Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news. This is Bloomberg Business Weekdaily reporting from the magazine that helps global leaders stay ahead with insight on the people, companies, and trends shaping today's complex economy. Plus global business finance and tech news as it happens. The Bloomberg Business Week Daily Podcast with Carol Masser and Tim Stenebeck on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: Tod is FED Wednesday a FED Wednesday, August nineteenth, twenty twenty six. Let's head to the Federal Reserve and those latest minutes and Michael McKee, Mike.
Speaker 3: Well, Kevin Warsh was right. The minutes do suggest there was a bit of an old fashioned family fight at the July meeting as participants argued over the outlook for inflation and monetary policy. Two lines of general agreements stand out. Many participants sussess that policy tightening would likely be necessary if inflation did not decline. Now, remember this meeting took place after the June CPI report that showed inflation had declined more than anticipated, and participants judged that their inflation outlooks were highly uncertain and that inflation risks were skewed to the upside. Many participants noted that the recent re escalation of the conflict in the Middle East significantly clouded the inflation outlook. Inflation was first and foremost in the debate, and the committee's counting words show a lot of division. Several participants noted that price increases over the past year were broad based, and some said underlying inflation appeared to be elevated. AI spending had also been subject to price pressures, but inflation expectations remained contained, and most participants anticipated inflation would step down over the rest of the year as the effects of tariffs and earlier energy price increases wane. But again, what many participants noted the possibility that inflation might be more persistently elevated. Several noted companies had accommodated price increases by compressing margins, but they suggested if the Middle East a conflict went on, they might have to raise prices, while a couple noted that business contacts judged consumers would resist those price increases. They also disagreed on the impact of AI at the moment, with some noting its inflation risks in the short run, while some also said AI productivity increases would cancel that out. In the end, most members agreed to hold rates at that meeting under the assumption that additional data before September would offer more clarity. And speaking of additional meetings, Chairman Wars suggested six scheduled meetings per year to the committee, held roughly every two months, saying that would allow more information to accumulate between meetings and provide policy makers and staff with more time to consider what he called strategic policy issues. Walsh asked for input from the committee, and no decision was reached at the meeting, other than there would be no changes made this year.
Speaker 2: All right, Michael McKee there at the Federal Reserve. Mike, you're going to stay with us. I'm just looking quickly here in terms of market reaction, a little bit of a lift to the equity trade. I did see the S and P up about twenty two points ahead of these FED minutes. They're are now up about thirty two. The Nasdaq one hundred was just down a fraction of a point, now it's up about two and a half points. And let's go on over to what we are seeing in terms of US Treasury yields, and we have seen a little bit of a dip lower. So where's that two year note right now? For eighteen five year note with yield of four to thirty five, and you've got that ten year note with the yield of four to sixty five. Mike, interesting, first of all, six minute six meetings by the FMC would be two less than what's on the calendar currently. What's sticking out here for you? Following the latest FED meeting? You were there in the room put a question to Kevin Worsh FED share that many thought was really smart in terms of like what are you watching to figure out kind of where we go next? But tell us, based off of these minutes, if you got any more clarity about what the FMC is thinking.
Speaker 3: I think with a minute show is that the committee was much more divided than people had anticipated. The counting words that they use, the adjectives for how many people were on one side or another are much more in evidence in this set of minutes than I think I've ever seen, and especially the words some and several look sounds like basically there were people who had opinions on a whole range of things that were expressed, which Worsh said he wants to see. But it didn't suggest at this point that they have any kind of unified view about what's going to happen in the future with inflation. They did say it's very uncertain at this time. My thought was that three weeks ago, when this meeting took place, they might have still been leaning towards the idea of a September ratecot. Now we've seen some changes to that view since then in the markets, But this was somewhat hawkish group of people who were concerned about inflation and the fact that they didn't know what was going to happen.
Speaker 4: So, Mike, we're likely to hear from the Fed again in just a week from now at Jackson Hole. Now that we've looked through the minutes and we have maybe a little bit more of an understanding of how they're thinking about inflationary pressures and the health of the economy, does it inform us at all about what we're going to hear next week.
Speaker 5: I don't really think so.
Speaker 3: Because of the stance that Kevin Warrish has taken about not giving any kind of forward guidance, I suspect that he might offer a little bit more in terms of what their framework for monetary policy is what's their reaction function, and he may outline more about what he's trying to do with his task forces and reforms at the FED, and then finally maybe some more comment on how many meetings they might have. But I don't think the markets are going to have a takeaway that the FED is going to do this or that in the way that they have after some chairman's addresses there.
Speaker 2: What's not answered for you, Mike in these minutes, Like we always get more detail right of what was going on at the meeting, but what is really missing here for you still.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't think we get a real clear view of what's going to happen ahead. There was general agreement that if inflation doesn't come down, they might have to raise rates, but there was also general agreement that the inflation picture was extremely cloudy. They said in the minutes that they were hoping the fact that they would have two CPI reports, two PPI reports, two PSEE reports before the next meeting would give them more clarity. And I think that's still where we are today.
Speaker 4: And Mike, just a reaction today, pivoting away from the FOMC minutes, but on this news of the Treasury and debt buybacks.
Speaker 2: It's all kind of related, but I'm just curious, Mike. You know, the Treasury does this, but the size and the timing of it is super interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the size is very small compared to the size of the overall treasury market, and it isn't going to have much of an impact in and of itself. It's more of a signal from the Treasury that they don't like the direction interest rates have been going in and they might try to convince markets not to push up rates so aggressively. Whether that works or not, we'll have to see a lot of shortcovering today, according to the bond strategists I've talked to. But what we're seeing is the Treasury using one of its tools, and that is a maturity curve to try to control what might happen. Buying more at the short end and buying back fewer at the long end gives some more Buying back more at the long end gives more money into the system so that people can buy more bonds. But the maturity shift does put some risk into what they're doing. What's interesting is also Scott Bessett was very critical of Janet Yellen for doing the same thing when she was Treasury Secretary, and now he finds himself doing it. And I guess the kind of the bottom line here for the FED is that if you want to bring down lower rates, one good way to do that would be to raise short rates, because then that gives the markets more credibility for the FED on inflation, and that could bring down the long end.
Speaker 2: So do as I do, not as I say. Is that what that is? I don't know, not sure.
Speaker 3: Well you can imagine Kevin worsh going to the White House and saying, look, I raised rates, but mortgage rates are coming down because the ten years lower. So I gave you what you wanted in a different way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's be happy about this. Hey, Mike mckaith, thank you so much. All over this, obviously, the Fed minutes and then headed off to Jackson holsud Mike, thank you so much. Michael McKee, he's Bloomberg TV and Radio International Economics and Policy correspondent. He's there at the Federal Reserve in DC.
Speaker 6: Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Business Week Daily coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week Daily podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons. From two to five eas during this Listen on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: I got to say, we want to stay on this and we're going to even dig deeper into the entire macro. We're going to do that with Jim Karen. He's CIO at Morgan Stanley Investment Management. But we want to know more right now, Mike setting us up so well, Joining us once again is Karen Vera Perry. She's head of US I shares fixed income strategy over Blackrock. Joining us from San Francisco, massive firm. You know it so well. They've got fifteen point three trillion in sits under management. That says at this end of the second quarter, world's largest asset manager. Hey, good to have you here with us. Excuse me, the FOMC minutes anything of a note for you.
Speaker 7: I think it was really interesting that the whole market is looking at the minutes today and they're trying to decide. We had three dissenters last meeting. Was how what was the discussion actually, like, what is the federally thinking? So for me, when I looked at at the summary real quick, I was just thinking we're probably they're probably leader leaning closer to actually hiking rates, and there was a lot of uncertainty to note in the minutes, and so I think that really opens up the path of rates in different directions. And I think that's why we're seeing so much scrutiny of every little little piece of language is we're just seeing how the Fed's going to react to the cycle.
Speaker 4: And Karen, what do you make of the treasury moves today? Because it's interesting, you know, the minutes suggesting maybe more hawkish Fed than we had previously thought, but the two year yield actually moved down a little bit, and then of course the long end moving down quite a bit today, but still elevated levels. What's really driving the yield curve right now?
Speaker 7: I think you're put in the two year is quite interesting because I saw the FED fund's futures and they didn't really move much after the minutes. I know, we've only had a few minutes to digest, but that too year point is really driven on where we think the Fed's going to go.
Speaker 5: So if you.
Speaker 7: Know, we're on hold for a little while, we could see some more steadiness there, but then if it backs off a little bit we could see it go down, and then I think the actions today with the Treasury buyback program are really a signal to the market that we're trying to put a lid on long term interest rates. And then we saw the twenty year Treasury auction came out earlier today, sixteen billion dollars printed, and I think that that we saw some strong metrics there on that twenty year auction, keeping it around five point two on the coupon. So I think that was their signal to the market saying that we're not going to just let this run. We're going to put a cap on rates, and we're going to do that with our buyback perpose.
Speaker 2: Well, have they talked to the higher scalers you keep issuing, you know and tapping the credit markets. We had a great story on Monday, Karen. They just got into this whole idea of the constant issuance from all of these big tech firms tapping the debt markets and how that might be crowding out potentially, you know, some of the Treasury trade. What is your position on that.
Speaker 7: We've just seen a lot of to your point, crowding out where there's a lot of people looking for yield, looking to turn out some duration. They could do it with some of these hyperscaler long duration corporate bonds as opposed to going with treasuries. We've actually seen this quarter six billion dollars coming into TLT that's our twenty plus treasure ETF. So when we've seen levels hit over five percent of the long bonds, we do see some people coming in and buying them via the ETFs. We've seen a couple of their trades in our strips ETF GOVZ and even one of our twenty fifty six I bonds.
Speaker 2: Some pretty big.
Speaker 7: Trades coming in when it hits at levels. And then more broadly with adding duration of port folios, we think long term unis is another interesting way to do it, and that's really performed well this year with long munis up four percent year to date, where we've seen you long treasures are down three percent year to date on a total return. So there's some I think there's some ways to add duration and portfolios very thoughtfully in this market as we're seeing yields come back.
Speaker 2: Up, go back to flows. Because I always love, we always love talking with you about this, you said, I mean, you guys have had a pretty active month right so far in August in terms of money going into in particular longer term bond funds.
Speaker 7: Yeah, usually it's pretty sleepy in August sometimes with people on vacation, but I think this month when people are paying attention and whenever we see yields tick up, flows coming in. As I mentioned to TLT, overall government bond ETFs have seen almost ninety billion dollars year to date, so I think a lot of people are using eatfs to tap this part of the treasury market. Other interesting things that people are doing across the curve. We're just seeing a lot of interested inflation linked bonds. That's been a big topic this month. You can get real yields of three percent plus some inflation protection. So we've had probably an uptick in inquiries about tips this month because of that.
Speaker 4: So you mentioned, you know, the five percent level. Do you think that that level holds, that there is a moment, you know, where treasuries do become attractive and buyers step in because a lot of people this morning we're talking about bond vigilantes, you know, in the push and pull.
Speaker 5: There with the government.
Speaker 4: But do you think that there is you know, demand here for yields at this.
Speaker 7: Level, I think so, I think a lot of liability driven accounts this helps them ammunize some of their liabilities. I think there's a group of people who do who do think rates are going to come back down or tick back down. But I think we're in an environment where there's a lot of uncertainty with inflation, and that's going to call for at least the term premium being positive around these levels for a little while.
Speaker 2: So, huh, what's the risk here? I just feel like, Karen, there's just still a fair amount of uncertainty, And I just feel like in terms of indications of what the Fed does, you know, whether it hikes rates, cuts rates. You know, now we're having part of the narrative an expectation that maybe it's later next year that we're going to see rates cut. But there's still so much that comes out of the White House in terms of tariffs, more tariffs, less terrorifts, backing off, going forward, a war that sends energy prices higher. Help me understand what matters you think most to what we see in terms of yield, whether it you know, and and I'm curious what the tops are that you're watching for something like the ten year Yeah, I think.
Speaker 7: I think for a lot of people don't get deterred by a lot of the geopolitical headlines and even specialized events like today with the buyback program announcement. I think right now in this market, yield is your best friend that buys you as price volatility and rates and treasuries look add incomes your portfolio. So we're helping people look, you know, beyond government bonds and a corporates even going global, and if you can add five to six percent income to portfolios, you can buffer some of these treasury movements that are happening, or you can just not play this game. We're seeing a lot of interest in intermediate bonds, people sticking to under ten years. We actually launched a one to ten year treasury ETF earlier this year, the tickers gov M, SO GOVM, and we're seeing people just cutting out the long end of their portfolios. I don't want all the volatility. I can still get ninety percent of the yield pick up by going to more intermediate bonds. And so that's really what we would coach people on. Think about the long term strategy. There's going to be some volatility and fixed income, but add some yield that's going to buffer out some of these price movements we're seeing.
Speaker 4: Hey, what about in credit because a lot of these hyperscalers are issuing super long dated debt. We're talking fifty even, I've seen one hundred year debt. Is that attractive to clients right now?
Speaker 7: I think they're There's definitely some clients who are willing to buy for out that far because they do want to lock in yields for a certain amount of time, and plus some of them want access to the names, like they feel very comfortable with the with the underlying issuers in the market. But we would just say stay divers fied, you know, don't pull your eggs in one basket. And we have seen credit spreads historically are still at very tight levels on IG credit. So we're seeing people move away from IG credit just some securitized sectors to add income. And so that's that's been a trend that we're seeing, is people aren't just going to credit, they're looking for maybe other sources of income outside.
Speaker 2: All right, just thirty seconds. So you know we've all been coming in on Monday and concerned about the move up that we've seen in global bond yields and there's concerns whether it's the war, higher oil prices, governments spending more than they're bringing in. You're not concerned about that that that overall pushes rates higher, and in particular in the US. And again just got about twenty five seconds here.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think where it's it's definitely something we're watching. We don't want to be overexposed to any single risk factor, and so I think that there's definitely an argument for staying really short and if that's what you want to do. We've definitely seen a lot of money coming into ultra short exposures like our escov etf just hit one hundred billion, as people are just hiding in cash and avoiding all all the ball to lie.
Speaker 2: Perfect guests to have on what we call a FED day FOD minutes day. Karen, thanks so much. Be well, be WEIW Karen Barrett Perry. She's head of USI Shares Fixed Income strategy over at black Rock, joining us from San Francisco.
Speaker 6: Stay with us more from Bloomberg Business Week Daily coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week Daily podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five these during this listen on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Let's get to it. Jim Karen perfect voice. We like to touch in with him every quarter. With everything that's coming at us, we're a little bit We look at what's happened, but we also look ahead in a big way. Jim, of course as chief investment Officer of Forlio Solutions at Morgan Stanley Investment Management, joining us. Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 5: It's been June. Thank you for having me on your show.
Speaker 2: Been a little crazy of a day. So you were going to save us. We kicked off with the news this morning coming out of the Treasury. Significant in your review.
Speaker 5: Yeah, look, it's significant.
Speaker 8: But the first thing we have to do is take a step back and breathe a little bit and really put this into context. Okay, So the Treasury has a long tradition of managing the refancy risk and the rollover risk of government bonds, right, that's their job. They do that by managing the average duration of the overall debt. That debt has ranged between call it five and six years plus or minus maybe a month or so. We measure this in terms of months, so I'm been talking in terms of months, not years here. So right now today, the current level duration level, the average maturity, let's call that, the duration is seventy one months. The high in that was about seventy five months back in twenty twenty three. The twenty year average of the duration of treasury debt is sixty five months.
Speaker 2: This is high.
Speaker 8: So today we are at a high level of duration of treasury debt in markets. Does it make sense to bring it down to say, maybe the average over time? Sure, this is just this is just debt management one oh one, Right, So this isn't something that I would say is extraordinary. We are still in that five to six year duration range of treasury debt. We're at the high end of that right now, five years and eleven months. Right, Maybe we bring it down to five years and eight months or five years and nine months or something like that. I don't know if they have a target in mind, but that I don't see this as overly historically significant.
Speaker 4: It's interesting because just as you're talking, we got a headline out of the Bloomberg terminal, which is I mean very relevant. US total public debt outstanding exceeds a record forty trillion. I mean, this is like it's something that I feel like traders kind of forget about, and the debt pile in the US, it kind of lingers in the background, but it's come front and center this week and kind of this whole summer as these yields have been really moving up.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so let's put that into context on a global scale as well, right, because you're right, You're absolutely right. Yields are moving higher. I think that's the trend. So if I look at let's just look at the thirty year long pond, because that's what everybody's talking about today. If I think about thirty year Japan, all right, thirty year JGB yields, those have risen sixty two basis points year to day. If I think about Germany, German Bund yields have risen about forty five basis points year to date. Treasury thirty year bonds have risen forty basis points year to date, so very much in line with Germany, less than Japan. The significance here is that we are at a secular shift in the interest rate cycle, where we had gone down in rates for forty years from nineteen eighty one to twenty twenty one. We started to move higher in yields right from twenty twenty two onwards. And now what the world is lost is the is the bond yield anchor, which is Japan. Japanese yields were typically very low and very stable for a very long time. Now those yields are moving up. Thirty year JGB yields are about four point one percent. That's higher than thirty year German yields. Right, you know, when you know you have to kind of go back in time for this, So the market is losing some of its anchor towards lower yields. So the question now for treasuries, not just the US Treasury, but treasuries and you know treasury departments the equivalents thereof in the UK, in Germany, in Japan and everywhere else, is to try their best to try to manage that that movement higher and yields so that it's not overly destructive.
Speaker 5: So this is just the start. You're going to see more of this.
Speaker 2: What about one of the things that really we came back over the weekend on Monday and just the impact of the AI spend and build, and your hyperscalers, your big tech companies, you know, continuing to and they're still going in terms of tapping the debt markets and how that's crowding out treasuries, I think I can't remember who we spoke to. You said, we're not necessarily seeing a lot of selling, certainly here in the US by institutional investors, but they're not buying.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Carol, that's a fantastic question, and I'm glad you brought that up and you mentioned the magic word, which is crowding out, Right, we have to think about that concept. So what we know about the hyperscalers right now is that they are tapping the debt markets in massive size. Right, They are issuing a lot of debt. So it's some where if you just look over the last twelve months, they have doubled their run rate. Right, there's protections that the debt is going to be like one point seven trillion overall in the next twelve part. I mean, this is like, these are insane amounts of debt being race. Does that put pressure on long term bond yields moving higher? You bet you it does. And that's what's going on. So if you're the Treasury, right, And this is the way the Treasury thinks about this. It's a zero sum game. If the Treasury, if the duration of Treasury bonds are longer, they're going to compete for capital raises with the private sector, with the more productive private sector, which is AI capax and data centers and all that other stuff. So that crowding out effect is what exactly what you brought up, which is exactly what the Treasury, and I think the government, you know, the you know, the Trump administration is trying to figure out and say, look, the government, which tends to issue a lot of debt, is less productive than the private sector. So why should we compete with the you know, AI hyperscale a raise. Why don't we pull back a little bit. Let these companies go out there and issue debt and raise the GDP and employ people and do all kinds of things on the private sector side, so more of a supply side push. Then have the government do this right and compete for those you know, compete for those long term bondials. So I think this is a really important nuanced point that I haven't really heard spoken about enough in terms of how this is a positive I think for the.
Speaker 2: Markets, AH a positive for the markets. I find that really fascinating. And even as we continue to see issue and so we've got thirty seconds, we're going to come back. That doesn't worry you that it gets too crowded, well, certainly for treasuries.
Speaker 8: The thing, you know, it doesn't worry me in terms of the debt markets. What you know, what worries me is if there's a sharp slowdown and all that debt you know, becomes you know, somewhat burdens and going forward. But we're not there yet.
Speaker 2: We're not there yet. Who we're talking about AI? And it does seem like everyone we talk with our man deep seeing of Bloomberg Intelligence and the investments, looking at the balance sheets, looking at the fundamentals, The spend is still there, the backlog is still there. Jim, how do you guys, what do you think is the smart conversation to have around AI right now?
Speaker 8: So the way that we parse this out is we try to find areas in the markets where technology, technological innovation, potentially use of AI is actually unlocking a lot of free cash flow and a lot of operating leverage. And that's what we screen for and we end up creating baskets of equities to to to.
Speaker 5: Express these views.
Speaker 8: So look, today you went through a run rate of some healthcare sector related you know, companies that are doing super well, right, So it's no surprise that in the earnings reports for many of these companies, you know, this past quarter, that they're using a lot of AI to unlock a lot of operating leverage in their companies. So we think that there's so much of that, whether it's from the small caps and the mid cap sectors, where these many of these segments of the markets can get a significant advantage just from adding higher levels of productivity very cheaply, just by using AI. So you know, if it's a demand question, because demand right now is outstripping supply and that's what keeps the positive momentum going. I don't see this demand falling away anytime soon.
Speaker 2: We talked about it, don't fight the trade, don't fight it, Okay.
Speaker 4: No, I mean that's kind of what I wanted to ask, because I feel like all earning season, the big question was like when are we going to see the revenue, Like there's just been so much spending. I mean, I'm really focused on credit, but even on the equity side, like are you where are we in that cycle? Are you demanding as an investor? Shall we see that that problem?
Speaker 8: So right, we are at the infancy right, So if we record this conversation, come back and look at it a year from now, two years from now, three years ago, three years from now, we'll be going like, oh my gosh, what did we miss?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 8: So, right now, I think there's what we call a productivity gap. So if you ask individual people working at a company, do you use AI?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 8: Are you more productive? Yes, I'm twenty five percent more productive, just put a number on it, the CEO says, But I'm not twenty five percent more profitable. So how do we convert this new technology and by new I mean like this year, like several months ago, into higher margins? And companies corporations are figuring this out, but they have a lot of legacy systems, right, So you just can't like unplug one thing and plug something else in and expect it to work. But I can tell you that every day, every week, every month, we're incorporating more and more of this technology and it is becoming a large source of you know, of higher productivity for us so you know, where does it end, how far does it go? When do we start to see the you know, return on investment. You know, it's going to be lumpy, and I think some of the bigger spenders that are out there that are really investing, their whole goal is just fear of missing out. They don't want to miss the wave. But the beneficiaries of that is the broader economy. So what you're seeing is broadening in markets that's taking place, which I think is super healthy.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: One of the things on this, you know, and I was thinking about Alphabet did an issuance the Australian it's first Australian bond offering and the result in the company's highest ever yield on a note. I think they paid just under seven percent. It just continues, but we had a great story on the Bloomberg Buyers Sebastian Boyd. He said the rising cost of capital to fund the AI race is making US equity valuations increasingly untenable. The biggest risk, though, isn't higher borrowing costs. The industry is relatively low debt means companies are more vulnerable to equity funding costs that are set to rise along with financing needs. How's that factor in?
Speaker 8: It's debt capital markets, right, you know, you know, so this is the issue. Is your equity cost of capital more expensive than your debt cost of capital? If it is, then you issue bonds. Right, So you're if many of these companies have strong balance sheets and they can issue a lot more without risking a credit downgrade. You know, like this is your space, right, you know, this is what we look at, you know, with these strong balances, which means that their debt cost of capital raise is a lot more cost effective for them. So guess what, that's exactly what they're doing. This is what you're supposed to be doing. At some point it balances out. We're just again, like you know, we just started this, right, is this debt surge has just started in the last you know, several months, and I don't think we're at the tipping point.
Speaker 5: These balance sheets are big and there's lots of cash on them.
Speaker 4: But you know, people talk about exposure limits, particularly when it's not just Alphabet coming and issuing you know, corporate bonds. It's like them doing that and then Alphabet also maybe backstopping some other private credit deal with AI. There's a lot of exposure in a portfolio to a single name, when do you hit those limits? I mean, is that something that does exist at Morgan Stanley where eventually you do have to say, hey, we already enough, right, you know this much exposure to this company, they want to issue more, we can't participate exactly.
Speaker 8: So how you count the debt really matters, right, And you're I think Emily, you know, you bring up a really good point in terms of there's a lot of other debt outside of just the traditional public markets. Is private market debt. There's a lot of things that are out there that are you know, weighing on this. And look, you know, this is what we do as investment managers. We look at this and we try to understand is the you know, is the level of debt relative to the return?
Speaker 5: Is the risk? Right? Do we want?
Speaker 8: Am I getting paid enough to take this risk? So you know, it's a market like anything else, But you know, what's the point, like, what's the level that's that's really hard to say. I'd say that the biggest risk for any in any cycle. It's not just particular, it's not specific to this particular thing with AI and hyperscalers or anything is a sudden sharp stop in economic activity. That's usually what brings these things down. It could be an oil event, it could be a geopolitical event.
Speaker 5: It could be you.
Speaker 2: Know, but we've had that oil event.
Speaker 8: Yeah event, we've had those, you know, but but you know, it could be it could be a currency.
Speaker 5: You know, who knows what it is.
Speaker 8: I mean, is there's always something lurking that's out there that can create this you know that you know, that can create this sudden stop and can make people revalue these you know, this debt.
Speaker 2: One of the things that always seems to come up, and we've had this with various CEOs and folks who talk with the c suite pretty regularly, is that you know, they need certainty from the White House and the continued involvement. Even today, the President of course meeting with folks in the crypto industry, but he said next week we're going to meet with the AI people. The AI industries top people will attend the meeting. We want to regulate, but we want to have regulation where they can continue to lead. It's early, we'll see what happens, but we've seen a global push back when it comes to social media and the platforms. We've seen it in France, we've seen it in Europe. We've got Meta on trial. We'll see how this one plays out. And people think that there's going to be more to come, and even the possibility that these types of companies, the way they do business is what's being now is at risk.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So let's combine the last question with this right here, because this is critically important. So let's think about data centers, let's think about energy, Let's think about all of these various things, all of the policy factors. And we know that there's some pushback against data centers and everything else. If we just think mathematically through a textbook and say linearly, Okay, look, this is a really good technology. We should use it, we should invest in it, and it's great, the real world answer is like, but my utility costs are going higher, Voters are getting mad, politicians are reacting to that. They're responding. So when we start to think about the valuation of debt, whether it's in the private markets or it's in the public markets, we always have to put in a factor for what's the political risk. What if somebody else gets elected, or what if there's a new policy change, how do we factor that in? And it's almost impossible to do that because you can't anticipate policy changes very easily.
Speaker 5: But you could.
Speaker 8: You could put something in and say, well, how much of a cushion do I have if that were to happen. Let me look at the longer term contracts. How do these cash you know, how do the cash flows get you know, negotiated over time? If it's utilities, it could be utility raises, you know, is that schedule over a period of time and in those of those are things that we have to incorporate. So to the extent that there's you know, volatility around policy on this, I think that's going to stay with us, but we we have to build it into the price, and it just means that it's a higher risk premium for us to factor in. There's no really really other way to answer that because there's no specific numbers around it, right, but we have to build that in.
Speaker 2: You have to say this could happen, the space could be changing.
Speaker 4: Aside from policy pushback, what are the other kind of key risks with just the AI trade?
Speaker 2: Is it that there's.
Speaker 4: Too many names and like or is it like this, the technology might not prove to be as reliable as we expect.
Speaker 2: Right now, I have to say, the enthusiasm and the coziness and we talk about the circular finance like it just makes me a little nervous.
Speaker 8: Right, yeah, I mean, so, I'd say the concentration risk is something that we hear quite a bit.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 8: There's a lot of money funneling into a very very narrow sector and that usually doesn't end well, right historically. But you know, part of this too is that there are going to be winners and losers in this, Right, So there are companies that are making a massive spend and they might not get the return on investment, the ROI that they were hoping to get. Now, the question is is this a small company that's very narrowly focused and if they lose this, they lose everything, or is this like a very large, you know, multi franchise company that says, well, if I lose that, I can write that off. It's not gonna be great, it's not gonna be a great year for my stocks, but I can recover from it.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 5: So there's a lot of it.
Speaker 8: So the so the answer to a lot of it is how these companies are diversifying their risk. But you know, as time goes on, what history would suggest is that people get more and more and more concentrated and then there's a sudden break, there's a sudden stop and something changes, and yeah, there's going to be fallout from this, There's no question. Right Timing that is going to be really hard. Is that ten percent from now? Is that twenty percent from now? Is that tomorrow? You know, we don't know what that is. So you know, as investors, we just have to make sure that we understand the risk and that we're being compensated for the risk as best we can. And that's where the investment selection, you know, the quantitative analysis, the pop the optimization of portfolios, a correlation risk, all these things matter quite a bit in terms of how you construct your portfolio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and time will tell. I mean, I think, you know, it's hard not to feel sometimes it's a little bit of a foamo feel, right of just chasing this. As the build continues, I do feel like earnings are getting a little bit more discerning when it comes to that. And you know, certainly when we have some really big name IPOs, whether it's anthropic or open AI. We are increasingly getting a window into their financials, so we're not going to let you go yet. And I want to kind of look forward. We still have a few months left in the year. I feel like there's going to, you know, potentially be a lot coming at us, whether it's politics, whether it's more out of the White House, others earning cycles, and I am really curious about kind of what the Fed's going to do. So we're going to continue. Jim Karen's going to stay with us, Chief investment Officer Portfolio Solutions at Morgan Stanley Investment Management.
Speaker 6: Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Business Week Danley coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week Daily Podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five e's during this Listen on Apple Karplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: I want to get back to Jim Carren, chief investment Officer of Portfolio Solutions at Morgan Stanley Investment Management. We were just saying that we like when we can just kind of slow down and talk about some bigger stories. Jim, I am curious, like what you find interesting in this market cycle. Like I'll take a look at the most red stories in the Bloomberg right now, and you have SpaceX and tempting to acquire an AI coding startup, and there's a story about that. There's the best in story about the dead buybacks fed minutes Maderna. You have stuff about what's going on in the Middle East. I do wonder when you look at this, there's a lot that we always say is coming out everybody. What do you find interesting? Though? Right now?
Speaker 8: The most interesting thing going on right now is a change in the interest rate cycle. So we are leaving a regime where we've gone down steadily in rates. You know, I highlight the period nineteen eighty one to twenty twenty one to now. It's pretty much ingrained that we're probably not going to resume that what that catalyzes is higher nominal growth. We are in a higher nominal GDP world, right, So nominal GDP is real GDP plus inflation, right, And where we were for many many years where someone we had about one point eight percent growth and about one point eight percent inflation. We can never get above two. So nominal GDP was like three and a half to four percent. Nominal GDP right now as of second quarter is six and a half percent. Right, that's a whopping number.
Speaker 5: YEA.
Speaker 8: What that does when you have higher nominal growth, you it's good for cash flows, it's good for earnings, and it's good for earnings growth rates. Right, So what are we seeing this year? We're seeing an earnings boom that's taking place. It's not an accident. You have a higher nominal GDP, that's what you're going to get. So what we're what we're effectively doing now is when we think about balancing a portfolio, is we're thinking about what role how do I manage my fixed income risk relative to my equity risk. Equities in a higher nominal growth world, that's a tailwind, and a higher nominal growth world for bonds it's a headwind, right, because inflation and interest rates will up in that environment. So if we think about the level of yields today in tenure treasuries, it's about four point sixty four percent right now as we speak. Typically, historically, nominal GDP is the speed limit for ten year yields, meaning that ten year yields and nominal GDP historically tend to sit right on top of each other. Now, I'm not suggesting that ten your treasure yields are going to six and a half percent. What I am suggesting is that a four point six four point seven percent tenure yield is not is not something that's going to contract the economy. Ten year yields can gradually move higher as long as it's slow and as long as it's managed, they can move higher without hurting the markets. The number one question we get is at what level in the ten year yield it does it derail everything? You can't answer that question. You have to know where nominal growth is. In a six and a half percent nominal world, it's a higher number. In a four percent nominal world, it's a lower number.
Speaker 2: So then the question is, though, what is out there to derail growth? Yeah, and I think that's what we have to ask. And I think this is some of what we're trying to figure out. I understand aim making us more productive, but if it puts people out of work, like, what what's the economic impact of that? So what do you see as the risks to growth that are out there?
Speaker 8: So you know, whenever we get to these points where there becomes a lot of overinvestment in certain areas, and if there's a lot of hiring in certain segments of the markets, that could cause the unemployment rate to spike quite a bit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that you know, that.
Speaker 8: To me is something because consumption is seventy percent of GDP. If you lose the consumer, if you lose consumption, So you know, could that happen, if there's an inflation shock, if there's an energy shock. You know, people save their money instead of spending their money. Those things are more much more geopolitical at this point. From an economic fundamental standpoint, there's not much out there. You know, it's it's not very high risk at this point, Like you know, what's the recession call right now? It's a very very low probability. But you know, could something be triggered with say higher energy prices. Do you have political tensions? Could that change things? Absolutely, that could change things. I mean Russia, Ukraine, you know, all of these various all of these various components to me, inflation and potentially the FED having to hike interest rates in order to combat that that you know, by design is supposed to slow the cycle down. Right, So those things are what I worry about. But these are very big macro macro events.
Speaker 4: But you know, sentiment is down, and I think we do kind of think a lot about like Wall Street here at Bloomberg because this is you know, we're talking about Wall Street here, but you do look at social media and people are complaining about higher inflation since COVID that now their grocery bill is higher.
Speaker 2: Pre shaped economists none, it is feeling great.
Speaker 4: Down Like, how does Wall Street kind of square that in?
Speaker 5: Yeah, square that with Main Street?
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 8: So I use a hamburger analogy, right, So pre COVID, I could go to a diner and I can get a great hamburger for fourteen bucks. Now it's twenty bucks, right, So how do I make that hamburger that's you know, that twenty dollars hamburger fourteen dollars again, right, you're not going to it's not going to happen. The way that you solve that is by making that twenty dollars hamburger more affordable for everybody. And that means that you have to have higher wages, higher jobs, better jobs. So you know, President Trump was speaking today about manufacturing, the reindustrialization cycle in the US. These manufacturing jobs are really strong so when you talk about Wall Street versus Main Street, the strongest part of the jobs market is the trades market is skilled tradesmen, right, you know that are coming through electricians, plumbers, pipe fitters, you know, all of these areas. When if there's a data center that's being built in some rural area in the US or something like that, you get a lot of jobs. And if you get manufacturing jobs, the ratio of manufacturing jobs is six to one in terms of services jobs, meaning that for every one manufacturing job you create, you get six service sector jobs that come to support that. So that broadening, whether it's coming from the one big beautiful bill or the deregulation or the CAPEX spend. We're just getting started in this whole thing. So we're going to make that twenty dollars Hamburger more affordable and that should change sentiment, but it takes time.
Speaker 2: As long as those jobs stick around. Yeah, right, you can build a data center, then you move on or if you don't need right, like, those workers have to have a place to go. We were talking about summer vacations. When you came in, you're getting ready, just got about a minute left. Is there a book you take with you is the research or do you just say I'm done.
Speaker 8: You know, I'm not taking a book with me for this trip. I think what I what I tend to do is I tend to tend I tend to read a lot of financial news. I tend to read a lot of research that I can just get caught up on, you know, most of its economic theory, just because I think that we are in a very big changing point right now, and I think that relying too much on historical data today is this is going to be a mistake, and we have to think about a higher nominal growth world and more of a supply side dominated world as opposed to demand side dominated.
Speaker 2: We need to do more of that with you. Maybe bring Mike McKee on too, because I think that would be a great, fun, fun discussion.
Speaker 4: I'm just picturing like apparel sprits with a side of our star I keep money term premium.
Speaker 2: Yes exactly. We do do wine segments sometimes on Friday. Maybe we can couple them together. I've said it before, but I merely mean it. You're jem, thank you for giving us all this time. We love having this opportunity to do this. Jim Caron is Chief Investment Officer Portfolio Solutions at Morgan Stanley Investment Management.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Business Week Daily podcast, available on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern on Bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app, tune In, and the Bloomberg Business App. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube, and always he's on the Bloomberg terminal.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm