Speaker 1: You can watch the original episode we'll be discussing in every other episode of HBO's Curby Your Enthusiasm, including the new and final season, on Max. You can also watch the video version of the History of Curby Enthusiasm podcast on Max and YouTube as well.
Speaker 2: Links available in the episode description.
Speaker 1: Okay, hi everybody, I'm Susie.
Speaker 3: S Man and I'm Jeff Garland and this.
Speaker 1: Is the History of curbyr Enthusiasm And this is season four, episode eight, Wandering Bear, one of our favorites.
Speaker 3: As a matter of fact, this might be my favorite episode of all time.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what's so great about this episode? And I was watching it this morning.
Speaker 2: It's so simple.
Speaker 3: Well, that's the point. It's simple, and it's.
Speaker 2: Self contained, totally self contained.
Speaker 3: There are no season stories in here. Mel's not in a Shwimmers producers nothing.
Speaker 1: But it's a very simple the way that it's it's set up. But yeah, I should go back and look at the outline because it's just it's beautifully laid out this episode.
Speaker 2: It's eloquent.
Speaker 3: But by the way, if I may, the outline in the episode are closer than usual.
Speaker 2: Oh is that true? Did you look at it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's more it's a solid blueprint of how you're going to make the building. It's not a here's the story. It's like really all there. Yeah, the only thing that a few people did was make up some dialogue. And there's a racist moment in the episode which I did not like twice. We'll get to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, and I have an interesting point about that racist moment, so we'll get to it. So we start out with Larry watching Girls Gone Wild on TV and he's having trouble with his glasses. He keeps changing his glasses. Is an issue with his glasses and the phone rings and it's.
Speaker 2: Chef Channel fifty seven watch Gut You Too. It's just fucking ridiculous in this.
Speaker 3: So this one where about as ridiculous as we've ever.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, College Girl's Gone Wild and you talk about buying it and but you know you can't send it to the house CAUSUSI would kill you and Cheryl would kill him. Send it to the office, buy the videotape. And it's a videotape. It's not a CD DHS No, there.
Speaker 3: Are no DVDs at this point to.
Speaker 1: My now, and actually just coming up is another thing. That happens, it dates the episode, and then Cheryl enters and Larry immediately changes it to some hippos, you know, hippos Savannah, and Cheryl says, have you seen my palm pilot?
Speaker 2: Another totally dating thing when we're watching.
Speaker 3: Girls Gone Wild and I am talking to him about it and I say, they're college girls and they've gone wild, which I think is a really funny line.
Speaker 1: And at the time, I do remember they were advertising those videos constantly.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, no, late night.
Speaker 3: Late night, every channel. It during Letterman didn't matter. And that was, by the way, that dates it too, because that was a big thing now with the advent of porn on the internet. Advent, but porn on the Internet or even titillating things are a dime a dozen. So a Girl's Gone Wild it's not really what it.
Speaker 2: Was then, Nor is the pomp pilot. I remember, No, I.
Speaker 3: Know the but I also want to say, that's my theory on shows like Sex in the City, Whereas I think there's great interest for a lot of women, especially at that time, who didn't watch porn, and that show was very risk gay, especially towards a female watching, and.
Speaker 2: So it was it was less than softcre.
Speaker 3: No, no, no way less. But I'm saying it was a justification of it was part of the.
Speaker 1: Appeal, the appeal, you know, to me, I was talking about that stuff on stage, so it meant nothing to me, right, And I always felt like those girls got laid so much more.
Speaker 2: I was a single girl in the city.
Speaker 1: Those girls got laid so much more than any single woman ever did in the city.
Speaker 2: That was like gay men.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, you know, by the way gay men have it, they just do it. When you think about it sexually, it has no bearing on their relationship. They yeah, they.
Speaker 1: Could be in a long term relationship and fuck whoever they want and it's all okay.
Speaker 3: And also, boy, their world is just filled with positivity. I think the only negativity is men who are pained to come out, because once you come.
Speaker 2: Out, that's a huge problem.
Speaker 1: But the other negativity is is people who want a discriminate.
Speaker 3: No no, no, no, we're Jews, you know what I mean. Sure, but I'm just saying that outside of closeted gaze, that lifestyle. You know, if I wasn't a heaterosexual being out of a sexual I want gay lifestyle.
Speaker 2: You know what honey, you are what you are. You can't help it.
Speaker 3: No, but I but what a fun time they have. Yeah, it's really and their relations all of it. God, it's not just the having sex whatever you want, every aspect of it.
Speaker 2: But it's a musical theater.
Speaker 3: Yes, and look what they enjoy. Oh, fucked the gay men. Fantastic.
Speaker 2: So button. So Cheryl says to.
Speaker 1: Larry, what are you doing about the poison oak? This poison oak in their backyard? And Larry says, Jeff has an Indian guy named Wandering Bear who's apparently he's immune to it, and he handles the poison oak Wandering Bear, and he says, I'll speak to him, And then Cheryl says to him, really kind of out of nowhere. She says to him, have you noticed that we have not had sex in a very long time?
Speaker 3: Watching this thing about hippos.
Speaker 4: This is the longest we've gone since we've been married.
Speaker 3: Well, I have the dog bite.
Speaker 2: I know that was a while ago. It's better, isn't it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you know you went off the pill was so we use condoms or something.
Speaker 1: Do you realize that we haven't had sex in a really long time? And She's like, what are you doing. He's like, I'm watching this thing about hippos and I still can't have sex because of the dog bite.
Speaker 2: And you went off the pill.
Speaker 1: And she says, well, why don't you use a condom because she went off the pill Apparently they don't know why exactly, and he's embarrassed. He's embarrassed to go buy a condom. And then she suggests to him, why don't you get a vas sectomy, which I think is a beautiful solution.
Speaker 3: Yep, it is. But here's the thing, just him saying to her when she asks what you're watching, and he says, watching this thing about hippos. Hippos just talk about Wow, that's awesome, all right, go ahead.
Speaker 1: So he's embarrassed to get a condom. He won't have a vas sect to me. And she leaves the room and he goes back to Girls Gone Wild and he makes a phone call because they always put up an eight hundred number for you to order the video, and he is using very very very false voice, like disguising like anybody knows his voice anyway.
Speaker 4: Yes, I was thinking about ordering the tape, the videotape about the college girls and the wild the wildness. They're going wild or something somebody told me about going wild.
Speaker 2: The college girls.
Speaker 3: What else says? I've heard that there are girls in there, girls, and there's some and there's some wildness.
Speaker 1: Then we get to Larry's office and Antoinette, his assistant, is crying because Marvin broke up with her and she can't say why. It's too personal, but things were going so well and Larry is so clearly not interested. He picks up a mento from her desk and it starts talking about the mento and that it has the essence of orange, and then he tells her all the things he needs her to do.
Speaker 3: This is half of real Larry. In other words, if he's uncomfortable, he doesn't want to hear more than a sentence at the most. But if you or I talk to him about something personal that we look to him to help us or give us a perspective, he wants to listen to every fuck.
Speaker 2: Depending on the timing if we're in the middle of shooting.
Speaker 3: Not always well, of course, if it's inconvenient. But I've found with me, he asked me a million questions because he's curious and details and just like.
Speaker 2: You, well, he also likes to fix things.
Speaker 3: Well, by the way, who can I turn to in moments like this? You? Fine way. It's so true, though, I have some other friends that are very very close to me who are very helpful. Okay, but no one as much as you and Larry. You're my shamans. You're the wise man on the hill or wise woman.
Speaker 1: Shaman is an appropriate word to use for this episode. No, yes, so that Larry's is being very insensitive to Antoinette.
Speaker 2: She's clearly upset.
Speaker 3: I just to understand, Larry.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't understand why it happened.
Speaker 1: And everything was going so well, you know, I mean I thought we were going to maybe get married.
Speaker 2: I just I didn't see this coming at all.
Speaker 1: I mean, how can things be going so well one day and you're planning a trip and then the next day it's over.
Speaker 5: Well, those ments, well, that's really good.
Speaker 3: That was the hell of a candle. You know. How did they get the essence of orange like that? It's amazing.
Speaker 1: He's being insensive. Then he's like, there's things I need you to do. I need you to get cash, I need you to do get the stuff from my corn. I need you to get good breath freshness things and cancel the lunch with Jason Small and say my mother is and she says, what what's the excuse I'm going to give? He says, say it's my mother's unveiling, which acclille is so answer, I says, so you want me to lie and get treats for the car.
Speaker 3: In an angry way. But if I may, there is a proper way to deal with that. It's called the cost of doing business. You have an assistant, she's going through something bad, you gotta listen.
Speaker 2: I agree.
Speaker 3: Then all you have to show is a beat of empathy. And I'm talking about if you really don't hair, but you feel for the person, show them some empathy and then say I know it's an awkward time, but I need these things done.
Speaker 2: Which real Larry would do that. But but show Larry.
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, no, no, show Larry would not. Real Larry would be very thoughtful. But then again, not listening.
Speaker 1: Here, who's going crazy because he's he's jealous that I'm not paying attention to him.
Speaker 2: So say hello to Jeff. He only has one eye. Okay.
Speaker 3: See, so, by the way, Sage is with Holly, my assistant. So there.
Speaker 2: When dogs.
Speaker 3: When my assistant's not here, that door stays open so Sage doesn't get confused as to where I am. Right.
Speaker 1: They're very sensitive, Yeah, as opposed to Larry. So then antwine it hands him the tape.
Speaker 3: Your mail's here, girl's gone wild, Larry, Hey, what are you doing opening my mail?
Speaker 2: I thought it was my mail. I ordered a plate's video.
Speaker 5: Well, look says Larry David on it doesn't.
Speaker 2: Well, I was a little distracted.
Speaker 1: The college girls gone wild, and she opened it because she was expecting a tape, and Jeff Larry's like, it's for Jeff.
Speaker 2: It's for Jeff. Uh, it wasn't for me, and whatever.
Speaker 1: And then Jeff comes into the office and hands Larry condoms. He asked you, apparently to go buy him condoms, and you got him ever Last condoms. He's never gonna stop, and Larry's then he gets into all things.
Speaker 3: Never gonna stop, never gonna stop.
Speaker 5: Well, I want to come called, get it over with, not ever Last.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the only thing I want to do that for. I don't know quite long I would have yuess it's boring. Come on, fucking's boring. It doesn't get boring after a while. No, it doesn't boring. It's enough in and out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't like.
Speaker 1: It to last all night. I like to get it over with. It gets boring, you know. And he said, Larry's like, worried, what if I can't get it on? And then you're like, it lasts all night? It lasts all night. And then he asks you about wandering Bear and you say you're having problems with me wandering Bear because Susie doesn't want you to pay him because he went two hundred dollars over the estimate. This is where that comes in, right, And then he tells you he wants to fire Internet.
Speaker 2: But he can't.
Speaker 3: She's closed to the door.
Speaker 2: It's because she knows too much.
Speaker 1: She knows his dietary habits, she knows his webs of lies and deceit.
Speaker 2: She'll destroy me. He says, we'll be right back. Stay tuned. Okay, we're back.
Speaker 3: I'm going to tell you, as someone who if you remember on Kurb, I would fire assistance constantly because I don't suffer fools. But I want to say, if early on you get a sight of this person maybe a little bit off, or this person is already screwing up stuff, you gotta go for the instant fire.
Speaker 2: Do you ask assistance to sign an MDA D.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my lawyer has made me the past couple of times.
Speaker 2: But that being said, but that's a newer thing at this time. I don't think they're.
Speaker 3: Still gonna say something to somebody.
Speaker 2: Larry has had well. Laura is now our coe p.
Speaker 1: She started out as his assistant twenty four years ago.
Speaker 2: But she knows where all the bodies are.
Speaker 3: But she's also not weird, not not now, and so thoughtful and reliable. She might she might be. She has one of my favorite people on.
Speaker 1: Her and she loves Larry and she would not do anything to harm him.
Speaker 2: But she's got a lot, I mean in assistance.
Speaker 1: The whole thing about it is not only do they know your personal shit, they know your pin number for your ATM, They know, I mean, like everything.
Speaker 3: My assistant knows everything. But I would stake my life that she would never do anything to harm me Antoinette.
Speaker 1: Larry thinks it is going to harm him because she knows all about Tony is.
Speaker 3: Right, because she has shown that she's a whack adoodle, which you know.
Speaker 1: So he's you say to him, you're trapped, and then we cut to our house and you and Larry are sitting down to watch your delightful tape of college Girls Gone Wild, but l Larry says, pause it because he's having trouble with his glasses. He wants to go out to the car and get a different pair of glasses. And you pause it, and Larry goes out to get the glasses, and he leaves the door open.
Speaker 2: When he comes back in.
Speaker 1: You're watching for a couple of minutes, and then you say, where's Oscar, who was our German shepherd? And there's no Oscar. He left the door open and Oscar got out, And then you're driving around the neighborhold on.
Speaker 3: Hold on, hold on, just from him switching his glasses at the top.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: It's such a subtle setup you think nothing of it, and lo and behold it.
Speaker 1: Comes in exactly. That's the brilliance of it. I agree. So you guys are driving around looking for Oscar. A Prius driver drives by and doesn't do a high sign to Larry. And at this time this is the first it's the first stinky one.
Speaker 3: It's the first hybrid car, first Prius.
Speaker 1: And he's upset about that because he feels like Prius drivers are special breeds of people and they should acknowledge each other.
Speaker 2: And Larry says, you know what, I want to see what's up with that guy?
Speaker 3: See what's up with that guy? What are you doing? What are you gonna do after you catch him?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Oscar is in the street and he hits Oscar. But Oscar seems okay, he gets up, he seems What a beautiful dog that dog was.
Speaker 3: I know, but also in this situation, like it was my dog, there's no doubt that they would be at the vet just to make sure. Yeah, of course it's always a big ball. Not sorry, with a child, a dog, anyone.
Speaker 2: But not you two.
Speaker 1: You two decide you're too hot to go watch College Girls Gone Wild. We're gonna go back to the house. We're gonna watch the video and monitor Oscar. Well, monitor Oscar. You make that very clear. He seems fine, and he seems fine.
Speaker 3: And if there's any problem, you make a page.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you make a pack.
Speaker 3: Problems, you know. But these guys, what they have in common is they're both selfish. The only person that I'm not selfish with is Larry.
Speaker 2: But I think selfish is what's funny.
Speaker 5: I mean that's what No, no, no, no, no no, I'm not saying it's not funny, but I actually think it's hilarious how selfish they are.
Speaker 3: However, I would do anything for Larry and he would do anything for me. We're the two. Not that he wouldn't do.
Speaker 2: Anything for sh in the show.
Speaker 3: In the show, yeah, there's nothing he wouldn't do for me, and which we've proved episode in episode up, that we wouldn't do for each other. So I say, Cheryl, and he'd do a lot, he'd do mostly everything for but he can really confide in me like you can't confide in her. And then of course I only do things for you because I'm scared.
Speaker 2: Because you're scared, Yes you should be.
Speaker 1: So if we notice anything wrong what we're watching the table, take them immediately to the vet, which I don't buy for a second.
Speaker 2: And then Larry's in bed.
Speaker 3: By the way, I thought when he had trouble putting on his seat belt that that would lead to something else.
Speaker 2: It doesn't. I thought so too, but.
Speaker 3: Maybe it did initially and could something, But.
Speaker 1: It also could have just been one of those moments where he hated the fucking seat belt and he just wanted to, you know, show how annoying the seat belt is and the freest who knows.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Then we see Larry's in bed with an afterglow. Apparently he and Cheryl had just had sex, and he says it pays to lay off sex for a while, like when Mantell was injured in sixty three first at Bet he hit a home run. No woman wants to hear that.
Speaker 2: No one, no, no.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, you say no woman, would you want to hear that?
Speaker 2: Not right after sex? I don't want to hear about.
Speaker 3: A huge Yankee fan. Yes, but tell the listeners what I've given you.
Speaker 2: You gave me a Mickey Mantle.
Speaker 3: Uh old Mickey? Yes, yeah, great.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: Down in my office. I'm not in my office recording right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're in actually Ben Vereen's house.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: And then Cheryl walks in the room looking very perturbed, and something really strange is happening. She's completely numbed down there nothing, it has never happened before. And then Larry realizes that he had the everlast condom on inside out and it has lighta kane, which is a numbing substance as we all know. And Cheryl's just like, how do you not know how to put on a condom? Fifteen year old boys do it every day. And then the phone rings and it's jeff and he tells you about Cheryl's numb vagina and you ever heard of a numb vagina? And you tell him Oscar's not good and screaming off the set is me saying, Jeffrey, what did you do to this dog? And then you say to Larry, I'm sorry about Cheryl's vagina. Next we cut to Larry's on the patio.
Speaker 3: I wrote the word nightmare with an exclamation point. Does anyone mention nightmare in the scene?
Speaker 2: Probably Cheryl or Larry. It's a nightmare for Cheryl.
Speaker 3: She can't know that I made a point of it being something interesting and funny, and I've forgotten. Let's keep going.
Speaker 1: Larry's on the patio and Cheryl is just, you know, she feels like her vagina is shot with novakane.
Speaker 3: And then still it's the next day and it's it's.
Speaker 1: Still, yes, it's still it's still numb. And then we meet Wandering Bear, who was Russell means, who Russell Means was an Indian activist. And by the way, Russell means does not like the word Native American. He prefers Indians because he feels as though we are all Native Americans, right, And he prefers Indians Indian.
Speaker 3: And by the way, Russell means a guy you listen to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, also an actor who was in a lot of movies and an activist, was for many, many years a Native American Indian activist. And Larry says to him. He comes up and he's carrying, you know, branches and things, and Larry tells him that he should go to Jeff and Susie's and demand payment. And Wandering Bear says, what goes around comes.
Speaker 3: From Oh no, no, no, he says, hold on, hold on, hold on, He says.
Speaker 2: As an old Indian saying, what goes around comes around.
Speaker 3: You sure that's Indian? I thought that was English. I couldn't play to anyone. Hey, Wandering Bear, let me let me ask you a question.
Speaker 5: You're a shaman of sorts, you know all about plants and herbs, and kind of a medicine man in a way. Last night I put a condom on inside out and my wife's vagina is completely numb. Do you know of any herbal remedy that that might work for her.
Speaker 3: M yeah, pencil and paper. I have a pen.
Speaker 1: Same thing, he says, you're a shaman, you know about plants and herbs. Do you have an herbal remedy for a numb vagina? And Wandering Bear asked for a pencil and paper? Only has a pen.
Speaker 3: Hold on, hold on, hold on, it's not just a general thing. He tells him about Cheryl's vagina, right, and then he says, do you have anything after that? Do you have a He's exposed Cheryl's vagina.
Speaker 2: To Wandering Bear.
Speaker 3: To Wandering Bear, which is and.
Speaker 1: Wandering Bear asked for a pencil and paper. He's going to write something down that obviously that he wants Larry to get for the numb vagina and a whole.
Speaker 3: Right. I know that's what I was holding on for it. He's like, pencil, I have a pen. He goes, it's the same thing, you know.
Speaker 1: And then Larry takes out his little notebook that we're quite familiar with, that little brown notebook, and Wandering Bear writes something and Larry and shows the book to Cheryl and tell.
Speaker 3: Us, take a step back. This is the first what I consider the racist moment moment, which is why, while Russell Means is writing it down, we hear the drums of an Indian tribe playing in the background. It's like completely unnecessary and I think rather uh racist and contrived.
Speaker 2: Do you think that we would do that in an episode today?
Speaker 3: No fucking way. Yeah, no fucking way. And by the way, that's what's good about our times if you want to pick out good parts, is we're more sensitive to other people's whatever they are, whatever their should be.
Speaker 1: No, of course, Uh yeah, let me ask you about this. Is there a separate music editor?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 3: Generally the editors put the temp music in or music we could use because they ially use the themes from our show, and then we.
Speaker 2: Have a library of those.
Speaker 3: We have a library. But also we do have someone who does music and they would fit in something there. So there were so many processes that could have happened where this got lost in it. And also back then, who was going to think something of quiet? It's quiet Indian drums, it's not overbearing.
Speaker 2: But still talking about two thousand and four ish an. So yeah, all right, we'll.
Speaker 1: Be right back, stay tuned, Okay, we're back, So Larry then goes to the office and Antonette forgot to cancel his lunch with Jason Small. Antonett is fucking up left and right. So he says, to go to mel Brooks's house, pick me up some music, and then go to my business manager and get me a package. And then she says to him, asking his advice. I keep on adding a lot of hang ups. Do you think it's Morvin? And the phone is ringing as she has his advice and Larry has no interest in engaging her.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, here's where he does the appropriate.
Speaker 2: Thing, very very literately.
Speaker 3: It doesn't matter. It means the world to a person. It means they're being heard. And he goes, no, don't you call back. It's him, but don't call him back. You should not be the one, and he says it with enthusiasm.
Speaker 2: Now, yes, he could.
Speaker 3: Give a flying fuck, and we know that as viewers. But that's what you need to do in situations. It's called the cost of doing business. And Sari hates that I say that so much, but that's what it is. You tip the valet.
Speaker 2: He's got a face, he's got him.
Speaker 3: That's she works for him. He has to see her every day. He has to bullshit it.
Speaker 2: She's like a wife.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't think that you bullshit your wife or your girlfriend. So we're back for me being a proper gentleman.
Speaker 1: And Larry tells you that wandering bear cured Cheryl's vagina and you tell him Oscar is not good and he's like, did you say anything? He gets all paranoid. Then he gives the condoms back to you.
Speaker 3: And by the way, this is my Meisner technique when I act. He tells me that a curator vagina and I say, how about that wandering bear cures vaginas? And it's just repeating what people ask me all the time. Why do I repeat with Larry? And it's not a matter of me choosing to repeat, it's showing a level of support for what he's saying so he can do something else in the scene or we just move on to whatever's next. But it's at worst really helps what's going on. It really does in one way or another. But people go whenever people do an impression of me on the show that the repeating part, Oh yeah, yeah, always. You know Larry says something, how about that?
Speaker 1: You know you tell him that your five wood is coming at four point thirty and you're gonna go pick it up.
Speaker 2: And then you see me.
Speaker 1: At the window with Oscar with my spaghetti western music coming on.
Speaker 2: I'm very fabis in this episode.
Speaker 3: And during this episode we use other music which might be connected to the song. It's basically a knockoff of the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
Speaker 2: Sergia Leon music. Yeah, yeah, not his music. It's Eno Morricone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Marticone does not. Yes. By the way, they're two of the best ever.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, Oscar's voice pock is damage is So somebody was trying to strangle him, to choke him.
Speaker 2: Who might that be? Larry?
Speaker 1: I think Larry, like, you know, the dog bit your penis and you're trying to kill him, you know. And then you guys are just like, maybe he got hit by a car. I'm like, how would he get hit by a car? How would he get out of the house. We go through this whole thing. I love these scenes. I'm going to get to the bottom of this, and you two are just shivering in your timbers. Cut to back at Larry and Cheryl's house and Cheryl's outside and Wandering Bear is out there, and Wandering Bear says to Cheryl, how's your vagina?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Cheryl has told me that people have come up to her in the street and asked.
Speaker 2: Her that question.
Speaker 1: So she asked her how vagina is, and she says getting better, but she's pissed about it. And then Larry pulls up and Cheryl tells him. Wandering Bear asks me how my vagina is? And Larry says, did you thank him? And Cheryl's not happy about this, and then he approaches Wandering Bear and says, it might not be a good idea to ask my wife how her vagina is, you know, And Wandering Bear says, if she went to a white man doctor, he not only would ask, he would look.
Speaker 2: He's got a point, Wandering Bear.
Speaker 1: And then Antonette pulls up gives him his papers. She forgot the music from mel She forgot and just like she forgot to call Jason Small and she and Larry get into an altercation and she quits.
Speaker 2: Fine, I'm sorry, I'm terrible. I'm a bad assistant. You know I don't need this. Do your own errands, run your own life. I'm done quick.
Speaker 3: I don't need quit. No, you can't quit. You can tell Jason Small, or maybe I will about your mom's fake and veiling.
Speaker 5: Come on, that's not that's.
Speaker 3: Your Cheryl would love to hear about college girls gone wild.
Speaker 2: Like college girl's gone long, Cheryl, it's hot.
Speaker 3: You know what, everybody's gonna know every.
Speaker 1: Lie, every deceat, every half truth you have ever told.
Speaker 2: Mister eight years of servants.
Speaker 5: Come on, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: I apologize, but you can't quit. Come on, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. Hold on, though, all he does is point out to her two mistakes that.
Speaker 2: She made, not very nicely.
Speaker 3: Though Jeff see, I think opposite. I think he's frustrated, and I think.
Speaker 2: It is he is frustrated.
Speaker 1: He is frustrated, but it's pretty aggressive how he points it out the her. He's pissed at her, reasonably so, and she quits and she screams to him about the college girl's gone wild and that she knows.
Speaker 2: Every lie and every deceit.
Speaker 1: She's had eight years of service, and Larry realizes, oh, he's got to apologize. You know, she's to she quits, she's going to expose him to.
Speaker 2: The whole world. And you know, he tells, Cheryl, I've said.
Speaker 1: Horrible things about you and Jeff and Susie and Lewis and she's gonna expose me and we're gonna have to move, and you know, he's like, I got to go talk to her boyfriend.
Speaker 2: He figures he's got to go talk to her boyfriend.
Speaker 3: But before he does it, Cheryl stops Larry as he's listing all the names, and her name was in the middle of all the names, and she goes, what are you telling her about me? And then he has to jump in not.
Speaker 2: You, not you, everyone else. It's a very funny scene.
Speaker 1: And then he decides he's got to go talk to her boyfriend, to Antoinette's boyfriend. And he's at the hospital cafeteria and there is Marvin, who is Joey Slotnick.
Speaker 3: Joey Slotnick who is uh my X's. He's a friend of mine and I love him madly, but he is Marla's only straight friend.
Speaker 2: Really, he had a face. He has a great face.
Speaker 3: He looks like one of the Marx brothers. He really does. I think he played one once in some show.
Speaker 1: I saw, Yes, Marvin, what happened? And Marvin said, it's personal, it's sexual. And then he fesses up that he's a premature ejaculator, and Larry gives him the everlast condom.
Speaker 3: Your problems are.
Speaker 5: Over ever last condom used condoms before, Larry.
Speaker 3: They don't help.
Speaker 5: They haven't used this one all night, my friend all night. Just got one little word of advice for you. Don't wear an inside out.
Speaker 3: He sells it like I was selling it to Larry. Correct tons of enthusiasm. Yes, And the thing is he's doing a selfish deed. He needs to correct his assistant. He could give a shit about Max's Wiener. You know Marvin's Wiener.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Marvin's Wiener. That's the name of a something I.
Speaker 3: Played Marvin on some Oh Mad About You. I was Marvin.
Speaker 2: I like the name Marvin.
Speaker 1: And then we're back at our house and Larry's there to pick you up to go get the putter, and he asked how Oscar is and I come storming in. He's not good. I know you did something. Wandering Bear comes to the door and he came to collect his money, and I say to him, you know what, wandering Elk, whatever the fucking name is, you were paid already.
Speaker 3: Okay, you don't need to talk like that. You're a better person than that. No, she's not we paid you.
Speaker 2: That was it. I'd like you out of my house.
Speaker 1: Listen, Wandering Elka, whatever the fuck your name is, you were paid. And Wandering Bear says to me, you don't need to talk like that. You're a better person than that, and Larry says, no, she's not, which I always Jane, which, by the way, is.
Speaker 3: The second funniest line in the episode. It made me burst out laughing.
Speaker 1: It's a very funny line. And I remember that. And then I tell him, you don't get out of my house. I'm going to get my dog because Oscar is a watchdog. And I call Oscar and Oscar comes limping in and he lies down and he's completely useless, and I say this used to be a watchdog and look at him and whatever, and Wandering Bear the shaman touches his neck and starts chanting, and he brushes him with sage hold on.
Speaker 3: He says, may I see the dog?
Speaker 2: Yes, you know, and then he jumps the dog.
Speaker 3: And then he goes down and the fucking drums are playing again. As he's doing all this stuff to him.
Speaker 1: He brushes him with a sage thing and he touches his neck and he chants and all of a sudden, oscar barks and he grits his teeth. He looks at Larry.
Speaker 3: He's got lots of energy.
Speaker 1: And then because he knows that Larry hid him with the car, and he shows his teeth and he growls at Larry and he runs after Larry, and Larry goes running down the block, which if I recall, he pulled his hands string on that take, I believe that was when he pulled his hamstring.
Speaker 3: Pull a hamstring and he waves.
Speaker 2: It a prius. A prius is driving.
Speaker 3: Because he's running being chased by a rabbit. Dog Is that you'd say, raven a rabbit? Okay, rabbit And he takes the time to wave and wave so natural and so funny, And that was a delightful button.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: And the whole episode, as we said in the beginning, it was a very simple, not a complex storyline. But again Domino's weaving everything has a reason from you know, it was a couple of things that didn't have reasons, but they were okay, but everything seems to come back and it was just like a perfect little gem.
Speaker 3: I at that time, I remember saying to Gavin Polone, who was still our producer at that time, but he was the guy who helped put together the show producer and you anyhow, point being is I said to Gavin ran In him or somebody, go that might be my favorite episode and he goes me too, oh yeah too. Yeah. So it was like, okay, well I'm seeing something here and it was my favorite. I think it still is, but it was for a number of years afterwards. And you know when people would say to me, what's your favorite episode and they expected twenty other answers, and I go Wandering Bear. And you know what they would say, which episode is that? I go, really the one with Sheryl's vagina. Oh yeah, yeah, the Indian dude. But people were never expecting me to say wandering Bear.
Speaker 1: Russell Means, by the way, died in twenty twelve, and I think he was terrific in this episode.
Speaker 2: He just played it perfectly. No, he's perfectly.
Speaker 3: He was he was perfect and by the way, I don't remember, but there was a lot of struggle getting him to either do the show or him being available. I don't remember what it was, but I remember it wasn't set in stone at the beginning because we'd have him we wouldn't have him. I don't remember if he had objections or he was going to be in Paris, but nonetheless.
Speaker 2: Well, luckily Popeye's barking, he wants supper.
Speaker 1: I am going to go feed the dog and I will see you next week where we will do episode nine.
Speaker 2: We're almost done with this season. Popeye, good boy?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: Well, love you, Jeff, I love you too, Susie, talk to you soon.
Speaker 3: I want to thank everyone for listening. That means the world to me.
Speaker 2: See you next week.
Speaker 1: The History of Curb Your Enthusiasm is a production of iHeart Radio.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts from iHeart Radio
Speaker 1: Visit the iHeart Radio Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.