Speaker 1: What's that at the bed. Hey, I'm really sure it's dead. It's coming this way.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, I said byrons.
Speaker 1: Hey boo, it's me Ros dress for less. I hope you are having a wonderful day to day as good as possible. I mean, I don't know if you sold this headline, but there are some people that are stuck in a haunted castle.
Speaker 3: This is well.
Speaker 1: This article was on all different kinds of media outlets, but here's one from Variety dot com. It says Bolivian orchestra stranded in a haunted German castle surrounded by wait for it, wolves during the pandemic. I feel terrible for these people. So this Bolivian pan flute orchestra with filled with young people, I believe I read in one of these articles that think they're about twenty of them, and they were supposed to do a concert in Germany, but then Germany shut down, they were put on lockdown, and then Bolivia, where they're from, they weren't able to go back. So they've been I mean, this was posted on the twenty fourth and it says for the past seventy three days they have been in this giant castle. But it is believed that it might be haunted by Frederick the Great, who is somebody that I actually I looked up and honey, Frederick is serving some tight curls on the side. Frederick's got some iconic hair. But there's a quote from this article. Well, it says the ancient estate was home to German royalty dating back to the fifteen hundreds, including Frederick the Great, who the group jokes is haunting the castle halls. We all joke that Frederick's ghost is following us and trying to trip us up. I don't usually believe in such things, but it does feel as if there are ghosts on the grounds, says Kahmed mar Tayla, a twenty year old member of the orchestra. So you know, if they don't want to deal with the ghosts inside, there are twenty three packs of wolves surrounding the place. So I'm going to keep them in my heart and sending them lots of love, and I hope that it's not too spooky for them. That sounds it's like a movie, first of all, and it also sounds like do you remember that show the Real World? It's like, this is the true story of twenty pan flute musicians picked to live, well, not really picked, stranded to live in a haunted castle to find out what happens when people stop being polite and start getting ghosted. So I would watch that show, but you know what else, you should watch some fantastic horror movies by one of our guests today. We actually have two guests today and these are the last two interviews that actually did in studio back in beautiful Los Angeles, California, in person, and we've gotten a little bit closer to some new projects that would be coming out from our first guest, who is a great horror director. His name is Adam Roubatel, and you know his work like The Taking of Deborah Logan. He has a film called Escape Room and he's working on the sequel. He did Insidious, the Last Keys, just some great films that I love, so I'm excited to talk to him. He's got really interesting insight on the paranormal. So let's listen to that first interview. Here is Adam Rubatel on with the show. Oh my god, Adam, thank you so much for making time you because you've been busy in post production. You're working on the second Escape Room, right, Well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're knee deep in post on escape room too. It seems like the world is collapsing into a world war ze zombie pandemic with the coronavirus sweeping the world. So yeah, it's scary times.
Speaker 1: It's honestly locked it. I'm sorry what I was.
Speaker 2: Just some glad I'm locked in a post production cave right now.
Speaker 1: So but you yourself, you've never experienced a paranormal.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I was raised on a lot of ghost stories. My grandmother was a very smart, progressive person. I mean, she was raised Catholic, but she wasn't superstitious at all. And she's the smartest person I've ever met, really, And she lived in the middle of the lake in New Hampshire, and she saw ghosts quite a bit. And you know, I would say, oh, okay, that's my grandmother being weird. But like one of the famous stories is my cousin John. She lived in She lives in a lake and it's very seasonal, so she was the only one who lived there year round. And my cousin John, who was like a vice president of melancorre very buttoned down business guy. You know, he was up there raking leaves one day and he saw a guy sitting in her neighbor's window in the front porch, and he went into the house and he was all freaked out. He said, dded, you know, there's there's a guy sitting in you know, her house is boarded up, it's it's the winter, Like, who is he? She said, calm down, down, and she went over to a drawer and gave him this little card and there was a picture of the guy on the card.
Speaker 3: She said, is that him?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's the guy sitting in the window. She said, turn the card over and there was a memorial card for his funeral. She said, Oh, that's still he just sits in that window. It's his favorite seat. And so she had a lot of those kinds of events and that were corroborated by other family people, you know, people that don't necessarily believe in the stories that we all know and love, and so stuff like that that happened. And you know, she she had a she had a Zaria board, which is sort of like a Ouiji board on steroids that she and my father and you know, their friends would play in the heart of winter, you know, and and they would go up to this house in the middle of the woods, and this board would be sort of they would obsess about playing it sort of like a drug and would call to them, and it started the entity and the board started to materialize itself physically. One day, in a room full of people, they said, where's Sheiba. Shiba was a call dog that my grandmother had just passed, and it said the plan chet spelled out, look to the fire and all the logs and the and the fireplace fell into the perfect shape of a colliague.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it knew things about like my my grandfather, who on my mother's side was very cynical and you know, had been through World War two and it didn't believe any of it, thought it was just all bullshit. And he said, you know, asked that thing what my war Boddy's name was, you know, and it's because only he knew the answer, and it spelled out p h I s H fish. He went white and then never stepped foot in my grandmother's house again because it had this preternatural knowledge. So, you know, in the end, it was like seven years of just this crazy build up of this level and energy, and by the end my grandmother actually called Ed Warren. He was on a he was on a TV program, I Forget in the seventies talk show, and she called in and they warned her about it. And then the church, the local Catholic church, came and sent a woman to bless the house and tongues and burn the board and took hours for this little piece of wood to burn. So so yeah, those are the kind of stories I was raised on, and my grandmother would scare the shit out of me and my friends, and you know, so I saw the power of u of that as a as a as a storytelling medium, and I was always excited, excited to I mean, I have studied parasychology, I've you know, I've done all the kind of stuff you do as a kid trying to scare yourself. But I haven't had a personal experience with a ghost, like she's passed away now, and I've I wish she would visit me, you know, I'm waiting for that that weird lucid dream where she's in the room or something, but she just hasn't. Maybe she's too.
Speaker 1: Busy, you know, would you go ghost hunting?
Speaker 2: I I did the Coronado thing where we went to that famous haunted hotel room in the Hotel Coronado the night and we're looking for you know, cold spots and vortex and stuff.
Speaker 1: But yeah, there's a woman that you what, there's a woman that haunts it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've done that. We've done the cornetto, We've done the Queen Mary, you know, the obligatory Queen Mary trip.
Speaker 1: Do you think that Queen Mary is still haunted? Because I've been there and I don't. I didn't see any ghosts.
Speaker 2: Well, look, I mean, you know, I Disney owns it now, right, so it's like it's become like a theme park. But look, I believe I definitely believe that. I was talking to actually funny enough of an exact film exactly yesterday because he thinks his house is haunted, and I haven't. I believe that the brain, like I believe that a horrific accident or murder, maybe it leaves an imprint in the environment like a stray radio wave, and then maybe you or I, who might be receptive to this this signal, are going to see that and experience it. What I have a hard time believing this is just personally, I don't you know, is that our soul maintain some cohesion after death, like I would love to see my grandmother and some you know, housey and field of wheat. But I don't know. I have a hard time believing that. But I do believe that the brain maybe perceives sayings, whether it's acts of violence or you know. I mean I studied jb Ryan, who is like sort of like what Alfred Kinsey was to sex study, he is to parapsychology. And there's this thing called a crisis apparition, which is like a young wife wakes up and she sees her husband standing over the end of her bed, shivering, and then she calls the army brig and sure enough he has pneumonia. So we you know, telepathy, and there's things that we don't understand about what the brain can do. So that I buy into, you know, I have another famous case, remember hearing a couple like in the south of London. They moved into a flat and they saw they kept seeing this lady at night like vacuuming in their house and they were like really freaked out and they wanted to move.
Speaker 3: And research it's something good. What's that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, at least she was vacuuming, right, and not eating their food. But like they did some research and she the woman was in a coma forty miles away and she she was projecting her consciousness into this house, like astro projection out of like insidious on some level. So there's a lot we don't know, you know, And.
Speaker 1: Uh, what do you think about possession?
Speaker 2: What do I think about what?
Speaker 1: I'm sorry possession because I love your film taking of Deborah Logan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the older Look, you know, when I was bad as a kid, my mother would write on soap on the mirror and say, like you're getting closer to me every day, and like we pretend she was the devil. And I have a heart, you know. I mean, look, I think humanity. The older I get, the more I'm just I despise humanity, frankly. And I think that the idea of some ancient, you know, demonic, non corporeal entity possessing, I think is a bit silly personally. Do I love possession stories? And do I hear do I read about a father who's killed his kids and mother and wife and want to believe that some ancient deity made him do those things? Yeah, but I have a hard time believing that some bronze aged fiction that we've created. I'm sort of like a recovering Catholic at this point in my life, and not atheist, but an agnostic, and so demonology. I love the mythology. I'm writing a movie right now that sort of deals with it, but I don't know that I believe it myself personally.
Speaker 1: That's what I've been struggling with. I've talked about this almost every episode lately. I've been thinking so much about how I grew up Catholic and so much fear of demons, and now I'm not really sure how I feel about that.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, the devil didn't really exist if you look through the Bible. It was like a really recent sort of development, and it really the idea of Lucifer the Light Bearer. He was, you know, he's a fallen angel. And then you know, really it didn't until the until the like the Middle Ages, where they started to create this sort of pagan idea of the devil. And but if you look historically, I mean, you know, it's it's and again it's like you go further back, I mean Zerasterism and all these older religions, the Canaanites, Like, you know, the Canaanites used to, uh do these child sacrifices molk and they had this massive oven where they would throw their you know, newborns into the fire, you know. And so so the Bible is just only one of many sources of demonology, you know, throughout history. But but again it's like, I'm more afraid of you know, John Wayne Gacy, uh than I am of Kazuzu.
Speaker 1: Like you know, what about like curses because in so many well not so many, but there's a handful of paranormal movies that have alleged curses around them. What do you think about that? Like the oh Man the Extra, says Poulter, Guys.
Speaker 2: You know, I think bad things happen to good people, and it certainly seems more I don't I don't mean to, you know, to say there's no magic in the world. But you know, I think we're so hardwired as as a species to look for patterns, right, so you know, thunder eagles, lightning, a gral eagles, lion, and so I think we look for patterns where they might not exist necessarily. I like, so, I don't know, I do think that there is a thing called karma, and you know, something's come back to haunt you do. I think the little girl from the Poltergeist movie was cursed. I mean, you know, I think that's more us.
Speaker 3: Loving horror and loving the genre.
Speaker 2: And then looking for it to try to make sense out of something that seems kind of unsensible. And you know, but but I don't know, I mean I don't know. Uh yeah, because it was it was Poulter guy and what was the other or the other curse movies?
Speaker 1: There's the omen the omen Yeah, the omens scary what I was reading about it? Apparently there were uh two or three plane crashes, two of them were struck by lightning while uh while people involved in the film were going to the set to work on it. Wow, Well, we do this fun thing on the show.
Speaker 3: Called EVP.
Speaker 1: Or ev Please do you want to hear some ghost voices?
Speaker 3: Sure, Okay, here's.
Speaker 1: What we do. I go to the Internet and I find EVPs. You know about.
Speaker 3: EVPs, right, sure, yeah.
Speaker 1: Electronic voice phenomenon. So I'll find an EVP from YouTube, and then I want you to guess what the ghost hunter believes these voices are saying. This first one comes from someone on YouTube named Todd Sheldon, and it's at the Tenny Gatehouse, which is in matthew In Massachusetts. Matthew matthew In. Yeahs Methuen, Matheuen, I like matthew in. Okay, tell me what you think they think this ghost is saying, or what you think it's saying. Could you hear it?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's so garbily.
Speaker 1: I know they usually are. Let's be honest. It's sort of like a It sounds like a female talking very lightly. I'll play it again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I couldn't really make out much. It sounds like Charlie Brown's teacher, sort.
Speaker 3: Of wah is it?
Speaker 1: Well? You know which? Maybe she's the ghost of that schoolhouse. Now I want to see there's your next movie? Okay, here is it a Oh my god, that kind of tickles b I'm a long faced ghost. See, I don't want to play go away or d I saw the omen.
Speaker 2: I'll go for the tickle.
Speaker 1: Now it's I'm a long faced ghost. Wait, but now that you hear the now that you know that, listen again, do you hear it?
Speaker 2: I'm a long faced ghost. I'm basically the basically the screen.
Speaker 1: Mask exact ghost face. Yeah, okay, let's try another one. This one comes from a listener. This is from Annie and she wrote this is from I believe last week. She said, This past weekend, we attended a ghost hunting event hosted by the group from the ghost Hunter's TV show at the Glenn Tavern Inn in Santa Paula. While in one of the most haunted rooms, I picked up this EVP. We were using various pieces of equipment. One of the people at the event kept referring to them as toys, saying, you can play with this toy, wrap your hands around it, and at the ten second mark you could hear a voice whisper this. It's real quiet. It's like a real creepy whisper.
Speaker 4: An go.
Speaker 3: Just once.
Speaker 2: I want one of these ghosts to really articulate what they're trying to communicate.
Speaker 1: Seriously, I'll give you some options. Is it a boys will be chiming in? B Always bring the toys in, cee, toys make me silly or d let the bodies at the floor.
Speaker 2: Always bring the toys in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, always bring the toys in.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's just creepy.
Speaker 1: It is creepy. What scares you, you know?
Speaker 2: I really. We're working on a TV project right now that I'm really excited about. Like the Taking of Deborah Logan used Alzheimer's disease as a metaphor for possession, and so I'm kind of in a the older I get and kind of like in my middle aged like hypochondriac phase is the more like health stuff and what the body can do, it can freak me out. And we're working on a show now that deals with addiction as sort of a metaphor for possession.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've had I've had friends, you know, and and loved ones who are struggling with like the possession of addiction, and.
Speaker 1: Well people demons when they're talking about your addictions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, and and so that so I I like to really take real world stuff that's freaky and then turn it on its head, you know. And when I'm in a you know, it's hard when you live in a townhouse in Santa Monica to be thinking about ghosts. But when you're in an older environment and you can feel the history, That's why, like I love going to Europe and you know, or from in the woods somewhere, it's just you more in touch with that kind of stuff. Uh. And you know, I've done so much research over the years for my various projects. I mean, there's a I was telling a friend yesterday, like, you know, the national parks like Yellowstone and stuff, there's a worldwide phenomenon where people just vanish to just go missing, you know. And there's hundreds of hundreds of these cases across the national parks where people are out on a hike and they turn around and their wife or daughter is just gone and there's no accounting for them. So that's kind of freaky. Yeah, So it takes a lot to scare me. You know. I can't think of the last movie that genuinely freaked me out where I was like on the edge of my seat. But I also know how the sausage is made as a filmmaker, so I'm often thinking like, oh, that was a crane shot or you know. So it's hard to really genuinely get scared now. It's more like a bit of a shock kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry that's a long winded answer.
Speaker 1: No, No, totally, I'm so curious about that. Well, let me before I let you go, can I read you a ghost story real quick?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: Okay, let's see if this will scare you. This comes from a listener of our show. This comes from j L and he says, Hi, roz chiw listen. My partner and I have been living in our newly built home for almost year. Nothing has been going on until recently. This past holiday season, I bought my friend a home security camera that I took advantage of buying during Black Friday season. Ever since he installed those cameras, girls, some shit has been going down in his home. I feel as if something may have attached to me when I visited his home, or either the land I'm staying on is haunted. Anyways, one morning, I was laying in bed. My boyfriend usually leaves for work at three point thirty. I briefly remember him leaving as yeah, oh my god, three thirty, that's so early. Also haunted time. I briefly exactly what is his boyfriend? A witch? I briefly remembered him leaving as he always kisses goodbye. Sometimes I see him out to his car. But this usual morning, I was too tired and decided to stay in bed. The bedroom door is always cracked so the kitchen light can illuminate the bedroom as soon as I open my eyes, a white figure with an arm extended stepped halfway into the doorway to push open the door, turned around before walking back into the kitchen. Bitch, listen. I laid there thinking what the fuck just happened. I checked my phone and realized it was ten minutes before four AM. My boyfriend usually texts me a little after four that he has arrived at work. I immediately texted him and asked him if he opened the door to let our fur babies into the bedroom. I knew this figure couldn't be him because it was all white and he wears a company uniform. He responded, denying it was him. I was left gagging. Now, mind you, before this experience happened, I usually stay up later than my boyfriend due to my work schedule. As I was laying on the couch watching my show one night, my pooch started growling at the hallway leading to the guest rooms and the guest bath. Nothing was there. She growled for a good minute. I already knew what time it was because I've seen too many horror movies just recently. A few weeks ago, I was at work and my boyfriend was home. He texted me a bit before midnight saying he believes the shadow revealed itself. I came home and asked him about it, and he said he was awoken by my dog growling at the foot of the bed. Why do a lot of this spooky shit happen at the foot of the bed. Anyway, he saw a figure for a good minute. It wasn't a full figure. He saw what appears to be letters he could barely make out in the torso area, and the rest of the figure was like TV static. Once this figure disappeared, my dog stopped growling. Girl, I've been burning sage like hell and still no luck. Those had been my first experiences in my new home. I always said I would move out if I ever lived in a haunt house, But bitch, I am tied up in a mortgage and it is easier said than done. Okay, well, now I'm terrified for Jayl. I hope everything's so fakey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I would be so fast out of there. I mean, yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: See, but someone like you, would you use that, Like, if you were actually in that dilemma, would you be like, Okay, this is an opportunity to maybe get some material.
Speaker 2: You know my mom, My mom's had two strokes, and we, like my dad was watching her being our caregiver. So we just set off cameras and make sure she's hasn't fallen or something. And sometimes the camera's trip by themselves, like you know, and so like you're like, what's in the bedroom right now? Why did the camera just trip? Why did the detect motion? And but I guess what I'm getting at is I wouldn't have been freaked out if I didn't have the camera tripping, you know what I mean. So I can't speak to this year. I can't speak to your listeners like full on apparition that they saw. I know that sleep paralysis can cause really crazy shit to happen, you know, and you can be you can be in a state of like lucid dreaming where you wake up and your body's still paralyzed and you can see some shit and that that's a very real medical condition. But you know, look, I mean, if I saw an apparition genuinely and sounds like this, this this listener really really believes what they saw, I would do research, you know what I mean. I would get right in there and see if anybody died in the house. I would, you know, howls the house. I mean, and if there's if there's no there there, then there has to be some kind of rational explanation. Look, I I talked to Ed Warren on the phone, and I remember distinctly he was talking about shadow ghosts and he was like, ghosts can kill you, they can maim you. And I was like, I don't. I don't know if I believe what he believes, but I know he believes what he believes. And that was freaky because he was so convinced what he was talking about, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean though the Warrens were very faith based, Yeah, so, I mean they were very in I mean, he was a demonologist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. Yeah, And look, I mean, you know, and it all comes down to this cognitive dissonance. We're all gonna die one day, and you know, if there's dark, there's light, right and so and that's kind of the hope of it all. And I think horror gives us the catharsist to kind of look at some of this stuff that we all the taboo and the stuff that we don't want to talk about, and put it into story. In story form, and you know, the oldest story is really a ghost story if you look at Christ and you know the cave paintings in the lasso or horror image. So so yeah, it's part of our DNA, I think. And like I said at the beginning of the interview, like a podcast, I want to believe. I'd love to see my grandmother. I'd love to get a little signed from her. So I'm open to it. I just you know, it hasn't happened yet, you know, So I will continue to make horror movies that exploit people's fears.
Speaker 3: In the interim while I'm waiting, have you been to a psychic.
Speaker 2: Way back? You know?
Speaker 3: Once?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this this gal Nancy Bradley up in the gold Rush area of California. And that was a weird trip because we had sold in my early twenties, we'd sold like an online. We're kind of ahead of ourselves. We're going to be like the Sightings for you know, the millennials. Although I wasn't a millennial. I'm much older now, so I don't know what we were baby boomers or whatever. But but we were going to conceive was We're going to go to haunted locations and yeah, this is this lady and Nancy Bradley, and she was pretty good, you know, she's pretty intuitive and stuff. But I've learned so much about the way that they do their thing. But it's funny. I just had a general meeting with an executive yesterday and he was he had talked about going to a psychic who blew him away and had very specific information that only he knew, and so he was a sworn believer after that.
Speaker 1: You know, Well, I've had both experiences. I mean, I definitely think that it's like the oldest trick in the book, Like there's so many it's such an easy scam for many people. But I think that there are the view out there. I mean, I believe in a few that I've encountered that really have that gift.
Speaker 2: Yeah and yeah, and I mean I've certainly heard those famous cases where psychic can help law enforcement, you know, solve solve crimes. Yeah. So so again that goes back to just us not understanding.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Modern neuroscience can show you the part of the brain that a thought originates from, but they can't show you who had that thought, you know, And so that's the mystery and maybe eventually there will be an intersection where we understand bulls, but for now, they're just things that are unknowable, you know. And my little cousin, you know, got up in the middle of his birthday party and walked to the door and let his uncle.
Speaker 3: And he'd never met him.
Speaker 2: His uncle had died three days before, but he described it to a tee, the old man with the salty great beard and blue jacket. And my aunt was, you know, she's convinced that, you know her, her uncle showed up at the party. You know, wow, So.
Speaker 1: What didn't you call your grandmother's board that she used? Was that the kind of thing you could just like buy at a toy store or was this something that she had?
Speaker 2: Funny, it's it's funny you ask. I mean, you know, they had a Wiji board for a while, and then one they were doing an addition on my grandmother's house and so it just went missing. And then, oh, what are we going to do? You know, it's over the weekend. It's knowing, you know. So she sent my dad out in a blizzard to find another Wija board, and then he came back. There was one talking board game on the shelf and it was this Zariyah board and there was one box left. So it's like very very specifically was like sort of calling him in a weird way.
Speaker 1: So she was really that kind of person that like needed it, like she used it all the time.
Speaker 2: I think it was more it's fun at first, but she described like over time it had a type of psychological hold on them. It called itself Cosmos was the k O S m O S was the was the name of the entity in the board, and it it it had these fucked up biblical things it wanted them to do. It's towards it got really nasty towards the end where it would say it had seven commands like smashed skulls, kill babies.
Speaker 3: It had like really.
Speaker 2: Scary things it wanted to do. And it's like when you think of all like your your grandmother playing a talking board game and then this this kind of stuff coming through was it was really scary, you know.
Speaker 1: Was it even when they weren't playing it were the things going down in the house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was a sense of an oppressive you know, if you if you listen to the Warrens and certain demonologists, they say there's four stages of possession, oppression. I forget the different stages oppression something something, And yeah, there was definitely a palpable sense of dread in the house. It drove a wedge between my father and my mother. It Uh, it would be angry when it when they would first play with it at the beginning of the weekend. You know, how dare you be away from me for so long? So it had a real consciousness to it. And that was the part that freaked me out the most, is it really had sort of like it's through the stories, had an intellect and uh, you know she said one time, you know, if you're so powerful, show yourself to us. And then in the middle of a blizzard, with like twenty people in the room, a black cat came up and scratched on the on the on the glass doors of her front deck and then ran off into the night. So stuff like that where you have multiple people telling you the same story. I have cousins who won't talk about quote that time, you know. So so I know it's not just my grandmother kind of making it up, you know, And there's enough corroborating witnesses.
Speaker 1: So but so she never actually met ed Warren, right, she she called him for like advice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was just it was just a phone call.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I guess that's about Uh, that's about it.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for being on up on Holy Holy Water and Durrell and exactly all of.
Speaker 2: Your listeners Survive the Corona.
Speaker 1: What what do you got going on? So We've got the sequel to Escape Group coming out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then I've got a TV show that I'm working on with Darren Aronofski that I'm really excited about that uses uh uses the addiction as a metaphor for a monster, and it's at Netflix and hopefully they go for it. That we're writing the second episode right now.
Speaker 1: Amazing. I really look forward to that. Well, thank you so much for taking the time. I really appreciate it. Thank you, Adam. Now I'm excited to have my next guest on the show, who is a fabulous comedian that I have had the pleasure of working with in Los Angeles. She has a great show called Picture This at the Virgil, which The Virgil is another one of my favorite places to perform in Los Angeles. If you're ever in LA. It's not it's a performance space, but a lot of people might know it because it's the club that Lady Gaga performed at in a Star is Born when she was kind of having her drag queen moment. I mean that was you know, they dressed it up. That's not really what it's not really a drag club, but that is that same venue. So that's always kind of cool when I'm like performing there to think about that taking place there. I love that place. And she has this really cool show that they actually have like professional animators that are drawing your jokes projected on a screen, and you should check it out. So hopefully Picture This will be back very soon. I cannot wait to see it, and hopefully we will all be performing live on stage soon enough. But until then, here is Brandy and I talking in person. Take it away, Brandy. Posey, ladies and gentlemen. Brandy's in the house. Hey girl, Hey hey Brandy, how are you.
Speaker 4: I'm doing pretty good. It's great to be here.
Speaker 1: Thanks for doing this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: I I love to sit here in complete full drag and talk about ghosts with with comedians and all kinds of people and.
Speaker 4: Well, absolutely I love and I wore full makeup as well. This is a high. The highest compliment I can say is that I wore make up to a podcast tament.
Speaker 1: I am honored. Yeah, like, I think you should be. That's amazing. Thank you so much because I know how much work. Listen to it.
Speaker 4: Well, and it's it's fun, I like, because I'm in full makeup. We're sitting in front of a fire inside of a haunted house.
Speaker 1: Yes, and it's I just heard, I just heard my microphone just fell and things already happening exactly.
Speaker 4: It feels like we're in an Evan in Essence music video or something. Wake me up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, what do you think about ghosts?
Speaker 4: I think they're for any of those that are listening. I think they're great. Ghost are podcast fans, right, they have a lot of time, you.
Speaker 1: Know, I think about that a lot, like because I I sometimes I mean, I've said not the most flattering things about various ghosts and allegend demons and spirits. Yeah, and I hope that I hope they don't listen. Yeah, yeah, if they do, like, I hope they have a great sense of humor and that they give us five stars at Apple Park.
Speaker 4: That is like the one thing that's always kind of weird about like being like, oh and somebody dies, they're with you always. I'm like, did you not be with me always?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 1: That's a psychic told me one time that they see everything. I know. It's kind of a cock block, right discuss. I don't want to think about my grandparents watching me. Yeah, sometimes like it's freaky deeky over here exactly.
Speaker 4: Well, you hope that they can just be like, you know what, I'm going to remove myself and go over here.
Speaker 1: We don't they have like a lot of family members, Like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just they bop it around every time. Just fall go to the grocery store with me and then push me away from the cookies. That's what I would like. There you go a ghost to do for me.
Speaker 1: But you know, a couple months ago this is true and serious. I was driving to do a gig in Palm Springs and I had this moment where all of a sudden, the car in front of me, we're all going seventy eighty ninety completely stalled or something, and I was slamming on the brakes and I was like, I'm gonna there's no way I'm going to break in time. So I looked over my right no, I didn't have enough time to look over to the lane next to me. I just went for it. And I noticed as soon as I got over that the car that was going ninety or whatever in that lane just kind of went boop and went on the shoulder. And I'm like, I think I feel like a guardian angel or something.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: It was like, I'm just gonna push you over just a little bit.
Speaker 4: I have felt very I feel very protected by by people in my life. I I my my grandmother was my best friend growing up, and she died when I right when I graduated college when I was twenty one, and I have like definitely felt her with me since then as like a like a presence that I'm just like, Okay, I feel I feel safe because you're here. You got my back. Same, you know it definitely and you mixed. You sit up a little bit straighter.
Speaker 2: Yah.
Speaker 4: Nice? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Do you so?
Speaker 1: Have you encountered a ghost?
Speaker 4: I haven't yet, but in my family, basically all the women in my family right before they pass so far like they they are visited by past family members. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Does that make you nervous?
Speaker 4: I mean yes and yes and no. So like my my grandmother who's my best friend. She had a brother that had died before her, and my and my grandfather had passed too, and she she had like a heart failure basically, and she had one or two episodes before she like finally went into the hospital and like the first two she like went in, but then she got back out and then the night before her like last the big heart attack that put her in a comma that she died a few months. A few weeks later, my uh my, my great uncle and my grandfather came to visit her, and that I remember they her uh being taken out to the ambulance. That that next day she was like, that's it, that's it. I'm leaving. I'm never coming back to this house. She just knew it because when she saw them, she was like and they they they made her feel comfortable and they were just like, look, I think they like to show up to be like, hey, we're here. There is something like you're gonna you're gonna see us soon. And whether that's like a trick of the mind or like there is something real there or like it ghosts to just like a concentrated energy that like you can visualize or whatever. I don't know, but the crazy one is my mom. So my mom, my mom passed away about six years ago, and she was like, uh, she had a disease called multiple system atrophy, which like it looks like Louke Griggs's kind of in the neurological family. So she was like bedridden for the last three years of her life, and she my mom was like catholic, did not believe in ghosts, like very like by the book, a very religious lady. And then for the last especially last like sixty six months of her life, she was like on a lot of like pain medication and stuff and just really was not very lucid. But my aunt was living in the house the time, helping out. And one day, a few weeks from my mom passed away, my aunt went upstairs to go like get my mom's lunch or whatever, take it downstairs, and my aunt my mom woke up and just goes, your sister was here, you need to name her. And my aunt was like, what are you talking about. I'm okay, that's weird. So she goes downstairs talk to my dad. My dad was like, my dad is my brother. My aunt's brother was like, oh there, mom, my grandmother had had a stillborn child ten years before they had my dad, and my aunt that was still born, never given a name, but buried and they were like, is she talking about that? It's not like a family secret, but it's like, why would We've never really talked about that as a family. So it's so funny because my aunt is just like the most pragmatic person ever. She told me this and I was like, what did you And she was like, he was named her Mary, So I guess I have a sister, a great aunt named Mary running around somewhere. It's kind of funny.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: And then so it was a few weeks when my mom passed and then my mom saw her parents kind of right before she passed to so just they came back to her just to say, hey, we're here.
Speaker 1: My I think I've told this story before, but when my grandmother was dying, my mom visited her at the hospital and she's my grandmother said that the relatives are outside the door waiting, and she died like I think that night, and my mom said that the nurse was like, yeah, that happens a lot that people say that they see family. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think there's something really comforting about it. It's like, I don't know if it's like like I said, it's I don't like particularly care one way or another if it's real, or if it's a trick of your mind. If the trick, if it's a trick of your mind, Like, what a beautiful trick to pull on yourself. Yeah, to give you that comfort at the end, you know, totally, I think it's a really beautiful thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to be like we're here, like, yeah, I have a good time, You're gonna be fine, you.
Speaker 4: Know, welcome to the Olive Garden of the afterlife.
Speaker 3: Family.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's never ending possible. Yeah, I mean that that does. That does scare me. I just think about like what if I alluden just saw all of my family, like all my past relatives one day.
Speaker 4: Tell you what, I'd stop paying my credit card bills.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, that's right, I'll start eat whatever I want.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is. It is. But it's also like, Okay, it's interesting because I'm losing both, like both of them as early as I did. It really also kind of has made me very like living in the moment, like I don't really have a lot of regrets in life, so and being like okay, cool. Well, I guess if wellmember my mom shows back up, I gotta make sure I crossed all my t's and dotted all my eyes and feeling good about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just always feel like everything's meant to be. Yeah, you know, I can only just do the best that I can in this lifetime and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 4: But I remember being I was on a ghost tour when I was in seventh grade where Williamsburg, Virginia very haunted place. Yeah, I'm from Maryland originally, and I was in band, like I did all the all county bands and orchestras and stuff like what did you play French horn?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wanted to play the drums. My dad wouldn't let me because it was like I don't want those in my house. So then I like remember looking at like the Peter and the Wolf record and I was like, well, which animals the Wolf? There was a French horn and I was like, all right, I'm gonna play that. I didn't even know what it looked to play it. I can, yeah, I have it on the come with You girl started an orchestra. I'll bust out every once in a while to see if I can still run scales just to see if I can do it or not. It's nice to be like, Okay, cool, it's still in there. Okay, good, Yeah, it's fun.
Speaker 1: So what happened on the ghost tour?
Speaker 4: So I remember, like walking around, I get really spooked by that stuff. He's they can't really watch horror movies. They stressed me out way too much. So I was like kind of just walking around and I remember seeing like, remember I saw I saw a weird light like up in the sky and a weird corner in my eye, and I remember like being like that's a star and looking at it and then it shot to a different point in this star in the sky, and then it shot somewhere else away after that, like it like exactly when I looked at it, like I was like, what the fuck is that thing? And I was like, did I just see an alien on a ghost or it's like a real woolu turn duck and it's nice.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I mean there's a lot of places in this world, on this earth that are known for lots of paranormal activity in all senses of the world. Yeah, word, And I don't I don't know much about the paranormal in that specific area. But I don't have a hard time believing that there could be ghosts and UFOs and creatures, and you know, there's just some places that are just hotbeds.
Speaker 4: For that definitely. Well there's like energy that's attracting something there, you know. And I just remember being like talking to some of my friends afterwards and being like, Okay, you're in CURL in seventh grade. You can't talk about aliens too much right now, take it easy.
Speaker 1: I don't. It's interesting because people ask me all the time why I don't talk about UFOs on the show, because we usually just talk about ghosts. But I mean, obviously I believe in UFO. Do you believe in UFOs?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I definitely aliens exist for sure, of course.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean I feel like I always have a hard time with people that are like I don't believe at all and something and it's.
Speaker 4: Like how narcissistic. We're the only planet exactly.
Speaker 1: That's how I always so big. Yes, Yeah, So I just usually don't talk about it because it gets I feel like the more I'll talk about it, the more like it usually turns into like conspiracy theories. Yeah, yeah, you know, political like all this. You know, the government's hiding it from us well, which I do believe, well I.
Speaker 4: Do too, but but also they've been slow rolling it out. It seems like this, yeah the guy from I hear, Yeah, yeah, Tom Plung's getting real into it. Yes he's the part of.
Speaker 1: It, but he's been like a huge force in it because he has a huge following, and.
Speaker 4: It's like it's putting real money behind it. Well there was, there was just the Navy I think just released footage. They're they're using a different acronym now instead of the UFO. It's like something else to I think the funk up the search is basically, but like they just released footage. They were like, we do don't actually know what this was. So there is footage and they identify, Yeah it's I identified, And it's like I think I kind of feel like they're like the world's pretty chaotic right now if we just slowly drop some UFO stuff and it barely made the news, so I think people are like, yeah, Okay, sure, I guess there's aliens, but like there's also all those other shit we're dealing with right now.
Speaker 1: Honestly, like it's probably a great time to just like be dropping that shit, because it's just every day it's like everyone's doing some shit. It's exactly why don't we just like drop a little bit of UFOs and aliens.
Speaker 4: Yeah, disclosure is happening. It's not happening in a way I ever thought it was going to because of everything else that's happening right now. But I think we're all just like sure, I guess there's also aliens. Maybe they can help us, but.
Speaker 1: Like we see, people are people are always talking about UFOs. Like the the reason that we don't the government doesn't tell us about it is because of the hysteria, Like the whole world is going to start freaking out. Yeah, and I can understand that.
Speaker 4: Well, they want you to be scared. They also want you to I mean, the world like wants you to pitch you again everybody else as much as possible, so you weren't looking up, you know, to see who is actually holding power of any kind. So I also think that like, you know, if we as a people were like, oh shit, other alien races exist, then Earth people on Earth have more in common than anybody in power actually wants us to think about. You know, it would unite us in a way, because that it would be like the you know, the end of the Dependence Day where it's like all the different countries are like they're all getting the code and they're all fighting the aliens. Not that aliens are necessarily bad, but it would be like, oh, all these differences don't actually matter, you know, which it's true.
Speaker 1: And if that's the case, we are all on the same team exactly, So everyone would shut up about your politics.
Speaker 4: Exactly, and nobody, nobody at a certain level of power, wants us to realize how much we actually have in common.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So that's my conspiracy theory about aliens, and.
Speaker 1: That concludes the portion of the show exactly.
Speaker 4: Maybe there are ghosts two knows. I loved I met an alien ghost. Oh yeah, it would be fine.
Speaker 1: I mean they must exist.
Speaker 4: Maybe that's what aliens are. They're the ghosts of aliens from other planets that like, there wasn't an afterlife. We just go travel the Solar system.
Speaker 1: That is fun.
Speaker 4: That would be pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Be an alien. Do you so when you saw that thing? Did anybody else see it or was it just you?
Speaker 4: It's just me? Yeah, but it was like I remember I looked at it and it like I remember having this feeling like it knew that I saw it, and then it moved. It was just this weird moment that I was like, huh, and then it moved once and then it shot away completely.
Speaker 1: There's so much smarter than us. Yeah, they probably know. They could probably see you from up there.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm. Yeah. That was the weird thing where I was just like because if it had just like shot away, I would have been like, oh, maybe it's like something a shooting star or something. But it stopped in one place and then it shot away after that, and it was a split second though. It was so fast because I couldn't have been like anybody else, And I remember being like, wait, an emilse nothing and everyone's like, what are you talking about? Well, listen to we're a cemetery, Brandy. Why are you looking at the stars right?
Speaker 1: Oh my god. They're probably like, oh, we're gonna make her look like she's crazy. Yeah, they're like wave to you. In the second that you notice they walk away, they fly away exactly. Do you want to hear a ghost story?
Speaker 4: I would love to hear your story.
Speaker 1: Okay, let me find it real quick. This is in our Facebook group called Ghosted by Roz Dresfles, and this particular story was posted by Yarrow.
Speaker 4: Yarrow, So, yarro, right, Okay, what you got?
Speaker 1: The downstairs at my house is in all caps haunted.
Speaker 4: Do you think that means downstairs or a basement? Like true?
Speaker 1: They in Maryland? Right, Oh yeah, yeah, I'm from Michigan. We have basements too, which anytime you're like in California and you're like going to a house, it's like, yeah, oh you don't have a basement.
Speaker 4: Basements so much.
Speaker 1: Basements can be both the most terrifying or especially when you're a teenager, that's where you can that's where you have your own world down there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly. See a lot of Genitalia, to a lot of Shawshank Redemptions DVDs, and.
Speaker 1: There's been a lot of DVD menus playing over and over as various things happening. Okay, So they said, my son and partner are both asleep in slash hogging our bed. So I decided to go sleep in our guest room downstairs. My cousin was living with us for a minute in that room and used to talk about how haunted it was downstairs. But I never really took her seriously. Anyways. I was just chilling in the guest room trying to sleep and thinking about the possibility of ghost in our house when I got a text from an old pale and forgot about it. The ghost was mad again. In all caps, I heard a huge crash in the bathroom next to me, and when I checked it out, all my makeup and my son's bathtub toys were strewn across the floor. Who it wasn't like these all fell off of a single janky shelf either. His toys were in the tub and now outside the tub. This is seriously the scariest supernatural thing that's ever happened to me, So I had to come here to get it out. FYI, I'm in the non haunted upstairs bedroom with son and partner. Now, okay, that's a little scary, yaro. Keep us updated on what was going on in this section of the house.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm wondering if there's because I always wonder with ghosts. It's like, do you where where did that ghost come from? You know, like, did somebody die in the house? Is it like a wayward ghost the found your place?
Speaker 1: Like can happen?
Speaker 4: Is this poulter geistwn Ederay. Well.
Speaker 1: See, that's the thing that drives me crazy is that the more I've done the show and the more ghosts stories I hear, it's like you think you know the rules, but then you hear someone tell you a story about like, yeah, I lived in this house for ten years, nothing ever happened, then one day this ghost showed up. It's not always like some something spooky happened and then you move into a spooky house. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, because I guess movies and TV had me under the impression that it was like a spirit trapped in a place. But I guess that isn't necessarily the thing.
Speaker 1: Well, they can get awoken too. Our mutual Chris Fairbanks moved into a place and he did some slight alterations to the apartment, and it ghost showed up.
Speaker 4: Oh man did not let the new wallpaper.
Speaker 1: So but what I'm mad about, or what would drive me insane, is that she said her makeup. Yeah, I mean, and the bathtub toys. But the makeup is prizy. Shit thrown around across the floor.
Speaker 4: Uh uh.
Speaker 1: You ever have like a compact get thrown God, it breaks, It's terrible.
Speaker 4: Here's the thing I'm not gonna throw it away. I'm just gonna use it like a popper is just oh no.
Speaker 1: What you have to do is you take a little bit of rubbing alcohol and you put it in and you mix it around and then you let it dry.
Speaker 4: Oh really, that'll reset it.
Speaker 1: That's what I've learned from the internet.
Speaker 4: WHOA, that is very useful knowledge to have.
Speaker 1: Leave it up to a drag coin to give you a cheap alternative, something new.
Speaker 4: That makes sense.
Speaker 1: Okay, you would you like to hear some ghost of voices?
Speaker 4: I love a ghost voice.
Speaker 3: Yes, it is time for ev.
Speaker 1: Or ev Plase. Do you know what EVP is?
Speaker 4: Uh? What does that stand for?
Speaker 1: Again? Electronic voice phenomenon, That's what it is. Yeah, yeah, yeah. So what I do is I go to the internets and I find ghost hunters voices that they've captured, and then I want you to guess what.
Speaker 4: The ghost is saying, okay.
Speaker 1: Or what the ghost hunter thinks it says, just whatever whatever pops into your head. Okay, okay, this first one, well, these are I'm gonna play two of them for you. The first one comes from Baltimore Paranormal Investigators.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be like, hey, han, I thought it would be.
Speaker 1: Fun to go to your your homeland. Are you from actual Baltimore, like just south of it, just around it? Yeah, it does not tell me where exactly they did this, but all right, here we go. It's like there's some there's always a little bit of like just recorded ambiance noise, but it's a it's a loud whisper. Let's try it again.
Speaker 3: What do you they?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Man, you hear it again?
Speaker 4: Yeah, more time. It feels against like, help the Ravens win next year.
Speaker 1: Help the Ravens. Yeah wait, I'm pretty sure that's a Baltimore team. Right.
Speaker 4: It's a football team, but named after the only football and I don't give a fuck about football, but the only team in the NFL named after literary anything because Ed is the raven because Edgroll and Poe from Baltimore. Yeah, he's buried there. He's actually buried in Baltimore. And on his birthday every year, there is a man that dresses Ed girl and Poe and he goes and he puts a shot of cognac on his gravestone. Has for I think, well, it's it's been happen. Here's the thing. It's been happening for over like sixty or seventy years now, so it's been passed down to multiple people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's actually him.
Speaker 4: I hope it is. I hope he's out there ghosting around. If anybody would, it would be him.
Speaker 1: All right, So what you thought it was helped the Ravens win.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean people from Baltimore, they're real even.
Speaker 1: Yeah, once they pass, they're still rooting for the team.
Speaker 4: They I mean, they love that purple camouflage.
Speaker 1: Let me get you some options. Okay, here, let's play it again. Now, these are some options for what Baltimore paranormal investigators believe that it says. Is it a Oh, I hope I can get a nap in b I wonder what's gonna happen? See go for help? Or d oh I really wanted a happy meal?
Speaker 4: I think it's b It sounds the most. Oh man, now I'm hearing happy meal.
Speaker 1: So you think gets to wonder what's gonna happen?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's I think it's I wonder what's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: That's what it sounds like to me. They think it's go for help, which I don't know about that one.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: No, it's someone that's wondering what's gonna happen or if they can have a happy meal. Yeah, yeah, all right, let's try another one from the same video from Baltimore Paranormal Investigators. What mm hmm, it's another whisper with lots of loud noise.
Speaker 4: Look listen to Baltimore Paranormal Society. If you're listening, what I gotta say, stop wearing tap shoes to all these ghost hots. You gotta stop doing your soft shoes.
Speaker 1: Come on, man, take it down a notch. Seriously. Maybe it's like old vaudeville ghosts that are tapping around in the afterlife. Wait, let's listen again.
Speaker 4: Put the old bay on the crabs. So it sounds like I.
Speaker 1: Mean, yeah, you are definitely not you definitely know that in Baltimore that I feel like. That's what When I think of Baltimore, I think of John Waters, I think of crabs.
Speaker 4: Well, I think, yeah, crabs, grabs, yea, crabs of all crab, crabs of all kinds of all. Maybe it's divine just being like shoes or awful those shoes suck.
Speaker 1: Okay, here's some options. Is it a you're not supposed to be here? B I love the music of c Yah see I'm coming to get you or d How convenient? All sarcastic, How convenient? Here, let's hear it again.
Speaker 4: Okay, what was the first one again?
Speaker 1: You're not supposed to be here.
Speaker 4: I'm hearing that a little bit.
Speaker 1: That's how they thought it was too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I supposed to be supposed to be here.
Speaker 1: Hey, that's about it.
Speaker 4: Oh, thanks, honey, this was thanks to do this. Thanks for having me tell people.
Speaker 1: Where they find you and what you got going on.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So my Instagram and my Twitter are brand Dazzle b r A n d A z z l E. I have a podcast. Made a horrible noise into the microphone. Do you hear that? I have a podcast of my own.
Speaker 1: It's called an scream o band.
Speaker 4: Yeah exactly. It's called Lady to Lady.
Speaker 1: What's Lady too, Lady?
Speaker 4: It's my podcast. It's me Barbara Gray and Test Barker, and then we have a fourth guest on every week who's generally a female comedian. We've had like a bunch of very fun other guests and stuff too, and then we like just kind of riff and have a good time and it feels like a sleepover brunch party. Oh my god, I'll we're going to have you on. You're on my list now girl.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you for listening to my conversations with Adam Robatel and Brandy Posey. I am excited because here in my fabulous boyfriend's shower studios, I am recording some more interviews this week with some fabulous guests. So make sure you are subscribed. Please rate the show five stars, and you know what, tell your friends about the show. That would mean the world to me. I also love it when you guys post about the show, you know, a little insta story or something that's always nice. And you know what, I also want to thank you guys for sending me or posting in the Facebook group ghosted by Rose Dressful Us. You guys often send me different celebrities or you know people that you hear that have these incredible ghost stories, and you know, let me know, you know, if you know somebody that has a good story. I'm I'm often looking for a new guests, so I always appreciate that. And you know, I usually know somebody or know somebody that knows somebody, and sometimes it works out. So I always appreciate that. Make sure you're in that Facebook group ghosted by Rose Dressful us. We have a Facebook page, I'm on Instagram or at Roz dress Falles, Venmo, Queen Ross and I love you guys, both living and dead. But if I didn't ask you to haunt me, don't haunt me. Gay bye.
Speaker 4: Star Banes are a podcast network