the show itself was like, no.
Speaker 1: Really, what happened? What kind of magic was it?
Speaker 4: I don't even feel like there really was much of a magic situation. It was just like it was I don't know, I mean, it was just not I was expecting this like just incredible show and it just kind of regardless, the night was amazing.
Speaker 6: Being there felt sure.
Speaker 4: It was very cool, really kind of like nostalgic in the sense of like just knowing like the history of this place. But the actual magic show was just like on a really small little stage.
Speaker 1: Or did you do that? Was it close up? Did you do the close up magic room? Were you all very close to the person.
Speaker 4: Who was intimate? I feel like it was just our group that was in there, So it wasn't really that great. I thought it was going to be a lot better, but being there it Besides that, just being there was just really cool because you have to have like some someone in the group has to be like a member of something.
Speaker 5: Yeah, do you remember or you have to know one of the magicians or something like that. We're still the Podmeats World crew is gonna is still trying.
Speaker 4: To go, so we're trying to you guys, gotta do that great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a ton of cool.
Speaker 4: The bar area is really really awesome. The thing I remember is because it was Keiley and she was the youngest of us, you know, that was her twenty first birthday, and I remember She's like, I want to buy like something really cool at the bar and I'm like, oh, let's get some whiskey.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, what, You're not a fan of whiskey. I was like.
Speaker 4: Twenty three years old. No, I like just took a sip and was like.
Speaker 6: Wow, oh god, no, what did we do that was awful?
Speaker 4: Can we get ordered like a.
Speaker 6: Cosmopolitan sour please?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I probably ordered something stupid like that. I mean really, but it was just funny because you know, twenty first and it's like the baby of the group is twenty one.
Speaker 6: Now, like, let's get a real, real drink.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, we're very different. Just put whiskey in glass, Bourbon in a glass, or Vodkan and glass. I'm good.
Speaker 1: If anything else.
Speaker 4: Gets away, oh now, like Jordan has, I have a tiny bit of a taste for it. But yeah, back then, no, I'm drinking like Cosmopolitans and like Lee Gi Martini.
Speaker 5: All too sweet. People are like, you want it on the rocks. I'm like, nope, that just gets in the way.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: This movie, however, does follow a tradition of movies about magic in Hollywood summer. Good, some are bad.
Speaker 5: We've Got The Prestige, The Escape Artist, The Incredible Bert Wonderstone, The Illusionist, and a movie that is slowly becoming a franchise and has almost the same exact name as this movie, Now You See Me, but this one stars Jesse Eisenberg, Mark Ruffalo, Common Woody Harrelson. And a third installment of this movie is actually already in the works, and we just heard that apparently it's gonna be called now You See Me, Now You Don't, which was originally going to be the title of the this.
Speaker 1: People Now You Don't.
Speaker 5: Yes, so very crazy and as usual, this movie is available to stream right now on Disney.
Speaker 1: Plus No tricks involved.
Speaker 5: Swear you can watch it now before we get into it, or listen after we break it down. The good news here is we're never going to know. So when you see us out in the street and ask, hey, did you watch now? You see it before or after you listen to the podcast, you can say whatever you like.
Speaker 1: That's on you. We're not gonna know if you're lying. That's the best part about it.
Speaker 6: I would never do.
Speaker 5: I might anytime I meet you, I'm gonna be like, hey, did you watch before or after?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 5: We ask all the time, did you know anything about this movie before we started our lovely podcast?
Speaker 4: I didn't, but I had been around two thousand and five, is when I actually met Ali, So I don't even remember if she had had filmed this at that point.
Speaker 6: So it was this was.
Speaker 5: Kind of like right when she was going to break because I think, and we'll get into this, I believe this was her first Yeah, I think.
Speaker 4: So too, so that I you know, I was on the earlier side of her career as she was a rising star along along with her sister, And this was a movie that I don't even know. I'd have to really go back and look at the actual dates of like if she had even filmed this at this point. She's just such a cutie p tuity, I mean perfect for the channel.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh yeah, perfect, Yes, absolutely doesn't you. I loved this movie. I used to watch this movie all the.
Speaker 1: Time growing up.
Speaker 6: No, oh, I'm sure you did.
Speaker 1: Never heard of this movie at all?
Speaker 4: You do you like magic? Were you excited when you figured it out?
Speaker 1: I like actual magic.
Speaker 5: I don't mean meaning I like like magic castle kind of magic. The guys in Vegas that are like I lived in a box for three weeks and didn't eat. That's not magic to me. That's just you living in a box for three weeks not eating. Okay, So it's like the people that do that where it's like I'm gonna catch a bullet.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But if you're hey, make a card levitate or wow, it is the Seven of Diamonds, I'm in for that all day.
Speaker 1: But the but the.
Speaker 5: Kind of crappy magicians, I mean, they're more experimental magicians, I guess where it's kind of they're doing things where it's like I'm gonna be buried in ice for three weeks, Like Okay, that doesn't seem like magic to me. That just seems like you're doing something. And by the way, that one guy, Chris Angel all the magic.
Speaker 1: In the world, he can't magic himself up a pair of sleeves. Very strange.
Speaker 5: Who would you say right now is the most famous magician in the world.
Speaker 4: The first ones that come to mind are the Vegas like, yeahel not Well, I've seen his show. His show was was pretty good. David Copperfield, Yes for me, just knowing like most people know of his show.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, he made like a statue of liberty disappear and do.
Speaker 6: All that kind of stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and his show in Vegas has been there for years. It has been there for so long, so you most likely if you are a want to go to a magic show, you most likely have caught his show in Vegas.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I agree. Well, I would also say, oh, I mean it depends. Most famous magician of all time would have to be Harry Houdini. I would think, right, yeah, yeah, But nowadays I think that it is the Chris Angels and the David Blaine.
Speaker 1: Uh you know there's there's guys like that. So those are those.
Speaker 6: Well, Chriss Angel had a TV show for a minute.
Speaker 1: So Dave I think David Blaine has one now and then those guys.
Speaker 4: Kind of bringing it to main Street that you're not having to go to an actual show you can.
Speaker 6: Actually it's cool.
Speaker 4: Watch is making it a little bit more Major's cool. Yeah, no, I agree, it's but yeah, some of them are just like okay, especially when it's on camera, come on, so hard not to not go.
Speaker 6: That was a quick edit, like, you know, it's weird.
Speaker 5: But anyway, let's figure out our magic here because it's time to visit the Magic Mansion.
Speaker 1: For the synopsis.
Speaker 5: Danny Sinclair is one of three finalists in a TV contest to find the best Young Magician. Producer Alison Miller is determined he will win and will stop at nothing to make that happen.
Speaker 1: Now, is this the d COM's first foray into reality tv? I think it is? Is have we seen anything other?
Speaker 5: Because it's a great idea for a reality show. Let's be honest, find the best kids Magician.
Speaker 1: That's a great.
Speaker 6: Reality TV show, like so much fun.
Speaker 5: But I don't know if I think this is the first time they ever actually, because two thousand and five, the early two thousands is when reality TV really started with like the Real World and all that kind of stuff. Is really what what did it?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 5: Even Stevens movie, that's right, the Even Stevens movie talked about their reality.
Speaker 4: Show family they were yep, yeah, and True Confessions wasn't a reality show, but it was her filming her life, right to add edit her own reality.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, there's that too. Yeah, so they're they're they're breaking into it.
Speaker 5: But yeah, yeah, this movie was directed by a very familiar name for us, probably not as familiar as Paul Hohen by this time. Who's Everybody's favorite fan, Everybody's family member at this point.
Speaker 1: But Dwayne Dunham on the Decom Front.
Speaker 5: He directed Tiger Cruz, Right on Track, Ready to Run, and some podcast favorites Double Teamed Kila and Thirteenth Year and Halloween Town. But his biggest industry success came as an editor, where he won an Emmy for Twin Peaks and worked on movies like Bill and Ted's excellent adventure Blue Velvet and Star Wars Return of the Jedi Yikes. The movie stars the afore mentioned Ali Mashaka, one of the sister pop music and acting duo Ali and aj As Allison, and this was her first movie ever.
Speaker 1: She was already a channel favorite on TV show Phil in the.
Speaker 5: Future, where she played Keeley Teslo dcom Whyse. She shared the screen with her sister in cow Bells, which you've already talked about, But you may know her for movies like band Slam, which is the one I mentioned was the better version of Lemonade Mouth, easy A or the TV show Eye Zombie. By the way, I just rewatched Band Slam, not that long ago. I got to rewatch Lemonade Mouth because maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Lemonade Mouth is a better version of that.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Ban Slam was really good.
Speaker 4: Love to See You Eat your words, that would be amazing.
Speaker 1: Band Slam was really really good, but Lemonade Mouth not bad. We'll have to figure it out.
Speaker 5: But again they band Slam shows them practicing and becoming a band, which which you earn huge points for me when you're actually show them how they're learning as opposed to just starting to tap on a thing.
Speaker 1: And then now we're a band. Where will we put Ali and AJ in the Disney Channel Hall of Fame?
Speaker 5: They definitely be members. Are they are they? Are we giving them lady? Are they Lady Alian Aj?
Speaker 1: At this point? Are we there? I don't know if we're there yet, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, they definitely would be h what would they be like Elisa Duchess.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe they're Duchess Okay there the Duchess Alien because they.
Speaker 4: I would say, they definitely had a huge presence, but they they don't. They didn't come from like, you know, neither one of these two d coms are like oh the you.
Speaker 1: Know right, this was not high school musical or on that highest level.
Speaker 4: But they definitely are favorites of fans out there we know as we know so, but I mean they're they were in at the time of this area, and I feel like the the theme song that I Know We'll get to was a part of these these albums that Disney used to put out called disney Mania, and it was songs from movies of the Disney World that that they had fresh artists putting on. And Ali and Aj were on almost every single one of these Disney Mania, so they were definitely a part of it. They just didn't have a huge show or movie to go along with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 6: That was like a blown up one. Okay, huge presence for sure.
Speaker 5: They're they're being knighted. Adjacent is what we would have to say. Not quite there, but they're close.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then we've got Johnny Bakarr as Danny Sinclair.
Speaker 5: Johnny's been seen in dozens of TV shows like American Dreams, Crossing Jordan, and Grey's Anatomy, and started the ABC Family gymnastics show Make It or Break It. And we've got a winner this week in the Dabney Reynolds chair oh Man do We actor Frank Langella is Max. Langella played Richard Nixon the movie Frost Nixon. If you haven't seen it, go see it. It is phenomenal. A role he was Oscar nominated for, and in addition to that, he won four Tonys. He also appeared to movies like Diary of a Mad Housewife, Dave another great movie, and The Trial of the Chicago Seven. And of all the magic tricks in this movie, the one that impressed me the most.
Speaker 1: Wait for it, people, The d com is eighty nine minutes. Eighty nine minutes.
Speaker 5: Sure it's not the target, we know that, but it's real close and on the right side of history. So we will accept eating nine and give them a minute if they need to, not.
Speaker 6: Give us a ninety one thought.
Speaker 1: Dare don't you dare?
Speaker 5: We know it's up and the writer is Bill Fritz, a new name to us. This is the only movie he ever wrote, but is a producer on a totally different type of content now, with credits on The Real Housewives of Orange County, Beverly Hills, and Miami. He is in the Bravo Family now, which is a far cry from the decom world. And I'm waiting to see Sabrina on the new Real Housewives of Orange County.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, okay, guys. Magician never reveals their secrets, but that doesn't stop.
Speaker 5: Us from jumping in to now you see it. So we open where we open a lot of times. We open with photos, presumably from the movie we're about to watch. Our narrator, Allison tells us nothing has been the same since the final competition.
Speaker 1: She's also in her bedroom. I'd like to point out, which is where we start. A lot of these movies, people.
Speaker 5: Think Danny ran away and is in hiding and something he never actually existed. But she knows he's She was there and it was terrifying, even if she hasn't figured out how it all went down. But she knows Dennis and Claire is real and she's ready to tell us the story. We jump right into an audience filled TV studio. Allison tells us that she was hired as a segment producer to a new reality TV show. A senior producer, mis McAllister explains to the group of aspiring producers that they're about to be part of television history because this show, World's Greatest Magician is produced entirely by kids. As people who have worked in TV, I think we can both agree this is a bad idea. Hey, I love the idea of training kids to be producers, but when they're running the show.
Speaker 1: Maybe not the best thing ever.
Speaker 5: This is a show to find the best kid magician and it will begin with three finalists, and whichever producer can find those three, those.
Speaker 1: Producers get to stay on the show.
Speaker 5: Alison eagerly jumps up from the audience, a little too excited, causing some giggles.
Speaker 1: Miss McAllister moves on asking what's the most.
Speaker 5: Important rule in TV, and a very prepared Allison answers correctly, it's to always keep your camera rolling.
Speaker 1: Miss McAll Uster then introduces his group to the show's.
Speaker 5: Host, the Amazing Mystic Max out Walks, an older man in a suit, who explains that one hundred magicians between the ages of ten and sixteen became eligible for the show by figuring out hidden messages in an ad that ran everywhere. Only one producer found the message, though, and big surprise, it's Alison. She thinks the puzzle was obvious, and the room just thinks she's an overachieving know it all due bo and frankly, at this point, they're right, that's all we know about her character, and she kind of is a bit of a no at all pushy lady.
Speaker 1: But it works for her. Character.
Speaker 5: We are now back in the studio. Ms McAllister has divided the producers into field teams. Allison has cameraman Cedric and a mentor named Paul. They're immediately sent off to their region to find their contestants and try to lock in a finalist. Then we do something which I love, which is my favorite thing. It's just kind of a montage, you know. I'm a big fan of a montage where they're finding these magicians all over the country. One hopeful can't get out of his straight jacket, while another kid tries to make his pet dog disappear, but he can't get anything right. Then a girl unsuccessfully attempts at card trick, and another can't get her rings to unlink.
Speaker 1: It was a wildly bad day.
Speaker 5: Alison says her contestants were impressively pathetic and knows if she doesn't find someone cool enough to be in the top three, her career would be over before it even started.
Speaker 1: I have a question for you, how old do you think she was supposed to be here?
Speaker 4: Okay, that question popped up almost immediately first, when I wasn't really like necessarily, I guess realizing that it was kids being producers. And when she's saying I got a producing job, I'm like, wait, how old is she expected to be right now? Because she doesn't look old, but she definitely isn't in some of the decoms that we're expecting to or we're expected to believe that they're thirteen fourteen. I'm thinking she's like sixteen seventeen.
Speaker 5: But she's supposed to be she's not supposed to be an adult, right, No, okay, so she's not like a twenty one or twenty two year old producer.
Speaker 4: No, but when they're in the house, then they're like and they's they're staying there, like they have dorms and stuff like. That's when I'm like, wait, I'm this is she kind of more of an adult in it? But no, there's no way she She didn't look at all over the age of sixteen or so.
Speaker 5: Okay, and they don't nobody. They show parents, but none of the parents are there.
Speaker 1: It was strange. It's like, are there adults going on?
Speaker 4: You can tell the parents weren't there until the very right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so okay, that was I thought that was strange too.
Speaker 4: But like then you do have kind of boarding schools and you do have kind of sleep away camps.
Speaker 5: But for a reality show, I mean the girl the girl magician has got to be like twelve or thirteen.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, unsupervised is.
Speaker 1: A little much. Yeah uh.
Speaker 5: They end up pulling up to their last hope's house and their final contestant is Creepily This is funny is creepily looking at them from his window. Paul locks the car and they're welcomed by the contestants parents, mister Missus Sinclair, who explained Danny has been very anxious to meet them. Once inside the house, Alison and the team make their way to his room, where Danny is blowing up a massive balloon, but when the producer startle him, the balloon quickly deflates and darts throughout the room, knocking stuff over all over the place. Danny then introduces himself and starts his audition. He's back to blowing up the big balloon, but he keeps popping. He reveals a dove is supposed to fly out, but his attempts keep failing and the balloon keeps popping and popping and popping.
Speaker 1: Danny is very frustrated.
Speaker 5: This means an awful lot to him, and I thought he got kind of irrationally angry, but I get why, but.
Speaker 1: It was kind of like I'm doing this. It was like, oh, yeah, it's okay.
Speaker 4: The whole movie. He got very like caressive, a little like, yeah, okay, let's take a good sucker breath.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Abra could calm down. That's what I would to say to this guy. But he yes.
Speaker 5: He reveals that the a dove is supposed to fly out his attempts keep popping. Danny is very frustrated. Alison understands this means a lot to her too. He keeps trying again and again, and the balloon will not stop popping. The floor is covered in deflated balloons. There's like twenty balloons. The producers eventually leave Danny hanging his head in shame.
Speaker 1: We're at the car.
Speaker 5: Allison realizes she's going to be kicked off the show. She didn't even find a finalist. But just then, Mentor Paul unlocks the trunk and a dozen white doves.
Speaker 1: Fly out of the car. Whoa Cedric got the whole.
Speaker 5: Thing on tape and Alison thinks she's found her magician.
Speaker 1: That's so cool? Who is again?
Speaker 5: As they pan up looking at them from his window with a fearful scowl.
Speaker 1: He could just be a serial killer. At this point, we're not entirely sure.
Speaker 5: Who's just leaves broken balloons at every murder side.
Speaker 1: He's just called balloon man or something. Yes, very creepy.
Speaker 5: Alison goes back and shows the tape to Mystic Max, who is instantly impressed. But another producer, a hater named Hunter, who you could just tell as the guy we're supposed to hate, instantly he smells something fishy. He thinks Alison and Danny worked all of this out ahead of time. He thinks it's a whole scam, and Miss Pacallister reminds everyone that colluding with a contestant is forbidden. Paul stands up for his team. He says he thinks the kid's a real deal, and just like that, Allison found the show's last contestant. Both she and Danny are in on the raid of the show, unexplainably traveling in a trolley, which I thought was weird, but then I also realized the timing, and I think they're going a little Harry Potter train, like the Train and Hogwarts. I think it's supposed to kind of be symbolic of that because they're like on a train to their magic castle.
Speaker 4: I didn't I didn't understand it at all. I also, at this point now trying to figure out, Okay, I don't think they're in Utah, and I do not think they're I'm trying to figure out where the hell they are. Don't recognize anything.
Speaker 6: This is math that said, I've seen ever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and there are so many trains throughout that.
Speaker 6: I mean, that's one of my best.
Speaker 4: Like we are on trolley number nineteen here.
Speaker 1: Will I know. I think this is a Harry Potter thing.
Speaker 5: I think this is like taking the kids on the train to the magic castle.
Speaker 1: Is what I think is I think is Harry Potters.
Speaker 6: That's okay.
Speaker 5: Alison is here on the train sharing her thoughts with Danny. She thinks the quote I'm a disaster who can't do magic bit and then to shock everyone with the doves is the perfect approach on the show to take. She also has costume and gimbick ideas, but Danny seems completely unenthused. Just then, another finalist, Brandon, approaches with a card trick. He has Alison pick a card, then it magically jumps out of his deck. It's a very good trick. But immediately Danny jumps in. He makes Brandon pick a card this time, and then flings the entire deck at the trolley window. As the cards trickled out of the floor, a jack of diamonds remains stuck to the window, but is weirdly behind the glass, like on the outside of the car.
Speaker 1: Everyone is then shocked, that's a real magic trick.
Speaker 5: Oh, no, I know, I've seen that's a what's his name trick? Does David Blaine does that a lot?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: What do you mean that's a real magic trick.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you.
Speaker 2: Danielle, my wife, was sitting next to David Blaine on a plane. She didn't know who he was, and I'll do the abbreviated version, but he basically then said, do you want to see a trick? Then he pretended he didn't know what he was doing and fumbled the cards and threw it towards her window, which was closed. Then he said, oh, maybe just open it, and then he opened it and the card was behind the airplane window.
Speaker 1: So like on the outside of the plane.
Speaker 3: Well, it could be in between the panes.
Speaker 2: We don't know that answer, but we know that it wasn't on the pane facing her, like she could not touch the card and then he just said nice to meet you or whatever, and then they just left and that's it.
Speaker 3: That's the whole story. And she was like he's a witch.
Speaker 2: And just like kept walking and didn't know he was David Blaine, which is even funnier. It was just like that guy just he truly is a goblin or whatever.
Speaker 1: Oh man, No, I've seen that trick before. I've seen him do that trick before, so I know it was a trick.
Speaker 4: He cannot wait to have her on the next episode because I'm gonna have to ask her about that. That which that.
Speaker 1: Would scare that she was scared okay with it.
Speaker 4: I would not like, don't you come starting doing magic just out of nowhere to me, No, huh, that's not fair. Let me know what you are, what's your deal. I will participate and be excited because I you know, my face would just be like shocking on.
Speaker 6: I'd be very exciting, but that would scare me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that doesn't remember if she got up for the bathroom, like she at that point had already kind of like erased what happened on the plane so like she doesn't know if he was alone there for a while, Like she doesn't know anything. And so we like she carried that around for years being like Okay, well I sat next to a wizard or whatever, and then a magician, a magician semi recently was like, okay, it's a trick. And then we were like we never want to know how he did it, Like, no one wants to know.
Speaker 3: I don't want to know.
Speaker 1: I could just see.
Speaker 5: I could see like turning and looking at the window, seeing your car outside, then just going like.
Speaker 1: Hi, I'm going to need to move seats immediately.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I would like to check all of my luggage at this point, because they were.
Speaker 1: Clearly already they were planing at this point. Oh geeesh oh man, okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah landed.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and he probably just like kept walking right like yeah, they.
Speaker 3: Didn't even didn't even talk about it.
Speaker 5: Or if he just levitated off his seat and floated out of the plane, that.
Speaker 6: Would think me ow.
Speaker 4: I would hate all of good story, But I would have loved it if he was like, Hey, I'm this great magician.
Speaker 5: Well no, that's not how you do it. That's that's got to be the shock of being like, wow, I don't have a kit and now I do, and I'm cat guy. I mean, like you want to that's how you gotta do it. Oh, he's playing the part, playing the part anyway.
Speaker 4: Okay, Okay, I'm glad she made it out.
Speaker 1: Okay, she's fine. He's a magician.
Speaker 5: But again, okay, so again we are back and Danny is brooding, showing no emotion at all. Allison knows his attitude won't make good TV. Eventually, the Trolley or the Hogwarts train gets to its destination and all the magicians and their production teams arrived at a brick castle, the Magic Mansion. This is a real magic castle vibe with different older magicians doing.
Speaker 1: Tricks all around the main room.
Speaker 5: Max welcomes the three finalists, a girl named Zoe, our pal from the Trolley, Brandon, and our contestant Danny. Max encourages everyone to think of the mansion as their home. The group follows Max as he talks about the mansion's illustrious history and how it was founded by a magician and Demilo. He also tells him that while in competition, the magicians can use every prop, every book, and every illusion they find a thought that makes Danny roll his eyes.
Speaker 1: Lastly, Max tells everyone.
Speaker 5: To check their pockets for their room keys, which they all find except for Danny, whose key magically appears in Max's hand. It appears the host is already interested in our young Danny.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 5: Now on their way to the room, with the camera still rolling, Alison tells Danny they're going to be attached to the hip for the next week, twenty four hours a day. But Danny Oh, he ain't having it. He quickly enters his room. He has stuff to do. Allison has, of course infuriated. Her job is to follow his every move. She encourages him to be wildly charismatic, extremely competitive, and have a heartbreaking obstacle to overcome. And she says she's found all this from watching reality TV, and all those things are absolutely true.
Speaker 1: Yep. You it's you.
Speaker 5: Do you find those things where it's like and this is this. We found this little girl on the street. She was born just a leg but she can sing AND's and it's like, Okay, it's.
Speaker 6: Always about the journey. It's not, of.
Speaker 1: Course, it's finding the characters. Of course, he argues.
Speaker 5: His only obstacle right now is Allison and slams the door in her face. He eventually reopens the door and explains that there are things about him she will never understand, but he promises to try his hardest to win if she just chills out. Alison appears to agree, but she tells us that a deal like this isn't going to stop her. She needs to know why he's being so mysterious. She sees him as just another puzzle that she has to solve. The next day, Max reveals the magician's first challenge. A basketball appears in Max's hand, then a rope. The basketball appearing in his hand looked a little cheesy to me, like a lot of the magic stuff was like, it didn't didn't, it.
Speaker 4: Went in and out, it went out. Son was like, oh okay, another no, that's not very good.
Speaker 1: Then a rope appears.
Speaker 5: He also throws in a broom, a ten gallon aquarium, and a bed sheet, which ominously floats down under the broom. The magicians have exactly thirty minutes to make an illusion using just those items, so.
Speaker 1: They quickly get to work.
Speaker 5: Their respective production teams document every single move, and instead of panicking with his items, Danny just sits down and thinks, which of course is worrying Alison. She reminds him to be capped, and he responds by wanting to leave. He wouldn't have come if he knew he'd be stuck with her this entire time. Alison argues she can only try to help him. Whatever it is, they can work it out, but Danny insists she can't help. He just wants to cut the chit chat so he can focus on his trick. And then we're thrown right into the World's Greatest Kid Magician TV show. Max reintroduces the premise with some big David Copperfield desk graphics, and Zoe's up first. She walks out, dribbling the basketball and covers it with the sheet, making it disappear, then reappear, floating on her side, then hovering on top of the sheet. The group applause and Max gives her a seven out of ten, which I thought she did pretty darn good. Then it's Danny's turn. He tells Alison he has no idea what he's gonna do. He saunters up on a stage, places the basketball in broom and the rope into the fish tank, and then blocks the aquarium with the sheet. He says, everything will disappear in Brandon, heckelsoim there's no way he can do that. But when he does drop the sheet, the broom is now standing up in the aquarium, which is now surprisingly filled with white fluff, and the ball is orbiting the stick tethered around the rope. Max is again impressed and obviously this.
Speaker 1: Kid is a witch. Yeah. At this point we realize sums up.
Speaker 4: Oh Man, and irritating for poor Ali. Come on, seriously, Allison's got all these like visions for him and he won't take any shit, any bit of advice.
Speaker 1: A little pushy, she's a little bit pushy.
Speaker 4: She is pushy, but he has zero like desire to be better.
Speaker 6: He just is like, I don't know what I'm gonna do.
Speaker 1: I'm just because he doesn't what He's just trying to find out who he is. He doesn't want to be a good magician.
Speaker 5: He wants to find out if he has some kind of weird wizard disease or something.
Speaker 1: That's why he's there.
Speaker 5: A Hunter argues, of course, because Hunters a dick, that nothing actually disappeared, and that's what he promised, and what is all that white stuff? Anyway, we find out it's actually real snow, and Hunter and Brandon argue he was supposed to only use the five original objects and rules of rules. Max likes the trick, but technically agrees, so he gives Danny only a three out of ten. Next up is the real piece of crap, Brendan, who declares he needs an assistant. Max suggests Danny, and though he's annoyed by the idea, Brandon joins him on the stage.
Speaker 1: Brandon calls this trick quote the clean sweep.
Speaker 5: He makes Danny hold up the sheet like a curtain in front of him and announces and now for the most to may.
Speaker 1: And then he goes silent. What happened?
Speaker 5: Danny peeks over the sheet, then drops it. Brandon is gone, and Danny's a little startled. He looks to Max and they share a moment that's interrupted by a scream. It's Brandon holding the broom, but now he's tied to a spinning wheel, yelling for Hunter.
Speaker 1: He looks very spooked.
Speaker 5: Everyone applauds, and the trick gets a ten out of ten, but we get the feeling that this was not planned or in his control at all. Danny stares at Max once again, forcing the young magician to storm off the stage. Alison follows closely behind. She wants to know what's going on here. She thinks he's hiding something and she can't work with his secrets. He says he needs to sort all this out by himself, and he walks into the House of Mirrors. She continues to follow him. She wants to know how Brandon ended up on that wheel. He offers no help and completely disappears into the reflections. Later that night, at the mansion, Allison and Cedric are sneaking around trying to find a trapdoor to explain Brandon's trick, but then they hear something. It's Brandon the Hunter, also looking for a trapdoor. Alison busts them and says she knows Brandon had nothing to do with the trick and she's going to prove it. The next morning, Max welcomes everyone to their new challenge. Each contestant will get a wand bearing a famous magician's name. Zoe gets Alexander Herman, Brandon gets Harry Blackstone, and Danny gets Harry Houdini. They must now research their magician and perform the legend's most renowned trick, and this seemed like a lot to me. It's like, you're a kid, go do Harry Houdini's greatest trick ever. That seems like a like a big challenge.
Speaker 6: They're starting to lose me at this point, Will I.
Speaker 1: Just you're like, Ugh, it just.
Speaker 5: Was like, oh, how many times had you stopped the movie by this point?
Speaker 6: By this time, I'm on like five or six, Matt.
Speaker 1: Really you've already stopped the movie this many times?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Actually, the little bit of drama, a little bit of drama that happened where all of a sudden, he's now when he took over the you know, was supposed to be the person that was being a volunteer and then he kind of took over. Then I was kind of like ooh. But then it was like, now we're going to try to see him.
Speaker 6: Do a Houdini. No, no, no.
Speaker 4: I think we need to do something a little bit easier And I love that Ugh.
Speaker 5: Breand and Zoe immediately start practicing amongst other roaming magicians, but Alison can't find Danny. She explores the mansion, finding a library that looks like a century's old church where Danny is studying inside he's not looking up Whodini tricks at all, though he's focused on something else. He says, every book or website he's read about the Magic Mansion talks about secret rooms and hidden chambers. But what he's finding now is all so basic. And so Alison has an idea. They need to find all the books that have a specific symbol she notices on the cover. She thinks that's the key to figuring all this out, So the duo take to the shelves. Once these marked books have been retrieved, the duo starts stacking them strategically, eventually creating two serpents out of the engraved covers. Danny recognizes it from a map he found and figures out if they find the symbol in the mansion, then they find the secret room. And just like that, this new duo plus Cedric of course and his camera are.
Speaker 1: Off to find it.
Speaker 6: And I am in. I'm back in.
Speaker 1: Okay, now you're back in. Now it's national treasure. I am back in.
Speaker 4: Now we have totally veered away from Magic all together.
Speaker 1: I am back in the game. We got Sabrina back so true.
Speaker 4: I was like, ooh, okay, now I'm intrigued They're now deep in the dark lower levels of the mansion, frantically searching and finding hidden passages, dead ends, and flocks of bats, and just.
Speaker 1: When it's getting a little too scary, they.
Speaker 5: Find the symbol. It includes a Latin phrase that Alison translates, leading them to turn a stone for a secret door. We now know she speaks Latin, and it's never mentioned before or in any way, shape or form.
Speaker 1: She just knows Latin.
Speaker 5: The secret door leads to a clandestine room filled with candles in a large vault, and Danny immediately cracks the vault open. And when they say here, okay, first of all, nobody mentions that there was candles burning the whole time. Who was down there to like.
Speaker 6: That, maintaining them? Maybe they were, Maybe they were, Maybe they were Actually, yeah, I guess I don't know.
Speaker 4: That's the first scandals.
Speaker 5: The second thing is he goes to the vault door and turns it this way, turns it that way, turns it this way, and it opens, and she goes, how did you do that?
Speaker 1: And he goes with lots of practice, never mentioned that again. What is he a safe cracker?
Speaker 5: Was he prepared for this specific vault?
Speaker 4: But then did the thing gets turned again?
Speaker 1: I meant the big the big wheel, the big.
Speaker 4: Big wheel, not a big wheel.
Speaker 5: No, the big wheel when he's cracking it, when he's cracking the actual vault. Yes, And they never mentioned that again, So apparently he's also a vault.
Speaker 4: Someone goes all to all this trouble, am I right? That, Like you would think there would be some type of bodyguard somewhere, someone roaming the areas.
Speaker 5: Or some kind of a magical like you have to get through. This is where I thought. It's like, okay, maybe you have to get through a couple of magical things to get in, like do something like magic your way in, dude, as opposed to just you have to turn the handle. You know, it's you shouldn't be able to get into this magic vault as easily as getting into a porta potty on the street. Yeah, and that's what it seems kind of what's happening.
Speaker 1: So yeah, very strange.
Speaker 5: But the safe that they go into, which Danny opens by opening it is filled with safety deposit boxes and a table and chairs in the middle of the room.
Speaker 1: Now you have to admit this was awesome.
Speaker 4: Second side, that's part of why I was really in. I'm like this set that they're working at is rat It.
Speaker 1: Was yea, this was like National Treasure stuff.
Speaker 4: This is yes, Like it started to go like ooh, I love this. This is starting to get very interesting for me basically, and like kind of storyline.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Danny can't believe they finally found the magician Demilo's secret library. Cedric, who's been a real scaredy cat through this whole process, pushes the button again and a small acid trip graphic sends them right back to the general library where they started. Yep, actual magic. Nobody really mentions that. They just go, wow, what happened?
Speaker 1: You teleported?
Speaker 5: You want to maybe have a little bit of a conversation about that, But no, like, wow, that's crazy, Let's go back to the reality show.
Speaker 4: But they go back and forth with this, like they go into one area and then boom they're in like the cell. They don't have to go through this big elaborate thing anymore.
Speaker 5: Yeah, now they're just in time for the challenge. Zoe presents her Alexander Herman trick, pulling three rabbits out of a hat and scoring six out of ten. It's Brandon's turn for the Harry Blackstone trick where he makes a light bulb levitate and scores an impressive eight out of ten. And now it's Danny's turn to replicate Houdini's legendary feet of making an elephant disappear. He presents his elephant, which happens to be Brandon in the costume with another kid as the legs. The group laughs as the quote unquote elephant walks behind a curtain and causes a commotion, and when the sheet falls, Brandon is now dangerously riding a mechanical bull and his partner's flung across the stage. It's such a mind blowing and danger feeling trick. Everybody is visually taken aback. Now regrouped, Hunter's trying to convince miss McAllister that Danny should be kicked off the show. Danny won't reveal how he did the trick, and everyone thinks he's a scam artist. So Hunter, of course, doing what you do in a normal situation, floats the idea that the Wonderkin actually has magical powers. That's what he says. He's like, here's why you should be kicked off the show because I think he's a wizard and Everyone's like, huh, interesting, follow that up.
Speaker 1: Hunter.
Speaker 4: It's like, wait, what, It's not like he's an eleven year old saying this. Hunter, by the way, does look over the age of eighteen.
Speaker 1: Y three exactly.
Speaker 4: And you're like, you didn't even hesitate to say that, Hunter, Hunter, think about what.
Speaker 1: You just said. I think he's actually a wizard. Like, oh, good call, Okay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there are some things in life people just can't explain. Now painted into a corner. To save himself from being kicked off the show, Allison asked Danny to tell a group how did he manage the mcare anicle bull tricks so they can all just move on. But Danny's had enough. He admits he has no idea how he did it. These things just happen. And that's when Max walks in. He applauds the answer, thinks Danny is using the aw shucks thing as a gimmick. Max suggests as the president of the Worldwide Skeptic Society, which sounds like a really great thing, but I doubt they even meet much.
Speaker 1: Ah, I wouldn't do it. Get it.
Speaker 5: Thank you that he put together a group of experts to decide what's really going on. Here with with the offer on the table, Danny looks very concerned.
Speaker 1: Thank you, I'm glad you got that. I'm glad you got that.
Speaker 5: Later, all of the experts have arrived, but Alison can't find Danny anywhere. She eventually finds him once again in Demilo's secret vault library. He thinks, no matter what happens with the panel, it won't end well for him. Allison argues it's been great TV, but Danny admits he's just a freak. Three years ago, he was walking to school when he saw a skateboard in a store window that he wanted, and two seconds later it was under his feet. He's been trying to figure out what's been wrong with him ever since. It's been terrifying and the reason he doesn't have any friends. The experts will either recognize the gift and have him poked and prodded by the government, or he'll just be called a fraud.
Speaker 1: Alison says she knows the feeling of being an outcast.
Speaker 5: Okay, it seems like a stretch to be like, yes, you might be a magical magician.
Speaker 1: I know what you're going through, and Danny shakes his head. Yes. She agrees because she's also a weirdo.
Speaker 5: Alison suggests he just needs one person to believe in him, and that person could be her. She could help explain everything to the panel and they might finally have all the answers that he needs. Now, did you think she liked him? Was this starting to get flirty?
Speaker 1: I didn't. I didn't get were they going for like relationship?
Speaker 4: When it started to get blurry?
Speaker 2: Right? Me?
Speaker 4: First it felt like this was a working relationship. They both were irritated with each other, you know. Then it started to be like her messaging that she was sending to him was like being his friend and being you know that. But then it started to get like, wait, is there.
Speaker 6: Feelings behind this friendship?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I started to get kind of blurry, but it wasn't very obvious, so it was hard to figure out what are we working with?
Speaker 5: And just from her it seemed like it didn't seem like he was throwing it back.
Speaker 1: It was just from her.
Speaker 4: She could have paid him dust so fast in this movie because he was not nice to her.
Speaker 1: Wait, whatever, what did you just say? What is that? Hey?
Speaker 6: Dust?
Speaker 1: What does that mean? That's awesome?
Speaker 4: Like like kick Rocks, It's the same thing as like, you know.
Speaker 1: Pay him duty. I like, pay him no mind, like pay him mind.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's what it is.
Speaker 1: I love that using that every day.
Speaker 6: That's the coolest kind of an old one.
Speaker 4: And probably I think it probably aged me a little bit, but wow, you know it's cool never never even magical.
Speaker 6: Rewind, I get to be young.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, day you do. This is our job. I love that.
Speaker 5: And so with that, Daddy now sits in front of a panel of experts, to scientists and a self proclaimed psychic. They interrogate him and he answers honestly about a special powers, though they're obviously very skeptical, except for the psychic, she is very much on board. Max tells Danny to put up her shut up, and Danny, though reluctant, with.
Speaker 1: The help of the psychic, lets his powers come to him.
Speaker 5: He eventually levitates out of his seat, which impresses the room, but Max is seen enough. He touches Danny's shoulder and slowly brings him back down to earth. Max says the chair is a device invented by a Scandinavian magician. It's been locked away in the mansion storage until now. It reappears after Danny has been snooping around downstairs. Max announces that Danny is just a magician after all, but very clever one. Danny runs off of Allison, following closely behind, calling him a liar, But Danny stands by.
Speaker 1: What he said. He didn't lie.
Speaker 5: He thinks Max doesn't want him to expose his real powers, so he rigged the chair for some reason. Allison thinks he's full of it, but might also have a crush on him, we don't really know. She feels fooled and set up to make him the star of the show. He denies everything, and she calls off their friendship. Wow, we're now back to narrating, Allison says. The panel agrees that Danny was just a normal kid magician, but that meant he's still legally competing in the Grand Finale challenge and a shoe in to win. Allison wasn't gonna give up her job either. They're just going to keep it purely professional, which he doing the whole time anyway.
Speaker 1: But she was crossing it anyway. No more friendship.
Speaker 5: Should they just have been boyfriend and girlfriend or romantically linked or something.
Speaker 4: Oh, I always prefer give me a little bit of a rom com in there, and I'm.
Speaker 6: Definitely gonna jump on board away more.
Speaker 1: The magical rhyme comes great.
Speaker 4: Yes, well, especially thinking like if this is just a friendship and you're allowed, you know, like there's no more like deeper feelings there. It's weird to think that you would let this guy push you around, not that you should if there's feelings. I'm sounding crazy now, but I mean it's just weird that like she would I don't know, not like I said, not just like sign him off, like.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're a douche, and I don't I don't like how you talk to me.
Speaker 5: Like not kick dust in his face or whatever you said. Yes, I love it, I love it. We are now back at the mansion. Alison is angry again, but Cedric knows Danny is at least a very good magician. I mean, how did he get those doves in their truck? Allison says, wait, I can answer that. She pulls out some footage from that. She thinks it'll show him doing something that shows him rigging the car, but instead it just shows the doves appearing out of thin air and what could have just been a bad Disney special effect at the beginning of the movie actually proves that Danny created animals out of nothing.
Speaker 1: It's a miracle. It's pronounced miracle. But I wanted to see if you're all still with me.
Speaker 5: Alison runs to Danny's room, then the secret vault, but Danny isn't there. She roams the halls, eventually landing on some muffled chatter. She eavesdrops through a vent and it's Max and Danny talking about his powers. Max says he has the answers that Danny's been looking for. Alison records the conversation on her campquarterer as Max says he understands Danny's powers. He is a wizard himself, and he thinks Danny might be one too. Max created the show to bring out one more great sorcerer and it worked.
Speaker 1: Now this is where I was like, great idea for a.
Speaker 5: Decom So far, the execution to me hasn't been great.
Speaker 6: Not bunge. Max is just like captivating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, but you know what it is. I mean, this is it's Willy Wonka.
Speaker 5: It's Itah putting out five golden tickets to get kids into the chocolate factory, to see who's going to give the chocolate factory too, So at this point it's like, I'm looking for other wizards.
Speaker 1: So I created a wizard competition. Great idea for d Common.
Speaker 5: Like again, it wasn't perfectly executed, but I was like, good idea. Yeah, So Max created the show to bring out one more great sorcerer and it worked. Danny doesn't get it. If he's so magical, how come he can't control his powers. Max tells him he's young and untrained, but all that's going to change. He'll help him harness his powers, just like his mentor, Antonio de Milo he did for him, so he can do it for Danny. With that, Max makes a small knight in armor walk on the table and ask Danny to do the same. He tries, but much like these special effects here, which weren't very special, he can't nail it.
Speaker 1: It didn't look good.
Speaker 5: Max coaches him and eventually he gets it right, leading to a more skilled fight between the two figurines. Danny's knight eventually loses and it flings a mace or flail, thank you very much across the room, almost hurting Max. It wasn't perfect, but Max assures him, hey, don't worry about it. This is what mentors were for, and he gives him a big magic emerald ring that couldn't have been bigger if it was a giant super Bowl ring that will harness his powers and make sure nothing unexpected happens again.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is some blank, blank ringg ring, giant giant giant ring.
Speaker 5: Danny is relieved as a stone glows on his finger, and Max said, Jesse, go get some well deserved rest. And once Danny has left, Alison keeps secretly filming as Max is joined by Paul, Allison's mentor. They agree Danny has a lot of potential to be even more powerful than either of them. They have to keep an eye on him. The ring will control him for now, especially since he won't be able to remove it himself, and that's when their evil plan is exposed. Max says, by this time tomorrow, Danny's powers will be all his, just like he did with Demilo. Oh no, a magical app Alison can't believe what she's just heard. She hurries to Danny's room to talk to him, but Paul intercepts her and sends her off to bed. The next day, Alison, followed by Cedric and his camera, finds Danny juggling in the front yard. She tries to worry him about Max, but again, Paul is nearby. And when I mean nearby, I mean six inches away from them in a real weird way and very suspicious. It was like he's just like there, like looking over the looking over the thing.
Speaker 4: He hadn't been I mean, how much have we seen Paul. Not too much since since they found Danny right at the very beginning of the movie.
Speaker 6: He wasn't like he was always there.
Speaker 5: It was he's not been here there, but certainly not to where He's like he's got to keep an eye on them.
Speaker 1: But man, he's he's real close.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: She of course wants to talk to Danny alone, but he's happy to be in the final and he's also happy to be making real friends for the first time ever.
Speaker 1: He feels like a normal kid.
Speaker 5: But Alison still finds a nearby private spot and tells him what she heard Max say. Danny doesn't believe her. That doesn't make any sense, but she says she has proof. She grabs her camcorder and runs to Miss McAllister's office. Why not just show him right there in the camp quarter, which is what cam quarters could do back in the day, but anyway.
Speaker 1: And just as she's about to start the tape in walks Max. He is certainly interested in this conversation.
Speaker 5: He grabs the camp quarterer, pulls out the tape and starts to rub it like a creep. He proceeds to put it in a tape player, but all the footage has disappeared. Alison can't believe this. She knows it was there. She begs Miss McAllister to help, but they chuck it up to her behavior on the stress of being a reality TV producer. Max suggests they send her home immediately for her own mental health. Allison tries to fight back, but Miss McAllister agrees. Alison tears up, and Max seems satisfied. Now she's packed up and leaving. When Danny catches up to Alison, she's clearly upset, but Danny reminds her she didn't have proof. He doesn't think Max is out to get him, and he's finally happy. She says it would be more important if someone accepted him for who he is, but his final trick is making his only ally disappear. And I thought it was Ali, not Ally, but whatever, And then she boards that really weird trolley.
Speaker 1: Now on her way.
Speaker 5: Home, she is still bothered by one thing. If Antonio Demilo had founded the Magic Mansion and was Max's mentor, then what happened to him? This is what she needs to solve. She jumps off the weird trolley and starts researching at a local library. She learns that De Milo was killed by his own magic prop when it fell on him and crushed his skull. And then she sees the picture of him in his coffin. By the way, his skull head looked totally fine in the picture. If he was crushed, look totally okay. I guess they magiced up a new skull, and he's wearing the same gigantic emerald ring. She knows if she doesn't get that ring off Danny's finger, he will also die during the big final performance. She has to get back to the mansion immediately. And over at the Mansion, they're getting ready to film the big finale. Even Danny's parents are there. Good to know that he has parents Again, we see a cabinet being wheeled onto the busy stage.
Speaker 1: It's a delivery for Danny Mims.
Speaker 5: McAllister tells Hunter to find the magicians and make sure they're ready. Meanwhile, Danny's confused. He's asking Max if the ring stifles his powers and how will he be able to pull off this trick. Maybe he's just take off the ring until the contest is over. Max tells him not to worry about it, just go out on stage and Max will do the rest. He wants Danny to trust him, but it seems Danny is becoming suspicious. It's time for the big show now, people, And finally we learn how Alison has made into the mansion.
Speaker 1: She was hiding in the cabinet, much like the way.
Speaker 5: Malfoy got some of the Death theaters into Hogwarts through the vanishing cabinets.
Speaker 1: Thank you if you know, you know, that's how she got in there.
Speaker 5: No one knows how she got in the cabinet, No clue, no need to explain. The movie's almost over and it's all about magic. She crawls out just as Max takes the stage. Tonight, the world's greatest kid Magician will be crowned, and Brandon is up first. Brandon is dressed like a member of Panic at the disco and does some rave moves holding lights.
Speaker 1: They're just lights.
Speaker 5: Brandon proceeds to pull a huge stick out of a paper bag and transitions into some cool card tricks, and then nearby Hunter catches Allison sneaking around and tries to take her to security, but she sprints away into the House of Mirrors, making it impossible to find her. We're now back on stage after Max introduces the second finalist, Zoe, who, by the way, is the only contestant where every single time he introduces her says she's from Philadelphia. He doesn't say where anybody else is from most of the time, but it's always Zoe from Philadelphia.
Speaker 4: I didn't catch that.
Speaker 1: It is very strange.
Speaker 5: Hunter lets him know that Alison is in the mansion. Backstage, Danny is leaving his dressing room when Alison finally catches up to him. She tells him about how Demilo died because of the ring. She tells him he is in real danger, but he doesn't want to take the ring off. It's finally made him feel normal. Ms McAllister yells out one minute till showtime. Alison begs him not to go out there. She cares about him and Max doesn't, but in the end he does take the stage as the final contestant, still wearing the ring, Max introduces the trick. Danny is going to lift a thousand pound lead weight over his head all by himself.
Speaker 1: Not a great final trick.
Speaker 5: There's nothing really magic about it, don't the guy. Couldn't you just have the guys who bring in the thing and put it down fake that it's a thousand pounds, right?
Speaker 1: How would anybody know? It's kind of a back like I could.
Speaker 5: Do that magic trick anyway. Yes, he's gonna lift it over his head all by himself. Danny looks very nervous. He reaches down and grabs the weight, but nothing, and the crowd, as they do for children all the time, booze.
Speaker 1: So he tries again.
Speaker 5: It's harsh, seriously, the crowd is now laughing and hackling him As he tries the second time, it doesn't work. With one last try, Danny finally lifts the weight and the audience erupts an applause. He gets it over his head and is very proud, but then he lets go and the weight just floats above him. Danny bows and the weight rises higher and higher, confusing Danny completely.
Speaker 1: Max appears in control.
Speaker 5: Eventually, Max points to the weight, and it comes crashing down on the stage, just missing Danny, who jumped out of the way. Danny tries to pull off the ring to no avail, and Max tells the audience that Danny deserves another chance with that. The cabinet Allison was hiding in his wheeled down too the stage, and his stagehand motions that Allison should get back into it. So devilish Max pulls a sword from the box and stabs into the cabinet, almost slicing Allison in half. The finalists and the crowd a getting a little uncomfortable with this, so was I. He stabs the cabinet again and Allison screams. Danny runs to open the door, but she's no longer in it. Max says it's time for Danny to focus on the trick, but Danny reopens the cabinet and Alison's there. She's back inside. The audience loves it, not sensing this whole thing is involving their impending deaths. Danny and Alison bow and she simultaneously removes the ring from his finger. Danny announces his final trick, which he will do with his mentor Max.
Speaker 1: It's becoming a chicken game between the two magicians.
Speaker 5: In turn, Max dangerously flings Danny up into the air, and even the audience knows something is up. Danny starts spinning around out of control, and Alison yells out for the ring. It's the final piece of the puzzle. So while rotating follow me here, people gets a little strange, Danny grabs the ring from his pocket and nose dives towards Max. So I guess Max wasn't holding him up anymore. His power broke through, throwing the ring on the host's finger at the last second, right before he crashes, causing an explosion. The audience, including Danny's parents, gasp, what the hell just happened. When the smoke clears, Danny appears and bows to a standing ovation. Alison joins them and they do a curtain call together and he kisses her hand. We're back in the present day with Alison as a narrator. She tells us that it is the most incredible experience anyone could have imagined. Paul must have taken the ring off Max, because every single show tape had mysteriously disappeared, but then someone made them magically reappear in her room, and once Danny realized that Max was still out there. He went into hiding to perfect his powers for when they meet again. He's getting stronger every day. She says she's not even allowed to know where Danny's hiding. But then in the background, we see a bullet popcorn floating in the air. Alison grabs it and Mitch she might know where he is, And just like that, we get another acid trip transition and Allison is cuddling with Danny on a park bench. And now they're they're dating, They're together, are they married? Who knows, but I do know. That is the end of our movie.
Speaker 1: It was a journey. It was a journey I was happy to be on. Can we do some real reviews, Sabrina, of course. I think this week I have the one star review. Mm hmmm uh. And it is by somebody name.
Speaker 5: I think it's Zorax e six three seven five or it's Zoraxy, I don't know.
Speaker 1: And here's the review. I'm sorry, but this movie is horrible.
Speaker 5: I'm a magician, so I was really excited about this movie, but it was so not entertaining. Just thinking about that last in quotes trick that wasn't a trick.
Speaker 1: At all.
Speaker 5: If a real magician tried that in a show, at best, he'd get a little applause, maybe even booed horrible. Wow, that is uh, that's a that's one from one magician to another. That was a pretty harsh review there, Sabrina, I know what do you got?
Speaker 4: I would think though, if you were somebody who was really into.
Speaker 1: Magic, this wouldn't be your favorite movie.
Speaker 4: It wouldn't be your favorite.
Speaker 1: This wouldn't be your favorite movie.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't have represented your micro world very well.
Speaker 1: I agree. I agree with that one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: Is itamed again?
Speaker 1: Yea again?
Speaker 4: This is our five star from named Good. Here to say Johnny Bakar is.
Speaker 5: Hot with one two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten eleven twelve teas.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's hot.
Speaker 6: He was cute in this movie.
Speaker 4: He was giving you a little a little bit of.
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 6: He was that.
Speaker 1: Mysterious Yeah hair, the magic's.
Speaker 4: Hair looked like a good charlotte.
Speaker 1: Ish demo magician a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I felt okaycause you know it was working for you. It worked great. I felt for this movie. He was such a cute and really great call. He was just cast very well for this?
Speaker 5: Did we did we find a teen heartthrop for you? Would he have been on your O for this?
Speaker 6: He was cast perfect?
Speaker 1: Okay, we're going I agree, but we're gonna find it.
Speaker 5: Oh, we're now coming to serena'savorite part of the program, as we always do, our feature game from UH producer Jensen.
Speaker 1: This one is called Tragic Magic.
Speaker 5: Much like Antonio Demilo in the movie, magicians sometimes die under mysterious conditions.
Speaker 1: We will get the name of a magician and a list of possible reasons for their death.
Speaker 6: Oh my gosh, yikes.
Speaker 1: We have to guess which is correct. Three out of five win.
Speaker 6: This made up? There's no way I just I'm guessing.
Speaker 5: Knowing producer Jensen, he loved deep diving the tragic deaths of magicians.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is one of my hobbies.
Speaker 1: That's what I figured, all right.
Speaker 5: So our first one is a magician named Chung Ling Sue. Did he a die after accidentally being cut in half during a trick gone wrong? Geez be accidentally drowned in a locked to aquarium during a trick gone wrong? See get shot and killed from a gun malfunctioning during a trick gone wrong?
Speaker 1: Or d die of lupus.
Speaker 4: Uh, I'm gonna go with B.
Speaker 1: You know it's funny.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna see I was gonna go with B two, but now I know it's gonna be wrong because you picked it.
Speaker 6: It's so fair.
Speaker 5: I'm oh, but I think it's gotta be right because it seems like the one that would happen.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna stick with B. I'm gonna go with B.
Speaker 2: With with terrible strategy, it's cr original strategy.
Speaker 5: Don't ever pick with Sabrina, What are you thinking?
Speaker 1: Okay? Number two?
Speaker 5: I'm a magician named Charles Rowan aka Car the Mysterious. Did he a die after being run over by a car during a trick gone wrong? B fall in a bed of spikes during a trick gone wrong? See catch the plague from a volunteer during a trick gone wrong? Or D die of meingitis. I'm picking first this time. I'm gonna say.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say B falling a bet of spikes during a trick gone wrong. I'm going with Oh, well, now I won't be right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but that is obviously what I thought.
Speaker 3: You're right about that part. It's a run over by a car.
Speaker 4: Run over I thought that was too obvious with his name is car the mysterious Yea, a car would be involved.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you name yourself and sometimes it becomes true.
Speaker 4: Yikes.
Speaker 1: So we got to get all three right to win. Our next magician Joseph Burris.
Speaker 5: Did he A get stabbed by a former assistant who was injured during a trick gone wrong? B get crushed by concrete during a trick gone wrong? Ce die from complications after eating thirty five rocks during a trick gone wrong?
Speaker 1: Or d die from polio? Go ahead, sabrina.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go with dying from polio.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: Wow, I'm gonna say. I'm gonna say, see he ate thirty five.
Speaker 2: Rocks, that's my pay for one I've ever made up me he died from concrete?
Speaker 4: It if I would have stuck with B.
Speaker 5: We love rocks, hey, because it was so weird that it was like, it's gone so specific.
Speaker 1: It is all right. I apologize.
Speaker 5: May this person rest in peace If I butcher this name, which I will. But our third magician is Janaka Basnake.
Speaker 3: That's what I have it as you Okay?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 5: Did Janaka Bessnake? Did he A die well? Buried alive by his family during a trick gone wrong. B bleed to death after being shot by an arrow during a trick gone wrong.
Speaker 1: See suffocate will bet this is the worst game, O me.
Speaker 3: I think it's kind of fun.
Speaker 5: Actually, se suffocate well being strangled by the world's strongest man during a trick gone wrong? Or d die from scarlet fever. I'm going first with this one. I'm gonna think because magicians do this a lot, I'm gonna say he a died while being buried alive.
Speaker 1: By his family during a trick gone wrong.
Speaker 4: Sabrina, Oh, bleed to death?
Speaker 1: Where's oh an arrow?
Speaker 2: It was a very family. They opened it back up and he was dead.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that's awful. Okay did they leave him in there?
Speaker 4: What the heck? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Who knows? Uh?
Speaker 5: Number five Washington Irving Bishop. Did he a die after falling off a stage during a trick gone wrong? B crashed his car into a warehouse while blind folded during a trick gone wrong? See get burned alive when pyro chemicals blow? Oh my jeez ah, blew up during a trick gone wrong? Or did he die from whooping cough?
Speaker 1: Oh? These are Jensen.
Speaker 4: See burned alive.
Speaker 6: I'm like the word sway to god.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I'm going to agree with you. I'm gonna say it's s.
Speaker 3: It is alive by his own pyro. You guys, have a great day.
Speaker 2: Okay, have a great day.
Speaker 1: Thanks producer Jensen. Yikes. Oh, can we pick this up a little bit?
Speaker 5: Can we do a little Sabrina Seas which is a lot happier than how these random people died?
Speaker 4: Yes, And you know, one of the things, I think it just has to be said because there's so many moments where he gave it but Max looked like a Sean Connery like Dube Let's do magic. Yes, And it was regardless. I mean, he is an incredible actor in his own but I ask every time he was on screen, he captivated me. I just he was I don't care what what ridiculous. Even with the next one, which is my The Night's Fighting, how awful that book. It was so bad, but it didn't matter because he just holds it and like anytime they shot to him, it was like fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're good, You're good.
Speaker 4: But it was I do have to say that part was so weird because you know, with it being the Disney Channel. You're not expecting it to be these great like you know, yeah, the effects.
Speaker 1: Are not.
Speaker 4: Effects, but I am now you have just pulled me into this. You need to have some kind of rules here, because now I'm needing like what how were they working the nights? Like you could sort of see over the camera a little bit that they were like flicking their fingers back and forth.
Speaker 5: It was like Danny's like fighting and it was Yeah, it just was.
Speaker 4: It was the visual effects didn't need to be better. They just needed to give the actors something better to do to control those nights. That was like just a little whatever. I skipped over snake Puzzle. I'm in, let's go.
Speaker 6: I'm ready to go.
Speaker 1: I love snake Puzzle. Get snake Puzzle.
Speaker 4: The Paul character bothered me a lot, and we mentioned it just a tiny bit. Was he the one there was? We never really talked about it while we went over through the movie, but there was a point where they do one of those like you know, creeper in the back of the theater.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm willing to step in here. I'm willing to step in here, so I tell exactly the scene you're talking about.
Speaker 3: I left it.
Speaker 2: I basically thought, I think that that's the rival Magician, but it shot so poorly that you can't see I know, I think it's the rival magician. I think it's it's a hunt. It's basically Hunter's magician. Oh, it's Brandon Brandon, but he.
Speaker 4: Was but that the person that was on screen looked like blonde. Like there was a point where when they showed on the previous mentor for Max and him being blonde, I was like, wait, is there a goat? Are we introducing ghosts?
Speaker 3: I know it shot so poorly. It's so funny.
Speaker 2: You remember that scene because it's I like thought about it and was like, do I even mark this? But I didn't mark it because it doesn't come back to play, by the way.
Speaker 4: That's what I mean, Like you Nell.
Speaker 3: When they're looking for the trap door.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeh yes, and towards the back of the theater, up high, there's someone who's like snooping on them and.
Speaker 3: I don't know why, but I I by the end of.
Speaker 4: It, it was like my questions were I thought, possibly, yeah, it was Hunter's Magician.
Speaker 2: Could have been Danny, But again, the shot is so poor you cannot see who it is you can't see.
Speaker 3: No, I don't know.
Speaker 4: It was it was younger and that wasn't as big of a character like the built he was to be back. But then it was like when I saw the picture of the previous mentor and he had like blonde hair, I'm like, wait, do we have a ghost Demila was coming back as I don't know whatever, and then I thought and then I ended up going, oh, it must have been Paul, because then Paul started remember just randomly towards the end, popping up like he just kind of whatever. And then Paul also had There was a moment too when Alison is going to see if he's in his room after the chamber he just saw her Max's plan saw Paul runs to the chamber to see where or it runs to his bedroom to wake him up. And then Paul comes up and this is after the shot before there's like multiple people walking around the hallway and he's like, hey, it's what are you doing up?
Speaker 6: And I'm like, there's people.
Speaker 4: Up like every everyone's around outside.
Speaker 6: So yeah, Paul.
Speaker 4: Kind of that whole part had me a little confused, and I didn't really love that the special delivery.
Speaker 6: With Hunter and her didn't. I didn't think it was her.
Speaker 4: I thought this was gonna be some kind of trap Max was putting into his that's that was like gonna be the demise of him.
Speaker 6: So when it ended up being her, I did think, oh, what look.
Speaker 1: That was good. I good twist, good twist.
Speaker 6: Yes, yep, there we go. And that was it.
Speaker 4: And then the last part was there was a shot that was what takes the movie to go into being that not the best Disney movies, and it was her watching the show in the back corner with her head in between the blue velvet curtains, like she's just sitting there like like no one can see my head with my blonde, curly hair, just just poking through. Watching that was like, couldn't she.
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 4: There was certain things with this movie that pulled you back. Very Disney didn't allow it to be what Disney usually does, which is a great movie that kids also like, you know, the whole family can can I agree?
Speaker 1: I agree?
Speaker 6: What was it?
Speaker 5: Thank you for Sabrina Cees. Now, of course we're gonna rad our film. Let's do one out of ten.
Speaker 1: It's worked for us in the past. I think it'll work for us in the future. But this time we're gonna do one is the worst and ten is the best. That's what we're gonna do.
Speaker 6: I think we're doing that every time.
Speaker 1: What No, that's ridiculous.
Speaker 5: Our options this week are one out of ten, Bad Kid TV Producers one out of ten, Trunk Doves, overachieving, noad all duebos one out of ten, David Blaine card tricks on Daniel Fishle one out of ten, unexplained trolley's surprised Latin Skills, Scandinavian Magicians one out of ten, Acid trip transitions or one out of ten magician.
Speaker 1: Now you go ahead, what would you like to pick? There?
Speaker 4: Sabrina, I think that I can't get past that Daniel Fischal story.
Speaker 6: That would freak me out.
Speaker 4: It will probably be in my dreams a few times in the next week until I get to have a conversation. Make sure she's okay. There, We're gonna have to go David Blaine card trick.
Speaker 1: Do you got it? The longest one, the longest necessary? I think I go first this week? Do I not? Yes?
Speaker 4: You do?
Speaker 1: Okay? This was a movie. That's my review. This was a movie.
Speaker 5: It wasn't great, it wasn't awful. Again, the acting was fine, The story didn't make.
Speaker 1: A whole lot of sense.
Speaker 5: The magic didn't really make a whole lot of sense. It was a great concept that was not executed particularly well at times. You know, the idea of a reality show, a wizard doing a reality show to find another wizard.
Speaker 1: It's a great Disney concept.
Speaker 5: It's a great idea bringing in the reality show concept during the early two thousands.
Speaker 1: Great idea. It just wasn't hugely executed.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: That being said, it also wasn't awful by any stretch of the imagination. That's why I think I'm being fair when I give this six David Blaine card tricks on Danielle Fisher.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what what do you think?
Speaker 4: There's rina I'm gonna match your six six David Blank card tricks on daniel Fishel For me as well, I I thought the same again, I thought that you know what I honestly wish that they dove into a little bit was the chemistry between these two actors, and they were so cute and adorable together, both of them great actors on their own stand that I think that would have brought a little bit more, especially for me with being a rom com lover and then you add in just a little bit of magic. I would have been sold.
Speaker 1: So much that.
Speaker 4: It's a shame it did it, because I really think that it would have added a lot to the movie. I did think several of the tricks here with the special effects were pretty good, you know, done well. You know, the the night one was was not great. But again they could have done, like you said, the execution of giving the actors something a little bit more specific to do probably would have made that not because again I don't think you watched Disney movies for these great special effects.
Speaker 1: No, of course not. And you know what you're getting into exactly.
Speaker 4: And so I just think there was times where there was missus and it kind of didn't really matter one way or the other. And like I said, it took me a little bit longer to watch. I didn't get I didn't this wasn't a movie I watched from the start to the end. I didn't watch it straight through because of that. But there were good parts, like I said, and we had the some of it was very creative, and I loved getting that puzzle piece her being such a puzzle person.
Speaker 1: They could have done more with that stuff.
Speaker 4: Yes, and oh the last bit was there was just and I'm gonna dock it down just a little bit. I would have probably gone at six point five, but there were just too many damn trolleys. They were everywhere in this movie. If they weren't on screen, you heard them in the background. Anytime they were on outside, those trolleys were passing by.
Speaker 1: Charley's Well's Hogwarts. That's what I'm saying. It's Hogwarts. Would you like anything from the Troneyda? So thank you so much for joining us our next movie.
Speaker 5: Oh, it's a big one, and we're bringing in a special guest. Yes, we're going back to sequel town for us. It is the follow up installment to the Zombies franchise. We're doing Zombies Too, everybody, and we're gonna be joined by one of its biggest fans, my Pod Meets World co host and bestie Danielle Fischle is gonna be joining us. I cannot wait. I'm so excited for that. It's available to stream right now in Disney Plusic. Go ahead and jump in right now to watch Zombies Too.
Speaker 1: I can't wait.
Speaker 5: We're gonna start doing some of these sequels. I really can't wait. Can't wait for Cheeah Girls too. There's so much I want to watch.
Speaker 1: But before that, we're keeping it magical with the guests. We've talked about this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're gonna be very happy because Johnny Pacar we talked to him a little about now you see it, and he gave us the super low down.
Speaker 1: I want you to listen to a little bit of the conversation.
Speaker 5: Were you a fan of magic before you got this this role or was this a world that they kind of opened up for you?
Speaker 3: You're opened it up.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I was a fan of it, but I didn't study it or try to learn magic. You know, maybe the simple card trick here and there that you see your friends doing. But no, I was always fascinated. But I'm still fast sated by it. And when they hired this magician, the teacher, he took me out like the Magic Castle. It was really cool places and I was just floored.
Speaker 1: He was so much fun to talk to you. It was great, wasn't it.
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: Yeah, So make sure that you are subscribed to the Magical rewind Feed on your favorite streaming services. That way you don't miss out on Johnny or any of the other amazing Disney guests we've had on and for more info. You can follow us at Magical rewind Pod on the Instagram Machine now.
Speaker 1: Daniel Fischel Zombies' two. Next time you gotta join us. Bye,