Speaker 1: R and B Money.
Speaker 2: We are.
Speaker 1: Thanks take vlochie. We are the authority on R and B Ladies and gentleman.
Speaker 3: Name is Tankaline and this is the R and B Money Podcast, the authority.
Speaker 4: Come on on all things.
Speaker 3: And oh my god, your vocals, oh shackles off my feet.
Speaker 4: So he's got it's gotta be the guy.
Speaker 1: In between my say sensual moments.
Speaker 5: I take time, huh to give the Lord.
Speaker 1: His just due.
Speaker 3: And today is to day we are gonna get Jay Valentine saved today. Call today gotty whip for who we got in the building. I can't say enough about this young lady, a Grammy Award winning I mean, changing the trajectory of a message, showing God in a way that is just just the way I'd love to see it. And she's here the first time I'm gonna say the first Ladies, Erica Campbell of Mary Larry's in.
Speaker 5: The Pillar, thank you.
Speaker 6: Glad to be here, Glad to be here.
Speaker 3: Finally, I remember coming here, moving to La in two thousand. Good friends of mine, good friends of all of us. Rapture at the time was my musical director and producing all this music for us East seats. Everybody nice to go over the raption and church and hang out with them all the time. You know what I'm saying, still trying to keep my church ways as I've moved out into California, you know. And and Rapture was like, man, you gotta you gotta hear these girls called Mary Mary. I was like, Mary married the names. I was like, I don't know about that name, but the gospel they crazy. And Warren is produced, I said, Warren, like Warren Warren, Yeah, it it's crazy. I was like, this a right, Like, what kind of gospel is it? Though, I'm telling you it's different. You gotta see it. You guys jumped on that scene, and I was my prayers had been asked, I have. I'm having the same conversation with you that I had with Kirk when I said, that's what I was trying to hell everybody, that's what we should do. We our message it should be competitive, Absolutely, it should be. It should be fightd.
Speaker 7: So if we, I think, if we serve the creator of the universe, right, what did creation look like when he said let there be stars, and stars just appeared the whole galaxy? What did that look like when he made birds and whales?
Speaker 6: And elephants. It was a show. It's the best show you ever seen, right.
Speaker 7: So then why do I have to sing about God and be boring and little ashy?
Speaker 6: And you know what I mean? God?
Speaker 7: So when Mary Mary first came out, we were at the salon getting our hair done and the CD cover was on the table and this guy was like, oh, man, who was this?
Speaker 6: They fine?
Speaker 7: I was like, that's gospel music. He was like, saying gospel. I said, why can't it be gospel? He said, because gospel is old, fat and bored. And I said, well, do I look old, fat or boring? He was like, ah, I said, that's me. I sen gospel.
Speaker 6: He was like, oh, okay, okay, I want to check it out.
Speaker 7: And he you know, I think a lot of people were just not expecting girls that looked like us to be saying about the Lord. But I mean, I don't think we were the first ones to look like us that same gospel though.
Speaker 3: Well, in our fairness, you kind of were in leading the charge of like, you know, because there are rules. I come from a Baptist church. There are rules. There were rules in terms of what women could wear, and we were rule breakers.
Speaker 7: We were rule breakers my father was a rule breaker and so it wasn't foreign to me. So my father did street ministry. So we were always like at the park with the gangs and the you know, and we were telling them about Jesus, but we didn't go in long white dresses looking.
Speaker 6: Corny, you know what I mean.
Speaker 7: And then and our youth ministry was full of beautiful young girls. Like dudes used to come to our church, and my aunt would say, invite them all, just don't sleep with them, you know what I mean, Like, yes, they can come, you know. So this this subject of faith filled and also being cute.
Speaker 6: And you know, I don't think sexy is a bad word for Christian A lot of people.
Speaker 7: Think it is. And sexy doesn't mean sexual. It doesn't mean I'm sleeping everybody. It means I'm attractive. It means that God put me in this package and so I don't have to run from it or cover it up because I'm singing about him.
Speaker 6: I think all of this was on purpose, you know what I mean.
Speaker 7: And so when you look at it like that, it doesn't mean that if you don't look like this, you can't do. This is just my story in my path, but my goal was to always let people see Jesus in a different light, because you know, on TV, it's the corny scene, you know what I mean, it's just's church is always portrayed. It's this uncool thing and people think it's the coolest when it's unchurched.
Speaker 6: I disagree.
Speaker 3: You and you guys, let you young ladies. And Kirk brought the the freedom of it of being cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and look, but I think.
Speaker 7: It was the honesty about we're not perfect, so what we weren't never trying to pretend to be more than we were.
Speaker 8: It was.
Speaker 7: It was hard because I was a hardcore church girl, grew up Evangelistic Church of God in Christ one hundred and eleven Street, Englewood, California, went to church seven days a week.
Speaker 4: And so.
Speaker 7: For Jesus playing no games, no, but yeah, it was street ministry. We knew that there were people that didn't speak Christianese, that didn't go to church. How do we tell them about this loving God that will take them as they are.
Speaker 4: You don't have to.
Speaker 6: Clean yourself up, He'll do all the work.
Speaker 7: So I just wanted to make sure that we presented in a way where people got it. And I actually was greatly inspired by. I remember saying the Clark Sisters on the Grammys. I remember being blown away. I remember watching BB and CC going man, one day, I'm gonna get a chance. I remember going to a I think it was, might have been the GMWA, might have been some conference where Kirk was there, and I just wanted to be in somebody's choir.
Speaker 6: I tried to sing with John p Key. I sent him a tape. I didn't get in. I tried to be one of the Kirk Carr singers. I wasn't good enough.
Speaker 7: I didn't get in, and I think it was because God was saying, no, I have something else for you, because I you know, when you have this view of church. And I had a great respect and admiration for the singers and what they did. And so while I loved them, I knew I wasn't them, but I knew that was the standard.
Speaker 6: But I also have my.
Speaker 7: Father, who is this buff dude who's cool in the neighborhood, who all the gang members want to talk to him when they're dealing with issues with their girl or whatever they're going through. And I was like, man, this is so cool that he can do that, and still be so respected. He's not the hornball. Did that they like, Ah, you don't know, they knew he understood them, And that's always my prayer. I want you to know that I get you. I understand brokenness. I understand you know, not having growing up poor, you know what I mean. And that was a great conflict for me for a long time. Like y'all keep saying, God, I'm gonna make a way out of no way. Y'all are still poor. And so this unrealistic faith that just talked about what I was going to get and not my responsibility in my life is how me and Tina tried our best to relate to and Warren. Of course we couldn't do it without Warren to relate to this world who has this big divide between my life and God and what that can be when they don't know it's all intertwined.
Speaker 3: All the time. Yes, I just feel like you, as he said, the youth right, which is so very important. I think you just really stayed true to who you were. Oh yeah, and your message is your message, but who you are, how you grew up your surround style, all of these things I can I can be me and and serve him that that that is and that that is the the the relatable, intangible. That just made so much sense for me. I was like, that's that's thirty ninth street from me right there, That's that's Forestville, Maryland for me right there, Like, that's that's it, it's it's it's when Jesus sent them out to by two into the street the street ministry.
Speaker 6: Should you pastor he'll up the church, sir.
Speaker 3: Offak, I keep a couple of but for the Lord, keep a couple of buts tho the.
Speaker 6: Lord, I can't stand it. Just but send disciples out.
Speaker 3: He sent them out to the to the street.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like, and so when you when you're sending somebody to the.
Speaker 4: Street, they got to be equipped for they have to be.
Speaker 3: They gotta be they got to be connected to that in order to survive that place.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you can't go like this.
Speaker 1: You know, a fake when you see one.
Speaker 4: Right right right where.
Speaker 6: You're from, right and what you're gonna say.
Speaker 7: And it's so funny because of my style of gospel, I'm always that's always who I encounter.
Speaker 6: I remember one year b ET Awards.
Speaker 7: You know, they do the press room and if you're nominated and performing, you go and do the press.
Speaker 6: So they happened to put Mary Mary on Hip Hop Day.
Speaker 7: So it is every hip hop artist in you know, the mid two thousands, and so you know they're like, praise the Lord, Mary, Marry their eyes floating, you know, up everywhere other than my eyes.
Speaker 6: Praise the Lord, God bless you. You know what the Mary's doing here on.
Speaker 8: This day.
Speaker 7: But because I'm strong in my faith and I'm strong in who I am, and I'm from Ingle, and I don't play them kind of games, you know what I mean. I knew how to be cool in the room and just say what's up and how you doing? And I knew their music, they knew mine. You know, most of them either had a grandmother or auntie as somebody who grew up in church. So it's always like my girl love you. And I would say, well you don't ye, yeah, you don't need shackles off your feet. Oh that's right, that's right, Okay, okay, my grandmother did you listen to you know what I'm saying. And so being able to just kind of talk to people just on a human level, I think is what allowed our music to reach the people that it reaches. I was just doing my solo thing. I was in New York somewhere is soho, and I thought this dude was trying to talk to me.
Speaker 6: He was like, hey, hey, you know, and I was like, you know, I was like, he was like, you seeing gospel music, right? I say yeah.
Speaker 7: He was like, I know you're doing your solo thing. Wo let you let me know. He knew that I was. He was aware of ye career. So he's like, I know you're doing your solo thing. He was like, but what you and your sister do? The streets need what y'all do?
Speaker 6: He was like, and so you know, we waiting on y'all.
Speaker 7: And I just really appreciated that, and it let me know the value of you know, singing gospel music and unorthodox places in unorthodox ways that does not always get accepted by church people.
Speaker 6: Because I have had church.
Speaker 7: People, Lord Jesus, some of the things that they have said, some of the man you know. But the good thing about me, I don't care that much. So I don't always remember their names. I don't always remember I just know that you don't like me. That means I'm not assigned to you. Is somebody else, For you can listen to somebody else, But I know who I'm assigned to, and I'm okay with that.
Speaker 6: So I've never spent my career trying.
Speaker 3: To please like me.
Speaker 6: Please do you like me? Do you think I'm good enough?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 7: God gave me this talent, He opened that door, and when I stand before him, you won't be there.
Speaker 6: He won't ask you did you like what she did?
Speaker 7: So my job is to make sure that I'm authentic to who he's called me to be, singing where he's called me, even if that's collaborations with non gospel people, even if it's other rooms. If he has put me there, then I'm there to be a light, to plan a seed, to be a room changer. And so I stand confident in that, not saying that I'm never, you know, shyer and secure, because I have been like God, can you just.
Speaker 6: Give me like a regular gospel song? Why does it have to be?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 6: I love God?
Speaker 7: Now they gonna beat me up more, And then when I try to the churchy things like a little more Jesus, they'll be like this ain't your style.
Speaker 6: So I'd be like, you can't win.
Speaker 4: So I'll just be Erica Erica.
Speaker 2: Before you go and see that, though, I just want to say for me, and obviously you've seen obviously what we had your husband on.
Speaker 4: This, yes, yes, and it's my guy and you know how we go back and forth.
Speaker 2: But I think y'all style of music, of gospel music was really important for someone like me who didn't grow up in church and to still get the word through that, but to still be relatable to me, right, because I think there were times where I was the guy who looked at the gospel music, the gods music scene are you know, or even the church in itself as this place that wasn't that was wasn't.
Speaker 6: Very welcoming, wasn't welcoming.
Speaker 2: I got you to me because it didn't it didn't feel like me, And that could have been something that I just conjured up in my mind like ah, well yeah, like you said, it's not cool because I don't really see myself there. But as I started to see myself there, it became something that it was more relatable to me, and it made it made the transition easier to listen to.
Speaker 4: And even a record like Shackles because it was knocking, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean, So that record I felt like I wasn't the only person that it affected that way, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: And I just want to say thank you for that.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean, because it is it is absolutely something that I needed personally as well to hear and to And I was never a closed minded person, so much like I don't do this and all of that, but it was just something that I wasn't tapped into.
Speaker 7: Your emotions about a thing or your idea about a thing can determine whether you will accept it receive it. Like if you go to a restaurant and somebody told you the food is nasty and the service is bad. With you walking, you're expecting trash.
Speaker 4: Yes, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: And a lot of times when it comes to faith in God, people have heard horrible things, seen horrible examples. So you're not even open to the beauty of connecting to the creator of the universe because you've got sister so and so said, and this person said, I don't serve them and they've got their own journey for whatever reason. I don't take people personal either. I think you're doing that as a reflection of you, not me. So it allows me to walk in the room not looking for Oh are they gonna like me?
Speaker 6: And you know, if you already negative, you're probably gonna.
Speaker 7: Give me that negative injury because you negative, not because there's anything wrong with me, And so me presenting the gospel has allowed me to be able to do that. I remember we were in London and we were doing this huge club and Cisco went on before us, singing the Thong song and at that time, right dumps like a truck. So we're like, we at this time we open with thingsk you Lord, I'm going Tina, we gonna do that, right.
Speaker 4: She was like, it's what we do, right.
Speaker 7: So we came on and sang that into thankful and then we sang shackles and you know what I mean. We had a good time, and at that time we knew that this wasn't which I was expecting. So we would jump off this stage, we would put mikes in people's mouth, We was dancing with people, and it was like, this is the coolest gospel.
Speaker 6: I've ever heard.
Speaker 7: But we were never afraid of that. I knew that it wouldn't be received well by church people. But where is light most.
Speaker 4: Effective in the dark?
Speaker 7: Where do they need this light? In this love most in places where I'm gonna feel better by this drink. I'm'na feel better by sleeping with this person. This is gonna make me feel I no, no, If I do this, this is gonna make me feel better.
Speaker 6: And this gospel music says you can feel better because you are a human being.
Speaker 7: And without all of that, you're still amazing, wonderful, valuable and necessary to this world. And so when your music brings value to people life, they kind of forget the misconceptions of, oh, this is actually a gospel chack talking to me. You know what I mean, because I'm not bringing the judgment, I'm not bringing the you better and follow all of these rules, right, any rule I don't follow, there is grace for me. Anytime I fall, there is grace for me. There's understanding for me.
Speaker 6: God has people won't.
Speaker 7: And I tell people, you got to stop expecting people to give you what God said he.
Speaker 6: Will give you.
Speaker 7: He never told us to trust people. He said, trusting the Lord with all your heart.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 7: And so if I trust him, I can trust him even if I'm in a room full of haters. I can trust him, even if I'm walking into areas I've never been in before, because if he's assigned me to it, he's equipped me for it. I'm prepared for it, and no devil in Hell can stop me.
Speaker 6: That's just what I believe.
Speaker 7: So my church perspective on people going in hearing the music is maybe a little bit different than somebody. I don't have the come in clean or stay away dirty. No, my uncle wasn't.
Speaker 6: Highly educated, but he was so annointed. He said, let him come, let him come.
Speaker 7: Smelling how they smell. We know what it was last night. It's okay, let him come. And the choir was singing. We would love on them and we would talk to them and they'd be like, man, this place is pretty cool. I remember it was a very big drug dealer in Englewood that would go to our church all the time, and he would always be like, man, I like it here.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 7: He ain't necessarily stop selling drugs, but you know, he came to church all the time and he would You could you could see him changing. You could see him trusting and believing that I could really like do something different with my life, like this ain't the only way I can take care of my family. And he just kept coming and my pastor would say, don't bother, leave him alone.
Speaker 4: Because everybody knew.
Speaker 6: Everybody knew we yeah, we knew.
Speaker 7: You know, some people scared, you know, because we was in a blood neighborhood and just all of that. And he'd be like, no, leave them alone, let him come. And so there's a lot of people that would come. I remember this one girl came to our choir rehearsal and she was like, I know, I'm not supposed to be here, and I got drugs in my pocket and a gun and if y'alln't pray for me, I'm gonna kill somebody right now. We stopped cire rehearsal and prayed for her. She's still in the faith right now. You know, it's not perfect, but still to this day. And she said, I've never been to a place where they expected accepted me that way.
Speaker 2: And that's what I believe that I felt listening to the music was acceptance, because that I think that's from the outside of it. The biggest deterrence is not thinking that it's going that you're going to be accepted in this space because of maybe where you come from or how you're living, or you know what I mean. Those different things that where goes back to judgment. Yeah, nobody wants to be judged, you know what I mean. People can say that it's going.
Speaker 6: To judge everybody.
Speaker 2: We judge everybody, but nobody really wants to be judged. And then you're and then you're also not going toward judgment. Like if you know, like okay, across the street, right, they about to read me all my rights over there, and they gonna tell me what I'm doing wrong.
Speaker 4: You can probably go to the.
Speaker 1: Around the corner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm gonna go to the easy church, or not one at all, or not one at all, you know what I mean. And it was something that you said that was really important because I felt like when I was growing up, what I saw and what I heard more so not even what I saw at times, but what I heard was, you know, they got the church over there in the projects in the hood, and then they got the pastor driving the shiny Cadillac, and those two things didn't go together to me.
Speaker 6: So you want your pastor poor.
Speaker 2: I didn't want them to be poor, and really I didn't even I didn't have a pastor. But for me, looking from the outside, I'm just like It just doesn't make sense to me like that. All the people here aren't doing well, but the pastor is. I think he should share the wealth.
Speaker 4: The best.
Speaker 7: I don't know who said it, but I know someone said the best thing you could do for poor people is not be one of them. Because how can I teach you how to come out of this? I how can I teach you how to elevate? How can I teach you how to maximize in your life? If none of us ain't got nothing, somebody has to have something. Yeah, And you know, I don't want to get too spiritual because I wanted your audience to be like we know, there's always an agenda to make sure people don't get this message of God right. So the enemy will start in January to destroy you by December. If you have financial issues right, and you striving and you want things and you're trying to you're trying to make it happen, and you go to church, the enemy gonna whisper in your ear he got more than you.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 7: Jealousy set sins, So I can't say, wool, I'm glad God blessed you, Maybe God will bless me. It turns into well, why didn't he bless me to. That's envy. That's not faith, that's not expectation, that's not hope. That's not gratitude. That's not looking at someone else and being able to applaud someone else, you know what I mean. So sometimes it's heart posture that makes you go and look around. Let me see which church is raggedy. You don't want God, you want something else. So you're gonna find what you're looking for. The enemy gonna make sure you find what you're looking for.
Speaker 6: Most of the time.
Speaker 7: Most of the time, those people are very loud. Sin has good great marketing, great marketing. It's everywhere.
Speaker 6: People want to hear the bad news, right what's wrong with them? Just you know? And sometimes if you got yourself together, they're still looking for what's wrong.
Speaker 7: They can't be that good, you know what I'm saying, Like we anticipate. We're so comfortable with the bad and the broken, and we're so comfortable with thieves, and so that's all we're looking for. We almost distrust a good guy or a good chick. We almost questioned the couple that's been there. It must be something in there. Of course, it's something in there, but love held them together. Of course, somebody's jacked up in the church. But we're not coming here for each other. We're coming here for God. And I may have to sort through some people with their brokenness. I may have to sort through some people who are struggling and trying to get this thing right. The thing about faith is you got to keep doing it every day right.
Speaker 6: It's not like I'm gonna get it right. Oh I'm setting now, I'm good.
Speaker 7: So as you come to a church, everybody is coming for the same thing, for God, right, for for better, for a light, for understanding, for healing, for whatever you're looking for. And the enemy does not want you to get that because you are the most powerful in those times and in those moments when.
Speaker 6: You're operating in your full power, in your full light.
Speaker 7: No, they're gonna start, They're gonna stop doing this raggedy stuff if they really understand the power of God and how I can tap into the creator of the universe and say, what does my tomorrow look like? And God say, I'll need you to open this door and go through here. But if you looking at people that's wrong. I can't go in that room. They're gonna hate on me. You may be called to that room, you know, and so you may have been called to that church. But I saw the Bentley first, so I'm not gonna go.
Speaker 9: That's definitely how I felt when I got.
Speaker 3: I go to a church and I say the bill and I come from the churches in d C.
Speaker 6: Does that people with money are well?
Speaker 3: No, no, here's the thing not good? Because I want to. I want to. I want to, I want to jump, I want to get Because it was just like, I.
Speaker 1: Don't I don't mind the pastor.
Speaker 3: Living good and and and and and having his car and you know, having his his portion of of what God of what God gets sure, and I was giving my experience when I like, he said l A and I was like the first when I first moved to LA was the first time.
Speaker 1: Excuse me?
Speaker 3: Then I saw a V I P section in church and I was like, so, what's so who's this there? Definitely for V I P. To sit behind. I was, oh, God, okay, I'll just park right No no, no, no, no, that's also V I P. Park So you got it? What? And I was like, okay, well, I'm gonna just here go to It was my first time ever ever ever seen and so I didn't know. I didn't know how to process it because every every church that I had been to, or every church that I grew up in, the only person that had reserved parking was the pastor and everybody else we just found us a space and help other people find spaces. And then when you came in the only people who had a signed seating where the deacons and the deaconesses and the mother's board, like you knew where they said. And then well, my grandmother had her own seat, so she don't sit in her seat, don't sit in mine, don't sit and past the Mary Jean Giles seat. It's don't be hal to pay right being the third on the end, don't touch that right. But outside of that, everybody you filled in m hm. And so just speaking more to you know, kind of what he was saying, just the nuance of it, you know, I'll add I'll add to a story with that in terms of how I would have loved to see or what I thought every church should have been.
Speaker 1: Pastor battle good friend of.
Speaker 3: Mine, I went and did his church, I think it was mother's dad performed. He called me. He was like, yeah, I want you to perform my church, my mother's day. I was like, the mothers need to touch. I was like, he said, yeah, we do two services. You sing some songs, play the piano, and then we do like a h a talk where we talk about you know you you being in the industry, your faith and all these things and how it carries you through and that. I was like, this, okay, you sure? He was like. He was like, he's like yeah. He said, what do you charge? I was like, I mean it's church.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 3: I was like, I charged this much. He said cool. I was like cool. He said, yeah, I don't negotiate against people. They said, that would be me telling you that I don't believe you are who you say you are. I was like okay, amen. And then I was like, well, I don't you know. I got a gig. I'm trying to get there. He was like this, okay, well, what's the easiest way to get you here? I was like, probably a jet man, but I'm not trying to put all. He said, Okay, price out of the jet. We'll get you here. I was like what, ok amen, amen, and somebody will get church got some money. No pastor battle himself is cool. He's not the flashy is not the it's not what he does. So we get the church and we do these services, and in these services, I'm watching him. I'm watching him give, I'm watching him give car, job, place to stay. I'm watching him give, and I'm like, I had never seen church like that, because I'd always seen them take the offering and just take it in the back and then that's it. And you had never actually seen how how the church, you know, fed the community.
Speaker 6: And I love that story for so many reasons.
Speaker 7: I love that that there was a reservation even in when he asked you to come, you weren't, like I do venues fine, church is fine.
Speaker 6: I love that there's a there's a sense of respect that you had like should I say this? Should I?
Speaker 7: And I think that shows that there is a reverence for you know, God and God's House and God's people. I love that they even had you and that they treated you the way you're supposed to be treated.
Speaker 6: And I can honestly say there are many churches that have done that.
Speaker 7: And then while we're on their way, we're like, oh, yeah, that's our children's facility, that's our seniors facility, this is where we be the homeless, and.
Speaker 6: This is where we do this, and this is our prisons ministry.
Speaker 7: There are a lot of churches that are blessed because of the amount that they give and how they serve. Now, there are some trash churches. There are some raggedy ones out there. I'm just like and I'm not because I never want to talk about the good and not acknowledge. I know that that exists, and I know that there are a lot of people that have their hearts broken in church. But God didn't do that. And if you were going for people, you got what you were looking for. But if you were going for God, you look past that broken person and say, but Lord, what are you saying to me? I know what they said, but Lord, what are you saying to me?
Speaker 1: Keep framing it around God's name?
Speaker 3: Right, So I'll say it as I was a musician, this is I'm sorry, we're going to get.
Speaker 6: To they wanted church.
Speaker 3: It was it's what you brought is healing and something something different.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: And so as a musician in my church, as as the minister of music and playing for all the choirs and writing the songs and the songs, I just want doing rehearsals as were in there seven days a week and even know what I'm saying, how do I live?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And when it keeps being framed as well, you know God gonna take care of you? Well, you do you think you think we can get one of them bricks that God God on the street and for a play, because because right now, just seventy five dollars a Sunday, right and you're telling me God got me. I'm here in the place of God. This ain't got me.
Speaker 8: A job?
Speaker 6: Then I had a job, I was saying at my church. But I had a job. I did hair, I was watching kids. I mean, you have to the Bibles as if a man or a woman don't work, you don't eat.
Speaker 3: So the responsibility of the ministry, which I think is supposed to feed me, and can they really free?
Speaker 6: Church is not as financially strapped as people think. A lot of times people don't.
Speaker 7: There are some sundays if people just don't feel like given, they don't packed. But if the church is broke, how much where it really is? Everybody is George Washington, the host Famous Dollars.
Speaker 3: It's saying seventy five dollars, he go to.
Speaker 6: Church, He go to church, a lot. Now, there are a lot of churches that take very good care.
Speaker 1: No, no, I get.
Speaker 3: That, don't yeh of the things that just kind of were like, you know, the conversation that were just like, but think about it.
Speaker 7: Just because your pastor doesn't mean that you are financially astute. Just because your pastor doesn't mean that you're good at organizing. You know, just because your pastor, sometimes their bills ain't paige because they're just not good with money. You may be called, but there's some natural things that you have to do in your own life. You know, get your own education, you know what I'm saying. Make sure you understand if we're understand financing, but if you don't, get somebody that does.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: I remember, you know, growing up in church, and I loved my church. But the people over finances, they was on welfare.
Speaker 6: So how you gonna really manage the finances of the church. Well, you know what I mean. Not that they were bad people, but they.
Speaker 4: Weren't equip They didn't understand what to do.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we had been trying to raise we would raise money and have a building, but have too many bills and have other things and you know, insurances and all these things that go into the business of church. But nobody understood the business of church because we're just gonna come and have church. So then when your business isn't right, you blame it on the devil, or you blame it on the quicker preacher. Would he really wasn't equipped.
Speaker 4: For that part of the job.
Speaker 7: Get yourself a staff, have financial people that will come here a long time ago.
Speaker 2: This is honestly, this is outside of how amazing you are in the amazing things you've done in music. But this is why you're you're so important to our show.
Speaker 4: Because this is a this is another side of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, because we get into the business of secular music, but we don't get into the business of church.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And because i'd say faith more than church, but just because there's always something fighting your faith.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I'm talking about the business side of church that it's being taken care of. And like I said, you know, like I like when we started the conversation, and it started with what I saw, but I didn't see the inner working. I'm just a kid seeing something that adults are telling me isn't right. But those adults may not look at what you just said. Okay, this man has a calling. They don't really understand business. And the women that are are the men that are handling the books, they don't they don't even understand money.
Speaker 1: They don't have a degree in account.
Speaker 4: Winston that went off to college and it's now back. Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So that's why I say, you know this, this conversation is so so very important.
Speaker 4: For even our audience.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And you know, because our audiences, we got people probably that go to church, that don't go to church, that you know, having opinion.
Speaker 1: Of the came from church, right.
Speaker 2: Right, And this conversation needs to be had if it's here or anywhere else, because just us having the dialogue that we're having now is helping my understanding.
Speaker 6: Oh that's so dope.
Speaker 7: I think God is always trying to get to us in different ways, and I love that. You know, the world is so big and so small all at the same time. When you think of social media, you can scroll past anything that may touch your heart and you don't know that you're going to need that for a later moment. And so I believe that God makes deposits in your soul for what you may need later. You may hear something, read something, experience something that will challenge you to think about God in a different way because you had this preconceived notion of what it could be or what it is.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: And sometimes the example was a broken person and then God allows you to see your own brokenness and say, oh, I'll kind of operate like that too. So the same grace I want for me, could I extend it to somebody else? You know, learning those principles of grace and faith and compassion, and you know, allowing yourself to be human and normal and knowing that I don't have to pretend to be perfect, I think allows me to see the greatness of God because when I'm weak, that's when he's the strongest, because he's lifting me and he's carrying me. And so if you have somebody that's coming and they see this broken guy and you know that is anointed to preach, but you know he got some issues in his flesh and he got some issues in other places. You're not holding him to this unrealistic you.
Speaker 6: Got to be perfect? Are you held to a higher standard? Absolutely?
Speaker 7: You know, should your faith make you make some different choices absolutely, but if you don't, there is grace for you. And so when you look at faith like that, you come in with a little more compassion as opposed to the eye that says she mess up?
Speaker 6: Is her dress too short? While you say it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 7: Hey man, we human Jesus went to the cross because he knew there was no way we were going to follow every single rule every single day. So every day he gives me another chance, another chance to choose him. And this is what I love about God. He don't wake me up and say you better choose me, because the plenty of people who don't, they still have breath in their body. And so that's what I think is so cool about God. So I get my eyes off of people and focus on God. Like even when I didn't, she choose you. Even when I messed up, You still blessed me. You still allow me to sing, You allow me to go across the world when I was doubting you and questioning you because you know, my father died and this manager did this, and the industry's not fair and it's shifting you. Still I'm doubting you, and this breath that I'm breathing is from you?
Speaker 6: How dare I? You know?
Speaker 7: And so it just gives me a little different understanding and perspective, perspective when I see certain artists and they're not gospel artists and they live and how they live, and I'm saying, Lord, just let there be a God deposit at some moment in time.
Speaker 6: Let somebody say, Hey, can I pray for you?
Speaker 7: I was on a red carpet and really really huge rapper and we knew that the Ruckus was coming. So me and Tina had done the carpet and we were doing an interview with ABC. So she was coming and we could hear the rush of people clicking and taking her picture, and so.
Speaker 6: We're coming off ABC. She's going up. So I turn around and I say, hey, how are you? And she was like, I'm so nervous. I said, you're.
Speaker 7: Good, don't worry about it, and she grabbed my hand and said, I feel better because you're here now. Had I got jealous because some of the cameras left me and Tina and went to her. Had I got an attitude and be like, I'm gospeling I deserve. I wouldn't have had that moment with her I don't know what that moment meant, but I know it was an opportunity for her to see a gospel artist in this big, huge star and say.
Speaker 2: Hey, how are you? Are you okay? And she said, I feel better because you're here?
Speaker 7: And I think that that is my assignment. That's God dropping those little you know, absolutely like.
Speaker 6: I'm here. I want your attention.
Speaker 7: I need your time to say thank you to me, you know what I mean, Consult me in your ways before you ain't that deal?
Speaker 6: Lord? Is this for me? You know what I'm saying? Before you go on that tour? Am I supposed to be here?
Speaker 7: Me and Ten have been invited to some tours that we knew, big stage, great opportunity, you know, Let the cute gospel girls open. Man, God, this saint. But that's from those those God seats that have been dropped in my life. And I just you know, I always say to myself and I tell people around me, when I stand before God, none of y'all are going to be there.
Speaker 6: Not a Grammy, not a nobody, not even my husband.
Speaker 7: It's just gonna be me. Did you choose me? Did you love me? Did you talk about me? You know what I'm saying, was you cool with me?
Speaker 6: Did you rock with me?
Speaker 2: You know me?
Speaker 6: So you know?
Speaker 3: Okay, let's let's let's let's get into you.
Speaker 6: Okay, let's get into if we.
Speaker 3: Start talking about buffed in the hood, I ever tell me because I don't know how much of a long time coming Mary Mary was. But I'm sure there was a moment early early on. I mean, us church kids, we always singing in church, always twenty four to seven win church, got it. But there's there's a moment when sister brother, somebody or somebody says, man, y'all, y'all dope, y'all are different special? When is that?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 7: I grew up singing in church, started singing at five. I was the solo artist at church. Me and Tina were not a group. Our choir went to McDonald Gospel Best and recorded albums and I would lead.
Speaker 6: And so Tina had a song with her.
Speaker 7: Best friend Erica bell Aircabelle wasn't there that day, and they were like, okay, well just sing the song with it.
Speaker 6: Were singing together, and we're like we singing We feel it.
Speaker 7: Like the audience, the choir, because they had never heard us sing together. They're like, oh my god, I'm about eighteen. No, maybe I'm nineteen. So Tina's about seventeen. You know, I don't meet Warren until I'm twenty three.
Speaker 6: He's twenty.
Speaker 7: So we're singing at church and I'm feeling, you know, I'm like, oh, this is something I always wanted to sing, always wanted to record.
Speaker 6: All my dreams were big stages.
Speaker 7: I would have the craziest visions of Arita's and people screaming my name, but I had no clue of how to get there. So I would go to every concert. I wanted to sing in everybody's group. I would go to all the studios and sometimes it's like, oh, cute little church girl, or you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: It was that for years, years, years, and I was like, why would you keep giving me these dreams if I'm not supposed to do this for real?
Speaker 7: So I am doing a play stage play, and by this time, me and Tina are making up songs, and you know, we moved out and all of that, and Warren comes to the show.
Speaker 6: My timeline may be off.
Speaker 7: Warren comes to the show, and you know, he just think I'm cute and we just exchange in numbers, but I go to the studio because he's working with Dawkins, and Dawkins already a big fan of theirs, right, So we're in the studio and I'm like, this guy is really cute. But I didn't want him to think that I only liked him because he did music, so I never really told him how much. I mean, he knew I could sing because he saw me to play, but I wouldn't like, oh, I want to record, do a Demommy, Simmy. It was none of that. Tina says, I want you to hear the song that I made up. The song was what a Friend, which is on our first record, I think the second or third song on the first record. So he's like, y'all should be a group, and I feel that it's coming. So in my mind, I'm going I'm getting closer to the dream. I'm getting closer to the dream. So we do a demo. He sends that demo to a few people in the industry. It's this, okay, well, I mean, I don't know if I can say it because he's in so much trouble. But Diddy was the first one that was interested in Mary. Mary just off a picture in a song. He never met us, never seen his perform. So we go to New York. But then there's also Columbia was asking and at this time then the face was asking, and so one was this is all off a demo. It's not even a record. We ain't performed nowhere. They just see these two Q girls in this song. Because Shackles is a.
Speaker 6: Beast, right, Shackles, the shackles. Shackles was the first DIF.
Speaker 7: Yeah, we did, we did, and Shackles was supposed to be for the Prince of Egypt soundtrack, and so once we heard it, because one was doing.
Speaker 6: The Prince of soundtrack, realized.
Speaker 7: Once we realized the magnitude of the song, he was like, well, let's just keep Shackles for ourselves and we'll do something else for the Prince of Eagypuntains soundtrack. We end up doing a song called let Go Let God with an unknown tie tribute in GA at the time. Yeah, so that song comes out. Then we do another soundtrack for Doctor Doolittle and we do another soundtrack, but we hold in Shackles in the bag, like you know, And so he's taking these.
Speaker 4: Meetings record from me. It was a record he knew more than we.
Speaker 3: But here's here's the other question too, as you as you moved through this, when you say you didn't want to ask him about music and all of these things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you know at the time what he was in music?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 7: I just thought he wasn't safe because he worked at death Row. But I know I liked him though, But I was like, you know, because I grew up with secular music as a singer.
Speaker 6: So I was like, man, he's so nice.
Speaker 4: This is why.
Speaker 6: This is no way he loves Jesus death Row.
Speaker 7: But that was so sweet about him, and there was just I went to my aunt, who was the first lady. I was like, so dating the guys in church was like a big no note for me. But he don't go to church.
Speaker 2: She was like, I don't know, it's something different about him.
Speaker 7: M And she said, okay, just pray for him. She said, not out loud, just say Lord, if this is you, just show me. And when we started talking we never stopped talking.
Speaker 6: It was old school sit on the phone for hours.
Speaker 7: He lives in the valley. I live in Lawndale. He's driving to my house. I'm driving his house in my raggedy Toyota tourseell, hoping that it don't.
Speaker 6: Up just to record music.
Speaker 3: Business. Yeah, oh yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: I am, but I'm still you.
Speaker 7: Know, trying to be cute but you know, but I'm you know, want to talk about music. And he knows that we can sing, so he's like, oh, do this demo. And I don't know if it's because you know, he liked me, or he was like, really want me to sing?
Speaker 6: You know, it's also.
Speaker 3: It's also mixed up when you when you're attracted to someone.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but he's becoming this producer, he's doing this these things, he's you know, and we're brand new.
Speaker 6: So we start recording the record.
Speaker 7: We are you know, dating by now, and you know, I initially was like, you're younger than me. I was used to dating older guys. I'm like, he's three years younger.
Speaker 6: Oh that's cute.
Speaker 7: But we would not stop talking to each other. So it's all of that, and somewhere in the middle, you know, before the record comes out, he proposes and yeah.
Speaker 6: And all of that.
Speaker 7: But then after he proposes, he's like, I'm not sure if I'm really ready to do this. So he says he needs space, and I said okay. But the next day we had to come to the studio, and so I said, well, I've wanted to sing longer than I've loved you, so I'll be at the studio. My my ego and attitude about Erica and her singing was like, you didn't been engaged twice before. Relationships come and go, this will be fine, but this music thing is what you want for the rest of your life. So I would go in the bathroom and cry and come out and be like, Lord, I'm thankful for what's my part? I act funny at all and Tea's like, it's okay, you want you want to stay home?
Speaker 6: I was like, no, I beat all right. So, uh, Tina and Teddy had just got married. The record comes out.
Speaker 7: By now we're on single number two, we're on I Sing, and we're traveling and.
Speaker 4: We're promoting only one that's not a Campbell yet.
Speaker 6: I'm not a Campbell yet because I'm still.
Speaker 4: For the other people that don't know.
Speaker 2: Both of the sisters married two men that are not kind to each other with the last.
Speaker 1: Name camb.
Speaker 7: So you know, he's trying to figure it out, and I don't believe. And ultimatums I believe you. You know, you show me the rules to the game and I play it. I'm not forcing you. I didn't say God please, I was like, okay, all right. So then he says, well, you know, I'm gonna call you tomorrow.
Speaker 6: And I said, but you want space.
Speaker 7: Space means a way, it means a part. So you live in your full complete, no airicodness, and you check how that feel. If that's what you want, that's what you want, and I'll deal with it. I'll cry for about a good two weeks.
Speaker 6: And then I'll be over it. And so we go on the road. We're doing something called the road shows. We're doing.
Speaker 3: On the road with you, right, No, he didn't try.
Speaker 6: He never really traveled with Mary.
Speaker 4: Mary.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So we're on the road, We're doing the road shows and I'm crying.
Speaker 2: Like my god, I thought you said this was him. But when I talked to him, I'm like, oh, I'm cool, you know, because.
Speaker 6: I'm a g and uh. We are in Paris.
Speaker 7: We're leaving Paris, and they said, somebody call the hotel, you know for one of the Mary's. I'm like, well, it's teena because I ain't got no man, no more then we go to Holland.
Speaker 6: We're in the line Ibby in Holland.
Speaker 7: And again there's a call for one of the girls and I said, well, Tine's for you. She goes to the phone. She comes back, she said, well, it ain't for me. She said, it's warn't on the phone. I was like, so I go to the phone. And by this time, honestly, I'm familiar with heartbreaking heartache. So I start building some nice brick walls around my heart. I was like, he may come back around, he may not. So I pick up the phone. He says, I'm so sorry. I do want to marry you. Let's get married in May. I'm sorry, and I was like okay. He was like, why are you sound like that. I was like, well, I've been prepping myself, not for this call, but for I can't do it call. So you know, long story short, we end up, you know, getting married in twenty three years and all of that. But it was a journey because I'm a very I'm very honest with myself. I don't believe that I can force people to love me. You have the same way I could choose God, he could choose me or not. And that wouldn't even make him a bad guy, you know what I'm saying. So our love story and our music story is all intertwined. Probably should be a movie.
Speaker 6: It's all intertwined.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 7: I don't know how true this is, but I believe Teddy called him while we were in Paris. It said, Nigga, you are you crazy?
Speaker 4: Did you see her? You still you?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 6: You won't space like?
Speaker 3: You?
Speaker 6: Better go and get that girl?
Speaker 4: And so you know, and it shackles out at this point.
Speaker 7: Shackles is out at this point. Yeah, Shackles is because we're in Europe. It's all over it.
Speaker 3: Let's talk, Let's go back, so you get the record deal, Yes, and the first single is Shackles holding not a long time, Yeah, even if it's a year and a half, there's a talk. Yes, and out the gate you were off man to the race. You in your mind have been saying, this is what I want?
Speaker 6: For sure?
Speaker 3: Is it beyond expectation?
Speaker 6: Oh? For sure.
Speaker 7: I grew up saying that God can do exceedingly abundantly above all I could ask or think, according to the power that works in me. So I felt like God, I'm working my power. I've been singing up and doing. I've been, you know, getting ready for this, and so here we are, and God kind of dropped a bomb on me and said, if you expect me to be great, don't be surprised when I am, because interviewers favorite question is can you believe it? And so I spent a few years going, I can't believe it. Oh man, I couldn't believe it, and so then I started changing. Yeah, God, you know, you can't expect something, anticipate something, planned for something, and when you get it, you spend your days talking about it in total wonderment. It should be more appreciation and gratitude, like, wow, not only did you do what you showed me, you did more than I could imagine. Because not only did he do this through me with this music, You're changing people, those lives.
Speaker 6: You're touching people that I may never meet. You're allowing me.
Speaker 2: This girl from Englewood, who you know grew up poor on welfare.
Speaker 7: You know all of that. You allow me to have this influence, in this impact. You know what I mean, even when I'm still having moments of struggle with my faith, because life is life, you know, you still choose to use me and let me sing this music and can't give up now and God and me and go get it. And then the reality show and all these layers that become Erica that just allow me to grow and see myself, see my own brokenness, but to see His greatness. And I think that's the most that's the most amazing part of all of it, is you allow me to see how fragile I am and it those people would sing ten times.
Speaker 6: Better than me. It's of course they're out there, but you chose to use me.
Speaker 3: Mm hm.
Speaker 7: And my humility precedes me everywhere I go, even though I'm full aware of who I am in my capability, but I know it ain't me, it's him. My insecurity doesn't make me inflate myself. So I feel better about myself and God uses me.
Speaker 6: That's how I feel.
Speaker 3: Tell me we we we went to yes abundance above beyond. Tell me some of the struggle that came along with shackles.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm.
Speaker 6: The church people that I loved that didn't understand. It's like y'all know me. So we started off, you know, doing big R and B and hip hop festivals.
Speaker 2: We started off it was an event with the roots, Snoop Dogg, Little Kim.
Speaker 7: And Mary Mary, you know, started off in all these spaces.
Speaker 6: Vibe had their juice.
Speaker 7: Addition, and it's everybody just hot and up and coming and Mary Mary smack dab in the middle of that, and.
Speaker 6: It was just it was weird, but it was great.
Speaker 7: But I wanted to be accepted by the people that have poured into me spiritually that prepared me to share the Gospel with the world. I wanted them to be okay with it being this part of the world, not the church part of the world. So there were some people who understood and got it, and most church girls that I talked.
Speaker 6: To there was like, man, we were just so happy when y'all came on a scene, like, oh finally, right.
Speaker 4: Do you think that.
Speaker 2: When you speak about it, it feels like the regional artist that blows up everywhere else.
Speaker 3: But at home. Let's see what you're saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's like, Okay, I'm from the Bay Area, right, and it's like if the whole world is singing your song, but the Bay Area is like this, don't feel like they're.
Speaker 6: Bad, right, Yeah, when.
Speaker 4: You speak about it, that's how it feels to me.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's how it felt for some church people. So we spent some years trying to convince. If we would do a church event or a conference or something, we would spend years trying. We would try to convince them how churchy we were. I remember we did a National Baptist convention. When I tell you, they was like, and we tried to wear our church is.
Speaker 6: You know, let the dress. We're not gonna wear leather pants today. We're gonna you know what I'm saying, we don't know.
Speaker 7: We tried to wear our church is and they still was like, I mean, they invited us, you know, they gave us a.
Speaker 6: Little love offering, but it was it was just interesting.
Speaker 4: And shackles don't make you move. But I'm saying already.
Speaker 5: It's it's you.
Speaker 6: But you know, you know, every song.
Speaker 2: Isn't for everything objective. For sure, music is subjective. But that beat so was the kick in saying.
Speaker 1: This right here on shackles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you a hater.
Speaker 1: You a hater, ain't no God in you.
Speaker 7: I mean, maybe they more Mama Shirley, you know what I'm saying, Maybe they more quartet, you know.
Speaker 2: But I'm sure from from from from your eyes and your sister's eyes too had to be like this don't make sense.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, you know when we would go to we went to a Gospel award, and you know, our seats was like way in the back.
Speaker 6: And this is after Shackles. Is Shackles in the world.
Speaker 7: Top five in the world, not just gospel charts or pop charts or R and B in the world, and they still kind of just we never performed Shackles. We didn't perform Shackles on the Stellar Awards until.
Speaker 6: We did The Mary. Mary's been here for twenty years.
Speaker 7: Most of our big songs didn't get performed on that award show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's wild.
Speaker 7: I mean, but it's fine. I mean, here's how I look at it. Everybody's music is coming out. I can't let my ego say, oh, I'm supposed to be here, maybe.
Speaker 6: It's somebody else's turn.
Speaker 7: Because here's what I know for sure, there's never a moment in heaven when God is saying I'm meant for Eric to have that, but darn it, somebody else took it from her.
Speaker 6: That means it's not my time.
Speaker 7: But when it is my time, I'm gonna make sure I give it everything I have. So I become a solo artist right start doing Erica Campbell. Tina says she wants to take a break. That's two thirteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how do you get into Is it just I need I need some time.
Speaker 6: It's I need some time with my family. You know.
Speaker 7: During the show it's made the last two seasons, Mary May is a lot, very busy.
Speaker 6: It's a lot going on, a lot of decisions. By this time, we have children.
Speaker 7: You know, we're working. I got three kids, she got five kids. You know, we're trying to do all the things. But I feel like I'm supposed to keep going. So we do a little more Jesus, which very different from the last songs. The last two songs of Mary Mary was God and Me and go get It. So we do a little more Jesus with this kind of rock church combination. And I get invited to sing on the Stellear Awards. Well, first I didn't. I'm not going to change that. I didn't get invited. We asked can Erica Campbell perform? Well, we don't know Erica Campbell by herself. And I'm like, I hosted it three times though I hop about twenty two Stellars at home.
Speaker 6: You know me.
Speaker 3: Hold on, so holdo, we gotta cut this.
Speaker 6: So no, no, no, let me tell you. No, I'm gonna tell you.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna tell you why this all makes sense. So they said, we don't know you by yourself, But that is the same thing my husband said, I don't know your voice by itself because i've heard you with your sister.
Speaker 6: Greatly offended at both him and them, but it was the truth. He said, you got two options.
Speaker 7: Be mad and don't do it, and tell this story forever how somebody didn't believe in you, or go and sing like you're losing your mind. Treat it like this is the Erica Campbell Show. Treat it like everybody there only wants to see you. So I had a custom outfit. I had Lorianne come with choreographer performance. You know, I had a lighting person come check out the lighting. Now, mind you, they only gave me a minute in thirty four secs. So I said, okay, a minute in thirty four second cause they don't know me by myself, So let me go and let you see who I am by myself. So it's a collabor collaborative performance with three other artists that were relatively new and so I didn't just do the lighting for me.
Speaker 6: I said, make us all look good. I didn't just do it for me.
Speaker 7: I said, well in the end, then we all sing it together, and it's a moment for female gospel artists. I didn't make it all about me. I remember being in the back and one of my good friends was in the back.
Speaker 6: He was like, man, this is whack.
Speaker 7: They shouldn't you should have had your whole moment. I was like, it's cool, I'm gonna take it. I was on time the sound check. I showed up and spoke to everybody.
Speaker 6: I said thank you to them for having me.
Speaker 7: You know how rehearsals at TV shows go, you know recordings. You're gonna sit there. You're gonna it's hurry up and wait, we need you hear three. But you're not gonna sing the four forty five, right. So I sat there and I was just as polite to everybody. I could be polite too, And then I sung my song and the room was blessed and God did in the room what he wanted to do in the room. So it wasn't I didn't want if I made it all about me, then it was I only got a minute thirty four. You know, but I was like, Erica, don't make it about you, right, because if God gave you this song, then somebody needs to hear. I need a little more Jesus. So you know, I came out. I had a little fascinator. I threw the head in the audience, and you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I rocked out.
Speaker 6: I did everything that I was.
Speaker 7: You said, I'm not gonna say that. Why Campbell said like this, He said, make it count. If you donna leave your house, make it count.
Speaker 6: Don't go and waste your time. Have I wasted my time a few times?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: You know, because when you're naturally gifted, maybe you don't rehearse as much, and maybe you are a little laden. Maybe you don't do this, and you know, maybe you don't do that. And he was like you, that's a waste of time. Go and be professional. Treat it like a privilege that somebody thinks enough of your talent that I want to pay you to come and sing for three minutes or thirty minutes or whatever it is.
Speaker 6: Like, nobody don't spend their day. I work an hour and I make this. Treat that with respect, you know, what.
Speaker 7: I'm saying, show up for the people that are excited to see you, that maybe this is their first time seeing you. So I always wanted to treat it like that. And I have great respect for the Stellar Awards.
Speaker 6: I'm a huge gospel fan.
Speaker 7: I remember watching it on TV wishing that I could be there. So I dare not turn my first time to stand on the stage by myself into this thing about me because they didn't receive me the way I wanted or the invitation didn't come the way I wanted. And then I started comparing myself. She's saying, and she saying, that's their story, this is mine. How You're gonna treat it, Erica.
Speaker 6: So I came and I did the best that I do could do. And the compliment that I love the most is we love working with her. It's a pleasure to work with her. So so then I came back next year.
Speaker 7: In the next year, I was nominated for eight one all eight, and then the next.
Speaker 6: Year after that, I but had I treated them nasty? You know what I'm saying for that.
Speaker 3: Minute and third you are giving a real lesson.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and.
Speaker 3: First being grateful, Let's start there for sure, being grateful, but let God, let him work, let him do what he needs to do.
Speaker 7: Get out of the way with your attitude in your mouth and you're going live and you're posting and you.
Speaker 4: Like and like.
Speaker 7: Now nobody wants to invite you because that means you can't take no.
Speaker 6: You're a spoiled kid.
Speaker 1: I can.
Speaker 7: I can take a yes, and I can take a no. Well, no, she's not suited for the show.
Speaker 6: That's okay.
Speaker 7: I'll be shooting suited for another one because there's always another show.
Speaker 2: Then I'm gonna get invited, and I'm gonna come with a good spirit and I'm gonna cook and I'm.
Speaker 10: Gonna so okay.
Speaker 7: So fast forward to its twenty twenty three releasing the I Love You record, which I am immensely proud of, was my last record nominated for a Grammy. We didn't get the Grammy, went to the Stellars, nominated for two Gsmies, nominated for about six Stellars, So Warren wins for producer. They went for the video, but the one that I wanted, the Album of the Year, I didn't get.
Speaker 6: So my kids are here with me. It's a moment.
Speaker 7: My kids are fabulous. Stout by Jay Bowlin. We do this photo shoot like it's amazing. The pictures go viral, all the moments go viral.
Speaker 6: But I didn't win. So when we get back to the room, my kids are talking to me. There's always a moment to learn, right.
Speaker 7: So while I believe in that record, I know that I Love You record is powerful because my aim was to make a love deposit in the world, to take a different look at God's love, not based on is my life. I love you because my life is good. I love you even my life is bad. So I Love You record is all of that. So I've been speaking that to my children.
Speaker 6: We're in the room and they said, Mimmy, how do you feel. I said, I'm sad because I didn't win, you know, And so they're like, that's not fair.
Speaker 7: And but the people who did win are my friends, and I'm super happy for them because the record is fire. So I'm not a hater at all, but I still want to win, so I have to regulate my motions. It was the same way when we were at the Grammys, Like, you know, me and Warren left and we were just a little quiet, you know what I'm saying. So I believe God allows me to have great moments and then real moments, human moments, low moments to see. Okay, so you're real happy when I'm good to you, You're real happy when you win in are you still grateful when it's not your turn? You know what I'm saying. Everybody got to take an L. The l's make the winds much better. So you know, while I'm still working this, I love you record. I still believe in it. I still know it was powerful. It didn't do what I thought it would do. Well, maybe that wasn't God's assignment for it. Maybe it is a resurgence of it, the same way like walking with viral like four five times after the record in two thousand and eight because of TikTok.
Speaker 2: I was gonna ask, was that like churches.
Speaker 5: Along no walking?
Speaker 1: I just don't know. It could be.
Speaker 6: You know what I love about Cali worship.
Speaker 7: We have a guy that somebody can be shouting like traditional church child, and it's another guy who's break dancing. It's somebody else who's crip walking in the back. So your praise is your praise, So yes.
Speaker 3: And I've seen it only in l A. I'm somebody talking about the gangster, the Gospel.
Speaker 6: Of l A we talk about and they love Jesus at the forum.
Speaker 1: I see it all at the same time.
Speaker 4: I don't know what you want I'm gonna do.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know. The crip Walking is way more cool.
Speaker 4: I think it's Big Beef. Does he go to your church? Big No, I don't think Big Beef church.
Speaker 7: But they're talking to Warren on the side for you around who they keep looking at.
Speaker 1: Great moment.
Speaker 4: Episode, Gosh, Jesus.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: But I mean, you know, we've seen some interesting people, you know, and I can understand how walking with viral.
Speaker 7: And it's everybody like it's it's all kinds of people. And I think that it's just my responsibility to put it out there, you know what I'm saying, and whoever receives it receives it. Some will someone look like church for everybody. It's for it's literally for everybody. Are you gonna tell me I can sing about God, but you can't listen to it.
Speaker 6: Everybody could listen to you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how many.
Speaker 6: Twenty seven?
Speaker 3: How many Grammys?
Speaker 1: Five?
Speaker 4: I'm just gonna come by your house. I can admire one day because you know, your husband has another twenty seven.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's a blessing. You know, it's so bad.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we do have a trophy.
Speaker 5: Room, won't he do it?
Speaker 3: Room?
Speaker 8: Won't deliver a load, deliver a law deliver Alon.
Speaker 4: I'm learning everything.
Speaker 5: I'm learning every time.
Speaker 4: There's grace for us all. Thank God for grace.
Speaker 1: I listen, thank God for grace. My goodness.
Speaker 4: Amen, we were living under.
Speaker 1: The law, earth opening up and the fire burning.
Speaker 6: You know some people, don't they He will be right here because you.
Speaker 1: Don't even got to you already know.
Speaker 6: Listen, I need the piece of gud.
Speaker 1: Listen, I know where that north star is.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, Amen, Amen, come on, he's so dramatic.
Speaker 3: First lady sister, he can't believe. We are grateful that you are here on today, and now is the time that the people need to hear from you. They want to know the music that has shape and made.
Speaker 8: Who you are.
Speaker 3: Your favorites, my favorites. We call that your m HM.
Speaker 1: Five, your top.
Speaker 2: Five, top five, your top five.
Speaker 1: O the singers.
Speaker 11: RnB song he rock it out, you yallson, dude, they're on the show that everybody knows.
Speaker 8: Yes, talk.
Speaker 10: You.
Speaker 9: Oh my god, that was so dumb. Oh was I finished? I'm so sick of you right now?
Speaker 6: Oh god, five that's hard camel.
Speaker 4: Is it all females?
Speaker 6: A female male?
Speaker 3: Top five R and B singers instead, or live your list, you pray, man, what you do, whatever you want, what you did?
Speaker 6: Or alive.
Speaker 8: Jeff R and B, not R and B.
Speaker 2: That is gonna put up whatever started army. The voices, artists, the voice.
Speaker 4: The voices first.
Speaker 6: The first one that comes to mind is Donny Hathaway. Just the warmth, the runs, the the tone, the texture, the pain. Whitney got.
Speaker 7: I'm ask you a little younger, I say, Jasmine Sullivan up hm hmm, Okay, I got two more?
Speaker 6: Oh man, this is not fair. Roberta flat mm hmm, roberta flat.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's nice.
Speaker 6: She don't have to holler, she just she just she's so soothing, you know. I got one more?
Speaker 3: Hungh mmm, more voice?
Speaker 6: What did I say?
Speaker 4: I said, Whitney Whitney zz jazz.
Speaker 6: Voices to meet it.
Speaker 3: I like.
Speaker 6: Not that has the biggest records, in the biggest songs with the voice. This is yours, this is mine.
Speaker 3: When you turn on your cassette, you what you want to hear?
Speaker 4: H oh a cassette.
Speaker 6: He went way back, okay, can I said, not too long ago?
Speaker 1: I saw one.
Speaker 6: Somebody had a cassette for me to side.
Speaker 3: You because.
Speaker 4: Stephen, come on, Steve, did you right there?
Speaker 3: And remember that time when uh, what's what's my guy with the glasses from from overseas older artists? Remember when Elmon John actually didn't have a song to see Stevie on his birthday and he just made up.
Speaker 1: A song Steve there s.
Speaker 5: You wonderfull.
Speaker 1: We thank you because you wonder.
Speaker 3: Steve.
Speaker 6: Steve like he just do this, mister, happy birthday to you.
Speaker 7: You could have song song ste there. He wanted to create his own you wonderfull songwriter.
Speaker 4: And I too like that. I can enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Paard something five R and B songs.
Speaker 6: It had me crying. It was James Ingram, what James say? And I just couldn't stop. And I have a great James Ingram story. I was singing on an event with James, Stevie and Natalie Cole.
Speaker 4: He's just gonna pour all the champagne the.
Speaker 6: Opening for this show, and I'm like in my mind, I keep going, what am I doing here? What am I doing here?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 7: And right before the curtain goes up. They were honoring Lionel Richie James Ingram grabs my hand and says, you're supposed to be here too, and it just allowed me to just take a different loud No, I didn't say anything. He could just I guess he could feel my I'm looking at Natalie Cole, I'm looking.
Speaker 6: I'm like, what the heck am I doing here? And I'm not even with Tina, I'm by myself. This was way before I was solo. I was pregnant with my son, so I was like, I was like, what the heck am I doing here? And he said, you're supposed to be here?
Speaker 2: Oh man, yes, one hundred ways.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 6: M Or how do you keep the music playing?
Speaker 3: Is?
Speaker 4: How do you keep the music?
Speaker 6: How do you keep the music?
Speaker 7: Him and Patty Austin, It's like it's magical what they do with the message and the melodies, and so you got to give a shout out to Quincy Jones, right, But it's just that's definitely one of my top.
Speaker 6: R and B songs. That's a that's a good question.
Speaker 7: Top five R and B songs? I would say one of my favorite is It's It's a It's a well, Joe, all the things you man want to do.
Speaker 6: Yes, that's a good song.
Speaker 1: I've seen him sing that song live so many times. You never miss it.
Speaker 4: You don't miss he does not miss never, he does not miss.
Speaker 6: He is by Brandy m. The genius of Warren Campbell. Yeah, I would just say, oh, Warren Campbell's song. That's what I should say, because why not.
Speaker 4: Because WARRENM.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 7: But what he did for Tyrese with Shamee was amazing. And when he tells about that, how old the song was, like, oh, let me just pull.
Speaker 1: This song out of the the song Tiki could have sang that song.
Speaker 3: That it was Are you teaky?
Speaker 6: Are you not the producer?
Speaker 3: That's that's how amazing from top to bottom that song. That's the song is not defined by a person. The song is a stand alone standard that by itself will stand the test the time.
Speaker 6: Absolutely absolutely, and I think that's why it did what it did. Yes, special what Okay.
Speaker 4: That's three that's salone that song.
Speaker 6: No, but listen, that's what makes a great song great. Anybody can sing.
Speaker 1: DJ Roer song.
Speaker 3: And Warren Campbell's song, and Tyree did an amazing job absolutely singing that song.
Speaker 6: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: But to me there are something.
Speaker 2: But to me, some.
Speaker 3: Songs are just.
Speaker 1: Like like I can't make you love me.
Speaker 3: Of course the originator is, but then you go to Prince, and then you go to voice to me, and then then you come away, and then then you go to everyone who's been on American Idol and it's like, but that's what.
Speaker 7: That's what makes a great song when everybody can singing and it's still yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: That's those ye competition songs.
Speaker 4: I start telling young fellas when they come sing and they want to sing live. Can you sing shame? How about that? Sing shamee?
Speaker 1: Can you get into your low? Can you get down?
Speaker 3: You know what?
Speaker 4: Three songs I'm talking about?
Speaker 1: Two?
Speaker 4: You keep singing these singing three songs and you sing for us?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 4: No, no, sing shame? How about that sing or single Luther song and executing Luthor?
Speaker 1: Okay, get out of your of your top top five songs.
Speaker 3: I know what you're doing. You're trying to think while you.
Speaker 1: Smart what you.
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 6: It's okay, you more, okay, Okay. This is a young one. And I would have to say p J Morton, we love we love PJ. Don't we but Pj's gumbo record.
Speaker 4: First Begin mm hmm.
Speaker 7: First Begin is a great song, and I don't know where it charted or but first Begin it's such a great song lyrically, the way he sang it, I mean, his voice is already special, right, we know that. But yeah, that's my jam. It's definitely one of my playlists. Gospel, not my gospel.
Speaker 2: I got my love playlist in my mind, raunchy pray list play listen, it's Warren Campbell playlist.
Speaker 6: It's not as thanksified as I am. I'm savor in my baylist sometime. Oh what's that? I don't want to bore you with it, but I love you.
Speaker 3: I love you.
Speaker 4: I love you.
Speaker 6: That's not knocks me off my feet. Yeah, knocks me off my feet for sure, some of these songs.
Speaker 3: Okay, I love that. I'm just saying.
Speaker 6: I like I love that.
Speaker 1: I like down there, Jon, I like down there.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 8: Cool.
Speaker 3: When somebody says, Steve, you don't don't know, don't do that, don't throw that man that smoke like that, don't do that.
Speaker 1: Put that man in that fire. Fire a better.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, we got one more segment for you.
Speaker 6: Okay, what's happening?
Speaker 4: Come on, I'm sick you.
Speaker 1: I ain't saying no names. I ain't saying no names. I ain't saying no names. Ain't saying no names. What you did your class crazy?
Speaker 5: That's what you said.
Speaker 2: He a special segment of the It's called saying names. Okay, will you tell us a story?
Speaker 1: Funny?
Speaker 2: Are m?
Speaker 6: H okay?
Speaker 4: Are funny and foolish.
Speaker 3: People that watch the.
Speaker 4: Show every week? I'll be saying some other stuff.
Speaker 5: When extremely extremely right, look at God.
Speaker 4: The only rue to the game is you can't say no names.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 7: So I'm singing background for an artist and it's an event worth a bunch of you know, R and B singers and.
Speaker 6: Not married at the time.
Speaker 7: And we get back to the hotel after the venu and I'm in the elevator about three R and B artists and it's just me.
Speaker 6: And they start going in with she.
Speaker 4: Fine man right there though, right there? Thank you man, she.
Speaker 6: Oh, thank you. And one gets off he was like, oh, I'm on this floor. I was like, okay. Then the next one, who do y'all think I am?
Speaker 2: It was just I just got three separate invitations, and I was like, yeah, I think too much of myself.
Speaker 7: Some of them I had, you know, listening to their music and had crushes on. I was like, yeah, I think too much of myself to be one of them chicks. But yeah, they were remain nameless, but wow, yeah it was. It was in the eleventor it warned, don't make no one sound in that corner those kind of situations. I'm just a different kind of ship. I value myself too much in my reputation. So like, yeah, I'm gonna see you somewhere else and be trying to sing about Jesus and you're gonna be going.
Speaker 8: It alone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what can I say? You just you're just dope. Thank you?
Speaker 3: You just there are so many heavenly words and descriptions to go along with it. But in the in, in in the in the interests of trying to encompass it all in a way that we would say it, you just don't thank you. I just you fired every every time every time I see you, and and and even the husband, I'll give him some some you know, it's it's it's about you though. It's just it's like some people, it's like it's just always good to see you. You know what I'm saying, like it's energy, Like, uh, you know.
Speaker 7: It's that because you avoid unfortunately been many backstages.
Speaker 3: You'll be like and it's like you you you know, you know, you're you're amongst family, you know what I mean, you're amongst people that you know, hey, if it go down, I know, so I guess some people in here that got in my back.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but you know, I just don't ever want to be the gospel artist, the Jesus girl, the church girl, to be like, yeah, she ain't really about that, sheep, that's just the stage.
Speaker 4: It's a whole different way.
Speaker 3: I don't think. Yeah, I don't. That's not even possible. You know, you're your your life precedes you in terms of like you know, they say in the street, ain't no smull on your name.
Speaker 6: I ain't perfect.
Speaker 3: No I don't.
Speaker 4: Nobody let me tell you you ain't.
Speaker 3: But there's a difference. There's a difference. There's a difference in us not being perfect and it's being human and and just being and being something else. No, I can't do that, you see what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: I can't do that. So the way my family is set up, they can see here smell one thing if you lost your what.
Speaker 3: Is like some of us still have that accountability system set up strong. My mama will call me and say, is that what we're doing?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: My mom? Be the first time.
Speaker 3: I don't like that one.
Speaker 8: I don't like that.
Speaker 1: Gonna get you about dabling. I don't like that, Dorel.
Speaker 4: You have to do.
Speaker 6: You got to do what she said. You said, yo, who.
Speaker 1: No if my my younger cousins probably called mee tank put my mama, that's all.
Speaker 3: Right, you'll be back, You be back.
Speaker 1: Don't he gonna see you? Come on, you're gonna stop playing with him.
Speaker 2: Come on, you're gonna give him a complete Yet he out here with me and then comes showing up here.
Speaker 1: Absolutely you know I'm I'm on a mission.
Speaker 6: So then maybe you can't be the youth pastor. We'll talk to Warren.
Speaker 3: But and we we we we appreciate more than anything you're coming our way, hanging out with us and praying forst more important. Thank you. That's great, and I look I look forward. I look forward to to your acting journey. I look forward to that. I think that's gonna be really.
Speaker 4: Really really angela Baptist And.
Speaker 1: That was good.
Speaker 3: I got and I got it's crazy. I got something I'm working on right now.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, we just talked about it last working on.
Speaker 1: Right there.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 1: Ladies and Gentleman.
Speaker 3: My name is Tank and this is the R and B Money Podcast, the authority on all things I need it, ARM and B.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this has been a blessing that that's too long.
Speaker 8: Where's your balance?
Speaker 3: This has been a blessing from on high. They awesome, the amazing, the beautiful Erica.
Speaker 2: R and B Money is a production of the Black Effect podcast Network. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. Don't forget to subscribe to and rate our show, and you can connect with us on social media at j Valentine and at the Real Tank. For the extended episode, subscribe to YouTube dot com or slash R and B Money