Speaker 1: Command this family.
Speaker 2: It is week seven, that means we're taking on the Caroline of Panthers.
Speaker 1: Here. Coach Dan quinns fitted.
Speaker 2: Us and talks about that matchup, and it's alumni week. That's right, Darryl greens Jersey is being retired at the game. We talk about Washington's winning legacy in the show.
Speaker 1: All that more on the game plan.
Speaker 2: Welcoming in our head Coach dan Quinn. Now, coach you and Logan will be getting to the firm room a little later in the show. However, looking back at that Baltimore game, what did you see from the film from the Baltimore game that you guys can grow on this week?
Speaker 3: Well, I think coming out of it, obviously we're been out of shape, we're disappointed to go. But to a man, what I heard in the locker, man, we're we're gonna learn from this, and I think that's what you want to make sure you do, that you learn the lessons that apply to you. And so it was our first time good heavyweight fight, and I want us to be very comfortable in those environments, and so I'm glad that we had that one. We know where we stood, we're to improve upon and that's really important to know. Everybody says that, but what do you actually do about it? And so getting into this week, you know, you get to relentlessly go after some of the things that you want to get better at. So that's the message coming out of it, said, we need to find that next gear when it comes time to go, get back in it, go close it, go make the play that next gear.
Speaker 1: That's that's a big deal.
Speaker 4: That's going to make you feel good though, coach to know that the guys are all kind of wired that same way, like they want to get better, they want to be more competitive, Like what's I mean, it's so new, but that's got to like just be such an optimistic thing for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And like we were not going in there to try to you know, hang in, Like we're going there to win it, and we're going to be aggressive and bold in our shots. But we did learn and we're not there yet, but that doesn't mean we're not there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And so it's week seven and we got a lot of work to do between seven and eighteen. And I told the team, how would we do seven weeks? How would our team today do against the team from seven weeks ago? And to a man, we say, we would absolutely kick the You know what, the week team won, I said, well, that's progress that has to happen again. And so seven more weeks from now, ten weeks from now has to be able to whoop this team. And that comes from finding the things to improve upon. And we've got a tough group of guys and I'm proud of the fight, but it still there's lots of work to get done.
Speaker 2: And coach, you said, it's only week seven. It's a very long season, and this front end of the season has been a lot of road trips and all that.
Speaker 1: How have you kept the guys locked in up until this point?
Speaker 3: We really, honestly like, don't think about the season and think of like the military when they're undeployment and they have to go away. You just have to focus on the mission that you're on, and that for us is that game for that week. And so we'll let you guys talk about other things down the road and divisions and all those things, but for us, it just comes down to how good can we get and it's just this week to go get it on and play our way and our style and capture that for the team and for our fans. So every time we get it on like that's how we do it.
Speaker 4: That's it. It'd be super helpful because you go from like the emotional high and you can kind of flush it and you're on to the next one. Right with Carolina, And again, Carolina is a team in the NFL and they're a competitive ball club. But it's it's got to be nice to be siloed like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we just there's so many things we know we can do better, and so that's what we want to like aggressively go after man to say what are the things, how do we do it?
Speaker 1: What does that look like to get better?
Speaker 3: And so seeing the guys that practice, their connection, their willingness to put in the work to do it, that's where a lot of this toughness comes from. Logan, like they're doing it on the practice field. To bring it into the game. It's not just hey man, let's crank it up. It's game day.
Speaker 1: So like it's every time we battle.
Speaker 2: And talk about it, be about it, right, that's right, And coach the Panthers made a pivot to Andy Dalton. He will be the quarterback that you will be facing. He's probably the most tenured quarterback we faced so far. How do you prepare for a guy that has so much longevity in this league.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's really got a remarkable like consistency about the decision making. Think of a little bit like the point guard who knows and can see things that others can't see. It's when to speed up again and sublitz, you know, is when to you know, throw it to a certain leverage onto somebody. They get him outside the pocket on keepers. They've got a very good run game to balance that out.
Speaker 1: And so.
Speaker 3: Having a veteran you know that's able to step in in the moments that you need him to is very important. And uh I still Brice's excellent player. And however, they want to manage their guys, but alt Dalton specifically really has a full command of everything.
Speaker 1: And that's what you see when you study to take.
Speaker 4: Another thing that comes out when you watch the film to me anyway, is the offensive line seeps to be playing pretty good ball. You mentioned they want to lean on them. Running the football at tubehoverd has been pretty efficient, you know, maybe not the total yardage, but pretty efficient. How do you handle a group that's playing well like that? And then a running back, that's that could be productive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anytime a runner to me is over five yards and he's at like five at to carry man he's doing work.
Speaker 1: Is man and game.
Speaker 3: He plays tough, He's got a one cut style that can get downhill in a hurry. Got a lot of respect for the especially the interior of their offensive line. They added two new guards during free agency this season and they are strong and so the two of them inside zone scheme, get onto people, get to the next level. The balance of the run and the play pass. That's where we have to be at our best.
Speaker 2: And coach you mentioned those interior linemen, wellf we're missing an interior linement on the defensive side of the ball. Jonathan Allen a big piece. How do you supplement that loss?
Speaker 3: You know, that's a tough blow for sure, and John's got so much experience and toughness to add to the group. Johnny Newton will be the one that will take on, you know, a good bit of that work, and Johnny's ready to do that. You know, he missed some time in the offseason and in the first part of training camp, but now that the reps are coming, there'll be some on the job training for him. But this is a player I'm telling you, man like, he is made.
Speaker 1: Of the right stuff.
Speaker 3: He is tough, He's going to play nasty and physical, and the more reps he's going to play, the better he's going to get. So he will take on a good bit of that and then it will that Sphil will take on to some is that as we go, but definitely a tough blow for us.
Speaker 1: How do you help those guys out?
Speaker 4: I mean they're young players, you know in experience to a certain extent, I think there's some things you can do schematically, like do you lean into that this week going against Carolina?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you have to, And I think what you want to make sure you do and let me you know this firsthand. Do the things that you can do really well?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 3: And you want to start from there and then build around that. And so that doesn't mean you know twelve different fronts. That means these are the things that we know we can feature. These are the stones, the movements, the blitzes that man, I could hit that one ten out of ten and aggressively go get it. And for every position that's the case, but especially when you're working in some people that you know are making their mark, You've got to be able to deliver on the things that they do really well.
Speaker 2: Seem like that when in Arizona was a little sweeter because of the history that some of our coaching staff and players had with that team. Now we're playing another team where some of our top defenders are starters have history with the Carolina Panthers. Is there a little extra motivation for those guys as a team because everybody is so close to go out there and get on against these forman teams.
Speaker 3: You know what, it's more teammate to teammate and sort of guys like for Frankie or Jeremy certainly a lot of teammates that they've still played with and battled with, and as that goes on, there's a lot of fun that goes with that. You know, you've been in the locker room in the fights with those guys and then you get to go play against them and they'll be a little talking back and forth at times, but by and large, my experience been lots of respect. You know, when you go to play against somebody that you played you have so much history and gave it. You're all there and it's mostly the teammate to teammate's that's the connection, and that's the bond that players have with one another. They'll always be you know, guys that played together at whether it's Carolina or Washington wherever that is, and that mutual respect to me is always something that's kind of fun as the season goes along.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, so obviously that's the defense side of football. Offensive side, like they kind of play what I would say like a bend but don't break kind of defensive structure. How do you kind of make sure Jane Daniel's ready for the challenges coming in there.
Speaker 3: Number One, it's the way that we attack and that has to be just the downpour of aggression, the run game, the play pass, the way we attack using tempo, not using tempo, different personnel packages to go. There's so many spaces for us to get stronger, and that's been the goal for us this week to go into this game to.
Speaker 1: Play like us.
Speaker 3: And we got lots of regard for Carolina, their staff, who they are, the players there, but ultimately we've got to get the preparation right so we can absolutely let it rip and do our thing at full speed, no hesitation and absolutely going after it you.
Speaker 4: Say, play like us, like offensively? What does that mean for you? You know what I'm saying, Like when you're saying this is what Commander's offense looks like.
Speaker 1: What does that mean? I would say it's attacking. There's tempo involved.
Speaker 3: There's an excellent balance of run and pass right that we get to that space to go or run game and play pass and owning the times of possession. And we're usually at our best logan when runs and completions are over fifty five.
Speaker 1: We've had a number of.
Speaker 3: Games that are in space where a quick game or a screen you know that you know is a bubble that gains five or six yards, and if that was an extended handoff, that would be the same. So I don't always think of it as just runs. Sure to think of it as runs and completions. When you add those two together and you're in the fifties, now you're starting to talk about time of possessions and third downs and the you know, owning the clock and if we can do that over and over again, our guys are really tough minded, and when it comes time to go close into that space, we've got to be able to do that.
Speaker 2: And it's all about taking advantage of weaknesses right, And it seems like the Panthers really struggle against the run. Our run expressing attack has been a phenomenal and we do not know if Brian Robinson Junior will be playing or not as of yet. However, how can we be effective on the run through the ground.
Speaker 3: I think when you talk about, you know, a run game, you know, having the versatility is a big piece of it. Gap schemes and zone schemes and who's involved and how do you do it. That's where you start. And so we haven't shown all the things that we do. But having Brian you know, in the rotation along with Austin and j Mack, the three of them together really.
Speaker 1: Puts us at our best.
Speaker 3: And it's the tight ends, it's the receivers blocking downfield. So and say it's it's not as much of you know, kind of how they do it. It's really comes down to how we do it and our commitment to that and our physicality that we want to play with. That's why I keep coming back to us. There's so many areas for us to improve, and we're absolutely digging in as hard as we can to.
Speaker 1: Go do that, coach.
Speaker 2: This weekend, we're retiring Darryl Green's jersey. And one of the first things you and Anna Peters did when coming through this building, you guys said, Darryl Green, come in, You spoke with him, you walked with him. Why was that so important to do one of the first things you did when.
Speaker 1: You got here. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think when you're looking at an organization, you're looking for standards, and Darryl's standard as a ballplayer and as a man are so high and so from Super Bowl champion to Hall of Fame player to Walter Payton, you know, NFL Man of the Year. So when you have your on the field world in order and you're off the field ward world in order, and those two things intersect, there's some pretty cool things. And I don't think this one will ever be broken. But nineteen consecutive years with an interception, Yeah, come on, what are we talking about? So that's amazing as a skill position player, and so standards, I would say, is the biggest reason.
Speaker 1: Were you a fan of him?
Speaker 4: Like when you're watching football, I.
Speaker 3: Was, and you know, I think all of us remember the speed, but there's also a physicality that he played with and that doesn't always happen at that position in our league, and he definitely did it. But I think the standard you know, how he played is what I remember that what set him apart.
Speaker 2: And coach, I think it's so cool walk around this building. You see so many legends. You got Logan walking around Santana, Fred. You have all of these guys out here that played the game at a high level and that can teach these guys some good things. How valuable has that been for you as a coach coming into this building and seeing how the legends support this team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's huge. And to me, it starts with Doug Williams.
Speaker 3: And you haven't felt support unless you felt support from Doug, Like he has your back and you feel it and you know it. And so to be able to walk in news office or discuss some things or talk about something with him is so important. And so to me having him here on a regular basis that I get to go talk to about it. And let's be honest. To know where you want to go, you also have to know where you've been. And so I guess an important thing. We know where we want to get to. But it's not like we're doing something that's never been done before here, and so we want to make sure we can capture any information, any nugget that any of these guys that could share what was the reason, why did that happen? What was there one thing that took place in your career that if we could share that with this generation of player, then maybe they're able to create their own standard about what it looks like moving forward. And I think that's a really cool thing to connect the past players with the present ones. And what better weekend to do it than one that we're on and one of the best that's ever done it.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, coach, that insight and game is very valuable, and your insight and game is always valuableas for taking time.
Speaker 1: With this coach, good luck today.
Speaker 2: All right, thanks guys, Commands family, We know you are enjoying the game plan. However, if you want to see Coach and Logan Paul said break down plays in the film room, you could check that out on the Commander's YouTube page. So Logan, very special weekend this weekend, alumni weekend. We're retiring Darryl Greene Jersey, So why not end the show talking about our winning legacy that is our king to a victory is our winning legacy. So let's start with some legends that we love so much. First up, London Fletcher.
Speaker 4: The captain man. And you know, I didn't know who London Fletcher was until I came and played here, but watching his professionalism, watching how well like what excellent looked like on an everyday basis, London Fletcher is for sure a legend here. It should be in the Hall of Fame. I'm really excited they get to work with them now, and then we get to work with them together.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's so great.
Speaker 2: I think I get to play with him, like you get all three of these guys. However, I've got to work with him in the studio, and man, he takes his job so seriously. I can only imagine how he was on that football field. Then our guy missed the cool, the goldst guy probably ever met, mister eight and nine tanam Loss So.
Speaker 4: I grew up in California, obviously, and it wasn't like a local fan of the team, but like from afar Man, just what he's able to do with the football in his hands was so unique for the time, like the explosiveness, the dynamic playmaker and then coming to the commander to the Redskins at the time and being like he was the coolest guy you've ever met, right, Yeah, the wost guy I remember, just the kindest human being and so like, again, excellent football player, but a nextlee human beings.
Speaker 2: And transcended the game. Guys like him, or is why the games played today? Three Hill isn't around if it's not for a guy like Santanta Maw's then your boy number forty seven Chris Cooley.
Speaker 4: Captain Chaos and Captain Kass to me again like I got to play with the same with him, but I was a fan in California of him because of what he was able to do with the football and how he kind of changed his position. He kind of said, Titans now can catch the football, we can block, we can line up at wide receiver, we can do all sorts of different things. And he was to me one of those first guys to get I'd done. And then you know, thankful to him. I got a broken nose now, right, He's the guy that did it for me. So again, awesome, dude, all these guys are awesome guys, teammates, players, and for sure legends in the in the Commanders community, and what I.
Speaker 2: See it, Chris Cooley, I just think about your nose, Logan Paulton, so it was nice.
Speaker 1: For you to put them on this list, even though he broke your nose.
Speaker 2: Commanders Family, we have the Carolina Panthers today. I hope you enjoyed the alumni game and seeing Darryl Green's jersey retired for head coach dan Quinn, Logan Paulson, and Brian Colver Junior.
Speaker 1: This is the game plan. Let's get this due.
Speaker 2: Commander's family. You could catch us every Sunday on WSA nine Sunday mornings before year games. This is game plan with Brian Colver Junior, Logan Paulson, head coach Dan Quinn till next Sunday.
Speaker 1: Commanders Family. Yeah,