Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning. The Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: Morning.
Speaker 3: Everybody is the j n V. Jess hilarious, Charlamagne the guy. We are the breakfast Club and all the roasts in the building as well. And we got some special guests in the building.
Speaker 1: Yes, indeed, we got some family.
Speaker 4: We got rocks and teas.
Speaker 5: This is people's childhood in here. Yes, Hampton Institute. This is all my family. I'm just joking.
Speaker 1: This is all my family.
Speaker 4: Got a j rocks and turns.
Speaker 6: Welcome guys, going on.
Speaker 4: One O six in park.
Speaker 3: You got our childhood, our adult life growing up.
Speaker 7: Definitely mine. I'm so excited happy. Does it feel like.
Speaker 8: Older than talking about my childhood?
Speaker 1: It was child children people that was on TV that two thousand.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, I was going.
Speaker 8: That happens all the time. You were in the store and people got walkers and the like. I grew up watching you.
Speaker 1: I was like you were grown like.
Speaker 9: That, especially because 'all were connected to some of our favorite artists and a lot of people saw them in different ways. For the first time. With you, guys, I skipped school to come. Remember y'all used to have the line where you would line up to get in it was like first time. First I skipp School in Delaware, got on the bus to New York to come and watch one six of the Park. You know, I got there, y'all wasn't even filming that day, crazy and I got home and got my.
Speaker 8: News.
Speaker 10: We were live every day.
Speaker 9: I didn't know as a kid, I didn't know that. I was like, oh my god, I'm going to one six apart.
Speaker 11: Like yeah, but y'all all celebrating twenty five years wow with a reunion had to be to you, Yes, what's that gonna look like?
Speaker 2: It's gonna be special, It's gonna beautiful. I don't think all four of us have been in the same room.
Speaker 12: Maybe Free couldn't make it. She really really wanted to be here, but she couldn't make it. I talked to her, and she sent her love to everybody, and she cannot wait to see everybody for the BET Awards this morning.
Speaker 1: You can't wait.
Speaker 2: So it's gonna be amazing. It's gonna be great.
Speaker 3: You can always say what ever was better, the Free and aj Era or the Roxy and Terrence j Era.
Speaker 4: I'm just just curious, what.
Speaker 1: Are you talking about?
Speaker 2: Free? Free was iconic.
Speaker 1: You got it all longer than us.
Speaker 13: Listen, you gotta so so in order to understand one O six you gotta understand technology and communication. Right, the world was changing from two thousand to twenty fourteen, all this new technology, you know, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube and all of these things. Yeah, we're coming on the scene. And so one O six in Park was the global for all of this. Right when they started. If you needed to see the number one video in the world, you had to go to BET's one O six and part Now the New Artists one O six in part the Breaking Stories one on six and part Sports, Fashion, Technology, everything One on six and Park.
Speaker 12: Was the hub for and so we wouldn't be there, wouldn't be what we were without Free and AJ at the end of the day. So you know, we always tell them like they're the originals, they're the ogs, I don't you know. I think different generations grew up with different hosts, and so everybody likes to pick favorites. But when it comes to all of the hosts together, we just know that we're part of this amazing family that you know, was able to be such an influence on the culture that you know to this day. To be honest with you to this day, I still get more people that like are from the one O six and Park family that are now our A list celebrities and stars that come up here, you know, because of those connections from then that you know, they still they stick with you for so long. So we're just so appreciative of the foundation that we were able to come from and build.
Speaker 11: And there was no platform for black and brown people, like especially not a prime time when that was getting.
Speaker 4: Numbered at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah back then, and there was.
Speaker 8: It was crazy because we honestly didn't know what we were creating. You know, I was a club promoter. I was throwing parties where everyone come on.
Speaker 9: Yeh was Apparent criticized me about being out and he was like he never got a side.
Speaker 1: Time he was outside.
Speaker 8: I used that Wendy hosts, Oh my god, what is my Wednesday night at Cheetah?
Speaker 1: Kevin used to come remember before my time.
Speaker 4: That was actually taking at one of your clubs.
Speaker 1: That was not I was.
Speaker 3: That was the radio when Charlamade was sitting on the about the host this morning.
Speaker 14: You know, you were promoting.
Speaker 9: So you were promoters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, New York was mine for a long time.
Speaker 9: And Okay, so from promoter here in New York to Park d Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because so what happened was BT was looking for a host.
Speaker 8: At the time, they already knew Free well Free was already picked and actually shout out to George Daniels. George Daniels George's music room. He introduced me to BT executives and I took them around and that's how it all happened. Took him a couple of the parties and then they had me auditioned and literally like three weeks later, I was on live television Green Crazy.
Speaker 4: How diff was it for you because you didn't have any history in that.
Speaker 8: No, not at all, not at all. I mean it was it was crazy. I mean you, I was got a lot of hate you had. I can't even remember their names. The morning shows were coming out after me, remember it.
Speaker 11: Was, but honestly had Predator.
Speaker 15: No.
Speaker 8: But honestly, I gotta give it up for Stephen Hill because he had my back. And then, long story short, the same dude that was talking out at mess I ended up running into him at the garden and he's.
Speaker 1: Like, well, you you know, what's all fun and games? Will you manage me?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 8: I was like, aren't you the same and what happened was BT to just put a big spend with them, but they were like they had a commercial to get me fired off the show radio.
Speaker 1: It was crazy, it was But anyway.
Speaker 4: I took care of that for you light work.
Speaker 8: No, but there's but to answer the question, to go back to this question, there's no competition, There's no. I mean honestly, these two people right here held it down for a longer time and with a lot of pressure on them. So to be able to do that and to hold it down with style and grace, gotta like take my head off.
Speaker 11: To them, not seamless defferientated and make the transition process.
Speaker 2: We were gone. So yeah, there.
Speaker 13: They were already gone and Julisa were super gracious and mad Links and everybody that was you know around at that time.
Speaker 2: We're gracious, but it was challenging.
Speaker 13: You know, we stepped into these iconic shoes with people that we grew up watching. So there was a lot of initial hate.
Speaker 10: And we came from.
Speaker 12: Nowhere because we were part of a new Face search, you know, a competition, you know, challenge. So it was like Ence and I really leaned on each other because we both knew that nobody understood what we were going through more than each other because we never had done television before. I came from a radio background and he did radio as well. But you know, like we want a contest to host the biggest show on a network, and that was a.
Speaker 13: Big had thousands of dollars of student debt to pay back from from North Carolina and tea and was sleeping on Fred's couch at the time down in his basement, and so we were sleeping in the car. We were just trying to hustle to make it and we just had this dream and ambition and so to see the show go to where it went and to be a part.
Speaker 2: You know, we were a part of all.
Speaker 13: These iconic moments, all of us, right from when Michael Jackson passed to when Barack was a senator, when Obama was a senator.
Speaker 2: You know, all of these.
Speaker 10: Yeah trying to make out.
Speaker 2: With and it became so anywhere we went with Aliyah, you know, Corey Bryant, like all these.
Speaker 16: Listen all of the blind Fury moments.
Speaker 1: China.
Speaker 9: I about to say what happened to Like, are y'all still watching those people who used to come through the Free freestyle Friday movement and like, like, what where are they att Jim?
Speaker 8: Like Jen, I've contacted him on on social media and stuff, and he's big in China.
Speaker 4: He had recently.
Speaker 13: You know a lot of these artists are still doing it. And then a lot of these you know people that will come on the show turns into DJ Khaled, you know, like it became a hub where different DJs, different music, personality, dance competitions that pros like everybody would just come to one O six when y'all.
Speaker 11: Left the show, A J to b T even tell y'all, did y'all find out on my space?
Speaker 1: Like she said, yeah.
Speaker 9: Because from what I read leaving the show was you there was behind the scenes, like you felt like creatively.
Speaker 7: It was online and stuff.
Speaker 9: It was creatively it was But why.
Speaker 8: Yeah, why it was time? I mean back, No, it was time. I'll just say that, or can I say, maybe there's a book coming out.
Speaker 9: I don't know, possibly we'll finally get the answer maybe.
Speaker 8: I mean, the answer was it was time for me personally, it was it was time. I made the decision honestly that evening it was my last contractual day, and yeah, I walked in the you know how to do the prep office. I walked in office, all the producers there. I was like, it's my last day. Whatever we're prepping, it ain't gonna work. And they thought I was playing because I played all the time, and that was actually my last day. And it was crazy because I still remember Mariah Carey shake it off. It was like the new joint of today and that's what I was like, I'm making the right decision.
Speaker 1: Did you in free playing?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 12: What can I say something real quick about free though, because you guys asked the question about the transition free Free has always been that the a girl's girl, and she reached out to me because she knew. She was like, okay, girl, there's the curse of the couch amazing and this is what's gonna happen, and this is what she's gonna go through and free handheld she she held my hand through a lot of stuff that went there. So so nobody get and and all of the girls we're all close, but like the women in one O six in Park have always kept in touch and like to this day, I mean, Julia and I just went on vacation. Kisha Chantey and I go to the same nail salon and you know see each other.
Speaker 10: Me and Free talk all the time.
Speaker 12: So just for for for for reference on that, like kudos to Free because she really really really looked out for all the girls and for us. She always calls us free angels. She's like, y'all are my girls. I'm like, all right, Free, but but you know, she just she really is a girl's girl and really really really looked out. I mean even to like who the best hair makeup person was, like those things that you don't know, you know, especially when you're not on TV, you don't know these things.
Speaker 10: So she yeah, shout out to how long did it take.
Speaker 1: Y'all to get chemistry?
Speaker 11: Like between y'all you and Free Agent, also between you and Terrence Rocks.
Speaker 10: Ours was kind of instant.
Speaker 12: Again, we came in through new faces, so we came in through a whole different Roxy was.
Speaker 13: Really easy to work with in that way though, you know, it was seamless. So and again it was that the world was just different and we were so hungry to just be able to pay our rents on time and just be able to you know.
Speaker 2: Do these interviews.
Speaker 13: And so yeah, we were having fun our life was changing. We were in our twenties. It was it was great. It was a great sign when I look back.
Speaker 10: At it, Yeah, it was fun.
Speaker 12: No, No, I like it was again like Terrence and I were a different situation because there they really didn't have to be a chemistry test. We were so happy to get the show and like I remember we had the phone call with Stephen and he was like, so y'all are the We're.
Speaker 10: Like wait what?
Speaker 12: And I had the worst audition process that whole week, Like it was terrible. So the fact that he even got to where where it was, but so you.
Speaker 16: Didn't even know you had You didn't even think that you had it after after auditioning, not at all.
Speaker 12: Well when we because it was like ten of us that didn't you face this? And then they picked five to stay on the network. So even to have made it to the five, I was just like what, like, you know, this is crazy a blessing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then grew up watching you know.
Speaker 10: You never thought. We didn't even know that that was up for grabs.
Speaker 12: We didn't know that they were looking for the new host of One of six. We had no idea Tiger and Julisa were.
Speaker 11: Doing the thing also when it was when it was you, Terrence, Alicia, Renee Lamore and Julsa, they just.
Speaker 10: Said Jalsa wasn't part of your faces.
Speaker 8: Shed big tigger right after us because they had to, like literally that next day they had to figure it out because I was not supposed to leave.
Speaker 10: Shaming.
Speaker 1: I don't remember shit, man, god bleck. One thing I got to say about both, but you in Free Chemistry. How did y'all develop it?
Speaker 8: It just I mean, it happened from the first time we did like a test interview till the first time we were on the show, I mean honestly, and then the first guest busting rhymes was it was, you know, it was a lot of fun. When it really clicked, I think honestly was they surprised us with Whitney and Bobby like we had we were doing a read and they had Whitney and Bobby walk out behind us without telling us. Wow, And it was it was crazy because Bobby's from Boston and Whitney's from Jersey, so it was like it was just like a crazy, amazing moment and it was just like, Okay, we're doing something because we didn't like it was it was crazy. We were up one hundred and six part and you know, if you've ever been in Metropolis studios, it's just it was different.
Speaker 11: I never felt like y'all was hosting the show, which was a good thing, you know.
Speaker 8: To me, I felt like I was hosting a party party every day for people at home.
Speaker 13: I went back, I watched your First Break on air, and it was good from the beginning.
Speaker 2: Like from the it was horrible. No no, no, the initial.
Speaker 13: Break at least it's on freeze ig page. It was like the show just had a thing about it. And like I said earlier, there was just a global connection that was happening at this time.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 13: You got kids from Japan, you got kids from London coming to Harlem coming to fifty seventh and tenth to see this show. And you know these stories from Delaware driving down. It was just all connecting. And then it birthed so many different things. So now when I meet you know, Speedy Mormon, or I'm sitting down with Pretty V and they're telling me, hey, we were watching you and Roxy growing up, or we were watching a j and Free, It's like it's so amazing that it's just transcended time and so many people have been able to, you know, build careers and do creative things and make money and feed their families, you know, off of this show. We had amazing producers, amazing people you know, behind the scenes working hard every day to make it happen, and we had the best fans in the world.
Speaker 2: That was the best part.
Speaker 4: Because Ros was his I remember, yeah, first guests like It's.
Speaker 1: Bust ronson.
Speaker 2: Jamie Fox, Janet Jackson.
Speaker 1: Jesus.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 2: I was sleeping on the couch.
Speaker 13: I didn't have an apartment in New York yet, so I was still there homeless. When I interviewed Janet Jackson that day, and I remember, like me and Roxy we had our dressing rooms were right there. We was like we were just so nervous and and it just, you know, we still can't believe that.
Speaker 10: We're Everything happened so fast.
Speaker 12: We literally got the call and then it was like, you guys have to be in New York and like not even like two weeks move And I'm on radio in Chicago at the time, and I'm like, I got to move my whole entire life, like this is this is happening, and this is happening fast.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 12: I started doing I was doing my radio show from a studio at at the fifty seventh and eleven studios, so they gave me a radio room and so I was broadcast. I would do hair, makeup, go down, tape my midday show for Chicago, Go back up, do one oh six in part, go back down, tape more shows like I was pre taping a lot of shows, and then we would do and then so many things started happening in between one O six and Park. Then we had one O six in Park Radio, so we would tape that in between one o six tapings and stuff like that.
Speaker 10: So so yeah, they did.
Speaker 2: Exist.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, Well so when.
Speaker 2: We look at all four of you are are are.
Speaker 13: Doing such amazing things, and the diversification of your brands is it's phenomenal. At that stage, it wasn't like that.
Speaker 10: It wasn't like no, it was you.
Speaker 2: Remember the conversation, would you be started?
Speaker 1: I told you to diversify, do all the stuff?
Speaker 2: Yes she did, Yes she did.
Speaker 13: You were always very you know, gracious and very you know the way you pass the torch, you take like everybody like it was it was a lot of well.
Speaker 1: He took it to another level, absolutely.
Speaker 8: Honestly, because I remember the conversation privately, I've said this to you, and I'm saying it publicly like you literally took it to another level, and that is a beautiful thing because it opens up for so many people. And I know you, you know, you walk the street and people are like, I'm in I'm in news because of you, I'm in entertainment because of you. You know what that show did. Probably the craziest thing, and this actually happened more than once. I had a guy come up to me and literally almost break down in tears and say he's alive because of one O six D.
Speaker 1: He said.
Speaker 8: It was like he wanted to be inside to watch one O six and all of his friends were on the corner, and they shot up the corner and killed all of his friends. So literally every one of his friends died.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. He was like, I'm the only one alive. Wow.
Speaker 8: So just the impact of bringing kids inside from.
Speaker 1: The inn, you know, because the streets are crazy.
Speaker 9: At times about to sit down and watch it. I looked at a funny to take a hundred six hundred thousand views per episode on minimum. You guys were having during a Jane Free on one on six apart including according to Google, that's a lot of people sitting at one time, and.
Speaker 11: You had to watch it because it wasn't no internet, so there was.
Speaker 1: No social media. It was no Internet. There wasn't like you know, teams and all that stuff. Really was crazy.
Speaker 8: The commercial. I forget who made the commercial. I loved the members because the kids were dropping the back.
Speaker 16: So when I was in elementary school, we used to play They used to play it for us in the cafeteria on a projector like you know you hear like Jim would be everybody's favorite. No, lunch was everybody's favorite period because we used to watch One of Fun and eat our food. Well I never eat the food was trash, but one six o'clock was cater time, lunchtime every day.
Speaker 11: That explained so much about Baltimore.
Speaker 6: Listen in prison, you can't there was you could have me when it was like.
Speaker 4: We used to get crazy jail man. Well like that.
Speaker 10: Story, you don't get no more, you jealous, you don't get no more.
Speaker 17: Guy Drew, I Drew, and I got questions. I'm a crazy, honest story.
Speaker 8: I was at an event that believe was there Martha Stewart was there, I shouldn't be telling the story and on and I, you know, interviewed Martha on Extra a couple of times, and I was like, I know Martha, She's super cool. So I brought her over and I was like, definitely is Martha Stewart. And Martha was like, oh my god, I love bet. When I was locked up, that's all I can watch.
Speaker 2: Comic view.
Speaker 1: It was. It was. It was a hilarious moment.
Speaker 9: It was a y'all deal with because I was just saying before y'all came in after one or six apart, the only place I can think of it has those cultural moments that people remember good or bad is breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: But now now, but now.
Speaker 10: You guys really are like everybody.
Speaker 12: I was like, one of like the breakfast club is the is what you know right now?
Speaker 10: It was you guys just f y culture.
Speaker 8: Highlighting definitely highlighting us unfilteredly is something that I don't think America has a lot of right now, and you all do it in a great way.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Chemistry.
Speaker 10: No.
Speaker 9: I brought that up because I was saying, we now we got the internet, so it's like when moments happen here. It's super huge, y'all. It was happening on TV. But then like turning TV off, you go home? Or did you what? Or not?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 9: How did y'all handle those moments? Like I know there was like the webby thing that happened roxy Terance, you walking off stage rocks y'all here together now, we would love to hear about that as well.
Speaker 12: But Sash handling those protects me at all costs, And that's what I'm gonna say, And I'll protect him well at all costs. And I don't like, I don't like bringing up anything that was like, that's not what I want to remember from the show because that's not even worth our time.
Speaker 10: Right now.
Speaker 12: The show was more about celebration than it was about drama. So those three one hundred and sixty days or whatever, because we were a three sixty five show, you know, it was always there's always things that would happen. But if there's one thing that I could say about this man right here, is that he protected me, you know, at all costs.
Speaker 13: Listen, you know where it's such a celebration now, right and when when you bring up any of those things, it's all love, it's all love.
Speaker 12: There's no hate, and there's like there's no beef now like never was back then either beef.
Speaker 9: When I when I saw the report not well and looking at it now as a person that's doing this, and I saw the Webby thing, my first thought was, whatever happened, it had to be a protection thing on that on your own whatever part. And the reason why I brought it up is because I think people don't understand. Like you said, you were sleeping on the couch and you got the job you were working already on and boom, everything happened in real time. You just have to adjust to being in front of everybody and figuring that out. It adience in front of a yeah, live audience had to be tough. So when I'm seeing you know what I perceived as a protection thing and you kind of just said that in front of the world, I don't know, how did you guys mentally? How are you dealing with that at the time, because all the kids.
Speaker 13: Did, look, we'll pivot out, but listen for me, Rocks like it was, yeah, anything that had to do with Rocks, he was always protection things. But shout outs to Webby, it's love, man, this has been you know decades Worreld adults. We were growing up live on television daily, our level of emotional intelligence, our.
Speaker 2: Growth as human beings. What we were dealing with.
Speaker 13: It was we were literally growing up in front of everybody's eyes. So obviously we made mistakes. Obviously there's there's there's growing pains, there's things that we learned. But when we look back, it was this beautiful journey and time, this beautiful thing that we got to celebrate together. And when when Scott Mills and the team said, Hey, we want to celebrate twenty five years of one O six and Park this year at the b ET Awards.
Speaker 9: And we're going to pivot.
Speaker 2: Money talks.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 11: But I do remember when you walked off the stead you said it was a publicity stun yea, you know, because I don't want people to.
Speaker 1: Think that was a real thing about me and him.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 13: Yeah, we were blurring the lines of reality. This is early reality TV, right, we were blurring the lines. Me and Roxy were sitting in Steven's office and was like, why don't we, you know, try this is a scripted thing we were coming up with. Creative people were talking about it like it was you know, right, so it was Yeah, me.
Speaker 2: And her have always been right here.
Speaker 12: It was never was never, ever, ever ever between me and even to this day, like protect him at all costs.
Speaker 2: You know, and we never hooked up.
Speaker 13: And the only reason why I bring that up is because Roxy is such a professional that you're such a professional.
Speaker 1: Let me let me, let me, let me say this. Someone said, let me say this before y'all.
Speaker 13: Well, you know what with women in it, about the way.
Speaker 14: He's handling the interview right now, she's.
Speaker 9: No, because that's the moment she wants to understand why you took it away from a real quick he threw it and he took it away.
Speaker 1: Go ahead and finished, Terrence. I know what you're saying.
Speaker 13: To be said, you know is the show was special and we're just so happy that we get to celebrate.
Speaker 1: It twenty.
Speaker 10: Twenty five years and people still want to come.
Speaker 1: People still talk about it.
Speaker 7: Every day, right, do you know? I'm one of them who want it back.
Speaker 16: But do y'all feel like, honestly it would be a success in today's digital like I do.
Speaker 8: And I bumped back against And it's crazy because the TV execs have arguments about it all the time. If a video show would still do well in a world where there's YouTube, and I honestly believe that it would, you know.
Speaker 1: But that's just my opinion.
Speaker 8: Video A lot of people like people because video free, but the conversations.
Speaker 4: And before you honestly could get videos then.
Speaker 8: No, no, no, but listen, it's above that because back then artists had to come and talk about their video, they had to come and talk about their music, and it was like segments to that, and I think that honestly improved the music. Like labels were like, we can't, we can't, we can't put this out because we gotta. They're gonna end up on the couch talking about this. If you think about some of the stuff that's out now, could I have three segments with an artist talking about what they're saying on that record. I think it improved music. But I think that's necessary and needed. I don't know if it's one o six in part, but it's a show that's needed.
Speaker 16: And then also on one of six in part, where people wasn't even really realizing. We were so excited about it, and I still would be, but they didn't even play the whole.
Speaker 4: Music video any.
Speaker 3: Twenty seconds rights it.
Speaker 16: Was about the segments that y'all had, the people y'all had, the energy between y'all, Like how y'all just made it even, like how y'all would show y'all audience sometimes and I'd be like, oh my gosh, I used I was cracking.
Speaker 7: On people a long time audience like it was so many things.
Speaker 8: We had some time when there was no audience members like we had sometimes we had a school upstairs Metropolis. We would literally pulled students down sometimes because we didn't.
Speaker 1: Have any audience.
Speaker 8: Like this is at the beginning, Like we would do a show and it'd be nobody in the audience, and they would do can tape of an audience before and we would have to have all the energy and we're talking to nobody.
Speaker 1: So it was there was a lot of things.
Speaker 7: That you don't even know.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the stories are crazy.
Speaker 11: How did it feel having at least at least for parents and Rocky? How did it feel having more fame than probably money, because I'm sure the Fames shot off faster than having actual bread in your pocket.
Speaker 13: Yeah, you know their their financial literacy wasn't a conversation of discussion. I didn't have a bunch of financial mentors at that stage of my life. So when you're when you're famous, right or people recognize you for what you're doing, because the famous is word I don't love to use. But you don't have the funds. Now you have imposter syndrome right now, you're trying to keep up. This is when the birth of a bottle service in the nightclubs popped off. So you're you know, you're you're trying to wear things, you're trying to buy you You're trying to do these things, but you don't have the means.
Speaker 4: To do it.
Speaker 1: It was back then.
Speaker 13: Yeah, there was a lot that was outside.
Speaker 2: There was.
Speaker 10: Going to your spots, no greenhouse.
Speaker 13: Yeah, but the money, I mean, you know, it was a I mean it was a cultural evolution.
Speaker 2: So it all, it all came really you know fast.
Speaker 3: The dop thing about I would say is not not your era. But we were all coming up. I feel like New York in the two thousand and two thousand and five twenty ten was a bunch of people coming up at the same time. So we all ran with each other, and I just thought that was dope. We all looked out for each other, we all cared about each other. We all moved in the same circle. So it's like watching y'all now, It's like it's like your brothers and sisters to me because we were all there, we were in fights, we were doing it like we.
Speaker 4: Did it all together. And thank god there was no cameras. Back in the table.
Speaker 1: Everybody fight me.
Speaker 2: I don't even remember what happened. I don't even remember what happened.
Speaker 11: I used to be on Wendy Show, and I used to be gunning Terrence and Roxy right, and so I was up there with Wendy.
Speaker 7: Being messy, just like your golf father.
Speaker 11: Trying to shake my head, and I said, I can't shake your hand because I know I'd be talking about you and that would be fake of me. Terrence sat down, you put his hat on the back because he said, you know what, yeah, I respect that, but it ain't me.
Speaker 1: Is that really? You want to put you in the face with what you're be saying about my co host?
Speaker 11: I was like, bouck you up in here, and then everybody was like, y'all go in the bathroom and talk. And that's what we did. You went to the bathroom and talk. But he was protecting Roy. He ain't even came what I was saying about him.
Speaker 15: Crazy will always be off right right before the fight, ya.
Speaker 11: Me and Terres never fought in the fight. Now, I would help Terrence when when you left.
Speaker 2: The room, it ended with a hug.
Speaker 13: I have so much respect for Charlemagne then and now what Charlemagne has done is incredible, And it was it was respect, and I think that started our friendship. It was like we had that moment and then we wrapped it up and it was so much respect after that and show together.
Speaker 1: Right Terce was he paying it?
Speaker 2: It was me Ball and Angeli the union.
Speaker 11: A lot of it was jealousy, though, I'd be honest, like I remember walking up to Terrence one time at the mission when I was in Harlement Mission Impossible and I had just got with Wendy, and I don't know why I wasn't appreciating my blessing at that time because I'm windy and I'm like, yo, one day, I'm gonna take your.
Speaker 2: Job for no reason.
Speaker 8: But honestly, that's speaking to no, no, no no, But that speaks to what I was going through back then. But I never like, just like you didn't know, I didn't know. I wasn't in the industry. There were a lot of people that wanted that television shot.
Speaker 1: So when we got it.
Speaker 8: When I said there was a lot of pressure on anyone who's in those shoes, there were a lot of people that wanted to be on television field, Like I did the work.
Speaker 2: I deserve, Yeah, you know, but I hadn't done the work.
Speaker 1: I was just hating.
Speaker 2: But I remember that. I remember that, and I but I didn't take it like that. Man.
Speaker 13: I when I saw you and looked in your eyes, I saw that there was a hunger there, and I saw that there was as an ambition there, and I just felt like, as black man, it wasn't our job to tear each other down.
Speaker 2: I'm happy that you're come.
Speaker 1: And get it, motherfucker.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 4: I did.
Speaker 13: It was New York was competitive, and you know when we walked down the street, it was this is a different side of TJ.
Speaker 4: Because back then would get into it.
Speaker 7: Like, I can't imagine.
Speaker 9: You are your Greek to you Q, we're both okay. So even that when you got on once you came across the line, the HBCU connection and things and that, how did that help back then? Because it's so prep Like everybody talks about HBCUs and something now, but then when it wasn't as talked about. How was that connection then, knowing that you had.
Speaker 2: A bro it was.
Speaker 13: It was having Omega Soft Fi with my back was unbelievable, coming from a black college, coming from ant you know, being a member of Omega Soft five. And then the BRAS was like behind you know, supported Roxy too. So anytime we would do events, it would be all all of my line brothers would be there, show up, like we didn't have security back then.
Speaker 2: And so yeah, we we would we would be.
Speaker 13: Hosting on TV on a Friday, and then we would be you know in Detroit, New Orleans, Baltimore, Carolina, Carolinas, all.
Speaker 2: Over on the weekends.
Speaker 13: And it was the frat that was like moving around with us supporting from.
Speaker 1: Them to.
Speaker 9: You.
Speaker 12: But it's like that was another thing that was really special during during TJ and I time, Like again we came together totally new. Terrence had Fred and I had Chantelle and it was US four like and for those that know to this day, it's still US US, it's still US four. So yeah, we had an amazing We had to have an amazing friendship system, support system around because all of our friends, like to what. To MB's point, we were all doing this for the first time at the level that we was doing it at, Like like when we were DJing in Boston, it wasn't even like at the level of what we were growing at. And at that time in New York City and Charlomagne two.
Speaker 10: It was just different.
Speaker 12: We were all trying to really really get it and hustle, and there was no YouTube, Instagram, get found virally. You had to have talent. You had to have you had to know how to do the job, so.
Speaker 10: They don't have talent you And.
Speaker 11: Terrence was always so embracing while everybody else was hating. Like so it's like I met Terrence after we had that incident, I'm like, damn, he actually cool And me and Rocky ended up living in the same building.
Speaker 1: Roxy gives me a copy of The Alchemist.
Speaker 11: She embraces me like like, I'm like, hen, why the was that having hating on these people?
Speaker 9: Well, you're angry little.
Speaker 1: In the day.
Speaker 11: There's a lot of people to your point that was just hating and jealous, but they won't admitted. They might admit it now, but back then it's like, who are these people on TV? And I'm not just get them.
Speaker 9: Up under?
Speaker 4: Yeah that's what they call.
Speaker 2: Went down and.
Speaker 11: Free told me to tell y'all I love them deep and ain't nothing like being a part of the one O six fam alongside A J, Roxy, t J, Tigger, Ju Lisabout and Keisha. See y'all at the award show?
Speaker 1: You did?
Speaker 2: Yes, what are you doing that?
Speaker 1: She told me to keep asking a J where Free is? She said, No, I know she gets that. How many times you get asked? I get.
Speaker 4: Up times that all the time.
Speaker 8: It's just stuff times where he's gonna change give me in Africa like weirds treat, He's gonna.
Speaker 12: Change Free during free time, Free was Free, her her name and her she was like one of the most popular oh yeah, names of I don't know what list it was that came back in the world like three like Current.
Speaker 1: America, Freedom of King. The King magazine covered with Free on the front.
Speaker 10: Damn yeah, absolutely K magazine.
Speaker 1: Wow man, So your question the twenty fifth Oh so what are you guys doing?
Speaker 4: What are you guys doing for.
Speaker 2: Wards?
Speaker 4: What are you guys doing the BT Awards.
Speaker 2: To celebrate hosting the show?
Speaker 13: No, no, no, we are celebrating twenty five years of this landmark show, BT's one O six in Park. We have a lot of surprises, there's going to be a lot of special announcements, and it'll be the first time all the hosts are being coming back to be on stage together.
Speaker 2: It's going to be a beautiful reunion.
Speaker 13: And we're just we're so humbled, we're so appreciative of this time in our life to be able to celebrate this together. It's amazing. You know, I lost my dad about a year and a half ago, and thank you. And when I lost him, it just it really gave me perspective on time, you know, and when you have time to spend with the people that you love, and furthermore, when you have these celebrations where this is not just about us. This is about BT as a network. It's about the culture, it's about the fans, it's about all of you. Like one O six is everybody's show. Everybody voted on this show every day, right, This show means something to so many people, and so we're just excited that we get to all come together. And I can't wait for y'all to see the surprises and surprise performances.
Speaker 12: Man, we got some performances that it's.
Speaker 1: Really getting honored.
Speaker 8: Honestly, I gotta I gotta take my hat off because I was there from the beginning of BET to where it is now, and for BT to do this, I think it's it's pretty amazing, you know, to give tribute just to the whole franchise and a whole it says, It says a lot, and it's just like Terrence said, it's just an amazing thing.
Speaker 1: For that to be happening, I need a documentary documentary that in the works. In the works.
Speaker 9: So I want to talk categories. Yes, so best new Artists and album of the year categories. I want to talk about that right here on the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: It's easy call that's artist. It's not even close.
Speaker 4: That's new artist is Doughy. I agree she should be in the category, right, I do see her.
Speaker 2: List.
Speaker 9: So let's read who we are for the best. Y'all are welcome to take this. That's new artist we have?
Speaker 2: Uh what she?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 9: So the best new artist we have Eric already start artist Star, Biggest the Plug boss Man, d Lo, D Bills, Thank you D Bills. Leon Thomas October London, Shaboozie, Teddy Swims, and it says for one, is that uh for one of the group from New York?
Speaker 1: Not sure?
Speaker 13: You know, this is a tough category and so many of these artists have been around and and it's just so many talented people.
Speaker 2: Uh a lot of Yeah, Thomas is October London.
Speaker 10: Teddy Swims. My goodness, we have.
Speaker 1: Performing the Eagles won the super Bowl.
Speaker 7: Party Restar is another one.
Speaker 10: Love Iris Stars, So that's a that's a They're all there. It doesn't feel like.
Speaker 1: This is a politically.
Speaker 12: Here first on the breakfast, I don't even feel like it's artists because they've been killing it.
Speaker 1: So you would.
Speaker 3: I like Shaboozie. I think Saboozy has had a hell of a year. His record was big. He's performed that Country Awards and Crossover Awards added all him.
Speaker 4: I like Shaboozy. Teddy Swims, but black I love Teddy Swims.
Speaker 9: Tyn't feel like I it's Teddy Swims.
Speaker 18: Want to be upset that boozy you get the white guy Teddy if he had a good a good year, I love, I.
Speaker 1: Would do, I would do.
Speaker 9: You're going big extra plug?
Speaker 1: Pick one you like them all get I do like you so like big Plug, Like.
Speaker 9: What about album of the year, So we got some sexy songs for you Draking Party, next Door, eleven eleven Deluxe Es, Christie Brown, Alligator By Never Heal, Our Girl, Doci, Cowboy, Carter, Beyonce, Glorious, Glorrilla, gn X, Kendrick Lamar, hurry up tomorrow, the weekend, and we don't trust you future at Metro booming.
Speaker 4: Category is real good?
Speaker 9: Political is whoever doesn't give answer?
Speaker 1: It's only between two for me, only one for me. Yes, only want to answer for that one. What you already know g X, you had the best year, Kendrick Brown.
Speaker 2: For so many years, taking like.
Speaker 1: The best year.
Speaker 2: Than that you finished.
Speaker 13: But Beyonce's right, So that's that's my answer.
Speaker 9: I mean, Kendrick, he's on tour now, Kendrick or do Yeah.
Speaker 10: I did not stop listening to Kendrick's.
Speaker 2: Album, especially in this moment. I mean it's kind of like, but I.
Speaker 10: Loved Chris's album too, and not even lie to Chris. This is challenge.
Speaker 4: And like you can't switch.
Speaker 12: I would say this, I wish that there there are a lot of times and and I'm glad that I'm still able to cover carpets and still work in this industry.
Speaker 10: I tell like a lot.
Speaker 7: I told.
Speaker 12: I'm like, thank you, I told Gloral, I said, You're the kind of artist that makes me wish I was still on one O six in part because I would have had so much having you up there, because it would have been so some of the artists today, I wish we still had a platform like one O six. It would have been fun to at that time to interview them.
Speaker 6: It's too expressive, money, too expensive.
Speaker 10: Right now, music on TV.
Speaker 9: Who outside of Globla do you also think that about Let's see.
Speaker 12: A lot of like the afrobeats uh people right now, Like I love Burner, I love with you know, the Veto, Like I'm heavy in the afrobeats right now, Like I really love that whole movement. And so I would have loved to have had you know, them up there like Lizzo.
Speaker 7: We we didn't have to.
Speaker 10: We didn't give a chance to have a little up there. You know, there's so many artists and they Jesus, Lizzo.
Speaker 1: Enter that realm and we can talk about her like LUTHERU. But remember we had a game. We can't do that.
Speaker 2: Respect what that said.
Speaker 13: Early So one on six in part twenty five years, as we celebrate the Breakfast Club, celebrating.
Speaker 2: There's a sign that's celebrating.
Speaker 14: It's early.
Speaker 2: We're proud, we're excited.
Speaker 1: To be here.
Speaker 2: It's a beautiful moment. Get some champagne, let's do and get some flutes going.
Speaker 9: It's the part you told me and just was for us.
Speaker 10: I did it.
Speaker 2: I just I just said. This a lorn and chests moment we celebrated. We celebrate means June.
Speaker 8: Put out there starting the podcast finally out of the Park dot life out of the Park O U T T A uh T h g p A r K.
Speaker 1: Might not like what you do it. You're free to be announced, okay not you're free with free.
Speaker 7: Every episode is actually not here today.
Speaker 4: It's the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: Good morning, wake up in the come morning, The Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: MHM