Speaker 1: It's a special edition of the Rich on Tech podcast direct from China. What's going on? I'm Rich Dmiro here in Shanghai for cs Asia, where tech companies are showing off their gadgets for a marketplace of over a billion people here in this region. And yes, I've got some thoughts on that show the country at large and lots of international lessons learned. We also got to go to Shanghai Disneyland, so we're going to talk about that and of course answer your pressing tech questions as always. Joining me is producer Megan, the driving force behind this trip. Meghan, Welcome to the show. Me How she she? That's about all I've learned so far since I've been here. But you really wanted to do this? Why?
Speaker 2: I just I've never been to Asia and it just sounded like such a cool opportunity to bring you know, the Tech show here and just see, you.
Speaker 3: Know how what CS Asia is all about.
Speaker 1: So and on that note, thank you to CES Asia for hosting us. They brought us out here to experience the show. Now. I was actually here for the very first show, which was five years ago. I came here with my photographer Phil Ega, and it was the inaugural show, So I mean it was like the first time. I didn't know anything about it, and I don't think neither either did see Yes Asia, I mean it was a smaller, much smaller show than it is today. It has definitely grown. So this year, five or six giant halls of exhibits. And yeah, there's a lot of random tech accessories. I mean that's to be expected because we're in Asia. I mean that's this is where they're all made. But they had a lot of cartech, they had Ai, they had five g lots of keynotes from big companies. Huawei gave the keynote, which is kind of awkward because you know, you've heard Huawei in the news so much. They're they're facing that major band in the US. I think they're already banned at this point, so but I think they're fighting it. But my big takeaway from the show, did I see one thing that just like blew my mind? Not really, but I saw lots of little things and a lot of cool stuff too. That all kind of makes you realize it is a very big world out there. In the US, we're very focused on Apple on Samsung, but here there are so many people and what I've noticed about people in Asia is that there is not one theme I see right, except for the fact that everyone's on their phone all the time. But they use a lot of different tech. Like in the US, it's all Apple, it's all Samsung, and you know, a couple other brands. But here it is like I was looking at people's phones and I couldn't identify what phone models they were because there's so many different types. So I think that's my big takeaway is that really this is a huge world. Keep in mind that when you talk about tech and you see tech, there are a lot of different people out there and there's something for everyone. Okay, so let me talk about the way this show is gonna work, because it's a little different than our previous shows. Instead of talking about all the tech topics from this week, I'm going to share my thoughts about this whole experience here in China. But we're still going to answer questions. So in between my thoughts, I'll take a question. And I guess now's the perfect time to start with our first question, So Megankay take it away.
Speaker 2: Okay, so our first question comes from Peggy Lane. Hey, Rich, we are very interested in purchasing something that attaches to our house as a water meter and alert to you when there is a possible leak. I would also like to be able to turn off the house water with my iPhone. How is the technology advanced in this department? Any suggestion?
Speaker 1: Ooh, that's a really good question, and it's something that here's the thing with all this smart home stuff. Once you have it, you realize that you can't imagine life without it and the smart like okay, so for me, example of me, for example, I just installed a smart lock on my front door, and now that I have it, I literally can't imagine life without it because I can see when my door is locked, I can see when it's unlocked. I can assign codes to people everyone. I don't have to have keys anymore for people. So I've given out codes to like so many people because they can just like my in laws, they can come in when they need to. You can say when you want them to have access. So like for instance, with the with the cleaning service I have them, they can only access it at a certain time, like they come on this day from you know, seven to nine. That's it, you know what I mean. They don't need access twenty four to seven. So it's like these little things I never thought of, Like here's for the past twenty years, you know, cleaning service had a key to my house. This makes so much more sense. So anyway, when it comes to the water leaks at your house, and by the way, I had this happen at my house, and it's not pretty a water leak. I think it cost us insurance. I think it was about almost fifty thousand dollars for I'm talking one little leak that was from the water heater. It exploded basically overnight and got leaked into our floor like for about twenty four hours. And I thought, no big deal. I just stepped on the floor and it was kind of mushy. Oh my gosh. I had no idea. You have to replace the entire wood floor, I mean, the walls. They gotta cut the walls up to like you know, so they can replace all the everything had to be replaced, mold exactly had to be dried out for a week. Well not because we've found it quickly, you know, but they still have to dry out your house for like a week to make sure that doesn't get any more.
Speaker 3: I mean, it was.
Speaker 1: Crazy My point is for a little tiny leak, it was like so much money. Yeah, and yeah, insurance will cover a lot of that, but I mean I still was out a lot. But anyway, so my point is these things are going to become even more crucial because how they work is they go on your main pipe that brings the water into your house and they sense what's happening with that water going through there. So number one, they can sense like is your toilet leaking because they use an algorithm to kind of figure out, like we we can fingerprint this leak, and we know from the other millions of fingerprints that we've taken that this is a water leak from the toilet, or this is a water leak from the shower, or this is your washing machine using too much water. So it's really fascinating what they're doing with the fingerprinting of this of the water flow in your house. So the two that I would probably take a look at. Number one is called flow Flo and this is actually owned by Mowen. You've heard of them, right, the brand, Yeah, So that's number one. The one that I know that I've seen a demo of is Finn p h y N And this is made by Belkan, which I guess they used to be. I mean I think they are and.
Speaker 3: We saw both of these companies at CES in Vegas.
Speaker 1: Right and this this is one of those things. But it's really expensive. So I think by the time you get it installed in everything, you're looking at over one thousand dollars, but in my case, for you know, being out a couple several thousand dollars with that leak. This is something that I do want to get and I keep, but it's like one of those things like do you really like you know, you have all these things of what you want to spend your money on, like a water flow leak detector in your house is not really on the top of my list. It's probably last on the list, but it is something to look into. So I think the technology this is going to be something that's on every home in the future, especially when it comes to water conservation. So those are the two that I look at, Flow and finn and you know, I think, once you have it, you probably gonna like it. YEA, So good question. Okay, So moving on with China, the number one thing that I have noticed about this country is the Great Firewall, as they call it right. It is real. You've experienced it. Connectivity here is such a challenge. And that doesn't mean that there's not Wi Fi. Doesn't mean there's not cellular. There's cellular everywhere, there's Wi Fi everywhere, but it does not work the way we think about it working in America. So everything that we use on a daily basis is pretty much blocked. And that includes Facebook, that includes Instagram, that includes Google, that includes Gmail, that includes Google Photos, Google Drive. As you figured out, the list just goes on and on, like all this stuff that you just think. You open up Instagram, it's just like sorry, could not connect, and you're like wait, what, Like, no, there's Instagram. You send a message to someone on Instagram doesn't work, nop. So the thing that I found is twofold number one. If you are using a cellular connection from an account from the US, like I have Verizon, if I'm using that on my phone, even though I'm going through China Mobile on my phone because it's roaming, it still works just fine. So that's number one. But on your computer, what do you do right? So right now I'm using a hot spot from my phone that gets expensive.
Speaker 3: We just figured it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which I just figured it out, by the way. But the other thing I've been doing is using a VPN, so that has really saved me. But the problem with the VPN is it kicks you off every couple of minutes, so it's not like you just log onto your VPN and it works the whole time. So it has been really frustrating. And the other thing I noticed is that I always talk about people always asking me, hey, Rich, how do I roam when I'm in whatever country? And a given you, your experience in other countries is a lot easier because you do have WiFi. That's that works. Like if you go to Italy, the WiFi is gonna let you access all the stuff you normally access right so here it's a little more challenging. But what I did recognize is I always recommend to go on the travel paths or whatever they call it, like international travel whatever. It's ten dollars a day usually on AT and T and Verius and the two big ones, and that gives you your plan as normal in any country in the world pretty much. So if you use your phone it's a ten dollars charge, it works as normal, like you can call people, you can use your Internet whatever. But what I did not know until this trip is that you only get a half a gigabyte of high speed data and after that they slow you down to a crawl, which is basically unusable. So now I feel like it's still the easiest way to travel internationally, but that half a gig is not enough. I mean, you know, you want to upload a couple pictures to Instagram find but for me, like I was uploading a couple of videos and stuff to like Facebook, and I want to back up my pictures to Google Photos. No dice, because half a gig is like nothing. You'll burn through that instantly. And the best part is when you're done with that half a gig and text you and they say, oh, we notice that you burn through your half a gig. We're gonna slow you down or reply yes for another ten dollars, we'll give you another half a gig.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's how they make the money.
Speaker 1: That can add up really fast. Yeah. Serious. Personally, I don't know how China survives without Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Google. Maybe they're better off, because you know, it's a source of a lot of discontent in America, you know, like people are surfing Instagram all day and they're jealous of like their friends they see on vacation what's not blocked, which has been really good? I message, so that's been a savior there. And you had an experience with a couple of things that were censored, so tell me about that.
Speaker 3: Oh so.
Speaker 2: The second day that I was here, I decided to like turn on the TV and just like see what was there. And I turned on CNN and I was like, oh, okay, see I thought CNN would have been like blocked, and I was just watching it, and.
Speaker 3: Then suddenly they started CNN was talking.
Speaker 2: About Trump, and then I was like, oh, weird, so they like talk about Trump here. And then suddenly and it was like obviously an American CNN because it was like Cenn anchors. And then within literally thirty seconds, it just went.
Speaker 1: Black because they were talking about something that was happening in Hong Kong, a protest.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, and then it was black for just like five minutes.
Speaker 1: So it's so crazy that they have it here. But yet someone is literally sitting there watching the CNN feed for all of China and just like pressing a button too, like blackout. Whatever. They don't agree with. I mean, it's so crazy. It must be a huge like business here, like industry here, like the government doing that. Yeah. And then a phone call with your mom something weird happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I called my mom and within like ten seconds, she was like, oh, are you listening to music? And I was like no, and she said, oh, well, I just heard like a Beatles song playing.
Speaker 3: And I was like, well, I'm not listening to any music.
Speaker 2: And she was like, okay, Well it was very clear, like I could hear a song playing for like three seconds. It like basically to me, like she couldn't hear me, she just heard the song. So like something happened. I have no idea. It was really strange. And then like throughout the call, I just was like, I feel like someone's listening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, That's the way I felt on all my calls. Yeah, the guy listening probably he probably like was listening to music in the background and like forgot to mute it when he like started listening to you. Actually, Oh my gosh. So crazy. It's just such a weird thing. Because yeah, I'm sure in America they do stuff like that, Like I'm sure there's a level of surveillance not on the average person, but in general, Like you know, I'm sure America does that to certain people and things that are being watched. We do have the FBI, but it just doesn't feel as in your face as it does here. Yeah, all right, another question, Megan, you're up.
Speaker 3: Okay. Next question is from Roger Massius.
Speaker 2: My kid downloaded some free software and along with it a virus that redirects my browser to bing.
Speaker 3: I noticed during the redirect.
Speaker 2: Process it tags a site called my Search team to get rid of it, and I'm getting really frustrated. Do you have any ideas on how to get off how to get it off my PC?
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, this is the worst. It's funny that this still happens because this was such a problem a long time ago, but it still happens. So what happened was your son probably downloaded some software that had I don't know what you call it, like drive by software included. Like a lot of times you download free software. The reason it's free is because they'll get money from a company like my Search, and my Search will say, well, let's bundle our toolbar in and we'll pay you ten dollars every time someone downloads your software. And you're like, okay, cool. I mean it's just so it comes with that software. So that's what happened. And it's, by the way, really tough to usually get rid of this software because it doesn't show up in the uninstalled tool but you know, uninstalled panel. It's just not like as legitimate as like a Google toolbar back in the day or like a normal company, So it's just tougher to get off your machine. So what I'd recommend is malware bytes. So I think that malware bytes is you know, it will find this stuff on your computer and help you uninstall it. So that's the main thing. If that doesn't work, I mean I think that'll work. So it should work. And there's if you actually search on Google for how to get rid of my search dot com redirect, you'll see. It's funny because I you know, I help a lot of people with their computers, and I can tell whenever someone's like I'm having trouble with my computer. If I start searching on Google and it goes like some random search, I'm like, oh, well, first off, you have malware on your computer. And this happens all the time, Like people don't even realize, like you'll get like these random like my Way Search. I mean, there's so many random search toolbars. Yeah, like engines that are like and they're all just the way they make money is they're just hijacking the ad data, so they're trying to get you to click on ads. They get a little portion of that referral fee, and then they make money. It's a whole terrible industry. But malware bytes I think should get rid of it. They're the biggest kind of like anti malware. And it's usually free. You can download it for free. I'm sure there's some paid versions of it, but it's it's usually free and it gets good reviews, Like a lot of the tech people recommend it because it is pretty legit. So now we talked about the bad side of China, which is the censorship, but I will talk about the benefit of China, the amazing part of China, which is like the people here are very kind. I describe them as gentle, like they just seem like I mean, we're in a city of Shanghai which has I think like twenty four million people, and it seems like the people here are just so like nice and like not just nice to us, but kind to like they're fellow human, which I find really interesting because you're in LA and it's like it's every man for himself, you know, and especially with the traffic and all this stuff. But it's and it's also really clean. So the city we were driving and I just could not believe, and I remember this from China last time, they keep this place so clean. It's just unbelievable because you're in a big city, but it is pristine and you can argue, you know, the government the way it is here and all that stuff, but I don't care. I'm putting all that aside. Like still they have figured out somehow in twenty nineteen, with twenty four million people to keep the streets clean. The flowers were like, I mean, I couldn't believe that just a regular street where you're driving was so nice. Now let's compare that to Los Angeles, where I always say that the big city has given up on the people because you drive in La even Sunset Boulevard, which is a street that is like the nicest street in the world. I mean, who doesn't know Sunset Boulevard or Hollywood Boulevard and you drive down them and there's trash, everywhere. I mean, you know the problem in LA it's really bad. I mean it's trash everywhere. The streets, you're not maintained, nothing's maintained. And so to see a city like this that has somehow figured it out. And I'm not just singling out LA. I mean New York City, same thing, a lot of this. It's just thirty San Francisco. I don't even want to start on that one. And that's like the dirtiest city I've ever seen at this point. So what is it about America? And again, and you know, don't call me like a China lover. I mean, look at Tokyo, Japan, same thing, huge city it is. I would eat my lunch off the streets in Tokyo. It's that clean. For a yeah, I wouldn't do that. But my point is, like it's part.
Speaker 2: Of Sunset that I was saying, But there's that one part of Sunset, Well that's in West Hollywood, which.
Speaker 3: Is part of LA. So like they figured something out.
Speaker 1: You go to the Hills, Beverly Hills, you go through the streets there, they're perfect. You go through West Hollywood, they're perfect. You go to Santa Monica. It starts you know. I mean some areas of Santa Monica could be a little dicey, but it's it's pretty clean compared to its LA at large, So city of Los Angeles, you know, bring your people out here to China and see how it works in Shanghai. How do they have all these people and somehow they keep the place clean because LA we can't seem to figure that out, and it'd be nice if we could. The other thing I noticed about the people here is that everything is mobile, Like everything is done on your phone. We can't get I've I've been talking about QR codes literally for fifteen years talking about technology. I still can't get the average person to scan a QR code. Here in China, everything is scan this QR code, you can pay, scan this we Chat you can do payment. Everything's through we Chat, this app that's kind of like their messaging app basically, but it does everything, does everything. So I mean, it's just funny that, like somehow it's America is very forward facing. Yeah, Like we're very old school in a lot of like weird ways, like with this whole mobile payment thing, like people are you know, like mobile payments and tap to pay have been a thing in other countries for like years. Yeah, and like somehow in the US, like people are still hesitant to use tap to pay or like mobile payment. Venmo is taken off, but I'm not a big fan of that. So right anyway, right, all right, I feel I sound like I'm moving to China.
Speaker 3: I know you're gonna move.
Speaker 1: I just bought an apartment here, So okay.
Speaker 3: That's what you're doing yesterday.
Speaker 1: You're looking at apartments house hunting International house Hunters, which with Rich DeMuro.
Speaker 3: Okay, so question time. Next question comes from Anthony Laura. This name sounds very familiar.
Speaker 1: I feel like we've had a question or do we do this question? Okay, well, let's hear we'ven't done it yet. Okay.
Speaker 2: So his question has to do with Pandora or Spotify. He said, I might have missed something, but what is your review and or recommendation between Pandora or Spotify?
Speaker 3: Paid or free? Either one.
Speaker 1: If you're gonna go paid, I'd go Spotify. I mean it's kind of like the market leader, you know, it just has everything you need. So I mean that would be my choice for a paid now for free, I really like Pandora. I think it's great. I think that there's two things going on here. Number one to me when I started using Pandora, because one the feature I love about Pandora and I have used it off. Okay, so have you ever seen We're like basically you choose your stations, right and once you have them, they're great. They play music that you kind of love, right like it always kind of figures out like good music for you. But my favorite feature was the Shuffle all of your Stations feature. So like a lot of times with like Spotify, you're locked into like country music or pop music or rap music, right well, sometimes I like a mix of things like everyone has, Like you know, remember the old mixtape where you get like a bunch like a random song next to another random song, right, Well, that's kind of lost with all these playlists now that we're experiencing on these services. And so I really like the feature on Pandora where you choose your whatever stations, you know, five stations or whatever you want, and then you say shuffle my stations, and then all of a sudden, I'll pull a country song from your country station, It'll pull a pop song from your pop station, it'll pull a jazz song from your jazz station. I find that really cool. So that's what I like about Pandora. The downside of Pandora to me is that I don't think the it doesn't have as much music as like Spotify, so I feel like you hear the same stuff over and over and over. So that's that's number one. And ads. Also, like you said free or paid, I mean you got to pay because even if you're doing the free Pandora, there's way too many ads, so you have to pay the five dollars a month just to get Oh my gosh, it's crazy. And nothing bugs me more than like being like a you know, hairplace, like a whatever, like where they're playing like Pandora or like an uber and you hear like an ad and I'm like, seriously, like just pay the five dollars a month and get rid of these ads because you're like, come on, wasting my time. But also check out Spotify Stations. That's the new app that is kind of like their answer to Pandora. So what I do was it Jose Laura Anthony, Anthony, Lara Anthony. What I would say is I would pay for Spotify ten dollars a month download Spotify and then download Spotify Stations, which is basically their version of Pandora, So you get the best of both worlds. When you want all the cool playlists, you go there. If you just want the sort of Pandora, sit back, not really think very much, experience use the stations. So what do you think of that? Answer Megan, I love.
Speaker 2: It, and I love their new app to Spotify's new like the stations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's really fast. It's like basically you download it and you choose the station and it just starts playing and then when you open the app again, it just starts playing music like instantly. Yeah, and it's really really fast. More about China. So back to China. So one of the things I thought was really interesting here is that. So when I was in China the last time, which was a couple of years ago, they had Uber and I thought it was so cool that I was able to use Uber and I got actually got tripped up because here's what happened. So I took Uber from let's say, the convention center to the electronics store that I wanted to check out. It's like this giant, giant, like twelve story electronics store, right, So That was easy because I just my pick up point was a convention center, which is well known, and the electronic store is well known. Super simple. What I did not think about is going from the electronics store back to the convention center. IMPOSSI to get my Uber because it was such a busy area there was no way. So what happened was I said, you know, I could put the locations in, but the Uber driver kept calling me to say where are you? Like who are you? You know? Because yes, I could not understand. So it was really bad. And I was like, so, bottom line, we have to take a taxi because I just waved one down, but you know, not ideal because I don't you know.
Speaker 3: But with that, did you have to show them in Chinese where you were trying to go?
Speaker 1: It was pretty easy, yeah, because I just said conventions, you know, I showed them like I forget what I showed them, but it was it was easy. They figured out. Yeah, but Uber is gone. They're no longer in China as far as I can tell. What they do have is this thing called d D And I was very hesitant because I was like, well, this is a Chinese service. I'm not really sure how it's going to work, you know. I just don't know. And when you don't know, it's like, especially when it's a service that's not from your native country, I'm like hesitant to sign up. Are they going to take my credit card? I just didn't know, right. So I was at breakfast and one of the other people on the trip was like, oh, DDI's great, got to try it. So I was like, oh, so that's all I need another American and so I downloaded d D and I signed up, which was, you know, pretty simple, and they took my credit card, and I got to say very impressed they We have taken them about ten times since we've been here. They have so many selections, kind of like Uber where you can choose like what kind of car you want? You know, the drivers, I will say, the level of driver I've seen was amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like drivers are really great here.
Speaker 1: Like they don't talk, and if they did talk, they were very friendly. They didn't really speak English most of the time, or they would speak Chinese.
Speaker 2: They keep speaking, but they like totally knew we didn't speak Chinese. But it was just to show that they were like trying to be social.
Speaker 1: I never understand that okay, like like you're literally looking at them like with the most blank stare in your eyes. Yeah, and they're still just like every step of the way, they're like talking like telling you something. Yeah, I don't know, I don't even understand what you're saying. But they were amazing. And the other thing that we noticed is what that they never they.
Speaker 3: Oh no radio. Yeah, it's completely silent.
Speaker 1: It's silent, like I'm talking. It's not even that the radio is turned down, Like in the center console was just a clock every time, right, it was like the the system was turned off.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I don't know if that's a d D thing or you know whatever, but that's or that's just the way. But and they were so professional. I'm talking on like when I'm in Uber number one. Sorry Uber, but the driving is terrible. I mean is it's horrible.
Speaker 3: The drivers are bad.
Speaker 1: They're so bad, and you get on the freeway and your life is at state because they're going one hundred miles an hour on the way to the airport. And this is why I don't like to take Uber to the airport, because they're going one hundred miles an hour on the four or five and I'm like, dude, I don't need to die on the way to the airport. Yeah, I don't need to go one hundred miles an hour. I will easily be happy with the speed limit. So you know, I've got kids at home, like please.
Speaker 3: Like just want to make it.
Speaker 1: I want to make it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And it's not like they're good drivers at a hundred miles or like they're literally I will tell you, I think out of the past twenty times I've been an UBER, I might have gotten into an accident twenty times because they do weird things that like normal drivers don't do, Like they pull out into the thing without looking, or like they you know, switch lanes and there's a car that hanks at them. It's really bad. Yeah, and I'm not you know, maybe it's not the higher levels, like I'm talking Uber X most of the time if i want like a better drive, like if I'm putting my mom in an Uber most of the time, getting her like the select or something like that, right, because the drivers do get better when you get the higher levels, right, But it's it's kind of it's sketchy, like they let anyone be a driver for Uber at this point.
Speaker 3: And I think the reason why, Deity what, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I think it works well because right when you order your ride, it asks to like listen to you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's also really weird.
Speaker 2: Basically accesses your audio and your camera so they can like watch you. But I'm sure it's the same for the driver, so like they really can't like there's a reason why they do that so that you don't get in the car and you're not crazy, you're like saying weird.
Speaker 3: Stuff to the driver, right vice versa.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And like I think that's another reason why Uber has a lot of challenges is because there's no one like really watching to make sure that like everything's going right.
Speaker 1: It was weird because and what Megan's referring to is when you download the app and you take your first ride, they're very big on safety. Like they say, we number one set in emergency contact. They tell you exactly how to call the police. Like it was a little disconcerted, like an option, yeah, like emergency you're in the car, which Uber has gotten. Now they do have that like a safety center, but it's like legit. They're like number one. They asked me for we need to record your audio while you're in the car. When you start this trip, we're going to access your microphone and record everything, which I was like, okay, I mean that's kind of weird, but it makes sense, right, Yeah. And then the second second drive we took, they asked for video permission. They said, can we access your camera? And I thought, I mean again, it kind of is funny because we're in China with the surveillance society, and it like, yeah, it's kind of funny that the d D would ask to do that. But I was totally like, all right, cool, yeah, and maybe it does bring that higher level of quality because they know that they're being watched. Ye, so and I was on my best behavior because of that.
Speaker 3: The driver, oh, by the way, yellows at drivers.
Speaker 1: And one thing I did not talk about was how cheap the d D drives were. I mean, I'm talking. I couldn't when I was doing the translations or the conversions of the currency, I was like, this doesn't make sense.
Speaker 2: It was like eight bucks for like also, by the way, on his Apple Watch, which maybe you want to get an Apple Watch even more, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: The best app that I downloaded gat it's called elk elk and it is just amazing. It's so easy to convert your currency in like two seconds. I loved it. I was doing it the whole time when you saw me. It's just fantastic. Elk elk. I think I'm on a free trial. I think it's a paid app. But I did a lot of free trials for this trip. I did like a free trial of that. I did a free trial of Apple News Plus to download magazines. I did a free trial like HBO, Cinemax Showtime to download movies through Apple TV, like the new service because all their channels you can download everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So anyway, so I did a lot of free trials. Oh, by the way, one little tip about free trials. When you sign up for them, go do you know this? No, cancel it right away. Just go right into subscriptions on your iPhone and cancel because you still get it till the end of the thing. Now. The only one I noticed that does not let you do that, Apple, Shame on you is Apple News. They say su as you cancel, it's over. So that one I do have to cancel after before my month is I think it's a month, right, yeah, But all the other ones, Cinemax do cancel su as you sign up because you don't forget, just go right in and you still have it for the week.
Speaker 3: What that reminds me because I signed up for one of those gym things. It's like you can go to a gym ten times.
Speaker 1: For oh okay, I don't know, gym pass or something, and yeah, well good luck canceling that from China. Oh all right, you have another question?
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, So next question is from Teresa Malone.
Speaker 3: Is this a scam? Is the subject?
Speaker 2: I just go I just got a telephone robocall saying that Microsoft is going to automatically deduct four hundred and thirty four dollars from my bank account for support on a Microsoft product. The recorded voice asked me to press a number for a reason that I don't remember.
Speaker 3: As I was so freaked out, I hung up after that.
Speaker 2: I believe this is a scam, as I have never given Microsoft any financial information.
Speaker 3: Is this real or a new way to cheat people? Please look into this.
Speaker 1: This this has been going on for a long time. The Microsoft scams are like a dime a dozen they are calling. I mean, we've done stories on this on KTLA for years. I've been talking about Microsoft scams for I don't know a couple of years, like five six years. So here's the thing. It's not Microsoft. They're not scamming anyone. But here's the thing. It's a company that touches a lot of people. So a lot of people have a computer that has Microsoft on it and they need tech support whatever, and so you just think like, oh, I have a computer and Microsoft is calling me to say I need help or I got to pay this fee or whatever it is, and you think like, oh, okay, like I think that that might sound legit. And given this person, she obviously was hiped to it and was like I don't remember signing up for that. But they're just doing a numbers game. So they're just getting a lot of people, you know, doing millions of these robo calls. And if one person falls for it, which by the way, I know someone personally that called me frantic saying that they had fallen for this and they gave their credit card number and all this stuff over the phone, and they go halfway through they realized like, wait a second, what am I doing. The person took control of their computer. So this is a scam. It's just a new twist on an old scam. So I'm not sure where this scam is because she said they wanted to charge her like four hundred and thirty dollars, Like where does it if they're like, oh, let's confirm your credit card number and maybe you give it over again, Like I be like, come on, let's you know. I don't know how this scam works exactly, Yeah, but clearly they're trying to get money out of you, right, so weird And.
Speaker 2: I mean like they must the scam must know that she has a Microsoft product or it's just random.
Speaker 1: It's totally random. They're just if you call, you know, if you don't if you use a Mac, you're sitting there. I don't have a Microsoft computer, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've definitely seen Apple, Like obviously it's not Apple, but like again, like it's easy to like make an email look like it's from Apple, and it's all you know, A couple letters are changed in the email address and that's how they get people.
Speaker 1: And the other thing they're doing with Apple on the Apple side of scams is built into every iPhone is the phone number for Apple. So what the robo callers do is they spoof Apple's phone number call you from that number and then it comes up on your phone Apple and you go, oh, this is Apple calling me so clearly, and they say, like you need to read your iCloud or whatever. And that's a really good scam because you know, in every iPhone, built into the contact address book is the Apple phone number, so you have to just spoof that and your iPhone looks like Apple's calling, So watch out for that one if that ever happens to you. But it's so these scam artists, I mean, this is why they call them scam artists, because they try these things and they do work and people fall for and you know, it's one of these things where it just happens, and it's been going on forever, even before there was I mean, scams have been there forever, you know, whether it was back in the day when they sold like, you know, oil with a snake oil, you know, like all these things like vitamins, I mean whatever. Yeah, still scam. It doesn't work. It's someone's selling you on something, right, And.
Speaker 3: You're haney hammies, Are.
Speaker 1: Those a scam? Well, Megan, are you? Are you dissing the hair gummies?
Speaker 3: Well that's what like the Kardas vitamins in there. I'm sure there's something in it. Can't prove it, Yeah, you can't prove it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's talk about the food in China. So number one food here, I'm you know.
Speaker 3: Me, Well, what did we have for dinner last night?
Speaker 1: I know? Well Italian? Yeah, which I look, here's the thing. I'm a very simple okay, So I'll tell the story. So we go to this place that's just around the corner here, and you know it's an Italian restaurant, which whatever, I mean, It's fine. Look, I eat a lot of food. It's like you're eating every day of your life, like you can't just I'm not gonna have authentic Chinese like every day of my life, right. And I've had fried rice since I've been here every single day, and I've had other weird little things that like not that that's weird, like other like I've tried one little random thing off the buffet every day that like I wouldn't normally eat, right, like dragon fruit. I know, Yeah, I didn't try anything like noodles like I had. I had spare ribs yesterday, like at Disney. We'll talk about Disney in the moment, Yes, but I had spare like, and it was like bones, I'm like pulling bones.
Speaker 3: Out like I mean, it was you know, they don't care about bones here.
Speaker 1: They don't care about bones here. Everything has bones. They just somehow they just yeah, get through the bones. Yeah. So we went to this place last night. There was an Italian restaurant and I'm I'm getting a pizza, right cause I'm not a weird eater. I eat like pretty basic. I eat like steak, potatoes, chicken, salmon. I know, I'm the worst. I don't eat anything weird. So same, you're much more adventurous than I am. So I get a pizza and I asked the guy because it was a pizza that had it said the description was margarita or sauce, garlic and chili paste. And I was like, oh, that sounds good. I asked the guy. So just making sure this has cheese on it, right, And he goes, sorry, it's a pizza of course that has cheese. And sure enough, what happens when I get my pizza.
Speaker 3: No cheese, no cheese.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Megan over here has this giant pizza with three different types of cheeses and like double sausage or no double pepperoni. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was literally covered in pepperoni's. And I asked the same waiter. I was like, oh, so is this good, Like have you had this before?
Speaker 2: And he was like, well, if you like pepperoni, like you'll like it. And I was like, oh, okay, well, yeah sounds great and it was amazing. But it was literally like triple the amount of food compared to Rich's pizza.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had a diet dinner. I mean I felt great. So the other thing we went to was luck In Coffee yeah, which is I don't know if I'm saying it right, but luck In or luke In. But anyway, so we found luck In Coffee, which by the way, didn't exist until like a couple of years ago, and there's like thousands of them everywhere. And I gotta say it was good. I had a Macha is that what it was called? Like, that's like a green tea freeze or something. They call it an X freeze, right, which is a frappuccino basically so good. It was really good, Like it tasted so much more real than the green tea frappuccino I've gotten in La Yeah in Starbucks. Yeah. So and I'm not like a big green tea person either, but I do like it. I mean it's nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, green tea definitely tastes better here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it makes sense. I feel like they know their tea here. Although did you have any tea while you're here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've had well, not like fancy.
Speaker 2: I could have had tea this morning at breakfast they offered, and I said, no, I'll stick with coffee.
Speaker 3: But I've had tea like in my room and stuff.
Speaker 1: It's funny because even though you think of China like growing up as like a tea culture, like you don't it's not very overt, like you don't see tea everywhere. It's not like tea houses everywhere as far as I saw, right, but there is like tea like in a. I guess it's kind of offered everywhere, but it's offered everywhere in the US.
Speaker 3: Right right.
Speaker 1: But yeah, anyway, so we did that. Then I went to McDonald's. I know, I'm just the world traveler here, but I love going to like a McDonald's and other countries because I love seeing what's on the menu. So I totally took a little video of like what they have there, and it was pretty random. Like they had some really interesting like stuff that we do not have at the McDonald's in the US.
Speaker 3: And it was like super nice too, right.
Speaker 1: Oh so nice. They're so friendly, like they're just oh that's the other thing, like so friendly, like they're.
Speaker 3: Just so welcoming.
Speaker 2: Like I mean, if I was a tourist that visited La I would it would probably be like an opposite like experience.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they you'd be like, oh, Americans are the worst. Yeah, which they kind of are sometimes. All right, let me tell you some of the random things they had on here. A German sausage, double beef burger, a Seschwan spicy double chicken burger, a Japanese beef ball. Let's see what else they have here, ran I got a cheeseburger, by the way, spoiler alert, the most boring thing on the menu, loaded fries, spicy. Remember those chicken wings they had at McDonald's a couple years ago, it was like a big thing. Well those those are still here, Chris cut fries, veggie cup and Chris cut fries, and a small corn cup which I saw someone actually orders. I thought it was pretty cool. But Chris cut fries. I really wanted to try but this is how this is how lame I am. I was like, I don't want to ruin my experience in case they weren't good. I like regular fries. Two other drinks that were at the McDonald's coconut drink with jelly, and coconut drink with bubble, and then coconut water. I'm guessing I don't know, maybe it or was just bubbly. All right, get another question. Then we're gonna get to Disney real quick, and then we'll yes the last question. Make it a quick question, Okay, don't read it quick like maybe I can answer it quick.
Speaker 3: Okay. Next question is from James E.
Speaker 1: South.
Speaker 2: Hello, Rich, I was given iTunes gift cards and don't know how I can use them.
Speaker 3: Since I have an Android? What can I do?
Speaker 2: Sir?
Speaker 1: No, this is a quick question. My quick answer is to sell him to a friend. I mean, who doesn't need an iTunes gift card? Like, if you got a fifty dollars gift card, sell to your friend for forty You're still making forty bucks on the deal, right, So I mean that that would be my advice, Like, just find a like, literally post on your Facebook page. I've got a fifty dollars iTunes gift card, Like I'll sell it for a best offer.
Speaker 3: We could also can you buy movies?
Speaker 1: You go buy movies, but he's saying he doesn't want to. He doesn't want to, he doesn't have I mean, you could still use an iTunes gift card if you're on Android, like for different things. But nah, it's he doesn't what's he gonna buy a movie for, you know, Like how's he gonna watch it? You know, like probably doesn't have an Apple TV. Yeah, he can connect his account to movies anywhere and do it that way. It's too complicated. He just wants to get rid of it. He wants to unload this gift card done, so sell it to your friend on Facebook, or you can go to raise dot com so our ai s. Have you heard of this? It lets you buy gift cards at a discount, and you can also sell your gift cards. Now, when you sell your gift card, you're not going to get very much on your dollar. So but here's the thing. These companies, and there's more than just Raises the one that I use, so I kind of like it and I have experience with it. There's other ones that work the same way. But this is the thing the whole market is. If you get one hundred dollars gift card from a store that you don't use, right like sharper image. Let's say I don't even know if that exists anymore. Let's say you get that. You don't care if you get eighty dollars for that, right, because you're still getting eighty dollars cash. You don't care about the value of that card. You're not worried about one hundred dollars because you never use it. It might go to waste in your drawer. So that's how these companies kind of work is that they you know, they're basically not praying on but they're they're catering to the fact that you don't care if you get fifty bucks for this hundred dollars gift card, right, and then they go and they sell it for seventy. They pay you fifty. You're happy they go and sell it for seventy. The person who buys a seventy dollars gift card or one hundred dollars gift card for seventy is also happy. Everyone makes money in that scenario. The person who loses out is Grandma who actually spent one hundred dollars to buy the gift card.
Speaker 3: Originally a business.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's a big business. Okay, So let's talk Disney before we go. So we got to go. Megan hooked us up with Shanghai Disneyland, and by hookup, not out of your pocket, but you contacted Disney and you said, hey, rich would love to check it out, and I'd love to check it out. And so they were very nice and they hooked us up with tickets, which, by the way, are a lot cheaper than Disney tickets in America. So we did our thing and we went to Disney and it was Disney Shanghai, which is pretty new. I think it opened in twenty sixteen, and number one great. I love new places, right it was. It was really nice and it's like little like shiny, like that's how different, so different than than Disneyland. Number one. The line to get in was absolutely bananas.
Speaker 3: It was a complete nightmare, to be honest.
Speaker 1: It was no it was very organized. It was organized, but it was just it was not a nightmare. It was just waiting in line. That was the worst part. But once we got in the park was amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, park.
Speaker 1: The rides were phenomenal, like they're all brand new, so all new technology. So we went on the first ride we went on, by the way, we had to buy the fast pass bundle, which was I don't know how much it was, but it was like one hundred bucks, let's say, yeah, and it really it paid off. It gave us six rides for the one hundred dollars that you get to go right on. And the first one we went on was Tron, which.
Speaker 2: Was just amazing, so cool, so futuristic, like just walking to the ride.
Speaker 1: Yes, just the way they built this place was amazing. I would describe it as a space mountain, but a kind of a bigger It kind of was outside and inside. It was in the dark for most of it. It was fantastic. That was awesome. The other one that was really cool was the Pirates of the Caribbean.
Speaker 4: Oh that was like the reason why you really Disneyland, and it was the way I described that is if you if you have been on the I believe it's the Transformers ride at Universal.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, it's like kind of a screen but also like you move.
Speaker 3: Move and then there's like graphics. Right, But this was like on another lovel This was.
Speaker 1: Next level because you're in a boat which is huge, by the way, compared to the boat at Pirates in La or Anaheim, and it is just it's so smooth. It's amazing. I mean, it was amazing. It was really a feat that they accomplished.
Speaker 2: And the Pirates at Disneyland is just like a boat that's just moving, like it's not on a track. This boat was on a track, so like it was moving you at the right times, and like it was flipped. It literally flipped around and we went on a drop backwards which.
Speaker 1: Was like turned around. We didn't flip over, but we turned around like you went backwards basically at one point on the ride, which is it was. It was amazing. They really did a great job on that one. Like that was worth Tron and Pirates was worth the admission that we didn't pay, I know, but still if you paid admission, like we paid the fast pass thing, which was expensive, but it was worth going for those two and to see the park. The park is just beautiful. Everything is double the size of America, Like the streets are double as wide as they are you know in Disneyland, and it's just I mean, the food was good, Like.
Speaker 3: Obviously there was a huge crowd, but like the crowd split up.
Speaker 5: Like the way that they engineered the park was absolutely genius because whenever we went to a restaurant there was no line, so like there were so many restaurants and they were able to accommodate definitely over like three hundred thousand people that were there.
Speaker 1: Wait, how do you know you just made that You just totally made up that number. You have no idea.
Speaker 3: I asked you, how many people do you think?
Speaker 1: I don't know, I just made that up. It could have been one hundred. I have no idea how many people were in that park that day, but it was a lot, and it was That was great. The other ride that was really fun was the train, the seven Dwarfs train, because again it was like Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, except brand new. So the train is signed, but they add like the effect of the train sound. It is so silent. You're on this amazing track. The technology they have now for rides is just so so way ahead of what we had twenty years ago, you know, So it's just it was amazing. I loved it. My lunch was not very good. I got like something weird that was not That was the low point of it. I did get good popcorn they have. They had really strange popcorn flavors. I got caramel because I'm of course boring. But they had crayfish, which is like I remember Louisiana crawfish. It's like probably like a crayole thing.
Speaker 3: Oh okay.
Speaker 1: And then they had strawberry popcorn, which was we didn't try. We're so boring.
Speaker 3: We both want just like plain popcorn, and they're like, yeah.
Speaker 1: They wouldn't sell us plain popcorn. They don't sell plain popcorn there. As far as I could tell, it was only flavored. Anyway, Disneyland was great. Thank you Disney Shanghai for hosting us. Shout out to Vincent, who, by the way, was awesome. A lot of the people there do speak English, like a lot of the help but not well, actually that's not true. A lot of them didn't, but a lot of them they knew.
Speaker 3: Like the main words, like if you said, you.
Speaker 1: Know, restaurant. But Vincent totally spoke English. And I asked him, I said, dude, how do you speak such good English? And he said I did my residency or whatever in Anaheim like he basically worked in Anaheim, and I was like, you're amazing, Like he was so nice, he was on point.
Speaker 2: So he was like a lot of people in China, well, a lot of people do speak English, they just don't have the opportunity to use it, which is the same as like I learned Spanish in high school and I hate speaking it because I get uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: That's what he said.
Speaker 3: He said the same thing.
Speaker 1: They don't want to speak English because they don't want to mess up.
Speaker 3: You know, embarrassed and you know. So, I mean, that's interesting to know. I'm sure maybe our drivers like knew what we were talking about.
Speaker 1: I hope not because we were making fun of them, just kidding, d D. All Right, this has been a lot of fun. We are headed back to the States. So thank you China. This was great. I mean, we talked about the good, we talked about the bad, we answered some question I thought. Overall, the rich On Tech Special Edition China Podcast was awesome. Yeah, and thanks to you for listening to the show. It continues to grow, by the way, So you guys obviously like what we're doing, so we're going to keep the format the way it is. I think Megan is going to stay as part of the show. Is that cool with you? So you like the questions keeping coming? If you have a question, send it to me. You can go to my website rich on tech dot tv, or you can send it to Hello at rich on tech dot tv. Just put in your subject either way podcast question and we'll do our best to answer it. And thanks so much for listening. If you haven't subscribed already, do so. Just search rich on tech in your favorite podcast app. That could be Apple podcasts, that could be pocket casts. Overcast is also a really good one. My book is called one hundred and one Handy Tech Tips for the iPhone. It's on Amazon and paperback. It's for iOS twelve, iOS thirteen. Yes is coming out, so Megan knows. I've been struggling with the fact that I will probably be writing rewriting my book very soon. So that's the last you'll ever see of me. Don't forget to sign up for our newsletter. It's at richon tech dot tv. Producer Megan. I always ask did you enjoy the show?
Speaker 3: Yes, I enjoyed the show.
Speaker 1: Do you enjoy China?
Speaker 3: I really liked China.
Speaker 1: Are you ready for the twelve hour flight back.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think so. I'm just going to sleep and watch.
Speaker 1: TV and movies and have those little tiny drinks you always like. All Right, I'm rich tomorrow. Thanks so much for listening. Have a great day. We will talk to you. We'll soon