Speaker 1: This is the me Eater podcast coming at you shirtless, severely, bug bitten, and in my case, underwear.
Speaker 2: Listening past, you can't predict.
Speaker 1: Anything brought to you by first Light. When I'm hunting, I need gear that won't quit. First Light builds, no compromise, gear that keeps me in the field longer, no shortcuts, just gear that works. Check it out at first light dot com. That's f I R S T L I T E dot com. Welcome everybody, thanks for joining. You'll notice something new. My son Jimmy has been on the show before, but he's never he's always had that camera. You were on the show here and the camera was behind your head. Yeah, because we had a prohibition on you seeing your cute little face on screen. But then you hit fifteen years of age, the arbitrary number. You have a learner's permit. What else happened?
Speaker 2: You have something changed in the mind of his parents.
Speaker 1: Yep, Well he got to that age.
Speaker 3: Well that's not totally what happened.
Speaker 1: Oh did you tell me what happened?
Speaker 3: Well, Jimmy was he went on a hunt with you and you were going to share a picture of his hunt, and then all of a sudden and I was cool with that. But then all of a sudden he had like a public Instagram account.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I decided that his age. Remember that remembers that joke, the punchline to the joke I said, I'll tell you the punchline when you get a learner's permit. Yeah, just because that felt like once you have a learners permit. So he got his learn he's just got his learners permit. He's fifteen, and now he can now when he's on the show, he could people can see what the kid looks like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 1: The only thing that happens he got taller.
Speaker 3: It wasn't like a decision. We didn't like discuss like now is the time and this is okay, it's sort of. It caught me unawares a bit too when that happened.
Speaker 1: Just before being I can hide under a rock.
Speaker 3: No, he can't. But the other two kids, so you're do you think the other two kids when they turn fifteen will like, that's the age that's when they can have Instagram accounts.
Speaker 4: Not Rosie, not the girl. No, no, okay, that's not happening.
Speaker 1: The other boy, girl, the other boy. Sure, uh so Jimmy's here.
Speaker 5: This is this.
Speaker 1: He's been on the show. How many times you've been on the show, Buddy.
Speaker 4: Hey kids Trivia?
Speaker 6: Once and then I did one podcast in Wisconsin, and then I did one Alaska, and then this isn't so.
Speaker 1: Oh he's been on the show all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, none other times regular four.
Speaker 1: Jimmy just caught it. Jimmy just caught a nice fish. This spring, jim me and I were out fishing and and I hit a spot and and remember I said, the water talk to me. The what's that Steve's big butthole? The water talked to me and we pulled in and I said, this is where the water talked to me. You dropped your jig down and what happened?
Speaker 6: Caught a sixty five pound holdn mm hmm.
Speaker 5: What did the water? What did the water say when.
Speaker 2: It talked to you?
Speaker 1: It said, come fish.
Speaker 7: Here, Steve, Fish fish, Steve, fish Steve.
Speaker 2: That doesn't sound like the voice of Steve's Big buttle Well, it's gotta travel through a lot of water.
Speaker 1: After it comes up, it's distorted. Another new set is here. It is that is annoying as it is to have seth as a neighbor. Oh, it's annoying. Uh, I'll just paid off, just paid off because people I had bought that. You'd think that would pass through two little pieces of illuminum in a bolt hole, but don't. It's too short. So I went to my neighbor and said, I need stainless steel. I produced that whole pile of them. To have good.
Speaker 7: Neighbors, I'd buy those bolts for going through the chain. I was unsure about length, so I got two different lengths because I knew you'd hmmm.
Speaker 1: Well you could just got one with more thread on it.
Speaker 8: Well, I got two different lengths.
Speaker 1: Well, it will always put them to use. Yeah, Yannis here, Jannis ran. Uh, we haven't talked to yany since this happened. Yannis ran recently ran one of those hundred mile races this morning. He got circumspect about it. Is that? Is that what it's called when you kind of get like you start thinking back.
Speaker 8: Yeah, when you're able to look at it from a distance.
Speaker 1: He was sitting right over in that chair and he got circumspect and he said, you know a thing about it? And I thought it was gonna be something like the mental gaming. He was like the chap ass, like you just can't picture the chap ass.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I think that would stick with you, Like.
Speaker 1: He said, crippling chap ass. There's no way you're going to run one hundred miles without chat.
Speaker 5: Was there something you put on it?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, lots of it. I use a product called Squirrels nut butter.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I've heard of that.
Speaker 2: I think people use a product called body glide whatever. Any some vasoline would probably working. Then it seems like all the time. But if I had to guess every one.
Speaker 8: To two hours, are you are you carrying it with you?
Speaker 2: Or you get yeah, I have like a I had like a little baby one, and I had started with it full and I used it up to the point where at a later ad station I had to refill from the tub.
Speaker 1: So I got where was the bigger tub?
Speaker 2: Traveling with my crew?
Speaker 1: First off, you probably to tell people a little bit what we're saying. You ran one hundred miles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at a race called the Crazy Mountain one hundred, which happened in the Crazy Mountains of Montana, which is I don't know, northeast of Bows when maybe ninety minutes or so, depending on what trailhead. You go, Tom, Yeah, hunter miler had twenty three thousand feet of elevation gain through the into the entire course Mount Everest.
Speaker 5: Yeah. What's ever twenty nine?
Speaker 2: Yeah, somewhere in there, and.
Speaker 1: It was twenty nine. There's twenty eight something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, close to twenty long ways, anyways, that's up there, and yeah, my first one at that distance. Uh, I've done a couple of fifties working up to that distance, and uh yeah. I started on July twenty fifth, finished on July twenty six, thirty three hours after I started.
Speaker 1: Thirty three hours of running, running, and hiking and chat ass kick in.
Speaker 2: Uh, not that far into it mile thirty So I don't know, late in the afternoon, midday of the first day.
Speaker 1: You know, chap asses, young Jimmy.
Speaker 6: I can take a wild guess, picture your button.
Speaker 4: Okay, going like that?
Speaker 3: Does that happen all the time while hunting?
Speaker 1: No, what chapass comes from? Some guys sweaty, Some people just suffer. Some people have debilitating chap ass.
Speaker 3: Okay, do you know I have.
Speaker 1: Had chap ass? I wouldn't say I have debilitating chap ass. And I only get chap ass in hot climates.
Speaker 5: Be honest.
Speaker 7: Is it a common enough thing that you would like see someone on the side of the trail applying.
Speaker 2: Oh you don't stop to apply.
Speaker 8: What do you mean?
Speaker 2: What you just you know?
Speaker 8: You your hand down there and.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you get out your chap ass man go down through or reach.
Speaker 2: You go both depending on what you know. So yeah, you might doclosure. Yeah, like one of my testes like hangs a little bit lower, like I think, like it does with a lot of men, you know, and that one tends to just get a little bit more. So yeah, I would hit that from the front, but mine it's definitely start. I got a couple of theories because this is something I had not suffered from at all for most of my life, even though I had been a runner and it had done some longer distance.
Speaker 3: And it never happened to you, never, not even.
Speaker 2: Kind of no.
Speaker 1: Okay, and hold I got hung up on So one of them hangs down a little bit, Yeah, and that causes chafing.
Speaker 2: Well I think it's chafing on the fabric.
Speaker 1: But one is in his body's not. Yeah, yeah, Jimmy, when a man gets all right, So that's how it makes sure I'm clear Okay, here's your nuts. One is like this rubbing your undies and his body.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is not. It's sitting high enough something something's different, you.
Speaker 3: Know, wouldn't like like sport underwear change that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And honestly sometimes I try to like jack everything up a little bit more to have more support. You know, things are just you have.
Speaker 1: To go Taylor, like I need to have a special sense one side of my underwear.
Speaker 3: Uh talk, So when did you first figure out that that was happening?
Speaker 2: You know it's some other race and uh, I think it was a fit am that I did earlier this summer, and luckily I had this little tub with me at that time, because had I not had it, I don't know if I would have made it to the next AID station. Definitely not running. I would have like limped in.
Speaker 1: And at the age station they have it because it's.
Speaker 2: So oh yeah for sure, for sure.
Speaker 7: What takes people like people that are in good enough shape to complete it?
Speaker 8: What takes them out? Blisters, chap ass.
Speaker 2: Definitely those two things could.
Speaker 1: Can take you out. You know who you know who gets terrible?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: You know what is you're going to talk about? Who gets terrible? Chap ass.
Speaker 1: No, no a thing that where guys going through the buds program. Oh yeah, the sand, the sand in your shorts or the sand in your pants will people will tap out because of it, because of just because picture all those hours and days wet sand packed up in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're like they go running for hours on end without changing those clothes.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's thinking of that. It always seems miserable. I never pictured what.
Speaker 3: You're I have a lot of friends that just like summertime and their thighs.
Speaker 2: Women, Yeah, women deal with this.
Speaker 3: It's not chap ass.
Speaker 2: It's like chap thigh, chap thigh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and there's lots of different products for it.
Speaker 1: And from when your thighs are rubbing on the inside.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like just walking inches apart.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I don't got I don't know.
Speaker 3: Inches apart because well, you don't have like twig legs, but you don't have a lot of.
Speaker 1: Well I just can't picture my thighs.
Speaker 5: You don't have like linebacker thighs.
Speaker 2: You just like, no, you don't have that high ass like Peda Linz.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, okay, so I gotta I just I'm so hung up on the chaca. This is just a miserable feeling. So blisters take you out, chap ass takes you out.
Speaker 2: And I would say probably the next most common thing, just because I've heard about it a lot and it definitely almost took me out, is uh nausey. And I would say that that is connected to what people call it GI distress, and I think GI distress comes in many different forms. You could be have diarrhea, you could be puking, you could just feel nauseated. But people start to not eat because of these symptoms, and then you basically don't have the energy to continue and you just go slowly downhill until you tap.
Speaker 1: So people are getting the shits from the running.
Speaker 2: Yeah, from exertion, and from you know, if you haven't trained on what you're eating. And again, because I don't know the other two hundred people that started it with me, right like, I don't know what they did going into it to train themselves. But I spent time literally eating dinner at home, dressed up in my running clothes, have dinner with my family, and as soon as I was done eating and be like, okay, great, I'm out here, I would run out the door and go out for two or three hours just to train like running on a full belly, hm, and like you know, like I I knew that I was. My goal was to try to eat somewhere around eighty to one hundred grams of carbohydrates every hour, which most of it I took through gels or liquid carbs, like a mixed drink kind of thing, And so I would also train on that. But the problem was with this distance is that it's very hard to train on what you've at. It's hard to train how you feel at mile sixty seventy eighty ninety because you just don't have the time and just getting to that point takes a lot out of a human body, right, and so you just don't know what it's going to be like until you're there.
Speaker 1: Was there a mile that you thought, I don't think I'm going to finish, And then was there a mile at which you thought, I will do I'll do this, I'll get this.
Speaker 2: Yes, I the miles like seventy five to ninety or by far the hardest. It was a bummer too, because those cames like kind of like the second morning, And a lot of people say that that second morning, like your brain kind of has like the oh it's a new day, even though we didn't sleep last night. It's still a new day and we're gonna reset and we're gonna get going. And I did not experience that, even though I was like in my head, I'm like, ah, at any.
Speaker 1: Minute, like some kind of circadian rhythm like y yeah, cause you know, like I don't do it anymore. But Neil days when used to drive, you know, you like go drive like a twenty two hour drive or whatever and just do it. Yeah, you would feel like when comes yeah, coming all a sudden, you're like you feel like something clicks in your head and you're sort of back in it.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, you can make it another eight hour.
Speaker 1: So you were just you.
Speaker 2: Never got no no, I mean I might have, but it was it was short. But uh yeah, I think had I not had my buddy Stephen Brucker with me, who was pacing me during those miles, uh, pushing me along, continue to be very positive, a lot of just like hey, we're doing good, like we're moving, you're it's great, Like you're looking good, just like constant just all of that, and just like hey, have you drank? Have you eaten lately? You should drink some more you should eat some more, and just like making me eat, you know, and just and just keeping me moving along. Like I never stopped.
Speaker 5: I would.
Speaker 2: I did stop to actually take a nap purposely, but I never stopped out of pure just like exhaustion, being like I can't move any far and I can't go any farther.
Speaker 3: How long was your nap?
Speaker 1: Eight minutes?
Speaker 2: Immediately, oh hard. I remember like laying down and being like, he's not gonna let you sleep longer than eight, so you better fall asleep quickly. And I was almost starting to stress about not being able to fall asleep, and then all of a sudden he's like, hey, get up, you know, And so I appreciated that my buddy Stephen.
Speaker 1: That was with me. So he just washed you sleep, oh yeah.
Speaker 2: With a big smile on his face. But what was funny is at the edit, like a trail at.
Speaker 1: A buddies and they're gonna do blank mile to blank.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So mostly in the United States you can't pick up a pacer until roughly halfway, so you got to do fifty miles on your own and then you can start picking up pacers. In Europe there's like no pacers. It's like not.
Speaker 5: A part of it.
Speaker 2: They're like the only thing they do harder in.
Speaker 1: Europe than America, jummy, because they basically like have given up. We still got just Western Europe as a continent is kind of in its retirement. Okay, I know they're kind of kicking it. You don't think so, no, forty, I mean they're kind of wrapped it up. They kind of wrapped it up. My friends just got back from Spain. You told me all about it. They mostly people kick it. He goes as far as my experience in Spain was like people chill, they chill, they eat stuff. Not a lot goes on that is Harrison told me.
Speaker 3: That is a I mean, no offense to Harrison, but the observations of a eighteen year old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, got did gospel.
Speaker 3: And you're going to talk about Western Europe as a whole. What was the furthest you ran prior to this?
Speaker 2: Fifty five miles so this.
Speaker 3: Was like you were going to be like double pretty much. That's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The interesting thing was is that the body felt fine. It really did. I felt durable, I felt good. But at some point at those miles, I was just talking about like the fuel tank. It just seemed to go empty, and even though I was like trying to eat, trying to drink and felt like I was getting stuff in, I just couldn't refill it. And the nausea was just like kind of constant.
Speaker 5: Did you grow up?
Speaker 2: Never threw up? Throw up?
Speaker 5: Through up.
Speaker 2: There was a one time where I stepped off to the side of the trail thinking like, oh, it might be coming, and then I was fine and it didn't come.
Speaker 1: Did it stay fun or did you get lost in this idea that it would never end? No?
Speaker 2: Oh, I got you start to get worried of like, oh am I going to finish because this race has a pretty strict cutoff of thirty six hours, which is pretty short for one hundred miles, like a lot of races have more like a thirty eight or even a forty hour cut off. And at one point Steven says to me, He's like, hey, we're like not in a hurry yet, but like we don't want to make it interesting, meaning like let's not f around because let's like let's get this.
Speaker 7: It'd be such a just a bummer if you were at ninety miles and they're like.
Speaker 2: Oh, just waste your whole day, like a wasted two days. Yeah, well, you can't look at it that way. It's not it's not a waste. I mean, you've still accomplished something by moving that far. You just don't get the belt buckle. But some guy a couple of years ago literally finished like thirty six hours and like fifteen seconds and they didn't give him the finisher's buckle.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: I know it's a thing. It's been discussed, but I'm saying no. When I out all the stands. If I was that guy would and people go like, hey, I heard you ran that hundred mile race, make sure I did. Did you finish, I'd be like, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's.
Speaker 7: Kind of like shooting one hundred ninety nine inch mule deer.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I just can't believe that you. I can't believe that you did that. I can't believe that people do that. That is a crazy distance to run.
Speaker 2: It is it is now you we trailed. Every time I say is, I have a hard time spitting those two words out of my mouth. But we cleared trail a couple of weeks earlier with a fella that had done it twice already and did it a third time, the same when I did it two three weeks ago. And he's a middle to back of the pack finisher, but he's finished it every year but comes in like he was showing me pictures of like his ankles and his feet the first two years. I'm like, oh my god, I don't have to experience that. I mean just like swollen in like sausage toe. Really yeah, like pretty beat up.
Speaker 3: How do you know you're not like totally damaging your body.
Speaker 2: Ah, you don't. I don't. I think the most people, their brain won't let them get to that point. There's few people, like we're talking about this with learning how to hold your breath right when we with with and Jake was telling us about how the only people that will actually take themselves to passing out in the pool are the navy seals, those kind of people that have that mindset that they're like, oh, you're gonna tell me I can't pass out, watch me, and they'll go down there and hold their breath until literally they pass out, right. And I think that there's a small subset of people that will be like, oh, I'm just gonna keep running until someone else tells me to stop. But most people's brain is you're going to tap out.
Speaker 3: But I think that's that's the most confusing thing for me about a race like that is if all running running for me is like misery, so it's all mental effort and say like I can do this mind over matter whatever, Like where's the line between mind over matter? And like you need to listen to your body because it's telling you like you're on the edge.
Speaker 2: It's tricky because you know, as tough as it was for me, the recovery was extremely easy, and so I feel like, oh, I maybe could have hit it a little harder because some people do talk about recovering for months and not thinking about doing something like that again for six months, where right now I feel like I could. I'd want to talk to maybe some professionals, but I feel like I could go tomorrow and knock out another one.
Speaker 3: Do you think you could ever do them?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: Everybody could?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm sure, yes, I think that if I dedicated myself to it and did all the training, I think that based on that I can walk long distances good, I'm sure that I could get there, like and I would have the you know, like when I set my mind to something I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you'd have the mental fordage.
Speaker 1: But I would never commit myself like I would never deprioritize the stuff I'm already trying to do in order to make room to properly dedicate myself to doing something like that. And I would never do it half assed, you know what I mean. It'd be like it'd be like, if I was gonna do it, i'd have to just do it. And if I was gonna but I'm not gonna quit doing all the stuff I think about in order to accommodate that, because for a while, that's all he that's all he had room to think about.
Speaker 3: Is that true?
Speaker 1: Like free time?
Speaker 2: I mean, you definitely spend a lot of time running in preparation.
Speaker 1: But eat dinner and then go run for two three hours? Was that dinner and I go fidle around my garage for men?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: But was that like a good thing? Were you like stoked to be doing that?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I enjoyed the process.
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Sure? Did you keep track of your training miles? Like how many miles?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: I have an app that the coach and I, you know, work through together, and it you know, mostly I run with the watch on and so yeah, but I can't tell you off the top of my head how many miles I ran in preparation.
Speaker 1: Gotcha tell me about the minute you knew you were going to make it.
Speaker 2: Well, so I went through miles seventy five to ninety and I haven't unfortunately, prior to this recording, I haven't had a chance to have a good sit down with Steven to be like, okay, tell me what you saw from the outside, like he in short, he's been like, I think you did really good. I think you pushed it. You didn't you weren't like being a little baby out there and whatever. But it was tough, and like I said, I went through a place of just being like, man like, I'm like losing time and people start passing you, and you're just like, why can't I run? Why can't I run? But we finally roll into roughly mile ninety ninety two. I think where Mark Kanyon was going to start me. And what does he get the closer?
Speaker 5: Huh?
Speaker 1: He got the closer? Well, there was two short.
Speaker 2: You could have. They basically there's kind of a bunch of rules, like you can't have more than one pac or prior to that, but that last section, what do they.
Speaker 1: Feel, what do they feel? What's the difference? Is just trying to police the area, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a little bit of that, Like it's all under four service permits, right, so they have to watch how many people are kind of using the for service during the race and all that. But yeah, I don't know exactly why, but yeah, it's probably a lot of it is just to keep the numbers of people down. But anyways, we roll in there and it's whatever. I've got eight miles to go and it's probably one one in the afternoon. Just send you roll in where into the into the last aid station. It's called hunting camp and then it is a legit hunting camp and an outfit uses but it's set up as an aid station so you basically come out of the mountains finally. And the last eight miles is on a dirt road that's ever so slightly going downhill. You hit pavement and there's this little micro climb that I'm sure for some people seem like a lot, but it's like one hundred yards and it just barely climbs, and then you pull off the pavement onto another ranch and you've got I don't know three hundred yards to the finish line.
Speaker 1: Oh sorry, we had a little mishap. The generator ran out of gas. So if there's a rough edit, that's what happened. Trying to remember where we were, Uh.
Speaker 5: He was.
Speaker 1: Station. Yeah, yeah, don't be asking me no questions.
Speaker 8: Well, what you got to explain that?
Speaker 7: Like why he got to finish white tail hunting questions or like how you feeling?
Speaker 2: Questions any because I don't want to talk because you're out of like at that point, the human runner is out of energy to waste any energy, so you wanted him to talk at you. But yeah, entertained my brain and uh. He was actually really surprised how much I retained. Later he was like quizzing me about what I what we had talked about.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh, yeah, what was he telling you about?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, Mark, he says you're a bookworm. So he gave me like three book reports, and then he told me about the book that he's you know, pretty much finished writing is at the editor now, the first first version. But I can't remember what else. We definitely talked about some deer, so he was just fill in space with good use for me.
Speaker 9: At that point in time. Are you able to like if he said something funny, are you able to laugh?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, for sure. Well it was funny.
Speaker 1: Is that worked to put a piece of surrand wrapped between your butt cheeks?
Speaker 8: I think?
Speaker 2: But a slick thing because this is something that people don't think about, is that if you're not ready when you're applying it, you know, it's just your fingers and then you're not out there exactly with a hand washing station.
Speaker 7: Well that's what I wanted to get back to, like the whole like uh sanitization.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no, So I would come into the eighth station and high five everybody and the I'm like, now that we've done that, you guys all want to sanitize your hands.
Speaker 1: Because I've had my finger and my buttets.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know one of the funniest things that just get back to the race. But we're you know that that dental floss called Glide. I remember we were talking about that and my brother Danny was giving it a bad review.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it doesn't glide.
Speaker 1: He said it was He said it's like wiping your ass with saran wrap, which I always thought was a great visual. That Glide stuff like it doesn't get the gunk out.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: I think it depends on how close your teeth are together.
Speaker 2: That's true, because.
Speaker 1: People it's a little too thick. So Mark's talking all about these books.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's telling me about books. What's funny is that right there leaving you got to climb up this little hill.
Speaker 5: I forgot.
Speaker 2: It's a little bit of a bigger hill, and I was just gonna walk up it. But Jennifer's like, they're there at the AID station. But they're like, but we made another a station at the trucks at the top of the hill. And I when I when she says that to me, I'm like, why did you make an AID station, Like on top of another hill? You're gonna ask me to at this point walk up like a bonus hill, because to me, it sounded like, oh, we're gonna take you off of the trail up some hill to where the cars are, where we have this nice AID station and then you can come back. I'm like, I'm not going up some hill. And she's like, look at me, like, what are you talking about? Like right there where everybody else has to go, We're like right off the side of the road. And then I understood. Anyways, we get up there and two things happened. One, you're out of the mountains, so you're off of the crazy mountains. The trails are extremely rough, like there's a lot of trails that they there are signs that stay like do not take equestrian animals on these trails because they're just so loose and on many just little rocks. And when you're twenty miles in or even you know, thirty forty, you're just like, dude, just kind of hopping and skipping through them and it's no big deal. But when it gets themhile eighty and your brain is like looking at just this like trail full of rocks, and it's just like your brain's like, we don't want to contend with that anymore.
Speaker 8: One like one bad step ends the race.
Speaker 2: Right, well that could be too, but you're just having to work for every step, you know. And uh, Like it got to the point where you could see like people were actually running in the grass, cause just like running even through those like Bunchie grass, which no man, everyone wants to hike and bunch grass when you could be on a trail, but people were like purposely you could see where they'd been running in the grass. So you're over the rocks. And this is something I had heard is that people say, yeah, once you get down to that road, your body, your legs, your brain is like, oh, you can run because you don't have to think about it. You can just go. And so there's that. And then Stephen also gave me a couple of tile and all, and I'm like, telling all, I'm like, I'm not really hurting. He's like, it'll be good, trust me. And I almost didn't take it because I'm thinking, like, oh, I'm gonna take these two tilenol and then the nausea and then these two things in my stomach that I'm not really prepared for and it's not gonna be good. And he's like, no, I think you should take it. So we start walking and I give him up mark my speech. I'm like, we're gonna just like we'll run a little bit, like we might run to that next tree and then we'll walk and then we'll run and we'll just kind of feel it out and see how it goes well. We start running and I'm like, uh, this feels pretty good. And then my buddy Cooper comes by and he's jamming some wu tang in the truck like super loud, and I kind of get that and a little head bob going and I'm like, oh okay, and we start clipping and we've been passed by two groups, but they're like maybe three four hundred yards out ahead of me. And all of a sudden, I'm like, Mark, we're gonna take them down. And when we go buy him, we're not stopping and we're just gonna keep going. And the next thing I know, we knocked out those eight miles in like I don't know, it felt like ninety minutes or less, like we zoomed and like I felt great, Like by the time everybody caught up to me that was racing up basically passing us to get to the finish line to be there, like they're like looking at us like whoa, yeah, let's go, because we were like actually running. We almost caught another group. We bumped them. It's the funny thing that Steven says, just like how you bump animals sometimes and then they.
Speaker 1: Start to see you coming.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well we bumped these this pack of three pack of girls, and I was closing in good, like I made it to like one hundred and fifty yards probably and then all because they were doing the same thing that I had. They were like, we're gonna run and then walk, run and then walk, and we're to take that all the way to the finish. But once I bumped them, they went running all all the way.
Speaker 3: And so that was like a combo of the Wu tang, the til.
Speaker 2: And all and the road.
Speaker 7: Did you feel the talent all hit your system or you just felt you just.
Speaker 2: Felt you know, I sure wish I would have taken the tile and all like a mile eighty I guarantee you I will have some with me. Yeah, next time I would get to eighty mile.
Speaker 3: That is the anti inflammatory one, right, A state of menifin is anti inflammatory. Yeah, so I'm sure it just like maybe calmed your body down with it. Huh.
Speaker 2: Could be a lot of different a lot of different things. Again, when your body's at that point, you don't know how that stuff's affecting, right, So.
Speaker 1: This is this is something you're gonna start doing.
Speaker 2: Uh, maybe you know that if there was no kids at home, it was just Jennifer and I, Yeah, I'd probably do a whole bunch.
Speaker 1: But it takes a bunch.
Speaker 2: It takes time, yeah, because the thing that even like within the maybe the first day after, probably on Sunday, I didn't do too much time rethinking about the race because you're just kind of in this euphoric state where you're like, yeah, I'm a little beat up, and I'm definitely fatigued and tired. And I had what I described as a very lounge lizard day where I would sort of like go from bed into the kitchen like eat as much as I could possibly could until I kind of lost energy, and then I would sort of like slump down and I would either make it to just the carpet or maybe I would make it to the couch or back to the bed. And I just did that rotation all day long. You know, obviously there's like a bathroom break in there too, but like you're not going anywhere. I forced myself to walk to the barn and back one time, just like move my legs. But by the next day you're like, oh, how could I have done it better? Where did I mess up? What were my mistakes?
Speaker 5: Was it?
Speaker 2: Could I have taken talent a mile seventy? Could I have done more coke? Could I have just pushed a little bit harder. Was I being a little baby? There? I have done it?
Speaker 3: Did you just say? Could I have done more coke?
Speaker 2: I drank more coke?
Speaker 1: You'll set a lot like coming off a five six hour hall of It jig. Yeah, you know the outstairs Like I've been there, you're out there. I mean you just trying to get through. Yeah, six hours jig.
Speaker 5: It's tough.
Speaker 2: Sometimes, Well it's amazing.
Speaker 1: How at night you're like, how could we have done better?
Speaker 2: Yeah? How Like I'm like, if Stephen wasn't here, I would just d n F right now, you know, Like I had thoughts like that come through. I did not finish when you just pull yourself out, but like I don't dig you to quit. Well, that again, that's because that's something that I wanted too much into it. That's something that I would like to explore. I don't know if it'll be the next one I do, but I will know I would definitely I will definitely do one solo. Oh, because I think it's a whole different mindset.
Speaker 3: What was the like, what was the inspiration to do in the first place? Like when did you first say, because it's been like a long held like desire and goal, I'm going to run one hundred miles one day.
Speaker 2: No, Honestly, when I moved to Bozeman, I had done a couple of Veil trail half marathons at that point, maybe three. It was like we had like race series and where Brody and I lived in Veil and I would do a couple of trail runs and all all that stuf. I've started really just to be in shape for September so I could feel like I could go uphill and you know, get to the ridge before the elk did. And then when I got to Bowls, when I heard about this Bridger Ridge run, it's like nineteen twenty miles, I'm like, oh, that looks like a sweet place to do a run. So I did that. And then Rick Smith used to always talk about the rut and he and I would like look at it online and be like that's insane. And then someone's like, oh, no, you could do it. I'm like, oh, maybe I could. So I got a coach and they're like, oh, yeah, well we can get you ready for that thirty one miles in the mountains, no problem. So I did that, and it's just like sort of every distance I've done, I'm like, oh, I wonder if I could go a little bit farther. Going from twenty to thirty no big deal. Thirty to fifty was really I wouldn't say that big of a deal, very doable, but fifty to one hundred was.
Speaker 5: It was a leap.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 9: So now when you look at the rut, are you like, ah, that's that's copcakes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, because you're gonna no matter what the distance, what the distance is or the amount of elevation gain the race has your brain, your body is going to go at a certain effort level to do that race. Like I did a I think it was a twenty five k in Helena in the spring, and it took me, I don't know, three hours something, and like I ran way faster, and but I still exerted a bunch of energy. And by the time you get done with it, you're like, oh, you know, and you're you're done right. You need a day off, And so I think you just you know, you sort of just pace yourself to whatever distance it is. So, yeah, can I finish it easily? Sure? Yeah, I could go do the Reugh fifty k without any kind of problems. But again, do I want to like beat my last time that I did it? Probably?
Speaker 3: You know, Rosie and I are doing the eleven k right right, and that is more ks than I have ever run in my life. I'm really nervous. Hole.
Speaker 2: Ye you're that's like probably six and a half seven like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I've never run that much in one fell swoop.
Speaker 4: Ever.
Speaker 2: It's going to be great, is it?
Speaker 1: I think so?
Speaker 3: I mean, certainly having people in my life that can run one hundred miles and I can talk about it and how cool it is. It's very inspiring for something like that.
Speaker 7: But oh yeah, it kind of like it's inspiring, but it all so like when I'm out running, it kind of makes me angry that is out there running one hundred miles.
Speaker 1: The opposite. Yeah, he does the opposite of pump you up.
Speaker 8: Nice, Like I'm out running five miles and I'm like five.
Speaker 3: Miles is not a short run, and you're doing that multiple times a week, Like that's awesome.
Speaker 7: But it's like because I'm old and I want to keep hunting when i'm old, that's right, Yeah, it's not because I want.
Speaker 3: To Well you're not old, but I understand what you're saying you're trying to keep in shape, and yeah, but.
Speaker 2: This this guy that we clear trail with, Jimy's got a question shake.
Speaker 4: No, just saying you gotta start running.
Speaker 2: He he he said it right, and like it's stuck with me in a time. But in miles seventy five or eighty, it really rang true where he's like, yeah, the first fifty, he's like, it's kind of fun. He's like, the second fifty you find out what you're made out of. And it's like, you can't really say it any better than that, because that second fifty, it's like the first fifties just kind of like the price of admission to get to see what's going to happen in the second fifty, you know, because you can't. You're not gonna know one without the other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, like I'm just here to see what happens later.
Speaker 2: Yeah you are. You're like sceneries great, Like we're in the mountains.
Speaker 1: I know, I got this one. I got the first fifty.
Speaker 2: It's a beautiful long day in the mountains. I had this crazy guy run up to me like I hadn't been done, I had crossed the finish line, hugged everybody that was there helping me and the other friends that had ran it. This other guy, Stephen Graham, who I kind of know a run into him a few times on the trails round Bowman. He runs up to me and he's like, what did you think about that crazy ridge around Honey Trail? When I'm up there, I just feel like I'm following a wounded bull elk And I'm just like, what, dude, what are you talking about? And then he's like, yeah, you know, you're just on that like kind of slopey rolling hill and there's really no trail and it kind of just keeps going and going and going. And I'm like, oh, yeah, I kind of see what you're saying. Like like he just like that's what is in his mind because it's not a great trail. There's just these flags like on this like bunch grass hillside, and it's just like this kind of like you're like, why is the trail here? So it's like a like a like a trail wounded bull elk would take where you're just like there's no rhyme or reason. He's just sort of like traveling here. And but that guy had way too much energy. Well I'll leave it with this. It's amazing how at like ninety you're like, I'm gonna die up here. Yeah, you know, I might lay down and the crows will just pick my eyes out. And then you get done and you give a you hogs around and everybody's like, sit down, what can we get for you? And all of a sudden you're like, oh no, I feel pretty good now that that's behind me. Like I'm cool to hang out and like let's watch everybody else finish and clap and and like all a sudden, your brain is just like, oh, that's behind us, so you can like enjoy yourself again.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Man, that's so cool that you did that. I just I can't even. It's like very hard to imagine running.
Speaker 1: This giant candy sack. Come when the generator went down?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's just appeared.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it would you like it to go away?
Speaker 1: Oh, it's just like a little bit of continuity'd be appreciated. I mean, Phil, no amount of magical Phil. If Phil cleaned up, sorry Phil, Phil clean it feels like no problem, I got the whole thing cleaned up. It'd be like, all of a sudden, And it's also be like.
Speaker 2: I was trying to address it when we when we started recording again, and I was saying that we're kind of like some long distance runners that basically at some point you just turned to eating a lot of sugar.
Speaker 1: So hopefully Phil, no, well he'll know there's no point in trying to clean up the edit.
Speaker 5: Nope, don't do it.
Speaker 1: Phil.
Speaker 4: Can we combine these bags or do you want to just keep.
Speaker 1: Separate candy management here? Yeah, it's like a Halloween.
Speaker 4: I should bring us home and give it.
Speaker 1: Congratulations? Man, thanks?
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks?
Speaker 1: Oh I thought that was cool. Speaking of doing crazy, it's a cool it's a good feat. It's like a you know, it was a real accomplishment.
Speaker 2: Man, it is no. No, I I one hundred percent feel that way. I'm very My goal was number. First goal was to finish, and I always say finished the smile on my face, which I did. Second goal was to go thirty hours. I did it thirty three. It was a lofty goal. I said. I think I could go back now with experience probably pull that off. But uh, yeah, I'm very happy. It's It's like there was at times I'm like, eh, did I do it? Did I do it well enough? And multiple people have reached out and been like, look, dude, that's like one of the hardest ones in the country. It's a lot of elevation, like those trails I was talking about earlier where the footing just stinks for mile after mile after a mile after a mile, and so they're like, look as your first attempt, your debut, one hundred, great job, you know, so I'm pumped. I got my belt buckle.
Speaker 5: I've been.
Speaker 1: Right now.
Speaker 3: Do you get a belt buckle for like everyone.
Speaker 2: Or every hundred? It's like whatever. I don't know where it came from. I should look that up. But it's like a thing.
Speaker 1: Like they stole like Rodeos groove. Yeah, that's not very nice. I want to their own thing, like a headband.
Speaker 9: So you gonna you gotta start dressing like a little western just so you can show off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, why not just give me like a like a headband.
Speaker 7: You should be giving out like halibut belt buckles up here.
Speaker 1: That'd be a sweet belt box. Actually, I don't wear any kind of but I wear a belt. My belt has no metal on it.
Speaker 8: I've never owned a belt.
Speaker 1: I wear all it's all fabric bell crow belt.
Speaker 2: I used to rock a.
Speaker 3: Belt buckle back in the day, you don't anymore.
Speaker 2: You had that fancy belt doesn't keep your fly closed.
Speaker 1: No, I never sit that up. You know what. Well, when I'm wearing my bibs. When I'm wearing my bibs, I can wear my bibs all day. I leave that down. So I got coverage elsewhere totally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was actually running that program today too. But speaking of doing kind of hard crazy stuff, we really haven't gotten to sit down and chat about Africa at all.
Speaker 1: No, you and I have nothing. I've been chatting about it a lot. Yeah, but I wouldn't call it like it's not it's not it's yeah, I wouldn't say hard and crazy.
Speaker 2: I mean, but like you, we were just talking when we weren't recording about how another American has been.
Speaker 1: Killed two guys this year.
Speaker 2: Two guys have keep being killed this year hunting Black Death.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that till uh that's the name. That's the nickname for the KPE Buffalo Black.
Speaker 5: Oh, yeah, I knew it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, two yeah, two Americans killed. The guy just got killed. Now, so we're just debating, like how bad do you feel? Like it's too bad? But part of the allure is it you're hunting a thing that gets you. That's what's so that's what like, it's so enticing about it, so, you know.
Speaker 2: Because otherwise it's kind of like you're hunting a cow.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I had friends that pushed it too long and mountaineering and they anywhere that was going.
Speaker 7: But it's part of that animal is part of the Big Five and all, like the reason they're called Big five is because they're all dangerous.
Speaker 1: You know what I didn't you know, I didn't know you know when people say planes game, Yeah, I was like, well, what's not planes game? The only thing not planes game is dangerous game. I thought there was like like another category, it's dangerous game planes game?
Speaker 4: What about like waterfowl?
Speaker 1: Is that just oh no, no in Africa hunting, well don't they have Yeah, that would be just a whole different cat on. But people say like planes game and you're like, okay, what is not that? And what's not that is dangerous game? Yeah? It's like it's like being around uh like in the end, we had like nothing happened, you know, I mean we killed the bull and watched it kill the bull wash.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's what I want to know about is in that particular hunt, like when it finally went down, were you scared?
Speaker 1: No, not at all.
Speaker 5: Never I was.
Speaker 1: I wasn't. There was points where you're like, oh, I see how this goes. You know, like you're in eight foot high grass and they're right in front of you. You can see the grass moving, you can hear and see the birds, the oxpeckers that are on them all the time. You can hear the oxpeckers and you see them flitting around and they're just twenty yards. You know, You're like, there's a two thousand pound thing twenty yards. It has a reputation, right, But all they do is they just want to They don't like, you know, they smell you gone, but you're so you're aware. And then we're at a spot where they're like, oh, yeah, this is where Roger got you know, we went to the spot and they're like, oh yeah, right here, this is where Roger got. This is where Roger got plastered, and he got it like a.
Speaker 2: Grizzly bear that ninety nine out of one hundred times it smells you and runs and then but one percent at a time it just is like, oh, I'm pissed and I'm coming in after.
Speaker 5: You, I said, a lot of time, it's when they're wounded.
Speaker 1: It really is, like, that's what was unusual that there's a guy from Texas just got killed and in the article and the reporting for the articles pointed out was unwounded. So these guys Morgan knows gout like the trackers. It's it's just they're worried about the wounded ones. But what was pointed out to me, it's interesting. It doesn't mean it was wounded by you. This guy Roger got plastered by one that had been wounded by a lion, right, So it's or they get wounded by someone else yor wounded for some other reason. And so there's just there's a chance that out there are wounded ones. And so there's also that you hit one, and then you got to trail your wounded one. Yeah, and when you hit them, they go into the thickest shit they can find, right, and then you gotta go in. It's either on a rot or you're gonna go in there and find them and that's nerve racking. Or there's always a chance that you're on one and he's something else wounded him. But the trackers are paying a lot of attention to how it behaves. That's just through conversation. They're when they're tracking, they're watching like it's something wrong with it. If they if they're on one it's dragging its foot, funny, not doing the right things in the right places, suggesting that he's got a problem. Then they'll be like, heads up, we're following one that something's wrong.
Speaker 2: With So how did yours go down? Have you already explained this in a different podcast?
Speaker 1: No, how did you know? We talked about a little bit. We we got on a group and tracked a group for a few hours, lost him, got back, got in a truck, went down the road a little ways and saw a bull, just caught a glimpse of a bull moving along. Got out and went down the road paralleling him and kept well. First we went off, tried to find him, parallettle while, looked for him, look for him, looked for him, couldn't find him. Then we stopped. We're doing that little thing like like we lost him, you know, standing there. Uh, it was very late in the day. They they cut where we ducked in at one point and cut a track and saw that he'd already come through. Like we're like, we're like, we know he's going along in a line. So we kind of paralleled along seventy five yards off and at one point cut over to intersect his line to see like had he been through or not yet, and realized, oh, he'd already passed through. So now we kind of went and cut thinking we were going to maybe be in front of him, but they hit the track and like, no, he's already been through here, so he backed out paralleled more and then just nothing was like seeing nothing, hear nothing. And then we're doing that little stand around thing you do, like when you kind of are regrouping, and all sudden heard like a twig and everybody also like like well the twig went snap, and everybody did that like like I just heard something, and and all of a sudden, like everybody stared in the same spot, and all of a sudden, there it's just like there's like he's out, and also there's his head peering how far down through the seventy five yards his head peering down, and and that you could see him playing his day, and at that he kind of turned a little bit. Morgan's like see the see his chin go eight inches down and four or five inches over from his chin and hit him right there.
Speaker 2: Because you get like you can't so you shot him quording to well, I didn't do what he said.
Speaker 1: I was a little off, but it was like, all's well, that ends well because it was high but just went right into his chest cavity, so it kind of almost went in like he's looking at you with his head down. Imagine that he's down like this. Imagine it entered kind of in your where your cheek meets your neck, but just you know, yeah, then I shot it that I then I tried to hit him two more times when he ram but missed him. For the trackers that were the skinners, they never found anything. I shot at him two more times as he ran, but I don't think I connected on him, but the one was fatal.
Speaker 7: And the whole time you're following and tracking them, the most important thing is wind.
Speaker 1: Or yeah, but you like we did too long. We did two like long, like real active tracks following one like you get on them and you're hoping to you're tracking and the trackers know the behavior so well. But it may be kind of very similar like picture you found the elk in the snow. You get up a day break and he's out, like you know where he's not gonna be, Meaning if you're up on some big high plateau right blown off where he's feeding in the snow, it's like, now it's nine in the morning, I know where he's not gonna be. He's not gonna be here, He's gonna be up in that timber hole.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: So you kind of got that right, and they know that it's different because it's more subtle, but they know where he wants to be. So when you're going along sometimes you're like, he doesn't want to be here. And then you get to places where they become intensely interested. So you'll come in and just some little thing like like a thick timber patch and like a little depression, and what they'll know, like what's the sun gonna do? And how much? Because they want to be in the dark, dang, they want to lay down in the dark. They want to lay down where they can see out of their hole, and they're gonna be in like tucked in. So all of sudden, too get where they just stopped, and they stare and stare and stare, and then they move five feet and stare and stare and stare, and then move over and stare and stare and stare because they're like, I think he's in there. He's in that hole. Yeah, And then you look at it from every angle, and you look at it from every angle and you just can't find them. And eventually someone slips around and like he left, he's not in that patch, but he's still not running.
Speaker 2: He never ran.
Speaker 5: Is it over?
Speaker 8: If you bump them?
Speaker 1: Not necessarily we bumped them and went. We bumped one twice, so when you go, he's not there and he didn't run, then you keep on them. So one we get to the end. One the way it ended is all of a sudden, I'm from I don't know, man, not not me, to that sink. But we're like in one of those patches, and they're just they're like, he's here. They just know. They're like he's here.
Speaker 7: And was that at all creepy?
Speaker 1: Like there's two of them and they're he's just here, yeah, And we're in there, and all of a sudden that's and all of a sudden, one gets I gather gets up out of its bed and I can just see half its face and one of its horns and the thing is that thing is not me to that sink. But it's just like right, all of a sudden, that was the first one I got a good look at. I got half his face in a horn and he's just there and it's like it didn't he had zero interest. All he wanted to do was slip out. But you're like, yeah, I see now, do you know what I mean? Like they let you just get on them and sure at some point now and then you know, but he was nothing like that. There was no all the all the tension, any tension that I felt, was all because all the stories. Do you follow me? All the stories? So it's like you're carrying all those tales, right because otherwise you'd be like, what do you like? What is the deal? It's some like giant.
Speaker 7: Bovid looking thing and the trackers aren't throwing off any cues, Like you should be pretty scared right now, Like you're looking at the trackers and they're just cool as ice.
Speaker 1: R y know they do when when one comes, they're down flat on the ground. Dive out of the way, but they're down and they want to be down where they can't get hooked back up and and Morgan, the professional hunter kept saying to the trackers. He's like them, don't worry about them, like they're that's my job, and they're gonna be very quickly. They're gonna very quickly go from being in front of me to be to be in mind because like he's to do with the gun, Like at the end of the day, he's the guy that's putting everybody in the situation, and so it's his job to draw the attention. So like your role as a professional hunter, your role is to all of a sudden be the menacing one. And he wants all eyes on him, Like he don't he don't get to dive down, do you know what I mean? He's got to stay on the ground, Like that's that's what you sign up for. You're like, there's it's just not part of the ethos, do you know. I mean, Like, if it comes, you're there and that's your thing. You don't get to flinch. You gotta go forward into it, and everybody else is expected to like save themselves. He's like, don't do anything. He wouldn't even tell you, don't do anything that takes the attention for me, Like I'm the problem I'm the one up in his face, not you, you know, uh so no, like nothing like that like other stuff. You know, like we had a black we had a run and we talked about this bunch on the podcast, but previously we had a we had a not even a run it. We had an experience with a black mom. But and you're like, holy cow, Like I can so easily see how that goes Yeah, you're like, I can see how that happens with that, with my experience with Kate Buffalo, I wouldn't have come away. Hadn't I had the background of reading and the stories, I wouldn't have come away and been like, I can see how that goes bad.
Speaker 3: I have I have a question, and it's this is not a this is not a passive aggressive nor aggressive aggressive question, and it's for all of you guys that hunt, which is everyone here. Given how we started talking about this because of the two unfortunate guys who died hunting Kate Buffalo, and you were saying, well, you know, it's kind of it's a part of hunting k Buffalo. That's a risk. So you can't really say, oh, it's you know, you can say that it's a bad thing that it happened, and it's sad that it happened, but you can't really say it was totally unexpected.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like it's kind of complicated. I don't want to sound.
Speaker 3: That's not my question though, Okay, oh sorry, that's okay. My question is knowing that, like if you on this hunt were to have expired because you got killed by a k buffalo, Like do you ever think some of the things that you're hunting, Like is it ever irresponsible to go on a hunt, given your family, given other responsibilities you have in the world, Like do you ever think about that before you pursue a certain animal.
Speaker 1: Or no, because none of it's like, none of it's none of it's like that.
Speaker 7: Also, I don't know that, and I don't want to speak for those guys, but I don't know that what in the long run that what Steve did hunting buffalo is any more dangerous than going fishing or like you name it, hunting grizzlies or like anything can get yeah, right.
Speaker 1: Hunting big fishing, big water in small boats. Yeah, but none of it rises up when I when I dudes that have families and die on K two that that I'm like, man, it's kind of weird call. It's an odd call as a dad.
Speaker 10: But they'd probably say, because there's a death for every four summits true, yeah or whatever, right, I think it's a death for every four something Like I'm saying, there is a point there, there is a at which where there's a point where the risk is so high. And I don't condemn him, but there's a point where the risk is so high when a guy dies on K two and you don't need to go on K two. Like when a guy dies on K two and I see that he has a family, you know, I will think to myself, huh, that's like a strange call or call you.
Speaker 7: Made going base jumping or something like.
Speaker 1: I don't know enough about the statistics on it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but I mean I would look at that, it's like, yeah, that'd be a response, like.
Speaker 1: An odd call. Yeah, when you have kids. Yeah, you know, one of the first, one of the first times I ever really stopped thinking about that thing, like like this kind they were talking about is Yannie and I had the good fortune and spend some time with Rourke Denver, who uh was a Navy seal was deployed overseas served in combat zones, combat veteran, and he would always use this. He had this like like a euphemism for death. You know what you would say, if I all, if I fall? And I remember him saying that he went to his mom to say, if I fall, and that was the term. That's the term you use, Uh, if I fall. I don't like, don't. I don't want you to be sad, Like, don't be sad if I fall. And and I don't think that way, but I I it was funny to hear someone where, uh, someone in a certain occupation who had been to such high risk environments. That got to the point where that's how you think about it, m hm, that it's so high risk that you're telling your mom how you would like her to how you would like her to feel. But I, but that's high.
Speaker 3: Risk military service. I feel like, is it.
Speaker 1: Totally what I'm saying? Like that, Like that is like legitimately high risk climbing K two, Like I think like to be like, uh.
Speaker 3: To be not just not just high risk, but like in the service of your country.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's yeah, I'm not what I was getting at. I wasn't there's there's there's zero parallel. What I was getting at was I was what I was trying to capture. There was I was trying to capture, Like what is the mindset of someone who does things that are actually high risk? Right? Like not true, there's you can't even there's there's no you can't equate it at all, like me dicking around hunting with doing something like that. You can't equate it. But the point was, like the way Rourke had such a and maybe it's over now because he's out and his kids and all that, but he had such a comfortable he just arrived at a very comfortable place about it because it's actually high risk, right, Like remember there was a single helicopter crash that killed eighteen guys, including like in the like thirteen, I don't know it was thirteen or fourteen seals all like bam.
Speaker 7: I mean they couldn't do their job if they know, you know what I mean, if they worried about it.
Speaker 1: Yes, super comfortable. A friend of mine, like a kind of a friend of guy acquaintance I had, the guy knew died on K two, he lost most of his friend group. Already very comfortable, like very comfortable with it because it's like there's such a likelihood, like he went once and got injured, one up in the hospital, got better, went back and died. And it's like, I don't there's no thing, is there any There's no thing in hunting. There's no thing in hunting. Uh, there's no thing in hunting that is at that risk level.
Speaker 6: Do you know what the like is there statistic for injuries like k Buffalo? Is it is that even like a.
Speaker 1: I don't know what that would be.
Speaker 4: I feel like it's got to be relatively low.
Speaker 1: A couple of years, yeah, but I mean there's not that many people doing it, but a couple of.
Speaker 3: Year is Brody and Yannis and Seth. Is there any hunt you wouldn't do because of the risk?
Speaker 9: I mean if if there was like all of a sudden, you know, like say you know the Coups deer hunt Mexico, say, all of a sudden, it's like extremely dangerous and like to go there and a lot of people are getting like killed by the cartel.
Speaker 1: Whatever something like mafia stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'd be like, Okay, I'm good, I don't I don't need to go.
Speaker 3: But not the actual so like the circumstances with the area.
Speaker 1: No, okay, answer stuff.
Speaker 5: But yeah, not not.
Speaker 9: Not an animal. It would be the environment, like the you know, it'd be more human element.
Speaker 6: I would say, right, there's some places that I wouldn't like. I'm not experienced by any means, but there's certain places where I wouldn't like.
Speaker 3: Free die at m That's that's an interesting there's areas interesting.
Speaker 1: I had that, but then I went there and it was not fun.
Speaker 2: You took me there, didn't you.
Speaker 1: Well then I went with Greg another time, uh like NorCal stuff, you know, and not. I shouldn't say it was not fun. It was like so much going on, Like it's so much going on, and then there's that you got that stupid shark proof thing hanging off your ankle, shark deterrent that that. Yeah, but you just get used to it. He just does it now and he's like, you don't think about it. There's nothing you can do. You're not gonna know if what if you get hit by a white white shark. He's like, that's relaxing. You're there's nothing you're gonna do. Other sharks, there's stuff you can do. He's like, with that shark, you're not gonna know. And there's nothing you can do, and so I just don't think about it. That's just that's Greg's take on it. Greg dives that. Greg. That's cut it. That's his whole, that's his zone.
Speaker 3: I wish Greg was over here. You started talking about like how does he assess the risk? I mean, I understand that all of these things we were talking, like extreme running or hunting in you know, really wild environments like these are the things that make you feel alive, so you can't be so afraid of death and all the things that you're doing. But like where is the where is the line?
Speaker 2: But again, the odds, like if you're going to start worrying about stuff, the odds are that you're going to get smashed by another driver driving around your town and get killed that way before you get killed by a grizz or a cape buffalo or a great white shark.
Speaker 1: That's like, that's what the psychology is is there's these fantastical things that suck up tons of headspace. So when I took Jimmy dive in the oil rigs in Louisiana, like it's just they're just our sharks. It's not like what will happen if we see a shark. I mean, there's just are every rig. There's just they're there, like bigger than you, every rig. They're just around, And so I then I'm not worried about me, but I'm like worried about something like there's a sort of mental irritation that that'll happen to him. But I'm like, why am I not having a bunch of mental irritation that he'll make a really dumb judgment and get himself in the prop? It's probably like far more likely that you're gonna screw up and someone's gonna throw it in reverse when you're not supposed to, when you're gonna miss here that it's clear or whatever. Why am I not all day thinking about the prop? But instead all day I'm thinking about sharks. But then you talk to the guys you're with and you're like, oh, this that's from the boat prop. This that's from the boat problem. I feel like there's a level of what you're like, but you don't think about boat props because they're not exciting to think about.
Speaker 6: I think it's also what you're like necessarily used to because like I'm just gonna say, we're around a lot more boat props than we are sharks, Like that's a you.
Speaker 7: Know, yeah, I mean the things you can't control are scarier, right, yeah, especially when they got teeth or horns or whatever.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Or you're just like men, you worry about everything all the time, no matter what boat props and your mom.
Speaker 1: You often aren't worried about the right thing.
Speaker 3: Tell me more about that, really.
Speaker 1: Well, no, you probably are like you hanging around here, you know you ought to be worried about.
Speaker 3: I mean, just let's add it to the list getting.
Speaker 1: In being Uh, yeah, you're worried about the right thing.
Speaker 3: Being in little skiffs in the big water.
Speaker 1: It all sudden you're in the water and the boat ain't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's bad.
Speaker 4: Ye.
Speaker 3: I think about that every single time I get in the boat.
Speaker 1: It's just like insurmountable, like you can't swim it.
Speaker 3: I watched one of my kids get in the boat. I think about what would happen? Like, do you think about that today?
Speaker 1: Mabel? She's someone said something about the boat sinking and I said, she said, well, we're dead, And I said, no, we're gonna swim that way. She goes, I can't swim that far. I'll get hypothermia. I'm like, that's true. I didn't tell her. I was like, well, we're gonna stick with the boat, and I don't know, Like that's the thing to pay attention to.
Speaker 3: It's on the radar.
Speaker 1: But when I'm diving around here, and what I'm thinking about, I'm like, I know they don't, but why don't killer whales bite people? Why don't they bite people? That's what I'm thinking about, Like, I know they don't, but what if they did? And I'm not thinking about what if I come up and the boat's gone.
Speaker 4: That happened once.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that happened to be Jimmy. Well, no, we were by the shore. It would just been the sucky situation.
Speaker 6: Well, if we were out in the middle of the ocean, we've been a far bigger problem.
Speaker 3: I mean, you've almost killed me in these waters before they did. You hear about that story?
Speaker 4: Yeah, over Greg's place, he has.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it be like he killed his girlfriend, not the mother of his children.
Speaker 6: There's go pro footage of him like diving around like on the bottom, around that chum bag and sea lions like coming in at Frank's coming in behind him and heads going like here and just going straight past him. Yeah, well, I mean, like those do attack people.
Speaker 5: They swim through the water their heads.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well underwater they spiral like this and like get all close to you and act all aggressive.
Speaker 2: You've seen that in the water, No, but I've.
Speaker 6: I've I mean he just had him and Greg got to happen. I'm trying to stay away from those. I've seen seals. I've gotten pretty close to seals. Seals don't do anything though.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not going to get in the water.
Speaker 1: We had one last talking point. Sorry, go ahead.
Speaker 3: I was just going to say, I think that's when you can picture what people would say when you if you were to die.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, what do you people would be like? I wrote about that.
Speaker 3: I wrote about that, Yeah for the Free Press thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wrote about that. When you're doing things you can't live that way, but you're doing things you just picture like you know, oh that he would bring his children, he would put his children at risk.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, But there's truth to it. I mean, there is truth to that. I'm not saying that that truth should like supersede the other positive benefits that are, you know, gleaned by giving your kids the opportunities to do these really wild adventurous things, and I think as parents we've are in agreement that that outweighs the risk. But it's sad to think, like if you were too, if you two went diving tomorrow and you to be killed, Like what an asshole took his kid out by anything?
Speaker 1: Lost our boat lightning?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I guess this really, But like if you're if he took his kid driving, yeah, that's a whole other story in a you know, in sketchy winter conditions, and then there's an accident.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean there's a I know, there's always yeah, the.
Speaker 1: Like the judgment part that that I don't I'm aware of it. But the judgment part. I got enough problems with something bad happens, Like the judgment part I wouldn't worry about. And when uh, what's kind of funny is we'll close this up in a second. But when the submersible, the Titan, the ocean Gate submersible, when it imploded, I was asked about like and immediately all these people, without even knowing any of the story, all this condemnation, Oh so stupid, what idiots, the Hubrisks. They deserved it, right, And it was like before anyone knew the details, there was a ton of condemnation. I'm gonna be careful of my words here because before the details emerged, there was an immediate condemnation and it was kind of like, how dare you be risky?
Speaker 8: Care you go where you're not supposed to?
Speaker 1: Yeah, how dare you be risky? We're gonna ridicule you for being risky?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: And I almost wrote about that. I was asked to write about it. I was asked to write about risk and like in this sort of thing where it's people feeling like they had to be so safe all the time. In hindsight, I'm glad I didn't because when the story emerged about Stockton Rush, the CEO right of the company, and his attitude toward his own team, his attitude towards safety records, his attitude towards just basically the science of what he was trying to do was negligent to the point that he kind of killed those people, Like.
Speaker 11: He he not quite did he put a gun against him, but like he was toying with the hammer, right, he was playing with a pistol with those guys downrange, like to put it in gun terms.
Speaker 1: So then I was like, man, I'm glad I didn't do what I did because it was something bad. And so there's that there's like people that get into a thing where there's like an inevitability of what's going to come. To bring it back to Kate Buffalo and I respect him. You know. We talked about Morgan.
Speaker 3: Potter, who's wonderful.
Speaker 1: Yep, great guy, family man. But there you're like, oh, so you're gonna track a bunch of those and you're going to track three or four wounded ones every year, and you're gonna do this for thirty or forty years. Oh, I see, that's an interesting choice. It's like it's.
Speaker 3: Also interesting doing that. He was doing that prior to having a family. Yeah, that's like, you know, in many ways, a lot of the stuff that you do, even if I don't like it or if I think it's too risky, you did it before we were married and had a family. So how could I ask you not to do it now? Like it wouldn't be fair. It's not who you are.
Speaker 2: I don't feel like I do risky ship anymore. I just don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't feel like I do risky stuff. Well I just went.
Speaker 3: Run. Yeah, some people could.
Speaker 2: Say, give me a heart attack.
Speaker 1: We just had a We just had a colleague that was for a run and had a tragic accident. Not an accident, but a health you know issue.
Speaker 2: Do I know about this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know about it. You're the one who told me about it. One of our camera guys passed away.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 2: I didn't know the details though, so I didn't tell you about it.
Speaker 1: Oh sorry you said that to me.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, but I but at that point, we like.
Speaker 1: There's a goal funding front. We had a camera man is we had a cameraman, yes, Chldren. His name is Mike Lindamouth. He he filmed. If you watched the me Eater TV show and you saw an episode where Yanni and Night went hundred meal deer for instance, in Wyoming with crooked sky outfitters, like the cameraman that shot that show.
Speaker 5: He filmed, he filmed here.
Speaker 1: He at this table and yep, yep, okay, yeah, he sat in this sat here.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: He was like out on a run and collapsed. So I don't know tons of details about it, but when he was imagining. I hate to do this, I mean I hate to even talk with this someone that recently passed When he was imagining the risk in his life. I don't think he was imagining No, that right, he wasn't looking in that He wasn't looking in that direction. And this is not man. I don't even want to kind of be like being I don't even want to kind of get like philosophical about what his family is going through, like or like draw lessons from what happened to me. Let me, he's totally unexpected, totally tragic. However, there's just there's like the things you are obsessing over, and then there's the things that are going to get you, and they're not the same sometimes for the for the lucky few, they're the same stocked and rushed, the tight and submersible guy. The thing he obsessed over, the thing he worried about, got him, you.
Speaker 10: Know, And most people, some people would say, you know, that's okay.
Speaker 1: He probably would have. I think he would have. Last thought before we close, you guys are wondering why how it came to be that I used to tease you? Guys? I don't think I teased you know you did?
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I think it qualifies.
Speaker 1: Here's what why do why does that? Why do I now have one?
Speaker 3: Guys?
Speaker 8: In those stormy chromers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe the term goofy hat. I didn't know I was teasing something I didn't understand. You want to know what happened, Here's what happened. There's a rancher that lets me hunt his place, and as I do when I get when someone lets me hunt their place, I always like to follow up with a gift. And there's nothing a rancher likes more than a stormy chromer. Yep.
Speaker 2: So him and his cowboy maybe, but I see where you're going.
Speaker 5: So him and his kid.
Speaker 1: So first Light had a stormy chromer, a couple of stormy chromer collabs. So I wanted to get one for the dad, one for the sun. I got one on a warm one, uh, and I got one on the wax cotton. But I want him to come to my house so that I could then package them with a couple of little gifts and send it as an annual thank you. And I got it. And I don't want them to listen to this and think I put it on. But I got it. And I was like, oh, I see, because you order it to your size and in a boat, there's no way your hat's gonna blow off. Door hunting whatever. It's just suckers on there and the bill is the right length and sits just where.
Speaker 8: You It's not too long, it's not too short, just right.
Speaker 1: It's a little bit warm. It's not a hot weather hat. But around Yeah, I'm sure ones have their place, man, the boating around your hat is staying where it belongs.
Speaker 3: I think it's pretty interesting that as a thank you gift you ordered something for two people that you thought was goofy looking.
Speaker 4: That's a good point.
Speaker 1: I thought it was a little bit stolen balor for like. I thought it was like it'd be like if these guys had big old belt buckles. Yeah he does, well, he does now not. It was just like it was like it's like I view it like it's like a it's like a rancher hat, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's trying to be people in.
Speaker 1: The egg industry. So when a guy that is not in the egg and a guy that wasn't in the egg industry, I was a little bit like, yeah doing that.
Speaker 7: I just want to know how long that thing sat there.
Speaker 8: And Steve's like looking.
Speaker 4: At I.
Speaker 5: Knew immediately.
Speaker 1: I knew immediately. I understood why.
Speaker 2: It just happened to be your size that you had ordered.
Speaker 6: Well, you know what's funny. Brodie's son last year at the he was running one. Yeah, and you said it was the greatest hat ever made. And he told me about the history in Michigan and we looked on the back and everything.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: See when I was growing up, still trash talk. When I was growing up, it was like conflicted. I was conflicted here I am. I got the name of hat on.
Speaker 9: When I was growing up, it was I never even thought of a rancher or someone in the egg and she wearing it was always like the north Woods hunters, like folks in Maine, folks in northern Minnesota.
Speaker 1: Was got like, no, no, no, no, maybe Maine, Norton, Minnesota. I would have been like, really, what's Michigan, isn't it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's a Michigan pro Michigan.
Speaker 1: Up again, like hag adjacent. I think adjacent, Like if you were down, I mean, doesn't I don't. We don't spend all day. Let you know something, I'm happy like some guy getting a cranberry scone in Minneapolis. You know, yeah, I get.
Speaker 2: I gotta be like, really, I find it interesting how many people country the stormy chromer to me, is a very like technical, functional piece of equipment, especially when you compare it to a classic half plastic, half cotton baseball hat that most hunters are walking around in the woods in that really, I mean, it gives you some shade. But other than that, it's like the fabric that it's made out of is not very technical. It's if they get wet, they it stinks.
Speaker 7: They don't keep you warm, they don't keep you dry.
Speaker 1: What greater, what greater uh capitulation could there be? Then?
Speaker 5: Here?
Speaker 1: I am.
Speaker 3: I just think I don't hear you say that you were wrong. I wasn't I.
Speaker 5: Wasn't wrong.
Speaker 1: I just I wasn't wrong. I felt that there was like a just the same with cowboy hats. There's there's guys and I don't know, I know what when I see it. There's guys that should have them, there's guys that shouldn't have them.
Speaker 7: So I'm like the stormy chromer. You wake up one day and be like cowboy hat, Like you know.
Speaker 1: Listen, listen, listen me no business in the cop If you ever catch me in a cowboy hat, If you ever catch me a cowboy hat, I would expect you to punch me. Okay, I will never. I have no business in a cowboy hat, no business in the cop.
Speaker 8: I'm just glad you came around on the stormy chromer.
Speaker 1: I have no Yeah, I I have business in a stormy chromer. Oh yeah, you fit the half business in my fur hat. I do not have.
Speaker 3: Business for you while you're wearing it. That is what you're saying.
Speaker 8: He's not gonna he does.
Speaker 1: I spent what I'm on my way to say.
Speaker 7: He's talking about some like hipster with a curated.
Speaker 2: Yeah like.
Speaker 1: And then I you know, listen, these guys I bought a couple for It was a gift. I was trying to think of what what could I get for them that they would like the most.
Speaker 8: I think it's a great gift, very nice. Just never like the hat.
Speaker 3: We've always liked the hat. You're the one who had that hat problem.
Speaker 1: And they're wearing some bitch right now. Now. What I'm not gonna do? Yanni puts an elk Ivory up front. It's not I don't even have enough personality.
Speaker 2: I don't have any with an elk Ivory up there? You do, No, I don't.
Speaker 1: What do you have on yours?
Speaker 2: Nothing, But I will say I just have mind tied in the little bow, and I like, I don't have enough personality for the bow. Well no, but I like what you did because that bow has a hard time standing tied.
Speaker 7: Square not you've committed to never trying to cut.
Speaker 2: It and burned it.
Speaker 4: I did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well he made down.
Speaker 5: You just pull them down down?
Speaker 8: Do they go down without on time?
Speaker 5: Oh? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah yeah?
Speaker 8: Huh did they do that on the wool on?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Why did I never know that?
Speaker 1: Like I could pull off a stormy chromer, no problem, case in point now with a bowl up front? No, no, I think you got me down.
Speaker 3: You're selling yourself short.
Speaker 1: You could bow, you got little bow peep.
Speaker 2: We did see a guy at the State Theater in Kalams, Michigan that I think had a pair of uh wild pig tusks tied into his That's a lot of personality that is.
Speaker 1: I don't have that kind of personality.
Speaker 2: But I liked it.
Speaker 3: When I saw I was like, that's why did Steve think you had? What do you think you had?
Speaker 1: You don't have elk Ivory's tied up on top of yours.
Speaker 5: He does.
Speaker 2: I don't want to lose my ivories, my orange.
Speaker 4: Never wear a hat that has more personality than you do.
Speaker 1: Never wear hat says hello before you do. That's right, like fatherlike son.
Speaker 8: And I need an orange one mine's faded.
Speaker 2: Okay, we've gone long enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people were bored by this.
Speaker 2: What do we have to do now? We just have to eat dinner and get ready to go fish again.
Speaker 8: Huh, hopefully clean some salmon.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the water's laid down. Things look good. We got some bad weather coming in. We got some good weather coming up.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And our crazy little kids going out to the float and are swimming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're always doing that.
Speaker 3: It's not even yeah, should that's something I worry about.
Speaker 1: Risk eighty of Mountain one canoe.
Speaker 7: I can't believe your kids do that.
Speaker 2: All right, Thank you everybody, thanks for listening.