Speaker 1: Wording. Today's episode contains spoilers for the first episode of a Night of the Seven Kingdos on hbo X be warned.
Speaker 2: Hello and name it is Jason gets up and I'm Mercy Nike and.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to xt revision of the podcast where we dive peping your babe. Joe's movie is kind like a pop culture even Myra Mancus. We're reading three episodes because there's on Saturday.
Speaker 3: In today's episode, guys, it's our first Ravens report.
Speaker 2: The cow We're coming to you from Western US. You like that one?
Speaker 1: That's good? Huh, that's a that's a raven sound I was looking at the hawk like feel like, yeah, we don't need to be special.
Speaker 2: How about like a how about like a quaw? Like I feel like a.
Speaker 3: Raven book, but you know, generally there's a bird going around. I'm a crow fan, honestly. Okay, guys, who has a raven soundboard send it to the discord.
Speaker 2: We'll use it next time.
Speaker 3: But during Raven's Report, we're gonna be checking out how the first episode of the Incredible Night of the Seven.
Speaker 2: Kingdoms has landed with the audience. We know Georgia arm Martin has been out here talking about it and at Hollywood Reporter. So we'll be bringing in a Boo to talk alongside me and Jason on that, and we're gonna unpack some of the central themes to the show, a little bit of the law and why it's hitting for us in the way it is.
Speaker 1: But first, let's talk about some of the early reactions to this show. I think you know, Rosie and I have been very interested because it is such a tonal shift when I first saw it, if people are gonna like it. We open with a poop joke, like there's a lot of poop in it, and it seems, at least on the critical side, that shift in tone is being received positively, very strong on Rotten Tomatoes thus far so before on Metacritic. Rosie Boo, your thoughts about the tunnel shift and how did you acclimate right away or did it take a little bit of time? Oh, Boo, let's start with you.
Speaker 4: It took me some time, and I'll be honest, it probably took me a second rewatch for me to fully enjoy this episode. I enjoyed the episode on the first watch, but I walked away a little more mixed, a little shocked, at the tone and a little confused that this was a Game of Throne spin off, that this was a Game of Thrones property. But when I rewatched it, and as I sat down to write out our script for today's conversation and really sat with my feelings, I've come around to appreciating the shift in tone and some of the comedy as well.
Speaker 2: I actually love that you are coming out from that space of boo, because I think that is really the audience in space. I think a lot of people in that moment where Dunk thinks about his great mission that he's gonna go and picks up his sword and they play the theme and then you know, you get that crazy poop joke, like why is he pooping that way? Why is this but like pooping it out like it's a vomit machine. It is a very different vibe. But yes, I too, obviously I was really into the tone. I'm ready for something different. I think that there is something really interesting about taking something so certifiably popular, even in its continued version of House of the Dragon, that shit's still doing crazy numbers. They could have just said, hey, maybe this isn't the right fit. We know what's right and I think this is actually how you expand a universe is by looking at the different layers and complexities and perspectives that allow us to enter the world from different angles. And to me that I have seen in the same way actually as a boo experience that people now a week later now dming me and going okay, wait, I think I get it. Like, I actually think there's something very transgressive and subversive about a period piece from the Eye of the Pauper. But it's not like, oh, Charles Dickens, you're in Pulverty, everything's terrible. It's you can actually interact with people and talk to them and meet different kinds of people and walk your way up. It's an aspirational story and I think that's really cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think it took me, you know, probably on first watch, probably to the second episode to fully acclimate and then but I was in the groove by the time Lionel Barathian, Yeah, because of that is such a vibe and the performance is so good. But it reminded me, you know, my reaction in terms of tone, and I agree with you on rewatch. I'm on like third or fourth rewatch now now it's like you get it. I get it right away, you know, but it took a second. And it reminds me of when I first started watching when Succession first came out, and I would say through the first four to five episodes, I was a little confused because the cinematic style was drama, right. It was shot like a drama, but the tone was like dark comedy, sharp comedy, and I was expecting the big short like because that was the pedigree, right, So I was expecting this more broad comedy with potentially cutaways and like breaking of the fourth wall and some wilder stuff. And it was shot like very again, like very much like a family drama, and I didn't get it right away, all this rack focus and different things they were doing. Uh. And it's the same with this, like it the undercut of the the subversion of the Game of Thrones theme, I think is that with the poop which we talk about work right now, I guess is uh, you know, like a cannon shout across the bow. They're basically, hey, this is not the Game of Thrones that you're expecting, so be ready. And I think on first watch, I was like WHOA. I was taken aback, much like George who I wrote, what is this typing and his typing in his DOS computer? What is this? Where did this come from? I don't know if we really need this shit, literal shit, but but I really liked it for whatever reason. And then I later explains so in the script it reads, Duncan here is the hero theme in his head, which wasn't necessarily going to be the Iron Thrones theme at that moment. All we're trying to say is Dunk's not a hero yet. He's just a very nervous kid with a nervous stomach. So that I was much like George, I was like, whoa, And immediately my mind goes to I wonder what people are going to think? What was your what were your thoughts?
Speaker 2: I think something really interesting about what Ira said. That is like again, I actually think that speed to the layers of this show, because the truth is that while it seems like it's just a funny poop joke with like projectile poop, that is not the way that the showrunners are looking at it. They are saying, this is a kid who the person who raised him just died. This brutal yet loving man just died, and yeah, he wants to go on a mission, but first he's got to poop out whatever bad snake he just cooked himself on this fire after digging up his old man. There is a level of care and thought here that I think is coming through, and it's also allowing us this new tone, is allowing us these moments that are speaking to people in a way that I personally feel like we have rarely gotten to see, maybe since like originally Bran and the Three Eyed Raven and the kind of that mystical moment where everyone just goes, oh wait, we're buying in, like there's magic in this world. There was something in the sequence where and I've been talking about this with you guys all week, but so many people have been sharing it with me, so many people in our discord, so many people online. The moment when Egg tells Dunk that they are the only ones who've seen the star and so there's this clip of Egg with this little smile and Dunk laying in the background saying, so the luck is ours alone. There is something hopeful and magical and not terrible and not brutal in that that I think can only really exist in a show like this. So the poop and the resetting of boundaries and the line I loved, which is basically one of Dunk's first lines, Oh no, stop, mister rapist, where you're like also establishing like, hey, probably not going to have that thing that you guys have all been complaining about. They do a lot of really silly little things that seem like light comedy moments, but I think are actually establishing a new status quo for this show and this space within it. Aboo, Like, what do you think out on it?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: You've done your rewatches and you're sort of working out how it's setting up the rest of the season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm a little softer on it now, but I will say the comedy and the human isn't exactly working for me even on a rewatch. I appreciate the lighter tone. I appreciate the more heartfelt themes and the smaller scale story. I don't mind any of those things, but I think the like, for example, I find the cutaways to Sir Arlen, you know, like slapping Young Dunk or cutting cutting away to like a one off gag with Young Dunk. I find those like unnecessary, Like I don't find those funny at all. They kind of feel weird to me. Maybe that's just not the kind of comedy that makes me laugh. But I didn't laugh at any any of those quick cutaways and flashbacks, So I think the balance of comedy is not working for me quite yet. Like the poop felt like over the top for me, I think you could have still subverted Game of Thrones without it.
Speaker 1: Was very loud, juicy.
Speaker 3: It was very though I will say, very medievally correct.
Speaker 2: I feel like I have a littly.
Speaker 3: Jason, what were you going to say about the cutbacks, because I'm really interested.
Speaker 1: Well, let's let's hold that for themes, because I do have some ideas regarding the what it says about the perspective of this show, which is as as Ira has talked about, and as George has talked about, and as is evident for the most part in watching this episode in the entire series, the show is told from Dunk's perspective. Everything you're seeing is what Dunk sees and how he experiences it and thoughts that he's having in the moment. And so I'm eager to talk about what those cutaways might mean with that in the let's talk about I mean, we kind of have so we you mentioned this Hollywood Reporter episode. Let's talk about Oh is this Hollywood Reporter report an interview with George Martin. I think is probably his most intensive interview ever, or maybe in certainly, and in it he goes scorched earth at times, very praiseful of a Night of the Seven Kingdoms. Your reactions to George's Hollywood Reporter interview?
Speaker 4: I think my first reaction staying with the Knight of the Kingdoms for a second here before we talk about other things. Yeah, is I am excited to see that the plan with the show is yearly seasons. Season two is slated to come out in twenty twenty seven. It'll cover the second novella, presumably season three and twenty twenty eight covered the third novella.
Speaker 1: What scares me is then.
Speaker 4: We're out of material unless Martin can write more novellas than the Duncan Egg universe. We will be working, you know, quote unquote offscript for season four and beyond, and I'm curious how that's going to affect the show. I know Martin has shared ideas with the showrunner Ira for other Duncan Egg stories that he's just been sitting on for many many years, and I'm sure those will inspire futures, future seasons.
Speaker 1: But that's my first.
Speaker 4: Question that comes up after reading this interview. What happens the show? What happens when we run out?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm I guess I'm less It's a good question, right, I'm less worried about that because I think there's talented people out many talented writers out there that could pick up the slack. And I also feel like with regards to Game of Thrones, the original series, which I think everyone agrees, you can kind of feel the part where they ran at us. Yes, yes, I think that there are extenuating circumstances, namely that the showrunners had been like ensconced in fucking Iceland in Northern Ireland for like ten months of the year for the last six years at that point, and we're burnt out and there's all of which is to say, I think that can be managed better this time around. But I agree with you certainly a concern and I and I agree with you also that you know George has a lot of plans for further Duncan eggs and who knows.
Speaker 3: I love I just love George, like I honestly straight would it be a Game of Ferns release if George wasn't doing like an outrageous blog post or interview. I'm actually, like, really impressed that this was a thhr.
Speaker 2: Interview and not just like a massive blog post.
Speaker 3: I think that that proves how much he loves this show and how much he really is really supportive of it.
Speaker 2: I think for me, you know, I expect George to do like a little sassy chat, so I was not that shocked by any of the stuff in it. I think the thing I found most interesting was just seeing the depth and breadth of what HBO has tried to do with this universe and whether or not it's working or not working. Like I would have loved to see the CE Sick Snake Show, which was going to be a live action show, but now they're saying it might be an animated show, which I kind of love the idea of. And I think after the tone switch and the production quality of Duncan Egg, I think they could be building something here that actually is a really interesting, unique and original shared universe. Because if you allow other people now to tell stories within this world based on George's law, you could really be in an incredible space that Eggon's Conquest talking about it being this kind of giant Dune sized feature film. Obviously, we know we talked about the John Snow series being scrapped, but I love an Aria in Esos, So for me, it was just kind of very interesting to see post the original DMB Game of Thrones go how HBO is still kind of trying to cultivate this world but imagine it in a different way. And I also have to say, as somebody who is a writer who often struggles with writing, I like George's honesty about how he struggles to write Winds of Winter and forgetting like finishing those books.
Speaker 3: A lot of people, like a lot of people would be like I'm doing it, like I'm Georgia R. Martin, like, don't worry about it. But He's always just like, hey, it's kind of hard. And I love these and I don't really want to give them over to Brandon Sanderson or whoever else you guys want me to give them to.
Speaker 2: I just want to finish them when I can, but imagine if I can't finish them, which is the ultimate feeling of that we all have every time we write. So I was once again just endeared to one of our famous fantasy eccentrics.
Speaker 1: I was endeared as well, and it left me, especially the parts where he you know, basically lays out his relationship with House to the Dragon showrunner Ryan Condall basically saying like there is a relationship. It That part made me sad and it made me think, you know, TV is a writer's medium. Usually it is the writers who are in who are running the thing. The showrunner is that can that can change and shift. But usually like David Chase and the Sopranos, or you know, Matthew Weiner with mad Ment, like Phoebe waller Bridge, it's the it's the person who wrote the script, who is the showrunner, who is you know, the boss of the director and on down the line or as you go to film, the director is the tour for the most part. I mean there's pleased shift, you know, producer power struggles and whatnot, but it's the director who who drives the ship. Now, the difference here is that in neither medium are neither medium is really calibrated for like a superstar writer like that's like not a real that's that's a tough thing. And it makes me think of sports, like I think with Jory in the relationship, I have no idea what happened there. I have empathy, I think for I mean, I understand when you're adapting stuff, the realities of stuff has to change at the same time, Like it's hard when you have the touchstone guy who means so much to the story, you want to keep him worded. And it reminds me of sports, you know, Like I think that a lot of being a coach of like a sports team is not necessarily drawing up like these incredible plays or managing what to do coming out of timeouts or keeping track of fouls. It's like management of personalities. And I think with George, you've just got to manage him like some You've got to be like, he's like the star player, he's like Lebron right, and so you just got to make sure he's somehow, some way. The job is like not just the shot list and the production and the locations, it's like, how, what's george mood? What's a feeling? Today's his what's his mood today? What's his mind? Exactly? And so I don't know that that didn't happen. All I'm saying is I think that that's that's a big part of it, and that's the way I read a lot of that. It's sad that the relationships has moved to that level, especially because it's damaging to the project, which I think, yeah, and I know and I think now is going to get is going to be watched through filtered lenses by probably a large segment of the fan base because they, yeah, and and the writers who worked really hard on it are going to get blamed for not understanding the vision and when that's not when that's not how the business works either, that's not exactly. So I feel bad for for everybody.
Speaker 4: The YouTube slap his fear is going to be all over season three. You know, George wouldn't have wanted this. George would have gone a different direction. This wasn't George's vision, et cetera, et cetera, and that just hurts the property ultimately.
Speaker 2: It's also not usually actually about representing what George would have wanted. Like you said, YouTube slop discourse, rage bait.
Speaker 3: I think it's a shame because, as we know, I'm a huge House of the Dragon fan.
Speaker 2: I thought season two was unbelievable. Love. I love the changes that they've made because I do think that you need to make them to make the show hit. In the same way, I am interested to see what happens in season three and how different it is. But you know what the good thing is, as the Hollywood Report article kind of said, like at some point George was brought back on. We haven't talked about it yet, but hopefully this is like two big guys with big thoughts and they can work it out, you know, because that's two of the biggest creatives in the game. So I'm interested to see if there can be a piece reckoning or olive branch before season three comes out.
Speaker 1: And also, you know, one of the things that was in the Hollywood Reporter article that was notable to me and I haven't seen too many people discuss was the fact that the big dragon battle that it seemed like we're were leading up to in last season of House the Dragon didn't happen, got pushed to the next season. And that was an HBO call. That was a budget call. That wasn't the showrunner call or anything like that. That was HBO saying, we're spending a lot of fucking money here, can we do this next season? And that was the thing that the show got killed for. So, you know, these are complicated, but it's not on the fans not to understand the ins and outs of TV production like all the time, and it's you know, kind of our job to try and communicate that stuff. But that part I found I found interesting because that was something the show really got killed for. Was like, I thought, where's the battle? I thought we were gonna lead up to the whole and I get it. That said, I'm sure the next season will be wall to wall. Let's take a quick break and let's talk about the themes of the first episode of The Night of the Seventh Kick. Yeah, Iraq, we are that watching this episode. The theme that rose to my mind most kind of obviously was that this is an episode about an outsider, about a person who is experiencing for the first time, his hand around the grip of power. He's experienced it from you know, next to the person with his hand on the sword for many years now, but he's not actually had his hand around the sword and he's not used to it. And we see that in a bunch of different scenes told through a bunch of different characters. But let's talk about that because we open with Dunk talking about out how he his mentor, Sir Arland, has rudely died on him, leaving him now as the sole inheritor of his very meager legacy and also of his title of Night. And it's clear that he doesn't, you know, whatever Sir Arln gave him, he did not give him what to do next, because he has no idea. Do I sell the horses, Do I go to a big town, do I you know, do I do I become a self sword? What do I do? I don't know what to do? And it makes him so nervous that he takes a very juicy shit. Let's talk about that. You're how does the theme of the Outsider strike you? And how do we think Dunk is doing as a as a as a Knight in the opening episode of this show, Rosie, he's doing amazing.
Speaker 2: Let's let's support the boy, the big boy. He just wants to eat a pastry. No j I love that this was your big take because you know what really this it's so different tonally, but I feel like, just emotionally, this episode really hit me in the same way as you know the first Like I know, twenty minutes of the story of the monster in Frankenstein almost where Dunk is just yeah, he doesn't know what to do.
Speaker 3: He can do, that's how much he loves him, and he loves him so much.
Speaker 2: But I love this notion of like we see Dunk in all these spaces where he has no idea how to act, and they do a great job of not making it the obvious kind of thaw like fish out of water comedy, but like Dunk eating that pastry in the tent and not knowing that he had to essentially make up like a lie or a reason to be there. His honesty, his rawness is just dunkness, his.
Speaker 3: Kind of unwashed, un brainwashed by society.
Speaker 2: He's just like I just wanted some food.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: There's like an honesty to him that I think is very appealing in the machinations of Game of Thrones, so to me that his outside of nature also gives him like a moral quality that I enjoy rooting for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love his first interactions with other people, namely this stable boy young stable boy Egg and just like you could see him even experimenting with his posture like okay, how does a stand how does a powerful guy address a less powerful person, and he's and here we see him calling on basically his experiences with Sir Arlen, which were constant threats of physical violence in the form of clouds are of the head. But I also found it very winning, and I think the one to speak more about this proximity to power. I was very struck by the moment where he sees this drunk in the inn say, you know, don't stay away from me, don't look at me, and throw down a gold dragon and walk away. The innkeeper's not around. He stares at the coin. He could take it, he doesn't, and then and we know he's got zero money, none, because the true night wouldn't steal. A true knight wouldn't steal, right, that's his right. His perception of this is, I never saw Sir Arland steel. I'm not stealing. That's not what it's right. But he has to tip the stable boy when he leaves, and he has on it. Does he have three coins? Does he have three coppers? Maybe? Does he have two? He might only have the one, and he gives this boy his only copper, throws it on the ground, because that again proximity to power is like, that's probably the best that the lords that he has come into contact with would do. They wouldn't put in your hand, They'd throw it on the fucking ground. So he does that and seeing the kids like really a copper responder, or at least what he perceives to be that he says, listen, I know you're going to pick it up later, and you know, don't don't give me that look, but also is trying to hide himself, like how hard it was to part with that only coin.
Speaker 2: I thought that was.
Speaker 1: An incredible and very subtle scene. Any thoughts on that.
Speaker 2: I love the fact that at every point we are learning about what it is to be a person who lives in like flea Bottom, but not from the perspective of them being told what to do or being a tool in someone else's game as we have seen before, or some part of someone else's agenda. I think what's really interesting here is getting to see Dunk make those choices on his own. And what is appealing and you know, endearing to us is he is making choices that seem to be for the great good. And I think something that I really am excited to talk about a little bit with this, and it touches back on what a Boo was talking about and Jason talking about the clouting of the ear and everything. I actually think that that is going to be leading us into something a little bit deeper, because if what really spoke to me and that I found was very powerful is like Egg is hella rude because he's not like actually a stable boy, you know, he's like fucking Egg, So like he's just like a kid doing what he wants. He plays on the truck and you know what he gets on that night he gets on this night's horse. He does not know, Dunk. He knows he's probably not like proper night he can tell, but he gets on that night's horse. He puts on all of his armor.
Speaker 3: There is another world where he's dead, Like the wrong night comes in there, you got on his shit.
Speaker 1: He's like not necessarily a night night.
Speaker 3: He's more of like a king's god kind of vibe, you know, the egg the aggie night.
Speaker 2: But instead Dunk never even clouts him. Dunk remembers how bad it is to be hit, and he never hits it. He always just kind of threatens him lightly and then changes his ways. That to me is also very powerful and tells me a lot about how he experienced that, and while it meant a lot to him that, you know, the guy who raised himself out and told him, hey, I'll never hit you unless you need it, he really recalls that betrayal of that not being the case. And I think that now that has shaped too hears and I just love this kind of different version of masculinity than what we have seen before in a Game of Thrones show, which is Dunk figuring out his own masculinity by creating a friendship with a younger man who is he thinks is less, has less status than him, and he's also having to learn how to then treat someone well who has less status than him while learning how to be a knight. I just think there's so much juicy, emotional shit there. If that is the kind of storytelling that you like, so for me, hit hit yeah, And.
Speaker 4: For me, it's absolutely the kind of storytelling that I like, so certainly Dunk is a highlight for me. I think Peter Claffey was just the perfect casting for this role. Throughout this whole episode, there were many moments where I wanted to just hug Dunk and just tell him that it was gonna be okay, and that he's going to figure it out and it's all right. And I think a particular moment that really stood out to me as Dunk being the outsider and trying to come into an insider's game and cosplay as a night is when he's talking to the steward and he's like, put me in the games. I can do it, and I'm not gonna lose. Don't don't worry about I'm not fine.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna lose.
Speaker 4: I don't worry about the fine. I'm not gonna lose. Look, I have the sword. I was knighted, trust me. And when he's rejected, I found it really sweet that even the steward was like, I know, this guy's like probably lying to me, but if you can just like have someone else prove it, then I'll let him play. And like the steward didn't have to go out of his way to do that for Dunk. But I think Dunk's honesty and naivety honestly open open doors for him in ways that it doesn't for other nights.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: I think that there's also you know, thinking about the power play here and everybody in this story and in this world thinking about themselves in a very set power hierarchy. I also think there's a world in which the steward is thinking, ooh, it's not often I get some leverage on a night. If this guy is more often than a knight owes me a favorite. I love that. It could be nice, right, it could be nice if this guy, maybe I'll do this guy is solid, because maybe then he'll owe me one. He'll be in that, he'll be in the tournament, he'll be topnobbing with knights and lords and et cetera. This guy doesn't look like much, but maybe having him in my debt.
Speaker 2: Could be good, yea, Jason, because also aboos. Something else you'd pointed out that I love about the show is kind of understanding how the small folk actually interact with each other. We get to see him with the courtsans, and they kind of talk to him in a totally different way than we've ever seen before because they are usually interacting.
Speaker 1: Like a collide. Almost yeah, almost like he's like an annoy.
Speaker 2: It's like when you work at a restaurant and you are a waiter and they're like the waitresses, right, and he's like the bus boy. That's basically how they talk. Damn, it's like he's like your annoying little brother and maybe he's cool, but and I think that kind of conversation and interaction, And like you said, Jason, what are the deals that are made between the small folk to get a favor or a tiny step up that don't mean a dragon ending war? Like what is it like to make those deals and play within that political playground but on this tiny scale of just how it affects your day to day life rather than the entirety of the seven kingdoms? That's so interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's talk more about those quarter Sans because I love them. I really enjoyed that scene. And you want to talk about proximity to power, there's an intimate proximity right with their line of work, and they make at one point, one of them makes the you know, makes this through line to Dunk and basically saying, don't we knights the competitors in this tournament and us the courtisions, don't we both entertain with our bodies essentially on paraphrasing, but basically says that. And I think it's a Dunk takes it in stride, and I think their read of him is really good off the bat. You know, you talk about a world in which you read of a man is going to be of paramount importance. They read him really well because he takes this really well. But it's also a comparison that I think would fall flat, perhaps dangerously flat, if you said that to like surf foss Away the right, you know, not the cousin the you know, or if you said it even to Sir Lionel. He might find it entertaining, but I think he might be insulted by it. What did you think of this week? Because I thought it was I thought it's a line that I it's a kind of comparison that I actually think about a lot as a sports fan.
Speaker 3: Hmm.
Speaker 1: But it's one that I think is uncomfortable for a lot of people.
Speaker 2: I agree, And I think it's actually another great part of the show, which is showing how you can translate modern conversations into the period of the space, because they make a great point and it is true, especially in the fact that you know in Game of Thrones Land, we know that in wester Ros, if you're a sex worker, you are very likely to get beaten to death with like a fucking you know, table leg So it's very similar to being a knight who is out there breaking his body every day. And I love that this is a conversation because in real life, you know, pro sex work circles, there are a lot of conversations about whether or not, you know, destroying your body working in an Amazon factory is any more or less dangerous or worthwhile than you know, using your body to have, you know, do sex work. So I think there is just so much interesting smart writing in this show show, and I think we're going to see Dunk collect these little things in the back of his mind in a way he doesn't even realize, because obviously he's very embarrassed and impressed and blushing when he meets these women. They're very funny, they're very forthright, so he doesn't take it in stride as a lesson. But I think we're going to get to see Dunk maybe take on those lessons and become a bit more of a voice for these people who haven't necessarily had it before, even if his voice is being a big tour guy who knocks rich knights off there, you know, posts at the Tawny, which is kind of what I'm hoping for a boo.
Speaker 1: Any thoughts on our courtisans.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think you read on it. Jason. Your interpretation of what the Cortison said is spot on, because I would imagine any other night would, first of all, before even thinking about it deeply, would simply be offended that Cortizon would compare Why how dare you compare me to what you do? You know you are beneath me talking about social stratification, right like cortisons and.
Speaker 1: Nights for reet a day.
Speaker 2: You know you can't.
Speaker 4: Compare my job to your job. That's insulting. But I think, even thinking about it more deeply, I think a traditional night in this system, someone who is a lord, who's landed, who has wealth and a castle, would imagine that their job is about them. I am bringing honor to my name, to my family. I'm out here on the court. This is about me. You are all cheering for me, and the cortis on here is saying, well, the reality is that the opposite is happening. You are putting your body on the line for my entertainment. I'm watching you get knocked off your horse and your helmet get beat in, and that's fun for me. So all you're really doing is putting your body on display, and so I find that really interesting. I'm glad you brought her up, Jason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love that, Jason. I have to ask you if there is a canonical reason that every time we have seen a sex wy chern Game of Throne she has red hair?
Speaker 1: Is this like aa? Is this like a face? Are they just like a wig? Like?
Speaker 2: I think that just like Hey, saucy redheaded, I.
Speaker 1: Think it's just become a thing over time. Like I mean, you know, much like much like Marvel Comics love for the red haired main partner, you know, main love interest. I think it's just become a thing over time. Okay, speaking of proximity to power, we get an incredible, probably the most lofty view of this proximity, when Sir Duncan meets Lord Lionel Barrathian in his tent, taken there by a young fossil way to go get some grub they walk in. Their immediate introduction to Lionel is he steals the entire tent because he's had quote a profound thought, And this is you want to talk about power. Power is any time in this world. Power is anytime the most simple thought comes into your mind that you feel like maybe that's worth sharing. You stop everybody in their tracks and make them fucking listen to you. And then he tells this his profound thought is, jousting was invented four thousand years ago. How do we know that it was actually men that invented it and not the gods? Because could men have come up with this? He really struggles to put that idea. He's like gets lost in the forest of his own mind. There he's very drunk, and then he's just like, fuck it, one hundred gold dragons, whoever can you know? Knock me off my horse? And then seeing Dunk is like, you know again, here's this power of just like I'm in my tent, I'm a great lord. This guy interests me. Call him over and I'm now gonna just ask him like, okay, what's your Do you have a gift for me? Like what is your deal? Like why are you here? Man? And this is it's it's a The whole thing is wonderful because first we see essentially Lionel get the measure of Dunk just trying to figure out who you know, what is your tall? Do you get punched a lot? Why are you here. You're not here wanting anything from me other than the free food of the tent. That's very interesting, Like I'm so bored all the time these people wanting stuff. I want to kind of know more about you. And then eventually it turns to Dunk being able to ask Lionel about night stuff. What's it like to fight? Like is it you? Were you ever scared? Like how did you manage to go out there and and compete your first time or fight in that battle? And am I do you think I can do it? And I just loved the entire sequence and I have to call out the Stanis Barathi and easter egg in which which in which Lionel is like, you know, just talking about heretics. It is like, you know, saying it's like what did he asks? Is his like right hand manly? What do they do to heretics? And guys like burn them? That's right, burn them? And it's like such a lighthearted callback that you didn't like, you a boo. I didn't register until my second or third Yeah, you wash, that's blake. But Leah, let's talk about this proximity to power. Lionel Brathy in a true wielder of power and dunk a novice wielded wielder of power trying to figure out how to act in a place such as this.
Speaker 2: Boo, Have you ever really seen in general fantasy before? Like, I found this moment to just be very unusual because there is a deep connection here that is absolutely erased of any of those social stratifications, just simply through like curiosity and in its own way, that is Lord Brathian's power, right, because he's so powerful that if he says this person is worthy of talking to, then you have to respect him. But I just found the whole connection between them, the friendship element, the flirtatious dancing, it felt very different to any ways we've ever seen, like a small person and you know, a royal interact and fantasy the same with the class structure in general. Is this Does that feel a little bit more unique to you because you definitely read a lot more fantasy than I do. But I found that to be quite different. It does.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Honestly, I was waiting the first time I watched this episode throughout this whole scene, I was waiting for the shoot to drop. I was like, right, okay, so Lionel's going to do something crazy, right, Dunk's going to get in trouble. That's what is expected to happen here. That is what lords in the Game of Throne universe do to, you know, nobody's like Duncan. And then it doesn't happen, and in fact, it becomes a really sweet scene of connection between these two guys, which I found really really fascinating, And I think this whole Lionel sequence kind of encapsulates both of the big idea as we've been talking about, the insider outsider and also the idea of the perspective of the small folk, because Duncan gets insider information right from a real deal night, a real deal lord. Lionel imparts some really sweet wisdom. He's like, hey, the God's made you tall. Stand up man, stand straight up, Like, don't slout, You're Dunk in the tall. You're Dunk in the tall, take up space. You're a Knight, aren't you. I really liked that part, and that's sort of the insider Night's perspective versus the outsider, fake knight, Sir Duncan trying to find his way. And then the other moment that really stood out to me was at one point they're talking about nightly warfare, and Lionel tells Dunk that it's a great honor to test yourself against a worthy foe, even if you fail. And Dunk has the opportunity here to really comment on that social stratification and the idea that like, your world is not my world, and he says, that's easy for you to say. You have an and inheritance one loss, and I won't be able to ransom my own horseback. And what is a nice without what is a knight without his horse? And this bout is fun and games for many of the wealthier knights here, but it is life and death for someone like Duncan. And that's sort of the reality of you know, social class in the real world.
Speaker 1: That's a great I love that exchange as well, and I on rewatch, I was I really noticed what comes before that because it opens that exchange opens with Barathian telling Dunk this story about some battle that he had taken part with on like that was at sea and this you know, the waves were rollicking and the salt spray and his face and Dunk asks him, weren't you afraid? And you know, fight on water like that, and you know you knew. It's clear from the implication is that this was and much earlier in Lionel's career as a leader. And Lionel basically says, you know, within a man, there are many men. And the Stormlanders, now I'm paraphrasing, have a legacy, you know, the Brathians have a specific legacy of warfare and achievement. They had done it. Therefore I could do it because I looked at all these people who had come before me, who bore the name, who live in this region, the kind of culture we have, and I understood that they could do it. I could do it because they did it. And what Dunk is essentially saying, beyond his response of like you have it, I'm broken, Like if I lose this horse, is all I have is there's a deeper like there's a deeper friction there that Dunk can't quite put his finger on in the moment, but you can feel him grappling with which is I don't have that. I don't I only have Sir Arlnd to show me that such things are possible. And I never saw him compete. He told me the stories, but I don't actually know what it's like. I can't call on this generations and centuries of example to strengthen my hand, Like I have to just basically be the first person that ever did it. I can't say, oh, well, my father did it, his great grandfather did it, and you know, the first Barathian did it. I don't have that beyond that, like I don't have the I don't forget the money, forget the resources. I have the title, But the person that I'm basing this entire thing on, I'm not even sure if what he's given me is right. And you can feel him struggling with that, and in fact, I would say, not a spoiler, but that's his struggle. The entire series too, is like, how do I know what Arlen told me is is right? And now let's go to these cutaways. I find them very interesting for a few reasons, Okay, the first being, this is a story that is we understand is told from Dunk's perspective, and so when we cut away, I'm thinking, for instance, when he finally corners Dundarian and is like, h Sarlon, he uh, he fought in your he forted your state, he took an hour for you. You don't remember him. And then we see that moment where like Sir Giera pulled up, So is that what happened or is that Dunk's perception of what happened based on what Sir Arlend told him. I think it must be the second, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Like it's about everything he is experiencing is his version of it. So he's like it was the most heroic thing and did da da? And then obviously Venerian's like, well, people get wounded for me all the time, like who fucking cares? But to Dunk, it's that he knows the story, the legend, And I think as well, there is something very relatable and appealing about that because also, like often that's how we feel about our parents, is like they just unleash us in the world and we're like, well, what do I do now? Like now I have to pay rent and like have a job and just kind of continue. And I think that's another thing I'm loving and I feel like is hitting with a lot of people and people outside of the Game of Thrones universe, is these conversations and these flashbacks and the different ways that they're using emotion and storytelling are actually appealing to people outside of the usual space I've seen people coming to this as a coming of age story rather than a fantasy piece, And I think that that all of the things we're talking about, but especially these notions of kind of like how we make choices and what our legacy is, and whether having a family name matters, and whether having a family matters, and whether they're following a traditional route that you're expected to follow. That is a perennially interesting story and probably why you're wrote this book in the first place. You know, these are themes that hit and to me, I am just loving following that specific part of Dunk's journey, and also I want to know what we're going to learn more about Sir Alan, Like, was there things he told him that were true? Were the things that he told him that weren't true? Does it? Matt do? Like is the point that Dunk being the night is the point?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: I just think all of that stuff is really interesting. A boo, Where do you see that kind of part of the conflict setting us up as we head into the rest of the season.
Speaker 4: Well, uh, Jason, I want to give you credit. I might have to go rewatch the episode again with your perspective in mind. Looking at the cutaways as purely Dunk's memories of his past with Sir Arlen, and not necessarily cutaways that are actual flashbacks to the truth, because that version of the cutaways didn't work for me. But I really like the idea of them being somewhat falsified mythologized to memories of a child growing up with exactly nobody knight In, traveling around west Rows uh and learning what he can from somebody who, ultimately, in the grander history of west Rows will not be remembered by anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that. I think that there is a very subtle, unreliable narrator y thing going on here, and it's and it's subtly layered because Dunk is his own I think unreliable narrator in a certain respect. It's again, it's her perspective, it's his memories, he remembering everything correctly. And secondarily, well, let's we'll save our judgment for when we see more. But I think it's quite reasonable to assume that Sir Arlen was not a reliable narrator life.
Speaker 3: I feel like Dunk, he just told him all these stories and we're not gonna know.
Speaker 1: I'm nuts, it's gonna be a night, but it's gonna be a big friction, right like did he yeah? Did he was he a knight? Did he claim he wasn't? Did he knight? Sir Duncan? Did he deal all these things he said he did? It's unclear, and certainly it's unclear right now. And I think that I think in that that conversation with Lionel, what Dunk is too afraid to talk about is when he's saying, like, can I do it? Do you think I could do it? Like, no, no, you can't, absolutely not, but that measurement, and and I think that I think what he's too afraid to ask is like, what if it's all what if it's all Hey, what if it's all fake? What if I what if I learned the wrong things? What if this guy told me the wrong stuff? What if everything he told me was is incorrect? Because I can't get a secondary source to confirm anything he's ever done to this point, and so like, what if it's all what if it's all fake and it's just me out there? How you know? Can I do it? And I think Lionel's response, I think is both brutal and actually like really up to like actually really meaningful for Dunk's life, which is, listen, you're not despite what you say to the clerk when you registered for the games, you're not gonna fucking win all the time. Yeah, But figuring out where you stack up against true opponents, like, you know, competent, powerful opponents. That's part of what's great about being a Knight. Now. Of course he's coming from the perspective of like endless coffers of money and impregnable castle and all that stuff, but it's kind of it is true, like if you want to be in this world, you're gonna have to measure yourself and that means getting used to losing at times. Yeah, I just love this exchange. The Lionel stuff is like, I think it's so it's the best stuff in the episode by far. It's so good.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: Finally, let's talk about the final moment of proximity to power, a true double outsider moment question, and it's when Dunk returns back to his campsite and finds that the egg is there, an eggs cooking a fish and eggs kept things up. Well, he isn't stolen from everything. Looks great, Canary in his like I'm a knight teapot double teapot stance, like with his cake thrown over his shoulder. Yeah, sir Duncan Dunk at the top, Yeah yeah yeah. And they sit down together and share this moment and it's hard to it's quite obvious. I don't know, and rewatch that, like the person who should be the most nervous Egg is not, and the person who should be the most confident with his status and power and privileged is not. Talk about this scene because it's clearly going to be the thing that launches us since the rest of the series.
Speaker 2: I think this chemistry casting is amazing. I think if you don't get Egg right, that's a really hard character to get right. And Jason, I think that we are so past even how good this casting is. And that is why Killed This scene works so well because you never question it, like it shouldn't be that way. Dunk is, you know whatever, six seven, Like for the kids, he's very tall, you.
Speaker 3: Know, like that's I guess I actually can't even take credit for that because I was talking recently about how I dated a guy who was six seven and then I got six seven. So now whenever I bring up a height, I'm like Okay, there's a chance.
Speaker 1: So yeah, but but but.
Speaker 2: He's very tall, he's very big. He should be imposing. We know he's a nice guy who loves eating pastries. Egg does not technically know that if he's just a stable boy. We see here the Egg also has skills that Dunk does not have. Egg is able to do washing, Egg is able to make food. Egg is able to make a fire. There is a power dynamic here that clearly shifts. And what I love about it is that, for once, it doesn't feel like a malicious or dangerous agenda. It feels like two outsiders trying to kind of navigate like, Okay, well, what do you know and what do you not know? And how can we maybe work alongside this? It also obviously sets up a Ducks Dexter Sault and Cell who's so good as Egg? As kind of are you know the brains in the brains and brawn double bill kind of twenty journey we're gonna be getting. I just I love this scene. Like I said, the so the luckies ours are alone, you know, has really inspired something in people. I just I thought it was magic and Jason, I think you're right. It again might not seem like a big scene, might seem like a cozy sequence by the fire, but if you dig in a little bit more, I think it really is going to establish a lot of where those two characters are going.
Speaker 1: Aboo.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Rosie, I agree with you completely. I think you said it beautifully. This was the perfect scene to end this first episode on. And I haven't watched ahead. I've read the book, so I generally know where things are going to go, but I haven't watched the show yet. But I think the casting is perfect, the chemistry is perfect. Egg. I do think is an extremely challenging character cast and they've absolutely nailed it. I think Jason on the official pod I was listening earlier and Iris said that Egg was maybe the first audition tape that they watched, and they went through so many other people and eventually just circled back to Eventually they just circled circled back to Dexter. So I think they absolutely crushed it, and just a sweet, sweet scene to end on. I really really loved that the final moments of this episode were about the shooting star. It just establishes their Relationshi Chip and the tone of the show beautifully.
Speaker 1: It's also like, you know you speaking of being an outsider and not knowing how to act in a position of power. I just love that He's another night would be like, would not ask for the explanation. So how is it? How does it work? If we saw it? Do we get it? That's ours or what? Yeah? We share it with her?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I loved it too. Uh. Let's leave with our favorite moments from the episode A boot for.
Speaker 4: Me, I think it was the moment where Dunk is talking to the courtisans and he just says, do you have to make fun of me? And my heart just ached so much for Duncan in that moment and seeing the courtisans immediately shift right. They're going from like, yes, we're teasing our younger brother and like annoying the shit out of him to suddenly like, wait, you are our younger brother though, and we're all on the same team. Let's let us actually talk to you. I find I found that shift really impactful, and I love that moment.
Speaker 2: Rosie, Yeah, to talk about when we haven't talked about yet A boo fantastic pick, by the way. I just loved the first interaction when Dunk is in talking to the innkeeper and we get that it's very on the nose, but that kind of like, well, guess what, the tawny has never made eggs cheaper. I think that is a good line in the sand of Hey, even if you're here for the fantasy, for the cozy lord of the Rings adventure aspect, we are also talking about a world where the wealth divide is unbelievable, and there are people here who enable all of the beautiful costumes an incredible mummery, and the people who build the fucking places where people are doing jousting like we're gonna get to hear from them, and that to me is so exciting, and so I just want to I think they did a good job there of saying, hey, here's our little steak in the ground, and if you keep watching, you're gonna get more of that. Jason, what about you?
Speaker 1: For me, it's it's the kind of back to back moments where he looks at the golden dragon on the table with like awe and not greed, but but kind of a longing of I will never have I will never hold anywhere close to that much money in my hand, that kind of look, and then that contrasted with a few moments later when he's you know, leaving the stable and he's on his horse and he and he's like, fuck a night. A night would a true knight, an honorable night, would would give this stable boy a little something for his trouble. Like he did everything that I asked him to do for the most part, and like, my shit, and that's what a true knight would do. And and you could see how hard it is to part with the meager copper that he has, like basically any but it's all he has. And that moment, I think really carried a lot about what Dunk is, dunk struggle, what he's trying to do. And I thought it was really well done. And even even the part of him which feels, you know, of him just like pitching it into the ground and be like, yeah, I know you're gonna pick it up. I know you're gonna pick it up later. You're gonna pick it up. Like it seems he does it so halfheartedly mm hmm. You know, but again, this is Dunk carrying out what he thinks is a knight's duty, what a knight does, and it's it's.
Speaker 2: One of love that he says, you know, he says it because I also think he knows that if it was him and when he was a kid, and even now, he'd probably still scrabble up and get it. So he's also like he's saying it in a in a sassy, like I'm a cuing way, but he's also saying like, hey, do't fucking act proud like I gave you the money. Just pick it up like it doesn't matter, like I get it. And I think that duality between yeah, Dunk's own personal experiences and then him trying to pretend that he is kind of more noble, more high born, that's a really interesting duality. So great page.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then and so to your point, like trying to connect with egg about like, hey, I get it, you know, I know. It's like I get what it's like to have no money. Believe me, because now I have no money. And guess what, I don't have any money now either. And if you walked away, I would get down on my heads. And he's and picked the thing up, get it. Well, this was a wonderful conversation. We're gonna We're gonna be covering a nine of the Seven Kingdoms all season, with two episodes a week. On the next episode of Extra Vision. We're breaking down the biggest news of the week. That's it for this episode, Extra Listening by x ray Vision is hosted by Jason steps Young and Rosie Night and is a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abusafar.
Speaker 2: Our producers are Common laurent Ian Jonathan.
Speaker 1: And Fay Wack. A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rubin.
Speaker 3: Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi are discord moderator.